Speaker 1: Chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Kat and Maddie on Seven Pancakes. If you're tuned in, we're going all the way, coming in clean with me.
Speaker 1: Let's go Severn Pancakes. Queens.
Speaker 3: Aye, terrible that could have been one of your words.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Welcome to Seven Pancakes you guys.
Speaker 2: Today we have joining us a special guest, three times nors Saica Championship bronze medalists, Canadian team national team member love Austin Setter, Trinity Western University alumni.
Speaker 1: They're one and only three.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, happy to be here.
Speaker 5: So you're from Langley, British Columbia. Can you tell me where as I'm looking at Canada?
Speaker 4: That is?
Speaker 6: Yes, far as far west as you can go, right like two hours north of Seattle.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, So I like on the Vancouver side.
Speaker 1: That's all I know is Vancouver on the west. That's all obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 5: And you don't speak French. I do not know zero because the other side people speak French. Yeah, because when you have teammates on my team, Yeah, she'd be speaking French.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why is it not a thing for you? Why don't you not speak French? As your family?
Speaker 6: You don't really hear it around like in the community at all. No, it's just not really normal. And we learned it in school, learned.
Speaker 4: It, but barly not much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did you cheat in your French classes is what you're telling us.
Speaker 6: I definitely had some answer keys given to me at times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh man, okay. So you're from Langley, British Columbia. You led Canada to three Northsyca Championship bronze medals twenty nineteen, twenty twenty one, twenty twenty three Best setter twenty twenty three, giving me okay, And you played pro in Germany and Brazil.
Speaker 4: Yes, and France and athletes unlimited one.
Speaker 5: Season, okay, athletes limited early and then you've been with the national team since twenty nineteen. Yeah, you took last year off.
Speaker 6: I played a month like the first week of VNL, and then got injured and was going to kind of rest.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, good time to do that.
Speaker 4: Really good time. Yeah, it was actually perfect.
Speaker 5: There was a time to get injured, was yeah, what'd you do?
Speaker 6: I Well, my husband's a fisherman, so I went to Alaska with him to fish. That was the month of July and then August we got engaged and and I was planning a wedding for two months.
Speaker 5: Okay, nice and like.
Speaker 6: Family niece's nephew's beach. You know, it's like the really nice time of the year to live in Vancouver. So I enjoyed all of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's amazing, okay, and you can also sing.
Speaker 1: In fact, apparently I didn't even know that.
Speaker 4: I know, I didn't know that. Such a well kept secret on our team. No, no one really knows. Kind of fun.
Speaker 5: But didn't you release some music at one point?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 5: You don't even know your teaving.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I hear her Maddie like sing sometimes I'm like they actually sound like good together.
Speaker 1: Like okay, I know it was like a real thing, So I know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've released two different like projects like little little albums basically, but I don't really at by them that much.
Speaker 5: Not a song songs lightly.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm gonna do some research and like ad your music too.
Speaker 5: Are you on Spotify?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, oh yeah, we're finding it. We're finding it.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. Yeah, we gotta get that all right. And then volleyball wise, you put up fifty two assists against Nebraska in the opening game of the season. Can you just talk about popping off?
Speaker 6: I guess, oh boy, Well, yeah, we really loved playing long, five set games.
Speaker 4: So that's fun. That was a fun game. It was exciting. It's fun to play in the US.
Speaker 6: It's fun to play a bunch against a bunch of people that you're friends with. It's like, I don't know, totally different, and that was so fun. Our crowd was awesome.
Speaker 4: I feel so close to home here, so it just feels like really nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you have Cat on your team, that's yeah, it's perfect good energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of, you know, having fun and enjoying volleyball, what brought you into the sport.
Speaker 6: I was really little. I'm the youngest of five kids, so it was I was in the volleyball gym all the time. My older sisters both played, my older brother played, so I think it was like third grade or something that I was like on a team, so super little, and I was like probably in kindergarten. I'm like, why am I not on a team?
Speaker 5: I'm ready for sure, gives energy, I'm going to run this, yes exactly.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I was I wanted to play because I saw my sister play and watched her and thought it was cool.
Speaker 4: So really, little little Brie was playing volleyball.
Speaker 5: Do you think that obviously your sister playing has a huge part in why you play, and then like you can make that connection maybe to kind of what we're doing with the youth to prove.
