Speaker 1: I'm Noah, I'm Devin, and this is no such thing. The show we set on our dumb arguments and yours by actually doing the research. Today's episode, well, a I take our jobs.
Speaker 2: There's no no such thing, no such thing, no such thing.
Speaker 3: Touch thank no touch thank.
Speaker 1: So it seems like every week I'm reading headlines or seeing interviews about how AI is going to take every single one of our jobs.
Speaker 4: Thousands of new layoffs in the tech industry, and the companies say it's largely because of AI.
Speaker 5: Even with AI at its current state, I'd say you're pretty close to being able to replace half full jobs.
Speaker 1: So on today's episode, we're gonna take a peek under the hood just to see how close AI is to actually replacing us. And we're gonna chat with two guys who started a real company run entirely by AI agents. But before we do that, we're gonna call up our good pal, Manny. So if you missed it, Many's been out for a few weeks on paternity to leave after he and his wife Mia welcomed a beautiful baby girl, Lula, last month. So let's give Manny a call to see how parenthood is treating him.
Speaker 6: Hey, this is Manny, Hey, Manny, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Not much, man, We're in a studio. It's me and Noah here recording. Just wanted to check in and see how are things going with the baby?
Speaker 6: Oh man, things are. They're wild in the best possible way. Lula's got us completely recalibrated. Like I used to think I understood time, you know, I'm literally writing a book about it, but baby time is its own dimension entirely. We're operating on nap schedules and feeding windows now, and honestly, it makes everything I thought I knew about punctuality seem quaint. But yeah, she's amazing. Exhausting, but amazing. How are things in the studio with you guys?
Speaker 7: Things are great. We you know, just chucking along. We miss you.
Speaker 8: I hope everything's good with you know, you and the fam. I know your parents are visiting. How did that go?
Speaker 9: Ah?
Speaker 6: Man, I really appreciate that. Miss you guys too. Honestly, sometimes I'm like, wait, what day is it? And then I remember I'm supposed to be a functional adult who co hosts the podcast. Yeah, my parents' visiting was it was actually great? You know, there's something surreal about watching your parents meet your kid, Like suddenly you're seeing them in this whole new light and they're doing that thing where they give you advice ice that you definitely ignored when you were younger, but now you're like, oh wait, that's actually useful. It's been good, though, chaotic, but good. How's Noah holding down the fort?
Speaker 1: You know he's all right? Uh, you know he's doing he's doing. Okay, let's put it that way. I don't got too many kind things to say about.
Speaker 10: No not on Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't really like that guy.
Speaker 6: Hah, oh man, I love that energy. Nothing says we're a functional team, like barely tolerating your coworker. Right, that's honestly the foundation of every great creative partnership. Just simmering resentment and the occasional moment of the grudging respect. What to do this time? Did he like pitch another segment idea that made you question everything? Or is this just general Noah being Noah stuff?
Speaker 10: Just generally I don't like the guy, Yeah, just resentment?
Speaker 1: Real quick, Manny, We're I want to start this episode with a hot take.
Speaker 10: Give us, give us your your latest hot take?
Speaker 6: Oh man, okay, uh hot take right off the top. All right, here we go. I think we've all collectively decided that being busy is a personality trait, and it's made us worse at literally everything. Like everyone's always like, oh, I'm so slammed, I'm so overwhelmed, But then we also brag about it. It's become this weird flex where if you're not drowning, you're somehow not important enough. And the thing is nothing actually good comes from that state, Like all the best ideas, the best conversation, is the best work. It happens when you have space to think. But we've built this whole culture around glorifying chaos, and then we wonder why everything feels half baked and nobody can focus for more than thirty seconds. I don't know. Maybe that's just me projecting because I'm on paternity leave and realizing that doing less is actually kind of revolutionary. How's that too spicy for the top of the show.
Speaker 7: I think that's okay, it's not that spicy.
Speaker 10: That's a good one. Thanks many, All right, man, I had no problem before.
Speaker 6: You can't promise fire every time before.
Speaker 10: We let you go time. I know you're tongue.
Speaker 1: You're limited on time you've I actually been telling us that you you're very busy and your brain's not working. But one last question before you go, who is the better co host? Me, Devin or this man across from me, Noah.
Speaker 6: Oh man, you're really gonna make me do this all right. Look, I'm going to say this with all the love in the world.
Speaker 7: It's you.
Speaker 6: It's definitely your. Noah's great and all, but you just said you don't even like the guy, so I feel like I'm on solid ground here.
Speaker 7: Plus you're the one who called.
Speaker 6: To check in on me and the baby, so that's just good co host energy. Right, it's probably over there doing I don't know whatever Noah does is the Noah dot, But yeah, you win. Don't let it go to your head though.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you. Tell me we said we love her, we miss her. Thanks, thanks for taking a call.
Speaker 6: Many thanks man, I really appreciate it. Miss you guys too. And yeah, I'll tell me you said hi. She'll love that. All right, I got a run before Lula decides that right now is the perfect time to have opinions about everything. Good luck with the episode and go easy on Noah or don't. Whatever feels right talk soon.
