Speaker 1: Hey, there are folks.
Speaker 2: In this episode, we continue our Love Stories series and today's couple Lauren and her situation from reality TV to rehab, from family to federal prison. Mike and Lauren Sorrentino have seen a lot. Welcome every bide you this special Cuffing season edition of Amy and TJ and Robes. They've seen a lot, but it almost comes through in talking to them that it seems like they had don't have a care in the world, like we've been there, done that. They seemed they were so incredibly strong to me and talking to them.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you of all the couples we have interviewed, they shocked me the most. You know, you have expectations and then you have the reality. And they were like a shining light of hope and inspiration in a way I could never have predicted or thought. I was taking more notes with what they each had to say about their relationship, their choices, how they've evolved. It was. It was breathtaking. Actually, and they're not I mean they're young, they're much younger than me, and yet still they had so much wisdom because they have gone through so much. As you pointed out something you left out they broke up, broke up completely for years in between dating and then actually dating again and eventually getting married. But you're talking about was it up to eight years of dating on and off before they ever actually ended up being serious enough to get engaged.
Speaker 2: And people, of course know Mike the situation Sorrentino of his Jersey Shore fame. But during that stint, that time of their uber stardom, she wasn't in the picture.
Speaker 1: They were together.
Speaker 2: She was not along for that wild ride of his. But they've known each other. I can't remember what age they said, but they.
Speaker 3: Made seventeen eighteen. It was really young, you know, with the Jersey Shore to teenagers. They they said they had immediate chemistry. That's one of the questions we ask all of our couples, what it was like the moment you met, And.
Speaker 1: It doesn't it's not all the same.
Speaker 3: They were the fireworks story initially, but there was a long break and you know, to find out, she came back to him at probably one of the lowest times of his life and she stuck with him. And it's really cool to hear about the foundation of their love and the changes and commitments they made to one another. But to themselves as well. That led them to where they are today. And it was I mean, it was inspirational to see where they are today.
Speaker 2: And like we said, I mentioned at the top of their federal prison was a part of the story. Yep, she made the choice to marry him knowing he was about to go into prison. This wasn't a situation where right, she agreed to marry him and then all of a sudden these everything changed. No, No, they made a conscious decision. I'm going to be here when you get out. We might as well go ahead and get married. Now, this story is a hell of a story.
Speaker 3: Oh I On a lighter note, so we have noticed a theme we haven't talked about this yet among our interviewees, where they're all happy. That was one of the reasons why we wanted to interview them. They had all gone through something and they all were happy. There was one issue in the household that seemed to throw everybody off, tripped everybody out, tripped everybody off up. Sorry, and Mike and Lauren have the best answer yet about how they handled this particular household chort.
Speaker 2: So men listening and any woman who has a man living in the house with you Mike, the situation has figured it out.
Speaker 3: Yes, without a doubt. It was a mic dropping moment.
Speaker 4: So they are.
Speaker 2: Now added to the list of our diverse group of couples that we are talking to asking the exact same list of questions about the relationship, about fights, about household chores, about finances, sex, Yes, all of it. We've asked them the same questions and the answers are fantastic so far. Again, to remind you, we dropping a new episode every day of the week Monday through Friday leading up to Valentine's Day, and today we had a treat for you, so enjoy our conversation with Mike and Lauren.
Speaker 3: Mike and Lauren, thank you for being with us today.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you for having us.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having us.
Speaker 3: How are you guys doing right now?
Speaker 4: Oh, we're doing amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we are thriving. We are now a family of five.
Speaker 6: They have a family of chickens in our backyard as well, eight chickens, so we are just like a busy little circus of a farm over here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We are going on our seventh year of marriage. We've been at hometown, New Jersey for about six years. I'm also going on ten years of sobriety this year at the end of this year was really big for me as well. So we are really just thriving. But at the end of the day, we take everything one day to time.
Speaker 3: Congratulations on all of the above. Seriously, those were all individually amazing feeds, so that's awesome to hear that update. We're going to start with the questions We've asked all of our couples to begin with. I love this first question. Can each of you give me three words to describe the current state of your relationship?
