Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Imagine This a climate damage world where advertising funded robots known as Hum's, provide all the manual, labor and constant surveillance over society. Maywebb has just lost her job to AI and is now using proceeds from an experimental operation to take her family on a holiday to one of the last bits of nature left a botanical garden. This is the World of Hum, a novel by the author Helen Phillips and the winner of the twenty twenty six Climate Fiction Prize. It's a book where anxiety is about AI, climate and capitalism collide. Helen is a professor of creative writing at New York's Brooklyn College and has written six books. I got the opportunity to ask her about the inspiration for HUM and how she's used her own anxieties to fuel her writing. This is Zero. I'm Akshadrati This week how climate fiction is Expanding. This is the latest episode in Zero's Imagine series exploring how art is interpreting the climate crisis. You can find the previous episodes in the series with authors like Kim Stanley, Robinson, Abi Dhari and George Saunders linked in the show notes, here's my interview with Helen Phillips. Helen, Welcome to Zero.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure to be here. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Now, without spoiling it, can you just give a brief summary of Hum to the listeners who may not have read the book already.
Speaker 1: Of course, So Hum begins with the protagonist may losing her job to artificial intelligence and desperate to make money for her family, she becomes a guinea pig in an experiment that alters her face so that it can't be recognized by surveillance, and with the proceeds from this strange operation, she buys her family three night passes to this one beautiful remaining green space within their city of the future, where there are still animals and wilderness for her children to experience. That it is, as I said, said in a somewhat dystopian future, though many readers have told me it is fairly recognizable and significantly, the world, alongside humans is inhabited by super intelligent embodied robots called hums, hence the title.
Speaker 2: It was a really fun read. It's super fast based, and yes, I mean dystopian parts come through in the story for sure, but there are also funny parts. There are these vignettes, as your readers have told you, which are completely recognizable, like the face that people make when they get sucked into their phone, which we see all around us as we're traveling or commuting, or then these like strange interactions that we have at least with chatboards these days, but essentially ones that you would have with robots as well. There's just something off about the conversation, like instantly recognizable and really lovely scenes. But if we focus on the climate side of this, because in your description that doesn't play a central role in the plot of the story, but it is there constantly in the background and in direct ways as people are either reading the news about it, the characters are dealing with air quality. How much did you have to think about what it is climate is doing in this story.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that, for better or worse, one of my greatest inspirations as a writer is my anxiety, and that's very much true with this novel. When I was setting out to write Ham, I was anxious very much about climate change. I was anxious about artificial intelligence. I was anxious about the future that we are creating for our children, and so that climate anxiety really suffuses the whole book, as you say, in all sorts of little ways that her, my protagonist, May has a daughter who's very anxious to go outside when the air quality is poor, and is really keyed into that and checks that every morning to see what the air quality is. Even the fact that May spends all of this money quite foolishly, I might add, she does not have the money to spare to go to the botanical gardens, but because her children don't have a lot of ways to access nature because of the detriment of the environment, this is such a priority to her that she spends her money in this way. So that climate anxiety is just prevalent in so many different elements of the story.
Speaker 2: And as someone who writes about climate change a lot, there are aspects of climate change that make me anxious. There are aspects of trying to tackle climate change that make me very excited. But on the anxiety side, why is it useful to write about the anxiety?
Speaker 1: Well, I think for one, it's cathartic just to acknowledge that anxiety and to bring it out into the open. I think that for a lot of people it's something that just adds an anxious hum to our days, but maybe we try to look away from it because it feels like there's not a ton you can do about it. So one is just bringing it out and for myself processing that anxiety that I do feel on a daily basis. We've had quite a summer here in the United States, as people are having all over the world, but a lot of wildfires burning in the United States and Canada. We've had a real expansion and where ticks are living because of climate change, just a lot of changes that people are living with extreme heat and all of that. So one reason to write a book that has climate anxiety and it is to just create a way to begin a conversation about that. And then also in the process of writing the book and beginning with that climate anxiety, I read a lot about it, and I feel like the more you read, as you say, the more anxietnciety, but also the more solutions you begin to see. So the research process itself was extremely meaningful to me in rather than just having this be an ambient anxiety, actually coming to understand more what the situation is and educating myself about it.
