Speaker 1: I Heeart three D audio.
Speaker 2: For fall exposure. Listen with that phones.
Speaker 3: Havoc Town is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Mankey Headphones recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: See here's the October eighteen seventeen. Have sent the boys to stay with my sister in Concord. I hadn't the heart to tell them of their father's dire situation. Noah bore her departure with a sort of grim stoicism that he's never shown. Is the fever taking root? Who was he putting on a brief face? I do not know. He became agitated last night, threw a plate against the mantle. His rage seemed to shadder along with it, and when he turned to me to apologize, his eyes were filled with bloody tears. Assume we will have to bind him to the bed with that of the ropes. Soon, Father Abbis will begin in Vain, his fight against the devil. I will be there. I will be there until the bitter end.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but I could use a series of drinks.
Speaker 4: Better get to it, then?
Speaker 5: Hold up?
Speaker 4: What look it is?
Speaker 2: Coming out of the old bell knap hotel with what looks like a wheeltor Hey, say.
Speaker 1: Too, I know he's coming over.
Speaker 6: Hello ladies, Jerry.
Speaker 1: Hi, what you doing at the abandoned hotel?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: I was, yeah, I was just giving it a once over. It's a lovely old building, isn't it. That would be such a shame just to see it brought away.
Speaker 4: I think, Oh, are you considering buying it?
Speaker 7: Well, I think that a working hotel would fit in nicely with the Havoc entertainment district. The well the Tanneris and factories of my forebears feel a little how shall one put it outdated?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: If I'm going to do something with them, it wouldn't be to open the back up for their intended purposes.
Speaker 1: Yes, do go on?
Speaker 7: Well, uh, imagine a regional hub for entertainment. I'm working with the state government to loosen laws on gambon. So a casino a casino, among other things, but a casino as an anchor could attract a massive amount of tourism to this region and to this town in particular.
Speaker 4: That's pretty ambitious.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm an ambitious guy.
Speaker 6: What do you what are you reading?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh, nothing at all? History or which history it's not important.
Speaker 7: Come on, let me see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's some spicy stuff.
Speaker 7: Turns out I'm familiar with the spies. At any rate, I'm late for a conference call. It was nice to see you both, lovely surprise in an otherwise.
Speaker 1: Dull vey, The pleasure is all ours.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow night, tomorrow night.
Speaker 7: Well, have a good afternoon.
Speaker 1: Does he have to be rich and good looking?
Speaker 4: Booze, booze?
Speaker 1: I think this town could use a nice injection of energy. Imagine the business from a working hotel right across the street.
Speaker 4: No, it would be a bump.
Speaker 1: But back to the important stuff.
Speaker 4: Murder, ah, murder.
Speaker 1: This must be super weird for you.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 1: Finally getting the inside scoop on the old family lore.
Speaker 4: I mean, I knew it was messed up, but this is really something else.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also not thrilled about the current parallels I'm seeing with their blood fever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is troubling, double trouble.
Speaker 4: Oh, filler up that a girl. I wonder how Jimbo's doing. I need to call Barbara to check in. He was not well when we saw him last.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he'll pull through. He's a tough old bird.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Still, how much of that diaries left. We're getting to the end of Demarus's bit. Looks like.
Speaker 1: Jesus they brought the whole cavalry.
Speaker 4: That's foreboding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably nothing to courage.
Speaker 4: Courage. WHOA, why did you shoot it?
Speaker 1: I thought we were shooting it.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not shooting a rocks glass full of whiskey, coward. Do you want me to keep reading? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And for a penny and for a bound.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, go it. The ninth of October eighteen seventeen.
Speaker 2: Last night, with Noah's permission, we bound him and foot to the bed with heavy rope. He has been fever since the evening, the sweat pouring from him in heavy red streams that steamed the bedclothes and the mattress beneath. Josiah Praise. I do my best to keep them fed, to put the cup to Noah's mouth. When he cries out in thirst, I wipe his brow with cool cloths from his sore muscles. Josiah Praise. In the middle of the night, Noah screamed out for me to release him. He called me any number of horrible names, cursed my soul to hell for keeping him. Died down and then, as if nothing had happened, he calmly asked after the boys and throughout all, Josiah.
Speaker 6: Praise our Father, who art in heaven. That would be thy name, will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day, our daily bird, and forgive us our trespasses. If we forgive those who trespass against us, it lead us not into temptation, but deliver. What is it?
Speaker 2: He is resting? We need to let him rest. The devil does not rest, perhaps, but you need to eat to keep up your strength. Come, no, and I prepared him, mirror. The devil will still be here when you get back. Very well, just a simple porridge. I've boiled water for tea as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you, Demrs. Your demeanor tells me you have something to say out worthy.
Speaker 2: I will speak plainly.
Speaker 6: Go on.
Speaker 2: Then, this is beyond us. It has been beyond us from the start. Perhaps, what do you intend to do?
Speaker 6: I intend to eat and then to return to No aside.
Speaker 2: Are there no more doctors, no science to help you combat this?
Speaker 6: Science cannot save it? Now?
Speaker 1: How do you know?
Speaker 6: Dread carefully to me.
Speaker 2: I have dread carefully throughout all of this. I have dread carefully since her families fell. I have dread carefully on the earth that you have displaced, digging bodies out of the church or to defile. And none of it, none of your prayers, or your mutilations or madness, have even slowed the progress of this vile disease. He stood suddenly ho for me, eyes wide with rage and sorrow. I was terrified, and yet I stood firm. I have tread carefully since the day I crossed the threshold into this house and became your daughter in law. I held such a deep respect for you, Josiah, a man of principle of vision. But now, ah, how your parishioners have come to fear you more than they fear the devil.
Speaker 4: Don't you see it?
Speaker 2: They fear you more than the Almighty. They say that you've gone bad, and you have father you have.
Speaker 6: Further, will often present this madness to those who refused to see God's light. My daughter, we are not judged in the end by our easy acts of faith. We are judged by our actions, and times such as these we need help the Lord's protection. Dare you deign to speak for the Lord?
Speaker 2: I do not know what we expected to fight. It was not Noah, bright eyed, tears rolling down his face, a bittific smile on his lips, through the slinger.
Speaker 8: Block sweat, My son, Oh, my son, you look father. I have I seen an angel of the Lord. I have instructions Father, for you. Gather amerind and garlic from the woods, and with holy water, make a tea and bring it to me.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, of course, demeriuse watch over him.
Speaker 2: Yes I will.
Speaker 6: I shall return shortly.
Speaker 2: And with that he was gone. When I turned back to Noah, his demeanor had changed once more. There was fear there and something else, resignation. Noah, what is it?
Speaker 8: We must speak quickly, my love. There was no angel, There was nothing, But I must speak to you alone. Your father has gone mad. You've said as much yourself.
Speaker 2: We need to get you from the house. Then we need to hide you somewhere, Oh.
Speaker 8: Darling, No demeris this illness is taking me. It is too late to do anything about it. I have been gifted this moment of clarity, but it soon will pass and I will be lost to this world.
Speaker 4: Noah, it is done.
Speaker 8: It was done when I first was bitten. It is a miserable then, but I must face it, Collect the boys and run far from this place, far from my father, who is lost as well. In his own way. His will is great and terrible love, and he will not stop this insane battle that he imagines with the devil until every timber in every home is consumed. I have spent the last few years scratching and saving in secret in the sanctuary. There is a loose board in the northwest corner, a shade darker from the boards around it. I have hidden funds there in a satchel, enough to secure travel away and three months living wherever you go.
Speaker 9: I am sorry it was not more.
Speaker 8: Do not return, Do not look back.
Speaker 2: Where did you cat?
Speaker 8: I was going to tell you about this before the sickness came to us. Why for us to give you the choice to stay or to go with me, to live a life away from my father. I was never called to the cloth, I was forced towards it by his beliefs. I wanted so much to.
Speaker 2: No hear, drink drink.
Speaker 8: We were never to be given a chance to forge a life of our own, and so I would steal it. But my chance is gone.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I can't just leave you.
Speaker 8: Listen, you are a widow. Now you must take the boys. Do you understand this place has become a snare? Do not become entrapped. The illness will end us. All promise me, Promise me, I promise. Good, darling, good. I love you, I love you.
Speaker 2: I read more rich for your father.
Speaker 4: Can you read?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right?
Speaker 9: One thing more, demeres?
Speaker 2: What is it? Anything?
Speaker 9: Would you loosen my behinding?
Speaker 2: Something in his eye gave me pause, a twink of mischief. When I spoke again, it was with great care.
Speaker 9: Do they hurt ever so much?
Speaker 6: Dear?
Speaker 2: You've had a fits?
Speaker 9: My head is so clear right now, just for a moment.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: No, oh, I understand.
Speaker 2: I shall return momentarily.
Speaker 9: De Marius. Yes, I saw your mother last night.
Speaker 2: That's not funny.
Speaker 9: Noah, Oh, it was not a joke.
Speaker 2: My mother has been dead for many years. Yes, did you dream of her?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Then, what did you mean?
Speaker 9: I visited Hell last night while you slept. I saw her there, half naked, tattered rags hanging from her soot from the fire that took her, covering the whole of her body. But it was unmistakably her. She had your eyes, your wild stupid animalies wide with terror as yours are now. She was screaming, de Marius, Oh, you never heard such a scream. If a living woman were to scream so her vocal chords would strain and snap in a cush of blood. A mortal scream, the scream of continuous dying without the mercy of death. You see, the flame that took her did not stop devouring her flesh and death. It was continuing on consuming her in great licks, her skin peeling and crisping, great blisters of blood and puss popping and running down her, further feeding the flame.
Speaker 2: Stop stop you and not yourself.
Speaker 5: I have never been more myself wife as I was when she implored me for help, told me that she would do anything, anything for me to lessen her torment. She begged for me to lend my moisture to still the flames, if only for a moment, spittle.
Speaker 9: Piss anything, wife.
Speaker 2: You two have taken to medis.
Speaker 9: But I would piss upon her, not to lessen her agony, for I was enjoying it.
Speaker 5: So it quickened the blood in tens and oh.
Speaker 9: How I fantasized watching her about how I would inflict these agonies upon her daughter. How I would light my pathetic wife, my father, my muling stinking children alight on a great fire and feast on their burnt flat.
Speaker 10: Yes, my darling wife seems to have had quite enough.
Speaker 9: If you want to silence your husband, you will have to use more force when you next bring down the picture upon my face.
Speaker 4: Not my husband.
Speaker 2: My husband is.
Speaker 10: Dead, yes, and he burns in hell with your whole mother.
Speaker 6: What is this?
Speaker 10: Ah ah? A mad preacher has returned to quite.
Speaker 9: The familial scene. And what's this in your hands? This isn't the holy water and herbs I asked for. If I didn't know better, I'd say that case contained.
Speaker 10: A cure far more final.
Speaker 6: He's not himself, Yes, I see what These are the tools of the Lord's marshal. Yes, the crucifix.
Speaker 9: I shake with the holy terror.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do? Father?
Speaker 6: Stand aside to me? Isn't our hands now? You can't? Our father are in heaven? Here we go? Hollow would be thy name?
Speaker 1: He is mad, just like kingdom.
Speaker 11: Come, I will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Because this day let us look for trespasses weeping and those trespass against us, and lead us out to the temptation, but delivers for mevill bell is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever.
Speaker 2: He placed the cross down beside Noah and reached into the bag, pulling forth the great ashwood steak that had become the symbol of his mad belief.
Speaker 10: Way, whatever will he do with that?
Speaker 2: He raised it above his head to Meris, how could you allow?
Speaker 6: Yes, father, please.
Speaker 2: Demaris, and brought it down into Noah's heart.
Speaker 9: No, I suppose I'll see you both in hell.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm ah ahmen.
Speaker 2: And with that my life ended. Jesus, Jesus, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to say that me neither.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid to ask if there's more.
Speaker 4: There looks to be one more entry. It's shorter, but uh, I think I need a minute to absorb that.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, cheers?
Speaker 4: Maybe we should grab a bite to eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I could order a pizza from Remones no Onion's.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I'll need anything else at it. What the hell is happening out there?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Huhm. Hey, there's half a dozen emergency vehicles, there's fire trucks, cops.
Speaker 1: You want to check it out?
Speaker 2: How can I help you.
Speaker 1: I'll call you back. Come on, let's be tacky.
Speaker 4: I hope everyone's okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe it's what we've been reading, but I feel real dread. Yes, I'm sure it's nothing as operatic as Noah's death, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, we just had an axe murderer out here last week.
Speaker 1: Good point, Hey Bill, what's going on? I heard Old Tom Stabanow's places on fire.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, is he there?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, he's like two streets over.
Speaker 4: We moved quickly, with the group all streaming out of their homes and main street restaurants from the courthouse, where the last of the day's business had just concluded, everyone racing toward the great fire at Tom's. We rounded the corner to find his house, an old saltbox style all timber from two hundred years ago, up in flames. The hoses were blasting water into the home trying to put it out, when suddenly.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he's in there.
Speaker 4: There stood old Tom Stabina in the top floor window, naked and covered in soot, his hair singed off what flesh you could still see sean a horrible bloody red and then he's gotta gown. With an old hunting rifle, he opened fire on the crowd.
Speaker 10: Everybody down, down.
Speaker 4: Everything happened in a horrible, bloody mess, people diving for cover everywhere as Old Tom raved and shot. The fire host suddenly unattended, wildly flying through the air, blasting water in all directions, returned fire, and Tom disappearing back into the window in a fine mist of pink.
Speaker 6: Clear clear.
Speaker 9: Is anyone hit?
Speaker 6: Is any one hit?
Speaker 4: Sylvie?
Speaker 1: I'm okay, we need to get out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a blur. Everything felt abstract and far off. The second time and under a month that we were processing the horror of this violence. We held hands as we ran away through the throngs, Sylvie's hand sweaty and solid in my own, the only real thing in a world that was fast becoming meaningless. And then we were safe home at the bar, and shock in the familiar quiet.
Speaker 2: My god, Tom, what the hell is happening?
Speaker 4: Grid?
Speaker 12: I think something big is coming, big, bigger than this. I don't know, I don't know. It's a feeling, you know, dread, just massive dread.
Speaker 2: Tom's dead.
Speaker 1: He's dead. He is a real piece of work. But now he's dead. Did you see him up there? He was insane.
Speaker 4: It's the same look I saw in Jimbo's eyes after the funeral when he attacked Ken. It was the look in Bachman's eyes when he came at me with the axe.
Speaker 2: It's what Demeras wrote about.
Speaker 4: You said there was more, Yeah, there was another entry.
Speaker 1: You think it'll tell us how to deal with salt this.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't imagine, barn Please we.
Speaker 1: Just please please?
Speaker 4: Huh what what it's just a paragraph? Well, uh, Josiah has gone up the hill. He has the steak. He is going after a Havoc. He is mad. I will stop him, and then that's all. That's all she wrote. I mean, the book itself goes on. After this entry occurred the murder of Sophia Havoc at the Havoc estate. The diary was found in the church soon after the murder's pages torn out of the back. Josiah himself was found in the sanctuary, hanging from the rafters of the rectory. Rush. It looks like here, it looks like there's more about the illness and the aftermath in the next chapter. But oh god, Sylvie, I have to stop for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand, it's all too much.
Speaker 2: I don't think I can pross this anymore today.
Speaker 4: But who's given the choice to fully disengage? As we sat there, shells shocked, we saw the first military vehicles roll into town, alongside numerous black SUVs. Become familiar with those sites over the coming days. I should have been relieved as they passed by the cavalry, but that feeling in my gut, the dread, it only deepened.
Speaker 1: Should I get it?
Speaker 4: It can't be good news, You just can't might it.
Speaker 3: Ring Havoctown was created by me Aaron Mankey. The show was written and directed by Nicholas Takowski. This episode was edited and sound designed by Rima lk Ali, starring Jewels State as Corene Avis, James Kallus as Jerry Havoc, Felicia Day as Sylvie, Harris, Ray Wise as Josiah Abbas, Crystal Lee as Demeris, Daniel Ernesto A known as Noah Abbas, with additional voice acting from David Caprita, Dick Terhun, Beverly Bremer's David Davrees, and Aaron Mankey. This season is directed by Nicholas Takoski, with assistant directors Sarah Klein and Jake Diamond, casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Our theme song was created by Chris Childs executive producers Aaron Mankey, Trevor Young, and Matt Frederick, with supervising producer Rima Lkali and producers Nomes Griffin and Jesse Funk. Havoctown is set in the Bridgewater Audio Universe, which includes the hit fiction podcasts Bridgewater and Consumed. Learn more about both shows, as well as Havoctown at grimandmild dot com, and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.