Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the best of Cabino and Rich podcast. Be sure to catch us live every day from five to seven pm to eastern two to four pacifics on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for Gabino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR. I'm Steve Cavino from Union, New Jersey. Oh that one from Fox Sports Radio. From the store. You'll see me at Trader Joe's later on. That's Rich Davis Bundy. Ge is here, Sam, is your buyers here? Thank you for being here. Let's rock out. Yeah, I need just pick me up the best two hours of the day. Agett are Humpty hump on on a hump day. So pumped to be here. Who's sang the Humpty Dance?
Speaker 2: I was, Sam?
Speaker 1: Come on, it's a digital underground there it is.
Speaker 2: Thank you morning.
Speaker 1: Should know that me and a shower this morning. All right, So hope you had a George Lombard Junior sort of night. Just like I said, maybe you should tune in and watch the kid. He made his debut last night. We're gonna talk about it. Plus Justin Herbert's in the news. We're gonna talk a little PDA. We'll explain PDA talking love birds here on the show. Pc Yeah, that was yesterday NODA and it's Wednesday. So Sammy, are you ready for Midweek?
Speaker 2: Major?
Speaker 1: I am the biggest stories in sports and pop culture? We decide are they midweek or Major? Sam gives them to us and Mike, who runs this take? Who is gonna talk more relationships on the show?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Before you start the show? I gotta ask Danny G, like, are you okay?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I mean, I know the Dodgers are like like going for lost number six. I can't roll my eyes more at Danny G. At our pre show meeting him and Big Mike. We're saying, man, the Dodgers could go for their sixth loss in a row right now, and then, to quote Danny G, yeah, man, they would only be eight up in the division.
Speaker 2: Only Rich I forgot.
Speaker 4: I forget, hey, I forgot what it felt like to go on a losing streak like so no, I dude, I I was feeling for Rich as I watched the loss last night, because if that's what it feels like to be a baseball fan, I forgot.
Speaker 2: It's only Yeah, school is probably really sad now.
Speaker 4: But hey, I told you a few days ago that the Dodgers were in a little bit of trouble with the pitching rotation and some of the entries, and Rich laughed at me.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh yeah, right, yeah, but look at there some runs when school was on the matter. You know you had a chance to win and you lose.
Speaker 4: Okay, Rich, at what point do you get worried? As far as a losing street goes how many in a row?
Speaker 1: It doesn't to me, the losing riches Mets, those like twelve, It doesn't. The number doesn't matter. It's the fact that if you look at the baseball standings right now, see, you know what I would be concerned about if I were you, If I'm a Dodgers fan, which I really should have let my kid be a Dodgers fan. I remember my son's like, I like the Mets and the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: As by the way, as then you forced them into Mets. Did is it a two run home run? Or is that a double home run?
Speaker 2: We might not be sarch in a row show hay oh Tani, But I think.
Speaker 1: What you have to worry about, Danny g if you want to just get nerdy baseball for a second, they got to be the one or two seed. Because the way baseball playoffs are structured is that because there's three division winners and three wildcards, that third division winner is technically a wildcard, meaning they just host the wildcard round. Only two teams get that buy. So I think the fail for the Dodgers would be is slump enough where you're not the one or two seed and you have to play a best of three, which could go anyway. That's that's the way the Dodgers get eliminated. The rest of baseball should be like, man, let them be the three seed. That way they have to play like the Cubs or the Phillies or the Padres or someone round one, best of three.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it happened.
Speaker 4: O Tawny stabilizes that team when he's pitching because since his last time on the mound, obviously with that knee injury, he's not been pitching for.
Speaker 2: The past few weeks.
Speaker 4: Tying runs on base eleven the Dodgers if they drop this game, I hope they don't, but they'd be eleven and fifteen since the last time Otani pitched.
Speaker 1: Yah, dude, I'd be a little worried.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: I know it's funny, right, Oh, you're only eight games up. Ooh, I get all that. I get what you're saying, but it's cliche. However, it's true. The bigger they are, the harder the fall. This team has such high expectations that if they get into a slide, man, they're gonna fall really hard. And then the pressure starts to mount. And I wouldn't want to be part of that. Like, expectations are through the roof. That's a lot of pressure to play under. So there's no guarantee. There's no guarantee. Especially the more they continue to play bad, the more's gonna.
Speaker 4: Be a bigger deal, especially when Kyle Tucker looks like Confardo out there in the outfield exactly.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I I think that's the pressure sucker, that type of pressure, those expectations, Yeah, is why Antony Bolpi got sent down to the miners. I think when expectations no, it's the truth. When expectations are so high, it's almost impossible to meet them, you know, Like, how do you outdo the past two Dodgers seasons?
Speaker 2: How are we gonna do that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know why there needs to be a lockout now next year because of DB's Brewers.
Speaker 2: They have the best record in baseball. They are they're solid, they are good. dB and the Brewers it's all their fault.
Speaker 1: How are you going to You're gonna celebrate by going down that slide and left field and one the slider's much better when he slid into a beer mug head Old County Stadium.
Speaker 2: Now it's just they all curly slide.
Speaker 1: Do you see the clip as years ago now of the reporter that did that and like got injured, Oh David, yeah, I was like, oh my goodness. But if you look at the Dodgers record year by year, their best statistical regular seasons, they came away with really nothing one hundred and six wins, one hundred and eleven wins and one hundred wins, that nothing to show for it. The last two years ninety eight wins and ninety three wins, and right now they are on pace for ninety eight wins. They're on pace to win close to one hundred games. And even if it's hard to play baseball, when there's pressure on you and you're playing tight, you know baseball, you have to play confident and loose. That's just how it's played. The tighter you grip the bat, the worse off you are. And I think the Dodgers, for as great as they are, have a lot of pressure on them to again win again. The team got better, but they're hurt. They're not winning the way they're supposed to. I'd be a little worried.
Speaker 4: I saw that last postseason for your Yankees. Yeah, I remember they were gripping the bat. Yeah, they were swimming too hard.
Speaker 1: That pressures. That pressure is real, So I wouldn't really I get it rich it's laughable, but if it continues a few more games, I would not downplay it. Hold on sixty nine and forty five they got, they got forty, they got forty eight games left.
Speaker 2: Looks like Alex call moved over to second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a wild So anyway, it's the eighth inning Dodgers Cubs and the tying runs on Sex. Then you put yourself in such a great position which you could credit your early success to any If the Dodgers go twenty four and twenty four, if they play five hundred baseball for the final, you know, forty eight games, they win ninety three games and that's going to get in the playoffs. And now you're not going to be that one or two seed likely, but dude, you're in it.
Speaker 2: Worry about the playoffs.
Speaker 1: But again, the world, I hate to say this, standing close your ears, no.
Speaker 2: Key k just struck out.
Speaker 1: The world has to root for the Dodgers to be a three seed. That's the best shot for someone to take down the almighty evil Empire the Dodgers, because.
Speaker 2: They're not the evil Empire. S if you they are so well, they're a likable they.
Speaker 4: Would be the evil Empire if they had like really punishable faces on it.
Speaker 1: They're not evil per se, but interesting that they are quite the Empire. But to root again, but think about it, Empire, they're just a likable team. I'll give you that. If you're brew Crew and the Braves keep winning it their pace and the Dodgers do acquire that three seed. I know we're you know, a month and a half, two months away, But if the Dodgers don't play on part with the Bruise and the Braves and the Bravos, all of a sudden, you got to play a team like Philadelphia or the Cubs in a best of three, and that's where the Dodgers could get caught.
Speaker 2: Yes, the start of the series, the more likely that is.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, that's why when the NBA had five game series, that was the only time, like a lower seed had a better chance. You get hot, you get lucky. But a best of three, Danny, that's tough, it is. But right now, sitting pretty yeah, you're fine. We'll see if he continues on pace to it almost one hundred games. But speaking of baseball, you know, Dodgers are playing right now. We'll see what happens. Dan Byer's got your updates Covino and Rich with Danny g the resident Dodgers fan, Sam Is on the Ones and twos. We mentioned it at the end of yesterday's show. It's not about the Yankees, it's not about Anthony Volpi, but I do want to give you the Backstorynthony Volpi had to replace Derek Jeter. So again it goes back to the pressure. Talk about pressure. Just like the Dodgers are going for the three people, but there were guys in between, the d d Gregorioases of the world.
Speaker 2: But essentially you're the.
Speaker 1: Next name that people. He's the next guy you know d d was great, but he wasn't Derek Jeter. They touted him to be one of the highest prospects since Derek Jeter, like he's the next guy. He was a local kid, grew up watching the Yankees. Everybody wanted this story. Good looking kids of talent. You watch every day.
