Speaker 1: Rid the first pick in the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. The Chicago Bears select Haleb William quarterback Tayler Kilifornia Washington Commander select Jayden Daniels quarterback LSU. The New England Patriots select Drake May quarterback North Carolina. We'redney eighth pick in the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. The LANTFL Can select Michael Powell junior.
Speaker 2: Well, there it is.
Speaker 1: Who why The Minnesota Vikings select JJ McCarthy Michigan. The Denver Broncos select Boo Knicks.
Speaker 2: It is quarterback Oregon.
Speaker 3: Six for twelve, six quarterbacks in the first dozen picks.
Speaker 2: To quote Rambo, they're all gone, sir. Prior to tonight.
Speaker 3: Offensive players to start the draft before we saw our first defensive player taken. With the record and we have doubled it fourteen. That record may never be broken. And you'd have to say six quarterbacks in the first twelve picks is something that will never be broken as well.
Speaker 4: Woo from the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's around the NFL. The twenty twenty four NFL Draft is underway and we are through one round and tonight we are here to recap all of the madness, and oh my goodness, was it mid Dan Hans is here, Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler, you heard it there the face Rich Eisen NFL network coverage of the big day from Detroit, where there were two hundred and seventy five thousand people there is that a real number.
Speaker 5: So crazy to believe that they had to stop letting people in an hour before the.
Speaker 4: Draft possible to seventy five anyway, that breaks the all time Day one draft record. That's at yep. Mark here. It was your era of pro wrestling, the old Pontiac Silverdome. They packed ninety three k in for WrestleMania three when Hogan body slammed Andre the Giant.
Speaker 2: I do recall that actual event.
Speaker 4: So Detroit goes big and they did it again, and yeah, six quarterbacks go in the first twelve picks and draft record.
Speaker 2: Seven wide receivers go in the first round.
Speaker 4: The offensive lineman also a heralded group, wiped out in the first round. So and Greg Rosenthal, as you heard fourteen offensive players go off the board before the first defensive players. So, I mean, we talked about these things, and these the way it seemed to be shaping up, but it never goes that extreme.
Speaker 2: So this has been the draft of extremes so far.
Speaker 5: I woke up this morning, I went and I was so excited for this draft in a way, and I thought, like, is this just because the Patriots at you know, have the number three overall pick or it really does seem like the most intriguing jets A lot of juice, like a lot of juice, and then for it to deliver like that yet another record twenty three offensive players in the first and at least speaking for myself, I'm basic when it comes to draft. I'm more interested in the skill position players. Of course, offensive players includes all those tackles coming off the board. But I kept getting flashback, especially when bow Knicks got picked back to twenty eleven, which to me was one of the most exciting drafts. Two thousand and four was another one, and in twenty eleven was the one where I believe five quarterbacks went in the first round. Maybe it was four, and then it was Kaepernick and Dalton and car early in the second two and it was just like six quarterbacks very early. This was like that except on mescalin or something. With bo Knicks going twelve and it going that fast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean to have six go and the Raiders, for instance, not be a team that takes one of them. It speaks the fact that a lot of teams had deep quarterback needs and like, I like, it's there's risk there for sure, But I would look at this like this, the fourteen consecutive players that threw me like on offense because I thought at some point you're gonna get your Dallas Turner or Verse or someone in there.
Speaker 2: But nothing. I don't find the rest of it that surprising.
Speaker 6: For like a month plus two months, we've been talking about like huge amount of quarterbacks go, best wide receiver class we've seen in ages and a great tackle class, our offensive line class.
Speaker 5: It's where they go, and it's the after shocks. And in the place everyone thought defense was gonna go was Atlanta.
Speaker 2: I know we're going to get.
Speaker 5: To all the picks, but it is these little after shocks that needs the little reports afterwards, and you mentioned it. I think it was a perfect storm. All these teams and Danna Jeremiah pointed out needed offense and a lot of them needed quarterbacks. Our guy James Palmer reported after the DAFT that Seahawks, Saints, and Raiders were all trying to get up for Pennix. And that's one of the reasons why Atlanta didn't feel like they could move back at all.
Speaker 2: That we had mentioned, yeah.
Speaker 5: That many team teams we're in on quarterbacks weight And he didn't even get it.
Speaker 2: Mark, Mark just say I did.
Speaker 6: It's okay, well, because I'll say we because it's you know, it's just information that was out there.
Speaker 4: I didn't like talk directly. You said, you said it, and then actually he dismissed it. Yes, he dismissed. I don't say I said that, and Greg, you dismissed.
Speaker 2: That's how the show works.
Speaker 4: I said, second, d take your glory lap Mark, remember oh land Zierline, love the guy. He hung up the phone when you suggested Michael Pennox could go early in the first round. I think we should start there. And we're going to get to the top of the first round of the very tippy top which went chalky but still important for obvious reasons. But I think in all my years here with this company, and uh, and that's a while now, I've never been more confounded and stunned by a pick like the Atlanta Falcons, fresh off giving a massive contract to a thirty six year old Kirk Cousins, finally, once and for all addressing the quarterback position that has hexed them since Matt Ryan got old and then left and eventually retired last week. To take Michael Pennox junior eighth overall is an absolute stunner, and it's a stunner to obviously every everyone that yes, I agree Greg, everyone that has been following this process. Obviously the Falcons weren't going to take a quarterback. It makes no sense. I want somebody to make sense of it. To me, is there anyone in this room that could help me and other people? Like many Falcons fans, I presume absolutely Kirk Cousins, because we're already hearing reports that he was really stunned by the news and was made aware of their decision making minutes before it happened.
Speaker 5: Why I have my questions about Michael Pennix As a prospers, I have been trying to lead the take your quarterbacks as much as possible. You can't take quarterbacks too much, too high, too many resources, always defending the Patriots when they would take a second round pick on a backup defending the Packers when they took Jordan Love, which a pick that got made fun of for multiple years by the way after they did it. And this one stunned me because Penix didn't seem like that level of a prospect, but they obviously believe in him. And then you think about the Cousins contract, and here's how it makes sense, Dan, it's a two year contract.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: I think that's it. That it's a two year contract. Penix is being signed for a five year contract. And they said afterwards, they being Raheem Morris, we won't be picking this high with the guy that we have and Kirk Cousins trying to pick up his guy. We don't want to be picking up here anymore. They plan to be a very good team starting right now, and they want to get their quarterback of the future in the building right now. And I don't think it's crazy. First of all, Kirk Cousins is coming off a torn Achilles. That's like a little under the radar.
Speaker 4: Right, four years, one hundred and eighty millions, A two years, one hundred guaranteed two year contract you had, it's all guaranteed, A hundred million dollar guarantee to that man to be your quarterback.
Speaker 5: So but those are it's all in the first two years. They have ten million dollars in the third year, and if he's great, then that's great. Then you have your quarterback solution and you have Kirk Cousins and you have someone by. I don't think it's that crazy, especially when half the picks bust in the top ten anyways, Like people act like it's so crazy to like invest in a pick you might not use when when a lot of the picks don't work.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I do understand, like if you're the nuts, sure, maybe, But and I get that there's a Falcons fan sitting out there thinking we could have taken Roma Dunze, we could have taken the best pass rusher. That's fine, and that's that's not incorrect thinking in terms of how the draft works and how people respond. But Pennix is the perfect guy to slow cook behind Kirk Cousins for a year plus. I don't hate the idea, And if he is what some people think it can be, I think this says a lot about Arthur Blank, who has been in a quarterback wilderness since they annoyed Matt Ryan by chasing after Deshaun Watson and lost Matt Ryan, and it's been an abyss since, and I think it's planning for the future.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 6: When you draft someone in the top ten, people want someone who will start and affect games right away, and I think that's where the disappointment could come from, especially when you're going to track and see how some of these other players perform. But we don't exactly know what Kirk Cousins is at this point, and it is really only a two year situation. And you can point to Patrick Mahomes, you can point to Aaron Rodgers, you can point to Jordan Love as guys that you bring in that sit for a while and then they shine. And I think Pennix is a good candidate to benefit from that.
Speaker 4: Now let's point out those are good examples, but Patrick Mahomes is arguably the greatest quarterback ever. Jordan Love coming off obviously a big year, But in general, this is not something This is not really how the league operates anymore. When you take a quarterback, and especially if you take him this high, he's expected to play, and that doesn't mean he should, and that doesn't mean that's a bad pick. The reason my thinging is if you really love this guy, Michael Pennix, they do, you haveft them, but don't sign Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: Like or sign Kirk Cousins. It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 6: I mean, but like, I think the thing is, the off season happens in waves and in chapters. And yes, you can say these two things shouldn't have happened to the same team in the same offseason. But a year from now, six months from now, if Kirk Cousins is injured, like this looks great, and.
Speaker 2: So you head your bets on Cousins, Well, but you didn't.
Speaker 6: Really the Cousins is a short term veteran solution at quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you that's also have a problem. It's turning twenty four in two weeks. I think that's a good point. So that is also so now like, unless Cousins is a disaster, an injury riddle disaster, which is possible, he's not even touching the field now as he's edging into his late twenties. I just I don't, I just don't. It doesn't make sense to me. And here's the thing. When you do invest we can talk about all this thing, like, it's not a long term signing, but it was a major signing for this organization.
Speaker 2: And when you invest that.
Speaker 4: Much in a player like Cousins, you're expecting him to be there two years at least, and then if he's playing at a high level, maybe beyond that. Okay, And then what you do, like my team the Jets, like you need to with his window that you just opened with Kirk Cousins, you got to build around him right now, and you have a chance to bring in the guy that goes off next off the board, Roma Duneesa, like that would have been a very logical move for them.
Speaker 2: Now does this now does Michael Penick Junior turn into a stud? Maybe? But here's the other thing.
Speaker 4: He is a very raw prospect and it's a total right and why at the very least, Greg my last point of this, then I'll shut up.
Speaker 5: No, I think this could move fascinated move back, Well, I don't think they could base boy he's not there.
Speaker 2: If he's not there, it's not like you're left hold in the bag.
Speaker 4: You still have Kirk Cousins in the building, and this you could take a gambit and say, maybe we can make it work. Out it was overly aggressive, and I think it speaks to a lot organizationally in the last few years.
Speaker 2: I don't think they know what they're doing Ultimately.