Speaker 2: There is a tendency that people have and this has been the case for a long time now, of turning off on bad environmental stories because most people don't feel like there's agency they can't do anything about it. But when it comes to AI, I don't sense the same thing from the readers. Even though you know there are plenty of AI dystopian stories to go around, and the harms it's doing through the climate and the environment, and the harms it's doing to people's way of thinking to maybe social connections, etc. There is still appetite for people to want to engage with that story, which they don't seem to have with climate. Why is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know why that is, and I think it does have something to do with just the vastness of climate change and the complexity of both the natural systems and the political systems that would enable change to happen. I think that it can feel so overwhelming to think that human's activities are changing our beloved planet in such profound and really it feels like often uncontrollable ways. So I think it is a big question for anyone thinking about climate, and any journalists and any scientist, how do you talk about climate without filling people with such despair that there's a feeling of nihilism that comes with that. In terms of AI and people willingness, I think you're saying to engage with AI narratives and maybe even feel scared of AI in a more active way. I wonder if that's because AI just feels extremely present in our everyday lives. I think climate, for me, climate change does too. But you do a search and suddenly GPT is speaking to you. It's just it's really becoming so ever present. I think both AI and climate are ever present, but maybe the AI is even a little bit more in our faces at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really interesting. It's sort of climate change is all pervasive but still a little bit far away, whereas AI is all pervasive and a little bit too close, and that makes people think a lot more. You talk about the duality of technology a lot in those stories. So you have this moment where May warrants her children and her husband do not be tight to their vices, and so she takes those away, and then in the process there are problems that come through. They're not able to do basic things, and so there are advantages that technologies bring, but also disadvantages that technologies bring that duality makes the story interesting, whereas climate change feels like a thing that just is bad. There is there's really no duality to it. How do you make a story be interesting if there isn't a duality? So how do you break the climate story interesting?
Speaker 1: Well? I first want to speak on your first point about the duality of tech in the book, which was extremely important to me when I was writing. I do not consider hum an anti tech book because of the very thing you said when she tries to separate her family from their technology, problems ensue from that. We are so enmeshed with these both miraculous and dangerous technologies all around us that we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. And I actually we gave the book an epigraph on this very subject, so I want to share it with you and your listeners. The quote is from Paracelsus, who was a physician and alchemist, so this person was not writing about technology, but I think this quote is very relevant to our technologies and actually to climate change too. So the quote is poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy. And this idea that anything can be a poison and anything can be a remedy. It's all about how we use it. So it's not we can't stop using our earth. We have to in order to survive, but how can we use it in a way that is healthy and harmonious. And the same with our tech. We can't stop using technology, but how can we use it in a way that makes it a remedy rather than a poison. I think about this all the time, and this duality is very important to me in hum and in my own life. How do we find some kind of balance with our environment and our technology.
Speaker 2: If you read the most recent IPCC, the Intergovernmental Panel Climate Change Report, if you read about what happens if we actually tackle climate change and reach in at zero by twenty fifty or even twenty seventy, is that the whole series of good things happen. Beyond just helping us protect and preserve some of the climate that we can over these next few decades, the air just becomes a lot cleaner than it ever was, even when we weren't worried about climate change. You know, people become much more resilient and being able to live to their full potential because they are now living in environments that are you know, for example, air conditioning will become much more accessible to poor people as a result of us pushing more efficient electric technologies. Solar power becomes you know, essentially the base power source for humanity, which it should be eventually, but just becomes so much more quickly because we are pushing for clean, renewable energy and thus reaches people who don't currently have access to energy. So there is a duality of climate being a good driving force for solutions, but that didn't come through in the book. To me, there were no climate solutions that I could spot in the book, whereas I could spot like the dystopian nature of tech, but also like the advantages that technology brings, like at one point the robot when it's paid for its ad free version, it's just so much nicer to talk to and so much more empathetic and so wise that you could actually eat, sit down and have dinner with it. But doesn't quite track for like the solution side of climate. Was that a deliberate choice? Like did you not want to talk about the fact that we are doing something to try and tackle climate change.