Speaker 1: Michae will start with you.
Speaker 4: Solid. Also, I would like to describe our relationship as very loving. And also does true love sat count as two words or one word?
Speaker 3: You can make it one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I feel that we're love so kind of. We have so much history to drop on, so you know, definitely rock steady. We've built our foundation on on on that. And also we're a very loving family. And also I consider us true love.
Speaker 6: All right, lad say, passionate, connected and strong.
Speaker 2: Connected and strong.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. After how many years against seven years marriage.
Speaker 6: Seven years married, about twenty one we've known each other for twenty one years, not together for twenty one years collectively. But I met him when I was nineteen and I just turned forty last month, So yes, I've known him more than half my life.
Speaker 2: All right, So what you all are saying now takes us directly back into our next question, which is, was there immediate chemistry when you first met?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent? We met in college math class, and she was the first blonde that I had ever wanted to date. I had for burnettes, and we were in college, and I was just drawn upon her and I had to make my way to somehow sit next to her and then eventually try to get her number, which I eventually did.
Speaker 6: But we're always opposite, like he said, So I was sitting in the front row, he was in the back row, but we instantly had a connection and a chemistry.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I like club music and she likes country. So it's kind of, you know, we have to make it work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have very different music interests as well. I love yacht rock and he loves anything else.
Speaker 3: Okay, very cool, love that it can still work. That is one difference that actually is surmountable. I would say, yes, Okay, who said I love you first?
Speaker 4: It was probably me. It was definitely me. I'm a cancer. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I'm not afraid to show some of my cards. And she was definitely, I think, my college sweetheart, not that I think, but I know you were my college sweetheart. And then when we had broken up around my Jersey Shore discovery face, I was always longing for, you know, our connection, which we eventually got back together years later.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: I think that's been consistent. It's mostly the guys who end up saying I love you first, and most of the conversations we've had with the couples, that's been consistent. How long give us your timeline line here? How long did you date before you got engaged? How long were you engaged before you got married?
Speaker 4: Oh? Wow, wow, do you want to answer a lot of people get confused with our story. Oh my god, you guys were together, you know, your whole Jersey Shore days. You know, it's like no, no, no, So.
Speaker 6: We were together for about three years the first time around college, and that was in college, that was pre Jersey Shore. That was like two thousand and four, five to eight, and then he coincidentally went to rehab his first time two thousand and eight got out of rehab, went right into filming Jersey Shore, so we were not together all of that time Jersey Shore started finished.
Speaker 4: We got back together in twy thirteen.
Speaker 5: May of twenty thirteen, and.
Speaker 4: Then we got engaged Valentine's eighteen year.
Speaker 1: Oh Valentine's Day.
Speaker 5: I'd say twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then we got married the following year.
Speaker 5: We know that year. We got married November.
Speaker 4: First, that fall, Yeah, a couple of months later.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we were ready. We knew I think we always knew we were each other's person. Yeah, but we needed to like have our life figured out. Yep, you know, we were kind of going through a lot of different things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all for those years. All the relationship is definitely very battle tested. We've been through a lot of things together, and we definitely draw upon that a lot of the times because you you can also be grateful and sort of understand the big picture and step back that we have so much history together and obviously the chemistry as well as the relationship is very passionate as well.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: So you had three years initially then another five years before you actually got engaged, So yeah, that's that's a remarkable timeline and the fact that you went and made it through all of those years is a testament to where you are today.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, we got married in two thousand and eighteen. Yeah, and then a couple months later they had I had went to prison for almost a year, and so our first year of marriage, I was inside technically, And you know, a relationship really has to be strong to go through something like that, where the first year of marriage I was in prison, you know, paying my debt to society and trying to write my redemption story.
Speaker 6: Every Friday night we had our date night. I would drive to visit him and I went just we would hang out, we would play scrabble, Yeah, we would eat, we would just talk for hours.
