Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised the World's of viageon podcasts. Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: All right, no open, huh Matt, all right, okay, all right? Uh, it is Tuesday here Jillette Stadium, A beautiful day in Foxborough, gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Wait, we just got.
Speaker 3: Back for practice. It's Evan, it's Paul, it's me, it's Duce, it's Matt Nabooth. And it's been a while since we've had a show.
Speaker 2: It's been a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we have a lot to catch up on the offense, the defense, all that stuff. But I want to I want to start with Gabe Achis. That's who I want to catch up on, because, oh my god, I think he's he should take over your Derek Henry Band Club.
Speaker 2: Because this guy is looks the part, he looks the part he does.
Speaker 3: And you know, I saw a little bit of him yesterday in the one on ones and he's fast, fast around the edge.
Speaker 2: Power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just built, powerfully built too. We got to hear from him for the first time today. A lot of questions about the contract all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Nie said.
Speaker 1: It's behind him, not surprisingly, but good to hear him. Feel like you're fully getting up to speed with gay Bacchus and starting to you know, get more reps the last two days. So I'm hopeful that maybe by the time we get to see the Colts in a week from today, that you know, you see him kind of full go because you know, to be honest, I'm kind of meh on the edge position, like you know, I just I was kind of concerned about it coming into camp, and I haven't really moved off of concerns. So you know, I'd love to see I mean, I'm not concerned about a lot of stuff on this team, and I want to start this whole thing off with concern. But if there's one area of the team right now that I feel like they need a little more out of or a little juice stange position, so maybe he can bring it that, you know, stick would be yep.
Speaker 2: So he was yesterday his first practice in team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he practiced on Saturday and limited basis and then yesterday got some team reps in. He's made some plays against the run, beat some blocks that we've seen went around with Marcus Bryan with quickness yesterday, shed Kale Blomoo today. So I've seen him pop in the run game a little bit, you know, pass rush. I think is gonna take time. He got to learn intricacies, use your hands, things like that. But he looks the part. He looks strong, looks like he's in great shape. It doesn't look like he was sitting on the couch, you know, eating candy while he was waiting to sign the contract. So that's a good sign. Hopefully we just see more and more of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who would you physic, you know, physique wise, compare him to because he's not as big as mcguinnis was.
Speaker 2: No, you know, no, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean him and Draymond Jones are pretty similar sizes. I mean, I know Draymond Jones hasn't played for the Patriots. Yeah, but I don't know if I have a great cop yet. In terms of just pure size, it's.
Speaker 2: Not really long.
Speaker 1: He's not a long guy like some of the edge guys where you know, like I think a Trey Flowers who had like just really long arms, and you know, he doesn't really seem like that.
Speaker 2: But he's just he's very well put together.
Speaker 1: I think his lower half is, you know, great legs, powerful kind of a guy.
Speaker 5: So he's built a little bit like Judon, but I don't think he plays like Judon.
Speaker 4: I think there are different types of players, but the body types I could see being a little bit similar.
Speaker 5: But we'll see.
Speaker 4: I mean, I the good news to me is that he I think he's out there in plenty of time to get him ready for the season. Oh yeah, Like we're not getting into a point where he's coming in, you know, second third week of August and you're really concerned that he's going to be way too far behind. I think the thoughts as long as he stays healthy of like red shirt ears and things like that, I think he's going to be able to contribute as long as he's healthy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's my big takeaway is that he should have plenty of ramp up, you know, you know for the regular season. And yeah, I mean, it was not an ideal way to spend your your onboarding as a rookie, but I think he's the fact that he's been out there in team the last two days really really positive sign yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's that's my opening take what about you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like this is the dog days of CAM. I mean it kind of has become a cliche at this point. But five padded practices in six days, and you could, you know see it. I think they were they're getting used to each other. I mean they've run this little bootleg play ten times again, you know, I feel like and today the defense.
Speaker 2: You know, snuffed it out.
Speaker 1: So I think that's getting to the point where we're ready to play against some other teams. Yeah, you know, they'll have a couple of days of clean up. They'll probably have you know, something on Friday, and then two days off and then they'll get into it next Monday, Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I mean, progression wise, you know, from where the offense started to where it.
Speaker 2: Is now, I think it's night and day.
Speaker 3: I mean, it just looks the operation just looks a lot better than it did those opening couple of days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see the progress, you know, the progression that they're you know, installing things where it's you know.
Speaker 2: Red zone high, red zone low.
Speaker 1: Middle of the field, short yardage run. Yesterday today they started putting in some two minutes, so you know, you see how they're constructing everything, putting it all together to get them ready to play a game in what like nine days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know how much more you can really glean from Patriots versus Patriots practices at this point. I think you need to see it against another opponent because I think one guy that's looked fantastic is Will Campbell. But Deuce highlighted the edge of the spot that he's concerned about. So how much does Will Campbell look great? Because the Patriots depth at edge just isn't very good. So once we get to the Colts and the Eagles, you know, hopefully we'll see him against better competition in some respects and see more. But I think that he's looked really strong. And Draymond Jones was talking about him, he played him when he was with the Titans. Draymond Jones played him last year and he said he's much better than he was when we played him last year, and talking about him being stronger and better with his technique and all those different types of things.
Speaker 5: So he's looked really, really good.
Speaker 4: Now is that say more about the edge position than it does about Will Campbell? I guess we'll we'll find out once you get into the other competition.
Speaker 6: Now, my big takeaway is just that I'm really encouraged by how much both sides are enjoying different periods of the practice. And we've had a lot of training camps over the last say five six years, where one side or the other really controls things, and I don't think that's been the case this year. I think there have been times. Even today it starts off, I thought there were a lot of incomplete passes. I thought, in particular, when Drake May and the starters were out there, they were sort of under fire. They were sending a lot of blitzes at them. Yeah, so there were a lot of checkdowns and not a lot of production. And then you know, as the practice progresses and you get to you know, two minute at the end, I thought they had a little bit more success. So the defense has some stuff that they feel good about and some stuff they need to work on. The offense has the same thing. I think that's what you're looking for right in camp, and that this I feel like this is I'm probably missing years over the you know, the last but I feel like this has been about as even as it's been with both sides enjoying positive days.
Speaker 2: Then that I can remember.
Speaker 1: Showed up to me. In the run game. I feel like there's you know, a couple of runs that they're in nothing there, and then there's all of a sudden increase some space and you know, you see and you know, just Turle Jennings kind of popped back yesterday and I just think he's right in the mix, and you know, looks like he's got some speed and he looks like he's.
Speaker 2: Read twenty twenty fourth pretty even there, both bad.
Speaker 1: How about you're probably right the pillow fight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: The overall competitiveness of practice has really stood.
Speaker 2: Out and good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've been in pads a bunch, which I think is a departure from last year. I thought last year they kind of eased in and weren't as heavy on the padded practices. This is what pad's added four to the five days or five out of six or something like that, and then they'll be in pads again at the end of the week. So uh, there there's a lot of hitting, a lot of padded practices, a lot of one on ones, a lot of you know, half line drills things like that, and that I didn't think it was quite as competitive as last year for Rabel's first camp as this one has been. And I you know, Paul, you mentioned the slow start to last season. You know, maybe just the overall intensity to you know, Remedy, the super Bowl from last year, whatever the case may be. It just feels like they are kind of getting after it in this camp, almost like the good old days, you know of training camp.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what I was gonna ask you guys. Do you ever remember like a matchup with AJ Brown and Christian Zaluz like this with WR one and a CV one. I mean, I know Revis was here, I know ty Law was here. Did he ever you know, have that actual I mean that matchup to me has been so much fun to watch a lot of times, Drake's targeting AJ Brown right off the get go. Great clip from Drake being micd up talking to AJ Brown about how Gonzo was playing him and stuff. So that's been one of my favorite things in camp is just watching two elite talented guys go up against.
Speaker 3: Each other every day and both have accepted the challenge, you know, so it's like they're making each other better.
Speaker 1: It's like when good players are both really good and they go against each other. They make each other better. What is this?
Speaker 6: What is that called?
Speaker 2: What's that? Iron? Sharp and iron? That sums it up?
Speaker 6: I wish I had thought of that.
Speaker 5: You should have just let that.
Speaker 2: I actually, well, do you remember like in camp matchups like.
Speaker 1: That, like Rerevis Edelman that's probably maybe could you could you call it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I really can't.
Speaker 6: I really don't think of one like that, because you know they had.
Speaker 2: I mean Moss Molly practice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they didn't really have like the year Revs was here, they didn't really have that, you know, right, They used to do the we used to call the Hall of Fame drill, and Revis would work with Gronk and Brady. Well they were doing special teams periods. They'd be like, yeah you can. They were like me, you can do that on your own time and go over here, and like we're gonna be with the Hall of famers over here. But it wasn't necessarily covering Gronk. It was just sort of working on some yeah, some techniques.
Speaker 1: Moss was here, there wasn't really you know, it's not a Hall.
Speaker 6: Of Fame drill anymore, though not yet yet. Drake, Drake's got a shot a j Brown, Drake.
Speaker 1: I mean go back to Terry Glenn on ty Law in the late nineties.
Speaker 6: Terry Glenn would have had to have practiced.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they had great players at both positions.
Speaker 1: It's never really at the same time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, would probably would be the one example though, Mike, that's good. Glenn in Law were probably as close to what you're seeing now.
Speaker 2: Mike Haynes, all right, come on, what do you how old you think I am? Yeh. But but back then, how much of practice? I guess we got to watch a lot of it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, but like I was only half joking, Glenn barely practiced, right, That's why you didn't see this as much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the back and forth chess match is cool because you know we had him on the micd up saying that he can't Gonzo's not going to let him run by him, right, And and so then you've seen Drake May and aj Brown adjust to throwing things more underneath him or back shoulders or whatever.
Speaker 6: Uncoverable. Yeah, every time they run a slant it's like.
Speaker 2: It should be should be uncoverable.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, well, I always say the only thing that can defend a slant route is a bad throw right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, depending on the coverage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like the the chess match there of Gonzales playing really off of AJ Brown a lot, it seems like it's not a ton of press and uh, them just realizing, all right, well, he's given you six seven yards a cushion. There's no way he's gonna be able to run by him. So we're just gonna adjust and we're gonna throw a lot of comebacks and slants and back shoulder throws and things like that. And AJ Brown has been able to get open onto some of those. So that's been really cool because he hasn't beaten Gonzo a single time over the top, but a lot of that I think is just the way that he's been playing him. So it's been fun to watch just them adjust to what Gonzalez is doing to him.
Speaker 2: How are we doing on the offensive line?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I mean I think it's like the whole team. It's you know, there are moments where there are good plays and good protection and good pockets, and then you know, there's one play today I felt like AVT got burned. And know it's always when the like does like a reaction, you're like, oh I think he's admitting you got beat there.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think there are moments with that.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, Lomu there got to work him, and I mean he's getting a lot of work. I think they got to develop him and get him ready.
Speaker 3: I mean, according to a friend of Paul's and all of us, Greg Bodard, he's going in.
Speaker 2: The wrong direction. Yeah, I mean, I would say dramatic.
Speaker 5: Wrong direction is dramatic.
Speaker 4: I would say that he's on the rookie roller coaster right now, is the way I would describe it with Lomu. You know, there's some good reps, there's some bad reps. I'd say it's it's very similar to to Will Campbell's Rookie camp. Honestly, as of right now, a lot of the things that I'm seeing with Lomu's inside moves that are giving him the most trouble. And you know, he's trying to set out and get out to the junction point on the speed rush and Brayden Swinson or Hugh Hutchins or whoever Elijah Ponder are, you know coming back up, you know, spinning or using that crossover hesitation move.
Speaker 5: Things like that.
Speaker 4: I think the offensive line as a whole has done pretty well with standard rushes, you know, and the defense is really just sending four guys and you kind of know where the four guys are coming from. It's been pretty good. When they add on rushers, if they blitz or bring a pressure, you know, that's where I start to see a little bit more disruption up front, stunts, picks, things like that. That's still I al would say, a big time work in progress, but there's been way too many free runners at Drake May for my liking. You know, safeties, corners, linebackers, whatever the case may be. You know, you can have a million different ways to plan for that and combat that. But that would be my one criticism right now. The offensive line. The run game has been a little bit up and down, inconsistent, I would say, but I don't really expect it to be dominant. When you have a good defensive line on the other side, I don't think you're going to dominate practice in that regard. But like I said, I think the the good news is is that when they know which four are coming and they're just kind of rushing for I don't see a ton of like one on one loss is happening up front right now with the starters. You know, low moves, the third tackle interior depth I think is a little bit of a question mark, you know, Ben Brown, I think it has been a little shaky.
Speaker 5: Does Andrew Rupsych take.
Speaker 6: That, James Hudson a little bit? I think at guard at guard, yeah, able mention that today again he did it yesterday a little bit. I wanted to ask you, as the resident Doug Maron disciple, what have your thoughts been on Jared Wilson in the middle.
