Speaker 1: iHeart three D audio.
Speaker 2: For full exposure listen with headphones.
Speaker 3: Havoctown is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Mankey Headphones recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 4: Our lead story today, Raymond Bachman, the man accused of driving his car into a crowd of people at the Havoc Township courthouse, has died today. Police are still investigating the cause of the incident. Bachmann's family could not be reached for comment.
Speaker 1: Okay, We're okay, We're gonna be okay. Say you're just living your life, obsessed with your bills and shit at work and what's for dinner for that party you have to go to for your best friend because you owe them one. You are immersed in the constant deluge of the day to day, swimming in it. It has always been and will always be life, normal, life, tedious and lovely. And then one morning, as you're bringing the garbage down to the street before heading off to work, boom wolf Man in your yard. Poseidon pops up from the sewers descend, bringing new revelations from on high. Blood drenched madman goes on a violent killing spree with a fireman's axe. What happens the next morning? Do you wake up at the normal time, go through your morning checklist, you brush your teeth? Do you floss? In this new reality? You cancel dinner plans? Dad? Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice message system. Hey, Sylvie, uh, I think we keep the bar closed today out of respect for the dead day off? Okay, bye? How do you just sit with your coffee? In my head, I ran through the previous day, the same wall I made every day, the car careening around the corner, the bloodshed that followed, and then later that night, meeting my savior a second time, which you know didn't go great. Hello.
Speaker 2: I am Sylvie. I work here and I am.
Speaker 1: Friends with Krine. Oh god, I'm sorry. This is Sylvie. Sylvie. This nicely dressed man pushed me out of the way of a moving car and saved my life. And I never caught his name.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm Jury Jerry Havoc. Well, shit again, I quite a lot.
Speaker 1: Actually, which number are you?
Speaker 2: The fourteenth?
Speaker 6: Shit?
Speaker 1: There are a lot of you.
Speaker 2: Well what right?
Speaker 1: Right? Sorry? Jury Havoc. In the Flash, the fourteenth Sigon to the Havoc Empire for whom our town is named.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose Karen. Yes, and do you have a last name? Krin?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's Abbess.
Speaker 5: No shit, yeah, of the famed vampire hunters. Tell me you're still out there every night digging up the dead.
Speaker 1: You're still out there breaking labor laws in your factories. Uh sorry, that was that was just that was way out of line.
Speaker 5: No, no, it was it was fair considering. I'm sorry. Let's start again, shall we. Hello karinn Abbess. My name is Jerry Havoc. I come in peace.
Speaker 1: Hmmm you want to drink?
Speaker 5: Uh no, I have to take a rain check. Actually, I just stopped by to drop off the phone and you know, introduce myself formerly.
Speaker 1: Hm, well, thank you.
Speaker 2: And I'll bid you ladies a good night.
Speaker 7: Good night, don't be a stranger.
Speaker 5: Oh and so you know, I've been trying very hard to get my house in order. The men whoever saw those labor violations that they've been terminated. I'm trying to do better than we've done in the past.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: I I was just reacting, you know, in a moment.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean no, no, no, no, no, it's okay, it's okay. You weren't wrong. Exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, just so you know, we gave up the vampire hunting business a couple of years back.
Speaker 2: Oh, good to know.
Speaker 1: It was dead. Anyway, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: Well i'll see you ladies around.
Speaker 1: You are horrible at flirting. Yeah, I'm gonna need another drink. You got it, mama, And I wasn't flirting, clearly stupid. A terrible day had led to a very involved evening of drinking, a long stumble home in the cold, and a fitful night of bad dreams and trips to the bathroom. The morning began, as such mornings usually do, with an almost operatic hangover. I was going to get so much worse. Dad, Hey, Dad, you awake, Dad. It's almost ten. We need to start getting rolling if we're going to make your appointment, Dad, Dad, Oh please please, oh god, oh god, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no. What happened? Did you fall getting out of bed? Your lips are blue? Can you hear me? Daddy? Okay, okay, I'll be right back. I'm gonna call the ambulance. Hello, Yes, I found my father on the floor. He's barely breathing. He's unresponsive. Eight one seven twin Oaks Drive, it looks like he tripped or collapsed or something. He's got cancer. This is his daughter, Corinne. Okay, please please hurry. Is there anything I can do? I followed to the hospital. All I could think about was how long he'd been there? An hour? All night? Why hadn't I checked on him when I got home? Hi? Yeah, my sorry, my father was brought in here by an ambulance. I lost track of them while like name in abbis No, your father's oh Jonathan Abos. He probably came in like five minutes ago. I got stuck at a light and I lost track of them.
Speaker 3: He's not in the system yet.
Speaker 2: I'll call you when he pops up.
Speaker 1: Okay, how long does it normally take?
Speaker 3: Depends on a lot of factors.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, horn So.
Speaker 1: Wait wait wait, there's nothing I can do. I'll call you.
Speaker 6: Please sit Corren Jimbo, Hey kid, everything okay?
Speaker 1: Uh? Well no, no, actually I I found dad this morning. Oh no, yeah, he was some got chimbo. I don't know. I don't know what's happening. He was just he was just lying there.
Speaker 6: And hey, come here. Look your dad's a real fighter. You know that? Yeah? Yeah, hey, I ever tell you about the time Old Tom stabanaw got his blood up about the Pats and started trying to get into it with Pauli Shelton for wearing a giant's jersey. I was about to take a swing, and your dad, all five foot seven of him, took that goliath down with a single swing.
Speaker 1: Dad, my dad.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah. He stood over Old Tom made sure he could hear him, and then just said be polite. Really yeah, yeah, he was just a James Horn. Yeah. Yeah, hold your horses, I'm coming. You. Let me and Barbara know if there's anything you or your dad need.
Speaker 1: Huh wait, I'm sorry, Jesus, what's going on? Why are you here? You all right?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I just uh the guy yesterday bit me and.
Speaker 1: It's Jesus, Jimbo. That looks terrible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a little angry, for sure.
Speaker 1: Your whole arm is swollen.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, I just hope that guy wasn't rabid. No, no, that was a joke.
Speaker 1: Mister Horn.
Speaker 6: I said I was coming, you goddamn.
Speaker 1: Hoppy, jim You can't scream.
Speaker 6: Do not tell me what I can't do.
Speaker 8: I'm an officer the goddamn law security.
Speaker 6: Don't you dare call o goddamn rent a cop on me.
Speaker 1: You stupid Jesus Jimbough.
Speaker 2: I'm hot.
Speaker 1: I can't, Jimbo, your nose is bleeding.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I'm so I'm so sorry. I just need to just sit shit.
Speaker 4: So if you need to sit down, jim we need a team. In Lobby three, a man's fainted.
Speaker 1: He's burning up, and for the third time in twenty four hours, I watched man being carted away. The look in his eyes in that moment had been feral. Spittle had flown from his mouth. If I didn't know him, I'd think he was capable in that moment of anything. Jimbohrn the sweetest man I'd ever met. When fishing with my father, we'd barbecued at his house. He threw Dad's retirement party when he'd handed the keys over to me, and still had coffee at the bar every morning, just like he had every day for the last thirty years. I needed to call his wife, Barbara. What would I tell her?
Speaker 8: Do I have the family of Jonathan Abbess?
Speaker 1: Here? Jonathan Abbess, Hi, Yes, I'm his daughter.
Speaker 8: Please follow me. Your father is stabilized, but he doesn't look good. He's dehydrated, and he seems to have hit his head pretty hard. Just here, Oh dad, the doctor will be back with you shortly.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm sorry, I'm just I'm so sorry about everything. The next few hours were a blur, you know the kind. Too much information, too fast, too many changes. When you're jarred so far off course in a single day, when you've lost the steady path, it takes time to reacclimate. They detests, took blood, scanned his head. All the while I kept looking for signs of life, fluttering eyelashes, a grunt of pain, a spare curse word. Part of me knew better, part of me just knew. Hours passed as they do. When I got tired of sitting, I paced his room, and I got tired of pacing there. I took to the hallways, and then in the lobby, look at you eating like a child. The hell? Hey, hey, Durie, Hey, oh hi, yes, Krink yes right hi. Sorry, I just I saw you across the lobby and what, oh it's nothing.
Speaker 2: You've got a little something on your teeth.
Speaker 1: A little Debbie. Sorry, I haven't eaten. I think I went feral vermint of there.
Speaker 5: Ah yeah, so everything all right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just Oh why you mean? Why am I in the hospital? Right?
Speaker 2: It's my father, your father? What happened?
Speaker 1: He's I don't know. I found him passed out this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do they know what it is? Were there other symptoms?
Speaker 1: No, I'm well the cancer.
Speaker 2: Cancer Jesus again, I'm so so sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I was so wrapped up in everything yesterday that I I didn't check in on him until this morning.
Speaker 5: And well, I think that's understandable considering I mean, you were a taped by a man with an axe after he tried to kill you with his car.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I guess it's just it's not gonna make the guilt go away. You know what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 5: I was meeting with the CEO about donation build a new wing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, just a new wing, maybe fleet of ambulances.
Speaker 2: Look, I've got to go. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, sorry, I was joking. That seemed to keep pissing you off.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's not that.
Speaker 5: I just have to go, goodbye, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Would you like to have dinner?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Good, I'll be in touch.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, just contact my assistant it's silly to say that you hate hospitals. Everybody hates hospitals. Everyone's visited a dying relative, or spent a week recovering from the accident or the surgery or the tumor, had needles pressed into their skin, tubes flow in and out of them, saw the terminal point where their hope ended and the science we built it on began. My mother died here in this place, of course, I thought of her when I walked the halls. I had my appendix out here. Not two years later, I entered inflamed and doubled over in pain, not sure I'd ever make it out again. But here I am. Now. My father was dying. I knew walking through the halls that he would meet his end here. I hate hospitals. Oh sorry, you surprise me.
Speaker 7: Oh sorry to startle you. I'll just be a minute here, all right?
Speaker 1: Are you family? Uh? Yeah, daughter?
Speaker 7: Ah, I see the resemblance.
Speaker 1: Hmm, it's not subtle. I'm krinn Marie. How's he doing.
Speaker 7: He's holding on?
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 7: He's been fighting a long time, hasn't.
Speaker 1: He He has? We thought we'd had a beat, but.
Speaker 7: I know it's hard.
Speaker 1: You live nearby. Yeah, just over in Havoc.
Speaker 7: How is it Havoc?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's fine. Quiet. Mostly you're new to the area.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just moved up from Boston, living over in Barnstead.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're a reveren habit coming to Dotty's, I'll buy you a drink.
Speaker 7: Might just take you up on that invitation. And what do you suppose that's about.
Speaker 1: Cops? About a dozen of them fanning out over the floor.
Speaker 6: Just keep everyone in that room for right now. We'll keep a couple of men on the floor here.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go find out what's happening. Hang tit okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Dad, Dad? No, no, no, no, sit still, sits still? Marie? Hello, no, no, Dad, the mask is giving you air. It's okay, sh It's okay. I'm listening. I'm listening.
Speaker 2: Bestroom, closset.
Speaker 7: Up?
Speaker 2: Black? What black? What box?
Speaker 1: Dad? It's okay, calm down, a black wood box in your closet, Dad, It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Mares.
Speaker 1: Demeris like like like my middle name. Yeah, okay, what what about it?
Speaker 5: Dad?
Speaker 6: Dad? Hey kiddo, good time, Jimbo.
Speaker 1: Hey, how you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 6: The sending me home gave me just a shipload of shots, antibiotics. Tiling off of the.
Speaker 1: Fever sounds fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, listen, I'm I'm real sorry about early losing my temper and all.
Speaker 1: Oh, jim, don't worry about it. You were sick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know what happened. I I just sort of blanked out there.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 6: How's the old man?
Speaker 1: Not great, Jimbo, not great?
Speaker 6: He'll pull through. Don't you think I don't know this time? Well may I?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 9: Hey, you old bastard. I need you to hang in there a little longer for me. You still only fifty dollars on that Dodger's game. Never bet against.
Speaker 1: The sacks Man. Let me break your heart.
Speaker 6: What can I say? I'm a romantic.
Speaker 1: What the hell's going on out there? Jim saw the cavalry come rolling in?
Speaker 6: Oh shit, you will not believe this. So that guy that attacked you, Bachmann?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well he uh well he didn't make it.
Speaker 1: I heard on the news. How do you feel about that, Jimbo?
Speaker 6: You know, it's.
Speaker 9: It's you do things in the line of duty, you know. Don't worry about me, Krin. They'll send me right to the shrink tomorrow anyway. Bachman At some point this afternoon, someone walked into the margue snapped the mortician's neck. What I know, it's insane, but that's not the weirdest pot.
Speaker 1: That's not the weirdest part.
Speaker 6: Krinn. Someone pulled out Bachmann's body and well, they cut the heart out of it. What yeah, left it on the table with a scalpel sticking in it. In the mafia, that's a wanting Do.
Speaker 1: You think this is mafia?
Speaker 6: They'll do. I know. My last big case was about who was stealing cheese from Hannafa's and we never caught the son.
Speaker 2: Of a bitch.
Speaker 10: You have a feel like this something big coming, Clouds gathering, like you know, like when Bob's knee hurts before starm I do, well, I got that feeling deep in my bones. Something's coming.
Speaker 6: Anyway. You should go home, get some rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had today to eat. Is a Swiss.
Speaker 6: Cake roll man can't survive on Swiss cake alone.
Speaker 1: Right, take care of Jimbo.
Speaker 6: We'll pray for your boat.
Speaker 1: Thanks love to Barb.
Speaker 6: Buy now watch the skies you.
Speaker 1: Too, Dad, Dad? Oh my help help, I'm.
Speaker 3: Havoctown was created by me Aaron Mankey. The show was written and directed by Nicholas Tukoski. This episode was edited and sound designed by Jesse Funk, starring Jewels State as Corene Abbas, James Callus as Jerry Havoc, Felicia Day as Sylvie Harris, Crystal Lee as Demeris, Robin Bludworth as jimbo Horn, David Calhoun as Jonathan Abbas, with additional voice acting from Kanisha Johnson, Sasha Hatfield, David Davrees, and Aaron Mankey. This season is directed by Nicholas Tukoski, with assistant directors Sarah Klein and Jake Diamond. Casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Our theme song was created by Chris Childs executive producers Aaron Mankey, Trevor Gunn, and Matt Frederick, with supervising producer Rima Lkali and producers Nomes Griffin and Jesse Funk. Havoctown is set in the Bridgewater Audio Universe, which includes the hit fiction podcasts Bridgewater and Consumed. Learn more about both shows, as well as Havoctown at grimandmild dot com, and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.