Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe.
Speaker 2: Getty Armstrong and Jettiating and he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 1: And they arnt gon estapians transgender just because you've stripped them from sports or from housing, or from their healthcare or any other public place that you don't want us to be. And so members make no mistake that this is just another version of state sanctioned bullying and genocide.
Speaker 2: And I don't say that lightly lightly. You don't say it lightly.
Speaker 3: That's a crazy Democrat representative in Minnesota, which is not surprising because that's one of your crazier left states. Banning dudes from participating in girls' sports is a genocide. And I don't say that lightly. There was so much crazy in that clip.
Speaker 4: We could spend the rest of the show teasing it or parsing it. The whole play the beginning again, Michael, just the first half or so.
Speaker 1: And they aren't going to stop being transgender just because you've stripped them from sports or from housing or from their house.
Speaker 4: We'll stop there, all right, all right, Wow, They're not going to stop being transgender. Nobody is talking about that. I would like to see people get mental health care and address the real problems in their lives, so they didn't indulge in the fantasy that they're transgender. But nobody's talking about that. They're not going to stop being transgender if you keep them out of sports again, not the goal. If you take away their housing. Wait a minute, Oh my god, can you utter one single phrase that's not completely psychotic?
Speaker 2: Who's taking away transgender housing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 4: It's so good that at least in a lot of ways that point of view is on the back foot. But not in academia, friends, and not in a lot of government.
Speaker 2: Well, and this was a blow. So there was a bill in the Senate to bar transgender women and girls nationwide from prosser dudes. Dudes is the.
Speaker 3: Term I was reading the bill from participating in school athletic competitions designated for female athletes. It failed to advance in the Senate as Democrats stood united. And it's one of those deals where you need sixty votes. I don't understand the Senate and which times you need fifty votes and which times you need sixty votes, But this is one of those where you need sixty votes and there aren't enough Republicans, and they were hoping that they could get you know, a half dozen Democrats to join on what eighty five percent of Americans agree on. I do not understand why, more like.
Speaker 4: An eighty five to six issue.
Speaker 3: It's not controversial. It's not a controversial issue. Why aren't there enough Democrats where you're Democratic Senate or from you know, some moderate state where you can come out and say, yeah, I don't think boys should be played in girls sports. Anyway, it was fifty one forty five Republicans over Democrats, but didn't get to sixty. So now the Republicans have some different, slightly differently worded bill they're trying to get through the House, and then they'll come back to the Senatement. So the battle's not over. But that's just shocking. Of course, this is the thing I always like about politics. It's so dang maddening that we play this game all the time, and both sides do it. But so the Democrats reasoning on this, we shouldn't have national rules.
Speaker 2: For schools, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And now all of a sudden, you don't like the federal government getting involved in the schools when we're trying to get rid of the Department of Education, for instance, you're horrified that you don't have federal control over the schools.
Speaker 2: But this is the way politics works.
Speaker 4: So three quick points, and you can take bets out there whether I can remember all three of my points by the time I'm at the third sorority.
Speaker 2: Number one, just the rule of thumb.
Speaker 4: It takes sixty votes in the Senate except when it doesn't. So just memorize that and you'll be fine. Secondly, the recent first Appeals Court, First Circuit Appeals Court ruling that you're not violating parents rights by transitioning their child at school and not telling them. I really want to dig into that decision. I have the decision in front of me. It's gonna be a longish segment. Maybe we can do it hour four. Some folks don't get our four. You can grab it by a podcast Armstrong and getting on demand. Jack and I'll talk about it behind the scenes. But it's really really interesting, and one of the points I was going to make in analyzing the case is what I want to make right now.
Speaker 5: Republicans stop adopting the language of the progressive lunatics say in the bill, there will be no boys or men allowed in sports.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea for a variety of reasons, because that would force a cord at some point to.
Speaker 2: Define that, wouldn't it.
Speaker 4: Well, right, exactly, That's what I'm driving at, because you have allowed the progressive left to smear the line between sex and what they call gender and then claim that women and men are just terms of gender, and your gender is totally up to you. Therefore, any sex specific laws are terrible and oppressive because people can change their sex slash gender all the time, and you're letting them play that game by not simply saying no men, men and boys in women's and girls' sports. And then, as Jack you indicated, at some point, somebody are gonna have to say whoa whoao is a biological male, which is a term I do not used because that's the only kind of male that exists. Attacking biological onto it also implies that there are many different sorts of males. So you've given them the argument anyway. Yeah, you'll make the court decide, Well, we got to differentiate between this whole whatever the hell a gender means and sex, because we're here talking about the sex of the person.
Speaker 3: That would be something if a court and then this could go clear up to the Supreme Court, where the whole question is what's the definition of male and female? Finally get to that, that'd be something.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, on that topic. I don't know you, I don't get tired of this. More revelations coming out as the doge guys and others paw through the the just the stack of you know, accounting books as high as the Empire State Building that shows everything that's been spent by the federal government. Public theater in New York City received more than half a million dollars in federal funds from FEMA, the Literal Emergency Management Agency, to promote anti racist and queer shows.
Speaker 3: How do you like that those of you in North Carolina who are still living intents after the flooding there and all the problems with getting the FEMA money, they spent half a million dollars on anti racist and queer shows at a New York City theater.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Right, And it was all under the umbrella of the COVID emergency and it's right there in the name FEMA emergency. And so they were furnishing dollars to keep these theaters afloat. Maybe he thought that was good in general, maybe you didn't. But FEMA money spent on transgendery queer up with whatever shows I.
Speaker 2: See, So he got a queer theater.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it wasn't sustainable financially in any circumstance. But during COVID they could claim we're going to go out of business, so they got emergency funding from the taxpayer.
Speaker 4: Fantastic. Yeah, Oh that reminds me. I've got to get into that California slush fun story. But and it's funny. I think this is as true as anything can be. Yet I hesitated to bring it up, but it's a piece by Scott Atlas. America still needs a COVID reckoning. Why does nobody want to talk about the most tragic breakdown of leadership and ethics in our lifetimes?
Speaker 2: I remember early in the COVID.
Speaker 4: Thing you brought us Jack the perspective that after the great plague of the nineteen eighteen flu or whatever it was called, nobody wanted to talk about it afterward. I just want to move on because it's so damned depressing and sad and disappointing.
Speaker 2: It seems to me a human nature thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so Scott Atlas is talking about and you may remember him as one of the great dissenters during the COVID thing, but he was at a conference that focuses on the West's failure to cultivate its traditional values, which provided the world with history's most successful societies, essentially defending the principles.
Speaker 2: Of Western civilization.
Speaker 4: Now, I asked the audience, why, at this moment in history, Scott Rice, are we asking how institutions should be reformed or if they even can be For decades, we have been aware that institutions were failing incompetent, wasteful and corrupt governments, biased and dishonest journalism, agenda driven schools and universities. So why now? My answer is COVID. The mismanagement of the pandemic hit us personally and exposed a massive, across the board institutional failure. It was the most tragic breakdown of leadership and ethics that free societies have seen in our lifetimes. Yet oddly, the topic remained almost invisible at the week long conference, unmentioned by dozens of speakers. It was the elephant in the room, just as lockdowns and mandates are missing from almost all of America's discussion of post election plans. And then you know, there's what time is it? Yeah, we got time for this. This is so good to understand why the pandemic finally forced us to address institutional failure. We must acknowledge the facts. And Jack, this will warm your heart because we've been howling this for years. The virus didn't cause lockdowns. Human beings decided to impose lockdowns, which failed to stop the deaths, and the spread lockdowns inflicted massive damage on children and literally killed people. Or a view of thirty four countries with available data found that through July of twenty three, the US alone would have had one point six million fewer deaths if it had the performance of Sweden. Wow, and he goes on to some more statistics to back up that that statement. But more than massive incompetence by our bureaucrats, more than a lack of critical thinking, we saw a failure of society's moral and ethical compass so pervasive that we have lost trust in most institutions and leaders, trust that is essential to the function of any free and diverse society, especially in the US, where the Declaration of Independence claims endowed by.
Speaker 2: Our creator, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: It's stunning that liberty fell so quickly and thoroughly by government decree and with public assent. And there's a lot more. We've been hammering this point so long. Part of me hesitates to, you know, hammer it again, but.
Speaker 2: It's destined for the history books. Man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: A quick message about Price Picks. You want to turn your basketball opinions into cash, you need to know this. You see Kyrie Irving of the Dallas Mavericks out for the season they went to the finals last year. He's their big star left since Luca got traded to the Lakers. Luca's got to be thinking, thank god I dodged a bullet there, as the Lakers are now in the first place and he's playing for him anyway. You should download the Prize Picks app if you want to get involved in your opinions turning into money on that. Sign up today and get fifty dollars instantly when you play five bucks. You don't even need to win to receive the fifty dollars bonus.
Speaker 4: It's guaranteed and Prize Picks is the best place to get real money sports action. Join over ten million users and sign up today, And Prize Picks also has special stuff like Taco Tuesday. Each Tuesday, Prize Picks discounts player select player stat projections up to twenty five percent to provide even more value for your lineup. So it's it's fun and it's simple. It's easy again. Like Jack said, download the Prize Picks app today. Use the code armstrong to get fifty bucks instantly after you play your first five dollars.
Speaker 2: Lineup Prize Picks. Run your game.
Speaker 4: Let me hit you with Scott Atlas's summary his final paragraph, rather, uh, there is a disastrous lack of courage in our society.
Speaker 2: To quote C. S.
Speaker 4: Lewis, courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point. We can't have a peaceful, free society if it is filled with people who lack the courage to speak and act with certainty on Hannah Lawrence elementary questions of morality, Google it. That's why we must reckon with the madness of our COVID response.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get so frustrated if I start thinking about that. I can't hardly handle it. So yeah, that might be one of the reasons people don't want to engage. So we're in a trade war with Mexico and Canada. China also, but different topic. And Trudeau had just is given a big speech right now and taking questions with his highlighted hair and his very tight suit. Some of the things he said kind of interesting. Among other things, I hope you have purchased all the hockey pucks you need yesterday because they're expensive today.
Speaker 2: More on the way, stay tuned. He getting behind me are.
Speaker 6: One hundred circles with one hundred people inside of them. I don't care if this takes weeks, months, or even eight year. The last one of you to leave is your circle. Win's that five hundred thousand dollars. The rules are simple. If at any point you cross the red line around your circle, you lose half a million dollars. That challenge has a actually started.
Speaker 2: Hug your dad, Hug your dad, your son.
Speaker 5: Just what happened?
Speaker 2: Million dollars?
Speaker 3: That's mister beast, who's the biggest thing in the world in entertainment, whether you know who he is or not. And uh, one of the many contests that he has where he just you're just standing in a circle, and whoever can stand in the circle the longest hunger need to go to the bathroom, whatever your issues are. Whoever can stay in the circle the longest wins a half a million dollars. In this eleven year old kid won. And the way mister Beast does it too, Unlike other contests, he pays your taxes and stuff, so you actually get the half a million dollars. Like if you if you win a car on most you know you want a car on the price is right, you immediately find out, Well, I got to sell the car because I owe you know, this two hundred thousand dollars car, I one hundred thousand dollars and taxes.
Speaker 2: I don't have it if I want to keep the car. So I got to sell the car.
Speaker 3: I mean I was selling it slightly used so then and I couldn't even if I could keep the car, I can't afford the car insurance.
Speaker 2: He pays the car.
Speaker 3: If you get a car from mister Beast, he pays the car insurance and the taxes and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So you actually get to keep the prize, which.
Speaker 3: Is one of the reasons he's so successful with his eight quad trillion YouTube followers and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So how long was the kid in the circle? I don't know. I I'd like to know that.
Speaker 3: I've watched a bunch of these my kids before his before his number two is Ed McMahon or whatever you want to call him, turn trans. My kids used to watch mister Beast all the time, and we watch a lot of these contests and they're very entertaining as he edits them down and everything like that. I don't know, I'll look into that. How long did you have to stand in the circle to win a half million dollars? What's an eleven year old going to do with a half a million dollars? Lots and lots of gummy bears?
Speaker 2: I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: I hope they're American and not from Canada or he'll have to pay too much of them with the damn trade war going on. So justin Trudeau, Uh, he's given a press conference right now. He said Trump is a very smart guy, but this is a dumb thing to do. At midnight last night, twenty five percent tariffs went into effect on Canada and Mexico. The president of Mexico has avowed retaliation and she is going to announce on Sunday in that big central square. What do they call him in Mexico zokolo, ziccolo. I've never known how to pronounce it in the historic Old City, which if you've never been there, is very very cool. She's going to have a big rally there on Sunday and announce all the things that Mexico is going to about to put a tariff on on American.
Speaker 2: Goods to try to retaliate old on. Here come.
Speaker 4: So Domingo in the ziccolo, I will mark it on McKellen.
Speaker 2: Domingo means Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it's unfortunate because I have a savado Giagante planned a giant Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm already a little El Gordo. So if it's all on a food I shouldn't eat, that's fine with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, back to Canada, where they speak English, Trudeau said Trump is a smart guy, but this is a dumb thing to do. He said to Americans, your government has done has done this to you. He has put your US jobs at risk and has chosen to harm US national security. So that's the message from pretty boy Justin Trudeau, who.
Speaker 4: Certainly has agreement at the Wall Street Journal editorial board. They're true, really, really concerned. This is going to backfire back badly something to what I'll find out together. I wonder which of the many diseases floating around the United States I have. I wish there was a test for that sort of thing. A lot of these things he can't really test for, right, Yeah, they'd have to design it specifically, at the cost of many, many dollars and even more thanks to Trump's tariffs or not, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Zelenski put out a new statement about Ukraine in the United States.
Speaker 2: When we retouch on that story at some point, it is a major statement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can hit that next hour or next segment and a little more on how the tariffs are likely to affect your pocket book.
Speaker 2: Here's the end significantly. I think everybody wonders Armstrong and Getty, But what do you need to see from President's Lensky.
Speaker 7: Look, I think the most important thing A lot of people have made this about public statements. President's Lenski needs to say that he's committed to the peace, or President Zelenski needs to apologize to the President.
Speaker 2: The public stuff doesn't.
Speaker 7: Matter nearly as much as what are the Ukrainians doing to meaningfully engage on what a peaceful settlement would look like. We need the Ukrainians privately to come to us and say, this is what we need, this is what we want, this is how we're going to participate in the process to end this conflict.
Speaker 2: That is the most important thing.
Speaker 7: And that lack of private engagement is what is most concerning to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I can't wait to read the books about this.
Speaker 4: That is not a statement of He's dead to us, not even close.
Speaker 2: No, you're right about that.
Speaker 3: I also none of us have any idea what the behind the scenes conversations are here right right Based on polling I've seen, Ukrainian people are all for continuing to fight. So and as we would be, as you would be if some bastard like Putin had taken twenty percent of your country and kidnapped your children and killed half your family.
Speaker 2: And tortured your men.
Speaker 3: The idea of oh, we'll sign a deal with them where he gets to keep the land, keep the kids, pays no penalty really for murdering and raping half my family, and I'm supposed to just be happy with.
Speaker 4: That I know, and it astounds me the number of Americans who are insisting that they ought to do that we would fight for the next five hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would personally.
Speaker 3: But the alternative to what I just said is there's just no world in which it gets any better than the deal I just stated.
Speaker 2: That is also true. One more clip from JD. Vance.
Speaker 3: Do you expected you maybe more sanctions in Russia or any other steps to pressure of ball size, if you want to have them on an education Well, I.
Speaker 7: Don't think that's right, actually, I mean, we still have a number of sanctions that are placed on the Russians.
Speaker 4: We do believe that.
Speaker 7: The Russians economically are struggling because of this conflict.
Speaker 2: We do believe that it's.
Speaker 7: In Russia's best interest, but also Ukraine and the United States's best interest, to bring this conflict to a close. So we believe in applying pressure to everybody to stop the killing, because that's what the President's policy is, and that's what'sn't the best interest.
Speaker 2: In the American people.
Speaker 4: So the Zolen Scheme made a statement the other day or yesterday whenever it was, that he thought the war would be going on for a long Time play clip thirty three, Michael, this is Trump's response to.
Speaker 8: That President Zelensky supposedly made a saatement today in AP. I'm not a big fan of AP, so maybe it was an incorrect sabment. But he said he thinks it was gonna go on for a long time, and he'd.
Speaker 2: Better not be right about that. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So Zelenski himself has tweeted, which is a thing these days in international diplomacy. I would like to I would like to reiterate Ukraine's commitment to peace. None of us wants an endless war. Ukraine is ready to come to the negotiating table as soon as possible to bring lasting piece closer. Nobody wants peace more than Ukrainians. My team and I stand ready to work under President Trump's strong leadership to get a piece that lasts. We are ready to work fast to end the war, and the first stages could be the release of prisoners in truce in the sky, dan on missiles, long range drones, bombs on energy and other civilian infrastructure, and truce in the sea immediately. If Russia will do the same, then we want to move very fast through all the next stage to work with the US to agree to a strong final deal. We do really value how much America has done to help Ukraine maintain its sovereignty and independence, and we remember the moment when things changed when President Trump provided Ukraine with javelins. We are grateful for this our meeting in Washington. That the White House on Friday did not go the way it was supposed to. It is regrettable that it happened this way. It's time to make things right. We would like future cooperation and communication to be constructive. And finally, regarding the agreement on minerals and security, Ukraine is ready to sign it any time and in any convenient format. We see this agreement as a step forward toward greater security and solid security guarantees, and I truly hope it will work effectively.
Speaker 3: What's the back channel communication between US in Russia? Has putin got any interest in any of this or we just assuming he does that he doesn't think, Yeah, I'm not going to sign a deal for keeping the twenty percent I took because I want thirty percent or fifty percent or all of.
Speaker 4: It well right, and gosh, my adversaries really most important by far patron has announced that they're not super interested in backing my adversary anymore and are pulling back on it, and just said, we're going to stop arm shipments. So I'm supposed to stop fighting, right And as we explain that to me, he says Vlad And we played Ian Bremer earlier, who said he doesn't believe Europe's going to stand up and protect themselves, so why.
Speaker 2: Would Putin stop?
Speaker 3: His goal might be within range of actually taking over the country. Either there are measures behind the scenes that Trump is considering that are extremely hard on Russia, or this doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And.
Speaker 3: Having read David Sanger's book in Bob Woodward's book about a lot of the behind the scenes on this and other things during the Biden presidency, often have no.
Speaker 2: Idea what's going on. You just don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, true, And I realized that in one form or another there was a lot of discussion of British and or French troops being on the ground in Ukraine, which is interesting to try to square with the whole Putin was justified in invading Ukraine because they'd made too many notices about Jane joining NATO and he couldn't have that, so it was justified. Well, when there are NATO troops on the ground in Ukraine, like facing off with his guys, that's going to be better. Yeah, I like you say, surely there are things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. That makes sense, because again, disarming Putin's opponent and saying there, now, let's go to the bargaining table just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The biggest story of the day that personally affects you the fastest is clearly this tariff thing that kicked in at midnight last night, twenty five percent tariffs on Mexico and Canada. Trudeau me Androgynoust, Prime Minister of Canada. Why do I always need to say something like that, Well, just.
Speaker 4: Because he's a member of the LGBT lgt P, LGBT lgt LBG LGBTQ two plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like his politics and he annoys me. But anyway, he said in a press conference just a few minutes ago, I won't sugarcoat it.
Speaker 4: This is gonna be tough. Yeah, yeah, how tough for you personally? And why coming up in a couple of minutes, maybe again, this could all be over by noon, you know tomorrow. The way Trump operates, it's hard to say. So, you know, we mock cable news all the time for engaging in these long, serious discussions about a hypothetical that's never gonna come to roost.
Speaker 2: But the tariffs have been in Poe. Yeah, that's not a hypothetical, right right.
Speaker 4: A lasting impact is hypothetical, definitely, But at some point, I mean, he imposed them, so can we talk about what it will mean? Spicy times, friends, Spicy times. I'd say. My son is at home six, so I keep texting back and forth with him. He sounds quite miserable, one of the many illnesses floating around my other son. This is an interesting thing, have you ever I don't think we ever dealt with this. When I was in school, none of our teams were very good in any sport. But they've got a team at my son's high school that is doing very well and going through the state tournament and marching through. It's very disruptive to a school when you have a team that does well, because there's constantly games that everybody goes to or they I mean, they let everybody not go to school on Friday.
Speaker 2: To attend one of the games. They're going to be doing that with the coming game stuff like that.
Speaker 3: I never realized how disruptive it is if you have like a hot football team or basketball team or something like that kind of throws things off on the old education end of things for a while.
Speaker 4: Sure, which is going great in America already, so we had plenty of slack to pick. Then they have rallies. You have to have your pep rallied. I question your pep.
Speaker 2: We've got spirit? How about you? That whole thing?
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely, you know we're the Tigers, you're the Lions, or you the Tigers and we're the Lions. I can't keep it straight. And we have school pride and whatnot.
Speaker 4: Right right, and you apparently lack it at least that's what we're alleging.
Speaker 2: Answer to this is awaited Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The whole school pride in high school thing is is hilarious looking back on it.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 4: I mean to the point that if you're from Central and you run into guys from South there there could be a fight because you know, the guys from South and they're weird Southern ways or southern or just a mile away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess there's no different than professional level sports, and it makes more sense at least it's people who live in your town as opposed to a million exactly.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So coming up next segment, a bit of a look at the tariffs how they might affect you, plus and this is shocking, friends, I hope you're not too terribly surprised by this. America's trust in mass media has hit the lowest point in more than fifty years.
Speaker 3: That is shocking. Who could have predicted that? All that on the way to stay here are strong?
Speaker 2: Hey, geddy, we're telling people and showing people about our power. And this is what we say when we fight. We get away where we fight, were where we fight.
Speaker 1: And now we say to Trump and Elan, are you bitter for this faith?
Speaker 4: It's rare that you see dumbness and evil combined in such an impressive way as Maxine Waters represents.
Speaker 2: But she's something. So if you're just joining us.
Speaker 3: For the past three and a half hours, we've been talking about the Smoot Holly Terrriff Act of nineteen thirty.
Speaker 4: It's been fast wrapped up. Smoots roll in it time to move on to Hally.
Speaker 3: We have new tariffs in place, as of midnight last night, twenty five percent on Canada, twenty five percent on Mexico.
Speaker 4: Pretty little Justin Trudeau has an opinion on it, and then we will discuss a first clip.
Speaker 2: Please, Michael sixty seven, I.
Speaker 9: Want to speak first directly to the American people. We don't want this. We want to work with you as a friend and ally, and we don't want to see you hurt either. But your government has chosen to do this to you. They've chosen to launch a trade war that will first and foremost harm American families. They've chosen to sabotage their own agenda that was supposed to usher in a new golden age for the United States.
Speaker 2: On wad your panies, Justin.
Speaker 4: It pains me enormously to agree with just and Trudeau on anything. I am mystified by, especially the tariffs on Canada, because Trump is cited the emergency of illegal immigration and fentanyl as the pretext for the tariffs, because there needs to be an emergency for the President to do this. Course will weigh in and interpret all this sooner or later. But the fraction of fentanyl that comes across Canada is very, very small. Well that Canadian border and immigration is practically that's just the legal reason. We should put that to decide. What's the economic theory? What's Trump hoping to accomplish there? Well, that's exactly what I'm leading to. So what is the actual reason? Best I can come up with is and I heard Whuna here talking about this, some of the Trump team might think that they can help reduce the deficit by taking in enormous amounts of tariff revenue over the short to medium term before too much damage is done to the economy.
Speaker 3: Well, like, for instance, I don't claim to know anything about this, but I was listening to a news report about how much lumber we get out of Canada because it's cheaper than the lumber in the United States. No, We've got plenty of lumber in the Great Northwest, Oregon, Washington to provide our own lumber, and these tariffs will make it more likely that we use American lumber and that will ultimately be good for us. That was one argument that will be good for the timber industry. Right, It's like.
Speaker 4: The tariffs on steel and aluminum will help twenty thousand steel and illuminum workers and hurt fifty million people who consume the products made of that steel and aluminum, and or manufacture products with the steel and aluminum, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So I mean, Usa, USA.
Speaker 4: I'm pleased, I'm at the front of the parade, but I don't understand how me paying more for American timber. I mean, because we're talking about like our closest friend and ally.
Speaker 3: Well, most pundits that I like don't agree with Trump on this. But Trump is not a dumb guy, as Trudeau just said, and he's not you know, he's not trying to commit political suicide.
Speaker 2: So what does he think is gonna happen?
Speaker 4: There are folks with some have to think tariffs and protectionism actually will work out in the long term in a way that will be beneficial to the whole country for.
Speaker 2: Long term a year, or ten years, or a century. See that's the problem.
Speaker 4: To revive certain sectors of the American manufacturing economy, you would have to have like rock solid assurance to the companies that are either going to move plants here or build plants or start plants whatever, that they've got at least fifteen years that they can count on stability. And there's no way Trump is one termer can guarantee that so. And if you know what's interesting is there are loads and loads of people who are more than happy to point out that you're stupid idiots you just still like Trump. And then half the time it's your stupid idiots you like Trump too much anyway. Uh, I haven't run into a lot of cogent arguments in favor of this, especially Canada Mexico. Yeah, we've exported a fair amount of manufacturing to them, maybe too much, maybe too much globalism. I am absolutely sympathetic to those arguments, but you got to tell me how it's going to work for me to swallow that pill, especially given the political and just practical reality that inflation is killing everybody, has killed everybody, and prices are rising at a lower rate, but they're still rising, which is practically inevitable. But we got to keep that rate of inflation low as possible while wages rise. And this could hurt the economy, the fact that the market's down significantly the last two days, it goes down, it comes up again. They hate uncertainty, and this is a period of uncertainty. I'm not gonna leap to any confusions, but I'm having a really hard time finding anybody to say, hey, this a really good idea hammering Canada and Mexico with these tariffs. They point out in the Wall Street Journal, which is of course pro business, and you could argue pro globalism, I suppose, although I think they do a pretty good job of going through the arguments here. But they think the twenty five percent teriffyle raised the cost of a full sized suv assemblant in North America by nine thousand dollars and a pickup truck by eights.
Speaker 3: Whoa whoo whoo, whoa whoa, whoa who who raise the price from where it is currently by nine thousand more dollars.
Speaker 4: And a pickup truck by about eight grand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a seventy grand truck is going to be almost eighty grand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the analysis by the Anderson Economic Group. I take all this stuff with a grain of salt. Again, I'm not finding good arguments so well.
Speaker 3: Obviously if that were true, that would be amazingly disruptive.
Speaker 2: Holy cow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're concern is that mister Trump is whacking friends, not adversaries, because again, the China stuff's in a different box.
Speaker 2: Do whatever you want to China. They are our enemy.
Speaker 4: They're trying to ruin us that his taxes will hit every cross border transaction. And the North American vehicle market is so interconnected that some cars cross a border as many as eight times as they're assembled.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, if an SUV goes up by almost ten grand a new suv, well people are gonna buy used SUVs. And then of course that market will become distorted and all kinds of repercussions will occur.
Speaker 4: Well, and the big automakers will really suffer, and the unions will be squealing. And this is a risky move. Why don't we just all agree on that it's risky.
Speaker 3: Huh, Yeah, I've died. This is not my area of expertise at all, but it'll be something to watch.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, the economics is the dismal science.
Speaker 4: It's very difficult to come to anything close to a certainty in economics. Great Hour, Next Hour, it's our four of the show.
Speaker 2: If you don't get it, that's fine, grab it later via podcast. Subscribe to Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getty