Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First. Rocky start to July goes without saying, and we're gonna break it down here on fish on First Live here on the Fish on First podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network, presented by Jetski Rentals of South Florida. I am Eli Susman, the founder of Fish on First, a solo show for Lisi's first few moments, but I expect others of my FLF staff to hop on as we're reacting to a series split between the Marlins and the Colorado Rockies. A whole lot to get into here, as well as some big picture details about where the Marlins stands at this particular moment in time, one that feels quite a bit different from how it is did less than forty eight hours ago, when they had a record setting month of June in a variety of ways, very convenient. How that all lined up, and we give the team its flowers for that didn't necessarily I think there may have been some overreactions overall to where the team stood just in the middle of this series, having won the first two games of it and then dropping the final two as advertised the highest scoring series for the Marlins this season by a wide margin in terms of the total run scored both for them and for the Rockies combines run differential almost split right down the middle, a couple of blowout wins going in either direction, and then a couple more competitive games in between. Is the Marlins are in the middle of a three city road trip this thing, the second leg of it. I wanted to talk quite a bit about Jacob Marcy and center field on this show. Wanted to talk about the starting rotation, which has been an ongoing topic for so much of this season, and how we're kind of at this point where I think there's a fairly obvious change for the Marlins to make moving forward. And yeah, beyond all that, we'll get to all of your questions in the live chat. For those of you watching on YouTube and Twitter, please weigh in. I could use your company and glad to use your ideas as bouncing starting off points to get into whatever is on your mind. As we're getting very close to the All Star break for this Marvelins team first half of the season that has largely gone very well in this series overall, there's really no shame in splitting a road four game series regardless of the opponent, the Rockies, as we covered, as I think a lot of people just know off the top of their head, this is one of the worst teams in Major League Baseball. They were one of the worst teams ever in twenty twenty five, but they were somewhat improved this year. And even though the Marlins swept them in Miami at the start of the season, as expected, it was a little bit more competitive this time around. Overall, I mean offensively, you gotta highlights of the guys that were stepped up for the Marlins in this series. Otto Lopez continuing to be awesome and Javier Sonoa. He won our series MVP honors and even pitched the final ending of this series. But offensively, Sonoha kind of redefining his entire season basically from as statistical perspective in the course of four games. That is why we never want to lean too much on what happens in Colorado over the course of these series. And this is you gotta take it while you have it, because this is the only trip of the Marlins make into Corse Field. It is going to skew some of the stats in a really heavy positive light for some of the hitters. But things will come back down to earth over the course of the remaining three months of the season once they don't go back in here. I know that Brian, one of our regulars, is checking in. It certainly a roller coaster series to have won the first two games ten to seven, and in the opener on Monday, Sandy not even particularly sharpened that one. In his history at Course Fields has been pretty poor overall, but the Marlins able to weather that and win it. Then the blowout win in that second game was fourteenth three. Basically everything was going great, and as Thomas Shows has described it to this serious finale was especially cringeworthy from a variety of aspects of a Marlins team, where when you're playing in Corse Field, there's a premium put on having balls in play, and so from that standpoint, things look like maybe're going pretty well for the Marlins in this one, a game where they actually got a lead right off the bat and had to lead into the middle dings. A Marlins team that is capable of coming back lanes of games, but usually it's not one that blow was a ton of leads this season, however, in this one. Part of the issue was not being able to capitalize with these run scoring opportunities. The fact that they only struck out three times in the course of a whole game at Course Field, he had only scored four runs. That's an anomaly. You just don't see that very often because how often balls put in play get rewarded in the spacious dimensions of Course Field. But they went completely hitless with runners in scoring position. So that is kind of what you point to each of the last two games, not driving in Kate taking advantage to one, they'd runners on base on a game where Michael Lorenzen was frankly pretty horrible. He walked six batters on his own. This is one of the higher games for the Marlins all season in terms of drawing based on bases on balls, and yet to lose that game is Yeah, I think that speaks of how much the bullpen struggled. This is one of the very worst games that the Marlins bullpen has had all year. I mean, from a runs allowed perspective, it certainly was. The Marlins hadn't allowed I don't know if people realize this, They hadn't allowed more than ten runs in a single game all season long until today when they allowed fourteen. So that shows quite out of step with what they've done this season. And something was bad luck. I mean, if you watch this game, a lot half of the runs came across in that bottom of the sixth inning, and the Rockies scored all those runs without a single extra base hit in that ending, which is a very hard trick to do. I think it's only been happens maybe a handful of times in Marlin's history, to have a whole half ending where you're only allowing singles and walks and whatever, and yet that it culminates in such a crooked number that made a difference in his game. Everybody got involved on the Rocky side over the course of this series was really Mickey Moniac and Hunter Goodman that did the most damage. Goodman is now on pace for like a fifty home run season. In Moniac, he hit home runs in three consecutive games during the course of the series. He flirted with a cycle on multiple occasions. And still I'll go back to the fact that I won't call it embarrassing when it's just a single series, when's on the road against them, a team that plays a lot better at coursefield