Speaker 4: I think you will at the pivot, Yeah, I think that he's been okay. You know, I think the things that stand out to me with him is just how quick he is out of his stance. And you know when they block zone schemes or they have him get up to the second level or get out on a screen, you know, you can definitely see that pop him and Vera Tucker can get out, Like those guys are going to be able to get out in front of runs and screenplays. Now, those big guys in the middle, like when you get you know, a bigger Corey Dirton type of player three twenty three, twenty five. I still think that that's gonna be a little bit of a and for Wilson, uh in terms of handling that kind of size. I think he's been pretty good in one on ones in past protection, but you know, is he going to be able to really uproot those big dudes?
Speaker 5: Like that's going to be power?
Speaker 6: Yeah, power seems to be. You know, I haven't watched anywhere near as many reps as you guys have, because you know, I watched the skill guys, because it's all I care about. We watch you guys watch that stuff that you know doesn't a little bit always matter. But I noticed a problem at times with power, you know, in their athleticism is through the roof. And I've also thought that the snaps have been a little shaky here and there, that they've had a couple of exchange issues under center and gun shotgun snaps to me tend to go wide. I don't know, if you've got now maybe that might be something that Drake may want. He likes it, maybe on the right side or whatever for whatever reason. I don't know, but I just anecdotally, maybe you know, once or twice every practice, I know, just the quarterbacks reaching out to get the ball.
Speaker 2: It was going to be our kick returner on this team.
Speaker 1: I think I hope Kyle Williams to get a crack at it, you know, I think he's a you know, but they've liked the running back body, so.
Speaker 6: They have tried a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think we're anywhere close to settled on that. But whoever the third running back is on the team's going to return kickoffs and then the other guy you know, will see Chisholm, Kyle Williams like Terrell Jennings.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why I think Evan's right. Whereas contrast that, like literally they had about ten or twelve guys handling kicks two days ago. Today they did punts. Three guys. It's Marcus Jones, Romeo Dobbs, and Tomio Douglas.
Speaker 5: The Dobbs one's weird to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it doesn't strike me as the profile of that, not that they were working to I don't know if you guys watched that at all today, but Barringer was like spraying them, and I think he was doing it on purpose, you know, over to the sideline, Like they had some punt return attempts today with these guys were running you know, twenty five thirty thirty five yards to the side, patching a backward and they would gast you could see because it was only three of them. That's why it really stood out to me. I could because usually everybody's back there, you know, for those and you get a little time to rest. But it looked like all three of those guys were were working to catch those punts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tough if you like, you would think that some of those UDFA receivers would be in the mix for punt return but they also want to teach them covering punts or or a field goal protection or punt protection. Then you can't also be returning them in a practice like in a game, it's only one thing going on at once, but in a practice like you can't have everybody returning punts and then also have them work on covering punts like it's either one or the other. So that group has I feel like, kind of rotated a little bit.
Speaker 6: The material point. Yeah, all that that group, it does a lot of catching punts before practice. Yeah, and Chisholm, you know, did a good job of it in the preseason last year, right, Yeah, we had a couple of good Yeah, so I'm sure that when they get to the second half of a preseason game or two, they'll have plenty of options. But I just it stood out to me it's ten or twelve guys handling kickoffs, and now that's a little deceiving because you always have two guys back on the kickoff, and then there was only three today when they were doing punt return.
Speaker 1: It's like a shift of how they've changed the kickoff where you used to always have, like Bethel Johnson, like you had a guy he's gonna be a kickoff returner. It doesn't seem like and maybe the Patriots are unique that other teams do have specific kickoff returners, but it just kind of feels like somebody's got to win it, one of the lower running backs or lower wide receivers, like the job's there to be taken. But it doesn't seem like anybody has the inside edge or that the coaching staff is like, we want this guy. It's it's kind of an open competition that I don't ever.
Speaker 5: Remember, yeah, for this team for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean there's probably a handful of teams that have guys that are really good at it, you know, you know, at the tight ends or the guy on the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm biking on his name right now.
Speaker 4: I like those types of guys, but uh, you know, I think that the guys that maybe would be really good at it on this team are too valuable in other places that they don't want to risk them.
Speaker 6: Like I agree, I would like to see Henderson be that guy. Yeah, I think it, But I think of Ray Davis and you know, he's pretty good at it. He's pretty important. I mean they need you know, James cook Is is obviously their their lead guy, but like that position, we all know how volatile it is. They'll need Ray Davis and I think that they look at that and they say, you know, we like him as a kickoff return it too.
Speaker 5: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Dobb's getting some reps at punt return. Has he done enough at wide receiver yet this camp?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think he's getting better. Today wasn't a great day for him, but I think he's getting better by the day. I thought he had a really good practice yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he's one of those guys that doesn't you know, coming off the bus, you know, you wouldn't be He's not really big, he's not really fast, But I think as you get into games that he's gonna you know, there have been moments in practice when he's come through, usually in team period, where oh, nice catch. Like I always think he's got good hands, He's got big hands. He seems to be pretty reliable. It's probably why they have him.
Speaker 2: Good hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's really it's kind of like Booty in a way of like that's kind of his thing. I mean, I don't see him as the same player as Booty, but I think he's one of those guys that is a gamer and that you know. I mean, I'm hoping because yeah, it's been inconsistent.
Speaker 6: I think he's been pretty good. I thought he was a really slow start, and you know, I think Evan kept using the small sea concerned and I agreed with him. But I think the last couple of days today they weren't. It seemed like it was either a quick checkdown dump off or like a slant to Brown. Yeah, Like it didn't look like there was a lot of diversity to the passing game today when Drake May and the Stars were out there, and then there was one period right after those punt returns when they came back over for the first team period to close practice, he wasn't even in it, and I think it was because he was gassed. And then the two minute drill he was in and that was probably the worst throw that Drake made was to him. Yeah, that just kind of had no conviction in the throw and dirted it. But he was he was open coming, you know, coming inside.
Speaker 5: I continue to be small so concerned about Romeo Dods.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think it's been great. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 4: It's less so about anything that he's doing wrong. I just don't know if he's a natural fit inside the formation the way that they want him to play inside the formation, where a lot of that is a thinking man's game inside of reading leverage, reading man versus zone understanding, you know, how to get open against certain coverages. I don't know if that's necessarily his game. I think his game is at the catchpoint. I think his best part of his game is the strong hands, the decent sized frame, ability to box out at the catchpoint. You know, yesterday in sevens he runs a little skinny on Gonzales and gets inside position and yeah, you know, I mean seven on seven whatever, But like that, those are the types of throws that I see him excelling at when they put him inside and they're asking him to run the Edelman Welker stuff like that, that type of stuff, I just don't I don't see it as part of his game. So maybe they get to a point where they're, you know, realize his role and understand. But right now they're trying to kind of have him play the role that Diggs was playing last year. And I don't think that they're similar players, you know, I think Dobbs is much stiffer and much more of a linear athlete.
Speaker 6: I want to know who on the Bengo Who on the Bengo card had Paul being the most positive about any elements?
Speaker 3: So do we have a ways to go before we figure out this wide receiver room?
Speaker 2: No figured out?
Speaker 4: I yeah, Like I guess my and I know fred to like, you know, cover your ears for a second.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I'm going to take the next ten minutes off.
Speaker 4: I'm not really sure if I think Chisholm is necessary and it does.
Speaker 2: Make play And I mean against who got beautiful catchy in the end zone yesterday?
Speaker 5: Right that was the U catch Yeah against Marcella style.
Speaker 4: I think that, you know, maccollins has a specific role in this offense, and it might not be a large one, and it might not be uh you know, one that he's going to be super productive on because of the type of role that it is. But I know the role that he is going to play, uh you know. Kyle Williams like, well, we'll see, but I still think it's early to give up on a guy that I think has shown some ability and some flashes of talent. And then the other four guys are not going anywhere unless they trade Booty, you know, like a J. Brown, Romeo, Dobs, Pop Douglas and Kishon. Booty are going to be on the team unless they get it. Yeah, unless they get a great trade for Booty, then there he's going to be on the roster.
Speaker 2: Traded.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe they trade him, but yeah, I like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think they'll cut them, but I think they'll trade him.
Speaker 4: So I guess if that happens, and then maybe I guess. You know, Chisholm right now is like Pop a backup to Pop or a backup to mac collins right in like those types of roles. I just don't know if like you have the need there like I game day, like, what, what is he active?
Speaker 2: Like, we don't have the need for plays.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't think he'd be active on game day. But with Fred, I don't think he's going off the roster. I think they like him and I think they'll keep him as depth like in him and Kyle Williams, so I'm in much different skill sets, but I think they'll both be there for another year to develop.
Speaker 2: Be on the practice squad.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's fine. Yeah, I'm saying that he can't play.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying I think that he's just as redundant as some of these other guys that we're talking about, and I don't see the the role for him, Like Mac Collins is going to play in certain packages in certain situations of the game, and you see a specific way that they're trying to use him in these games, in these practices, you know, I just don't necessarily see that with chishm like the backup slot receiver.
Speaker 5: I guess the pop.
Speaker 1: I understand it. I think they're gonna keep him around though. I think they like him. I think they love the energy that he plays with and.
Speaker 5: They're going to keep all seven of them, like maybe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think there's any chance that Booty is on the team really well, I'm talking Chisholm man. No, but that's what I don't think. I just don't think there's any room unless someone gets hurt like that. That's my quale. My my qualifier is, you know, injuries change depth charts faster than anything, and if something would have happened to one of those top three guys, then they're gonna need them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I look to next year to where you have. I mean, Pop's going to be a free agent. Matt Collins is a free agent. Booty if he sticks a rounds a free agent.
Speaker 6: If you're Elliott Wolf, I think chism's here. I don't think he's going anywhere.
Speaker 3: If you're Elliott Wolf and you're shopping Booty, what's your pitch?
Speaker 2: How are you? How are you describing? He could be your number?
Speaker 5: Check out this Booty right here?
Speaker 3: No, like, you know, how are you making the case for Booty on another team?
Speaker 1: I am highlighting all of the reports from camp. I guess more in the beginning when everyone was like before.
Speaker 6: They yeah, not that he's not a physical player, that's just that was just a line of demarcation for production, not because because that's his game. Actually, he made a good catch back shoulder today, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, and he also had a little slantony car. You know.
Speaker 5: I just a back shoulder from Drake.
Speaker 1: I think he's he is what he is, and he's good at it. But at the end of the day, I think other guys are better. And you know, I just watching A J. Brown, It's like, do you need booty in your point on Kobe Minor, I have one.
Speaker 4: If somebody offers you something real for booty, I'm not saying don't take it. Like if they offer you a top one hundred pick or something like that, or it's a player for player trade, that makes a lot of sense. Maybe it's like an edge rusher from another team for Kayshaan Boody or something like that. I just really hate the idea of moving on for Kashan Boody with the report that he has with the quarterback.
Speaker 6: My major concern is Dobbs Booty. Yeah, Drake may exactly what Devon just talks. That's my one concern.
Speaker 4: I tried to learn lessons. I learned my lesson about Jakobe Myers and Juju Smith Schuster, and I don't think that there are similar players necessarily, but I think it's a similar situation where you have a bird in the hand, right like Kisehan Boody is the guy that Drake made trust, he's the guy that he has rapport with, and then you're trying to break in this shiny new toy and Romeo Dobbs and to Frankly, I don't think it has been like I don't think it's looked the same, you know, even today, Like I put the throw mostly on Drake may I think it was a bad throw that he made the Dobbs, but like one or two plays later he threw the exact same throw to Matt Collins and it was completed, and I just I keep seeing that happen. I keep seeing one throw to Romeo Dobbs that looks like he's it's a little bit weird, and then the very next play he throws one to Booty or Mac Collins or whoever, and it looks right, and.
Speaker 6: It's like and the other part of this is what you're expecting. So if Dobbs finishes, to see if they get rid of Booty, and Dobbs finishes the season with thirty five catches. That's a that's a like borderline disaster, like, so it can't be the same, Like that's what I mean. He had thirty three catches last year. If you bring in a guy for twenty million a year and that's all you're going to get for production, that's not good enough. Like they clearly want him to be the number two, And I would agree with you guys. I'm a little higher on the I think the arrow was going up a little bit more than you guys do. But I'm not arguing with what we've seen so far. The production has not necessarily been consistent.
Speaker 2: Why he's doing getting a little run at punt return like I don't know, No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean like full disclosion like the things that they do, and I don't I'm not watching as much on the seven on sevens, so I think a lot of the plays that Dobbs has made to me has been during seven on seven periods.
Speaker 5: But I'm watching the big Goal.
Speaker 6: I don't really even chart seven on seven, so I'm not talking about that at all.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I don't really see him making as many plays in the life's like.
Speaker 6: No, that's why I said, I think you guys are right in terms of production. I yeah, I would agree with you.
Speaker 4: I I that would be My concern is like not necessarily that you're going to give the opportunities to Booty early on in the season, but like when you get to let's say Halloween, if it's still not clicking with Romeo Dobbs, but you have Kishon Boody, who you know it clicks with, Like at that point you might need to have a hard conversation and you know, readjust what you're thinking here. And I'm willing to give Dobbs some time to figure it out. But trading Booty now, you're really like you're all in on this Romeo Dobbs thing working And what's your what's your plan?
