Speaker 1: What Is Up?
Speaker 2: Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Up Podcast. Mets did not sweep the Phillies, not back in They lost two of three, and it's just so bad. It's so so bad. We tried to be positive and didn't work. Didn't work at all. No, the positivity, it's only for the next It's not for the New York Mets. We won't be talking about the next in this episode, as much as I'd love too. It's gonna be all Mets. David Peterson, Freddie Peralta. Remember remember when we won Game one on Thursday and then had an off day? I mean then the MLB had the coolest down the World Cup. Didn't want to see the Mets get hot, because boy, oh boy, did they do the opposite of get hot. They played some really awful baseball to end the series in Philadelphia. Before get going into it, make sure you are subscribed to Mets Up over here on YouTube. Appreciate all of you hanging around while the Mets are not hanging around, while they are giving up every single night. It feels like subscribe if you like what you see over here on the video side, and if you're listening to us Apple, popod Spotify, Google, drops a rating, drops a review, download and subscribe. James looking at the notes. A lot of ass and not the good kind. It's just a lot of ass.
Speaker 1: No, lots of negativity. This is one of those two game stretches where you watch your favorite team play baseball. You know they don't belong on the field to the team on the other side of them. And that's a team that just got hot, just got over five hundred, still a very good team in the Phillies. But this is you weren't even competitive in these two games. You had theoretically your best or second best pitcher on the mound in one of them, and you couldn't even sniff the other team. Again, you were going up against two aces, two of the five to the three or four best pitchers in the entire National League. You didn't have a chance for a second in either of these games on Saturday or Sunday, not even a moment. No, it's pretty impossible.
Speaker 2: When Freddy Prault comes out the gate and just gives up a bomb to Bryce Harper, gets absolutely tattooed. Two and two thirds innings, ten hits, ten earned runs. It's gotta be one of the worst pitching performances of his career, one of the worst pitching performances we've seen for the Mets in quite some time.
Speaker 1: That was the worst game of his career, definitely the worst game of his career. Runs. He drives me fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Freddy's a great guy, but he does not got the fucking balls or the dog to pitch for the New York Mets, which sounds insane because the Mets aren't even a playoff team, so there's no pressure whatsoever. They should be Freddy Perltz should be auditioning for every team in Major League Baseball and hopefully a team that's good wants him. Who's who's gonna be trading for this guy? He's he's double fucking us. He's keeping us out of the game with the standings. And then he said, oh, by the way, you know how you're gonna trade me because we're out of it because partially I've been pitching like dog shit this year. Well, it's gonna get even worse, so you're gonna get even less back.
Speaker 1: It's gonna go.
Speaker 2: David Stearns, I don't know how he's done it, but the trades on paper feel so good, and they have all magnificently been disasters, absolute disasters.
Speaker 1: Wasscar Brass Bond's the best trade he ever made, one of the best trades anyone's ever made. But that's also why I don't know, because there's so much there's so much talk in Mets world baseball media, everything about the job of David Starns and where this he may is, where this team's going, all of that, it's very hard to blame the guy for acquiring Freddie Pralton. Freddy Prawltz decides to pitch by far the worst he ever has in his career, so much the conundrum've been saying about Boba Schett, where that one even looked worse on paper than acquiring Freddie Peralta. Still for the Packers, the Met gave up with Freddy Perlta. I still didn't even feel bad about the trade. Again from a process standpoint, But all you could do is put these guys in the team together and hope they can go out and play, especially Freddy Peralta, where everything is is so much worse this year, way worse. It's so much worse. And again he wasn't even pitching that poorly until this most recent start, of course, like his era was still in the low for his high threes. Now it's like, yeah, Anthony Como has been running with the line a few times that he has I think the fifty eighth highest era of sixty five or sixty six qualified us good qualified pitchers. Now it's really good. But then even just like when you look under the hood, like it's easy to be it's easy to take the stance like, Okay, he will not continue to be this bad, because of course he can't continue to be this bad. But this is frustrating that the guy like Freddie drops his arm angle. He's getting slightly different movement in all of his pitches. The fastball has a little bit less ride, way less up cut on it, and nothing's performing as well. And again I don't even feel like going deep into Freddie Prolton numbers on this, but you're watching pitching like, oh, that's a guy who just not doesn't look like he's equipped to get after it right now.
Speaker 2: No, he's not someone who is ready to be a major league pitcher. And there's a lot of guys on this roster who are not capable of being major league pitchers despite being major league pitchers in the past. And again, like I give Mendoza a lot of flak for a lot of the struggles for the New York Mets this year, I'm also going to give Justin Willard in the pitching staff a lot of flak because nobody is seemingly pitching better than we really expected it. Shaman I, I mean, I guess it took him three months a while, and even still it's like not great, it's.
Speaker 1: Not pretty good. Now he's right now, I think Shelman I is pitching like a quality three.
Speaker 2: Shamany is the best picture on this team right now, which is the problem.
Speaker 1: No McClain ratio. But again, like if you have those two guys in average Freddy, if you have this current version of and I, the current version of maclain, an average version of Freddy Peralta, the current of Christian Scott, like we said that would have been a good I'm I'm leaving out the fifth star because we'll get to that in the second of God. God, it makes me mad, but it's just even like going through the rest of that game. Besides Fridday, Peralta, that was that was one of the worst baseball game has ever been played in the field if you leave for the Mets. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was an incredibly excruciating watch, which is saying a lot in twenty twenty six for the New York Mets, but for the offense to perform like it did. I know, Christopher Sanchez is really good. Mark Viento's cut the lead the forty, which was of course the classic Mark Fiendo's It's crazy. He owns Christopher Sanchez absolutely owns his ass. And only Christopher Sanchez pisched against Mark Vento's for every at bat, he'd be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, think about Vento's his batpath, the sinker ball or lefty like that's time's the ideal matchup for him. Yeah, he's Evan Brady go down there and get that one. But had a great tweet here from Sarah Langs that with Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber, the Phillies are the second team MLB history with players with a cycle and a three homer game in the same game. Jordan, wait, can I ran real quick? Actually finish your staff forge sins this. I have two couple of stats about that. Then, we're rant about that. We'll go up and down with this. But the last time that happened was June third, nineteen thirty two Yankees at the Philadelphia Athletics. Tony Lazari hit for the cycle. Luke Garrick had his four home run game. That was also in Philadelphia. What that's crazy. That is crazy.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely saying you know, it's even crazier. Yeah, how fugazi Bryce Harper's triple was. That is not a triple. That's never been a triple in the history of baseball. That's not a cycle. That is the most ego stroking triple I've ever seen in my life. One book, Yeah, home book. The dude was on second base when the short song called the ball to throw it at home. He advanced on the throw. I don't care if the entire way Bryce Harper was looking for triple. That's not how the game of baseball scored. The Mets still got their ass absolutely trounced, so whatever doesn't really matter. But yeah, that's a that's a That cycle should have.
Speaker 1: An asterix next to it. That was not a triple. You wind up with the cycle next to the asterisk that we got about fifteen to three. Yeah, yeah, you guess fine, you could do that to I might have lost a fantasy game because of cycle.
Speaker 2: Oh he put up ninety points for me in one of my fantasy leagues. It was one May the league week.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, leagues that have cycle bonuses. Yeah, I played against Bryce Harper. Our league has a cycle bonus. I lost by fifteen points. Yeah, you dontally now that. Now, now pissed about the cycle, Let's get every major league scoring. Let's get rid of that cycle. It's all banded together. Undo that cycle by Bryce Harper. But again, hometown scoring. You're winning by fifteen. You had you with a twelve batter, eight run inning. Kyle Schwarper had two home runs in the same inning.
Speaker 2: How about just the idea that Bryce Harp Yeah, I mean that's crazy. Just again, I kind of glanced over that two home runs in one inning. How about the idea that the Phillies felt so in control and like they were playing with the ball, that Bryce Harper had the audacity to go to third base on that ball when the shortstop was catching it. The Phillies embarrassed the Mets this weekend in a series that the Mets won a game. They started the series off one and oh Sean and I gotta win. And the Phillies this weekend absolutely embarrassed. The Mets showed everyone in Major League Baseball because these games are naturally televised.
Speaker 1: Both of them.
Speaker 2: This team is a fucking joke. This organization is a joke, and this team stinks. They don't deserve to even come close.
Speaker 1: To the playoffs. Dude, both of Schwarber's home runs at anyone four hundred and fifty feet. I did the quick snack cast check for I tried to get home runs in the same inning that both went four to fifty. I didn't find anything, so I don't think this happened stack cast era, but it could have been a little hazy on my search. And that was the fifth three homer game of Schwarber's career. That's a lot. That's a ton for a guy who hasn't had four, and he all different pictures. He also instantly hit the home run today so Sunday, so it's like he's got thirty homers. Yeah, he's got I mean Bryce Harper also has over twenty homers already. He's on pace for almost forty. Great bouts back by how elite Koshwarper had almost fifteen hundred feet of home runs and five at bats. That's insane against the Mets like it. Also, this is another tweet. I just was going through trying to find as many embarrassing stats as I could since the start of the MLB season. This Rons and whatever they're probably gambling. I didn't want to look in to see what he even said. Their name sleep it, bleep it, I'll bleep it a forty I'll believe. Well, Yeah, the Mets have more losses by twelve runs than the Knicks have of twelve points since the baseball season started. That's an It's impossible. How is it even possible.
Speaker 2: That the Mets have more twelve run losses than the Knicks lost by twelve points?
Speaker 1: The Knicks probably have only had seven or eight losses since the start of the omb season. Nicks just won championship with three total losses. That's enough to that. That's insane.
Speaker 2: This team is so bad and like Freddy Peralta completely shipped down his leg, showed everyone that he's a child and amongst men like he's got nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm out on Freddy, trade him tomorrow. There's no hope.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna be a good New York met ever, and I'm sorry, Freddy, great guy wasn't gonna work. But then CNL prez comes in and he fucking sucks. He's got absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: He's the mop up guys, last kind of pen shocker, the guy that the Orioles who have no good bullpen arms didn't want, couldn't get it done. And then one good bullpen arm, one bullpen oh Rico Garcia.
Speaker 2: Yeahah, of course, how dare you what this team would be without? With Rico Garcia? Tobias Meyers, because again, who what's his role? We'll never find out. He gets absolutely destroyed.
Speaker 1: He looks horrible.
Speaker 3: You know why you are enjoying this minute because we're happy, Krats. We're happy because we're wearing mac Weldon.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm six foot five and nobody can give me tall clothing, but mack Weldon allows me to have it, so I don't really have to care about how I look, and I still look good because I don't put a lot of time into what I do to put pick out my clothes. Mack Weldon takes care of it for me.
Speaker 3: Classic always In style made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. Summer gets sweaty, don't let unnecessary sweat spots emerge. Mack Weldon's air Knit X fabric helps you out. Their lightest fabric is fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. That barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and fresh. Don't sweat the heat this summer feel as effortlessly.
Speaker 1: Cool as you look.
Speaker 3: With Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m ack w e l d o N dot com code foul.
Speaker 1: So Laura Albin said, a good sweet tonight too. Aj Minter told her Mets relievers had a competitive tally going of who can throw a Clay inning that's an inning inspired by Clay Holmes with fifteen or fewer pitches. Zach Short did that in the eighth inning on Saturday. Yes, Zach Short, Agay, this Met's bullpen right now is working with so much magic. Anyone can step out there and do well, and we're wasting A great bullpen could you.
Speaker 2: Believe that Kyle Schwarber hit three home runs in this game, Bryce Harper hit for the cycle and they didn't get any of those hits off of the short stop, the starting shortstop for the New York metswo pitcher of this game, which, by the way, why the fuck are we going back to this weird lefties can't face the leftiest thing Zach Short and Luise Terrenz in the same lineup on the same day. That's that's like a punishment that talk about antagonizing. Also, Zach Short one for four, three strikeouts. Enough of Zach Short, How do you get back here?
Speaker 1: The last time the Mets released Zach Short that win. The most magical run in franchise is push that don't bring back Hosea Glasias I come back. Also set me in hitting clean up, Wagonman hitting fifth like it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's fucking brain dead man paint whoever is doing it. I'm because at this point I gotta think that couldn't have been Mendoza, right, Surely, anybody who's ever watched baseball would never make this lineup.
Speaker 1: I could definitely see David Sans be like a new Wagman fifth spot, But Also, it does suck that the guys who were supposed to hit the lefties either are injured horror hitting them either, Like that's a painful thing. We're beginning season, We're like, oh, we're gonna get over this horrible lighter vers lefties thing because we have Bobashett lefty crusher. Jorge Polaco was very good as a righty. He pretty even splits out of Whitch Ether and Louis Roberts just, you know, always been good to get hitting lefties. Francisco Lindor just that shortstop fanciscoal stuff is interesting right now. The fact he's going to play Wednesday almost guaranteed it's crazy, does feel pretty nuts considered. He say he's very tired after the game today. I mean, he said he's gonna get a simulated the game tomorrow and off day Tuesday and saying back in the lineup. But I don't know if it's just they think that he's totally ready, because that's the kind of guy he is. I don't know if this is pure desperation by them, But like the fact that he's just playing the games around New York and like only this would say the first nine in any game, but the second one, like he's yeah, first one, I think this has been incredibly short rehab assignment for a player who was out for two full months with a with a pretty big injury, buge injury. Yeah, two minor league rehab games. I also, man, I love Louise Frends.
Speaker 2: We love Louise Frends elite backup, but like when you do see like a five eighty ops and then the fact that we gave him a two year contract seemingly kind of for no reason does feel a little bit stupid because now you kind of stop any sort of possible mobility there. And then also he catches back to back games for a team that can't score offensively.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The process is broken. You can't trust the process. If Philly ever taught us anything, you can't trust the process.
Speaker 1: It does seem like we're moving a little bit more to again this pro defense lineup or a more regular basis much work. Yeah, But honestly, with how hitters around this team, I'm fine with dhing Alvarez because who's who think about this? Because you're beinghe Wagerman, You're basically I mean, I think he does the h good be play third like Saturday, play right field.
Speaker 2: On Saturday, he played right field and third base. But then here's the crazy thing.
Speaker 5: Is like like if he if he can play third base, then just put him at third base, but Bobash at his shortstop, Like we don't need to have this and let let aj Ewing, who's been one of our better hiders, which is insane because he's twenty one years old, instead of forcing Zach Short into the lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this act short thing was weird, but again, these are these are the things that I'm happy that you have the stomach to get after them still because I've lost my will. I want to go Beningo on people you want to go Bengo, have a go Beningo segment.
Speaker 2: Just for you guys at home were We're just go this. This is a little bit of like playing it up for the Twitter clip here because we want to sly if we can get this to go viral?
Speaker 1: How do we How should I start it? What should I be? Uh? You have to think if you want a true Beningo clip, you have to do some kind of tagline that's like really demonstrative and forceful and like obvious, like you know, the new York Mets have given up. The New York Mets are a garbage baseball team and a garbage yeah some shit like that. Yeah, I'll start it all right, Here we go, Here go.
Speaker 2: The New York Mets are a garbage team. They've given up on the season. You watch this team play every single day. There is no one playing hard. Nobody is inspired. The pitching stinks, the bullpen stinks, the lineup stinks. They can't score any runs, they can't let up any runs because we focused on defense this season. The defense is horrible. We have one of the worst defensive second basemen in the entire league. Mark Fientos doesn't know how to play first base. Our catching is switching every single time. We have guys in the outfield who've never played the outfield before. And yet the Mets still, with all this great defense and the new pitching and all these new bats, they still get outscored in a series by one hundred and they look embarrassed on a national stage.
Speaker 1: And what's Carls Mendoza doing.
Speaker 2: He's sitting there in the dugout with the same stupid fucking face he's add on.
Speaker 1: For the entirety of his career.
Speaker 2: Twiddling his thumbs, and the Mets continue to do nothing but sit on their hands and expect something to change, despite seeing like two hundred games of bad.
Speaker 1: Play scene good Beno.
Speaker 2: Clip, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, gosht off ft people clipping that we appreciate you guys for any think out.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys all. But it is kind of how it feels you're series like this. I was gonna get you. I was gonna get you in the bullpen's things. I was gonna get you on that one. I didn't want to interrupt. I want to ruin the clip. I was gonna get you on that one. That's just for the clip. The bullpen has been the least of our issues. Can we talk about our favorite thing to talk about right now? The non clarity of pitching roles on this team. It's the best, yeah, please, because we talked about it in the the big blowout, the two big blowouts to go now three big blowouts to go now technically Monday against the Reds, but the Mets are kind of out of pitching and they're losing a game by double digit runs, which, again, does that have it down familiar? Did you watch the Mets on Saturday night as well, did you watch them on Tuesday too? And David Peterson comes in as the mop up guy. You basically had the choice between Luis Terenz and David Peterson as who's going to pitch when a game is over, and then you get to Sunday, a rubber game against your division rival. As a series victory would be so incredibly important to kind of the flow, and like we even talked about on the positive episode, like winning the series, sweeping Smet, the Phillies, wol have gotten this actually back into this mentally winning the series, especially stopping the momentum after a slacking on national television on Saturday, that would have at least bread some good things. You still feel like you're treading water. You feel like with a home stand coming up, you can start to keep chipping away at this. And for David Peterson to walk out there in the first inning, not help by his defense either, but again the face, the shoulders, missing his spots, like fighting against everything, throwing weird pitchers in weird counts, having so many sliders that were nowhere fucking close, and then to be back in the hole instantaneously, and then Kyle Schwarber hitting another home run to the fucking moon is next at bat. How can you try to be compared to the baseball team and win games where the guy that you said, we're only choosing you over a position player on Monday, Now you're starting a legiti big game for US on national television, in a very important rubber game, and you have nothing left.
Speaker 2: David Peterson is such a level of ass did I honestly didn't really think it was possible going into tonight. Let's see, he basically has like the worst era or the fourth worst era in baseball with at least sixty innings.
Speaker 1: Pitch.
Speaker 2: The guys ahead of him, two of them pitching Colorado. Maybe that's the David Peterson thing Colorado connection. Kyle Freeland, who has a seven point three six, Michael Lorenzen, who shut out the Mets I think earlier this year, has a seven point one to three, and Andrew Painters, coming off of major Tommy John surgery, has a seven point zero six. Then the guys around was like, Brian BeO sent down, Jack Cohniwitz sucks, Zach Gallon stinks, Brandon sprote.
Speaker 1: We traded him like.
Speaker 2: Wow, he David Peterson, if the Mets had any balls, if the Mets honestly had an arm that they even thought could be a major league pitcher, which has the most disappointed in right now, because we had been hearing about this pitching lab forever and ever, and right now clock struck midnight, and we've got nothing in the pitching lab left. It seems like because we're gonna throw out David Peterson again, and he's going to get his apps, He's gonna get his ass absolutely handed to him. He's gonna give up another six runs in five innings. The Mets are gonna lose another game because it's impossible to for this offense to score six runs over a full game, let alone when they're down six runs in the fourth inning. David Peterson should not be on a competitive baseball team. David Peterson shouldn't be on a bad baseball team. This version of him is unrosterable, He is unusable, He is useless.
Speaker 1: I think Anthony Dicomo basically told us through the lines that this he will not be in the rotation anymore. After the game he started, he started this column after this game saying this time, David Peterson's tenure. The mes rotation really could be coming to an end this time.
Speaker 2: David major league career in New York City should be coming to an end. He should not pitch another game from that. He doesn't have it, And like, I'm sort of thinking he had to have been hurt, right, because there's just there's such a hard drop from the production that we saw from him last year to what we've seen from that point on, where it's like is he hurt or is.
Speaker 1: He dog shit? I think it also could be a lesson. And we talk about this a lot, and how much more reliable stuff is on the game by game, week by week, month by month's basis than commands, because Dave Pearson has always had a guy whose stuff could float towards average, be definitely okay at times. This command has trended at times in his career, which is also right now to looking like one of the worst in all baseball. But there was a two month golden stretch where he had pinpoint command, four quadrants all of his pitches and it was beautiful. And I think sometimes you just can't sustain that. You just can't. Dave Houseman's those long limbs, like you can't get them all working the way you want them to.
Speaker 2: Every single time you pitch, We're better off putting the ball on a tee. I'm not even kidding. I think if the Mets put a ball on a tee, they might get better outcomes than David Peterson pitching. He's he's like totally in my fucking doghouse. I can't watch him pitch anymore, especially because the attitude. This team's got an attitude problem. By the way, on the fringes, two of.
Speaker 1: Those singles in the first standing were just complete doinkers.
Speaker 2: He still was he doesn't have enough dog to even get through that because he gets those binkers and he's like, oh I'm e or woe is me?
Speaker 1: What a terrible day? Rain cloud on my head? Yeah, and then the second thing was when the home run happened. But like those like those two first runs on were nothing, absolutely nothing. Those reinfield singles bullshit. But again digress. Besides the point, it's just I think Christian Scott is going to be back when he's immediately eligible, which is Saturday. So I think we will do some shuffling as we get you know, get the series preview soon here, because's not that much I'll say about this series. That's not much they've done it this besides Brett Baby being more lost than he's actually ever been. This is the worst baseball bred Bay's ever player, just saying something. But with no off day because we have cups for four, he might just need to pitch again. Someone has to pitch on Friday? Me? Can I throw? Someone said that on Twitter, he said they'd love to see you or I get it in and during this Cup series? I'm in, why not have some fun?
Speaker 4: Was there?
Speaker 1: This pitch is illegal in nineteen states? Oh yeah, this is the chopper sue screwball. It killed a man in Tuscunoosa. I mean, what's he doing this week? Cedric on the mound? Oh fuck yeah, that would be vibes. Does he want to face the again the Phillies on Friday night at City Field. I'm in. I'll go to that game. Give me a ticket. Yeah. This whole thing is just he's lost. There's nothing left there. You could see Mendoza after the game basically being like, how I was supposed to have a chance with that? Put that out there? You see what that was like.
Speaker 2: You gave Mendoz a credit last episode. I'll give him credit for that. He was just like, this.
Speaker 1: Is my doing.
Speaker 4: When my puppy Bella has something wrong. I'm not going to go around googling what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kratz, let's have a better plan. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. It offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. Because let's be honest, that bills can add up fast. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy just use their appe reimbursement for eligible vet bills directly into your bank account so you can get back to focusing on what really matters your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. Again, that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independent American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited, the ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: So another thing too. I just want to talk about the Phillies for a second, because these teams had the same record Mets. In the Phillies, they're both nine and nineteen. Once we got to the beginning of the end of April and what the Phillies do. There's a tweet from Sam Block the Phillies have forty two and thirty five and the Mets are now thirty four and forty three when they both started out in nine to nineteen. And again that was partially I think a lot of the credit, especially in the national media, goes to the firing of Rob Thompson. But the firing of Robobs and the hiring of Don Mattingly very conveniently happened. Like the week that Zach Wheeler came back. Sure that was that Billy Martin's lines, that Loop Penella's line was like the best day to have, like a closed door meeting or a players only meeting is when you're a cent the man the next day, Yeah, yeah, And the Phillies are thirty four and eighteen since Wheeler came back. Now he doesn't pitch in all those games, for sure, not but there's there's a lift that happens in that. I saw another stat the Phillies are like something like forty and fifteen when it's a game started by Sanchez, Zzar the Wheeler, and they're like fifteen games on there, five hundred with the rest of the guys. But this just again, that is the biggest difference about these teams, these organizations. And we talked about the top year and Freddie Pewlt has never been on, never been close to being up part of guys like Zach Wheeler, Christopher Sanchez much closer actually more of a Lozardo, much more of Lazardo. I don't know what I'm getting. Sometimes it's good. I hope he gets hot, but the messages still don't have that. They haven't really had a steadying force in this rotation for a long time now, and until Nolan McClain keeps getting older and more consistent, I think it will be him one day, but it's not him yet. It's hard to expect a guy in his rookie year for that's different to actually be that guy now, And that was unfair. I think of a lot of us to throw it down a guy like Nolan McLay now Freddie pewl' is supposed to all the pressure off him. Those guys supposed to make a good one too, and they're supposed to make this inconsistent time over time, and we're still were still probably John Tongue kind of becoming the biggest prospect dropper in all of baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to have the same excitement you once had over him, where Jeez can't get over.
Speaker 1: The triple A hump even remotely. No, it's because he can't. He actually just can't get pictures that go left consistently, and they keep trying, and again, it's still the kind of thing with Tongue where I don't give a shit about his prospect rankings. I don't give a shit about his stats and triple A. I don't give a shit about anyone stat's triple A. I want to see development. And we're gonna dig a lot deeper again this week or next. We're gonna get a lot of good mind leagu stuff for you guys, both good and bad, because we need a good sense of what's going on on there. You guys have been asking us that a lot, but you just kind of wish that there was more this depth that was ready to go and we wouldn't have to be relying on David Peterson anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, give Zack Thornton another look. Why not juice your friend Meek, Phil Sweet not what a meek say?
Speaker 1: I love Meek. The difference of the front offices between the one with last Neeks match for you guys, between the Knicks and the Mets over the last few years, where the Knicks had a lot of homegrown players who were all pretty good and all still have roles around the NBA, and they just went cut bait across the board. Let's be cutthroat, Let's get as better as we can right now. Not holding on the Quinton Grimes giving him more money and he was worth that was a great move, not trying to not trying to ever put the manual Quickly and Jalen Bruns in the backcourt together because those two player archetypes never going to blend. Understanding the RJ. Barrett was kind of capped as a player who was never gonna get better than the guy he was. Yet like RJ. Barrett's is a fantastic get knocked out in the first or second round, second or their best player in your team. If he ever became a sixth man, he'd win it every single year. Yeah, but maybe that probably is the next iteration of him. But then whereas the mess And again not that basketball and baseball's won to one. Basketball so much more of a fitting player types together. It's a little more cutthroat too, you have to be. But and you don't really do these kind of trades in baseball because the way the owners and the GM's MANAGEDIP teams, everything is off for a cost base reliant. But just letting this generation of homegrown players kind of not. I don't think many of these guys even had much value to begin with. I don't they agree with all the stuff, especially negative the beversus squalers. I'm still always going to be in his camp. But yeah, it's a whole it's a whole batch of homegrown guys that suck. And that probably is more reflection on what was going on this organization for the last five years, about the lack of developmental infrastructure, the lack of good quality people in place to help develop.
Speaker 2: The lack of really good needs to try and find those guys that could fill in for Cheap and Brett Baty, Mark Fientos, Ronnie Mauricio at times like being those guys. And now the really again fucked up thing is that we look back on and it's like, damn, they didn't really bring any value to this team and we didn't really get any value out of them when there were times where we could have. And this is this is the conversation always about prospect hugging and trading and player development and what you do and you do see and this is something that I always like make fun of with you for the Yankees. But like the Yankees almost never keep any of their guys. The Yankees have good teams every single year, besides the really good ones, besides the besides Aaron Judge, besides the Bush, besides the bona fide can't miss studs right now, like the guys who are questionable, the guys who are like just to give you a WRC thing like we always joke about with the Reds where they're ninety to one ten. The Yankees don't keep those guys. They don't exist on the roster. They don't want that variability. They only go for the top end talent. That's why you see guys like Clint Fraser ranting on Twitter about how he never got a chance with the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Again, the Yankees probably alway knew guy that Clint Fraser never deserved.
Speaker 2: The chance, of course, that's what I'm saying it, but like deserves probably the wrong word, but it probably fucked up with Biento's baby, Mauricio and even some other guys on this roster.
Speaker 1: And it's also the thing where you made the comment about the pitching lab before. And I do think these things take years. I think years and years are like we were undoing, we were plunging a toilet that had so much shit stuck in it. The Mets were the last team in baseball to have actually like a true analytics departments, the Mets and the Rockies. So if you're comparing us to them, we've done a lot back in then with the last five fucking years. But like the fact that we have reset everything and there's like there were dozens of new people hired, there was millions of dollars spent on just like technical equipment in the last three years here and even the first few years of Cohen when we thought we were getting ahead just by spending wasn't spent in the right places. We went through three general managers in a two year stretch. Like, yeah, we probably didn't really have like true organized code, organizationally coded like Mantrasy had. What we were doing, like it's it takes a long time, and we keep trying to stop gap and like sending a shit ton of money and guys in the middle, and it should all be held together by Francisco Lindor and Wan so Tho if they could play games together and Boba shet. But like it's ass right now, and if it feels like as it's wasted season and you just have to hope that you can almost salvage. You could just salvage this whole thing with the Cell High, Volly's relievers, the deadline. That's fucking sad, which is really sad. This is a this is a sad met season. Remember the last episode we recorded that positive so positive? It was like what bad? What if?
Speaker 2: What if we've done that twice now and they've gone out and laid absolute eggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's just there's just not to be tied together. This is so cool. So those like red Hot, I guess we didn't really, he's firm. We talked about but ben Ia was legitate on Thursday. Yeah, he was solid. He saw the pitches are all together. Now he's again to me in my mind, he's a three starter moving forward and get Christian Scott back. He's another three four starter. Nolan McLain's one, two, the five and then five. Now, Freddy, Freddy, He's not gonna be that bad. Can't be.
Speaker 2: I've seen it. I've seen it with my own two eyes. You see it with your own two eyes.
Speaker 1: Can't be that mad? The game keep getting away with this? Also, isn't it crazy? Like this guy John Duran makes almost every hitter in baseball look bad. He makes the Mets hitters look like they've never held a bat before, except when we beat him a couple of times. Yeah, the one time we beat them, But it was dribbler, wasn't it. Yeah, and you're doing not the same. I think it was like three walks and dribbler. We were there. Yeah, it was a great game. Carson Bader hit the home run for Ryan Helsley. But yeah, just the series sucked.
Speaker 2: Series sucked, and uh, the next one is probably gonna suck too. But before we get going into it.
Speaker 1: Uh, this show is sorry, I read it word for word, almost got it. Honestly, this is good to leave. It's kind of funny. Mets Up is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball fans.
Speaker 2: The MLB season is in full swing and fanduels giving you a chance to call your shot.
Speaker 1: With daily dingers joining the action is easy.
Speaker 2: Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home running their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra witnings.
Speaker 1: It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs.
Speaker 2: James, you got a few players that will hit a home run against some Mets this week in city field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's think. So Freddy's pitching Thursday, GCA is going yard one hundred, So good dude, I mean off Sanka, Let's see Bush probably because he can. Yeah, at least sid Michael Bush. Dude, Matt Shaw back in the lineup because mobile got sent down. That Matt Shaw's right fielders says back at dh. Maybe maybe say it gets one.
Speaker 2: Maybe say it gets one. Also, Alex Bragman, just for fun, because we could have signed Alex bragman. We got Bobashett. He'll probab hit a home run at our stadium. But hey, are you ready to play the game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash pod to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: All right, James, what are those pitching matchups for this really fun Cub series?
Speaker 1: I think it will become a fun series. The Cubs are to get a team that has had a weird season, not bad season like the Mets, but a very strange one. What you're forgetting, though, is that they are a major League Baseball team. So yeah, tons games for sure. So Monday seven ten, four to seven Tens at City Field this week. So God, Another late podcast, Another late podcast for the fellos over here, lock me.
Speaker 2: Why can't they play during the day. The Cubs play every they play so many day games.
Speaker 1: Monday Night seven ten colda Sanga versus showed that Imanaka. That'll be fun. Wow, that'll be good. Good Japanese crowd in the house for that one. Tuesday either seven to ten, This will be fun one two. It's also gonna rain a lot in New York on Monday, so we'll see if we wind up getting a twin bill on Tuesday. But Nolan McLain versus Edward Cabrera Wednesday, this is gonna be a ninety mile an hour off Sean and I versus Javier Asad. Yeah, that is a lot of speed in that one. And then Thursday Night fun one Friday Prault against Ben Brown, who's gonna give him more runs?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Ben Brown has been awesome? Yeah, but has he been?
Speaker 2: Have you kept up at Ben Brown? Is he just doing curveballs? High curve balls again?
Speaker 1: So Ben Brown is doing like the uh he's doing like the junkyard Hunter Brown where which is funny both the same last name not his wife. A repertoire doesn't have two breaking balls, just has one, doesn't the ras harp, but still throws quite hard. He just picked up a two seamer this year, and that's just taking all the pressure off everything. Be cool if the Mets could do things like that. Now he's just he's just two seeming and curveballing. It's really really nice, even though he still throwing fifty percent fast bust the lefties, and last I checked, they had an insane slug percentage against that.
Speaker 2: So the lefties against his j ewing and Carson Bendrick gonna sit. Uh yeah, I gotta get Waghman in the line.
Speaker 1: Oh no, went way down. It was only three twenty. So like, all right, good job, good job ban.
Speaker 2: So Mark Fiento's theoretically only has to play one game this week, is what you're telling me at home. Theoretically theoretically that's my new word I'm gonna start using.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he'll be out there for shows. So you guys were gonna see the left line up on Monday right right away. Again, cool Wagman. Fiano's hopefully not Zack Short. No, we're getting it's playing. We're Grand Francisco indoor back on Wednesday. Seems like almost guaranteed. That's exciting. That's fun. Like I'm at least feel something for Francisco Indoor coming back. Yeah, I'll watch all right. Talk about the Cubs. The Cubs, Uh, Cubs is like the first team in mine in baseball history to do something they've done this year, which I think is have a ten game winning streak the ten game losing streak in the first two months. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I thought your sentence was gonna be the Cubs were the first team in baseball to do something that they've done.
Speaker 1: I was like that, Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, the Cubs are a weird team to nine, like a complete rollercoaster of a season, even for their players like PCA had like a horrendous start to the year.
Speaker 1: It's one of the best.
Speaker 2: Players in baseball. Again, he's absolutely tearing the cover off the ball. He's a magician in center field. Say Suzuki still mashes. Michael Bush has started off slow, He's gotten hot again, like three to eighty on base This team is a weird But me and you like like the Cubs a lot coming into the season. Still do I still think this is one of the better teams in the National League. They're pitching is just I mean, it's fragile right now. But also that was always their biggest concerns that their rotation's not great.
Speaker 1: That was what we said about them heading into the season. The Cups fans really shit on us in the wind up for saying we didn't think this was even a top ten rotation. Easy again, fairness to them. Kate Horton going down was a very big deal. Edward Corbrera has been terrible, Matthew Boy got injured. And Justin Steele, who was kind of a part of our point, like guys come back from Tom of John surgery. Heart's rely on them. He's had two setbacks and they can't get another operation. Who knows what you get him this year. And Dana Plancy and their bullpen's been the injured list twice, so they've been running chaos ballpens lately. Base ballpens, yeah, Hoby Millner's out there, Jacob Webb and Caleb Thealbar are sharing the closer role. Phil Mayton gets huge OUs for the Cubs. Ryan Rolison is a big lefty for them. Trent Thornton is back from the dead in their bullpen. It's insane. They have a guy named Gavin Halliwell, Gavin.