Speaker 1: In a way? I think what you're getting at with this point about climate change not having the duality that I've put in the book in terms of the artificial intelligence and technology gets at the point that for me, the climate change elements of the book are not the plot of the book, but the setting for the book. I think it is hard to make climate change into a plot, although it is quite dramatic. And now you've given me an interesting thought. What would it be like to write a novel where climate change was literally the central conflict? And how could I find the duality sufficient to drive a narrative forward. So maybe you've now given me my idea for my next book, So thank you for that. But in hum specifically, it is the setting for the book. It is the context. It is it motivates this woman to seek this place for her children. But she is an individual who's actually having a very difficult time. She's not very stable in her life, and she's not in the position to do anything about climate change except here on the news, Oh there's another terrible hurricane, or they're a fire, or her We learn on the first page of the book that her family's home burned in a fire, in a wildfire, and they didn't have money, just very scant insurance payments to buy a new home that wasn't in the forest where they had lived before. So climate change is affecting her in all sorts of ways. But maybe, like we were talking about before, she is just one strained, stressed mother with a lot of financial problems, and she is not able to deeply engage with the climate crisis except to say, let me get my kids so that they can have three nights in a forest, just to see what that's like. I do think that in the end, and I'll try to avoid spoilers here. The home has a moment where it proposes perspective futures, and some of those futures are a little bit solar punk in nature and offer glimpses just like tantalizing glimpses of the world that you're described, where solar panels are more common, and it seems like people have figured out a way to live in greater harmony. But it's really just the most tiny, tantalizing glimpse. And it is by way of the technology, perhaps ironically, that those images enter the book.
Speaker 2: After the break. Summer is here, and so is the reading season. I ask Helen Phillips for a few of her favorite book recommendations. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please take a moment to rate and review the show on witchevera platform you're listening on. Recently, listener Chevy Bolt wrote, every show seems informative without being augmentative. That's a gift, thanks, Chevy. I hope you're enjoying listening to this in your car. The AI aspect of it also brings with it sort of helplessness in May's life. You know, her job is taken away, and then suddenly, in the process of resolving the issues she faces, she has to give up so much of her life's data essentially to AI so that it can process it. There is a helplessness to the system being all pervasive and all controlling. You know, one aspect that you don't clearly define, but it's there. The private enterprises use HUM and the government uses HUM, and they intershare the data without actually there be any barriers between a private or a public enterprise. And that's sort of like very unsettling a future. But one aspect of this which I wanted to understand is there is no political dissent in this world. It doesn't feel like, you know, you'd never talk about like a trillionaire that's like all controlling of this AI, or a president who is controlling of the system. Was that a choice to not have like a point of focus for the other problems that AI brings.
Speaker 1: I did think about that, what is the political situation in this world? And it is completely off screen. The one thing we do learn early on in the book is that the AI, the hums, the embodied robots were created by a private corporation that has figured out how to embody the brain of the network in these really graceful and beautiful and sculptural robot bodies. So it is, as you just pointed out, and I think this is very important, it is a private company, but it's working so closely with the government that it's almost like there's no division or separation between the two. This is, like many things in the book, drawn from our own reality, where that is happening so much all the time. I think to something that I experienced just as a human and as a consumer, is these new technologies are just released upon us so quickly and surprisingly, and suddenly they're there and you're just living with them, and you've never had any time to think about it or prepare yourself for this fact that suddenly, when you do a Google search, it's giving you this intricate AI answer. You never signed up for it. So just this feeling that, whether it's the government or a corporation, suddenly you are in a new reality with a new technology, and you never even agreed to do it, and it's just there in your life.
