Speaker 1: Hey, good morning everybody.
Speaker 2: It is Sunday, February first, and a strongly worded, ominous yet vague warning from President Trump to protesters in Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: But the president's.
Speaker 2: Words may not have been the strongest words we heard about Minneapolis yesterday.
Speaker 1: And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Ropes.
Speaker 2: I'm talking specifically here. Yes, we're gonna get into what Trump said first. But he just lost a case in court, and the judge didn't just say you lost. He gave the administration a civics beat down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say a verbal spanking. And it was dripping in sarcasm.
Speaker 4: And it was while he was making the ruling he made his.
Speaker 3: Feelings very known about what he thinks of the Trump administration and how they have acted over this first year. And it's well, let's just say, you know exactly where he stands.
Speaker 4: He does not mince words.
Speaker 1: What are they?
Speaker 2: The phrase activist judges gets thrown around a lot, and look, he could have done this ruling. And again, the ruling was about the little five year old boy who, of course we've all seen those heartbreaking images of him being taken into custody by ice. Well, this case, the judge rule that he has to be released he and his father. Okay, fine, but it was a whole lot more than that. I mean, I don't know what are judges allowed to do? Is this okay? But this was more than just I'm upset with what you did. It was sarcastic, it was insulting, so a certain.
Speaker 3: Way, oh beyond, And I do think, Look, this is I get that as a judge, you do have a pulpit, so to speak, and you have been put in that position because you have earned the right and the experience and you know the law.
Speaker 4: And all of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, but when you use the rhetoric that he used to make a judgment that very well may be the right judgment.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people agree with this, judge.
Speaker 3: But now you've just you've just upped all of the mudslinging, and you've just you've ratcheted up the temperature. You've it's just putting us into us versus them. I'm right, you're wrong, you're bad, I'm good, and that just never ends.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Uh so we're going to get into that in the second, but let's get into first what the president said last night.
Speaker 1: We did see a protests.
Speaker 2: We should mention across the country last night protests and solidary with what's happening in Minneapolis. But the President yesterday put out a pretty long truth social post robes in which he said he has directed the Department of Homeland Security to start doing things differently on the ground. First of all, he said, we are not going to be responding to these riots and whatnot unless locals ask, And a lot of people will say.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Yes, that sounds that's great. But he went farther.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said, so, yeah, we're not going to come help you unless you ask, which I think actually is a great policy going forward, and I think the folks of Minneapolis would agree with that as well.
Speaker 4: Los Angeles would agree with that as well.
Speaker 3: Here's what he wrote, though, Please be aware that I have instructed ICE and were Border Patrol to be very forceful in this protection of federal government property. Let me back up a little bit, because he said we won't go in unless ask, but we will protect federal buildings, and he was referring to what happened in Eugene, Oregon. There will be no spitting in the faces of our officers. There will be no punching or kicking the headlights of our cars, and there will be no rock or brick throwing at our vehicles or at our patriot warriors. If there is, those people will suffer an equal or more consequence.
Speaker 2: So he writes that, and we're going to get more. He did say a whole lot more. But he writes this, and then he ends up on the Air Force one last night he does a press gaggle and he doubled down on that by saying, ropes, if they do anything bad to our people, they will have to suffer.
Speaker 3: That's ominous and vague. You said that at the beginning, And that's scary because what does suffer mean?
Speaker 4: That could mean a whole host of things.
Speaker 2: Here is, if you piece this together, it's not hard to piece together. He is, in this comment, at least on social media, is making a direct reference to what Alex Pretty did. And he said people will have to suffer. It's almost he's almost justifying, Yeah, you spin our people, you kick our thing, You're gonna have to suffer.
Speaker 1: He died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was going to say, does suffer also include death? Because that did sound like what he was saying. He specifically referred to what we saw Alex pretty do on that video that was released this past week, eleven days before his death.
Speaker 4: He was specifically referencing that.
Speaker 2: He goes on here and again, it was last night, Eugene, Right, yeah, okay, yes, last night a federal building was in their words, attacked. But this was a significant and this wasn't just outside of a building yelling and creamy. That was some property damage here, do yes?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: The President goes on, saying, if local governments are unable to handle the insurrectionist, agitators and anarchists, we will immediately go to the location where such help is requested and take care of the situation very easily and methodically.