Speaker 6: I remember being like a club athlete and thinking it was the coolest thing ever to watch like women play and adults. My sister also played for Canada as well, so I have like very clear memories of watching Canada play as a little kid, and it absolutely like you don't know what you don't know right, So then as soon as you see it in front of you, it's like whoa, Like this is bigger and bigger than I ever could have imagined. It was on in my own little brain. So that's I think such a special thing about Like when I look out into a crowd of our games, I'm always like it what fires me up the most is the young girls because I'm like, yes, like and now you see it, and now you know what's possible, you know, And I feel like, until you see it, it's kind of just ideas and I love when you can like see it in their eyes, like, oh my gosh, maybe you know, maybe one day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you walk around, but he was like licking his Okay, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I think it's amazing.
Speaker 6: I love meeting the kids and seeing them kind of get it for the first time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so special for them. Okay. So then you went to college in Canada. Do you call it college or university?
Speaker 6: We call it university one university.
Speaker 5: How was the university volleyball scene in Canada, like, were you I don't know, comparative, I don't I know nothing about it compared to like collegiate volleyball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very different. It's much much smaller scale. Canada is a really big country. We have very few people. We have like our population is ten percent of the population of the US, so just not a lot of people to begin with. And volleyball is really not a popular sport yet in.
Speaker 4: Canada, so very few teams.
Speaker 6: Like in the entire Canadian University League there was thirteen teams I think, like that was it. Yeah, and all across Canada. So there's really like one or maybe two major schools per province. We call them like states. Okay, So it was like a very very small scale college volleyball nothing like like I remember seeing American club tournament for the first time and there was like a zillion courts and it's like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: Were playing with the club team from Canada when you saw that? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was. We like went down to Washington State and played tournament of like wide. I like, this is there's.
Speaker 5: A lot of girls who are good from there's two you know, like just so yeah, because in comparison, what the US has like over three hundred Division IE volleyball programs, So it's that is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: All the girls that were like really good your sport, you knew all of them were D one out of school.
Speaker 6: I felt like I knew everyone that played volleyball in Canada.
Speaker 4: Like at high level. It's like there's not that many of us.
Speaker 6: And even now, like pro athletes, Canadian pro athletes like overseas play right now, it's like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Thirty maybe total.
Speaker 1: Wow, like really not a lot.
Speaker 4: So it's just very different and.
Speaker 6: It is mind blowing here seeing like club, the world of club, the world of college even like we did brackets for like the NCAA Championship and I am like so lost, Like I can't even fathom how many teams are we're in this tournament. I'm like, wow, it's just very different, very small, like small town feel it feels like in Canada.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So then how did you go from your university then to going pro? Like how did that? Did you know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Was a thing.
Speaker 6: I knew pro was a thing because my sister played one year, and so I was like aware, I didn't really have a desire. I was like, I'm kind of good just you know, finishing college and that being it. And then I tried out for Team Canada in my let me use American lingo June after my junior year of college year three year and started and again there's just not that many athletes in Canada in that system at all. So it was kind of a very quick ramp up for me from like young, brand new, learning everything, learning what like international volleyball really was in a practical sense, and then and we think you.
Speaker 4: Can maybe like help us sooner than you think.
Speaker 6: And then it was a very like quick ramp up to being the in the main squad I guess for Canada. And then I very quickly realized like going back to play Canadian college volleyball is not going to develop me as a player in the same way that going overseas is going to it.
Speaker 4: Those are just on kind of different planets, I would say. Right, So I got in touch with an agent and I got really lucky and got a great first contract in Germany on a good team, and then it was kind of like, Okay, how quickly I felt like I was kind of catching up.
Speaker 6: I'm like, man, I feel like behind a lot of the world in terms of how a lot of teenagers or college age athletes are like already very like in that zone you know, of like pro at least in like a filter of a pro team whatever in Europe. That happened yet and I was not. I was learning a lot at one time. So that was kind of my and then I just never looked back and kept playing overseas and national team in the summers.
Speaker 5: Wow. So like mentally going through that, like how did you if you felt like you were behind, how did you like fight kind of day by day or like what did you do that kept you going? It was it like the little wins of like, Okay, I see myself improving, so yeah, let me see where I can get too.