Speaker 2: Talk me through things that you changed your mind on, because as a writer, we almost used writing as a way to process what's happening to us in the world. You've specifically talked about how you use writing to deal with anxiety. But having done a long project, did you change your mind on any of the aspects of either AI, or capitalism or climate.
Speaker 1: I think that one of the most interesting examples of that for this particular book was early in the writing process, I went to a talk given by the writer and professor Arthur I. Miller at Brooklyn College where I teach, and he had just published his book The Artist in the Machine with MIT, which is a fascinating book about the positive potential of human and AI collaborations. I believe it was published in twenty nineteen, which now feels so long ago in terms of where we are with Ai now. But his book and his talk and then our subsequent email exchange really enabled me to move away from the knee jerk reaction I have and I think a lot of people have, and you can see it in popular culture the robots are here to destroy us all and a little bit more towards what are the possibilities for collaboration that could be very meaningful. I still don't know about that, but but it definitely enabled me to build the character of the HUM with a lot more nuance and compassion. And one thing that I've experienced is people who read the book have a lot of different reactions to the HUM, and their reactions change over the course of the book, and that's very valuable to me. That sometimes you're scared of the HUM and find it sinister, like this spy, and sometimes the HUM is extremely cute and charming and delightful. And then as you say, once you turn off the advertising feature becomes very wise and insightful. And this is how I feel about technologies. All of those different reactions, all of those different feelings, are feelings that I have towards technology. Sort of somewhere between this is terrifying and this is miraculous. And I really wanted the character of the hum to embody that, and Miller's book helped me arrive there.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not core to our conversation, but the aspects of how advertising shows up in the book and the all pervasive, seamless, annoying but weirdly interesting moments in which advertising shows up is just fascinating. And I think it is the closest I've seen anybody capture the kind of lives we live today, with how much advertising we're facing as we just go around doing normal things in life, most of them on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a very important and very early aspect of the book, and for me actually a lot of humor derives from it, kind of a dark humor, because may We'll be having what feels like a very intimate conversation with the hum, and then the hum will start trying to sell her things. So you realize, oh, the whole time we were talking, communicating, you were just trying to figure out what you wanted to sell me. So there's humor in that. But also I find that to be one of the least science fictional aspects of the book, and most realistic it's the same we're constantly getting fed targeted advertisements and May. Throughout the first half of the book, the HUM keeps on saying to her, women of a certain age, show their age in their hands. Can I sell you this lotion that will be specifically targeted to your And so in all of these serious moments, this silly ad comes into the conversation. And that's just a way of presenting and making really concrete however present advertising is, and how the technologies that surround us often have as a very central goal that targeted advertising, as we've mentioned a couple of times at the end of the book, may pays quite an exorbitant sum to turn off the hums advertising, as we are often asked to do to pay to turn off advertising in our streaming services. And at that juncture, when the HUM no longer has the advertising agenda, May and the HUM become capable of having a much deeper level of conversation, and in that there's maybe a little bit of a utopian idea of what it is like to or what it could be like to interact with AI that has no agenda except truly consolidating all of the best knowledge and wisdom and empathy of humanity and advising someone with all of that in play, with no advertising agenda.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about AI and writing, you said, you know, we still don't know whether there are ways in which AI can be used for good, but already people are using it for all sorts of things. So in February there was a New York Times profile of an author by the pseudonym Choral Heart, who has used twenty one pen names to publish more than two hundred romance novels, selling around fifty thousand copies and earning six figures. Not mainstream, it's not like it's going on the New York Times Best Salary anytime soon, but it's not unsuccessful either. Like, is this the kind of AI can be used for art that you imagined would be a useful thing to have.
