Speaker 1: Grandma called hi. Hey, he pulled me into office.
Speaker 2: Was like your grandma called today, Grandma called, I'm Pinatuman.
Speaker 3: And this is the NFL Player's Second Act podcast with me as always my first skill host, mister Roman Harper.
Speaker 1: What's up? I'm doing good man? This is gonna be a great one right here.
Speaker 4: This is a legendary guy that we got here and for a lot of more ways than just being on the football field. So I'm not even gonna waste any guy's time. Let's jump right into a peanut because I want to get as much as you can.
Speaker 3: I mean, this dude, this dude right here is a He's your quarterback's favorite quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yes you know what I'm saying, Like like he was him.
Speaker 3: Your quarterbacks favorite quarterback, no doubt be number one overall pick. Thirteen year NFL VET, four time Pro Bowler, recent inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame, and now the head coach of Norfolk State. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Michael Vick post. I hustled to get here today, baby, Hey man, what you mean you hustled to get here?
Speaker 5: I was coming from a rehearsal with Fox and we was down in the super Dome and traffic is crazy out there, so it was like I was borderline. It was like twelve forty were with like one mile and like thirty minutes and like this thing. You know, I'm adding of them like two thirty by the time I get here. Yeah, I say, man, for my boys, I'm let me out so much, driver, let me out. I found my way really quick, man, like for real. I used the waves bo put the glasses on, hat down, be lying I'm here.
Speaker 3: Hey man, New Orleans. They ain't mess with nobody out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody love New Orleans, everything about the culture. People. You know.
Speaker 5: I know you spent some time here of course a little bit, and so yeah, well.
Speaker 4: How's it or has it even sat in there like you are a head coach of a college football team?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I run, Thank you appreciate it. Ironically, this morning, I'm thinking about all the things that I gotta do today. I went to sleep kind of early last night, but this morning I could not get the school football everything that was happening within, you know, our.
Speaker 1: Football program out my mind.
Speaker 5: And I'm telling myself, I gotta I gotta find some time to get Norfolk State out of my mind because my whole focus has been the you know, whatever I gotta do on a day to day basis to turn the program around. And I'm here, my guys are there, and so I would say that it's really soaking in that, you know, I'm a head football coach because instantly I felt the responsibility and I got a lot of people that I can't let down, include myself. But it's been really fun the last month. It's been a lot of work, more than I expected, but kind of anticipated it a little bit, and so I'm not trying to feel overwhelmed like I stepped into something I would and ready for it, because mentally, I've been trying to prepare myself for coaching because I knew I was going to do it one day, whether it was at the age of forty eight or fifty. And God put it in front of me at the age of forty four, and I'm extremely blessed for that. And I felt like, you know, it was put in front of me for a reason, So go ahead, try to walk through the door.
Speaker 4: How are you now at a place where, like you said, I can handle it now.
Speaker 5: Always felt the responsibility of carrying a franchise or program. Being a quarterback is a lot of responsibility, and so I'm like taking on that burden now. I feel like I'm back in the same realm, just not with the football in my hands, which makes it a little more frustrating because it's not for me to go dudes, for me to hand it over to pretty much all my quarterbacks at some point and for them to go out and execute and do it. So I just I don't know what that's going to feel like. Yeah, but I'm trusting the process.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Let's talk about.
Speaker 4: What you were wearing when you did your first press conference. I mean, the jacket all good. Where the hell was you going with that whistle?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 4: Mike had Okay, okay, Oh, I love that whistle, So you love while you're whistle that whistle.
Speaker 1: I got it from Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 5: He presented it to me on the Fox set when I made the announcement was made, and that day I cried so much, man, that that whistle is like my comfort level. And I cried, you know, because you know, it was a bittersweet, you know, like I said, it abruptly happened.
Speaker 1: And I love working at Fox. I love the people I was with.
Speaker 5: I loved, you know, just the Fox in general, just the whole you know, company, administration, everybody in it. And they treated me with such respect over the last eight years that allowed me to grow.
Speaker 1: They gave me time. I felt like I matured there a lot.
