Speaker 1: The government comes down hard on Amazon once again, this time for making prime memberships hard to cancel. Rivian adopts Tesla's charging network. Is Google's tablet any good? Plus your tech questions answered? Well, what's going on? I'm Rich dmiro and this is rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it's the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be easy, tech should be helpful, and that tech can be while worthy. Phone lines are now open at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Leader can send it to hello at Richontech dot TV. Welcome to show number twenty five. We got the whole team in place. We got Kim on phones, we got Bobo on the board, and we've got Ai breathing down our backs, just watching what we do so we can take over everything. So this week I was in Nashville. For much of the week. I was at a conference put on by Dave Ramsey if you know who that is. So a lot of fun learning from the best and every time I go to a city now, I look up and see if our show is on there, and yes it is. So I want to give a shout out w LAC Talk Radio ninety eight three fifteen ten, So thanks for listening there, Nashville. I didn't really make it into Nashville because this was like a full on, three days, nine to five kind of conference, nine to six, nine to seven, and it was a lot So we learned all about how, you know, Dave built his show and how they do things over there, a lot of research, a lot of a lot of people. I think they have like eleven hundred people working all from a single radio show. I mean, he's grown it into my more than that, but it's it's quite incredible what he's built there. But the thing that really got me number one, I learned a couple things about myself. Small talk is really really taxing. There was about eighty of us invited to this event and it was invitation only, which was really cool. So it's a bunch of people kind of making a difference in the world, doing different things in social media and radio and TV and all this stuff, and you know, you had to get to know everyone, and it was just kind of like a lot of time to you know, talk to people, engage with them, exchange stories, whatever, and two things. Number one small talk, So you have to talk to these people. You got to figure out what they're doing. And I had to do a lot of that, and I realized that is a lot of that takes a lot of energy for me. So we're gonna have a guest later on give me some tips on how to be better at that and if I'm the only one that it takes a lot of energy out of the Other thing I had to do was a group speaking exercise. This was just a five minute I had to tell a story in front of a small group of people, including some executives, which made it very nerve wracking. But I'm not kidding. I can talk on the radio all day, I could talk on TV all day. My heart rate was double what it typically is. I'm looking at my Apple Watch and I'm just like, what is happening here? I have never been so nervous. I had cotton mouth. I literally could not speak. It was that bad. I'm like, where's the water here? But I got through it. It was fun and it made me realize that speaking in front of a large or even a small group is very different than speaking into a microphone. So now that's something I will work on for sure, because I want to give I want to start giving some of these groups speaking kind of presentations. I've got a lot to say. Let me see some of my observations from traveling. I always have a lot of thoughts when it comes to traveling. So first off, scheduling an uber seems to be more expensive than just grabbing an uber. I mean, it's nice that you can schedule an uber so that it comes at the right, exact time you want, but it seems to be more expensive for that privilege. So just know that the other way that I actually figure out when to leave for the airport. I'm gonna give you my little secret here. I look at my boarding pass, I see what time I board, and then I backtrack. Now I only need about an hour from the time I get there to the boarding time. You may need more, you know, if you're traveling with your kids or you want more time, sure, just take that extra time. But what I do is I use ways. They've got this great feature called go later, So if you type in where you're going, you can actually say I want to arrive at let's say eight am, and it will tell you what time you need to leave from your location to get there by eight am. It's a very very handy feature. I use it on a daily basis. Again, it's go later, so you type in the address and then you hit go later, and it should help you figure out when to go. TSA at Lax had this interesting facial recognition system that I guess I've heard of but I haven't seen in person. But you slide it's all self service. Basically, you slide your ID into this reader and then you stand in front of an iPad and it takes your picture and it compares the picture that it just took of you to the picture on your ID. And by the way, this took forever. It's much faster to have the person just look at you and say, okay, you are who you say you are, and have you come through. But it made me realize that we are in for a future I believe of fully automated TSA lines. I do think that's coming where kind of like a self checkout system, you have one person that's kind of monitoring a lot of different checkouts. I think that's what's going to happen with the TSA lines. Hey, we got someone that doesn't look like they match their ID, Come on over to the person and they'll manually check. So I'm just saying that right now, let's see. Oh, when you're on your flight, this is important. Always connect to the in flight Wi Fi, even if you're not going to pay for it. You may get free messaging. A lot of these airlines give you free messaging. If you're a T Mobile customer, a lot of times you get free WiFi. But you'll notice you'll also get your notifications. For some reason, those seemed to come through on the iPhone no matter what, and even on androids. Sometimes, even if you're not paying for Wi Fi, you may not be able to act on those notifications if you're not actually paying, but it's helpful, like you can see what's going on with those notifications. Now, I will tell you one thing that was a little bit concerning. When I landed in Nashville, Okay, I took a ride share to the hotel and it was fine. The guy was very nice and we get to the area where I'm staying and I said, Wow, I'm impressed with this little area it's really cute, Like, what's the deal with this area? And I kid you not. He goes, Oh, I don't know. I'm just driving for my brother. He's actually in the hospital. I was like, wait, what hold on? So apparently the person who was driving me was not the person in the app. Now I had never thought of this possibility before, but that is a major major issue if that's true, If that's what was happening. He said, Oh, no, I in a different city. I'm just down here for the weekend while my brother is, you know, doing this thing in the hospital, and I'm just helping them out. So and I was playing it cool because I was like, at this point, just get me to the hotel and let me out of this car. But that's like how a murder starts happening, you know, like one of these like Netflix murder shows. It's like, oh, yeah, I'm just helping them out, and it just makes eye contact with you in the rear view mirror and I'm like, oh gosh, and then the door's lock. That did not happen, thankfully, but it was very concerning. And now I'm wondering do these services have a system in place where they verify the driver is who they say they are. Like, when you step into your ride share shift, do you have to scan your face against the ID and they say, Okay, you're who you say you are on your ID. It's almost like back to that TSA thing. So it was all fine. The person was very nice, and I didn't want to report this to the ride share company, but I'm just kind of telling you, maybe check the photo of the person and kind of look at the person when you get in the car and just make sure those two things look similar. Now in this case, they did, so I didn't really think. I mean, they're brothers, so they look similar. But that's kind of concerning that that's even a thing that could happen. Ah, So that's that just might kind of be aware of that. The other thing that I thought was pretty cool on my flight back is we were taking off and the pilot gets on almost like in an urgent manner, and he's like, hey, you might want to look outside your right window right now, because I was like, what's happening right now? They were launching Starlink satellites, and so there's a whole bunch of Starlink satellites. There's like twelve in a row. It looked like launching up into the air, and I kid you not, it looked like Santa and his sleigh. It was all these twinkly starlight satellites going up into the space. And if you're not familiar with starlink, that is Elon Musk's wireless Internet beam from outer space. And they need like hundreds, if not thou of these satellites just orbiting the Earth so that you can have Internet on any location you can think of, beamed wirelessly. And it's pretty fast compared to previous wireless internet from the space. But I thought that was pretty neat. And then one more thing I want to comment on Southwest. They are running a dark pattern. Now, I love I love me some Southwest. Don't get me wrong. They will get you from point A to point B. It's like a bus. You get on, you find your C. You know, it's it's no frills, it's nice. The flight attendants are always so nice. But they do run a little bit of a dark pattern. And I'll tell you what that is. When you get your little check in situation where it's a B or C. The way they check you in is not like a typical airline that assigns you a seat in advance, they give you a number and when you get that number, it's either A B or C a letter and a number, and then it's like A through one through sixty, B one through sixty, C one through sixty. And the lower you are on the totem pole, the less chance you have of getting a good seat on that plane. One gets, you know, whatever pick they want, A two, the next best seat a three, and so on. Well, when you check in, like I checked in immediately and I still got like B twenty five, and so now I'm nervous. I'm like, oh, am I gonna have some overhead space? Am I gonna get a middle seat? Am I gonna have a horrible seat in the back? And they say, oh, well, you can upgrade to a better number for sixty bucks, sixty dollars to sit in a better seat. Absolutely not my wife. The last time we flew Southwest, she's like, can we please upgrade so we can sit together? I said, oh no, I'm not playing this game. No, no, no, we will sit apart for two hours if we have to. Yes, that's how cheap I am. Sometimes. And so I got on board B twenty five. There were so many people getting on board this little plane, and sure enough, what did I get? I got an exit row seat with a ton of extra leg room. Nobody was next to me, there was a ton of overhead space, and if I would have paid that sixty dollars, I would have felt really, really dumb. So my point is, Southwest, I love you, but you're running a bit of a dark pattern because you don't know how many people are actually boarding that plane, how much luggage they have, and what seats they're going to choose. Every single time this has happened to me, I've really had a pretty good experience with finding a decent seat. You may have to sit in the middle once in a while, but most of the time you're gonna find something unless you're in that sea. But if you're in that sea, you didn't even try to check in on time, so you kind of deserve that, all right. Coming up on today's show, I'm going to talk about why Tesla's charging network is quickly becoming the new standard. We've got some great guests this week, see net. Scott Stein is going to join us to talk about his review of the Google Pixel tablet, best selling author Deborah Fine is going to join me to talk about how technology is impacting the art of small talk. And then Julie Ramhold, consumer analysts with deal News, is going to talk about Amazon Prime Day. We now have a date for that next big event. It's also your turn. Your calls coming up next at Triple eight Rich one oh one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. The phone number is eight eight eight four to one zero one. My name is Rich d'muro and you are doing something smart. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. My name is Rich DeMuro talking technology with you at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one, or you can email hello at Richontech dot tv. You've got lots of your calls, We've got lots of your emails. I've got lots of news to talk about this week, plus some great interviews. You can follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Let's have Tom kick off the show this hour. Tom, you're on riverside. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Rich, Good talk to you.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for coming on What can I help you with great.
