Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackout dates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: Hey, folks, Michael Phillips here, thanks for checking out this new enterprise called the Movie Racket. It's the latest addition to the expanding podcast lineup under the Film Spotting production banner. And you know, some of you probably know that I've joined Adam and Josh Over on Film Spotting here and there now and then for a few years now. And we've also talked about me doing something on my own for a little while, just so they could take a break from all my undermining of their opinions. So here it is Season one of the Movie Racket. And the idea is this. For more than a century, the movie industry has spun off a long list of unwritten rules and guidelines for what makes a movie work, the secrets of success, the theories to live by, or at least film by. You could start with screenwriter William Goldman's epic three word reminder that in Hollywood nobody knows anything comes from his book Adventures in the Screen Trade. Quite famous, and even people who don't know what the hell they're doing currently in Hollywood, even if they're twenty two, they have memorized those three words and pull them out at meetings just because they think they're the first one to quote William Goldman. Most of the great directors, a lot of ordinary ones I think too, had their own Quippi theories over the years about their line of work. A good movie is three good scenes and no bad ones. Howard Hawkes said that what the public wants is a gun and a girl. That one's usually quoted the other way around, a girl and a gun. Either way, that's what makes a movie. That's the idea of sex and violence. No argument that we're done talking about it, although in America we sexualize everything except sex.
Speaker 3: But that's another story.
Speaker 2: Who said that?
Speaker 4: Who said what the.
Speaker 2: Public wants is a gun and a girl? Was not Howard Hawks wasn't Jean le Goadar. The answer may surprise you, and we're going to get to that one in upcoming episode of the movie Racket. So the more we looked at these truisms, these ideological beliefs about cinema, the sneakier they got, the ones that sounded and maybe still sound like total bs actually might be hiding something kind of useful and instructive for young filmmakers, young audiences, young podcasts listeners, old podcast listeners.
Speaker 4: The so called.
Speaker 2: Rules blueprints for success that sound reliable, solid. Maybe time has done its thing and rendered him antiques, and maybe they never were all that.
Speaker 4: To begin with, the writ is king here at Capitol Pictures. We're only interested in one thing. Can you tell a story bot? Can you make us laugh? Can you make us cry? Can you make us want to break out enjoy a song? Is that more than one thing?
Speaker 2: Okay mondays here on the Movie Racket, our special guest co star and I are going to examine a nugget of film theory, a truism that may or may not be true, a few words of Hollywood wisdom or filmmaking warning, and you might just come away with something new to think about. Sir Isaac Newton had his Laws of Motion. The twenty twenty sixth season of the Movie Racket gives you the Laws of Motion Pictures and this week's guest. Our first guest is actor director ari Em Cover, band Touring Phenomenon, and two time Academy Award nominee Michael Shannon. Since he's a two time Academy Award nominee for Revolutionary Road and for Nocturnal Animals, I gave Guy a couple of options to pick for our inaugural movie Law, and Michael chose the one you're about to hear. It comes from Francois Trufau and this interview he did with Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune that was three film critics before me back in nineteen seventy three. This is when Trufaux was promoting the US release of Day for Night. So Cisco and Trufau got on the topic of what Trufau believed to be the central paradox with war films, especially war movies partly or largely driven by combat life and death survival, and Trufau said simply, this, every film about war ends up being pro war. In other words, there's no such thing as an anti war film. And ciscl was like, wait a minute, Francois, what about Kubrick's Paths a Glory, and Trufau said no, and he wouldn't budge, and Siskel thought he was just being reductive or dismissive. And then, as Ciscle wrote later on, he couldn't shake Truffau's assertion that had so shaken his own ideas about anti war films and war on screen in general. So was true, Faull Wright does putting war and combat on screen somehow invariably juice the narrative you're telling in the direction of excitement and a kind of bloodthirsty instinct, even in a well behaved audience or the most pacifist temperament. Shannon goes at that question as a working actor and as a longtime movie lover, and he also reveals which war movie for him was the first one that really meant something to him as a young moviegoer. And he talks about working on Pearl Harbor, the movie, not the actual event, with director Michael Bay, who will never be confused with an anti war filmmaking temperament.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk today about something that Francois Truffau said in an interview with Jeene Ciscoll and The Chicago Tribune back in nineteen seventy three, and the sentence is very simple. Trufo said, every film about war ends up being pro war.
Speaker 4: I know that I've always been fascinated by war for a variety of reasons. I find it one of the most confusing things that human beings do is that we wage war upon one another. I've never heard a reason for it that's made any sense to me. And the fundamental question I think for me with war is war necessary? Because it seems like it must be necessary because it happens all the time. It's been happening for millennia, that people have to form groups and be in opposition to one another. And I guess one of the things that struck me about what Trufo said is that I think, fundamentally, like underneath it all, I think everybody understands that killing another human being is not something you should do for any reason. It's kind of like in the film I directed, Eric LaRue. At the end of the film, Eric Daru, who is in prison for killing people, says to his mother, no human being should kill another human being, period. And this is a person who has actually killed people, so he should know. And yet we constantly are killing people and trying to justify it with history or religion. But all of that say, I think filmmaking can't help but make whatever it's portraying alluring, whether it's war or murder. You don't make a film to bore the heck out of people. You don't say, Okay, let's get all these cameras and this big crew and go out and make the most boring, unappealing nonsense we can possibly make so that nobody will have any interest in watching it. So if you're making a film about something, you're going to make it look interesting, intriguing. You want people to be curious about it, And so that's inherent in the process, whether you're making a picture about war or anything else. But I also think it's because, like I said, people know, people know it's wrong. Like I don't care. I've heard all this stuff. You know, you take the Israel Palestine situation and you try and insert yourself into that, and people will say, well, it's too complicated for you to understand. You don't understand the history of this place, this land, you don't understand how many centuries this has been going on, and a la da da da da I'm like, I may not I may not understand it as well as you do. I may not be as as informed as you are about the history of it. But the one thing that I and every other sentient human being in the universe knows is that you shouldn't kill somebody like you just shouldn't kill somebody, period. So it's a huge obstacle to overcome if you're going to go out and kill a bunch of people. Is that that fundamental understanding that we all have. And part of that, I think is cinema of war. It makes war look like it is a noble thing to go out and kill people like and it's justified or you know, and god, this answer is like two hours long, but it's all right there. The show is going to be six okay. Cool, And inevitably a war film has a hero, like you can't help. If there's a war, there's a hero, And if you're making a film about war, you're not going to leave the hero out of the film, because that would be silly. Because again it goes back to the earlier point I was making about wanting to make a film that's appealing and intriguing to other people to watch. So one way you do that is you put a hero in the movie. So every movie about war, I think he's going to have a hero.
Speaker 3: I guess I would push back though, with you on one thing, Michael, so far of what you said, I don't know if these are commercial dictates of the medium of movies that must make films about war. Focus on what you say, you know, the hero or just see the kind of visceral, gripping thrill of some of the action, the life and death moment to moment, kind of rhythmic beats of combat and who's living and who's dying. You can't help a big grip by that. And I think we all were at a certain age, especially boys, you know. I mean it took me a while to realize. At age eight, when I saw The Green Berets on TV, I thought it was I don't know, I thought it was all right, pretty good, you know, And then I saw it as an adolescent, and then by then the aggravating critic NERD was born, and I thought, what in hell did I fall for when I was just a kid at a.
Speaker 4: J that's as two nine or Savoy over buffed the Brown? Where do you want it put? It on a camp.
Speaker 1: Other people have it way, don't over you only take.
Speaker 5: Him in it, you know.
Speaker 3: In other words, a war movie that only has propaganda and villainizing the obvious adversary. It's mine, you know what I mean? I mean that was mine. My kind of like we're awaking. But I you know, when you're young, you don't really think through what's going on on a movie because it is literally life and death all the time, which is as a moviegoer, is kind of almost beyond aesthetics. But I don't know, was there a war movie for you when you were young. It's sort of just like, yeah, wow, I really grabbed me. This one grabbed me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Star Wars. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station and what of the rebellion. If the rebels have obtained a complete technical read out of this station, it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it. The plans you refer to will soon be back in our hands. Any attack made by the rebels against this station would be a useless gesture. No matter what technical data they've obtained. This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use.
Speaker 3: It war film. Interesting, nobody calls it that, and it's in the title.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in the title. But you know, I don't want to like too my own horn or anything, but I've had I don't know if i'd say the pleasure, but the opportunity to participate in a lot of movies about war and the military and a lot of movies that have violence in them. And I don't dispute what you're saying. I'm just thinking about what the proposal that Truffo is making with his statement that a film about war has to be pro war. And I'm not even necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with what he's saying, but I do think again, I just go back to and this is based on my experiences, like I said, having participated in so many projects having to do with war, is that war is inexplicable and ridiculous, and we do it and we have to spend a lot mental energy like justifying why we do it, because it's it really shouldn't happen. There's no justification for it. In my mind, it makes no sense, you know. But my favorite writer is Ian Esco, Eugenie and Esco and he used to say, I actually did a play and you might have seen it because we did it at Red Orchid. We did it at Red Orchid twice. Actually we did it in our early days, and then we remounted it. It's called Victims of Duty by Eugenie and Esco. And in the play there's a character who has a line says, every story is a detective story. I believe that. I believe that's true. Every story is a detective story. You're always trying to solve a mystery, and so yeah, war movies are trying to solve the mystery of why we go to war. I guess it's such a waste war. It's not just a waste of human life, it's a waste of money, resources, time, and it never seems to lead to anything. I mean, I guess every movie about war winds up being pro war because in a war, there are at least two sides, and you're going to align yourself with one of the two sides as a person. If you're watching Group A and Group B at war and you're watching a movie about it, eventually you're gonna be like, well, I want group B to win, or I want Group A to win. I want somebody to win. You don't want both sides to lose, right, you don't want everybody to just die and that's the end, like somebody wins. So that's what I guess Troupfo probably was maybe was thinking, is that if you're watching a movie about war, you wind up rooting for somebody. But I don't know how you can make a movie about this current conflict and have a side that you're rooting for. I mean, look, one of my closest dearest friends is a filmmaker I've worked with a couple of times, Ram and Barani, and we just had lunch the other week, and he's his family's from Iran and he spent a few years there and his wife is Iranian and he can't even talk about it. He's so upset he can't even talk about it. And yeah, like you said, I you know, I don't think this is a podcast in which people will discover the secret to world peace or something, but I do think it's it's very strange how they changed the name of the Department of Defense back to the Department of War. That didn't seem necessary or beneficial to anyone. Really, I get the feeling that there's a lot of stuff that's happening right now. That is basically what it boils down to is there are super rich people that kind of want things to happen the way they want them to happen. And if that sounds like a conspiracy theory, so be it. But it is all connected. It's connected in scary, freaky ways now because what happened is destroying show business in this industry that I somehow managed to find my way into. Is that big tech billionaires said, hey, let's take over Hollywood. And that is like destroying the whole shebang. But there's always been money in Hollywood that comes from questionable places, but it's really beyond the pale right now. And so war movies are expensive buy and large. It's pretty difficult to make a cheap war movie, yeah, and so that money's got to come from somewhere, and I mean particularly nowadays. Maybe back in the twenties you could have made a cheap war movie I don't know, you know, out in the desert or something. But nowadays they got to have all the exciting effects and gizmos and all that, and you know, big expensive movie stars and all that. So they need a lot of money. So the people that give the money to make the Warfroone were like, we will give you this mountain of money to make this movie. As long as the movie says this and it makes these people look like this and it makes the audience feel this way, then we'll give you the money. If you don't want to do if you don't want to agree to all that ahead of time, then you can go somewhere else and see who will give you amount of money, because it won't be us. And that's kind of how it goes now.
Speaker 3: Generation ago early film for you was Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, Yes, which would fit the description just in terms of the size of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in honor of our trip to Japan, I got some uh hectree cigar, Yeah, gigar there you go, get in your inside pocket pet to your art. You know, Jack, we may lose this battle, the would and win this war. You know how I know? No, because they're rare.
Speaker 3: What's your memory of the whole thing? It's uh, it's not the best written war film ever.
Speaker 4: Oh it's funny you say that, because yeah, it was not as grip that you get embossed in gold or something and frame for posterity. But there's two things I would say about that is one day I was on the set, because you know, we spent a considerable amount of time in Pro Harbor itself, and the whole Pro Harbor sequence we shot filmed there, and we took it over. We ran around like crazy people for a while a month or so. I remember getting these incredible headaches from just running around inhaling smoke and listening explosions all day long. And you played I just played some random you know. I was a co pilot. Goose was my name. I was a surfer. But the main heroes were being Affle like and Josh. There were some of us to add a little bit of color, character, funniness or comedy. So that was me and a couple other fellas, you and Bremner, who's remained a dear friend of mine. He played a character named Red because he had red hair. You know, these are the massive concepts we're dealing with. But it was a very very odd thing to run around where this actually happened and pretended pretend to recreate it because it was a catastrophe. It was a complete disaster. It was one of the saddest events in human history. And yet we're here and it's not like we're trying to make it seem like something else, like it was a big party or something. I mean, we are running for our lives. You know, people are dying and things are on fire, and like I said, there's explosions and smoke and all this. But it is being recreated for the entertainment of other people. Like I said, it's not being recreated to be like a drag or like something you don't want to watch. It is being recreated specifically and thought about as like I said, as Michael like you were saying, Michael Bay, He's not thinking about the moral dilemma. He's thinking about how do I make this as irresistible as possible. That is his That's what he wakes up thinking about when he's making that move. Whether he's successful or not. You can debate that there's some people that think the movie's crapped or some people that love it. I've heard every kind of opinion you could possibly hear about Pearl Harbor. You can't surprise me. But that is what he was doing when he went to work every day. He was not saying, oh, I should really think about this big moral issue about war. There's not no nothing, But you know, you'd run around and you'd have these fake rounds being fired out of like gatling guns and all this and straping that that was done with special effects, you know, little bags that would explode with dust in it and make it look like bullets, right, But you'd run past the building and you would see actual bullet holes from back in the day when it was actually happening, Like I saw actual bullet holes from the actual December seventh, nineteen forty one assault on pro harm And then for a bonus, I got to go up in a plane because they actually had some pilots there that had flown around in these planes, like the P forty two's I think it's been a while. I think it's P forty two it is called. And we went I went up in a plane and you in went up in a plane. We flew in a formation over the USS Arizona and I looked down out of this little two seater plane into the water and I saw the entirety. When you go out on that little bridge that's over the top of it, you see the oil bubbling up and you're like oh my god, they're still oil in there. But you don't get a sense of what you're standing on top of. But when you're up in the sky and you look down at it, I mean, it's one of the most awe inspiring things I've ever seen in my life, and also one of the saddest because you know that that vessel is just filled with corpses, and like I said, so unnecessary. And at the time, you know, nowadays, if somebody came to me and said, hey, we're making Pearl Harbor, and I was at the point I'm in now in my career, I would probably frankly would say, you know what, I think, I'm good. But back then I was. I had just got in LA. I was in fight or flight mode. It was like, you know, people were going to LA from Chicago and a lot of people weren't getting any bites. And you know, I was lucky. I was lucky I got in that room at all. I got in a room with Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer, you know, two of the most powerful guys in Hollywood at the time. When they said yes you, I would have been a fool to say, oh, I'm no, I'm leaving. But now I don't know. I don't know if I'm going to tell that story now, I don't what.
Speaker 3: It just feels what to you well, it.
Speaker 4: Kind of like I said, it just feels like, you know, I had that opportunity to look down at the USS Arizona from that plane the story I just told. I had that opportunity after we had finished filming, and I think it dawned on me as I was looking down at that ship in the water, I was like, Oh, this is really sad, and I'm not sure that this movie is going to capture that or be so concerned with that, with how sad this is. You know, I don't know if Truffau is he's saying, you can set out to make a film that you think is depicting the horror of war, and yet in the process of doing that, you're just going to make a film that makes war look alluring. But in the case of Pearl Harbor, I'm not even sure. Like I think we both said, I don't think Michael Bay was saying I'm going to make a film that makes everybody realize how horrible war is. I don't think that was ever in his diary, his journal and his notebook. That's what I'm going to do. For context.
Speaker 3: Let me just throw a couple of things, because there's an interesting triangle here. First of all, the full quote that Cisco got truefall. During that interview in seventy three, Trufau said, I think that violence is very ambiguous in movies. For example, some films claim to be anti war, but I don't think I've ever really seen an anti war film. Every film about war ends up being pro war. So that's his line. So you have other major filmmakers who have come to the much different conclusion, and a couple of them surprised me frankly, and I want to talk about these two films, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Francis Warcoppolo, the former Stanley Kubrick, the latter, the interview in The Guardian couplated back in twenty nineteen, said that he will not ever put the phrase anti war as a description of Apocalypse Now. He says, nobody wants to make a pro war film, but you know, an anti war film. This is not basically I'm paraphrasing there, but he said quote an anti war film shouldn't have sequences of violence that inspire a lust for violence.
Speaker 5: Aloud the romeo shall We Danced?
Speaker 3: The Apocalypse Now has stirring scenes of helicopters attacking innocent people. That's not anti war, A shot.
Speaker 5: Outstanding, but the amount stand education BA for that one.
Speaker 3: And then he went on to say an anthony war film cannot glorify war, and Apocalypse now arguably does. To your point, the word alluring. Yeah, I think the reason that film is still talked about. I mean a it was such a crazy undertaking and such an insanely expensive undertaking, and you know, you had a director essentially losing his mind while making it and then regaining it. But it's not the kind of war film you can point to one ideology in it. You have the screenplay coming from a guy like John Mealyus, who was just a proudly right wing reactionary, delightful, delightful guy I interview know what you know who wrote well Red Dawn, which is a hilarious comic book of a movie from the mid eighties. And it couldn't be you know, simpler in its sort of political directive of like Gilly's comedies. And yet you also got narration spoken by and Sheen's character Willard, written by Michael Hare, who wrote Dispatches, who was a guy who came out of the wartime experience in Vietnam just a changed man. And you know, that's a very right wing, left wing tension point in that movie, and that's why I think it's hard to get your hands on it. Similarly, I think Full Middle Jacket, right Kubrick based on Christoph Hasward's The Short Timers, And I've read descriptions and heard descriptions of Full Metal Jacket every which way, and I want to know what you think of these films too. But R Lee Ermi, who played the drill sergeant, who was in fact the drill sergeant in life, he said that seventeen years after I made that film, there's not a day goes by on the base at least one person doesn't come up to me and tell me that I am the reason they're in the Marine Corps, and Full Middle Jacket was their motivation. You know, you just don't. You do not know how some of these scenes well effectual. And Truffau in that Cisco interview way back in seventy three, Jeane was kind of puzzled by Truffo's quote about how all films are inevitably in his view, pro war and and and Cisco said, well what about doctor Strange? What about Kubrick's paths of Glory?
Speaker 4: He says, no, I don't know that.
Speaker 3: Soja ready to kill more Germans?
Speaker 4: Watch? Your name is Soja Private? Private?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll bet your mother's proud of you.
Speaker 3: Well, counry on Private, and good luck to you. Now if I think Kubrick really likes violence too much for him to ever so interesting triangles here?
Speaker 4: You know who is right? Who is right?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 4: Anybody who is right? Well? I need clarification on right about what? It's not really right.
Speaker 3: It's just more about, like I guess, are we really chasing anything that we can catch?
Speaker 4: Okay? So violence, like I said, violence is inherent in human nature. Violence and war are inherent in human nature, even though we all know we're not supposed to do it and it's wrong for me. There's no even just from a logic standpoint, there's no arguing that. Really, I mean, do you see an argument against that? Do you see an argument in pro killing that killing is actually a fruitful thing for human beings to do? No? No, it brings about some positive change. Okay, so we can agree on that. So but it is part of us, and it's interesting. I'll tell you what's interesting. This is what's interesting. I was at funeral yesterday the same when I was talking about the Confederate cemetery, and during the funeral, the grandson of the woman who had passed, he got up and he read a passage from the Bible. I think it was from Ecclesiastes, but I'm not sure. But it's kind of a litany of there's a time for this, there's a time for that, there's a time, there's a time to embrace, there's a time not to embrace. There's a time to speak, there's a time to be silent, there's a time to time, to times and time. And then it gets a certain part and it says it literally says, in the Bible there's a time for war, there's a time for peace. I'm like, okay, that's cute. There's a time for war. They say, well, they are the opposites. But literally in the Bible is the phrase there is a time for war. And it's not the only time that war is mentioned in the Bible. And I find it very confusing because one of the Ten Commandments is thou shall not kill. See when I made Eric Guru, I told everybody I said this movie. Everybody's like, oh, you made a movie about school shooting. I'm like, yeah, yeah, I did, I suppose. But what the movie's really about is confusion. It's about how freaking confusing this all is. It's about how confusing religion is. It's how confusing it is to live in this country, how confusing humanity is. It's just so confusing it makes no sense. It's like, so, for example, something like Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jack, as far as I'm concerned, I think you know. Obviously, Kubriak's filmmaking style and Coboela's filmmaking style are pretty different, and that's what makes them both extraordinary filmmakers is that they are unique to themselves. You could try to imitate them, but you will not. You will not make a film the way Stanley Kuber makes a film. You will not make a film Away Francis for Cobla makes a film at the height of their powers. They're they're arguably two of the finest filmmakers that ever walk the earth. At the height of their powers. But both of those films, beyond being like pro war or anti war or whatever, I think what they are illuminating, and what I think fairly undebatable is they are illuminating how insane war is. I mean, they're but in both of those films, in addition to being about war, are about being insane and contain characters that are basically seen as like our typical lunatics, like the character that Marlon Brando plays in Apocalypse Now is one of the most well known figures of lunacy in the history of cinema. The same with the character that Vinc's Sinapio plays Influmental Jaggett, who blows his own brains out. So beyond whether it's saying, oh, war is, I mean, look, trying to identify things as good or bad is always just a waste of time. But rather, and I think what Copola's point is is like, I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that this film is prescriptive or non prescriptive for war, but I do think it's a fever dream. It's insanity. It shows what you know. So basically you get to decide whether you're in favor of insanity or you would rather not have so much insanity around. But it's a depiction of insanity the same way that Guernica by Picasso is his visualization of the insanity of what was happening, like apocalypse now is Copea is guanic As far as I'm pretent.
Speaker 5: A shot outstanding, but the outstanding educ should be for.
Speaker 3: That rem the films I resist on this topic, whatever the political ideology of the filmmaker, if it's based on a real war, whatever the war and what got the combatants into it in the first place, I guess I come back to it's kind of just a liberal humanist, impulsive feel something beyond easy villainy. For the other side, I think on what Mary Zimmerman, the Chicago Theater director was. For people who don't know her, it's you know, she did Metamorphosis, and you know a lot of her stuff has done worked in New York, and her work has been extraordinary over the years. And she convinced the Goodman Theater to swap out The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci, a revival of one of her earlier works, for a production of Seneca's The Trojan Women. Right after the American invasion of Iraq was first threatened in early two thousand and three, and then clearly nothing was going to stop. But at that point and then in the fall, she wanted to do that place. She said, civil you know, all wars or civil wars, if we believe that we're all brothers and sisters in this world. You know, you could call that sentimental or just squishy humanism, but I don't know. And then she said, look, wherever, wherever the bombs fall, that's ground zero, you know, and that we we got obsessed with that phrase ground zero after the Twin Towers were destroyed. Sure enough, But I just feel like it's been a hell of a century for questioning what. I don't know, what what what a war movie should or could do or can do, or how can it at least be a little honest about some things about human psychology, even in the midst of a movie that's essentially just about survival and camaraderie among warriors, whatever the mission is, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Hard to say, well, everything you have, everything, in a sense, is of war. We're all we're all struggling more all badly against something, whether it's other people or just in our own lives, even if you're waging a war against inertia or feeling like you're you know, conflict is the nature of drama. Without conflict, there is no drama. So in a sense, maybe you know drama, drama exists in order to help us understand or deal with the fact that we're essentially creatures of conflict.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you get to do it for a living.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure do, I sure do.