Speaker 5: And so, you know, going through the segment, it had been a rough morning seeing everybody, and then they had a segment that they put together with Jimmy, and so Jimmy presented the whistle to me, and I just when he gave it to me, I just it was like a transformation, Like this is.
Speaker 1: It officially made me a coach?
Speaker 5: I felt like, And I was like, man, I'm carrying this with me every day everywhere I go in a football set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I won't want that way right now because I'm weird.
Speaker 5: But the day I signed, I was like that whistle was like my comfort level and kept me from crying. And sometimes it do make me cry because I think about the moment with Jimmy and I think about just you know, the transformation. It's a different it's a career change, and you know, a lot of people be afraid to change, and I always tell people, don't be afraid to change. I found myself telling people that don't be afraid to change and experience change, because you know, people are afraid of that. And there was a moment where I had to be you know, strong in that moment and kind of practice what I preached.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you'd head coach, it's the first movie making as your head coach.
Speaker 1: What's the first decision?
Speaker 3: Was the first thing?
Speaker 5: First move I made as a head coach was hiring a defensive coordinator. Okay, other positions, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I know what I'm looking at. I know what I'm looking for, But you guys know on defense. Excuse me, you guys know on defense it's a different dynamic. Like people take for granted that when we say defensive win championships.
Speaker 1: Man, you know you're just talking. No, it's the truth.
Speaker 5: You know, you can score as many points as you want, but if you can't get off that field. So I wanted to find a good quality decordinator who you want understood defenses and understood what it would take to win in the me at conference and somebody who had experience and loved it, was passionate about the game. And so, uh, you know, my former teammate Turns Govin. He was the guy that I spent a lot of time with over the years he was at Florida Memorial. He's had a success a lot of cessing his young football career, and I expect them to be a rock star in this game.
Speaker 3: And how have you been adjusting to the to the job since being named a coach.
Speaker 5: It's been an adjustment, big adjustment. Spend spending more time on calls and spending time with donors, fundraising, Yeah, trying to help the school and whatever way I can.
Speaker 1: That hasn't been really overwhelming. It's been fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And knowing that you know, these reps that I gotta get, These are rooms that I got to sit in, conversations that I got to have, and I can't shy away from it. So I'm looking at it like, man, I'm maturing in a lot of ways, and there's no different than what you know, Andy Reid might have went through at some point, of Sean Payton or Chip Kelly, all these guys that I've been around to work with who kind of forewarmed me. If you get into coaching, it's a lot of responsibility. So I'm just trying to take it all this strap.
Speaker 4: It's funny because a lot of people get into coaching because we love football and the ex is and the o's and on the grass. And then the only thing you're telling me about right now is meetings, hugging, kissing babies, raising money.
Speaker 3: Sound I mean, sounds like coach.
Speaker 1: You know, guys, you know why I say that though, because we we know the football part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just like, can we just get to the games already? And I but I know springball is around the corner. But I can't get the spring ball without handling. But I got to handle what's in front of me. And so I'm like, let me back up and take it one step at a time. It's almost like learning the offense. I can't go on the field and try to execute against the defense until I know exactly what I'm doing. And so now, you know, trying to just bring everything together structurally. So when we finally get to the season, well we get to springball, I could just focus on football and then I can tell everybody, Hey, we're in springball right now.
Speaker 1: Give me a break. Okay.
Speaker 4: So I also want to know one more thing, because the college athlete now is different than when we were in college. Yes, so everything's a little bit different. Yes, And so how are you handling the today's college athlete when I know we say that we can communicate with them, and everybody's going to listen whatever mike Vic says to them, right like, we're all going to hold onto your words. But how are you adjusting as their coach? And that I know they're going to be looking at me for guidance and all those other things in front of that room, And how are you looking at this young athlete like what are they doing differently?
Speaker 1: Or how are you treating them?
Speaker 5: Trying to have an open line of communication form. They all got my number, they all can reach out, they all can call and they all different too. Some of them are more outgoing than the others. Some of them going to pick up the phone. Hey, coach, what you think about this? Say coach? I'm trying to figure out this situation. And I know some of them feel like they don't want to bother me, but I make it a point if I'm not busy to get back with them. I want to have an open door policy. I want them to feel like they can call me and talk to me anytime and that's what I'm there form there for leadership, and they're for mentors ship and to teaching football at the end of the day and make them better men. So that's a part of it, preaching communication and how we got to communicate with one another. And so I got to hold up to my endview, do they treat.