Speaker 2: So I'm not.
Speaker 1: Catching you off guard here. What number was Volpi wearing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Actually, I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: Do you watch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be honest with you. Look it up yourself, but I'll tell you this, Okay, those things don't mean as much to me as they did when I was a kid. And he watches one hundred and sixty two games a year. He'll be at a five star restaurant and he'll have the Yankees game on his phone. But he doesn't realize that Anthony Volpi is number is because he only has mattingly jerseys number eleven. Number eleven, And I'm glad I looked it up because that Ben Rice is twenty two. But do you understand that giving him number eleven was an honor the same way they gave Derek Jeter number two. Because in the Yankees eye rolling history of well, the pinstripes and everyone from the the Imaginary Babe Ruth to Mickey Mantle to the Maggio. Those numbers are all retired. So if you get a lower single digit or like double digit number, it means they put stock in you. There's a weird time thing it used to be. I mean, Aaron Judge is number ninety. You're not giving some schlub. Well that was because that's kitchy, like he wanted ninety nine. I'm saying number lee number. They're not gonna go ten retire. Yeah, they're not gonna give number eleven to their utility infield.
Speaker 2: Well, it goes with the point.
Speaker 1: He was touted to be the next superstar, the next Derek Jeter, the next guy. We heard about Anthony Volpi for so long because he was a New Jersey kid, a local kid, grew up watching the Yankees. He was going to be the next be all end all for the Yankees and be the starting short shortstop for years to come, like the pillar of the Yankees. Moving forward, you're reading this run. He has one home run this year. I was just going to give you stats. He's only twenty five years old. Two forty one home run nineteen RBI, but again he was hurt for a lot of the beginning of the year. Still was his fourth season. Now he had a gold glove. His first year he had some shining moments. But since then it's been like disappointment after disappointment with this guy, and they've done nothing but defend him and give him chances. That's the thing, give him chances. They've given him so many chances, and they've defended him so hard. Aaron Boone was putting so many awkward positions, like he's elite, what do you want for me? He's elite, he's a great player. It's like yeah, but everybody could see he's struggling. So finally at trade deadline the day after him and Jason Dominguez get sent down to get option to the minor leagues, and he was a bona fide Major leaguer. It's fourth year in the league. Back to the miners, and they bring up the next Anthony Volpi, the next Derek Jeter, the next highly tauted guy that you've been hearing about for years, George Lombard Junior, which basically implies rich they're giving his job to him, Like all right, he earned it. He's now our starting shortstop and we're sending Vultan dad, Hey, what do we have to lose by giving this kid a look?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: So I don't expect you to care, but imagine you talk about it. No, no, no, about the Yankees. I mean, well, you can't expect someone not to care. It's about the story. I don't expect you to care about the Yankees. It's hey, we're sending you down and we're bringing up this new dude. If you're bringing up this new dude, he's got the job because the old dude got demoted. That's really it. So George Lombard Junior makes his debut last night, told you, hey, check it out.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Been here about this kid for years, and he was really putting the pressure on voultpy Balpi was here in the footsteps. Not only was he feeling the pressure of New York and the expectations and living in the jeter shadow of the world, he was here in the footsteps of this kid. George Lombard Jr. In his first game, in his first attempt at a play, he makes a ridiculous double play that Volpe would have never made. He hits a home run and his second at bat, tying the season totals of Anthony Volpe. They got one, okay, cool man, he puts on a show. So it was about seizing the moment. Like you can't complain if you're an Anthony Volpi in life, meaning if you really got an opportunity, you just blew the chance. You had your chance, You had your chance, and.
Speaker 2: You blew it. You blew It's like, are you really.
Speaker 1: Wally Pipped Billy who had the chance and you blew it? No, Wally Pip's a different a different example. Yeah, but I've heard Wally Pip a few times, Like, I want to make it clear. Volpi had a chance, he blew it. Now do we hope he, you know, works it out in the minors, Maybe he learns a second base or different position, comes back. You never root for any ballplayer to fail, but it happens. Sometimes you just never meet those expectations. I don't think it's what the Yankees. I think at some point the Yankees may be pirates or something. They'll they'll dish him somewhere for like a middle reliever or something aneed and maybe Nentony Volpi has an opportunity to go somewhere else and become who you thought he might have been. But you really gotta seize the moment. It's as cliche as it gets. And this kid had so many chances. So you feel bad anytime a superstar with all his potential fails, but you also have to be realistic and say, yeah, well you know, they had a pretty fair chance to deliver. And I feel really bad about this. But where there's crisis, there's opportunity. Right where there's failure, there's room for someone else to succeed. And that someone else is George Lombard Junior. And in his very second at bat, his second major league at bat, is what happens?
Speaker 2: Freaking ball swung on in a high fly ball.
Speaker 6: Well, they fail, going back, going back, done home run for George from Burntnor And if parents are going nuts, it sounds everybody in the ballpark two nuping Yankees.
Speaker 1: And again his kid looking the part, looking composed.
Speaker 2: I needed that Lombard support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a Miami kid who made his debut in the bigs yesterday and is coincidentally his younger brother also made his pro debut in the miners and hit a home run too, So the parents watching the one home run of their minor league soun on their phone, they look up and their big league kid hits a home run.
Speaker 2: That was cool.
Speaker 1: And it just goes to show you, I mean little sidetrack from the conversation we're having, because I do want to talk about seizing the moment, but I don't know if there's anything cooler in the world of sports. Well that's kind of what I wanted to actually get to. Is there anything cooler in the world of sports? And seeing parents in the stands at any sport watching their kid get that chance, Baseball just seems to be the one you see the most just because of you know, I guess you would say the dynamic of like, you know, baseball's casual. You see the parents sitting there in the stands at a stadium. You don't get those glimpses be in college football when you see like the mom or dad, like Mendoza's family. But for the most part, I feel like baseball is the sport where you do get that beautiful glimpse. And a lot of times the sideline sideline, I guess the field reporter a lot of times we'll be interviewing those parents and a lot of times something happens in the middle of that and that makes it even cooler. Yeah, I mean, I have so many thoughts about this, but again, both of their kids went yard yesterday in their debuts. I think in the NFL you get these moments most when a kid's drafted and then you see the parents show the love. But in baseball, for me, since the draft doesn't really a big deal in baseball compared to the NFL and NBA, in baseball, it's usually like he's making his debut today and there's his mom and dad sitting by the first baseline.
Speaker 7: I like it when they're on the road and the player does something well and then the home fans are cheering for the road kid because they're sitting by mom and dad. It's a close So like if it was a Mets player and they're facing the Nationals, the Nationals fans are still giving them high fivescause because the parents are sitting behind him.
Speaker 2: Of course, Yeah, that's that is a great moment.
Speaker 1: And you know, when you think about it, is the reason why baseball is more special Covino, because in the NBA or NFL, when does that moment happen Draft night?
Speaker 2: Usually?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he made his debut yesterday and came through again, matching the totals the season totals in one game of an Anthony Volpi. And I'm reading the feedback and one guy's a total moron. So I'm not even going to address that. Vince Garcia says, the amount of pressure that Anthony Volpi was under in New York is just tremendous due to the expectations. He's trade bait at this point. You know, that's his story in itself. You don't have to be a Yankees fan to think of that person where the expectations were through the roof and they just couldn't meet him, and they just never mounted to what you thought they'd be. Well, and it's a sad story. So I'm waiting for the kid trade bait with his stats. I'll give you only twenty five. I'll give you some double bubble on some sunflower seats. I mean, at this rate, you have to imagine that they wanted to dish him somewhere during the deadline, and nobody wanted so he got optioned. So speaking of Yankees lore, though I do want to mention these things, and speaking of numbers, Rich George Lombard Junior comes out and he's wearing number ninety six, and that's what they gave him, number ninety six when Jeter won Rookie of the Year. That's when they won the World Series. He hit his first home run in the same place that Derek Jeter hit his three thousand hit as a home run, and his parents were a mixed couple, very reminiscent of Doctor Jeter was one I'm.
Speaker 2: Not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: When I saw his parents and he's got a black dad and a white mom, I was like, very much like someone else. He really was shortstop of the captain of the Yankees. But the kid had a magical night. And you think about it, it's it's such a weird juxtaposition because you got Anthony Volpi, who's, you know, probably at the lowest point possible. So you gotta feel bad for any young guy that just doesn't make it even though his career is not written. And then on the flip side, Anthinny Molpie was not pubped watching that. Yeah, And how do you think the teammates feel like they I love this kid Volpey, but now they got a cheer for the new kid too. There's so many feelings going on this time of year. You even said, one of your buddies who plays professional sports, the trade deadline and these moves that are made, they are so impactful on your life and on your mentals and everything. Your mentals and your fundamentals, no doubt. So what I'm getting at is this kid made his debut and he sees the moment. Anthony Volpi could not for whatever reason, but when this happened yesterday, you couldn't help but enjoy the moment. Like you said, rich with the parents, I think there is there anything cooler in sports. When you see the family embracing this and realizing that they're the people who drove them to practice their whole lives. I can only I can only imagine the same taught him the game and everything else. A lot of times at draft night when you see the moms and there's usually like a hot sister or girlfriend there and people get weird, who's the But it's usually that's the moment in basketball or football where you're like, man, it all came together. They watch their kid and here he is drafted.