Speaker 1: That's not really what I'm picturing. I suppose I would say. The way I feel about that personal with my own practice, is writing is the thing I do. It's my favorite thing to do with my brain. How incredible to have a human brain, and then how incredible to be able to use it to do this task that is for me, the most challenging task I can set my mind to, and therefore the most interesting task and the most flow state I can get into. I can't imagine outsourcing that particular thing to a machine. It's why would I give away all of that fun and all of that delight and challenge. And certainly as a professor of creative writing, this is something and I was even thinking the other day preparing for the upcoming semester, we really need to talk deeply about this on the first day of class, that as our world becomes more and more automated, our own unique, idiosyncratic trains of thought and the words that we choose to put down become ever more precious and ever greater evidence of our humanity. So I am not interested in using AI in my own writing practice, and I encourage beg my students not to use it either, because I want their voices.
Speaker 2: But when they do, how do you feel?
Speaker 1: I feel like they are robbing themselves of the opportunity to learn how to think. Because writing, for me, especially when they are young writers educating themselves, it's not the final product. It's the thinking that goes into it, and the preciousness of putting your brain in a challenging situation, So I just worry. I've read some things about cognitive decline that people have when they overuse AI. Now I do talk to my students, and of course we have to be practical here. It is an amazing tool, and I'll say to them on the first day of class, I'll give them different examples. Okay, is it appropriate to use AI to write a creative piece in this class? Okay?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is it appropriate to use AI to write a letter to the DMV challenging a parking ticket? Maybe that's fine. Probably that's fine. How one thing that they're always divided on is writing a wedding toast for your best friend. That's usually about half and half. So there are uses, but I think that for the highest kind of thinking and creativity, it is a long term disadvantage to your own brain to rely on AI.
Speaker 2: I am a little surprised about the half a knife on the wedding toast. I mean, well, really depends on how much you love your friend.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's twenty five would use it in seventy five wouldn't. But that one is a little divided sometimes.
Speaker 2: But writing is, and admittedly a very lonely exercise, and in my most frustrating parts of writing, that is the thing that stands out. And you know, you could use AI as an editor. Would that be a good use sort of give me feedback on this new piece of writing that I've done, And I could, I don't have somebody else who will have time to read it.
Speaker 1: Potentially, I haven't used it that way, but I do know I have spoken to former students who have done that after they leave the academic context, they don't have someone to read their work. And I feel like, as with any feedback you ever get, even if it is in a creative writing class with humans, you're always going to take it with a grain of salt. So if you receive editing advice and fifty percent of it is helpful and useful and fifty percent of it is useless, that's fine. So I again, as I said, you know, I'm not anti tech, it's just how do we use it so that it's a remedy and not a poison?
Speaker 2: How do you balance tech in your own life as a writer, You know, focuses something that really is necessary, but tech is also useful and distracting.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that this question in my life as a writer, when I am actually in the active process of writing, I put on a timer and I go into literal focus mode in word and I don't look at the internet. Occasionally, if there's an extremely specific question I have, like about the color of a certain animal, I might quickly look that up, but I am really in the habit as long as the timers on the Internet is pretty much off. But I feel like this question is more relevant actually to being a parent and figuring out how to dose the technologies that my children are exposed to. And it was quite interesting and fairly ironic that right as I was finishing up home, my ten year old daughter said that she wanted to start to walk to school by herself, that she felt ready to do that, and I love that independence. But we live a mile from her school and it's in I live in New York City, in Brooklyn, and so I wasn't sure about letting her go. But then we had the idea if she had a little watch where I could track her and call her and it would be fine for her to walk to school. And we haven't spoken about this, but in the one of the quasi villains of the book is these little bunnies, which are these watches that the children wear and which may takes off of them to go to the botanical gardens. So a lot of the tension in the book springs from the fact that the mother is constantly tracking the children. But then in my own reality of my life, it made a lot of sense and was incredibly relieving and beautiful for me and my daughter that she could walk to school and I could feel comfortable with it. So it's all complicated, but I think this balance of technology, I'm thinking about it all the time. Where is it a tool and where is it a detriment?