Speaker 3: Does it feel like a privilege to kind of investigate some of these darker corners of life and death without actually having to deal with life and death circumstances firsthand?
Speaker 4: Sure? Yeah. I mean I've had an extraordinary privilege of getting to spend a time with a lot of incredible members of our military over the years, and without fail, I'm always very moved by them and their service, and I would never denigrate them at all because they personify a lot of the finer qualities I think of people, despite the violent nature of their obligation. They're certainly the hardest working, most loyal people that I've come across in this business, and I've learned a lot from them. You know. It's not like I've had the experience of being in the military just because I've pretended to be in the military. But sometimes, like for example, on Pearl Harbor, if you were in the movie, you had to participate in this very brief kind of boot camp situation before the filming started. And we were all there, you know, the whole cast, all the dudes were there, even Ben Affleck and Josh Harden. Remember they they put us all on this bus and they drove us up into the mountains in Hawaii, far away from like the beach or whatever, and we pulled in this little camp and they started pounding on the bus. It's like goal line up, La da da. And within like two minutes of being there, I was watching Ben Affleck like down on doing push ups because the drill instructor was like, god, da da da, Like that's Ben Affleck. He's doing a lot of push ups because this guy's shouting at him. And it was only I don't know, it was like two weeks or something, but the experience of doing that little boot camp, which was absurd. I mean, we're a bunch of you know, actor like, it's not like we were ready to go to battle afterwards, but at least we had some semblance of an idea of what that experience might be like. But that is the experience of making that film that I carry with me. The like closest to my heart is that experience, not the actual filming. Forget me.
Speaker 3: If we talked about this already. Do you have one war film that really just means more to you than others?
Speaker 4: New wor old My favorite movies. None of my favorite movies are war.
Speaker 3: Movies, none of them.
Speaker 4: My favorite movies are like Being There or King of Comedy or Alphaville. I don't like warm movies so much. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you're really born for their Criterion closet. It sounds like that's that's great, I am. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said, the first war movie that came into my head with Star Wars. Yeah, and it might as well. As far as I'm concerned, it might as well all be Star Wars, because that's how absurd it all is.
Speaker 3: Too. O God, that's great, and that is crazy to me that I'd never really lot hard about Star Wars as being the zingiest, zippiest, funnest war movie. And back in seventy seven it was just like you couldn't play that arcade game often enough people saw it seven times, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, and now it's the national religion.
Speaker 4: So yeah on we go, gosh and keep cranking them out. Yeah, Mandalorian and that baby Yoda heank never touch the buttons.
Speaker 3: Thanks for war, criminals, Long live the Empire. We'll take out every bad guy in your deck of cards.
Speaker 4: Michael.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much. Thanks for thinking to me. Michael, Yeah, of course you always all right.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being guest one here on the movie Racket, and I'm glad you're in the movie Racket yourself.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah here Rock, come right back where I started from.
Speaker 2: The movie Racket is produced by Joe Dessou and Little Old me Adam Kempinar and Sam van Holgren and executive producers. Special thanks to Michael Shannon. He's in Germany right now filming The Cabinet of Doctor Kligari, and he just finished King Snake with writer director Jeff Nichols. And this December he's also going to be on screens as New York Giants coach Bill Parcells in Mister Irrelevant, The John Tuggle Story. He's also touring with Jason Nardesi this summer and a little bit into the Fall, performing Arim's fourth album, Life's Rich Pageant, and Michael's getting married August First Congratulations. Check out the latest episodes of Film Spotting, of Course and it's affiliated podcasting adventures, The Next Picture Show, Film Spotting SVU, and brand new Like Myself Movie Deathmatch with Chris Klemick. Next week on the Movie Racket, La Times film critic one of the Best, Amy Nicholson enjoys me for a lighthearted romp through Preston Sturge's eleven rules for box office appeal, Among them, a bedroom is better than a living room, an arrival is better than a departure, and a pratfall is better than anything. I'd love to hear from you, comments, questions, ideas, some gossip about your family, whatever. Email me at Movie Racket at film spotting dot Net. I'm Michael Phillips. This is a Film Spotting production, California, ELI