Speaker 2: So Rich, I've got a couple of daughters, all in college a couple of years that'll all be getting out into the job market. And I was trying to figure out with my oldest some software platforms that she might you know, take some classes in or get proficient and that's gonna help her with that career search. One of the ones that we use at my office is Salesforce, and you know, the Salesforce administrator at my office is an absolute godsend. And it dawned on me that it is a it's kind of been I don't know if it's emerging anymore. It's been around long enough, but it seems to have skyrocketed from the day it hit the hit the market, and I was just curious if you had any indications, you know, from where you sit, if that skyrocketing is gonna plateau or keep going, or if that Salesforce administrator position is something that's going to just thrive for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Great question. How old is your daughter? She's in college?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got I've got three rich nineteen twenty one and twenty two.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you got you got a lot of weddings to pay for intuitions at once in college. Yeah, so here's the thing, and they do. They all show interest in doing something in the tech world.
Speaker 2: The oldest for sure. For sure, she's going to graduate with a computational mathematics and computer science degree.
Speaker 1: Wow, smart cookie, you know I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amen, you know, I've got a real good sense of the type of worker. She is very task oriented, kind of a dog with a bone type of situation. So it did feel like a pretty decent fit.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, a couple of things. So, first off, I mean, Salesforce is just one of many many software platforms out there. These are software as a service, so that you know, it used to be companies would buy software in a box installed on a computer and run it. And then these companies came out with software that runs in the cloud, and Salesforce is an example of that. There are many others SAP and so it's much more modular. Companies can expand what they need, they can get rid of what they don't need, they can add different things to it. And yes, Salesforce did do very well. They built that giant, sixty one story skyscraper in San Francisco over a billion dollars but here's the thing I don't know. I would think for your daughters, they are probably going to show some interest in something. I think they should probably dip their toes into different classes that do these things. So I would look at something like data analytics because that is a huge, huge growth area for companies. Every single company needs data analytics and someone that understands that. If they want to do coding, that's a separate world in itself. Coding is obviously very popular, but that's something they can try and see if they like that. It doesn't sound like that's what your oldest daughter wants to do. Then you've got stuff like these project management platforms, so companies need project managers for their different initiatives, and so they always need someone that knows how to run the software that does project management. And then of course you've got cloud computing, which is you know, the Amazon AWS. I was actually just down in Anaheim. They had a big AWS convention and so a lot of smart people there. They all look like they were doing very well if you ask me, they're all in very nice suits. So AWS is a huge growing area, and that's just one cloud service out there. And of course there's design things like Adobe, Photoshop and all that stuff. But I think AI is also the place where they should start looking too, because that is going to have an impact on just about every single job category that I mentioned. And I think for your oldest daughter, if she's really getting into the job force, I think she looks at some jobs that appeal to her and cross reference the skills that are inside those job descriptions and then check out some classes that have to do with that. Because this stuff is rapidly changing. But I think if you have that analytical mind, you would want to do something with the analytical side of things. If you have the management mind, you want to do something with project management or AI is really going to have an impact on all of these different job things. So if you're into that, definitely start taking a look at some of those tools. Great question, Tom, if you have a question. Eight eight to eight Rich one oh one. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, rich Demiro talking technology with you and joining me now is Scott Stein, editor at Large at c NEET, to talk about Google's new Pixel tablet. Scott, thanks so much for joining me today. Hey, thanks Rich, So let's talk about Google's majestic return to the world of tablets. I remember one of my favorite tablets was their tiny little It was like an eight inch Nexus tablet back in the day. Do you remember that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, next to seven was great. I think I have one sitting in a Jerusalem where you know. That was wonderful and it was affordable. It was before phones got really big and doubled this tablet and it just feel like that the ball kip keeps being dropped when it comes to Android tablets in their progress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the deal? So last week we were talking about Amazon's fire tablet, which the new Max eleven has a really good kind of hardware profile, but the software is almost unusable. And so now we have a Pixel tablet which has amazing software, Like, this thing was really fun. The iPad is amazing, but there are some things about the the iOS software with the tablet that is good for apps but bad for sort of other things. But anyway, what is your initial thought on this tablet? This is a four hundred and ninety nine dollars tablet that has a dock built in are kind of attached to it, So give me your initial thoughts on this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, grew with you. I think the most exciting thing is Google's focus on software for tablets here, and I think that it just felt using it at home, it felt fun, it felt friendly, and I think that's something in the Android tablet landscape has been missing. I think you have a lot of technologically capable tablets, but like you said, a lot of the software tends to be very tablets specific or a little bit wonky. And I like the fact that this also can be a home hub.
Speaker 2: Even though the people have used.
Speaker 4: It for the smart on features have said that the assistant software, the Assistant Voice AI, could be a lot better there. I think that the idea of it being dockable is a different use is something that Apple hasn't done with the iPad. And also the ability to switch accounts on Android tablets I really appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a recurring That was a recurring theme across all the reviews that people said, why doesn't the iPad have a way to have multiple users?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's baffling, and so for kids especially, you know, we share, I mean a lot of people share tablet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Google is observing in their statistics, and that's what this is about, is that Hey, whoever wants to pick it up can use it, which is fantastic, and I think that that's great. The split app multitasking worked really well, although not all apps use it, And that's the question here is, you know, Google is reinvesting in that idea, and it looks like it's also the impetus behind what they're doing with the folding phone. So hopefully there's some consistency there in app support.
Speaker 1: So to your point about the multiple users, I've got a tablet set up in the workout area, like on the workout bike, that has my I message logged in, and literally my wife is using Peloton the whole time. She's just seeing all my messages fly by. And I'm like, oh, that's not that I'm doing anything like weird with the messaging, but it's just a little strange to have someone watch. She's like, hey, I'm just watching you text back and forth the whole day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there should be a really easy way without having to log out and you know, add another ye club. There should be a way to quickly switch profiles like we do with game consoles and you know, pretty much everything else, but the iPad it makes it really difficult. So I think I wish the price on the Pixel tablet were a little bit lower, Yeah, because I think that five hundred is not expensive, but it's not an impulse purchase. And so I think a lot of tablets for families and kids, people want to get the most affordable thing possible. That there's a cheaper iPad than that, even though it's older. There's the Kindle, you know, the fire tablets. So that's one thing I think is you know, would be on a wish list for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kind of turns people off to see that high price point because now if you really break it down, I know there's some people that are kind of arguing this point. But it comes with a tablet, and then it also comes with a dock, and the dock sells for what one hundred and twenty nine dollars on its.
Speaker 5: Own, Yeah, so exactly.
Speaker 4: I think that's that's where they sort of talk about the value for it. For me, I looked at it like, you know, I love the case that that Google is making for this, a nice kickstandcase, but that's eighty dollars, so you know, that's expensive and kind of iPad case territory, and that that plus getting an extra amount of storage for one hundred dollars more. These can ramp it up. I almost would have maybe thought about throwing in a case or something else in lieu of the of the dock, or having a different price equation. Yeah, I mean that's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: But the good news is the doc is actually kind of genius. And I will tell you this. So number one, I so let me just kind of paint the picture of what this tablet looks like. So it's a it's a really nicely designed it almost looks like a big pixel phone. And then it magnetically attaches to this little dock that looks like you can just pull the front off of a Google Nest Hub, so it almost looks like when you're when it's docked, that it's a Nest Hub, you know, like when those Google Smart Home kind of devices. And so the genius of it is that it's always charged, and then when you're not using it, it's a screen saver for whatever you want. So I have my Google Photos collection on there. It can show the weather, all these different types of things. Plus you can ask it things, you know, the voice commands and what I thought would happen and it did is I started playing music on the tablet and then I magnetically attached it to the DOC and the music just magically transferred to the DOC speaker, which is much louder and richer. And so it's a really smart idea that you always have this tablet that's ready to go. But not everyone wants to spend five hundred dollars on a tablet, and I think that's going to keep them from getting this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think on the flip side, if you think, you know, if you're using a lot of stuff in Google ecosystem and you don't want to get it phone another phone or you know, something like that, that's not a lot to spend. And I think that the idea that it can be a home hub, You're right, is a huge advantage. The speaker sounded nice. You know, we got really into just somebody playing music or even just playing YouTube video. You know, we started to just kind of gather around and the kids started gathering around it, and I said, you could detach the tablet, but there's you know, it's definitely a kitchen counter friendly type thing. Who were kind of hovers off the dock, so it's not touching the counter and I think that there's a lot of ways that it could be useful in that regard. So so yeah, I think that there's like a lot, a lot of plus to it.
Speaker 1: And what do you think of the cameras. I'm I'm loving this feature on Google Meat that it's like the backgrounds on Google Meat are so good, like these three sixty backgrounds, Like they're moving like I have mindset as like this castle and like a medieval castle with like a dragon like flap, you know, flap flapping his wings behind me. And the cameras I thought were pretty good. And I thought that experience was pretty good. What do you make of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too. It seemed a tiny bit betterund Meat than on Zoom, but maybe it was just when I was running it. But the you know, I was looking at this pre release, the camera quality looks really good. It's positioned on the right spot, which is you know, when you dock it, it's going to be centered like Apple started doing with their with their I've had in the fall. Yeah, it's it's very convenient. I even think on the dock it was a pretty easy one to use for for for quick spontaneous video chats with people, and I know I used other types of devices like that in the past, you know, portally that I'm playing around with, and I think there, it's really convenient, and so I thought that was a lot of fun and definitely the way that I'd want to use this.
Speaker 1: And the only thing I thought was kind of interesting too, is I I found myself trying to figure out and maybe this is just muscle memory for using it. After using it for a while, i'd be more comfortable. But I was trying to figure out like where the fingerprint sensor was, like on the power button, because sometimes they just pick it up and not really know because it's so symmetrical. Did you have that issue at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit that I told myself, Okay, right finger on top corner is good, but yeah, you know that's the thing is, depending on which you're holding it, you might start fumbling around for that.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 4: The good news of the fingerprints sensor was really fast, and I found it was just like instant log in, and then again with the guest accounts and the other modes, you can bypass that. So I found that was a really nice solution. Sometimes I don't like the face log and stuff at all. I find that it gets in the way of the flow and sometimes doesn't register. So I'm glad that this had that. I do wish the whole thing had a keyboard though. That's that's one thing that I'm regretting that Google left out.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if you're trying, like I feel like they're not really positioning this as a productivity device, you know, which is funny because the Amazon Fire Max is and it's like anything but and this could be because it's got such clean software. It's got all the Google products and services on it, So it could be a really nice little email machine.
Speaker 4: It really could. And more like it's it's a very capable processor. The multitasking works really well, waste dictation worked great, similar to how well it works on Pixel phones. And you know, at Google had focused on this productivity a thing the last time with the Pixel Slate, which was a failed product but I thought was interesting, kind of like a chromebook mett Android tablet back in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, And now they move completely in the opposite direction, nailing so much of the everyday casual tablet use. But I think with kids, a lot of them, you know, my kids work on things or write things, and they'll set up a keyboards. I think it can work with other keyboards, but I think there's a big opportunity there. I would think to enable this for that and just add to abuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well hopefully they're working on that, Scott. We're going to leave it there, Scott Stein of cnet telp Folks. How they can find you online?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: Well, you can find me a Twitter jet Scott. You can also find me mastadon and blue Sky, and you can also find me and Seema dot com. I have an author profile there.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thanks so much for joining me today. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, Coming up, I'm gonna tell you why the FTC is mad at Amazon again. Plus more of your calls at Triple eight rich one O one. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's see. Let's go to uh stan Stan is in Bettsville, Ohio. Stand you're on with rich.
Speaker 5: Hello rich On Tech. Hello, Hey, my outlook Microsoft Outlook has gone rogue on me or something. It was operating fine for the longest time, but recently seems like the highest percentage of my outgoing mails come back to me with an air message that couldn't be delivered to such and such address for some cryptic reason. So, long story short, I'm thinking about reinstalling Outlook, but I read somewhere or thought I did that I need to reinstall Microsoft three sixty five entirely, not just Outlook.
Speaker 6: What are your.
Speaker 5: Thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: Are You're on a Windows machine, I'm.
Speaker 5: Taking it, yeh, Windows ten.
Speaker 1: I'm running okay. And when you go to the list of programs, is Outlook listed separately or is it not?
Speaker 5: I believe it's listed separately. I'm almost positive, okay.
Speaker 1: And have you tried to just say uninstall that?
Speaker 5: No, because I was afraid I'd lose past emails and folders and all of that anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It depends on how your account is set up if you're going to lose those folders and things. So if your account is set up locally where you're downloading everything, then yes, you would lose anything that you've set up. If it's set up, if it's set up as an IMAP, or if it's just mirroring the server, then any thing that you've set up on the server side will just mirror over once it comes back down. Do you know what type of email address you're using? I mean I assume you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a website that I set up, and the email address is the my email address is the website name.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so when you set that up on that email is it an IMAP or is it a POP three? Do you know?
Speaker 7: Boy?
Speaker 5: I'm familiar with what you're asking, but I don't know. But now I'm in front of my PC again, maybe I can find out real quick.
Speaker 1: Well, So I would do some research on that and just see if the email address how your provider sets it up. Most of the time, I mean, it depends with with your own website. A lot of the times it could be POP, but IMAP is pretty common as well, so it sort of depends. But I think that's going to determine how much you're going to going to lose. So what I would do is I would do a backup of your data before you do anything, and then try to uninstall all Outlook if you can't uninstall it by itself, which it may be linked to the three sixty five the whole suite. Then you know you're gonna have to uninstall that and reinstall. Is there what caused this problem?
Speaker 5: I don't know. It happened, oh several weeks ago, and I've tried to work around it, and it's just seems to be getting worse. Doesn't make sense to me. But have you have no idea what caused it? But I get all these bounce backs saying that it can't deliver to SO and Sol's address, and it gives me a reason that is like hieroglyphics.
Speaker 6: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably doesn't make much sense. Have you installed any plugins on this program that would cause this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Not, No, I don't believe I have ever.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I would. I would try to do the uninstalled and see if that works. It seems like an odd problem to just start happening out of nowhere. The other thing the other thing can try to do is have you tried, like downloading the Outlook app to your phone or anything like that.
Speaker 5: I have, and I've had difficulty and right now I can't get it downloaded to my phone.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. What are using iPhone or Android? Android boone and it just won't download. Interesting, well, that should be available in the in the Google Play Store, but you might try to log in and see if your information is there, if it's storing it in the cloud, and it may just carry down through there. So that's another way.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 5: And did you suggest that to back up outlook first?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would. I would. I would export everything and just you know, save that file in case you can't get things back. And then that way, at least you have a backup that you can you can bring back to you know, bring back to life in a little bit of a way. So do you pay for Office three sixty five or no? Did you? How are you getting this program?
Speaker 5: I went in to try and find that out. I think I did, and I think I said a very nominal amount. But I can't see in my CRM package where I'm paying for it or not. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, usually it's only you know, it's a couple like under ten dollars a month for that, or you can pay for the hard gear in advance, but that would give you access to downloading the app itself. It seems like the app is part of the Suite on Windows, but on a Mac, I know they just came out with a standalone office or an outlook rather, So if you have a Mac, you can try logging in there as well and seeing but I know you can download that on there as well because I played with it. So those are some things to try and see if they work. But that is frustrating when your email is coming back. If you're like me, you just forget to actually send your email. So I will set up an email and I will get distracted at work and I literally forget to hit send and next thing you know, people are like, hey, Rich, where's that email. It's like I thought I sent it, but I didn't. And sometimes that will happen as well. So thanks for the call, appreciate it. Let me tell you why the FTC is mad at Amazon once again. A couple weeks ago they had to pay like thirty million bucks for some issues with Ring and some other privacy issues. Now they're saying that Amazon makes it tough for consumers to cancel their subscriptions to Prime. They filed a complaint that says Amazon has knowingly duped millions of consumers into unknowingly and rolling into Amazon Prime. Now, I've had Amazon Prime for a long time, but I think what they're talking about is when you check out, if you don't have Prime, there's probably a little tiny checkbox that says include a free trial of Amazon Prime for overnight shipping or free shipping, and people do that, and then all of a sudden they see that credit card charge for fourteen ninety nine and they say, wait a second, what I thought I was just signed up for a free trial, or I forgot that I signed up for a free trial. And then the FTC alleges that they make it really tough to cancel the subscription. Now that's the part that I'm not sure I agree with, because I feel like if you would chat with Amazon, you could cancel that pretty easily. But they say that, you know, this is a dark pattern that Amazon is using, and it really made it tough for consumers. I'm trying to figure out where they say this. Oh, Consumers who attempted to cancel Prime were faced with multiple steps to actually accomplish the task of canceling. According to the complaint, they had to locate the cancelation flow, which Amazon of course hid. Then once they located it, they were redirected to multiple pages that presented offers to continue the subscription at a discounted price, or to turn off the auto renew feature, or to decide not to cancel, And then after clicking through all these pages, consumers could finally cancel the service. That seems to be pretty common though online if you try to cancel anything. And so, I know the FTC is really singling out Amazon here, but I feel like a lot of companies do that. So if you felt like you were wronged by Amazon Prime Government, it's got You're back, rich tamiro here. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Tamuro here talking technology with you at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I hope you're having a fantastic day. Did you know that you can listen to this show as a podcast. Just search rich on Tech in your favorite audio app and be sure to subscribe. Then you can go to rich on Tech dot tv to find the show notes. I take very good notes about what we talk about here, So if you're looking for a link to something I mentioned, chances are it's in there because I try to get it all. We've got best selling author Deborah Fine joining me this hour. She's going to talk about technology and how it's impacting the art of small talk. Because I don't know about you, but it's much easier in a crowd of folks to just kind of, you know, retreat to your smartphone and that endless scroll than it is to actually have that human connection with folks. And it's tough. It's not easy to talk to strangers. But we're going to see what Debra says about that. All right, let's kick off this hour with Julio in Los Angeles. Julio, you're on with Wretch. I'm fantastic. How are you?
Speaker 8: Ah, very good. I have a challenging question for you.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 8: I have Moscilla District okay, oh, sorry for nights okay, And I've been living with it for many years and I will for forty years into counting a problem. But the problem is this, I have a I have a cell phone, you know where I versus my wife had en a plit phone, and we have a problem because she suffers the same, you know, and when we put it in a front pocket, I'll must start to hurt. I got to he's very share the expicient phone that I buy for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when you put your phone in your front pocket, you're saying your body aches from it. Okay, Well there is a solution. And now, look, I don't know if there's a correlation. I mean, you're telling me this. I don't know if other people are experiencing this, but there are you know, there obviously are frequencies that are emitted by your phone. You've got a flip phone, so I feel like that's not as high powered as some of the other smartphones out there. And all of the phones, by the way, have this little rating. They've got this like radiation rating, so you can look it up by phone. It's like measured I think in microns. But different phones definitely have different sort of radiation levels that they emit. So you can check that out if you search online for the model number, and you know, there's a I'm trying to figure out what the let me see if I can find out iPhone radius level and let's see if they have the number. Um yeah, it's like yes, So there's like a little like wattage number. Oh there it is. It's like, uh yeah, RF exposure information, So they all have SAR. SAAR value is what they call it, so you can look up the name of your phone plus SAR and specific absorption rate is what they call it. The rate to which the body absorbs RF energy radio frequency energy. The SAR limit on the iPhone twelve pro, for example, is one point six watts per kilogram in countries that set the limit averaged over one gram of tissue and two watts per kilogram WOWS. This is a lot if you want to read about this, This is like you can go down a rabbit hole with all this stuff. But basically, they do test phones for this stuff, and they do tell you what the different levels are that come out of these phones, and they are very different. So if you want to check your phone, just google whatever phone model you have plus SAR and it will tell you what that number is for the head and the body. So with all of that said, there are cases that can block these in and out radio waves. But here's the deal. They're often called a Faraday bag. It's going to block all signals, so you are not going to be able to get a signal from this phone. It is not going to ring when it's in this bag. If it's in your pocket. So if you're okay with that, you can check out these different companies that make these things. One of them is called Silent Pocket. I guess they've just kind of rebranded as Silent now. And their website is SLNT dot com Silent slnt dot com, and they make a whole bunch of different Faraday bags, everything from sleeves for your keys, for your laptop, for your credit cards, and also your phone. And I have one of their phone bags, and yeah, when you put your phone in there, it is it immediately cuts off all signals to and from that phone. The other company, and I'm not as familiar with their products, I haven't used them, but I know they make them is called off grid O F F g R I D dot c O and off grid is I believe they're based on and I think both these companies are like San Diego area. But these they make a wallet, they make a bag, they make a little cell phone case, they make a duffel bag, they make a backpack. Let's see what else here, a window kit whatever that is. But these are these are some ways of kind of blocking all signals to and from your phone. So this could be used for security. It could also be used for something like you're talking about, Julio. I don't know if that would help. I don't know if you want to do that, but that is the solution that I can think of otherwise maybe. And I've thought about this before. Believe me, I'm not one of these like you know, you know, tin hat kind of guys. But I have thought about, because I've kept my phone in my pocket for so long, I have thought about, maybe it's time to switch where I keep my phone and not keep it, you know, near the the groin area so much, and maybe have some sort of holster on my ankle area. And I know it sounds crazy, but it's like, you know, I don't know. I've had a cell phone in my pocket now for twenty years and it seems to be okay, but you don't want to find out the hard way that it's not so good. Call, Julio. Thanks so much for asking that interesting, interesting question. Let's see, should we go to Do I have time for another call? All right, let's go to let's see. Oh my gosh, so many calls today.
Speaker 4: Karen.
Speaker 1: Karen is in Thousand Oaks.
Speaker 3: Karen, You're on with Rich Hi there, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for calling.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: I have an iPhone. I've had one since two thousand and seven and I have it backed up with iclouds and my daughter got married and I decided that it would be a great idea to back up the photos somewhere else. Absolutely decided, Yeah, easy to do it on Google Photos. So I started the process downloading it on my phone, and it ran out a memory really fast because it was backing up all my photos from my phone and I had a lot, and so I stopped the I stopped it, and I so I started playing around a little bit and I deleted a photo and it said, okay, we're going to delete the photo from iPhoto.
Speaker 8: So I stopped.
Speaker 3: I didn't delete anymore. But then it it took all like on Google Photo. It was completely full, and it wanted more money so to back up everything another ten bucks a month. So now I feel like I'm being held hostage by them, and so I stopped all the access to photos from my iPhone to Google. Sure it's just fine, but now it says that I can't get my email or Google.
Speaker 1: Because our account is maxed out and they're connected exactly yeah. Okay. So with Google you get fifteen gigs of storage I believe.
Speaker 3: Like included right right, But I'm I already pay.
Speaker 1: But you pay for iCloud.
Speaker 3: I do, can dog because I have twenty thousand photos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So here's the dilemma. So you've got these basically you're kind of okay, So two things I guess two part question here are you you're not going to use Google anymore for this?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we can get those photos out of there. The other thing is do you are you an Amazon Prime member?
Speaker 3: I am?
Speaker 1: Okay, So have you heard of Amazon Photos?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Have you used it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I would recommend since you're an Amazon Prime member and you're using this as your secondary backup, so your photos are basically in they're almost in two places there. Some of them are on your phone. I'm not sure if your phone carries all twenty thousand physically on your device. I don't know if you have that much storage on your phone. It may or may not. But they are backed up in iCloud. So that's one place they're backed up, and of course you want them backed up in a second place, which would be one of these cloud apps. So since since you're already paying for Amazon, I would say install the Amazon Photos app and let your photos back up there, and that way you have a secondary copy. Because I don't think icloud's going away anytime soon. I don't think you're gonna have an issue with that, but just in case, you will have a pretty sizeable backup of your photos, especially as you take new ones on your Amazon account as well. Now that will take care of moving forward. So to get rid of these photos out of Google, I would just go ahead delete the Google Photos app off of your iPhone. You don't need to do anything first before you do that, Just go ahead and delete it.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then I would go to photos dot Google dot com on your computer and you can go ahead and select photos in there and delete them. And I believe once you go in there, let me try this real quick. If you select like one photo, you you should be able to select a bunch at a time and just go ahead and delete those. And when you delete them from the web interface, they're not going to delete off your iPhone at the same time because it can't talk to your your iCloud anymore. Does that make sense?
Speaker 8: I think?
Speaker 3: So, let me just one other thing I have in iMac, and I don't have iCloud on my Mac because I didn't want them if I took if I deleted them off on my phone, I didn't want them to delete them off my computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the way that iCloud works is it's a it's a everything syncs to iCloud. So if you're looking at your photo collection on your Mac, it's going to be the same exact collection that's on your phone. That's if you go to iCloud dot com, it's all the same. And it's very confusing for people because they think because it's on an app on their phone, it's different than what's in the cloud or what's on you know, their computer if they're syncing it. So that is a little confusing. But my main point here is that if you're if you're not wanting to use the Google Photos aspect of anything, just go to the Google Photos website and that anything you do there will not connect through to iCloud. So if you go through and delete all these pictures on Google Photos, they will only delete on the Google Photos cloud and it's not going to redelete them off of your iCloud photo collection. Okay, So, and you can go through and you know, try to bulk delete. I think you can select a thousand at once or something like that. But you can just go through and kind of delete as many as possible. And I believe you can just kind of click in the corner of the photo and then drag over to kind of select multiple photos at once and that then then just go ahead and delete them. Then you can empty the trash and you should see your storage kind of clean up there. So, uh, good question, Karen. I know it's confusing. This phot cloud collection stuff is really not easy, especially when you start using multiple different providers. So good question there, and get that stuff cleaned up. So your Gmail works again because it is connected, all right. If you have a call, give me a or if you have a question, give me a call. It's triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. My name is rich Dmuro and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you've got an iPhone, you want to update your software immediately. Apple issued an emergency patch this week UH to address alleged spyware vulnerability. So the actual the allegers in this case is Russia. Their intelligence service said that Apple was intentionally leaving this hole open in their software so that people can spy on Russia through it, which I mean take that claim with a grain of salt. But there is a vulnerability on the iPhone that should definitely be patched. So if you go into your settings, so if you if you don't know how to do this, sometimes it'll pop up on your screen to tell you. But if it doesn't, you just go into settings, you go into General and then software update and you should be on iOS sixteen point five point one again sixteen point five point one if you want to be on the latest software. That's if you're not running any betas, which you could be, but I don't, but anyway, do that for sure. Researchers with the cyber security firm Kaspersky, which is headquartered in Moscow, said that they found the exploit while monitoring the network traffic of their own corporate Wi Fi network dedicated for mobile devices. So Apple did patch this of course they denied the claims that they are intentionally leaving this flaw in iOS. So the NSA and other US security agencies could compromise phones in Russia. But who knows. It'd be more interesting if they were doing that, right, but I don't think they were so anyway, update your software. If you have an iPhone, let's see if you have an a SOUS router, update your firmware. Welcome to the update your software show my home. My name is Rich DeMuro, but this is important. I don't do all software updates, but I you know, if these are like critical vulnerabilities, you need to do this. And your router in your house is you know, that's the the endpoint. You know, that's the place where someone could get in. So you want to make sure it's up to date. And we don't often think about updating our routers unless you have one of these new mesh systems that does it automatically. So if you have a a SUS RT GTSZN WI FI and TUF router TUF, that just sounds bad. I don't know what that means, but that sounds bad. Yeah, if you have a tough router, check for a firmware update as soon as possible. The company released a security patch of resolving nine vulnerabilities that could harm you. Someone could execute some remote code and take over your network at your house. You don't want that to happen. So if you don't know how to do this, these these routers go back to twenty eighteen, by the way, So you log into your router a lot of times it's on the bottom of your router, your router's IP address. I know this gets a little complicated, but look on the bottom of your router and there's a there's usually an address you can put in, and you type that in, it'll bring you to your router's interface and then you can update the software from there. If you don't know how to find the IP address, as US has a device to discoverutility, you can download that or go to the website for that. And then once you go to the website for your router, you'll see a notification up here in the top right corner that says a firmware update is available. Click firmware upgrade to download install the patch and that should take just a few minutes. But if you have an a SOUS router, again definitely want to do the firmware update. If you don't know how to do this yourself, find a kid in your neighborhood that's good at tech and ask them to help you do it. And I'm sure they'll be happy to do that. All right, I don't think we have enough time for a question, so let's do this. Let's do an email question since we only have a minute. Hey, Rich, we're allowing our grandson to use our car to get to and from school in a part time job. Is there a tracking device that can be covertly attached to the vehicle in order to see if he's making any side trips? Well, we have to pay a monthly monitoring fee. Thank you, Roger. Roger, I cannot say that you should track anyone. It is your car, so it's your progative. But I don't think you should secretly track anyone. I think that you should to talk to your grandson, tell them that you want to track them, and that should probably stop the side trips in general, like pretty quickly. But there are some highly rated devices. There's a company you could look into called Logistimatics Logistimatics dot com. And then two highly rated products. One is called Bouncy bo u n cie. That's under one hundred dollars. Plus you have to pay eight bucks a month for the tracker part and then track track you dot Com is thirty dollars and that also has GPS, but keep in mind you will need to pay a monthly fee. All right. Coming up next, best selling author Deborah Fine is going to tell us about the Fine Art of small talk. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology, which I can do pretty well, but when it comes to small talk, man, I feel like I am just not good at that. And I was at this conference over the weekend or over the week i should say, and it was three days of non stop small talk. So they would do kind of like you know, a breakfast small talk. Then they do a talk on stage, break out small talk while you wait for the next session, do another session on stage small talk again, small talk during cocktail hour, small talk everywhere. Joining me now is author Deborah Fine. She wrote the book on small talk, The Fine Art of Small Talk, And Deborah, thanks for joining me today. Is it your birthday today?
Speaker 8: Rich?
Speaker 9: It's my birthday today.
Speaker 1: Happy day. Hey, that's a that's a great way to start small talk. Hey it's your birthday, Happy birthday.
Speaker 9: So you can't use that a good one as an icebreaker, and it's pretty self centered. I just use that to tweet out today.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so already I'm self centered. See this is my problem.
Speaker 9: Well I do that, then I'm self centered. It's all about you right now, rich Okay, Well.
Speaker 1: Here's my first question for you. Right am I abnormal in the fact that I feel like small talk can be really tricky sometimes.
Speaker 9: Well not only tricky, but as I listened to you describe your week, I was exhausted, But everyone listening was just as exhausted, unless they're an extrovert, of course, or unless they had more than one cocktail or five cocktails, and it's not as exhausting, of course.
Speaker 1: But then you get then you run into like you know, you don't want to do that either.
