Speaker 1: Really now really.
Speaker 2: Really no really, Hello, and welcome to really know Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden. In today's episode, you'll meet an influencer who's millions of followers tune in to watch him scam the scammers, and you'll learn about the never before revealed technology he developed.
Speaker 3: Plus you'll meet.
Speaker 2: His wife, who it turns out is actually Jason Alexander.
Speaker 3: Really now really.
Speaker 2: We'll also discuss why vengeance feels so good and why movie studios think that vigilantes should be members of the AARP. Now Here are your hosts, who also more than qualify for the AARP. Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden No really, Well.
Speaker 3: Whether you want it or not, we're back, folks.
Speaker 4: This is really no really. I am Jason Alexander and sitting to.
Speaker 1: My immediate Peter told me, Peter, and happy to be here and with us today is a guest who the really really is Really there are scammers who are scamming the scammers. We did not know this, but then again, in the technological.
Speaker 3: World, we don't know anything. We don't know, we don't know much, we know nothing.
Speaker 4: You do know that scamming is a plague. I am privy to it all the time. I get calls about how a car I don't own the warranty is running out call. I get things on my phone that says, if your account is being deleted, if you don't tap this right now, I know well enough to not get involved.
Speaker 3: But it is relentless.
Speaker 4: It happens all the time, and people have it far worse than I do.
Speaker 3: Where they get, you know.
Speaker 1: And there's billions, it's a billion maybe even a trillion dollar industry. We're going to talk about that. We're going to talk about the people who do stand up. What kind of personality stands up to injustice? Is that you were me?
Speaker 3: And this kind of injustice? I wouldn't know where to begin, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's say hi to our guest. Our guest is Kid berga who's a super star right wearing sun.
Speaker 4: Although I'm imagining Kid Booge's probably something like kid is going to be short for something like Christopher.
Speaker 3: Sometimes a kit oga might be a thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, all right, no, no, how did you come up with introduce the man first? You interrupted?
Speaker 3: Nobody knows that they have no reference.
Speaker 1: Here's Aaron Schlossberg. He's got how many followers do you have now on your you're on your channel.
Speaker 5: You know I don't keep track. I would, I know, keep tracking relatively.
Speaker 1: Way above that million.
Speaker 3: Four million?
Speaker 1: All right, you'll let him know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I have four million, I won't keep tracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't keep I guess anything over three million, you go, okay, tell them that you're on and he's done. He's got videos on YouTube. You can't. You can't believe of him. The intent is to waste scammers time, have them give up. He also has closed down bank accounts. And I know you're you're working on some new stuff, new technology that's AI driven, and you've got a team working with you. Whatever. So welcome to the show. Thank you for being on.
Speaker 4: And by the way, let me tell you starting right off, for those watching on YouTube, the sunglasses perfect disguise I have. If this guy was my best friend, if he's my brother, I wouldn't know who that was. I wouldn't know who he was. It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Like Clark's, anonymity is the key to what he does.
Speaker 1: If I did what you do, everybody from high school will go that's Peter Tilden, right.
Speaker 5: I know this guy do you're not gett A couple of years back, I went to so I stream this live sometimes I'm on Twitch, and I went to a big convention for Twitch streamers, and if I had my glasses on, people knew who I was. So if I wanted to get across the convention hall, I would just take my glasses off. And no one had any idea.
Speaker 3: Podcast Clock and Superman.
Speaker 1: We're finding out the tech world. Yeah, Genie, not well where I'm a little weak exactly. So let's let's start. I know story, but why don't you tell it how you got started because your grandmother was scammed? Correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so both grandparents had dementia and Alzheimer's as they got older, and you know, I'm not sure if they got scammed by a tech support scammer per se, but they had all sorts of telephone scams and everything you could think of at the time. I remember one time we went to visit her and she had these rose bushes, this beautiful garden that she took care of, and there was a gardener, like in her front yard in real life, taking her rose bushes out and putting them in the back of his trailer. And I remember thinking that's strange. And I asked her about it and she said, oh, he said they're diseased or something, and like, I got to get rid of them. But it was just this dude taking her rose bushes. Probably I don't know if he's going to try to re sell them or use them somewhere else. She had multiple cable packages, multiple phone lines, multiple Internet plans, which those are just scummy sales guys selling her things she doesn't need. But there's this realization that, man, if my grandma was still around, the first time I ever heard one of these tech supports scammers, I knew that she would have fallen for it, and she would have had no clue what was going on, and she would have said, this is actually Microsoft. That was kind of the big catalyst.
Speaker 1: So you jumped in and you created this persona. And if you look at the videos, it looks because you're almost like an improv actor. You enjoy keeping these people on. And what's the longest you've kept somebody on so far?
Speaker 5: Well, all in one shot maybe like six hours, but over the course of multiple calls, something like fifty two hours of phone calls.
Speaker 3: Well, the one that I that I watched was.