than they do when they're on the road in the Rockies. So this is a team you're in and you're out. The stats kind of bear that out where this is where offensively they just are more explosive overall, and they showed that in this finale in particular. Now, the fact that Marlin's put up these good offensive numbers overall and they did it without anything whatsoever from Jacob Marcy, That's kind of where I definitely wanted to dive in on this one. We touched on him on the new episode of Fish on Filtered. You could get that wherever you're listening to this show, you can find Unfiltered with aj Ramos, Kevin Barrall Asakuzud, they had a little segment on Marcie. I think I'll go a little bit deeper on him because we're kind of are very close, I would think to a breaking point with him for a guy that early in this year, I think both myself and several others on the FLF staff, like we were we were preaching patients with Marcy, a guy that has such a well rounded profile who we felt was being unlucky early in the year, Like there were indicators that he was doing some of the same things positively at the beginning of twenty twenty six that he was doing at the end of twenty twenty five and just wasn't getting the results. In fact, he'd made some encouraging changes that made you think the ceiling was actually going to be a little bit higher for him moving forward. And yet he's had some bright moments. I remember there was a series against the Diamondbacks where he was about as valuable as anybody over the course of that series. I feel like his center field defense has been especially good in most May and June overall, and I think we've seen some highlight worthy plays, especially in recent weeks, where it's not really affecting him on that side of the but yet he's just not hitting. And this slump that he's had recently has been just a new degree of concerning compared to what he's done to this point. He's been statistically, he's been bad all year long offensively, but what he's done recently I don't think should be swept under the rug and shoudn't be grouped in this overall view of him as a guy that is due for some positive aggression like he's just been awful lately, and I think that matches the eye test. Had some opportunities today, in particular with stranded at least four runners on base when I checked in the middle of the game, and that's been that's been the frustration I think from Marlins fans that even in recent weeks, when the team has been playing as well, in fact better than any other team in baseball, there's been this frustration with Marci just because he's kind of held them back from it seems like winning these even more games. It felt like they had potential to be even more dominant in June if Marcy was anything close to a league average hitter. Yeah, the strikeouts have been a little bit high, but that's I think that's why it's been kind of hard to put your finger on what's wrong, because the overall he's putting balls in play, it's just a lot of weak pop ups overall this season. I can bring up some of his Baseball Savant numbers that kind of illustrate what's going on with Marcy right here. That his one thing he's really done that seems to be positive this year was trim his ground ball rate. He's been putting more balls in the air. He's been pulling balls more often as well. This has been a trend all year long where it felt like that was going to give him an opportunity for hit for a lot more power than he even did last season. Like, if he's sending everything to right field, he doesn't need a blast of ball four hundred feet so to get it over the wall. And that theoretically felt like as long as he's making the same good swing decisions as last year, as long as he's healthy, then he's going to get similar, if not better results. And yet it's everything else that it just isn't really going for him. You see all the really dark blue. He's just not hitting the ball hard at all compared to last year twentieth percent high entering today in hard hit rate. Yeah, the average exit VLO has been low, and he just hasn't been barreling very many balls at all. He's in the twelfth percentile in barrel rate. Like even when he gets off some of his a swings aren't even going to the warning track this year. So that's kind of the concern for a guy that, as far as we can tell, physically, he's fully healthy. He's been playing almost every single game, and that's been a little bit frustrating right where he's been struggling for this extended period, and yet they're still running him out there as if nothing is wrong. To this point in the season. It's been sitting against most lefties, but even not all of them. The Martins have given him such a long leash to the point where he's a fully qualified hitter. And I mean the big traditional number that jumps out is he's the worst qualified hitter in all of baseball, just in terms of batting average, if you want to keep it traditional. But it's also, as you know, I touched on with some of those other stats, is that he's not hitting for power, so he's not slugging. He's slugging under three hundred this deep into the season, a guy that was two hundred points higher than that during his partial season debut in twenty twenty five. That's yeah, that's kind of the big concern there is that even though he's still drawing his walks, he's still getting on base, and he's still stealing bases, not stealing them very efficiently, but still running aggressively. Like there are some silver linings or reasons to think that he can still offer something at the major league level, but the fact that he's playing almost every single day, he's now really rapidly emerged as one of the weakest links on this entire roster, not only even slumming. For most of the year, A lot of the iyer has been focused on guys that have already been either cut or sent down, and now to this point, as they're looking for other ways to optimize the roster, they need to seriously take a long look at what to do with Marcie because that's the thing. He's not turning the corner whatsoever. He has about two hits in his last forty at bats to this point, and the slug is what's missing as well. Where Like there is anyway you slice it, he's one of the weakest positions players at his position, and I would say the issue here is that this is not something you could really address in a trade. Like we've been talking on streams and we will continue to talk about what to do in terms of going outside the organization and looking for help. You're not going to trade for a starting center fielder in the middle of the season just because one those guys don't really get traded very often. If a guy is producing very well, especially offensively at the center field position, then is one of the