Speaker 6: I think it helped that there was quite a few girls on Team Canada at the same time as me, all kind of starting out, that were young and had a lot of potential, and we were in the similar boat of sort of like we feel a little bit underprepared for the position that we're in, but let's kind of go see what we can do and how good we can get. So there was a very like unified mindset, I would say, from myself and some of the other girls my age on the national team and together it was kind of like, how can we, like, can we get good enough to maybe compete at an international level and maybe go to the Olympics. And that was like very much still in the forefront of all of our minds, like how good can we get as fast as possible, with the huge bonus of the fact that we were all playing a lot of volleyball four team Canada because we just don't have a huge pool of athletes to choose from. So even though we weren't maybe I was very unrefined when I was on the court playing for Canada in my first couple of years, and but there was there wasn't really I just that was this spot I was in and you kind of learned by I don't know, doing it, and that helped us a lot.
Speaker 4: I think like putting ourselves in those spots.
Speaker 2: So I think, yeah, players here, we have the luxury now be able to come out of college and still play at home and be part of the Love League or the other league that's also in play. But what's some of the advice that you would give to, like athletes who aren't going to stay at home, who are going to go overseas abroad the first year and going to get kind of dive right into a different culture.
Speaker 1: Shock would be some of your vices.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's such a good question because there's such a big part of me that's like, oh, man, I would never have left if I'm a huge homebody. I'm like, this is so amazing. But then at the same time, it's very hard for me to ignore the fact that I'm like, I don't I don't know if I would be the player I am today had I not been through it overseas, because you are like there's a lot of pressure, there's a lot expected of you as a foreigner, and it's like the importance of succeeding and winning overseas is way way more extreme than what we experience in like the culture of North America, at least what I've experienced.
Speaker 4: So there's it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, oh man, I love being thrown into that, and like, you have to figure this out, like you don't. There's no other option, there's no complaining, there's no like, there's just make it happen. And I think for girls that are considering what to do, there's a bazillion factors that obviously would affect my what kind of.
Speaker 4: Advice I would give for a girl.
Speaker 6: But I just think there is value in going overseas still, and there is like a grit I think that you develop that is much harder to develop if you stay, I guess in the comfortable home experience. However, that being said, I'm like, there's also so so much beauty.
Speaker 4: Obviously, I'm in it. I'm here.
Speaker 6: I'm I chose not to be overseas right now because I love being home and I love all the.
Speaker 4: Pros that come with that. So just there's pros on both sides.
Speaker 5: How's it going with the Austin team, And I don't know, just like what's all the stuff that's up with your guys's team, And yeah, back up and tell me all the team secrets.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, we have so many.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, we have all these secret plays that we haven't shown anyone yet.
Speaker 5: I know this week.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you went there this week.
Speaker 5: I'm just kidding you, guys. Let us have our first.
Speaker 1: They need a win, so you know.
Speaker 4: They heard that. I didn't realize that. I just heard that today and I was like, that's tough.
Speaker 2: She needed that, you know, that need that.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 4: We're all big, one big happy family here, right.
Speaker 5: But it was cool playing in the Spurs arena.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was amazing. I was so impressed. Like the crowds in general here have been like texts loves volleyball, and I love that it makes such a difference for us, Like, I don't know, it's been so fun. Our team is such a good time.
Speaker 6: I really really love like our I don't know culture, Like it's really easy to be around every day like it, I don't know, it's like such a good balance of like this matters, so like let's give one hundred percent and then also but like but we're people and let's really invest into that. I find that's been amazing, really fun. I'm laughing all the time. We're really goofy and goofy and gritty at the same time.
Speaker 4: Like it's it's really fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you guys have the top to bottom just so many pieces, Like you have so much talent on your team. I can imagine practice has just got to be like a dog fight every day, which is so great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good to your environment.
Speaker 2: I think also, just like speaking of last year, the vallball piece of it for us last year was big, but it was like almost overwhelming to think about because.
Speaker 1: We weren't here. But Maddy knows that our season last year was kind of very up and down to the very last second of the.
Speaker 5: Season, of the very last championship last.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I think now volleyball is still like a big peace of our gym. But it's like we welcome like that part of it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like now it's like to practice. It's not like yeah, like I want to practice day, like I feel good about going in every day. I was almost like, yeah, there's a lot of beeping right now.