Speaker 5: And it was every Friday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were so excited. I was so excited to get snacks out of the vending machine. So let's tell you how how simple things had gotten at one particular point. But we always had love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm gonna because of that answer, I'm going to skip ahead to another question. We have a little farther down the list, but it is what has your or what was your first year of marriage?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Now you all have already described some of the practical stuff that was going on, but also and you all describe just emotionally from a family logistics standpoint, from dealing with other family members. I mean, it couldn't have been all sunshine and rainbows, not all.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was super positive. My wife would take the three or three and a half hour drive, and I had to be positive for my wife. I had to be a leader to let her know that, listen, everything's going to be okay at the end of the day. And she she was obviously upset. You know, a lot of the times, you know, that particular time here was definitely uncertainty, but also it was a means to an end, you know what I mean. I was sentenced for, you know, eight months of prison time to pay my debt to society, and once that was over, we can start to have not a happy ending, but a happy beginning. And that's kind of that was our mindset at the time. So we really enjoyed our time whenever it was, wherever it was, and we were grateful, We were grateful for each other, and that we were going to do whatever it took to get out of, you know, that hole that we were in and eventually start a family, which we did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we.
Speaker 6: Were from my perspective, just like he said, we were so relieved that all that legal stuff was behind us because he had started on that legal journey in twenty thirteen, the year we got back together. It was that fall that all of that started. So it took five years to get a resolution from that.
Speaker 4: And a million dollars worth of legal fees. Yes, so it was definitely a legal odyssey and it was very emotionally dreaming for all of us.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we were so happy to get married and so happy and ready to move forward in our personal life and just start a family and work towards that in our future. So that first year was definitely challenging, but I think that it was it helped us really continue to solidify our foundation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we had gone through some tougher times than that, which we were very we stay at faith and we're very faithful couple. You know. I feel that you know, everything that you go through God prepares you for. And I had went through addiction a few years before that. I'm now, you know, ten years, but at that particular time, I was, let's just say around the court case. I was what three two or three.
Speaker 6: Well, by the time you went away, you were two years I just also started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so addiction was just so much harder to get through that. So once we got through that and we started to face the court stuff together, you know, I'll be honest with you, it was almost like a muscle, you know what I mean. We we had built up a foundation to continue to fight together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's remarkable.
Speaker 3: I mean what the two of you went through from just dating and a very public situation, addiction and then prison all just to get to your first wedding anniversary. I feel like, what else could happen that you couldn't handle at that point?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. We consider ourselves a very battle tested couple that has gone through the storm. And you know, and and we have turned adversity into our own power, you know. And we had used what was meant to be against us or for your harm, you know, God had you know, turned it for our good. I guess you know what I mean, It propelled us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's remarkable. I love that. So do you all have an age difference at all?
Speaker 5: He is about four years older than me.
Speaker 1: Yep, has that played a role at all in your relationship.
Speaker 6: I think maybe when we were very young, like when I met him and I was nineteen and you were twenty to twenty three. But I know, I think we're pretty close in age, like given the adulthood of our life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my wife just turned forty the other day. It's a big celebration for us. We booked a trip to Sicily in a couple of months. Nice, it was nice. Yeah, yeah, we're very excited.
Speaker 2: Tell us now here. Why did you want to get married? Why was it important to take that step at something some couple's debate, Hey, everything's going fine. Why do we need some document or a piece of paper? Why was it important to be married for you all?
Speaker 4: For me, I just I always as a young man, I always dreamed of being married and having my own family, being raised as in the Italian tradition, family is very important. So for me, I always wanted to get married and have a family, have a big wedding, which we did. We leveraged my employer, MTV, and we did our wedding on TV, which was a massive, beautiful wedding. Even though I was going through all those tough times with the case and spending a million dollars on lawyers, I was still able to strategically leverage my celebrity and my employer, MTV to have this beautiful wedding. So yeah, no, I don't know. I loved our wedding was beautiful, and I do understand the question of a piece of paper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, both of us our values were always aligned no matter what age we were, whether we were nineteen or in our four We both came from large Italian Catholic families raised in New Jersey, and he had he was one of four siblings. I'm one of four siblings. I had three girls, one boy. He had three boys, one girl. Like the family dynamics, So there was just like a lot of similarities there. And for me, it's just that's always been my dream, you know, to find my dream man and get married. And the timing was just the right timing for us in our relationship, and I couldn't wait to marry him. We had parted ways younger when we were younger, and our relationship was something that I always had looked back on that, you know, I always felt like a piece.