more valuable players in all baseball. You just don't see those guys get traded during the middle of the season, even if they're on a non contenting team. So that's one and then the other side of it is that this is a front office that to this point has shown no inclination to give up some of their top prospects to get a deal done. Even if a guy is available. It's very hard to believe that the Marlins would be at the top of the list in terms of what they'd be willing to give up, especially considering that how Marshie has so many years of control still to go. This is a guy that is still just what twenty four years old, about to turn twenty five, where even if this is a you could almost write it off as a lost year to this point, doesn't mean that it's the end of the line for him. Like there's still a lot of hope for him. Something to click. It is entirely reasonable for somebody to have a sophomore slump for back of a letter phrase, better phrase, and then bounce back and almost pick up right where he left off as a rookie. It's just that there is, you know, increasing urgency to make adjustments from a roster and usage standpoint so that they win these games. We've seen them slide him out of the leadoff spot. I don't think he's going to be hitting lead off anytime for this foreseeable future. He hit seventh for several games in this series and that's been his most common spot as of late. So I mean that's one baby adjustment. The other considerations is that history Ruiz, who's been a very nice surprise offensively this year for the Marlins in all aspects, like defensively, his history in centerfield is pretty poor, that there is a somewhat significant drop down in terms of defense when you play him too often. Javier Sonoha we covered him just a moment go because of how much he's turned it on offensively. He can play anywhere he could play, including center field if needed. It's just at the same time when he's playing center field, then that creates a void at third base, and third base is the void that we were focusing on just over these last few weeks until Sonoha at this point is now kind of their primary option there for the short term, and that's kind of a position where we expect them they could go outside the organization and address the third baseman. So that is something that could come together maybe a month from now when the deadline actually arrives. But now the question is how do they navigate that next month at the very least when it comes to this. So just some final thoughts on what else they can do. I know that Thomas Joseph here Mensing, Andrew Pintar, who's having like a solid year, a little bit better than he was last year. He's just as good defensively in center field in my opinion as Marci. He is a pretty comparable base runner as well. It's just that offensively there are more obvious holes in him even compared to Marci, Like there is a scenario where Pintar hits even worse than Marcy does from both a power standpoint and an on base standpoint, especially at least Marcy is getting on base. Some of the other options that are on the forty men roster, They've Reese Hines, they have resigns that just acquired in a trade a month ago from Cincinnati, but he hasn't really been hitting like he's been hitting almost as poorly at Triple A as Marcy has been hitting in the Major Since that trade went down, He's had a very well for the most part, successful minor league career. But similar to Pintar, he's a guy that his skill set lends himself to a lot of strikeouts and not a whole lot of on base if who were to be called up, So that's a concern. They've Matthew Etzel as well, who they acquired at last trade deadline. I think it's kind of a stretch to play him defensively in center field. He did have a bit of a power serge earlier this season that was kind of interesting. He's kind of a much lower ceiling player than even Hines, for example, and certainly the Marcy. But he's just on the forty men roster for now, so I don't think anything is totally imminent with Marcy. The All Star break would kind of be a natural breaking point for whatever reason, he continues to slump this severely. That's why I wanted to emphasize is that it's not just a continuation of bad season long performance. It's that things are getting worse and not better, Like there's just no sign of him flipping a switch. It's a lot of pop ups, it's a lot of strikeouts looking and there's not nearly enough from the other aspects of his game to make it to justify it. So, yeah, they're kind of in a tough spot just because there isn't another center fielder knocking on the door at Triple A. It's more so about do you trust any of the guys currently in the roster to take over and then kind of rearrange the seats around that, considering like if you move things around as any way to get Kemp Alderman in the mix up from Triple A and find at bats for him at either first base DH or the cornal field spots more along those lines. Yeah, there's not an obvious solution right now, but I did want to go a little bit more deep because I know a lot of people are thinking about it, even seeing some one trade candidate that OSMANI brings up in the chat, Jaron Duran from the Red Sox. That'll be something to take a closer look at as we get closer. But a guy that the Red Soxs would be selling pretty low to move him right now, and I just have a hard time seeing them do that, considering how high his value was just a year or two ago. But I kind of agree with beefcat in here that just mentally, Marcy doesn't seem to be in a good spot. Mechanically, I don't think he's in a good spot either, just based on kind of the batted ball results. Kind of speak volumes about the fact that he's especially against fastballs. I don't want to go too deep in the weeds on this stuff, but that's kind of the biggest difference from last year to this year is that he's not punishing fastballs when he gets it, and he's taking a lot of fastballs for called strikes in a way that shows that both his I think, his approach, as well as mechanically, this is stuff that could be fixed in relatively short order when he gets sent down to the miners, because we've seen the Marlins do it with other guys this season, last season. Over the course of these last two seasons, there's a pretty significant number of guys that we've seen that have been able to turn it around very quickly once they get out of the very intense spotlight of the major leagues. So we're trending in this direction, I would think if he doesn't pull out of this slump relatively soon. But yeah, a whole lot more to cover. I want to talk a little bit about starting pitching, and then we're going to look ahead, of course, to the rest of this road tip. First, let's hear from our sponsors.