Speaker 5: But you're beeping out everyone.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of all all all, but like I agree with you. Our camaraderie and just like come into the gym. It's just it's a healthy space. It's so healthy, it's real.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 5: What's the most surprising thing about having Kat as a teammate?
Speaker 4: Great question. I think, like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I've had lots of teammates who are like hype man and like so fun and goofy, and then I've had lots of teammates who are like locked in and really like helping the tactical side of like volleyball, very rarely to get both, and that's been like very surprisingly in an amazing way, Like wow, you can, Kat can really do both, almost like simultaneously, which is crazy. I'm like, okay, it's not even like ones turning off and ones on. It's like, no, you're just like equally hype man, goofy, silly making it light as like but like protect.
Speaker 2: Your yeah, yeah, I'm just coasting. I was one thing I saw my mom of the day. I was like, for me, I'm like my feelings, I'm so in tune with them. It's like I don't try to fight off how I'm feeling. If I'm in a really good mood. I want everyone up around me to very like in a good move. I'm in a really bad mood. I have to be extra more happy to make sure that I'm not, you know what I mean. So I'm having a really day, a really bad day.
Speaker 1: But like if I'm like cool happy, yeah, I'm actually thank you. That was really nice. Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was really sweet.
Speaker 1: Wow, I was kidding justly nice about me.
Speaker 4: Now let's just go around the circle.
Speaker 5: Okay, what are some off the court habits that you've developed that help you on the court?
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 6: I love life outside of volleyball. I'm not like an obsessive person at all. So the things I love like being, I love practice, I love being there, and then as soon as I'm out of there, I'm like not, I'm not like a think about practice kind of girl.
Speaker 4: Doesn't affect my day at all.
Speaker 6: I'm like ready to like be normal, normal life, bree So habits like I think that's the best version of me. If I feel like things are lingering, I think the habit that I've developed is like, then just go address it right away, like what is it? And either I'm talking to my husband about it or I'm journaling about it or I'm talking to a teammate, whatever it is, like kind of like clearing it up so that I can get to a point where I'm like, Okay, I'm good and now I can reset. And if I don't do that, I can I feel it becoming exactly what Kat said, like this is a drag, this is.
Speaker 4: Weighing me down.
Speaker 6: I feel foggy, I don't feel light, and so so I think the biggest thing for me is, I guess, yeah, just like letting practice be practice or game be game, and then fully being free outside of volleyball and filling up that tank.
Speaker 4: In lots of ways.
Speaker 6: But yeah, that's kind of I would say the most important habit I've been developing here and as I've grown up in as an athlete.
Speaker 2: With your habits, would you say, like your biggest leadership skills that you have or how do you see yourself as a leader showing up for your team our team.
Speaker 6: I think the biggest thing is being like the same bree every day, just like consistent, reliable that people know what they're going to get.
Speaker 4: Like I don't.
Speaker 6: I really don't want to be that girl that's like, oh, you know, can't talk to her today or like you know, standoffish.
Speaker 4: I like leading from like a.
Speaker 6: Open warm like I guess friendship base, and if I'm not doing that, I'm not in a good headspace. Like so I would say that I think obviously as a setter, it really matters that I have a relationship with everyone on the team, and.
Speaker 4: That takes time.
Speaker 6: Obviously with a brand I've never played with. I've just played with Molly on this team before, so just all that like how can I make you the best.
Speaker 4: Version of yourself? Obviously in volleyball, but then emotionally all that matters a lot too.
Speaker 6: So figuring out how quickly can I figure that out about my teammates has been a big focus.
Speaker 5: Do you have like a best way of developing the relationship hitter setter connection, like something that you like to do from the beginning or throughout the season.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think number one thing is that it's like, it's not about me, And that's such a like cliche thing, but it's really hard to constantly remind yourself that, like, it's not about Brie, like I, this is about my hitters being the best that they can be.
Speaker 4: They are going to score the point.
Speaker 6: So if they're not happy, then that's my responsibility, you know, if they don't like the ball, whatever it is, and just that this like collaborative, Like we are a team, me and Kat if i'm setting her, we're a team here fully a team.
Speaker 4: It's never me against Kat. It's always Brian Kat together to score, you know.