Speaker 5: Of me was with him. Yeah, and I think it was a mutual thing.
Speaker 6: But we had to like do our lives separately for a minute, and thank god we did, because if we stayed together would.
Speaker 5: Not have worked.
Speaker 4: You know, there is that phrase, you know, he let the bird out of the cage. If it's meant to be, you know, comes back. If it's not then you know. But when we were dating in college, we used to drive by these homes in home though, and they were just beautiful homes and we would be like, you know what, one day, you know, it'd be great to when we were dating in college, it would be great to settle down and have a family out here. And sure enough, twenty years.
Speaker 3: Later, just not on the timeline you probably thought it would be. That's really cool though for people who have certain expectations, it doesn't necessarily happen when you think it's going to.
Speaker 1: But that's exactly really cool.
Speaker 3: Did your relationship, especially given the ins and out of it, have the support of your friends and your family?
Speaker 4: You know what. I'm sure that you know early on there were some skeptics, you know what I mean. I mean, I'm going to this huge court case United States is versus the situation. Uh, you know, they're trying to penalize me for millions of dollars. I'm sure. And again I don't know if this has happened, but I'm sure her family was worried about that. You know, that's possibly could be in there. But you know, many many years later, it turned out to be a good decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think, if any, the majority of the skeptics were always kind of the fan base maybe or like the outside people that were disconnected or removed from what's really happening. I think that our family and our friends, the people close to us always saw what we had as a connection, including my family. Had there have ever been skeptics, no one ever voiced that within our world.
Speaker 3: You know, that's cool and that's what counts. So it's awesome that y'all were able to separate those two things, because sometimes people get you know, you get sucked into whatever the PubL like images or whatever, and that affects you. But it's awesome that it didn't for you. Okay, So the next question full disclosure. We ask everyone this answer it however you'd like. How would you describe your sex life? Oh?
Speaker 4: Wow, I would say active active? Yeah, no, I'm trying to be articulated.
Speaker 5: Nice, I would I would say healthy.
Speaker 4: Yes, good word. Yeah, that is.
Speaker 2: The safest answer possible. That's good. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 4: Yes. I mean, listen, we have three babies. We have a three year old, a two year old, and a one year old, and she does such an amazing job sleep training the kids. The kids all go go to bed usually six fifteen, six thirty and seven, so around seven o'clock is mom and dad time. And we prioritize that time for mom and dad, you know what, I mean, to have our relationships and to put us our relationship first, you know, and also throughout the week besides sex life, we always try to implement like a date day or date nights where mom and dad go to a restaurant and we dress up, we take pictures, we posted and and just you know, get more time together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, next question here, besides sex, how important is physical touch in your relationship and specifically something as simple as walking down the street holding hands?
Speaker 4: Do you that's good? I think everyone has their own love language. I definitely physical touch is is mind but I think that's very very important. Also, there's other things like acts of service and what's the ones called you like? She likes quality time I like the touch and acts of service, so very mindful of those things. Also, I think what's really important is that both couple get both the man or the women or you know, the two people in the relationship. They get on the path of self improvement, self care, taking care of themselves, trying to look good for your significant other, going to the gym, tanning.
Speaker 1: Laundry, GTL amazing. I love that you just got that in. It's still alive.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yeah. My wife goes to bloodies at least three times a week and I usually go try to go to the gym five times a week. And we're trying to look good for each other, you know what I mean. We're trying to you know, eat healthy, work out, get good sleep, just being good humans. You know, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: So we'll ask about the flip side as well.
Speaker 3: How often do you fight and is there something you fight about most?
Speaker 4: We don't fight a lot. I feel like we're we're rare, rare breed. We don't fight much. If I put it on like a scale of like the whole year, it's like we don't fight ninety five percent of the time, so and a whole year, it's very small there's like one here, one there. I'm trying to think what we fight about the most. I don't even know some you know, we don't have big fights, so it's more so it's probably if you put down to it, it's probably comes down to, you know, miscommunication sometimes probably, and then also just humans have emotions, and those emotions can be tricky sometimes and you don't know, you know, what type of day your sweetheart is having, and you know, sometimes you gotta get context.
Speaker 6: I think that any argument in our relationship has happened is almost always a miscommunication where we're truly speaking different languages. I mean, get our guard down and explain early, like what meant by whatever you were saying. Yeah, And it also only happens if, like we're really busy and we're.
Speaker 5: Not making time for us.
Speaker 6: I always recognized that, So it's always a sign that we need to slow down whatever we're doing and get back into our routine for us.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, lord, I am dying inside because this happened to us today. You describe the exact thing we did. We were caught up busy in the midst of doing something else. We're trying to communicate. She finally said, TJ. We're talking about two different things. Like literally we're talking about like just pump the brakes for a second. That is hilarious. All right, So when was the last time next question here, either of you remembered you had to say I'm sorry to the other.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's important to say anytime. If if you said to me, give me some advice to any couple, I would say to be the first to apologize in a fight, you know what I mean, At the end of the day, it's really not that, it's not really that worth it, you know. So I think I think we both take turns, you know, because we practice what we preach in our family, and we both take turns, Like she's gonna say I'm sorry, and then I'm gonna say, you know, I'm sorry. You know what I'm saying. It's really not that big of a deal. You always revert back to, you know, we have this really special love and we have such history together, and it's really not that big of a deal. So you just got to take a step back, take a take a breathe, and realize, like what's happening. A lot of times, like she just said, you're speaking different languages and it's okay. Sometimes you know it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, Lauren, you remember a time that you had to say I'm sorry or a recent time, well, the last time you had to say I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I think I often say I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I'm a mom of three small beats, so I'm often overstimulated, overwhelmed, you know, a lot of just crying with the babies all the time. So oftentimes, like I'll be like, you know what, I'm sorry. I was distracted with them or in the moment with them, I couldn't give attention to what we were talking about, what you were asking me.
Speaker 5: So I feel like.
Speaker 6: I'm often doing that, and I'm I'm happy to do that because I'm also raising these children and I want them to see open lines of communication where you know, if you don't react the way that you planned or intended to, it's like you need to go back and repair that relationship.
Speaker 5: You don't just blaze over it.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: Not as good advice, that's amazing good advice.
Speaker 3: You know how when we look back, I think the way we were raised, you know, it's parents had to be strong, right, they're authoritarian, and apology or saying you were sorry was weak or somehow seating that authority. But it's so interesting when you actually have a parent apologizing. It teaches you that it's okay to apologize. It isn't weak, it's actually really strong to do that.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're definitely big on accountability in this family. You know, if you're mad, if you're I guess wrong in some way, it's not a big deal. You know, we're human, you know, we're imperfect human, So it's okay to be like, hey, I made a mistake, I'm sorry, I was tired, I was angry. You know, my emotions got the best of me. Let's talk this out, you.
Speaker 2: Know, all right, all right, next question here. People feel strongly about this one way or another. But do you all go to bed angry?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I would say rarely. I would say, I don't like I do ninety seven percentile.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, but you make it a point to not go to bed angry.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yes I.
Speaker 3: Do.
Speaker 4: Percentiles because as a family and a couple, is very rare that we fight, and if we do, that's why I put the percentile on there, because it's like up in the ninety something percentiles, that's awesome, But it does happen. You know, it does happen.
Speaker 1: Every now and then.