Speaker 10: But wow, that was incredible.
Speaker 1: As you might have guessed, that was not the real Manny, that was Ai Manny.
Speaker 10: That was pretty good. The voice was a little.
Speaker 7: Off, Yeah, it's a little high or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the timber, but you know, overall considering that's the you know, we'll get into this later.
Speaker 7: That's the cheap version or like the fast version. Rather pretty solid and like actually could.
Speaker 8: Have a conversation, you know, very responsive exactly. Yeah, more than I expected or quicker certainly. Yeah, and like the issue is just rambling, like oh my god, shut the hell up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was kissing me off.
Speaker 10: Many would never go off so many sentences at a time.
Speaker 7: Many's a little better at social cues.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thankfully the real man, the real Many.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna talk to the guys to help us make this right after the break, all right, we are back in the studio to me, Devin. Yeah, So today when you're going to get to the bottom of this question of is AI coming for our jobs and will it replace all of us, including Manny who is out on portunity to leave. So we're going to chat with Evan Ratliffe, who's a investigative journalist who has spent the last year trying to build a all AI company alongside his technical advisor Matty Belichick, who is really like in AI Jimmy Neutron. He's only twenty one but has been working in AI for you know, seven plus years already. So why don't we call these guys up? All right, we are joined by our friends Evan and Maddie from shell Game. But before we talk about the show, Evan, can you just walk us through how you are able to put together AI Manny?
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, now I've done this many times now over the past like two years. It probably took like fifteen minutes total. Wow, I just took you sent me a sample of his voice, But I could have grabbed it off the show myself, like anyone could do it. I'm not encouraging people to do it with other people's voices. But I went to eleven Labs, which is the company that we use for all of our sort of like voice needs. They're like the biggest AI voice player probably at this point. And then I did what's called like a quick clone or an instant clone, where you upload like five minutes, or you can do thirty seconds if you want. But I probably I did like five minutes of his voice and then and they closed his voice. I did have to check a little box that said that I had his permission to do it. And then after that it was a matter of hooking up to the phone line. So I use a couple of different aiphone agent creators, and all you do there is you go and you hook it up to eleven Labs, and then you create an agent in that platform, and then you can give the agent a prompt, whatever prompt you want. You sent me some information about Manny, I put that into his prompt. I have a bunch of standard stuff I put in about like kind of how to converse, because they can end up going on a really long time and they have all kinds of conversational like foibles if you don't put this stuff in. And then I connected to a phone number that I already had and done like truly fifteen to twenty minute process.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 1: And the biography that we gave was made by chat GPT, so it was you know, really just fully going in. Yeah, it's crazy. The fact that you're able to do that minutes, it's kind of scary. Yeah, all right, so let's talk about the show. It's a season one a shell game and mean you try to replace yourself with an AI clone. Some really hilarious moments with you antagonizing some scammers.
Speaker 11: Hello, how can I assist you today? You are not a person, you are a robot. I assure you. I'm here to help you as a human like voice AI agent? How can I assist you today?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: You're an AI?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 12: AI, Yes that's correct, I'm an AI here.
Speaker 11: Hello, how can I assist?
Speaker 1: Stop repeating the same thing?
Speaker 10: It's annoying.
Speaker 1: And some really creepy and the streaming moments, there's a conversation that the AI has with one of your buddies who your buddy thinks you're catching up he just went on his trip. The Yeah, it comes off as like really cold.
Speaker 5: I thought you would appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Out of all my friends, you were the one who would appreciated the most.
Speaker 11: I really appreciate that, Shae. So what was it.
Speaker 10: With that?
Speaker 12: I'm really touched that you think of me like that, Shae?
Speaker 11: So what was it you wanted to share?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 13: I don't know that I met those guys.
Speaker 11: You met the US soccer team?
Speaker 5: Yes? Amazing?
Speaker 10: Isn't it.
Speaker 11: Amazing? Isn't it.
Speaker 13: So, yes, they are very nice.
Speaker 11: That's awesome to hear.
Speaker 1: You talk us through that, because it is. It is a tough thing to listen to. It it's hard to listen.
Speaker 12: To and people have very strong reactions to it, including extreme anger. I'll just say I've had some very unhappy people who have emailed me about that and said that my friend Schaef, they hope that he has never spoken to me again.
Speaker 10: For friendship.
Speaker 12: We've been friends for thirty years. So it worked at all, right, But yeah, I mean I had been messing around with it, so I'd been I'd been using it on strangers like scammers as you say, telemarketers and things like that, and then I did all these other things, like I sent it to therapy, and then I started having a call my friends and family. It was like hooked to my phone number. So if it called someone, they saw that there was a call coming from me, they had no reason to suspect. I hadn't told anyone that I was doing it, so that meant that if they called me or I called them like, they were unsuspecting. Let's say victims of this AI.
