Speaker 1: Good mornings, sweet world, and welcome to the Nodunks podcast, presented by Fan Duel. It's Tuesday, January twenty seventh, twenty twenty six. I'm Jay Skeets, back in the comfy but cold confines of the Classic Factory and alongside me.
Speaker 2: As always, Test Mellis.
Speaker 3: Podcast listeners, this is for you.
Speaker 1: Next to him, it's Matapsha, Hot Boy, Trey Kirby, Ah and over Yonder making the magic happen. Super producer JD. Hello there he is JD. How you feeling, man?
Speaker 3: You know, getting there? Getting there?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right?
Speaker 3: What's a cold snap without a cold?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was thinking that. I was like, is that a good time to get sick when it's like the coldest we've had in a long time here in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Or the worst time?
Speaker 2: I was really debating.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure. Let us know, get the cold going ticket. Yeah, thanks for joining us live on YouTube. Sorry for starting a little bit later than normal here. Hit the light button, subscribe podcast listeners, not starting late to you. Five star ratings and reviews, and we did it. We found another certified classic with help that's pretty cool from Reddit our fans on No dunks. I read it. Found the Show and Love music video that we recorded in two thousand and nine, Show and Love to every team in the NBA, and we posted it on our YouTube page. So podcast listeners, come on over, make sure you subscribe to while you're here, and check out this banger. It still slaps and it's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: It's still good. That could be good in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it holds up of course. I mean that's classic music right there.
Speaker 2: It's timeless. The start of it is amazing.
Speaker 1: Just task going oh yeah with a little piano coming in makes me laugh every time.
Speaker 2: So go check that out.
Speaker 1: We're on a hell of a run with the certified classics right now. We had the like of Bosh Andrea Barniani twenty twelve All Star campaign video and now Show and Love. What's next?
Speaker 4: Sounds like we gotta get back in the studio and start recording.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, we are.
Speaker 1: Saying enough these days, right, I know, we're too busy tracking wedgies as far as they keep coming fast and furious. Weggie thirty eight and thirty nine last night both block Weggies and they almost happened at the exact same time.
Speaker 2: First one in Chicago, Jackson Hayes with an emphatic.
Speaker 1: Chased down from behind Block Weggie on Josh Giddy and like, legit, I don't know, like sixty seconds later, maybe a minute or two later, Robert Williams the third blocking Jordan Wall.
Speaker 2: She also fouled them. But it's stuck.
Speaker 1: There long enough, according to baby Bird Eagle. Uh so we're counting it, baby bird, baby bird, No what Eagle? Yeah, that Jackson Hayes block was Oh yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looked like Giddy just said it next to the rim. So that Jackson Hayes good wedging in for him.
Speaker 2: I agree, I said, I tweeted last night.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be scoring that one quite high when it comes to ranking all the weggies on stack. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: I was surprised take it to the other one. I'm sorry to go back and reference something very old, but to hear grand Hill say he'd never heard of a block Weggie. You're a colleague on the Inside Stuff broadcast. Was our host on the Starties. Wow when we gave away the wedgie of the Year to a block Wedge.
Speaker 1: You're talking Kriss, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, in grand Hill's defense, I guess Noah Eagles has started calling it a bledgie, a block and a wedgie, which is great. We love it.
Speaker 2: Maybe that Grant was a little.
Speaker 5: Confused, right yeah, sure, yeah, he's got brought up Kristin Budloe saying a block wedgie. We gave it to Dorian Finney Smith, who was who accepted the award. Oh wow, it was a good day twenty seventeen. Here's that It said a block weggie on the bottom of the screw. We got the lower third, we got the little banner. If he was reading, if he was looking at the screen anyway, Bledie, Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you think Grant Hill still likes music?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I agree, Yeah, give.
Speaker 2: It you imagine he didn't.
Speaker 1: I'll be breaking news Grant Hill stops liking music.
Speaker 4: Catch out to me, has no choice.
Speaker 1: All right, let's recap some of last night's games and stories from yesterday in the updown Report.
Speaker 4: Its Maddie m p. Sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're throwing thumbs this morning.
Speaker 2: A figure.
Speaker 1: We got our body moving, throwing thumbs up or down. Try and stay one yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, first one here, Luka Doncic forty six points, eleven assists, seven rebounds helped the Lakers cool off the hot Chicago Bulls with the one twenty nine to eighteen victory last night. Lebron did work early in this game. He had twenty of his twenty four in the first half. LA improved to three and one on this eight game road trip here a game trip. According to FanDuel, Luca is now a plus one thousand bet to win his first ever MVP, so he's second in the odds SGA remains the favorite. Yo Kich is now off the board because he probably is not going to hit the games played. Quote up, but are you up or down? Especially after last night's scheme and how they're playing right now On Luca Daunt's MVP chances, legit chances to win his first ever MVP.
Speaker 5: I picked the guy, but I'm still down. In comparison to Shae, there is no comparison. Chase played one hundred and fifty more minutes, made a hundred more shots, made one hundred and fifty more two specifically, played in eight more games. His team has won nine more games. He's scored the most points in the NBA. Even though Luca is leading in the per games.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't the hundred sports writers and broadcasters I vote for this thing at the end of the season, are they going to look at Luca, look at a team that's way below Okay, see I'm saying that because I believe that will still be the case.
Speaker 3: Are they going to give it to Luca? I highly, highly doubt him.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're still saying down despite he's missed.
Speaker 5: He's missed eight games. I know that's not a ton in today's NBA, but but but you know, you know, it's something in comparison to Shay. I think, just all those categories, why why not give it to Shape because he's won it before.
Speaker 3: That would be the only reason. I suppose that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: It's happened before. When it comes to MVP voting, maybe won't be the case.
Speaker 4: Again, usually not on a on a one time winner.
Speaker 1: No, no, true true. What do you think, TK like? Upper down, one thumb up? I'm a tiny bit Okay, I'm.
Speaker 4: Up because I think this is going to be the highest finish of Luca's career in MVP voting. He finished third in twenty three, twenty four, and like you said, right now, he's second in odds, a little bit ahead of Caid. I mean, I don't know, toss up. I guess between Caid and Luca. Caid's team has outperformed Lucas as well, but they're in the easier conference. I don't know. Luca, though, is leading the league in scoring points per game only m hm. He's got the Lakers apparatus. That matters. Oh yeah, absolutely matters, and the Lakers do have a great clutch record, so you can say, look at this guy come through when his team needs it the most. He's oddly low though, on like clutch points per game, mostly because when it comes down to it, teams are just going to double Luka Doncuch and say anybody else on the Lakers beat us. They have been good doing it. And I will say, if he is allowed to go against Nicola Vucha bitch every single night, Luca will win the MVP. I'm always talking about. You can tell how hard Luca had to work during a game by how sweaty he looks. This guy was dry last night. He maybe got like a little glaze on his forehead in the fourth quarter, but like not the dripping hair. He didn't have sweat on his jersey. This was easy stuff, just like put vouch into a screen and roll sometimes like a double screen and just keep dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, ri whipple pass or score over the top of it. Was easy stuff for Luca against the balls last night. But I think Lucas had a great season. Anytime he makes some sort of an effort on the defensive end, it's getting clipped out. You know they're gonna put together a list of players where Luca's trying on defense. And the fact that he's got the Los Angeles media behind him, I think helps. Anytime around the Lakers, you get a little bit of a bump. So I think he will finish second.
Speaker 1: You think he still make in clipse maybe Kate Cunningham, like you said, they're like in the two three sports behind the Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: I mean he had the three balls dropping last night. That was the big part.
Speaker 1: Eight to fourteen from deep, and this is one area this season he has struggled in terms of consistency hitting a three, but knockdown eight of those. I love seeing Luca when he's operating around the free throw line too, Like just like he's a monster dude. I think maybe it's forgotten just because he's the way he plays out on the perimeter and sort of a point guard. He is huge, like easily scoring over Kobe White when he matched on got buckets, like just it's too small, They're too small for him. So I like, I like when he just like mixes it up with the three balls, going a little inside work, and then obviously he's one of the best playmakers. He had that beautiful baseline pass too. Was it Vanderbilt cutting in baseline on the on the corner there, Like they threw a couple of bulls at him in the corner and he just waited and waited and waited for who he wanted to cut under it and flinging it under.
