Speaker 1: It's time for the Bobby Bones Post Show.
Speaker 2: Here's your host, Bobby Bone.
Speaker 1: Hello. It's actually on a Saturday, so we haven't done any Saturday shows, but as a bonus to you, a Saturday post show, which sometimes I don't want to clutter the feed with too many things at once. I get so annoyed when people put up random stuff in our feed that I have no idea what it is. And it's like Frank Sinatra's cousin talks about New York and it's an hour long podcast on Frank's and that's not a real podcast, but it's like an hour long podcast or something that like the company, and it's like right in our feed. That annoys me so much. So even if we're putting up lots of stuff, I'm gonna put this up on Saturday, because there shouldn't be anything from Frank Sinatra's cousin up on our feed today. So everybody, thanks for being here on Saturday, even though it's actually Friday.
Speaker 3: Happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you real though, since it is Friday, Like I was out late last night. Thomas Rhett had an album release that we record as like a national album release that airs I think in the afternoons on like all of our stations. I don't know when it's airing, probably the next couple weeks. And so I like Thomas Rhett. So I go to this place and I don't do many of these. I like to do them with the people that I like because it's very easy if that's the case. And so I'm hanging out with Thomas Reft for a while, and it doesn't really start till like seven thirty seven forty five, which is extremely late for me in my life, but it's okay, and so do it. And it goes a little long at eight fifteen, eight twenty A couple observations. They did not know he was going to be there. The people there in that room, oh was this rise? Sort of? They also did not know I was going to be there. So what they were pitched it was people from the Thomas RHTT fan club that I would assume we're from here or an hour and a half or two hours less away. They would drive it. They's say, Thomas Reht's new albums coming out in a couple of weeks. We actually will play it for you guys first, if you want to come. And I would think fifteen twenty people, which I had one hundred people there. Oh wow, just to listen to music. I'm not listening to anybody's music. I'm not driving ten minutes just to listen to somebody's pre music. Yeah, now maybe jaded.
Speaker 3: They're getting it early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait two weeks. But again, they spent their even just listening to this. I wouldn't do that for anybody. I wish that I had that kind of passion for like an artist, that I would go sit and listen to their music early, and then the cool thing was they listened and then So how I always get screwed in these situations, because I'll make this about me for a second, is that the guy goes up before me who was hosting the tracks, This wasn't recorded for any show, and he goes, hey, we got a surprise for you. Guys. They're like, it's Tom's rett. He goes it's Bollybones. And so it's met with a very tepid response. Right, So I wish they would have said nothing about a surprise. Who gives a crap about me? If they're there for a Thomas Rhett fan club party, Like, who cares about me? What would have been nice is Hey, cool, thank you guys, and then I just walk on like, what's so, guys, say it's Bobby. We once want to come by and say whatever, but because it was like, we got a surprise for you guys. And they're at a Thomas Rat listening party and they're in Nashville and they I can feel the like the air in a positive way. Go can kind of get sucked out of the room ready for Thomas Rhett, Bobby Bones.
Speaker 3: Listen. Then did you get to iding them back up again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I had to feel that not without meat being reminded. Then nobody gives a crap and I already know that, but like, I don't need to ship to my face every day, especially when I'm there working voluntarily.
Speaker 4: How was the reaction for Thomas rest?
Speaker 1: It's great. But I walk out and I'm like, what up? And they're like, oh, that's how about that. It's like seeing your mailman at Walmart. It's kind of weird, but you know it's still a thing. You're like, this is a mailman, not anymore does mailman clothes? That's crazy. They can't believe that's what I feel like. I'm like, oh, your maleman at Walmart? You can't believe you see me. Third of them probably didn't even know how it was. So then I'm I'm like, well, I also have a surprise for you guys. At this point, they're like, I'm a little unfairly it's unfair. I'm a little unfairly frustrated at my setup, and I'm I'm there just to mess with people at this point, and t R is outside the door. But I'm like, I gotta get a surprise. And so now they're ready for Thomas Rhett and and I pick up my phone and I go, I got Thomas right on FaceTime. And then that's funny, and they're like and then something they're like, ooh, and I'm like, he's gonna answer some questions on FaceTime for you guys. They're totally confused at this point because they've been led to think, one Thomas Rhet's there, here comes White Arcle. Then second, here comes Thomas rhdd again. Oh but he's on FaceTime. He's not even here, And so.
Speaker 3: You think of that, like right when you.
Speaker 1: I thought of that right whenever. My the emotion for me existing was not a positive.
Speaker 3: That's quick.
Speaker 1: I don't need it to be positive. I just don't want it to be negative. So and I'm like, hey, Tom's Ray. You got a lot of people here. They paid well, they didn't pay anything to come, but they've been listening to music and they'd give it like moderate reviews. And the people in the crowd are like, that's not true, that's not true. And so I turned the phone and I'm like, I'm just kidding. He's not on the phone. Still haven't said he's there. I'm just like, he's not on the phone. So again they think I'm messing with him again, that he's even on FaceTime. At this point, I'm enjoying life again, Like it takes me that long to get back to enjoy what I'm doing. And then I was like, I would never do that. I would never lie. So you guys didn't like it, but I was like some of it was mid though, right, And I know Thomas Red's right out ouside the door, and they're like no, and I'm like, well, that's good because here's Thomas right, And they're like, ah, but I had to get it bad to get my groove back, and that's how I did it by messing with them.
Speaker 3: That works. I felt good, I feel it I wasn't even there.