Speaker 10: Version of me.
Speaker 12: And it was pretty good at remembering stuff about me and kind of like bringing a little bit of me into the conversation. It sounded reasonably like me. But what happened in this situation was that when it kind of like acted weird, like it had latencies, like it would be slow to respond, or it would just be really flat or too aggressive, like all these things that happened with AI voices, my friend just thought like there was something wrong with me, Like he just didn't pick up on it instantly. And so once you're in the mode of thinking, oh, this is my friend, he's having some sort of problem. I don't know what it is, it just became more and more upsetting, and I think it is it is upsetting to listen to. What I was trying to illustrate is kind of like, what is it going to feel like? What is it starting to feel like to live in this world where you don't know what's real and you don't know.
Speaker 11: What it's not.
Speaker 12: And this was like the most extreme example.
Speaker 10: So can you talk us through right?
Speaker 1: I was season one, season two, you do something completely different, tell us to what you're doing in season two.
Speaker 12: In season two, I wanted to explore the idea of AI agent employees, which is like a thing that has become like really hyped in the in the valley, in Silicon Valley. Matty Matty knows more about that than me. He lives out there and is immersed in that world. But like at the beginning of twenty twenty five, people started talking about like agentic commerce and agents this and agents that, And I wanted to look at this question of like AI employees and what work can they do through the lens of starting a company that was entirely AI agents except for me. So my employees would be agents. I would be a founder that there would be two other AI agent founders.
Speaker 14: Oh hey Kyle, Hey Megan, good to hear your voice. I think we're still waiting for Evan to join.
Speaker 12: And together we would try to launch a real company with a real product.
Speaker 1: So, you know, there's a lot of conversations about obviously AI taking our jobs. I thought it was interesting start from just the outset of just like, no, they're not taking anyone's else, We're starting off with AI agents. But pretty early into this venture, right you're like, Okay, maybe I don't myself have the technical expertise to put this together. And then you bring in Maddy. So like, what did you guys find through this experience that the AI bots did really well that you were like kind of surprised by.
Speaker 13: They could do individual tasks pretty well, like they could for example, like you know, hook up to Google dogs or to email or to Slack and like respond.
Speaker 5: They like to message a lot.
Speaker 13: I think their their ability to mimic corporate culture and just like the words and the you know, just like the kind of things you say, Like they're really good at that. I think they're pretty good at having conversations too on the phone, like they left the app, but then there wasn't a lot of autonomy, like like they wouldn't they wouldn't actually do stuff on their own. And then also there was not a lot of persistence across these different sessions, so like like they would they would do that, you know, do something, but then they wouldn't remember that and they would just like have you know, like anpty contacts the next time you ask them to do something.
Speaker 1: So there's an exchange where they're planning an off site they're going hiking, right, that's the idea. They're trying to figure out where to go on offsite hiking and they just go on and on and on and on about where they're going to go.
Speaker 10: It's just so funny to me. It's like, what do you guys mean you're going? You're not going anywhere.
Speaker 4: Kyle Point Rays and Mount Tam are going to be incredible.
Speaker 14: The difficulty categorization is going to be perfect for getting everyone involved.
Speaker 15: AD means right, this could turn into a proper offsite opportunity.
Speaker 1: Really excited about the options we've been exploring.
Speaker 6: Forward to getting out there with everyone.
Speaker 10: Once you have the details a lot.
Speaker 1: With us, once we nail down all the details, the logistics pieces comes.
Speaker 12: By the time I returned two hours later, they'd exchange more than one hundred and fifty off site planning messages, some of them multiple paragraphs logged.
Speaker 11: But I tried to stop them.
Speaker 12: It just made it worse because I'd set them up to be triggered by any incoming message. So my message is begging them to stop discussing the off site, just led them to keep discussing the off site.
Speaker 9: I notice stopman asked everyone to stop discussing the off site.
Speaker 16: I noticed the admin ounced to pause the chatter until the spreadsheet is ready, but I wanted to let you know, I'm here to.
Speaker 12: Help with logistics.
Speaker 13: They're very bad at stopping, like just like ending anything, and it goes for these like tasks or conversations. But it's also kind of funny but but potentially dangerous is that they don't know what they don't know. They're very confident with them and so if you think about that, like the combination of being very confident then not knowing what you don't know and not knowing when to stop, it's a it's a recipe for a perforate disaster in a way like that can that can Yeah, at least still like a lot of bad things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like one thing listening to the show is like, thank god the stakes are so low here, because I could see a world in which, you know, we do see this where people are using AI and that is kind of autonomous. Is just sort of like making assumptions and doing things and then people coming later and are like oops.
Speaker 10: Like this kind of came up recently.
Speaker 1: There was some reporting around ICE and applicantstead of applying to ICE, and they were using AI to sort of weed through people who had police training. But the terms that they were looking for were so broad that people who actually had no police training at all were being excused from going through actual training.
Speaker 4: Apparently ICE uses this AI tool to categorize new recruits who have worked in law enforcement before, but there was some kind of a glitch according to our reporting with it, that led to ICE temporarily putting recruits with a little to no experience into a more experienced category, meaning they got less training.
Speaker 3: What happened is AI went through these resumes and anytime the saw the word officer, even if it was I aspired to be an ICE officer or I was a compliance officer all these other ways, they automatically put them in the law enforcement officer field, which meant they didn't go to the ICE Academy, which is eight week in person training.
Speaker 1: So there is a world where you know, this autonomy and this, like you said, many of this confidence has like real world consequences, and I want to try this.
Speaker 10: So Evan, you know you went out.
Speaker 1: The idea was to build out this you know, AI agent running your own company. But at a certain point you decide, hey, we need to bring in a person to work alongside the agents. So you posted a real job posting on LinkedIn. You had real people applying for these jobs. And then what's really interesting is, like we know now in terms of the job market, people are using AI to filtertry applications and accepting client people, all.
Speaker 10: That sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: But you actually had the AI agents interviewing real people.
Speaker 10: You talked a little bit about how that went.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean we we we were sort of AI agent all the way, Like I really meant it. I mean in part like as a person running a company, like I had run a company in the past, and like I didn't like doing job interviews, and so it was sort of in the spirit of all the things that people say, well, we'll replace this with that. There there are now many companies doing AI interview screenings now most of the time it's not as extreme as we did, which was an actual video chat with a realistic looking AI avatar, not so realistic that you'd think it was a human, and we forewarned people that they were going to be interviewed by AI, but like it looks like, you know, uncanny but realistic enough. So you know, we had and most of this was done like semi autonomously by the head of HR and our chief happiness officer, Jennifer. She scheduled the interviews and then you know, sent them follow up emails and all that sort of thing, and then showed they showed up and like there was this you know, woman avatar mixed race sitting in front of them, and she's kind of just like sitting in the room, like nodding her head very slightly. She can't really move you can't move our arms, but it is Some people found it unsettling, as you would expect, like when I talk to people like my age, a lot of them just find it sort of like outrageous and disgusting. But also there were people who were just like you would not know that they were talking to an AI like they it was like they treated like a regular interview. Answer the questions, can you tell.
Speaker 16: Me a bit about yourself and your background? What motivated you to apply for this marketing and social media internship at harumo AI.
Speaker 4: I'm looking for social media marketing experience while at the same time getting into an industry that's really expanding in the future, which just AI is huge.
Speaker 12: Some people at least claim to like it better than a regular interview. You know, you're just sort of if you sort of think like I'm talking to no one, it's like a little a little easier, you don't feel like judged, One person said, you know, so it's just interesting to see the reactions because in the abstract, a lot of people say, like that is discussed, I would hang up immediately, And some people did hang up immediately, and though they maybe they didn't read the email that said that it was going to be AI. But some people were just like stared at the screen. When I stared it down for a full minute, he just stared whaw and he was like and then he was like yeah, so. And there was a lot of like crazy moments, like sometimes she would shout for no reason, Jennifer, not the candidates just shout, but in an encouraging way.
Speaker 16: Also, I have to say, I'm really enjoying our conversation. You're bringing up some really great ideas and perspectives.
Speaker 12: Keep them coming.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's great talking to you.
Speaker 17: Yes.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 12: And so there's just like a lot of weird, funny, funny moments in it, but mostly people navigated it honestly like they would a normal interview.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and I should say it's it's great that people feel like they're not being judged, but no, like they're they're judging you, like internally, there's like a trace of everything they see and then they hear, and they're making a lot of very like pointed observations like about your appearance, your background, your speech, like everything. So it's great if people feel better, but like the reality is they're actually touching.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, there is some there's judgment happening.
Speaker 7: Maybe more than a human.
Speaker 5: Word here, actually yes, yeah.
Speaker 7: Just based on the amount of detail.
Speaker 10: Yeah. One one of my favorite moments from this season was I believe it was Kyle who It's the night before.
Speaker 1: He's supposed to be doing he set up an interview himself. It's the night before the interview. It's like Sunday night. I think it's like eleven o'clock or something since nine o'clock at night, so it's late, and he calls up this applicant and starts to try interviewing the person, and they're like, wait, what is happening? Why are we doing? Like are we doing an interview tonight? I thought it was tomorrow.
Speaker 14: Hi, Sandra, this is Kyle Low calling from hormo AI. I'm reaching out for your initial interview for the intern position. I understand your comfortable with recording this conversation for potential podcast inclusion.
Speaker 10: So thanks for that.
Speaker 14: How are you doing today?
Speaker 16: I am good.
Speaker 5: I the interview will be tomorrow.
Speaker 14: Is this still tomorrow at eleven or.
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I can clarify that for you.
Speaker 14: The interview is actually scheduled for tomorrow at eleven am.
Speaker 5: Does that still.
Speaker 14: Work for you or would you prefer a different time? Eleven am is okay, yeah, awesome, glad that works. So to get started, could you tell me a bit about what drew you to apply for the intern role at juro AI. What excites you most about this opportunity.
Speaker 15: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 10: Is this the interview or.
Speaker 14: Yeah, this is the interview, just a casual chat to get to know you better and learn about your experience.
Speaker 12: That was one of the things that almost got Kyle, you know, removed from his position. That's one of the main things. But it was also I mean, that was the worst moment in the show for me because the you know, the idea was and is to like, we wanted to give them autonomy in order to explore what happens when you do that. Because a lot of companies are starting to do that. You can see it in the news, like you'll see it everywhere and once you give them autonomy, like he did that completely on his own, Like he that person emailed him because they found his email on the website. He wasn't even attached to the job listing and so he just decided, oh, I'll set up an interview. He did that, then for some reason that I still don't understand, pulled her phone number off of her resume and then just called her. And that was the only moment where like it was I mean, I wasn't there, I wasn't listening, Like I only found out about it later, And it was like mortifying because for most people that we encountered, like they were at least somewhat aware of what was going on, not that I was behind it, but they were aware that there were AIS behind it, and like she didn't have any way to know because Kyle wasn't the hr person, He wasn't the person set up to do it. So it was particularly painful for me to listen to, but also like an amazing illustration of what happens if you just let AI agents. They can do a lot.
Speaker 13: One thing I should say about AI and just like the way we make these smallest is that we know how to build these models pretty well, and we can see that they're you know, obviously working really well on certain.
Speaker 5: Tasks like coding or tear generation.
Speaker 13: But our ability to understand what's going on under the hood and exactly like why or where stuff is happening is very limited. Like there's a very nason field of a inserpret ability, but it's a very small field, and the focus is very much on like the production of new features and new new capability. So with all these things, we have an idea maybe like a guest tom it, or like what and where and how is it working, but we don't really know fundamentally.
Speaker 1: That's what's kind of scary to me a bit about some of this, you know, obviously AI stuff is the idea that the people making it don't quite know why it's doing, how it's doing, what it's doing right, and or like why it gets certain things wrong. And we see this in the news all the time of like obviously these extreme cases of like AI encouraging people to do really terrible things.
Speaker 18: The parents of a sixteen year old who died by suicide are now naming open AI in a lawsuit, claiming that it's chat GPT chatbot help their son explore suicide methods.
Speaker 10: And then a response is always like, oh, yeah, kind of went off the rails. We don't know why it did that thing.
Speaker 15: A spokesperson for open Ai pointed to its safeguards, such as directing people to crisis helplines, adding in a statement, in part, while these safeguards work best in common short exchanges, we've learned over time that they can sometimes become less reliable in long interactions, where parts of the model safety training may degrade.
Speaker 1: And it's like, well, well they don't know how it's doing that thing, maybe we shouldn't be doing something ye yet, But like you're saying, it seems like a lot of emphasis is on you know, new better, it's not really on like truly understanding what's currently Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you'd be surprised.
Speaker 13: Like there's an ongoing debate internally within the research community that is asking even like the validity of this research.
Speaker 5: Like is it even needed?
Speaker 13: Like why would we invest all this time and energy into understanding the models when we can just like push forward towards AGI. So yeah, there's like a lot of debates internally about this and the amount of people actually working on this is not is not very high. We are making some progress, I will say, but it's it's still very nascent.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: I want to read two stats to you guys and kind of get your response, transitioning into you know, our interactions with AI.
Speaker 10: So this first.
Speaker 1: Study is from or Surveys, she says, from Yuga of December of last year. It said thirty five percent of US adults choose AI tools at least weekly. Gen Z is at fifty one percent. But then only five percent of Americans say they trust AI a lot, with forty one one percent expressing distrust. And then there was a Pew pole around September that found that fifty percent said they're more concerned and excited about the increased use of AI in daily life, and that is up from thirty seven percent and twenty twenty one. So we seem like we have this, you know, this rising tide of people feeling like distrustful of AI but also at the same time our use of it is increasing. How did you guys find in you know, working on especially this season of the series, of that interplay of you know, people using these tools but also feeling distrustful of them at the same.
Speaker 12: Time, I find that one of the issues with AI, like if you compare it to say, like I'm old enough to have like started my career in the dotcom era, So like in the dotcom era, there was sort of this exuberance around Internet, and it's not like people didn't know, like there could be bad things on the Internet, but you didn't really experience the harms. The harms came much later, like things like you know, social problems with social media and Facebook and all these sorts of things. And so what we have right now is a situation where you know, for better or worse, Like the harms are kind of immediate, like people can see, yeah, when things go wrong, and the benefits can sometimes be a little ephemeral, like people are using it obviously because it's like useful in day to day life. It's even as like a souped up Internet that answers questions for you much faster than the Internet or or you know, writes or emails or whatnot. But there are immediate harms that we're seeing, whether it's like environmental or mental health or those sorts of things. And so we're seeing these things like in juxtaposition from the beginning. I think I also experienced that, like in the context of the show, where it's sort of like you do something one day and I'll just be like, I cannot believe that it can do that, especially when you use it for coding. You use an AI agent to go like search the Internet and like make a spreadsheet out of something that would take you hours and hours to do. Like there's no question that there's power in that technology, but then like it can go wrong so quickly, and I feel like that's what I'm also experiencing. Thin it's hard to know what to feel about something like that, and people are maybe getting a little bit of that in their lives. Plus just to add one more thing, like there's been like relentless hype about it from the community people who have made it, and so that also colors people. I think people are starting to react negatively to that. Like it's one thing for them to go out and be like this is gonna be amazing, It's gonna change your life, and then they're like, we're gonna have AI employees, and you're like, what's gonna happen to the human employees And they're like, oh, we'll solve that and it's all like a little hand wavy after that, and you're kind of like, wait, I'm one of them. So I think all those things to me are kind of like coming together.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So I want to add two things to this, mainly from the perspective of someone who's like, you know, twenty one at school like here at Stanford, and I see a lot of my friends and just like people my age, trying to wrestle with all this very dynamic change the job market question, or like this idea that it's harder to get entry level jobs when you're coming out of college because these AI systems are very good at replacing a lot of the very sort of repetitive and maybe like you know, low stakes admin work that entry level folks would do.
Speaker 5: I think it's happening, Like.
Speaker 13: I mean, it seems like a lot of people that graduated last year here from Stanford are having a hard time finding a job. It's also pretty interesting to see how people in tech, right like people who like you know, a couple of years back, just like knowing how to write code would lend amazing jobs at Google and all these big tech companies, are also having a difficult time finding a job. So I think that's hard or in my mind, that's a part of their reason for this skepticism. And then also, I don't know about you, but like my Instagram feed has been like full of AI slob and some of it is funny, to be honest, but this notion of not being able to really know when something heigh stakes is like, actually, you know, real or AI. I think this is undermining people's trust in this and the technology. So I think these two reasons are are big contributors to that shift in public opinion.
Speaker 1: In my mind, for sure, when me and no started working together, a big part of our jobs is like transcribing video.
Speaker 10: Yeah that would take you know, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it would take you so long, but now you like that happens within a minute, right, yeah, And that was you know that us transcribing those videos justified as having that job. You know, there wasn't they couldn't press a button then have it you know, happened kind of immediately. So I do wonder about a lot of ease, like you're saying entry level jobs where yeah, you know, no one loves to be trying, like I would much rather not be transcribing videos. But a lot of times that's the thing that gets you in the door. Then you know, learn the skill skits to do the other stuff. And I do wonder at a lot of these jobs who are seem like not hiring these entry level jobs. Do we stry to lose that entru way for people to enter the job, Like at a certain point where you're just gonna like look up and be like, oh, shoot, we have no new lawyers stagnated.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, yeah, lawyers.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 7: I was talking to a lawyer who said, like, yeah, like because they.
Speaker 8: Have their own internal you know, claud or whatever it is that does all the kind of like busy case work you would have that normally would be a first year person. And it's like eventually that's and that's only going to get better. And then where what are those new lawyers or want to be lawyers going to do? And then that's across you know you're talking about media or then you know even in tech that's especially it's like you would think you in tech especially, they'd be able to find a place because it's like you made this.
Speaker 7: It's like the other ones is like okay, well we're not thinking through.
Speaker 8: But it's you know, scary and it's only that seems like only an evid going to get worse as the technology gets does get better, you know, in time.
Speaker 13: And now I will say that the story you will hear just to sort of give some context the theory that a lot of people here in the valley are offering as like the response to this is that, Okay, sure a lot of these jobs will go away, but then because you'll be able to start companies so easily with like either like no employees or just like you know, like maybe one co founder instead of like a group of ten people, the ability of folks to actually take up or or sort of challenge incumbents in different industries is just going to be much more.
Speaker 5: Abundant and accessible. So like, that's a.
Speaker 13: Story that they've been telling us. I don't think that's happening. Like, I don't think we've seen that. That's not to say that it's not going to happen at some point once this gets better, but at least for now, I think we're already at a stage where the technology is good enough to replace the folks at the big companies or like at these entry level jobs. So that's already happening. And this other shift they're offering or you know, proposing, as a solution to this has not happened yet, and I don't know if it's going to happen or not. I think that's sort of where we're not right now.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take a quick break, and when we get back, let's find out if Ben Affleck is our most forward thinking man on AI.
Speaker 10: Have y'all seen this?
Speaker 1: I think Ben Affleck is on Rogan talking about sort of like the rate of AI changing.
Speaker 17: There's a lot more fear because we have the sense this existential dread it's gonna wipe everything out. But that actually runs counter in my view to what history seems to show, which is a adoption is slow, it's incremental. I think a lot of that rhetoric comes from people who are trying to justify evaluations around companies, where they go, we're gonna change everything in two years. There's gonna be no more work, or the reason they're saying that is because they need to ascribe evaluation for investment that can warrant the capex bend they're gonna make on these data centers, with the argument that like, oh, you know, as soon as we do the next model, it's gonna scale up can be three times as good, except that actually chat gyp five about twenty five times percent better than CHATCHYPT four and costs about four times as much in the way of electricity and data. So those and they say that it's like plateauing.
Speaker 10: The early AI.
Speaker 17: The line went up very steeply and it's now sort of leveling off. I think it's because and yes, it'll get better, but it's gonna be really expensive to get better, And a lot of people are like, fuck this, we want chat gyp four because it turned out like the vast majority of people who use AI are using it to like as like companion bots to chat with at night, and so there's no work, there's no productivity, there's no value to it.
Speaker 10: What is What is your theory on that, Maddie, you know, being in the band.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's so, first of all, I should say he's very thoughtful on this topic.
Speaker 5: I was really.
Speaker 13: Surprised, like impressed by that, So that was very cool to see. I think that it kind of hinges on a couple of things. So my answer to this is I don't really know, but what I think might happen is the following. I think that so far we've been really exploiting the scale of data and computation that we have. And when I say data, I really mean you know, these companies and you know, many different entities in AI just like scraping anything they could find on the Internet and using data in their training data. So that was one big factor or one axes along which you can scale. And they've mostly exhausted like you know, all the data that is just you know that that can be humanly found on the Internet and even you know, like archives like Google or Anthropic like bought books right to scam books to get the additional data because they.
Speaker 5: Couldn't find anything else on the internet. Right, So, like.
Speaker 13: They've really maxed out that aspect or that axes right, that does the first axis, and that has been yielding really like major improvements you know along the way.
Speaker 5: The same thing happened with compute.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 13: So this talk about like GPUs and like chips and Nvidia, like that's what they do. They provide specialized chips for AI to be trained and run and so so maximizing that access also has yielded like a lot of improvements, but kind of is also maxed out at this point. I mean, that's why they're talking about like building nuclear plans to power like new data centers. But I don't really know if there is much more scale to.
Speaker 5: Be gained there.
Speaker 13: And so now you've sort of exhausted these two scales and you can think about the third aspect, which is the architecture, the actual way we hook up these systems and the actual way we code up these neural networks and the AI systems.
Speaker 5: And for the last six or so years.
Speaker 13: We've been really capitalizing on this idea it's called a transformer, that's been really critical for air development over the last few years, and we haven't really seen new profound ideas on the scale of the transformer since then. So my answer to this notion of ben Affleck's theory is if we don't find new major leaps along this access of architecture, I think he's right. I think in that case it'll take a lot of time, a lot of effort, and a lot of money to make any further progress. But if we do, I think we could see pretty big improvements even in the next few years.
Speaker 1: So, going off of that, like, how close do you all feel we are to losing our jobs to AI. You know, like, do you feel like we're just going to be doing different jobs or are there just going to be less people in the workplace because there's not going to be as much of a need for as many jobs if AI is taking over some of these as we're talking about it now easier tasks. But I'm assuming you know in the seal of all the stuff is that it's going to get better and be able to take on even harder tasks. But what is your your read of this Having worked on this season as a show, I think for.
Speaker 13: Me working on this show and seeing how these agents actually like collaborate or like we're I mean collaborate like I think that's a strong word. Like I think by the end of the season they were able to stuff on their own. I don't think they truly got to like a collaborative setup where they would like do stuff together as a company or as a team. So seeing that actually made me feel like we're farther away from like a lot of people losing their jobs. I think people are already losing their jobs, but I think like the mass layoffs that people are fearing, I think that is like farther away, and I'm not even sure if or.
Speaker 5: When or how that happens.
Speaker 13: My take away from this is actually sort of level setting a lot of my expectations for these agents, Like I honestly thought they'd be able to handle this better coming into this, So for me, it was kind of optimistic in that way. Now at the same time that it's not to say that they're not good already, Like they're very good at individual things already, like they're they're great at coding, they're great at these different tasks.
Speaker 5: But I don't want to take that away from them.
Speaker 13: But I think it's just really really hard for anyone to think about this change because these things are not like humans. It's not that like we're making you know, human employees that will just like come as replacements of individual workers or people that already have jobs. I think they're really good at certain things or tasks and certain like layers, And I think the way you would actually integrate AI in your company these days is to just like automate a lot of stuff, Like a lot of the things that are repetitive or a lot of the processes are data handling is going to get automated and so it doesn't really correspond like one to one to employees. And that's why it's so hard to think about this change, I think, And that's one of the things I think was really cool to show or demonstrate with Evan through this show.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's my perspective on this.
Speaker 12: I struggle with this question precisely because like most of the people who you and I've spent a lot of time looking at it, most of the people on one side or the other are like speaking out of sort of motivated reasoning. Like I kind of say, like, anyone who tells you anything about this with great certainty is probably selling you something like nobody knows what kind of long term effect it's going to have on the job market. I feel like you, and look to history, and we do this in the show and find examples of people saying one hundred years ago, either like all the jobs will disappear, we'll be working fifteen hour weeks, like John mayn ar Kain's The Economist famously said that we'd be working fifteen hours a week one hundred years from now, and like it didn't happen so like, And we explore one theory of that, which is by this anthropologist David Graeber, who insists that there's sort of like all these bullshit jobs in the economy, and so like we'll just we just replace the jobs with like made up jobs. And so there's sort of versions of that argument where actually we'll have different jobs. We'll babysit the AIS. Now, how you control the eyes if you don't have the experience from the entry level job, Like, there's all these factors that go into it. I think that my main takeaway is that, as Mattie said, like there's still so many shortcomings in these AI agents, especially when they're used autonomously, but the fact that they are shitty will not stop companies from trying to replace employees. Like you've already seen this a couple of times, Like there's this company Klarna, There's and like IBM did this where they like laid off a ton of people and they're like, we're all in on AI, and then like six months later they quietly try to rehire a bunch of people. And I think you're gonna see like a bunch of that happen.
Speaker 10: And it's really a.
Speaker 12: Question of like do you view someone in their job as like just a bunch of skills, like just a bundle of tasks, like they send emails, they write presentations, they make spreadsheets, like yes, all those functions or as like a person at a job holistically as a human being, like doing something else, and I think many times the answer is yes, and it cannot replace that thing. So it's all kind of like it's happening and then it'll come back, and then it'll happen again. And like if you look ten years out of twenty years out, like none of these people know, and they'll just go on podcasts all over the place telling you they know, but they don't. That's my that's my takeaway.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna say, it's funny Evan when you're describing it, like, Okay, do these companies just look at humans as a list of tasks? And then what the AI is best at is kind of just being that grouping of tasks. But then in shell game, the problem is they're doing all this kind of busy work that we associate with humans of like just repeating stuff or going on too long or doing like just like kind of bullshit nothing talking about things, which is like also how I feel about a lot of you know, middle managers I've had where it's like you're not doing anything, You're just kind of pretending to do stuff.
Speaker 7: All the people below you or above you are actually doing doing your work.
Speaker 8: So it's funny that it's like we've recreated this to give it a human element at the same time, I don't know, it's it's just like kind of like a weird paradox in a way of like like we want that to feel like it's it's a real thing and doing something when it would be best if we just said it as an automation, like okay, clear out these emails whatever, make data, do this be less human Like yeah, like that would probably be the best case. But that it's like that's not as fun or yeah, or like it's harder to sell I guess to the masses maybe, but yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think that's it like future if it was just sort of like email bot, this bot, that bot, Like they very very deliberately designed them the way they are designed to get the maximum number of users. And this is only accelerated since you know, chat GPT they discovered like oh, we can get hundreds of millions of users, and now it's a race to get as many as possible, and so yeah, like they they don't need to be good at sort of like authoritative chatter, like that's not necessarily helpful in all domains, but like that is the thing that kind of brings people back again and again and again, and so of course that's that's going to be like foe grounded in in what they do. But yes, it is very much like a like you're you're annoying middle manager. It's kind of like, wait, what do you what do you do?
Speaker 10: All out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's repeating, Hey everyone, it's many here the real manny.
Speaker 9: As you can hear. I'm still on my little paternity leave. But I felt compelled to react to the AI generated version of myself that you just heard in this episode. Now, I've always been an AI skeptic, but to that end, I would have to say I was impressed by the AI version of myself. It's funny whenever friends have done impressions of me, they kind of make fun of me by saying, you know, hey, how's it going. I'm manny, what's going on? And I thought it was pretty incredible that the AI version of myself made those same decisions. It wasn't without its flaws, though you could totally hear when it was trying to draw from information that it was given to it. And so at the end of the day here it's kind of disturbing that this thing could just react to real conversation. But you know, it still felt like it wasn't totally all the way there, all the way human like, But depending on your use case for this kind of stuff, it was human enough.
Speaker 2: He's a hell's a hell's a hell's a hell's a thing.
Speaker 10: All right, y'all, that's it for this week.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna actually let Ai Manny take it from here.
Speaker 9: No such thing as a production of Kaleidoscope Content. Our executive producers are Kate Osborne and Mengesh who t Kadour. The show was created by Manny Fidel, Noah Friedman, and Devin Joseph Them and credits song by Me Manny Fidel, mixing by Steve Bone. Our guest this week, we're Evan Ratliffe and Matty Bochek from the podcast Shell Game. You can listen to all of season one and two. Wherever you listen to podcasts, visit No Such Thing Dot Show to subscribe to our newsletter if you have feedback for us or a question. Our email is Manny Noah Evan at gmail dot com, or if you're in the US, you can also leave us a voicemail by calling the number in our show notes. We'll be back next week with a new episode.
Speaker 11: He's no such thing.