Speaker 1: Here's where it gets good roes.
Speaker 2: Therefore, to all complaining local governments, governors and mayors, let us know when you're ready, and we will be there. This sounds great, right, Yes, we're doing great. Finally, he continues, but before we do so, you must use the word please.
Speaker 3: Is that a joke when I read that and he put please in all caps. Yes, you have to say please and thank you if you want us to help you. It's polite, okay, and if you don't, you will suffer.
Speaker 1: He wrote it.
Speaker 2: Now, folks, he didn't We're not interpreting or did he say that?
Speaker 1: And the press guy go, what did he say? What did he mean?
Speaker 2: He wrote and laid all of this out. You must use the word please. If we're gonna come in there and protect people and property, say please first, and then we'll consider.
Speaker 3: Coming maybe even pretty plate, pretty please, pretty please, pretty please. He went on to say, remember that I stated in the strongest of language to beware.
Speaker 4: That's in all caps.
Speaker 3: Ice border patrol, or if necessary, our military will be extremely powerful and tough in the protection of our federal property. We will not allow our courthouses, federal buildings, or anything else under our protection to be damaged in any way, shape or form. I was elected on a policy of border control, which has now been perfected.
Speaker 4: National security and law and order.
Speaker 3: That's what America wants and that's what America is getting.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 2: You remember last week where things we thought were settling down. Tom Holman was that Wednesday. He did that price conference. He got to town on Monday or Tuesday. Didn't see him. He's actually taken meetings. We hear the mayor come out the governor come out. Everybody says, we had a good meeting. It was a good start. We're not perfect. They acknowledge that we have disagreements, and we were moving forward.
Speaker 4: We were productive there. It is the word they use, productive.
Speaker 1: And here we go. This takes us.
Speaker 2: This is a step back, not a complete reversal of fortune that we were seeing there. But this is the type of thing. He's almost spanking them like you. It's almost this is childlike in petty it is.
Speaker 3: And he is saying, oh, sorry, well, he likes when people call him daddy. He did say that, okay, So he wants to be basically, you know, a father figure and does treat this is a problem though his subjects his Uh well, I mean that is a lot of what this looks like and feels like and sounds like that. We're like all just dumb children who need to be told to say please and thank you and to do what we're told. And if you don't, you will suffer, you will be punished. It does feel like that. Well, they're not equals, they're not partners. I'm the president. You all are beneath me.
Speaker 4: That is such a good way to put it.
Speaker 2: I have to listen to you, governor, you mayor of me Minneapolis. I don't have to partner with you. I don't even have to help you. I'm not saying he's a savior. But isn't the president the person that you turn to your feederal government for help, we need help, and to say you can't get it unless you say please. Maybe someone would look at this and say, oh, it's just funny as him being him, But how we keep doing that on so many things and just I don't know, this isn't a big deal, I guess unless he's requiring them to come and beg before we come save property and people in your city. And didn't he mentioned Democrat. I didn't put the whole thing in have, but I think there was a reference to Democrat cities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, specific.
Speaker 3: Specifically to Democrat cities, because he said these are the ones that are harboring undocumented immigrants. He doesn't use that term, but that's what I will use. So, yes, these sanctuary cities. He specifically referenced them, saying, y'all are on your own, like we're not.
Speaker 4: But you know when you are.
Speaker 3: Going to need help, when you do ask us for help, we will in But yes, you have to say please.
Speaker 2: But like we said, folks, his words might not be the strongest ones we heard yesterday.
Speaker 1: Now here, his are the ones ropes.
Speaker 2: He has the bully pulpit, so he can get on that thing, say anything, and we pay more attention to You had to go look and find a court order yesterday to hear the absolute verbal and judicial beatdown that a judge gave the Trump administration. Just a little piece of it, the government's ignorance of an American historical document called the Declaration of Independence. That was what he said about the administration. Stay here, we'll tell you why this judge decided to go off on the White House. All right, we continue here on this first day of February here on Sunday on Amy and TJ. Robes getting a lotus. That's a quiet weekend when it comes to what's happening in Minneapolis beyond just protests, we are talking about rhetoric really changed a lot of things yesterday. We don't know how, but potentially we heard from the President obviously what we talked about with him. This judge has now stepped into this in a way that is probably red meat for folks on the right.
Speaker 3: Look, people who are upset with Trump's immigration policies and are rallying against Ice will probably would print out what this judge wrote and hang it in their home because they love. They probably are like, yes, hell, yes, give it to him, tell him the truth, say what you really think. But the problem is all of that just just makes things worse. So yes, I think a lot of people might hear what this judge said and feel validated, but it does just continue to stir the pot and make things difficult to work through.
Speaker 1: The problem you, what you're saying is both sides use it.
Speaker 2: Will have this up on their wall saying yep, give it to them, take it to them. The Democratic site will say that Republicans sat see told you he's active.
Speaker 1: Ast judges here, they are here, they come like.
Speaker 2: Both will use this as a validation of their points.
Speaker 1: So true, But this case is.
Speaker 2: The one everybody's seen that picture of little Liam Ramos. It was the last week, was it a week before? But past couple of weeks. He was taken into custody along with his dad, who Ice said was the target of their investigation. Came out later the dad apparently is in proper proceedings, right now has court, so he shouldn't have been detained, is what this judge is saying. And ordered that the dad and the boy, the five year old be released by I think tuesday.
Speaker 1: Do I have that right?
Speaker 2: So next couple of days. Now he didn't just so order that robes. He had a point to make in his order. Oh three page order by.
Speaker 4: He did, so that'll be a big day.
Speaker 3: By the way, when little Liam walks out of that detention facility with his father, you know how many journalists and camra are going to be waiting outside that facility to get that picture of that.
Speaker 4: He is the cutest, sweetest little thing.
Speaker 3: I think that just adds to the emotional reaction people are having to what's been going on.
Speaker 2: We all, yes, fine, cute kid. Every single person, almost every adult knows that kid. Meaning even if you don't have kids, you got nieces and nephews or something that you see dressed exactly like that five years old. Like he has nothing to do with any of this. Why is he caught up?
Speaker 3: An? I know? All right, So here's what we have some of what the judge said, but you've picked out the best parts, the juiciest parts. When we say the best to the wooh the worst. He writes, They, as in the Trump administration, seek nothing more than some oh sorry, when he said they, he was referring to Liam and his father. They seek nothing more than some modicum of due process and the rule of law. The case has its genesis in the ill conceived and incompletely implemented government pursuit of daily deportation quotas. Apparently, even if it requires traumatizing children, this court and others regularly send undocumented people to prison and orders them deported, but do so by proper legal procedures.
Speaker 2: You know, he makes a good point. He's not saying that I'm not against this thing.
Speaker 1: I'm not. Yeah, I'm just about order.
Speaker 3: We deport people every day, We send people to prison every day who are undocumented. This is something that we actually agree with. But how this is being done they vehemently disagree with, so they say.
Speaker 4: Apparent.
Speaker 3: Also is the government's ignorance of an American historical document called the Declaration of Independence.
Speaker 1: And here is where the sarcism starts, the god dripping.
Speaker 3: And then there is that pesky inconvenience called the Fourth Amendment, the Right of People to be secure in their persons houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures civics. Lesson to the government, Administrative warrants issued by the executive branch to itself do not pass probable cause muster. That is called the fox guarding the Henhouse. The constitution requires an independent judicial officer.
Speaker 2: Okay, and please no, folks, we haven't even got to the most damning line yet.
Speaker 1: But rogues so far. I mean, he could have done all of this.
Speaker 2: And it's every once in a while we see judges, even when it's strongly worded, sometimes it's still not this far.
Speaker 3: Civix Lesson to the government that pesky, that pesky inconvenience called the Fourth Amendment. Those were unnecessary lines. He went on to write, this observing human behavior confirms that for some among us, the perfidious lust for unbridled power and the imposition of cruelty in its quest knows no bounds and are bereft of human decency and the rule of law.
Speaker 4: Be damned.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a wow. I mean, I don't know some of it. Sarcasm is obvious. That point, though, is probably might be legally sound. And a judge is upset by how a process that we do all the time has now been skirted.
Speaker 1: In a way that's now impacting a five year old boy.
Speaker 4: Yes, and the fox guarding the henhouse.
Speaker 3: That is something that I think a lot of people have been screaming in other words and a way of saying, where is the accountability, where is the oversight? It doesn't exist right now the way the government is operating.
Speaker 2: So he is trying to give them some So I do believe he has ordered the little boy and his dad be released by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. Now, before we let you go, Rodes, we have to mention this is what the judge did.
Speaker 1: At the bottom of the order. It included a picture of little Liam. He attached a.
Speaker 2: Picture of that picture that we all have seen that. He attached the picture Robes and included this. It just said Matthew nineteen fourteen and John eleven thirty five the picture and then those two Bible verses didn't have the verses written out, just mention those two.
Speaker 3: Verse I do appreciate that because you know, everyone goes and googles those Bible verses, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: People are gonna lean on the word of the Lord to guide us through these difficult times.
Speaker 2: Some might recognize John eleven thirty five. I believe it is considered the shortest Bible verse in the Bible.
Speaker 1: Jesus wept.
Speaker 4: Jesus wept.
Speaker 1: That's one. The other Matthew nineteen fourteen is damn good as well. Robes.
Speaker 3: Jesus said, let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.
Speaker 2: You know you almost you say that, and I didn't think. I wrote this down right here in front of us on the rundown. Get emotional hearing it and putting his face with it, because there are folks suffering. Kids are suffering because of the foolishness of us, of grown ass folks, whether it's a shutdown and snap benefits they're getting. The kids didn't do anything. This kid didn't do a damn thing. You can blame his parents, you can blame the government, but don't blame the kid. And the kid is suffering right now in a damn detention facility in Texas, a five year old that just shouldn't be permitted. So I'm with the judge, and I understand that the sarcism was a little sarcasm, a little heavy. Don't know what to think about that, because it feels like ropes. It just furthers fighting.
Speaker 4: It furthers fighting.
Speaker 3: But I guess also it speaks to the level of anger both sides.
Speaker 4: Field.
Speaker 3: You see what Trump wrote today and what he said to members of the media on Air Force one.
Speaker 4: He's pissed. He is so pissed. This judge is so pissed.
Speaker 3: The protesters in the streets of Minneapolis and in Eugene, Oregon are pissed. Ice officers are pissed that they're getting spit at and have objects thrown at them, called horrible names.
Speaker 4: They've been ducks. Everybody's so angry.
Speaker 2: I think the anger is justified. I think everybody and everybody thinks their anger is justified. What I don't have a hard time justifying the actions that you take based on the anger. Be mad as hell? Do you have to throw a rock at a federal vehicle? Be mad as hell? Do you really have to throw that protest up against a pole.
Speaker 4: Or spray pepper spray in their eyes?
Speaker 2: Everybody's mad. Understand that stuff's justice. Both sides got arguments to make. It's just how we go about it because we keep saying robes this side or that side. We don't seem to think we're all on the same damn side.
Speaker 1: We are. We actually are, but we don't act like it.
Speaker 4: So there is common ground. I think most people would agree.
Speaker 3: We want to have a legal process for folks to be able to come to this country.
Speaker 4: We don't want people breaking our laws.
Speaker 3: We don't want criminals in our streets, and we want certain people deported. There is common ground that we can find.
Speaker 2: We just can't find a humanity and the decency when it's somebody that's black or brown or illegal.
Speaker 1: Like there's still people.
Speaker 2: Uh So, it was another rough weekend, rough weekend of rhetoric. But we don't have any reports of serious injuries or deaths this weekend, and that's.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be a Nobody got killed on the streets.
Speaker 4: Think about it.
Speaker 3: We did in the three weeks of Minneapolis, someone died each week, So maybe that can be a win that that has not occurred.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, we always appreciate you spending some time with us, wanting to hop on and give that update here on this Sunday. Wherever you may be, you're probably cold. Some places are starting to throw out, but a lot of places are not. Hope you're safe, Hope you're warm, but always appreciate you spending some time with us.
Speaker 1: For my dear Amy Robock, I am TJ. Holmes and we will talk to you soon