Speaker 1: Well, val, we have entered what I could only describe as prime time for Dancing with the Stars, because I know the big announcement about who the cast is and therefore who their pro partners are is September twod Well, you know, we know Whitney is with Germo, we know Jackson from the Savannah Bananas, we know the people they've announced. You have not been officially announced yet as coming back, but let's say you were coming back. How busy of a time is this run up to the Good Morning America announcement?
Speaker 2: Very busy and very exciting and not awkward. But like these first meets, you know, they it's a very unnatural speed at which they move, Right, You meet each other on camera for the first time, and then you immediately have to make huge decisions, Like you know, first of all, your promo shoot is like a day later, right, So that that's the imagery that will represent your couple for the next hopefully three months and forever ever after. Right, It's like the picture that lives forever.
Speaker 1: I know. And it's so early on and it is awkward because you have not learned any dance steps yet as the celeb, and yet they want you to dance all day long, dance for the camera, dancing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the promo shoot is like, which is yes, again, it's not even about the dance step as much as it's like the rapport to do these dance steps together for six hours in front of strangers. You got to have, you know, you see the pros do it all the time. But because we have rapport, we have chemistry, We know each other. We besides knowing the steps, we also did there's familiarity to go out and do something vulnerable as is. I have issues with pictures as is. You know, imagine with somebody else who's relying on me to take, you know, the shot that will also present the first impression to the to the audience, you know, and you don't get a second chance to make to make that so I don't know. Again, a lot of times this promo shoot goes a lot better than expected, uh huh, and sometimes it could be quite forced with a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's so funny you mentioned the promo shoot. I had such a great time at the promo shoot, but I also completely forgot it existed until you just mentioned it. I was like, that's right, you literally meet on camera. Hi, nice to meet you. There's lots of interviews, you know, otfs, what did you think of each other? And then you know, some protests, show me what you've got, kind of conversation on camera for them to hold a package around, and then yes, like the next day you spend twelve hours at a promo shoot wild well. At the same time, answering.
Speaker 2: Questions, taking photos constantly in your head is like are we having enough chemistry? Does this look appealable? Like will people vote for this?
Speaker 1: You know, do we like each other? Are we having a good time exactly?
Speaker 2: And then it's like, are we getting enough social media content to capture this awkward magic? You know? Right? Right? So, yeah, it's a lot, and it is hectic, and I will say, honestly, you know, the social media aspect of it is so fun when it's done, when you're in flow, when it's like effortless, but it is a lot of pressure, added pressure and responsibility that not everybody has that kind of effortless ability to do.
Speaker 1: Do you have a social media team that helps you through the season?
Speaker 2: No? Wow, No, for Soul, that's yeah. I mean I was going to say kind of bougie, but it's not because it's such a big part of you know, everyone's livelihood nowadays, just their professional opportunities also heavily rely on that. No, I still treated like a diary. I mean, my little journal, you know, it's terrible. Yeah, and it's like two different journals. Instagram is like more a journal someone will read, and TikTok is more of a journal. I still think I'm doing, you know, for.
Speaker 1: Myself, you're private journal right. Well. At the same time, we are in the home stretch of Dancing with the Stars. The next pro these are the semi finals, and whoever survives this episode enters the finals. Big pressure all around.
Speaker 2: I'm invested. I mean, the show's been so fun to watch, I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was at the edge of my seat.
Speaker 2: This whole episod and again and you know, I contested last week's results with Eric, but but looking at these four, you know, I really it really did feel like a final four that was deserving to be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right. I mean, even though we could we could argue where people should have left, because technically last week Nina left, the week before, the week before, we had a problem with Eric, and we could go like well maybe they should have you know, reversed weeks or something. But when you look at these four, you do not feel like while they really let the best dancer go, you know, like you're looking these four going, yeah, these four people have a real shot at being on.
Speaker 2: That for different reasons. Yeah, some just are underdeveloped but have something special. Some people have, you know, a seasoned craftsmanship about this whole thing, and then have so many tools in their toolbox. And some people are all of the above and we'll see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were casting a show, you've got four unique characters, you don't have four of the same thing, which is great. So when you have been watching the season, are you happy you didn't have to enter this type of reality competition in order to become a pro on Dancing with the Stars or have you thought like, man, I would have thrived in something like this A little bit of both.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been employed for such a long time. I have to really look back and reflect what I felt like. I mean, I was watching, I was thinking, man, this is really hard, and yeah, within the parameters that they have to create. Not to say that it's easy on our show, it's not, But to answer your question. I was fortunate enough to learn on the job. That's why I'm a huge advocate for the Troop. I think it's you know, it's paid internship. There's nothing better, especially if you want to go into that line of work. Yeah, you get insight into everybody's room. That is valuable, you know. So I got casted as a pro right away, and you know, I missed out on that, and I had to really be observant. And obviously I knew my brother's process because of our proximity, but I, you know, not until those team dances that I get a chance to see how Mark works, how Derek works, how others work. So I think that's so valuable to be on Troop on our show and to be in my room, Jenna's room, everybody's room and see how they navigate from different fronts, not just how they lead the lesson or the choreography, but also how they they you know, what kind of frequency they keep in the room, how much tension do they let in there versus when they know how to like shift. So yeah, these guys don't have any of that. So I definitely I do feel very fortunate that I didn't have to go through this gauntlet.