Speaker 4: This guy, this guy with a clearly East Indian accent, was presenting himself as Joe Biden. And yes, and that guy bitcoin scam I guess is what that was all about. But that was and it was clear that what I was watching was happening over weeks.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Well, well eventually we figured out that it wasn't Biden. Yes, and that's not the first time that I've had a scammer pretend to be the president, or we've had them do all kinds of crazy situations. So to back up a little, I didn't when I first started doing this. I it was like an adventure. I had no idea what I was doing. I picked up a phone call or picked up my phone, and I tried to find a tech support scammer because I had I had heard about it. I saw some recording of a it's called Hey, it's Lenny. It's this recording of an older gentleman that they would play for telemarketers, and it was a recording of him talking to a tech support scammer. And then it took me maybe five minutes to find a phone number to call, and I picked it up and I called, and this guy tells me, yes, I'm from Microsoft. You have viruses on your computer. Let me connect and fix it. And I hung up because I didn't know what else to do.
Speaker 1: Right, what else?
Speaker 5: But I remember just running up stairs and saying to my wife, oh my gosh, there are these scammers. They're everywhere. I gotta do something about it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: But in the beginning, it was just me doing my voice. I didn't really know what I was doing. I had a fake computer, a virtual computer that I would let them on. But then after ten or fifteen minutes, they would usually hang up. And I realized, well, if I do something to my voice, I sound a little bit older or whatever. Now the scammers think I'm a better target. And as time progressed it, Yeah, we kind of honed in on being able to take them down some crazy stories. For sure.
Speaker 4: What what just because it hit me in the head of what is a virtual computer?
Speaker 1: What's a fake?
Speaker 6: Good? Good?
Speaker 5: I'm glad you asked, because I just say it, and I yeah, So a virtual machine is another way to describe it. But I kind of have a computer inside of my computer, it's a whole other place. So it looks like Windows, and it essentially is Windows. But if the scammers delete all of my files, which they do all the time, or upload a virus or something like that. I can just turn that computer off and start over afresh, like nothing ever happened. It's like a wow.
Speaker 1: Is that you do? You have to?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm a moron with computers?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: That sounds like something everybody should have, right, I mean.
Speaker 5: Oh good. You know it's a bummer that you can't really do that with your everyday computer. But usually they're used for more just in the development world or in the cloud or I have a background in software engineering, so it was something that I just knew about.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had three years of theater training at Boston University, so I feel you and I can talk pretty much on the same You.
Speaker 5: Learned a lot about computers there, Oh, I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, psychology degree here, so.
Speaker 4: Since it was in the eighties, we're out with my psychology degree, Jason. I.
Speaker 1: As far as tech, we go, Hello help me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know to call again.
Speaker 1: So you're obviously tech savvy. You're dealing with some really bad guys. I mean, and if you listen again, you should go online and listen to some of his calls because there. There's an entertainment value to this. It's huge. You have millions of people watching you do it. So there's also catharsists that people feel because you're doing stuff that they guess that law enforcement can't do, that government can't do because these scams are so prevalent, they don't have the time, et cetera. So, yeah, these guys are so good, though, have you ever gotten scared where you went? Uh? Oh, this guy has infiltrated and is smart, and I think I may be at risk here.
Speaker 5: It definitely early on, this was Yeah, By twenty seventeen was when I really started. Remember there was a day where these scammers had logged into their PayPal account on my virtual computer, and I don't know if they just forgot that they were on my computer, because if you don't know this, a lot of times they will connect to your personal computer using some kind of virtual or like a remote control software so they can give you support for another place. Well, maybe they got mixed up and they're lugging into their company's PayPal on my computer. Well I can just cut them off. So I disconnected their connection and I'm thinking, oh, well, now I have access to all of their finances. Maybe I can refund people or contact PayPal. But I foolish me, you know, being new at this, I said, oh, you made a big mistake. Like on the phone, I just said, like, you guys messed up. I'm on your you know I'm on your account. And they started saying like, I know exactly who you are, I know where you live, I have your IP address. You made a mistake too, I'm going to come get your kids. And I have kids, and the things that they're saying were very vague, but they would say like I know that you're I know that you have a laptop, which I wasn't using laptop, but I did have a laptop next to me. And at the time, I remember being like, oh, no, I've made a mistake. I literally hung up the phone, called tried calling like the FBI local field office, and I'm calling the police, thinking I'm going they're gonna come take a hit on me. But then I realized they were just nervous and trying to make me scared, and they had no clue what they were talking about. And now that I've done this for a while, I've kind of realized most of the individuals I talked to are kind of low on the run of these organizations, and they're like kids out of college trying to make away in the scam world or whatever it would be. But it's not this mafia crime lord situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not talking to Don Corleon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what can you do as you navigate this legally? You can't turn on somebody's camera to see what they're doing. I mean, what's the line ethically that you decide or this the law decide for you. What you can do? It can't do to these people. I know sometimes I think I read that you refinded people some money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good question. So I've tried to stay on the correct side of the law. And it's different in every state, it's different in every country, so it could be tricky. It's also I've talked to various lawyers over the years about it, and they tell me that it's a literal gray area, like it's there's some of this stuff the law and the precedent that they have.
Speaker 3: Well, you're you're kind of here.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, you're your your your borderline or over the border of vigilanteism, which technically is.
Speaker 5: Not legal for sure, So I personally, what.
Speaker 4: You can do before somebody goes no, I've got you now, is you just crossed.