Speaker 2: And then, as a writing professor, what is your advice to budding writers want to write about climate change, either incorporating it directly into their stories or indirectly.
Speaker 1: I don't actually, though I personally as a writer have a very significant climate change interest. I don't talk to my students about that very much, but I do expose them to my favorite works about climate change where I feel like a work of fiction has been as subtle and interesting and meaningful as literature should be. So one of those stories that I love to teach is the story Exhalation by the writer Ted Chiang. It is a completely different society from anything we've ever encountered. It's these robots who live in these bodies and they have to breathe in this very particular way. And it's a beautifully executed story. And by the end you realize this robot society is in threat, and so it becomes a metaphor for climate change. But it really sneaks up on you, and that to me is very powerful and more goes deeper, gets deeper into you than a more in your face, like we need to save the climate right now. I feel like literature needs to be it's wonderful, strange, nonlinear sort of circuit as self in order to really have in order to really present climate change, because if it just sounds like a writer is on a soapbox yelling at you, you're going to shut down. First, you need to have a literary experience and an emotional experience, and then you can arrive at some deeper understanding of climate change. Another book that I put in the same category is Samanta Shweblin's book Fever Dream. It's an extraordinary probably my all time favorite book, but it ultimately is about pollution, but it really takes a while to arrive there, and you arrive there in a very interesting way. So those are two that I love to present to my students.
Speaker 2: You are the second winner of the Climate Fiction Prize, which in a way is also telling because it was only about ten years ago that Amitav Ghosh, one of the sort of climate writers who came out with a book The Great Derangement, saying how literature has failed at the task of telling people about the deep crisis that we are in, whether it's direct or indirect. And the fact that there is a Climate Fiction Prize, that there are these finalists, you know, five others who are good books to read, is a confirmation of finally literature correcting itself to try and bring the climate story in different ways. But you are a novelist, You've written multiple novels. What is it that the novel offers that other mediums like TV or film don't.
Speaker 1: I think for me, what the novel offers that's unique is just an incredible intimacy with a character's mind and train of thought and lived experience, which in film you're watching them from outside, which can be wonderful. And I love I love movies, I love TV. But the novel, you're just it's in your brain and you're in the character's brain, and there's just it's a unique level of intimacy. And so if May is feeling anxious about taking her children outside because of the air quality, and her daughter is upset about it, you're really feeling my intention, my hope, my dream is that you are feeling that feeling with her as though it is your own feeling. It becomes your own feeling. So that's for novels and short stories too. I feel that that intimacy is the greatest strength.
Speaker 2: And it is the end of July when we are recording a lot of people listening, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, are going to go on summer holidays. Are there book recommendations that you would have for people?
Speaker 1: I love this question. So one book I just read that was released recently that is about the future of life on Earth is Earth seven by dev Olen Unfirth. And another book I read this summer that I had never encountered before, although it was published in Taiwan in nineteen ninety six, but is a very interesting climate book and technology book is The Membranes by Chi Taiwei. Interestingly, both of the books I've just recommended involve humans living on the floor of the ocean, so if that is a particular interest, I recommend those, but they're both very interesting. And then of course I will add the works I've mentioned Fever Dream by Samantha Schweblin, Exhalation by Ted Cheeing, and The Uninhabitable Earth by David Wallace Wells, so you'll be all set for your climate anxiety reading. But they're all joyful books in their own way too.
Speaker 2: Thank you Helen, of course, and thank you for listening to zero now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of a printing press cutting the pages of a freshly printed novel. If you like this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our. Theme music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Samrsadi, Laura Milan, Summer Maxwell, and Alissa McDonald. I'm Akshatrati back soon.