Speaker 5: Well, I disagree everyone's saying, oh, this is a ready made I don't think they're there yet. But you're saying you got to hit this window right now. It's like, I want to applaud teams that value the quarterback position correctly. The reason they're making all this money is because it's worth so much more than the rest. So I don't think you can invest too much in the position. And the idea that like, we want to set our franchise up for eight years, for ten years to be good at the moment that her cousins inevitably starts to decline. He's not going to be a great player at thirty eight. He might not be a great player this year at thirty six. That's another conversation. And so you try to set up a situation. And Rahiem Morris said it. He said, we took note of the Green Bay model. So they they were looking at that. It does make you wonder and you were talking about I did.
Speaker 2: It's a different situation.
Speaker 4: Greg Aaron Rodgers is a franchise legend that was there forever sure, whereas.
Speaker 2: Kirk Cousins, so they sought out two months.
Speaker 5: The point is, though I don't think it's crazy, and I know the Patriots didn't use a first round pick, but he was multiple seconds to back up Brady, Like the position is just so valuable that you almost can't spend too many resources on it. I have some issues just with Penix as a prospect. Seems very divisive, not incredibly accurate, like a great arm and old school quarterback, kind of like Kirk Cousins is in a way, but more like a Joe Flacco type of.
Speaker 2: Model that was Daniel Jeremiah's comfort.
Speaker 5: And I totally see that when you watch him, like he gets super hot, he's a big time arm he's a pocket passer. Is he is he gonna be the player? I don't know, but the process I kind of like it. And you mentioned the age. A couple of people hit me up on Twitter with that too. It's like, well, but you're thinking about the next seven years. What's wrong with a quarterback coming in when he's twenty six years old, Like you're thinking about a guy that's gonna try to last for a while. And I actually like the Atlanta Falcons thinking long term, thinking a little differently process wise. I just hope Pennix is a good enough player to make them look right.
Speaker 4: You also need him to hit the ground running like Jordan Love so like wait, but.
Speaker 2: That has to be a polished player when he gets there or wait.
Speaker 5: Love was as raw as it gets and he looked right totally.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, ready for multiple you need him.
Speaker 4: That's hard to do what the Packers have done, and they've proven it now over twenty five years. They know how to do this. The Falcons saying we want to be like the Packers of this. You need Penix not only now to likely sit for two years. When he enters the friend he needs immediately be a difference maker. And if he's not, if it takes him a couple of years, guess what, his rookie deal's almost over. Well.
Speaker 6: And it's also like you know, sixty five percent of other draft picks in the first round that don't work. I mean, it's like, I don't have a problem with this, and this is another outlier scenario, but it reminds me a little bit of when the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman, and you know, terrible first season team was terrible. The next year they go out, Jimmy Johnson turns around and drafts Steve Walsh, his former college quarterback. Totally agitated Troy Aikman, who is his guy, Roddy Johnson's guy. He wanted was to win that game, right. But then they turn around and they had two quarterbacks. Troy Aikman's developing, the team's getting better. They turn around and traded Steve Walsh, who really never did anything as a pro for a lot. I'm just saying, that's another thing you could do at some point. His move Michael Pennix. It's just a possibility. Move Kirk Cousins or move Kirk Cousins. But there's one other thing about this version of the Falcons that I like is that no one knew this was coming.
Speaker 2: There's no leaks inside building. I mean, we knew there was reporting.
Speaker 6: They liked Penix a lot, we've known that, but no one saw this coming number one.
Speaker 2: Not a single Soul rap sheet had it in the hour before the draft.
Speaker 5: Give credit to him, he didn't say it was definitely happening, but he pretty much threw it out there, like, don't be surprised if Penix goes to the Falcons, so right before the draft, and that was the first I had heard even one person mentioned the stunning. The problem is though, though they are human beings here, and you mentioned the Cousins part of it. So our guy rap sheet reported, you know, he got a call like while the Falcons were on the clock to let him know. But you know, DJ and then also the athletics that I never seen it, you know, kind of mentioned like the agent. Yeah, it was a surprise coming into tonight. Cousins had no idea. I think they used the word stunned. And these are two people, and Cousins especially that are going to have to go and work together. Cousins is coming off an injury, so I don't know if he's gonna be He's not gonna be ready to be on the field right now, like when they go to OTA is in a couple weeks, it's going to be Pedix with the starting now will.
Speaker 4: Be his moment for the you know, the next couple of years. He'll have that OTA in the spring of Dude.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a little awkward because you you did mention like if he got to be ready. The funny thing about Penix is he should be about as ready as anyone he's played. He started forty eight games over five seasons.
Speaker 2: But he's not ready for him. But what I'm saying is you've got a guy that's playing, ready to play, that's not going to play. I'm saying he might. I think it's been a little.
Speaker 6: Who's crying for Taylor Heinecke Greg Taylor Heineke like who took a hometown discount to stay with the Falcons? Is you know, take the next bus next, gray hump, bustle.
Speaker 2: We got to move on.
Speaker 6: But you two are not going to You're never going to agree Dan, You're not going to agree with Greg, And it's not so I don't.
Speaker 5: But I just want to point out that no one's kind of brought up the fact that why are we assuming Kirk Cousins is ready for Week one at thirty six years old coming out of torn achilles.
Speaker 2: It's like the human body, And.
Speaker 4: I would say the in recent years players that have that injury are ready.
Speaker 2: Now he could have a setback or whatever.
Speaker 6: And well they didn't get that money thinking he's not going to be many too.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying maybe.
Speaker 4: There's something we don't know about Cousins, and maybe he had a setback. Maybe there's something more to the story. But my last point is I don't think Cousins obviously isn't happy. I don't think Michael Penox is happy either. He's happy he's a first round pick, but he went somewhere he's not gonna play.
Speaker 2: That's not great either.
Speaker 4: And if you'd see him when he picks up the phone, you could see in his mind he's like, wait, what's going on. His agent probably was like, all right, you're going to the team that just signed a guy for one hundred million guaranteed over the next two years. But it's cool, you're a top ten pick. Like it's a bittersweet moment I would imagine for Michael Penis Junior.
Speaker 6: Sure from one other angle though, from like a more cutthroat angle, like there are people that were mocking him to the second round.
Speaker 2: He's getting top eight. No, that's great, So that's great.
Speaker 6: And honestly, like if he does a Jordan love thing where you know, a couple of seasons from now, he comes in and shines like he gets his fifth year option picked up too, there's less bad tape or raw tape potentially to learn behind cousins.
Speaker 5: Right, I am a little worried about him, although Jordan Love was a tricky prospect a surprising pick too, and that worked out when last my last thing is just the video of Terry Fontana talking to Arthur Blank in their war room was a fascinating video. I really want to know. It really sounded like he was trying to like explain the pick. Because when this pick happened, I was like, is this ownership because we've heard how Blank wants his guy his quarterback, and I was like, is ownership kind of making them take a quarterback of the future, like based on what we've heard over over the last few years, like you know Arthur Blank could be involved. But then this image of Fontan though almost like going through and explaining and then he was like moving it down. It was almost like he was to me, if I had to guess, was explaining, like why we couldn't trade back to maybe take panics Arthur Blank.
Speaker 4: In nineteen forty two. I would imagine he, you know, he's a guy that's looking for some results this year, and yes, the player that they added this year, probably can't help them this year.
Speaker 2: So wild all right. So that's like the big crazy story that came out of the day.
Speaker 4: But and we told you about the overall numbers and the bulk of certain positions. Let's start at the top of the draft, and so it's Caleb Williams as expected to the Bears, Jaden Daniels as expected to the Commanders, Drake may as expected to the Patriots. A takeaway, let's check out, by the way, Caleb Williams. And good job by our company, which has blown this draft thing up into things that I can't even wrap my head around as someone that used to go to Radio City Music Hall sure years ago. What it is now compared to what it was then, it's absurd. So now all the guys run down there.
Speaker 2: I don't think they want you to use the word absurd, but you can in a positive that's a positive absurd.
Speaker 4: There's a twenty five yard runway with a matching color scheme for the player, and then they get their hat and their jersey.
Speaker 2: It's the whole thing.
Speaker 4: It's it's made for television, like the halftime show for the Super Bowl. Here's Caleb Williams and check this out on YouTube if you haven't seen it. Speed walking down and then letting out a big old Rick flair.
Speaker 3: He's about to put a Bear's hat on and introduce himself to the world and head to Michigan Avenue.
Speaker 2: He might not have ran aup Fort in Indy, but he's running one here. I mean, he is flying up there. He's excited to get this journey started.
Speaker 4: He really sold me both the way he came out there, the way he spoke in his interviews.
Speaker 2: Just seems like a dude. Yeah.
Speaker 5: He also had that how he finished his interview with Kaylee Hartong making her NFL Network debut the Bears.
Speaker 2: That was how he finished that. Yeah. I loved that.
Speaker 5: And we don't have to spend a ton of time, I know, but I man, we just haven't talked that much about Caleb Williams and when we say like he can make every throw, like I mean like every throw. And I heard Ollie Connelly talk about it on his podcast and I thought it was really smart the way he put it that, like one drive he can kind of look like Mahomes and then the next drive he can kind of look like Manning. And then you watch how he navigates in the pocket and that reminds you of the very best people in terms of inside the pocket. And he has the experience with the RPO and he has the quick release. He just feels like he has every single club in the bag and he kind of brings out different things based on what he needs. And it's just I'm I am very excited to watch me some caleable and he's just so accurate. He's the most accurate guy in the last year. So it's like no prospect is perfect or whatever, but I am so excited to watch this dude. It's gonna be a value add for the league. I think we saw that with his personality, and I'm excited that I get to watch him with Roma Doonzay.
Speaker 6: Well and he's you know, it's what an incredible introduction from an NFC North standpoint. He's coming out there and he's booed lustily by Lions fans who have packed the place. He doesn't seem to care at all, and it's like you have to go back to nineteen forty seven and Bob Fenimore, the Blonde Bomber, the last time that the Bears picked a quarterback first.
Speaker 2: Overall that's crazy.
Speaker 6: That's there's no team coming close to that stuff, I would imagine, and I do think it matters that on USC there's a lot of like ballyhooed USC stuff. When they brought in the new coach, it's like they were one hundred and twenty third in scoring defense. So he was under the gun to fire the ball down field over and over. I think as a deep passer, he's incredible that Bears haven't had someone like this in eons. It's like they feel like outside Fields had that one nice season, but it's like this is a team that kind of even when they went to the Super Bowl against the Colts, it's like always minus the star quarterback.
Speaker 4: And I think it's a completely new organization at this point because and I think, you know, I was at the end of last season. I still think Justin Fields has a chance to have a really good career, and we'll see what happens in Pittsburgh or wherever he ends up being potentially as a long term solution for somebody. But when you see a player like this and you start to really dig in on his background and you see the way he came out there, it's like, Okay, this guy is someone that you're you hit the reset with him, and then you pair him, like we said, with the number nine pick after the Falcons stun the world and take a quarterback. That leaves this great prospect Roma Dunza, who some people say, you know, Marvin Harrison who goes forth to the Cardinals. We'll get you in a second. He was the kind of clear cut number one guy. But people think that a Dunsee could be an absolute superstar. And now you got DJ Moore across from him, and you have what Bryce Young for example, did not have last year, which is a real supporting cast around him. So the Bears suddenly go from one of the most boring teams to watch over the last ten years or so, they are going to be kind of musty TV, at least in the beginning of the season.
Speaker 6: It happened quickly, and it's like the only thing I think they've got to focus on more offensive line help. They had the highest pressure rate in the league last year, so it's like that's one We saw fields getting destroyed by that over and over and it's like, that's not a wonderful thing for Caleb Williams. But they have done a lot in two off seasons, and that trade last offseason with the Panthers looks better and better and better by the minute.
Speaker 5: Right, they got very fortunate that the Panthers ended up being the worst team in the league like that. That They probably didn't think the Panthers were going to be good. So they were taking a shot and you're rolling.
Speaker 2: They nailed it. They're holding everything about it. You're hoping for the best.
Speaker 5: But they got, like, you know, one of the best quarterback prospects we've seen in a long time. And now Keenan Allen can play inside, by the way too, It's like, of course the Dunes then can move inside some pool and keen Allen can play outside the sid of course they're going to be flexible, but Alan is now at his best inside.
Speaker 2: You have come met there. DeAndre Swift was a nice pick up.
Speaker 5: They absolutely are going to see that over under, which was an eight and a half. I believe, like, I mean, that's just gonna with the Dunes. I just feel like that's going to keep.
Speaker 2: That division is has turned semi psychotic, all right. The Commanders, they do indeed take Jayden Daniels.
Speaker 4: Don't believe anything about them moving out of that pick, they take Daniels, so he is the future for Washington and then Greg.
Speaker 2: We could talk about both these players.
Speaker 4: But Drake May then goes to the Patriots, who apparently there was a report out there.
Speaker 2: It is an interesting report. Do you see this report?
Speaker 4: It was the Patriots and Vikings reached out to the Chargers about Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: It cannot I loved, I loved. Yeah, it cannot hurt.
Speaker 4: This is from Adam Schefter, by the way, to kick the tires on that one. And just because Jim Harbaugh nuts, so you just like kick the tires, call the crazy guy and.
Speaker 2: Just see what he's what's going on with him?
Speaker 4: And and they were rebuffed obviously, and then they go back and they say, Okay, we're cool with this, dude.
Speaker 2: What do you think about this? Dude? You how excited are you? I am? Greg?
Speaker 5: I am ay ten. This is what I was hoping for. I love this Patriots, that Drake maywould fall to them. I didn't think it was gonna happen on Christmas Eve when they beat the Broncos in that weird game, and I was enjoying the game. You know, it's a lonely Christmas for me, and it's like the Patriots brought a little joy. I was like, it's worth it, but they're not gonna get Drake me now. And for Jade Daniels to become this consensus number two pick, and going into today, I was just worried they were gonna get too cute and trade down. It's like, when are you gonna have a legit, superstar potential quarterback sitting there?
Speaker 2: Hopefully you're not drafting that high.
Speaker 5: And when I watch him, he is just box office and he is an incredible runner. It wouldn't surprise me of all these guys who can all run well, if he has the most rushing value, if he's kind of a Jalen Hurts type of player early in his career, you can build a decent amount of the offense about his running and his deep passing, and that, to me is just an exciting offense. I'm glad it sounded like they never even considered it. You could tell Gared Mayo is totally different because he basically told the Patriots draft party an hour and a half before the draft, we're not trading the pick. We're just gonna you know, don't don't worry we're gonna make our pick early and.
Speaker 2: You're gonna like it. He's a great player.
Speaker 5: And it's like, Okay, I guess they're taking Drake May. They already were saying like that, they forget about the trade. We're not thinking about it.
Speaker 2: He's fascinating.
Speaker 6: He is someone that I think is going to be an immediate like fan favorite for his physical nature, play, what he can do on the ground. I mean, there is some there has been concern about like the little things that he's got to grow at and some of his like accuracy on passes that like he does these incredible things, but then he's like, wait a minute, what happened right there. It's almost like there is an aversion of like you want to see the way that Josh Allen grew in certain little ways when people would, you know, kind of were ready to throw Josh Allen out the window, like he improved, but he improved as a pro and that's but that's unusual, that's atypical, and so Drake May needs to do this have a similar growth pattern for certain elements of his game.
Speaker 2: But it's like this is like a whole new day for the PAVI.
Speaker 5: I don't see him as raw though as out like. I don't think he's as raw as everyone said. I think he did a lot of next level stuff. He was just in a brutal situation. He's about to be again. They they kind of have talked about already that that Jacoby Brissett, I have a feeling will be the weak one starter. We'll see it probably won't last that long. And it was funny you mentioned Josh Allen. I know you want to go Dan, but Bill Belichick was on McAfee and uh, he was quoted saying Drake compares himself a lot to Josh Allen. He's been doing that for quite a while. I haven't seen that a lot of people compare them. Did he Uh, we'll see about that. And then he kind of negged He kind of negged Drake may a little bit, but to be fair, he kind of neagged all the top five picks. That's when I watched the Belichick portion of the McAfee. He it was very different than the portion of the telecast where the audio was working for that the pre gate the pre you know, they had some snaffoos on YouTube and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But uh so I've heard he he.
Speaker 5: Was trying to really calm everyone down really about all the picks and pointing out the negatives, but especially May.
Speaker 4: He seemed to that's a fresh raw. Yeah, I thought the uh what did it?
Speaker 2: Was he freaking out about Panix? Like ever notes?
Speaker 5: I left. I left the that telecast around pick five. Much for me, I was the company man. I was trying to watch both this is too hard, Okay.
Speaker 4: I was just curious if anyone else picked up on the NFL network. Uh, the way they were talking about Drake May is if it was almost a foregone conclusion that he wouldn't start, and that that they were going to bring him along slowly. And that's to what you're saying that I guess he needs polished in the eyes of some But.
Speaker 6: I just that doesn't really happen, like, well, that's like that means week three or week four.
Speaker 4: But Jacoby said, but that's not the way it was being discussed. It wasn't like he's going to start by October first. It kind of was being talked about like this going to bed.
Speaker 6: Saying though, like that's this this that's cool, until like they're zer and two right, I.
Speaker 4: Mean mac, No, but wait a second, we're not going back down the store. Michael Pennox isn't going in the lineup if Kark cousins.
Speaker 6: I know, but I'm saying to your point that Penix is away, to your argument that it's you're not getting someone who's going to help you right away like Drake May, is completely different if they're in. If they're right there water, Drake May is going to be in the lineup by halftime a week one, potentially. I don't want to hear this sitting for a year as a starter behind Jacobys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I don't what I mean think Mac Jones played a lot as a rookie, play played pretty well, Like I don't.
Speaker 2: It is rookie.
Speaker 5: If they're if they're good enough coaching staff like he will be playing. There's there's no reason to be.
Speaker 4: That that pay it no mind what people say about rookies waiting on the bench, and almost all cases they end up playing very quickly. Now Marvin Harrison Junior yes goes to the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: For overall, a lot of discussion about them moving back and letting a QB needy team trade up. They obviously did not have either the interest to make that move or they didn't get an offer that they liked, so they sit home, and this is something I thought they should have done all along.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought it was the right move.
Speaker 4: You get yourself a potential superstar wide receiver pairing with Kyler Murray, who, despite being under contract for big money, is coming back for his first full season after ACL and you just got to like find out if this is truly gonna work. Now you give him an absolute stud to play with.
Speaker 6: There is value if they were if they were you know, you know, treated to a monster deal by the Vikings to do what they talked about being very open to doing. But I think if you're a Cardinals fan who's suffered through many rough seasons, this is basically saying we've gotten our next version of Larry Fitzgerald. And he's not exactly explosive as like a Molik Neighbors. He's different, but he does like everything so well that it's a rare player, where like I think it's a little unfair to him, but it's like, oh, it's a disappointment if he isn't a Hall of Fame wide receiver, like if he'd made two Pro Bowls and was a top ten guy. It's like that's a disappointment, Like the expectations are through the roof, and I think, for once, if you're the Cardinals, this was a need that matches up with arguably the best player in the draft.
Speaker 2: I have no problem with this. I love it.
Speaker 5: I love not getting cute. I don't think they had the option. I don't think they were offered. I mean the McCarthy was never in the class with May and Daniels. I think teams were just seeing which quarterback for sure was going to shake out to three. Reporting on NFL Network was that the Giants and the Vikings both tried to trade up with the Patriots, and they even made a last ditch effort of like raising their offer to trade up with the Patriots, and it's it's safe to assume that's for Drake May. Patriots didn't want to do it. They stayed and picked and once he wasn't available, the Vikings were fine just letting McCarthy fall down the board. Obviously they end up getting him, and the Giants were never going to take him in the first place.
Speaker 4: Apparently right, It tells you how much the Patriots think of Drake May's potential here that they would that could have been a real boon for them to get additional picks at a time where they really need to stock that roster.
Speaker 2: But they love the QB. You take the QB. This is also where my mock draft went into a fiery dumpster or began to.
Speaker 4: And what we're gonna hit that at the end of the show. But yeah, it's a tough thing to do. It's not easy business. Mark you know that. Don't beat yourself up. Joe Alt goes number five to the Chargers, so a little bit, I would say it was a surprise. A lot of people haven't pegged for seven to the Titans.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The Titans were not happy with this because well we don't know it, but they take J. C. Latham from Alabama, also a tackle, but you would think they wanted to have the choice of the two or Alt outright, So you have those two linemen go sandwiched around. Yes, the New York Giants. So the Giants. If Drake may or Jaden Daniels were on the board, that's probably the new quarterback of the New York Giants. But once those three players went off, they stayed home and they took Malik Neighbors. Obviously, Giants fans friends back East that some of them were like, I wish they took roma Dunza. He's a guy that's gotten a little bit more buzz leading up.
Speaker 2: To the draft.
Speaker 4: However, you talk to people, this guy has every opportunity here to become a superstar as well, if put in the right situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the Giants aren't the right situation, not now, I mean they haven't been.
Speaker 2: Maybe they can become that.
Speaker 5: He's another receiver who probably works his best over the middle of the field, which they It feels like that's all they've got is all these different guys, and yet he's like three tiers above.
Speaker 2: He's so explosive.
Speaker 5: I think there were probably more teams that had him over Harrison than even maybe there were teams that had a Dunze over over Neighbors. I think people just fell in love with his explosiveness. And I did like what Harbaugh said about all He's like, people are going to say, like, what what about your weapons?
Speaker 2: Where are your weapons?
Speaker 5: And he said, uh, with the Chargers, like we're gonna look at the offensive line as weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have football remembers.
Speaker 4: Thinking about the five fingers, make a fist with the offensive line. I mean he kind of let it be known from the very start. I love to pick for them.
Speaker 6: They have a Sean Slater too, but they you know, Trey Pipkins is not going to be starting at that point at that position. Joe Alt like the one thing's like, you know a lot of these guys weren't at the draft, but they cut to his house.
Speaker 2: You know, he's almost like like six or eight. He stood up and was like two feet taller than anyone else in the household. Like there was like the thirty people around him. You love it. You love big humans.
Speaker 6: Well, I think actually, like to me, it is it was like some of these teams did not do what we expected, but for the Chargers, who I thought were a trade down to go get Joe allt just like that's a hardball player, that's a Greg Roman type player, and he dominates in the run game.
Speaker 2: He's massive, and it's exactly the set up twenty six. They wont like seven seven.
Speaker 5: So there are almost no comps like to his height and size. Jonathan Ogden is one of them and was one of the greatest players of all time at his position. That there's a there's a few other here and there, but to be that athletic at at six ' nine. It's just like we're seeing this across all sports, like humans are testing the bounds of like what tall, how athletic tall people essentially can be. You see in tennis, you see in basketball. It's just like preposterous, how athletic now, like a six to nine tackle could be.
Speaker 2: Not horse racing, don't see not in horse race.
Speaker 4: No, In fact, you see a lot of bad things happening in horse racing when you push the the animal too far. And in baseball, the game for pictures right now, there's like an epidemic right now with pictures suffering arm injuries because things like spin rate and velocity keeps going up up up, and they're dealing now the sport with like how do we rein this in because the human body can't take it? You know, be careful with these big men, tell let them get too big. We're mere humans, that's all.
Speaker 2: We're mortal. Tell it to Randy Johnson, like tell it to the bird that he hit.
Speaker 5: Tell it to the we can tell it to the like the thirty pound linebacker that's trying to get around this now, And.
Speaker 6: That sounds like the end of baseball. By the way, we're creeping towards the end of the sport.
Speaker 2: It does. I mean, there are people like you who want baseball to die. That's not true. It never will.
Speaker 6: There's nothing nicer to do than go to a baseball game out in the in this on a summer day. But you're saying that literally the most important position is losing. The human body can't keep up with the sport. That's finally.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: Well, but I'm I'm educating you on on there.
Speaker 2: It's a completely different sport.
Speaker 6: I know that football it is kind of a football was completely different than basketball.
Speaker 5: Of a Titans draft, it's just like you've mentioned, it's not as exciting. I know, we'll get to the Jets, like when you take the tack, but at LISTA was like, oh, this is we got the guy. This is a tackle that would have gone maybe top three some years, like, it's certainly a better prospect. I will say that Local or Eric Fisher were like when they were coming out.
Speaker 2: I think Joe al was like an outlier.
Speaker 4: He's the one offensive lineman where you would come out of the draft like, yeah, we got the six nine beasts, right, But instead. Jac Lathan, by the way, could end up being way better than Joel, but it doesn't in right now where we stand, it doesn't seem as fun or exciting. All right, let's finish off the top ten and then we're going to take a break. So we mentioned JJ McCarthy the last quarterback standing, and there are the Vikings and the Cardinals were hoping that maybe the Vikings would pick up in a panic and try to do it trade there perhaps, but they don't. The Vikings hang back, the hang back and McCarthy stays on the board. Even when the number the team at number eight stuns the world with a quarterback pick, it's not JJ McCarthy. So what do the Vikings do? They pick up the phone at eleven, they call up the Jets, or the Jets call the Vikings.
Speaker 2: I thought, Daniel Jeremiah have to give him a little pop.
Speaker 4: The expert expertly foreshadowed this like minutes ahead of time that the Jets. He's been in a situation where you just you just pick up the phone if you're the Jets, perhaps and say, hey, you want to move up one ahead of us before somebody else jumps ahead of you. And they ended up the Jets trade out of the pick, they gain a little bit of draft capital, move back one spot, and yes, JJ McCarthy goes to the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 2: There is their quarterback of the future.
Speaker 6: I will say I thought that, like QUESI the GM for the Vikings, like you've got to kind of if you're a Vikings fan, this was like a nice hand of cards, like you did a nice job here, because they could have they were the candidate to ship both their first round picks to get JJ. It wasn't to get someone else. It was in theory like all to get JJ McCarthy as the fourth quarterback.
Speaker 5: They tried to, but it was for Drake May but for sure, but I'm saying value McCarthy like that.
Speaker 6: But even in the days leading up, it was like the thought was they would have been okay with McCarthy and they would have moved and it would have taken a lot. You gave up a little bit, but you kind of got your guy or the guy that was most likely to fall to you. Where if you moved up to number four here, and it's like it's good for the Jets, but it was good for the Vikings. And I kind of like the fit with Kevin O'Connell. I think at quarterback's in a good place there. You've got wide receivers, you've got a good tight end, like your offense is kind of ready to go, and I think what happens to McCarthy is one of the more interesting subplots to next season. It's not great for Sam Darnold, but I think there was always a plan to get a different quarterbacks once then knew that too.
Speaker 4: Once they traded for that second first round pick, the writing was on the wall, Yeah, now just become again. There will be and they'll play their cards close to the vest, like who's going to start at the beginning of the season. But JJ McCarthy is the quote unquote proven winner. He's a guy that's won at every level he's played at. I think they're gonna view him as a guy that's going to be ready physically and emotionally to take that gig, and they're gonna hope he's gonna run with it. I was a little spooked, like if I'm even though they didn't they were smart the way they played, they didn't panic, and I thought if they wanted a quarterback and they couldn't get those top three more or less, staying home or as close as you can to staying home was the right play. But then you know, you see like people that been studying this player for months and months and years saying he's like maybe like an Alex Smith, Like oh okay, all right, well he had some good years, but I mean, is that what you want out of your like number I guess I don't know, is Alex Smith? Is that a ceiling that's acceptable for the pick? I don't know if that's what his ceiling is.
Speaker 5: He's been sometimes the Cousins, like of the next gen Cousins, it's kind of like you could deal with that, that's right. And it's kind of like when you're comparing these guys pennex to Flacco is another one from DJ where it's like next gen Flaco, next gen Cousins, because like every quarterback now is extremely athletic compared to those guys. It's fun like JJ McCarthy's almost talked about as like his athleticism is born.
Speaker 2: He he tested off the charts for some of this stuff.
Speaker 5: Like his straight he's not like gonna make you miss, but his straight line speed is three code like that sort of like he has a big arm, and he's an athlete, even if that's not the main part of his game.
Speaker 2: But he did seem to be the guy that.
Speaker 5: The Sean McVay tree, of which O'Connell is one, liked the best, because he's like the one to two to three, like maybe not so much Cousins or Alex Smith, but like a better brock Purty, which obviously you would take it if he actually can deliver on that. I I wonder if the Broncos wanted JJ McCarthy, you know, because that's the reason you trade.
Speaker 2: Up, well, I think more than probably more than Bonnicks. If we could truth here on them, right, we would hold that thought out, hold that thought.
Speaker 4: Let's take a break, and when we get back, we check in on the middle of the first round, stay right there, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Welcome back. So the Jets move back one spot and brock Howers is there.
Speaker 4: I think they really you'll never know, but I think they were hoping Roma Dunze was there, and I think they maybe would have pulled the trigger there, but maybe maybe they always were going to take the best offensive lineman available at that point, and it was oluh.
Speaker 2: Fashion, Yeah, you got first try Ol fashion from Penn State.
Speaker 4: So, like I said, like I said on our last show, when your your team takes an offensive lineman, it's never overly exciting.
Speaker 2: However, they have a left and a right tackle.
Speaker 4: Even as high the as the potential is with Tyron Smith, now they're left tackle two thirty three year olds Morgan Moses.
Speaker 2: On the other side.
Speaker 4: Smith's injury issues are well documented. If either of those guys go down, or both those guys go down, all of a sudden, you have a forty year old Aaron Rodgers coming off an Achilles injury, and you're right back where it feels like you've been.
Speaker 2: So it makes sense. It's a sensible pick.
Speaker 4: It's if brock Bauers, who then goes two picks later to the Raiders, turns into George Kittle, like his competence out there and Fashiono, it becomes yet another offensive lineman who kind of just kicks around the league and it doesn't quite take. If he becomes Makai Becton, you gotta you have to live with it. But it makes sense. It's a logical pick for the job.
Speaker 6: That's the whole like psychological dynamic of the draft, is you no matter what kind of fan you are or even analyst, if you like a team, you're kind of just dreaming of the showy, sexy weapons type guy, and like, you don't really value offensive lineman out of the gate.
Speaker 2: But this guy's been compared to Laramie Tunzel.
Speaker 6: Jason Zumwalt when he announced this pick in the mock draft, like was salivating over these six to six frame, three hundred and seventeen pounds, And you know what's not exciting is having your quarterback swarm by bees four plays into the season and the season is destroyed. So I like the idea of protecting Aaron Rodgers not having the whole thing crumble minutes into campaign two.
Speaker 5: Right, this is I didn't like when I was positioned as like, well, do you take a pick for now with the Jets with a pass catcher or do you take a pick for the future of the tackle. It's like, no, this is for now, Like like, hopefully he's not starting Week one, but it would be a shock if he wasn't needed to start this season.
Speaker 2: And I really liked him. I think he was.
Speaker 5: He was probably the consensus tackle too, certainly overlaith them in that like we've seen with tackles that it's a really developmental position, maybe even more than quarterback where it takes me one year, two years, it takes a while. And fashion who kind of combine maybe better than the others, a guy that could play sooner than later and had some upside behind probably only all and he's definitely a guy that's like better in pass pro than run blocking. It's like, sign me up for those guys. Those are like kind of the tackles I want the guys that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, DJ said he would have been a top five pick a year ago, so I mean, like, I think this is just one of these drafts where he's getting pushed down the board a little because of the positions that are going ahead of him.
Speaker 2: And I'll give Joe Douglas credit.
Speaker 4: I think when you look at what they've done this offseason, he could have done the thing that would have made a lot of sense, which is almost make it a absurd all in year where you're doing things like you trade up for Marvin Harrison, or you make that extra signing or two in free agency. I thought all of his moves that he made, for the most part, have made this team better and are giving them a real chance in twenty twenty four, and while they're gonna have a lot of work to do next year if Aaron Rodgers is gone or can't play anymore, they haven't mortgaged the farm in terms of a lot of their spending.
Speaker 2: So I think there.
Speaker 4: I think he has handled this in a responsible a considering there's a very good chance he's not around anymore if the season goes poorly.
Speaker 2: I don't think he is gm that way, No, but we want, like to be fair. I'm not. It's not a Pennock situation.
Speaker 6: But if you're gonna take someone at eleven, you want him to contribute and play very soon too.
Speaker 2: I think he will though. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I also because invariably it's the Jets. They're gonna lose like two linemen.
Speaker 2: You know that has been the way.
Speaker 4: I would be very surprised if we don't see Oulu on the field this year.
Speaker 2: You got to come up with a nickname for him.
Speaker 4: You can't, oh for sh I mean, oh, it is a good name, pretty good. So yes, bo Nicks. So he is the sixth quarterback off the board in twelve picks to the Denver Broncos. Greg, what were your thoughts about this election, Sean Payton seemed to be pretty happy with himself in the war room after after went down twenty four years at all, Auburn transfer to Oregon, and now he is entering a quarterback room that has Jared Stidham, that has Wilson and now Bow Nix, who I would imagine is going to be playing very soon.
Speaker 5: I want to get into Nicks. But as you mentioned, like being proud of himself in the in the worom. This is the first draft I've ever watched. Partially with Emica. I want my wife along with Walker. You know, she was there just coming in and out. But she's like, why are they so proud of themselves when they like make a decision. It's like, oh, you know, like she really cracked up about that. They're all like high fiving. There is something awkward to an outsider of like, hey, we just called in the pick and then like fifteen different guys are like high fiving each other.
Speaker 6: There is something they've been working on it from us, so I mean, but also they're all they're all in the cusp of probably like separations.
Speaker 2: We get it, we just called it a name.
Speaker 4: Just that is that moment and you could tell Emica. I said that, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear me man split. She has never listened to now that that's the cold nation. I did say of months and months of hard work, Dan, of grinding, right, that was and we appreciate that one moment like oh you beat the ten minute clock to make a phone call.
Speaker 5: I was like, okay, that's fair. I don't love what I've heard from Seun Payt afterwards. It almost sounds like in all these little leaks coming out and.
Speaker 2: Sean Payte's coming after Peyton, I love it. Well, it's just like, what is it? Now? What did he do?
Speaker 5: It's nothing, just that they're so high on bow Nicks and they're just leaking off.
Speaker 2: Of course they're going to say they're high. They're drafting them with the twelfth overall pen.
Speaker 5: Of course, but no one thought he was a special enough player to go in the first round. And so I said, he gave me Jake Locker Christian Ponder vibes. And it wasn't because of his playing style at all. Maybe Ponder, Uh, it wasn't because of his plain style. It's just like it's the end of the quarterback around. We have to get a quarterback. We can't wait any longer.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 4: Let's take the last one before we feel like there's a drop.
Speaker 6: The one thing I do like about him he had three thy seven hundred and twenty four college snaps. That's more than like Burrows had in the NFL. And it's like he did he transferred and had like two totally different types of playing styles like it he was. He was a better, different, more accurate type quarterback at Oregon.
Speaker 4: But I'm with you, I mean that whole thing where it's like this guy played a ton of snaps in college, doesn't do six for me.
Speaker 2: Sixty one career start.
Speaker 6: So then there's then there's like Achilles Smith who had twelve starts and went like second overall or something and flamed out, Like I think, I think having more tape on a quarterback is a good thing. I don't know, but the odds are the six quarterback off the board in the first round is problematic.
Speaker 5: He look his like super high tier comp was was breezed that he's just like a point guard, a quick decision maker.
Speaker 2: And who coached you, but also sort of an Alex Smith.
Speaker 5: Too, right, And and Peyton is such a good coach. His quarterbacks always have good numbers, always are pretty efficient, like he's gonna make it work. Well, it's just with the twelfth overall pick, you're taking a quarterback you want. You want someone that can maybe make all the throws and that has shown an ability to withstand pressure. That was the thing watching him. He didn't face a lot of pressure when he was at Oregon, but when he did, he had like no answer for it.
Speaker 6: Well, he also had forty five touchdowns, three picks last season and a seventy seven point four completion percentage. So it's not some of these guys like, well, we hope that they can be accurate as a pro. We love their arm and all this stuff. It's like, I think this isn't a Sean Payton type guy. Like, so that's I can understand. I don't think it's all false pr that that I know that anything that comes out of Sean Payton's mouth, greg Is and Amica certly are going to disagree with or shun.
Speaker 2: But it's like he can.
Speaker 5: Work with this guy. So he wasn't coming out of Sean Payton specifically. It was a different war room. But uh, he actually admitted after too that He's like, well, I may have been directly responsible for making people think that we were going to trade up. So he was bragging afterwards. How he It's like verbalized that like twelve times.
Speaker 4: It's almost like Sean Payton has an exceedingly high opinion of himself. I just get this feeling. Anybody else get that feeling? There is there is an energy. Alright, I'm gonna do the next five picks and jump in with anything on any of them. Okay, so you got brock Bauers the tight end going to the Raiders. So they find their Darren Waller replacement. Look at it that way, as a hyper athletic playmaker, maybe not a high end blocker. The Saints drafted tackle I'm not gonna get this one at Teleisi Fuaga out of Oregon State. And then at number fifteen, the Colts say, you know what, We're going to end the street the streak, and we're going to take a defensive player. So they take Latu Latu defensive end out of UCLA.
Speaker 2: So you get high value.
Speaker 4: There is the first defensive player off the board in the middle of the first round. This was an outlier, obviously, and the Seahawks take Byron Murphy, the defensive tackle out of Texas, so there is thirteen through sixteen.
Speaker 5: Bowers going to the Raiders was fascinating. No one had that happening. I love it because they just need more weapons. But the reason no one had it happening is because they just took Michael Mayer last year. It's is like a high second round. That's right, but interesting. It was a different regime and I'm with that. First of all, Bowers is a whole nother level of athletics.
Speaker 2: You could make two tight ends work.
Speaker 5: You want to, and Mayer is a little bit more of the the inline tight end who can also catch some passes but isn't gonna be going for like a thousand yards and Bowers could be that guy, and you just can't.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 5: Make decisions based on what the last GM did, like like, oh, he took mayor so I can't take him if you think Bowers is the best guy, and a lot of teams, probably.
Speaker 6: Especially especially the last Raiders GM, but now generally, but.
Speaker 4: From like a Raiders fan perspective, last year he used the first round pick on a tight end. You weren't second high second Oh high second on a tight end like was his ceiling here? Like inline blocker who has six hundred yards in a season like right, it doesn't sound like a team that's you know, but that's the risk when you blow things up and regimes change.
Speaker 2: It leads to it's.
Speaker 6: Great news for Gardner Minshew because it's like you're now you're starting. It's your team at this point. But I will say the one pick, I think it's not great news for Devontae Adams. But yeah, no, you're right. But if you're Mike McDonald, I just watched what he did with so many Ravens players on defense last year.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what the Seahawks were going to do in this.
Speaker 6: I kind of thought they might go for quarterback like they might, but Byron Murphy, to me, I loved watching him, and I think Mike McDonald is going to get something out of Byron Murphy right away. It wasn't like it was the biggest need on the play at all other needs, but like I love, I think it's a Seattle Seahawks type player.
Speaker 5: Right, and the things pick they kind of had to make it. This has been bubbling around, but Ian reported how Ryan Ramchick might be retiring. So I talked about how they blew their left tackle pick a couple of years ago, Trevor Penny, who can't get on the field, so they needed a left tackle. They also needed a right tackle, so they just had to take a tackle, and they took the guy who's like most fun to watch in like a brawler type, which is very sainty, and I will say I have to do a lot to like his pass rushing was I.
Speaker 2: I'm pumped for him as a pro.
Speaker 5: Hym and my guy Newton were my two favorite defensive players in the draft.
Speaker 4: Only one of them got drafted tonight, though we'll talk about that on Saturday. But little Susie ain't getting the braces this summer.
Speaker 2: Not this summer. Maybe next summer. Don't count old buck tooth, Susie.
Speaker 6: It gets tougher and tougher to correct teeth with braces as you age.
Speaker 5: Got to keep her in the dark. Hey, I didn't make you guys follow me, but I did get a tweet from tah seventy six rain maker blanked me again.
Speaker 4: All right, stick a pin in that defensive runt, the third defensive player in the road in a row. Because the Vikings. They make more moves. Yes, greg no go aheading at me now. I just want to on the Vikings.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just let me get it out.
Speaker 4: Minnesota Vikings via trade from the Jaguars, get Dallas Turner, outside linebacker from Alabama. That nice value pick there, Gregory, it was, you know what he I had a harder time with him, but he he he's a great A lot of people had him as the top ed rusher, DJ had him like great value to get up there.
Speaker 5: But they gave up you know, a three and a four to move up five spots, and it did make me think.
Speaker 2: About them not a value pick.
Speaker 5: They've just been building this team up for three years now, even though they have like a new quarterback that it felt like this was a little bit of go time for QUESTI. They've been accumulating picks and take a lot of different guys, and it was like, we got to start getting our guys and we got to kind of push our chips in the table. We got to be a little better this year to help out our rookie quarterback and Sam Darnold on the defensive side. So they're they're kind of taking a swing here by giving up all those picks, those just to move up five spots.
Speaker 6: That was expensive. It was a fit along with the switching. First it was a fifth this year, and a third and a fourth next season.
Speaker 4: Now, Mark, I don't put it like I don't get too jazzed up about guys that play a million snaps in college, but I do get noivous when guys hardly play in college. Right, And so the Bengals and a lot of people saw this coming, Mark, I think you had Cincinnati going for the offensive line in your Mark draft. Yeah, not this guy Amarus Mims out of Georgia, who's got everything you could want out of a tackle in terms of size and athleticism.
Speaker 2: But this man made eight starts in college.
Speaker 4: So that is obviously you are You're looking at his traits and you're saying this, this is an NFL player, but you barely saw him in college. But the tape and his testing was enough for the Cincinnati to say, maybe we have something special here that seems like a roll of the dice at eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I with you.
Speaker 6: I like, I think, like you know, injury history and durability matter. Like he'd allowed one QB hurry on two hundred and ninety seven snaps last year, and he'd I don't know. I think that if you read the positive traits, the Bengals are are hoping traits are great. I mean because he's shown those things. It's not like they're guessing that he has them. It's just that he was like it wasn't around.
Speaker 5: Six ' eight though they have a type there. There are three tackles right now. Are Orlando Brown one of the largest humans ever created, Trent Brown one of the largest humans ever created? With now Amarus Mims who a lot of people, the people that are super into tackles in the draft, they're thinking he's the most fascinating guy in the draft. That the boomer bus guy in the draft could be a total top five talent in total who knows, you know, have a good development six.
Speaker 4: Seven three forty, gifted with size and athleticism with Kaipex like it.
Speaker 2: It can go both ways with the Giants. Yeah, but what do you want him to be? Five?
Speaker 4: No, I want him to be exactly six six eighteen And then I'm totally fine with the pick.
Speaker 2: You asked, well, I mean, point Mark, thank you wouldn't even make a point be on the field a little more. Yeah, I guess that's what you are. That's the question. What was the point that you don't want me to be small? I thought I made it.
Speaker 6: I thought I made a point that I think if you're listening to this, you're thinking that was that. I took Dan in a different direction there, wheeled him around a little bit.
Speaker 2: So wheel this. The rams at nineteen finally picked this one. Was fun.
Speaker 4: I love this on the you love the pick, I love the player. Okay, I love this all right. So Jared Verse is very talented defensive end. A lot of people say, oh, maybe the best PR pass rusher and all that. However, you know enough enough. However, I loved this from Charles Davis, who while Jared Versus, you know, off the board and it's this big moment in his life. Here's Charles Davis asking the questions that need to be as. I talk with a top level NFL scout former GM and he said, hey, this kid had the reputation of being, you know, kind of a you know what.
Speaker 2: So I asked him, point, Blake, are you a new you know what? Jared Verse? And he said, I am on the practice field and on the game field. The rest of the time. I'm an okay guy. He knows how to.
Speaker 4: Turn it on, just like charl Di so you and asked like, be honest.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 6: I I don't know if I saw anyone like on the defensive side of the ball that made me more interested than this player.
Speaker 5: Charles was kind of working blue tonight because he also tried to quote, uh, why am I forgetting his name Brian Cox's character in Succession? You know f Off doing the telecast.
Speaker 2: Davis was out there today. Is that I like that version of him? I love that Charles Davis. Sorry, Jared Versus, you were very verse, not.
Speaker 6: Like you know the way he rushes the passer, like I mentioned on that other show, watching him just like take you know these six six three d and forty pound guys and just like smashing them into the quarterback and they both fall to the ground.
Speaker 2: Like toy soldiers. It's like this guy like makes the rams.
Speaker 6: I mean it was a need for them too, but it's like it is someone that can come in and like punish people in the NFC West.
Speaker 2: I kind of love him the way he plays a nice team. I love him with Byron Young. It's kind of the total opposite.
Speaker 5: You have you have the bend in the edge speed Edgdresher, and then you have the big strong maybe set the edge a little better in the run defense with Jared versus they're a nice little and.
Speaker 2: Think he's a little bit of a butt head. Hopefully he can deal with it, you know what I mean. He said he's a good guy. Off he'd claim he said he was, Yeah, well how would you, how would anyone? Well if it got to the point where like a lot of the chatter was like, you know, this guy kind of sucks all of that.
Speaker 5: He seemed to have a very nice, loving family set up. He had a heartwarming.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it. I don't know anything about the man.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying it had reached a level that Charles Davis brought it up to a national audience minutes seconds after he was taken. And then it was so important to Charles C. D that he asked the man himself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the report, the reporting hit a tipping point and he had to, you know, ask the question that needed to be asked to get that. Do you want him to be I don't want to be too friendly, so my.
Speaker 4: Curiosity is peaked like like what is going on for that to be like a main storyline from one of the top college analysts. Seconds there, Eric, can you put in a request for Jared Verse? When we talk about this, I get that, what a great point, and give me a ding, give me something. Nobody's asking these questions. Well, Charles Davis, is you get a bully for a ding? It's not It's not worth it. It handed out dings and greats points. The Sessler's not even making points.
Speaker 6: Why why do you need to turn into this person during this during what has been a you know, a relatively well natured show. You're you're asking for praise and sound clips and all this stuff without endless praise? Can you get out of this show without endless praise aimed at you?
Speaker 2: Do you know? You know? I don't know. It seems absurd. Do you know what you think I'm being right now? You're being I don't know if I'd go there. It's brought a background on you.
Speaker 4: He did bring your back around, Yeah, admit, Like, all right, let's take a Breakney and let's finish round one. All right, we're back. We are at pick twenty. Let's hit the rest of the first round. Now, the Pittsburgh Steelers. They go to their offensive line, adding help there with Troy Fatinau from Washington. So interior is that the first guard off the board interior alignment.
Speaker 5: You know they're listing him that way. But he was fantastic at tackle and could be playing there like a lot of these offensive linemen. Actually, Graham Martin coming up to could play multiple positions, but I have a feeling they will try him at tackle.
Speaker 6: He's incredibly Yeah, PFF called him, labeled him as the most versatile alignment of any of them. So that's you know, multi position diverse and the best overall athlete of all the lignment.
Speaker 2: It's saying. It looked more like a tight end.
Speaker 4: It's excellent to have the Yeah, the alignment that could play all over.
Speaker 2: Now, the Dolphins they go defense.
Speaker 4: They take Chop Robinson edge at a Penn State and that is a move. You know, some people thought, Greggie, maybe the Dolphins would take a burner and just go totally hog while on their offense. But they do address their defense, which seems to make sense. Well, I thought they might go your guy Newton there. Yeah, I was where it started to feel like this storry bro might not work out for me. It was a big need because Bradley Chubb and Jalen Phillips just bad luck, are coming off massive injuries. Both of them might not be ready for the start of the season, so you could be starting or certainly asking Chop Robinson to play a lot of snaps. Shack Barry is on that roster too. Quiet signing by.
Speaker 6: Them, and they were like their pass rushing fell apart at the end of last season. I don't hate I like to pick for them. I thought that, like Chop Robinson was interesting to watch.
Speaker 2: I thought Xavier Worthy there would.
Speaker 4: Have been that would have been whining, but he landed in a pretty fascinating place. I thought it was I thought it was weird and that you don't usually see this. I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who said that Chop Robinson his nickname of Chop is because of like the choppy steps he takes. He's known for, Like that's the way he kind of moves, and that's one of the things that perhaps they want to coach out of him. So you want to quar nick out. Yeah, the thing that his actual like his nickname. Wow, Yeah, I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that at all.
Speaker 4: Old regular steps Robinson. Yeah, that's troubling anyway. Let's move to the Eagles, who have done it again, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. As you heard you heard it here first that the Eagles won the draft Night one with Quinyan Mitchell out of Toledo cornerback, high value. And I was seeing it everywhere. But let's call this one up. I saw this. Quinyan Mitchell electrifies Eagles fans at number twenty two Comma Heist of the twenty twenty four NFL drafts. So rest easy, everyone, The sheep are still herded together. Oh trope of Yes, what all the smart people say the Eagles do everything right? So I will say that immediately on instinct, and then I'll be amongst the safe people.
Speaker 5: Well, this bit must be, uh, this is all in your head. This bit must be really resonating because after this pick, and of course I complimented something about the Eagles, Everyone's like.
Speaker 2: Is that going to be okay? With Dan? Hey?
Speaker 5: All we heard all week is like, there's no chance Howie Roseman sticking in picking. He does kind of trade up and trade out, but how he's so far ahead of the rest of the league. He knew somehow that he was going to have his pick of any cornerback in the draft his number one need. So we think alike. After all these podcasts together, Dan I also collected some reaction to the Eagles picks.
Speaker 2: We have a series of Doug Ferrar is higher than an A plus.
Speaker 5: Let's go there is nothing higher than an A plus, Lindsay Roads, our great friend likely fun to be an Eagles fan on draft. Every pick just feels perpot ah ah, what.
Speaker 2: Are you talking? We got one more?
Speaker 5: We got one more? This was my favorite one. How he can't keep getting away with this?
Speaker 2: I think Dan's point has been made. Howie mother, it's it's a perfect It looks like a great pick. I'm just saying it. It is a good way.
Speaker 4: People in our industry tend to want to gravitate toward who are the the thought leaders on social media, and they know that the Eagles are very popular amongst those people, one of them, and so they'll just say, oh, let me immediately get my take out there, my little keyboard. Yeah, get my little keyboard out there. I'll get my take out there, and I'll align with the smart people. And then people think I'm smart.
Speaker 6: I think I think I saw these people have the same opinion. I think Dan is absolutely onto something. And then, like rosemand got going early. They signed aj Brown to a three year deal right after the DeVante Smith thing, which I thought cleared up what could have been an off season you know, drama, drama gone.
Speaker 2: Howie Roseman, what great to give.
Speaker 5: That A plus plus plus plus plus it was this that was like a sneaky big contract is by far the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: They just gave a huge contract to a wide receivers.
Speaker 5: Eighty four million guarantee right if thirty two a year in new money, which is easily the most. And we'll have to look at all the details and stuff, but this is setting the bar. I think these these wide receiver contracts are going to get crazy. Everyone's trying to get in before Jefferson because the aman Ross Saint Brown contract. We never hit that on this on the pod just because of timing, but both him and Piney Sewell got monster deals from the Lions.
Speaker 2: Classy move by the Lions.
Speaker 5: They give their stars huge contracts way before the draft, and then they bring them out to introduce the draft along with Megatron and them and.
Speaker 2: There has to be a tradition obviously pretty good sense to the moment. Every team at the moment.
Speaker 4: Every team that's hosting should do that with their here their legends, because it's a great moment for them and the fans that are there for ten hours. All kidding aside, I think it's a perfectly good pick for the Eagles. They do know what they're doing, and I did. I think it left me. I felt a little I felt a little bad, quite honestly about I don't want to be in a like a blood feud with Philadelphia because I don't have any issues with Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Apparently not.
Speaker 4: I really don't like about those Sixers Nicks series going on that that's great and that's fun. And the Sixers got off the mat tonight. It's a good job by them. But so there's a there's I guess that's a rivalry. But I'm not a Mets fan, so like the Phillies don't bother me, and I'm not a Giants fan, contrary to popular belief by people who listen to the show, so I don't have an Eagles hatred.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm going to share some things I like about Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 4: Let's take a brief aside here Hall of Oates, love hall of Oates. How about cheese steaks with the cheese whizz. Mark can't wait till they are both.
Speaker 2: He's like, we're going to be here five more. I give them both. A lot of people say, oh, I only like Hall not Over, but I'm both from Philly. They're Philly. Yeah that Philly for real? Is there a third item? More? Mark?
Speaker 4: Okay, Randall Cunningham's ninety one yard punt?
Speaker 2: Love that? Yeah, yep, good? Remember that.
Speaker 4: I meant the Giant team. But how about like that ninety two yard throw that touchdown?
Speaker 2: Love that too?
Speaker 4: And I love that move the Superman dive in the end zone. Love it all, but the ninety one yard punt is better. I like Bryce Harper speaking of the Phillies, He's a fun guy to watch. I like Questlove. I like the Roots, I got good songs.
Speaker 2: I like, uh, it's always sunny in Philadelphia or listening to it right now? The theme? Yeah, I mean that's a Hollywood product. Put okay, you know what. I like the Declaration of Independence? Bitch, that's American. Where was the sign near that crack bell? I get it? I like Silver Linings Playbook. Okay, do you I do. I love that movie. Actually, even though Bradley Cooper's in, Yeah, I feel like that one of the main star. You seem to dislike that.
Speaker 4: I love several of the m Night Shyamalan films, fine, several of them, and most of all, I love Colleen Wolf. So okay, put it all together, and uh, it's not all bad. So I want to I want to make peace with Philly if if you want, we could bury the hatchet here tonight.
Speaker 6: I think Greg and I are watching you evolved before our eyes on this episode of the podcast.
Speaker 5: If you if you watch us on night YouTube, you should check that out. Get you know, we'll have it up. You'll see Brian Baldinger was there with with Colleen, also from Philly. Right, yeah, Paul in Philly. But I didn't notice. You didn't mention, you know, Gonzo.
Speaker 2: The oh, I love Gonzo. John goes without saying.
Speaker 4: I mean I could sit here all day just naming every person I've ever met from him.
Speaker 2: Right, but he's the husband of the you know the woman. This is great. It's very Greg, but yes, John two, okay, good.
Speaker 6: I didn't want to leave now, Greg's like, let's let me not get out of this segment without some feud being created between you and someone's husband.
Speaker 4: All right, let's move on. The Jacksonville Jaguars. Oh, I love this one.
Speaker 2: This one.
Speaker 4: This is via a trade with Minnesota through Cleveland from Houston. They Brian Thomas, the wide receiver out of LSU and the writing this would have been I feel like an easy sandwich, Greg if anybody threw it out there because they badly wanted Calvin Ridley back and they thought it was in the bag, and then they ended up getting losing him because another team blew him out of the water.
Speaker 2: So now they replaced Calvin Ridley and that was a need.
Speaker 5: If a different team made this trade, everyone be like, oh they did it again, like they Trent Balki played the board perfectly. This is not typically what the Jaguars did. But they were at seventeen overall where I thought Brian Thomas Junior would have or could have been the pick there. They also could have taken a cornerback certainly, but I thought they. I love Thomas, people just don't move like him. He reminds me a little bit of DK Metcalf just in the not like he's as big as as physical. He's more of just a burner and smooth, but just like he has one skill set that is just so exceptional that he can learn the rest as they go. And so they moved back six spots. They got all these picks. We talked about that the Vikings gave up a third and a fourth next year and I think really added some juice to that offense. That is a speedy offense with ETN, Gabe Davis and Brian Thomas and I mean if.
Speaker 6: You look at their wide out room, Christian kirk, z A Jones, Gabe Davis and Evan Ingram at tight end, like this is a fact. There's a lot going on here in terms of right speed, downfield speed and Thomas is a deep bul thread.
Speaker 4: Did you guys see the Jaguars war room at this time? Yes, that was good, pretty tough. Tony Kahan, who's been on the show. He's the son of Seod conn and he's a you know, a big figure obviously with the Jaguars, and I believe he owns a wrestling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was like this like in the Latin the past couple of days was body slammed we have this wrestling event.
Speaker 4: He got pile of driven into the ground and listen, wrestling is scripted, but the guys take real bumps. And Tony takes a bump that requires him to wear a neck brace, and I just have like a take here. Neck braces in general, they're rough, like you, like, no one looks good in a neck brace. There's something truly vulnerable about being stuck in a neck brace. The way you're like stiff and you you have no range of You're like Michael Keaton in the first Batman, like you can't move and your just eyes are darting around.
Speaker 2: You just don't look very good. It's tough, tough, bad beat ready to come on? How do you have a controller? And take about neck brace?
Speaker 5: Because it's it's kate what do they call it? Kate fabri what like he's playing it up. It's a wink wink to the whole wrestling community. Yeah, of course it's a bit he got. It's wrestling. He's making it really, he's making it real. I would say it if you in that. Everyone loved it.
Speaker 6: He did seem to be to have full uh full motion and he was struggling with his I mean are you are you are you telling me that people don't get injured in wrestling?
Speaker 5: Of course they do, But I follow I guess enough wrestling fans on Twitter that were just going nuts that like he took it this far that he acted. They were like basically people were begging and hoping he would wear the neck brace to the thing because he's not really he's not really here.
Speaker 2: And he did it, and he did it. He ended it. Your point to it, and he did it last night. Would do it.
Speaker 5: He did it last day on national TV to set it up.
Speaker 2: He's one step ahead of you.
Speaker 4: He's promoting the injury is one step ahead of the draft. I think he wants to be on national television and the neck brace. Yes, yeah, I think it's it's we're talking about it an act. Yes, I'm just saying it's a tough. It's tough. You're not wrong about the neck break. Have you ever watch wrestling in your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Injuries happen, I know. But in this case, how can you be so sure?
Speaker 5: Because because he owns the company and they set it up that.
Speaker 2: It happened to he was was he actually pile driven? Yes? And then they is it possibly could have hurt his neck taking the pile driver.
Speaker 4: You'd have to say it's I will I will defer to all the wrestling enthusiasts that are into it night after night, who all acknowledged and embraced that he's having some fun here.
Speaker 6: I Greg Greg, Like any on any pocket of Twitter, Greg is one of the largest followers of every.
Speaker 2: Pocket's got a terrible take.
Speaker 6: Wing once on this show, but he is also one of the largest Twitter followers of wrestling fanatics.
Speaker 2: The answer making news. Greg knows everything. But there's no question you're wrong in this no question. It's impossible. Wait, what's breaking it? Well, yeah, that you're wrong. Oh that's impossible now all the time. But in this case, you're wrong. But how do you know? I'm just curious, like you, you must know because it's I wouldn't this happened.
Speaker 5: I sort of was like, he did it, like it's an amazing that's an amazing marketing bit that you set up.
Speaker 4: Marketing because it does set up your national team. I think he turned put up put it this way. I think he turned lemons into lemonade. I think he got dinked in a big spot.
Speaker 6: I think you're you're all right, kind of a Mario Smims is like, could they have spent seven minutes on on my on the greatest day of mind.
Speaker 4: The Lions, via trade with the Dallas Cowboys, take Terry and Arnold, the cornerback out of Alabama. The Packers take offensive tackle Jordan Morgan out of Arizona. The Bucks select Graham Barton, tackle at a Duke a center that apparently the Cowboys wanted a piece of and don't get them. And the Cardinals via the Houston Texans they had that extra first round pick from their trade last year, take Darius Robbins Robinson, defensive end at a Missouri.
Speaker 2: I think for.
Speaker 6: Detroit they were fortunate, as were you know, a number of teams that the cornerback run came late that that this really was sort of the final position that Detroit needed to address.
Speaker 2: And Terry Arnold falls into your lap.
Speaker 6: He's from Alabama, you know he can play, and you added Carlton Davis in the offseason, You've got Brian Branch. Suddenly it looks like a strength. If Arnold works out, you've got a strength.
Speaker 5: He was probably the safest cornerback in the draft just because he's from Alabama. He's a Lions type of guy, and then to see him come out and the crowd just go crazy for him, and he was like ready for that moment and like embraced it and said.
Speaker 2: I'm home, I'm home. I just want to say, Detroit put y'all got a start, man, he come home. Man, that's awesome. Well I dig that. All right.
Speaker 4: Let's stop down right here, take a quick break, and we'll be back with more of round one. All right, we're back number twenty eight. The Kansas City Chiefs. They move up, they trade up, They trade up for a wide receiver. Does that sound familiar. We'll talk about it on Saturday. And they take Xavier Worthy. And there's a lot of reasons to be excited about this pick because that is the saving savior. Worthy that ran a four point two to one at the combine, setting the record at that event for speed.
Speaker 2: He's undersized Mark Sessler.
Speaker 4: However, the Chiefs have been missing this element of their offense since Tyreek Hill was traded. And we will not go into a new season in Kansas City being like they haven't added something new and exciting. This Whether it works or not, whether his as an undersized receiver, he's able to translate at one hundred and sixty five pounds of bucks sixty five.
Speaker 2: We'll see, but this is an exciting idea. Yes, and they went for it, and he's.
Speaker 6: Getting to Sean Jackson comps and you added Hollywood Brown.
Speaker 2: So they've addressed it.
Speaker 6: And I think the one of the more fascinating for me, unpredictable turns in this draft post Pennix Junior, is that the Bills allowed the Chiefs to trade into their spot when they also needed a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: And we'll get to what they didn't do later.
Speaker 6: But the Chiefs, of all teams to trade with, allowed to come into that space and take a guy that amps up their offense. I don't know, you know what, just because it's the Bills, I guess it could have been anyone. It just seems to me if you're a Bills fan, you're like, excuse me, you did what where now?
Speaker 2: Today? With the with the Chiefs. Well, let's ask Eric the producer, Eric, where you're at.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, yeah, it's definitely situations you don't do with the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: It's they might as well be in your division.
Speaker 7: It's like, I think it's worse yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean the Jets haven't ripped our heart out, you know every year from no, like they're the ones that won't let you go. You're on the blacklist, and then you give them, you know, a speedster that we're probably gonna give you Tyreek Kill flashbacks and and yeah, and then like Mark alluded to, they you know, eventually trade themselves out of the first round entirely and don't address anything.
Speaker 2: And it was a weird day. I hear that.
Speaker 5: And but like if the value was good and it didn't get that much. Actually they just got to move up from the third to the fourth. And it's like twenty seven straight teams didn't want Xavier Worthy. The Bills didn't want Xavier Worthy. Can maybe Xavier Worthy would have felt like two or three more picks? Want me be a good pick one argument though, Greg, because the way the way it turns out, and the Bills will pick you know, first of all, two more wide receivers went off the board before they'll pick again, So it's not just about Xavier Worthy. But maybe, yeah, maybe they If you're a Bills fan, you're like, what are are we the AFC's cowboys.
Speaker 2: This officer there would even more.
Speaker 5: Like Ady Mitchell, who is a lot of people's wide receiver four or five, is still there and was commonly mocked to the Bills, including I think by you, Mark, because I think that was the one pick you and Walker had the same and they could still take him there at at thirty three. I do think Worthy though, it's gonna end up being a big part of our lives because he's with the Chiefs and he's he's not John Ross, he's not Henry Ruggs. To me like he's a great route runner, Like he has real like lateral movement skills. Now can he survive like at that wait, that is a larger question, But he was on a team with another guy who's gonna get taken very early tomorrow, Ady Mitchell, and like Xavier Worthy was clearly the one, and his speed just sort of made defenses have to approach them completely different.
Speaker 2: And I think he's gonna be a weapon.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys that picked twenty nine, they want to make that splash this season, but it just nothing seems to be going their way. They do end up with Tyler Geitton, who is a very big, very physical, very fast and athletically gifted tackle prospect out of Oklahoma. But another guy like Mims that we were talking about, only fifteen college starts. He's seen as a raw prospect and for a team that's very much all in now, there's a little bit of a gamble here that can you get him up to speed and have him be a contributor right now actually within a hole on the line after Tyron Smith.
Speaker 5: Now supposedly they really wanted to tackle and Graham Barton it was a tackle on college, but some people see him more as a center into your alignment and the pros. But like that was like our guy, Nate Tice, one of his very favorite players in the draft, thought he's been way overlooked, like a top fifteen player, just going to be as safe a pick as you could possibly have, a guy that can play right away. And they end up trading out of that pick when people thought they might take him, maybe hoping he'd fall to twenty nine, and instead they get a guy who kind of looks like a project. And they need guys to play right away, and Guyton is supposed to be one of those guys that might need a year or two to develop.
Speaker 6: I like what the Cardinals did too, by the way, Darius Robinson. But I go back to Graham Barton. I think Graham Barton is the Bucks took him, is one of the more intriguing a lignement in this entire draft. And we talked about a couple of shows. Ago can play all over the place. I think that's the steal for the Bucks. I thought he was going to go to Philadelphia if they didn't go cornerback.
Speaker 5: Light's been think you good remaking their offensive line, and the picks don't always look good like the first year, Like Gadeki didn't look great the first year, and then it looks pretty good a year or two later.
Speaker 2: He's done a nice job.
Speaker 4: The Ravens take Nate Wiggins, the cornerback at at Clemson. The Niners take Ricky Piersall, the wide receiver out of Florida. That sounds very spicy potentially in that offense, and you know, more questions about what's the future in that wide receiver room because you're just adding another big time player or a first round pick, and you already have Deebo Samuel there still obviously Brandon Aiyuk there, there's still room for them all.
Speaker 2: Greg you but just keep an eye on and the Panthers.
Speaker 4: Then they have the first pick of the second round, but they say, no, we want to get into the first round, so they trade with the Bills. You trade out of the first round entirely, and they take Xavier Loget wide receiver out of South Carolina, the final wide receiver taken tons of wide receivers seven in the first round.
Speaker 2: Thoughts well, the purece all pick.
Speaker 5: I was really keeping an eye on when that went on the board, because earlier in the day Tom Currn put out there on one of his shows just just talking that the Patriots have been working on an Ayuk trade. That yea, it's not definitive, but when the forty nine ers get on the board, keep an eye. If they take a wide receiver, then we might be talking a lot on Friday, whether the Patriots end up trading that number thirty four overall pick they have the number two pick in the second round as part of a brand in AYUK trade.
Speaker 2: John Lynch, you know, laughed it off a little bit.
Speaker 5: They asked him about a press conference Thursday night, seeing why are we always the ones that you know, people are talking about with trades, which is not a denial, and it wasn't as specific, but Mike Silver and Diani Rassini separately reported on Thursday that the forty nine ers had been offering Ayuk and or Deebo Samuel in different trades. They said, maybe trying to get way up in the draft, like trying to get to the top ten. That clearly didn't happen. That was before the draft, but it really makes it sound like they're open to trading. I mean, man, if the Patriots could get that.
Speaker 6: Do that, I thought that it certainly seems strong they were trying to get up into the first round to make a move to get a different type of wide receiver somewhere else if they're gonna trade one of those guys. But throwing debo in there, that kind of threw me for a loop that they're both available. I don't think they're both available, but right one on the other.
Speaker 5: Out they're available. That is that is pretty wild, and that would be a salary cap is a real trade. If they traded Ayuk for the thirty second or the thirty fourth overall pick that they thought, uh whoever was on the board would be worth it. Pearsall's more of like a vertical slot guy. You know, got a let them pop from Harmon on our wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Sure he's also he's.
Speaker 6: A twenty four year old rookie, but I don't you know, again, get them for four years.
Speaker 5: So college football and now it's gonna kind of is so weird with the COVID year thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, you've got a lot of older rookies.
Speaker 5: Jade and Daniels was once throwing to Ricky pearsaw right at Arizona State. Okay, that's not that crazy. Sure in Brandon Ayuk, it's like what branded Ayuk's been in the NFL. It feels like for a long time Jade and Daniels was throwing to I don't know.
Speaker 2: What's what's going And also Steve Steve Smith senior, he threw to him too.
Speaker 5: And none of them on the team that you associate them with. It was Herman Edwards Arizona State team.
Speaker 4: All right, there you go, that's the first thirty two. Why don't we check in Mark. You had your Mox Sessler Mark draft. What were the results? Let's bring it up.
Speaker 2: What do we got here?
Speaker 4: All right, so you're going three for three out of the gate, I think pretty much everybody did, uh, where do you got bow knicks to the Broncos? Nice?
Speaker 2: You had him at twenty seven. Just for everyone listening, we also have and he went, well, I believe, but we're giving you that obviously, and neighbors Giants, Moleak, neighbors to the New York And also we got the Saints. Pick there, Oh you got Talise four. I got to the Saint that's one nice but overall, hum drum, let's be honest, sort of a failure. So you got not up to my one, two three? You got five out of thirty two? Is that quick? Six? Because you got JJ McCarthy. It was later put that counts one two, three.
Speaker 6: Four, five six seven. I see what you guys are trying to do. Seven four plus one plus one plus one is seven seven. Wait, I don't I still don't see the seven because you're colorblind.
Speaker 2: I'm not making fun of you. You told us.
Speaker 6: But the one in the middle, the Saints one, it looks like the other ones because it's Saints colors. But it's like I got that the four or then the Giants that's five. Then in the middle column, okay, that's the Saints.
Speaker 4: That's number six and the or bright orange broncos Bone next to seven This is great Part.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty five. Can we keep in mind that one of the hosts color that was not tough. It's just a tough addition.
Speaker 4: So seven out of thirty two, I feel like that's that's probably around industry average, I would guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think some stuff, you know, I had also for the show, and it's not if you if I had to, like, you know, with a gun in my head, I had like eighteen trades in the first round, and a lot of that stuff just did not have I.
Speaker 7: Thought Mark was going to sneak in one with Buffalo with Mitchell in the last couple of picks. I thought I was going to sneak in one more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Bills are like, we're We're determined to win six games. They ruined. They ruined my niece's night.
Speaker 7: She watched the draft for the first time, a new Buffalo fan or new to understand what's going on.
Speaker 4: Well, they're giving her a heads up of what to expect over the next eighty All Night got a video taped it Wednesday.
Speaker 5: It's pretty you know, relatively early on. There's some you know, last minute reporting that you probably would have changed them.
Speaker 4: It's kind of cheating the people that put out the mock draft after the last second report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I refuse to do that. I don't see a lot of And you.
Speaker 4: Know what, you absolutely destroyed my son, Walker Rosenthal.
Speaker 2: I mean, like on the tennis courts had children.
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 2: That was my main goal.
Speaker 5: But he, you know, it kind of chicken scratches. I love that he's so committed to his mock draft. He would not let me take it in or even write on it, but I did take a picture and highlight he got two picks right.
Speaker 2: He got Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison right, and that's it. Now. He made this two weeks ago, so that that was especial. Wait, he should have done a two point zero. He didn't. He didn't want to surprise. He loves this stuff. Well he was.
Speaker 5: He was doing mock draft simulators just on like websites over and over repeatedly.
Speaker 2: But that was his one. Not a lot of nine year olds are getting any of these rights.
Speaker 4: So maybe this I think you can and I'm sure you did let him know because he did disappoint you, I know, but that doing a final mock draft two weeks before is okay, way behind the eight ball.
Speaker 2: That's a good point when when your your competitor did it the day before the draft.
Speaker 5: I I admired tonight. He was taking notes and he was writing all the picks as they were happening.
Speaker 2: With He loves it, he is. I enjoyed it. A certified young super fit. That's what the NFL craves. They you are craving what he's offering.
Speaker 4: All right, we hope you craved what we had to offer on today's episode. We will be back on Saturday. So Friday, we're gonna let it all soak in round two and three, and then Saturday four, five, six, seven, we will be recording that afternoon here from Los Angeles and have something up for you shortly after the draft wraps up.
Speaker 2: And that's it. That's it. That's a good that's a good rundown of round one. I feel like we did. I agree we needed to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, someone's got to take our guy Cooper to Jean whatever happened to him.
Speaker 2: He's going tomorrow Hill Tomorrow. He the call