Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're talking about what it means to be a financial feminist and why it's so important to get money into women's hands.
Speaker 1: It's Monday, June tenth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 3: And I'm Simone Voice, and this is the bright side from Hello Sunshine, Danielle. It's Monday, and it is time to kick off the week with some food for thoughts. These are the stories that make us curious. They motivate us and give our mondays a little fresh perspective. You know, shall we get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, mine is kind of silly, but just bear with me, Okay. So I saw this article in Pop Sugar. Headline reads why am I obsessed with sitting in my car for long periods of time? And when I read that, I felt so seen because I realized sitting in my car is like a form of therapy, something about shutting the doors.
Speaker 1: There's like soundproofing. No one can get in. It's just me.
Speaker 3: I get to just do whatever I want. I feel autonomous. And apparently this is a phenomenon that a lot of other people engage in too. Does that resonate with you at all? Do you sit in your car like a weirdo like me.
Speaker 2: I will be right in front of my driveway sitting in my car. I could just go right. And I don't have kids or a husband. It's quiet in my house, but I will just sit in my car.
Speaker 1: There's something just very warm. And I don't know. You're right. Everything you said is right. I don't know the science behind it, but you're totally right. I don't even know if there is any science behind it. I mean, here's what a psychotherapist said who is part of this article. She said, the sitting in your car allows for a moment to decompress, process your day, prepare yourself mentally for what's next. I mean, yeah, of course we know that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it's a controlled environment, so it does. Maybe that's what it is. It provides this sense of control and safety. The car is parked, you're not moving, nothing can hurt you, nothing can get in or get out.
Speaker 1: It's just great. It's so underrated as a form of self care.
Speaker 2: It's so relatable, Like I know so many women in particular that do this.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: That would be a good question, like would we just find men sitting in their car to take a few minutes to themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, it's so funny, Okay, Simone. Over the weekend I read an article in The Cut about ambition. And we talk about ambition and drive so much on this show. But it really got me thinking because over the last few months there have been tons of rumors about j Lo and Ben breaking up, that they're allegedly on the rocks. The writer of this article uses that as an entry point to a larger conversation, and it basically comes down to is j Loo too ambitious? Everybody's saying that ambition broke up her marriage, that she chooses work over family. And what I liked about this article was the writer was just saying, I'm done with the conversation around ambition and feminism. We're having the wrong conversation. Ambition isn't good or bad. It's not an either or situation and we've all been looking at it wrong.
Speaker 1: So how should we look at ambition? Then? What's your takeaway from this article?
Speaker 2: My takeaway is that we don't talk about men's ambition it just is, and we constantly talk about women's ambition. Should we lean in? Should we have a seat at the table. And I know why we're talking about it. We're talking about it because historically we haven't had a seat at the table. And I think when it comes to ambition and women, we should start thinking about ambition more broadly. We should open it up to being ambitious about friendships, being ambitious about cooking, being ambitious about whatever it is that lights you up, because it doesn't just have to be associated with work, because men's ambition isn't well.
Speaker 3: I also think that we've never really been good in our society at holding space for two truths at once, and that is what we should be doing with ambition. There's this zero sum mentality that if you're an ambitious woman, you can't be a great mother or great wife, and that's right. It couldn't be further from the truth. Like we are multi dimensional human beings and the same is true for men.
Speaker 1: So I would just love for all of us to embrace a little bit more nuance. Okay, I'm so glad you brought this up, Danielle.
Speaker 2: It's a great article by Jennifer Romalini. I encourage everyone to read it. After the break, I sit down with Tory Dunlap to continue the conversation about feminism, but this time as it relates to money. She's here to tell us why a financial education is a woman's best form of protest.
Speaker 1: That's after the break. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We're back and our guest today is Tour Done lap Aka her first one hundred k on TikTok and Instagram. She's a New York Times best selling author and the host of the podcast Financial Feminist. In three years, Tory went from being just out of college to saving her first one hundred thousand dollars at age twenty five, then launching her own company teaching women financial literacy.