Speaker 3: Rare real off period isn't a bad thing. What do you each love most about the other? Whoever wants to go first.
Speaker 4: I love how my wife is. She is strong, she's assertive, she's beautiful, and she's the rock to this family. She straightened me out. I mean god, I mean she's the one that straightened the situation out. She saved my life. So I'm I'm forever grateful that I have this beautiful woman by my side.
Speaker 5: I would say.
Speaker 6: Mike's strength, his resilience to overcome anything and everything, which I've always seen inside of him and it just took him a little bit longer to find it on his own. But really just how he's our sturdy leader of our family. I never, under any circumstances that we've gone through in the past or that we will go through in the future. I never worry about where we're going because he's our captain, Like I always know that he is going to protect us and he's going to make sure that we're solid in any environment.
Speaker 2: I love this all right. Next question, here's a practical one that every couple deals with how do you all handle finances? Is all shared account family or are their separate accounts?
Speaker 4: Oh? Wow, Well that's because I had some issues with finances early on in my career. I let my wife handle everything. Okay, there is total there is total trust there with my wife. Everything is you know, fifty to fifty. And another fun fact was I haven't stepped in a bank in eleven years. I've not stepped in a bank because when I was going through my case, one of the key uh, I guess what was it? The witnesses.
Speaker 5: Uh was one of the only one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the only witnesses they had against me was they said, I came into the bank with a big bag of money, and anything that's over ten thousand dollars you got to fill out a form. Now I got nervous because I didn't know, and I think you were very high and I probably was also very high, and I was nervous. I said, give me back my money and here's nine nine hundred. I'll come back at another time, and they use that against me. So I don't step put in the bank now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, I mean that's a pretty good reason. That's yeah, So I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love. My wife handles all the finances. There's total trust there. Everything is fifty to fifty and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Okay, how about household chores, Like we're talking who cooks, who cleans, who does the laundry?
Speaker 4: Oh? Good, good question. I think that is cooking? Is my wife? Cleaning is like fifty to fifty because once I come home from work at five o'clock, from five to seven, I clean and I help put the kids to bed. Yeah so uh. And then seasonal duties and things like that around the house the man does. So I handle everything from you know, sprinklers to opening the pool to the lawn, any additions to the home like they put they put up a fence recently, just making sure that I handle all those duties. And she pretty much handles the kids, the caretaking, the food, grocery shopping. And then I come in almost like a picture at the end of the game, to help. I'm the closer. Yeah, and she my wife's like been with the kids all day and she's tired. I'm in a five and I'm the closure and I clean up and I put the help put the kids to bed, and then clean the house to make sure it's ready for the next day.
Speaker 6: It's very collaborative and I'm very grateful because it took you know, we have starting your family and growing.
Speaker 5: You have to find your groove.
Speaker 6: So we're definitely in a very good routine now where we both do our share because it's a lot maintaining the household of five.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: Yes, the one thing you didn't mention. We're just curious about is laundry.
Speaker 4: Laundry, Oh, laundry. She does the kid's laundry, the kids laundry. She does the kid's laundry, and I get ours, uh taking out to make it easier on my life, and I take that out so so to make it easier for mom. She handles the kids laundry, which is you know, is doable. But then I get my laundry in her law and dry cleaning, and I handled that and I take it to wash and fold and I do try clean.
Speaker 1: We're laughing because this has been the stickler.
Speaker 7: It's hilarious, Like this is the question were compatible of all couples that all of them have started to like turn on each other when it came to talking about laundry.
Speaker 1: But Mike, I think you've figured it out.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm telling you that is a very big it's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 4: We started to do it because we had so many babies so quickly. We have babies back to back to back, so as not a present, but I wanted to take certain a load off of my wife to make it easier for her. And the laundry definitely piles up, so I'm like, okay, fine, so we wash and fold and I get ours dry cleaned, and be honest with Jude, has been like my secret weapon.