Speaker 5: I've tried to stay pretty clear on the side of well, basically every state in every country has a law about accessing someone's computer without their consent, right, So I don't do that. I don't connect to their computer because I clearly don't have their consent.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: There's things like that, Well, could I upload some kind of backdoor mailware to get inside of their computer? Even though that's not my expertise. Sure, I probably could, or I could have a friend help me do that, but I don't because technically that's illegal for me, and it's just one of those well it's a gray area maybe because you could say, well, the guy's a criminal, what's he gonna do? Come sue you? Yeah, But I just have stayed away from that, and I've found that there's other ways that I can still be effective in trying to gather information. So I kind of hack them mentally. That sounds maybe bad, but like social engineering is the term. So if you could imagine, if I'm playing an older character and they really think that I'm the perfect victim, They're going to ask me to wire money to their bank account, and then they're going to give me their bank account, and sometimes will give me multiple bank accounts or addresses or all kinds of bitcoin wallets and things that then I can turn over to law enforcement or bank fraud people and then they can do whatever they need to do, and they have the legal ability to do it.
Speaker 1: So you just facility facilitate that. Now. I know, as I talk to your manager briefly, he said, you created this AI using AI. Now we started by saying you kept people on the phone for two hours. Now you have the ability to keep somebody on almost indefinitely if they'll stay on correct, which it's like gauntlet that you created.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this is actually I don't think I've talked about it before, and there's no YouTube videos about it yet, so soon I will probably put this out there. I think what he may have been referring to is something that I call the gauntlet because I don't know what else to call it. But it's a kind of like a trap where the scammers let me back up for a second. So lately the scammers want me to pay with bitcoin, I say me, but I play the victim, right, I call up. I fall for their scam, and then they'll say, go take some money out of your bank, go to a bitcoin ATM. I don't know if you know much about those. I literally have never even seen one physically in real life. Wow, but they do exist. So you go to this gas station. It's a kind of like an ATM machine. You put cash in it, and you can purchase bitcoin and send it to anyone essentially instantly. So at the end you get a receipt, and the scammers want that receipt because it has some proof for sometimes a QR code that they can scan and now have your money. So we thought, what if we fake this receipt. We photoshop a fake looking receipt and that QR code is actually just a link to our website, and the one eight hundred number on the receipt is actually just my one eight hundred number with an AI like system that we talk to them. And so we made this whole essentially fake company that makes it look like you are getting bitcoin. But in reality.
Speaker 4: That is fantastic and I'm fascinated. But I have to go back one step, one step.
Speaker 3: You have a manager. What am I missing? Do you get?
Speaker 4: What are you doing commercials and speaking engagements and what is your managers?
Speaker 1: What I think, by the way, am baiting maybe more lucrative than what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: What you're doing, I mean, what is what is your manager managing?
Speaker 5: It's honestly, no, that's fine. Sometimes I even feel silly when I when I first started doing this, I remember telling my parents about it, and they were kind of like, are you sure you because I did software and that's a great living, right, and like, so you're gonna you're gonna call people on the phone and make videos like that doesn't make any sense. But it's grown to the point where we just between editing all of the videos, coming up with ideas for the videos, and then building these tools. So we haven't really talked about it. But I have to have a fake bank account because the scammers want to get on my bank and I'm not going to use my real bank. Sure, so we've had to create our own banks or things that mimic real banks, or we have to make it so we have this well wells ergo, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I understand why he needs a lawyer to manage.
Speaker 5: Okay, the manager. I'll quickly answer the manager question that we could talk about the bank. It's just it's just grown so much to where we have a team of people. I'm not a manager. I'm a goofy guy who like I like improv and coming up with crazy ideas. I don't know how to manage people. I don't know how to keep track of business things right, lawyers, meetings, all that stuff. I'll just get trapped. Well, I say trapped. I have fun getting sucked into this all day conversation with a scammer, and I'm missing my meetings with lawyers or this type of engagement.
Speaker 4: So he's reminded, So you don't have a manager, you have a nanny, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: He's got a team, a team of people.
Speaker 4: The weird thing would be I could use a nanny myself, I understand.
Speaker 1: But years of figuring out how to scam scammers, he's losing all his money to a terrestrial team running with what do you mean? No money? Because you're good and because I don't know what your future is And I don't mean you don't have a future. I don't know if you want to do this forever. I don't know if people are going to be tuning in forever. But because you do characters, and I know you do Edna an older woman Vernon until I'm going to offer you something right now, I don't know how well to do you are. But this man sitting next to is a acting teacher, and I don't even think that kid Boga money could afford Jason. Alexander's an acting teacher. But because he's here, if I ask him nicely to give you some advice, do your character. Do a character for him, and maybe he can give you some insight into how to make the characters more believable, how to give it a little more depth. Okay, So Jason, is that? Okay, we do. I can't mention who he hold your coaches because of hip hop, and I'll give you my.
Speaker 4: Fake bank and you can reminder it.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say it. If you want to amp it up a level too, it would take me literally thirty seconds to call a scammer. And then.
Speaker 1: No, no, we don't have time for that. Don't be don't be stupid. Okay, So your parents when you told them I'm gonna make phone calls, now they go, you know my kid does. It's a lot of money making.
Speaker 3: If we call a scammer I'm gonna play his mother.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jason, way, ja, let's do. Let's see your characters and then we'll call a scammer and Jason the spot.
Speaker 4: So who is one of your car If I call up and I go hello, who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: I mean one of the main ones is Edna, which I have to pitch shift my voice, yes, so it's higher pitched, and then I make it behind a filter.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm sounds like an older phone or or.
Speaker 5: I can just I kind of pretend like I don't have guns. I only have guns like this.
Speaker 4: Well, let me just say right off the bat if I may you're working from the outside and not the inside, so you know you're you're affecting a physical change. But I don't know who Edna is. Do you understand what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: Totally?
Speaker 5: Yes, Edna.
Speaker 3: Tell me a little bit about Edna.
Speaker 5: Well, I have a cat. I have a cat named.
Speaker 6: Whiskers.
Speaker 4: Okay, you took a little time there coming up with mister Whiskers with no mister Whiskers in her heartbeat. She doesn't have that kind you mention. So first of all, get your story straight. Do you have a do you have a sheet a cheat sheet when you're right down the importance. Do you have like a character, kind of a character biography?
Speaker 5: I do, I used to, because I do, I have what.
Speaker 3: Was Edna's mother's name, maiden name?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Pause, that's the kind of thing.
Speaker 4: The way as soon as you what did Edna have for breakfast today?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: A Prince movie?
Speaker 3: Okay? That was pretty good. That's pretty good. Specific and it was quick.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 5: The I did not. I don't play her as much because she was so like she I think she became so.
Speaker 1: Now if I was your parent, I'm playing parent enough with the excuse me, give us another character.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: He's already and I did. Go ahead another character.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I am my mind. This is rich My name's Richard Andrews on the seatgo of Crow Pro. It's it's a brand new AI power tool that allows you to identify the crows in your backyard. It's going to change the world.
Speaker 4: Okay, is that something you would actually say, because let me just say, as a reasonably intelligent person, I already don't buy your premise.
Speaker 3: See this is the kind of thing Joe did buy it. Well, you know what can I say about sleepy, sleepy jokes.
Speaker 1: More, give us one more character and then we'll do the call. Ye are you do you understand what we're giving you here?
Speaker 5: I'd have to ask my manager. I have no idea. Okay, I mean this was the first, the first care throughout probably head. I just tried to do some kind of strange show.
Speaker 3: Where's he from? Where's that guy from?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Loslle Kentucky?
Speaker 3: Wrong?
Speaker 5: My mother wrong, say wrong.
Speaker 4: That's not a Kentucky dialect. So you didn't study. You didn't study at all. And this is what I mean. People think they're acting kids today. People think that this is Josh, Oh, make a voice, change your voice with a machine. They don't understand the work, the background, the effort, the thought.
Speaker 3: What's your intention? What's your objective?
Speaker 1: There you go, what's You're super objective? You appreciate all this? You know'll be funny. Would be funny is watching after he enacts what you've taught him, all his numbers go into the let's make the call. On the call with you conjacon to a character.
Speaker 5: Yes, I told you would take thirty seconds. It might take me like a minute.
Speaker 1: What the hell where are we going?
Speaker 5: I will say, admittedly to a lot of what ends up happening is I tell people. To me, it's like a playground where I know what the line is sometimes with the scammer, so I know that I can't say that I'm inventing a new cryptos currency called crow coin or whatever, but I do it anyway because I'm curious to see what will they put up with it. And so sometimes I'll say, like, like.
Speaker 7: I gotta lick my cat because he doesn't lock himself, and sometimes I get hair balls and.
Speaker 5: And this like that makes no sense, whoever, who would ever do that? But the scammers, oh, you know, I have to do that too, because.
Speaker 1: Can you tell why they're not ready? Can you tell the moment where a scammer knows they're in, that the door has opened, and that they're gonna waste two days with you because they think the three hundred thousand dollars is coming? Can you tell when that when when it takes a turn? Yeah?
Speaker 5: When you yeah, you Usually usually there's this pause after we show uh the fake bank account. There's a lot of money in it, and sometimes they'll go from being kind of angry and aggressive too. You know, man, you remind me so much of my grandmother. Like they kind of totally shift and they'll start asking me personal questions because they're thinking, oh, now I really need to like be friends with this person and make a connection because I need to take all of their money.
Speaker 4: Sure can't tell when you get this camera on the phone, which of your characters you're going.
Speaker 6: To do.
Speaker 5: Today?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 5: It can be anything. Who do you want to play?
Speaker 4: I was going to base it off of whoever you decide you want to know? What if you if you do your old man guy, your Richard is what's his last name, Richard Andrews, Andrews, I'm going to be Maureen Andrews, your wife. I'll be Maureen Andrews the wife. Okay, yeah, it's not a little older than him. What that's fine?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Where did we meet? We did we bowling?
Speaker 6: High school?
Speaker 1: High school?
Speaker 3: We've been Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, what would that be be?
Speaker 3: High school? Nineteen sixty.
Speaker 5: Nineteen sixty two?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: I think we might need to be older than that.
Speaker 4: We might need to die in our seventies, isn't it twenty two?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Twenty two? Yeah, you're dead, you're deceased. Ay older than that.
Speaker 5: I got to go back to high school.
Speaker 3: I can't do math that yeah sixty two.
Speaker 4: We met in high school and he was, Oh my god, is he stunning.
Speaker 5: What what will probably do is if you're one of the biggest scams right now, that's just there's I get them. Every single day a message appears on your computer and it says threat detected trojan. I say, trojan, trojan, spyware and that maybe we'll do that one. That's kind of my that has a lot so the ideas. I don't know what to do.