Speaker 6: And I think that like it's just so easy to become like to get offended, and and that comes obviously there's absolutely moments where I feel like, no, that was your fault and like in my head and like figure it out. Stop stop making errors. And usually when that's my thoughts, I'm like, Bree, you're not good. This is not Brie at her best right now. And just I guess finding that like humility of like no, this is it's a collaborative thing, and it's my job to make them feel good and in rhythm. And if they don't feel in rhythm, then I need to do something different. It's not I don't know. I think that's the biggest thing that mindset.
Speaker 2: And you're really good at that, I think, and you come from the way you say it's in a way that we understand that, like you're trying to like, find what we want, what we need, you know what I mean? And that's through every play. I think I get a lot from most letters. Most setters aren't at like talking to communicative that she is. And when she wants that connection, she's like, hey, what do you need.
Speaker 1: That a little harder? Okay, little higher those little bachelors.
Speaker 2: Let me know and we understand all that kind of It's such a good It's it's great to have that in the cetter as an attacker.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that feedback loop is so important.
Speaker 1: So any expectations for the season or any personal goals that you have for yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: My personal goal is I want to like help this team as much as I possibly can and be the best for the team that I am capable of being.
Speaker 4: And that is such a broad but it is. It's so many things.
Speaker 6: It's like it's on off court, buying into everything we're doing, systems and structure and game and schedule, all the things like how can bree I want to look back and be like, man, I gave my like the best effort I.
Speaker 4: Could to this team for this time. I obviously love winning, so that'd be great to do a lot of that.
Speaker 6: I also love, like, I feel like there's quite a few girls on this team that are still like fresh in their careers, and I love the thought of hopefully helping them take like that next step forward. Probably doesn't look like me like helping them, Oh here's how you you know, do this or that. That's not all what I'm saying, but just like being a part of that journey of I'm like, oh, I'd be so cool if one of them looked back and was like, oh, that season like playing with Brie, that I felt like I really took a.
Speaker 4: Step forward in my you know, who I was as a player. I think about that a lot.
Speaker 6: So that's probably on the forefront of my mind to and just being like, I don't know, we're humans and I'm married, my husband's here. We have like a space to like host and I want to be like a I don't know, if someone's in trouble that they want to be around us too. That's like always important to me. So that's so nice that he's there.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, wow, he's American, so it's really ideal for us. He's home.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, wait, that's amazing, well cool, Oh my gosh, you guys. I'm kind of jealous. You guys get to be on the same team together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're in a good situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey whatever. Well, okay, so our updated standings then of the league right now put Salt Lake in first. Then you guys, you guys got knocked off the top as Nebraska Atlanta and we're still holding it down.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: Down down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're holding it down at the bottom. But watch out because we are climbing. Okay, believe you and Cat and Kat owes me a nice dinner because we didn't make it in the first episode. We made it that in the first episode. It's fine, Kat was talking. Sorry, bleep, it's fine, it's fine, all right, this has been serving pancakes. I'm Mattie Rischel, and I'm Kat Bell and I'm Bret or Riley. And we'll catch you on the flip side. Okay, okay, Oh my gosh, that was so fun talking with Free.
Speaker 1: She's so great. She's so cute too.
Speaker 5: She seems just like a really in tune teammate and like a great person to have on your team. She's very self aware. Yeah, I would say Breeze done a really good job.
Speaker 2: Bar is like also, can I help merging the gap between like coaching and like the players and stuff. You know, Brie is a fighter, like she's the one of the rest going to talk to them now one and also like you know, she's the one that's asking the right questions when it comes to like whatever systems are running and offensive were running. So she's a great leader and a great tomate to have definitely the season.
Speaker 5: So yeah, you guys are lucky to have her. All right, do you want to like pivot into something more serious? Let's just go.
Speaker 1: Ahead and get into it.
Speaker 2: Since since we go in here, I think it's funny, how like, let's let's talk about this Texas showdown.
Speaker 5: Okay, shown at the Spurs Stadium.
Speaker 2: First of all, when the lights went out and they had that QR code that had all the lights, that was that was cool.
Speaker 5: Actually, I was like looking around, like, whoa, I feel like I'm out an NBA game right now. I'm for real. I had a lot of fans too, I.
Speaker 2: Know, surprisingly, especially with the snowstorm kind of coming and hitting us too. Like people, they showed up and showed out for us, but we didn't show up and show out for the people.
Speaker 5: That's okay, but everyone was like screaming my name at the end, and then I was like, wait, they're all screaming for Maddie's skinner. Yeah, everyone's just like Maddie, Maddie, And I'm like, I gotta leave this building.