Speaker 1: It's quite a quite an undertaking. Well, here we are to recap Dancing with the Stars the next pro Season one, episode seven. We open with our pal Robert returning to the dance floor and welcoming the four remaining contestants with a little celebratory jive does some nice kicks. He's followed by judges Mark and Shirley Ballas, who again no shade are dressed alike again surely had a real uh puffy shirt. What was what's the shirt from Seinfeldt? You know the yeah if I was like, wow, this is a it's like a period period shirt renaissance.
Speaker 2: And he was also kind of rocking Prince you know, I know, an.
Speaker 1: Undershirt exactly Prince with an undershirt. I do like it. This is now two weeks in a row. I'm starting to think they're doing this on purpose.
Speaker 2: They make a great scene, though.
Speaker 1: Boy do they. Robert then introduces the hopefuls to this week's guest. She's a two time Mirror Ball champion and a judge on the Australian Dancing with the Stars and a guest judge last season on season thirty four of our American Dancing with the Stars. It's Kim Johnson. How well do you know Kim?
Speaker 2: Pretty well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty well. She was at the Dancing with the Stars con with us, and I find her to be lovely and incredibly talented.
Speaker 2: She is again our time overlapped a little bit on the show. She's kind of the og that yeah, you know, the founding father with my brother and the OG's like I said, but yeah, she's wonderful. We actually went on tour together in twenty sixteen. That was the Alfonso season, the one that Alfonso and Whitney won. And then on that tour we really did bond. We got you know, on tour you get to spend a lot of time together. We were on the bus at that time. We didn't even have the big condo bunks. It was like the three bunks. It was very close quarters. And she was so lovely and such a classy individual, and you know, we we just again we connected and she shared her desire to meet somebody and what kind of somebody she would like. That that's somebody to be. And literally the next season where the promo shoots. Speaking of promo shoot, and she's with Robert, her current husband and father of her two kids. Yes, and it was exactly the person that she described.
Speaker 1: And we looked at each other and we're like, you manifested did this?
Speaker 2: So fast forward ten years, you know, her life has drastically changed, and it was fun to cross paths again at the corn and then seeing her guest judge. I thought she did a great job last year guest judge.
Speaker 1: She was amazing. Yeh, she was so good last season as a guest judge. And then talking about her beautiful husband. She just had her fiftieth birthday and they he threw her a huge birthday party. I thought that was very sweet. Well, Kim reveals that this week, every creative choice will be made by them. Can they elevate to the levels needed for Dancing with the Stars Now? For the first time, they will be performing two full dances in just a couple of days, which is half the time they have on the main show. So it feels a lot like what you've been doing for the past four months, just learning of forty two dances every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of choreography, a lot of choreography, but.
Speaker 2: Again they're doing it with pros. It's interesting how they made the challenge where they're like you cannot contribute to any creative choices. That's the way I understood, right, because yeah, at least in Alan and Whitney's room, she was like, yeah, great, I know totally, yeah, let's do that. And he was good enough, Yeah it's good, Like tell him it's not good.
Speaker 1: I know. It did seem like they didn't even want to be you know, encouraged or you know, dissuaded from something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean again they First of all, I love how they refer to the brief. Yeah, definitely a brief brief. I like the brief.
Speaker 1: The brief's good. It gives you, It gives you, It gives you an idea of exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: I imagine a brief case. Yeah, that opens and boom.
Speaker 1: There it is. That's exactly what you need to do. Well, we learned that for the second dance of the episode, the contestants will be partnered together for one last time, but for the first dance, they will be performing with real life Dancing with the Stars pros, and then Whitney, Riley, Yawn, and Gleb walk on the stage and perform an awesome group number to Talk to Me by Robin. I loved seeing them all out there, how talented of a ballroom dancer. I know every I mean everybody you work with is incredibly talented, but can we talk for a second about how incredibly talented Gleb is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, no, totally, But hold on, We're not gonna just highlight Gleb and not talk about the other three.
Speaker 1: They're all great, they're all wonderful, but I don't know that I. Okay, here's where I'm thinking, Here's why I'm highlighting Cleb. I feel like when Gleb is talked about outside of on the actual Dancing with the Stars show, maybe because of some personal life things, extracurricular activities that go on, that tends to be more of the focus, and I feel like sometimes it gets glossed over how incredibly talented he is totally and it's like watching him dance, you go, if everyone could just keep their nose out of places that they are not supposed to be, we could actually appreciate him for his talent, the way Whitney Riley and this season hopefully Yawn is going to be appreciated for their talent. I feel like Gleb sometimes maybe gets the short end of the stick because of you know, like you said, extracurricular activities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I think Gleb is a extraordinary dancer, probably the best on our show, one of the best easily, you know, And it's so obvious to the eye when you see it. Yeah, and it's a shame, you know, I had that issue with in regards to how my name is mentioned and in other ways. You know, again, he maybe maybe he's caught some bad publicity over the past couple of years, but even good publicity just you know, not pertaining to the craft that we're trying to showcase and that we invested our entire lives in mastering. Like, regardless of whether you're talking about me in a good way or a bad way, you're not talking about the thing that I'm so proud of, right, And that was always a shame for me, Yeah, because I have so much pride in this work, and I know he does too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know, in relations to Next Pro and Dancing with the Stars in general, you wear many hats and you have many different responsibilities, and it would be very naive for you to think that you can just be a really great dancer, right, you know, I wish the world was like that, but you are now on a bigger stage and they're a lot more Yeah, there's a lot more eyes on you, and with that comes great responsibility. Maybe you didn't sign up for but you are here now, yes, And you know, I also didn't intend to be anybody's role model. I feel really awkward when I even though I love preaching. I love teaching and I love speaking to especially young people and inspire them, motivating them, I still feel very uncomfortable with the idea of like, what advice do you have? You know, you have such a successful this, this and that, and I'm like, I don't know. Luck, Yeah, like a lot of luck too, you know, obviously hard work and preparation, et cetera. Being proactive, being hard working, et cetera. But there's no formula, you know. And so yeah, he's a perfect example of somebody that's excellent and it maybe not being enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. Well, the song comes to an end and Whitney informs the group that they will each be performing a different Latin style with their professional partner. This will put both their teaching and choreography skills to the test. Earlier in the day, a drawing was held to set partners and dance styles, and here were the results. Alan is paired with Whitney for the jive and he knows with a powerhouse like her as a partner, he will need to bring his a game. Adele is paired with Gleb and they get the samba. Luckily, this is Adele's favorite dance. AJ is paired with Riley and they will be dancing the cha cha, which leaves Selena to be paired with one of the best humans and dancers around Yan and they drew the salsa. Are there any of those dances? I guess I will just come right out and say, Pasha is not a giant fan of the cha cha. I was very excited for the cha cha and I was like, oh the cha chaw. He's it's not that fun. It's kind of hard to make it look great. He just doesn't like love the cha cha. So when I saw that Aj was paired with Riley and they were going to be doing a cha cha, want is he disappointed in that?