Speaker 3: He had so many good passes.
Speaker 5: He had a behind the back skip pass way out to Gabe Vincent who had to one touch it to ruyaction and work because it wasn't the most perfect behind the back skip passes, but it was far. And then the classic Luca get underneath ball fake pump fake and another fake and then the pass out to the corner. That's a classic Luca. When he needed to get open, he used those two hands to push off. I would assume, get off me.
Speaker 3: Man. He was doing a great job.
Speaker 5: Although it was funny to hear him post game in the interview saying, all right, you're four games into your eight game trip. He rolled his eyes, He's ah, eight game trip. I don't like that. He didn't say a word, but his eyes said it all. It isn't like being on the road, I guess for that long. But I will say we all projected that okay Se would probably win seventy games.
Speaker 3: Now they're not. Is there a chance that okay See falls back.
Speaker 5: Even further from where they are, just like they've hilt from that seventy mark to now to it whatever it is, a sixty five win mark.
Speaker 3: They're losing games.
Speaker 5: I think that the Jalen Williams injury is a factor that he hasn't been able to help out this season. I think it's more of a factor in the playoffs, considering he has to get going to be the second best scorer on that ok See team. I know there's chet and all that, but they depend on Jaalens to be their second best ball handler. So that's the worst part and that may factor int m VP.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe all right, next one here, Donovan Mitchell scored forty five points as the Cavaliers beat the Magic one to fourteen ninety eight. That's their fourth straight win. The run puts Cleveland a season best eight games over five hundred at twenty eight and twenty. So the up down question, and I could have gone negatively with the Magic side of things, like are you upper down on the Magic getting it together? But let's be positive, piets here, upper down tray. When it comes to your confidence in the Cavaliers, with how they're playing right now and this run.
Speaker 4: I'm up compared to early season. I'm down overall. I don't actually believe that the Cabs are going to be a threat in the playoffs, but we shall see. They've looked better though. On the entire season thirteen and sixteen against teams five hundred better. But in their last eleven games against five hundred teams they're eight and three, and that includes wins against the Spurs, the Suns, the timber Wolves. You know, like they beat the Magic twice, they are technically a five hundred team. I don't think it's all that impressive to beat the Magic. At this point though, however, the Cavs are one to eight against the teams that are ahead of them in the Eastern Conference oh and two against Boston, one and one against Detroit, oh and two against the Knicks, oh and three against Toronto. Their fourth and fandul odds to win the Eastern Conference behind Detroit, New York and Boston. And that seems about right to me, just because I've got massive questions about them in the playoffs, their depth, their health, their toughness, like who is their actual number two option out there? They've lost four to one in the second round the last two seasons in Cleveland after I mean, they destroyed the Heat last year for sure, but they struggled against the Magic the year prior. You can also throw in the fact that Donovan Mitchell has never made a conference finals despite playing for two number one seeds. There are questions to be answered for the Calves, But Donovan Mitchell's hoopin right now. This guy dominated last night forty five, four and four from Mitchell. He's averaging thirty points per game, basically twenty nine and a half. It's a career high five rebound, six assists. He's almost at fifty forty ninety for the season. When he scores thirty or more than seventeen to eight, the question is always going to be who can go along with Donovan and Mitchell and can they actually defend if the guy that's supposed to go along with him is Darius Garland, who didn't play last night. So I don't know. The Calves are getting it together here. I think that's good, but I still don't know that I think this team is really going to do anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very similar to last year in the playoffs because their second best player in Darius Garland, their other ball handler is hurt again and that was a part of last year and what happened to them in the second round. He had offseason big toe surgery on his left big toe and now he's got his right big toe that he's hurt. So he's got problems down there and that's an issue now. I will say I'm up Evan Mobiley. I think looks his best that he's looked this season. I think he has got one move that he's getting to in that spin to his left. He gets into the lane that spins to his left and either goes over top of somebody or is able to pump and go past them if it's a big player like Wendell Carter Junior.
Speaker 3: So he is feeling better now.
Speaker 5: Those were mostly dunks that he had last night, and those are he's taken the path when it's there. He doesn't really have that go to move that everyone expected coming into the season, but that spin, he's ready to plant that foot and do something with it.
Speaker 1: So that's better.
Speaker 5: But I do agree that who is going to be their second best player, Who is going to be their go to guy? They need Garland and again both toes have been a problem. I just don't know if he's going to be on the floor. And so you can see it that they've got depth coming through and these young guys and Jalen Tyson has been for again awesome. There's lots of guys coming through, but I don't know if they have guys you can depend on. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Trey Kirby recently, well today I should say, dropped Week fifteen Power rankings, Calves a little up, cracking the top ten, but the magic falling all the way to twenty first TK with the little down arrow and then you wrote I want to get you to elaborate on this the magic I'm out, So yeah, expand on that.
Speaker 4: Changes they're needed. I don't know what it's gonna be. I mean, Franz didn't play last night. You can't blame it on Polo and Franz. Though Paula was hooping, he had finished with thirty nine, thirty seven let me see, let me see, so like an actually accurate throwing down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But also like I'm listening to the broadcast and Brad Doherty's like he reminds me of Demarta Rosen. I was like, uh, Demarta Rosen is good, but he is a mid range player that hasn't had a whole bunch of playoff success. And that's not what Paula's should be. That's not what he should be as a player. A mid range trying to get to nineteen footers doesn't make any sense at all. You look at their defense. I think they're maybe fifteenth on the year, but their bottom ten in fast break points allowed, They're bottom ten in points in the paint. How does that even make sense? They've got giants out there. Yeah, they can never be good on offense. I don't think it is ever gonna happen with the coach they have and with the schemes that they're trying to run. Because one guy starts dribbling and nobody else is guarded, there's four other guys just waiting in the lane the entire time. Deathmond Bain is the only threatening three point shooter. I just don't see this team as good enough offensively now that they've fallen off on the defensive end. They need to be a top five defensive team, and they need to, like hope to be twentieth on the offensive end. I think they're twentieth right now, which is like a great season for the Magic offensively, but they just don't have the right mix. They don't have the enough creativity, I don't think I don't think they have enough playmaking. They just don't get anything from their perimeter guys outside of like scavenging points is what it feels like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're a half court offense. It's tough to watch. I mean, even if Franz is there, for being completely honest, cause it's like, come over, they set a pick for one of their guys, Paalo or Franz, they get sort of a mismatch and then everybody just stands around and they're just watching. It's like, all right, see what you guys can do. See if you can barrel your're in there or get your shot. And it's like nobody's a three point threat. And you know, another rough game last night, eleven to thirty nine. They can't, like nobody can shoot really outside of Desmond Bane. He hasn't had a lights out season, so it's tough and I wonder will they will they make a move here at the deadline as we had closer and closer. What is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it.
Speaker 5: It reminds me of the Raptors a little bit, where they need a little bit from everybody. And if Franz is in there slashing, then you can hope you can depend on Desmond Ban, Anthony black A.
Speaker 3: Jalen sucks to do that as well.
Speaker 5: And I don't mention Palabon Caro because he should be able to do that and he should be able to pass, but he is more of a mid range type of guy. So yeah, they're just kind of relying on all those guys to contribute. I don't know why Franz went and played in Europe and then all of a sudden can play again. You know, the injury is bugging him. Maybe he should have just stayed out longer instead of having to play in his home country. That was strange, and this whole team is strange watching them without Franz. When Franz is in there, he is their motor to get all those other guys, as I mentioned, going to get more slashing because they don't have it. It is a jump shooting team.
Speaker 1: It feels like the baton has been passed between these two teams of like disappointing teams this year because it was Cleveland.
Speaker 2: For a very long stretch.
Speaker 1: They sort of got to going down and they just handed it over to the Magic, Like all right, you're the new disappointing team here in the Eastern Conference because they should be better than this. It's like three years running where they had the exact same record. It was like, what was it, twenty three and twenty one. They're now twenty three and twenty two after another loss last night, like after big additions. Obviously the big Desmond main move too. Part of an injury, yes, but at a certain point it's like it's what they run, it's the personnel. It just doesn't make sense in today's modern NBA especially, Yeah, thoughts.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think the Magic had a good stretch this year.