Speaker 1: Today, Tory says she's fighting for.
Speaker 2: Women's financial rights, and she's here breaking down her approach to financial freedom.
Speaker 1: Tory, Welcome to the bright Side. Thank you so much for having me. I'm so excited to be here, Tory. I need to know all the things.
Speaker 2: Take me back to before you were a New York Times bestselling author, before you started your financial literacy platform. How much were you making, what were you paying and rent, what were you saving? What was your approach to making this happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the common misconception is that I was living in my parents' house, eating oatmeal, and never did anything fun, And none of those things were true. I was twenty five, I was in Seattle. I was in a one bedroom apartment that I think was about seventeen hundred dollars a month in rent. I was making about seventy K a year pre tax, and then I had a side hustle where I was making a little bit of money, but I was just diligently saving the entire time. So the process of one hundred K was a couple things. One I always like to acknowledge the privilege that I have. I graduated college debt free, and it wasn't because I have a trust fund, but I got a lot of scholarships. My parents had saved a college fund for me, so we collaboratively were able to pay for college, and so that gave me a huge lead up. The second thing is that I was saving a portion of my take home pay. So anybody listening can do this. You can set up an automatic transfer from your checking account to your savings account. So maybe that's every time you get paid, maybe that's once a month. But I was saving twenty seven percent of my take home pay, and that was immediately before I even saw it just going into savings, and that was an amount I built to over time. I was also investing. Women on average wait longer to invest. The men are don't invest at all, and it ends up costing us literally million of dollars. And it's one of the most powerful things we can do to build wealth. So I opened up a roth I array when I was twenty two and max that out every year. And I still was going to Costa Rica, I was still eating out, I was still you know, having fun in a big city. And so yeah, it was one hundred K. Was the impetus of a lot of the work that I now do, which is teaching women all over the world how to be more financially confident. And it's what I believe I was put on this earth to do, is fight for women's financial rights.
Speaker 2: So you hit your savings goal in twenty nineteen when you were just twenty five years old, and then a year later you launched your own company. Is it true you started with forty dollars?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I started with forty bucks.
Speaker 4: I literally decided, okay, you know, you know tumblr blogs were all raged in you remember that whereas like tumblr blogs were huge and I had always wanted to like blog about life as a twenty something woman, and had put it off for years because I felt like I didn't know enough. I was doing the thing that all women do, which is like it's either perfect or nothing, and like I have to have the perfect website and the perfect logo and the perfect brand name, and I have to know everything I'm talking about, and like none of that is true. So I literally decided one night in December twenty sixteen, I'm like, I'm just going to launch this thing, wrote three blog posts, didn't know how to code, and threw up a website. And so my first two investments in the business were like the website platform and the domain. So it was twenty bucks and twenty bucks and that's how we got started.
Speaker 2: It's mind blowing to think that last year your business hit four million dollars in revenue for product sales.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're doing three to four mili a year. We're on track to do five million just this year.
Speaker 1: Thank god, Wave the Flag.
Speaker 2: What do you think was the most crucial decision you made in getting there?
Speaker 1: Honestly getting on TikTok. Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I started on TikTok in July of twenty twenty, our like fifth video ever went crazy viral and it just it was like rising tide lifts all ships. It was just incredible how quickly our business grew from there. And it was also launching our podcast, Financial Feminist, and the first episode came out and within forty eight hours we were the number one business podcast, and at the time we were the only women hosted, women focused show in the top forty.
Speaker 1: But I think it was those big too.
Speaker 4: It was getting on TikTok and posting regularly and then launching our show sounds.
Speaker 1: To me like self.
Speaker 2: If I were to try and categorize it, it's self enterprising and it's consistency over time.