Speaker 6: We were doing something on the computer.
Speaker 3: We're being threatened, we're being threatened, and I.
Speaker 1: Have what do you have to look up? The that you're locked out? And I'm scared to go to it because what would it be you're trying to get to it. I don't know the way.
Speaker 4: He's a professional. I'm the castello to his abboit right now.
Speaker 5: All right, let me know if you hear this, it should work.
Speaker 1: Lady and gentlemen. For the first time ever, scampating with case in Alexander and.
Speaker 5: I don't hear anything, now do you hear ringing?
Speaker 3: Ah? I thank you for calling support.
Speaker 5: I can help you.
Speaker 6: Hello Hello, Before I.
Speaker 3: Can do I can't understand him.
Speaker 6: I can hear you. I can hear you.
Speaker 5: Okay, we just email from you saying we oh a bunch of money?
Speaker 6: Can you hear us?
Speaker 3: I don't unders.
Speaker 5: Sounds kind of like a robot.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, what happened? Is this geek squad?
Speaker 3: Is he a robot?
Speaker 5: I don't know, Honey, Richard a robot? We don't pay for We don't pay for geek squad and we just got a bill.
Speaker 8: Okay, can he just confirm me the harder ID number number?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What is he? I don't see a number or what we had was in a nicefacation. I don't see a number.
Speaker 6: Four seven, g it could be a three?
Speaker 3: Is that an en?
Speaker 7: Or?
Speaker 3: Why do we have to have another? Can you help us? Why can't he just help us?
Speaker 6: It will be a better huh?
Speaker 5: I have we can't hear you.
Speaker 3: What does he saying he's a robot? I think it's a robot.
Speaker 8: Tell me your body name, your last name.
Speaker 5: Oh andrews, he wants your last name, mister Andrew.
Speaker 3: Just hold on, okay, Richard and Maureen Andrew.
Speaker 5: Look us up. Are we in your system?
Speaker 3: And why is it take we have to be in this system. They said, give me a notification.
Speaker 5: I don't know about this. This could be one of those This could be one of those things on Facebook, you know, Maureen, it could be one of those fake things. I don't know.
Speaker 3: If, of course, we're here, we need your.
Speaker 8: Help, okay, But right now the problem is that we found that like to be naptivated for five years.
Speaker 6: What has brought you the five.
Speaker 5: Hundred dollars five hundred you want to that? I don't know if we're going to be around for another five years.
Speaker 9: He wants five or five years, So it's gonna take five years to result.
Speaker 5: We're down there. I'm not a family anymore. We don't even buy a full loaf of bread these days. We do the half loafs I don't know about next week, let alone five years.
Speaker 4: The half the half loaf is actually far more economical.
Speaker 9: And I've told you that, and you make fun of it. He did make fun of you. Make fun of it all the time. He makes fun of it, sir. But the half, the half is the economical purchase you, sir.
Speaker 8: I just do you have any computer in part of it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: So we get solved right now.
Speaker 3: We can solve it right now.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 3: You don't solve it? Yes, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 9: My god? We will not find the machine. It's right in front of the machine sentence. Okay, Oh for God's sake, Oh, for God's sake, sir, do you.
Speaker 3: He can't kill you?
Speaker 1: Know what?
Speaker 3: You've been no help to us? Whatsoever?
Speaker 4: I was willing to pay for the service if it was going to work out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we don't want to helpless.
Speaker 1: We don't want.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, goodbye. We don't want it. We'll kick it off my machine.
Speaker 1: Let me just say for a second, guys, let me just say, I need a second to both myself, because that's all like visiting my grand product during my childhood, was my entire childhood was that? You know? I got to say, I think I'm out, Laurie. I think Peter told this out.
Speaker 4: The Technophobes, starring Get Bogga and Jason Allenson.
Speaker 3: What do you say, kid?
Speaker 1: You like the double team? Feeling better? Does it make you happier?
Speaker 5: It is fun because it creates a world for me too. So a lot of times it's just me and the scammer, and like an improv, it's what is it? Yes?
Speaker 1: And right?
Speaker 5: I've never taken any formal training. But I know, and that's.
Speaker 1: Clear, and.
Speaker 3: There are things you don't have to tell us. Kid, it's OK.
Speaker 5: But but the scammers they think it's real life. Sure, and so like sometimes I'm giving them a lot to work with. You know, I'm making up whole stories. There's I got a whole universe, and they won't give me anything back. So having a guest, well, now I could just have fun like creating.
Speaker 4: Hey listen, I can I ask one or two questions before you go to your knowledge? Have you ever been part of putting someone away or or you know, have you ever made a victim whole as a result of your work?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So they're actually one thing that's been happening, going back to that kind of AI gauntlet thing that I was talking about. These scammers are calling in thinking that they're getting bigcoin. They think that if they call the automated phone line, they'll be able to transfer the money to their bitcoin wallet. And we purposely make it so the system can't understand what they're saying. So even if they even if we do understand what they're saying, the AI will talk back and say like it'll just get confused and We did that for fun, because we thought it was funny. But then one day, all of a sudden, okay, we listened to these calls. There's an older woman on the phone here in the US, and we like, this doesn't this doesn't make any sense. Why would some old lady be calling asking And she was even saying, I want to get my bitcoin stock, like what the bitcoin stock? And so it turns out one of the scammers told her, well, if you call this number. She had lost a bunch of money from them, we're giving you this money back because they were fed up trying to clean their bitcoin and they thought the system couldn't understand. And it turns out this lady had been scammed six seven years by these guys, had no idea what was going on. So we were able to talk to her, have some people locally come and help her. And now financially it's difficult because you have to have like law enforcement or different people actually that all of the history of seven years would go through. It's complicated. But she this has now happened, I want to say, maybe a dozen times in the past couple months of these people calling in this hotline that are victims. And then we're able to.
Speaker 3: When I get something.
Speaker 4: When I get a spam message and I hit a block and report spam, does that actually help?
Speaker 3: Or am I just wasting my time? I'm sure so.
Speaker 5: I Well, from the software engineers perspective, you probably are trained some AI somewhere to help reil more effective, so.
Speaker 1: You might have Yeah, of course, weird question for you knowing that these are scammers, but also knowing the gig economy is hurting people in a lot more people are hurting and looking for a way to make a living, so there is desperation. Have you ever connected with a scammer where you felt any kind of emotional thing where you felt bad for the scammer or connected with them in a way that you wanted to actually reach out to them and maybe find out what's going on there? Or does it never get that deep? No?
Speaker 5: There There has been quite a few times when I first started, I would do what I call revealing, so I would be playing a gramper character and then all of a sudden, I would say, it's me. I got you, like you wasted four days right, the gig is up. And sometimes that would lead into some kind of heartfelt moments or some conversation because I could say what are you doing? Why are you spending? And I would get into conver I don't really do that anymore. I'll talk about why in a minute if you want to know. But the the heartfelt conversation sometimes would come out because they would say, well, I you know, it's really hard to feed my family, or I can't find any other job or whatever excuse. And sometimes they would say like, I'm really trying here, and I feel bad about it. I don't want to scam people, but so the first few times that happened, I would kind of this is just a sucky situation all around. But then I started piecing all the stories together and realizing, oh my goodness. Sometimes these scammers say that there's another scam that's part too, because they ask me for money. At the end, they're like, don't you feel bad for me to give me money. But there had been a few times. I remember one guy in particular. If you remember the IRS scams that were really big, yeah, three four years ago, I was doing a bunch of calls one day of these IRS scammers, and one guy answered the phone. He says, hello, like, I R S can help you. I'm so scared. I need but I think I'm going to prison. And he said, sir, this is a scam. Just hang up. And I would be like, what, why is this guy? And so I asked him and he said, I don't want to do this. This call isn't recorded. I'm just telling everyone to hang up and collecting my paycheck. Good for that guy, which.
Speaker 4: I will tell you if this doesn't work out. I do think you have a future in my world.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 4: I think our kitcom is viable and when the strike is over, I'm gonna go pitch we worked. I would be honored.
Speaker 3: Well God, you know, thank you for this word.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're you're having fun and and you're making a living doing it, butfully you're doing you're doing God's work. I mean, if I'm just a small sample and I don't fall for it, but I can certainly imagine people who can get ruined by this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And if mostly at the terres there's an awareness of people listening, Oh my god, I just did that happened to me. Subscribe at kit Boga show on Twitter at kid Boga and he's on Twitch, he's on TikTok and thank you for coming on your time. Man. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that that was that was a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: First off, let me just say you're not bad and acting. I was pushing to you, but that was pretty fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Without benefit of groundling training or anything like that, only in character.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I will reveal to the listener and viewing audience that was a cheap a character.
Speaker 3: That's my mother, because I know your mother. My mother is not that whinny. I my mother.
Speaker 1: This is the truth.
Speaker 3: We are recording this everybody on August twenty eight, right, and my mother passed away on this day. No, so that was like an honor to her and my mother.
Speaker 4: My mother would always say to me, I don't sound like that. I don't sound like that, and I go, no, you're right, but I make you, I make you funnier.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's funny that we're talking about scams. The big HBO series right is Telemarketers, which is if you haven't seen it, you should. I'm not all in all because it's it. It shows these rooms where these people are just reaching out and now they're doing sea packs. They're doing political They're faking people calling staying they're a political pack. And lying and taking all of the money. Because of the HBO show, they opened an investigation into that company, and I think these guys got fined an enormous amount of money. But you're talking about tens of millions of dollars that they're calling staying there for eternal order of polices?
Speaker 3: Can I just I mean, I know this. I don't want to be indelicate about this, but.
Speaker 4: When I watched Kits some of his Twister stuff, and today, everybody that I've seen him talk to has some sort of Indian or that region of the world accent.
Speaker 3: Is that because you know, they come here and and there's just not a lot of work opportunity or or are they countries or.
Speaker 1: A lot of them are countries that are there are povery stricken and.
Speaker 3: Legitimately I noticed that too.
Speaker 4: If I if I call actual tech support or customer support, it's sourced out and I'll hear that accent as well.
Speaker 3: So I'm not you know, I don't know a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the countries that are impoverished, they have they do this and because it's it's an easy scam to do. You just need a phone, you need a list, and it's there, and that was one of the pushbacks on revenge scamming, where they're saying it can be racist because of it a peer that you're targeting certain groups of people or certain countries whatever. So there's that, there's the overstepping of the laws.