Speaker 1: No, well, right, I'm saying I'm saying the Cavs were more disappointing. I think maybe just because of expectations. They were assisted four year Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they weren't kicking ass. They were fourteen and ten. That was there. Yeah, that was peak. Yeah, Yeah, that's what it felt like. That was the front best.
Speaker 5: Franz as the number one guy, and then he got hurt and then it all helped them.
Speaker 4: We'll see what they do if they do anything. That's hard for them to do anything. I know they traded everything Desmond Bane and it hasn't worked. They didn't change anything. They're like Desmond Bane. You'r KCP for US and KCP had a down season when he was there for the met at least he played defense. At least defense. I don't know. Uh, they just need some They need like an offensive coordinator cause like literally just compare them to the Raptors. They move the ball like crazy, guys are cutting everywhere. Compare them to the Charlotte Hornets. They play fast, They've got a lot of movement on the weak side. When LaMelo's doing something up at the top the magic. It's like, can you score one on one or can you draw people and maybe hit a wide open three pointer? That's the only question, or like that's the only strategy they have offensively. So yeah, they need somebody who has ideas on the offensive end. It feels like to me, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's take a quick twenty second time out here in the updown report because I want to show you the other games from last night, and then we'll go back to the thumbs up and thumbs down. Here's the slate of games he had. The Celtics winning at home against the Blazers, Big Hornets win. I'm sure we're gonna talk about that. In a second. Hawks beat the Pacers. That game was moved up. They scored a whole bunch of points. Lakers beat the Bulls. Talked about that. Wolves got a little revenge over the Warriors, but a bunch of guys didn't play in it. In the Rockets beat the grizz TK any of those games you want to.
Speaker 4: Jump on, Yeah, Alprin Cheng Gun was hilarious last night, thirty three points on fifteen of seventeen, shooting one of his Misses was a three point grenade, so he basically went fifteen for sixteen. He had won real miss last night, and he looked absolutely offended to me that the Grizzly decided to guard him with Santi al Dama. He went at him every single time, and he hit him with the left to right spin move every single time. Santy had no clue why was Jaron Jackson Junior not guarding him? I mean he got cooked too. Yeah, but it was finally enough like shng Gon had literally done four straight spin moves. It was hilarious on Santi al Dama at this point, drew foul on one, scored on the other three, so they're like, all right, we got to send out our defensive player of the year same move. It was ridiculous. The Grizzlies have given up is kind of what it felt like to me, and shan Gun was just beastial. Kevin Durant also had thirty three. This was a nice win for the Rockets. They turned it on the second half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think the Grizzlies have given up. I mean they are leading this game by eight and a third quarter, but yeah, the defensive move was kind of weird.
Speaker 1: No, I don't get it.
Speaker 5: Oldman knew it was coming, he knew that spin was common, but he got every single time. Yeah, as far as the Rockets go, it's funny we never talked about Dorian Facemith, not for one second. He is I think even though he's not shooting well because he has been injured, he is contributing more and he looks like he's more part of the team. And we'll hopefully see Fred van Vliet come back. I mean it's almost February. Not a word about Fred van Vliet. This is an interesting part for the Rockets. Do they make a move to go get another ball handler because I don't see Fred being able to come back and just be Fred because last year he wasn't when he was out for a long period of time. I don't know if he's trying to be you know, MJ in ninety five, trying to just come back and be like, you know, I'm MJ.
Speaker 3: But that that's that's the unfortunate part for the Rockets. That's a good question.
Speaker 5: As for like those afternoon games you mentioned the Hornets beating the Sixers, that Hornet's starting lineup. They're now nine and one, when they start together. LaMelo, Conkin, Nipple, Brandon Knight, Miles Bridges. I don't know why I call him.
Speaker 2: With this one. This one is strange to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need a new name. I need a new name for him.
Speaker 4: Brandon Miller's better than Brandon Knight has ever been. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's playing awesome right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then Moussa Diaba.
Speaker 5: He should be mentioned as well, because I think that's how they play defense.
Speaker 3: Is that guy switching everything but.
Speaker 5: Those other guys, LaMelo especially not trying to be the LaMelo we all know and trying to shoot. Every time he's playmaking, he's literally saying, Okay, I'm playing really well.
Speaker 3: Is it just because it's before the trade deadline? I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I think he's just buying in to not being the guy at all times. So they moved it a ton and Brandon Knight. Don't call me Brandon Miller. He had thirty.
Speaker 3: I changed it up. I changed it. I know it's Brandon Miller. Don't call me grandite. But his shooting was I mean, that was the Obviously they're healthy and they're playing really well together. That's the best part.
Speaker 5: This is the best time in Charlotte Hornet's basketball history in the last five years and.
Speaker 1: In a very long time. Yeah. Yeah, they're twelve and ten, I think in their last twenty two games, and their offense is arguably the best in the league. During this stretch, they outscored the Sixers eighty one to thirty seven, and the second and third quarters combined last night. There was no Jowell Empie, there was no Paul George, but there was a bunch of other guys playing for the Sixers. And then Nikki said, man, the Hornets with this starting lineup. You had your eye on them for a while, TK, and they're continuing to play. And the Diabante part guise like just everywhere he is out there to not really worry about scoring or he's obviously not a shooter. It's okay, we got enough of those. You do all the dirty work. And he seems to be reveling in that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, his sweet is good. Twelve points last night, six to seven shooting. He had four dunks. He was doing this running up and down the moose celebration.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 4: I love to see a low level player with his own signature celebration. Twelve dunks on the night for the Hornets, including six for Ryan kalk Renner. He had one that was like an alley open, barely tipped it in, and Eric Collins says to Dell Curry, are they gonna give him a dunk for that? And Dell says yeah, he goes. Eric Collins goes, heck, yeah, I thought that was so funny. Miller, though, thirty points last night, six of eight from three, scored twenty or more in seven straight games. They're plus five points per one hundred possessions with LaMelo, Miller and Conkin Nipple on the floor, they fall to minus ten points per one hundred possesions when it's just k Nipple and Miller. Lamello is good and he is helping the team win. You're right. His usage is down, his assist percentage is up, and he gets off the ball. He's making better decisions. He still makes a lot of dump If it's a clutch game, he's probably going to take it bad a three pointer at some point. But he's grown up a little bit. Yeah, the talent around him has gotten better. He's trusting him more and it's making everybody on the team better. So this is kind of like idealized version of Lamello ball right here. He can still get better, for sure, he can still get smarter about the way he plays. But he's playing winning basketball right now, and I don't think that's something people ever say about LaMelo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's a good stretch. It's a good stretch. As far as the moose celebration, I mean, the Bucks do it from time to time, not very rarely. Myles Turner and pull it out. Ganis has pulled it out. Who should have it? Who should don't? Just because his name is Musa Diabat.
Speaker 4: But he's never dunked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was his first three of the season last night as well? Was it Miles?
Speaker 4: Doesn't you know they didn't give him a three for that? He had a foot on the line. Oh, the people celebrating like crazy he was.
Speaker 5: He did belong to Unfortunately, Plumbley was even celebrating with him, like, wow, you can shoot man, that's cool. Did do a lot before we move on? Do we like their halftime thing? Basically fans is a line of fans. I guess because they bumped up this game from a night game to an afternoon they didn't have the same halftime show.
Speaker 2: There's been a.
Speaker 1: Lot of weird halftime performances because of all the moving around of start times and stuff.
Speaker 5: But so it was just like ten fans line up, you get to have half court shots. Essentially, they knew each one's name. They came out, they had a little drum rollo, and then they took one and.
Speaker 3: They won one hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, banker was only a thousand bucks.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, they have that's it.
Speaker 1: It's like that's a lot of payout, a low payout a game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you guys get lower?
Speaker 1: I forgot to bring it up on yesterday's podcast. Did you guys see the Spurs guy that hit the half court shot? It went off the shot clock. Oh wow, hit shot clock first?
Speaker 4: That nobody he did it hit.
Speaker 1: The shot clock first. Must have thrown it to the moon and then but it literally dropped in.
Speaker 2: Cool and like Jordan who's like he's like faces, like, holy crab.
Speaker 1: That was try that.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I thought they count more.