Speaker 4: It's one hundred percent consistency. Yeah, because I think especially with any you know, if we're talking to anybody who's dreamt of building a business, it's going to be cringey for a while. Like that's something I wish more people talked about, Like you have to post, like you already have a million followers. I remember seeing even a post the other day that was someone like, if you want followers, you have to post, Like if you want to, you know, build a business, you have to build the business. I think it's just so easy for us to say, well, I'm scared of doing it wrong, I'm scared of failing, or I'm scared that I don't know everything I need to know, so I'm just not going to do it.
Speaker 1: But you learn as you go.
Speaker 4: You learn all of the answers to the questions you didn't know you had as you go.
Speaker 2: Your website says having a finance education is a woman's best form of protest. Why is getting money into the hands of women so important?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. Money means options, money means choices.
Speaker 4: And when you look at a really alarming statistic, but I think is the perfect representation of this, ninety nine percent of abusive relationships have some sort of financial abuse tied to them. So when you hear a stat like that, what does that tell you, Well, it tells you that money is used as a form of control, and that money leads to better options and more security and your own autonomy. So when women have money, you can leave a bad situation, whether that's a relationship or a job that you don't want to be in anymore, because you can afford to quit, or you can afford to leave you can afford your own apartment. Having money means you get to donate to causes and people and legislation that you believe in. Having money means you get to start businesses, or to travel, or to have kids or not have kids, or get married or not get married. Every option opens up to you when you have money. And so I believe that we don't have any sort of equality for any marginalized group until we have financial equality, because when we are safe and living a life of abundancy and wholeness, the entire world starts to change. And that is the feeling I want for every single woman on this planet, is the ability to get out of situations she doesn't want to be in, put herself in situations she loves and feel safe in, and more than that, where she absolutely thrives.
Speaker 2: When I have conversations about money with my girlfriends versus my guy friends, it's so very clear to me that women were taught as girls to think about money from a standpoint of budgeting and men were taught to think of it as wealth building. There's a stark difference. And your book offers seven different teachings, so you have principles like earning, investing, debt, even emotions tied to money. But I want to talk about spend. You say something that many financial experts don't say, which is, do not scrimp on the things, go to costa Rica, travel, dine, spend money on plants. Why is it important to identify where we should spend and not feel guilty about it?
Speaker 1: I love this question.
Speaker 4: A lot of the narratives that are given to women about how to be better with money are about how to spend less, and really that means how to hate your life, and it's not actually sustainable and it's not actually good advice. The advice we're giving to men is great advice, which is expand right. Become the fullest version of yourself. Invest in real estate, invest in the stock market, find a better paying job, negotiate your salary. What is the advice to women? Here are five meals you can make under five dollars. Stop buying the latte, stop getting the designer purses or you know, the blowouts of the hair salon. Anything that is innately or like stereotypically feminine is deemed frivolous. Rightous spending frivolous is not NFL season tickets.
Speaker 1: It's not golf clubs. It's not video games.
Speaker 4: So what does that tell me, Well, one, it tells me that the advice we give around money is incredibly gendered. And second, scrimping is not the answer because there's only so much that you can eventually stop cutting. Let's say you do cut everything fun from your life, Well, you still have to pay for your rent, you still have to pay for daycare, you still have to pay for groceries. Right, there's only so much you can cut. But in theory, you're earning potential, or your compound interest potential is limitless. So when it comes to spending, ninety nine percent of diets don't work because the more you tell me I can't have fried chicken, the more I want fried chicken. And that is not willpower, that is literal psychology. So we instead have to find the things that we actually love. So what you're talking about are what I call value categories in the book, identifying the three areas in your life where you get the most joy, because you don't have to stop spending money, but you do have to stop spending money on shit you don't care about. Like we want a piping hot life, we want things that we love and things that light us up. I'm done with lukewarm, Like, I don't want to spend money that I don't really want to spend on things that I don't really like, or to appease people that I don't really care about.
Speaker 1: The appeacement is big, it's huge.
Speaker 4: So for me, those three value categories are travel, food, out, and plants. You can't see it, but I have probably twenty five plants in my office alone. They're my babies.
Speaker 1: I love them. You're a plant debt, you can they truly am.
Speaker 4: So you get to identify, like what those three value categories are and spend pretty unabashedly in those categories so that you can also save and invest and pay off your debt and do all of the advice that we give men but that we don't give women.
Speaker 2: So there's so much inspiration porn out there on the internet, especially with financial experts. I see it all the time. They tell you to dream big, to hustle hard, and very few people tell you in practical terms how to get there.
Speaker 1: Where can someone start? I'm going to give you a scenario.
Speaker 2: Let's assume someone has credit cards, they have a savings account. What are the first three things that they should do to start to build wealth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could go off on a whole tangent about inspiration porn, and I appreciate you bringing that up. Yeah, a lot of people tell you to dream your bid dreams, but they don't tell you actually what to do. And with personal finance in particular, they don't acknowledge that it's about eighty percent your circumstances and twenty percent your personal choices. So you know, there's so many factors that have nothing to do with like how hard you work, or like how smart you are with money. So first one, we talked about it already, automate your savings, automate every part of your financial life, automate your bills, automate a four to one K contribution, but automate your savings. Because our first goal is an emergency fund should be about three months of living expenses in a highielded savings account. And again, setting up that transfer allows you to do it on autopilot without you even having to think about it, which is a great way to save and also not put it off. Second thing is to start identifying, like I said before, what are your value categories and where's your current money going. Is your money going to things you actually love and things that make your life worth living or is it being diluted with just spending because you're trying to feel something. So actually ask yourself, like what money is coming in, what money's going out, and when it goes out, where is it going and does it align with your values and things that actually make your life worth living. And finally, if you are not investing, we need you to start investing. Maybe that's through your four oh and K, which is your workplace sponsored retirement account. If you don't get access to one of those, it's opening up something like a roth IRA, which is an individual account for retirement and doing everything you can to contribute to one of those accounts.
Speaker 2: In your opinion, what is the most common mistake people are making when it comes to their money.
Speaker 4: I can't teach you to pay off debt, I can't teach you to budget, I can't teach you to invest until we start to understand a lot of the emotions and the psychological hang ups that are keeping you from being successful with your money. So as like not fun as it is like you need to do some financial therapy and some like trauma excavation because we don't realize just how linked our emotions and our money are. So one of the biggest mindsets that I see that I think, I just really want to debunk. For women, we often will do the like, well, I'm so bad with money, or I am not good with math, so I'm not good with money, or you know, I didn't know this sooner I keep making mistakes and this is Yeah, money is a skill.
Speaker 1: It's not inherent in our DNA.
Speaker 4: You're not born with the good with money gene or born with the bad with money gene. Like I love saying this because it blows people's minds. I majored in communications and theater in college. Like I didn't major in finance. I technically didn't even major in business. And I am a multimillionaire with a multimillion dollar company that teaches other women how to do this too. Like, it's not about math. It's actually not even you know about your graphs and your charts and your numbers. It's actually about your brain and your body and about understanding goals. And women are really good at setting goals and knocking them out of the park.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about financial transparency in the world The idea is that when we don't share what we make, we're upholding the.
Speaker 1: Systems that keep us down.
Speaker 2: But it can sometimes be a little spicy to share what you make with your coworkers, like it can start a problem.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on this? What are your thoughts on financial transparency?
Speaker 4: The whole talking about money is ghost thing or talking about money is impolite is a narrative that keeps you underpaid and overworked. I will say though that this is again part of the larger conversation about how we view women with money, and again we could do a whole podcast specifically on this. I think that you know, a lot of the conversation has been okay, yeah, be transparent about your salary, negotiate for a raise. But we are not living in a system or a society that allows women the pursuit of wealth. We allow and encourage men to pursue wealth unabashedly. But when a woman asks for what she deserves at work, or when a woman posts you know how much her business charges, the converse is very different. The conversation is why are you charging for your services? You should just do this for free if you really loved it, which is like a good chunk of my Instagram comments. And you know, a lot of the conversations with women negotiating for a raise is like you should just be grateful that you have a job at all. So I think, again, this is where financial transparency is so important. Where we as individuals can make an impact is having those conversations sharing our salary for white women, especially sharing salary with your folks of color and with your coworkers of color. There's this rule called the over or under rule, and it can be a great way of talking about salary without talking about salary. So I might ask you, hey, do you make over under eighty K a year? And you say over? And I go, okay, do you make over under one hundred K a year? And they say under? Okay, Now I just have a better range.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's it's great.
Speaker 4: Eighty to one hundred as opposed to like ninety two, six hundred and twenty seven dollars a year. Right, So that I think is a nice way of having a conversation that doesn't feel so scary. And I think in gener again, talking about money with anybody, even with people we trust, can be really terrifying. Offer vulnerability first, So if you're going to ask somebody to be vulnerable, it's a lot easier if you are vulnerable first. So, hey, I'm trying to figure out what this role should pay. I think the range is X to why or I'm getting paid in my current job, now this kind of rate, what would you suggest?
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that, because the fear of the person sharing is they're going to share the exact number and my boss is going to be mad at me. So you had just eliminated that.
Speaker 4: I will also say you, it is illegal to be terminated for talking about salary at work in the United States. So uh doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it is illegal. And I'll also say too, this is again a lot of the emotional hang ups is we believe our net worth to be our self worth, or we believe our salary to be somehow indicative of like how good we are at our job right or how while we succeed. And we all know literally probably hundreds of people who work so incredibly hard, who are so incredibly intelligent, who don't make a lot of money.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned negotiation.
Speaker 2: I had a mentor of mine one time say to me, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. Yeah, I mean I didn't understand when he said it years ago. I didn't understand how true those words are.
Speaker 1: Oh embroidered on a throw pillow. That's yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: So what is the tool that you share that you think is most helpful in negotiation?
Speaker 4: With negotiations, This is again another mindset shift that is so crucial. This is not a conflict. Negotiating is not an argument. It's not a fight. It's not you putting on your box and gloves and fighting to the death to get what you want. It is a collaboration. It is a collaboration, not a conflict. You and your boss or potential boss are not on opposing teams. You are on the same team trying to solve a problem. And that problem is you not being compensated fairly. And I have a feeling you're really good at your job and you problem solve every day. This is another problem to solve. The other thing is to come with data. You're talking to very data driven people most likely, so your ask needs to reflect that.
Speaker 1: It needs to be.
Speaker 4: This is again we're talking about salaries so great it needs to be not just from like a glass door or like an online aggregator, but also from people you've talked to who can see you as a full three dimensional person. Talk to other people in your industry, talk to coworkers at a previous job, talk to people on LinkedIn, find people you can actually ask, hey, based on what I'm doing, based on my success metrics, what would you price my salary at?
Speaker 1: What would you price my role at? And that way you can present that.
Speaker 4: Data and say, you know, based on the data that I have found for a role similar to this, as well as the accomplishments and the milestones I've hit, I'm looking for a range of X to Y.
Speaker 2: If they say there's no room for negotiation, what's your go to?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, but especially you know post COVID, that seems to be a response more often than not, my response is tell me more about that, Like no, but truly, like, tell me more about that, because I'm trying to understand what for them is the hang up?
Speaker 1: Right? Is it they don't have enough budget?
Speaker 4: Right? Is that actually the thing? Okay, then I'm going to negotiate something else. I'm gonna negotiate my PTO. I'm going to negotiate that I can work from home three times a week. I'm gonna negotiate a better title, which is at no cost to them but sets me up for a better job later. There's other things you can negotiate beside salary. So if it is truly like they are not budgeting, great, But a negotiation is a back and forth, so they might you know, you might ask for the number, and by the way, ask for the number, not the number you want, but a little over the number you want. Because if you're at sixty and you ask for seventy, you're gonna be at sixty five. So we're asking for like seventy two to seventy five to get to seventy. So if they do say, well, we can't do seventy five ago, okay, how about sixty six, sixty six plus at two extra days a ptom And if they still you know, okay, well you know we can do you know, sixty two, okay, sixty five? Right, like, you will eventually get to a point where hopefully you can meet in the middle, and if you can't, one, start looking for another job, and two there's other things you can negotiate beside salar. We actually have in my book an entire list of everything that's negotiable, and it's a lot more than you might think.
Speaker 2: One of the things I really love. I think it gives me great solace that I hear you say is it's never too late?
Speaker 1: Is it never too late to start?
Speaker 4: I truly, both a math and what I know from talking with millions of women, it is never too late to start.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm not the kind of person who's going to blow smoke up your ass? Do I wish you started sooner? Of course, But probably there was a bunch of things that prevented you from starting, including a trillion dollar student loan crisis, and stagnating minimum wages and lack of paid family leave, and like again, all of the other systemic issues. And maybe some of you know your financial mistakes that you might not be proud of. But would you rather have one hundred k for retirement than nothing at all? The stats now that are updated, forty nine percent of Americans over the age of fifty five have nothing saved for retirement.
Speaker 1: Nothing. Wow, So I would rather you have something than nothing? Right? Yes?
Speaker 4: Is one hundred thousand dollars sustainable for your entire retirement? Probably not, But that's better than nothing.
Speaker 2: You ask women what their money personality is. I want to know what your money personality is.
Speaker 1: Oh rich bitch. She's like, she is loving her life.
Speaker 4: I'm turning thirty this year, and the coolest thing is that I again don't have to put up with situations that don't respect me. I don't have to go on a date with somebody who I don't like because I need him to pay the bill. And I will actually throw my credit card down, like twenty minutes in, just because I'm like, no, I don't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 1: I will like that.
Speaker 4: I want to walk away. I don't have to, you know, work with a client that I don't like. I don't have to work a nine to five job or someone I don't respect. And I did that and it sucks. And I also get to protect sixty five year old me. Grandma Torre is like drinking Sabion Blanc with lunch, and she is flirting with her hot pilates instructor that's way younger than she is, and like she is adopting dogs in Italy. She's having a great time, and like, again, this is the feeling I want for every single woman on this planet. Is that feeling of security and that feeling of power, and the world starts to change when women feel that way.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a quick break, but when we come back, Tori tells us how we can make the most of our money.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere, and we're back.
Speaker 2: So we always talk about money moves on the podcast, but it's not every day that we have a financial expert here with us, let alone a financial feminist expert. So, Tori, I'm going to throw out some real life scenarios and I want to get your financial take on them.
Speaker 1: Cool. I'm going to call this the career change.
Speaker 2: So after working in the corporate world, you're considering a complete career change that requires investing in yourself.
Speaker 1: Maybe that means going back to school.
Speaker 2: Maybe it requires taking a pay cut initially, or going without pay at all for a few months. How should you financially prepare for this transition?
Speaker 4: Do everything you can to save while you still have income, so set up that automatic transfer, you know, take advantage of every single benefit your company offers. Often companies will offer like development stipend. You can be sometimes literally getting paid to like learn more. That can set you up not just for success in the current job, but the future job. So yeah, prepare save. This is what I did when I was, you know, preparing to be an entrepreneur. The one hundred k that I saved was literally my provisious slip to quit corporate. That was the amount of money I felt was enough to give me stability and a head start, but also like enough runway where I could see this through. And so that's literally what I did was save and be really strategic to be able to give myself that safety net.
Speaker 2: So you you know what it's like to have a side hustle. What is the best money move when you have a side hustle? Is it investing or paying down debt?
Speaker 4: I think depending on your interest rate, that's the answer. So if you have debt that is over like seven to eight percent interest, that is all credit card debt, by the way, it is actually more advantageous to pay off that debt. But if you have like student loans under seven percent, car loans, mortgages most of those are like under seven to eight percent, it's actually more advantageous to invest. The fun fact that I wish more people knew when you are a side hustler, when you own a business in addition to your.
Speaker 1: Nine to five.
Speaker 4: So if you're a freelancer and you have to have a business license, right, you can actually open a solo four oh one K or what's called a step IRA, which is like a self employed IRA. You have to pick one, but you can contribute to that. So that's one of the reasons I hit my one hundred k is. I had my four to one k at work, I had my roth IRA that was just for me as an individual that pretty much anybody can open up, and then I had my step IRA. So that is one like cheat code that I wish more people knew is that you can actually take a huge chunk of your side hustle earnings and invest them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to talk about a dream vacation. So you've always wanted to take a three month sabbatical to travel the world. How can you financially plan for an extended break without jeopardizing your financial stability.
Speaker 1: So it's all about savings.
Speaker 4: It's all about putting money in something like a highield savings account and allow an interest to work for you, so you can not just save the money, but have the interest accumulate too. And it's also being strategic are you going to cut some of your normal expenses to be able to do this sooner? Like do you want this badly enough? Or you're willing to sacrifice maybe going out to eat as much? Like what sort of expenses are you willing to cut to be able to do the thing that you want to do sooner? And there's also I think a lot more workplaces are being really flexible where Okay, maybe if you can't afford to do three months off totally, maybe you work part time, or maybe there's a way that you can continue with your current job and just be like, hey, can I take three months off and then I'll be back when I'm back. So there's there's ways you can do this without blowing up your entire life. But also if you want to blow up your entire life, like you can get another job, Like if you feel like it's it's really important for you to do this right now, save accordingly. And this is where I love that, like millennials and gen z are really redefining what it means to like retire, so all of us like retirement was sixty five years old Pina Colada in Florida, right, Like it doesn't have to be that, and it can be like many retirements, sabbaticals, it can be you know, remote work or part time work.
Speaker 1: So I love that somebodies even think about that in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Okay, home renovation, this is on a lot of people's minds. So let's say you're considering a major home reno that will significantly increase the value of your property. Should you take out a loan to finance the renovation? Should you use your savings or a combination of both. Yeah, it depends on the interest rate when you're going to take on debt at all. This is where if you're going to take on any sort of loan, personal loan, car loan, mortgage, student loans, credit cards, right, you need to know the terms of that loan and are they actually advantageous to you. I would not use your emergency savings for this. However, if your pipes burst, that's an emergency.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If you are getting a new kitchen because you don't like the one you're in, that's not an emergency. So this is where you know, we might be automating towards a financial goal like retirement or towards our emergency fund. And then maybe you've set up an automatic transfer to go on a separate highyled savings account for the home renovation. But also like I would really crunch the numbers on are you actually going to you like a definitive increase in your property value and all of the other emotional stuff we just said too, Like it's not just about does it financially work, It's like, okay, this is important to you, go ahead and save up for it.
Speaker 2: So there has been a social media debate that has been going on online since twenty twenty one, and the question is would you rather have five hundred thousand dollars or lunch your dinner with jay Z? So Tory, I have to ask you which one would you take?
Speaker 1: This has been the hardest question you've asked. So okay, hold on, I am probably taking dinner with jay Z. I would rather take dinner with Yance, but I'll take dinner with ja Z.
Speaker 4: For me, time is my currency now, and like connections are my currency. It's not about money for me. And again that sounds like, oh good for you, cool, but like I want every single woman to be able to answer it that way if that's what she so chooses.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking that knowing you You're going to take dinner with jay Z and turn it into multi millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: I think you're good, Tory.
Speaker 2: I so appreciate your time and you lift women up both in your work and in your personal life.
Speaker 1: Thank you, that mean so much. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Tory Dunlap is a New York Times bestselling author and the host of the podcast Financial Feminist.
Speaker 1: That's the show Today. We'll be back.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow with Culinary Dynamo author and host Kristin Kish. Listen and Follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: I'm Simone Boye.
Speaker 3: You can find me at Simone Boice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's ro Ba. Y see you tomorrow, folks.
Speaker 3: Keep looking on the bright side.