Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Sianna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the Very slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching things of our choosing, specifically things directed by women right now. This podcast is a safe meadow for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Speaker 1: Look at you. Let's just stay to your hair. I went out into the rain naked. Are you Matt twenty twenty two?
Speaker 2: Warning there will be spoilers about this sensual film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sensual and beyond.
Speaker 2: To sensuality and beyond well, you could never could? I please play you my prediction?
Speaker 1: Yes, I would love to hear.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hello, Sienna, hy Leanna, I'm about to watch Lady Chatterlee's Lover.
Speaker 1: I have seen this before.
Speaker 2: Not to brag, I went to a screening of it, Oh my God, with the lead actor and the director. I'm sorry, I predict a pastoral gorgeous, a bit of boning, a bit and kind of a happy ending, Thank God, love you bye a.
Speaker 1: Bit try eighty percent. All right, Leanna, let's hear my predictions, which I will believe is equally enjoyable. Ready, yeah, high Leanna, this is Oh my god. I'm back home, which is why it's so loud. I'm about to watch it. I'm about to watch Lady Chatterley's Lover. No, I'm doing my prediction in one sac. I'm about to watch Lady Chatterley's Lover. I thought it was like old timeyish and sort of like a they not hear me. I thought it was sort of like what's the one where Audrey Hepburn becomes fancy my fair lady. But now I'm thinking it might be like some sort of like smut situation, Like is it gonna be like see, I don't know. I actually think I have no idea what this is going to be, like some sort of romance or something. Okay, we'll find out, Okay, I love you goodbye. That's a perfect example of what my life is like when I'm back home, in my whole family's home. I think that's also like an illustration of how it feels to have adhd yes it's like, okay, hold on, hold on, hold on. I was second, let me just see.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're trying to get something done, but the soundtrack of Aladdin is being sung in the background.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they didn't hear me. I was like, okay, stop now, and they're like, unbelieve me. She was that your sister and my brother. It was both of them that was there too. Oh yeah, that's a weird duet for siblings. I'm sorry. I don't think they were thinking about that hard. I think they were just making noise. That's kind of how it works with my family. Oh god, so did you watch this movie with your family? Unfortunately, watched it with my mom.
Speaker 2: No brother, no, no, no, no no no no, no no no. I do not know, because my flatmate asked me today. They were like, oh, like, well, we were talking about like, I don't think Sanna's gonna like this. I hope she's okay watching it, and I was like, yeah, I mean, thank god, she's not with her family. It's not till next week, so there's no risk of her watching it with them. Oh I did watch with my family.
Speaker 1: You probably predict the perfect amount of me being like about the romance, but oh my god, it was uncomfortable. Oh no, if anybody's for anybody who's not seen the film, do not ever watch this with your relatives. You pretty much see where everything goes up close. It's okay. My family's like chill in all the senses that they were okay, like stick it around, but we all had to be like, ah, anyway, let's get into it. Okay, I have a little synopsis. Nope, it's not time yet, Leanna. Hey, now is the time to hear. It's hey girl, hey girl, time ladies and gentlemen. In the last week since you've spoken, Leanna Holsten, it seems successfully mounted a one woman show. I have been watching with baited breath one. I've been wanting to ask you things about it, but I've been respectfully not just watching through the little cracks of Instagram peeping mhm, and I've seen many a great post about it. Seems like it was a great supportive crowd you were slaying. You've really figured out your gene situation. May I say thank you? I have one pair that's so good. You have some great pairs of pants and it is working anyway, How to go? Please? Tell us things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I have mounted a one woman show. I'm so tired and so glad it's over. I'm getting a massage in exactly two hours.
Speaker 1: Oh fantast wait what time?
Speaker 2: Just to try to like, it's five point thirty right now, I'm getting a seven thirty pm massage. It's been dark for like an hour and a half already. I just always assume it it's pretty much the middle of the night that I'm getting a massage. The show was really fun, great crowd. It was a very fun time. It's it's what it was able to be in the time allotted, you know, very twenty days that I had to make it happen.
Speaker 1: What was your angle like, did you tell people all that? Absolutely? Yes, I opened it.
Speaker 2: I said, I called it my audition for England, and throughout the show I kept saying, please.
Speaker 1: Let me stay. That is so funny. I just want to stay. So yeah.
Speaker 2: Some reviewers came from from outlets that hopefully the Arts Council will accept as.
Speaker 1: Reviewers did come outlets. Did you get them to come?
Speaker 2: I emailed like one hundred people and then a very lovely group of friends who are all currently on this visa that I'm applying for helped me set up a male chimp email blast list to contacts that they had. Yeah, so through my emails I got a couple and then through their email blast some people came as well. Way to go, and I'm so exhausted. It was so fun. It was such a really fun time. And then I came home and there was a slug on the floor of my bedroom. What That's exactly what I said, And I think that's very simple. It's like very evocative of how life goes.
Speaker 1: You do the like one of the most incredible and momentous performances of your life, you've brought at home. Baby. You've managed to get these reviewers here, despite truly all odds. You have found a theater, you have found reviewers, and you do it and you get to see all the friends that you've made along the way since coming to England and all the favors that you are able to pull now, and then you get home and there's a slug on the floor of your bedroom. Well, if you ever this doesn't seem completely like your vibe, but if you're like, oh, where do I go from here? And you take video of your thing and start posting it. First of all, I feel like our faves, the girls and the gays. The only way to succeed is for someone like me who doesn't live where you are, who wants to hear all your jokes. It would be a great situation. Oh that's so fun. I know. It's like I really have to do. They give it like I don't have to talk to my friends back home because they'll just get to hear it.
Speaker 2: How about this, if I get the visa, I'll start posting content online.
Speaker 1: Whoo all right, hey girl, thank you for I'm so glad to hear about it, and congratulations on your one thing. Sure and getting reviewers there. I didn't want to ask, I know, I know, well, if if they hadn't come, it'd be like why also listeners From what I saw on Leanna story, she ended it by doing the splits, which I've just never idea. I almost cried.
Speaker 2: I was like, yo, yeah, perform a feat at the end.
Speaker 1: There's no other way. It felt like our podcast was all worth it that you remember to do the splits at the end, like we've been telling we've been trading for years. Finally, she finally did it in front of people. Yes, yay. Well, hey girl, Hey girl. My thing that I'm going to report this time is, yes, I'm back home. I am. I'm writing jokes for this corporate newsletter, which I've done. I don't remember if I've talked about on the podcast. I probably, Yeah, it's a gig I have sometimes. And on the last one I wrote about a guy who just got inducted into parliament. Oh, he just entered Australian Parliament is what I read and wrote jokes on. And I wrote a lot of jokes and I was like stuff like Australian Parliament not to be confused with a Kangaroo court and things like that. And then I send them in and the client responded, she goes, these are so great, but it is Austrian Parliament. I literally had jokes that were like, wow, sounds like he's gonna have a good day, mate, Oh.
Speaker 3: Truly. One of the more humiliating things funny, I know, isn't there a desk at some airport, like at the Austrian airport for people who meant to fly to Australia.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Probably. Oh that's so funny because when you're reading it fast and what's so funny too, is I researched him for a long time, but my brain, my brain, I mean for a normal amount of time. But yeah, my brain had already told me it was Australian Parliament and these a lot of these people will like work so many places because they're such international. Yeah people, important people, venture people that I'm writing stuff on, and so I don't know I believed it. It was probably talking about these hyper specific Austrian whatever. And also I think I've probably written a joke on him in the past. Anyway. Oh yeah, that is so fits. Oh that was my l of the way. I love that. My dad said to me one time, if you don't live life, the only way not to make mistakes is by not living life. And so you need to just hit life hard. And in those moments where you're staring at yourself in utter humiliation, it's in those moments that you go, well, it's important that you live life. You've gotten you live it hard, live life hard. And speaking of living life, living life hard, yeah, hello, Leonna, let's go on, move on to our movie that I know we're going to disagree about, because we know how I felt about Romance and how you felt.
Speaker 2: I don't even I don't even know if we can call it disagreeing at this point. It's just like, I know you're gonna feel whatever way you feel about it, uh huh, And I I accept that I disagree with that you watched it with your family.
Speaker 1: The thing that's the problem with my family is that they didn't immediately scatter like we just kind of stuck with it. Wo, Sianna, could you please give us a synopsis of the film. Lady Chatterley's Lover. Sure, Lady Chatterly's Lover. Lady Chatterley's classiest husband returns from war and can't bone anymore and apparently can't pleasure her either. Generally, He suggests she hook up with a man of high class sometime to become pregnant so they can have a child. Inspired, she hooks up with the estate's gamekeeper and experiences sexual euphoria doing all sorts of things, including doggie style and sex outside the end, oh Leana, now's your chance to sort of add to it if you'd like seeing If you please, thank you feelings about this type of movie.
Speaker 2: It's set during and then after the First World War in England and they live at an estate called Ragby, which he's the lord of, which is why she's Lady Chatterley. And he's very desperate to have an air, which is why he encourages her to go get pregnant by another man and they fall in love, she and the gamekeeper. It's very much a love story. And the other kind of big thing about it is it's definitely a very sexual movie, but like very much intimacy Coordinator era sexual, So totally between that and like having been directed by a woman.
Speaker 1: Sex scenes are very different movies. Sex scenes are where you can always tell that it was directed by a woman. Yeah, Yeah, there's just there's just something that feels a lot as a female utifying person watching it and someone h it reads is a lot more realistic in certain ways. Yeah yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, yeah, more more yeah way, Yeah, we're gonna disagree though, I don't know. Okay, Well, let's just get into our phone notes. Are you watching this movie with your family and you just found out what it's like. You have three minutes to escape, and I would recommend escaping. We'll be right back on your first note is let's hear it for the period costume. I did love the costumes in this the twenties sort of the shoulder they were giving shoulder.
Speaker 2: Shoulder, Yeah, yeah, yeah, And you wrote in the words of wicked memes, they're having a skinny off. Are you seeing all this thing who can be the skinniest.
Speaker 1: There's all this wicked rhetoric that's like, oh my god, they're having skinny off. Yes, work, oh oh no, because the two stars are so skinny, and like skinny is unfortunately coming back not Wizard of Oh that's really funny. It's unfortunately really funny. But I yes, emmiccorrn extremely skinny. I am going to be I think body neutrality is so important. Unfortunately emmccorn skinny. And there were a number of times in this movie where it was like skinny. You know how in uh Tricksy and Kadia, whenever there's someone bald, they'll be like, you're bald. There were a number of times in the sex scenes when em mccorran's frame I was just like skinny, very very thin. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's one point in the movie where they're like you're wasting away because the character is so sad, right, but you're like, nothing has changed actually physically about their body. At that point, it's like the body actually is the same throat. I also, they're just a very skinny person.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leanna, you said, let me get ahead of the rumors and say that this man is not my type. Which one, Well, you're gonna want to read the letter. Then you said, I can't stop thinking about going back. Wait, I can't stop thinking about going back to the front. Okay, he might be my type.
Speaker 2: Which one her husband on their wedding day, like the first scene Veteran vibes the day after their wedding World War one veteran very tall, haunted boy energy, although not that tall. And I was like, someone is gonna say that this man is my type, and let me let me shut that down before and then he said that, and I was like, oh, well, hmmm.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. First thing, I don't understand why can't he finger her? Like this girl just wants to get finger She is all about I can't I can't finger anymore? Or because of the one you also wrote, did his wiener get blown off? Let the record show I didn't highlight that. There are many things I didn't highlight. I really there's no need.
Speaker 2: It's like whatever you I I know what's coming, like, I get it great.
Speaker 1: I don't want to think that was shocking was that you watched this with your mom and your brother. Had I know no idea?
Speaker 2: Had I known or I'm sure you told me, and I must have forgotten that you were home this for this episode.
Speaker 1: I knew you would be next week. I just thought, surely not anyway, No, I know it's I feel like it's social commentary on that totally level of society, and of course just setting him up as a juxtaposition to Oliver, the man she falls in love with. Yeah, very willing to do hand stuff, because it definitely is like that this guy her husband is like, I can't put it in you, and for that reason, we can't do anything else. And then of course she doesn't say anything about that because probably she would have been sent to the looney bin if she had. M It was frustrating. We were really laughing about the idea that he's like, if I can't put my penis where she wants it, what am I? It's like, Yeah, there's so much else you can do. There's so much else to many that was all of sex for a long, long, for thousands of years. Leanna you said people need to be more embarrassed about naming their estates. Okay, and again we have more questions about England from someone who's who's out there are people? Are there estates and things?
Speaker 2: I think less so nowadays, but still yes, like my mom and I when we got mooned, we have you remember that time that my mom and I got mooned. It was on the Duke of Devonshire's estate. And he's like a real current guy. There was a photo of him at checkout at his market and then he owns technically like the house that we went to visit, and I think that house has a name. It's like the house that mister Darcy lives in in and Prejudice and I can't remember what the name of it is. But very much like whatever Hall or other such names, those estates do still exist because it was such an aristocracy thing to like name your.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is why Home English comedy is like, it's kind of not fair. They're starting with a head start because they have so many silly things in their culture. Yea, Like so much of Monty Python was they were just taking the things that existed for real and then would add like one more thing to make it sort of a bit it, but like they already had these estates called like bum top of Bummington Gardens, Yeah yeah, Flinkelwolf's Gardens and things like that, Like it's you're already yeah you know, yeah, you're playing a yeah of course, but oh.
Speaker 2: No, Sienna, you've written and you didn't boil this either. I'm seeing in all caps show us the war penis.
Speaker 1: They weren't brave enough. Here's the thing. I have some criticisms of this. Oh, I have some criticisms of this film. Okay, I do, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's important for us to watch things. It's important for women to direct things, and they have a lot of years to make up for making mistakes in film, which men have been doing for forever. But okay, this person made some mistakes. For example, they didn't show enough Ween at all. If they're gonna be showing this much, full frontal, absolute sh sh boning, boning, yeah right. I want to see Ween and I want to see Bush. I felt for you that we didn't see more bush. There was a good amount of bush. Not to me, there was plenty of bush. Not until they are trapesing across in the rain, which, by the way. I'm sorry. I did not think you would like that scene.
Speaker 2: I don't think they showed nearly enough. Be brave, you wanted to see that shredded pain.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to know why. I wanted to know exactly specifically why it is so it is so unthinkable for him to even finger someone. Yeah, I think he's just an inherently selfish person. Yeah, I think he's a selfish person and also specifically a it's selfish and be he might just like psychologically be like, I don't want to do that stuff anymore. And I get that because I feel freedom and I don't have that kind of relationship with you where I want to have that sort of intimacy. I got it. I got it, Leanna. You said a man dictating his novel to me would be the most annoying thing in the world. I also thought this. He comes back from more, He's like, sorry, I can't touch you anymore because I can't feel pleasure really in that way, So I don't think I should touch you. And by the way, can I read you my novel out loud and you type it up for me please? They perfectly set up. They perfectly set up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they send her. He basically begs her to go boink the gamekeeper. I mean really, I kind of was.
Speaker 1: I was kind of into that. There are a few things in this movie that I was like, you are doing that differently. For example, this guy being like, oh did you bone someone? Yet he was so earnestly looking forward to it. Yeah, yeah, he needed that air. Yeah mm hmm. Leanna, Okay, let's get into it. You said I forgot the raw sex appeal of this man.
Speaker 2: And nothing on Sienna's face though, not a whiff of an emotion.
Speaker 1: Talking about this groundskeeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the thing is like on paper, he's not really my type.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: The way in which he cares for her immediately, like she comes and sits down, he lights a fire for her because this woman is cold all the time because she's so thin and refuses to take a jacket on her walks, and then also mainly his northern accent. Oh I love it, I do love it.
Speaker 1: I did enjoy how much he was like the perfect man. I didn't even find it in like, I just enjoyed that that He's sorry, I just sorry if my perfect, delightful little shed with all the flowers around it is too clean, milady. It's just something I like to do when I'm alone. It's a nice home o man.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, at the end of the movie, to my flatman, I was like, so this guy doesn't exist when they were like when.
Speaker 1: The school teacher's like, yeah, oh, he was so smart in school. She's like, well, then what's he doing there instead of being I don't know what else he would be doing. But she's like, well, he just seems like he's just sort of living alone. What are you talking about? And she's like, oh, well, he was dating someone. He loved her, so loyal to her, but then she cheated on him, and now he's doomed to be well loyal and sensitive forever. And also in the war he got extra shredded and has never got unshredded since. Ah. You know, his whole story is like how he became a perfect man. And I was, yeah, I did think that was fun. Oh yeah, it's great. It's women's right.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, we're gonna take a quick ad break because we're going to campaign to show us the war penis.
Speaker 1: Show it to us. Be Brave.
Speaker 2: It's the sequel to Warhorse. That's pretty much every war film we've had to watch.
Speaker 1: They still have like ten puppeteers doing it. Oh god, and it's beautiful. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: They originated it at the Donmar Warehouse and god, it's a powerful production, beautiful Olivier Award winning war Penis.
Speaker 1: But that is how a lot of and or like a lot of sort of Victorian era things, at least what I'm sorry what you wrote.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to think that this gamekeeper might be Lady Chatterley's lover, because before.
Speaker 1: That point, well not before that point, yeah, I wrote that one. I was already very obviously they were already One thing I did enjoy about the film early on is that you know it's called Lady Chatterley's Lover. You're no, she set up to go bone someone, but you don't know who yet, And so every character you meet, you're like, oh, oh, oh, it's gonna be a little are you her lover? Ladies lady? And then yeah, yeah, the group of miners walks through the town and you're like, I don't maybe it could be any one of them, every single person she meets. It's honestly, and by the way, that's exactly what Stardu Valley is like you walk around and it's like, who will you marry? Oh, that's what a lot of video game things are like. It's like, if you talk to them long enough in the town, perhaps they'll be the dream boat. And they're always like these fantasy type characters who are like, well, I was just cleaning up my home.
Speaker 2: Mmm, do you like a person who keeps a clean home? Is that a trait that you look for in a partner, because it sounds like it is.
Speaker 1: I do keep bringing it up. I think there's something that's inherently unsettling about a man's home being really gross. M and my current partner, who's gonna listen to this and be absolutely frightened. Messiness is not the same as dirtiness. Oh, Leona, thank you so much. You said, Sienna, are you doing okay? Mm hmm. Well, while I was watching with my brother and my mom, oh my god, they really do everything. Yeah, they do everything that a heterosexual couple on Netflix is want to do. Mm hmm. I was doing fine. I didn't love their first sex scene very much when he immediately puts it in okay, And maybe part of that was that I was watching it with my mom, with.
Speaker 2: Your brother and your mom and my brother. Mm hmm, this is so funny you wrote this movie is starting to remind me of Kez. Also, every time I type Kez in my notes, it autocorrects to kms.
Speaker 1: Because when he when he's like really with his uh the birds, I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: Who I was thinking the mine, I mean, the mine is so Kez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was when he was with his foul. Oh wow. I was like, wow, this is like sexy Kez. But every time I tud to keep going came from grown up and I love. I almost send you a picture of that, but I wanted to save it. But that is the most us thing in the world. Is us trying to type kez and it's changing to kms kms. Both things can be true. KMS is very brand for the film. Kazu Leanna. You said the title of this epp can just be happy for her, and I was good, that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really happy for her. She just she finds what she's.
Speaker 1: Actually looking for, and that's really nice. Yeah. I just didn't find him very I didn't find what they were doing all that well. It certainly wasn't Christian. Yeah, but also I was watching this with my mom and my brother.
Speaker 2: You're yeah rightected three Catholic blood relatives watch Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Speaker 1: You didn't bold this, but in.
Speaker 2: All caps, flop it out, flow it out, flop it out. You won't is that when he's running? Oh you wanted it to have that's before it happened. Oh and then later you wrote show us his bush. God, you're really heckling this film.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was. I mean, show us your moment. The romance thing is just too It is just a little too much for me, as we've discussed before. Also, I've now seen enough of this genre to know that as soon as they had sex for the first time, I was like, oh no ah, this is gonna be the rest of There's so much more. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, this is only just the beginning. It was mostly like again, I wasn't having a I was goofing around and like being critical. And also the only way to survive when you're watching with your brother and your mama is to be super critical, siering around and being critical. But I will say I will say, like I totally endorse this existing and like think it's fun and think it's really important to have. I do think it's important to have either a sexual education or just like sexual content that is not just like porn hub pornography hmmm, because a that's like very problematic and lot of ways and be just like not enjoyable for everyone, and to act like it is is like frustrating to me. So I'm glad that they have different sort of content and it's sort of like you get to spend more time with the characters and then also enjoy the sexual nature of it. But the part that I really wasn't vibing with was the end when it becomes like this rich woman is the best woman in the world, everybody needs to feel sorry for her. I was like, wait, that's an interesting reading of it. Just yeah, that's what it felt like to me. It felt very you know the point of a movie when unfor the help character, the one who is like their hired help is like, don't say anything bad about my employer. She is a way better woman than any of you servant mitches could ever be. She is nice to me, and guess what, she was in love with this man, so she's gonna stay by his side. And uh, if you really think about it, isn't it worst of all to be her? It's like, well, they didn't say any of that, but that's what That's what it felt like. That That was where I was like, that's too much for me. Yeah, I'm such a hater.
Speaker 2: You are being a hater, but you watched this with your mom and your brother. I don't think there was gonna be a different outcome.
Speaker 1: That is something I am always always critical of though. Is the poor defending the rich? Yeah? Well, and also just an ending this too convenient. I think I didn't know the genre what it was gonna be either, and I thought that maybe something really crazy was gonna happen at It's just something completely unexpected was gonna happen at the end, and I was kind of excited to see where they were gonna go. For example, when she came back and all the doors were locked for some reason, I was like, oh my god, Like, what's gonna happen? What are the consequences gonna be?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I thought they were gonna deal with the fact that they were real consequences, and they kind of did, like the fact that her compute entire community shut them out right, But I kind of thought that something more the way that sometimes you will like want intrigue. I thought something really kind of crazy was gonna happen, and it was just a little bit more. Which now the like, again, you were watching this movie as a second watch and also walked into the theater knowing what it was. If I'd been completely aware of the genre, I think I wouldn't have been as like what the heck about that? But I was scitized by the end because I didn't know it was just gonna end there I thought something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember the first time I watched it, I spent the whole time really tense because I kept expecting something. How it happened, Yeah, I was like someone's gonna die, someone's gonna kill somebody, everybody's gonna get typhus or something. Yeah, and being so relieved by the ending, but also like drained, like I was just so tired.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was really feel surprised.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for sure, watching it a second time was just like you are watching like countryside soft pornography two hours, Like it's just like, isn't this lovely?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And again get that like yeah that is that is That's I think. Another thing I'd like about it is. It's actually it does have the ending of it just being pleasant. He's unexpected because this genre is so laden with like tragedy, especially a period piece.
Speaker 1: O Leanna, your final notes are I am giggling and kicking my feet. Good for you girl, Good for you girl, so happy for her? Yeah, she really got It's just nice.
Speaker 2: Well, shall we move on to our badges and traged let's do it, Okay, this is I obviously have a lot of badges.
Speaker 1: This, of course we give badges for boning and tragis for talking shit about Lady Chatterley. The affair.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, I have a badge for it. The countryside is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the nature and this was really pretty. Yeah. Badge for a nice high bathtub. I love the bathtub that he got into. Why don't they make bathtubs that high up anymore? Get in there? Absolutely, badge for the North of England, all these Northerners. The badge for the colors in the movie. I liked what they were doing with all the muted stuff. And then every now and then she wear something bright or the reasoning appearing. Also the flower bouquet that she got from in front of him. Oh, isn't it so gorgeous? It was so I literally gasped. It was so well, that's the only thing you're allowed to like audibly react to when you're watching this with your mom and your brother. I'm like, lovely bouquet. Wow, look at it. Hey, everyone, look at that bouquet. That bouquet is very badge for the use of letters to kind of set up exposition or move the platforward when she's narrating her letters to her sister. Oh yeah, I liked that badge for that sister being completely real talk. She slade so hard. She's so real. She'll just come in and say everything that you, as the modern viewer, are kind of wondering about. And then, even though it messed everything up, I did think it was really funny that she picked her up from in front of what's his name's house? Oh yeah, because that is so sister coded. It's like, okay, sorry, you want to do the super irresponsible thing you want to be with this man's a bad fine, I'm picking up in front of his house. It's like, wait, a seat, It's like the horn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's so real. I have a badge for the sister is so slay. Yeah, I really liked her a lot.
Speaker 1: Badge for the way that sex scenes are directed. I just feel so much safer for watching films directed by women when it comes to that, just because like, yeah, I mean, we've had to see so much stuff that it just felt like a completely different view something directed specifically by men who are like weirdly powerful and love looking at women and love looking at stuff and want to, you know, create fantasy. And it's just this is a different type of a fantasy obviously, but even the very first scene, this is one way of looking at it is like making fun of it. But I actually liked that. I think their first sex scene seems like they're one where they're the least comfortable and she's a little bit like Okay, I like this, but like and I think that's actually very real that they she would get more comfortable and more yeah, immersed. And also I thought it was really funny that when they're done, he's like, which is also yeah, that's the female lens right there, because it's like, yeah, yeah, he's like Okay, it's like that was great. Next time, Let's do more stuff. That's like, and they do, and they do. Next time they really do. Yeah, bad for a dog. I think that was a very cute dog. Yeah, she was great. Badge for the baby chicks Kez Kez mode.
Speaker 2: It's so not like it's just like Kez. A badge for female friendship when she befriends the woman in the town.
Speaker 1: Yea that. Yeah, I have a badge for that baby. Mm hmmm. I thought that baby was so cute, even though I did not know what that baby was possibly eating, like what little scraps did baby?
Speaker 2: I think it was a breadstick. Oh it looked because I was trying to I thought it was like a wood chip. But first I was really concerned. But I think it was a breadstick. Badge for the lighting getting brighter, like the color palette of the movie shifts as she gets I love falls in love.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did like that. Yeah, I'm so glad. Yeah. Uh. And I guess my final badge that I've put down is for just some of the outfits I really love. There are a couple of dresses where I was like absolutely slay, like when she was in Venice and she's wearing sort of like a teal with a red belt.
Speaker 2: M loved it so much. Badge for I love how much they laughed together. I really liked how much laughter was incorporated into it because like, yes, there was a lot of physical passion, but it also there is a lot of laughter in those moments in life, and so that was I just thought that was really nice. Yeah, badge for I wrote Nurse Sleigh. When the nurse who's seing care of her husband calls her to alert her to like, hey, you should come back, she is hitting the fan.
Speaker 1: Such a homie, she's such a homie.
Speaker 2: A badge for sisterhood when her sister is like fine, like kind of just standing with her. And then a My final badge is a badge for no one died in a car crash. I yea, they always ready at this time that I was so ready for someone to have died in a car crashed. Like I remember the first time I watched this, the scene where his letter to her is narrating the visuals of her walking up to his new cottage in Scotland and she's looking for him but not finding him that entire time. The first time I watched this.
Speaker 1: I was like, he's dead. He's dead somewhere, he's dead. He died because things like spoiler alert coming up. Shows like Downton Abbey make us feel they took all our confidence away. And also this era where it's like, sorry, cars are new, we barely know how to use them. Yep, we're going too fast. All of our road that was built for horses, their mud and grass m hm. And everyone's drunk all the time and or on heavy opiates operating machinery. So someone's always blowing up in a car, which is fair.
Speaker 2: And it was so lovely that that didn't happen in this film.
Speaker 1: I love the ending. I love it.
Speaker 2: I actually think they could have ended it where he comes up and hugs her and she gasps, like, I think that could have been it.
Speaker 1: But I don't mind a longer hug. That's fine. Hey, tra trages okay, I seem to only have two. Okay. My first trage is for to be honest, I did not feel the chemistry with these people. I didn't really think they had enormous chemistry. But again, we know I have specific tastes. You should do me, okay, so we know that. And again you were watching it with your mom and your brother. I just I wasn't completely Again, I didn't dislike these people generally, but just in terms of their like beautiful chemistry. I don't know. It wasn't completely if this had been mister Darcy from from Matthew what's his name is? Yeah, that was a romance I can get behind. But I also saw it when I was I imprinted on that movie, so I know I'm a little.
Speaker 2: Bit yes, And there's no bush in that film. No, mm hmmm, I have a trage for I don't know how I feel about this chalk font at the beginning and at the end, I don't remember. Just literally, like the design of the credits. Before and after the movie, I was like, Eh, it's too anachronistic. It needs to be lovely interesting. Instead it was more like too modern. I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Hmm interesting. Yeah. There were a few moments. They also had a few times where they said things where I'm like, I do not think that is historically accurate. For example, the phrase have sex that sounds kind of modern. Do you think it sounded very modern? Yeah? I also like, I'm not sure trag for. I was really frustrated by the horrible decisions they were making. I was like, you guys have completely isolated yourself from every community and this baby is not going to have any friends to help take care for it. Oh, I forgot about the baby. They're street up, they streight up have a baby, and everyone has turned on them, though they'll probably come back around and whatever. Like, I just don't think this was very responsible. I think it was very irresponsible because you guys wanted to bone.
Speaker 2: Sure, but also it was and I mean, we can't even begin to talk about contraceptive options in the nineteen twenties. My god, ah, yeah, sure. My other trage is a trag for and this is no one's fault, but cold lighting in the film. On a very cold day that I was watching the film, I was really cold watching this, and because Lady Chatterley looks so cold during the film and the lighting is very blue at the beginning because there's like not love in her life, I was the shivering, which again no one's thought, but it was too bad.
Speaker 1: My final yeah, my final trage is just a it's just the general trage that I didn't love the ending. I just thought it was very unnuanced and un But my other trag at the end of this movie, I did check in with myself and go I'm a hater. Oh, oh, you know what I've thought about. I thought about in Ratituwei when he talks about critics. Oh my gosh, he gives that speech about like it's easy to be a critic. People work on all this stuff and then you just get to come in and say something snide and to be honest, my friend being in. Yeah, anyway, it's something I'm reflecting on about myself in my life at this time because I'm in like a collective group right now where we try to make stuff and uh in my whatever comedy group, and we all will just like have a lot of opinions, and every now and then we've check in with ourselves and go, is there even a point of me having an opinion on this? Or am I just trying to be a hater just to like assert my dominance in life that I can have an opinion on something that actually was just like a fine thing. So anyway, I would like to say that it did make me self reflect and I'm sorry for all the haterism and hater aid. Yeah, I'm sorry for the hater aid. And it was I had fun having some hating on this movie, and it was the way to watch it with my mom and brother, and I would like to give that disclaimer the only way to survive. I'd also like to acknowledge that watching Ratitui has made me think about what it means to be a critic. Yeah, because it's been sitting in my mind. I was literally thinking about his speech while watching this movie. I'm like, I am a hater. I've been so mean. Oh my gosh. Anyway, so just so you know, I've been self reflecting.
Speaker 2: Nay slay well, speaking of self reflecting. Yeah, let's move on to our segment. How to pretend you've seen this film in which you are. You are at your little cottage of solitude, surrounded by pheasant chicks, and it's just not at all, not even the same birds, not not for not by Miles what's her husband's name, Clifford. Clifford comes up to you and shatters your solitude with a complete lack of self reflection by saying, I have there's nothing, I have, no faults, and I that reminds me of the perfect character of Sir Clifford in the film Lady Chatterley's Lover, which is of course about Sir Clifford Chatterly and his journey as a writer.
Speaker 1: And did order to ah excommunicate Clifford from all communities in all classes in this town. We're gonna give you a few things that you can say to pretend that you've seen the film Lady Chatterley's Lover twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yes, Clifford, I've seen Lady Chatterly's Lover. There's a character from Lady Chatterly's past, a German boy that she seems to have had an affair with who nobody can get over. But I must say at that time everybody had their own German boy. I mean really, the English monarchs were cousins with the German ones.
Speaker 1: Ah okay here, yes, Clifford, I have seen Lady Chatterley's Lover. One of the main claims to fame of this film is it's unique and thoughtful intimacy, and a lot of that is because the director, Laure de Claremont Tournaire. Sure it's a very French name. I'm sorry, Laura, Laura. The director uh brought in an intimacy coordinator who comes from a dancer's background, which is interesting. One of my intimacy coordinator friends was also a choreographer, so I guess there's a pipeline because they know about movement and things like that, and they kind of went over it together, should go over it with this choreography intimacy coordinator and then would bring the actors in and then go over it with them and kind of come up with bringing their ideas and figure out what they're comfortable with and then go from there. So it was like a very collaborative and open and comfortable space, which is just just makes so much sense for how you should do sex scenes, especially ones that are supposed to be this intimate and this raw, and it does come through that. It feels like a very a very genuine and comfortable space, which is like such an important part of sexuality. Yeah. Yes, much more natural and much more safe is what they say it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Clifford, I've seen Lady Chatterley's Lover, and I'm gonna have to arrange for you to get picked up by my sister who's gonna honk her horn at any moment, because my God, please get away.
Speaker 1: Yes, Clifford, I have seen Lady Chatterley's Lover. There's not that much trivia on this film. In fact, there's only four and they're mostly pretty late, and one of them is that Emma Corn made the decision to grow out their natural pubic hair. Yes, bush, the bush seemed clear, but good for them, I guess. Ah. I'm sorry that's the only trivia on here, but I kind of also love that. Yeah, that totally makes sense because they wanted to reflect the time, et cetera. Yeah, of course, instead of wearing a murcan, which I didn't realize people were always wearing these days.
Speaker 2: Still, oh right, that really screams like fifteen hundreds, doesn't it. Yeah, Yeah, Yes, Clifford, I've seen Lady Chatterley's Lover and don't you dare say anything negative about that couple. I'll not hear a word spoken against them. Of course, it's a love story.
Speaker 1: Yes, Clifford, I've seen Lady Chatterley's Lover. I did read a short interview with Emma Corn about this film. They put a lot into it and wanted it to be really genuine and uh natural, and it was a They said it was an important film for them because it's one of the few times whereas an actor I didn't feel like make believe because it was so raw that they got to actually, you know, like the freedom they experienced from being naked in the countryside was real and uh. Also, in addition to that, they said that their family and friends got through watching the movie and still talk to them, So that's a positive thing. Yeah, that's so real.
Speaker 2: And now that you have shut the cottage door in Clifford's face, we can return to the cozy dining table. That's our segment should you watch this or in which we tell you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do maybe something else while you're at home with your mom and brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe you should do something else. Leanna, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I would say, Yes, you can watch Lady Chatterley's Lover. Be sure to not watch it with your parents or siblings because that will be tough. That it'll be tough to really perceive the film under such circumstances. But it's very beautiful. If you've ever been after people or uh felt deeply alone, it's a really Yeah, it'll strike a chord. Uh, Yep, that's what I would say.
Speaker 1: Sianna, What about you? I would say you don't have to watch Lady Child Lucier specifically, if you're home with your family, you don't have to watch it, and I would recommend probably not. Here's what I say about romance movies. Once the boning starts, it's not gonna stop for about fifty five minutes. Yeah uh, but and there will be a montage that's just boning. I think if you like, no shame and not trying to be crass with this, but like, if you do want to see watch people have sex, like this is a good uh comfortable and clearly like coordinated and like joyous space for it. I don't know, I think this is a great yeah, sex film, I do like, And there's a time for it, and there's a time for not watching that with your whole family A great it's a great sex film. I do genuinely think that instead of porn on like gross porn websites that are super exploitative and explicit and not exemplary of real life and like the real intimacy behind sexuality, that these are the kind of things that we should have for sexual education. So I really am glad things like this exist. Well, you could watch instead, you could watch its family friendly, or if you just like want the romance side of things that's less racy or just like straight up nude sexual intercourse, straight up nude, straight up nude sexual intercourse. You can watch a show that I just started watching, Heart Stopper, Oh, which is you would they are that's the opposite of having sex all that is. And I thought it would be cute in a way that was like a little bit the way that romance movies. I sometimes I am also a little turned off by just because I'm like, it's it's just like too much or too sweet or too whatever. I can sometimes just be a little bit. It's just not my complete taste. And I thought Stopper would be like that. But it works for me.
Speaker 2: It's so really sweet, It's really see have you seen Tricksy and Katia's reactions? Yes, yeah, so so funny, so good. Well that's a great recommendation. Well you want to definitely see No one have said you can watch art Stopper.
Speaker 1: It is perfect for that. Oh but there we go.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Siana survived Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Speaker 1: That was insane.
Speaker 2: Everyone so much for listening. We've been tossed Popcorn. We are all over social media at Tossed Popcorn really just one Instagram actually, and we are also on Patreon, patreon dot com slash tast Popcorn, where we post bonus episodes in video form and join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 4: Little Women nineteen ninety four who Thank You, We Love You Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put on episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. I'd like them to be able to have conversations beyond just wasn't making out. They talk about books. They talk about books all the time. So the other problem is I could barely understand him. Oh my god. So in retrospect again, I was watching this film completely with my family, completely blocking out everything. Every time they were naked, I was like, oh gods, and trying to talk over it. And then in those slivers of moments where they would speak, I'd like it was at he'd like like, Okay, I guess I'm talking aout SECONDA I guess I have nothing to talk about. Because he didn't say anything,