Speaker 1: Hello, Billy, what are you up to?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Really, you're practicing for a spelling test. But school hasn't even started yet. I see you want to be extra prepared for the first day of school tomorrow. Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today, the Lingo Kids' friends are preparing for the first day of school. Lingo Kids listeners, how do you feel about the first day of school? Excited, nervous both. Let's check in with Cawie, Lisa, Elliott, and Billy and see how they're feeling about that big day.
Speaker 1: Hi Callie, Hi Lisa.
Speaker 2: Are you so for the first day of school? Yes? Me too.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to skip skip.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Last year everyone else in pe class could skip except me.
Speaker 2: I kept tripping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't remember that you were more of a tripper.
Speaker 4: Than a skipper, but I practiced skipping all summer and look, Elliott, you're a super skipper.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I have an idea.
Speaker 6: We should all skip to school on our first day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should go.
Speaker 6: Tell Billy to plan. Let's skip.
Speaker 1: Hi, Billy, do you.
Speaker 2: Want to skip to school with us?
Speaker 1: Billy says, no.
Speaker 2: No, dans.
Speaker 7: What's wrong, Billy?
Speaker 2: Do you like the skip?
Speaker 3: Billy says he does like to skip, but he's just not that excited about the first day of school. He's not feeling very skippy.
Speaker 1: But the first day is.
Speaker 5: The most exciting day. There are new teachers and new classes and new books.
Speaker 1: Everything's new.
Speaker 3: You're right, Lisa, there are a lot of new things to look forward to on the first day of school. It's normal to feel excited, and for some kids, it's also normal to feel a little nervous or worried.
Speaker 5: But Billy can't be worried. Billy is really really good at school. I mean he can even add two digit.
Speaker 1: Numbers together in his head.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 1: Imagine what he has to worry about.
Speaker 7: Hmmm, maybe we should ask him.
Speaker 1: Good idea, Ellie.
Speaker 7: Billy, are you feeling worried about school?
Speaker 3: Billy says he is feeling a little worried. He's worried about spelling.
Speaker 2: What spelling you mean, like spelling words? Yes.
Speaker 3: Billy says that this year he heard there will be spelling tests.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: I see, sometimes Billy mixes up his letters, so he's worried he will get it all wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't even know all my letters? How why smells?
Speaker 7: Then come out, Billy, I can help you.
Speaker 2: It's spelling. It's easy.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it. Billy says.
Speaker 3: He is also worried his new teacher won't let him bring his calculator.
Speaker 2: What's a cookie?
Speaker 7: Later? I'd love later?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 7: Now, it's fine too.
Speaker 3: Oh. A calculator is not a cookie. It's a tool you can sometimes use at school to help with tough mouth problems.
Speaker 2: Math problems. That sounds hard, But Billy, you are.
Speaker 1: Really good at math, I see.
Speaker 3: Billy says he's also feeling a little sad because one of his friends is in a different classroom this year.
Speaker 7: I don't even know who will be in my class.
Speaker 2: Now I'm feeling worried.
Speaker 7: It's okay, Cowie.
Speaker 5: Everyone stop worrying. Let's just all be excited. Come on, we can practice at skimming, Lisa.
Speaker 3: It's okay to feel worried and nervous and excited, sometimes all at the same time.
Speaker 5: But I want everyone to only feel happy and excited.
Speaker 2: Just like me.
Speaker 4: Maybe nobody feels exactly the same way.
Speaker 3: That's very true, Elliott, and that's why It's so great to share feelings with friends.
Speaker 1: Then they know how you're feeling.
Speaker 7: I like sharing me too.
Speaker 5: Hmm, Okay, I have an idea. Let's all share something we are really excited about.
Speaker 7: Or nervous about.
Speaker 1: Great idea. Lingo Kids listeners, you can join too.
Speaker 3: What is one thing you are really excited about for the first day of school? Is there anything you feel nervous about? You can even pause the podcast to write down or draw how you're feeling.
Speaker 1: Wow. Great sharing.
Speaker 3: The Lingo Kids listeners are full of feelings about the first day of school.
Speaker 1: What about you, Kelly.
Speaker 7: I am excited to meet my new teacher.
Speaker 1: That is exciting, Cawie.
Speaker 6: I'm also worried my shoelaces will get untied. I haven't learned how tied him by myself yet.
Speaker 3: Billy says shoelaces are hard, but he has a trick he can teach you.
Speaker 7: Really, Thanks Billy.
Speaker 5: I'd feeling super excited about everything. No except except what except waking up early?
Speaker 2: School starts way too early.
Speaker 7: I agree, I need my beauty sleep.
Speaker 3: Billy says he likes to wake up early, but he is still worried about the spelling tests.
Speaker 1: He's never done a spelling test before.
Speaker 7: Billy, I bet you'll learn how you're good.
Speaker 2: At learning stuff. That's true.
Speaker 5: You learned how to build that cool model airplane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how the tie shoots.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. School is the perfect place to learn new things. In fact, that's kind of what it's for. If you knew how to do everything already, school would be very boring.
Speaker 2: I never thought of that.
Speaker 3: Billy says that sharing his worries actually made him feel a little less worried and a little more like skipping hy.
Speaker 7: Just fool me, Billy, I'll show you how.
Speaker 3: Well Lingo Kids listeners today we learned that it's okay to have different feelings about the first day of school, and that sharing those feelings can actually feel great. Tell us how you're feeling by sending us a drawing or a note to podcast at Lingo kids dot com.
Speaker 1: We'll try to include it in our next episodes.
Speaker 3: Join us next time to continue play learning together.
Speaker 1: Cowie, are you okay? It's my shoelace skin. Thanks Billy, Let's do this thing