Speaker 3: Should they count that if it hits the shock lock?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes in and goes in. I mean, you're lucky as hell, but yes, I should give you more money.
Speaker 3: But you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't count that ANBA watch player, I guess it would be technically out for an NBA I think so, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think so. Not to get all Joe bor, but.
Speaker 1: That's where they were the Headsets. Now they're watching half court shots during the halftime performance. Joe BORGI is like, call it off, no thousand dollars for him. But it was great to see the Hornets playing well right now. I just like always get terrified when we ever do notice the Hornets are doing something great. Especially Brandon Miller comes to mind because we've done this before where he had a really nice stretch and then.
Speaker 2: He inevitably gets hurt.
Speaker 1: Like I don't want to look at it, I don't want to talk about it. But Hornets fans, good fan base. They're having a lot of winning obviously, so they're getting back.
Speaker 2: I mean there's still.
Speaker 1: Obviously well below five hundred, but sniff in all play in I think they're three and a half maybe back somely that maybe three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Hawk's gotta win yesterday as well, so three and a half for the Hornets. But Dyson Daniels did make his first three pointer since December fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody was on fire.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he took three of them. He doesn't usually take that many. That's a lot and you could see though the one went in. But the form is he just he fades back a little bit on the shot. It's just an odd form. Why isn't our man leelis out there guiding him. But the fact that he took three shots, he made one of them, I guess that's positive stuf.
Speaker 1: But the dunk that he had that was all right. Back to the updown report, there will be no return of the Mac. You guys like music music.
Speaker 4: That's a rap.
Speaker 1: Mac McClung, the three time defending NBA Dunk Contest champion, will not participate in the event next month in La McClung told an interviewer over the weekend that he would not compete this year, and he added in an X post that he will release the dunks week came up with after the contest. We will see the dunks that maybe he would have done if he was in there, but he's not going to do it. I guess his father also said, yeah, Max taking this one.
Speaker 2: Off, so I want to start a trade here.
Speaker 1: So Tray's had a lot of opinions in the past on Mac McClung and the Dunk Contest. Up or down on Mac McClung, you know, sitting this one out here, he's.
Speaker 4: Done his part. Thank you to Mac McClung for coming in being at least entertaining UH in the Dunk contest, though I did laugh when he was saying that he hasn't prepped for a fourth contract for a fourth contest, and also it's kind of odd that he's not in it since this was his first year having a standard NBA Like, weird, you're really an NBA player now, Not that he's played a ton, no, but at least he got a standard NBA contract. But I did see UH, and I think ESPN's right up that he doesn't like being known as only a dunker. Nobody does, but this guy is certainly known he as only a dunker. So thank you for your service.
Speaker 1: Okayla, what do you think, casser down? Are you sad that Mac mcclomby isn't back here to you know, defend his title three years.
Speaker 5: In a row running, considering how good he's been, I am a little surprised and a little disappointed because I know he would participate and he would be good. I understand he doesn't want to be known as a dunker. I get that too late. Yeah, it's the real Zach Lavine, Vince Carter even scenario. Everybody doesn't want to be a dunker, even though you're an incredible dunker.
Speaker 1: But I would have liked to see him.
Speaker 5: Uh And and it's obvious that he had He's literally has been prepping them as as.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, in the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: So what is what's what's the deal? Why not go out there and do it?
Speaker 5: If you've literally been practicing, You're you're confident enough in them that you're going to release them afterwards, like he's going to release some sort of video of this is what I had planned, but I didn't pull it out. It's just a little surprising, Yeah it is. I mean, he's he's g leaguing it right now. I couldn't believe to see that he had played on five and NBA teams literally played five on five NBA played a nine games, nine games, he got it.
Speaker 3: He's got five jerseys if they were quick runs with each team. I'm just a little surprised.
Speaker 4: He's a Windy City Bowl right now.
Speaker 1: I believe, Yeah, he is. He is a bull. I also made a note that you brought up trade. It is funny this is the one year he's not going in it because he did have an actual contract with the Pacers there. He only played like three games, but he did have his first ever standard NBA contract that he signed back in the late October. But I'm also thumbs up on this. I do wonder this whole thing is like I have the dunks and all that, like, is it possible at the league? I was like, all right, let's try and get some like new guys in here, new blood in here. Maybe that's good sign that some guys have said yes, I don't know, and that they allowed Mac McClung to like almost say like I'm electing to not go in it. I have no idea if that's true or not, because also the league probably would want him in because he has a good show and he has put on a pretty good performance the last three three years running. So I don't know, but uh so, there's so many other guys that.
Speaker 2: Have it's just a little odd that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I'm just wondering, is the NBA like, okay, let's we've had a great run of Mac McClung. And now let's get some new guys in here. Yeah, and then Mac you can say you're not going to Yeah, and then maybe you want to come back next year. We'll do that. But anyway, we'll see. I did see online on social media Chuck Milan, the official dunk coach of the NBA. He think he helped Mac mclung win those three titles. If I remember correctly, he was spending time in San Antonio. Saw him in the gym. Does that mean Castle is going to give it a go again? Somebody else on that team Bryant maybe maybe, so that'd be fun. Yep, he was in San Antonio, so you gotta assume somebody was from the from the squad is going to at least compete again.
Speaker 4: So we'll see number one guy I want in the dunk contest this year, Bronnie James.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I saw him do an East Bay recently. Him Lebron going back to back, father and son go in between the legs. They're in LA. I mean, he's like similar to Mac mcclun. He is on the edge G League an NBA. He's a good athlete. This could be like a good people have always wanted to see Lebron James in the dunk contest. Wow, let's give it to him. Ron James, j But's hill.
Speaker 1: You know, that's how they sell Lebron James and.
Speaker 5: Michae will be Jordan. Yeah, the old Lebron would Probably he'll give him some passes, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: He'll be there.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's a good one. I like the idea of trying to get some small guys in there, some shorter guys to take over mac mcclough.
Speaker 5: I think Malik Monk should do it. I know he's older. He's older. Nice, he's a great dunker.
Speaker 2: It looks cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, next one here. Trey mentioned this on Monday's pod. Rich Homie Flom, a blogger who covers the La Clippers. He wrote on axt a few weeks ago, if the Clippers go fifteen and three in any stretch this season, I will print and eat this tweet. Well, the Clippers have gone fifteen and three, and true to his word, Flom printed the tweet and ate it on the podcast last night. I was just a short clip of a guy taking a piece of paper and putting in his mouth and swallowing it. But it was a longer show. He spaced it out over the length of the show. Yeah, it was like thirty minutes plus him taking down pieces of paper. So I'll start with you task up or down on rich Homie Flom eating his clippers tweet.
Speaker 3: Absolutely up.
Speaker 5: Respect to Rich Homi Flamm for doing it eating an eight by eleven piece of paper.
Speaker 3: It sounds like if he ate it for thirty five minutes. I only watched the clip. I only tuned in.
Speaker 5: He has a podcast, but I didn't watch all thirty five. I thought he's eating it. He ripped him off and he ate it, But it sounds like he ate a whole piece of paper.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was the entire sheet, but it was a good part of the tweet, Like have you printed it off and then maybe cut it out? Yeah, I don't think it was the whole whole sheet.
Speaker 5: I'm up on it because he didn't put it in a mixer. He didn't make it part of a drink.
Speaker 2: As I love the shrug out to eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just going with it.
Speaker 5: Though she didn't didn't put water on it. That seems like a dry piece of paper.
Speaker 1: He had some sort of sauce or water. He had the Yeah, he had something he.
Speaker 4: Said he was going to use, soy yeah, something.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for him. You're giving it all right, what.
Speaker 2: Do you think, nails.
Speaker 4: He's a man of his word. He did it, and he said it was going to be anti climactic, and it was. He told the truth the entire time, piece by piece. Smart for the tummy, yeah, not as good for content. You did all at once, yep. Yeah, that's how we would have done it. Let's be honest there, That's how we would have done it. You wouldn't have torn it into small pieces to make it more eatasily digestible. He just would have chalked it on down. But this is what Twitter is supposed to be about. Not supposed to be about fighting with each other. It's supposed to be about making hilarious jokes that somehow make their way to the actual NBA. Like we said, people were canting eat that tweet during the game. The Clippers played like that is that's like a twenty twelve era Twitter kind of stunt and I love to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the Clippers were asked about a bunch of their players, John Collins said, get your fiber in man, make.