Speaker 1: Here's the worst one. If you come to Nashville, there's some things that I would recommend as a tourist if you're coming for the music part of this city that you do. The Ryman's always cool. Sometimes you come and you can't. Maybe you don't like the artists playing a full show there, but it's cool to go at least by the Ryman. If you can tour the Rymen, that's pretty cool. Not that it's anything cool to see with your eyes, like you know, Elvis's joxtrap isn't hanging up, but it's church pews and a concert venue that's called the Mother Chuir. Just to have said you've gone through it right. It's not a museum. There's some little stuff that's cool. Go to a show if you can, if it's somebody you like. I would not say go to the Ryman just to go to a show. If it's somebody you don't like. Touring the Opry awesome. Even if you don't go to an Opery show, I would say go to the Opry. The Opry is fantastic, and the bigger stars are usually on weeknights, Tuesday nights, Wednesday nights, whenever the night is because they're not touring, and most artists are touring. They make their money Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights. But even if you do the daytime tour orts the opry, that tour is a plus. Then there's there's a listening room cafe, which is cool if you want to like see a songwriter around a lot of artists that played that. But the Bluebird really cool, really special. And the Bluebird I was introduced to it mostly from Nashville the TV show I didn't live here. I don't know. I think about the freaking Bluebird. I understand now the significance of it. I've played it ten times. But the Bluebird, it's in a strip mall. It is nothing sexy. Whenever you pull up.
Speaker 3: To it, you're almost confused.
Speaker 1: It's like you're getting a check cash. It's like, you know, you get a yeah, it's like five percent, you know whatever. So you're gonna go get you check a few days early and then go over to the Bluebird. But the Bluebird is really cool because, very much like there's other rooms, the Bluebird has more of a legacy. Where like Garth was found basically at the Bluebird. Tracy Lauren. It's like part of his A lot of artists played The Bluebird's impossible to get in because it's so small and why it's it's weird but amazing for an artist. There's two ways you play at one is I think the last time I played it, I had Hunter Hayes play with me, one of the the dude from Sugarland, Larkin Poe, two girls that freaking rock and you sit in a circle looking at each other, and everybody's sitting around you, but they are right on top of you. If they're eating a pancake, you can hear them chew. And the first time you played it's so weird because the people are right on you and you play music. It's really cool, vibes different, really cool, hard to get in. And then sometimes people will bring friends and they'll be like, hey, I brought my friend, Like I think post Alone showed up there right and played at the Bluebird. You never know. They have a stage set up and they will at times do like rounds on the stage. I prefer when they're in the middle. But they also have a small stage where like one person can play the little open mic switch one person goes up, or if there's a couple of people and they just want to do a guitar pool type thing goes around again, surprises show up, and the surprises are at times awesome, like still like you might get a Garth, you might get a post Wall, you might get a Taylor Swift. That's happened in the last few years. There's a great documentary on The Bluebird. I'm in it a lot because I'm lucky enough to have played it a bunch of times and enjoy and I have learned the history of it. It's on Amazon, but it is really good. And so before I went on my last tour, I was working on some new music and I was like, hey, I think it needs to go play a few places. So I called The Bluebird and I was like, Hey, is it cool if I come and just do a couple of songs on the stage night like Wednesday night. They're like, yeah, cool, just let us know when you get to the back door and it's packed. It's always packed. So I get to the back door and they let me in and here the guy go, you guys ready for this, And I'm like, oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Known all around the world. No no, no, no, no no no. In my head, I'm like, please stop, because these people, they for sure there's heavy odds they don't know who I am, or they don't know play music, or they're here to catch some magical surprise guests. They're like, he's heard by millions of people, he has he's won cmas, ACMs, and I'm like, this is the worst build up ever. And he goes give it and they think George Strait's about to walk out. I know they think somebody massive is about to walk out at how the guy has set it up and the environment that they are in, and they're like, here he is, Bobby Bones. I swear to god, I just want to go home. I wanted to walk out the back. I wanted to not show up. I think that had been a better surprise if I didn't come out than if I did.
Speaker 3: I thought you were around to say that maybe somebody else was there in the house all that, and they were about to walk past me and be like, what's up, Bobby, and it's like, no worse.
Speaker 1: I would rather that would have much rather that happened. That had have been much cooler, because then the people would not have been disappointed but when they're building it up like known all over America in the world, and then they go, yeah, want some cmas and ACMs, but it's not the same as like what Christapleton wins, and they're ready for Tennessee whiskey, and all of a sudden, I'm like, my grandma is naked it Oh yeah, true, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But they I'm sure they laughed and enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I won them back eventually, but I was also playing a couple of new songs and one of them was just okay, but I can't ever tell if people are gonna think they're funny until I played them. But I like that, And so they were trying to do me a solid by building me up. That's a very kind thing to do. But I wish what they would have said is, hey, this is really cool Bobby Bones here, it's gonna play some comedy music for you guys. In case you don't know who he is, he's an American idol for four years instead of the other way. Because that it just chops my legs out from under me. I can never get back. I can never get it back. So it was a bit of that last night. But then I got to screw with that crowd and be like, is that FaceTime?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like that works in your favor to have no.
Speaker 1: No, no favor. Well, what if I'd take it back. I would never do that again.
Speaker 3: Like ying's funny though, Man.
Speaker 1: That's survival. So I did that until eight fifteen. Had a playoff softball game at nine last night.
Speaker 3: Oh I went straight from that to the game.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, I know I've never played a nine game, but it was the playoffs, and so it was like the semis of the championship week is next week, and so hall Butt North play change in the parking lot, have like ten minutes. It's big lightning, big lightning. There was a lightning crack that hit so hard I thought it was a gun shot like fifty feet away. I didn't see that, but it was a boom crack.
Speaker 3: They never called the games a cancel because the lightning.
Speaker 1: I want to make the twenty five bucks and we all wanted to play so rock and roll. We ended up losing by one run in the last inning, which sucked. What sucked even worse is I didn't get to bed till like midnight or so last night, which is fine because by the time you go nine to ten, is the game ten to ten, thirty, get home, shower eleven. By the time you really get to sleep, it's eleven forty five or so and so so.
Speaker 3: Now, since that was the playoff and y'all lost, what's next for you and the team?
Speaker 1: I start season two their Wednesday night games instead of Thursday in a couple of weeks, which is much easier. A lot of Thursdays will leave town Earth, Yeah, go.
Speaker 4: To outer space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was the night last night. It was fun though, Like it was fun playing soft ball. My knee all bloody, Like I can't do anything without my knees getting bloody. I dive too much. I'm too much of an adult to be on the ground that much.
Speaker 3: Were you diving because you were running the bases?
Speaker 1: Or you're no, I don't, I don't sleep.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you you dove to catch a ball?
Speaker 1: Yes, because that is very instinctual.
Speaker 3: In that we're what position were you playing?
Speaker 1: I got to play first last night, and it was amazing because I can see freaking eight lights out, lights out. I can play first base as good as anybody scooping on freaking Megan plays backward on the foul line. I can't see in the outfield, so I'm beat b outfielder a plus first baseman, but diving forth because those ball they're just hit quick, and so that's all instinct. I know when I'm running the basis, there's no chance I'm going to slide. I don't care how close it is, not gonna do it. But if a ball's hit, you're just like jump go. Someoneees a bloody took a picture of if it though couldn't do it with that documenting it. It's on my Instagram, my story. But by the time you see this, it won't be up anymore. But uh, yeah, that was that was the last night.
Speaker 3: Okay, because it's Saturday.
Speaker 1: They're hearing this.
Speaker 3: They're hearing it on Saturday.
Speaker 1: The picture won't be up two days later.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm gonna go look right now, don't you can.
Speaker 1: Look right now? But yeah, so season was over. But our little ragtag group of people we did pretty good considering a lot of those guys on that team had not played in a long time. I hadn't played in years on like that kind of league. So and I'm trying to find somebody to like coach me in basketball before I go play Men's I can tell you about that later. Yeah, so I'm here. It's good.
Speaker 3: Sweet till season two.
Speaker 1: Wednesdays, it's gonna be so much better.
Speaker 4: Unless it's at nine o'clock Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I probably won't do those. Okay, this was just a place. You know, you wouldn't probably show up to a late late game unless it was a big one.
Speaker 3: Well also season two, some of the late late.
Speaker 4: Sometimes, Yeah, I go, no matter what.
Speaker 3: Oh is that because of also temperature? Because is it? The weather's gonna get better? So you can play earlier.
Speaker 1: They start at six. Yeah, every game starts the league and there's like three fields there, so everything starts at six. And we just got caught up in that nine game. Try to wake up earlier than you.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, you get up earlier. You worry about things more than me. I'm like, yeah, I'll just take a nap the next day. You You're like, I got all these dots me. I'm like, I got at appointment with the.
Speaker 1: Nap dot dot free. Okay, let's take a break. Come back. Glad you guys are here, if you're here on the podcast, if you like this, if you're able to even listen to this on the weekend. Put a little put a little flower up there, lo emoji on whatever my last post is, I will see that and I will in my heart go thank you. Okay, take a break in my head right now, and I'll do this at times just to try to, I guess, gather my brain strength back. You know the song burning down the House, cool babyl watch y'all thinking I know who the artist is. I cannot think of it. It has been on the old tip of the old tongue for an hour, and I feel and I'll do this at times that we mentioned on the show before, where it's like I could look it up very easily, look it up, don't tell me. But in my head it's like something about Staircase, like I know it Staircase Flaming. But then I think it's it's a British group. It's like a funny name like a I'll get to it, but I'm not gonna look it up. I may come back Monday still not knowing because I will not look it up. Cool baby. No, I don't want to have the whole point of this is I wan't to hear anything about it. I don't even think about it. Don't say anything. I don't even know what you did. I don't want to hit because I'm trying to figure it out. I'm digging in my brain. I know it's in the recesses of it's deep in the well. Lassie, go to the well, save the band, pull them out of there. It's not neon. Okay, I'm gonna get back to it. Carrie is doing Idol. She's taking Katie Paris spot Carrie Underwood. Good for her. She was obviously on Idol and the and she's always been someone too. Even when I was on the show for a bunch of years, she would always come back and do stuff. She wasn't someone who like avoided it. Some of those artists they went to a phase Boom idol Boom, did not want to be known as the Idol person because they were like, I built my own career. Then they would go back and do some idol stuff. If they were promoting a project, then they would just be like, I'm embracing idol. Now you get to go back and be a judge and make I don't know if she's doing twenty million or not, but good for her, and she'll be really good at it. Carrie's one of those artists. I like Carrie a lot, but if you see her in real life, which I do at times, and she's on camera, it's two different people. Extremely shy and quiet when she's doing human Carrie.
Speaker 3: And then when she needs to she's performing awesome as a performer, even when.
Speaker 1: She would do the awards or she if she's you know, on stage, Yeah, she's excellent on camera. So really kind I afford. I think that'll be fun. That show just keeps on going, man, Luke just keeps cash those checks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder how many more years it has.
Speaker 1: So when it went to ABC, I was on one, two, three, and four, Like I never did the Fox version. It's when they did ABC that I started over there. And even my second season when they signed me to a full time deal, well they were like, we don't know if the show's coming back for the second season, but if so, we want to hire you full time. Because the first season I did like four episodes sporadically. Second season I was there every episode, but even then they were like, I don't know if it's going to come back, And then season three they were like, I don't know, it's fifty to fifty season four, we have to make sure the judges signed. We don't know if I can. It's like season seven or something. Now, as long as the show makes money, that's all that matters. And Carrie's going over that's really cool. It's not a hard job. It's just a very time consuming job, meaning you have to go, especially if you're not in La where like Lionel and Katie had it a bit easier because they just drive down the road. But especially when I was on it, because I would have to be there every anytime Luke was there, I was there. I wasn't on a camera as much, but I would have to go and be there. And so but I'm leaving here, Yes, I'd be gone forever. So we had to fly to Los Angeles. That's probably where Luke and I got to know each other the best. It wasn't even being on set of just traveling to get We'd just be on a plane. And I've always liked Luca and we've known Luke, and I've known Luke professionally, but I think just traveling so much back and forth, I think that's probably where we forged our relationship. And also Luke was the one that was on time always. I was always on time, but I had to because I was low Man, that total Paul low Man. Ryan always on time, but Ryan wasn't always there. Ryan, he would strategically be able to shoot a lot of his stuff at the same time, where the judges had to be there for everybody, but Ryan's doing like talking to specific people outside, especially if we're not hosting the live show, like sixty percent of the show is, they're in cities, they're doing Hollywood Week, and so Ryan could strategically have when he was there and knock it all out. Never late, expert, best prompter reader I have ever seen, like the Tom Brady, Michael Jordan of being a host. He would run fifty screens, never have to do a second one. It was awesome to watch Ryan never late. I could not be late because I'm low man on the totem pole. Luke never late. Sometimes it be a battle between Katie and Lionel, and I love Lionel. Lionel was the nicest, like sweetest human versus the most famous like he did. I don't want to say didn't have to be because that's just weird to say, but he could have been the biggest diva in the whole world, and he was amazing. I loved I love Lionel so much. My theory is Kaye would be so late. Line would be like, screw this, just out later. Sometimes they would be hours late, hours hours, And there were times where I'm like, can we just start my shooting because I didn't need to be in there with them, because what I would be doing if they were like wavering on what song to sing, or if I'm doing like a personal piece, like getting to know them, right, because I was utility guy in every sense, which was very apparent when Ryan got sick the one time he's ever missed I hope. But I also had done a lot of other things on that show, and the people just want to show up, and I'll be like, can I don't even need them, Like, I know you have the seven people you need me to talk to. Can I do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, there would be But and that Hollywood's weird in that it's weird anyway. The people there are weird. It's a different culture if I'm comparing it to the Nashville culture that we're in, where people are famous whatever that means in Nashville. If you have a massive entourage. You fake it like you don't, meaning you gotta be like normal even though you're not, even though you have fourteen people that travel with you. If it's security, if it's your all your boys, all your girls, your stylist, you fake it like you don't. You gotta be like super relatable because I'm Nashville, even though you don't in La. If you can't even afford it, you fake it like you have it, and you take everybody with you, and you try to present yourself as a bigger deal. And what I I did not know in the early days, when I was just hustling to get anybody to put me on TV, they would be like, Hey, we're having a meeting on this lot with this executive two o'clock and my agent's in La at the TI. I'd be like, you mean to go, I'm good. I don't need I wasn't doing it to be like. I just didn't want them to drop across town. It sucks, So I just go buy myself backpack show up and they'd always be like, where is there? Your team not coming? I'm like, no, they're good. I figured we're just going to talk. But what I found out later was they found that so refreshing because nobody did that. It wasn't strategy on my part. It's just how I would do things. Wanted it to be super efficient, don't want them to be late to make me look bad, don't want to put them out because we're probably just gonna do level surface stuff anyway. But I think it got me a couple jobs to where I would just show up with a backpack and be like, hey, everybody looks goalie g and it really wasn't the move. But then I kind of later understood that that was the move at times that it helped because everybody shows up with an agent, a second agent, a manager, an assistant. Because in that culture, even if you don't have it, you want to present yourself like you're big and you're something and you're popping. You happen it opposite here because if you are like Luke, Bryan will just show it by himself. And I know Luke I use it because he just came do But Luke has forty two people that want to make sure that he's getting places on time. They want to make sure that he's doing his job right. It's not that he demands a be around him. It's just like there's a lot of people because Luke is the CEO of a major company and that companies him.
Speaker 3: I feel like the last time he was here, he's throw like his team was like scrambling, like trying to find him, and he is already here, just like by himself.
Speaker 1: That's a bad example because we know him. But yes, but that's the difference in the two. It is a bizarre world. And I get carsick every time I'm in Los Angeles because all you do is sit in traffic all the time. And nobody's on time in Los Angeles ever, And it's not because except for you and Luke well To, our shoot would always be I'd be way early because they knew how bad traffic would be. And Scooba, I think you could probably lend a bit to this conversation. Not anybody's asked for me to talk about it, But in Los Angeles, nobody's on time. But I don't think it's because everybody's like I don't value anyone's time. Traffic can be forty minutes or an hour twenty and you have no idea.
Speaker 6: You don't know you could be you could think that you're it's gonna be forty minutes, and then you're sitting in it and all of a sudden, a wrec happens, or there's construction at the worst time possible, or there's a police chase and so everyone has to stop. It's just all these unknown variables. So yeah, But also the part that would bother me when I worked in LA because people were always late and I was earlier, like you. When they would come in late, it was never like hey, I'm sorry, I'm late. They just walking with sunglasses like I'm here, and I'm like, yeah, oh.
Speaker 1: There's a need to like present yourself as big, bigger than you are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're lucky that I'm here, and I'm like, oh, okay, cool.
Speaker 1: When I did Dancing with Stars and trust me, they used the word star loosely, especially with me, even I was like, well, okay, this is this is fun. Like a lot of the folks there felt the need to like present themselves with big groups for all the time. I remember thinking, man, one that much mc hammer, that's how I went broke. And then two. I mean I had like one person and it was Mike d who was living with me in a shared apartment and halftime, he wouldn't go because I was like, dude at work good. Yeah, So yeah, that that environment. But that's a lot of travel for somebody like carried. But it's worth it because she's making a ton of money. But I just was always jealous that they lived there and got to drive down the road and we had to fly there, get there the day before, stay in a hotel to be prepared to go. So it makes she move in La maybe Nah, you know what, there's only no and there's only like you go for like three weeks in the summer and because you go to the cities, you bounce around cities and then you do like extreme because these crews want to shoot it all in a block so they don't have to pay for crews in space for a lot of time. So they're not doing like eight shoots over nine weeks. They're trying to do as few shoots as possible for as long as they possibly can, but to get it all over with so they can get in production and then they're not paying for more space.
Speaker 4: That makes sense, but.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of time, but the work's pretty easy. Just I'm like, yeah, you suck, Nope, you're good. But the judges did get to have their own opinions. Like I never saw and I was in there. I never saw a producer sway any of them. I would see a producer be disappointed in them and afterward telling them like, man, I was really rooting for them, And I would be like, man, if I was a producer, I'd like nudge one of them, if somebody was really good. But they honest to God. From everything that I saw and I was in the middle of it, I never saw a producer, an executive producer, anybody go to one of them and go, we really want the person to get through. Let's push them through, not once. And I would have been telling them that all the time. Yeah, because I just want to want to get TV. But there are also legal rules to these shows. When I did Dancing with the Stars, they couldn't tell me how I was doing. They just tell you if you survive. There was a lawsuit back there's a game show. It's like the six thousand dollars Question, whatever it's called. They found they were cheating, so then they had to create laws where you can give nobody advantages whenever you're competing for money on a game show. If it's on public airwaves type thing. So they never told me. I thought I was. I never got put in the bottom three. Ever. On Dancing with the Stars, I was like, this is crazy, like I was there to win, but also it wasn't a very good dancer. But I never got put in the bottom three. And then after it was way over months and months. One of the executives when on my last season of vital he was like, we've never seen anything like that. I was like, in what way he goes, I'm gonna say dump, but you know the word he said. He said, you could have went out on your final lance, taken a dump on the floor and won, because that's how fan vote. You were above everybody else on this show. And I was like, well, but if I were taking a dump on the floor, that's probably legal.
Speaker 3: If I get this qualified, yeah, it might get some weird too.
Speaker 1: You know that would have been weird. What is he doing?
Speaker 3: Where do they take all the celebrities there? We'd have to roll you down to Cedars sign I don't you need a fifty fifty camera?
Speaker 4: That is where they go.
Speaker 1: I ordered some Uber eights this morning and had it sent here, had a little tea and a little box of like boiled eggs whatever, And I did the stupid thing where I sent it in my house. You guys ever do that order uber eates or door to ash and you send it here somewhere else and you send it somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, I was trying to get stuff delivered to the house the other day and I sent it to my daughter's old school.
Speaker 1: So for old school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know until they sent They they said that they send you a picture confirmation that's been dropped off. And I'm like, what the that's the lobby of because I guess I had had something delivered the last time I had used that app or for whatever reason, that's the address that hold up. And so then I had to get in the car, drive to the school, find the bag to get it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've had work before, and they send the picture ab outside the building like order today. If I don't remember to change it back to my home address, they're going to send it back up here. Well school wasn't that far but okay, well I'm not driving to work. I just left the back.
Speaker 3: Okay, if it was work, I wouldn't There's no way that wouldn't be worth it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, my bag of like sadies, my chicken kebabs. They just sat at the front door. It's like a Friday.
Speaker 4: Who knows who raccoon got it?
Speaker 1: God, I feel so stupid when I do that. Let's see here. I have have weird bites all over my body. I have like three or three. I have one here? Can you see that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I set a picture.
Speaker 3: Look like I say to my doctor, nudes was a mosquito.
Speaker 1: I was like, do I have shingles? Because I've had shingles before and they were like here on my ribs And He's like, they look like chiggers. Where have I been where I would get suggar? Mm hmm, Yeah, that actually might be the I dive a lot.
Speaker 4: That's where you got it?
Speaker 1: Wow, because I look, it's all through here. How did you know that so quick? You get chickens playing soccer? No, but that's exactly what it is. I my mind never got there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was blaming my wife for a hike she took me on. I was like, I wouldn't have this week on this hike. Don't tell her it's sofall I like, definitely hiking. It's but It is definitely softball, because what if I'm diving, I'm diving this way and I'm landing exactly right here. They don't give you the credit you deserve right here.
Speaker 4: Man, I know I told you. Guys almost want to give you the No.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's easy. That's crazy. Okay. A couple more things I've had on the lest talk about for a couple of days. RAYMONDA wants to know Bones to take on all these podcast that are now launching. Sometimes I make a note, I don't know I wrote it down. Raymundo wants to know Bones's take on all these podcasts like my network podcast Talk to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess the long explanation or I give you a short exce long one. So the long one is Facebook started where it was just college kids. Then it grew to our parents and our grandparents. I'm curious how you see podcasts going, because now I see Hawk two as she's going to start a podcast. Morgan just launched a podcast. Are our parents and grandparents going to start podcasts? Or do you do you think this is where we're going with podcasts? Are we at the point where there's too many podcasts?
Speaker 1: The beauty of podcasts as anybody can do one. The difficult thing about podcast is everybody has one and both can exist. But it's like anything else, like the cream will rise. But we are in such a nuanced media world, a fractured fame world where even famous people aren't as famous as they used to be, and there are more famous people because you get famous for specific areas that you're qualified or known for. There could be somebody in wellness or a podcaster. Sometimes they may be like, did you hear Frank Willich He said, if you take three deep breaths in the sun shines right in your bot hole, you're gonna have a great And it's like, I don't know, Frank Willis is.
Speaker 4: Oh Amy brings a lot of those quotes to.
Speaker 3: Us, But then he'll have like one point five to two million followers.
Speaker 1: Right, he's that guy, right, And that's not a real person. That guy's famous to a group of folks because of what he provides. Niche nuanced even at times could be slightly different than someone that something that already exists, but that is generally what fame is now. Podcasting is just a symptom of it, something with TikTok followers. But you're also seeing micro influencers do pretty well who don't have a million followers, but micro influenced things like a Pin. He's the best pen and they may have a thousand followers, but the pen people really want people to go to her to talk about pins because they know a thousand followers of pins, they're gonna do what she says. So I think, and I tell people this all the time. I have to go speak in San Diego next week about this. It's the more niche you can be with your podcast where you feel like, man, I don't know if anybody's gonna listen to this, it's so specific. The more niche you are, the more chance you have of actually having success.
Speaker 4: We're going to San Diego.
Speaker 1: We are not. Oh so, if you were like going to a podcast on The Simpsons in nineteen ninety six, that podcast would probably do better than somebody going on I'm gonna do an interview podcast unless you were able to land massive guests, and that is not sustainable unless you are massively famous.
Speaker 3: So consistency too, right.
Speaker 1: That is, if you have something good, that is how to make sure that it gets to people. But if you're consistently bad. No, I just mean, but you have to do it consistently in order to if you have something good, to have a chance to succeed, you have to be consistent. But first of all, you have to have something that some people are gonna want to find, like people on radio now, because even what is radio right and to me, it's just anything that comes out of your phone. But there'll be other like morning shows that are in certain individual cities, which we did forever and they were like, how do I like pop? And I'm like, well, keep using what you're doing now, Like you have to do well on your own show first and foremost, like you got to protect the baby, but do a podcast that is extremely niche and something that you love extremely niched, and then use your platform to promote that. But if you're just like I'm going to do a podcast on pop music, no one's gonna come to you for that because there are people that are famous or have better credentials than you in that. So the more niche you can get, the better, unless you're really famous, and that is your niche because people come to it for you, which is difficult to tell somebody who's not that famous. So Ray, the answer is, I love it because it gives everybody a shot. It's what's really cool about it podcasts is it's a true democracy. Everybody gets a shot. You think you got something, give it a run. Everybody has a podcast, and I think I was reading a stat that like ninety one percent of podcast that exists don't really exist anymore because most people do it for a few weeks quit because again it's they're not consistent. It's almost impossible to build something and it takes forever to get that little oh oh, we have something, takes forever months and so a lot of people don't have the patience to do that. So you're exact, Yeah, you're right, there's no consistency. They don't continue to do it. But yeah, I hope everybody does. I wish everybody in the world had a podcast. Everybody in the world, everybody in the world had a podcast. It would make mine more valuable because there'd be that many more that are trying. You can't do it, and I say mine, it could be anybody who has. It's a strong one. So yes, more podcasts the better. Nobody's forcing people to listen to them. And I think Ray what would you do one if you got to do one and you had to do it every week. Definitely supports betting betting, like even I know you guys do sore losers, but I'm saying if it was just you.
Speaker 2: It would be just betting.
Speaker 1: It would be the mistakes I used to have.
Speaker 2: I'd go in depth on gambling, how I overcame it, how I made it fun stuff like, but it would be really in depth on gambling.
Speaker 1: So and what I would say to Ray is if you do the real personal stuff, that's gonna work for you, because no one's gonna come to you to hear just sports betting because they're like real experts exactly. But if it's like heavy Ray fluenced, where it's like I suck. This are the mess ups I made, and he brings on other people that are in that theme and then also talks about you can also talk about sports betting, but your expertise has to be in what you're an expert in, which is losing.
Speaker 2: But I was also thinking you kind of in a way, do you do you look down at podcasters because you've been the king of radio for thirty years and now people are just talking on a mic in their bed, and do you think they can do what you do the opposite?
Speaker 1: They forever? I mean, but you have to think we have been podcasting this show since way before podcasting was normal, So we have an advantage in the podcasting world because it was so important to me. I was extremely lucky in that. Just like if you've read Outliers Malcolm Gladwell, Malcolm Gladwell, he would write like Bill Gates, he was born where there was a computer, he lived where there was a computer, or he wouldn't have been able to Bill Gates like in his talent. I was like one of the only computers for hundreds of miles. Had that one computer not been where he was, he would not have been able to be the Bill Gates that we know. So there are factors that happen in our lives that it's very fortunate, not to say it wouldn't have found one somewhere else where. I was fortunate was I was very young. So as I was nineteen twenty us twenty three, twenty four doing a big morning show, I was podcasting. I was already ahead of the gen pop digitally because I enjoyed that. But then I was like, we need to be doing this with our show. So we shtart ed podcasting immediately when nobody was podcasting, but we had built up that audience and built up that feed forever. No, And I think at times I've been scrutinized by any for caring a little too much about it for years and now it's finally coming around where it's like we'll leave you alone, you know. No. No, I think if you can pull off a great podcast like that's that's. It's hard to get a good job in radio, especially now, it's hard to get a podcast to catch on. Both are very hard, but.
Speaker 2: I think podcasts a huge because I commute now. Yeah, I mean, I don't think it's ever going away.
Speaker 1: No, it's never. No, No, that's radio. That's the new normal radio to me, as anything comes from your phone. Period. Sometimes I'll meet with a client and they're just fixated on podcasting, which I'm like, great, love it. I got like nineteen of them, and I'll call this show a live podcast when we do it live, just to if they're like, yeah, we really love being on the podcast space. Oh that's great. You should hear our live podcasts. We do it every morning, and then it goes up digitally. It's all the same. So, but it's live. I act like it not what we're recording a live one. I'm like, we're doing a live podcast that everyone can listen into live and call in. No podcasting is awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, so just a little note to encourage anybody listening that might be thinking, like, Oh, I have this topic, I'm passion about it. I'd like to start a podcast, and I don't know who will be listening. It may not even be that you're so focused on, you know, downloads or success or you're trying to be this like crazy huge podcaster. It might just mean that you have some experience you want to share and even if one person hears it. Because there was a mom that was an adoptive mom and she put up a podcast that she was recording at her house. I'm sure she's self published it, produced it, you know, wasn't it wasn't a huge podcast. I found it by just putting some keywords into the search bar of stuff that I was going through with our adoption, and she had on this other mom. I don't even remember the name of the podcast. I've got to go find it. And I keep saying that anytime I think of this story, and I need to do it because I would like to write her a thank you note because she had this other mom on and those two moms sitting down her house sharing their experience on their podcast where they who knows who's listening, Well I was. I found it, and it put me on a trajectory me and our family of some stuff we needed to work through and healing. And it was because they decided to sit down and record and you know their niche like, they talked about something that was passionate to them. They shared their personal experience. And it's not like they're professional podcasters, because I mean I could I could just tell they were just passionate about sharing their story. And I would say, I don't say this, Yeah, I'm not going I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say lightly like it changed the course of some stuff that was going on in our family, like big time, like changed our lives.
Speaker 1: My favorite part of that story, and I'm glad you shared it, was that here's a podcast that not a lot of people subscribe to, but it's great, and you still didn't know the name to share it so people could hear it and subscribe.
Speaker 3: I know, you know, because this is what what happened to you? Great that I don't even know if she may still be doing it because this was a few years ago, but it it was just such a crazy time that that's why I don't even My brain had so many other things going on that I'm like, shoot, how it was almost like divine that I found it, Like, I don't even know. I know that there's certain times I've tried to find.
Speaker 1: It, such for words Amy were just use in a search.
Speaker 3: Bar, Well, no, I would be very keywords that are personal to my family, so I'm not going to say them. But I just you know, yeah, I didn't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe these women were George straight, Haiti, adoption, iced coffee, meditation.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, make sure Ray, thank you for that question, So create your podcast. I have two other things I'm going to talk about Amy. One more thing that you sent a couple of days ago. I just want to make sure that you have it pulled up if I'm going to go to it. Something about five boundaries just set with your boss. So I want to get to that in a second. And then I do want to play do you have this voicemail? Ray? From Brett. Oh, I know I didn't do it on the show. Okay from Fort Worth, Texas because to do a death all right, go ahead, good morning studio. This question goes out to Lunchbox. All was worrying if I can get his input on the death of twenty seven year old Bottom Critinton.
Speaker 6: She was featured in the sixteen and Pregnant series, and.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if we could get his input on that story. Thank you for taking my golf.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was I don't even know who she was, so she was like a weird Yeah, she wasn't like a big main person, Like I don't even I mean, I never I don't even recognize the name.
Speaker 4: When they announced her death.
Speaker 1: They headlined it different because I thought you had note that they.
Speaker 5: Said teen Mom star and I'm like, I don't remember her being on the show unless she was like on some random show. And then they tried to turn her into teen Mom because Teen Moms started leaving and they started bringing girls from different shows to be on Teen Mom.
Speaker 4: That's when it kind of jumped the shark.
Speaker 1: So you don't know much about her.
Speaker 4: Didn't know much about her, but may she rest in peace?
Speaker 1: Any give me give me your story.
Speaker 3: Okay. So I came across this post about five boundaries to set with your boss, and when I read them, I was like, oh, I can.
Speaker 1: See trying to set through with me. No, let's see how many.
Speaker 3: Definitely not okay, I don't work weekends.
Speaker 1: I guess just anything universally stated is a bit. It's a great point, man, it is a great point. That's funny. Anything universally stated to me, if you're saying this is the only rigidity to me, is a turn off with people. I definitely have boundaries that people can have and respect them, but rigidity just for the sake of it, I'm not gonna like any of these because of that. But okay, I get it. You don't work weekends. It's probably that's cool. We don't work.
Speaker 3: We don't work weekends. I don't travel for work.
Speaker 1: And I'm supposed to hire you when you say this because the work the job may not have travel. But if you come in and go, hey, I don't I'm not traveling. What the Okay? Well it wasn't on there, but now I don't like you.
Speaker 3: I don't want my identity used like on the website or social media.
Speaker 1: Okay, kind of job is it there?
Speaker 4: I mean, let's say you work in an office. Is that a big deal?
Speaker 1: I don't even think it really probably needs to be up.
Speaker 3: One of the examples in the post that I saw was like I don't know a boss, like they were an email when now and like this was an example and it was like, hey, everybody record like a selfie of you know, your favorite thing about working? Say it.
Speaker 1: Then wouldn't you just be like, oh, I'm not comfortable with putting my money.
Speaker 4: I'd prefer to be on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do not, especially if it's like the early part of the job. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: I do not answer my phone after hours.
Speaker 1: See the problem with this is every once in a while there needs to be a phone call that needs to be answered after hours. Not not much.
Speaker 3: Well, have you have you ever set a boundary with work? Any kind the boundaries that I'll know I'll not get naked.
Speaker 1: No, I've been naked at work. That dude painted me. It was weirdest thinking, like painting me on a canvas. I was button naked. He was stared at my starting wiener forever and then painting a leaf over it. Then I was like, why are you starting up my wiener if you're paying a leaf over it, like, don't look at my wiener, just paint the leaf. That's I remember thinking that because I lost the will and had to be staying naked, I remember that there's a terrible bad The only boundaries now that I will have our wife related where it is if we are on a trip or we're doing something, I will not make a call or do emails for the most part. But even then, even she knows this is a big part of my life in that they don't pay me and us a lot of money to have a whole bunch of boundaries if something goes wrong or they need us, you know, It's like part of the deal is if you have a job that has big responsibilities, sometimes you have to bend your boundaries. But yeah, if I'm with my wife I and we've I'll do it on the toilet. Luckily for me, I have IBS, so I can get a lot accomplished there. But I won't do it if we're there but a few but more than I've ever had before, just for her. Otherwise I go, I'll be dead by now, almost died a couple of times. I'm dead, right, now inside, I'm like, wait, almost died three times. So there have been little boundaries that we have, boundaries, not the word guidelines that we try to abide by. But I'm different, different animal. But if somebody said that to me in a job interview, if I'm interview Abbey and she's like, oh man, and I'm like, man, your resume is awesome. I just interviewed like seven people for a job up here and Morgan did not Morgan here, Morgan won. We put it on. We put it. We put it on that iheart's side. Where else we put it Scuba the job where we put that on Zip we put on ZipRecruiter. So we had like hundreds of people applying. Morgan went through the hundreds and talked to all them. But when I got the seven that I met with, I was like, hey, your resume is already good. You wouldn't be here if you didn't have all the qualifications and your piece of paper didn't check out. So now I just want to like get to know and see if I like you. And if they were like a plus resume and it was like I don't travel, I don't.
Speaker 3: Oh that would work.
Speaker 1: I don't hire you you'd be like, okay, yeah, because you can have those, that's fine, Like, hey, I really can't travel a whole lot kids, for sure, got it. Any of the other boundaries that really irritate me.
Speaker 3: There's one final one I don't It's a I will not enforce your policies. If you don't have my back.
Speaker 1: I will not hire you.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, I don't know. That one seems weird, but it's like you expect, like, okay, have my back and then yeah, I'll do that. But yeah, I mean, good luck with that.
Speaker 1: If yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: Those are some boundaries you need to set. But I mean, I just think it's an interesting thing for a lot of people to think about for their own selves and their own mental health and their own, you know, families, Like, Yes, there might be some boundaries you need to set because I think with technology and the way the world is right now, it can be easy to do some form of work seven days away, and you might need to set a boundary with yourself of like hey, you know, if it can wait, then you're not going to look at your email or touch your computer or whatever on Sunday or Saturday. Like pick a day where you don't engage with work at all whatsoever. If you have that flexibility or that you can do that. I'm saying for your if you've got a family, like there's just something to think about.
Speaker 1: I think in your twenties you should work until you freaking pop. You should work until you pop in your twenties. Once you get to your thirties, you got to start to make some decisions because your life is about unless you like, knock somebody up. But your twenties is when you go hard as you possibly can. And then your thirties you have to start making some decisions. But the rigidity of I'm not gonna look at my phone. Maybe you have a job that allows that. This job would never allow that, but don't think everybody knows that getting into it. And also the balance thing is weird because if balance is work, it's hard to have balance like it, and they're sacrifice with balance or sacrifice with not having balance. There's always sacrifice if you want to have a great quality of the life you're searching for. If you want hardcore balance, great personal life, family, job, that is hard work to get that balance. But you're not gonna have a plus A plus on both sides. You're not gonna have a plus family and a plus job. That's not the balance. The balance is going to be like be minus, be minus, and that's gonna be what it is. But you can't get mad you don't have a plus job if you're wanting a ton of family time for balance, and the opposite, if you want the opposite, you can't get mad if you have a plus family and you're like, man, my job, I spend so much time my family. I love it. I wish my job was better, or I wish my family life is better, even though my job all the time. It is hard work to decide where your balance lies, and all of it is hard if you want to achieve balance, that's so that's the hard work, very hard work, just like having do working all the time. It's hard work. So there's this new you know, I want to make sure my mental health and that's awesome and I love it. But you're not going to be wildly successful in your career. You're not gonna have a lot of balance and also be wildly successful in your career. But that's not important to everybody, and to me, it's at times when it's like I want to have a lot of balance and be really really successful. The most successful people do not have much balance. So you can't have both. You can have a plus a plus on both sides.
Speaker 3: Shonda rhymes. So she has a commencement speech from this is from a long time ago, but I'm paraphrasing her talking about being a successful career woman and the mom and you know, how do you do it? Shonda? And she's like, well, if I'm succeeding in one area, She's like, I'm failing in another. If I am at you know, my daughter's dance recital, i am missing. Sandra O's final scene of Gray's Anatomy always sad. If I'm you know, doing this great career thing over here, I'm not at home trick or treating with my kids, you know, or the opposite or yeah, vice, but you have to look at it's like it's yeah, there's not this like, oh, I'm winning in all areas at this exact moment. It's like, yeah, well, when I'm at work right here for this situation, this final scene, this shot, I'm gonna kill it here. But my kids are like, wait, where's mom. But then she's gonna make sure that she shows up to the kid things that she needs to do, but then work will be like dang, wish Seanna was here.
Speaker 1: Kind of like Madden points you only have so many Yeah, so you can use seven and three, five and five, eight and two, but if you use an eight on one side, can't get pissed. It's the two sides's not doing it very well. And so to me, it's at times with people, especially when I'm hiring or they're a worker or staff members, that are like, I just need way more time for myself, Okay, And that's awesome, and I love that for you. You need to prioritize your mental health and do what you long term is right for you. But I need somebody that can do this other thing, and sometimes it can't be the same person. FI ground repeat, I say.
Speaker 3: And then take a fight ground repeat. But like Carvell, a little time on Saturday or Sunday or Tuesday, run yourself in the are my friend, that's a.
Speaker 1: Real healthier to run yourself on the ground.
Speaker 3: She because my friend, she and being a realtor, she has to work weekends, you know, so she tries to carve out time. She's trying to hold herself accountable. For what she calls her own little wellness Wednesday, where she'll try to carve out some hours on Wednesday where she's not that's doing emails and contracts and looking at houses and doing whatever. Because as a realtor, you know you can be getting calls from your clients at all times. So for her it's important on that Wednesday that she has those hours blocked off.
Speaker 1: And I kid when I say run yourself into the ground. I have ran myself on the ground a few times and I wouldn't have the success without it. But I have deficiency in other parts of my life because of that, because of how I chose. Like my wife and I we set aside a night every week for like four hours where it's just us, right, we do something doesn't anything big. But it's also a bit fluid to where if something big comes up, like she sometimes understands and like I get a call, Hey, come work out with some team, She's like, oh, that's a big one our anniversary. I was with Steve Young and I was like, oh boy, and she was like, no, that's big, Like we'll do it. So there's some fluidity. It's pretty rigid, but there's fluidity if it matters, and that's all. I'm done talking anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna set up boundary right now. We're done.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: Set a boundary I'm done.
Speaker 1: It makes me keep going. I'll show you all right special Saturday show. Thank you very much. We will see you guys on Monday. By everybody,