Speaker 2: At Quint's people dehydration sucks, Quints, electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 3: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon, I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 2: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's Qui n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Feud and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, street cure or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Finishing up this conversation really quick with some comments, Griffin conin can he play center field?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Well, I shouldn't say that he can't play center field. It's just that he hasn't played center field really at any point in his life, even though he is a good corner outfielder, and you know, theoretically a lot of those guys, if you feel you're an above average corner al filder, you could fake it in centerfield. But pretty much every team that he's ever been on, it's kind of agreed that it's stretching him a little bit too much to have him out there. It's not the craziest idea, it just would be highly unconventional for a guy in his very late twenties who has really never played the position to get some reps there, But that is a name I guess to bring up. If I'm going to bring up this stere rue, I'm gonna bring up Hovier. So Noha co and I might not be worse than them in centerfield, but I think it would be a bit of a liability, if nothing else, just due to the lack of experience up there. Thomas Joseph reminding us about a Jake Mangum who is in the organization a few years ago, and it's actually turned into a very useful Major leaguer with a couple of different teams, most recently the Pirates. Now he can lay some centerfield, but yeah, they're not gonna be able to get him back right now. Maybe they could swing a deal as the season progresses. That's one option out there. Overall's in a pretty tough spot for them, So I kind of understanding why they're gonna let it. They're gonna let it play out a little bit longer, but something that I think the team actually absolutely has to seriously re evaluate as we get to the All Star break in terms of what to do in center field. So one other thing from the series and from this very final game of the series. This was a Ryan Gusto led bullpen game. We've seen them do that for the better part of a month ever since a series of injuries struck their rotation, and Gusto wasn't particularly good in this game. As has been the case, he didn't go deep, and that's kind of the plan where the Marlins don't trust him to go even two full times through the order. And as as mentioned before, the bullpen behind him was absolutely horrendous today between Calvin Fouchet, even John King had one of his weaker outings during what's otherwise been an excellent year. Cad Gibson in a mop up role couldn't really slow the bleeding at all. And I saw a lot of feedback on this about where's Braxton Garrett, because Braxton Garrett just yesterday and Triple A had another outstanding outing, not just eight scoreless endings, but like this is something that he'd been doing on a pretty consistent basis now for most of the season. Now. We saw Braxton come up to the big leagues on the heels of his first good stretch at the Triple A level that was all the way back in May wasn't it, And two starts that both of them followed a very similar script where for whatever reason, this guy that is so accomplished and consistent in terms of just throwing strikes wasn't able to do so during those couple of starts. He put the Marlins pitching staff in a horrible spot in those games, was only going two three innings in those outings, and they sent him back down and we haven't seen him since. And since going back down, he's been even better than he was in that previous triple A. Since the start the year, he really couldn't get much better in terms of the er standpoint one five to five is the current number on him, but it's even the underlying numbers that look better this time arounds, where it's harder to believe that he's gonna have the same lapse in strike throwing if he gets another opportunity, because in his most recent outing didn't walk a single batter. He's had several of those walkless outings over the past month and a half ever since he got sent back down for good, which is kind of what we expected, Like this is a guy that has absolutely nothing left to prove at the Triple a level he was sent down. And remember at the start of the year, because the Marlins just felt really confident that they had five better starters at the moment, or at least they had four, and they also had Chris Paddock on a guaranteed deal. Circumstances have changed pretty dramatically since then. Chris Paddock is gone, and they absolutely do not have five, really like the starters that you feel good about right now, they have three and a half maybe four if you're being generous a Tyler Phillips. And it's really and hard any way you slice it to have more confidence in Gusto right now than Braxton Garrett, given that even the Marlins themselves has kind of made it clear that they see Gusto as more of a long reliever in disguise right now. So not that there's anything in particular about this Gusto appearance that was a red flag. It's just that you kind of have this as a player overall. He's kind of baked in this mediocrity, like there's never any high expectations for Gusto. I guess it's hard to see any scenario where he actually turns into even an average starter, whereas with Braxton, like we've seen him be an average or better starter at the big league level not that far long ago, and I think we've reached that point where their schedules are even lined up very well, where Braxton would be on regular rest, if not a little extra