Speaker 2: Because in the NBA or.
Speaker 1: NFL, if you're a high round draft pick, you're gonna play in the league the next year.
Speaker 2: Likely in Major League Baseball, you get drafted.
Speaker 1: You just become part of the system, and that means really nothing, right, So when a kid makes his major league debut, that's the intro to the big show. So to me, I watched that mom and dad in the crowd was awesome in the most selfish way.
Speaker 2: And I think we all feel this way.
Speaker 1: If you got kids, you know how much effort and how much heart you put into coaching your kids, sitting in the stands watching your kids play baseball, soccer, flag football, And to know that those parents, those feelings must be overwhelming. Dude, from the time that kid was five years old hitting a ball off a tee and running to third base by mistake to now you know that that mom's probably like I've been to every high school game, every summer travel ball like that.
Speaker 2: It's it's probably like heart ranching.
Speaker 1: And you know, another weird moment, when George Lombard Junior hit his home run. It is insane that Zach Hampbell. Do you guys know who Zach Hampbell is, The kid that made a living out of catching foul balls that's called like thousands of foul balls. He had a glove on it. Almost he almost got it.
Speaker 2: It was off his glove.
Speaker 1: Like the knack that this kid has for being in the right place at the right time, and he gets such flak for that, by the way, is insane. But anyway, it's just the highs of highs and the lows of lows. And that's what makes sports interesting because you feel bad for one guy, but you gotta love the opportunity that the other guy gets as a result. And that's what we saw last night. To be a Yankees fan is my point to understand what I'm talking about or to appreciate those moments. And when you see the family getting behind the kid and everyone's happy for Lombard Junior, that's what that's what it's all about. And he plays again tonight and I can't wait. Oh he plays again every night. Yeah, Anthony Volpe's like, does he have to? Well, Anthony Vope's ever gonna play again, honestly, because I think this is his job.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The Anthony Vopia sort stuff era is over. He's gonna have to learn second base or just move a or they trade him. I mean, there are guys that, if you know Danny g your team gave new life to a guy that my team gave up on, Like Justin Turner was such a big part of your squad for years, a fan favorite. The Mets had him as a utility guy that they never truly gave a shot to. And you know what, maybe it made me think of where I think Kevino and I want to roll next, which is like seizing the moment. Like what athletes do you think of when it comes to seizing that chance? Because so many times I think my favorite are second and third chances. To me, I think one of your favorite quarterbacks, a guy you're watching on quarterback. When Baker Mayfield got that chance to start for the Rams that one game, what did that do? It reminded us that well too, He's a ball of two things can happen.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: I don't want to quote your pound, but Rich's friends with a major leaguer. I mean quote him if you want to, Buddy, he said, Jeff Soupon, say what he said? Jeff Soupon saying, like the trade deadline, in these moments, like you you could be in such a rhythm with you know, family teammates, National League versus americanly, you could feel comfortable more if you're in a good rhythm.
Speaker 2: It could throw off your rhythm and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be off rhythm and then get traded all of a sudden you found your group again. I say. Even posted on on social media he said he was having a one of his best first halfs ever with the Pirates, got traded to the Red Sox of the deadline and just never really found his second half of the season groove because he went to the al new team sort of different role.
Speaker 2: But the flip could also happen.
Speaker 1: And you know that's what's interesting about this time of years, Like you're gonna see what players step up, which ones can't make the adjustment. How does the chemistry Danny g back to your Dodgers, Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Mean like.
Speaker 1: Cra is going to be in the eights? Yeah yeah, but hey, who knows. Maybe some of the minor rules they made changed to chemistry a little bit, but you never know.
Speaker 4: Remember when Blake Snell joined the Dodgers, his first comment was, Man, the chemistry of this team is crazy. It's the best chemistry, the best camaraderie I've ever been around in place.
Speaker 1: And you can I tell you, some guys could come on a team and be a lightning bolt and you could even feel it from day one. We talked about DB's Brewers yesterday that year when C. C. Sabbathia carried them to the playoffs and he seemed like the most unhittable guy ever.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, did you guys see a rise he got? He got a ribby, he turned first base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was fired. I watched the nl Way more than the alb and a Mets fan, I seen that guy play a.
Speaker 2: Lot and Harper.
Speaker 1: He forced Brice Harper to get back into the outfield, and Harper had.
Speaker 2: A good game too. I've never seen a rise show that emotion. He turned to the dugout. His teammates were fired up, Like dude, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna see how people adjust on new teams, and how these teams adjust and how the chemistry either increases or decreases, and that's what makes it fine.
Speaker 2: I think TV has a quick update on the Chicago.
Speaker 1: Start thinking about seizing the moment. Seizing the moment like those second chances are just rising to the occasion. But an update from dB.
Speaker 7: Final sc are from Chicago's North side. Cubs seven, Dodgers six.
Speaker 2: Lost six in a row.
Speaker 1: The sky is falling, and we're going to Danny g for a quote.
Speaker 4: Cubs go, I liked it better when the Cubbies were lovable losers who never won.
Speaker 1: All right, Cubs going win today, Gold, Cubs go.
Speaker 2: All right, we get it. Danny's thinking, I really love I love l a more.
Speaker 1: You know what it's like though, And this is why I feel like emotional about these stories. It's like if you've ever gone through a breakup or a heartbreak or anything like that, right, you're going through misery. But guess what that next dude, he's on cloud nine. He's like the happiest dude. Yeah, and that's usually how and that's what happens. You know, you lose a job. Guess what, some other dude is so happy to get that job. Exactly what happened with Walby and Arbar Junior everything. Yeah, So you're your happiness sometimes or your unhappiness sometimes is leading to someone else's happiness. Well, we got more kivin one Rich and your calls and feedback next at eight, seven, seven, nine to nine on Fox. I just want to tell you what's coming up, please, right now, we're talking about against season the moment. No matter how you slice it or dice it, Anthony Vaulpi had his opportunities. And that's how you got to look at life like did you have a chance? Did you really? Did you get a fair chance? And they've abably got a fair chance and he got sent down. Someone else gets an opportunity, and George Lombard Junior in one game seems to be seasoned the moment. I think of this what it comes to like, even if you had a chance, you did something big, even if you didn't keep it, it might have led to something else like that. That's ever women, that's with sports, that's with your career or whatever it may be. Even so like, uh, Matt Flynn remember much like that Baker game on the Rams. Remember Matt Flynn played that one game for the Packers, like guy musted through for a thousand yards. It felt like he had the most miraculous and dB, your Seahawks give him a big deal that everyone's like really and then Russell Wilson ends up beating him out. But guess who gets to collect a lot of that money.
Speaker 2: Matt Flynn. Matt Flynn.
Speaker 1: So sometimes just take if you get a chance, go with it. Speaking of you know, Baker Mayfield and his quick run with you said that already, and I said Baker is the best example, because a great example. I also think of Jacob de Grom multiple Cy Young Award winner, who we thought might be moved at the deadline, but it decides to stay with the Rangers. They're in that Ao West race right now. But the gram was a spot starter. You can say golf. You know, even though he was always he was supposed to be the guy he's the more drift, but he stepped up with the Lions. I feel like we resurrected as his Oh yeah, he never career little bit, all right. I guess he didn't like that answer. Sorry, he was a number one draft pick. I was a starter himself in Detroit. I like how Detroit embrace them. Yeah, okay, but I'm talking about guys that like we're dis like like a guy like Gardner Minshew, who is nothing, but because he came in with his attitude, vibe and hair and mustache, like all of a sudden, he goes from like guys, this guy Gardner Minshew is doing a spot start quarterback because he had such a cool flare to him. All of a sudden he becomes your quintessential backup, like he's taking up the motorbacks. We're gonna talk Justin Herbert in a few minutes, and this has to do with PDA. How do you feel about it? Plus Mike's I keep wanting to say Mike's words of wisdom. Guys run out of those putting the dumb in wisdom. Uh, it's Mike who runs this take. He has a take about relationships. Plus Midweek Major, we might talk Steph Curry and Moore, But first and first, mostly you want to go to the man with the plan. His name is Dan dan Byer.
Speaker 2: Update.
Speaker 7: Let's go from PCA or from PDA to PCA today at Wrigley he is taking that pitch now over and.
Speaker 6: Over, deep drive to right, going back as Tucker get out to check mesro Longo.
Speaker 2: Dick Crow Armstrong a two run homer. Clubs laid five one. It was the second of the game in twenty six of the season.
Speaker 7: Cubs actually had a seven to one lead before the Dodgers rallied all the way back to get within one. However, the Cubs survived seven to six on the Cubs Radio Network. Dodgers have lost six straight. In the losing efforts. Shoe Hey Otani Homer twice for LA number twenty five and twenty six as well. On the season, Blue Jays beat the Astros and Extras five to four, while the Rangers blanked the Giants six nothing. Raised on top of the Rockies for nothing as they play in the top of the ninth inning in Denver. Some news on the Rams and Aaron Donald. Donald listed on the tryout list of the NFL today for the Rams. Adam Schefter of ESPN giving some clarity, we know Donald's been working out. Donald's been working out with the Rams. He wanted to do a workout with a helmet on that requires the Rams to list him as a tryout. He wanted to see how he would respond. But it does seem like things are getting closer and closer for Aaron Donald to make a return.
Speaker 2: So weird.
Speaker 1: Was it like yesterday and they say you wanted to pursue like a media like a career in media, and now he's practicing.
Speaker 7: I've just heard Sean McVay kind of tew the company line, maybe dance around a little bit of where he was working out, but because he was putting on a RAMS helmet today, they had to characterize that as a tryout. That It makes sense, wasn't it like a month ago? His wife said, this is news to me. Yeah, right, And here we are later, thirty five years old, with the It's just funny how it looked on the transaction list because Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh tryout Rams, not three time Defensive Player of the Year, eight time First Team All Pro or Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Stefan Diggs has found a new home Washington Commanders, signing him to a one year deal worth twelve million dollars. It's his fourth team in as many seasons. Falcon j Edge rusher Jalen Walker is gonna miss all of this season because of a torn acl suffering camp yesterday. Chiefs have dropped the sponsorship name on their stadium. It will no longer be called Geha Field at Arrowhead Stadium. They're just calling it Arrowhead Stadium. Can They will continue to be a partner though with the sponsor Broncos, said coach Sean Payton said wide receiver Jalen Waddle should be okay after dealing with muscle tightness in practice.
Speaker 2: Today and two other notes.
Speaker 7: One in horse racing, Preakness Stakes is going to move a week later than the Kentucky Derby and actually be run on a Sunday. Livgolf says they have struck a deal with a lead investor that will keep the tour alive after twenty twenty six. In a statement, the tour said the players on Live will become the majority stakeholders of the tour. A deal could be finalized in September. Guys, back to you, thank you, dB.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting? Danny your dude, Shoho Tani and PCA who Dan Bayer let us know hit two hole runs today. Their stats are as they said in one of my favorite movies, My cousin Vinny identical, almost identical. I mean they're both batting in between two eighty five and two ninety ish. Both have twenty four home runs and sixty five RBI versus sixty.
Speaker 2: Seven today, so they're up to both up to twenty six. Oh we get out so okay.
Speaker 1: So so when you look at those numbers, they are your top contenders for the MVP according to Las Vegas. But when you look at the league leaders, there's guys with plenty more home runs, guys with better batting averages, guys with more RBI to show hey being a pitcher, Will that cement him the MVP every year? Because if guys have similar stats to Atani, won't won't the deciding factor every single.
Speaker 2: Year be the pitches?
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 1: The average player, if he ends the season batting thirty five runs, an extraordinary season, two out.
Speaker 2: Do o time. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I feel like if anyone, whether it's PCA or Matt Olson's got some great stats Schreber, you know, as you know a lot of home.
Speaker 4: Runs, imagine doing all that and then you have an eight and two record on the mound with a one point five.
Speaker 1: R exactly, it's hard to arny that you're more valuable. I'm not going to argue. I'm just saying I feel as though, unless Otani has such a down year, if he is in the conversation, yeah, no, you're not wrong. It's his because even if even if a Matt Olsen or a Schoreber or a PCA or someone had bet at two eighty forty something home runs one hundreds of other Ribbies, if Otani was even close to that. Oh, and he pitches, he will win every MVP while he plays baseball.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. No one's debating that you can't be like but Schwebber's a great clubhouse gug like.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, and you definitely can't give it to a DH.
Speaker 1: You can't get right, You can't get definitely DH when this guy's doing exactly So it's just man Otani, My goodness, Thank you dB, thank you fellas uh your feedback and calls. If you want to talk about seizing the moment, if you want to throw any others in there. To me, it's a lot of times it's quarterbacks or pictures that might get a spot start and it's like, Yo, this guy's way better than we thought, and now all of a sudden, he's a permanent part of the rotation, right, seizing that moment. But you want to talk love birds, talk lovebirds. I think the world needs love. Yeah, it loves in the air man. So yeah, PC eight to PDA. We're gonna talk some PDA for now.
Speaker 2: Just think about it.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on public displays of affection? We'll get to it next. Hang tight, Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand.
Speaker 1: New YouTube channel for the show. That's right, You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 9: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR.
Speaker 1: Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: Cabino and Rich Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: We got Danny g we got Sam, we got Dan Meyer, we got midweek major coming up, and of course Mike who runs his take, So stick around for that. That's next hour. But it's all about seizing the moment, the day, the year, the month, the rest of the week. Just keep season stuff all right, and you know, take it out of sports and out of life. You get those opportunities, you got to capitalize. We saw George Lombard Junior do that with his opportunity at short stuff for the Yankees yesterday his debut. His parents were cheering. Everybody's I think two of our big takeaways from hour one where you putting out that for everyone, that's having their great moment, there is someone that's like really bummed about it because that was their lost opportunity. Like, yes, someone bumpy sitting somewhere in minor league baseball being like, maybe I'll get called back up. Meanwhile, on day one, his replacement looks lights out making diving catches. Yea, he was doing everything that Volpi just yeah, I didn't seem he was able to do, at least at that moment. But in TV or entertainment, it makes me think of those Steve Rkle moments. Right, he gets his opportunity to be the goofy neighbor and what does he do? He slays it And who did it before Erkele? Arthur Fonzarelli, our recent guest on Over promised Henry Winkler, like, these are guys that were supposed to be ancillary people, right, but they got their moment and owned it to the point where they couldn't be They stole the show. Yeah, they stole the show. They stole the scene, they couldn't be avoid and essentially stealing the show. Stealing the scene translates to sports, and another example would be one of my favorite shows back in the two thousands, how I met your mother. Neil Patrick Harris Barney Stinson was supposed to be an ancillary character and it ends up sees the moment steals the show. And the other point was in baseball, there's something very special about the debut because in football and basketball, it's always about the draft. Right, you get drafted early, you're making millions. That's when you hug and kiss the family. Baseball, you could be a first round pick and never see the field. So when you have that major league baseball debut and mom and dad are in the stands, something so magical about that that you don't even need to like the team and you can get a little emotional. Well before we go to the calls, question for you, Rich.
Speaker 2: Got any cheese?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 6: Did I do that?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: Real quick? Real quick? Who we got? All right? Let's go to Austin and San Diego?
Speaker 1: Can you budge and wait for it?
Speaker 2: Darry? What's up? Hey? Rich? To me by you guys are amazing.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you taking the call. Thanks man.
Speaker 10: My season. The moment, I would say, justin Herbert when he got thrown in about ten minutes before kickoff, because I think the quarterback got a needle that was long and collapsed.
Speaker 1: I think it was Tyrod Taylor.
Speaker 11: I don't remember exactly who.
Speaker 1: What's funny?
Speaker 2: Bring Taylor? Funny?
Speaker 1: You bring up Justin Herbert because we're going to talk about him next, Yeah, next when we talk about love birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our boy James and Virginia wants to weigh in. Hey James, Oh, thank.
Speaker 10: You for taking my call. Gentlemen, Happy Wednesday.
Speaker 2: How you feeling about? How do you feeling about?
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 2: Commanders? Are we look at ten and seven, seven and ten somewhere in between? What do you what are you thinking?
Speaker 10: If Jadon Daniels stays healthy, I think they can win the division. Man, this guy delivers the ball from the pocket. He should run and he makes plays outside of the pocket, but he wins inside of the pocket. Man, he delivers strut.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you that That's what I love about David, your commander's team. Is that one of those teams Danny g we need to take the next level dive on because I think I think they're one of the more confusing teams. Because two years ago, you like you know, they're in the NFC Championship game. They take a big step back last year. I don't know where they sit this year.
Speaker 4: Rich, once you start watching Quarterback on Netflix, also, we'll see what happened with Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 1: People start smart.
Speaker 2: So what's your what's your thoughts? Man? What's going on?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 10: So for me, man, okay, so I'm gonna just throw Timmy Smith watching the Redskins running back gets to start in the Super Bowl, Rusted for two hundred four yards.
Speaker 2: Huge play.
Speaker 10: But the two that I was calling in about that trump's all others that for at least for football.
Speaker 2: Kurt Warner with.
Speaker 10: The Rams in ninety nine, I mean, sting into a Hall of Fame career. And then of course let's sing go t B twelve man, I think the.
Speaker 6: A one one one.
Speaker 1: I mean Tom Brady sees the moment of all moments, became the go. He ended up seizing life after that. And Kurt Warner had a movie name you know about him. I mean, those are two great examples. More examples at Covino and Rich will talk justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: Next c and R.
Speaker 1: Big Mike and I were just saying, Ted Lasso my favorite fictional athlete other than wild Thing Rick Vaughan. You just like Ted Lasso because you look like him with a mustache. Shut your mouth. I think it's getting good reviews.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you. If you don't like Ted Lasso, I question your heart.
Speaker 1: Oh fighting word, I really do.
Speaker 2: It's getting better reviews than your Will Ferrell show.
Speaker 1: Well, I admit that the only thing cool about The Hawk, which I loved was the dope ass theme.
Speaker 2: Song The.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I apologize for bringing that show. Ready to go.
Speaker 1: Danny g is on the phone today seven seven ninety nine on Fox. I was Sam this hour with Midweek Major. We're gonna go over the biggest stories in sports and pop culture and decide together are these stories Midweek or Major? We do that every midweek every Wednesday. Dan Byer's here with your updates. But before we get into Mike who runs his take? You know cold Stone?
Speaker 2: Mike? Who's you? Mike?
Speaker 1: You can see him. You actually could watch the show right now streaming live at Covino and RETREFSR.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I had ice cream twice last week. We had our big uh, our nice little treat for our friends, a dairy Queen good. And then I took my daughter to Coldstone Creamery and I thought of Mike.
Speaker 2: Coldstone.
Speaker 1: Mike, Oh, you gotta get the cake batter one with the with the brownie. Well, before we get into Mike the Birthday Cake remix. I think it's called Oh. I just want to you know, I do want to get some Mike's idea or Mike's take on this too, before we get into it. I just want to let you know what else is coming up later on in the show. And we promised we talk about Justin Herbert. Here's the deal. They're at training camp and Justin Herbert's there and I know what he's doing and having a picnic, doing stretches. He's on the floor smoochy. I'm just seeing pictures here. I haven't seen actual footage of this, but I'm seeing pictures of Justin Herbert and his new fiance again. Beautiful girl. I get it, And you break all the rules for beautiful women.
Speaker 2: We all do.
Speaker 1: We're suckers. But Madison Beer is there and she's on the field. I don't know if they're like, if he's serenading her, if he's playing guitar, if they're having a picnic drinking champagne, if she's helping him stretch. I can't tell what's happening. But she's on the field with the guy, and it looks like they're what are they called little nome kisses. Looks like they're a little snuggling up.
Speaker 2: There a problem with that?
Speaker 1: You know they're Yeah, but I don't know if that's politically correct. I don't know if you say, I don't think you can Inuit dancing? Who's offended?
Speaker 2: Kissed that? We don't kiss like that. I don't want to, they don't want to be Is that a true thing? Are you serious? Are you trolling me?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 1: Racist?
Speaker 2: The correct term is you can't say eskimo. You cannot eskimo is on the list of possibly offensive terms. It looks like if you and your buddy but the same girl, you're no longer brothers.
Speaker 1: Who knows the.
Speaker 2: We don't know the rules.
Speaker 1: We're just trying to be respectful, right, Things change and change as I'll tell you what I learned that it's a when my kids entered pre k t K. Now how you sit these days? Chris Cross apple sauce? Yeah, no more Indian style? Right? Did you see that clip of Keith Hernandez, one of my favorites. They talked about the Boston Braves on the Mets telecast last night. And Keith that's raving about how much he loved that logo. And it's like the very basist looking logo, right, and the guy grounds into a double play and Gary Cohen goes, thank God, that saved.
Speaker 2: Us from an awkward moment.
Speaker 1: Braves right, I'd say race depending on who you asked, right, some people may be proud of it.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll try to pull that clip later. So funny though.
Speaker 1: Now I'm looking at the picture here, there's a picture again of Madison Beer and Justin Herbert at Chargers training camp. Looks like she's fixing his hair like he wears that thing in his hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're both running their hands through each other.
Speaker 1: Use of the word canoodling. Toodling at training camp on the field. Now, dude, new love is great. Young love is great. I'm not hating on their love. What I'm saying is there's a time and place for renegades, and there's a time and place for canoodling. And I'm not sure training camp, even though she's Madison Beer, is that place I have a girlfriend? Has she ever been here when we're on the air fixing my hair? Think about it? Think about that? Because rich is all about it to your hair. That is true, not even my girlfriend. How do you feel about PDA?
Speaker 2: Even worse PDA at the workplace? Ice?
Speaker 1: That's how I look at it, all right, let's let's put that on. Think about it, let it simmer. Look up the picture we're talking about. I'm gonna think about it, and you know what I'm also gonna look up for later that Keith and anders Cliff.
Speaker 2: I think you guys will find it very well. Let's go to Mike. It's time for his take.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Microphone Assassin.
Speaker 2: It's time for Mike who runs this take?
Speaker 14: Who?
Speaker 7: Big Mike may get to be in charge of the segment, but he still doesn't run this place. He really doesn't even run this segment when you think about it, because this Mike can be turned off by Sam at any moment.
Speaker 5: It may be true, but Big Mike does get to pick the topic and then CNR offer their strong opinions on it. Consider it a warm up to Midweek Mature Mike, who runs this take?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Mike Coldstone? Mike, what's up?
Speaker 2: Mike? Hello, gentlemen, how are you good to see you? What's up? Man?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: Orry for my strong opinion?
Speaker 2: What'd you take man. Yeah, all right, you're here to get it a little warm and get some warm up in. Yeah. So today we are talking about relationship and or dating advice not always the same. They can be the same with dating and being in a relationship can be two different things. So I pulled a clip that I would like to play for you, a famous piece of dating advice. What's the door?
Speaker 13: All right?
Speaker 2: Listen to me.
Speaker 13: You'll pull up right where she is right, So you get out of the car. You lock both doors. Then you get out of the car. You walk over the hub and bring her over to the car. You take out the key, put in the lock, open the door for hug. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door phill. Then you walk around the back of the car. You look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over, lift up that button for you so you can get in.
Speaker 2: Pump, just like that.
Speaker 13: Listen to me, kid, if she doesn't reach over, lift up that button for you so you can get in. That means she's a selfish broad and all you've seen is the tip of the iceberg. You dump, but you dump a fast.
Speaker 1: That's the dumper fast from a broxtail classic. I'm a fan of the Mario test though. Remember the Mario Test. The Mario Test, Yeah, that was from the s from the movie Your Uncle. There was another story from the film called the Mario Test. The Mario Test is how Mary went through all that effort to find the princess and the castle, and you trid moron. It involves driving up next to a truck and if she continues, ah Mario. But yeah, the door test is a classic movie example of great love advice for sure. And by the way, I watched that movie with my daughter recently. Still holds up. It's it's sure better.
Speaker 2: It's a period piece, so a lot of period pieces will hold up bronxtail.
Speaker 1: So Mike, pose the question for the millions that could possibly be listening right now.
Speaker 2: I want to hear your best advice. What like we have here on this show. We've got you know, Dan Buyer's are happily married, rich, happily married. I'm happily married, and we also have people who I'm happily divorced. It's all good.
Speaker 1: We have happily divorced, we have happily single. He's the ambassador of the divorce. That's called that's right.
Speaker 2: It's We've got representation from all aspects of where you might be in a romantic relationship, from looking for a romantic relationship to having been in one or being in a long term one. I want to hear from you, guys, what is your best advice?
Speaker 1: What is the one thing that maybe where Tim Grandpappy told you, or somebody told you, or what do you got to tell somebody else?
Speaker 2: And then I will share with you the definitive advice that everybody needs to hear when embarking upon a long term or lift.
Speaker 1: You know you made me think of while people think of their you know, their wisdom and their advice they want to give and share. Please call eight seven to seven ninety nine on Fox.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Maybe the coolest one will give you a summer prize pack or something, right Danergy eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox, Call us now.
Speaker 2: I got got a box of the grill and aprons right here my feet. Nice.
Speaker 1: You know he made me think of because he played a bronxtail I was one time. I was out one time with an ex girlfriend. I gotta clean this up for the radio, haha. And you know we were from Jersey. I'm from Jersey. It was in the Hoboken area, I think, and I'm out there with my young girlfriend. We were all young at the time, you know, in our twenties or whatever. But she was like a big time looker, like I look like a young little boy, and I was like with a really pretty girl. Right, why do you brag about it? Oh, this is the true story. I'm telling you why this happened. So I'm sitting there and uh, these fat Italian guys rest in peace, big pussy pastor like guys like that Bubby Bucalau, Right, They're looking. They're like, look at his guy, look at his schlobe with this girl over here. That's basically what they're thinking.
Speaker 2: Hey, look at his guy.
Speaker 1: What is he the wait?
Speaker 2: Does something was he doing?
Speaker 14: Huh?
Speaker 1: Trip be tald if thought that about you, most girls you've been with. So they o, hey you, and I go me.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, get over.
Speaker 1: Here, and I'm like a young guy. I'm not going to say no. They pull me into the table because everyone thinks they're gangster sopranos guys New Jersey.
Speaker 15: Changes me by the cheek and he goes, hey, sit down, and he pinches this fat Italian guy pinches my cheek like something out of a mob movie for real, and he's like, hey, is that you go over there?
Speaker 9: I like, yeah, it is like.
Speaker 1: You would have go like that. Yeah, And he goes, you know how you keep it? How are you gonna clean this up?
Speaker 2: Story?
Speaker 1: He pitches my cheek real hard, and then he takes his meat hooks and puts them behind my neck and pulls me in real close, and he says something about you gotta learn how to bleezer in the bedroom something.
Speaker 2: Like that, something like that, you gotta learn how to seem to say we ended.
Speaker 1: Up breaking up, but true story. And he said something very specific, but I'll never forget it.
Speaker 2: And I was like, man, gross special, more information than I needed from a random Oh dude, I'll never forget it. Had a good night fell asip. Okay, I will take that to it didn't work. Maybe you just weren't doing it.
Speaker 1: I never came through.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just weren't doing it right.
Speaker 1: But your your best truth And all these are relations Mike, I'm specializing in relationship advice. Okay, I got five of them. Oh gee, this is a relationship expert. You don't get ahead it says it on his business car. You know, I probably as usual hijacking my segment, Mike, I know significantly more about dating than sports. I'm very well capable doing like a relationship show.
Speaker 2: This is your podcast.
Speaker 1: Then again, you haven't been single on a long ass time. Don't you know how to keep relationship?
Speaker 2: Do you pick your one or two best ones? I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know the world of app dating and all that now. But nothing dynamics between men and women and gay couples and anything. It's still the same, like nothing changes, just different paths. Right, These are quickies, Mike, so I can give you all five.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think early on in a relation ship you need to go to a comedy club with someone. You need to see what she laughs at, because if she doesn't laugh at sophomore jokes or any type of naughty jokes, you might be If the comedian tells a naughty joke and she's like, eh, maybe she's not for you, and you might immediately be like, then we're not Like if those type of jokes make her go oh, then not for me?
Speaker 2: Well what if what if they make you go too? Not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are on the stand not for Rich, but maybe for somebody else. Right, Rule number two. Things that make you go, things that make you go. You got to that football, than things that make you go. You gotta take a girl.
Speaker 2: Cleaning everything up. Never do that again. I think we should that.
Speaker 1: Actually, you know how many people listening right now just pulled over and vomited. I just dumped out a lot of content you tell me to I'm gonna dum whether you're joking or not, vomits all over this place. I think you have to take a girl to Teppanyaki hibachi, and when the hibachi chef goes around and he tries to see if someone wants to catch the little cut up piece of vegetable or the shrimp, if a girl's like no, I look at that as like you're not fun enough to be with me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: It's it's an indicator of like she's not fun. You're on a date, and Rich wants to know if she likes zucchini or not. That's what it is.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 2: I really just want to know are you are you fun?
Speaker 1: If a girl, if anyone at the hibachi tables like if you don't like shrimp riches not dating, but it's never shrimp, it's you know, it's always I know what you're getting at, Like, do they are they going to be played for? Are they gonna be fun? Are they gonna be willing to again match rich? Rich is the type of guy on vacation when they say do we have any volunteers?
Speaker 2: Rich is the guy? So you know, so motor skills.
Speaker 1: It's a matter of what's a priority to you. But these are good tests. I need, I think before you take make someone very seriously, you need to see all her friends, because I made the mistake once of dating a good looking girl and then seeing like she was a good looking girl amongst a posse of like models, and I would have chosen differently, all her friends first, very always see her friends first. You might want to preface that if you were twenty something when you thought this, Hell, I mean I was twenty something. I mean, what are we doing next? One, I'd say that's fair, because you don't want to be sure you're not in love with one of her friends exactly. Yeah, Okay, don't make that decision until you know you see all her friends first.
Speaker 2: This is this is riches. These are riches. I just want to make sure, everybody, this is all rich.
Speaker 1: I once told someone told me this once and it stuck with me. You know, people love to be like you know, imeragine, relationships are really hard. I don't think they should be. I've been in hard relationships. If you're with someone that you clicked the right way, of course you're going to have your little battles and struggles. But I don't think marriage should be hard. I think marriage should be two people that are teammates, that are really really working towards a goal, and most of the time you get along. If you if you look at like your data deck, marriage is tough, why would you want to be in that? I don't think marriage should be hard. I think marriag should be.
Speaker 2: If I may, yes, life is hard enough, your marriage should not contribute to that. It should help the hardships that you're going through and should be able to support each other when things get different, you support each other. But the idea of like marriage is hard, like I don't I already have a job. I don't you know, I already have other responsibilities. My marriage should be something that brings me joy, and my wife brings me joy. Okay, So I don't think the whole marriage is hard to deal with it.
Speaker 1: Last one, Mike Rich has lots of right, I only wrote one down rich Rich says he has a thing on his wall, says bring me joy and bring me coffee. Woman prepared to lack of Cavino questions, have one of your hot friends do it? Covino questioned whether he's like, I don't know if you prep enough? And now I prep and know what does he do?
Speaker 2: He yells at me.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything. Max said, you're taking over his take. Happy wife, happy life is a terrible phrase.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: It's just rhymes.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. It's there's another one that.
Speaker 1: Happy spouse, happy house. You need to make each other happy and make yourself happy. Sure, because the happy man that's the plan. See that yourselfish the other way. But I'm saying I hate that. I hate that when some some old guy inevitably stands up at a wedding could.
Speaker 2: Have the microphone Uncle link everyone in here. I just want to give advice to the newly reads. Dylan, you don't what they say, happy wife, happy life, no lame. I worry about her happiness, but you got to worry about yours.
Speaker 1: Rich has a sign in his kitchen and says happy dude, make.
Speaker 2: Me food Woman. Woman. All of a sudden, Rich has that sign happen. Sound I have a sign that says live life, love woman. I'm done. I want to hear from single boy Sam. You're anything. Sam.
Speaker 8: I'd say I'm not a single, first of all, but I would just say, yeah, I mean you're not married.
Speaker 2: I'm not married, but that's also not single.
Speaker 1: Yeah, technically you're you're you know, legally legally legally single.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 8: I would just for me personally, like if I have to alter my behavior around someone, then they're not right for me. Like if if I just want to be myself crazy once, if I feel like I'm I'm having to entertain somebody or just worry about what they're thinking and stuff like natural moments should just come to you both and if you're both enjoying, you know, moments as they come.
Speaker 2: In line with the advice I'm going to give you.
Speaker 1: And a few minutes I was saying, that is a really good one, because I know what I love about you Sam as a friend. I love how like when we hang and have a barbecue or something like. I love when Sam is unleashed and very comfortable like in my house, like like like you're authentic and you and I, yeah, that's so great when you could be yourself around someone and not be guarded, like I hope she doesn't judge you by blaying.
Speaker 8: You might meet someone who you're you're really into, and you're like worried that one misstep might cost you the relationship, and I don't think that's healthy. I think you you you want to be yourself and then they know you're comfortable and confident.
Speaker 2: To be fair, Sam, I'm not sure you know how to do anything other than be exactly who you are.
Speaker 1: So and that wasn't always the case with me. I had to come at two years to kind of come out of my shelf.
Speaker 2: Danny G what you got?