Speaker 6: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Why not you just turn them in, et cetera. Yeah, because other countries, like you said, Browning in Britain can do different stuff that he can't do. In some countries you can do revenge.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the other thing I would have if I wanted to create a scammering like this, I would outsource it to places where I don't think the law could touch.
Speaker 1: Exactly so or even trapped or even track them down. Do you know what a brushing skim? This is the newest thing. I think Laurie had this happen to produce lawier. Do you know what the brushing scam is? Brushing scam is when you get packages delivered to your house from Amazon that you didn't order, and they're usually lightweight, they don't cost much, and you get to keep them because the law says they're yours. These third parties sometimes it's a legitimate company, it's sending it to you, so they can then say they got their sales orders up, et cetera. Uh huh. Number two though, if you accept it, they know somebody is there, they know who that is, they know what you've done. Now you're on a list, a mailing list of more for more scams. It's a way for them to test whether you returned it or not. I mean there's so many layers.
Speaker 4: Now you go, I'm sending back the scarf, I'm sending anybody listening, I'm sending.
Speaker 1: Back the scarf. And then there's there's the other part of this, which is revenge. Why do we do revenge? I looked up a lot of studies. It's that immediately after revenge, it feels good, but there's remorse after the fact.
Speaker 3: The humans because what he's doing revenge.
Speaker 1: It is revenge. How it is revenge.
Speaker 3: It's vengeance. That's vengeance.
Speaker 1: It's going to people that have been scammed and revenge through society came up to keep society in order. You were you, you you retaliate against somebody who's done the commune You're small group wrong to show the group that in the future you're not going to put up with that stuff. But today, when it's remote and you're not affected by it face to face. What's the what's the revenge hit that we're getting. As far as the endorsement, well, you know, he's what what kid is doing.
Speaker 4: And I get it because it really is like the phony phone calls we did as a kid, which we're we're wasting somebody's time.
Speaker 3: It's it's you're goofing on somebody.
Speaker 4: And because it gives you a sense of I know what I'm doing, I'm in on the joke, this person's not.
Speaker 3: There is something about it's.
Speaker 4: It's it's that thing where when you were a kid, if you weren't the one being bullied, but you were in the group, you felt somehow safe and superior. And young people make that mistake all the time of going well, I wasn't doing it, I wasn't the bully, but you weren't stopping it bringer and you were participating, even in silence.
Speaker 3: And why do we do that?
Speaker 4: I think it's because in that moment, you do feel empowered, you feel part of a community, you have power and purpose, and there's there's somebody who's taken the brunt of it and it's not you, And it's a lot of that shot and for aut a kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Scam scams and scammers against scammers is growing because people feel government's not doing anything, so it's so pervasive. Tech world isn't doing anything, so screw it. I'll do that. By the way, there are scams that were okay with when you think about it. We live with scams all the time. College book scam where you pay a fortune for the college books that you need. Insurance scam. You pay every day for your insurance for your car, then you have a little fender bender and they raise your rate. And health insurance they hire people to turn down your claim, say why you're ineligible for that drug, but you've been paying all on.
Speaker 3: Well, the scams that I liked more and this is not my observation.
Speaker 4: I think it may have been Robert Klein who did this thing about you pay more for an unlisted number. And he called me said, what's that, head labor, What do you a somebody to run around and erase my number out of the phone.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about that?
Speaker 4: You know it used to be you could there's a thing now where if you no, not now because they fixed it, but it used to be.
Speaker 3: If you if you checked your own items at the supermarket.
Speaker 1: They charge you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a day they charged you because you weren't letting them.
Speaker 1: How about a sharing charge you at a restaurant. You said, we're gona go to split this make up. We gott add five.
Speaker 4: And I was just in New Jersey. I had to gas up my rental car. You're not allowed to pump your own gas in New Jersey. You're not allowed to pump your own Really, no, really, you're not allowed to pump your own gas. A guy came out and said, can I help you?
Speaker 3: Went no?
Speaker 1: Is that because way? Wait rightly?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 1: Is that because they feel New Jersey? If you're not capable or no, go to Googleheim. Let's go to Google Home to wrap this thing up. David Googleheim. What do you got?
Speaker 10: Yes, well, uh, New Jersey is one of the only I believe actually, New Jersey is the last state in the country.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a job job creating.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, all right, all right, all right, all the good gas pumping jobs.
Speaker 1: You have to chip.
Speaker 4: Chip the guy you want to call the tipping expert we spoke to.
Speaker 3: Yes, you gotta you gotta give them too.
Speaker 4: You gotta give them a buck something, siphon the stuff out there?
Speaker 1: What else you got? Well, before we go.
Speaker 3: On, I just want to make sure is my camera running? Yes, Well, why don't you go outside and catch it?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: We gotta go. I don't know. I think you to joke book online something. I don't know what happened either that or did you have a.
Speaker 4: Strong What are you doing David to say, you're talking about old scams, the old scam my camera?
Speaker 3: Well let him out. For God's sake, you okay, I get it, I get you should do it this way.
Speaker 1: No, I don't have them all right, David, we're hitting home runs, baby, Yeah, I.
Speaker 11: Know that's it for me.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was the prep you said, I can't talk now I'm prepping into the show. That was it.
Speaker 3: I had prep.