rest to make this next appearance when this rotation spot comes up again on the next home stands, and he'd be able to squeeze in a couple starts over that final home stand before the All Star break. So more so than just the fact that I think Braxton has for a variety of reasons like has the higher floor. I don't want to say higher floor just because we saw a couple outings from him earlier this year where he was as bad as a starter could be. It's just that he has the higher ceiling at this point than Gus, So he's just a better player overall, even though we haven't seen it at the big league level now for a little while. There's that, and also just the fact that, as we've covered, I think almost any way that you play this out, the Marlins should be looking to add external starting pitching on top of what they have internally. And the only reason, the only way that that might not be the case is if gre Garrett flips the switch and shows that he's right up there with any potential trade acquisition. You're only going to find out if he's one of those like real solutions if you give him opportunities to do so at a big league level. So in a moment where Gusto is the alternative, there's still a little bit of a lagdown until Jansen Junk comes back. So Junk is making his REHEB appearance right tomorrow on Friday, And if I was the Marlins, I don't know what they're going to do. If I was them, I'd have Junk making his REEB appearance on Friday, and then I would play it slow with him and having to make one more REHEB appearance the following week, and instead have Braxton make a couple of major league starts in the meantime, because you know what you have in Junk. Junk is a guy that he's going to contribute to the pitching staff one way or the other. He is out of minor league options regardless, so they can't actually statch him in Triple A the way they've been doing for Braxton. You're gonna have junk as part of this pitching staff down the stretch, but not necessarily as a starter. You know, he can be really useful in a multi ending relief role. But the Marlins need clarity on Garrett. This is a guy that is very steadily getting closer to free agency and is again at this moment, I just don't see any justification for why he's not on the major league pitching staff if you want to, like really explore all the opportunities, like, there's no reason why he's not a He could be a reliever on this major league pitching staff at the very least at this moment, at a time where they have Kid Gibson, they have Zach Brooksey. All due respect to Zac Broksy, but there's no particular reason why he's on this team right now other than if you felt like they needed a fresh arm. So Braxing Garrett needs to be part of this major league pitching staff immediately. I feel more strongly about that than I do about Jacob Marcy, for example. In either direction, they just need clarity on what he can do and if for whatever reason they still are just very skeptical about him being a viable starter anymore at the major league level, then at least see what he could potentially do out of the bullpen at a time where they're just so reliant in lefty matchups on John King, who for the most part has been incredible this year, but they do need a second viable left he Kaid Gibson is not going to become that guy. Can't put any expectations whatsoever on Andrew Nordy, who's now out within the Troy Johnson treatment, you could say, and it's well, it's different than the Troy Johnson treatment, and that of course, we've seen him at the big league level for a handful of years right now. That's really the interesting part. He's making twice the money of a minimum salaried player right now, they are still paying him that And that's an interesting wrinkle too, is that they are paying extra to not have him part of the big league team, whereas they're like relying on these other very fringe pitchers right now to fill out their pitching staff. So I feel like this last start really added some clarity to the fact that Braxton should be up at the big league level and see what you got and then reevaluate from there. So yeah, we'll see how it goes. I think there is potential for this starting rotation to actually come together quite nicely if he is able to flip that switch. But again, you just don't know unless you put him in an opportunity to do so. He'd be able to face a couple solid offenses right away, right off the bat, and if he is on this next homestand between the Seattle Mariners and the Cleveland Guardians, and it's more so about looking towards the next month or so, we're having him make a couple starts after the deadline as well, would even add more clarity about what's going on. But there's overall some relatively good problems to have because they do have junk on the verge of returning, and because I don't want to skate, I don't want to gloss over Tyler Phillips too much. Like Phillips has been good as they started starting pitcher. At this point, we already know that he's awesome as a reliever, and with the exception of one blow upouting against the Phillies, Garrett has been very Garrett Phillips has been like a very positive asset since he's been stretched out. Overall, so that's a very positive development to have too, So I just feel like this is the next logical move on the pitching side. And then once Junk gets back from his injury, then and hopefully knock on wood, that the Anthony Bender situation plays out all right. There is some concern, of course, that he has a very similar injury it feels like to what he had last year that prematurely ended his twenty twenty five season to his shin. But hopefully he's able to return shortly after the All Star break, and then, yeah, the pitching staff is never going to be at full strength. That's unrealistic for any team, but that's about as close as they could get if Garrett comes up, Junk comes back from his injury, and Bender has a relatively quick return as well. So yeah, for this moment, before we get into the A series and I go through more of your live chat questions, I want to shout out one of our presenting sponsors. That's jet Ski Rentals of South Florida. This podcast is brought to you by Jesske Rentals as South Florida, offering Miami's best jet ski and boat adventures with six jet ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats. There's something for every style and every budget. Rad Jetski is ride in front of the downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel or book your own private boat starting as low as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time that you reserve it. You haven't made plans for this holiday weekend. I imagine that this is about as busy as uh Jesske Rentals at South Florida gets at any point this year. But you got to make a reservation. The reservation based only. To book, call three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or check them out online at sfjessk Rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on first to receive ten percent off your next booking. Again, that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or online at sfjesk Rentals dot com. As we're back on FF Live, I am Eli Sussman pretty deep on the Solo show, breaking down where the Marlins stands in the middle of this road trip. As is a required, I actually need to flash up the National League Wildcard standings. I know people love to check in on this, especially when the Marlins are so close to where they want to be. As of this very moment, half a game out of that third and final wildcard spot. The Cubs are surging again to take a stronghold at the first spot in the Phillies right behind them. So the Marlins are battling with the Cardinals, Nashs, the Padres and the Pirates and Diamondbacks are still within view for now and the time being. You still got to keep it going. This stuff changes very This has change so dramatically in the course of just a single series. And the thing is, the Marlins have only lost about I think one series over the last month plus. Since the start of June. They've lost one total series, even this Rockies one was a split, and that's how they've been able to steadily climb to where they are now. At the same time, they've flipped in the other direction like they could slide pretty dramatically too. I don't think people I saw some overreactions just a couple days ago about dreaming big about not shifting the focus from the wild card race to potentially chasing down the Braves at the top of the National League East. The Praiers have been something, but I think these past couple of days are a reminder that this Marlins team is still pretty flawed. And I think realistically, I'm not going to make that leap to even bring the division into the conversation for a franchise that has never won the NL East. I don't think this is going to be the year, and they're gonna have to get a whole lot closer to the praise before I even put that on the table for people to consider. And yeah, so just going through these comments on everybody to see where we're at. Yeah, some of the moves that were made tactically over these past couple games to deserve scrutiny with the pinch hitting. This has been a trend that we've gone over, of course on streams kind of all year long, about how the Marlins are very strict about platooning and matching up as closely as possible. My guy, Isaac gazood his second podcast of the day as he's checking in for the final few moments of the show as well. Yeah, Isaac, I guess I want to get your words just a few minutes after I gave my thoughts on on Braxton and the rotation and the fact that this is something we've talked about a lot. I think we've kind of like glossed over the fact that Brax has been so good at Triple A, including his most recent outing was like his best one. So as watching today as the team gave up fourteen runs and a Ryan Gusto led bullpen game, do you think we're close to saying Brax get another shot. I know we went very poorly for him a couple of months ago, but the way that I kind of laid it out, this is the time where they need some clarity on him. He's twenty nine years old, He's pitched parts of like six big league seasons. There's in order to get clarity in terms of what to do, potentially go out and acquire a starter at the deadline. You know, it would be great to just give Braxe one more opportunity before then and then kind of assess based on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've heard his name and over the last week we will definitely see him at one point again.
Speaker 4: I also heard probably Blaylock's name.
Speaker 5: I just think that Braxton, at least he has had some sort of opportunity. He's had some sort of monocum of success over his pretty pretty lengthy major league career at this point, so you know, they don't give him a least one more opportunity this season and be a little bit surprising. I know, how awful and how uncharacteristically bad and wild he looked in his first try up this season, and he has looked just as dominant in Triple A as he did in that first stint before the.
Speaker 4: Initial call up. But yeah, I mean we did played McCollough.
Speaker 5: How sustainable this bullpen slash Ryan Gusto turns and the rotation can be.
Speaker 4: I didn't think Gusto was awful.
Speaker 5: I think maybe they give this turn to the rotation one more time, getting out of the West Coast and getting out of these hitter paradises.
Speaker 4: So we'll see.
Speaker 5: But they having what nice lengthy home stand to experiment with some different arms, because yeah, they're gonna need to write the ship quickly.
Speaker 1: M and yeah. So there's three serius left between now and the All Star Break for this Marlins team. The next one up is against the A's. We're gonna have boots on the ground and Sacramento for the weekend series Jeremiah Geiger, who's on mostly the streams with us. Part of the reason why he's unavailable is he's gonna be driving down from Oregon to get all the way to Sacramento. Checking another ballpark off our list. Isaac has been responsible for checking a lot of the roads ballparks that we've done over the course of the few years, and this is another one to add to the Ledger. The only opportunity this will be the only time for the Marlins visit Sacramento because the next time that they play on the road against the A's that they'll be in Vegas. At this point, the A's are a team that I think we're somewhat of a sexy pick entering this year just because of how on paper, how deep their offense looked led by Nick Kurtz, of course, but with so many like standouts to different positions, it's felt like a year where they could be a contender for the first time in a very long time and bring Major League playoff baseball to Sacramento for the first time ever. But Isaac, I think they're the Marlins are catching them at a pretty good time. They's have lost eight of their last eleven games. They were leading their division for a little bit, and now they've dropped down to fourth. They got some key injuries. They just lost Brent Rooker for the entire year. They're without their starting shortstop Jacob Wilson, who was batting title contender just last year. They're without Tyler Solderstrom as well, they're starting left fielder, and their pitching staff still stinks. Like their pitching staff is almost as bad as the Rockies. The Marlins aren't going to put up I don't think quite as many runs, but they could come pretty close. Because this this A's staff collectively for the entire season as an Era A Round five, and it's been a lot worse than that lately. So, yeah, what do you think about the way that things line up for this series, these next three games against the A's.
Speaker 5: It's concerning because a lot of times when the Marlins are meeting these quote unquote teams at the right time, it's sort of they're a green light to play, to start playing well again.
Speaker 4: So hopefully that's not the case here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, regarding that pitching staff, I'm not quite sure whether to chalk it up to being in that weird ballpark, or playing a couple of games in Las Vegas, or the fact that they just simply stink. And I think it might be the latter in this case. It's just gotten a lot of guys past their prime here and we'd be remiss not to mention this season Nick Kurtz is having some familiar faces on the A's as well. But yeah, this is a pretty big series, especially after winning the first two in Denver. These first two series were sort of maybe layups here for Miami to keep the winning going. Losing the last two hurts a little bit. I was pretty certain they're gonna win at least three out of four going into today, but they're gonna need Miami's pitchesing need to show up in a bigger way here as well.
Speaker 1: With this A's team, I guess one of the few offseason moves they made was adding Jeff McNeil, a long time Marlin's killer when he was with the Mets, but he's been pretty awful this year for them as like their primary second baseman. So he's one of the few guys, the few true veterans that they have offensively. And then, aside from Kurtz being the obvious one. Shay Langleiers has been one of the better all rounds catchers in baseball this year, as was the case last year for them. So that's coming up. On the pitching side, it's gonna be Tyler Phillips, it will be Sandy and then Yuri. I guess before we go to predictions, I want to get your thoughts on Uri, because this is a guy I was super high on entering the year, and he was relative's expectations. He was a bust for that first month and a half on Sila's injury, like he was just getting hid a lot harder than we felt as should, having occasional big lapses and being able to throw strikes and overall it was just watching him and covering him. It was the intangibles too. It's like things would really snowball on him when things went out of whack and it didn't feel like he was truly getting it that perhaps like he was just gonna be held back from actually reaching his potential. And now, including this most recent start against the Rockies, he was pretty awesome. He allowed an early run and then he immediately shut things down from there. So, yeah, how are we feeling about Yuri at this point and his potential so far when he's been hurt and when Sandy's kind of been up and down this season, like Uri still has in my opinion, he still has the highest ceiling of any picture on this team, like especially I don't think Max now that the undefeated streak is over, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Uri is the best pitcher on this team the rest of the way, and perhaps they kind of need him to be if they're actually gonna things are gonna pay off. So yeah, at what's your confidence level in Uri? Now that he's healthy again and the results have been there a couple of starts since coming back from injury.
Speaker 5: It's been a tale of two seasons for Uri, with that second part of the season being split because of that trip to the IL, that short and sweat trip to the IL, which I'm worse of fortune.
Speaker 4: The Marls are very lucky that it was as short as it was.
Speaker 5: But yeah, with Yura, the first you know, I should say more than the first half up until maybe mid May was there. He was just walking an uncharacteristically high amount of guys and for him that was really weird because one of the things that made it was such a top prospect in Major League Baseball, was the fact that he had that stuff along with such pinpoint control, and it just wasn't showing up this season at all. In a very strange way too, because then he was also getting hit ridiculously hard.
Speaker 4: So it's good to see. I think it was a starting against.
Speaker 5: New York where he really threw what was the six and thirty intings of one run ball, and since then he's only given up tour and runs over his next three starts, and that includes his two starts since coming off the IL. He looked good in his return since being reinstated against Texas. I believe I was covering that game, and then, like you mentioned, in Denver, which has been a surprisingly good place for him to pitch. I think last year he had a pretty good start in course field as well. So we've loved what we've seen since coming back. We've loved what we've seen since right before he went on the IL, so it's good to see he didn't lose any steam since going on to the entry.
Speaker 1: M As people I'm here from the chat, the A's are one of the teams that are in a very similar payroll bracket to the Marlins, but overallto nobody spends quite as little as Marlins do on this particular team, but it is an interesting matchup from that standpoint, I suppose I do have some like vague memories the last time that the Marlins played on the road against the A's. You remember what notable event happens like two years ago when Marlins made the visits of the a Is that's when they traded a round. Yeah, moments before the series opener of that game is when he was getting hugs from the dugout, news was breaking that I got traded to San Diego. So that was the last time that these teams met on when the Marlins as the road team during that series. And you know, overall, not a lot of history between them, as you might expect given the fact that they are in different leagues and all that stuff. So before prediction time got to hit our five to add from our friends at FanDuel.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy, Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: This is prediction time. That's my prediction, but who knows. We wrap up our show with prediction time as always. It's good that Isaac is here because I have the like pull his arm, twist his arm. That's the saying, twist your arm to get you to make predictions when you're not on the stream itself. Yeah, he's nowhere to be seen on this leaderboard. This is just a cough. For those of you watching the live stream, will look at where people stands. We record the predictions from our fof staffers, our livestream guests, and are valued super subskip points for predicting how many games Marlins will win? Who will be this series MVP as the term by win probability added Jeremiah is starting to run away with this. He picked up a couple more points this past years by predicting a split, as did I. Most people thought the Marlins are gonna win it, even though it's it's hard to win four game set on the road, regardless of the opponent. So yeah, there's the current outlook right there. Still play time to get in your predictions before this next series is a late night start on Friday, so more than twenty four hours for you to make predictions. If you're not a super sub already, this is the perfect occasion to do so. That helps support everything that we do, and we do our best to show that you're valued for doing so when you. Yeah, our support us for as little as four bucks a month for some of those super sub subscriptions, So yeah, we've kind of laid out the situation right here, the final road series for the Marlins during the first half of the season. We're going to get the music going, and then we'll go to you, mister Isaac, for your wise predictions for these three game set between the Marlins and the A's.
Speaker 5: All right, it's going to be a new ballpark for the Miami Marlins. We'll have boots on the ground for that one. With that being said, the Marlins they're still hot. I'll still call them hot despite losing the last two. Here, you got Tyler Phillips. Tomorrow, I think Miami wins two out of three in Sacramento. Tim some sort of hots, you're going back into Miami. I'm gonna go with Tyler Phillips a series MVP.
Speaker 1: All Right. It's been very rare for me to predict a Marlins series win this season. I'll have to do it here just because the way that the timing of this goes with the pitching lines up, I think the Marlins are going to take two out of three as well from the A's on the road and finished off would be a very successful roachrip overall and do a three leg road trip, and you don't actually lose any of the series. That is an extreme accomplishment, regardless of the opponents. And I think the Marlins are gonna do it here that offensively. They're going to continue overall what they did well in Colorado. Again, the only hang up those last two couple games were production with runners in scoring position, But I think overall the season the Marlins have been fine from that standpoint, so I'm gonna kind of write that off as an anomaly. Yeah, a lot of focus on Jacob Marcy from fans standpoint, imagine these next few games, But as long as the other guys in this line take care business and take some of the pressure off of him, they'll be fine. And I'll go with my serious MVP pick. How about I'll go with Xavier Edwards. I haven't gone with him very often this season, and he's quietly been playing very well as of late. I feel like he gets overshadowed by Otto and his leading the league in hitting and then most recently, guys that get red hot Javier Snoha in a particular series, own casing to another, I think ex Is still is extremely reliable. Trust him to be on the field for all three games, and yeah, the Marlins take two out of three, get back to their winning ways, finally win a game in July, set off some fireworks over the weekends. On the fourth of July Hidden Balls over the Wall at a Sotter Suitor Health Park whatever that is called their first and only visit to Sacramento as a Big League team. We will wrap up our show right there, Eli Susman Isaac azout here on fish on First, Live on the Fish on First podcast presented by Jessica rensels O, South Florida on the foul Territory Network. Easy for me to say if you haven't a ready got the new episode of Unfiltered with Isaac and Kevin and AJ. A lot of good stuff on there, checking in on hypothetical mid season awards that you'd be given out, and additional stuff on Marci there from them as well going over it, and a whole lot more coverage from us coming up. Of course, we'll have more streams after every single series, and next week I think we'll have a bonus stream just because all of a sudden, the MLB Draft is upon us too, and that is historically one of our most popular shows every single year, so we expect to be streaming as the Marlins make their first pick fourteenth overall a week from Saturday. More details to come on that, and we hope you join us for that very important moment with this franchise as well. So a whole out of coverage about this Marlins major League team of course, everything going on in the pipeline, and ongoing coverage of any potential trade scenarios as well. We know that's going to overwhelm the conversation as it always does during the month of July. Thanks again for all the support for tuning into the show. Next episode coming up after the A series on Sunday, so follow all our coverage and have very happy holiday weekends as always, go fish yeah
Speaker 5: H