Speaker 4: You like a celebrity on that campus, because like it's gotta be a little bit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Hey, so a couple of them asks for pictures already, I'm like, I'm like, man, and I love that for them. I love the fact that they get to soak up the whole experience. And so when a couple of them asked me for pictures, I was like, this is really weird, but I'm not gonna say nothing.
Speaker 1: Come on, let's do it.
Speaker 5: Because I could have easily been like, no, I'm your coach now, don't we can take pictures all year?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, let me just get it out the way right now. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And so after a while, once once camps start, once we get into spring ball, and I got to lay into one of them. Yeah, that's when they're gonna be like, oh, he's really coached for real, because it's gonna happen. It's gonna happen, and I want to do it in the most structured way and the best way where I can communicate it so they understand. Like, you know, I watched coaches like Andy and you know, Chip, Kelly Dan. We never really raised their voices.
Speaker 1: That guys.
Speaker 5: They just they demanded respect. Y'all know, some coach All coaches are different. We all had coaches. It was our coaches and coaches too, And so I got to figure out, like, what's what's my middle ground, Like what's gonna make me a coach that they gonna respect. I think it happens in the split second, like when something happens, you either gonna lose it or you're gonna keep your cool or you're gonna handle it how you're gonna handle it. And so that's the exciting part I'm ready for. In the football aspect of it.
Speaker 3: What's one of the best lessons you've learned. You just named some like five great coaches. What's one of the best lessons you've learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, treat everybody the same, you know in the program.
Speaker 5: You know, whether it's the people in the cafeteria, you know, our locker room. You know, treat the you know, treat the schnitors, the same secretaries, everybody in the administration, you know, showing them a great deal of respect, you know, because that's what you want. And ultimately being the leader that everybody feel like they can come to him, being accessible. I want to be that guy when I leave, I want them to say or if I have a leave or whatever happens, like he did everything he can to show that. You know, he was just like us, and he wasn't the celebrity head coach. He was Mike Victor football coach, and he really cared about everything that was happening around us. And I want my coaches to feel the same way. I want everybody to expire to be great, and you know, we all take on the same attitude of making sure that we hold ourselves accountable in every aspect.
Speaker 3: We're going to take a short break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Tell me or help me define what success would look like at Norfolk State this. You know, I don't want to bring up too much, but they haven't had They were four and eight last season, and so what does success look like with you guys going forward.
Speaker 5: Day, I'm gonna start with the now because I feel like we got to win it every quarter of the year this year, and so in this quarter, we got to be the best that we can be in our strength and conditioning program. You know, obviously it's a lot of voys and a lot of things that can be fixed that I pointed out, and we want to start with this quarter. When we get into the spring ball the second quarter, I expect us to go out and be officient. In the spring, learn the offense, learn the little things, the details. I expect the coaches to be on top of the players and the players, asking a lot of questions and as we learn, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the newness.
Speaker 5: And then in the summer, I don't want anybody to take any days off like you know, we know how in college football is summer was really it was important. I know one summer I took off and all my numbers dropped in the weight room like Vince went down, Squat went down. The second year after I thought I made it, so you should never really feel like you made it.
Speaker 1: And then in the in the final quarter, go.
Speaker 5: Out there and and let it all out and ultimately compete for that MEAC championship. That's that's a successful season. And I'm gonna set high standards and high goals and very lofty and they might not they might be far fetched, but you know, we're gonna shoot for him and if we miss, we're gonna be right there.
Speaker 1: It's because it's coming. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: I want to read some names to you. Deonne Sanders, Jackson State here co former Jackson State head coach, Adie George Tennessee State, Terrence matthis Morehouse, Deshaun Jackson, Delaware State. Uh, Charyl Buckley in Missipi Missippi Valley State.
Speaker 5: To real Buckley cornerback to real b Yeah, t buck no doubt.
Speaker 1: It's a big fan.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that. Yeah, yeah, I didn't know that. They'll probably add them to the group chat. We got a group chat with all those coaches that put together and a really cool chat that let everybody know what's going on. Players out there, who got because you know a lot of these players you can't keep. You want everybody. You want everybody to land on their feet. Plus it's good for the program. Yeah, when guys transfer out that they find a home as well. It really helps. So yeah, but but no, I just wanted thoughts.
Speaker 3: You know, you got former players and head coaches HBCUs like it's dope.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Like I ran into Eddie the other night and Eddie and I had a conversation, good conversation, and I'm telling them I was trying to find a coordinator and he was like, man, I don't been through a couple. And I'm like, don't tell me that is that the process just got to find one good one. And then you know, like Terrence and d Shaun and these you know, these guys he buck as you just mentioned, really getting the opportunities to come in and be head football coaches. And it wasn't that way a couple of years ago, I think five years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you look, you look at a guy like.
Speaker 5: Deon Sanders, who, since the Deon Seners era started in Atlanta, has been transcending the game of football in so many ways.
Speaker 1: And here it is.
Speaker 5: Here he is later on in life, enjoying the fruits of labor, enjoying his profession and occupation, and still giving back and helping guys like us. He was one of the first people to reach out. I reached out to him first. But spent some time with him a couple of years ago and told him this is what I wanted to do down the road. And he was just always like, why wait, you know, it's not gonna take long for you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: He always looked on the bright side when I'm thinking in my mind, Oh, it's gonna be different. I gotta work, And he just he spoke everything into existence, he really did.
Speaker 1: I was just so excited for you guys.
Speaker 4: I saw Djack he coaching the high school four year back home. Yeah, in Southern cal back at home, and just when you see all these young guys that are now just becoming head coaches. Yeah, it can only encourage you, right that you know, you guys are continue to do these things. But do you ever worry about like man, because as most black coaches, you don't get to fail twice? Is that ever, like in the back of your mind, like it's just understood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so afraid to fail. Like I know one.
Speaker 5: Football is a collective effort, you know, And I'm not going to shy away from this.
Speaker 1: It's gonna start with the coaches.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And Jimmy Johnson told me, like it starts with the players. Then the coach, I'm gonna kind of look at it all in the sense of, look, it's got to happen in your INNI since you gotta have good coaches and good players, and then we'll work from there. But always being afraid to fail. I think it's gonna keep me up at night and keep us working hard. And that's the way it should be. You know, we want that type of pressure. We've been through that type of pressure. And how many nights were the night before the game you worried about a receiver, you worried about you know, some type of you know, double move they might try, you know, and it's gonna keep you up, but you're prepare for it, and you know when it happens, you know, you just got to be ready for it. And fortunately and unfortunately that's as coaches and players gonna deal with those moments.
Speaker 1: And that's that's perseverance, is how we come out.
Speaker 5: When you come out on top and on the other side, y'all know how good that feels. Both of y'all haven't played on big stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I want to know your thoughts on having two black quarterbacks in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Again, it's amazing, It's amazing.
Speaker 5: You're looking at two guys who got a whole generation of players watching them. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, like what they represent, And it's the second time in what three.
Speaker 1: Years the same.
Speaker 5: Same, yeah, same to the best of the best in the National Football League and set high bars and high precedent. And you're looking at two guys who just really believe in themselves and got the right structure around him, got like minded people around him, and I think that goes a long way. So, man, these these guys are so good nowadays. Man like Jalen, he didn't he just had to do his part. He didn't even have to do a lot and just be smart with the football not turn it over. And Patrick probably had to do a little bit more because it didn't feel like, uh he had the type of running game that that Jalen had. The games wasn't as close at times, so he probably had more responsibility. But you know, they dominated all the way through, and I say the two best teams made it.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: Recently, you came out with the Evolution of the Black Quarterback documentary, both of those guys in it. Yeah, yeah, and I've watched it. It's it's amazing. If you haven't seen it, you got to watch what was one of the most rewarding things by doing that, that documentary to.
Speaker 5: Be able to gather all these quarterbacks, and really it was the older guys that you know, the Warren Moons and the Doug Williams and Shaq Harris, like their stories.
Speaker 1: You know, it just made me.
Speaker 5: It made me sad one, but it also made me feel good about taking the game serious as a black quarterback and going to Atlanta and you know, high expectations without even knowing the background of what they really went through, and in the early two thousands saying, you know, I'm going to try to represent this position the best way I can. I know I'm representing the National Football League, but I also know I'm represented for a generation of quarterbacks is gonna come after me. Without even knowing that I was going to have success, Like I know that this is a major moment. But I looked at the National Football League and I'm making the decision the Atlanta Falcons. I would say to draft me number one, and Dan Reeves drafted me number one. It showed a change in time, and it showed a shift you know in society. I felt like. And then ten years later, man, you got Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, cap G three, you know what I'm saying, breaking in and then you know, it's just how you got Lamar Patrick and jay Lee. It's like, oh, we can do this, man, we can do this. So yeah, that's what going back to those old stories and I wanted to go back to that and then work forward to where we are today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you did a great job. Yeah, man, And you talk about the evolution. I got the numbers for you right here. This year it was the fifteen black quarterbacks started in Week one.
Speaker 1: It was the most in the NFL history.
Speaker 4: And in two thousand and one when you were drafted, ten teams still hadn't even had a black quarterback.
Speaker 1: But really, yeah, okay, I didn't know that that should have been. That's the crazy part. It's not.
Speaker 3: It's not that like I was born when Warren Moon had to deal with all this, Like, it wasn't like I was alive.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. It wasn't that long ago. So just imagine that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two thousand and one, when you got drafted and when we came the starting quarterback, still teams that still hadn't even had one yet, so that as far the evolution has come.
Speaker 1: And who is your favorite quarterback in the NFL right now? Man? I like, I like so many of them. Man, I'm only giving you one, give me one. I'm gonna make it harder. I'm not gonna let this.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, give us the politically correct ones.
Speaker 5: No this, No, I'm gonna give you my like, my my favorite quarterback to.
Speaker 4: Watch when the TV come on, Yeah, I want to watch. I'm not saying ability.
Speaker 5: I can name a lot of them, but man, when pasttick mahomes come on, it's like, because I grew up Steve Young, yeah, and then John Alway and so you know, I love Steve.
Speaker 1: Steve was left handed and Steve was a scrambler.
Speaker 5: But I loved John because John was just scrappy and he was right you know, he threw with his right hand. But he wore number seven and I loved the number seven. And he was just like he was amazed.
Speaker 1: He'll run it a.
Speaker 5: Little bit at the cannon for Super Bowls never and I'm like he was. John was more exciting than Steve, and he played them on games so instantly. When I was in camp with the Kansas City Chiefs in twenty seventeen. I was like doing the internship for coaching actually, and I was just like, man, this dude before he even touch the field, he's a rookie, and I'm like, he's John Alway all over again. I told any that John Elway all this movement and strong arm, and and then he just took the league by storm. So it's like when fifteen come on, like I stop everything to watch fifteen.
Speaker 1: For sure, you know what I mean. It's a good, no doubt, it's a great man. He couldn't go. I don't think anyone.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone sayidiversity, Yeah, fourth quarter, fourth quarter, down by every time, every time I want to know, what was your welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 1: It's actually paying against the best.
Speaker 5: I think it was maybe Week two or three and the best came to Atlanta and I was a rookie. I'll still learning the offense and Big Tied Washington was in the middle, yeh, Mike Brown was at safety. Uh Couplacer was in the middle, and I just remember like going into the game, Chris Chandler went down and I'm like, yo, okay, I'm about to go in and I'm gonna get my feet wet. And Number I was coming out of preseason too. I had a really good preseason, but that game was so hard. And I was making throws and I was making plays, but it's like I'll take ten steps forward and I take twenty steps back. First down, down, nice past, then the sack first down, first down, and then the strip sack fumble man, and I just never forget how intense it was to make matters worse. Scrimming out to the left side, rent on their sideline, and it was just I just heard somebody like take out his legs, take out his legs. I'm like, hold on, you're already beating the living life out of it. Y'all want to y'all still? And that's when I realized, like, it ain't no friends when you step on that were just joking before the game, like talking, you're not being right, talkt your family, you know, how has your transition.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, it's gonna be man. We got in the game. It was boys was flying around in us. Yo. This this is the league. This ain't college football.
Speaker 5: This ain't Virginia Tech versus Syracuse or Virginia Tech versus Boston College.
Speaker 1: This good, great, on great every day.
Speaker 3: See, I thought you would have said the hit with Brian Dawkins four.
Speaker 5: Years later now they if you go back and watch that game against Man, they was bro I took some shots that day.
Speaker 1: It was so bad. It was so bad. My grandmother rested in peace. Kalitha.
Speaker 5: My grandmother called up to the Atlanta Falcons facility and was like, y'all gotta protect him better. And he was taking a lot of his because my grandma see him coming out to college where it was flawless, and she just seen me get whipped by thirty and and not even like do anything. Yeah, and then you know, being a backup Chris Chandler went down.
Speaker 1: I'm a rookie.
Speaker 5: It was just it was just really really hard and complicated out there.
Speaker 1: I just love the fact that Grandma called the facility, not to Grandma called here. He pulled me into the office, was like your grandma called to day.
Speaker 5: I was like, grand my grandma call. I called him Grandma, I'm grown, I'm gonna figure it out, Grandma, please don't embarrass me like that. He was coaches, like your grandma called up here today. Something I should know. Nah, coach, be good.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite game you ever played it?
Speaker 5: My favorite game that I played in was the game against Green Bay the playoffs. That game right there, not just because we was the underdogs a couple of reasons.
Speaker 1: Brent Father was on the other side. Green Bay had never never lost.
Speaker 5: At home, and I remember coaching the beginning of the week saying, everybody is against us. They never lost their home, and I'm like, that's something to play for right there.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, man, Brent fov over there.
Speaker 5: Though I see him CoV up teams over the years as I was a young kid watching it's gonna be impossible to beat them. It was snowing, but it was like not too cold, and you know, the snow wasn't coming down.
Speaker 1: To it was like the perfect night. Yeah. John Madden up in the booth like.
Speaker 5: This is this is like what I've ever what I've dreamed of, an opportunity to, you know, obviously go one one step further to the Division A round the playoffs, and I was in his own that night. We came out to First Drive and scored and we won twenty seven to seven, and it was just like one of the easiest games I ever played in.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I don't mean easy, but you know you have some games seeom mistakes. Yeah, y'all know you really like really no mistakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we talked about this where you know, I've been in games where like, dude, I just I got to feel any about the block is gonna be running, and I'm already and it every single time, I was just right, and you just every anticipated right, this, this, that and the other.
Speaker 1: You just literally in this out. You don't know why, but everything just you was on that team.
Speaker 5: And in New Orleans twenty twelve, Yes, became Bhilly We came here, yep, yeah, yeah, he was in his zone that night.
Speaker 1: You can't do nothing, bro. That was a tough night. Yeah, that was it. Does Then y'all came to I don't know that was the game.
Speaker 5: All these losses, but you know I'm talking about y'all being on top of y'all game. Y'all came in twenty eleven to Philly Chicago. Yeah, he plays on twenty ten too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, the best ones was all right.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and six, the reopening the dome here, that was a tough loss.
Speaker 1: For you. I spoke to you. Was on that team. Yeah, that was my rookie year. Wow.
Speaker 4: I was so excited to play against Mike Vic. I was really like, dude, like that's Mike Vick on the side, because I mean, I'm Madden guy.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. So, and you know, everybody loved playing That wasn't take experience.
Speaker 4: That was you know, even speaking to your wife, she's like, that was the only game I've ever been was like, we have no chance to It only.
Speaker 5: Came out of being I came out of it like questioning my abilities, like I don't know how much long I can do this because that right there, I've never been shut down. You know, you had those moments where you get dominated. It shook my confidence a.
Speaker 1: Little bit and you you still played great.
Speaker 4: We just you just it was that like nobody I don't think you could have did anything was locked in the beginning. Yeah, by Steve bro that was legendary right then and there.
Speaker 5: I was like, we have no chance of winning. It's funny because Jim Moore, I love Jim Moore.
Speaker 1: I think it was.
Speaker 5: It might have been a Thursday night maybe so on Sunday night, Yeah, it was Monday night, Monday night, and was like, yeah, they think they setting us up, and you know, we gotta play them coming back.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, man, we're gonna go in there. We're gonna.
Speaker 5: Instantly felt the energy the city was back, you know what I'm saying, which I wanted y'all want.
Speaker 3: To ship a couple of years later, Yeah, we did. The energy wasthing it on TV. Man' that's how That's how.
Speaker 1: Real it was.
Speaker 4: And you know, that was my first time in that building, so, like I because we were you know, Hurricane Katrina, so it was literally just my first time in the building. I didn't feel any of that emotion. I was like looking around and seeing people crying, seeing people the emotions in the building, and you could probably see it on your sideline too, But to me, I didn't understand why, right because I had never been in their previously before. But now as I've gotten older and looked back at it, I appreciate being in that moment and in that building just for what it was.
Speaker 1: You know, it's unfortunate versus.
Speaker 5: Like the only time I come here to New Orleans. I think about that and I'm just like proud that the city bounce back the way it did, and then you know we had the tragedy.
Speaker 1: Bro, you can't catch a break right now.
Speaker 3: I think that was just a bigger than a football moment right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was bigger than football. Absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about you know, we talked about some of your losses. Let's talk about something that I know you're probably extremely proud of, and that is going to the College Football Hall of Fame. You're in the class of twenty twenty five with some other big names Michael Strahan, Nick Saban's going in, Urvin Meyer, Helodi nod is another one. And before you give me your answer, I think it's important to know who and where you come from as well, because, like I said earlier, you always have felt like you had to carry the lot for a lot of people around you, your family, your brother, your friends, right from your city, like you've always done that. And then also your past that's checkered as well. But one of the biggest things that it says to be induct into the College Football Hall of Fame is that it involves this. This is their criteria. While each nominees football achievements in college or a prime consideration his past football record as a citizen is also weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into the relations with his community. So when you hear that you check that box, what does that make you feel?
Speaker 5: It is probably one of the biggest, you know, compliments that I can obtain right now in my life. Man. And you know, everybody make mistakes, and some of them are just more detrimental than others. And obviously I made a mistake that was like detrimental in like the middle of my career, in my prime, and had plenty of nights to think about making it right. And so you know, my promise to myself, my family and the people who poured into me was I'm gonna do everything I can because it can't be just to try to make amends for the public. So it looks a certain way. You gotta you know, when when you fall that far, you gotta you know, your heart got to be into you know, your passion got to be into you know, I'm gonna do things the right way and taking on that martu which coach Bemer always said in team meetings, gonna in life. You gotta do things the right way, and I came back with that mindset, man, and ever since two thousand and nine, I've been trying to.
Speaker 1: Do things the right way.
Speaker 5: And for you to read that and for me to just hear that as far as the criteria, you know, it makes.
Speaker 1: Me really proud. It makes me really proud.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It's bigger than football. You know.
Speaker 5: It's about your belief and yourself and your perseverance. And man, that those are the same principles and values that I can pass down on my kids and you know, if they ever get out of line. Hey, I want you to read this quote right here, the one you just read, because I had to.
Speaker 1: I had to battle.
Speaker 5: I had to fight, and it was a it was a good fight, and it made me the person that I am today. And you know, obviously, you don't get an opportunity to do certain things like work on Fox or be a head coach if you don't meet those criterias. And that was before you know, this even happened. So you know, people paid attention and you know, check those boxes. And you know what, I'm gonna keep checking them. You know what I'm saying that right there gonna keep me. You know, I want to continue to try to be a better person and continue to set high standards.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 3: How does your past, you know, how does your past fuel you just to motivate you to be better today?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just for really one day at a time approach, you know, knowing that you can go twenty three hours in the day, you know, doing the right thing, and you slip up in that final hour and then that's that's what That's what they're gonna remember, that's what they're gonna talk about. So it can be the most minute things. And so to think every situation through and now being a coach, like the standards that I'm setting for myself or setting for the young men, I got to set for myself as well. And so you know, just being conscious in the moment always and you know, knowing that you know, not just for the players, but even my kids, and you know, and that's probably shit. You know, reference them first, you being the best example that I can be for them because I'm always monitor them. I'm always trying to be the quarterback in the house and you know, send them off and let him run to play man and the hopefully they execute it.
Speaker 1: Hold are your kids.
Speaker 5: My oldest son is twenty two, he's inspiring to be an actor. My oldest daughter's twenty she was playing flag football. Mike said, my seventeen year old daughter just got a license today.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a little scary.
Speaker 5: And then I got a seven year old son who just finished his first year of flag football, you know, just recognizing what was going on. He really wasn't locked in, but it was a good experience to watch him out there. He like, Daddy, I want to play tackle. Bro, you got to learn to pull a flag first.
Speaker 4: That's he's like that black's born. I'm like, bro, Bro, like, Bro, you you're all right, man. Learn how to play in.
Speaker 1: One period of time. That's it. Yes, And football is a one sport that you can play later yeah and still be great. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I know guys who started playing that junior year made it to the league and been some of the best.
Speaker 1: So have you got time? Yes? Yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my last question is, you know, we've asked this question to a lot of people that came on the pod, Mount Rushmore. If you had your personal Mount Rushmore of people that have helped you, shaped you, molded you, mentoreds you coached you. Just to get you from when you was a little pup to where you are right now a head coach of Norfolk State. Who would those four people be?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: Man, it's all coaches, man, ironically, because I felt like they was always the ones who was like there when I needed them the most.
Speaker 1: My high school coach, Timmy Raymond.
Speaker 5: College coach Frank Beamer, Dan Reeves, and Jim Moore and then Andy Andy Reid, and.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people in between.
Speaker 5: But it it's like, you know, part of the reasons I wanted to become a head coach is because I know what it means to a young man who just needs some guidance. And sometimes we might might not have both parents in the household. It's something something might be lacking. A lot of kids are different, Some are outgoing, some of them are introverted. You know, I was one of the introverted kids, and they had to pull a lot out of me.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 5: It's a strength to your coach. You know, I need some help with this coach and what you think about this, And I just wanted to. I want to be that for them, you know, for my my players, you know, for my kids. And so when I think about all the great the greatest mentors in my life. Man, I just think about the guys who coached me.
Speaker 3: Well, Mike, Man, you're awesome as always.
Speaker 1: No doubt, man, you no doubt.
Speaker 4: Really proud of you, man, honestly, man, you know what I do want to ask one more quick The Michael Vick Experience probably one of the greatest, most underrated commercials.
Speaker 1: Of all time. If you could have a roller coaster, like, what would it? Just like that?
Speaker 5: It was just like guys like y'all coming at me, you coming down in the box, pean up, punching at the ball to us, Me trying to get away.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: That was like a commercial that I didn't approve of because I'm like, man, I need something more urban.
Speaker 1: I need to be running through the neighborhood.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, sweatsuit on sweating and you know something that's more dramatic. And now that I look at that commercial, I'm like, Yo, they knocked that one out the park. They knocked that one out the park because you know, it's about longevity. And we got generations who still talk about that commercial and the Michael Vick Experience. You know, somebody was way ahead of their time. So yeah, no, It's a cool moment, man, definitely cool.
Speaker 3: You were trends that are at the position on shoes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can get that if you're not doing something right, So you are you gonna bring it back?
Speaker 1: Like like I'm trying to work on the retro with Nike.
Speaker 5: Hopefully they'll see that it is worth it and it makes sense to them and so it you know, part of the reason I took the job and found out there was a Nike school and like, man, we can do something with this. Yeah yeah, so hopefully man praying and.
Speaker 1: Then get them in the golf version too, so I can.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, we definitely make it a golf shoot for sure. Okay, but man, different brand. But we appreciate you coming out great. Man, this is awesome. Bro, this was so dope.
Speaker 3: I've always been a fan of yours. Just yeah, just I'm a Michael Vave fan.
Speaker 1: Man, appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 3: Wishing you another success.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man, appreciate it, Yes, sir, h