Speaker 1: Living in a false reality.
Speaker 5: Oh dang. Okay, but like, honestly, it was a good way on.
Speaker 1: Let me get this off.
Speaker 2: I think it's so because you know, you guys if you guys don't know you guys listening and tuning in. You know, when you're at the hotel at end of the day, we're all friends, you know what I mean. So you're at the hotel, you're gonna go to your friend's room on different team.
Speaker 1: To talk to them. I me different coffee whatever.
Speaker 2: And like, obviously I have close relationships with JT, Micah, Jess music as well me in your team. Oh yeah, obviously Maddie. Anyway, so you know I always like go hang out with them. Well, we're all to get the hotels together, so I end up going to their room. And what's funny, it's like we're all just kind of sitting sitting around catching up and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, well, like now let's talk about how we suck and all started laughing. We just think we don't suck.
Speaker 5: We just we needed to build.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all start laughing.
Speaker 2: And then somehow it got like onto something else and I came back and I was like, no, let's go back to how much we.
Speaker 1: Go and move y'all yest tomorrow, and we're all they're all like this, like you know, and we lost.
Speaker 5: There we go see you talking that and okay, I don't know. We're just gonna throw it back to the first episode that we ever did of this where Kat and I did make a bet about this game. As we recall, we made a bet that Kat or I would have to buy the other one a nice dinner depending on who won that match. And so I'm looking to go to Nobu, I'm looking to go to Carbon.
Speaker 2: We call this even since I never got my three herd dollar tomahawk steak Maselo.
Speaker 5: You didn't earn it.
Speaker 1: My god, We're not going to call this even.
Speaker 5: I'll take the meal anyway. Okay, So I'm really thankful to Jordan for just popping her.
Speaker 1: Jordan had a game. She always him, My gosh, she played well.
Speaker 5: She's playing great.
Speaker 1: Really literally.
Speaker 2: I also say we had multiple conversations about how we're supposed to be blocking JT, and we did not do what we talked about.
Speaker 5: That's okay, because you know what, but he's so she's not one dimensional, you know, of course not well this this, this, this.
Speaker 2: Particular note that we did for some what's gonna at least help us, like at least try to survive and like bandage her a little bit better. And then after a while, definitely within that third set, it was just like one on one hole in the blog. One point, j T hit like ten foot line at least like five times in a row, and I was like, come on, sign out, next ball, next ball. But okay, that's the first time we got to run for our money. Bench versus bench bench.
Speaker 5: Oh our bench was killing it. Yeah, oh hell yeah.
Speaker 2: They were getting live, they were getting roundy. But we couldn't really celebrate the way we wanted to because we really got ahead.
Speaker 1: But it's fine. Practice is perfect.
Speaker 2: Next game, Next game, February seventh, Texas, show.
Speaker 5: What's your other? You have a game before that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we're talking about next game versus our next game. Yea, we have two next.
Speaker 2: Games where we see you. We are heading to salt Lake this week to play salt Lake at salt Lake. Back to the cold we go. We just left Madison this past week and we're on the road for the whole week. Then we're heading up to Nebraska right off Salt Lake.
Speaker 5: So, so, what do you guys feel like after this game against us that you need to do going forward?
Speaker 1: Gold flipping around Goldfish memory for sure. Like I said, there were a lot of things I think we were a little bit confused about from a scattering port until going into the match, and we didn't know that until after the match, which was bad on us. Obviously, no excuses. Houston did, y'all won? Y'all did? Y'all's big one.
Speaker 5: Can't wait for my meal.
Speaker 1: So definitely just being more on.
Speaker 2: The same page about what we were going on scattering port and I feel like Dopus memory. You know, we're such a really good team. We want to bring that fire and that grid that we have in the gym every day onto the floor.
Speaker 1: So that's like the number one thing. But what about you? How are you gonna Are you gonna ride this high all the way?