Speaker 3: Sure should you take care of that?
Speaker 5: Jim Jackson, the analyst on the Clippers broadcast, said, put it in some water. Yeah, Tyler said, yeah, get it printed for him. Let him know that this is happening. You had the Kawhi Leonard thing say he shouldn't do it. I don't think that's healthy or whatever.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 5: So everybody getting it on it. Everybody getting that. The Twitter love that. The Twitter tweets for the record.
Speaker 1: Flom now says the Clippers will finish forty five and thirty seven. Cool, So I don't think you put anything on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, just so you know, Yeah, he said, I'm not eating any more of this. Understandable. I didn't realize when we first started talking about this that the Clippers started their fifteen and three run the day he tweeted that. Yeah, it was like the next December twenty. You're eating right now.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: It's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, it is wild that he went.
Speaker 1: Somebody said it yesterday he went the Clippers went the exact record that he tweeted.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it is weird, Like fifteen and three is sort of a nod thing to say.
Speaker 2: Sure, so they ever go fifteen to three this year over an eighteen game stretch.
Speaker 1: I'll eat this tweet. It's like, it's just so strange. It's like Bill Simmons doing this type of weird numbers. All right, let me give you the top seventeen plays. But they did it, and yeah, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: It was funny. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Tyler was told that that's what the original tweet was.
Speaker 3: He said, what exactly fifteen and three? That's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like how Tyler doesn't believe everything on the internet.
Speaker 3: He questioned that. He said, what, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Just some stats about the Clippers trying to get into the playoffs here after starting six and twenty one. I saw this going around. Of the one hundred and twenty one teams that started an NBA season with a record of six and twenty one or worse, only two actually reached the post in that year. They are a very memorable team. The fifty two to fifty three Baltimore Bullets. Oh yeah, yeah, listen to this. They finished sixteen and fifty four. They made the playoffs. Yeah, yeah, that's when they finished fourth in a five team division in a year when eight of the NBA's ten teams made the postseason.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's bad now?
Speaker 1: I think we have too many teams making the postseason.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: They that year fifty two to fifty three is at the East.
Speaker 1: What's called Yeah, they were yeah, whatever it was called. They're in that side.
Speaker 5: The era of the NBA, you know, early two thousands was bad in the East.
Speaker 3: But that, yeah, go back.
Speaker 1: To the fifties.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 4: I looked at the team, the names they have on this all right.
Speaker 2: Give me some Baltimore Bullets from fifteen.
Speaker 4: Their leading scorer was Fred Scolari. Scores a lot fourteen points per game, but I definitely like Bob pretty, ray Lump and Dick Bunt. I did make a breath, bro to say Dick Bunt only four points per game for Dick Bunts ray Lump over to Dick Bun.
Speaker 2: The other team to finish that stat.
Speaker 1: Eighty four eighty five Cleveland Cavaliers, And this is a more normal record, thirty six and forty six they finished, but that got him in to the postseason. So down year, I guess there in the East as well. So the Clippers are trying to do, you know, a pretty rarefied air here to start six and twenty one and to actually make the postseason, it would be pretty shocking. And it's like the chances are pretty high right now with these other teams falling off. I mean that's the thing. Will account if they make the play In? No, shouldn't, right, they got to get into the postseason. Yeah, I win a couple of games, maybe they do. Yeah, there's some jokes in there.
Speaker 5: The first team that Chris Paul ever played on that was started six and twenty one has entered the play In or has entered the postseason or whatever, because the Chris Paul era was part of the the negative side of things. But also Kawhi Leonard just coming alive and being one of the best players in the game the last while.
Speaker 3: He's been incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's aspirational.
Speaker 2: Final one.
Speaker 1: We had some breaking news at halftime in Chicago last night with Derek Rose's jersey being retired over the weekend. Benny the Bull has officially changed his uniform from number one to number ninety nine. Trey up or down on Benny's the Bull changing his uni to number ninety nine.
Speaker 4: I hate to say I'm down.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, why he wore it first.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: He's a Hall of Famer. They stot retired it for both of them. And I also think ninety nine is a really weird choice. Sixty six for the year it started, that would have made sense, Okay, would look weird on basketball uniform six for six titles. Ooh, ninety six for the seventy two and ten team. Like, I think there are other choices.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Yeah, I mean Kobe White is wearing it.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's a little weird.
Speaker 2: I think he should have kept one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not a player. Yeah, you can wear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm down on this too.
Speaker 2: It doesn't I mean, it doesn't look right.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I don't like it.
Speaker 5: Bullet ye yeah right, And he did it first. I was watching in the first quarter. There was a break in play and they teased this. They had a little blanket over whatever, cover over it, and they said, all right, we'll here we are, We're going to reveal the number that Bull is going to wear. Here he goes here we go five four three two? What wait till halftime? He uncovered it outside waity till LFT time. Yeah, they got me too. I was waiting for it. I was waiting for a number. But yeah, Benny has been there longer than Derekrose forever. Yeah, as Todd said. Todd was on the mic in game Arena guy, he said he's been there for what twenty twenty something, twenty four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think two thousand and four is when they came out with this version of Ben.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not the same person inside, so kind of lied to us, Tod either way. Yeah, the one is better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like I sort of like him still rocking the one because then you're reminded of Derek Rose even exactly. Yeah, there was quite a bit of backlash to this, so I wonder if they'll actually go back to one.
Speaker 5: Reason for ninety nine, oh other because tre brings up a good point, you know something.
Speaker 3: Six I think for the title.
Speaker 1: Junny the Bull loves hockey for the great one.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they did.
Speaker 1: But unless I missed it, they're just like a number that nobody would wear.
Speaker 4: I guess they're like, Okay, I've had a lot of guys in the nineties. That's true that Drew gooden Ward ninety Rodman War ninety one. I think that's is that it?
Speaker 5: Speaking of hockey, you know, you know how broadcaster he gets all the assignments of saying things about the opposing team air calls of the Hornets said something about Quentin Grimes of the seventy six ers.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that his brother plays in the NHL.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 5: That's that's the first brothers, first pair of brothers that has played in the NBA and the NHL period.
Speaker 3: Full stop. Hu.
Speaker 1: Now we've had a father son by Jones, right, yeah, high draft pick. Yeah, Oh that's I did not know Grimes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's his name is Tyler Myers. They share the same mom.
Speaker 3: And that's it.
Speaker 5: Tyler Myers played in the NHL for a long real time.
Speaker 1: He still played.
Speaker 2: Oh who's he played for?
Speaker 5: I think he plays for the Canucks. Yeah, up north Tyler Myers.
Speaker 2: All right, that's the updown report.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from you guys in the stream team and you podcast listeners up or down, especially that last one. How do you have strong opinions about Benny the Bolt chaining his uniform numbered in. We're going to take a break and when we come back, we're going to draft the rising stars teams.
Speaker 4: It's the last call for football on FanDuel one Final Sunday one last kickoff, the final chance to place your bets before the NFL season closes its tab. This is Super Bowl sixty and FanDuel is making sure that you're in on it. If you're a new customer, bet five dollars and get two hundred dollars in bonus bets if you win. So, whether you're back in the favorite, riding with the underdog, or building one last same game parlay, make it count. I was looking at the Fan Dual NFL tab today, novelty has been added.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: You can pick the coin toss minus one oh four for both sides. It's gonna betails though guarantees you're calling tails. It's gonna be tails. Wow, this is the year for tales. You also pick the color of the Gatorade current favorite orange plus two twenty, followed by yellow slash green. You know, like lemon line, Yeah, blue, purple, clear slash water or red pink.
Speaker 3: That's wow.
Speaker 4: I mean I do like to see orange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're a fan of the color arms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but favor Gatorated flavor would be yellow slash green.
Speaker 1: I'm a purple guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I was thinking yellow is going to be the color traditional.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our father's state dge. After the Super Bowl, the season's over.
Speaker 1: Did you know that?
Speaker 2: Yes, after the Super Bowl, the.
Speaker 4: Season's over and football is officially done. It's the last call for football and FanDuel, an official sportsbook partner of Super Bowl sixty. Visit FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started.
Speaker 2: Where is super Bowl sixty taking place?
Speaker 3: California?
Speaker 1: Santa Clara?
Speaker 3: All right, I don't know. I know it's in the state of California.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so it's gonna be warm. This is why I'm asking because I'm freezing cold right now.
Speaker 4: I'm so cold and.
Speaker 1: Dreaming of VI Stadium. Where is that, Santa Clara?
Speaker 4: That's right, bring you jeans.
Speaker 5: I imagine the stadium will be closed either way, it's not going to be played outdoors.
Speaker 1: Oh is it a dope?
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's not. Actually no, I just I just have I just had a Google.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never know, you're just at a Google.
Speaker 4: We asked earlier in the show, is it good to be sick when it's cold?
Speaker 2: Six people voted no, No, yeah, but I disagree.
Speaker 4: Would you rather be sick when it's warm?
Speaker 1: No way exactly.
Speaker 4: But I mean, you know, maybe people are just voting for no sickness. Yeah. Yeah, maybe I didn't phrase it perfectly.
Speaker 1: So this is the best time to be sick, Okay, Okay, because I'm not, I don't have to go out anywhere. Yeah, I have to, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: After this, I'm just going to wrap up.
Speaker 1: Hit the catch. That's right, Yeah, right, okay, that's my point too. Okay, guys, if you're just joining us, Hit the Light Bund subscribed. The twenty twenty six Castro Rising Stars were announced last night on Peacock. The annual showcase will once again feature a mini tournament with four teams and three games, spotlighting the league's top rookies and second year standouts and some G leaguers. The selected NBA players will be drafted onto three teams tonight on Peacock. That's when they're doing it. That's when they're doing their draft. But we don't need to wait. We can do it first before we get to deciding on the order and how we're going to draft these. I was reminded that a couple of years ago, we spent five minutes playing Bay Blades to decide who would draft number one. It is so goddamn funny us trying to play bay Blades here at the desk. I was laughing my ass up. You couldn't get and not get this damn thing to work, and when you finally did on your last rip, it missed the arena and went flying in the studio. Anyway, it was very funny and I pulled it off. I think in the end, I think I had the number one pick. But we're not doing it again this year.
Speaker 3: A yeah, those were fun.
Speaker 1: Actually, it had to have been the worst five minutes of podcasting of all that.
Speaker 2: We're not at our mic. We're like yelling, just.
Speaker 1: Like, oh.
Speaker 3: So crazy for us for the listener.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: That was not for you. But I thought, I don't care.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna draft third, but I want to decide between you guys who gets the first pick in a Rising Stars draft.
Speaker 3: I think you got the best pick. Third. Snak in it right now.
Speaker 1: We didn't snake the last year at the time we did this, so we don't need a snake. I don't care who. This is literally just filling a block.
Speaker 3: I'm so locked in.
Speaker 5: I watched NBA TV do this last night oh did they They did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna do it better.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna do Okay, fine, but here's how we're going to decide, and I want to sort of if you guys are good, I want to go back and forth until somebody cannot name a name. Here's how we're deciding the number one pick in our Rising Stars draft. You guys need to name any player from last year's Rising Stars winning team.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I'm gonna let you go first. I think there's one very obvious answer.
Speaker 1: But I mean, this is the Rising Stars and nobody even remembers so very obviously, or jump in. You know what if you know a guy from the Rising Starts winning to you last year, say it, Oh it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I want you say very obvious.
Speaker 2: Well, there's an MVP, so maybe you remembered the MVP.
Speaker 3: Well, I was thinking it was the Rookie of the Year last year, but it wasn't overall for the whole season. But I guess it wasn't.
Speaker 1: We'll say the name wasn't Castle, it was okay, yeah, okay, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Got one name. Now, Trey, you have one.
Speaker 1: Chance here to keep this going or tass will get the number one picked Shepherd. No, sorry, it was Castle, MVP, Dalton Connect, Keyante, George Ryan Dunn, Zach Edie, Jalen Wells, and Trace Jackson Davis. That was your winning team last year.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: The final score twenty five to fourteen tournament, fucking hat tournaments. That's the one thing I hate about these tournaments. To score five so stupid looking. Oh, I want MVP scored eight points.
Speaker 2: You know, I hate it. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why this tournament style is not ideal for these rosters. It would be great to go back to the rookies versus sophomore in this case.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially in this case. Yeah, yeah, yes. All right, Well, let's show you the rising Stars pool here, podcast listeners. I'm not going to read all the names, but we will say all these guys because we're gonna draft them all.
Speaker 2: But there they are.
Speaker 1: We have ten rookies, we have eleven sophomores. Again, we're gonna have three teams here. These will be drafted into squads and then there will be the G League team. We'll show you that in a second. I'll say the most notable missing name I mean, it's sort of pretty crazy if you're a Hawks fan. Zachary Resachet not on this now. He's injured right now, so maybe I played a part. He's been out for like three weeks here. I think he's missed some time. But number one pick last year not on it.
Speaker 3: Not good. Ace Bailey not being on there either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no jazz rookie, I thought was a bit surprising in Acet Bailey or Walton Clayton junior.
Speaker 5: Or any sophomore they got. They have three sophomores not on here yep.
Speaker 1: And then uh, the only other one on the other one Like no Caleb Love, who's had a really good year for the Blazers. Now he's like he's an old rookies, like one of these twenty four year old rookies. But they had to draw the line somewhere.
Speaker 3: He could trade the team. Mike, Yes, well, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think he's playing in the G I don't think he is young, hasn't. We'll show him later.
Speaker 3: Wait iought he would, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: You have famously said before they'll trade there are no snubs when it comes to the rising stars. Cool, that's right, And so even if we named some guys that maybe could have made it tough luck.
Speaker 4: You're saying, yeah, tough luck, get better for next year.
Speaker 1: There you go, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Where's no last sun?
Speaker 1: Gay?
Speaker 4: He played one second year?
Speaker 1: You're coming for a second. I was like, get out of here, all right. So tass, you got the number one pick. Uh, we don't need to snake. Let's just go one two three, one two three, perfectly making our way around the table. So I think this is a little interesting where you go, because there's like, what three maybe four guys you could convince yourself for deserving of a number one pick here in the Rising Stars, it.
Speaker 3: Is an interesting one.
Speaker 5: I'm going with a guy's name who we've said a billion times, it's Cooper Flag time. I would like to see him be prideful and try and win this thing. Is he already done a little too much this season where this game doesn't.
Speaker 1: Mean a ton to him?
Speaker 3: You know, like, does he does he care about this game? That's the question.
Speaker 5: God, I think I think he should. I think he will the game. I shouldn't say does he care about this game? Does he care about these games?
Speaker 1: Tournament?
Speaker 3: You have to play.
Speaker 5: Several games, several games I guess it's just two.
Speaker 3: It's two, right, Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it just too?
Speaker 5: I think it is too unlike what happens on Sunday, which is a little round robin thing, or play three games if you get to the fund.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, this one is just there's two semi finals games and then there's the anyways, they played a forty I think in the semi finals game they played twenty.
Speaker 5: Te so not several. Several does not count us too. Good luck to Cooper flag okay, number one pick?
Speaker 4: I thought several was seven?
Speaker 1: Nice survivor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I might take Jolinski here.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus, Okay, who do you got?
Speaker 4: I'm taking the only three time rising Star on the board. Mantas Boozellis. Oh wow, yeah, he played for the G League. Now he had a game winner in a Rising Stars tournament game. He's got the experience. Mantus Bozellis, You're on my team.
Speaker 1: Okay, good pick good pick?
Speaker 4: Sure? Are there better players? Maybe? Look, hey, nobody's played as much as him.
Speaker 1: He's good. He's good. I will I thought maybe, I thought maybe this guy potential that he would go number one, and that is Kanker Nipple. Yep, so I thought about if the Hornets rook who's obviously Matt efficient, who in these type of games when it's not a lot of defense being played and just fire up threes? Who's a better three point shoter than this guy from these rosters? I don't think anybody, So uh, I'll take I'll take con I'm a conhead.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're not snaking.
Speaker 2: No, we're not sneaking back to you.
Speaker 5: Good good, because now I get to take a guy who played high school basketball with Cooper Flag Derek Queen. Wow, like two years together, and you know he could be in the conversation for Rookie of the Year. He's not gonna win Rookie the Year, but he's very very good, a big man who could pass and shoot it.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be fun to play with Derek.
Speaker 1: Queen on the board.
Speaker 2: This is like fun.
Speaker 1: Here, like four guys selected already, three of them rookies, and a lot of people were pointing out when you looked at the rookie selections, it's like all lottery picks. Yes, And then you look at the sophomores and it's like a lot more of like second rounders and late first round picks. And stuff like that speaks to the draft obviously. But TK, you got your fifth pick here overall.
Speaker 4: Raining Rookie of the Year, reigning rising Stars, m VP. I gotta go Stopt.
Speaker 3: It's a good pick.
Speaker 4: I got to, mister, you got to.
Speaker 1: You got the old guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got the old guys. Building a defensive backbone with Boozellis and Castle trying to hold teams the fourteen?
Speaker 1: All right, who am I pairing with khan Ka Nipple. I'm sticking with a rook Give me, give me VJ. Edgecombe of the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Nice, probably third on most people's list of Rookie of the Year race when it goes con Or Cooper one, two and then and then VJ.
Speaker 2: So I got two rooks, two exciting rooks.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 2: Back to you.
Speaker 3: Tasks, Where do I go?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with Dylan Harper because if we're looking at tweets and just everything going around while this game is happening, him going against his brother Ron Harper Junior, who plays for the G League team, might get some clicks. So I'm doing everything I can. I'm playing every sort of direction here. Give me Dylan Harper Okay, Trey.
Speaker 4: I need some shooting on my team. I got Boozells and Castle, so I'll go with Reed Shepherd.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, I'm going all sophomores here. Read Shepherd his second time playing in this as well. He was a g leaguer last year.
Speaker 4: It was only on the did not make.
Speaker 1: The rookie team.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. They snuck him in there like they've done with a couple of guys this year, chip On Young and uh all right, Reied Shepherd got some shooting, Yeah he could. He could fill it up in this game too. That's a good pick.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Back to me Ooh, he's a little banged up right now. Will he be back in time because I'm taking a Homer pick here? Yeah, I'm with your task. Give me Colin Murray Boyles, little playmaking from my big two here to go with my shooters and my high flyer and VJ. So I got three rookies building a straight rookie team.
Speaker 5: I think that means he will be back, considering they put him on this list. Yeah, so that's a good sign.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: All right, who we go with? Who's coming to play with? Cooper flag Derrek Queen and Dylan Harper. There's a plenty of options here on the board. I'm gonna take Cam Spencer. I know he'll be ready to play.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: If there's anything that may be lacking in these games.
Speaker 5: It's a little fireball, a little heart, and I know Cam Spencer's going to bring that. Oh yeah, a winner, some would call him. He's on my team.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to you, Trey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Schumann is here in the stream team. He's advocating for somebody to try and get all the Yukon guys on the same team. But now those hopes are dashed as Castle and Spencer have been separated. Too bad. I could go clinging here. Yeah, he has a low on my draft. Yeah, he doesn't like dirty work guys.
Speaker 3: I don't want him.
Speaker 4: I only want highlights, and for that reason, it's a toss up. Give me Jeremiah Fears Jeremiah. Okay, don't be surprised if he has the best highlights coming out of the Rising Stars draft. Crazy handle, he could do something. Yeah, Kyrie Irving on brand new fighte sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that. Okay, back to me here. My fourth pick. I got con VJ and CMB I'm gonna take my first sophomore.
Speaker 2: Would he be there another round?
Speaker 1: Probably? Is he one of the better players on this list, I think, so give me a J Mitchell. Yeah, I'm taking Mitchell. You can get some buckets in this game. He's off the board. Back to you, tas Millis.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna stick with the sophomores because I think this guy gets a little bit just underrated. Kishawn George s having a great season. Fifteen and a half points, six boards, five assists, fairly efficient.
Speaker 3: It's like AJ Mitchell numbers Keishawn George. He can do it all.
Speaker 4: Okay, try I gotta do it following my draft board trying to get buckets. Trey Johnson, Welcome to Trey's team. Oh, Trey has to draft. I got no big guys yet, but I don't care. I got a lot of guys who like the score points. That's all that matters.
Speaker 1: There are only two rookies left, Coward and Joeman of the Brooklyn Nets. I was thinking with Yegor tonight's actual draft, he's going to be there for a long time because I think they're going to be terrified to try and say his name.
Speaker 2: I don't know something.
Speaker 4: Situation.
Speaker 1: But do I want a big here? Will a big make it around? Oh no, there's three bigs left. I'll be fine. I'm taking Cedric Coward.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's a good one, nice one.
Speaker 1: So one rookie remaining task.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not mine. Somebody else can have it.
Speaker 1: He would be fun in these games too, you know.
Speaker 5: What, I'm going large, Give me a work going large man, Okay, I wanted one.
Speaker 1: I was happy that there was three really big guys left.
Speaker 4: One of the very big guys.
Speaker 1: And you took. Sorry you took, thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's hard to keep track of all these guys. Yeah, Khalil, where was my sixth Man of the Year pick in the preseason?
Speaker 4: By the way, Yeah, I think he's had a disappointing season.
Speaker 3: Yes all around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people are like, oh, could he be the new Wemby? Could he be the new Anthony Davis? What if he's the new Christian Wood? Something to think about.
Speaker 1: Spolster also doesn't even admitted Yeah, like I'm sort of messing with his minutes a little too much, Like he play well and then he'd bury them.
Speaker 2: A strange but he's in this game, all right, Trey, who.
Speaker 4: You got I got two bigs on a board. Yeah, yeah, Sorr and Clinging.
Speaker 2: I'll take the other one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're getting cleaning, I'm taking sorrow, all right, Yeah, cling cong I'm just I'm just guessing a Sarr highlight is cooler than a Clinging highlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're probably right.
Speaker 3: I think that's a given.
Speaker 1: You're probably right. You're probably right. But I'm happy with Clinging to fall late here and get my big, my one big, all right, back to you tasks after a saw and Clinginger off the list here.
Speaker 5: So do you want a versatile guy in Jalen Tyson who plays hard or a guy who plays really hard defensively in Jalen Wells or agor Gemmen because it's a fun name for some to say, I'll take Tyson, give me, give me long, give me some life.
Speaker 1: So you're taking Jalen Tyson.
Speaker 4: Yep, Okay, Jalen's left the bottom three wouldn't happen in the actual All Star draft.
Speaker 1: I don't think all right, trade talk it out your final two guys left on the board here.
Speaker 4: I told you I'm going for all highlights, and I think Yegor Joemen is more highlight worthy than Jalen Wells, so give me the eager Demon.
Speaker 1: Okay, the last rookie selected. That leaves Jalen Wells for me. And if everybody was keeping track of their team, we can recap them quickly. Task you had the the number one pick, so go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Cooper Flag.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is going to be playing with his his high school teammate Derek Queen, as well as Dylan Harper, Cam Spencer, Keishaw, George, Jalen Tyson and Khalil Ware.
Speaker 4: Okay, TK hold on, I'm highlighting everything because I've got Matus, Bozelli, Stefon Castle, Reed Shepard, Jeremiah Fears, Trey Johnson, Alex Sar, and Jegor Joeman.
Speaker 1: Definitely a smaller team, but smaller highlights heavy, That's all I care about.
Speaker 4: I got a very skinny team as well. If there's anybody on my team over two hundred pounds Boozellis, Castle, Shepherd, Fears, Johnson, Sar and Joe.
Speaker 1: Well, you do have a very skinny team.
Speaker 3: Stinks you're gonna be You're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be pushed around by my teammate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean stars probably over two hundred pounds on a kind of bones, but barely he still probably wears like a twenty eight waist jeans. Yeah, he's like a twenty eight by forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna body your team, man, listen to this squad. I got Conk Nipple as my number one pick VJ Edgecombe, Colin Murray, Boyles, AJ Mitchell, Cedric Coward, Donovan Klingen, and Jalen Wells.
Speaker 2: So there it is.
Speaker 1: Let us know who drafted the best squad and really who you think will go one, two three. I think that's the exciting part with this one.
Speaker 2: Fourth team will feature G League players.
Speaker 1: As I said earlier, here's that squad for everybody joining us on YouTube. I'm not reading all the names. Happy to see Elijah Martin there chapters nine oh five.
Speaker 3: Young Hanson playing for the G League team.
Speaker 1: Yep, the Rip City Remix. I always forget that that's their G League name. It's a good name.
Speaker 2: Yeah they you know.
Speaker 1: I love how A snuck in a couple of those those rooks there because they've just been down in the G League like they did with Ree Shepherd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's time to go back to all rookies and sophomores. Oh yeah, they launched this G League playing in the Rising Stars because they were doing G League IG Nite at the time and as a way to like get eyeballs on these guys who were supposed to come and be stars, and the NBA G League I Knite has gone away. I would like I'd rather see Reesa Shay than like twenty six year old guys.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the G League wasn't a just as much of an established thing overall back then either, with every single team having a G League team. You know, they were trying to promote basketball league as a minor basketball league. Every team has one now, so it's very different. It's a different time, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I'm with you. I wish we just went back to it. We don't even need to draft like twelve sophomores than twelve for its just make it ten and ten sure, keep it simple like that. And then they play one game and like we get to see the guys more too, Like in this scenario, like these games, you're gonna see like a guy for like two minutes, Like you know, true, maybe gets in the earlier game a little bit more, but it's pretty damn quick. Sometimes depending on how fast the game goes because they're playing to a final score. But we have Hall of famers Carmelo, Anthony, Vince Carter, and Tracy McGrady. They will serve as the honorary coaches for the Rising Stars Mini tournament, and then Austin Rivers will coach the GLA team. I know what you're wondering. Did Austin Rivers play ever play in the G League?
Speaker 3: That's what we're wondering.
Speaker 2: We don't think so, we don't think so.
Speaker 1: Buddy is a broadcast around Peacock and he will have the honor of coaching the g Leigue team which did make the finals last year. They did win the first round game. But Mello, Vince and Tracy are be going to be drafting tonight. So that's at seven o'clock. I cook tonight on Peacock, Peacock, Peacock.
Speaker 4: I think that's going to be the first episode of Cousins. Vince and Tracy will have Carmelo on to talk about how they broke down their draft boards.
Speaker 1: Probably not a lab.
Speaker 4: Whatever Melo's podcast is called has got a time in.
Speaker 1: Its seven pm in Brooklyn, I think is what it is, right. I will say a small part I am excited about All Star Weekend this year is that it's like it is on NBC and Peacock like, which is a huge change because we've had decades of All Star Weekend being on Turner Sports.
Speaker 2: I think that's like a little something a little different.
Speaker 1: To look forward to. But I was like a little surprised last night how little fanfair there was in announcing the teams. I was expecting a little bit more, but it was basically what we just did. Showed you the graphic and they talked a little bit about who would go number one. But then and then, but then I realized, while they're doing the draft tonight, so that'll be like playing up a little bit more. So we'll find out who they picked tonight and how much it matches up with our squads that we did here. All right, Well, bye, well bye of the Night sponsored by Disco Godfather.
Speaker 2: It's been watching since the condo party.
Speaker 1: Room days, going way back to my old condo. He thanked us for the last twenty years. He did this a while ago when he sponsored it. So thank you Disco Godfather, Thank you Father. We have a musical theme here today a man Luca gets the woe boy. Though there was a couple in the running sheng gun like you said, barely missed and Donnovan Mitchell was a monster. But Luca poured in a game high forty six points. He shot fifteen to twenty five from the field. He had eight threes, also had twelve assists and seven rebounds in the victory.
Speaker 2: As he goes whooa, I thought.
Speaker 4: He was saying boom dry maybe yes, yes, yes, that's paper there sweating at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, pick them. I'm eight nine Task nine and eight Trey ten and seven. Final week of January. I have completely fallen apart. I think I had a great record. I think I was eighting three or eighting four at one point. I'm on a slide right now, man, I need this task. What's the game?
Speaker 5: I thought tonight's most interesting line was the Nuggets hosting the Pistons and getting six and a half points. So if you're taking the Pistons, you got them by seven or more. Nuggets can lose by six or fewer.
Speaker 3: They've got a.
Speaker 5: Ton of injuries, and that's why I think you guys are comfortable taking those Pistons going to Detroit, excuse me, going to Denver and winning this game.
Speaker 3: Is am I right?
Speaker 1: Vice, Jamal Murray is questionable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I Thinkston's recording.
Speaker 1: Is out right?
Speaker 3: Is he okay? So I think so that was the That was the one for me. But that's still a big Yeah.
Speaker 5: He is out. I just checked he's out. Christian Brown's out, yoke obviously, Cam Johnson out. Jamal Murray looks like questionable. I saw he was probable at some point. I guess he could be questionable. Peyton Watson also may not play on his family Tuness may not play. Jesus well here, I'm getting Jamal Murray probable one hour ago. So I believe you. Peyton Watson and ands Fall Tunis likely will play. Those are on the probable list according to the Nuggets. I do believe them. So you know, there we go.
Speaker 1: I do believe that.
Speaker 3: I have to I have to confirm.
Speaker 5: This is the internet, who knows, but this was the Nuggets Twitter account. I do believe the Nuggets, gay good, legitimate execut right.
Speaker 2: Well, you have Denver, so you better believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got a lot of points play with Tray and I need the Pistons win by seven or more on the road, and I really need this. I need this to tie tie up our records with tasts here again because I am in the hole. Not good. That's today's No Dunk's podcast. Thanks for joining us live on YouTube, Thanks for watching later, thanks for listening. Five star ratings and reviews. We're back tomorrow. I'll throw it out there. We might want to hit the beach. It's so cold in there. I'll try and wind it up.
Speaker 2: Should we take some questions.
Speaker 4: It's a good idea.
Speaker 1: From the fans.
Speaker 3: Well, let's do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got some bangs. We got some good ones. Because let's be a completely honesty. The Slayer games. Ain't that sexy.
Speaker 1: It's not good. I haven't even checked. I got to be honest. Sexy beach time. I mean, we obviously have Pistons and Nuggets, but a lot of guys. We got Bucks, Sixers, Kings, Nicks, Yeah, Blazers, Wizards, Pelicans, thunder Nets, Suns, Clippers, Jazz.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a rough one.
Speaker 3: Is there a good one in there? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think the Nuggets Pistons might be because how well the Nuggets are playing without their guys.
Speaker 2: But we might have the guys.
Speaker 1: We might talk about for fifteen minutes about traxy McGrady how he drafted his rising stash back down the draft really breaking winners and losers. Got a couple to check it.
Speaker 4: Going on here, skeets, you got the most votes for best rising stars for nine for tests, twenty four for me. And then I rephrase this question best weather to be sick?
Speaker 1: Cold or hot?
Speaker 4: Eighty two cold, yeah, eighteen percent hot tho sum are arguing that you get healthy quicker when it's hot.
Speaker 1: I maybe that's true. I sort of agree with that. I always get sick. I get sick in the summer. That's when I generally get sick because of the like the temperature changes. I'm convinced I'm going hot to cold, hot to cold hot, So I'm more of a summer get the to get the cold. But yeah, I'd rather now JD come here, cough on me, cough in my mouth, pick up a weird one like it. I'll do it all right, guys, thanks for joining us. We'll see you tomorrow and get your beat. Step in questions and I know we have a few, but why not try and solicit some more? Drop them in the YouTube comments or tweet it at no Dunk Stink Tell tomorrow, Clipper bros. You heard it here first.
Speaker 4: Have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us. And remember when you said that Vince Carter and Tracey mcgrady's podcast made debut. I guess their Cousins podcast. I had a good laugh because watching NBA TV's broadcast yesterday of their draft of the Rookie Sophomore Game, I heard that Cedric Coward is related to an NBA media member and they're, you know, air quotes cousins. This NBA media member is first cousins with this player's dad that he just found out when he was drafted or something. Guys don't know, you hardcorees don't know this. Vince, why would you know? Will Yeah, good guess, Christines, Christanes.
Speaker 1: That's a good guess.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: NBA TV should have given Yeah.
Speaker 3: Damn cool, cool story, bro, very cool.
Speaker 1: That is a good story. Praise the Day, people,