Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to another edition of the KSR pre Show. Today is Tuesday, April First. I'm Billy Rutledge along with Shannon the Dude. Give us calling the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line. That's eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. Text us at five O two two sixty five sixty six five six and is always The KSR pre Show is brought to you by Itallex Fine Italian Dining in Lexington. My co host is in Louisville, Kentucky. Good morning, Shannon. Happy April Fool's Day.
Speaker 2: That's right, I'm doing fine and no corny April Fool's Day joke for me. I mean I like the prank people, but no like stupid joke, you know what I mean? Like I like the I like physical pranks. I don't mean like physically harming anybody. I just mean like, you know, I might stick a rubber snake in your bag or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, or the whoopee cushion you look like, you know, the whoopee cushion type of guy.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know in wrestling, you know that's a thing in the locker room they call it ribbing. You rib each other with things like that, and uh, there's some guys that love to do some ribbing. When you know you're just sitting around waiting for your match to happen, sometimes somebody will sneak something into your bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I thought about starting the show saying this would be our last show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Radio stations have gotten in some pretty hot water in the past for like contest, Hey, come win a truck when they get there. It's a toy truck, you know what I mean. Like, radio stations are ripe for bad April fool jokes.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, Like if you believe that, though, some of that's on you.
Speaker 1: Because it's the day and you just gotta be aware on day.
Speaker 2: You're like me, like my guard is really high on April Fool's Day, but I don't believe what most people say the other days of the year, So why would I believe you on April Fool's Day. Like I'm skeptical of everybody every day of the year.
Speaker 1: I like that attitude. You just go you go throughout life with that every single day. The problem is, if you don't know it's a April Fool's Day, it can be a really weird time. I already got fulled twice this morning before I knew what the date was.
Speaker 2: Billy.
Speaker 1: The first one said, Devin ask you was transferring to Kentucky. And I maybe should have thought that one was fake Shannon, because he can't come back to Kentucky, right, I mean, I'm surprised that guy's still playing college basketball. And then the other one was Tiger Woods was going to be playing in the Masters just three weeks after tearing his achilles and I wanted to believe that Shannon, and I did for maybe moments. But just keep your head on a swivel, folks. Today is the day I thought I was getting an April Fool's joke when I walked in this morning. You know Rachel right, you've played pickleball again, so.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Rachel Cyril's girls, Rachel Well.
Speaker 1: I walked in and was getting coffee and said good morning to Rachel, and Rachel said, good morning, Billy boy, you look rough this morning. Is everything all right? I was like, yeah, everything's fine. I thought shot April Fools was coming, right Shannon, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, April Fools. Rachel's awesome. By the way, I say, I beat her in pickleball. That's a lot she beat. She beat my button pickleball. She's good. Yeah, well, you know what, at least she's honest with you, though. I mean, do I look that rough this morning? Shannon? Like I didn't. The bangs aren't out. I've got a hat on and the bangs are kind of out, and I can see him poking through there. We of course has gotten really long too, so I, you know, maybe I need to cut my hair too. But she said, man, you're looking rough this morning. Everything all right? I mean, I would just tell you this. You're not looking any rougher than you do every other morning.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. So it's just my natural beauty. I guess maybe I've just become one of those don't talk to me till I get my coffee type of people. I just that comes out on my face as well. So I don't think I've.
Speaker 2: Told you that I'm slowly morphing you into me slowly. The haircut, I don't. I don't know if I like this.
Speaker 1: You be on stage and tell your Billy the Dude next Yeah, well, I thought you had snapped yesterday. I thought Shannon the Dude had finally had enough ks are kind of like cut out in the middle of the the last segment. And then instead of hearing the last segment of KSR yesterday on Lap, we heard The Price Is Right directly on WLAP Shan and I had thought you had turned heel finally on these guys.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I was getting all these tweets after the show was over, and I had no clue what was going on. So I actually caught up Ryan, I'm like, why are we getting tweets saying that The Price Is Right was on the air instead of KSR yesterday, And he said, well, he explained it. I'll let you explain it here in just a minute. But look, I know, like The Price is Right taking over KSR. I am suspect number one numero unil because I have openly spoken about my love and affection for The Price Is Right, the greatest game show that was ever created, and how much I loved Bob Barker. And you know, when we were in Milwaukee, Drew Franklin and I we sat up late into the night while everybody else was asleep. We were up at like one thirty two o'clock in the morning. We found on Pluto Billy you know they've got like the the twenty four to seven Prices right channel. Yeah. So so Drew and I are sitting up till like two two thirty in the morning watching reruns of The Prices Right, and we were bidding. I'm telling you what, man, when I figured out what year it was on there, that's the thing you got to find out, like, Okay, inflation's hit us, all right, but we're got to like try to figure out what year we're watching of Drew Carey based on his weight. So like when Drew Carey was really heavy, We're like, okay, Bob Barker retired in two thousand and seven, this has to be like seven, eight, maybe nine. So you got to like, when you're watching the Prices Right reruns, you got to think, Okay, what were prices back then? And then if you watch a rerun where he's really skinny, like, oh, this is a more recent one, so you have to, you know, bump up your prices due to inflation. So the breakdown so once where you finally figured out, Okay, Drew's a little hefty here, not not Drew Franklin, Drew Carrey is a little hefty here. This is probably around nine and I had a couple of them, Billy where I was within five bucks. You're pretty that much of the car I was dialed in and we were having a lot of fun doing that. Anyway, back to yesterday, how did that happen? How did the Price is Right take over the last segment of KSR? What happened? It was not me, by the way, I promise you it was I had no idea what was going on. It was not me.