Speaker 9: You know, of course not. So here's here's the trick to small talker, I mean, the many tricks. Number one is to you decide how much time you're going to invest in the energy you're going to invest. But then you've got to do it right. So what I mean by right is I turn it into a task. I'm an introvert by nature. Who I hope sounds like an extrovert right now. So when I walk into a networking event, or that coffee break, or the reception before the dinner or the awards or whatever you had to go through this week, we're sitting in the auditorium waiting for the next speaker, I approach that as a task. Here's the task. Meet the person I right, meet the person on my left, don't wait for them to introduce themselves. Walk into a hospitality suite. Tell myself, I'm going to meet two new people. I'm going to meet four new people. One new person. I get to decide the task, and then when my task is done, then I get to In my case, I do like to drink, so I'll go and drink or I'll leave early. How great would that be? So small talk it sounds like a waste of saliva to most people because it most of us think it's sports or the weather. But what small talk really is, I believe, is the appetizer to a relationship. In your case, because you're at a business industry conference, it was the appetiser to business relationships. Although anything else is possible. But anytime we invest time in getting to know people or just frame conversations with small talk. So think about this before or after the picture frame of a business conversation, let's say, the provision of a service, the negotiation of a contract, the evaluation of a candidate, before or after. If we use small talk, then we develop these business friendship, business relationships and all things, you know, being equal people do business with their friends and all things not being so equal, people still do business with their friends. So it is a good investment of our time just to do it in a quality way when we choose to do it, and when we're spent exhausted done that, we should just tune out or go sit in the reception area, plan your device for a while, then come back in.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned the device. So I feel like I'm seeing when I go because I go to a lot of I basically come home on a weekly basis and explain to my wife how how many events I have to go to where you really have to put yourself out there, where you have to make these small talks. You have to meet people, you have to introduce yourself, ask people what they do. All this good stuff and I find that there are an element of folks who sort of retreat into their phone because now it used to be you know, let's say you're in a standard kind of cocktail reception kind of thing. There's a couple tables set up, some people already kind of paired off, they know someone whatever, and then other people might just stand there and stare at their phone. So do you feel like we're seeing more of a trend of that happening or has that always happened? And you know, is that okay to do or no? Should you really just not do that?
Speaker 9: I think I'm not positive of this, but I believe that people have that crutch of their phone that we can view. But in the past, because I was one of those people. You know, I was an engineer originally in my profession, and I was an INTROVERTI shy person. I stood over in the corner by myself, and you know, I joked about drinking. I was not a drinker at that time. But I do believe people would huddle at the bar because they didn't have a device to look down at. There were a million crutches, rich, It's just that the crutch right now is a device. Do I think it's wrong. Absolutely, your device should not be out and about, even at a if I sit down with you to dine, it should not be out and about on the table. It should either be in a pocket, a handback, whatever it may be. It certainly should be facing down and turned off. And if you wear an Apple Watch on your rist, please stop it, just because you're driving me nuts and I just really I cannot stand it, So for rich let me and people have forgotten this. A phone has a phone feature. I know we've forgotten this, but wouldn't it be grand. It's like as recently as yesterday, I got an inquiry in my business and instead of replying the email that's how it was delivered, I picked up the phone and used the phone feature. Now asked me if she answered no. She did not, but I left a phone message and said I follow up by email. You know, we need to have this space to face interaction or this where I can just hearing your voice right now. I don't know you. Now you're in a you originally asked me a question about going to these functions, et cetera. You're at a disadvantage because I'm guessing this. I don't know you, we've never talked. I didn't even know who you were two days ago. Sorry because I don't live in LA.
Speaker 1: But no offense.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well those of us who are living Denver, who are home of the NBA champion Denver Nuggets, everyone didn't even exist, mister Laker fan. But nonetheless I move on.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 9: Think you're probably recognizable. So you're at a disadvantage because people must come around you, and so you're almost like have to come up with small tuck more than.
Speaker 5: The rest of us.
Speaker 9: But I would say to people to walk in prepared, come up with two to three things to talk about when you walk into the situations at least that Riches does describe. So, for instance, I call it free information. So free information is the information that's free to all of us. It's sort of a commonality. So if I'm at a conference, I can say to anybody that I introduce myself, say, so, is this your first time at this conference, or what was your number one takeaway from the speaker this morning? Or what other conferences do you attend. The free information I have is that you're at this conference, right, and so am I You know, what did you see the exhibit hall that caught your eye. So if I'm at a fundraiser, what got you involved in this fundraiser? How are you connected? If I'm at your party at your house, you just disclosed that you're married. By the way, everyone listening, don't ask people if they're married. Don't ask them. If I found out Rich is married because he disclosed it, I am not going to ask him do you have any kids? Because folks, they either don't and you're headed down a rabbit hole, or they do and they won't shut up.
Speaker 1: But I made that faux pas yesterday. I asked someone, I said, oh, do you have kids? And as soon as I asked it, and I realized because when I looked up this person on their Instagram, their entire mo is sort of like, uh, I don't need a man, and the like I make my own money, this and that, and I was like, oh wow, I really kind of I really stepped into a bee's nest there.
Speaker 9: So want me to tell you my favorite way to get to know someone with's out asking those kinds of questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, give us the tips because I.
Speaker 9: Sounded like I was joking around, but I'm not. I don't think it's cool to ask people, are you married?
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 9: Even if I'm in an industry conference, I'll ask you, you know, what kind of work you do, because then it's it's appropriate. But if I'm outside of an industry conference or a work function, I don't. I'm not going to start a conversation with what do you do?
Speaker 7: Rich?
Speaker 9: So my favorite way to get to know someone without asking questions that you might put your foot in your mouth or cause them any awkwardness or discomfort, is to say, like, to you, Rich, I know enough about you professionally. I happen to just learn you how to wife. But let's put that aside for a second. My favorite way to get to know you is to say, outside of work, Rich, what keeps you busy? One day, I meet you at a fundraiser, outside of you know, working on behalf of this food bank? What keeps you busy? So I meet you at back to school night with the kids. So outside of the kids, what keeps you busy? It's my favorite way to get to know somebody. They can disclose you know, I do yoga, I like to jog, I'm I'm in a book club, I have three kids, I like to travel. Whatever they disclose is now what you get to talk about with them?
Speaker 1: Oh I love that, And that is such a little secret weapon right there. So now I know, outside of you know, helping people with you know, let's say I meet another tech person, outside of helping people with technology, what keeps you busy? It's such an easy way to get them to open out to function.
Speaker 9: Let's say your wife is there, so I don't know her either, obviously, but I don't want to dismiss her. Often people when I'm with my husband, who I don't share his last name, and he happens to be a doctor, so he gets all that energy. Right, You're fine. I don't need to tell you what I do for a living. That's all great. But what I observe is people never say to me. They don't want to say what do you do because they're worried I don't do anything? Okay, So but if I had that wonderful opportunity to meet your wife, I would say, what keeps you busy? Outside of being dragged to these events with your husband?
Speaker 1: I love it. See, look at I just got two things that I wish I knew all week long.
Speaker 9: Thank you Rich.
Speaker 1: Okay, Deborah, we're going to leave it there. Deborah Fine, author of the Fine Art of Small Talk. How to start a conversation, keep it going, build networking skills, and leave a positive impression. It was recently updated this year, so go ahead and check it out on Amazon. I think we got some great takeaways from this conversation, Deborah, and now I cannot wait from a next event.
Speaker 9: Thanks for finding me, Rich all right er, thanks.
Speaker 1: For being on todayppreciate it. Even though you knock to the Lakers, that's okay, we won't hold it again.
Speaker 9: You guys, just you have no shame out there. The NBA champions Okay, we're done.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks Deva, appreciate it. Thank you, oh Deva Fine on Amazon. My pretty sure said they have one championship. This is not sports talk, so you know I'm I'm already above my pay grade here. All right, coming up, we're gonna take more of your calls at Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Remember that takeaway outside of what brings you here? What keeps you busy? I love that you. We're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you at Triple eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I feel like our conversation, our small talk conversation went off the rails the end there, So uh, Deborah was a good sport. All right, let's go to Angel in Gardena, California. Angel. You're Ama Fritch, Thank you Rich, big fan of yours question.
Speaker 10: And my wife works as a factory where it's really noisy. She uses airphones to get this stress level down, just to listen to music. But recently they told all the workers not to use their phones are at work to make calls while they're working. So they told her not to use airphones anymore unless they are only for music. I've been looking for bluetooth airphones that don't have a phone, and I haven't been able to find anything that connects to and Android phone. Is there any help you can give me?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. Most people want the uh want the microphone.
Speaker 10: Yes, I know, but you know they want to get intro so yeah, no, I understand that.
Speaker 1: And she doesn't want to use a wired one either, right, No, no.
Speaker 10: Because there's type of work it's better for her to use wireless Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to find a couple of headphones. Now I don't have experience with these headphones, so I can't tell you if they're good or not. Some of them do have good ratings, but most of the time, and I will, I will pull a friend that I have that knows more about this than I do, because they test all the different earbuds. So I will, I will mention that and get get to you with that. But uh, for now, the the ones that are coming up, because ninety nine percent of earbuds have a microphone, especially the wireless ones, and I think wired, you're gonna easily be able to find a pair of wired earbuds. Like if you want something that's super cheap, Moondrop Quarks. These are highly rated, and these have no microphone for thirteen bucks. The problem is most phones like you alluded to, don't have a headphone jack anymore. So if she wants one with a headphone jack and just wants a wired pair of earbuds, Moondrop Quarks, they are thirteen bucks, highly rated, no microphone on those whatsoever. Now, when it comes to Bluetooth, I found let's see here, I found two pairs, one I'm trying to see if this one has a microphone or not. This one, I think does not have a microphone. It looks like it's twenty bucks and it's a company called Ja Rabbit and it looks like they're sold at Walmart, so that could be an option. But the one that is a little bit more well known ISO tunes and these are called free two point zero listen only, but these are expensive. These are one hundred and twenty dollars. So I'm trying to find from some of the companies that I know, like Belkin that makes earbuds Monoprice, if they make a solution without the microphone built in, and I'm just not finding them. So I see the frustration here because these are not easy to find. But here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna pull my friend. She reviews all of the earbuds for Wirecutter, and I'm going to see what she comes up with, because I guarantee she's got something and I will mention it on next week's show. Angel or actually you know what, have Kim, get your phone number and your text or your email and I will definitely get in touch with you directly, and if you are listening, and you have a suggestion of earbuds that are Bluetooth that you love that do not have a microphone. Let me know hello at richon tech dot TV and I'll get it into the feedback section of the show. Good question. That's a tricky one. That's a very complicated one, something that you know takes a little research to find out. Let me tell you about Rivian.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Rivian is the company that makes electric cars. They came out with an electric pickup truck first, and then they came out with an electric suv. They're very popular, but they are very expensive. I've test driven them. These are sort of like rugged vehicles. Amazon's a big investor in this company, and they're very, very nice, and I've seen more and more of them on the roads, at least here in the California area. But they are now saying, you know what, we are going to use Tesla's supercharger network. So they signed an agreement this week to provide Rivian drivers access to Tesla's super charger network. That's a huge deal. Now they say they're going to continue to expand their own what they call Adventure network. But last I checked, they did not have a lot of chargers with that network, and they're putting them mostly in places like national parks and things like that. So here's the deal. The folks that already have a Rivian R one T and an R one S that's their truck R one, get it our Rivian one truck, Rivian one suv. They will be able to get an adapter to charge on Tesla's supercharger network as early as spring twenty twenty four, and then starting with their twenty twenty five vehicles, they are going to have the Tesla charger built in, so you know, the charging port is going to be Tesla's, so if you pop this thing open, it's going to look like a Tesla charger. It's called the North American Charging Standard, which I find so ironic that Tesla came up with that name way way long ago, and now it actually is becoming the North American Charging Standard. Why because in recent weeks we had GM was the first to say, you know what, we're just going to go ahead and use Tesla's charging infrastructure and their charge report, and then Ford said, you know what, that's a good idea. We're going to do the same exact thing. So now We've got two three companies that are all using Tesla's supercharger network, which I know some Tesla owners are probably not too happy about that because now they're thinking, oh, great, does this mean these chargers are going to be a lot more crowded. Yeah. Probably, but this is going to be a slow process. But what we're seeing here is, at least in the US, the Tesla charging standard is becoming the standard. So Tesla is winning the format war when it comes to how we are going to charge our cars in the future. And the fact that three major companies are now going to use these chargers in their car and that they can access that supercharger network, who's going to be next? I guarantee other companies will fall in line with this, because you don't want to be left out at this point. And now, if you're choosing a car, yeah, you probably want that ease of charging. All right. If you have a question, give me a call Triple eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out talking technology with you at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You are lighting up the phone lines today. Do appreciate that?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm on TV as well, So if you want to check out my TV segments where I cover a variety of tech topics, just go to Rich on tech dot TV. While you're there, you good follow me on social media. I'm on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. What did I post this week? Uh? Let's see, Well, not much. I guess I was on kind of out of town, so I did post a lot of stories, so you can check those out while you're on my Instagram. All right, let's kick off this hour with uh, let's see Barbara in Manta Bello. Barbara, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Rich, Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Thanks for calling in.
Speaker 7: This will be regarding the victrola stream Onyx record player that is supposed to work well with soos. Yes, yes, I'm interested in purchasing it, but I do want to know does it work uninterrupted excuse me, with unwired speakers or do I have to actually wire solo speakers to it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Good question. So do you do you not have a Sono system or do you expect to set.
Speaker 6: One up with us if I have quite a system already, and based on you lucking it so much, I tried my first SOS and I've been hooked ever since.
Speaker 1: Oh it's such a great system, So this will work. Now when you say wired versus wireless, what do you mean exactly?
Speaker 7: Well, I've read that. Say, for instance, I could just play it without hooking it up to any actual SOS.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as I understand, that's the way it works. So when I was given the demo of this at CES, they is completely wireless, so it will connect to your son speakers via Wi Fi and all you have to have is one. You probably need a recent Do you have a recent Sono speaker? Yeah, okay, so if you have a recent son No speaker, it should be just fine. It will connect over Wi Fi. And that's why this is a little bit more expensive than similar record players. But this is completely wireless, and the fact that it works with sons, it is certified, so it's not like a you know, kind of where they're just kind of shoehorning it in. This is actually made to work with Sonos. So I think this would be a great addition to your collection if you don't mind spending the six hundred dollars to buy it.
Speaker 6: Well, actually they have one that's a little bit less now, the onyx or. I'm hoping with Amazon sale, maybe I can pick one up.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's a good I like. I like how you think. So, yeah, there are two versions of this, but there is a difference between them. So let me see. I need to look and refresh myself with this whole situation. So there is the carbon and then okay, the carbon is the more expensive one, and then the stream is the less expense. I've got it. Okay, so the carbon is a little bit more, little fancier, but for six hundred dollars. Yeah, this thing. I've been tracking the price on this for a while. It has not gone down, so I hope that you're right. The only thing I did see when I went to the website is there isn't a ten percent off if you put your email address into the website. So if worse comes to worse, if you can't get this thing on sale during Prime Day, you can put the email address and get ten percent off, which will take sixty dollars off. But we do know the ways to track Amazon purchases, so if you want if you haven't your eye on something on Amazon. We'll probably talk about this a little bit later because we're going to talk about Prime Day. But what I do is I either add it to my cart to be able to watch the price over the time, or you can there's actually a couple of ways. There's an extent called Honey which you can add things to your wish list on there and it will give you an email when the price drops. Then there's something called Camel Camel, I know, such a weird name, but you can put a price in there an Amazon like a link to an Amazon product, and it will send you an alert when that price changes. And then finally Google, actually, if you're using Google Chrome, they have a feature where they will track prices as well, so you can track prices on Google Chrome itself. I find that that is a little bit hit or miss. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a little price tracker shows up, other times it doesn't. So right now, if I click on this Victrola stream ONYX, if I click up in the URL, I'll see a little bell that says track price. So now if I click that, it says you're tracking this product. This page is saved in other bookmarks, and it will alert you on your phone or in Chrome if that price drops. So those are a couple different ways of doing it. But Barbara, you know I have my eye on this thing. So now I'm tracking the price. Now I'm wondering if this is going to go on sale for Prime. The only thing I said about my whole record experience was that I didn't like how they only last for like twenty minutes. I'm so used to just unlimited music all day long. So great question there. All right, if you have Visible, this is kind of an issue. If you have Visible, they, according to nine to five, Google, are disabling auto pay if you're on one of these older plans. So for about a year now, Visible, which is owed by Verizon, has been transitioning to two new plans that apparently give you better five G coverage, but you have to switch your simcard out. So you've probably gotten some emails about this. Maybe you've had to figure this out and do it. But the price that you have to uh the plan that you have to switch to also has a higher price. It's about five dollars more a month. So it used to be twenty five, now it's thirty all, oh, they're giving you a temporary five dollars discount, so couple of things. And I guess the author of this article uses Visible, so that's why they're interested in this. But I thought it was interesting because a lot of people do use Visible, but their messaging has gotten more urgent, telling customers through texts and emails that your service is going to be disconnected. So the most dramatic part of this whole thing is that Visible's website now gives you a notification that autopay will be disabled as part of this switch. So basically, they're forcing you to take notice because you will have to log into the website to pay your bill. So any payment due on or after July one, twenty twenty three, if you're still on this old plan, must be made manually. And because autopay payments are processed two days before, autopay will be disabled as of June twenty ninth, which means if you don't pay your auto pay, you're not going to have your service. So they're trying to force you into doing this. Now, here's the thing. If you're on this original plan, you have to do something by September because this old plan I guess this network will be shut down in September. What network are they talking about? Because Visible uses five G and four G. I don't know. It's kind of an odd thing, but the reality is, if you are using Visible and you're getting all of these messages, it's probably best to just go ahead and do the switchover. So if you have to get a new SIM card, tell them, hey, you know, I'll take the new SIM. You pop it in your phone and it works. If your phone supports eSIM, it's probably easier just to access the eSIM and just upgrade that way. But Visible could be hit or miss. I mean, I really like the pricing, but they've made a lot of changes in recent years to you know, it's good. It's a good option, but I know reviews are hit or miss on this thing. And then United doing something cool. United has a new mobile app feature that will be a lot more useful if your travel plans are disrupted. So starting now, if you've ever been on a flight that is changed or delayed, you have to go in this giant line to help you get options for delays and cancelations, and you have to stand there with a whole bunch of people who are also delayed and or canceled, and they may give you a voucher, they may give you a different flight, they may rebook you. But now, and I don't know why this wasn't a thing before, you'll get a text notification if you're on one of these flights that is interrupted, and it will bring you to the mobile app Orunited dot com and if your reservation is impacted, you will get the ability to rebook your flight or get a new flight, track your bag, see where they are, or you'll get a voucher. And this is the big important part is that they will now give you vouchers through the app, so you can get a hotel, meal or ride share voucher if you're eligible. And that's really important because I remember my son and I were delayed, delayed, delayed, delayed, And this is for flights that are delayed I think more than sixty minutes. Yeah, when a flight is delayed by more than sixty minutes or canceled, this is when you're going to automatically see this new option for delaying cancelations inside the United app. But my son and I were delayed, and this was before this obviously, and he was like four at the time, I think, long story short, it just kept getting more and more delayed. It was so annoying. We ended up getting on the plane. We had to get off the plane because like something happened with the airplane. And I said, you know what, enough is enough? I called in. Everyone was lining up. I called in and I said, you know what, you got to book us on a different flight, and by the way, i'd like first class. And I'm not kidding. I actually got disconnected from the agent on this call, which was ironic, but I'm not kidding. When I looked at my app, I miraculously saw that our itinerary had been refreshed and my ticket was rebooked and we were in first class. And that is probably one of my favorite stories. And that person will never get a thank you because I don't know who they were or their name or anything like that. And they didn't even tell me that they did this. But it was such a nice gesture because I asked for it. They didn't really fight me on it, and we actually got disconnected. They could have just literally waited till I called back, and they didn't. They proactively gave us what I asked for without even telling me and then when I got on the plane, I was pleasantly surprised. And my kid will never stop talking about that. By the way, he said, hey, Dad, can we get the every time we fly now? Can we get that seat where you get the free chicken? Remember we got that free chicken that whole meal. I said, yes, son, that doesn't happen very often. That was a fluke anyway, United thanks for making it easier when folks are delayed or canceled. All right, coming up next in this hour, we are going to talk to Julie Ramhold. She is the consumer analyst with Deal News. She's going to talk Amazon Prime Day Plus. We have time for some more of your questions at Triple A rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up. You are sitting in the seat that gives you a free chicken. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here at Triple eight rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. It's been quite the show so far. Let's see if you listen to the podcast of this show, which I know some of you do, uh do me a favor and rate and review it and share it with your friends. Let them know that you listen to this show and why you listen. If you listen on the radio, take a screenshot of you listening or a picture, anything, just to let folks know that you do indeed listen and that will help grow the show. All right, let's go to uh Gary, Gary's in Redondo Beach. Gary, you're on with.
Speaker 11: Rich Hey, Rich, Hey, love show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 11: Checking out the new Max book Air fifteen inch okay, and that friend of mine I was saying, oh, this sounds good, I should get it, and a friend of mine said that it's the fifteen inches new.
Speaker 8: But the M.
Speaker 11: Two chip is it's going to be outdated soon by the M three or whatever chip they're working on next. So I wonder what your thought is about that.
Speaker 1: Well, that is true. But here's the thing. I mean, what are you doing on this computer?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 11: Just zoom meaning nothing big, nothing, you know, earth shattering, just personal use. I just like Apple products better than than the PC's or Microsoft.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the M two chip was released on June sixth, twenty twenty two, so that is over a year old. It is in this new MacBook Air. And it's a little confusing because I think number one, this MacBook Air has gotten incredible reviews. So I think there is absolutely no reason and not to get this. And the problem is your your friend is right, and you know the M two chip is is your friend? Do they happen to not like Apple in general?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, they have all Apple Okay, so they're kind of an Apple expert. I mean. So the thing is, it's tough to say that you shouldn't get this because when they come out with the new MacBook Air fifteen inch next year, they're probably going to use a chip that is older as well. Because the whole reason they're able to offer this at this price is because they're using a chip that has been around for a bit. Now, if we look at the facts, Number one, they didn't announce an M three this year, so we don't have an idea that they're going to come out with an M three MacBook next year. Now, they could do that, and you may buy this, and you may be frustrated and say, Rich you led me astray, like why'd you do that? But I think that for what you need out of this computer, this computer is going to serve you pretty well. If you're doing something like if you told me to video edit or something like that, I would definitely recommend that you move up to a pro system which definitely has the newer chips. So, for instance, I've got the MacBook Pro fourteen inch, which I immediately regretted because this is too small, but it has a M two pro chip which came out a little bit later, and it came out in this notebook. So but the fifteen inch MacBook Air, I know it has some of the older chips in it, but these chips are still really good. And when you look at what Apple does from start to finish with their software and their power efficiency and these chips, I mean, this is going to be a really good system for the price that they're asking for. Have you decided on how much memory you would get in this thing, because that's kind of the big question.
Speaker 11: I wanted to get one parabyte.
Speaker 1: And what about the RAM Okay, So I think that's a good decision. I think the because I think the base is eight right right, yeah, So I think the sixteen is probably going to help keep this thing faster longer than getting the base storage on the Apple always does this weird thing where they've got a good price at the beginning, you know, the entry level device, but if you pay just a little bit more, you're going to get a lot more out of that device. So I think that's smart. So I say, Gary, go for it. I understand that it's a little bit older technology inside, but it doesn't mean it's bad technology, and it doesn't mean it's outdated technology. So for what you're using it for, I think you'll be pretty happy.
Speaker 11: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, Gary, I appreciate you calling in today. Have a great day you too, all right. Yeah, that's always a tough thing with Apple products, is the timing of things. When do you get it? You know, I always think of Apple products as like you kind of have to get it like the first day it comes out, because they've got a time frame on them of like a year before they come out with the new version of it. So the website that I like to go to and for Gary, this could probably be helpful too, even though the fifteen inch mac Book Air is sort of in a class of its own. But the website I like is called Buyer's Guide by MacRumors, So if you go to buyers Guide dot MacRumors dot com, they have listed every single product that Apple makes and they tell you buy now, caution, don't buy, or neutral. So if you're looking at maccomputers, for instance, the fifteen inch MacBook Air since it just came out, is buy now. The thirteen inch MacBook Air is caution. And the reason why it's caution is because you can look at the release dates of this product in the past March twenty fifteen, June twenty seventeen, October twenty eighteen, July twenty nineteen, March twenty twenty, November twenty twenty, and it does an average of how many days between those releases, which is four hundred and forty six days between new thirteen inch back MacBook Airs, and right now it's been three hundred and fifty one days, So that tells you that in another one hundred days they're would be a new thirteen inch MacBook Air. Is it always perfect, Absolutely not, But it's a good kind of gauge to see if you should spend your money on something, and if you are going to spend your money on something, perhaps it should be a little bit discounted. So, for instance, if you look at the new home pod buy now HomePod Mini Neutral. It's been nine hundred and eighty four days since they released the home Pod Mini, so I think that one is up for a refresh, even though we have no history to go by, because that's the first product in that cycle. So anyway, the website is Buyer's Guide dot MacRumors dot com. Again, I put all of these notes on my website. Rich Ontech dot tv is the place to go.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're gonna talk Amazon Prime Day. Amazon Prime Day is back on July eleventh and twelfth. Are you ready? Is your wallet ready? Julie Ramhold, consumer analysts with dealnews dot com. We'll join me next to talk Amazon Prime Day twenty twenty three. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Amazon Prime Day coming back July eleventh and twelfth, Amazon says, will we be big savings Amazon exclusive deals and celebrity product launches. Who doesn't love a good celebrity product launch. Joining me now to talk about this is Julie Ramhold, consumer analysts with dealnews dot com. Julie, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 12: About Prime Day.
Speaker 1: Yes, so Prime Day is this? Is this in the cadence of sort of past Prime Days? I feel like it's in It's been in like July and October, right pretty much.
Speaker 12: It's been in July for the most part.
Speaker 13: In twenty twenty it shifted to October because of the pandemic, and then.
Speaker 12: In twenty twenty one it was in June and October.
Speaker 13: In June, I want to say, the reasoning was because of the Olympics that year, so they were trying to not compete with that, and then they had a second Prime Day event in October.
Speaker 1: So what do we think of the Prime Day event? I know it's a you know, there are a lot of people that shop on it. Do you feel like it's delivered in recent years to you know, be this big shopping day or what.
Speaker 12: I honestly think it has.
Speaker 13: I mean, every year we tend to see people complaining that it seems like a garage sale, but also every year Amazon manages to knock it out of the park and have record profits and record shopping.
Speaker 12: So obviously people are still attracted to it. They're still finding good deals, and I think part of.
Speaker 13: The problem with people who may not be really familiar with Prime Day is they go in expecting it to be sort of like an early Black Friday preview, and it can be, but it's also just its own So you end up with people expecting to see tons of TVs on sale, and then they're disappointed that the selection isn't as big as they hoped for, or a lot of the deals seem to be in the home.
Speaker 12: And garden categories because that seems to be what dominates for Prime Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, everyone wants what they want to be fifty percent off, and that's just not the case. I mean, they couldn't do that. But I did get that TV. I don't know if it was last year, the year before the TV that was like ninety nine bucks the forty three inch or whatever it was. I did get that. I nabbed it and I was so proud of myself. But my followers on social media were not happy because they're like, how did you get it? And we didn't. I said, well, I'm on my computer all day.
Speaker 13: They're bringing that back again this year, but the problem is they're also introducing invite only deals and that's one of them. So it's looking like this Prime Day, while very similar to past ones, is also.
Speaker 12: Going to shake things up a bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what does that mean? What's this? I already signed up for the invite only Prime deal on that TV. But what does that mean? Like, are they do I guarantee? I don't know, Like what does that mean exactly?
Speaker 13: We're honestly kind of waiting to see what it means ourselves. As Amazon puts it, you know, if you're a Prime member, then you can sign up for an invitation, and if you're selected on Prime Day, you'll receive an email with a special link that you can click and shop the deal from there. But signing up for an invitation isn't a guarantee, and we don't know what their selection process is going to look like. So it could be that they have a limited number of deals that they're you know, willing to sell at this price, and by having people sign up for invitations, it's on a first come, first serve thing, or it could be some other way that we just haven't even fathomed yet.
Speaker 1: So they could just put everything into like a hopper and say, Okay, we're going to select one hundred people to buy this and then once you get that, you can purchase it, and if they don't purchase it, and within that, we don't know how it's going to work exactly. But the the invite only deals are seventy five percent off an Amazon Fire TV forty three inch, sixty percent off this watch, fifty five percent off these JBL Live noise canceling headphones, and fifty percent off a four yo Luna three facial cleansing brush, which I know sounds funny, but my wife actually needs a new one of those, So I need to sign up for that invite only.
Speaker 12: It was hard to see that one on there.
Speaker 13: I gotta be honest, like, I know those are cult favorites for a lot of people, and I.
Speaker 12: Was like, oh, fifty percent off, that sounds good.
Speaker 13: And then I saw the original price and I was like, man, you better jump home.
Speaker 12: Fifty percent off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was one hundred and twenty dollars when I purchased the first one. I think those things are not cheap. Okay, So we know this happens July eleventh, at starting starting at three am. Oh wow, that's early three am Eastern.
Speaker 12: That's the way Amazon does Prime Day.
Speaker 13: They'll they'll start it at around three am Eastern on July eleventh, and then it'll run for forty eight hours straight and at two fifty nine am Eastern on the thirteenth.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I know deal News is a great website for finding sort of every do you guys scour the web every day looking for the best stuff, and of course you'll do that for Prime Day, But give me some what's the methodology, Like, what should I do as an average consumer to prepare myself for this and to get the best deals.
Speaker 13: Honestly, when it comes to something like Prime Day, it can be so overwhelming if you don't go in with a plan. So I think it's well worth kind of creating a wish list now for Prime Day, figuring out what you want to look at, what you want to focus on, and then start looking ahead.
Speaker 12: You can go to the Today's.
Speaker 13: Deals section on Amazon's website and start browsing through upcoming deals and mark any that you're interested in as watching. And I mean you can do this every day. You obviously don't have to wait for the Prime Day deals, and there are some early Prime Day deals that you can take advantage of now, But when it gets.
Speaker 12: Closer to the actual holiday.
Speaker 13: It definitely pays, you know, a day or two in advance to start looking through them long before they pop up, so you kind of know when you need to be aware what you're looking at, what kind of deals you can hopefully expect. The biggest thing is when you click watching on those deals, you'll be able to receive a notification from Amazon just before it goes live, so it should give you a leg up and hopefully let you get something before it has a chance to sell out.
Speaker 1: Now, everyone wants something different out of this. But one thing that is for sure is that Amazon Devices and I talk a lot about technology. They often go on sale in a very big way, and of course they've said some of these things already, like deals starting Oh deal starting now, save up to fifty five percent on select Alexa enabled devices, including the Echo Show five, the Echo Pop sixty three percent off up to on kids devices, Echo Glow Ring bundles, euro Wi Fi systems, blink outdoor cameras. So I feel like if you have your eye on an Amazon product, like a brand, you probably don't want to buy that right now.
Speaker 13: No, I would wait unless there is an early Prime Day deal going for something like that. Just because they're not likely to offer a better deal when the holiday itself rolls around. These early deals are kind of meant to entice shoppers and get them paying attention. So if there's something that you want that's currently on sale labeled as an early Prime Day deal, you can probably go ahead and safely take advantage of that and not worry about seeing a lower price when July eleventh rolls around. But that said, don't just restrict yourself to things like Ring and Eero and the Blank cameras and the Alexa enabled devices, because if it has Amazon's branding on it, there's a really good chance we'll see some kind of a deal. So if you're looking at a new Kindle, it's a really good time to look at things like that, And because is for Prime members, it's also a really good time to look at Amazon services as well. So if you're looking at a new Kindle, it's also a good time to try Kindle Unlimited for you know, all the reading that you could possibly want, and see if you like that service enough to stick with it month to month.
Speaker 1: And there's also obviously Alexa can help you with this, so it says Prime members can ask Alexa for deal notifications on products added to their wish list, So that's kind of cool. So you can say, Alexa add whatever product to my car and then ask Alexa to notify you about the deal when it's live. And you'd also ask Alexa for an event reminder, so you can say, Alexa set a reminder for Prime Day and that will help you. What do we make of the price of Prime these days? It's one hundred and thirty nine dollars a year or fifteen dollars a month. Is that still worth it?
Speaker 13: Julie, It's it's going to be a little hard to say. There's no easy way to say, yes, it's worth it. No, it's not, because it's going to be subjective based on individuals and what they want out of Prime. Basically, if you're using everything that Prime offers, I would say it's still worth it. But if you're only kind of leaning into Amazon for the shopping.
Speaker 12: Capabilities, it's probably good to.
Speaker 13: Have Prime for a month to shop for Prime Day or around Black Friday something like that, to take advantage of deals and the perks that Prime members get around shopping during those times. But other than that, it just may not be reasonable to pay one hundred and thirty nine dollars a year if you're not also taking advantage of the Amazon Music, the Prime Video, all of those different parts that you get.
Speaker 1: One thing to keep in mind, if you are on government assistance, you can get Prime Access for six ninety nine a month at Amazon dot com slash get Prime Access. Julie Ramhold with dealnews dot com, thanks so much for joining me today. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, and deal News is, by the way, one of my stops. Every single day, I check it with all of my bookmarks to see what deals are out there. So they do a great job every day of unearthing deals, not just on Prime Day. All right, coming up, it's the end of the show. We're gonna do the feedback segment, so we'll do that when we come back next Right here, you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, closing out the show with the feedback segment. You love sending these emails to me at Hello at Richontech dot tv. We're still looking to help Angel. Angel was looking for some earbuds for his wife that do not have a microphone. So if you have a good pair of these. Let me know. Hello at richontech dot TV. I pinged my friend over at Wirecutter. We'll see what she has to say about it. Let's see what else. Steve writes in Hey, Rich, I heard her call on your show. The caller asked if Salesforce would be a good platform for his college age daughter to learn salesforce has changed in recent times. It's one of those career things that's been flooded by all the companies offering training programs to get people certified as salesforce administrators. Even with certification, you're not going to get a job as an administrator without several years experience working as an administrator. The training programs, of course, won't tell you this, as they're making money from selling their training programs. My wife has five Salesforce certifications with three years of experience, and it's it was still difficult to get a job. Many jobs want more than just salesforce. It's not something that just anyone can do, as the training programs advertise. Steve. Oh, great advice. Steve, appreciate that because that's probably what our caller saw was Salesforce. Well, he said he had it at his company. So, but good advice. Yeah, these training programs don't necessarily mean you're going to get a job. So I think that's why for me personally, I would look at jobs that i'd want to do and see what the skills are that they want. Jim writes in Hey, Rich, I'm looking for that Amazon gift card hack that involves Amazon gift card car. I was watching KTLA the other morning and the discussion was gift card balances. You mentioned a way that you can load your Amazon account with your gift cards. How's this done? I can't find a way to do this, Thanks and advance, Jim. Yes, so this is specifically for Amazon gift cards. So if you are sorry Visa gift cards. So if you get one of these Visa gift cards, let's say it's one hundred dollars, fifty dollars, it's really tough to use unless you use that full amount all the same time, you're going to be left with some weird sort of balance on that card of like five dollars and seventeen cents, And how do you use that? Because a Visa card, it's not a standard gift card like an Amazon card or like a shopping gift card that's easy to use at the register. Now, some companies will easily figure out how much is on this card and let you scan it and use it. But I found, honestly, it's much easier to skip that entire process and just go to Amazon. And here's what I do. You go to Amazon, you set the Visa gift card as a payment method, and then you type in and buy a reload account. Reload account with an Amazon gift card, okay, and then you go to It'll be right at the top reload Amazon gift card, and you say exactly how much you want, So whatever exact amount is on that Visa card, you type it in there and you say buy now, and you make sure that you use that Visa gift card that you just put in as a payment method as the payment method for this new Amazon reload and next thing you know, it will shift that money from the Visa card to an Amazon gift card. And that's much easier to spend because if you're like me, you're on Amazon all the time. Now, I found that sometimes it takes a little bit of time and it may not work instantaneously, so it's not like if you're buying a gift card. Sometimes it will it will work fast. This may take five to ten minutes, sometimes I've noticed, and sometimes it doesn't work at all, depending on the brand of the Visa gift card. So again, you take the Visa gift card, you set it as a payment method, and then you enter that exact amount and buy a gift card to reload your Amazon gift card balance and boom, you've transferred that balance. So good question there. Hey Rich From Paul in Santa Clarita. Quick question, I have many passwords. What are your thoughts on a password manager? If you think they're good, can you recommend one? Are they as secure as they say they are? Absolutely, Paul, use a password manager, get all your passwords in there. I know it's tough to get it set up, but definitely definitely use when they are secure. Make sure you pick a good, strong password for the password manager, and then set up two factor authentication for the password manager. If you are just using Apple products, you can get away with the iCloud keychain. If you're using Apple products and Chrome, then I recommend just using the built in Google password manager because that'll work on an iPhone And if you're using a bunch of different devices than use a cross platform password manager. I like bitwarden as a free option, and then you can check out one Password and dash Lane. Those are two good cross platform password managers, but you will have to pay for those typically art rights in Hey, Rich, please post the travel carbon monoxide detector. You put it on Facebook reels and then it disappeared. There's probably a lot of interest for it. Someone mentioned on a work call today about getting one for travel, and I told them I would send them the info and the one you recommended. Yes, I posted this to Facebook my Instagram stories. Really sad story about the couple from southern California that passed away in a hotel room down in Mexico due to carbon monoxide supposedly, so it might be a good idea to carry one of these things. So I asked my friend Zach Hoenig. He used to work at the Points. Guy knows everything about travel, and he recommended this kitty carbon monoxide detector that's battery powered and has a low battery indicator, which is smart, It's portable, and it's twenty bucks. So I'll put that link in the show notes as well. Tech dot TV. Let's see Erica says, good morning, Rich, I received this weird text. It's probably a scam. Thanks, and the text says Hi, I'm Donovan Summerfield, the Walton Family Grant Foundation Admin director. Ooh, you are chosen to receive ten thousand dollars from the ongoing program aimed at touching lives. Kindly text your email for confirmation and delivery to this number NOE to receive your payment is free. Yeah, Erica, as you suspected, that is definitely a weird text and it's most definitely a scam. Please watch out for these scam texts. So many my wife got one. Oh gosh, they are just They are really really doing a lot of scam texts these days, so be aware of those. I think we have time for one more. Gale says, hey, Rich, When you did your KTLA segment on air tags, I thought about getting one for a fifteen day vacation. Of course I did not end, so my luggage was lost for ten days. You mentioned some other products that were not as costly as Apple. With another trip in the work, I need to purchase AirTags and would appreciate your recommendation. Truly enjoy your segments. Gail Gail, listen to the advice the first time around, because I'm telling you I get emails like this all the time. Just do it when you think you don't need it, do it because that's when you need it. I would recommend AirTags for sure. They are the best solution at this point. Later in the year I may change my tune on that when there are more standards for these things, but air tags are the best. You said sent for my iPhone. Go for the air tags. The four pack goes on sale from time to time. You've got Prime Day coming up. Search Google for AirTag deals and see if you can find a deal in that four pack. Sometimes it's discounted, and sometimes Costco has them as well. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks so much for listening to the show that's going to do it for this episode again, this is show number twenty five. You can check out the show notes at richon tech dot tv. I put everything in there that I mentioned. Send your feedback to hello at rich on tech dot tv, and I might just read it on the next show. Next week, I'm going to tell you about a website that can help you rent out your backyard pool. But they're also now doing tennis and pickleball. So if you want to make some extra cash or just find a place to swim or play, you can do that again. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. My name is rich Dedmiel. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here to make with me. Thanks to everyone who makes the show possible, including Bobo's getting married next week. Congratulations. I'll talk to you real soon.