Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: Jay, Welcome to the Earn Your Leasure Podcasts. I want to give a quick background story of how this all got started. So first off, my name is Rashad Balau. For anybody that doesn't know me, but my partner Troy Millings. So anybody that's been following me for the last year and a half on Instagram. You know, I post content about different financial topics, but I kind of take a different approach to it. You know, I talk about you know, sports and entertainment, kind of the backstories that a lot of times people aren't familiar with them may not know, and also different you know, business models and different businesses and investments and stuff like that. So Instagram has a format where you only put up one minute video. So a lot of people was asking me, you know, when am I going to do a podcast or you know, they want an extended version of the conversation. So I thought that it would be a great idea to have this podcast. And then when I was thinking about the podcast, you know, I wanted to have a partner, and my partner, Troy, I thought would be a perfect pick because he's actually somebody that you may not be familiar with if you follow my Instagram, or you may be familiar with. But so I teach a financial literacy class to kids, and he's the one that actually got me involved with that. I actually teach his classes, his class that I teach, and also a lot of the stuff that I post on Instagram comes from conversations that me and him have and has been having for a very long time. We always have conversations about a lot of different stuff, So I wanted to, you know, share our conversations to the world and have it a on a on a scale, so it's not just me and him in his living room anymore. Yeah, it's put an internet to his So that's kind of backstory. So Troy, you want to give your perspective on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean pretty much what Rashad is saying is one hundred percent accurate. We've we've had conversations for so many years, I think over twenty years of conversations, and over the past few years, we've seen some of those conversations turn into realities.
Speaker 4: And it was like we.
Speaker 3: Thought the conversations that we were having were almost commonplace. And what we started to notice is that these conversations aren't happening, especially in.
Speaker 4: Our community and the communities throughout the country.
Speaker 3: And that was evident when we saw the content that you were putting up on your page, and it was the feedback was just so amazing, like, thank you so much for the education, and I never knew that, and we started looking at ourselves like, wait, they didn't know that. I thought people knew that, So there was definitely a need there. And Earn your Legion podcast is now live.
Speaker 2: Oh we got talk about the name to earn your leaders anybody that follows me. That's like my hashtag that I've been using for a while, earning your Lesia. And Troy actually came up with that hashtag that he thought that that was a good hash I was trying to think of something to come up with, and he thought that that was perfect as far as earning your Lesia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that that Let's give him the whole story, right, Like so like the conversation that we said, like that just happened. From that conversation, it was like you had just started that. Listen, I have an avenue now through Instagram.
Speaker 4: Let's take them even further back. Let's take it because part of.
Speaker 3: The reason I was like, that's a great idea is because people miss the hard work that goes prior to this this moment right here. So we've been in that classroom in the summers from our program and we'll talk about the program later on, but for eight years now, maybe nine years, right, we've been in that classroom and The original thought was, Hey, I know that finance is something that.
Speaker 4: Is not being taught in.
Speaker 3: School, and I knew that you are a financial advisor obviously as my best friend, we knew that that too. We should link those two things, right, Like, you teach finance, I'm an educator. Let's link it to and at first. And I think you put that into folks, and I thought that was really honest with you. It was like, it's not the easiest thing to do. I think people under depression. Like if I teach, if I teach kids and I can teach anybody, or if I've never taught kids before, I can get in the classroom.
Speaker 4: And do it. And you were very honest about that.
Speaker 3: It was like, you know, this is difficult, like this is not for me, but to your credit, man, you stuck with it, and now you can see that the education that you're giving to these kids is something that they're going to take with them for a long time. And now the world gets to see it on Instagram like some of the word we've been doing. But it's been eight years and that's how your leisure comes comes about.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. So that's where we're at right now. To Earn Your Leisure podcasts, And like I said, before we go into it, the Earn Your Leasure podcast will be giving you behind the scenes look at financial deals and the entertainment, sports business, different fields, and you know, we're going to try to make it exciting. A lot of times people have an idea of business that is boring or over the head. It's not either one. So that's kind of, you know, the reason why we wanted to start this, you know, to kind of bring it to light and make it fun and make it understandable and make it relatable. So yeah, so let's jump right into it, jump right into it. So you know, I took notes. I took notes. I'm prepared. So we're gonna start with the music industry because both of us are huge fans.
Speaker 3: I think the music raises us, I would say, right, Like, I think we used to get into debates about did we learn more from the music did we learn more from school? And I mean i'd say it's equal, right, Like some of the lessons that we learned from listening to Nas and Jay and Big to a certain extent, we still apply those lessons today. So one of the things that I heard from one of my favorite albums. Jay Z's last four or four album was you do still signing deals still? After all they done stole for real, after what they did to all Laurence Hill, And I realized, like, certain generations don't even know who Lauren Hill is, right, Like, so Miseducation of Lauryn Hill comes out in nineteen eight ninety eight. We got kids now who are nineteen who aren't even born, right, so they just know Lauryn Hill as the woman who kind of dresses funny in their opinion.
Speaker 4: But there was some major things that happened with her.
Speaker 3: And on your page, I saw that, you know, some people were wondering, like, hey, what's a What's what's up with these record deals?
Speaker 4: What's a three sixty deal? What does that even mean? So we're gonna give a fresh poch on what that is and how that looks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, so when Jay, when Jay said that, y'all still signing deals for real? So one of the things he was losing too was the three sixty deal, right right, So, like you said at a lot of people have been asking me to make a video about the three sixty deal, but I just didn't want to make a you know a one minute clip about it. I wanted to kind of go into depth about what the three sixty deal really is because obviously a lot of people have aspirations of being in the music business that they want to be producers, artists, singers, whatever. So it's important for them to have the business knowledge, not just you know, how to wrap, how to write a song, or how to shoot a video. You know, there's a lot of stuff that goes in behind the scenes that a lot of time people aren't familiar with. So three sixty deal, three sixty deal, you want you want to start this off or you want me to start it.
Speaker 4: Off, so we can. I'll start it.
Speaker 3: So three sixty deal is something that came about in the early two thousands. Record companies started to realize that they were losing revenue because of illegal downloads. Right, so people weren't buying albums because we could just get it off of I guess napster at that point in LimeWire. So record companies were like, hey, we're losing money. We have to figure out a way to earn this money.
Speaker 2: Sean Parker, we got to acknowledge for a legend, we can't, we can't. We can't just take that lately. Sean Parker changed the game. Absolutely, change the world.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Anybody not familiar with Sean Parker, he's the guy behind Napster. Twice you changed the world with Facebook also, absolutely, But Napster, they were they the first ones to start ripping music.
Speaker 4: I believe, so, man, I believe so.
Speaker 3: Like in the late nineties, late nineties, I believe Napster comes about. And when we found out about that, it was.
Speaker 2: So before Napster, everybody was buying CDs. Go to you go to Sam Goodie, you go to your local record store and you buy a CD.
Speaker 3: Let's go down a list of those stores that you're talking about that don't exist, Sam Goodies, cocon Nuts.
Speaker 2: For your entertainment, I forgot.
Speaker 3: For your entertainment, a bunch of these these these warehouses that would sell music that don't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all right, so Napster comes along. What exactly the naps to do?
Speaker 4: Again? So?
Speaker 3: Uh, Napster he figured out a way to get music illegally and stream it through the internet.
Speaker 2: So you could you could you could just get it from NAP's website.
Speaker 3: Right so well, for free, for free, So that that was the first time we started getting music from.
Speaker 2: So that that actually was the first stream right right as we know it today, right because he was taking the music and putting it on his website, and then from the website you can take it.
Speaker 3: So it was a listen a data file of just files, right, And that was the first time it was like direct to consumer. Right, So now I didn't have to go to the store to buy the cassette tape, which doesn't exist. I didn't have to go to start to get the CD. I'm getting it directly in my home. Not only am my getting directly in my home, but now I can get a multitude of artists. Right, I can make my own mix of songs, right, Like I remember showing people how to do it, and it was like, oh my gosh, like this is amazing, Like I can make my own mixtape. I don't have to waste money anymore. So like, yeah, that was the first direct to consumer music outlet.
Speaker 2: And then okay, so then once the record companies pretty much shut that down, they hit him with like what the federal government. Federal government shut down. I'm sure the record companies played a part.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: They d him on two hundred million dollars suits.
Speaker 3: It was crazy copies, all types of copyright infringement lawsuits. But after I mean, that doesn't stop it, right, like that idea, you can't, No, you can't, you can't. You can't stop energy.
Speaker 2: There it is, you can't stop energy because once it's out there, you can try to contain it. But it's like that the doors.
Speaker 4: Open at that point you can't close your eyes to So once.
Speaker 2: They shut down Napster, but the record companies did a smart thing. Okay, so from Napster we have to go to Steve Jobs.
Speaker 4: No, let's go. Well, there's a few other outlets.
Speaker 3: So once Napster starts, then other file sharing services come about. So then you get a LimeWire, right, and then a bunch of.
Speaker 4: That was still illegal, still illegal, so like he that's the idea.
Speaker 3: Then we get a bunch of other file sharing companies that come out, and now they're not just sharing music, right, so like movies. Now they're sharing movies, they're sharing TV shows, all types of forms of outlet of media. Right, they're sharing books like you can download a book. So now it's like this entire industry has to figure out, how are we going to stop this? Thing from bleeding, like this is bleeding. The music industry is bleeding. We're losing money at an all time rate. How are we gonna stop it?
Speaker 2: So okay, now we're into Steve Jobs in the picture. Okay, So Steve Jobs has the brilliant idea. Well it's actually not his idea, but he made it come to.
Speaker 4: Life, accepted the idea of the iPod, right.
Speaker 2: And then from the iPod came iTunes.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yep.
Speaker 2: So with iTunes it's like the first legal streaming service because now we're paying for it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So now he got with all the record companies, the heads of all the record companies, and said, look, streaming, and you can't stop streaming, right, but you can make money off of it. You can be part of it. Let's come together. I have the platform, you have the music, we can merge. Now we have iTunes exactly on your iPod. So now it's legal streaming as we know it today. And then that's grown to Spotify and title and everything else. So with that comes the creation of the three sixty deal. Right, because before record companies, well talk about the record.
Speaker 3: Record companies were pretty much basing their revenue off the sales of albums, right, and off the sale of singles.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But after those singles, no longer I don't have to pay for them, I get them for free.
Speaker 4: How do we generate money? Right?
Speaker 3: And they knew that their artists were still generating revenue on top of the album sales. Right, So then they go and tour, whether they make in store visits, as they sell merchandise, they're still generating revenue.
Speaker 2: So artists are very resilient people. So once the artists figured out they wasn't making money selling albums anymore, they found other revenues to make money, touring, which has been a revenue stream for years, so they make money off touring. Then they started merch selling merchandise. Then they started installing pearances, walkthroughs, all kinds of stuff, right, And so the music became just the platform they get your name out there, so you can make money off of all the other different aspects of it. So when the record companies figured that out, they say, Okay, the artists are still making money, but we're not making money anymore because album sales. Nobody's buying albums, so there's.
Speaker 3: No point in now signing a five to seven seven album year deal. There's no point of it anymore, right, we might not even get to three albums at this rate.