Speaker 5: B if it doesn't work?
Speaker 2: Right? All right, what's to talk about?
Speaker 3: Eight five five Pats five hundred is the hotline podcast at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 2: Is the email address. Let's open her up?
Speaker 6: Just just looking up jobs and stats. He did have fifteen punt returns last year. Oh okay, so so it's not like I mean he's that's really all that he's had as a punt returner. It was twenty five for Green Bay at fifteen for ninety four yards. Uh so he only averaged six point three yards, which is, you know, pretty.
Speaker 2: Pretty low fifteen in the season.
Speaker 6: But fifteen punt returns. It's not like he's never done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh no, back up, Like I said, safe hands, maybe you want them one, but I agree with it kind of thing.
Speaker 6: The like doesn't really have the suddenness, the quickness, you know, the explosiveness to me that would lend itself to maybe they just like his hands and decision making.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's one more thing though too is I was thinking more about you know, like talk about who guys made catches against and like, And it's totally fair that Chisholm has not gone a lot with the ones, but he's done more than Kyle Williams has. Like Kyle Williams isn't doing anything against the twos, you know, like he's.
Speaker 6: You don't think Kyle Williams has made catches against.
Speaker 1: The twos, not to the kime. I have seen Chistem.
Speaker 6: I think he's an outside guy. He doesn't get anywhere near the volume. It's like booty.
Speaker 1: That's fair, but I just feel like it's more consistency with Chisham, you know, what I mean, Like the three I think that Kyle Williams is had, so I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I just think it's the difference in the catches. They're like three passes that he's catching and you're trying to get the ball downfield, you know, down splitting the safeties on a deep post to Kyle Williams today, that's not going to be as high percentage of play, right, But they're both just with the twos, So like until that changes, I'm not really going to put me to one of them on my radar.
Speaker 5: I just have more.
Speaker 4: I guess there's this more investment in Kyle Williams, and I think that his skill sets just different. I think he is speed and his ability to get open you know deep is just like who else on the team really has that dimension to their game.
Speaker 6: And I just want to be fair, Like to Mario Douglas has caught three times as many passes as A J. Brown, Like, does that mean he's been more consistent than Brown? No, it's just like the plays that he bits, he's like little five yard shallow crosses. He's going to catch a million passes.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, I mean, i'd say Pop's been a little deeper than that though, too.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think I know, but I'm just saying, because you catch all of those passes, like especially if if you took out like like the real quick hitters to Brown, like when Brown goes downfield. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it hasn't been anywhere near as consistent as when he's just like those little slants.
Speaker 1: That you catch you No, I know, I getually get. I get what you're saying. The two they're playing two different positions, and the volume is a thing. But like you know, to Fred's point, like the guy just makes place, and like I've watched enough practices to note that some guys just don't make place. They never show up, they never catch balls. Whether they're a slock gy or anything, I don't see. Like I don't see these plays.
Speaker 6: I just don't.
Speaker 4: The one the one thing that I will give to them, the high corner out in the red zone is like he's money on them.
Speaker 6: He's caught that two or three times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he did it all summer last year too. And for a smaller guy like he does get up and get to the top, I.
Speaker 6: Watch him get locked up in the middle in those red zone drills a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I'm with you, Paul. I.
Speaker 4: I just I feel like we're we're doing gymnastics to try to get all seven of these guys on the roster, and I'm not sure that we're not overrating some of them.
Speaker 5: And maybe Kyle Williams is in that category. Two.
Speaker 4: I just you're two as a guy that was a top seventy five pick just a year ago, and as a skill set that I think would really help this team. I just am less inclined to give up on that as quickly.
Speaker 6: And Mike, I just want to say, just to defend myself on this, I don't think Chisholm should go anywhere. I think you should be on the team. Like he's everything that you want in one of those sort of back end five to six receiver whatever. He's going to do whatever you need him to do, right, and he has when given the opportunities. He looks the part. So I'm not telling you that I haven't seen anything from him, So please don't misunderstand. I just haven't seen as much.
Speaker 1: My brain where I'm not even I'm just saying where my brain is that is, can he do it with? You know, he's been consistent. He did the same stuff last summer. He caught a bunch of passes with the twos, and he's you know, gets in in the late in the preseason game and he's all over the place and he's breaking tackles and it's against the twos. But again, like I've seen guys that show up and do nothing.
Speaker 6: But you know, I've seen guys do that for a hundred years and not be NFL players. Yeah, and I'm just until I see it change. And by the way, I put Kyle Williams in this same spot. Yeah, he caught every pass. He had ten catches last year and like three touchdowns. Like I could sit there and say the same thing about Kyle Willams, I don't because until he consistently does it with Drake May, I'm not gonna put him on my radar as being a key part of the offense.
Speaker 4: I just think that there's a point in time where I think I wonder if they feel like they need to get a look at Chism with the ones because Pop Douglas has just been such as he's been in the slot all summer and at some point you have to say, we know Pop Doz is gonna be here, He's gonna play, And if.
Speaker 6: They were thinking that way, don't you think it would happen?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: But instead, like I don't really know how much more I have to glean about e Ft and Chisholm going up against backup slot corners and things like that. With Tommy DeVito, like this two summers in a row that I've seen him be able to handle that of play until I see it against starters on starters and he's beating Marcus Jones, or he's beaten Gonzales, or he's beaten Carlon Davis. When he comes back, It's just hard to tell if like there's another level there for him.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm trying to figure out, Like how do you know, Paul, Like how do you know that.
Speaker 2: You know Jeremy Gallon?
Speaker 1: You know he's he's maybe he was doing the same thing, you know, and and you're dismissive with him, But then like another guy like Julian Edelman, you're dismissed, But at what point you.
Speaker 6: Got a little tear killing Jeremy Gallon?
Speaker 1: But at what points he said this guy might be more than this. That's all. That's all I'm trying to understand because what more can he do? Right now? Gets in there, he catches passes with it.
Speaker 5: Two, he seems like he's.
Speaker 2: In the right spot.
Speaker 6: He brings but energy they seem to really Yeah, I just I think he's a one trick pony. Like that's it.
Speaker 5: I just wish you like Edelman to me when he you know, so much more dynamic.
Speaker 4: Everybody remembers the punt return you know, in the preseason as like sort of the coming out party, like that was like an eighty yard punt return. Like I like, I just don't see Chisholm having that kind of even again, whoever was on the field that night for the other team aside like having that kind of dynamic movement like that kind of thing.
Speaker 6: I just watched Edelman, and believe me, I was not a believer right away in Edelman. So you're absolutely right to call me out on it because you know the kind of guys I don't like Mike so so Tim Dwight, but he's an elite athlete. That's a different that's a different animal altogether. That's like saying I don't like white corners, but you know, Kooper Gene, I don't have a spot for it. You know, like this is an elite athlete there.
Speaker 2: With Edelman.
Speaker 6: Like I, you know, I just miss almost everything I see in a preseason game, despite the fact that I'll be in the balls, discount of furniture studios and make sure you're tuning into that providing analysis.
Speaker 2: Don't discount what you see what.
Speaker 6: So like, I think Chisholm had a couple of good punt returns. I just like, it's so crazy. You don't know who's out there. Guys that are out there in combinations of you know that they made me ever even took a rep covering a punt before, so it can get that can happen. But I just looked at the explosiveness that Edelman had and you were like, if this guy could learn how to play receiver, it might be something there, Like you could see an athleticism that I don't see with Chisholm.
Speaker 2: No, I I hear that for sure.
Speaker 1: I just you know, that's what the hard part is because I mean I think of Jalen Polk, who just retired.
Speaker 6: I also didn't see anything in him.
Speaker 1: Had a very active training camp.
Speaker 6: Was I mean the five yard pass.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I mean catching passes, you know, left and right. But you know that's what's just it's hard because again I see guys who do nothing and so it's like it's easy, you know, but a guy who just like is it or is he just the superstar of the JV team and that's all he's ever going to be?
Speaker 2: And there are players like that.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that, I'm like Johnny Chisholm's going to be the superstar kind of a I just don't want to make a mistake on somebody that might have some potential if you got to.
Speaker 6: If we're going to give if we're going to give Chis a chance, who we taken off the field, that's my point is who is he better?
Speaker 5: Then he's not better than any of the four guys.
Speaker 6: So you have that down on Pop Douglas now that now he's better than us, I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying Pop's great and Chisho might be great too.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's no there's nothing I can say other than if someone's got hurt, to be glad you have them and you can't go into a team building like that cut him. I'm just saying, you know, again, I'm not trying to defend him.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to find.
Speaker 4: I say this one last thing, Braxton Burials, Riley McCarran, Austin Carr like, and then there's one Edelman.
Speaker 6: Edelman and welcome and everybody just you know, says, well, that's who he's going to be.
Speaker 4: But those guys came out of nowhere similarly, Like it's the same story. It's just one out of ten works out.
Speaker 6: And that's my point. That's the odds that this is the one.
Speaker 5: Very low ten percent.
Speaker 4: But I would just say to you, like I I don't love the idea of building an offense for Drake May, specifically out of little option routes from the slot, Like I I this is a guy that, like he's not Tom Brady, Like he's not gonna be picking a part underneath coverage and doing that sort of thing that's not his his game, that's not the best part of his game. So like guys like Booty and guys like Kyle Williams, and I would say even Mac Collins to an extent that get down the field and win the ball down the field, like that's those are the types of guys I want to surround Drake May with.
Speaker 2: Just get first downs.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, I know they really struggled to do that last year.
Speaker 5: Like we're gonna just build an offense like that's not to the quarterback strength.
Speaker 2: And now I think you're getting a little dramatic.
Speaker 5: Why am I getting dramatic?
Speaker 2: What can I build an off an?
Speaker 6: It's okay for you to get dramatic, but we can't.
Speaker 5: Is that he's going to be great?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just said, God forbid, we want to get first out. It's not a dramatic sarcastic.
Speaker 2: No, I do it with a smile on my face.
Speaker 6: So Evan just said, well, we're gonna build with a smile on his face.
Speaker 2: He's upset.
Speaker 5: I'm not upset.
Speaker 2: I just like just getting up just a little bit, just a little bit, just.
Speaker 5: Like we want to throw five yard passes, but Drake, like.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm sometimes when you need three yards, five yard pass is a good pass.
Speaker 5: Sure, but I would rather him throw the ball down the field.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, I mean, you know, zero blitz might be nice to somebody.
Speaker 6: Can we don't want a forty yard pass someone.
Speaker 2: We only need.
Speaker 4: Maybe accurate downfield passer in the league. But let's make an offense out of five yard passes. That sounds like a great.
Speaker 2: All right, good stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 6: But I understand what Mike is talking about, Like the guy has done nothing wrong and.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about it. I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't get rid of No, yeah, you're not taking it seriously, Mike is.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of knows. I am with my I see him doing things, you know, and it's like, okay.
Speaker 6: I just doing things.
Speaker 2: He's biting when he's a puppy. Can he become a dog?
Speaker 6: And I'm not necessarily convinced on Kyle Williams either.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the next topic. I was gonna, you know, bring I know he was hurt, and I don't want to, you know, keep dock him because he's had a quiet couple of days. But you know, we'd like to like to see some of that speed. I'd like to see something there that, you know, to Evan's point of an element that works with the drake my offense, that they might they might be missing with that downsfield speed because I don't we haven't really seen that by itself during camp.
Speaker 3: All right, Uh to the phones. We go past five hundred herms in d C. What's up herm Hey.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 8: Gentlemen?
Speaker 1: Hey Ham, you know what day nine.
Speaker 9: To go, So don't let him.
Speaker 10: Don't let him message you, Mike.
Speaker 2: And but two key.
Speaker 10: Questions for you guys. I'm big on Gabe Agis and Elil Raridan And obviously I wanted to I wanted to ask you guys, how give actress look?
Speaker 9: But it looked like he didn't do much.
Speaker 10: So I want to shift to Ela Radin for a second because to me, I feel like the former basketball players that transitions played tight end. They almost like foolproof in my opinion. So my first question to you was how did I know it's super early? Right, I'll get it, But how did Ela rared it look so far? And most second question is specifically to spread, when will your team give us a look of the new facility your social media team stuff? And I take up here and listen.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll answer the second question first. That's coming up. We've actually got a really long inside look at the training center coming out. It'll coincide with the ribbon cutting which is coming up about a week.
Speaker 6: I actually think we were doing a lot of work on that today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so your your question will be answered very soon. And I think you're going to be really happy. You're going to see everything. So I can't wait for that. I can't wait to get that out there.
Speaker 2: Rare at it? What do you guys think?
Speaker 5: Maybe a little.
Speaker 4: Quieter the last couple of days he started really really hot. But I think him and Tanna Arkin are here and are going to be a part of the offense. I would maybe just pump the brakes a little bit on Eli Reard and having great production. It's pretty rare at that position to have great, great production, nice right out of the shoot. So you know, I see people on Twitter like saying, you know, he reminds them of like Colston Lovelin, who had like fifty catches for seven hundred year.
