Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. Listener mail My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and my name is Joe McCormick. And it's Monday, the day of each week that we read back some messages from the mail bag. By the way, if you have never gotten in touch with us before, but maybe you've always wanted to, why not give it a try. You can email us at contact at stuff to blow your Mind dot com. We accept all kinds of messages, feedback, thoughts on recent episodes, anything interesting you want to add to a topic we've recently talked about, if you want to suggest a topic for the future, If you have questions, corrections, any of the above, send them on in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean you might think, well, my name's Jim and I don't know if they need any more gems. Don't let that stop you. We can always use more gems. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Our army of Jim's grows every mightier. Let's see, Rob, do you want to kick things off today by reading this message about minimal group paradigm, not from Jim but from tim Ah.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do it. Tim Ride's high stuff to blow your mind. Team obligatory mention that you guys are doing an amazing job, because well you are. Thanks Tim, Thank you, Tim. Tim continues The recent episode about the minimum requirements for an in group out group bias to take form took me back to many years of going to and then helping run church youth camps. Oh Boy campers would be divided into teams arbitrarily for many games. It always resulted in stiff competition and dogged tribalism if the groups weren't mixed up every few games. This makes me wonder if the in group preference, etc. Is stronger at different stages of life. Maybe hormonal teams would show the effect more strongly, with a tapering off in midlife, then more negative associations coming up again with the traditionally stuffy old man yelling at kids to get off their lawn. But old Uncle John probably just had a bad temper because of arthritis, not an in out group mentality against the local scooter gang. Anyway, Thanks for stimulating some thought and a touch of nostalgia. Keep up a good work, regards Tim.
Speaker 3: Tim. This is a great point. I have no direct evidence to this effect, at least not any you know, from scientific journals, but based on life experience, I would strongly suspect that the in group out group rapid forming paradigms would be that effect would be strongest among teenagers. I don't know exactly why, but that feels true.
Speaker 2: Highly social creatures. I mean, I know we've in the past on the show. It's probably been a long time we've touched on some of the research about the teenage brain and why the teenage brain is different. You know, why things of social value you have different weight in the in the in the teenage brain. So, yeah, it's the kind of research we might might have to come back to at some point. I guess we'll come back to it eventually, because when my son becomes a teenager and I have to make sense of it all a little all over again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, teenage Homo sapiens are they're like socialization machines there. You know, that's where you're trying to find your place in the world. And your place in the world means a number of things, like finding what you're good at and so forth, But maybe the most important of all those categories of place finding is social place. What group do you fit in.
Speaker 2: With yeah, Do I have a star on my belly? Do not? Do I have a blue check mark? Do I not? We're going to watch some of this play out in real time.
Speaker 3: All right, Are you ready for some responses to our episodes on childhood Amnesia?
Speaker 2: Let's have it.
Speaker 3: Just to note, we've gotten a lot of feedback to the series, so we're trying to read through as many of them as we can, but there is a backlog, so there are still a bunch we won't get to today, but we will try to keep reading them as the weeks go on. So this first message comes from Joseph. Hey, guys, I'm playing a bit of catch up lately, and just listen to your first episode on memory. I found the episode fascinating since I have virtually zero memories of my childhood. Nothing at all springs to mind from zero to six. I guess ages zero to six, and I've spent an hour or so trying to think of something. I was talking with my wife and she easily rattled off a dozen memories of preschool in kindergarten, and that seems like the normal experience. I'm often aware of some differences in the way I think and the way my brain works. But your podcast was really a very striking episode to me, as I'd never really considered how unique my experience might be. I was six when the first thing that I can remember happened. I distinctly remember being in the office of my father's business, finding everything to be much too loud, and removing my hearing aid to place it on the nearby countertop. I contracted bacterial meningitis when I was just a few weeks old and was stricken deaf by the disease. Not an unusual consequence. What is unusual is that over time my hearing completely restored, and now I hear with one hundred percent acuity. This is the first moment I remember being able to hear, and also the first moment I remember at all. I did some research and there are some really fascinating angles in the development of autobiographical memory in deaf children as well as neurodivergent children. I'm neurodiverse, but not on the autism spectrum. Maybe you talked about this in your second episode, so apologies if it's redundant, but I found it all very interesting, although not particularly satisfying, as an explanation of my unique experience of autobiographical Memory. And then Joseph here includes a couple of links to scientific papers, so I took a look. They were both pretty interesting, so I dug up the citations and added summaries. So the first one is a paper by Tiffany west Weigel and Patricia Bauer published in the journal Memory in the year two thousand. The title of the paper is Deaf and Hearing Adults Recollections of Childhood and Beyond. So this one investigated one of the ideas we discussed in the series, the possibility that the horizon of earliest memories may be influenced by differences in narrative socialization, sort of the culture of autobiographical storytelling that the child grows up within. So if early formation of lasting memories is to some degree dependent on exposure to adult patterns of storytelling for events, then you would expect children who have later acquisition of language itself to have later earliest memories. So the author's right quote. In the present research, we tested the hypothesis that, by virtue of later exposure to language, individuals born deaf to hearing parents will have earliest memories from later in life relative to hearing individuals, and what did they find. Actually, the hypothesis was not supported. The age of earliest memory did not vary between deaf children and children with typical hearing. However, there were some interesting differences, so the core hypothesis was falsified, but there were differences observed they write quote. Nevertheless, adults who are deaf were found to have less dense representations of early autobiographical memories and to include in their narrative reports fewer categories of information, including visual spatial information, relative to hearing adults. So I thought that was really really interesting in this study. At least children with less early exposure to language based narrative by virtue of the fact that they were deaf children born to hearing adults don't seem to have a different temporally different horizon of earliest memory. But their very earliest memories do seem to have less elaborative detail in the words of some of the stuff we were looking at in the series, and that includes details that would not be affected by deafness itself. So, at least on the surface, this is interesting but frustrating right like it would appear to provide some evidence both for and against the role of language and narrative culture in establishing capabilities for early memory. There's some relationship between these variables in the study apparent in those differences in like the detailed density, but the average age of the earliest memories were not significantly different. Now, the second study that Joseph linked was about the earliest memories of people on the autism spectrum. This was by zemashik at All Vera zamashik at All, published in the journal Frontiers in Psychiatry in twenty sixteen, called Earliest Memories of Individuals on the Autism Spectrum assessed using online self reports. And I was going to just read from the abstract here, but I found that it relies on a specialized concept that the authors call quote no events know no events versus remember events. So I'm pulling a section from later in the paper to define that difference. First, the authors write quote when participants knew that an event occurred meaning in their lives, but could not relive any details relating to it, these events are referred to as no events. These events are based on external sources, such as photographs or stories told by friends and family. In their description of the no events, participants had to indicate the source of their memory, remember events our memories that are pure personal recollections specific to time and place. These events could be relived by the participant and relied on no other sources. So with that in mind, the paper begins by observing conflicting accounts in the literature. They say, on the one hand, quote, autobiographical accounts by people with autism reveal vivid memories of early childhood, and yet at the same time they say that a lot of previous experiments have found that people with autism quote have deficits in personal autobiographic memory compared to people without autism. So to read from the abstract here quote. To assess this contradiction empirically, we implemented an online questionnaire on early childhood events to compare people on the autism spectrum and non autistic people with respect to their earliest autobiographical episodic memories and the earliest semantic no event as told by another person. Results indicate that people on the autism spectrum do not differ from non autistic people in the age of their earliest no events, but they remember events from an earlier age in childhood and with more sensory details contradicting the assumption of an overall deficit in personal episodic memory in autism. Furthermore, our results emphasize the supporting influence of language for memory formation and give evidence for an important role of sensory features in memories of people on the autism spectrum. So I don't know quite what to make of that, but I find it interesting that you have these studies that have come to completely opposite conclusions and results on that whether people on the autism spectrum compared to people not on the spectrum, tend to have deficits in early childhood autobiographical memory or have richer, more detailed memories, as this study seems to find fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, this is the angle I didn't even think about.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah again huge thanks to Joseph for a fast email.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We also asked people about their own earliest childhood memories, and especially if anybody had memories that they believed were genuine from before the normal threshold of earliest memories that is typically found of around you know, with some variations three years old or three and a half years old. Some people wrote having apparently much older memories, or at least so they believed, and one of them was Matt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Matt writes in and says, hey, guys, I was just listening to the first couple of your before you could remember episodes and decided I would relay my earliest memories, which, should it be true, maybe the earliest you are likely to come across before I do. I just want to be clear that I will not be offended if you should question any part of this memory and relate it to anything from modified memories or even wholly false memories. Anyways, onto my memory, I remember visiting the doctor in my early life, and during that visit, the doctor took out a glass's case and took out a ballpoint pin, places it against my heel and clicked it to draw blood, and then pressed an index card against my bloody heel to leave an imprint on several points along the card. For further context, I first related this memory of my mother when I was a teen, and she pointed out the similarities to how the newborn blood spot test is performed, which, should this be a true memory, would have happened when I was approximately one week old. But anyway, for a bit more insight and possible discussion, the specific details that are most vivid in this memory are and then we have a list here. First the ballpoint pen being one of those generic white pins you might find at a bank or insurance office with the company name printed on the side. Secondly the characteristic lines of the standard three y five index card, then the light pink color of the walls in the room, and then finally a plant in the corner of the room with fern like leaves and matt notes. Not all of these are relevant to the retelling of the story, but that's how they sit in my memory banks. You can probably already see how some of these details don't quite fit with what would have been the literal reality of the situation believed to be the source of this memory, but hopefully you can also see how they might be connected via more common substitutes with similar looking objects. Also, to be clear, I did not concisely know of this test before relating the memory, nor was I led into it in any way that I recall beyond talking about our earliest memories in general. Anyways, did you know that the first official high five only occurred in nineteen seventy seven during a Dodgers game. Love what you are doing? And thanks for the stimulating audio to help me with my long commute to work every day. Matt.
Speaker 3: Very interesting, Matt. I bet you're going to have people who challenge you on the nineteen seventy seven Dodgers thing your own personal first autobiographical memory.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's harder to fight people on. As we raise in each of the issue episodes where we cover these emails, there are some reasons to be skeptical or critical about what we believe to be our earliest memories, not because people would be intentionally misrepresenting or anything, but just because of the many ways that we know information that we get from external sources can come to feel like genuine firsthand memories to us, and we can't actually tell the difference. But this is very interesting because here you're at least sort of like relaying a sense memory that you wouldn't have had, at least you believe informational context to make sense of, Like you wouldn't have known why you would have a memory of a ballpoint pin and a card, but there actually was a medical test that would resemble these types of objects.
Speaker 2: It actually reminds me of a very early childhood memory that I have and I've never even inquired with my mom like when this would be from. But I know that it has some falsification in it or some combinations going on here, because in it I in this memory, I was taken to the doctor. I think it's just like a check up or something as a as a small child, and my doctor was clearly Gene Shallett, the movie critic. Now, I I'm Gene Shallette was was in no way my actual doctor. But what I suspect, Are you sure? I'm I'm pretty sure, But I suspect that my doctor maybe looked faintly like Geene Shallette, and I would have seen Gene Shalatt on the television at some point and it just became Gene Shalat in my memory in this, you know, this very faint childhood memory.
Speaker 3: I see. So Gene Shallett to your actual doctor is similar to the relationship between Matt's idea of a ballpoint pin versus the like sticker object that would be used to pierce the skin for a blood test exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, I find these these exercises interruction. So I really really appreciated this Matt, you know, providing us these details to sort of like pick apart a little bit as best you know, as best we can do, knowing what we do about about memory and how it works.
Speaker 3: This next email from Selena was really valuable because this brings with it some professional expertise. All right, Note there are just a few edits for lengthen here, but Selena writes with regards to infantile amnesia. Similar to the hippocampal learning theory, developing a language seems to be at least one factor for when a person develops the skill of recalling and describing past events. Doctor Francesca daily Espinoza has given several presentations that relate to this. She has mentioned that in her work with deaf children, if she taught them sign language, it improved their ability to recall information or phrasing and hopefully not totally off base in my summary, she hypothesizes that pre language children have not yet developed a self echoic verbal skill i e. Our inside voice or self talk, which is why they recall much less and less accurately than children who have learned a language. In various experiments, she's found that disrupting the self echoic in children who have developed a language affects recall accuracy, eg. Trying to learn or remember a phone number while someone is saying random numbers out loud, because it prevents you from quote hearing your self echoic repetition of the phone number you're trying to remember. When working on recalling events, she has used a phrase to describe how to teach children to recall or to improve their recall by ensuring that they are quote verbally present at the time the event is occurring. The adult describes what is happening in the present moment and prompts the child to describe what is happening and or answer what, when, where type questions about what is happening in the present moment to ensure they are verbally present. This helps increase the salience of what is happening and improves delayed recall. Oh that's very interesting. I'd almost want to try that out. So, like, under this idea, recall of information learned in a setting would be better if during that setting you ask children like, where are you right now? What are we doing, so that they have a kind of yeah, have that like verbal awareness of their immediate situation. Anyway, Selena goes on to say, anecdotally, in my work with children as a behavior analyst. The point at which autistic children who are language delayed can recall events is strongly correlated with the development of the verbal prerequisites mentioned by doctor Espinosa. The information she presented was in the context of a presentation at Penn State Conferences for Applied Behavior Analysis, which is the acronym's ABA slash verbal behavior. Selena gives some caveats about how she can't dig up specific references at the moment totally understands Selena. She goes on to say language development can happen at different times for kids slash. People with different learning histories. If the hippocampal theory supposes recall occurs after the hippocampus developed sufficiently, then in theory, adults should be able to recall events regardless of having learned a language. However, in a book called A Journey into the Deaf World by Laine Hoffmeister in Bhan I believe there are examples provided of deaf people who had no functional form of communication until someone taught them sign language at an adult age. Following the hippocampal theory, the adults should be able to recall events from their pre language adult lives, however, and sadly, their recall of life before learning a language is largely unremembered, like having infantile amnesia for most of their life until they learned to sign language. What they could recall was extremely vague and more sensory than specific details or events. And then she notes that it's been over two decades since she read the book, so recall is fuzzy about whether this was a single case of a deaf person acquiring a sign language as an adult or multiple cases. But anyway, Selena goes on to say, the flip side of this might be what if learning a language is one of the processes that develops the hippocampus chicken or egg. Regarding the early memories that are forgotten in adolescents, synaptic pruning probably plays a major role. Use it or lose it. With regards to what I can personally recalls my earliest memories, it's mostly from kindergarten, although I have some memories from preschool. For example, in preschool I used to make wishes on dandelions in the grass during outside play periods. I can still remember three of my wishes. They didn't come true. Oh well, there are other events from my childhood that my parents have described to me and I don't recall them. For example, I was present when my sister uttered her first words, but I have no personal memory of this event. Appreciate the multi episode deep dives on topics. Thanks Selena, Oh, Selena, what a fantastic email. Thank you so much. I love it when people with direct expertise on something we talk about get in touch to fill in things like this.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, this is a good one.
Speaker 3: Okay. We've got a bunch more messages about our series on childhood amnesia to get to, but we're gonna have to wrap it up there for today and finish off with a couple of Weird House messages. We will try to get to more of the memory responses in future episodes. Now, to kick things off about Weird House Cinema, we got a pronunciation note from our listener Carrie, in response to the episode on the Never End Story where we make reference to the other Wolfgang Peterson movie, the nineteen eighty one film about a German submarine, and we pronounced the title dos boot. Carrie informs us that while the German word is spelled boot, it is pronounced the same as the English word boat, so it's actually dos boat meaning the boat. Carrie hate to break it to you, but I think literally every English speaker I've ever heard make reference to this film said boot. I don't know what explains that. Maybe this is just something we do in the anglophone world. We kind of like take an incorrect pronunciation and just cement it. So I accept the correction and appreciate it. But on the other hand, I would say it's almost just the case that in the English speaking world the movie is called dos Boot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like that great Japanese horror movie ring it right, and with dust boat or doss boot, you know. Cisco and Ebert said boot. And I guess that, you know, kind of gets stuck in your head. Now, in the Simpsons it was dos Butt. I don't think there was supposed to be that was supposed to be maybe a knockoff film. I had to look that one up. That was in the episode New Kid on the Block. That was a Conan O'Brien scripted episode.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, but it's still appreciate the message, Kerry, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now. We received some other listener mail regarding the Never Ending Story episode of weird House Cinema, and yeah, I don't think we're gonna be able to get to all of those today either, but I wanted to read at least one of them. This one comes to us from Maya. Maya writes Sin and says, dear Joe and rot the never Ending Story. I was that child that, from time to time would lock herself up in her room for a whole Sunday and read it cover to cover, almost like an enactment of Bastion's Night in the School. I was eleven when the motion picture was released, and by that time I must have read it thirty times and knew it by heart. I'm afraid to report that I found the movie adaptation loathsome for me, both the characters and Fantasia as was translated into Spanish were more somber, stern and beautiful and German than anything that was betrayed in the movie. Leaving the ending aside, my favorite chapters were Lacking Zia Day and the Seeing Hand Castle Perilyn, the Night Jungle, Miss and I don't remember how oh see, I'm not sure how this was pronounced, and and I'm a little foggy on this chapter of Miss Aula and her ever changing home. Come on anyhow, thank you for featuring it as one of your Weird House Cinema episodes. Through your eyes, I came to appreciate many features that as a child felt like treason. Guess Michael Into himself must have felt the same way, since he hated the movie. By the way, you mentioned that Inda's father was a surrealist painter, and it came to mind one of my favorite Indo's books, The Mirror in the Mirror, a surrealist book, if ever there was one. I strongly recommend it all the best. Maya.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks Maya. I don't even know what these references Zayaday and the Seeing Handcastle not a clue.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do remember, I remember Zaida for sure. And the Night Jungle. Yeah, there are a bunch of additional little adventures, and there's some other paradoxes they encounter and so forth. It's it's a great read. Again, I highly recommend Michael Linda's The Never A Next Story.
Speaker 3: In a strange way, this feels like a parallel universe version of the nerd complaining about how they didn't put Tom Bombadill in the movies.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean the reading of a book can can be very personal, and I do like that this is This email also centers in on childhood reading of books, which I've observed this with my own son, whose name is also Bestia. When he reads the book that he likes, he's very likely to want to read it over and over again in ways that adults may not. You know, there are books that I reread, but I give them a little time and let my adult brain forget most of them so that he can come back and re experience it again. But there's there's kind of this ritual to it sometimes with young readers. I think, where yet you just have to read it again and again to experience it again and again. It has maybe a different way to reality to the reader totally.
Speaker 3: I have exactly the same pattern. When I was a kid, I used to reread books over and over. I sort of stopped doing that as an adult. There have been a few, but not nearly as many when I was a kid. If I liked it, I'd read it five times.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the gifts of adulthood is that you get to You end up forgetting half the stuff happens, even in a book you love, and then you're like, oh man, this book is great, But I mean it's always the case that, you know, kidding aside. You know, a really great book speaks to you differently depending on when you're reading it, and you're going to find things that you didn't find the previous time. And you know that, I think in my own experience there, you know, there there are a few books that I definitely see this end definitely Doomed by Frank Herbert. Every time I've read it, it's spoken to me a little differently, and I suspect it's that way with never ending story. I never read it as a child, but it has that level of depth to it that I feel like anytime you read it, you're likely to get a different experience. You're can to pick up on different things. There's stuff in there that's very much for the child reader, there's stuff in there for the adult, and there's probably stuff that you know is intended to speak into in different ways to those different audiences.
Speaker 3: All right, well, thank you so much to everybody who got in touch this week. As I said, we've got a lot more to to read, so we will try to tackle more of that next Monday, but for now, I think we'll cap it there.
Speaker 2: That's right. If you want to listen to more, listener mail, though it's every Monday, and the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast feed core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a short form monster fact or artifact on Wednesdays, and on Friday, we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird movie on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact, stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.