Speaker 4: Right. So the traditional was after.
Speaker 3: Seven years and after you've met that obligation, now you're free to sign at another label or your free design your own through your own outlet.
Speaker 4: That was the traditional way.
Speaker 3: And then they said, wait, if they're not selling albums, how are we going to make money?
Speaker 2: So and how they're going to make money, they decided to enter the three sixty deal. So the three sixty deal is when that's why it's called three sixty because they get a piece of everything, right, So, they get a piece of your streaming, they get a piece of your merch, they get a piece of your touring, they get a piece of sometimes even walkthroughs, club performances, anything, TV appearances, anything that you do that makes you money will make them money. They want it. They want a piece of everything exactly. It's like it's like, what's that Kings of New York? He said, if if is sold, so I want, I want.
Speaker 4: I want It's still I want in deal. Right. So, originally they used to give you advance.
Speaker 3: If you sign a record contract, you get an advance and that goes towards you know, the making of your album, perhaps maybe some of your videos. So they still do that in the three sixty deal, but now it's like, all right, we got to recruit that. So they might give you a bigger upfront advance, but they're still trying to recruit it through those avenues of income that you just spoke about.
Speaker 4: It is the I one end deal I want in. You're making a dollar I want in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, so now now people are taking a more independent route right, right, because they realize that with streaming, you don't necessarily need the record label. How you used to lead, how you used to need the record Because I've heard from record executives and people in the music industry that the reason the three sixty deal makes sense is that they are investing money in the artists, right.
Speaker 4: They're calling it growth development.
Speaker 2: Right, and they're they're putting an artist on a platform for them to get that merched soul, then for them to get those TV appearances, and for them to get that touring. They wouldn't have that without the push from the record label. So it's only right that the record label recoups that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, but that used it, that may have been true.
Speaker 3: But in this era of like our YouTube generation of kids, right, Like I call him the YouTube generation because like our kids don't watch TV, right, Like they started Disney Channel and by the time that's done, it's.
Speaker 4: Like, all right, well now we're watching YouTube.
Speaker 3: So people are making themselves hot, right, they don't necessarily need a record label.
Speaker 4: And I know, like Soldier Boy, right, like.
Speaker 3: People he's been all over the over the media outlets lately and it's like they laugh at him, but it's like, no, this is what this kid did is legendary, right, Like he's the first guy to introduce artists through YouTube, right back to his first video at Cranked.
Speaker 2: That right, Soldier Boy is interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's legendary. Right.
Speaker 2: You can't you can't dismiss him, No, and we shouldn't. You can't dismiss him because, like you said, he actually pied near this whole YouTube sensation. Yeah, get yourself high with a dance.
Speaker 4: He's the he's the first viral artist of Yes, he's the first viral artist that.
Speaker 3: We've seen people with who've had movements, right, Like we've seen the fifty cent and the g and the we grew up in that dipset movement.
Speaker 4: Those were movements, but this.
Speaker 3: Kid is the first viral artist where it's like this is on the internet and now it's taken off right. So like at the time, when crank That comes out, right, he produced himself, produced himself, made with two like, he didn't use any live instruments, right, he bought I think it's fruity loops, I believe free loops software.
Speaker 4: And created crank That. Right.
Speaker 3: This thing goes on to self to three million streams in two thousand and seven. Right at the time, that's an all time record. This kid generates seven million dollars at sixteen, right, so he becomes the first viral artist. Hey, I don't really need that label. Label has to come to me. So he signed with Kylie Park, who was an Atlanta executive at the time. But in the video, the first scene is kids and this is like kind of indicative of where we are now. He has two kids doing the dance and he's sitting behind his desk like what are y'all doing? And they're like that's that grant dad, And.
Speaker 2: He's like who is that?
Speaker 4: And they're like, Daddy a soldier. Boys.
Speaker 3: Like now the kids because they're on the Internet and now on TV are telling the adults like what's hot. I was like wow when I saw that the other day, I'm like wow, that's like for like foreshadowing what's happening. These kids are telling us what's hot because they sold on YouTube.
Speaker 4: So like he's the first viral us. Yes, we might not light the way.
Speaker 3: He conveys his message, but he speaks a lot of truth in what he's saying.
Speaker 4: Right this, we can't deny this kid, right, Like he's I mean he's.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight now, but this kid made himself a millionaire at that age, right, So he's our first viral YouTube artist.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So then from Soldier Boys, all right, So going back to three sixty Deale, So Chris brown he just recently made headlines. Yeah, he was the youngest artist to so his new record deal. He has complete control of his master's correct. So he's the youngest artist to have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, Chris Browns is twenty nine, right, which is we've known this guy since we were since he was sixteen. I got another guy at sixteen, and that's a catalog of music. But now I think he's fulfilled his last label deal and now controls his masters, right, so that twenty nine, anything that he puts out from this point on, he owns one hundred percent of And I think some people get confused and like, what's a master's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's publishing for an artist, and then is the masters right? What's what's the difference between publishing and masters?
Speaker 4: So your masters is the first recording of.
Speaker 3: A sound, right or a song right that people will use now to duplicate. Right, So if he makes a song in twenty nineteen, he owns one hundred percent of that, and he owns the masses that if somebody duplicates that or uses a sound from that, right, they have to pay him for that. So he's going to own his masters so like the song's prior to it, and we still have to get details on the full contract. I don't know if held it back dates, if he gets to control of some of his old content, but like some of the songs that we grew up with him doing and are timeless, I'm not sure if he has control of that his old record label made.
Speaker 4: But I would anticipate that this is going to be a huge dfhim.
Speaker 3: Right as soon as he signs that deal, he drops a video, right, forget Like I don't need a press tour, Like I'm putting out content right now. So the song, it's the what's the Shenee record?
Speaker 4: What's the song? Right?
Speaker 3: So that song comes out like as soon as he signs his deal, like and he sales that generated from that single, and the streams on that or the YouTube hits from that, that advertising dolls send in Like he's in control of that now, which is at twenty nine, Like, we have guys that we listen to at forty eight that don't even control their music.
Speaker 2: So in the publishing the writers.
Speaker 3: Right, So the writers, the love of musicians who contribute to that, to the performance of that song or the making of that song, like so those are two separate.
Speaker 4: Things, right, So like the copying of it, and then.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 4: The actual people who compose it.
Speaker 3: I said that one of the guys I actually was watching Big John Platt, And I don't think anybody people are even familiar with Big John Platt. But if you're not, you should, you know, do some research on who he is. Like this guy is the publisher of the publishers, like he.
Speaker 4: He he's a legend in music.
Speaker 3: And if if you haven't seen him do some research, and I think the rap Radar podcast that they did.
Speaker 4: With him was a phenomenal interview, and.
Speaker 3: He set a tremendous amount of light on what he does because, like you said, a lot of people want to get into entertainment and want to be rappers and singers, but there's other ways to generate revenue for music, and he's found a way. And he makes sure that any artist that he comes in contact with that they control their publishing because it's important.
Speaker 4: It's important.
Speaker 2: Okay. So also in news, a Boogie a bogy, So a Boogie made history.
Speaker 4: Shout out to the Bronx for being.
Speaker 2: Well, he had the lowest sales.
Speaker 4: Well let's not start there.
Speaker 3: Let's start right see like and this is true too, so like the media will say, like he has the lowest sales, but let's start with the positive like this, Yeah.
Speaker 2: IM gonna get to this kid has the number one the number one album. He made history for having it, for having the number one album with the lowest selling physical physical units ever. Right, so he sold eight hundred and thirty five physical copies physical copies, but he streamed eighty million streams. Right, which is the equivalent of sixty thousand albums.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: That's interesting on two different levels, right, because you sold eight hundred.
Speaker 4: Copies eight hundred twenty three or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight hundred and twenty three copies, but you stream eighty million, right right.
Speaker 4: It tells you a couple of things. Right. It goes back to what we said earlier, where there.
Speaker 3: Are no physical outlets to consume physical copies.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the first thing, right, So no stores, there's no stores, right, so there are no like the stores that we said earlier, but even like stores like best Buy, these huge company. Right recently they said that we are doing a way with the CD section in our stores. It's pointless. People don't buy them, right, I've been in your car. You don't even have a CD player in your car, right, Like, it doesn't People don't consume music that way.
Speaker 2: So, so who's in control of the music industry right now? Is it? Because I've heard this before that the cell phone companies are really in position to be the record labels. If you think about it, nothing moves without a cell phone, right, right, So what would stop Sprint, Verizon or Apple directly to just cut the record label out completely and make deals with artists.
Speaker 4: I think that's where we're headed.
Speaker 2: That's what we're headed. I think that's where we're at right now, because the artists are still record labels are still there. But what what what good is a record label at this point where a lot of time people don't even listen to radio anymore.
Speaker 4: Right, So, like that's important too, Like so Steve Stout.
Speaker 3: And again if you don't know if Steve Stout is and you're in entertainment, definitely somebody you should research. His book The Tanning of America is amazing, so must read. But his company, the United Masters, is combating. Then they're saying, look, you don't need the record label, We're giving you your Masters. And what he has is, I mean he's established relationships throughout his career. I think he started with Public Enemy in the eighties, right, he was.
Speaker 4: Like a tour manager, or.
Speaker 3: He might have been like an assistant to the tour manager for Public Aademy in the eighties. But throughout his career he's established relationship with artists, and he's established relationships with corporate America. And his claim to fame, like his thing that he holds that on is like he combines those twos, so like you have entertainment and you have corporate America. Right, So that's where we get the jay Z to Rebok deal, or we get the NAS to the Sprite Like that's one of our favorite commercials, right, the legendary SPIKEE commercial.
Speaker 4: So you start seeing those cross brands, or it could have.
Speaker 3: Been Lebron to McDonald's, like he made that out of hand and on that or like right now, like the beats with Dre, like he's established so many relationships from a brand standpoint that when he gets an artist now it's like, look, we'll connect you directly with them.
Speaker 4: You don't need that three sixty deal.
Speaker 3: Come to the United Masters and we'll connect you with the brand. And now, if you want to get your your music in an NBA commercial, we got connections. If you want to get your your music played in a beat by Dre, we can do that, right. So, like what he's offering I think changes the game.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So he's given like similar to what your page is right like his like listen, follow this. This can help us be free, like own your own masters, right, Like that that was one of my favorite lines, right, I own my own masses from Jay Like that's a real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's gonna be into it. That's my prediction that.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eight teen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 4: Earners. What's Up?
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, Like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless.
Speaker 4: Whether it's a local coffee.
Speaker 3: Shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash po d katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: Whoever can make that happen right Whoever, instead of making like you know how a boogey and them they made a deal with Atlantic.
Speaker 4: Be smart too, Like if you listen to this, No, no, they are very smart.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, whoever, whoever's can't can make a deal directly with Sprint, directly with Apple, directly with Android. That's going to be a game change it because if you think about it, the whole platform is on your cell phone right as far as the streaming is on, all the apps are on your cell phone. If you want to watch a video, YouTube is on your cell phone. Even if you want to buy merch you can buy that directly on your cell phone. So if you could do a deal directly with the cell phone company, right, yeah, and cut the record label out completely.
Speaker 4: Right, Well that's what jay Z did, right.
Speaker 2: Well, he did do that. Yeah, he did do that. He did do that, but that was a one time. That was a one off.
Speaker 3: But but that's what I'm saying that that might that plans to see that, like we can do this. Like so like when he says, I'm putting out I think it was Magna carta.
Speaker 2: Magna carta, explain people, I don't know, so magnimum.
Speaker 3: So magna carter he uh, he starts putting these commercials out during the NBA Finals, right and he uh Sprint says, listen, we're giving the first million subscribers to Sprint the album for free.
Speaker 4: Right, So he's putting that right to the phone company.
Speaker 3: If you have Sprint, like most people do, a lot of people do, they get the album for free. When it comes to sound Scan, that's a million albums sold, right, and so SoundScan tried but.
Speaker 2: They said they said so, they say they said that he cheated. Yeah, you cheat it because like you said, it was the first million people that signed up for that promo deal got the album for free on their phone, right, But it's not cheating because whether they wanted it or not, they still got it.
Speaker 4: Did the consumer get that exactly?
Speaker 2: But that's the power of going direcord to the cell phone company, right, he did. I forgot he did that. He did do that, and that was powerful because he came out the gate and sold a million records before day one, he sold a million records. Right, So now I was telling any records.
Speaker 3: And that's what I'm saying this when we post I posed a question earlier. Are we learning more from the music? Are we learning more from where we're going to school? It's like, now we learned from both, right, because like that's twenty thirteen, right, But five years from now, what if that does happen, right, like, people probably will forget. It's like I compare it to when Prince Right, we had this conversation with Prince decided that hey, I'm going to take control of my own masters, Like I'm going to sell tickets with merchandise with my album. So if you buy my album, you get a ticket to the show and merchandise.
Speaker 4: Right, And it was like.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, like this guy, this is who does he think he is right present day, Travis Scott. This is the same thing, right, And then it's like, wait, no, that doesn't count. How does that count? He's selling t shirts, he's not selling albums, right, Like you know this that shouldn't count. Nikki was right, she was mad, right, but like no, he's just he's doing what's been done and it's worked. It's worked because did number one thing is did the consumer get the product?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They got the product and it got some merch too, which they wear at his concerts that will sell out, right, So like so that comparable of like hey, Prince did that, Travis is doing it today, like Jay did that. Let's see who comes up with the division to say, all right, I'm gonna go that route now too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that'd be interesting. That's where that's where I personally see his headed. I may be wrong, but because like I said, I mean, your cell phone is the most powerful thing in the world, right, Yeah, And everything that you need pretty much in life, you can access via your cell phone. So being that they had that much power, I think that it's time for the artists smart enough, Yeah, smart enough?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Just really quick back to the eight boogie thing like and it's just that I know the headline was like eight boogie Tales, eight hundred and twenty three albums, but they.
Speaker 4: Were like, oh, that's the lowest.
Speaker 3: But part of the story too, is like two weeks ago twenty one Savage was the lowest with three thousand copies, right, so like he's had the number one album, he only.
Speaker 2: Sold three thousand, So eventually headed to a point like it'll be two, right or not?
Speaker 3: No, there was no physical copies, Like, because you tell me where to go buy at.
Speaker 4: A physical copy?
Speaker 2: Can you buy that Walmart?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe they took.
Speaker 2: Well, like he said, he didn't even put out physical.
Speaker 4: Exactly, So I'm like, where did they even get eight hundred folk?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, all right, all right, all right, So we talked about music for a little bit. So let's let's switch topics. Now, let's go into entertainment. Yeah, let's go into entertainment because it's almost Oscar season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Golden Global season.
Speaker 2: Ye, So I want to talk about the Oscars. Yeah, So obviously what's been going on with the Oscars most people have been talking about with the Kevin Hart thing, right as far as they asked him to do it, then they found some tweets from a couple of years ago. Then they kind of took pulled the offer bag.
Speaker 4: He's on I'm sorry toy right now.
Speaker 2: But then then he apologized and they asked him to come back, and then he didn't want to come back.
Speaker 4: So it was like a whole campaign.
Speaker 2: But every year, it seemed like every single year there's always some controversy with the Oscars the Grammys. Like last year it was the last year with Will Smith, with Jada, they boycotted.
Speaker 4: The Grammys the Oscars, maybe because he.
Speaker 2: Didn't get nominated. She wanted him to get nominated and he didn't get nominated, and it was like a boycott.
Speaker 4: I see it, well, I see it more happening in the music right.
Speaker 2: Well. The thing about it was it was that movie when he was the doctor for the Football Player. Yeah, yeah, and she had a whole thing and she was boycotting because she was like, you know, we're not getting represented, we're not getting enough Oscar right, and every single thing. It's always a big deal.
Speaker 3: So then they try to take steps, Oh well, instead of five people being nominated, we'll make it to eight people.
Speaker 4: We'll make it to eight films being no exactly.
Speaker 2: So going back to the rap line. Twenty years ago, Jay Z had a legendary song called money Ain't a Thing, Yeah, And in that song he has the line where he says, save all the accolades, just to do right. So that's an interesting lyric to me because it feels like, especially our culture, we need validation more than money. It's like, it's it's interesting, right we have.
Speaker 4: We want to fit like we've made it.
Speaker 2: We always wanted like that validation of I need an Oscar, I need a Grammy, I need a Golden glove globe. But it's like, why do you need that? So we did the research actually on the time ten highest paid actors in twenty and seventeen from on Forbes list. And the interesting thing about it is that out of the top ten actors, only one of them has an Oscar.
Speaker 4: Right, so.
Speaker 2: Chris Evans was number ten. He made thirty four million.
Speaker 3: That is for people who don't know who Chris Evans is, that's Captain America from.
Speaker 2: The Avengers thirty four million no Oscar. Salmon Khan is a Bollywood actor from India. He made thirty eight million no Oscar Adam Sandler. People don't understand how much money Adam Sandler made. Like it's crazy. Adam Sandler made thirty nine million dollars. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure I would have assumed that. I know he did a next.
Speaker 2: Fleix, Netflix he made, he made off a Netflix.
Speaker 4: Two movies on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Can you name him?
Speaker 4: No? I can't.
Speaker 3: You know what I had this conversation. I can't name the last good Adam Sailing film.
Speaker 2: I can't remain I can't name a good Adam Sandler film.
Speaker 4: I think Happy Gilmore was all right?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Big was it? Big brother was a big brother when he had to look at that was the right homing on fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Now, fifteen twenty. He made forty million dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, quietly, ash.
Speaker 2: Ashay Kumar, I've never heard of him. You've heard of him before, never heard of him. He made forty million, he's number seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Will Smith made forty two million dollars right at number at number six.
Speaker 4: No Oscar, no Oscar, A few nominations. Do you know what movie he put He put out a bright.
Speaker 2: Last year on Netflix on Netflix. Yeah. Netflix. That's a whole different conversation. That game changer, definitely game changer.
Speaker 3: Definitely, and especially the success they just had at the end of the year were Birdbox that changed for the.
Speaker 2: Box game changer. Yeah, Jackie Jackie Chan is number. Jackie Chan made forty five million dollars last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, you know what. So like Jackie Chan, somebody's gonna be like, he got an Oscar. So, yeah, they gave him an Oscar honorary. It's not a real he has two hundred films. They're like, you know what, Jackie twenty sixteen, this is yeah, yeah, man, we're gonna give you one.
Speaker 4: So he has an honorary Oscar.
Speaker 2: Jackie Chan forty million, made forty five million dollars. Can you name a.
Speaker 4: Movie he was in out you mean outside of Russia?
Speaker 2: No, last twenty seventeen. Nah? Nah Kong Fu Yoga?
Speaker 4: Oh oh no, I thought not Kong Flu Banda.
Speaker 2: No, Kong Fu Yoga, The Foreigner and all the other money came from endorsement deals.
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense. Forty five man.
Speaker 2: Go figure. Yeah, Chris Haynesworth made sixty four million, So.
Speaker 3: Chris Haynesworth is thoring the Avengers. I'm gonna We're starting to see a pattern.
Speaker 2: Robert Downey made eighty one million.
Speaker 4: And he is iron Man any Avengers, So at this point, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think people fully understand how much money Robert Downey Jr. Has made his career.
Speaker 3: I mean, he demanded fifty million for the film for the last one, So any sequels is just like I would imagine it would be different.
Speaker 4: You can't do the movie without iron.
Speaker 2: Man, Hollywood. It's different type of money.
Speaker 4: The Avengers, the Marble is different type of money right now.
Speaker 2: Different. Number two is the Rock Dwayne Johnson. Yeah, he made one hundred and twenty four million last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A lot of films, a lot of films.
Speaker 4: They all look like that's the one that doesn't look like the same.
Speaker 3: Every film that he seems like he's in he's jumping out of a building or he's like swimming with an.
Speaker 2: Allegy went Oscar for Jumanji.
Speaker 3: Think no, he will win our Kids Herds Kids' Choice Awards, Nickelodeon.
Speaker 4: You'll get that.
Speaker 2: The number one on the list.
Speaker 4: They're not going to get this one.
Speaker 2: George Clooney, who made two hundred and thirty nine million dollars. Now that's interesting because he does he's the only one with an Oscar. Yeah, but he it didn't make any money off of films.
Speaker 3: Right, So the Oscar was in two thousand and five, I believe, for Sirianna, and then in twenty thirteen for Argo, right.
Speaker 2: Right, So he made two hundred and thirty nine million from selling a tequila company. Yea, yeah, yeah, they sold the company for seven hundred million. He made two hundred and thirty nine million.
Speaker 3: Off of the company's name is let me get you George Colin's Company's name?
Speaker 4: It is? It is? It is Cosa.
Speaker 2: Migossos now, so so this is interesting. So all right, out of the top ten actors, a none of them are female. That's a different conversation altogether. But one of them has has an Oscar one right, So of the top ten Oscar winning actors of twenty seventeen did not have an Oscar. And I've never heard Jackie Chan complain about not getting oscar. Maybe he has, I just never heard it.
Speaker 3: The top twenty list. If we extended the list, it would only make it too. I think Matt Damon will be like number sixteen, and he has one for Goodwill hunting.
Speaker 2: So do we want validation or do we want money? Or do we want people to come see our films. We gotta start asking these questions because it's like, ultimately, I don't understand why, like you people, they've treated you bad for how long? And you keep holding out hope it hurt our hearts that this is going to be the year like this, this is gonna be the year where I get treated better.
Speaker 3: We watched jay Z Go for eight at the Grammy and we're like, ah again.
Speaker 2: No, It's like I feel like why why, Like you know, I mean, like why do we care so much about the validation And it's not like that validation actually really even means anything financially, because there's a whole list of people who have won an Oscar and their career went in the total opposite direction.
Speaker 3: So like the average person, average male, who wins an Oscar, their average next movie or the next year of income increases by four million, which is a lot.
Speaker 4: But the movies don't do well like they could get paid to do the movie.
Speaker 2: Or even your career, like your career. So these are a couple of people that suffered the Oscar curves.
Speaker 4: Holle Berry and we love halle Berry. Let's yeah, no disrespect that he love everybody.
Speaker 2: But she wanted for Oscar for monsters. What has she done since?
Speaker 4: So? So she got paid right to do.
Speaker 3: I think she got maybe a million dollars right, So her next film next that next year she put out Catwoman. Now I'm not sure if people remember that right as a legendary movie. But you know what, she's still putting our movie. She was a part of the original Sony X Men. She was storing remember that, Yeah, and then Marvel took over that and they said, all right, this is x Men now, so she was Storm and x Men and then I think even yesterday she put out a clip she's gonna be in john Wick three.
Speaker 4: So she's still working.
Speaker 3: But we're not you know, like you would think like when somebody performs at a high level and gets a Grammy, like the next thing is that Oscar ask I'm sorry they continue that high level of performance and we haven't seen that.
Speaker 4: We haven't love Cally, Barry Cuba, Jr. Oh Man, he's.
Speaker 2: I think his most notable role. So he won the Oscar for Jerry mcguid. That was twenty five years ago, like at least twenty years I was like twenty years ago years, Yeah, the only thing I remember for him since.
Speaker 4: In the past. He was great in that.
Speaker 2: I didn't even see it, but I just know he.
Speaker 4: Was great in that.
Speaker 3: He might have got nominated for that on Lifetime. No, no, man, that was Fax. It was good on that. I thought you were going to say he's known for being in the club with of the bucket on this head.
Speaker 4: Oh no, we can't forget that.
Speaker 2: His career has not skyrocketed since it has been.
Speaker 4: It hasn't.
Speaker 2: It hasn't good, Marissa Tomay, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta explain that. So Marissa Tomay, people don't even know who that is.
Speaker 2: Who she is?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So, like any she originally starts on the Cosby Show. Yeah, she was on the Cosby Show.
Speaker 2: Was she on the Cosby Show?
Speaker 4: She was a gold looking She's on the Cosby Shows.
Speaker 3: That's where she gets her start and then wins an Oscar for my cousin Vinnie with Joe Pesci. It's like ninety two years ago. Yeah, ninety two and we haven't I don't know what have you seen her?
Speaker 4: We saw her.
Speaker 3: She's in She's Spider Man's mom in The New Spider Man's Adrian Brody. Yeah, who is he? He won for the pianist, I believe what has he done? Since you know what he did right after that? I think King Kong and that was a flyph done since I don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: So, So this just proved my point that we just named ten actors that made a boatload of money that will probably never get an Oscar. We just named four that one in Oscar that it did nothing for their career. It actually might even hurt their career. So why we got to start asking questions like why do we still hold these awards as such high regard. Of course, everybody wants to be acknowledged for their talent, for their contribution as human it is human nature to be to want to have some validation. But what is that worth?
Speaker 3: I think that the I mean, if we break down the Oscar itself, I mean it's a trophy that costs four hundred dollars, I think the most valuable thing that it does provide is notoriety for the most part. Like we can't put a price tag on notoriety, right, So like there are actors that like, wait, who is this person?
Speaker 4: Or who it brings a tench But.
Speaker 2: There's actors that won in Oscar that you never. You will never know the rock walks into this room right now. Everybody knows, Righty's true, you'll never They'll probably never win an oscar.
Speaker 4: This is true.
Speaker 2: Kevin Hart has never won an oscar. True, everybody knows who he is.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But to the person who doesn't, like you know what I mean, like some of these films we've never seen, right, Like, every time there's the nominations come out, there's at least like out of the five or eight.
Speaker 4: It's like six, and I'm like, when did that even come out? I never saw that? Right? Like?
Speaker 2: So, so the question is, so it accolades just to do, just to do? Right? Is it that? Do we want?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 2: Is it that? Or is it validation at all courts?
Speaker 4: I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: I mean if you look at a movie like Black Panther, right, like the number three selling.
Speaker 2: Movie exactly, that's a perfect example. So that's gonna be up this.
Speaker 3: Year, right, it shipped, Well, the nominations will be coming out swing for.
Speaker 4: Golden Globes, let's say eight.
Speaker 2: Hypothetically it doesn't win, right, there's gonna be a lot of backlash then who cares? It was obviously a great movie. It got supported it was the number one movie of the year. So that's that's validation, right, right, Like that's the validation that you should look for.
Speaker 4: Do we need? Like that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It used to me something when you went into the store and it said, like I still remember buying Casino and it was like Academy Award nominee Joe Pesci And I'm like that meant something. But there's no physical copies to buy these things. People stream even the movies. Now there's no store to buy amen, Like that looks good on a title like Academy Award winner. I'm like, all right, well let me check this out, I guess, but like that's not gonna take anything from Black Panther. Like if it doesn't say Academy Award Best Picture or Best Supporting Actor Michael B. Jordan, Like that doesn't change the movie. Like my kids are still gonna want to watch it. It doesn't change it. Right, It's still Black Panther with or without an.
Speaker 4: Oscar, Right, So what's the value of it?
Speaker 2: What is the value of here?
Speaker 3: And you said something important too, man, Like none of those of the top ten with women, Like that's a whole nother conversation, right, that wage gap, Right, the average increase I said for a man was four million, The average increase for a woman's five hundred thousand, five hundred thousand. Like remember that we had this big debate with it was Nique, No Mark Wahlberg. He received like an enormous amount of money for being on set for a day.
Speaker 4: And I believe it was Hillary. It might have been Hillary Spaan got the was.
Speaker 3: There for the same day and received like one hundred thousand dollars or I mean like a tenth of what he got. And it was like wait until people started saying, hey, this is crazy, like what is this.
Speaker 4: He decided to say, Hey, I'm gonna give this money back.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna give it to like helping the cause to fight for wage equality in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: But that's an important thing man.
Speaker 2: And also the diversity on that list. So you had the Rock, you have Will Smith, we're black, you have Jackie Chan was Asian. You actually have two Indian actors, right, So maybe it is diverse if you think about it.
Speaker 4: For males. Yeah, yeah, for males. I mean from that list from the standpoint.
Speaker 2: Just a dot, that's half of the list of just.
Speaker 3: A dope, right when it comes to the nominations, Right, didn't they have Oscar so White?
Speaker 2: Was that years ago?
Speaker 4: Two years ago?
Speaker 2: Okay? All right, So that's the question that we have to we have to keep asking.
Speaker 4: There's a small tippic that we owned, was over us not overlooked? Right?
Speaker 3: So like George Clooney two hundred what was it, two hundred nine sells a liquor company.
Speaker 4: We've seen this in our culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Like we've seen this blueprint like they that might be a blueprint that was like, hey, I've seen these guys do it. Like we've seen Puff get with to Rok and what that's done. We've seen Jay get with Armadale and get with to uh as of Spade and now do say and what that's done? Even the fifty cent vitamin water deal, Like get with these beverages companies and hopefully it blows up and like this guy does it, and it's like nobody even knows. Like if you, if somebody was the guest, I doubt George Coyen would come to their mind like this dude just made two hundred and forty million dollars. I'm selling a beverage that I doubt anyone's ever tasted. I don't know anyone that's ever tastes I just say that, you know what anywan No, Yeah, I'm not a tequila drinker, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: But how many deals are done like that that we don't know about.
Speaker 4: That's why we're here exactly. That's why we're here to shed the light on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So accolades on money in that vein you filling the super Bowl Travis Scott performance, you're feeling.
Speaker 3: That, So I'm gonna go back, let's let's use I'm gonna use the alert, right, like, have the super Bowl?
Speaker 4: You need me, I don't need you.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's my stance with him, Like he doesn't need it, he didn't need it.
Speaker 4: He's gonna do it, obviously, I think he decided to. So you don't get paid for Yeah, there's no like you paid for that, right, right.
Speaker 2: So the thing about it is that you're doing it because it's a look notoriety. But once again, it goes back to the validation argument, where does the super Bowl really help your career? Because Justin Timberlake came up with an album the day after the super Bowl performance, and it did terrible.
Speaker 4: The albums are terrible, but the tour.
Speaker 2: Because he's still justin Timber, still justin Timber. They so, but the album did terrible, right, I did not listen to that. Janet Jackson, have we seen her since.
Speaker 4: She just put out an album? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I think I think she put that album. I know she put out a single with Daddy Yankee.
Speaker 2: They had Bruno Mars do it twice.
Speaker 4: Twice back to back.
Speaker 3: But the ironic thing is Beyonce did it too, right, So like the year after or two years after, and I was like, you need me, I don't need you. Like granted, Beyonce did not pay for that, right, she had to deal with Pepsi that they sponsored her tour and they sponsored her performances. So Pepsi they front the bill on the stage performance.
Speaker 2: But that's a powerful line that jay Z says, you need me, I don't need you, because it's really speaking in broader terms to say the artist has control over the situation right now with YouTube, with social media. So but for some reason they still think that they need the validation. They still need a Grammy, they still need an Oscar, they still need the Super Bowl perform He's the main performer exactly. We just went over like three different examples of how the oscars. You don't need an oscar to make money. You don't need a Grammy.
Speaker 4: To sell records.
Speaker 2: You don't need to be on the radio to sell records, to perform to sell merch. You don't need to be at the Super Bowl. Travis Scott's already Travis Scott.
Speaker 4: With or without the super amazing.
Speaker 2: He's still one of the hottest artists in the world without, So I'm not really here to judge him on that, But if that's why he's doing it, I think that that's a poor decision because I don't feel that he needs to do that, right if he.
Speaker 4: Wants to nominated, not is he nominated for a Grammy as well?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I just for the record, just going to say that we think Victory Lap is the album of the year. If it doesn't win, it's still our album of the year, right, Like, it doesn't matter, right like right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Did you see what they did today the NFL did to that was singing the national anthem?
Speaker 3: They got Gladys Knight singing the national anthem.
Speaker 2: There you go, there you have there, You have it, man, So all right, anything else you want to talk about, touch on.
Speaker 4: My final word. Let's do a fin I got a final word.
Speaker 3: So I got a message this morning and a dear friend of my alma text me, congratulations it was written. And I was like wow, because we always have these j and now's debates and I was like, it was written. She didn't know that this is going to be my final word. But we say this all the time. Why shoot the breeze about it when you could be about it? So I'm glad that we're here because how many years have we been shooting the breeze and now we're finally being about it right because we've we've helped each other, and we've helped a lot of people around us.
Speaker 4: But now we can help on a larger scale, which I think is amazing.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: So shout out to you for bringing me in on this. Man, This is this is amazing.
Speaker 3: And for everybody who's ever had a conversation with us, right like in the parking lots, barbershops, wherever we are, we always seem to spark a conversation on debate, sometimes intents, sometimes you know, just shooting the breeze. So that was my final word. Man, wayt shoot the breeze about it when you can be about it.
Speaker 2: That's dope. Why shot the breezebut when you could be about legendary it was written? Yes it is.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Once again, I just want to say thank you for all the support that we have gotten so far, and I know that we will continue to get and especially you know, on on social media platforms. So stay tuned. This is just the first chapter. We have many more install.
Speaker 3: Next one episode one. Man, what they say twenty nineteen is almost over. Fact, put your phone down and do so.
Speaker 2: That's a fact. All right, we check y'all.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need