Speaker 2: It was like the ninth pick of the draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's just I'm not trying to tease. I just just I would just say that, you know, I think there's a skill set there and they're going to work with him. But I wouldn't be blown away by the production just yet.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've seen big charge, We've seen a couple of rookie tight ends that did nothing back in twenty twenty. Uh you know, so it's a low bar, but those guys seem involved and it's hard, you know, especially Arkin to feel like, you know, he's going to get opportunity to be a blocking tight end maybe.
Speaker 2: Pa see is he the of the camp?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just role specific.
Speaker 4: But because there's a role for him without Julian Hill, then like he's gonna I think he's making the team. Uh maybe they could, they could try to stash him on the practice squad, but I think he probably makes the roster. But okay, you know he's he's out there a lot on first down, even with Drake, you know, like starting offense first down, playing on why, playing the wing a little bit, playing in the backfield some when Gilliam's not out there.
Speaker 6: Very spellin today from the unfortunately run away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a really good blocker. He was in college and I think it's so far it's translated.
Speaker 1: It was interesting hearing from him yesterday too, just acknowledging like you know, I'm not very fast, you know, he's like a it's it, but he knows how to play around those things and use his physicality. So yeah, football is a contact Yeah, but it's easy to see maybe Henry and Arkin will be active and maybe raredan would be inactive kind of thing, you know, if they don't find a game day spot for him. But I think those three guys, I mean, they talked about going out and getting another tight end, and I mean I don't know if they're going to do it. Yeah, that'll tell you how they feel about Arkin if they go out and get you know, one of these veterans, maybe to go in and do what he does. But when you got young legs and young mentality and you're ready to go out there and kill somebody, it might be the right fit.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to Connecticut, Nate. We can hear you.
Speaker 1: All right, what's up? What I got two questions for you guys today. A lot of.
Speaker 12: Focus on the offense and defense, but we haven't heard much about Borgallis. I just want to know how he's doing, how the kicking kicking going. Doesn't he have any competitions good?
Speaker 2: According to Alex Barth, I think he's only missed one kick. Oh okay, I.
Speaker 6: Think, but he's been nails.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then he hit that fifty three yard today. He made all that.
Speaker 4: He made every kick, So I think as of Saturday he was twenty one of twenty three I don't think they did any kicking yesterday.
Speaker 6: Simulated the kicks yesterday and he went seven for seven today.
Speaker 5: So you do the math.
Speaker 2: Thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we posted our wrap video not you know, we wrapped up practice.
Speaker 13: Not.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't put out rap video, Paul, but we did.
Speaker 1: I talked about him. I brought him up and said, I mean, it's you've had so many kicker competitions. You've had rookie kickers come in here and the ball goes sideways on them to not have any question the port.
Speaker 6: With helicopters.
Speaker 2: So just to be clear, that fifty three yard was good at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Two minute warnings. So I mean the boys were doing a good breakdown. I mean, do your do your little breakdown of it. It felt like they, you know, stopped the drill.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I wanted to ask the ball noer when when Drake May and the first offense completed a pass I think it was to Hollands. They rushed to the line. The clock was running, They got they got over the ball and they let about I'd say about ten ten or so seconds off the clock took their time milting down to four seconds, spiked the ball Boor Galis comes out and kicks the field goal. Then Tommy DeVito comes out with the twos or should I call that Efton Chisholm's.
Speaker 1: Group came out, thank you and ran.
Speaker 6: Now that is what you did.
Speaker 2: That is what you did.
Speaker 6: That was the example of my background here. So Tommy DeVito came out with the twos. They had a similar kind of thing one oh five left, you know, and moved their way down the field and completed a pass in a similar spot of the field actually similar distance for a field goal, and they ran to the line and spiked it immediately with ten seconds left. I was wondering. I thought it was weird, why the change.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a little odd too. I don't know, I have no idea what they were telling him or whatever, but I thought it was a little strange too. I thought they could have ran one more play after he completed the past to Hollins is right in the middle of the field, so it was like pretty easy get the ball down. The spiked it instantly. I think they probably would have had eight or nine seconds left and maybe you can run one more quick out or something like that, just to get at.
Speaker 6: I like these little things and I like to find out, you know, like I thought, what goes on behind the you know, goes into it.
Speaker 2: You can ask He'll tell you probably, Yeah, I think he would.
Speaker 6: And this is one thing that is sort of one minor, minor drawback for the being in the new facility is that's the thing I would have asked him about on a Monday when he comes in, and I would just I would stop him and I would say, hey, you did this this time that time. But I wouldn't like, it's not waste.
Speaker 4: Everybody's looking way too much into He might just say it just happened to Mike.
Speaker 1: Talk to you for a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 6: And Nate made both field goals. By the way, you know at the end of those drills.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's is Matthews and misery. Does that mean Missura? What's up?
Speaker 3: Matthew? Matthew, Matthew and misery. No, okay, he said misery, He said misery. Isn't there that the movie Misery with James conn That was the name of the.
Speaker 2: Town, right, Misery.
Speaker 6: That was the name of the book.
Speaker 2: It was the name of the book. But was the town.
Speaker 1: Great misery?
Speaker 6: Misery?
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's she breaks his legs.
Speaker 6: Maybe that book was took maybe it did take place in Misery.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I thought it was the character's name. Oh really, maybe that was a really good movie.
Speaker 2: It was disturbing, you know.
Speaker 1: James kneven King novel.
Speaker 6: So maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was a book, but maybe it is.
Speaker 14: Miser is the name of the character, Misery chest That's what I saw, Okay, and will It says it was an fictional town of Sidewinder.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brandon's and Syracuse. What's up, Brandon, Brandon?
Speaker 5: I think we might be having some trouble with those.
Speaker 2: Brand. What's happening? Oh?
Speaker 13: Nothing too much?
Speaker 2: Give me just one second, Okay, just call you know.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry we caught you at a bad time.
Speaker 13: I was no, it's.
Speaker 3: Okay, remember the flush. Okay, let's go to Patty and aga on. What's up Patty?
Speaker 2: I think that might be your first Patty, Patty, save us. I'm here, Okay, hear me?
Speaker 15: Yes, Okay, So I just had a question about the practice on Saturday, specific plate because I was I was there. I took into practice with one of my favorite pythons, Chris, with the t I a n and my girls and a lot of people, my guy Zach from Connecticut who emails in. But the long play, the long pass that draked me through to Kyle Williams, that happened right in front of me, And I know, like I heard a lot of a lot of the media guys say that it looked like Williams didn't fight for the ball. But when I saw him get behind the defense and he had like at least two to three steps on him, I felt like the ball came out of May's hands a little bit spunky, because the ball duffed its way down the field and like Williams had to like come back for it. And I don't know, I just thought I felt like he had a bad rap on that. And I wanted to see if any of you guys like saw that play and kind of saw the same thing that I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw it. I thought it was a little bit underthrown. Now, could you argue that, you know, Keisehan Boudi had an underthrown pass today from the veto that he went up and got. But if you're expecting Kyle Williams to be that kind of player, I don't think that's really his game. So I would say that I'd probably put a little bit more of that on the throw than it would be on Kyle Williams. Could he be a tracked a little bit better and try to go up for it.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But that's what he's saying. Did Kyle Williams get a bad rap on that one?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 5: Maybe? If I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what other people said about it, but I I would say I put that more on the throw than on the receiver, just because you have to like, that's not the receiver's strength. Like if that was AJ Brown, I would expect J Brown to go up and get the ball.
Speaker 3: I think this whole wide receiver discussion kind of dovetails into what we were talking about before. We've kind of seen what we're going to see with Patriots versus Patriots. We need to see these guys against different competition, different skill you don't know necessarily what play is coming some of the time, and see how they do. And it'll be up to McDaniel's and everybody to figure out the mix in terms of reps so that they can get good looks for everybody.
Speaker 4: That's been the hardest part. Mc collins and Kyle Williams, Neft and Chisholm are repping with the Dutes because there's no opportunity right there to rep with the ones.
Speaker 5: Like the ones.
Speaker 4: They got four guys over there with Brown and Dobbs and Pop Douglas, and then Booty mixes in with the ones, and then you get to the twos, and that's when even Matt Collins, who's a veteran in this league and you know, played really well for them last year, he's wrapping against the twos.
Speaker 5: For the most part. It's just an opportunity thing, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Thanks Patty.
Speaker 1: I called from Aria.
Speaker 2: Ari I do like you like Aria. I do like Ari in Vegas.
Speaker 4: No, Aria, I do like Aria, but it's like kind of a limited menu, like you know, like the other places in the North End, there's like fifty kinds of pastas, you know, like you can literally order anything.
Speaker 5: Italian. Aria is like a little bit more.
Speaker 2: I haven't eaten in the North End in probably twenty five years.
Speaker 4: I haven't eaten the North End in probably three days, So yeah, I would say that would be my It's really good and it's pretty swanky in there, but it's a little some menu is a little tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well swanky for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, Aria is in New York. What's going on? Aria?
Speaker 7: How are we doing today? Okay, right, all right, First of all, I got to give you guys a compliment. The show's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, thank you.
Speaker 7: Curious. I'm watching you guys right now. The guy am I right? I'm sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the names. Is wearing a Patriots merch shirt? Where's your guys merch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question. Yeah, I didn't. I don't have merch on today.
Speaker 7: I represent We just message you guys, all right, my my, My real question is like this, there there was definitely locker room issues with aj Brown last year. That is undoubtedly. Uh, that was undoubtedly the case. There's a lot of speculation and then there are things that we actually know now depending on what that info actually is, that would sort of indicate if he's going to be a locker room problem in New England or not. So if it was a Jalen Hurts issue, or if it was a coaching issue, then in New England that issue shouldn't be there if we do things correctly. My question is they're based on available info, is there a solid case to be made? That these issues won't be happening in New England.
Speaker 2: I would say, not this year. Not this year.
Speaker 7: What makes you think so?
Speaker 2: It's just the way that these things are.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of the players that have come in in the past, like Randy Moss who had that reputation for being disgruntled or whatever, that first year is kind of the honeymoon. You know, he's trying to reverse that, you know, persona that's been put on them, and these guys are usually in their best behavior that first year.
Speaker 2: Now after that, who knows.
Speaker 6: Like he clearly wanted out. He got out and he went to a place where he's told everybody that he's always wanted to be right. So with the head coach, I think it's reasonable to suggest what Fred said is probably going to happen. It's going to be a honeymoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And of the quarterback who seems more than willing to throw in the ball.
Speaker 6: A lot, right, I don't know if he'll get any more than he did in Philly in terms of targets, but he's gonna like the guy that's throwing the ball more than he did in Philly because he didn't like him. Yeah, I just for whatever happened between the two. They had a falling out.
Speaker 3: I just I just I keep saying this. You know about last year watching the Eagles and their offense, it just always seemed to me that there was a portion of the game like, Okay, now it's time to go to A. J.
Speaker 6: Brown.
Speaker 3: It just didn't seem like there was a flow to the offense when it came to him. It was almost like forced, we got to keep AJ happy, so let's do.
Speaker 5: It poorly coordinated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just the impression.
Speaker 6: I think that's I think that's more than reasonable to expect.
Speaker 4: I have not for one second about AJ Brown.
Speaker 6: I see how you do it now, just like jumped right on board, not even first.
Speaker 7: I felt also like the run game was killed due to the fact that they didn't really have that strong of a deep. You know, they didn't have a double deep throughout the downfield. I felt like it made covering the run much easier for defenses across the league.
Speaker 3: It's possible, but Drake led the league in downfield, right, So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Oh, so that that so you say you think that A J. Brown is going to be the deep threat in New England? Who do you think is going to be the you know, sort of running the slot routes or buck nooks.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think between Kyle Williams and a J.
Speaker 3: Brown that you know, should be your deep and then you've got Pop Douglas over the middle. Hollins can go over the middle, Dobbs can go over the middle. So I don't think you're going to see, like in the past, Troy Brown, Julian Edelman, Wes Welker type of slot guy who gets one hundred catches primarily out of the slot. But you're going to see a combination of guys going over the middle. And I think you're going to see a J. Brown go over the middle a little bit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't qualify a J. Brown as their deep threat. I think he's going to be their everything threat. Yeah, you know when he's going to be the volume guy. When the other Christian Gonzalez goes to him, then it should be open season for the other guys.
Speaker 2: That's what your hope.
Speaker 6: And I think that he might be right about the running game. That could have a trickle down on the running game if there's less guys in the box.
Speaker 2: I have to play a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I think that's what's making people like me excited is that you can see where the variety of this offense is coming from, especially now with Gilliam who's going to help that running game, the offensive line, who seems like they're going to be better than they've been in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Like Josh McDaniels has a lot to work with here.
Speaker 4: There's definitely more variety and more styles of play that they can move the ball with. And last year, last year they got into a three receiver eleven personnel kind of that was sort of their offense for really down the stretch and for the most of the season. And part of that is because Drake's obviously really good in that sort of offense. But you know, their ability to go to tight end, go heavy with the full back, that package that they've been running with Brown, Hollands, Gilliam, Ark and Henry or you know running back or whatever like that. Those like heavy, big personnel groupings have been really effective. You know, goal line, red zone type of stuff have been really fun to watch the different things that they can do out of those looks. So they they definitely have more change ups. I would say this year, it's.
Speaker 2: Just about execution. Cameron's in Kentucky. What's up? Cameron? Cameraon?
Speaker 9: What's going on?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: You got it? Whoa you do that? You started out so strong? And then oh well, Brandon is in Casanovia, New York.
Speaker 5: Got to click it.
Speaker 2: Brandon, you're there.
Speaker 13: I I cut off the first time. I was trying to hook up my metaglasses, and of course they weren't working for me.
Speaker 2: How do you like your meta glasses?
Speaker 13: By the way, they're phenomenal. I use them while I'm at work. I do bodywork on vehicles here and and I have them on listening to you guys while I'm doing work.
Speaker 2: Nice. Do you use the camera feature and all that? Oh?
Speaker 11: I do? Yeah.
Speaker 13: I used to see some of the videos I've taken riding my motorcycle. Everybody loves watching them.
Speaker 2: Nice, you put it on YouTube.
Speaker 8: You can take.
Speaker 13: Sometimes. I've had a little TikTok that I've done and kind of done little small videos and stuff I done ithing too serious, just for fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I got a pair of them.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, Oh cool, I'm nice. Yeah, No, they're really well, they're pretty. I mean, they're smart glasses. So they say, but they have their quirks.
Speaker 3: I tried out the the translation the language translations pretty cool.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, how do you think of that? Has it been pretty effective?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, like I don't get to use it a lot, but I'm learning how to use it so that when we go to Munich, maybe I'll I'll use it extensively.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, that's awesome. Yeah, So I had I had one of the callers already answered kind of one of my questions about A. J. Brown in the in the you know, locker room, uh or other you guys would think that maybe how he's doing. So I have the same feeling too that he might be okay, like you said at the honeymoon, you know year, this year, you know this year. So that's fine. I'm hoping it's not going to be anything more than just that, but you never know. My second thing is this was just kind of a theory, you know, after I saw a video of Matt Collins working out.
Speaker 9: He looked massive.
Speaker 13: He looked like tight end massive guy. Would you guys have any would you guys have any objections if we saw him at a tight end position or does he seem like he's not that kind of a guy.
Speaker 2: Why are you shrinking away from that?
Speaker 6: Gets angry?
Speaker 1: I would, I would act. I just think he's gonna play in the slot. He's going to do some blocking, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't think they're going to put him hand in the dirt. You know, have to work.
Speaker 3: I've heard I've heard this question a lot, Brandon, You're not the only person who's brought up.
Speaker 2: Matt Collins does the tight end. But it really rankles.
Speaker 6: That's why I was chunking away. He'd be a really small tight end.
Speaker 4: Thanks, brand doesn't rankle my feathers at all. Okay, I've moved on.
Speaker 2: I mean he's so what does that mean?
Speaker 1: To twenty one? I mean that's that's.
Speaker 6: A small tight end.
Speaker 5: If that's what we want to.
Speaker 1: Do, then I think to forty is probably like small, like a move tight end. That's like the bottom line.
Speaker 2: You gotta be over to forty.
Speaker 6: I mean, what's what's uh, tanner arcan like to sixty.
Speaker 5: To sixty five?
Speaker 6: Right, forty forty, that's a blocking tight end.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna put the two hundred and twenty pound guy in line.
Speaker 1: He's gonna thrown his helmet too. I don't know if you guys caught that yesterday.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, caught a lot of things from him. Actually he's a colorful sort.
Speaker 4: He said, did we have two callers calling in about aj Brown?
Speaker 5: Like locker room? Any of you thought about that for any No, No, I.
Speaker 6: Think Fred answered that question.
Speaker 4: Not even it has not even been a thought in my mind. But maybe I just didn't know too deep in the weeds here.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was kind of surprised Moss like it kind of sideways with Moss. But I know there are you know, Bill was here, There are send you any circumstances, maybe a little bit, but an older receiver like going off the reservation like that, Like I don't know. I just think like he only has so many more bites at the apple, and it's like, you're not gonna shoot your way out of here at thirty two.
Speaker 2: Fred's got it and then get another patriot.
Speaker 6: I don't have any concern for twenty twenty six whatever, this what years? I don't have any concern for this year. But Fred's right, like all bets are off moving forward. Those guys generally find something to be aggrieved by, and that happened to Moss. It happened to Dylan, Like they come in and they have problems elsewhere, and they're on their best behavior and they go through the honeymoon period. I think it's why Stefan Diggs is not a Patriot anymore. Quite frankly, you got the honeymoon year out of them. Let's cut ties, yeah, don't push it, yeah, because I think generally something happens.
Speaker 1: What's the contract switch for him next year?
Speaker 6: He's under contract next yeah, but is it.
Speaker 5: For three more manageable next year? And it should probably wide receiver one money.
Speaker 6: I mean next year is the end of the guaranteed money? Or is this year the end of the guarantee year?
Speaker 4: But so like I mean next year, like, he's getting paid like a top ten receiver in football, and if he produces like a top ten receiver in football, then it's it's no problem. But there's no discount, Like it's.
Speaker 6: Not like he's no, he's well paid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, there's three years left on the deal.
Speaker 4: It's a funky contract because the Eagles and the void years and all the craziness with Howie Roseman. So the contract voids and that's where you start to get into some of the cap problems. With it because it has the void years on and then the debt the money is kicked down the road, and then it's like a fifty million dollar cap charge if you get stuck with the contract expiring.
Speaker 5: So you don't want that to happen.
Speaker 4: So whether they restructure it or whatever at some point would be my guest to get the language a little bit more Patriot friendly. But overall the contract is two more years basically of real money.
Speaker 2: Okay, boy, that first hour went by really quick. Let's let's take a break. We'll catch our breath. We'll get more emails and calls right after.
Speaker 1: Come.
Speaker 11: Welcome our newest restaurant additions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu, exciting cocktails and runch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe.
Speaker 1: Craving the classics.
Speaker 2: Chick fil A makes it.
Speaker 11: Easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carry out.
Speaker 2: And dine in options.
Speaker 11: Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers of to earn rewards every time a visit Patriot Place.
Speaker 2: Shop dine enjoy.
Speaker 16: The heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a Samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, with the real power move having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new power move.
Speaker 17: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. Draftking Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 18: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five gnitwork. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at brizon dot com or at your nearest store for new customers. Thirty dollars per lin incodes autopa and switch discount additional taxi fees. In terms ply unlimited data is retrid get to on device smart fun usage to messive data roaming at twog speeds.
Speaker 2: If you're gone to play the game boy, you gotta learn to play it right. Draft Kings is all about responsible game. It's more fun when it's for fun, So played responsibly.
Speaker 6: Draft Kings, the Crown is your scambling Probably call twenty one plus.
Speaker 1: Agent eligibility varies my jurisdiction. Ready to the Patriots Training camcast presented by New Balance. We are here to break down what dare we paull five Day five? I wasn't here, Yes, you.
Speaker 6: Miss us one practice and he loses.
Speaker 1: Can I lost track? But we also here introduce Jack Webb. It's going to be joining us this year. Everybody, Paul and I pre and postgame show and Jack, you're gonna be taking over the hosting duties. Welcome.
Speaker 19: I am fired up. Two quick lessons I gotta learn from day sunscreen. How about that little sunscreen? And then I got to follow Polly's footsteps the towel genius. Luckily Fred hooked me up with the napkins. So I'm trying to wipe the sweat here as we go. But it's a pleasure to be here. I'm really fired up by the season. If we have your back for another year. You're adding the seat cushions too. Make sure you make sure you're behind taking care of it.
Speaker 2: And I need that.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's pretty flat. So I know everybody probably thought we had a player on for our say Jack, play play a little football you Maane, I.
Speaker 19: Guess shorter arms and Will Campbell. Guys, it was, it was, it was. It was a no for me from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: We'll get the full scouting report on Jack before we get into the first preseason game in a couple of weeks. But guys, we did have a practice here today and you know, you guys saw yesterday did a great job breaking down, Drake May raining bombs in the red zone. They were a little bit more in the middle of the field this this week or today, I should say. Mike Rabel said they were doing a call it which seemed like situational football, we know, going through the downs. But overall, I thought there were a few plays but it seems like things are a little bit There were sloppy to Paul, there was interceptions. There were some balls on the.
Speaker 6: Ground here, and I thought it was a little more even today. I thought the defense made some disruptive plays as well. I thought there was some immediate pressures. I didn't know about the tempo of the actual plays, how they were running today. I thought they were a little bit more live yesterday than they were today. But you know, Drake May continues to throw the ball reasonably well, I think, and then you're starting to see I think Rotemeo Dobbs show up a little bit more. You had a little bit less from some of the other guys today, so I thought, you know, you had to. You mentioned the interceptions, so you had one for May, one for Tommy DeVito. But overall I thought it was a little bit back and forth today for the offense and defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I felt a little bit like the dog days of training camp are here and guys have been passed three straight days and it's.
Speaker 5: Hot and the day off tomorrow.
Speaker 4: So maybe a little bit more uh, sloppiness today, especially from the offense. The balls on the ground a couple of times with a few fumbles and the interceptions that you guys mentioned. Uh, Jackie, you've played offensive line, so you got to school these guys on this.
Speaker 5: But we got a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: I played offensive line in high school too, thank you very much, just so he doesn't have to school him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm passing the baton. He love it on the offensive line talk. But up front there, I thought there were some issues with some of the stunts in the games that the defense was running. Elijah Ponder, Draymond Jones, a couple of guys in there.
Speaker 4: Uh, And so I thought that was something that impacted practice a little bit too. And as this new offensive line, and you know, some guys were out today no Vera Tucker Morgan Moses continues to kind of rotate with kayleb Blomo. So a couple of things that have stood out there in terms of the pass rush, maybe not the standard fore man rushes. Those seem to be blocked up pretty well. But once you start running all those games up front, that's when it got a little dicey.
Speaker 2: You guys can speak this way better than I can.
Speaker 19: Having watched so many of these training camp practices, the run game seems like it needs to get going.
Speaker 2: Is that a training camp thing?
Speaker 19: Is that maybe some questions about about how efficient is here has been early on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been quiet. It is hard to evaluate it when they're not tackling to the ground. But I thought the way evn't put it, there were guys I thought knifing through and being making just shot. That's why I thought there was more disruptive plays on defense. I just was really just talking about interceptions. I thought, fifty one is that Riley Riley Wilson. Yet Riley Wilson, I thought he was blowing up plays he put.
Speaker 4: Somebody on his But I one of the rookie running backs. I don't know what thirty nine or thirty they kind of all.
Speaker 6: I thought there were a lot of plays around the line of scrimmage that never really had a chance to get going. Screen passed. Alarison was one of the fumbles that Evan talked about. So yeah, I thought the running game is not anywhere near where you wanted to be. But Vara Tucker missing from left guard is a big difference. And I did think that Ben Brown, who took his spot, struggled for the most part today. Moses, you know, he was out there for the team periods, he wasn't out there for the individual stuff, so you know, there was a lot of mixing and matching today.
Speaker 2: I think Mike hit it right in the open though.
Speaker 6: It's just dog days of August even you know, it's only August, firsh And that's what.
Speaker 1: I think the coaches want to get to this point when you got to push through that mental toughness and find it when it's hot and when it's hard, especially when some new players getting opportunities.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to know. Of course, how Drake did.
Speaker 1: I mean, he did have one really nice backshot shoulder throat to AJ Brown. Don't panic, A J. Brown did walk off the field. He didn't, he didn't come back. But Mike Rabele did say they were going to limit some of these guys today, as Paul pointed out, So I don't think there's any reason to panic. However, Kyle Williams did also go off with a trainer and was getting looked at, so that's something away.
Speaker 6: He came back, well, he came back into and he was doing what I thought was interesting, a lot of work with on special teams, with the gunners and the vice guys. So he's clearly trying to find himself a game day role.
Speaker 1: So returner maybe we.
Speaker 2: Talked about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, anything to use his speed, you know, whether it's gunner covering punts or returning kickoffs. I think both of those things are our roles for him. You know, I've talked a lot about the third running back also being involved in those kickoff returns, So getting speedback there is obviously the type of play that it is. So I could see Kyle Williams potentially filling in there and and maybe earning a roster spot because Ft and Chisholm, he's going to play on special teams. You know, he's going to be a backup returner and he's going to be able to maybe cover kicks too. So I think Kyle Williams got to learn special teams. That's going to have to be a path.
Speaker 1: Jack your first time at KIM What what stood out to you today?
Speaker 19: First off, A lot of credits to you guys watching all that chaos, especially when everyone's an indie, you know, watching everyone, it's almost impossible to follow, especially the guy with the ADHD. I'm something, so I tip the caps you guys. I thought it was very interesting to watch that live period at the end with the threes. I think that that's kind of this time of year. I love those battles, right, I'm biased. I played with Xavier Holmes right so watching him and king on him, just watching a guy.
Speaker 2: Fight for a spot.
Speaker 19: I think that's what's always so intriguing about these training camp practice. And there's plenty of battles across the board here at PATS Camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, live tackling to the ground, which we don't see you very often in practice. And they've done it both days, just with the threes. Don't worry, they're not tackling Drake May all right, but just with the threes.
Speaker 5: But we saw it yesterday, we saw it today. I don't know if you guys recalled did we see that last summer? I don't remember Mike Rabel having live tackling.
Speaker 6: I definitely don't remember this amount of reps for the threes period last year. I think that's a testament. Mike was asked about it before practice. I think it's a testament to you know, Morton and some of those receivers, you know, I think Cameron Dormer, Riley Dixon. I think these guys have shown up and made some plays when they've been given opportunities. And I think because of that, Mike feels compelled to give them more opportunities.
Speaker 19: I would like to toss you guys, you know, warm up the softball here. Kyle Williams obviously named fans are very curious about a great day offensively, is that upside that it is going to make it a tough call for them, a really tough decision here at the end of the month.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think he's starting to show up here in the last couple of days. I mean, you guys saw Yesterday's what he ever.
Speaker 2: I don't know what he did yesterday. Ye yeah, he had a good day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's just been making most of his of his opportunities, I think, and that's what we've talked about. That's why I like him as a kickoff returner. It's a spot where they don't really have an obvious guy and maybe if he can add some speed to that, maybe some game changing ability, because early in the camp's almost felt like an afterthought with the kickoff returner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kyle Williams.
Speaker 4: Yesterday I thought was kind of like his breakout practice, if you want to call it that, and you know, finally started to notice him a little bit. Then today I thought he was behind the defense on that deep ball and Drake May under threw that.
Speaker 5: Pass a little bit.
Speaker 4: It was so he went right through the middle of the field and he was going to be gone and the ball just hung up in the air on Drake May a little bit. So I thought the last couple of days we've seen a little bit more Kyle Williams. Paul you mentioned to me, I think before practice, maybe a little less Kaisehon. He did have a catch today, but maybe a little bit that hype train slowing just a tad and maybe Kyle Williams picking up the torch a little And.
Speaker 6: One last thing, Mike before you, I know, you have to do your your wrap up. Well, we got to at least a chance to see yeah Gay back us, you know, so he was not in full pads and very limited. Mike said he would be limited, and he was, but I did get to see him sort of working on some punk protection stuff. He rocked one of the coaches, Mike Smith. Yeah, Mike, I don't know any of the coaches.
Speaker 5: So I made an audible noise when that happened.
Speaker 6: And now great moments in.
Speaker 2: History.
Speaker 3: So that Sunday that we were playing the Jets and their PR guy comes up to me while I'm sitting there and he's like, you know what you wrote isn't true. We're not censoring the clips. I'm like, well, you're not giving two of them, right. He's like, yeah, but that's not censoring. The guy sitting next to me goes sounds like censorship to me, and he just walked away.
Speaker 1: Another one for Fred.
Speaker 2: A lot of people skin they hated me. Oh yeah. So the other thing I wrote in the paper. We were talking.
Speaker 3: I was talking about the draft, how it's unfair that every at that time, every year, the draft was in New York. I said that wasn't fair because people in the crowd it's all New York fans, and you know, so I said they should come up with a new thing that the team that has the first pick. That's where the that's the city where the draft should be. I said, But on second thought, that'd be the Jets every year anyway. So again, like Gold, we get a.
Speaker 6: Letter, you know, comic styling.
Speaker 2: You're a member of another team. You shouldn't be saying this about another team. And like, you know, for a while, like I was like enemy number one.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a metalware of them.
Speaker 2: Do not let this man.
Speaker 3: So the vice president of pr for the league sent the Crafts a letter about me saying that I'm a pain in the app And Jonathan showed me the letter. He's like, I just got this from Dan Brown. Joe Brown. I just got this from Joe Brown. He does good job.
Speaker 2: That's another great moment from all Right.
Speaker 3: You got your first glimpse at the new host of the pre and post game show, Jack Webb. Yeah, a little bit nikov he's got the Nikovich beard, good solid beard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking some some center quarterback exchange.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Played played center at U Maine.
Speaker 1: The center.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, he started a guard and they moved or maybe tackle. They moved him inside the center.
Speaker 6: I thought he was a slot receiver.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe he should try out for maybe he should.
Speaker 6: Be a tight end.
Speaker 1: Maybe I know what that ankle he's got.
Speaker 2: I'm worried about him a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's playing hurt.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, We're making him walk all over the building and he's nervous on the hill too.
Speaker 3: So he'll be joining us, and we have another new person who will be on the show, but we'll kind of keep that a little bit of a secret, make maybe more of a surprise.
Speaker 2: So I we're excited.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be It's gonna be different, a good dynamic this year, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so fall you all right, I'm all right. Paul doesn't like change.
Speaker 1: You know, he doesn't like change until he gets into it and then he's like all right. Then it's like when and he was depressed and then he got me. He said, all right, just changes my personality.
Speaker 6: That's all that was good. I have to be stifled.
Speaker 2: No, you don't have to be Yeah.
Speaker 6: I goldn't have to be oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to Chris with a T. I A N.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: Christian?
Speaker 9: It's Christian from l A.
Speaker 2: But right, I know, I.
Speaker 1: I guess I was just confused.
Speaker 2: I was just being hopeful and when Christian yeah out.
Speaker 9: So you know that old adage that it's okay for me to criticize my family, but it's not okay for you to criticize my family.
Speaker 2: Yes, that happens here all the time.
Speaker 9: I felt a little bit of that this week when like this Aaron Rodgers thing where he's like going after Mike Rabel calling for an investigation about potential tampering and illegal information sharing with Deanna, and it feels like okay, you know when we talk about it in home and how it's okay, But with this guy literally trying to disrupt our team, I feel like with us playing this guy week two, maybe Mike Rabel might have a special blitz or two set up for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But wasn't he really taking more shots at ESPN We're not covering it more?
Speaker 9: No, No, he says like, yeah, you can't have to talk about it, and he wants to leave to look into potential tampering, and like she was also an MVP voter and she was a Coach of the Year.
Speaker 12: Voter, so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know it was an attack on the media. ESPN gonna meet it.
Speaker 9: But calling for Mike Able to be investigated.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know anyway, whatever, I'll take your word for it.
Speaker 6: I didn't see all their comments extensively that was not covered here.
Speaker 3: I hope they I hope they blitzed the hell out of them anyway, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: I probably will.
Speaker 6: It can't move right.
Speaker 4: I hearn Aaron Rodgers said some stuff. I did not pay any attention.
Speaker 2: To what else you got.
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 2: That's what I what I saw. Yeah, what else you got? Don't get anything good? Tesla anything like that?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 2: Mansions?
Speaker 9: Can you guys identify someone on both sides of the ball where you put in the cut compete or cash in category meeting? You know better likely to be cut? One guy that's in the thick of it, competing in his position, and then one guy you guys think of poise to cash in?
Speaker 2: Pois to catch cash in?
Speaker 1: Drake May, Yeah.
Speaker 6: He's doing the three guys or oh, you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Tell us we just got to come. Oh you're just asking us, all right, so you'll you'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 6: Well, poise to cash in, wouldn't that be Gonzales I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna say, there's only one answer for that.
Speaker 6: Right, He's going to get a contract. Well, we think he's going to get a contract.
Speaker 2: But hopefully it doesn't take the whole season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think in the summer.
Speaker 4: What about bar More getting another contract?
Speaker 2: No, okay, I think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question. They're kind of in a sweet spot right now. I feel like where they got some young guys who aren't going to be up with other cut can't compete, right, I'm gonna marry gay back.
Speaker 6: Is is anybody like is there a surprise cut candidate anywhere?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't mean if you count one of those wide receivers, like yeah, you know, like mc collins were.
Speaker 6: To be Mac Collins. If that was Mac Collins, I think would be a surprise cutter if he wasn't part of this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's seven of them, so someone's got to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't consider like if they traded Booty, I would not consider that a surprise. He's been on the trade block for two years now.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe they end up, you know, cutting Mac Collins.
Speaker 6: And that would be a surprise.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised.
Speaker 2: That's the definition.
Speaker 6: It's a surprise, just.
Speaker 3: Exercise and they talk about players that you think, really he could I would.
Speaker 6: Have a hard time with them.
Speaker 4: I just you know that I don't want the aggregators to be like Glazaarre Colon mac Collins.
Speaker 6: Too much. I just I don't worry about enough.
Speaker 4: Like just with him, I just wonder because he's a vested veteran, he doesn't have to go through waivers, and like whoos Him and Kyle Williams are two young players that you might think have some upside and they would have to be put on waivers. So, like, is there a world where he's like Brandon Bolden and they cut them and say don't pack your bags and then figure out a way to get him on the roster after the all of the dust settles. It's just a theory.
Speaker 2: It could happen, but it would still be a surprise. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Compete would be guys like Tanna Arkin, Yeah, you know, Chad Mulma, your guy, Karan Karan Prunty, absolutely very competitive guy. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Ian's in New York? What's up? Ian?
Speaker 3: Do you guys?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I was wondering for me. One of the big narratives from last season is that we the second most points per game for offense, but we were twenty fifth per sack. I was wondering what you guys attributed that to. Was it more of Tricks may scrambling style, or was it the offensive line? And if it's one of those or the other, do you think we've improved in that front in the off season.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thinks early on in the year, I would say a lot of those sacks were on Drake May, and he even came up to the podium and would say a lot of these sacks are on me. Later on in the year, I think the offensive line started to decline and Campbell gets hurt and you know, things start to happen, and maybe it was more on the line in the playoffs, I would say than it was on Drake May.
Speaker 5: So maybe a little bit of both.
Speaker 4: But it's one number, you know, two numbers really, the sack total and also his pressure to sack rate is a sack avoidance, if you will. That are two numbers that were on the higher end of the spectrum that they probably ideally would get lower his second year in the system. But we also have talked about, like that's just his game, and like how much do you want to take away the scrambling and the play extension and all that kind of stuff. If you love the plays when they break down and he makes these ridiculous plays after the play breaks down, then you have to let him try to do it.
Speaker 5: You can't just say, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Some of their biggest plays and the biggest wins that they had were those exact kind of plays.
Speaker 5: Right, So it's a tough line.
Speaker 4: I'd say the style of quarterback that he plays tends to get sacked more than a pocket passer, you know, that's getting the ball out quickly.
Speaker 6: Thanks Ann, And you figure that the detection itself should be better with Campbell and Wilson in their second years, they should be better. You take it, you know, a step forward as in the year two, and you bring in a veteran like AVT that that should that should be better. That's why I just went with the AVT. Yeah, so you would think the protection overall should be better. But yeah, I think a lot of the numbers are going to come down to Drake may too, because I think that you guys described it properly. That's that's something that's in his game and you don't want to take it out of his game.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just remember early on in the year last year, there's a lot of sacks, like he was the high amount of sacks and like franchise record amount of sacks, like all the trends were heading in that direction, and he took a lot of ownership in.
Speaker 6: That it wasn't a NFL record in the playoffs. Yeah right, yeah, yes, twenty one something like that.
Speaker 3: Chris with a tia and the real one, the real one writing yea, Saturday's practice was a blast. My big takeaway is that the offense is well big, especially at wide receiver. I'm excited to see how it all shakes out. Fred, we were wondering who the big guy was you were talking to. Turns out it was the new host of the pre and post game show. Welcome Jack Webb. I know you guys say this at ad nauseum, but the experience of going to camp is wonderful and if you can make it down, it's absolutely worth it.
Speaker 6: And thanks for stopping by. Christian. It's nice to see hi.
Speaker 1: I'm bummed out we didn't we didn't see him.
Speaker 6: Yeah well yeah, I mean everyone was up in the ramps anyway, but I was down there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We didn't have any PU shoutouts, really down at the.
Speaker 3: Matt writes in I wanted to know a couple of things. Would you say, well, Campbell was abysmal last year? Why is there a consensus that he was one of the worst tackles in the league.
Speaker 5: He was in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think up to the injury.
Speaker 6: He wasn't a bus I haven't read anybody say that he was abysmal last year.
Speaker 2: Abysmal it's way strong now, did not have a good playoffs? Did what was not good? No, So you know he's got a little bit of a bounce back.
Speaker 6: He need to hire some of these guys to feed this stuff to the coaching staff when they're looking for these things.
Speaker 4: You know, they have like code words that they search for. We have to see will Campbell play in games before I totally crown him. But I do like the way that he's responded, Like I feel like confidence wise, like some guys, with the playoff performance that he had and especially the Super Bowl, like that could kill a young player's confidence for good. Yeah, and I don't get that impression from him. I almost got the impression that it like motivated him. Yeah, you know, we'll see, Like, we'll see if it.
Speaker 6: I would, like I said, I would expect him and Wilson both to be to be significantly better in year two. But I don't think either one of those guys was abysmal last year.
Speaker 1: I really like I just like, I think, like, you know, the way he handles himself, you know, good answers direct.