Speaker 2: If you go.
Speaker 1: You might be joes? Oh no, is that a bad one? So would you like, are there any dances there that you would have been like? That's the one you don't really want.
Speaker 2: Uh yes, if again with a celebrity partner respectfully.
Speaker 1: To you, then right, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's not excited for the chacha.
Speaker 1: Right with me? Okay, okay, thanks.
Speaker 2: He was pretty excited for the cha cha with his wife on tour. That was a really good jog.
Speaker 1: That was a great cha cha.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just joking with you. Listen, the church is just hard on the lady. And then when when you're a partner with a celebrity that now has to learn how to chatcha with you know, with with no help legs out like it's just technically it is. It's it's a little bit more of a challenge for the lady than salsa. Has more dividends, you know, like you could do a lift and a jump and a trick and yes, it's still hard. You still have to teach him. There's more roi for you know, there's a small bang for your buck you can throw and that's.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, that's what he said. He was like, compared to a salsa that you can actually just have like a lot of fun in. Uh we wanted to get it out of the way early on, so but.
Speaker 2: But would but just to give you a different perspective, like because he doesn't have to teach Riley how to how to dance cha cha chasha is a pretty good dance to get because it typically musically is is a is a funky you know, a beat. Uh, it's very pop song heavy, you know, so you're going to get a classic a lot of times or a song that people love. So it is. It's thigh energy. There's a lot of chachas that premiere on Dancing with the Stars. Okay, you'll see a lot of it, especially in the male celebrities. They always do very well because.
Speaker 1: They rip off the shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's groove. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Robert finds them that even though they have professional partners, they will be the ones responsible for the creative decisions, including the choreography, and everything will all be reported back to the judges. And I cannot even imagine how hard that was for Gleb, Whitney, Riley and Yon to just have to keep your mouth shut. I can tell you, I cannot picture you in that scenario.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Please somebody tell me what to do, Please tell me what to do. I think that's that's why I'm most if I'm ever like precious about this experience on behalf of the celebs. That's the reason why I'm like, you should be so. I mean, please, somebody if I could go nunchucks with the stars, you know, and have a master nunchuck ninja teaching me.
Speaker 1: Something that that right, right right.
Speaker 2: Just teach me, Like what a gift to be taught, especially in our age were.
Speaker 1: Responsible, I mean in dance, for you to have to be for someone to come in something you know so much about and to just say I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut while you you Wow, Okay, you like it. I can totally see why you'd want to be like a unchuck. Totally get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally. I mean, like so with Adele for instance, I mean I know this from inside information, you know. Gleb was just like, yo, teach me your competition. Yeah, I'll do it. And because he's so nasty, he can dance on the level of a competitive athlete, because that's what that symble was, and we're going to get into that performance. But it's fun to see all these different pros. You could really see who's got what. That's what I meant like. It really felt like a good final four for different reasons. For each individual, you know, and it's like you have Selena and she gave you the the show. Yeah, way TV pop boom awesome. Yeah. And then with Adele, you just saw you saw an Olympic athlete and show you how you know, we watched the Olympics. There's nothing performative about the one hundred meter dash, but we're glued to the athleticism of it. It's so entertaining because it's at the highest level of human performance. Yeah, that's what I'm looking at when I'm watching Adele and that level of samba. So the feedback that they got, yes, you're right, but it's undeniable because of the quality that it is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it was. It was top notch. Robert sends them off to rehearsals with just one day left until their first performance. Adele and Gleb hit it off immediately. They speak to each other at Russian and Adele feels comfortable like she's dancing with her partner back home. Meanwhile, Alan is a little nervous and intimidated with Whitney. Makes sense to me, he's second guessing his choreography, but it's still coming together. She does, however, think he can work on his confidence. Alan says he will do everything in his power to get to the finals for his mom. And then Selena and Jan have a connection as well. They both have commercial dance background, so she's hoping to incorporate a lot of wow moments and maybe bend some rules and perform some lifts and over. In Studio four, Riley immediately notices that a very confident Aj is constantly thinking. As a result, she could see him losing patience with a celebrity if they mess up his choreography. I noticed AJ talking in third person quite a bit this episode. Let Aj lead, He said, let Aj lead you, and I was like, you are AJ sucker.
Speaker 2: He postponed his wedding for this.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've heard, but he has postponed his wedding for this. Yeah, they mentioned it again. He's sacrificed a lot. I I know that these are only a few minutes of edited packages, but I do feel like it's possible AJ fell back into some bad habits.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, Aj, I mean again, you know I'm a big fan of AJ. Yeah, after this episode, you know, I could definitely see him be a pro and dancing with the stars yeah, you know, he's definitely, definitely qualified. It's a matter of whether I'm going to enjoy his work or not, and whether people are going to enjoy working with him. But that doesn't mean that he's not qualified totally. He's obviously super handsome, He's got a great he's got a unique delivery, you know. I mean again, it's the British accent. I think you're forgiven for quite a bit when you when you got like an exotic sounding thing coming out of his mouth. So he's I don't know, I'm because again, he just has such a huge encyclopedia of information. So if you're casting a qualified teacher, he's got that. Do I think he's a star? No, you know, do I think he's it's gonna be so I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, you know, special, not everybody special, But I just I don't I don't think he's got the range in him, the range of movement, or the or the leading man charisma that I'm gonna want to I'm not going to get enough of. But as a professional dancing with the stars, I think he's got a lot of he he will be able to guide a celebrity into a very fruitful experience with a lot of great dancing, great choreography, thoughtful explaining, you know, the delivery with which he explains that that's that's on him, you know, not a whole mind to judge right well, but he's got it. He's got it. He's just you know, he's he's got some character flows.
Speaker 1: It's now. Later that night, the pros and judges have a little dinner together a debrief if he will. Yan reveals that he absolutely loves Selena. She took the lead right away and she is TV ready and Mark reveals that since day one, Selena has been in his top four, so seems like things are coming up. Selena Gleb felt like he was back in his competition days with Adele, but he's worried that the routine might be missing a wow moment, but he did feel wowed by her, saying he's flying in a private jet, not even a Rolls Royce with her. Whitney says that she is enjoying dancing with Alan, but he needs to work on believing in himself a little more. And then Riley, who did feel some lightheartedness in the beginning with aj says it quickly turned into intensity. She's not sure he'll be able to provide affirmations to a celebrity, since there is a lot of pressure being.
Speaker 2: Cultural, not disconnect, but affirmations.
Speaker 1: Then you'll like, you know, you say, you get to the day before, the day before camera blocking, and you're just doing runs all day and you're recording it on your phone, and then you're going and you're looking at it, and you look at it and you watch and it's pretty good, but you're silent the whole time. And then you go see that that right there, that's the part that I need you to I need you to pick your leg up a little bit more. And then another twenty seconds goes by and you're silent, and then you're like, okay, and that that right there, and then you finish watching it. I know myself when especially later in the season, where I was like I'm getting I'm definitely getting better. And sometimes then you watch it and you do, like it a minute and a half long dance, and then you walk away from it. You've just you in your mind, you're like, wow, I did it, And then the only thing you hear are like, there were two things you didn't do right right, needing to needing to have your pro look at you and go damn good, damn good dance right. There still some things I want to work on, but that was killer. Now I'm like, okay, thanks, because I'm holding my breath waiting for you to acknowledge whether or not what I just did that was yes, please, because I am not good and I'm gonna forget this the second we're off the ballroom floor and I'm never gonna do this again. So yes, Riley knows that celebs are sensitive little souls.
Speaker 2: Who that's important. Yeah, that's why they do a great job too. You know, the the Utah crew, they culturally are different. You know, they grow up in a different surroundings.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and that's why again, culturally you have the New York Tristate Area Eastern European crew have a very different relationship with affirmations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I at the very end of my Dancing with the Stars time, at one time I looked at Pasha and I said, next time we do this, before you give me all your notes, could you maybe say good job again? Give me all your notes. I was like, I just just every now and then i'd like to hear good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know where that that stems from. It's almost like it's fluff, you know, and yeah, and we don't. It's almost like that would be disrespectful you and your time. Time is of the essence, you know. I'm sure there's another phrase for how limited time is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Every second passing you're closer to death is probably the rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Why waste our breath on unnecessary word?
Speaker 1: Why waste our breath on feeling good when we could be talking about things that are less than good? Death?
Speaker 2: Oh man, No, it's it's so important because again and I just I'm laughing because I have a tough time with that as well. I'm obviously learning and I've learned that those things make just such a huge difference, you know, the difference in your spirit, if you if you you know you're hearing, the difference between giving you some validation of like, yo, that was smash that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: Great, two things?
Speaker 2: Bumbo? Yeah, can we get that done? Is that going to distract you? Is that okay with you? Like? Does that feel overwhelming? No? No, No, I got that because we could change it a week is simply no, I like that. Okay, cool, let's do it. Everything else is fine. Yeah, that changes the whole energy of how you approach the cleaning after blocking or whatever happens next.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it makes a world of a difference. So with this information we jump right into the show. Night Round one, our final four have entered the ballroom. We've got Robert, Shirley, and Mark now joined by Kim at the judges table. First up is Alan and Whitney, who performed the jive to shake by Steven Sanchez. What did you think of this dance?
Speaker 2: Val great dance. It was a great dance, very sound, very clean. Great. Uh you see it and forget it immediately. Yeah, and the feedback was correct. You know, it's unfortunate, but it's right, like that's a great dance, but we need to see more. And and Whitney is so just so commercially striking, you know. So they I think they mentioned like, you know, she's the queen of finding camera. Yeah, so playing onto simplifying the jive, Like Mark said, I if I'm watching a jive and I'm not going like this like then that it's not you know, if I'm not bobbing my head okay, cool, But besides, bob in your head, like I want you to break that pattern and make me just engage with something that just I don't know creeds. Creed's dimension creates dynamics, you know, it didn't feel like it had those splashes that are those wow moments ver important.
Speaker 1: She also said that it seemed like maybe they were having a hard time building chemistry because they did a lot of side by side action.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so true. Again, yes by side is cool. I just think you know, her and Robert were two different They're different, you know, Alan is a little bit more grown up. They could have had a little bit of a different, like what they said, chemistry, and I think that would have gone a longer way. You know, they went for like very brother sister energy versus like man woman. They they just could have played more into that, into his masculinity, and she is so feminine and so complimentary of a strong masculine presence next to her. So yeah, could have thrown in a little trick in there because she you know, she's also good at that. And she would have told them those things.
Speaker 1: Had she had she been able to share advice, she would have said she.
Speaker 2: Would have definitely she would have been like, great jove, can we just do something fun that that's relatable. I think that's the other thing about Wow, And and something that I had to learn by doing the show quite a bit is coming in as a professional ballroom dancer. Like, yes, is dancing with the stars on the backdrop of ballroom dance. But it's not. This isn't what it's not about just ballroom dancing. It's about creating a show dance. Yeah, that has ballroom dance elements in it, but I want to see the show was the show, And I don't think all of us have the same quality of choreographing for a show.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: And that's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, Kim and Shirley both thought that Alan could have gotten more out of Whitney, and Mark disagrees a little with both the ladies. He calls it the best jive he's seen all season. He said he was bouncing whole time and the steam kept rolling.
Speaker 2: Like, for instance, I think Alan is a better dancer than Aj. Oh okay, but Aj is a better choreographer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, those are places they can from each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like if I'm casting my show. For instance, Bell goes on the road, and I need a cast of dancers. I'm casting Alan over Ag all day. Yeah, but if I'm casting director of Dancing with the Stars, right, I'm more likely leaning towards Aj. I know he's going to be a little bit more soundproof as far as delivering great quality regardless of who his partner is.
Speaker 1: Mhmm. Interesting. Next up is Selena and Jan who perform a salsa to La Moodonza by Bad Bunny and Wow, I love it when Yon gets to be Yon. I just adore him. What did you think of this dance?
Speaker 2: It was? It was great, I mean, so fun, so entertaining. I didn't think I started kind of slow, like I wasn't sure. It wasn't very impressive for the first like, you know, a little bit okay, but it then really exploded. And actually, in hindsight, I think they paced their energy very well because those dances were felt long.
Speaker 1: Yeah they did feel long.
Speaker 2: Uh and uh no, and it was very It just it was fun. I mean, I want to see that again, you know that. That's the difference is like I didn't really care to see that jive again. I would have loved to see that salsa again. Yeah, there was a lot of personality moments. You know, it's like the feedback that Alan got using Whitney for those camera moments. You know, Selena really used Yon and his personality and immediately he like got the got the reaction from the judges. They were laughing at that tight shot of him making a facet. Uh so yeah, and then everything else is like really good choreography that was full of tricks. And you know, again, if like if they go out and compete in salsa competition or I'm not even talking about ballroom dance competition, ballroom dance competition, they're not making the next round. Okay, respectfully, okay at a competition that uh, Alan's jive would be definitely making the next round, you know, but you put that on a show competition or a show dance and rightfully, so it's gonna it's gonna blow that jive out of the water, you know. So it just depends. You know, there's that great phrase. It's like, sometimes it's your surroundings that are creating the perception or your worth rather than your actual worth. So you know, both these numbers are great, but it's like, what what's the what's the stage that they're being performed on because if it's in the proper competitive ballroom dance arena, then one, you know, the quality that's that that exists in Alan, you know, is not there in Selena or in Yon as far as strictly boring. But as performers, as dancers overall dancers, yeah, uh, they are on a different level. And that's why you see the world gravitate to those performances. Whether I like it or not, you know, I think those are you know, these are now we're saying the quiet part out loud, you know, and these are the fact that this show has grown to to to garner such eyeballs and now such curious eyeballs, and because of social media, such you know, given eyebass, we are now really having a public conversation about what the show is, what it's not, what gets rewarded, what doesn't, and it's it's actually that's how I think what makes the show not more fun to watch is because things are being adjusted and talked about in real time, and the impact of those conversations and social media is being reflected on our show in real time. So it is a real synergy between our show and social media and how every show try to capture that relationship and never could. I think it's interesting how Dancing with the Stars was able to do that, and that is by being such a a not open book, but just such a strange diconomy of like what are we being judged on and why and how and let's all discuss and really nailed down the you know, the ten commandments of what makes a great Dancing with the Stars performance. Yes, because it isn't strictly boring, No.
Speaker 1: It is not. The judges absolutely loved it. Mark could picture the dance being performed on Dancing with the Stars Latin night and said everything was in sync. Hymns calls Selena a star and compliments her clever choreography, the type of talent that gets you to the finals. Shirley loves her balance and says every step she takes she nails. The judges were cheering and dancing in their seats while watching them, and that's how they know they found a next pro big win here for them. And now we have Adele and Gleb who perform the samba to Maga Lenha by by Lando con la Istreas, which is Dance with the Stars. The name of the band is by Lando con Lasstreas, which is Dance with the Stars. Pretty great, val. What were your thoughts on these two?
Speaker 2: First of all, I think it's this is like the quintessential samba competition samba song. Like growing up, this was the sambah that we always practice too, and it's like just when you think of the dance, this is the music in the sound man. Yeah, I don't know what was being said in Portuguese, but it sounds a good song. Yeah. So it was like perfect for a dell, perfect for them, and they crushed it, you know, like that's what That's what we all grew up wanting to dance. Like yeah, we just yeah, we just never thought that we would be on TV competing against salsas like the one before. But this is the epitome of like what really great Latin competitive dancing looks like world class? Yeah, on our show, maybe two other people can could have performed that.
Speaker 1: So that way, mm hm, who who could do it?
Speaker 2: I mean one of them is here, one of them.
Speaker 1: Is one of them is the star of this podcast here.
Speaker 2: I would give Brandon a shout out. You can probably handle that. Love it again just as far as heype, maybe obviously quality is there. Yeah, yeah, ok, yeah, I mean I think again, there's just I'm not talking, there's a particular style, yeah, you know, And and I hope people that are watching our show start to differentiate and see the difference. And it's not about like what's good and what's bad. It's about different styles of the same dance and how vastly different they could look. Because because the style of those performers is slightly different, little gestures, you know, Gleb and I kind of just grew up idolizing and appreciating a certain style, a very similar one with very similar idols, and we, you know, competed at a time at a similar time where that style was very popular. Yeah. That was great. I mean again, that was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The judges are just astonished. Throughout the entire performance. Kim tells Adele she nailed it. It's a professional number you would see on Dancing with the Stars. Mark says she moves like a hooded cobra ready to strike, but does think she could have played with the musicality a bit more, but in the end calls it damn near perfect. Shirley considers Adele and Gleb a power couple. She mentions that if she had any note, it is to cater to the Dancing with the Stars audience and remember those one or two wow moments. But other than that, she is a masterpiece. Yeah, I agree, I couldn't I When he said to play with the musicality a little bit more, I was like, wait, what what does that mean? Exactly? Val, what does that? What does that note mean? Play with the musicality more.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the note that I gave to Alan and Whitney, where it was just like, right, just job. They were sounding sombing zalmie the whole time, you know, they didn't like break and then pop back in. Yeah, like like give us a you know, sometimes you need to give us a moment to breathe and digest. It's like, it's like silence in the middle of a really powerful monologue. Right, yes, it could go a long way and give us a second to digest, like what was just said before going into the next thought. The same with dance. I mean, it was just it was overwhelmingly good, but a lot of it, you know, so you almost got to corset a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, I do understand that now, and Finally, it's AJ and Riley with the chat shot A little booth Thing by Paul Russell.
Speaker 2: Little booth thing. My favorite thing is you saying these names.
Speaker 1: I know, I have to read them all very like, Okay, what's this one? I don't know, I don't know. I mean I do know a little booth thingg I know that.
Speaker 2: Song, You'm a little booth thing that one, of.
Speaker 1: Course, Yeah that song is great. Who doesn't know that song? But you know, yeah, the samba song. I'm not as familiar with.
Speaker 2: Maglena.
Speaker 1: Okaya, Maggleene. It's not Magalen. Yeah, okay, Magdelena, Yeah, okay, Magelena. Well what did you think about a J and Riley's cha cha? I mean it was it was good, well choreographed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was well choreographed. Very it was a good piece of dancing with the stars choreographer, right, you know, there was nothing special. Actually, I know they were having a tough time, but I thought Riley's you know again, Riley is just such. She's got star power.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So what she still has to learn and and improve as a dancer or as a choreographer, as a teacher or whatever. Uh, she makes up for it with just her presence. She's got real star power. I don't think he's got star power, you know. So he he's a very smart, uh choreographer and teacher and and he will do a great job guiding celebrity through this journey. Mm hmm. If that's if that's what you're trying to cast, A great teacher who's gonna help if you're looking for, you know, the next Derek Huff that you didn't find them, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, right, Shirley says, aj threw in everything but the kitchen sink for this one and nailed the essence of the cha chaw while showcasing and perfectly leading. Riley Kim agrees and loves his ability to give his partner some wow moments.
Speaker 2: I will I will give give him that. That's really good feedback from Shirley. Shirley clearly really likes Aju. She does, I mean again, because she's seen him do this job and saying that he probably did it pretty well. Yep, but yeah, I gotta She did mention the fact that he, you know, he took a girl that's taller than him, bigger than him, and what would she say? From here, there and there and landed on her foot. That's something she's right, I mean, yeah, yeah, he's scrappy. Like again, I'm an AJ fan, I'm not I'm not hating on a J. He's just you know, we would have been arch nemesis. We wouldn't be friends in high school. But he's awesome. He's very talented. Again, you could see that he.
Speaker 1: He's not lacking in the confidence department, which is super important. I mean the confidence that likely said to pick up a Riley and to throw her around, you know, like that.
Speaker 2: To quote you know, the more ballast of this season next, bro is you know you're gonna be standing next to some killers out there the next to Valve.
Speaker 1: Gotta have confidence, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: But none of this is knocking a J. By the way he stunds lovely.
Speaker 1: Yes he is, and we already know we love Shirley and Shirley loves him.
Speaker 2: So whatever surely says.
Speaker 1: Whatever Shirley wants, surely gets. Mark felt it lacked soul, funk and grit.
Speaker 2: Great. See I love that, Mark, Thanks, you know that's what it is. So it's like, can he acquire that? For sure? He needs to really, he needs to humble himself and start taking lessons elsewhere and all the things. You know, then he'd really win me over because some of those choices are corny. I already called that out before, right there. Sound they're clean, they're polished, they're good, they're musical, they're everything except for cool.
Speaker 1: Right right, And you gotta have some swag, got some swag.
Speaker 2: It's like Selena again, I'm not trying to like prop her up even more, but she made good choices and and and she sells them. She's cool, Like what she does is cool, and I like total So it's it's it does go a long way. Maybe I'm not articulating articulating a well, but I don't know what cool is, you know, but there is an authenticity to cool. Yeah, you know, Alan is also not that cool, mm hmm, but in a different way. Yeah, you know, he's he's he's also wonderful. I could see him be a great professional on our show as well. But he's got a long way to go. Is also as far as his choreography and and you know, his choices. But anyway, let's keep it going.
Speaker 1: With round one done, Robert reminds us there's a whole round to go. And the contestants will partner up with one another one last time. So the girls pick sealed envelopes from Robert and the results are Adele gets Aj as her partner and Selena has Alan. And then there are a second round of envelopes, leaving Aj and Adele with the foxtrot and Alan with the quick step for him and Selena. Remember this is a dance Selena had some issues with last week, so she is happy to get a second chance at it. It's a final attempt to convince the judges that they deserve to be in the finals. So we enter rehearsals once again with one day left before their next big performance. In Studio one. Aj gets intense right off the bat, his calling card at this point. He's determined to travel across the floor more than any other dancers who are attempting a quick.
Speaker 2: Step, fighting words.
Speaker 1: Fighting words. It's only one other couple you're against, one couple of years.
Speaker 2: Feeling himself. I saw that change in the episode. He started speaking with a little more bravado.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, as I said, and calling himself AJ. Three times. He talked in third person.
Speaker 2: He's good, man, He's good, He's uh. He did a great job with this routine. Yeah, he was passionate about it. He's again, I mean.
Speaker 1: He's fired up. I don't know if you know this, but he had to postpone his wedding.
Speaker 2: He did postpone. Did he ever get married?
Speaker 1: I don't know, who knows. Maybe he's still postponing it. So meanwhile, Selena and Allan are taking in all the prior feedback they've gotten from the judges and incorporating them into the dance. Alan is thrilled to be dancing with Selena, but being the last commercial dancer in the competition makes her nervous. And then back with Aj, he starts talking in the third person. This is this is when it happened. It's never a good sign A Jay really wants to go to the finale. Adele knows that's what AJ wants. But this is.
Speaker 2: Very much about AJ.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is all about AJ. AJ wants what AJ wants. And listen, these two are incredibly talented, so you know, I hopefully their intensity can translate when it matters the most.
Speaker 2: But again, it's like he's making good choices within reason. Obviously, you know, cool or not cool, there's still I said it weeks ago. You know, decisiveness is really important, and those crucial times that you have X amount of time to complete a routine, like you could have the coolest ideas if they never came into realization, like who cares right where you could have some corny, all reliable ideas and just go with it and put together a cleaner routine and win the show.
Speaker 1: Right back at the house that night. And here's where I realized, we do not get a got to be moment this week. I didn't see it. I watched twice looking for it. In the end, I feel like my hair is going to suffer for it. So I missed it this week. Either way, the dancers are feeling the stress and going over their routines knowing that tomorrow night someone's dream is coming to an end, and we waste no time because it is now shown night round two. Surely wants to see good posture and proper frame, but above all else, she wants them to have fun. And so first up, it's Alan and Selena with a quick step to Valerie by Amy Winehouse. Now, val let's hear your thoughts on this semi finals dance for Alan and Selena.
Speaker 2: I thought it was uh.
Speaker 1: A minus a minus. Oh, okay, that's better than I thought I was. To be honest, I feel again like it was pretty forgettab it was lackluster. It was it was lackadaisical. I didn't love it. I didn't. I didn't. I don't want to see it again. No, don't don't really remember much from it.
Speaker 2: No, then and this is this was Yeah, this was what sent Alan home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was this dance for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, it should have had a little a little bit more entertainment. I don't really care about the quick step. Yeah, just do a couple of runs around and then do the show thing, and then do a couple more runs and then do the show thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think again, I think he ran out of steps. That's where he needs to improve, which he can. I mean again, that's that's not easy, but it's doable. Like go back it take just invest in learning new wow moment vocabulary, and then you'll have it. You know, once you could tap into some of those moments. Everything else. He knows how to link. He knows it's pretty good. You know, his quality of dances is up there. He knows all of this stuff. He just ran out of cool steps and ended up just running around without any real purpose or intention. You know, there were moments that just at that point, it's like every move has to have some sort of value to it, right, you know. Right, It's like, I know, it's not good when they do the cutaways, and the cutaways are more than one second and quite frequent, like right, So then so we could look away from the routine m hm, you know, And it had quite a few of those, So no, I just didn't think it had any sort of impact.
Speaker 1: Surely compliments their personalities and ability to shine on stage. Kim admires their musicality. She can tell they'd make for very fun partners if she was a celebrity on the show, and Mark says they nailed everything needed in the quick step and could genuinely see either one of them on Dancing with the Stars tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing that was unfortunate for Alan is that we saw him do the jive and then we saw him do the quick step, and we just saw him be the Lavador retriever and like he would have had a few more things, he had worse steps left in other styles, I think.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, we got to see a lot of jumping around. Yeah. Well, now with tonight's final dance, it's Adele and Aj performing the foxtrot to Too Sweet by Hosier. What did you think of this routine? Oh yeah, so yeah, comfortable all a mode with some ice cream on top. Yes, really great. I mean Mark says that no matter how much the show evolves, one thing that will never go out of style on Dancing with the Stars is true classic ballroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like the movement was great, but it was it was him loving it and her loving it. You know, he loved it so much and that gravitated like this was the most charming I've seen him. Look, yeah, I really just this is the coolest I've ever seen him. Look, because that's where he's cool, you know, in the fox trots, the proper frame, the you know, that's where all of that essence is cool, and he's trying to be other things then it's inauthentic. This is very authentic and his enthusiasm for the way he spoke about it. And you know, his father is an ex champion I think, mostly in ballroom dance, so this is like, yeah, it is what he does. And he does take a lot of pride in that, and I felt that, but I felt it less from an ego standpoint and more from a real passion standpoint in this particular dance more than the other ones where I felt like he was just competing and being you know, power tripping. He just knows what he knows, and he knows these moves work, and so let's just do these moves here. He really knew, you know, knew that these moves work. But also it was just like really passionate about doing them. Yeah, excited to do them. And I felt that and that was really fun. And she's excellent and he led her really well and she added to the performance. So it was great, Yeah, really really good. But but again it was it was the best I've seen him look to.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think the word instead of cool, which is so hard to define, there's a little bit of there's you need edge, you need a little bit of edge, and there's he's he's edgeless, he's able exactly Well. Kim was blown away, calling it perfection and complementing Adele's sexiness. Shirley calls Aj a star, but hopes he appreciated the lovely lady on his arm. She calls them the new generation of Dancing with the Stars, and I mean, and that's.
Speaker 2: Saying AJ really, how old is he? Like?
Speaker 1: Oh really? Oh that's funny. These four really felt like a good final four. I mean it felt great. It's not an easy decision, and you know, I'm looking at all four of them, like you said, for all for different reasons. They all have strengths, they all have weaknesses. They all could probably be pros on Dancing with the Stars, and yet they would still all have things they need to work on.
Speaker 2: So you know, listen, I just I took a lesson this afternoon. Wow, from somebody that's better than me and more qualified than me. You know, I think we always have something to learn. And if we're not learning, then what are we doing? You know? You anxious? If I'm learning something new?
Speaker 1: Well, it's time for the elimination who will make the finals? Before the big announcement and emotional surely compliments each of the four dancers on their strengths and then has the difficult job of feeling that Tonight, after deliberation, the very tough decision was made to send home Alan. I will say I thought they made the right decision looking at It was a difficult choice for sure, but looking at the two different performances we got from all of them tonight, Alan is just you know, and some of that's also luck, Like you said, the fact that he had a jive and a quick step, both of those were randomly chosen, Like maybe if.
Speaker 2: We step, if there was like apastable, Yeah, he can throw her around, he could thrash her on the ground, like all the things that you don't really do that in the quick step. Now, he could have thought outside the box and been like, Hey, we're gonna do like a scissor kick leap down to the ground that I'm going to slide in. She'll do a kip while I slide behind her because she can, yeah, and do some maybe some other acrobatic thing like you should have workshopped a few more, a few more moments that potentially aren't quick step essentials but can enhance a performance to be in the dance, right, It was the right choice.
Speaker 1: It was the right choice. As sad as we are to see Alan go, he's such a such a lovely guy.
Speaker 2: He is a lovely guy. And I will second that he actually is a lovely guy in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've already said, which is such a compliment that if you were looking for dancers right now, Alan would be at the top of your list, you would you would cast him today. I didn't say the very top he would be, he rise to the top?
Speaker 2: Would hear the top? Okay, he's reliable, he's amazing in the room, he's a great team player, he's just yeah, and he's qualified.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, Alan admits that he is devastated, but he's also very proud of the way he performed and he should be. He hopes his mom would be proud, and as viewers, we all know that she would be. And Robert has one last chat about Alan's passion and the inspiring story he brought to the show, and then he gives us a goodbye while everyone cries and hugs behind him. And next up, one more episode val it's the finale. We have adele Aj and Selena dueling for the final spot, and we find out the last episode is going to have a live studio audience and more celebrity partners as they will be joined by Neve Schulman, Adam Raupon and Charlie Demilio. That's exciting, well.
Speaker 2: Both of those guys were Jena's partners.
Speaker 1: Oh right, that's right, and mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Some will say with me, yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: Who did win the season she was on with Neveh?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Well, val our journey is coming to a close after only one more episode and then you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna miss you, but we'll be back. We'll have more stepping on toes. Oh, I know we're gonna We're gonna keep stepping on to What do you want, like, subscribe? Tell us what you want? Look at you professional podcaster can send your emails to vow At.
Speaker 2: This was so fun.
Speaker 1: This was so great. And next week we've got a we've got a huge finale.
Speaker 2: I know, it's been so great just talking. So somebody in the comments was like, I love the show, but man, vow really spoke a lot the show, really let us know about his private private life. He knows this is about the damn show. Right, I'm wait till.
Speaker 1: What episode was that? I'm dying. I need to go find that comment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think of the last one. I want an old tangent abo, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Listen the husual I love your tangents. Listen, go watch a movie with your son and your beautiful wife, and tell tell Jenna to call me right now and tell me we've got to talk. Okay, Thank bye, Thank you all for listening.