Speaker 2: Hallowell you guys, he's a saint John's kid.
Speaker 1: Stop really yeah, he pitched them. I feel like he pitched against this last year. What was he on the Cubs.
Speaker 2: It's from Montgomery High School in New Jersey's be a nice homecoming for Gavin.
Speaker 1: So my bad, Gavin bad. Bet before I'm not gonna lie. This is an outside chance that someone who knows Gavin Holliwell's listening to this podcast right now, so I want to sincerely apolog He's.
Speaker 2: Six seven sixceven.
Speaker 1: But this cup seem is fun and weird. Again, this is gonna be great series for PCA. He just loves the he loves the action. Yeah, PCA is gonna be the kind of guy who's gonna want to like do a daytime walk, like do his shopping and soho, like take a picture of Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 4: Merrill.
Speaker 1: I almost guarantee that PCA is gonna do something with something Nicks on social media this week. I like that. That's a good call.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say he will be in the MLB offices to film content at some point.
Speaker 1: If he's not someone get in the horn with him right now. Make sure that's schedule, because he filmed PCA's an electric factor PC. Also, he's doing the cool things I've seen that Coole. It's one of the funny things I've seen a baseball players do. Last week where hit for the cycle, he was on bass as either in like a close game where the run Sarah certainly matted got picked off before the next pitch was thrown. I was like, that's one of the greatest baseballs I've ever seen. And we got anything else to talk about? Yeah, I don't even think I brought my phone in the room. Oh, it's back behind me, charg ingim. We do have a Frankie, but I mean this guy. There's nothing else about the Cubs and anything else interesting. Do I have anything else interesting about the Cubs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we always joked that they're the most boring team in baseball, So I really actually don't think I have anything more interesting about the chicag cub except that this week could be an audition for Freddy Peralta maybe, and it could also be an audition for Pedro Ramirez.
Speaker 1: It could be or Matt Shaw, whoever, whoever that winds up being Alex Bregman has been rough. Mataw on his big contract. Mitchell's actually played a decent outfield this year, and they've seen enough from him to to Mote Mobile who again talk about weird season. It looks like the best hit in baseball for six weeks. Really bad. They got back in Triple A. But so Matshaw was right field for them, says Zuki. Says Zuki. Also, remember he had the knee injury in WBC. I do, yeah, and then he had another knee tweak and he was terrible for like four weeks. Now I was hot again, so maybe something with him. Also, Edward Carbrera and that from that trade have a bad season, But I'm sure he'll be okay, he said. Blister blister issue for him. But yeah, Philibuster, for like a second, grab the phone, play Frankie.
Speaker 2: Yes, when you're when you're going to grab your phone, try and think of what Gavin Holloway's middle name could be.
Speaker 1: Uh ethan Wow? Really close? Really what is it? Ernest? Holy shit? I got close? He comes here comes frank Once I get my phone. Yeah, I'll fill a buster. So has everybody doing?
Speaker 2: Uh? This is one of the shorter episodes. We've done in a long time, but can you blame us?
Speaker 1: Listen?
Speaker 2: We love doing this podcast, but it is tough for right now. These are the dog days of summer.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: Frankie Peppers here, he said, we're just gonna listen. I said, we love doing this podcast, but this is tough watching this Mets team.
Speaker 1: It's agonizing again. You know, you guys are prospered for it. That's coming soon. I want to do a mail back soon. Then we'll do that one, and you guys keep tell us about more episodes you guys want to see. Yeah, we're gonna hammer trade deadline, of course, because now July's here, this team is ninety percent going to be sellers. We're gonna talk. Anytime you're a rumor, it's gonna be a video. Rumors are gonna be videos. I'd like to go through players under team control. I think them as should trade for with an I of twenty twenty seven, things like that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get Frankie Pepper's on here. I need some Francis in my life.
Speaker 1: Here comes Francis. Francis listened to us fourteen second books. Nice, that's what we'll talk about. Frankie here, comes Frankie DNA.
Speaker 2: This is Frankie Peppers.
Speaker 1: Hey doing. This is the first episode of the Hot Sauce. Hot Take Sauce with Frankie Peppers. My hot take is that we stink. Thank you gentlemen. Happy Father's Day. Frankie, he's one for one. I agree with good take, agree with that take? Not hot enough. Frank Le's got a hotter take next time. I'm done. Yeah, that's it. Thanks for watching. Subscribing to Mets Up on YouTube.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to us Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a Ring drops review, download subscribe. You can follow James on social media at James Shott. I'm drafting Park. Hey, you like us talking about baseball but not the Mets, go check out the wind Up as well. You guys can watch our baseball stuff there. Catch you guys on the next one. Peace out, Let's go Mets. M four