Speaker 2: It is it is that is really really cool. Again, I mentioned tease at the top, but this is the one thing laundry that has been the most interesting answer we get from everybody. All right, next question here, how much time do you all find you need, if any apart just a little time, a little break from each other over time.
Speaker 4: It's over a period of time of of a year, it's ninety eight percent. Probably we're never really apart. I work a lot, but I'm away, but when I'm home, Yeah, there's it's really not like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're one of those couples, which it doesn't work for everybody, but we are each other's best friend first, and I think that's why we love spending that much time together, because while we can be intimate and passionate and have that part of our relationship, we also are truly interested in like our everything, like everything about each other. We're just kind of about each other's best friend. And I really don't like time apart. We miss each other quickly.
Speaker 4: But also it's important to note to note that, know, my wife, she goes to her pilates classes, she gets her nails done, her hair done, you know, throughout the day, and I'm pretty much, you know, also doing some of those things as well. And then we come back to home, you know, with our kids and our family, and I don't know why we would be a part at that point, but you know, some.
Speaker 5: People do in space, but we are with each other a lot, like Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen, if I want to watch a movie in the living room and she's in the family room, I don't count that, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Have you guys ever gone to couples therapy?
Speaker 6: No, actually, couples each done therapy like individually, but not couples.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've done various forms of therapy over the years, but not couples. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, next question, here. Have you ever threatened to break up, leave, or even get divorced in the middle of a heated argument.
Speaker 6: Oh no, that's good, that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: That is amazing. You know.
Speaker 4: That's like on the in the book of What You're Not. You just can't go there. You just cannot ever go there. And if you think you're going to go there, go take a shower, go take a walk. If you say something that you don't mean, sometimes some of those hurtful words can come back to haunt you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, successful couple seem to know the answer to that question immediately.
Speaker 1: Really really interesting.
Speaker 3: We'll switch it up and ask each of you what's the sweetest thing the other has done for you?
Speaker 4: Well, my wife, I mean listen, she used to drive three and a half hour to spem in prison. Okay, so that's one way. So we're talking seven hours to see me in prison on a weekly basis. I mean, just her taking a chance on me was probably the sweetest thing that anyone can do, you know what I mean. I was going through so much trouble, and I was going through addiction and again this woman saved my life. So you know, she's my true love. You know, so she has my heart. So I think I listen, I can't think of anything sweeter than that. I mean, you used to drive three and a half hours each each way. It's seven hours. That's crazy. Yeah, yeah, to visit your felon of a husband in for instance.
Speaker 6: So I think that for me it changed. It has changed over the years because so much has changed with us. But I used to always like to reminisce on our engagement because it was on Valentine's Day and it was during a very chaotic period of our life, and he just made sure to make all of my dreams come true. And he made note of all of these little things that I had said over the time that we were back together in those five years, and all the things that I envisioned, and including down to our wedding, like really making sure all of those things happened, and amidst all the legal stuff and like the recovery stuff and everything else that was already on his shoulders. For him to make sure that these little things were made to happen to make my dreams come true was very sweet. And I think that he's kind of carried that over into when we have our kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I do that on a daily basis.
Speaker 5: I just, yeah, just cute little thing.
Speaker 4: I text my wife every day at eleven eleven the heart eleven and then eleven, and then I love you every day at eleven eleven.
Speaker 1: That's really sweet.
Speaker 4: Way because I'm like, I don't know if that's superstitious or what, but eleven eleven and if it's eleven twelve, but it don't count. It's got to be eleven.
Speaker 1: Eleven any time zone, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I listen. I catch her usually eleven eleven. I never thought about it if I was in Cali and she was in But for the most part, it's been working.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I do the eleven, then eleven, then another heart and then I love you and I all try to make it fit before it turns eleven twelve.
Speaker 1: Really cute.
Speaker 2: We had a good story going, are you.
Speaker 3: Some times I was thinking I went to like a place like what happens when you travel and you.
Speaker 4: Are and now I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to accommodate that. When I am in l A. I have to be like, Okay, eleven eleven is.
Speaker 1: Eight eleven is what?
Speaker 4: Eight?
Speaker 1: Eight eleven?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Eight eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and above.
Speaker 4: And beyond another time zone, you know, like, all right, you're doing calculations in your brain. All right, it's eight eleven. Now I got a minute to get in.
Speaker 2: All right, last few week got for you here. I don't want to use the word warn, but if it applies, let it. But what would you warn or make sure you told another couple to consider before marriage?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Wow, I'll start it. I would say your values on raising children.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're so right.
Speaker 6: You're so right children Because some people, I think you might not always have that conversation and get married, and then one person might think you know kids and no kids or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: So I think though, I think it's always important to have a conversation about family and values.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was the question? Sure?
Speaker 3: What would you what would you tell a couple who was considering marriage, What would you warn them about or ask them to consider before actually getting married?
Speaker 4: I think, I mean, I think I do this a lot. I always say, like, communication is key, be the first one to apologize. And I also say, have the couple get on the path of self improvement, whether mentally, physically, spiritually, personally, or professionally. You just have their own goals and then they come together together usual I say that.
Speaker 1: Yep, I love that.
Speaker 3: So everyone always focuses on, oh, you're in the honeymoon phase.
Speaker 1: How long did your honeymoon phase last?
Speaker 3: And what would you just describe the phase you're in now? Oh?
Speaker 4: Wow? You know what I'm going to say that that I don't really put us in like a box, you know what I mean? As in, you just described like a hunt emon phase. I mean, you know, so I wouldn't even like put us in a in a box right there, as as it relates to who's to say we're not always in the honeymoon phase? You know what I'm saying? You just don't. I don't know, you know. I mean, I'm We're always happy, and I feel like we've been through so much that we are so grateful for each other that like again, we are just so happy that we have each other, our beautiful kids, the life that we worked so hard for. So every single day we are making positive decisions to build upon that two for for us and our children. So it's almost like.
Speaker 5: Like a solid box.
Speaker 6: Like it's like the honeymoon phase turns into the solid box and it's both together.
Speaker 5: It's almost like it should be like the old I feel.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's almost like we're working on our happily every after type of box. What I mean, like every single day we're bold, like I'm devoted to my wife and my children, and every decision I make is for the betterment of us and our family. And the same applies to my wife in every area of life. So you know, and there's so many areas of life you know that you can and there's mentally, physically, spiritually, personally, professionally negativity we kick aside. So I think the box that we're working on is the happily ever after box.
Speaker 1: You're in your happily ever after face. That's really cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last one here is obvious. It's to be expected. It's a little cliche, but it has to be asked because anytime you come across a successful couple, everybody that's in a relationship ask the couple this question, what's the key?
Speaker 1: What's the secret.
Speaker 2: To relationship success? So if somebody came up, yes, you all don't have twenty thirty, forty fifty years of a marriage, but you got an that you all could steal, what would you tell somebody who had Hey, man, what is the key the secret marriage success?
Speaker 5: I would say you have to remember mindful.
Speaker 6: You have to be mindful, yes, but I think you have to always remember that you're on the same team and that there's no stronger person rooting for you in life and in your relationship than the person next to you.
Speaker 4: I think the most important two things I'm going to try to simplify it is being grateful. Being grateful attracts more abundance, and being mindful. You know, you could throw being loving in there as well, but those three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so good, and we are writing everyone's advice down because it's so true and you.
Speaker 1: All have lived it. You have walked the walk. You're not just talking to talk, so we really appreciate it. Thank you. It takes a lot to.
Speaker 3: Be open and vulnerable about all the intimate detail tells about your day to day life, the things that people don't necessarily see on cameras. So thank you both for sharing that with us. We really appreciate it. We love getting to know you better.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that everything in life takes work, you know, and and relationships do as well. Successful relationships take work. But I think A good phrase is the grass is only green or wherever you water it, and that lies really.
Speaker 2: Thank you all so much, Mike Lauren. We will see you all plenty down a row and congrats on everything, all right, yes, thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Have a great day.