Speaker 1: Coolson Media.
Speaker 2: This is It could Happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling of the world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today I'm joined by Mia Wong and Robert Evans. This episode, we're covering the week of March five to March twelve. Trump films a Tesla commercial, RFK Junior eats beef tallow French fries at Steak and Shake, and Sam Seter commits a mass casualty event on YouTube. How's everyone doing today?
Speaker 3: Very happy to join you for ED this week. Huge fan of ED, just like just big big ED guy. So yeah, psyched to be here. I feel like we should mention up top.
Speaker 4: There's also a bunch of unhinged tariff news and the most like electing fucking Caliguli's horse to the Senate thing I've seen in a long time, So stay.
Speaker 3: Tuned for that. Lots of good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will get to it. First, I would like to have a little bit of an update on a story that we talked about a few days ago, the detention and the revocation of a green card for a Palestinian activist Mamood Khalil. As of Wednesday, his lawyers have still been unable to even contact their client. There was a large rally outside the First Court conference in New York this Wednesday. So we talked about this a few days ago for some background an episode with James Robert and myself. Robert, do you want to like briefly summarize the situation and then I'll play a clip from one of his lawyers.
Speaker 3: This situation is that this guy got taken into custody. My understanding is it was at an apartment that he lived in with his wife. He was a US citizen. He became aware, it looks like at least about twenty four hours before probably became more that he was being It's a little clear if he was just like being surveilled or there was something else that tipped them off. But he contacted the school asking for help convince that Ice was coming for him about a day before they did when they entered the house. My understanding is based on the claims being made by his wife that they did not like, they didn't like produce a warrant or anything. He's still not charged with any crime, No he's not been charged with any and they just took him and like turned off the phone when they were on the phone to their lawyers, if I'm remembering correctly. Correct, So it's like none of this is the way this should have gone. Like if this was an arrest.
Speaker 2: No, he was just like black bagged from campus.
Speaker 3: But it's not an arrest again, and they've been very clear about this that, like they have specifically stated we're not accusing him of like breaking the law, right, Like, that's not what's going on here.
Speaker 2: Correct, And we will get to some of that later. I'm gonna play a clip from a press conference outside court that happened on Wednesday, March twelfth. This is one of his lawyers.
Speaker 5: Mister Khalil's detention has nothing to do with security. It is only about repression. United States government has taken the position that it can arrest, detain, and seek to deport a lawful permanent resident exclusively because of his peaceful, constitutionally protected activism, in this case, activism in support of Palestinian human rights and an end to the genocide in Gaza. The government takes the position that because the Secretary of State finds his descent unacceptable or contrary to US foreign policy, he can be deported. As Romsey suggested, it's largely unprecedented, save for ugly historical precedents, including the Red Scare and McCarthyism.
Speaker 3: That's what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: We're also talking about a period of repression that the Center for Constitutional Rights knows well following nine to eleven, when we were in the courts trying to get people out of secret detention.
Speaker 3: One thing that's different now.
Speaker 5: Is the legal infrastructure is so much stronger, and everyone out here on the streets knows that we cannot hide in the face of.
Speaker 3: This amount of repression.
Speaker 5: We will be fighting in the courts and fighting in the streets to bring Mahmoud home and prevent this level of repression from spreading to many others, as the administration that's threatened to do so.
Speaker 2: That was on Wednesday. For now, a Khalil will be remaining in ICE attention in Louisiana, and ICE director Tom Homan said Wednesday that quote, free speech has its limitations.
Speaker 3: Unquote, Yeah, I have found some stuff today of people on the right attacking the judge who put out as I guess called a stay on this in part because the judge is Jewish, so it's nice to see the anti Semitism being used in that way as well in this instance. Just fascinating. We're really breaking new ground in all of this.
Speaker 2: A White House official did tell friend of the Pod the Free Press not necessarily our favorite publication, but they do have an exclusive quote here that the basis for targeting Khalil is being used as a blueprint for investigations against other students, saying Khalil is quote a threat to the foreign policy and national security interests of the United States unquote, said the official, noting that this calculation was the driving force behind the arrest, saying, quote, the allegation here is not that he was breaking the law. So we have this official like openly saying, like, he's not charged with a crime. We're just wanting to see if we can do this. Can we deport a legal permanent resident for saying something that we don't like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think there's been a lot of comparisons to this to direct maccarthyism. I think that's accurate to some extent. I think the most direct compared to this is not maccarthyism. It's the Palmer Raids yep, which I think people tend to be way less familiar with. That was the first Red Scare, which is largely targeted at the industrial workers of the world for their opposition to World War One, and they did basically the same shit. A lot of people would give anti war speeches and then a whole bunch of IWW organizers and other sort of like leftists would get fucking deported for it. So yeah, that was a absolutely terrifying period of repression. If the line is not drawn here, and it should have been drawn like two hundred miles back from here, but if isn't drawn here, this is going to continue. This is going to continue to get worse.
Speaker 2: And I mean all of this is in relation to Trump's executive order, you know about quote unquote anti Semitism. Meanwhile, today in the Oval Office he said something incredibly anti Semitic and also anti Arab somehow, like in this same statement saying, quote, Schumer is a Palestinian as far as I'm concerned, he's become a Palestinian. He used to be Jewish, He's not Jewish anymore. He's a Palestinian unquote, which is just an unbelievably anti Semitic and anti Arab statement all at once, like removing someone's Jewishness because of how they act or things they've said or things they believe in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's one of those things. Again, Like it's worth like covering this as it develops. There's not much to say other than like, this is incredibly illegal and has to be opposed immediately and vigorously. Like yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 2: It's really bad. And of course you're not gonna have the ADL coming out against Trump hero.
Speaker 3: The ACLU did, which I should note because I heard some people saying they did not expect the ACLU too they have. But yeah, the ADL is fully in the camp of lock any one up who's ever protested Israel.
Speaker 2: And they're not gonna call Trump anti Semitic for making a statement like this, Yeah, because their interests are are fairly aligned at this point. Read what's happening in Gaza. So I think now we're gonna play a special report from James, who can't be on the recording here today, but he does have a report on deportations in Panama. So James take it away.
Speaker 6: So something that we've seen in the last week is that the people who the US government has deported to Panama who it can't deport to their home countries, have in some cases been released by the Panamanian government and given a thirty day visa or thirty days to essentially exit Panama, and they're not really been given any support. So they're in some cases like just sleeping on the streets in Panama City, right just wandering around trying to work out how to get home and trying to work out like what they should do next.
Speaker 3: Obviously, these people who.
Speaker 6: Have fled places like Afghanistan, Iran, right, places where they can't go back to, they would face persecution just for the act of having tried to lead they weren't already facing persecution before, which many of them were.
Speaker 3: That that's why they fled.
Speaker 6: So they've just kind of kicked it down the road a little bit and we'll see where this leads. But it's another piece of evidence that this wasn't hugely well planned, that the Trump administration just wanted to get these deportation numbers up but almost cost.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna go on a break and come back to talk about the Department of Education and Tariff talk with Mia Walong.
Speaker 3: Wow. Well, we are back, and you know it's everyone's favorite time of the podcast talking about tariffs. And before we get to Mia, I want to bring on a musical guest to set this section of the program up.
Speaker 7: Rocky Jazz Bob rocking jazz boy locking rocking jazz bo rocking.
Speaker 4: Jazz bo Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my gosh. That was worth the rest of our year's budget. Now everyone will be getting paid for the rest of the year in Denny's coupons. That's all we have left after paying for this. But I think we can all agree worth it.
Speaker 2: Do you want to explain what that is because I still don't really have a clue what exactly that opening theme song is for Tariff Talk.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a great band called the Clash once and they wrote one song that wasn't very good, and in it, somebody says something that didn't sound very much like the word tariff. But if you mispronounce the word tariff, it fit in. And that's where forty two thousand dollars of our operating budget this year went. Anyway, Mia, let's talk about tariff's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now that I've now that I've gotten one of the two things I've ever wanted in life, play on music. So since last week this has been an entire roller coaster because right after we finished recording, in like the next two days, everyone went, oh, the tariff aren't going to be that bad, because a lot of the tariffs that were hit with Trump sort of general twenty five percent Canada Mexico tariff got waved after Trump agreed not to apply them to goods covered by the U SMA Free Trade Agreement. But then everyone remembered that the twenty five percent steel in a Lune of tariff was still going into effect, and so that went into effect this week. Now, there was also a brief, incredible moment of panic where Trump was talking about doubling them to fifty percent. He backs off of this in exchange for Ontario's Doug Ford stopping a like twenty five percent increase in electricity prices. However, coma, the trade war is one hundred percent still on. Canada is doing a whole like sort of slate of reciprocal tariffs specifically on steel and also tariffs and taxes on a whole suite of other US goods. I'm just going to read this from the Associated Press, because this is no longer the trade war here is no longer limited to the US, Canada, China, and to some extp Mexico. For Mexico's really hasn't been responding in the same way as basically every other country who's come under these tariffs, or at least the sort of main focuses of these tariffs. But this week the EU officially joined the phrase. So here's from the AP quote across the Atlantic, the European Union will raise terrace on American beef, poultry, bourbon and motorcycles. Bourbon again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, bourbon twice. Yeah, bourbon twice. It's twice as important as the other things.
Speaker 4: Yes, peanut, butter and jeans. Actually you say this, there was a whole like part of the whole speech. It was not a joke, maya people the EU would like this. This was this was part of the thing. Was yeah, like, we're hoping to restore the profitability of the American spirits markets with the US backs down.
Speaker 2: It was also the only American product that Trudeau can named during his big very funny.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, outside of music, this nation has produced one thing of value to the world, and it's bourbon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty reusable It's also very funny that it was like Bourbon was like our what attempt number was it at making whiskey before we finally got one that was like exportable.
Speaker 3: Terrible. I mean, yeah, it took. It took generations. Look, you know, Rome wasn't built in the day, and Bourbon is the rome of liquors produced in Kentucky.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and speaking of it being produced in Kentucky, this is actually deliberately Okay, well, all right, so the EU in theory, the line that they're saying is that these are deliberately designed to like target things that are made in red States. They also did do soybean tariffs too, though, which is you know, like you're dropping a new kin Illinois here. Okay, So the EU as impost reciprocal tariffs on twenty eight billion dollars of US goods. Also on Tuesday, China's tariffs went into effect, which means the agricultural terrifts that we talked about last week. And notably I keep coming back to soybeans because soybeans are such a critical part of the system of American agriculture as the crop that you rotate out with coren to sort of like preserve soil integrity. The Chinese tariffs are now in effect. It's mostly on agricultural goods. Yeah, and this has I think in ways that are pretty predictable, at least to me. This has caused a lot of panic in the markets. There's been some sort of rallying as like more information comes in, but there's stuff that I did not predict, which is so okay. Goldman Sachs has downgraded its projection for us GDP growth. Their chief economist is talking about how he thinks we're gonna get stagflation again, which is sort of While ceclation was the thing in the seventies that was, you know, like you have inflation and unemployment growth at the same time, this is basically the economic condition that liquidated the welfare state and allowed to write take power in the first place.
Speaker 2: That's funny because when I google stag inflation, I get very different results. That could just be my own.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's stagfilation, Garrison, two very different things.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, yeah, I think I I think I'm anyway.
Speaker 4: The things I have to deal with on this job, they never warned me every single time. It's true, It's true, it's true.
Speaker 6: This is this.
Speaker 4: This makes up for a lot.
Speaker 3: If you ever get to fight the Undertaker, you have a song to go on too.
Speaker 4: It's true, So okay now now, so it's sort of more surprisingly and this is something I have literally never seen before with the US. Both City Bank, while City which is the over the City Bank like changed his name to City or something, but City Bank and ubs the giants Swiss Bank downgraded the status of all US equities. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. They are also boosting the status of Chinese and EU equity So this is basically like this doesn't have like a technical official effect, but this is like this is basically their their evaluation of what countries like stocks basically you should purchase right And this is also sort of applies to bonds, So.
Speaker 7: Is that bad?