Speaker 4: I would say for dating advice, I'll put it in sports terms. When you're first hanging out with a little hottie, don't play press coverage, like play zone way off the ball, like, be confident, show interest, and be thoughtful at all that. But don't put too much pressure on the person you want to get with, because if you think about all the other guys who are way too much in or kool aid, you'll stand out by being more relaxed.
Speaker 2: You gotta let her come to you.
Speaker 8: Yes, And I feel like that that applies though to especially people dating today, because you gets so easily to get easy to like get ghosted for maybe being a little bit overbearing.
Speaker 2: But the opposite applies. What did the opposite apply? Also?
Speaker 1: Where remember when we were youngsters, if you were dating in high school and college in the nineties and two thousands, remember the movie Swingers, Like the three day roll. If you wait three days to hit up someone, now they're onto like the next person.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking about it. Somebody change.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised Rich didn't say this one because it is Fox Sports Radio and we say it all the time. You got to date someone like a full calendar year to see how their habits change, Like can they put up with your your football habits? You know when you're in front of the TV for six months straight? Like that's one thing I just said that. When we were on the East Coast, I would say, like, you need to know how they I hate to use the words summer as a verb, but like, are they the girl that's like I'm in a beach club every weekend. I'm going to the Hampton's or Jersey Shore, Like, what's your summer like? And in the fall? Are you cool that every Saturday and Sunday? Like Kevino said, are you cool that? Like we're sort of locked into football?
Speaker 2: Like right?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you don't if you're a big time sports lover, it's part of your deal or into whatever recreation it is.
Speaker 2: And they're not.
Speaker 1: That's a bit of a conflict something you should know. And as a guy that's been through a divorce and I'm not bitter, I'm better, I'd like to say that good therapy talk. Yes, two things that stand out. You got to make sure they vibe with your family. Number one and again that could change, so there's no guarantee, but it's important, uh because that could be sticky icky And how did they fight? Did they move on and apologize? And by guns or bygones? And they say terribly mean things really good, Like if you see that they could fly off the handle and say mean things.
Speaker 2: That you're seeing who they really are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's kind of hard to move past.
Speaker 2: That's really goes on. Damn byer you got anything? Yeah, just don't date crazy? Yah, date crazy? That might be the most tocincting. And yeah, maybe people may think it's fun and exciting at first. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah I'm not pointing. I'm not pointing fingers. But there's someone I know, yeah, very closely for twenty plus years that I think sometimes confused like crazy with like exciting and the passion.
Speaker 2: Like I'll tell you the girl I do might have kids.
Speaker 1: Podcast with the call, she openly talks about how her and her husband she seems like a real pain the ass, Like she'll fight about something and like two days later she's like, I'm still mad at him about that. Thank god, wife, I'm sure you're short term memory. Like, hey, I always say, like we have two kids, we have work, with things going on, I don't have time to keep a silly fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, like I guess what, I'm sorry you over it. I'm over it.
Speaker 1: Like if it's a real problem, will address it, but like silly things to be mad at for days at a time. The best piece of dating or relationship advice you've ever been given, Mike, what.
Speaker 2: Do you go?
Speaker 13: I am?
Speaker 2: I am going to give you the definitive And it is a very specific piece of advice, and it does incorporate a lot of the stuff that you guys are talking about. I think the biggest issue most people have in a relationship is the incessant need to please the other person, to put your best foot forward, which means you never find out what where their freakery is, right, because it's not about whether they are a freak or they're not a freak. We're all freaks. We're all weirdos in our own special way. What you need to do is find out what that weirdoness is, what's that freakery is, to see if you're compatible in the screen. That's not whether you're my fly match her fly exactly. So, so my advice is, go to Vegas, go to Atlantic City, Go somewhere where there's going to be excessive partying going on. You are going to lose your inhibitions. You are going to say the stupid crap, it's all going to come out. You see me in Vegas, right, Atlantic City, whatever it.
Speaker 3: Is, don't go to Atlantic City. That place is awful. Yeah, you got you have a good point. But the whole, the whole idea is to get past the best foot forward stage and find the reality and and learn if you if that's something you can handle. Is that something you're going to be able to deal with?
Speaker 14: Do you?
Speaker 2: Like Steve was saying earlier, how do how do you fight? Do you can you can you actually have a fight and get over it and get past it? Or are you just are they just mean just mean? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know what, before we get to the feedback, it's about advice, right, I think you have to be receptive to advice and taking advice and constantly working to be better in relationships. And not to tie it back to sports, but we were talking about Anthony Valpi before. One of the biggest criticisms was that he never reached out or got any advice from Derek Cheeter none.
Speaker 2: And I've seen interviews with Cheeter where he's like, yeah, Volpie's never reached out.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, no, I don't really know him that well. Like, you have a guide that could give you so much advice on how to succeed in New York and you never took advice from the guy. So you got to look at people who are doing it right. You know, Mike, how long have you been married now?
Speaker 2: Twenty six years?
Speaker 1: You know, my parents have been married fifty years. And you got to listen to the things they say. Be willing to be receptive to that advice. Rich has been in a happy marriage now for man, how many years now, Rich fifteen fifteen years? So the best relationship advice you've ever been given? Your phone calls. We'll take a few now, right, Dan, get a.
Speaker 2: Fire quickly here. Brandon in Missouri, what's your advice?
Speaker 12: Bud uh Yeah, from my rest and peace my grandpa Art.
Speaker 5: I think it works for a lot of things.
Speaker 10: But we were talking about my girlfriend a long time ago. At the time, his advice was always never change horses mid stream.
Speaker 2: That's what he always told me. Okay, never change horses mid I'm want to research though. I believe that's what George W.
Speaker 8: Bush said, like, don't don't elect John Carey, you don't want to change horse Midstreet.
Speaker 2: Just relect me. No disrespect to Art Grass is not always greener.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think what he's saying is finished the relationship you're in, new one. Yeah, you know what sound advice?
Speaker 1: That's what I means sound advice. Appreciate it all right.
Speaker 2: Brandon and Alaska.
Speaker 1: Hey Brandon, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 2: Sold Hey a longtime listener, first time caller.
Speaker 1: Thanks, love your show.
Speaker 10: Authentic, entertaining grace spin on sports radio.
Speaker 1: You guys are the best, Thanks man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for the opportunity. Hey, quicking easy. I'll sweat the putty stuff only Pet the sweaty stuff. Don't don't take it all too serious. Be happy, make your partner happy, move on life, good boys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Rich always says something too good one.
Speaker 4: I feel like we should mail a grilling apron out to Alaska. Yeah it, hang of it, hang on the line brand.
Speaker 1: To go along with that. Rich often. Don't you have a rule, Rich where you never go to bed angry?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that one of your one of your rules.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get a plaque made Pet the sweaty stuff.
Speaker 1: You should put it right in your office. Don't say it one more time. I had to dump that one last.
Speaker 2: One, last quick call here before we get to midweek. Major Doug in New York. Dougie Doug, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, love this show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Thanks man.
Speaker 12: I actually got engaged in Atlantic City, so I take a little resentment on that.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're eight months strong, so I'm with that congratulation.
Speaker 12: I diated previously and we would go out and we would at the bar, be at the bar, and they would play like juvenile or baby got back in. My girlfriend at the time would run out to the dance who like, she just got selected in the prices right, And the first time I was like, Holy lord, And then she did it, second time, third time she was wanting everyone's attention for that song, and I knew then we were not gonna make it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. There you go.
Speaker 1: Sometimes someone else wants if you want the attention of others. So much interesting watch the show, be part of it and chat live at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube at Covino on RICHFSR on YouTube and if you really liked the show, we were telling Danny g before earlier today on our Patreon Uncensored and Unleashed Covino and Rich Rich did a magic trick and it was so funny because it was so good.
Speaker 2: Regular Steve Martin over there, Yeah, dude, I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't believe it. Rich is like I learned the magic. What did you call me? David Gooberfield, David Gooberfield, David Lame, David Lame. Rich Davis did a trick And it's always fun discussions like the one we just had like relationships and nonsense Covino and Rich on Patreon, Patreon dot com, Sash Covino and Rich. But love being here on Fox Sports Radio, our favorite two hours of the day. Now before we go to dB for an update, I didn't want to play that Keith had Dad this clip from the game when I told you he brought up the Boston Braves and how he loved the logo. But that logo is known as one of the very racist looking. So take a listen to this great out of the Mets game Yesday with Steve Cohen.
Speaker 7: An early sixties going to Milwaukee Braves with the yeah screaming the screaming Indians.
Speaker 2: That was a great logo I love.
Speaker 1: Some people might not think, so send me with the toss to Lindora and on the first for the.
Speaker 5: Four six three double play, which saves us from that awkward conversation. Oh it's not awkward at all after four bets, five guardians.
Speaker 2: It's good conversation.
Speaker 1: Conversation, just typical, typical typical Keith, ha Dad, this, We're gonna give you some time.
Speaker 2: I was Sam. It's Wednesday, which means we're in the middle of the week, mid week.
Speaker 14: Major come on, Covino and Rich, get you over the middle of the week when mid Week Major Major. Oh, I love that we throw sports and pop culture headlines and topics at the fellas, and it's like the kids.
Speaker 2: Say, that's summit.
Speaker 1: We definitely here.
Speaker 5: See it our scoring mid week major.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, you do. Hear those horns.
Speaker 4: That means you've made it right through the middle of the work week before we hand things over to Iowa Samuel, Let's roll those two big red love DICE's.
Speaker 2: Me eight nine nine eight you got nine nine oh Rich, let's go all right, he gets first taken.
Speaker 4: Now, ladies and gentlemen, the most famous person besides Brian Bell Ofweezer from Iowa City, Iowa, Iowa SAMs zero city.
Speaker 8: All right, guys, we go from a fun and laughing and dancing to a somber story here. How would you like to lose your job as a college basketball play by play announcer or color commentator because you game for the previous coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound very fun, does it.
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 8: That's exactly what happened to Kevin Collins and Josh Moore, who served as Boston College's radio team for the past nine seasons. Colin had been with the BC men's basketball radio team for the past thirteen seasons. Colin games for the previous three head coaches and working under five athletics director directors. But this past March, incomes Luke Murray, a former assistant at Yukon. He's also Bill Murray's son, Oh, to take over the BC head coaching job, and he decides he doesn't want anyone around his program associated with the previous regime. So late July comes Kevin Collins and Josh Moore are let go Collins. Colin's sold awful, announcing he knew something something was up when the new coaching staff was dodging him in marr and they could not get any kind of meeting or sit down with Coach Murray.
Speaker 1: Out with the old in with the new Midweek or major mitt The only thing major about this that's so mad Bill Murray's kid.
Speaker 2: It's lessen.
Speaker 1: People get fired when they sam You've worked in radio long enough, right A new program director comes in, a new boss, they change the morning show with the whole staff, you know, new sales rep comes in. They fire the people onto them if they don't like it.
Speaker 8: If you don't see the problem with this, This is this is a radio team that this never happens. The radio team is not a part of the program. They're hired by the university and they want to call winning basketball.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: I know I don't want to take too much from this story, but to me, this really rubbed me the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I know, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, what does the radio team have to do? They have nothing to do with how whether the team succeeds or fails the game. I agree, but I just feel like, unfortunately, whatever the reason is, radio people, TV hosts, you know, people get let go all the time. It's the weakest reason that with new start they don't want anyone associated with the all the same major. You know what, I agree with everything, rich set. We always see people bringing in their own people. Anytime there's a new boss, they what do they do? What Scott Farrell talks about, They shake it up and they bring in their own people. But the radio crew has nothing to do with winning basket. That'll be like that would be like they'd be like Michael Ka getting the boot because there's a new Yankees manager.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: I would say you know, in a world where radio jobs are hard to come by, more than ever before, and it's it ever changing landscape. You know, you got a gig. This is one of the weakest ways to lose one. It's like, what are we gonna have to do with that?
Speaker 8: I agree with that, yeah, yeah, and sports media Twitter was ablaze with that story a few nights ago. All right, let's press on something a little happier. This event certainly snuck up on me, guys. I'll be gone this time next week in Philadelphia, so I won't have another chance to report on it.
Speaker 2: Excuse me how to clear my throat there?
Speaker 1: But the Field of Dreams Game is back this August thirteenth.
Speaker 2: It's snuck up on us.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 8: It'll be the Phillies and the Twins in Dyersville, Iowa on a busy Thursday of baseball mini games going on the day, and this game will be broadcast on Netflix Netflix. It's the first Field of Dreams games since twenty twenty two. The event started in twenty twenty one. I was there by the way, but has been on hiatus for the past three years for development and construction at the site.
Speaker 1: Field of Dreams Game is back midweek or Major Major?
Speaker 2: Love it, Sam, I'm jealous you at one. In fact, I want to give me the ten second summary. How was it? It was amazing? You know, are you events first one? Right?
Speaker 1: The vibes were immaculate. I love what MLB thinks outside the box and does stuff like this, So I think it's Major. Twins Phillies. Hey, I thought if I was a Twins fan like our boss, I would try to go. If I'm a Phillies fan, I try to go absolutely Major. I think you're such a special game, special night. It's special for the players. You could feel it, and you got some big time stars. You got a rise now fired up to be part of that team. You got Harper in the outfield. The Twins are hot. Well, the Twins are decent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I asked the bus was going. He said no. But if you can make that, I think you make it. And it's always fun to watch. It's like one of the random times you'll watch two teams you don't necessarily care that much about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure, I'm wondering after the first two times and then they had the hiatus of a few years, like if they do this every year, will people be like excited about the way were the one.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I think if they switch the teams, yes, I feel like gives If the Mets were in it, I'd be like, oh, I want to go?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you want to go out to Dires, which is basically a giant cornfield out in the middle of I love it.
Speaker 1: I'd go regardless of who's playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very cool. All right, let's move on this one here quickly.
Speaker 8: A Green Bay defensive star Micah Parsons, met with the media on Tuesday, and he let us know that we shouldn't worry about the knee he's still rehabbing, but rather how ferocious the beast in him will be will be when he returns to the field.
Speaker 2: Have a listen to this audio.
Speaker 11: You know that's kind of like my mentality and how I feel and how I'm going to approach when I'm back. Is like people are worried about the knee. They should be worried about how I'm going to play when I get the anger, the frustration, the things that I'm not to let out because you know how long it's been since I played. So I think that's what people should really worry about, Like how great is Mikey going to be when it gets back. Not about one I get back, because that's the that's the short term. It's about how great I'm gonna be hot, and how my teammates and you know, how far we're going to go into a playoff.
Speaker 8: Un he didn't deliver that with a whole of energy, But like after that, I expect for sacks, seven tackles, for lost interception and forced fumble from MICHAEH.
Speaker 2: Parsons.
Speaker 1: Where's my music? Can we tell you Sam week as could be? You can't talk about how you got the and talk in the most subdued, lame manner. Michael Parsons is a beast, but you can't come on a microphone and be like.
Speaker 8: You know, guys is, don't worry about my knee. There's a beast and side worry about when I'm on the field, I'm gonna kill people. Give me some diam enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely agree with Rich. I'll say Mid because what he was yeah, match, what he was saying was meaningful, but his vibe and his tone, his laid back attitude didn't match that at all. Yeah, So you know, therefore, Mid, you're gonna say something like that bring some gusto. All right, that's all I got. That's all she wrote, Thank you, Yeah, I was Samuel l great job. You uh ready to watch your Yankees tonight?
Speaker 2: Or what I am? You don't watch Ted Lasso?
Speaker 1: No, I watched Ted when you watch Kate?
Speaker 4: Rich stopped trying to distract with the fact that you have not watched Quarterback on Netflix and you've you've been saying for three weeks on the show, now that you're you're gonna watch it.
Speaker 2: Oh, tonight's the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we even had showtime a home stop by this week. You know, I'll tell fire up for Quarterback Tomorrow the NFL officially starts. It is your preseason Hall of Fame game. Got rid of everybody? Football season started?
Speaker 2: You know. I bet Rich is gonna say he's gonna start watching it tonight.
Speaker 1: I think tonight is when I'm gonna start. I'm meeting I'm meeting a friend for dinner. I gotta I gotta drive like an hour in traffic, now I know. But I'm gonna go get dinner with an old school palate. Then I'm gonna head home, hopefully the kids are sleeping by then. And I think I'm gonna pour meself, drink, watch some quarterback because tomorrow starts the NFL. I think no better timing, Danny, you're gonna put yourself a Wednesday night cocktail. Interesting, didn't testing kind of drink like a TC drink or something. Oh ray, he's California sober. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I still drink, but I don't want to hang over tomorrow. It's one of those little must buzz.
Speaker 2: I can wait. We have preseason NFL tomorrow. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: You you know now, you know you love the NFL so much that it's Cardinals Panthers backup players and you're like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna watch still hype. That's how you know we love the NFL.
Speaker 1: So tomorrow starts, as I said, the new chapter, right, because now from now until Valentine's Day, your life is consumed with football, and I love it, and so do you. All Right, we'll see you guys tomorrow tomorrow, Old School win fifty hits, more prizes and we'll talk PDA ham effect.
Speaker 2: Absolutely until then, Riba there, see you in the promise.
Speaker 1: Then you guys, good bye,