Speaker 1: What happened now this time, it was not Shannon. You know, we had those that severe weather just the night before, and we had some issues taking the WKYT feed on WLAP. So I think the engineers were working on sending macros so that we could take the TV feed when we need to during severe weather, and they decided to test it during the end of KSR.
Speaker 2: Shit, and you know, there was.
Speaker 1: Just a wrong time to do that, But we did get a little bit of prices right during the last segment. If you listened on LAP yesterday, that's why you got to listen live, folks. I mean, that's the incentive. That's why you listen to the pregame shows. We don't post it on podcasts. The incentive to listen live. You never know, maybe if you listen to KSR, you'll just get a little Drew Carrey to in your day.
Speaker 2: It did sound like from people's tweets that they were giving away a really good vacation package yesterday. What you know, as somebody who loves to vacation, if I could, if I could like transport myself teleport from KSR into the Showcase showdown, I would rather be there to win that vacation package. Well, don't worry, you got vacation right around the corner, dudes, and it comes with a Ryan Lemon taking Ryan with you.
Speaker 1: And then Matt's not going to be here. Mario's gone that week too. Drew Palooza is going to be ended up me helping and what guests he can bring in. So I'm looking forward to that week. I do need a ruling here from you. Shannon Fair old foul about Matt talking yesterday about inviting himself over to people's houses to eat food. Now, he did say that he brings over food, which is great. He's not just calling Hubby up and saying what's for dinner. Yeah, But Shannon, there's some times when I don't want people to come over and see the house.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's a nice gesture from Matt, But would you accept the offer if he said he was bringing some fizzolis over?
Speaker 2: So yes, First of all, that call has never happened before in the fifteen years I've known Matt. I am one of these people that actually love surprise visitors at my house if I know you, like if you're a good friend to me. I don't know that there's anything that makes me happier than a good friend showing up unannounced. I know I'm in the minority there. I know, like all of my friends are like I need to know, like when you're coming over you, I need to know like a week in advance, which which I think is weird, Like what do you you got to hide the body or what are you doing? Like what what do you a little bit? You don't want to see my bathroom? Yeah, but no, I love you, know, and as long as you're like if you're a telemarketer, no go away. I don't want a surprise visitor from the you know, like Billy, if you randomly showed up at my house, that would make me happy, as long as I didn't have, you know, things to do if it was on like a random Saturday afternoon and you just showed up, I'd be like, yeah, man, good to see it. Come on in. I'd probably you know, i'd probably cook you something.
Speaker 1: Well, we all have your address, so you're telling me if people want to show up, I know you can get you money, you know, maybe hang out with the dude.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't hear me. You're not listening to me. If I know you, if I consider you a good friend and you show up, I like that. Otherwise I got I don't need you to tell me. You know, five days before that you're coming over. Come on over, man, We'll fire up the grill, we'll grab a Bruski, a Shannon to the dude brew and have a good time.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I'm a little surprised by that the man that has such a secret personal life would be willing to have people pop over and hang out.
Speaker 2: And again, I have such a small group of friends, though that only applies to like maybe ten people in this world probably likes okay, yeah, probably seven or eight. Well, I you know, I kind of had a different approach of this. In the same vein.
Speaker 1: I can't think of something that makes me happier than when I have plans made and then somebody cancels them.
Speaker 2: You like that, I'd love it, Shannon.
Speaker 1: You're telling me I've got plans and somebody calls up and says, hey, something's happened. I got to take my dog to the vet, or you know, you know, I got to go see my parents instead, and we can't go out tonight. I'm getting in the PJS and I get.
Speaker 2: To be a for the rest of you. Can you become Oh?
Speaker 1: I love it when I have plans and then somebody cancels on it.
Speaker 2: Then why did you make plans to begin with? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like this pure pressure and this need to socialize.
Speaker 2: I guess I got things to say about this. I hate when a friend makes a plan with me and they cancel on me. That talk about something that would make me more I don't know what would make me more mad than that. So you're the exact opposite. Don't waste my time telling me that we're gonna hang out tonight and then you don't show up or you cancel on me. So I would rather you just show up out of the blue and hang out, then say okay, we're gonna plan this out and we got you know, a week ahead of time. We're gonna go out on Friday night, and then you call up and you don't show up. Oh I hate it.
Speaker 1: I'll make plans and think about it all week, and I realized that I gotta get dressed, and then they call in and they're like, hey, can't do it tonight, We'll have to reschedule.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fine. I'm bumping.
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 2: Who have you become? What do you mean? I think I'm in the majority here. My thing is again, if you wanted to hang out of your pj's on a Friday night and go to bed at eight o'clock, why even make plans to begin with? Just tell your friends no, make an excuse, say I've got something else going on. How is it that I act younger than you and I'm how how much older am I than you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Fifteen years?
Speaker 1: I mean, hell, we could get to twenty. I think you're pushing fifty, right.
Speaker 2: I'm not pushing fifty. Get out of here. Yeah, you're ridiculous. I can't believe you, though, So you so you say, do not show up at your house un announced? Don't do it.
Speaker 1: I love hanging out with pals and friends. But just just be weary that if you cancel plans.
Speaker 2: I'm not that upset. What I'm gonna do. I can find plans to do. Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna make plans with you next Friday night, and then I'm gonna call on Friday at five o'clock and I'm gonna cancel on you. See, I don't like that, Like I don't want you. You just said you want that. You just said you like that.
Speaker 1: No, I do like when there's the anticipation and I'm dreading it. You're just telling me that you're gonna cancel on me like that, I know it's coming. It's not the same. So okay, all right, Well, I'd love to hear from you guys today, maybe in April Fool's rank that you've done or one that's gone wrong. I think of the one Marissa did on me where she put a cardboard sign on the back of my car that said honk if you love Andy Basher and see.
Speaker 2: I love her sense of humor. That's something I would do. I love I love that. That's great, But you know, April fool of jokes can go too far right.
Speaker 1: I mean like don't fake a pregnancy today, like don't don't get down on one knee and fake and engagement. You want to ruin a relationship, that's a great way to do it. There's a lot of things that can go wrong today, So we would love to hear from you. Eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. We'll take a break and come back. We'll talk a little bit about the transfer portal. That's the news of the time and sports as of now. I've got some fun things to talk about and the McDonald's All American Games tonight, Shannon, so there is something that we can watch. We'll talk about some nonsense and some other sports topics.
Speaker 2: Along the way.
Speaker 1: It is the show before the show. It is the Case, our pre show. A couple of fools on April's Fool's Day. It's Billy Rutledge and Shannon. The dude gives call a five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. You know always text us at five oh two two sixty five six six five six, where one person says, oh my god, Billy, nothing like canceled plans when you weren't really looking forward to it. That hits harder than Tyson. So I got one person in my camp. I asked this person how old they are. They haven't responded yet, because Shannon, you were saying during the break, they may Maybe you think it's a generational thing.
Speaker 2: I think maybe the younger generation just wants to be nice to everybody, so they'll they will agree to anything just to be nice, but then they secretly don't want to go.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, if you try to plan something with me that I don't want to do, I will straight up tell you I don't want to do it, or I'll create an excuse to not do it. That's the difference I think between. I mean, maybe that's not a generational thing. I'm just guessing here.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe, well, this person says, there's twenty six okay, checks outser to me than you.
Speaker 2: That checks out.
Speaker 1: You know, there is a point where you get to an age where you just don't care anymore, so you'd be willing to say no to things.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, I think I hit that age at twenty one. You got there twenty one. That's just your person out, That's just who I am.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You can't take life too seriously.
Speaker 1: You just can't that's right, and that is a great transition to tell people and fans of Big Blue Nation to calm down when it comes to the Transfer portal. If there's a guy that enters the portal and he doesn't immediately come to Kentucky, Shannon, that is not it is not the time to freak out. I mean, the way that Mark Pope constructed his roster just last year goes to show you that these there's gonna be more guys that enter the portal in the coming days, in the coming weeks, and there is going to be time for this to happen, even though the house settlement could be coming as early as next Monday. But Shannon, we had over sixteen hundred players have entered to Transfer portal since it opened just a week and so we can change a go. And we got some news yesterday Bryce Hopkins, the former Kentucky player, will joined Rick Bettino at Saint John's. We also got the news that Kerkkrisa and Big Z at Arkansas will enter the portal, which one of those announcements intrigues you the most, Shannon, Well, I think we kind of knew kerk Cresa. We talked about that and then an hour yesterday and then an hour later it was announced that Kirk Crisa was transferring uh, Bryce Hopkins to Saint John's. Is interesting to me because if you remember Bryce Hopkins the year he was at Kentucky was my favorite player.
Speaker 4: I loved him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went out. I remember going to the summer camp with the Kentucky players were working with like a youth league, and I go, man, who is that guy? He looks like a beast out there. And I don't know that his full potential was ever realized at Kentucky. I remember he had like one breakout game against LSU at Rapperina. Other than that, like, I don't think there was a whole lot of standout games that he had. Of course, we played against him when he was at Providence in the NCAA tournament, right, remember that. But I think that Rick Patino will pull out whatever potential whatever that you know, the greatest potential that Bryce Hopkins has. Rick Patino is the type of coach that can bring that out. I think it's a smart move for Bryce to go to Saint John's. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you uh, I mean, if you can put up with those practices, I mean, it's it's not like it's not every other coach, you know what I mean, Like you've you've got to buy into what Rick Patino's selling and and he he'll turn you into a ballplayer.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt.
Speaker 1: Look at the turner rounds he's had and the success that he's had at so many different schools. So I think Bryce can become even much more of a success with Rick. Do you want Big Z at Kentucky? I mean, I know we think his style would fit.
Speaker 2: We certainly wanted him here when he was When he was here.
Speaker 1: Well, we put up a billboard billboard, yeah, I mean we wanted the guy to play. He had an electric moment the first time he checked in. There were times where he wasn't strong enough. He's he's got, He's he's gotten a little bit bigger shan. Do you think that there is a place for him at Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I don't think we want to run that back. I think we've already seen big Z. You know, there was times where he struggled a lot this year with Arkansas. Maybe it was because of his under Calipari's system. I don't know. I don't think I want big Z back. I will tell you though, if big Z had just never played again after that first game, was it against Georgia at Rupp where he just went off? I forget who it was.
Speaker 1: Maybe I think you think you're right. It may I think it was George.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, if he'd have just you know, came in, knocked down all those threes and then never played again, we'd be like, man, this is the greatest college basketball player of all time. But uh No, I don't think I want big Z back at Kentucky. What do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't think I do either, And not to think that it couldn't work out. You know, I think Mark Pope's system could be exciting with big Z. I think he could definitely bring a dimension. I just I don't know, Shannon. I'm kind of ready to move on, are you.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean to your overall bigger point. You said, there's sixteen hundred players in the transfer portal. We only need a few. We don't need them all. True. So Mark Pope could swing a miss on a lot of guys and still end up with a really good team coming up next year. He's already got a couple of good transfers.
Speaker 1: And like you know, big Z was playing a lot at the beginning of the year, hitting the final shots for Arkansas, then barely played at the end of the year. So I don't know if Cal lost confidence in the guy or if there was a health issue, but you know he is. He has been a very up and down player. But just get ready for it. Transfer portal is gonna be wild over the next week or so, and stick around to the pre show and KSR will keep you up to date on all Kentucky players and their comings and goings, including Scoop Lemon, who said yesterday that the San Diego State forward Magoon Gwath, I believe is how you say it is somebody to look after. So Shannon, wyn't you just put that down in your ledger as somebody to keep your eye on?
Speaker 2: Okay, Magoon? How do you spell that last name? G w a t oh Gwath? Okay, Yeah, there you go, Magoon.
Speaker 1: And I don't think you can do this yet on DraftKings, but maybe there'll be a day you can bet on where a player will land in the transfer portal. But Shannon, that's where you should do all your gambling purposes on deaf that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the finals are here. The only thing that's for sure is the last time you can bet on college basketball this season coming up with the Final Four, and you can do it on Draft Kings sportsbook. If you're a new customer, sign up with promo code KSR bet five dollars, get one hundred and fifty and bonus bets with live betting, exclusive content, promos and parlays. DraftKings is the ultimate bas keiveball destination for March or in this case, April, so download the app promo code KOs off For new customers, bet five get one hundred and fifty only on DraftKings. The crown is yours if you have a gambling problem, calling it a hundred gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only. Eligibility restrictions apply new customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms were responsible gaming resources see DKNG, dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: A caller asked Mark Pope on The Mark Pope Collins Show last night, straight up if he would be interested in Big Z coming back. Mark Pope can't comment, I guess that's just like recruiting. Shannon, he cannot make a comment on that, but he did describe the transfer portal as chaos.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant and beautiful. Beautiful. There's that word beautiful. Everything's beautiful. It's a beautiful world.
Speaker 1: When you're Mark Pope, it's a beautiful world. And we will go to our beautiful callers now eight five nine two two two eight seven.
Speaker 2: Who's up first? The beautiful freebird is first?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Are you freebird?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: I have I guess I've earned the right as first color. So good morning. How's every body doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 3: You go?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask you a question. This as goes along with you know, ze, I guess Caler Perry's feathers are going to get hurt by him a transfer. And do you know if there's ever been a transfer that played in the school plant and came back again to the Saint School. I don't think I've ever heard of one.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if you guys made you mean, like just in general, we're at Kentucky. I think it's happened before at another school. Yeah, I think it has happened. I can't remember the player or the school, but I think I remember it happening. I don't think it's ever happened to Kentucky though, and you know, under a new coach, I'm not you know, it depends on if Mark Pope is even interested in Big Z And we can't really tell because he can't comment on it right now. But that's an interesting question.
Speaker 4: But I tell you, oh, h Latino is going to have Bryce Humpkins in the bench ship of his life. Man, he was a good ball player, like you said, his potential when he was here. But he's a big, strong, solid kid. He looks like he ought to be playing Easton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally agree. Thanks for the call, free Bird. Good to hear from you. Thank you, free Bird. Did you find out if there's I think there has been? It is possible.
Speaker 1: I have not seen an example listed, at least in the quick Google search that I'm doing now, but I would I would think that it is. You know, I'm sure guys enter the transporportal all the time and think, oh boy, there's no really place for me to land, so one you can return there. But for a guy to go to another school and then eventually come back. You know, sometimes you figure out the grass isn't always greener.
Speaker 2: On the other side, right, that's right. Yeah, I'll tell you what. The Atlanta Braves keep bringing back. I can't think of his name right now. Good grief. The Atlanta Braves are terrible. They keep bringing back this this relief picture. He's been with the team now seven different times. Well, the Braves are terrible. They're terrible. They're awful. Went five. Maybe they need to trade them again. Their players just suspend.
Speaker 1: An eighty games for PDS, I believe, I mean, it is a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that their uh left fielder is out. Jesse Shavez is the guy I'm trying to think of. Jesse Shaveez has been with the Braves now seven different times, seven times. So like he's left and then come back, and then come back to left, then come back left and come back seven different homes.
Speaker 1: Well, he doesn't own any houses. I'm sure he's just renting. He's rotail. Yeah, I five nine two, I know, two two eighty seven. Give us a call. We'll talk about the Yankees cheating in baseball maybe a little later in the show and other nonsense on the way here on the KSR pre show.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. This is just the sound of there we go. All right?
Speaker 1: He got caught on the intro of a song. Yeah, I hate Look what.
Speaker 2: I'm producing and co hosting and trying to look up stuff and try to do two people's jobs. Sometimes you get really awkward entrances like that. I didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 1: But that's like a play a music video and they've they've started an engine starting instead of the Actually I was.
Speaker 2: Going to play a song, but then I got caught up in this whole. You know, has a player come back to a team after leaving a team?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I looked up and the times counting down and we're worked three seconds away. So I just clicked whatever song was up next on the button bar? And how many times did you say that Braves player? All right? Jesse Shams, all right, check this out. So he has been with the Braves now six times. He started with the Braves back in twenty ten, but has come back to the Braves five more times since twenty twenty one, So in what four years? Wow?
Speaker 3: Twenty one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been with the Braves coming gone five different times and so six times total.
Speaker 1: Dude, just can't take a hint.
Speaker 2: And here's the crazy thing, Like Keys don't want him, he just keeps coming. No, Like he's pretty solid with Atlanta, but like they I guess can't. I don't know if they don't have room for him, like to pay them or what it is. But they'll let him go. He'll he'll do like pretty well with the Braves. They'll let him go. He'll go somewhere else and completely stink it.
Speaker 1: Up, like he went to the Breaks, just welcome him back and then they let him go.
Speaker 2: Then the Braves bring them back, and he does pretty well for Atlanta, but they're like, you know what, We're gonna let you go again. He goes to another major League Baseball team and has like an era of fifty that he's back out that Braves bring them back again. So it's like this, I think maybe he's just like the secret spy to go out and try to sabotage other teams. I think it's time to maybe let them go again and maybe send them over to San Diego or the Dodgers let them stink it up for them. Because the Braves can't win a game. They're zero to five. I don't think they even realize that it's not spring training anymore. This season has started.
Speaker 1: He needs to go over to the Yankees and find out what they're doing with their bats. Let's talk about this for a second. Of the torpedo bats.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this? I've seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the Yankees have hired a former MIT physicist to be a bench coach in the last few months. He has created a new bat where the thicker part of the barrel is I guess, what would you say, farther down on the bat. Yeah, And it's different for each player, depending on where you hit the ball most. That is where the bat is thickest for this individual player. So the first that the Yankees used this torpedo bat, they had nine home runs and scored what was it, twenty runs versus.
Speaker 2: A bad Brewers team.
Speaker 1: You know, this is solely a Yankee design, but other teams are starting to pick it up. Elie Dela Cruz took batting practice with a torpedo bat yesterday. In his first game with a torpedo bat yesterday, Shannon he hit two home runs.
Speaker 2: So with a rough score, the Red scored like eighteen runs, didn't they? I believe?
Speaker 1: So I think it was a beat down yesterday for the Reds.
Speaker 2: To me, look fourteens, fourteen to three, it looks more like a softball bat to me. Does the barrel is kind of more evenly distribute it further down towards the handle, and you're seeing guys that are using these torpedo bats. The balls are going, you know, flying out of the stadium because normally where you would get jammed and maybe just pop it up. Now when you evenly distribute the barrel a little further down the bat, now all of a sudden, you're getting guys that are getting shot on the inside of the bat, but they're also able to hit it a lot further because of the way the barrel is shaped and the bat itself. So I think this is going to be a trend. I don't know if it's good for the game of baseball or not. I know people who are like, ooh, it's boring, they don't score enough runs. This is certainly going to help with that.
Speaker 1: Until it's certainly helping yeah right, yeah, Now this is one hundred percent legal according to MLB, But because it's the Yankees doing it, I feel like we've got to stop them. Shannon like I feel like we cannot get the let the Yankees get away with this.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it an unfair advantage to the pitchers or is it just simply innovation with equipment we will see in the coming months. I think if we see every single team pick this up and you know every game is going to get double digit runs, that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's good for the product of baseball, but you want more, like you want more softball scores, is what you're saying. Twelve.
Speaker 1: This is what I was thinking you would say with somebody that poo poo's a second first base bag.
Speaker 2: That was stupid. I'm sorry, it's still a thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think they're still testing that out in many.
Speaker 2: Forms of baseball.
Speaker 1: But as somebody that is so with the rules and the tradition, I'm a little surprised you're for it.
Speaker 2: But it is legal. I don't know how. I don't really don't know like my full opinion on it just yet. I'm kind of like in the I need to see more games. I guess, like I don't know that is it because the torpedo bat or is that just coincidental, Like let's see let's get a longer test run of games and see if you know, when more teams start switching to the torpedo bat, you know, like every team is going to start doing this, Every player is going to start doing this. Yeah, you know, is every game like that, then will know it's a direct result from the torpedo bats. Until then, I mean, you know, we've had games before when we had regular bats where teams would score twenty runs. I remember the Braves a few years ago put up like twenty eight runs on the Marlins and they didn't have any torpedo bats. So maybe it was just the Brewers were that bad versus the Yankees. They're not good, but you know, the Athletics got beat like eighteen to three or something like that. Maybe it's just the a suck. Maybe that's simply it.
Speaker 1: But they do look strange as we see that trend in Major League Baseball. Speaking of people knowing their opinions before we get to the phones, nine out of ten people on the text line do not want Big Z to return to Kentucky, and one person gave us bo Allen as a player who returned to an original school.
Speaker 2: That's right, bo Allen. The quarterback Shannon.
Speaker 1: I think something that we can all agree with is that it is amazing what the Coastal Carolina football team is doing. This is not an April fool's joke. This was announced yesterday at Coastal Carolina. All concessions will be free at home football games this year. Fans can get four items hot dogs, nachos, popcorns, and a fountain drink, all for free, with no limit on the number of times you can visit the concession stands in game. Wow, that's amazing, madness, Shannon, do you think that's a great way to get people in the.
Speaker 2: Doors both and a little bit of desperation too. But I mean, who's putting that bill? I mean, where's that money coming from.
Speaker 1: Those department ticket sales? Money that they're going to make from people coming in is going to go directly just paying for those hot talks. Man, I don't know, Like you no limit to how many times you can go to the concession stand. They could feed my family theoretically if I went up there enough times the week.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Like, I'm just going for the free dinner and leading behalftime, I'm stuffing dogs in my pockets. Shitting, But I mean, what are we doing here? Of course, you still got pay to get into the game. Do you think, Billy, that maybe they're doing a little switcheroo. Maybe what they're doing is, however much that food might cost, they're just tagging that onto the price to get in. Oh, I would hate that. Do you think that maybe that's the case. I'd hate that.
Speaker 1: Because I want the option to go to the game and not have to buy popcorn to get my money.
Speaker 2: Sorry, folks, we've got to raise the season ticket price and just the regular single game ticket price. But on the bright side, you get free concessions.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is just one of those publicity stunts, right. I mean, they've got us talking about it, so, I mean, it's a way to get Coastal Carolina football.
Speaker 2: In the conversation, you said you get four items, but you also get unlimited trips.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you can get a hot dog, Nacho's, popcorn, or a fountain drink for free. Okay, and you have no limit on the amount of times you can go and get those free items. Oh so I can go get four, I can go get all four right now? Yeah, and then eat it and then come back and then get get more, get four again. Wow, it's like a It's like an all you can eat buffet, which is insane. It's like a hot dog in nacho buffet.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Now, when I was in college, the Atlanta Falcons have been in front of this. Their concessions at Mercedes Benz. I think it's Mercedes beins is like half off. It's about like a normal price of what you can expect instead of, you know, sixteen dollars for a tall Boy beer. So I don't know, maybe this is the future. I doubt we'll see free concessis at Kentucky.
Speaker 2: And he didn't know that that is never happening. They don't have to people. You know, fans will show up.
Speaker 1: Regardless, just not if they don't start winning game home games.
Speaker 2: That's true. They've they've got to change that.
Speaker 1: Let's take another call, Shane, who's next, Scott?
Speaker 2: Good morning, Scott, Hey, good morning guys.
Speaker 3: Hey, uh that big is the Personally I don't want him back, but I have a question five years from now, well we consider players that left Kentucky went somewhere else, are they still a Kentucky player five years from now? We were still play.
Speaker 1: I would say yes, but Shade and Sharp does not fall into that category for me.
Speaker 2: You know, he didn't play at all.
Speaker 3: He never played for US. No.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, he warmed up, but he never lost a minute. Okay, well let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does Walker Horn and Grant darby Shire if they never played? Yes, yeah, they played.
Speaker 1: Okay, they've gotten in and they've also you know, dedicated a lot of blood and sweat to you know, practice from Brown.
Speaker 2: Do you give me, well, give me a broad? Do you see the sweat rolling off his brow while he was in the lafe line? I mean, my guy gave blood, sweat and tears. I think you got a noseblade during the layup line. I mean that's blood, sweat and tears for Kentucky. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: That is an interesting question, Sciatt, But I do think that Big Z will be considered by some as a Kentucky player. I mean he did have that electric moment that one game.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We always say once a cat, always a cat, even if you were only here for a year, And that's the case with the one and done guys too, right, right right?
Speaker 3: I say, John, Yeah, but if you if you wanted done to go to the NBA as stapid bunch if you're wanting done and go to a different college, but you know, especially in the same conference. Yeah right, what's the cat cat?
Speaker 2: What's your take on it, Scott? I mean, would you consider big Z a Kentucky player?
Speaker 3: No, No, because he left. He left Kentucky and went to another SEC team for one year, and I leave to go somewhere else. So if he goes to four different colleges, is he considered a razor Pack, a wild cat or a christ.
Speaker 2: DJ Wagner, then you would say he's not a cat.
Speaker 3: If he if he would have left, if he would left Kentucky went to the NBA. Yes, he left Kentucky went to SEC. So he left. You know, he basically, to me, turned his back on Kentucky. You know, I don't think the Kentucky player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Scott, I would argue that separation isn't always a bad thing between a player in Kentucky. You know, I think it was actually a good thing that Mark Pope was able to have a clean slate to build a roster, right, I mean, I think maybe Big Z did a favor by leaving.
Speaker 3: He could have. But you know he could have prospered by standard. Pope says he sure didn't. You know he didn't at calibrate the first year. He could his second year. You know, yeah, he do coach know new new thing. You know, you could have prospered a whole lot better look at car and all that. But they did, you know previously and compared to what they did this year. Coach of coaching the night and pure of the game.
Speaker 1: So their last year has to be at Kentucky for you to consider them a Kentucky player.
Speaker 3: Shed because they didn't lead to go to another college.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, just where he stands, just.
Speaker 3: My personal opinion. So about opinion.
Speaker 2: So if they were here for two years and they left for another school, were they a Kentucky player?
Speaker 3: Okay, they heard the back of Kentucky. They're chasing the money. They're chasing the money, not the team.
Speaker 2: All right. Cassidy Row, Oh she didn't.
Speaker 1: She didn't go to a new team.
Speaker 2: She just quit Masters. She did well. What if she decides to go to another school, does that mean she was never a cat Scott.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, yes, come on, she got forced, I know she got well if she if she was forced to leave. You have circumstances to everything. If you're made to leave, you know, that's well, that's that was your choice. The choice was not leave.
Speaker 2: But let's say Pope came in and didn't want the hero Wagner or z. He wanted to start from scratch. I'm yeah, I got you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, it's like you get fired from a chop, you know, lose you know, France from that time because you got five. He wasn't. You didn't do it on your own.
Speaker 1: He was forced out, all right, So okay, appreciate it, man, Thank you, Scott. I mean, despite if I leave or get fired by iHeart, I would always have been an iHeart employee, Shannon seven.
Speaker 2: You know, I hear what he's saying, but I mean, I'm not fired up enough to like start yelling at at Scott Brew's opinion. But to me, if you were here for a year, you're a cat, once a cat, always a cat. How can I take that approach like you didn't Sharp He might be like the only exception, but.
Speaker 1: Like especially now, right, I mean, in the landscape of college sports, where movement is just fluid, like that is just something that you get used to. I'm not going to say that I can't get on board because I think Kerkkrisa really cared about this team, right, I think he really cares about this program and the success of the team last year. Just because he's entered the portal looking for a better opportunity doesn't mean that he was and not will always be considered a wildcat. Shading sharp not a cat in my book. That's a different story. A five nine two two eight seven. We'll take a couple more calls on the other side of this break and before we hand it off to KSR here on this Tuesday edition of the KSR pre show, welcome back. Not the price is Right, It is KSR. Even though you might be confused after yesterday.
Speaker 2: Understand how that happened, because I mean, why would we have not heard the Price is Right on the other segments too, So somebody had to come in during that last break and recorded something like a traffic report or something right or now.
Speaker 1: Well, we were testing macros to switch lap over to WKYT when we have severe weather.
Speaker 2: Oh, they decided to test it in the middle of the show. We tell him next time to test that stuff. After the show, I will I will come on do your job.
Speaker 1: Speaking of things you should check out, though, you should check out w l a p dot com because we've still got a few open spots in the KSR golf scramble at the University Club on May thirtieth. Still a lot of sport spots left, So why don't you join, and maybe you'll get a celeb shot for me.
Speaker 2: You can beat Drew Franklin dead in this scramble. Matt's got his own team. Hold on, what what a celeb shot from? Are you referring to yourself as a celebrity?
Speaker 1: Yes, I will be considered a celebrity. You will not tell me I am not.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, I mean maybe with those bangs, if you cut your hair, nobody's gonna recognize you.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 1: You're you're so big now you're a celebrity. Celebrities consider a celeb shot. Have you ever played beer pong?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: Okay, well I think you would understand this concept and golf. I'll give you a slub shot as well. Maybe I'll hit a drive for you if they don't give me my own team, which apparently, if I'm high enough on the total pull, get my own team.
Speaker 2: Well, now, I think you get your own team, your play your teammates just don't show up.
Speaker 1: Well, that has happened in the past too, So I mean, it's all all categories, but have come come have fun with us wl AP dot com. Uh check out kis our golf scramble join us. A couple spots left? Uh, Shannon, why don't we take another call?
Speaker 2: Who do we have? Let's go to Doug. Hey, Doug, what's up? Doug?
Speaker 3: Hey? Guys? Are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you man? We've already established this in the first call. We're all doing well.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Doug good, good, good.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna ask a question that I haven't heard anyone address through this entire transfer portal situation over the past few years, and it's something I've always just been curious about. I think the answer for a lot of people are going to be I don't care, but I want to know what the real answer is. What does this do to these students academically? So and I know in a lot of situations, you know their end go is the NBA. But what if you're kur Cresa and you've been to Arizona, West Virginia Kentucky. And let's say hypothetically, now you're gonna go to Xavier and he's not going to go to the NBA, and he's like, Okay, I need to get my degree in finance, so I'm going to finish at Eastern Kentucky University. And they're going to look at him and say, well, academically standard, you are a freshman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I transferred. I don't know exactly how like the credits roll over. Like for me, there were certain credits that would roll over to gen Ed's. Yeah, Like I said, you know, a lot of these guys get their basic you know, basic classes that everybody has to take, and then after that you pick a major or a minor and you go from there. Some of those classes will probably carry over, other ones won't. But yeah, I'm not sure. I think it's probably different for every individual, depending on the school they decide to go to.
Speaker 1: It's probably a player by player basis. And when you know nine out of ten athletes aren't going to play professionally, you'd hope that they get a degree that they can pursue a career in afterwards. But Shannon were foolish to think that student athlete is a term that still applies today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it's never had Yeah, you never even hear you.
Speaker 5: Never even hear GPAs mentioned anymore. Are they academically eligible? So you know, I guess my question two would be as an athlete, is that as something that is even taken into consideration when they choose what school they're going to transfer to. How many of my credits are going to transfer?
Speaker 1: You know, it's impossible to say, and you know, I do appreciate the call. Again, it's probably player by a player basis. I would also say, Shannon, a lot of guys that transfer have probably already graduated.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think about some of the seniors on this team's roster probably came to Kentucky with all their credit. I was already done. So it's just a different time in college sports. But if we're in college, now, here's what I would do.
Speaker 2: I would go to all the easiest, like you know, the place I could play the but the easiest classes, okay, and then like after that, go, okay, I'm a senior, Now where can I go? That would be like the most impressive diploma that I could get. Oh, you just care about the diploma on the wall. Well, like, I know you couldn't do it, but like, let's just say you went to like, you know, Eastern Kentucky and you stayed there for three years then last year, So I want to go to.
Speaker 1: Harvard IVY like last last year. They would never accept you, but you know, in theory it would be that would be my move. I wonder if the gen eds at an Ive League schooler are tougher than maybe the local Kentucky school. Shannon, you know, I'm not sure, but you know that's in the back of everybody's mind when it comes to these athletes today.
Speaker 2: I think, But Shannon, tell me about DraftKings. We have to Yeah, the finals are here, Final four coming up next weekend. You can bet it all on Draft Kings Sportsbook. Promo code KSR. You bet five, you get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets. You can do the parlays, promos, exclusive contents, live betting all there with you on Draft Kings Sportsbook. The Crown is Yours Gambling Problem Call one eight hundred Gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only. Eligibility restrictions apply. New customers only. Bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance for additional terms were responsible gaming resources to the DKNG dot Co.
Speaker 1: Slash audio watch Kentucky commit Malachi Moreno. Tonight in the McDonald's All American Day Game. We will hand it off to KSR. Matt and the guys are next. Ryan and Drew in studio already here for Shannon the Dude. I'm Billy Rutledge. This has been the case our pre show. We will talk to you tomorrow