Speaker 5: This was good energy for us. I'm telling you, we really we needed this we I think that you know, okay, okay, the energy was shifted definitely from our first being zero and three is really challenging because you're like, okay, if we lose another one, now we're four in the hole and that's just tough. So I think that we were just like the energy has to change. We knew that going forward. But then also like executing our scout I think was huge, and that was something that we talked about. So I think just energy wise and execution wise, like we were pretty on. Everyone was very locked in. I would say, for that match, I think that's the most like focus and in tune and together that we've played so far. So I think we just have to build on that.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'll see it again ten times over. No One talks a lot about your Libero. Your Libero is very very good. She's doing well, she told around. She's new, this is her first year, so like, I'm super proud of her. And then we have our other D she's playing kind of like DS position that went in and like their energy shift I think was huge, huge for us, and so yeah, we just we need to ride this momentum wave hopefully and just continue building on what we have, so yeah, hopefully good things coming. But it definitely felt nice to get one under the belt because then you're like, Okay, we have something, we can do it, and then just keep stoking the fire you guys have coming up next we go to Atlanta tomorrow and then we're back here.
Speaker 1: That gym is sick. That Atlanta gym is sick.
Speaker 5: Atlanta gym. Yeah, it looks really cool. I think we have them. And then Madison, I want to say, okay, someone can fact check me on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: Someone producers around. Do you do you prepare differently for away games versus home games?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think now I'm I'm not doing tunnel walks if I'm if I'm not in state, I should say, or at home.
Speaker 1: So packing is a little bit lighter for sure.
Speaker 2: Preparation As far as like going into the match, No, you know, I'm still even though like I'm on the bench, I'm still getting up in the morning, working out before the serving passed, going to serving pass, trying to tack at least thirty thirty walls plus in serving pass, and then just drunk in my rhythm. But Mom always says, make sure you stay ready. So we have to get ready, but stay ready to them to get ready, Yang than that.
Speaker 5: I got to get that tatted.
Speaker 1: It on your forehead.
Speaker 5: To get ready. I feel like I'm similar home or away. I just got to make sure I got to get a good meal and then maybe a napped if that's what my body demands. If not, I don't need it. Like it really depends on the day. We're at Atlanta on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: So we're both on the road, and then we meet you at Houston.
Speaker 5: Yes, and we have some tough competition because first of all, Atlanta's pretty good and Madison, Madison is killing it right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also really sorry on a PELGANI ar Liberro from last year, who at Madison she got and Anna, we love you, we wish you Akati speed recovery, our hardest with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then you guys have salt Lake, so they're they're doing their things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see Haiti popped off this past week too.
Speaker 5: I know there's running that offense. They're they're gonna they're forced to be reckoned with. So I hope that you guys give it your best.
Speaker 1: Did you play them?
Speaker 5: We played them twice and we lost both times, So.
Speaker 1: We can learn to watch your video of What Not to Do? Got it?
Speaker 5: We only beat you, guys, and that sweep that one time at the Spurs Stadium in front of your home crowd. That's our only win.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, on the one win that you have the entire season. That's true. Okay, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 5: Did you like how it vote? Our next home game will be against you at home, and I'm so excited about that.
Speaker 2: And that's what we'll do, a Texas showdown, and that's when we're we where our Texas showed down on outfits.
Speaker 1: And then that's where I'm gonna stay. Am I staying with you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You can sleep over whatever. Yeah, I gotta get some boots and maybe like a hat.
Speaker 1: Are you getting a hat? Because I have a hat.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I saw your face lighted up and I was gonna wear a cowboy hat and your face weight.
Speaker 5: Oh are you cat in the hat?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be It's okay.
Speaker 2: We're gonna need a hat anyways, because we're gonna wear the hat at night anyway, So I should wear a hat.
Speaker 5: Okay, I gotta get a hat, a.
Speaker 1: Real cowboy hat, not like the fake one.
Speaker 5: Hey, Takoba's if you're listening to this please, you.
Speaker 1: Can't put in blap bla bla bla bae blate.
Speaker 5: I'm getting a spam.
Speaker 1: Call the bill collector.
Speaker 5: It's Takoba's. They're calling me. But anyway, we are excited about the remainder of the season, what we have coming up. Let us know what you want to see next and good luck this week you too, Love you so much. I love you, Catch you.
Speaker 1: Moms in back, Love you Battie, Love you Regina.
Speaker 5: We'll catch you on the flip side.
Speaker 2: Hey, Serving Pancakes is an iHeart women's sports production and partnership with Deep Blue Sports Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast. Production by the League one Volleyball, we're your hosts, Kat Beell and Mattie Rachelle.
Speaker 1: See you on the flip side.