Speaker 10: I actually looked into the early days of vigilanteism in this country, and you know what, it's it's.
Speaker 3: Really dark for a comedy podcast. It's gonna go.
Speaker 1: We're doing a whole episode just on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: The vigilante thing is really I'll tell you what. One of the there was something called the Vigilante Committees.
Speaker 2: This was something in the seventeen.
Speaker 10: Hundreds that became very popular throughout the entire country. One of the heads of one of the committees. His name was Colonel Charles Lynch.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, oh boy, it's great, David. I think you could see you know what that's always go out in high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Charles Lynch, Well, he might be brown. Yeah yeah, wow wow. That's why I went with the joke.
Speaker 4: Here's my question about you know, vigilantes and revenge and all that stuff. When did you When did it change where you have to be a septagenarian to be a really good revenge taker, Because according to the movies Clint Eastwood, Well, Clinian, Watch Out, Liam Neeson, Denzel Washington, even Keanu Reeves is you know he's he's pushing it. He's in his fifties. Now I'm going when it used to be. Even Charles Bronson and Death Wish. You know, he was even not a young sprite.
Speaker 1: Now it's I'm coming to get you. Give me a hand.
Speaker 4: Mason walks in. I give him a nill away for and a cup of tea? Am I really worried about?
Speaker 1: There's a new taking coming on score Taking eight and Lisa says keeper just keeping it too. I got leg cramps.
Speaker 4: It's what is really called taking eight I'm taking the money, That's what it's called taking.
Speaker 1: I have leg cramps. Do you have a beverage? Do you have any kind of beverage or something in the banana? I need I need some potassium.
Speaker 3: We have your granddaughter, I have a granddaughter, you know, or somebody else.
Speaker 1: Clint Eastwood, maybe you'll be and cliste. What's going. I'm sitting in a comfortable chair. I'm not getting up bright.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can keep have a particular set of skills. I can't remember what they are. So so final thoughts, I like, what the man does I really do?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm on the fence a little bit because it's a little childish, but to the extent that he is making victims whole, and that he is aiding law enforcement in finding out who these guys are because they're all breaking the law. That's the you know, that's the longest short of it. We call them scammers.
Speaker 1: We have all kinds of the names.
Speaker 3: They're criminals.
Speaker 4: If it's like and I don't care how desperate they are, If they go I was really desperate, That's why I broke into your house, then you know cleaned you out.
Speaker 3: I like what he's doing. I think it's I.
Speaker 1: Say, what's the door and this? And I will wrap this up, but I got to say how adorable it is. And this is why he's my best friend. I've done interviews for a long time when the reader, so I've interviewed a ton of people who do amazing things, remarkable stuff, weird stuff. Because this is kind of new to you. When we have on somebody who does gene editing or like this guy, you're always you're doing them, You're doing God's you're doing, You're doing amazing stuff. I'm so much more cynical, not that he's not doing interesting stuff. But I always parson with you found a scammer, Paul, the f behind report him and they'll go after him. Get the money. Yet he's making And I'm not saying it's negative what he's doing. It's just I always reserve before I go, sir, I'm putting all my money and investing in what you're doing to help. There are still questions for me. He's making better living than scammers, right, but but he could be donating. I'm not saying he's there's anything negative. I'm just a little bit more reserved with the you're doing. You're doing God's work than you are, but you have you. I guess when you do so many of these, you lose your innocence just a bit.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I will always say for anybody that winds up doing anything, I'll tell you why. You know how many people have come to me and said, you're an angel on Gods. I go, I'm just doing a set, I'm just doing a play.
Speaker 3: I'm just doing a thing.
Speaker 4: But you're you're do but you're touching me, you're giving me mon So he's he's doing the same thing. He's just doing him what he does, but what he does winds up benefiting.
Speaker 1: Team are helping people making benefiting. If you do the sitcom, we were all there were all part of it, everything the other room, we all get a piece.
Speaker 4: I also want to know if I go to the Devryan Institute for the two week course, am I able to where banks guy he's got a computer and a computer, he's got.
Speaker 1: A link to a chain, to a thing to a fake phone, says you and I when we see printer needs tarner.
Speaker 2: We go on.
Speaker 1: All right, And this has been another episode of really really thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks now really.
Speaker 2: As another episode. If Really you Know Really comes to a close, I bet you're wondering what the top five scams are. I'll tell you in a moment, but first I'd like to think our guest, Kit Boga. He's on Twitch dot tv, slash kit Boga, at kit Boga Show on YouTube, and at the Kit Boga Show on TikTok. You can find us online at reallynoreally dot com. We're also on Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and threads at.
Speaker 3: Really No Really Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please check out our full episodes on YouTube. Hit that subscribe button and tick that bell so you're updated when we release new videos. If you have a really No Really, let us know and if we use it, we may send you something amazing like a signed picture of Peter I Don't Know. Thank you for listening, subscribing, and sharing the show. We release new episodes of Really No Really every Tuesday, so make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: And now some of the top five scams.
Speaker 11: The cryptocurrency romance scam, the student loan forgiveness scam, the fake antivirus software scam, the classic Nigerian print scam, and the free gift QR code scam.
Speaker 2: And as I have yet to get a check for this gig, I'm just going to go ahead and add the paid podcast announcer scam about which I will be calling my agent. Really, No, really is the production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment