Speaker 1: Hey, folks. It is Thursday, September the twenty fifth, and the question being asked in court today is it prostitution if you paid to watch two other people have sex. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ and Rose. This is where we are. Diddy has not been in that court room since his conviction in July. He was in there today making an argument for why his conviction should be thrown out and key to it, what exactly is prostitution?
Speaker 2: Now, I'm curious about this concept. Did the lawyers get into this the way they did today in this hearing during trial? Are they trying a new tactic out so to speak, to undo the convictions that did go down.
Speaker 1: Part of the argument is he was not convicted of the harsher countclose other three harsh counts. That means that the jury doesn't think he was guilty of that stuff. It means these chargers wouldn't even exist. If he's not guilty of that stuff, these charges shouldn't even be here. That's one of the arguments that they are making. So they tried to make the case during the trial through witness testimony and whatnot. Here is a case where now they are putting it on paper in emotion, and today they got in court. So to get you caught up, folks, Yes, Sean Diddy Combs was in court today. He did have a hearing that wrapped up a little while ago as of this recording, but it went about ninety minutes and his lawyers and the prosecution were making an argument. Their motion is that they think his convictions for transportation to engage in prostitution should be thrown out, and they've asked the judge to do so. We are on standby as we sit here, Robes. He was very vague about when we were going to hear.
Speaker 2: From you, did he say? Shortly? A decision very shortly, and it has to be very surely. We don't know if that means within thirty minutes, a couple hours tomorrow, but it has to be within a certain amount of time because his sentencing hearing is set exactly a week from today, where we will find out if this doesn't work, If this option doesn't work for Diddy, just how long will he have to serve behind bars? So, yes, it's timely, indeed, and yeah, very shortly is tough to nail down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be today, it could be overnight tomorrow and we don't know. But if we hear from this judge, I mean, it's okay. You've read more about the legal experts than I have, and most of them are saying not a chance in hell right correct.
Speaker 2: Everyone says this is a hail Mary is how it's being described, and if you're a football fan, you know exactly what that means. But it's that last past to see if you can suddenly score a touchdown when no one was expecting you to. Everyone thought you were gonna lose, and suddenly bam.
Speaker 1: It's unlikely, but sometimes it works.
Speaker 2: And the reason why everyone says it's so unlikely is because they're looking at this judge's past behavior, his past decisions, and they all have. He has stated very clearly that he believes that Shawan Didtycombs is a violent man, is a dangerous man, and that is why he denied him bail, and he is been very consistent in making those types of statements and the decisions that follow.
Speaker 1: We've lost how many times the count of how many times they have tried to get this man out of jail. They have come up with, we will do anything you want, judge, including the fifty million, put any security anything you want. Every time he has said we cannot guarantee, based on his behavior that he is not a threat to society or to people in his world.
Speaker 2: And we made the comment the last time we did a full podcast on this when he was trying to get bail waiting for the sentencing date next week? Didn't they use this same argument for why so the reason why they thought he should be allowed out on bail, I feel like sounds a little similar to why now they believe his conviction should be tossed out because they're talking about the Man Act and that that is the reason why he was convicted, and it was unfair. It's a misuse of the law to prosecute him under these charges.
Speaker 1: Say, in modern times now this has mainly been used for people who are benefiting from the prostitution, benefiting financially, in other words, a pimp for lack of a better term. So why is it this guy should he be going to prison for years for prostitution He didn't benefit from financially, and he also did not participate physically. He didn't have sex with anybody. He gave money to correct.
Speaker 2: The other thing that's so interesting in what we heard today. So we've been hearing a lot about the First Amendment. Right, We've been hearing a lot about the First Amendment when it comes to Charlie Kirk, when it comes to Jimmy Kimmel. The First Amendment has come up now in this argument to set Ditty free because they say that these videos that he made were basically amateur porn videos and that they were his expressive content. So this is a violation of his First Amendment rights to basically say he wasn't allowed it is illegal for him to making these videos of people he paid to have sex.
Speaker 1: I am you know, I'm I'm glad to see the First Amendment having its moment where.
Speaker 2: It's been a hell of a week for the First Amendment.
Speaker 1: We're discussing it quite a bit late night comics and medium moguls who are possibly going to prison for a prostitution is what we're dealing with. It's fascinating to hear that the law is fascinating. But yes, to think that the argument for did he not going to prison is that it could possibly be a violation of his First Amendment right, that is amazing.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a bit of a stretch for me. But you know what, I wasn't in a hearing to hear all the details. And these are the most brilliant lawyers that money can buy, and they'd certainly proven to be that. But that was a that was a my eyebrows raised a little bit when I was reading about that.
Speaker 1: But the judge, I mean, there were a lot of questions he gave, like several hypotheticals about prostitution today. Here you go. This is when he was taking on the prosecutors. The judge asked them, so, wait a minute, what if a porn producer hires a couple actors, flies them in and then films them having sex and they get paid, are they also violators of the Man Act? Now? The response from the prosecutor was, well, that's a totally different set of circumstances. It's different. But that is essentially what the defense is saying, Yeah, he paid some people to come perform, and they perform their duty.
Speaker 2: For his personal amateur porn collection.
Speaker 1: Yes, to be watched later. That is kind of a simple A how about this? A legal simpleton like me can make sense of that argument the way he put it.
Speaker 2: I can too, because look, we have said this time and time again following this trial so closely that if they had just or if whoever wanted to bring the charges had filed charges against him for domestic assault, domestic battery, these charges would have stuck. They would have made sense. He admitted to them. What they decided to do was go for these big charges with these longer prison sentences, and now they're having to explain their way out of it, and there is some it makes sense that there is some legal potential legal loopholes for the defense to poke holes in at least and to say, hey, they're trying to say all this. But in a sense, all he was doing was sexually gratifying himself by making videos of other people who were having sex together. He wasn't involved, but he was watching, he was recording. He set it up like a movie set, I mean, he was producing it. He wanted a lot of baby oil, he wanted he had very specific needs that he wanted for things to look a certain way, to be a certain way.
Speaker 1: That was part of the argument. He stayed clearly, he was trying to film something and there was a performance. This was role playaging something. God's the argument, and in doing so he had every right to do so, and if you want to put him in prison for it, it's a violation of his First Amendment rights he has protected under the Constitution to make freak off videos. Guys, is a good country. It's an amazing country when you think about that. Yeah, aside from all the other stuff we're talking about, we're not talking about the violence here and in all of.
Speaker 2: This, because that's not what the charges are, not what the convictions were.
Speaker 1: On, not what we're talking about. But they want to make the argument that yes, he was only they might be lesser charges, but they are aggravating circumstances that we all know about, and that is what the judge has signals he's going to take into account.
Speaker 2: And Babe, we were having this conversation earlier because I was looking at several news reports that were basically saying that in this hearing today, the defense is setting up their arguments for the sentencing that they're asking for next week. So all of this will be taken into account. Even if the judge decides, and we expect him to decide not to give Diddy at least, or to throw out the charges, or even to give him a new trial still what we heard today in court will likely be applied towards his sentencing.
Speaker 1: Again, would you say, the best legal team in the country, they know what they're doing. Even if we lose this, it's going to help us win or lessen what happens next week. So next week, I mean, this is sweetheart. This is a huge divergence in what they're asking for in terms of his prison time. The defense is asking for as little as possible. Fourteen months, he's served thirteen already, homeboy be out, maybe even by Halloween.
Speaker 2: I think they said, with credit for time served or for good behavior, sorry good behavior that actually he could walk out that day.
Speaker 1: Potentially good behavior. It counts right. It's cutting a little up.
Speaker 2: And they went into long discussions about how great he's been, how stellar of an inmate he's been, how he's setting up these classes for inmates to learn how to be businessmen and how to do good and be better and make their own money when they get out of prison. So they were showing what he's done in prison, what he's done behind bars, not just good behavior, but he's been a leader in all the right ways behind bars.
Speaker 1: All that stuff was important and doesn't make you remember the Menindez brothers who were denied right getting out, and so much came up about their conduct in prison. Everybody was, Oh, they've been model prisoners.
Speaker 2: Turns out they weren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Parobo, you did this, you did all that little stuff matters, And if it's true that he has been a model prisoner, the judge may very well and can take that into account. Good job. Again, this is part of the legal strategy as well. Whoever his lawyers were from day one. They say, Yep, you're going to jail today. You need to behave and be the best you can every single day because it's going to matter down the road.
Speaker 2: Yes, and here we are now, and if you do have someone planning ahead, I mean, that does make a huge difference in terms of how the judge is going to view how long you have to continue behind bars at this point. So, yes, they want fourteen months, which would essentially mean he would walk next week, give or take a few weeks or so. But the defense initially sorry, the prosecution initially said they wanted five to six years. But now they're being coy about it. We don't know. They haven't actually filed the paperwork to say exactly how much longer they'd like him to serve, but it has been rumored and I've seen multiple reports that the prosecutors are going to ask for even longer, that they want an even longer sentence than the five to six years that they had initially discussed a couple months ago. There now it seems as though they may ask for even more.
Speaker 1: What is about to happen rogues. All of this, folks, right now is on the table. He could be he could have those convictions tossed as at any moment and get out of prison. He could have those convictions stand but still next week be sentenced and still walk right out of prison. Or he could be sentenced and be in jail for the next seven years.
Speaker 2: Or he could also get a new trial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what they're asking for as well.
Speaker 2: So there are four potential outcasts.
Speaker 1: But we will know very shortly. But we do want to tell you, folks, stay here. We're going to take a beat, but we want you to hear a little color from the courtroom today and also what Diddy allegedly said to his family about his future.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to this edition of Amy and TJ, where we are talking about Sean Dittycomb's hearing today in court, and yes, we talked about what's at stake. We know what the defense is asking for. We're waiting for the judge who could come out at any moment now and tell us his decision and what's on the table. Will they throw out the charges against him, will they give him a new trial? If neither one of those things goes forward, then we have sentencing next week. So either way, we're going to get some big developments here today, within the next couple of hours, maybe tomorrow, and certainly next week. But what happened today, we haven't seen Didty in three months, and it was a big deal to see him come out in court today with a big smile. He was described as having a big smile on his face when he walked into that courtroom this morning.
Speaker 1: This was a big day. He knows this is wrapping up and he is going to know his fate. I mean, the the ups and downs of this. I mean, look, nobody's looking at him and thinking he is a victim or feel sorry for him, and I understand that, but you remember the day the verdicts were read. That was a day he could have found out he was going to possibly go away for life. But the news he heard was so good with the two convictions. Remember he dropped to his knees. Yes, thank you Jesus, all these things. And then they thought he might get out of jail that day. They did big no, so he had to stay. That's a disappointment. So now here he is again. With all these options. He really could be out of there in no time, or he might have another five, six, seven years.
Speaker 2: But he seemed I mean maybe he you know, I'm sure you have a lot of time to work on your mental health and to work on your spiritual health. And so he seemed to be very positive, not just smiling, but waving to his family and friends. He didn't speak today during the hearing, but he was blowing kisses to his family. At the end, he told his mother how beautiful she looked today. And he did have some final parting words for the family and friends who came out to see him.
Speaker 1: And this is looks what the reporters in the room say that he did say to his family, quote, thank you all for coming. I love you all so much. Every hour, every day is me getting closer to going home. I've got some big plans for us, and that is from the reporters in the room. What he said to his family as he was exiting. I guess so what that means. That's curious, But he I think sick. Yeah, six kids that were in the court today. He had a big showing of family today.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because that is an extreme positive way and a positive message to his family, a positive way to phrase what he's looking at and what his future may look like. But you'd think his lawyers would be giving him some indication as to what they think might happen. You'd think they'd give him some level of expectation. Maybe they'd tell him we have no idea. I mean, I'm curious what they're saying to him to keep him or at least to help give him some hope at this point.
Speaker 1: Manage expectations or me, I want you to tell me the worst case scenario. Don't give me too much hope and this thing. But why wouldn't he I mean, he's gotten this far and by all accounts, this was a victory for his defense team. To go from facing life to possibly getting out in a little over a year of serving time after all of this is pretty remarkable. So we are on stand by. We'll stay on stand by. Look up, the judge comes out and says something will hop back on as necessary. We want to give you this update, and we haven't done a Diddy update, I know, in a while. Right back up, right, this was so much of our lives from a month and a half it felt like. But now this is wrapping up for real.
Speaker 2: But this is going to be huge either way, and we'll find out more about what Diddy's fate looks like. And look after he said I'm coming every day, every hour and coming closer to home. He said, don't worry about nothing, no matter what it is, I'm going to deal with whatever it is. So that gives you a sense of his state of mind, that he is at a place of acceptance, hopeful acceptance is what it sounded like to me today from Sean Ditty Cums.
Speaker 1: All right, well, folks, we always appreciate you hanging with us for my dear Amy Robot. I'm TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to y'all soon.