Speaker 4: This is like I assume that the US would get its actual credit rating devalued before this happens. I've never this is this is unreal. Like the argument that they are making here is that it is because of the instability in the US, like because because of the tariffs and because of everything that's going on, that like you should just fucking pull your money out of the out of the US and American companies and put it somewhere else. And they're they're secifically boosting the status of Chinese and EU equities, which is astonishing because again one of one of the one of the countries again who's whose equity status that they are boosting is China. China's economy is a fucking disaster right now. They're dealing with like their fucking housing bubble going under. They've been trying to do this pivot to a consumer based economy for years and years and years and years, and it doesn't work because they don't pay people enough to actually like fuel an economy consumer spending. Like they're you know, they're they're about to take giant damage from the trade war. And also they like you know, like it was only like three years ago the CCP faced their first like nationwide mass protests like since Tianneman, right, and these guys like and again these are these these are the financial analysts of City Bank and UBS have looked at that and went, you are better off putting your money there than you are putting it in the US.
Speaker 2: I mean, at this point, I think Trump's tariffs have wiped out. I'm reading four trillion from the US stock market just in this past month.
Speaker 3: Now, now trillion?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 3: Okay? So for example, I have thirty two dollars right now in in my pocket. Is it more than that? I think it's a little bit more, Okay, Okay, okay, so it is enough to buy two different servings of pizza. Okay, this is I'm trying to put this into terms I can understand, thank you.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: Imagine, imagine one burger, right.
Speaker 3: And a burger and Portland does cost thirty two dollars?
Speaker 2: So yes, yes, Now now imagine I thought you're gonna say, does cost for tull a dollar?
Speaker 4: I mean probably tomorrow, right, like khudos. I don't know if if any fucking plagues that.
Speaker 3: We're doing adding levity because this is legitimately kind of frightening.
Speaker 4: No, like this is I have never seen the financial press like, yes, like the only times I've ever seen the financial pressure react to something like this is like they were kind of acting like this about the possibility of Jeremy Corbin like taking power in the UK, like they are like I washed a guy on CNBC, right, this is not like like this is this is not MSNBC. This is not even like CNN. This is CNBC literally go on air and call what Trump is doing quote insane and start talking about how and this is and this is I think what these people are worried about is they're you know, the thing that they're seeing that's starting right now, and it's starting with these sort of these downgrades views equities is capital flight, which is straight up a butt like international capital taking their money from the US and fucking literally moving out of the country and moving it somewhere else because the US is so unstable. This is like, I don't know if anyone knows what mass capital flight from the US would do, because I've never seen anything like this. So part of what's going on right and part of the reason the markets have kind of recovered in the last few days after the tanking, and they did Monday, is that, like the inflation data came out and it wasn't that bad. But the thing is, all of the inflation data we're getting right now, and all of the economic indicators we're getting right now, it's gonna take a little bit of time for the actual effects of these terrorists to set in, right Like these are these are things that like you know, it's going to take it's going to take like six months, maybe a year before we fully see the impact of that. But and when we do, it is going to fucking law ismoking creator into the economy. And the worst part of it this about this is this isn't even the most unhinged part of this. The most unhinged part of this is how the Republicans have been reacting to all of this in Congress. So one of the few things the Democrats have been trying to do, and I say one of the few because like the response has been Downwright collaborationists, that they've been trying to force Republicans to take a vote on the tariffs, because the tariffs are unbelievably unpopular, and they're particularly unbelievably unpopular among like the capital owning class, who you know, actually matter. So what they've been trying to do is that Trump did these tariffs by declaring a state of emergency, and the Democrats wanted to use the National Emergencies Act to force the vote in the tariffs. I'm just going to read this in the New York Times. The National Emergency Law lays out a fast track process for Congress to consider a resolution ending a presidential emergency, requiring committee consideration within fifteen calendar days after one is introduced, and a floor vote within three days after that. But the language the House Republicans inserted into their measure on Tuesday declare that quote each day for the remainder of the one hundred and nineteenth Congress shall not constitute a calendar day for the purposes of the emergency that Trump declared on February first. So the point we are at right now is is in order to preserve a bunch of tariffs which are effectively about to fucking obliterate the entire world economy, Congress has declared that days don't pass. This is fucking this is completely unhinged. This is fucking like caligulous horse in the Senate shit like they again, they are literally they have literally declared that calendar days passing are not actually calendar days, so that Trump can just keep doing tariff shit and rule by fiat like the Israelites.
Speaker 2: They have stopped time in order to win the battle.
Speaker 4: It's it's genuinely astonishing and the extent to which this has kind of just been swept under the rug Republicans have been you know, doing this kind of quietly right and there. And and the fact that like the fact that Democrats are not literally on TV every single second of every day going that the Republicans are voting to stop time so that Trump can destroy the economy is astonishing. It's this real, like sort of admission by the Republican Congress that like they're seating authority over policy like to Trump completely right, Like the government now is Trump ruling by sort of fear and people attempting to sort of like run circles around him in courts, which is not you know, working enormously. Well, yeah, we'll see and and you know, and this this, this is starting to have effects on like investor confidence like in the in like the US as a political entity in the US is an economic entity, which is unprecedented. The other thing I think it's worth noting is that these people like Elin Must Donald Trump the people around them have been saying for a long time that the plan is to cause a recession and then after the recession things are going to get better, and the financial pressures hasn't believed them. And this right now is the period in which they're starting to realize that they were serious about this, and I don't know what the political ramifications of that are going to be, because these are people who actually matter in the political system, and I think we'll see the rammications of this play out and then this sort of coming weeks and months. But this is a fucking cliff that we've hit, and we're now like Wiley Coyote, like running off the side and trying not to look down.
Speaker 3: But on the upside, we have a great new song for everybody.
Speaker 1: So woo.
Speaker 3: Who's to say if any of this has been bad?
Speaker 2: All right, we are back speaking of running circles around the courts. We do have a small update reusade side. Last week, in a five to four vote, the Supreme Court denied an appeal from the Trump administration in a case regarding Trump's attempted federal funds freeze and the shuddering of you said. This was a case filed by the AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition and the Global Health Council. The White House is now required to pay foreign aid contractors for work that has already been completed, and further details will be worked out back in the district court. And it's still unclear if the Trump administration is going to abide by the court's ruling and resume all required payments. But this is the first move from the Supreme Court regarding Trump's actions the past few months. This has also not stopped Trump from trying to slowly close other entire government agencies. This very week, the Education Department laid off nearly half of its workforce, over one thousand and three hundred employees. Late Tuesday night, Education Secretary Linda McMahon went onto Fox News to say that this reduction force is only the first step towards abolishing the entire Education Department, saying, quote, this was the president's mandate. His directive to me clearly is to shut down the Department of Education, which we know we'll have to work with Congress, you know, to get that accomplished. But what we did today was to take the first step of eliminating what I think is a bureaucratic bloat unquote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I mean, like, you know, we've talked on the show for a long time how eliminating Department of Education eventually destroying public education has been a long running goal. Oh yeah, of the most absolutely unhinged of these people, who are the people now in charge. And Yeah, they've decided to just like individually fuck every child in the US. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, and so far, the way that they're trying to close up the Department of Education is kind of in a more selective manner because they're still keeping certain parts of the department active.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On March tenth, the Education Department announced that they were launching investigations into sixty universities for quote Title six violations relating to anti Semitic harassment and discrimination quote and this is in relation to anti genocide protests on campus. And this comes after Trump announced the immediate cancelation of four hundred million dollars in federal grants and contracts to Columbia University. The Education Department is threatening that these other fifty nine universities may lose their funding if they do not quote enforce Title six of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits any institution that receives federal funds from discriminating on the basis of race, color, and national origin. National origin includes shared a Jewish ancestry Unquote. I don't know how to say here.
Speaker 4: You get to see all the threads of this admin coming together, right, which is that you know, these people are also attempting to effectively destroy like the secondary education system in this country two for reasons that are sort of unclear to me, I don't know. But what we're seeing here, right is the ways that the Democrats sort of like falling into lockscept with Republicans on back of the genocide in Israel has sort of led to this thing where the Republicans are using this to just straight up obliterate like all of the US's like political, economic, and social institutions.
Speaker 2: Well and specifically with this like investigation, they are they are trying to get all these universities to cooperate in efforts to selectively remove students who have protested against the genocide in Gaza. Right, this is this is the you know, the same attack on free speech and free expression that they're doing against Khalil, Like this is this is the same exact purpose, and now they're trying to get more and more universities to be complicit in like the selective removal of people in this country who choose to express their First Amendment rights regardless of whether they're a citizen, a Green card holder, or on a student visa. So this is this is all deeply, deeply worrying. Robert, you have a you have a small segment you want to discuss before we start to close out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a little bit at the end here. So in the subreddit for the five OHO five oh one protest campaign, which is an attempt to do protests in all fifties dates simultaneously, right, I think their next day of action is coming up in April. I'm not giving an opinion on the overall thing, but in the subreddit, somebody posted claiming to be a National Guard soldier given kind of his thoughts on how the National Guard would respond to orders to carry out violence against US citizens, And I just wanted to chat about this book because it's something we talk about on the show pretty regularly. My opinion is that one of the likely ways things come to a head, probably as early as this summer, is that there is mass protests in DC and the Insurrection Act gets used and the Guard at least are brought in to attempt to crack down. I mean, obviously Trump has done a version of this before, and Trump and his state attorney have both discussed using the Insurrection Act to crack down on protests. I think they see DC as the place they want to do that. So it's interesting to me to see a post like this. This is not a thing where like I've been able to verify this guy. Yet there's a couple of points that make me that is probably is a National guardsman. For one thing, there's a lot of them, right, Like, this is not like a National guardsman. Where'd you find one? There's a ton of fucking dudes in the National Guard. For the other thing, everything he says is consistent with things that I have seen and talked to other people who are in and were in the Guard about. There's one little bit where he advises people on like stop the bleed gear, and he gives good advice. He says, only buy from NAAR and North American Rescue. It's the same advice we would have given. He cites DoD Directive thirteen forty four to ten, which is why he believes he's well within his rights to make a post like this, And in essence, what he's saying is that it is his belief that most of the military chain of command from NCOs up to officers would not be down with following illegal orders to fire on US citizens. But the vast majority of enlisted troops, if fired upon, would get over whatever issues they have with that very quickly, right. That's the gist of it is that I think, you know, within sort of the officer class and the NCO class, there are a lot of resistance to the idea of the military being used for domestic policing. That is less clear with kind of the enlisted class, who are you A significant chuck of them are very much down for Trump. But whatever sort of divisions exist within enlisted soldiers would fall apart pretty quickly if soldiers were fired upon. And I think this is probably like a assuming this is accurate, and I don't really see a reason to doubt it. There's nothing he's saying here that's crazy. I think this is kind of an interesting thing to keep in mind that, like, when you're looking at the military, it's not the police. Like if I have to have armed agents of the state cracking down on a protest, I'm less worried about people being killed if it's the National Guard in general. But that situation can change very very rapidly if the situation becomes an active firefight. And I do think like that's a thing we have to consider right now. What was the possibility that we have US soldiers, whether the National Guard or active duty, engaged openly in shooting at American protesters. Like that's in the cards as early as this summer, and it's not a fun the thing to think about. But I'm seeing more and more, not just posts like this, but I'm having more and more conversations with people who are in the military or who were are in the National Guard about their concerns about what they might be called upon to do. Some of this has to do with the border, but like it is becoming increasingly common for people in the military to worry about how they are going to be used in the immediate future. We're not talking about years. We're talking about this summer, right is when there's a very good chance a lot of stuff comes to a head. So these are things you should be thinking about. If you're listening and you are in the military, these are things that you should be thinking about because the people who are in charge of our government right now have made a lot of statements about how they want to use the military to deal with protest tests, and the idea that that's going to happen very soon is not not fringe you're crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, and although these people might have you know, slightly more disciplined when it comes to actual firearms. There is also incidents like in twenty twenty yep where the Kentucky Army National Guard killed someone via the misuse of crowd control absolutely munitions. I think that this this is also worth stating. Even if you know, like a kent State situation, maybe is not not as likely in like the modern day, there's certainly other other ways to cause grievous harm. Yes, in these sorts of like protest environments, and.
Speaker 3: When we've seen I mean even in Portland, when we have seen which you witnessed personally, unfortunately, Garrison, the worst injuries to crowd control devices are usually people in our case it was federal agents, but who are utilizing crowd control weapons and have not trained on them. Yeah, because they're not. There's certain ways you're supposed to and not supposed to use them, and these guys are just Hey, you know how to use a gun. You must know how to use the robot balling thing.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: No, if you use like less lethals the way you would use you know, a regular firearm, that actually leads to like much more like possible lethal consequences or like life changing consequences. Yeah, which you know, police are more familiar with the regular use of crowd control munitions than necessarily you know, like bore attack or like state national guards. Something that's also you know, worth keeping in mind. Let's close by my my least favorite segment, Stinky Musk, which I still has a really bad name. On Monday, a Central judge ruled that Musk's DOGE should be the subject to comply with FOIA requests and public disclosures of information required of government agencies, with the judge ordering the release of email correspondence between Musk's team and the Office of Management and Budget and was ordered to quote begin producing documents on a rolling basis as soon as practicable unquote now. Despite Musk's claims of quote unquote maximum transparency. Last month, the Trump administration tried to shield DOGE from public records requests by labeling the agency's documents as quote unquote presidential records, which carries special protections. This specific case is super interesting. The judge of federal judge by the name of Cooper also critiqued the way that the Trump admin tried to litigate this case, quoting from political quote, the lawyers offered virtually nothing in the way of evidence about doge's operations or management. Indeed, the court wonders whether this decision was strategic, Cooper said, noting that the Trump administration lawyers had taken competing positions, including that DOGE qualifies as an agency under some sections of law but not others when it suits it. Thus, DOGE becomes, on the defendant's view, a Goldilocke's entity, Cooper wrote, not an agency when it's burdensome, but an agency when it's convenient unquote. And I do like Cooper's analysis here of how DOGE is very selectively an agency only when it causes you know, benefit to Trump or Musk. And finally, we have one other Musk story to close out. This episode admits Tesla's plummeting stock price, protests outside Tesla dealerships, and reports of vandalism of dealerships across the country. Trump has essentially started doing ads for Tesla on the White House driveway. Upon climbing in a red car that he's not allowed to operate, Trump remarked, Wow, everything is computer So this was a very very odd and kind of embarrassing show of favoritism where Musk brought out like a number of different Tesla models and Trump got to quote unquote, you know, pick the one that he wanted to buy, as he just like sat in on this like televised advertisement for Tesla as his you know, company is losing a shocking amount of money in the in the stock market.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And there, I mean there, there's literally there's literally a picture of him with like the notes that he has. There's like in an in like really really.
Speaker 2: Like a Tesla's sales note like bullet point of like how much certain models are, what their different features are, which ones have self driving features included, which ones you have to pay extra for.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, he's literally carrying like a Tesla sales pitch as he does this televised appearance boosting his new best friends and co president's company. Trump said on True Social the radical left lunatics are trying to illegally and collusively boycott Tesla, one of the world's greatest automakers and Elon's baby, in order to attack and do harm to Elon and everything he stands for unquote. So now not only has Trump called the Tesla boycott illegal, which which is, you know, its own form of unhinged. But on Tuesday, Trump announced that vandalism of Tesla's will be labeled as domestic terrorism, promising that perpetrators will quote unquote go through hell. White House spokesperson Harrison Fields said, quote ongoing and heinous acts of violence against Tesla's by radical leftist activists are nothing short of domestic terror unquote, So that.
Speaker 3: Would be fun to see how that blaze out.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're we genuinely are not that far off from just like Trump trying to hand down legal mandate saying you must buy a Tesla like this. This is the this is the kind of shit that we're in now.
Speaker 2: Now, this is one of the most like bizarre things I've ever seen. If if Biden or any Democratic president did anything similar to this, you would have like thralls of people screaming for his impeachment, similar to like the erg Adams thing. It's like one of the most blatant open displays of corruption I've ever seen, where I president is using his office to boost like the personal financial interests of one of his top advisors who's also like running government agencies essentially and doing massive massive cuts to prohibit their ability to like investigate his own businesses, while also taking massive amounts of government money to keep businesses like Tesla and SpaceX operable. So this has been a pretty pretty silly thing to watch unfold the past few days, and now Tesla shares have risen four percent after Trump's support for Musk and Tesla.
Speaker 3: Great, well, I think that's going to do it here at us with the ed to play us out, We're gonna refer back to our friend the Narcissist Cookbook who put together our lovely new tariff theme song that you're gonna hear every week until tariffs aren't a thing anymore.
Speaker 2: We reported the news.
Speaker 7: Locky jazz bob locking jazzpot, Sorry, lock locking jazz bob locking jazz Bot.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, ap a podcast, or wherever you use to podcasts. We can now find sources for It could Happen Here. Listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.