Speaker 2: I do like the way you know, you just want him on this team for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he you know, I just if you separate all the position talking, all that stuff out of it, just the kid that he is and the player that he is. I just I think he brings an edge to the team. And you know, I just I'd love to see him really settle into that left tackle position and not have to worry about it. And you know, we saw it after practice today. You saw Will Campbell and Drake May after practice with their you know, Drake with his wife and Will Campbell with his fiance and you know, and yak and I'm like, man, this would be great to just have this connection and you know, really believe in both these guys, two key positions, and you really like them and they're just easy guys to root for, both of them.
Speaker 2: Also, Matt wants to know any impressions of defensive tackle Casey Rogers.
Speaker 4: He's only been two practices the uf UFL Yeah, I thought he had a.
Speaker 5: Couple of good reps today.
Speaker 4: The first practice was a little rough, but as you would expect for a guy that was not signed and came into the middle of training camp. But today I thought he did had a couple of sheds, a couple of good block you know, getting off blox, things like that with the threes.
Speaker 3: So we'll see if Darius wants to know who looked the part more, Keon White or gab Accis.
Speaker 2: Acus looks like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm not going to jump to that look the part yet. I mean they both have a hard time getting past looking the part. Now he wasn't he didn't play the part. Yeah, I'll be the first to admit he didn't play the part. But he's like my guy, Mauri Gainer. I can't he look.
Speaker 5: I know, I like a lot more as a player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, totally different skill set.
Speaker 1: I never was like to, well, he's doing what he's always done. This has been him like he's been an edge player his whole career. Whe was on the problem ball and you never really knew where he was going tween her very stiff, and I mean he's powerful guy. And I think this is a good question though for accus, you know, to Evan's point of can he be more than just a power guy? Can he have some moves? Can he have some counters? Can he get under guys? You know that that will really round him?
Speaker 6: Curious to see him play all around players?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, he's got some.
Speaker 6: I think is a power guy, but we'll be curious to see him play.
Speaker 4: He's got some I got some fluidity to him in the run against the run, like I see him slip some box and like get around guys. But like the pass rush is linear, like there's no doubt that he's a bull rusher like that. I but I I think that you know, line games like that sort of like that's gonna be the other dimension for him is like you know, he's gonna be a menace on stunts, So like, you know, those are the things I think now if you're gonna ask him to like mister Miagi and all of a sudden he's got all these moves and things like that, I'm not sure, but power go right through people, stunts, picks, things like that.
Speaker 5: I think he'd be effective with that.
Speaker 1: I got sorry, can I interrupt you?
Speaker 2: Well, you already did, keep going.
Speaker 1: I just want to bring out. Evan and I talked about this on the rants, and I think this is a big defensive storyline that we haven't really touched on yet. And I you know, when they signed Kevin Byrd, and it wasn't just us, it was you know, people that I watch around the league saying that he's a free safety. Now that's you know, he's gonna play in the back end of the defense. And what we've seen here in camp is that they're continued to use him and Craig Winson interchangeably sending Byered on blitz send Woodson on blitzes. He's playing down, he's playing back. So you know, Evan and I were talking up on the ramps about, you know, is this sustainable, can he do this? Can he hold up playing inside? Is this going to best serve the defense? Where this is a guy who's super smart, super experienced. You've heard the other players talk about how he's so smart and he just knows where, you know, the ball is going to go, and he seems to find it there. I hope that does they don't lose that from him. And I wonder maybe at some point, if it's not working this season, if they do go to a more traditional set where it's Devin mccordy on the back end making, you know, cleaning everything up, getting everybody on the same page, you know, and Chung down below doing the work like Woodson could. And I you know, I think it would benefit Woodson when we saw today those guys are flying off the edge.
Speaker 3: But do we have to be careful about what we see early in camp because this is a time where you try stuff, and you know, once they get later in camp, maybe you.
Speaker 2: Will see Buyer as that center field. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just I think what Deuce is kind of going off of the like his tape last year. Like I think when he got into situations where he was playing man to man on tight ends last year, was Dicey just at this point of his career. So I agree that they're schematically, I'm not getting too caught up in what they're doing in practice. But I don't know if he he reminds me so much of mccordy at the end. Like Devin mccordy at the end, was he was a field general, back there like he was not. He was no longer the player that was going to cover guys man to man, you know, but he could play in the back end. He was going to get everybody, you know, all the ducks in a row. He was going to range over the top was still there. He just wasn't, you know, fast enough anymore, dynamic enough to cover guys. And I see similar traits with Bayern, But that doesn't mean he can't be a useful player. It's just understanding his strengths and weaknesses at thirty three that maybe they weren't in twenty nineteen when Rabel first had him in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Tom and Edinburgh, Scotland. Are you part of the Tartan Army?
Speaker 3: Tom, I'm glad you guys continue to bring the energy and have plenty of shows. They keep me going through my long runs during marathon training cycles. Luble brag seventh Marathon coming up in New York.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of ryme.
Speaker 2: Woll good for you.
Speaker 3: I have an opinion on the Booty trade talk. I think we should keep him. I'm not trying to overhype him or anything, but he catches the ball. It is a reliable target, much like Dorset. Mike, Oh, I'd like to.
Speaker 6: I'd look to off I looked who who we compared to Dorset.
Speaker 2: Booty Booty, Philip Dorset.
Speaker 6: I think he means yeah, No. Tom Curran actually said something to me two days ago, and I'm trying to remember. I don't know if it was Booty, Well, Kyle Williams.
Speaker 5: Skill set wise, he's much more Kyle Williams.
Speaker 6: I think it was Kyle Williams he was talking about like kind of reminded him of like maybe a little Philip dor Set. That's funny, Like was like, what are the odds that you know two different people use Philip doris Set as a comp It's not like, oh he reminds me of Edelman, you know, or he reminds me of Gronk, Like he reminds me of Phillip doris Set.
Speaker 2: I like to.
Speaker 3: I look to Offloaw Douglas. I personally don't see him fitting into the system. He just looks like the odd one out and struggles in games. I can see the athleticism, but I don't see him being good enough developed Chisholm instead, who can offer something more with his thicker Bill and.
Speaker 1: I would push back on that. I think. I think that Pop Douglas done a really good job kind of developing, continuing to develop. I think he's a good.
Speaker 2: I think he does look good. He looks good.
Speaker 4: He's in the slot every time they go through receiver, he's fast.
Speaker 6: I just think it's such a perception thing. And I know I've made this point a million times. The numbers for him and Booty are the same. For some reason, Booty is every you know, irreplaceable, and everybody just wants Douglas to go. I just don't really get it. I don't understand they had virtually the same exact efficiency numbers. It was like mid forties targets, low thirties receptions for sim amount of yards. Big plays are.
Speaker 2: Both and you know what about in the playoffs.
Speaker 6: One of the biggest plays of the playoffs was the Tomorrio Douglas fourth down conversion for a touchdown and give him the lead against Houston. Okay, you know, and Booty put that same game away with a one handed catch for a touchdown. Like those were two huge plays in that game.
Speaker 3: Pete and Jupiter Florida. I saw that Jalen Pok retired this weekend. The timing was perfect for me since I'm listening to the twenty twenty four draft show when he was drafted. I'm currently on day three listening to Mike rant about how annoyed he is with people who were disappointed with the pick, and how he Mike is all in on Polk what went wrong.
Speaker 2: As Paul would say, I have PTSD zero recall. Also, is it funny?
Speaker 3: It is funny listening to Mike being so passionate knowing how it all turned out.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what happens.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable to me that people their time listening to shows.
Speaker 2: It's not a waste of time if they're listening to our show.
Speaker 5: From three years ago.
Speaker 2: No, I don't care if it's thirty years ago.
Speaker 5: Waste of time.
Speaker 2: No, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: And I remember when they drafted on it, we were all kind of all done. Oh yeah, I don't. I mean, if you're gonna do this job and you don't do that, then you're not doing anything. But I remember they drafted him and I, you know, and we were kind of like And then when I went back to my notes and stuff in the second I remember coming back to that show on day three, and I remember you're being angry and like, I want to be more positive about this pick, and I did. I like Jalen Polk. I thought he had good hands. I thought, you know, I didn't see the lack of speed that everybody else apparently saw.
Speaker 6: I think he does have good hands.
Speaker 4: I didn't actually think that Jalen Polk's issues were anything to do with his ability.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I think it just got proven. I mean, I don't have any idea what's going on in Jalen Polk's life, but it's not normal that a twenty four year old kid decided to retire. And by all accounts, Evans guy Nick Hundry Hill, who used to be here in New England who covers the Saints extensively, was saying how involved he was early on in the camp practices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more than football.
Speaker 5: He also said that he's not hurt.
Speaker 4: This is something something going on and that Dad, I think is maybe something that they've gotten better at with, you know, the way that the organization is structured now. I think in twenty four, like vetting, that kind of stuff kind of slipped through the cracks, like mental toughness and what's between the years. And like I was mentioning Campbell earlier, Like Campbell could easily go into the tank because of how he played in the Super Bowl if he was mentally fragile, you know, and he doesn't seem to be doing that. But a guy like Jalen Polk doesn't get one foot in bounds on a catch in the back of the end zone and basically disappeared and retired two years later. Yeah, you know, like literally because of a heel and a toe to stark way to put it.
Speaker 5: But I think you're right, Like, if he gets his foot in bounds in that game, I'm not saying he's going to be Randy Moss, but like that play haunted him for the rest. He brought it up months later at times like it truly haunted him.
Speaker 1: Well you see the signs now, I mean you point him out, Paul, I mean the moments in the locker room where he stepped in it. You know, it said I have the greatest I think I have the great his hands in the NFL, you know, all those kind of things. But I compare it to that Na Kashan Budi, a guy who didn't get a foot in bounds but stuck with it and found a way to kind of destride and contribute.
Speaker 3: Anthony writes in about Stephen A. Smith's comments on First Take. He basically said, we have no chance to win the division and we were lucky as hell because of our schedule. I find this to be crazy as it stands where he got it way better from last year? Is he living under a rock? Am I crazy to say we have a top ten roster in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Talent wise? There's star level talent across the roster.
Speaker 5: I think you're crazy for listening to Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith.
Speaker 6: Yeah he's you know, yeah, I mean I think the roster has improved. I think it's not crazy to call it a top ten roster. I think there was ranking that had at seven on ESPN from earlier in the show.
Speaker 2: Was that right?
Speaker 6: One of the highest rated shows that we've done in this offseason was the Salt and Pepper broadcast with Evan Lazarre and Paul Parrella.
Speaker 5: Seems like we get made fun of a lot.
Speaker 6: We talked about that that very thing. Seventh best roster, third best in the AFC according to those rankings. I don't know who compiled them, but I don't think it's crazy to suggest that.
Speaker 5: I believe that was from their analytics people.
Speaker 6: FPI stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, David Bethlehem less end now David and Bethlehem Pop is slide of Bill Williams is a speedster, but don't see much wiggle. Hollins can get injured too. If any get hurt, Chisholm is.
Speaker 3: The best player to take the spot, more versatile than Pop Williams and Holland's opinion, Williams is not very durable. The most important ability is availability. A Ferrari with a flat is not going.
Speaker 4: So if three guys get hurt, I.
Speaker 2: Just I just like, I feel like if any one of them, I feel.
Speaker 6: Like I'm just vastly approaching, quickly approaching this to Mario Douglas like defense team, Like, what does f him do that to Mario Douglas doesn't have the versatility to do I don't I don't know. He just Saidfton Chism's more versatile than Tomarrio Douglas, So what is like Let's let's say that the best case Scenariofton Chishm turns out to be a more than serviceable NFL slot receiver. What does he do that to Mario Douglas can't he's just bigger. He's bigger.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, can aft Chisholm go down the field like Tomorrio Douglas did last year? So what does he like? What versatility does to Mario Douglas last I would say.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow Douglas is way more versatile. Chisholm is like he's got one thing like Douglas.
Speaker 6: He's a possession slot receiver. Yeah, and he if he turns out to be like what Everanton, I mean with Mike and Fred say, maybe he could be really good at that. But I don't see the versatility to go down the field, to make plays on different levels of the field. Like he's a kind of a power.
Speaker 2: He's a willing blocker.
Speaker 5: He is a willing bocker. He did.
Speaker 6: I think he's probably a better blocker than to Mario Douglas could ever pretend to be? Okay, you found one, like I just the versatility thing, Like I just I don't know where the Tomorrio Douglas hate came from, but it's like overnight it happened.
Speaker 4: I think that it stems from people perceiving a lot of his errors to be mental, like he's it's I remember the a VP year, them talking about like a throw that Drake missed in the middle of the field and they claim that he broke off a slant at five steps instead.
Speaker 5: Of three steps.
Speaker 4: Is a route depth issue according to the coaches, or you know, like he's supposed to sit but he breaks away, or he's supposed to he sees inside leverage and he's supposed to go out and he goes in and like that.
Speaker 5: People think that.
Speaker 4: That kind of stuff is where his game is deficient, and I maybe that's I don't see that a practice, which is the weird thing. Like today on third down and the two minutes, Oh he had Matt Bark.
Speaker 2: He looks pretty good this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Marcus Jones inside of him, he broke out and moved.
Speaker 6: The thick he has owned might be a strong word, but he has really controlled Marcus Jones in this camp. He has been locked up with Marcus Jones a lot, and I can't recall very many times he hasn't won.
Speaker 5: It's a really tough cover. He's got a lot of speed, he's got a lot of quickness.
Speaker 4: Is a really tough cast and if he's in the right he's got two way go inside. So he can go anywhere. He can go vertical on you too, as long as he knows where he's going.
Speaker 5: He's a really tough guy to cover.
Speaker 4: He's one of the best by the metrics, one of the best separators in football.
Speaker 6: I'll give you my theory, my Douglas theory. Why people have given up on him. Two things. One, they all miss diagnosed him. They all thought he was going to be the next one hundred catch slot guy, and that's not what he's going to be. And the second thing is the fourth down like quick screen on the all out blitz against Pittsburgh for the last play of the game. He didn't handle it well. He caught it and kind of cut back inside. It was fourth and really short. He should have just gotten up field and gotten the first down, and I think he tried to like go around a guy. He ended up getting tackled no gain. Game ends, and I think that was it. I think everybody just said this guy stinks. He's never gonna do it.
Speaker 4: He's never gonna don't know if it's like that specific example, but I think the overall point you're making of game instincts is like where I think people have concern, For example, after the catch. Sometimes he looks like a drunken sailor.
Speaker 2: Well he falls down on his own sometimes.
Speaker 5: Like he literally looks like a drunken sailor.
Speaker 4: And he's joked about it all last season and he's like, I don't know what happens one of them, he remember, he said he like whipped his head back to like look for the ball and he gave himself whiplash.
Speaker 6: I remember, liked, I remember.
Speaker 5: He's like stumbling around the next thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're just like like, mister d.
Speaker 5: I think it's like instincts, like game feel like can I.
Speaker 1: Add into that please? Josh McDaniels a second year the same system too. I mean he had Billy Oh the first year rookie trying to figure it out. Then he had AVPs off. Now he's got two years with Josh. I think, I mean, I think he's really shown like he's settled in over these last two years.
Speaker 6: I've been asked him that question today about his comfort level and option routes, and I think that's what you're talking about mind now, is that he does look a little bit more fluid and sure of.
Speaker 1: Him continuity with the system and him and I don't I got. I have high hopes for him this year. I really do. I mean, especially in a contract year like he's he's got a chance.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that that one hundred catch season is coming. I don't think that's the kind of player with.
Speaker 1: Your guys a downfield kind of more.
Speaker 6: Last year he was kind of a different version of Booty, Like when they called on him, he generally made the play.
Speaker 4: I just think that there's so much more there if he can develop some of the game feel and some of the IQ playing inside because of all the you know, easy money that's in there with receivers like him that I feel like he could even take another step. But I think that's what it is, and like that play my have been a good example of it, Paul, But like I think it's just overall, I don't think people think that it's there between the ears for him as like a football IQ guy. And I think some of the guys that have really excelled in that role have just been like really high football IQ players, And like you don't really necessarily think of Tomario Douglas the same way as Jacobi Myers or Edelman or Welker, who like really were like quarterbacks, you know, like they could see the field that way.
Speaker 2: Mark in from Cheddar, I want to get rid of the Mario Douglas. Great player, but horrible nickname pop. If it was diet Pop, then I'd be all four it. But that is why I have to give her.
Speaker 5: That's like after his like dead grand But that's why, that's that's why I.
Speaker 2: Have given up on him and I want to run him out of town.
Speaker 6: Thanks Mark, He's just trying to get out.
Speaker 2: And he says he still hasn't received his T shirt.
Speaker 5: Well, now you don't get one.
Speaker 3: He says, not that I have ever earned one. Just seems like the general moment not one.
Speaker 1: Have pup sign one for you talking about pomp now As Fred would say talking.
Speaker 2: About pomp now Rick and Riverside, Rhode Island.
Speaker 3: The Patriots need to either one commit to Booty as their number two or three receiver by offering him a contract extension, or two trade him to allow him to get a chance for a second NFL contract. If they go option two, then they shouldn't hold on to him thinking they're going to get a great return, and out of respect for the player who was a fifth round pick, they should take what they can get at this point.
Speaker 4: I actually think that the return could improve. And normally, I would say first because of the fact that he's in a contract year, normally that you would think it goes down. But I think at the end of training camp there's a window of opportunity there teams feel like they're short on receivers, somebody gets hurt something like that, And I also think at the trade deadline the price can be really really high for those types of moves, like Rashid shaded win for a third round pick last year at the trade deadline. I think they're like they're different, they get it done in different ways, but they're kind of similar that they're both like vertical speed threat type of guys. I kind of feel like that those like transaction windows, the price actually could improve for the Patriots if they wait, Like I think, trading him now you already know that it's the offers are pretty low. I would wait until somebody gets hurt or gets desperate or something like that.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance at all that they cut them, like just at the end of camp and they let them go because they just don't feel I mean, is there any chance of that?
Speaker 6: I think very small. I can't imagine they would do that, But I agree with Evans's philosophy. Right now, you know that you don't have a huge market, But at the end of camp, everybody sees how the dust settles and says we're lacking here, or someone that we were really hoping was going to be one of our top three receivers gets hurt and we need someone to replace them, and we got to plug somebody in, and that's the best case. Maybe instead of a you know, a sixth or a seventh or pick swap, maybe you get a fourth or something like that. Or if you wait now, I do think a lot And Booty has said this, and Vrabel has said this. There's been a lot of communication back and forth and they've talked a lot about this stuff. If he is okay sort of biding his time, I would wait as long as I could because of not only the potential to get more as you go, but insurance for you if you lose one of your guys deadline.
Speaker 3: Well, as Belichick always said, and I agree with him, sometimes with these decisions, don't make them until you have to, and time will play it out for you and make the decision for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if he was really, you know, kicking up a storm behind the scenes, then I would just say, we just got to get rid of him. It's not fair to him. He's just he's causing disruptions.
Speaker 2: But he's not.
Speaker 6: He's doing everything that they've asked of them.
Speaker 4: I just even look at now and it's just one team. But like San Francisco. San Francisco lost Ricky Piersoll for the year, Mike Evans has a quad injury because of the power plant obviously.
Speaker 6: But I had this whole thing with Will on the way to work the other day.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to.
Speaker 4: They signed Deebo Samuel back then brought him back to San Francisco. Like, it's just one team, doesn't make a market, But like if that happens with a couple more teams and all of a sudden, there might be a market for Kashan Boody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Canadian Mike and Muggy, but not Smelly Florida. Is there anything you guys can see in training camp and or preseason that would change your record predictions positive or negative injuries aside.
Speaker 1: Preseason talking about preseason not for me now, No, I paused in my head, no, but injuries aside, so like in other words, like Josh Allen is not out for the year, like those things would change my yea.
Speaker 6: But if we're not talking about injuries.
Speaker 2: What's your I think we did this earlier, But what's now your floor ceiling for the Patriots season? Nine nine?
Speaker 1: Flooring ten twelve thirteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mine is nine thirteen.
Speaker 4: I think I might be double digit wins. I think it's a good football team.
Speaker 6: I think they're good.
Speaker 4: I think every day we see back and forth. I think every day we see players making plays on both sides of the ball that are not no longer like you know, first round picks that we hope develop, but are just like Christian Gonzales and guys that are really good. I think that they're a ten win team. I mean they have four free wins against the Jets and the Dolphins, so like you're already having like you know now you just need to kind of go like five hundred the rest of the way to win ten games, Like it's really not you know, when you look at it that way, it's not as hard as you think.
Speaker 1: I think overall have to be a Drake regression like last year, was just a total outlier for him and way above what he's actually gonna be. Like that to me is I think they could knock them down back into like.
Speaker 5: But he would have to be like a turnover machine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like if he's not making the throws down the field that he made last year, that's one thing. But like they could probably win with more conservative offense and on defense, Yeah kind of, they could probably win a handful of games just doing.
Speaker 1: That at a quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think they have a really good team, Like this is the probably the best team you know, other than like eighteen nineteen that I've seen them have, you know where, Like there's really star players everywhere.
Speaker 3: I've seen a Yeah, as it stands right now, does the schedule look as daunting now as it did when it you know early, you know, right after the season.
Speaker 6: I think it looks harder because of the travel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that that's a big factor. Like the days of the week that the gate some of the games are. They have a Wednesday game, they have two Thursday night games, they have a Monday night game. They have games all over the place, and terms of travel, I think that part of it is underrated compared to the actual opponents that they're playing.
Speaker 6: And I agree with you guys that I think they've also gotten better since then. So it's probably even.
Speaker 2: In a weird sort of way.
Speaker 3: Does the travel and odd schedule kind of force you to focus more? You can't get into like that rhythm where you're kind of today's Monday today. You know, like every week is kind of a little different, so you have to focus.
Speaker 1: I don't know, we'll see. I mean, you got some young players on the team that you know. I mean, last year they did a great job dealing with the road. I mean they were a record setting road team last year.
Speaker 2: You know, they called themselves a road the World war You've.
Speaker 5: Heard I saw, but it's not a warrior sign.
Speaker 1: Today it's a really good it's a really good schedule. I mean, I'm just this is a football fan. I'm excited to watch good games and good competition, and.
Speaker 2: You know you.
Speaker 1: Are excited about it a matter of be like who we got today, Spencer Rattler, get big.
Speaker 5: He just never has a bad day.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable, you guys, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know who thought Mike was going to be excited about this season?
Speaker 2: Is an intriguing. It's intriguing. Yeah, I mean, are you having fun, Mike?
Speaker 3: No, But you know last yeursay, I know you were sick of the fourteen one season.
Speaker 2: No, we're back.
Speaker 6: I don't want to and furnished Mike.
Speaker 5: It was twelve and four that he was, Okay, if they beat the bag out of the Jets and Dolphins, which they should, that's four and oh. Right, you realize they only have to win six other games to win ten games. Yeah, six and seven to win the other to get to ten wins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if they go for and I know how that math works there, I agree.
Speaker 5: I mean, like when people say, oh, I think the.
Speaker 6: Dolphins games or layups, I'm not.
Speaker 2: They're not always. I'm not sure the division games should be crazy.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure that both Jets games will be like they should.
Speaker 5: Absolutely wipe the floor with both of them.
Speaker 3: Should but division games again, can be can be strange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not saying that they can't be. I'm just saying that anything.
Speaker 1: Other than where two of those games are in the last three weeks of the season. So by that point, I don't know how much those teams are going to have to play for too, right, Like what is what are those?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: But the Broncos one interest me, Like, what is that game?
Speaker 6: Is that? Are you excited about that?
Speaker 2: Not excited?
Speaker 1: I'm very excited. Actually that's the one. I'm second most excited.
Speaker 4: He was asked which game he was most excited about this morning, he said, Bill is the Bills game. I was a little surprised about why what. I just thought, I don't know division title, I mean, this is I know, but I just you know, that's the thing the Bills fans.
Speaker 1: I heard some Bills guy like talking about the easy schedule, and I'm like, they should have had him in this game too, Like they had a freaking huge lead on him and they let him off the hook. You should have beat them both times. And then Paul's things going through my head. There's three games different between you're talking about easy. The Patriots schedule three games.
Speaker 6: But that was huge because all three of those Bills games were really hard. Well this year, that's a differ between an easy schedule and a regular schedule.
Speaker 5: This year it's not historically easy.
Speaker 1: Schedule three games is like, well, that's that's a receptable part schedule now.
Speaker 6: So I would just say, like the whole of thirteen games. I think it's easy to sit there and say six and seven. I think there's a lot of games that I could absolutely see going either way, like Minnesota, Green Bay, Chicago to be you know, like I know, but what if you're not Kansas City? You think I don't know. I was asked to give a floor. I gave a floor of nine. He's like ten and likeriulously.
Speaker 1: I realize if they win four games, they only need six more to get to ten.
Speaker 6: Math. Math is math?
Speaker 5: I mean when you put it like that to the math Parillo.
Speaker 6: I mean, wake up? How come when Fred said nine, he didn't get yelled at?
Speaker 1: I got issue?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we got a long time before we're going to see how this actually does play out, a lot of practices in between. Then we got another show on Thursday on the table. Next week, the Colts are coming to town tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Cat after the walkthrough, after the Yeah, Barth is just like he's so busy, So you know you have to wait for Barth to be ready. So what time will you have it tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Way later than.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be, like punter Hanktock.
Speaker 4: Oh he's got to write And then he's got to do his thing with zolac and like, you know, he's he's well, listen, he's a busy guy.
Speaker 2: He's trying to make himself a career.
Speaker 3: You know, you're all set, you're cushy right now, You're you've got.
Speaker 2: You know, he's he's making his way. He's like Chisholm. Over there, Chisholm. It's got this name. Mean, I would agree with that. Why you don't think he's good? All right, I'm just kidding. We'll talk to you on Thursday. Hey, this is Duce.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning into the show. If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also, make sure you follow us on the New Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot,