Speaker 1: Howard, my dad was te vowed by an utility vehicle and isn't surgery. Now what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to hear about that.
Speaker 3: It's really great that you're getting him the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected and turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Ankin, and I'm here to help if you are a loved one. I have been heard at work for in a car truck to write your accident.
Speaker 2: Called three one two six million injury law made personal. That's aaken law.
Speaker 4: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you a new episode of the Soccer Gine podcast. I'm your host, Josh Nelson. We are recording this on Wednesday nights, July one, twenty twenty six. After the Chicago White Sox ended up losing on Wednesday to the Baltimore Orioles. But they won the first two games and that is huge because they finally snap their road series losing streak, finally winning a road series since early May back in San Diego.
Speaker 5: And this is a good.
Speaker 1: Omen because now the White Sox had the Cleveland which is to date the biggest series of the season for the Chicago White Sox as they still hold a one game lead over the Cleveland Guardians and the American League Central.
Speaker 5: Joining me is Sox Machines.
Speaker 1: Beat reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolis. And hello, gentlemen, Let's start with recapping what happened in Baltimore as the White Sox had two easy wins on Monday and Tuesday thanks to the offense. And again the White Sox are forty five and forty.
Speaker 5: On the season.
Speaker 1: And James, you recently wrote a wonderful feature with it's plenty profanity from White Sox hitting coach Derek Showman, and I'm sure he is going to enjoy as far as those quotes, as he got excited last.
Speaker 5: Time about it. And I found it very.
Speaker 1: Interesting because it continues this line of coaching and thinking from Will Venable of leading with empathy and on a hitting perspective, not trying to put too much pressure on the hitters, allowing them to make stakes, understand that they want their A swings and to continue to try to do as much damage as possible. Do we get a chance to see some of that come to light against Baltimore, especially in the first two games of this series.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it's like something that's like their overall methodology, which is very warm or conducive, at least they say so to like coming back in terms.
Speaker 7: Of like the players believing, you know, they.
Speaker 6: Not getting discouraged, not kind of getting wrapped up with their mistakes, you know, even kind of accepting that in getting multiple shots at a starter maybe not even having success, or just trying to get to the bullpen of general, that there's always kind of opportunities in the game. I think Showman's even referenced like telling him about like when they're down in big games that they still get paid off the at bats that they have late innings, which is like, I think a refreshing tone for them to take so.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 6: I can't say, like, oh, they had like a pep talk in the seventh inning after like bas departed on Monday, and like that's why they rallied. I think that their general attitude of like moving on from mistakes quickly and not necessarily like having a restrictive response to or even just like a reactive response like not getting to a starter or not getting like offense going early in the game and being kind of not doing things that kind of facilitate panic or self doubt or just kind of like frustration early in the games. I think they view that as something that pays dividends broadly and certainly like keeps them in a good frame of mind when they're down in games. So that's at least what they attribute, you know, having have so many comeback wins and having so many especially recently, like because they try to slug. I feel like they've had some outings recently where the starter like has a pretty efficient you know start or pretty efficient open to the game where they're getting through the lineup once or twice on a limited amount of pitches, just because like the Socks are so often trying to like blitz strikes that they see early that bad and not wait for them, and the fact that that doesn't seemingly like build panic in them or see them kind of spiral into losing their approach or not like even just kind of hunkering down a bit more and working account later in games as they adjust mid game is something that I guess they at this point view he was endemic to what they're doing overall, and like kind of the environment they're building for hitters. So yeah, that's part of the positive feelings that they have. Also generally just they got a lot of pop. They got a little left fan of pop and that should play well in that ballpark, and it certainly did for a couple of games.
Speaker 7: I think we wanted.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a good example too from White Sox as far as the culture that they are building Jim when it comes to the offensive side, is allowing young employers like Jacob Gonzalez to take islamps. He had a pretty lengthy hitless streak, but in the last ten games, Jacob Gonzalez has figured out how to hit MLB pitching and that is huge, especially in the bottom of the lineup where he's batting ninth and he's coming in with these big doubles, especially against Baltimore that seemed to be backbreaking, where Orioles pitching things that they have a breather here because they're facing number nine hitter and they still get hurt. And in this series against Baltimore. Gonzalez went five for a lets been with six RBIs. But when it comes to Jacob Gonzalez, Jim Munitzaka Murakami could be returning soon. We don't have a definitive date when Munittako Burkami returns, but when he does, and with how Jacob Mignzalez has been hitting, how do you see Jamgonzalez fitting in with the current White Sox roster.
Speaker 9: There's always the caveat that every time we try to plot out what a rosterill look like. When a player returns from injury, somebody else gets hurt and so you never have this confluence of healthy guys that are going to spell at the end of Luis an Helicunya like Austin Hayes.
Speaker 8: Eversin Pereira, like we've been playing that game.
Speaker 9: With the outfield, so like I'm hesitant to do it with any part of the White Sox roster, be it rotation or innfield or anything else.
Speaker 8: Because of the way an injury ends up.
Speaker 9: Solving the problem. Well enough, but let's say let's indulge your question and say Murakami comes back with nobody else missing time, and I think this, You know there are.
Speaker 8: A couple of ways to do it.
Speaker 9: This could finally be the end of Luisan Hellacunya because he isn't really playing in the outfield much anymore now that Tristan Peters is more or less the everyday center fielder, and if he's the backup shortstop, well, you know, my Drath and Gonzalez can cover that well enough. And it seems like Akunya just right now, he's kind of a bunter, especially with the runners on base, like he more or less gives himself up, or whether it's he's terrified of grounding to a double player, uh you know, the coaching staff is, or they just want to get something out of his back. They're almost treating him like a pitcher when he comes to the play with a runner on base. So you could use this as the opportunity to be like, well, you know it's Kunya can go out, we will have an eight to nine part of the lineup, no matter who's pitching. That feels like you can start something for the top of the order, you know, because either Gonzales will be down there or my draft will be down there. So there's that approach, but that requires probably a big chunk taken out of my drafts playing time, which some people might be okay with because of his platoon splits. But I think the White Sox have been generally supportive of him or like they you know, they like the defense he brings, the overall approach he brings, and aren't dismissing him as a platoon player yet. So if that's the case, then it seems like probably Gonzales goes down just because yeah, a kunya, say what you will about him, but the White Sox really don't care how often they play him, Like if he plays one day a week, it's more or less fine because he's out of options, and if they lose him or they try to put them their waivers, they might lose him, and that's not something they seem like they want to do until it gets that points where their hand is forced. And if they want Gonzales to play every day, then he can go back to Charlotte's and maybe go back to positions of need that they can anticipate, be a second base or be more of a utility guy versus being somebody who's forced in the first base and just wait for the next opportunity to pop up. I guess the other one would be, you know Andrew Benin Tendy is you know DH right now is left handed bats. So if you want a Gonzalez to be more of a DH or use that really more of a flex spot versus Ben and Tendy hogging those bets, that would be another way to do it than you relegate Bet and Tending to the bench. But you know, everybody seems like they're more or less happy with him being the veteran presence on the bench, especially since he's playing well with Gritchik, you know, being somebody that can swap in and out. So it seems like they have a good arrangement there. So I would say I would anticipate the most likely scenario being Gonzalez goes back down to Charlotte's, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on it over Kunya finally getting waived or dfad see if he clears waivers, just because they could step on the gas and say we want to have a threatening lineup no matter what, and we'll see how Gonzalez plays when he's playing half the time versus most of the time.
Speaker 1: Well, there's Junior Perez who he had a three run homer against the Orioles. Is that an opportunity to option back to Charlotte without having to lose Luisa Halikunya.
Speaker 9: They could, but just more a matter of like if they want, you know, Gonzalez doesn't play the outfield yet, so if they're looking to get him at bats, that's where I think you kind of run into problems is can you know Gonzalez.
Speaker 8: Be on the roster but also get at bats?
Speaker 9: And who's at batsayes he take and I don't think he threatens perezes at bats to where you know he's in the factoring the discussion.
Speaker 1: Oh they have maybe Jim finally found more bats than spots White Sox lineup.
Speaker 7: But they haven't done it yet.
Speaker 6: They have to actually get there, like where comedy is like one into two or more weeks away, Like until they actually reached that point, they're not more bats than spots.
Speaker 7: It's the problem with like doing this.
Speaker 6: Who happens when somebody goes like pumps back projection is that you were never actually overloaded until you.
Speaker 7: Reach the point, which is the whole reason you need covered.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yes, I know that's what Jim mentioned earlier when needs.
Speaker 8: More flustered fashion.
Speaker 2: They're over eight million drivers in the state of Illinois. With that many people on the road, accidents are bound to occur. I'm Attorney Howard Ankin, and if you or someone you care about has been involved in an auto rideshare trucking accident, I'm here to help. Called my office for a free consultation at three one two six million. I'm Heroin. You need me injury law made personal, that's akin law.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the players that we were hoping or we thought needed a big series against Baltimore. We know about the White Sox starting pitching, and Noah Schultz returned and he took the start on when and things were going pretty smoothly until the fifth inning, and James, that was your pick. White Sox could use some help in the starting rotation. They could really use someone to be that number five starter in this rotation right now. What did you like from Noah Schul to start on Wednesday?
Speaker 6: His slider played for whifts to each handed hitters.
Speaker 7: I guess as well as he could have hoped.
Speaker 6: It obviously didn't carry him through the fifth inning or anything like that. But in terms of like showing progress or showing the sweeper playing the tops the handed hitters. I want to say one like the CSW was pretty good, but just in general, like I think it was fourteen swinging strikes like that was pretty happy z own for him to be in overall, it's just like, especially more so if he's like throwing strikes, which he's still not doing to his efficient degree, and and it's kind of out a character outside of like when he's dealing with knee stuff and you've obviously had him miss a bunch of time with recurring the stuff last year and kind of have it this year. So it's it wasn't exactly like, ah, this looks like him top operational gear even outside of like not saying like he's not healthy, but just in terms of like the Noah Schultz, it's like going to be, you know, take be a dynamic part of the rotation going forward, and the second half as you're worried about like upgrading rotation, would like to see like more or less uncompetitive misses in general. And so a little little of what he needed and a little like stepping back from like what is the baseline profile of what makes it work, which is you know, kind of his own So but on the one side, I thought like they need a good start from him because maybe like the bullpen would be needed in the first two games, and said it wasn't needed at all really beyond like some grand tailor work, so they didn't need him to get the six innings to like have a you know, coherent plan to end the game and just not doing anything offensively took care of that. So at least depends on a good place going in Cleveland. So that part of like needy Noh Schultz didn't come up as much, But I don't know, some good, some bad.
Speaker 5: And that was given me.
Speaker 1: My follow up is what you're hoping to see that he can approve upon because he's going to get an extra day of rest as the White Sox have Monday off after their Sunday game against Cleveland and they'll be returning to action at home at rat Field against the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday, July seventh. Then Noah Schultz right now is projected starter. Is there a milestone or what aspect of Noah Schultz's start against the Red Sox are you hoping for more improvement?
Speaker 6: James under three Walks, I think is like a probably a crude way to say it, but certainly like being able to locate the sinker just fast falls a bit more and work accounts more like. I think those are general things that would work towards you know, you were walks, which is more just like tag into a result. But I felt like it was kind of there's maybe like one of those walks where he's just like, all right, you lost a good battle and you don't really fault him for it. But I think the rest were just kind of like spraying the fastball a bit, which he knows he was kind of like up and down with control through the rehab process of him being rusty. A little bit like that happens, but more so than like it's nice to see the whiffs uptick. But like if Schultz is like a seven or eight KPRI nine guy with like control and like a fifty percent ground ball, right, we'd be like, all right, that looks like the guy who's coming up as a prospect. Whereas like there's not really big precedent of like him being super effective while like working Dylan C style where.
Speaker 7: He's walking three to four guys per AUTI got it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, we'll see what Schultz does again. His next projected start is against the Boston Red Sox. Next Jim Yervick was Colson Montgomery and he hit his twenty first home run of the season. He did go two for ten against the Orioles with four strikeouts, but he also did drive in three RBIs. Is that a satisfying outcome for you from Colson Montgomery in this series?
Speaker 9: It's in terms of how it played, Yeah, I mean just because the homer was really impressive, you know, in those Utah Street violent four hundred and forty footers always fun to watch, and you know, one hit a game is kind of the baseline for you contributed something, So that part worked, I think, you know, kind of bigger picture is it fits in Wealth is June in which he kind of hit two hundred and he slugged pretty well, But he also struck out nearly forty.
Speaker 8: Percent of the time.
Speaker 9: So four strikeouts and ten played appearances is a lot, and you just wonder how long that can continue. Like he's been contributing while doing that, So it's not a case where you're sounding any alarms necessarily, but it's kind of like the long time to go on striking out forty percent of the time and think like, is it gonna get better or is it going to have to pay the price of having so many empty plate appearances to where you're gonna see a kind of pronounced slump that you know requires some intervention besides.
Speaker 8: The odd game off.
Speaker 9: So it's okay, just at some point, you know you'd like to see him you break this strikeout Jaggie's been on.
Speaker 8: And produce more. You raise the average a little bit.
Speaker 9: But if he's able to somehow go one for five or a game and hit the occasional homer, like that's uh, it's hard to bank on a two hundred average playing that well or that practically, but you know he's he's found a way to do it so.
Speaker 8: Far in his career.
Speaker 1: Is this an Adam Dunn hitting profile? But it actually can play shortstop a fewer walks.
Speaker 8: So it's a case where yeah, it's yeah, there's.
Speaker 9: There's more of a hit tool, but it's also like the hit tools tested more because he goes out of the zone more, and I think he's trying to. You can see him thinking long with pictures and pictures getting to him because like they're gonna tack me high and then they go higher than high and somehow it you know, he ends up chasing out.
Speaker 8: So yeah, and it's he's a work in progress.
Speaker 9: Still, like he said in James Post the show and post like when I'm struggling, I'm adjusting and just been Yeah, I guess you could just say there's been a lot of adjustments lately. But fortunately, you know, playing shortstop and not having like the numbers are down, but he hasn't had like the huge hitless slump, but he had one in the middle of the month. But lately it's just been like one hit a game mostly, and that's fine. It's just it's you know, it's not great for the season numbers, but as it plays for a shortstop kind of like Tristan Peters in center field, Like if he's playing a good center field and he comes up with a single, uh you know, that's something that will keep his value afloats until he uh you know, it gets on a heater.
Speaker 1: Well, again, it is twenty one home runs or Coleson Montgomery, he's on pace to maybe get to forty home runs this year. Only one White Sox shortstop in franchise history has hit twenty five or more home runs Pop quiz do you remember who that shortstop is?
Speaker 7: Jim?
Speaker 8: Is that Ron Hanson?
Speaker 5: No, okay, more recent, Jose James. It is Jose Valance.
Speaker 7: It's Jose Valentine. Josh, thank you, James, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: Jose. Jose did it three times.
Speaker 1: Nobody else for White Sox shortstops has hit twenty five home runs.
Speaker 9: Hanson topped out at twenty, but it was a nineteen sixty Ford old Comisky Park so had played really big.
Speaker 8: Yeah, end up being his seven point seven war season.
Speaker 1: Uh Wanner Reba came close. Alexi Ramirez came close. Tim Anderson came close, but Coles Montgomery just needs it four more and he joins very rare company in White Sox franchise history.
Speaker 5: And then my pick was Tristan Peters.
Speaker 1: Tristan had a solid series, went four for twelve against Baltimore, solid performance. I thought that he was going to be the one to maybe help carry the offense and set the table for top of the lineup with his performance at the bottom of the lineup, but that ended up being Jacob Gonzalez again, Jacob Gonzalez picking up six RBIs in that series win against the Baltimore Orioles, so good series win for the White Sox. Also a cap tip, I thought that Sean Burke looked really strong as well Jim on Monday, and he seems to be on a heater right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's he's helped stabilize the rotation. I think he's been the if not a number two started the way you classically think of one, at least number two started this rowation needs behind Davis Smartin, I think Athony k is been. Yeah, he's pitched more like a number four than number three, but he's kind of a number three right now because Eric Fetti needs know whether it's opener supporter, whether he's like about to go five inning. It's like he's more of a number five as a number four. So everybody's kind of like one slot down in this rotation. But like we talked about with the mid season grades, it's it's worked so far, it hasn't been the problem, and every turn where it's it doesn't get exposed or you don't feel that cumulative effect of like.
Speaker 8: One guy disappointing, another guy disappointing.
Speaker 9: Because they're all pitching slightly above their pay grades.
Speaker 8: That's basically a win.
Speaker 5: Well for the White Sox.
Speaker 1: They made their way from Baltimore to Cleveland on Wednesday to get ready for a very important four game series against the Cleveland Guardians. The Guardians won their last game against the Texas Rangers. They're currently forty five and forty two, so they are just a game back of the Chicago White Sox, even though the White Sox have two games in hand in their last ten games. The Guardians are four and six at home this year. Even though they're one of the few teams of the American League that has a winning record on the road, their home record is just twenty two and twenty so they're not seeing the same level of success like the White Sox have or even like the Tampa Bay Rays. For the season series, the Chicago White Sox currently lead that against the Guardians, as the White Sox won that last series at raid Field, winning two out of three. Your probable pitchers for this series. Thursday night, it is Davis Martin against Slade Socni. Friday night it's Anthony k against Gavin Williams. Saturday it's Sean Burke against Parker Messek, and then on Sunday we'll see if there's an opener, But right now it is Eric Fetti against Tanner, Biby and James with these games beating Cleveland. Run prevention is a big factor in how these games go between the Guardians and the White Sox. So many defensive blunders in Cleveland over the years have cost the White Sox games, and right now opposing teams are only scoring three point ninety two runs per game against the Guardians in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: But I think one.
Speaker 1: Of the bigger factors and the way that Will Venable has to manage this series is how does he use his best bullpen weapons in Grant Taylor and Sean Newcom. Do you have any insight or any thoughts on how he could use those two in these four games.
Speaker 6: Well, if I've learned anything from writing about his strategy, I think he will use them aggressively.
Speaker 5: Josh, you kind of use him often, I'd be.
Speaker 6: Sur I don't think with like necessarily special consideration, like you're talking about, like these a lot of lefties that they'll probably stretch out over the course.
Speaker 7: Of the order.
Speaker 6: Zana the Lotter, you know, Watson's been a menace. Mazarta, Cooper Ingle they called up even you know Kwan has struggled, but it seems like he's still regularly Stephen Quanta against the White Sox. Taylor and Newcomb are both being multi inning presence usually are your answer to them trying to stagger out their lefties, Like all right, I'm just going to like.
Speaker 7: Wipe out a whole.
Speaker 6: Slate of like you know, time to the order of them coming up and leverage and so because both they offer that function to them rather than like trying to be super targeted with get as many as you can, like one Brian Hudson outing. I think on top of like that, generally, like their approaches like if they have a lead, they if a win in sight, they're going to like go aggressively at it rather than like conserve resources for like say they're up five to two and try to protect like that lead over the last like two innings and there's like ultimate lefties. I think he'd sooner it's like, hey, let me just put Grant Taylor, who's great against left he's at this and salt this game away, rather than like, oh, I'm worried about like Saturday, and I don't want to use Grant too much. We're gonna actually go to make Sir Anthony Demingaz, like go into the teeth of this. I don't think they're gonna play that conservation game, so I don't think that.
Speaker 7: I'd be surprised.
Speaker 6: Maybe there's a little like half of your consideration for it if like the situation allows or if like the certainly if the game like opens up in another inning, like if you're gonna go for two for Newcomber Taylor and like the SoCs score three and like in between like what would be his two innings, maybe you back off there for future thing. But I don't think that they would necessarily sacrifice or take like undue risk for the idea of like oh we want Taylor or newcome back.
Speaker 7: On Sunday sort of situation.
Speaker 6: I think what would be consistent with them would be, all right, here's the opportunity, let's go for it at full force and take this twin and because I mean another if, I don't think it really enter their strategy. But maybe like a back your mind thing is like they only need a split from this to leave Town with the lead in the division, So maybe don't over complicated.
Speaker 5: That's a good point. These were tight games at rate Field.
Speaker 1: I'm imagining that these are still going to be tight games in Cleveland. So that's why I'm I'm more wondering about how often Taylor is used in this upcoming series. Ken they use him in two of the four games, Jim, because if they can, then I think that gives them an opportunity when they do use him, that they can, as James point out, walk out with a split. But it'd be not in the White Sox favor of course, if they use Grant Taylor and they end up losing that game. So this is where I am curious to see and how the White Sox handle as far as these late inning situations coming out of the bullpen, and maybe we'll see just exactly how much confidence they have left in Syriante Domingas.
Speaker 9: I'm guessing Taylor would be, you know, two innings if they have a lead, one inning if they're behind. He needs to get some work because he hasn't thrown in five days, and then keep them available for their back to back or two out of three games with the lead, you know, trying to really prioritize that. I think with Dimingas, I'm curious if they still go to him in the sixth inning or seventh inning, you know, versus the bottom of the order if they try to work him in earlier in a game, versus having it being the last line of defense or having to be back to buy like a Chris Murphy or something like that in the you know, in a closer type situation, if they've already used Taylor and they want to Writey in there. So yeah, I think it's probably a bigger series for figuring out the dimingas thing in the fly versus Taylor.
Speaker 8: I think the Taylor usedage is pretty solid and he's.
Speaker 9: Been really good as of late, so where it should be pretty if not paint by numbers because they've used him unconventionally, but at least you know what he's gonna you know what he's going to enter based on leads and part of the lineup.
Speaker 8: But I think Domingas is more the mystery.
Speaker 1: Well for the Guardians, Chain Lauder has returned for them and he's currently on a ten game hitting streak. We did not see him in the series against the White Sox, and we used to be worried about Rosier Emirez and Stephen Kwan, but it feels like with the rookies that.
Speaker 5: The Guardians have Jim.
Speaker 1: We spent a lot of time talking about the White Sox rookies and how they have been excelling. But Dulauder, Khalil Watson, Travis Bizana, these three really feel like the big threats against White Sox pitching this weekend.
Speaker 8: It was kind of that story last year.
Speaker 9: It's sneaky how it happened, but I was looking at the Guardians splits against the White Sox. Last year, Jose Ramirez had a three ninety four ops against the White Sox. Last year, Stephen Kuan had a five h seven ops against the White Sox. They drew still drew their share of walk so I think game to game he had bats were tough. And also Ramira stole six bases and six attempts, so like he made himself a nuisance even though he wasn't hitting like, he maximized the times he was on bass to where it didn't feel like the White Sox really got one over on him. But when he get who did the damage was among the four digit ops's, it was David Fry, Kyle Manzarto. But then in the number two spot, Jen Kenzie Noel, Who's I think in triple.
Speaker 8: A right now he's out of the Guardians organization. And then CJ Cafus.
Speaker 9: Number one, who is not who is he played himself out of the mix, is on the forty men roster. But in Triple A he went off for the time that he was so like Khalil Watson coming up and immediately proving himself of pain even though he can't draw a walk in the majors. Like that fits right in with the Cafus thing of like CAFs didn't play that well last year, but he played well against the Socks. And there's always somebody, you know, whether it's whack the mole, whether it's h you know, exhausting all the resources to face the big guns and then they just.
Speaker 8: Ease up or just.
Speaker 9: You know, you know, just the way it shakes out is a lesser hitter getting more favorable pitches to hits in high leverage situations when they think they're out of the woods. So it's it's I think the games didn't have stakes last year, so I think that's probably, you know the reason why it wasn't so granular in terms of whether Ramirez or Kwan or trying to figure out who made a series or who broke a series open for the Guardians. But I think now that we're paying closer attention, it's worth looking at that and saying, well, you know, Quand still a pain.
Speaker 8: But also you know it's when it comes.
Speaker 9: To the Guardians, they managed to Maybe maybe it's a case of they just game plan against the White Sox really well, or it just happens to be luk And because it's a division opponent and you see these guys so many times, it's inevitable that somebody without a track record is going to make themselves a pain. Like even like Austin Hedges is playing really well this past month, he's man just step up and be somebody who is maybe not a the sample's too small to call him the bats, but he's no longer like an automatic out in a ninth spot. They're finding ways to get their three or four run a game even without Ramiros.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Patrick Bailey hasn't been much of a factor for the Guardians, mostly because pitchers love throwing to Austin Hedges. And to your point, Jim Hedges has instead of trying to hit a home run every time at the play, he's just trying to get on Bay so he's getting a lot more production offensively than normal. Not a very good offensive catcher still, but he's still producing defensively.
Speaker 7: For the Guardians, he's.
Speaker 6: Got a one o two WRC plus on the year after homering today. Not to undercut your point entirely, but.
Speaker 5: That's is that a career high for Austin Hedges.
Speaker 7: I would imagine, yeah, have a good amount.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you could add this WRC plus of the previous three years together, which is not mathematical, and it would still be below one o two.
Speaker 9: So for correct it would be twenty seven plus twenty one plus forty eight, so forty eight plus forty eight ninety six.
Speaker 5: Wow, good for you, Austin Hedges. Let's not have a big weekend against the White Sox. Who needs a big series?
Speaker 1: For the White Sox, so James, I will start with you in order for the White Sox to at least get a series split or maybe win this series against the Guardians, who needs a big series?
Speaker 6: So this is from the White Sox perspective, who needs to shine rather than like, yeah, who needs this big series? Like in a you know, Gill from the Simpsons type of desperation and the job to the workplace perspective.
Speaker 1: Is there someone right now in the White Sox that's in a Gill situation?
Speaker 6: That's certainly just the way I interpreted the question last week, So now I've been questioning my process. I think with all the leftings we've talked about in the batting order, tall ass since he just faced them pretty recently. But I think Anthony Kay having especially with you talking about like, oh, how are they going to meet out the Grant Taylor to get through this? Kay getting them through six or seven even would or certainly just matching the effectiveness of the Hado his last time out, given that they'll probably be figuring out how to open for Betty or maybe even Burke as well.
Speaker 7: Just being their only left handed starter in that.
Speaker 6: Mix, I think that continuing to be play as an advantage would probably be big for them, especially coming off a rough one in Kentas City that said, don't.
Speaker 7: Really see the same. They have some lefties in the bullpen.
Speaker 6: They have a couple Heron and Sebrowski are certainly good, but like certainly with Kate Smith or just kind of like a lot of the meat for Holderman, what's his face? Seawn Armstrong who close it out. They're one win in Chicago. Those are guys who I think you need a Benintendi that looks hot against them. Certainly Lengths is out a bit more, whereas like you would expect Ritchick to be more of the situational weapon randomly ties the game off of Kate Smith maybe, but more like they're more limited opportunities to really use him. Both with like the right hand starters primarily from from Cleveland and not as many at least left handed relievers as the White Sox offer, So Ben Andttenni is probably someone there's a bit more perspective on is like where is some surprise offense gonna come from?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I like those picks.
Speaker 7: Left handed people, left handed people.
Speaker 5: I like those picks. How about you, Jim who needs a big series for the White Sox.
Speaker 9: Maybe not in terms of needs, like it's gonna be uh, you know, awful if he doesn't get it, but like Kyle Teal, just hoping to see steady progress from him, just because I think Drew Romo has been really rough watching him when he has to play, and so I think just Teal progressing, you know, building on.
Speaker 8: A decent start.
Speaker 9: I think to his uh season, like you more strikeouts than you used to seeing, maybe not running as you know. I can't tell if it's it's him being a little bit slower or just being cautious, well him being cautious, or whether it's just the kind of you know, Eloy Jimenez effect of just like watching somebody run all out and just bracing for something to break apart on him to where it's more painful watching him run than he's actually sensing. But yeah, yeah, I think he's still playing through some rust or some restrictions. So I think just building on what he's done so far to continue working towards being like number one catcher at the White Sox need be with no interruptions, would go a long way, because I think Romo is really and Carol's been off to a slowish start with Charlotte, so kind of has to be the guy because I think the two catchers they have on the depth chart beside him are not cutting it right now, so this heal return.
Speaker 8: Has to stick.
Speaker 5: That's disappointing for Caro. I hope he figures it out.
Speaker 1: It's starting to become almost like a lost season for him, right Jim kind of I know there's still half a season left to go.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a case where you know Romo is there because you know, kind of like the Kunia thing, he doesn't have.
Speaker 8: To play, and you know, Caro just needs a bats.
Speaker 9: He needs the most play appearance as possible to get on track, So it makes sense for him if he lights up Triple A won't necessarily guarantee success, but at least it'll show that he's in a better place.
Speaker 8: And you know right now he's not doing that.
Speaker 9: So yeah, lots lots of time for him to to get right in Charlotte hopefully. So that's why I think Teal just maintaining this track of decent starts showing flashes just has to. I think study outs the swing and miss a little bit, but otherwise but a pretty good start for them all together.
Speaker 1: For me, I'm going with Sam Antonacci. He was a big factor the last time the White Sox and Guardians played.
Speaker 5: He still knew the left field and James.
Speaker 1: We know that big wall in Cleveland sometimes plays a factor for new left fielders playing there for the first time. Maybe not as severe as Fenway, but I feel like Samon Tenachi has come a long way playing outfield defense James, Like he's new to this position, and you got a chance to watch him in first employ the position more than I have. Is this a position that you think he can stick at rather than it still kind of feels like break glass in case of emergency for the White Sox this year having Sam Tanaci play left field, But I feel like the more he plays there, the more I'm confident in his ability to stay there long term.
Speaker 6: It's going, I guess, about as well as I would have expected. Like I think physically he has the tools of like a left fielder, and he like kind of plays max effort all the time. So in terms of like guys you can rotate out there on a whim, I think he's gonna do about as good a job as as any one who kind of takes it like mid season as much as he did. Like that said, like his metrics aren't like amazing or anything like that, and he's definitely like figuring out his routes as he goes in a way, and I think he's just like any new outfielder.
Speaker 7: Would you kind of worry like how.
Speaker 6: He's going to deal with like unconventional charms which could happen through him in Cleveland or just giving the fact that he gives you max effort all the time, which is great and to his benefit long term obviously is that you know, he's going to try to dive in situations where maybe like he can be more conservative and that's the right play or overthrow the cutoff man and stuff like that. So I think it's going to be like a process. I don't And certainly, if he's a four hundred OVP guy, then I guess he could play whatever he wants, so you don't really have to worry about it. But like it's still not like a traditional left field profile. So I don't know if like that's what they want to do with that position long term necessarily, or if you know, if you more strength to require more players out there in the corner out feel long term, I don't know how necessarily does he like start to demand like second base at bats from like Chase my drop at some point down the road. I know I actively pushed against like people trying to put him together, But in terms of like two three years out, I'm just saying it's a scenario that like plays out. I don't think he's like oh man, he's actually great at this right off the bat. Let's just give him left field and forget about it indefinitely. But in terms of like if he started out there like next year, I don't think that'd be crazy either, just because like.
Speaker 7: He's only going to kind of get better at it with time.
Speaker 6: And if he plays the average out there while being like a great one of the best leadoff men in the league, then yeah, that could be a home for him. You know, that's been true for many of kind of like a hit first, good base runner, a leadoff man who it didn't necessarily translate to defense. One Pierre comes to mind, even if that's not a perfect COLMP for multiple reasons, or Shannon Stewart stuff like that. So yeah, kind of, but also not like it's not been such an unambiguous success that like you can't imagine a moving there from ever either.
Speaker 1: Well, as long as he gets on base, he still comes up with the big hits late in the games, like he did against the Guardians last time these two teams played. I think Samontanachi can be a big factor in this four game series.
Speaker 5: For the White Sox. It's a big one.
Speaker 1: Again to James's point, if they split with Cleveland, they still have first place in hand in the American League Central before arriving to their final homestand before the All Star Break when they welcome into Boston Red Sox, who are still a messy team and the Sacramento Athletics who just recently got some bad news as Brent Rooker is going to miss the rest of the season. So there's a way that if the White Sox can at least get a series split, they could still have I think favorable outcomes at home. They could be first place heading to the All Star Break, the first place Chicago White Sox with the first pick overall, and they will be draft fun times right now for the Chicago White Sox. We'll see how they start the month of July in Cleveland. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening. If you just discovered the Sox Machine podcast, you can subscribe to the audio version of the show wherever you listen to podcasts at a Spotify and Apple Music. You could watch the video of our show on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Socks Machine. As we start pivoting because everybody's doing this in sports media. You can still get the audio version, don't worry, but we will be doing more with video. You can check out our video work on our YouTube channel and subscribe there at YouTube dot com.
Speaker 5: Slash socks Machine. Follow us on social media.
Speaker 1: We're on all the social media platforms at the soxs Machine. You can follow James at j RFIGI. You can follow me at the sox Machine Underscore Josh and Jim. I believe you are going to be visiting the Bourbenham Barons this weekend.
Speaker 9: I will taking the drive down sixty five checking in on roster.
Speaker 8: It scotten a few twet here and there.
Speaker 9: Good opportunity because I know that when since Salem comes later in the month or a middle of the month, and then Charlotte comes to Nashville at the end of the month, so I should be able to see three affiliates over the course of July.
Speaker 1: So again, a great reason to file us on social media, but also a great reason to subscribe to Soxmachine at soxmachine dot com slash products. Because of your subscriptions, not only does it help keep the lights on at soxsmachine dot com, but it allows us to travel and allows us for that ability to cover the White Sox and the White Sox Minor League affiliates. So for Jim to go to Birmingham this weekend, next weekend, James will be in Philadelphia covering all of the MOB All Star festivities. That only happens with your Guide's subscription. So again, monthly plants start at five dollars. But we still have the sale, right Jim, because they're still above five hundred.
Speaker 9: Yeah, as long as they have a winning record. It'll cost some measure of fifty one to fifty four cents for your first month.
Speaker 1: Yes, so take advantage that fifty four cents your first month, five dollars a month afterwards, and you can help sport socks Machine. The more if you subscribe, the more that we can travel, and that will be big as fingers crossed, we can be talking about bigger series later this year.
Speaker 5: It is a White Sox inch closer.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I'm saying this to the postseason in twenty and twenty.
Speaker 5: Six, hopefully to in Jinx the team.
Speaker 1: So again, go to Soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of soxmachine dot com. You're for all of the things Chicago White Sox baseball, alongside James Vegan and Jim Margulus.
Speaker 5: I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching