Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Good morning, and welcome to Breaking Points. Crystal. How was your Christmas? Ah?
Speaker 2: It was lovely, great time with family, all that good stuff. We went up to New York for a little bit and traffic wasn't terribly bad, so I count that as a real blessing.
Speaker 4: How about you, em.
Speaker 3: It was good, It was good. It was a white Christmas in Wisconsin, so that was Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh, are you a fan of the white Christmas situation? My youngest daughter is like obsessed with snow. She says she wants to live in the North Bowl in the North.
Speaker 3: I mean, you gotta have snow like it's it's really I find it very depressing when there's no snow on Christmas. But this is the world we live in now.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, indeed a lot to get to you in the show today. Also, because we've been off, there's like a backlog of stories for us to talk about. But we also have some breaking news, which is that Jimmy Carter has passed at the age of one hundred. So we'll take a little bit of a look at his I would say, sort of complicated legacy. A lot of people see it a lot of different ways. Trump jumped in and shows sides in this ongoing war between Elon Muskin and Bake Ramaswami versus MAGA types like Laura Lumer, et cetera. I'm very excited to hear what you have to say about this, Emily, So I'm looking forward to to sitting back and hearing your thoughts on this whole skirmish that has unfolded.
Speaker 3: We'll also get a little bit of Sager's thoughts because this is one of Sager's hobby horses, so we'll be all over that too.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: In Indians We're catching a lot of stories in this. Oh boy strays is probably the nicest way you could put it. They were, you know, taking a lot of direct in this. So yeah, we'll include some of his thoughts in that block as well, Theoman weighing in on the potential coming TikTok ban as well as Trump weigh in on the potential TikTok ban. That part is probably a little more noworthy than theovon, but we'll give both of their thoughts on that. In terrible news, the last hospital in Gaza has now been destroyed. The head of that hospital has been detained. Reports are that he is being tortured, his family issuing a plea for him to be returned safely. So just continuing horror in the Gaza strip being committed by the IDF.
Speaker 4: We've got a new.
Speaker 2: Poll revealing how the country really feels about the murder of that healthcare CEO. And Joe Biden apparently thinks he would have beat Trump emily levels of delusion that I previously thought were not even possible.
Speaker 4: Are are disagreeing to the four? Yeah? Just amazing.
Speaker 3: You think, you shockingly think that Donald Trump's at least sentience would have defeated. We beat Medicare Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: It seems like he had a little bit of an edge going into that one, I will say, so any way, he's Biden is finally giving a couple interviews talking about some of his regrets. None of them are the thing I mean. Some of them are like, okay, little political things that he should have done differently, but none of them are like, hey, maybe I shouldn't have run for reelection as this old man who can barely put two sentences together. That party apparently feels no regrets over. So in any case, let's go ahead and jump into this significant news, which is that Jimmy Carter, former president of course, has passed away at the age of one hundred. It's been almost two years since Emily we received the news that he was entering hospice care and foregoing further sort of attempts to you know, extend his life, and he held on much longer than anyone expected. His passing leaves Joe Biden as the now oldest living president and Donald Trump as the oldest you know living second oldest living America and president. So kind of an incredible life, you know, born in rural Georgia obviously in the early nineteen hundreds, but it was in such a remote part of the country that it was almost like, you know, the lifestyle was still very much eighteen hundreds. So the amount of change and progress and turmoil and all of that that he's seen in his lifetime is hard to truly wrap her head around. And you know, in some ways, it's sort of fitting that he passed at this moment because his presidency really was a transition between the New Deal era and the neoliberal era. A lot of people think of Ronald Reagan as the first truly neoliberal president, which I think is fair, But Jimmy Carter did a lot of neoliberal policies himself. He deregulated the airlines, he regulated the trucking industry, deregulated some of the energy industry. He's the person who installs Paul Volker at the FED. There was a lot of neoliberalism that he was starting to you're in and now here we are kind of at the end of that era. Now is think, especially with Trump retaking the White House, what exactly that's going to look like. We'll talk about more when we get into this fight between Elon maga, et cetera. But certainly here and around the world, that particular era is coming to a close, and so in some ways it's fitting that this is when Jimmy Carter makes his exit.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, that's an interesting point because right now preparations are underway obviously for the funeral, and so typically that brings together all of the living presidents and first ladies, and we've seen that handled a little bit differently during the Trump era. It always does provide some insights into, for example, just how well the Bush family gets along with the Obama family, and you sort of get to see some displays that I think are often unfortunate and displays that are in some ways, you know, give people like Whoopi Goldberg hope that the country is just going to keep on, keep it on, because.
Speaker 2: You get to see also how much Jill Biden apparently likes Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, oh, maybe he'll wear his cologne again, so I have to see. But all that is to say, Jimmy Carter, to your point, was born in the nineteen twenties. He was born before nuclear weapons were invented, and became a president in the middle of the Cold War, and to this day our foreign policy, for example, think about Israel and Iran is informed by our conduct during the Cold War and the way that the world was dramatically shrunk because of nuclear weapons, which happened literally in his youth. So it's just an incredible is an incredible life.
Speaker 2: And Joe Biden was apparently the first Senator to endorse Jimmy Carter in that Democratic primary all those many years ago, so something some of our political figures still definitely hanging in there from that era. One of the things that are typically cited as a signature achievement of his administration, certainly in terms of foreign policy, is the Camp David Accords, which brought peace between Egypt and Israel. You, as a supporter of the Palestinian cause, I see that somewhat differently. It really was a blow to Palestinians. They were excluded from the negotiations. It broke up this sort of Pan Arab unity. Egypt was in many ways their most powerful ally, and there were demands there. There are conditions for Israel to respect Palestinians sovereignty in the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip, but they were never enforced and were sort of always loose enough to allow Israel to continue the project of settlement expansion, which has continued under every single Israeli Prime minister, regardless of party or political you know, political inclination. And so, you know, on the one hand, it did bring peace between these two neighbors, resolved issues with the Sinai Peninsula. But on the other hand, it really was a blow ultimately to the strength and the solidarity, the Pan Arab solidarity of the Palestinian movement. You know, a lot of people also make a distinguished distinguished between Jimmy Carter in office, and most people see his presidency as you know, sort of a failure. There's a lot of economic turmoil, there's a lot of political turmoil. Obviously, the you know, Iran hostage situation, which in many ways was engineered by the then incoming Ronald Reagan administration. We can leave that aside for another day, clearly was a blow to American self esteem. I mean, it's true, it was pretty well documented that they had this back channel negotiation of hey, you hold on to these hostages until I get into the White House, and then you release them, which exactly what happens.
Speaker 4: I mean, you want to.
Speaker 2: Talk about foreign election interference that kind of takes the cake. Most people feel though, his post presidency has been quite remarkable and quite dramatically different from the way that whether it's certainly Clinton Obama, whether the way that most presidents have in the modern era just used the post presidency as a chance to effectively cash in. And yeah, I think Obama is in some ways the worst example of this, because with the Clintons, at least there was some semblance of even though we're not big fans of the Clinton Foundation, here there was some semblance of like, oh, we're doing this for the international good, etc. With the Obama it's been clearly like just their own personal sort of like brand building and you know, their own legacy protection, versus truly being an associated with any larger cause than themselves. Jimmy Carter, of course, famously very involved in global health initiatives, was working building himself homes for habitat for humanity into his nineties, which is quite extraordinary. And the other thing is he and his wife lived in the same modest Georgia house until, you know, until the very end, until they both ultimately passed. And part of this is a point that Michael Tracy and others have been making the fact that he didn't sell out to the corporate world left him free to speak out quite you know, plainly and boldly on any number of issues, one of those issues being Israel and Palestine. A lot of people are sharing this interview that he did a while back with Amy Goodman. Let me go ahead and pull up a little bit of this where he not only calls out Israel for you know, creating an apartheid state, but he also calls out apak and the influence of money in politics and explains why Americans, you know, are unable to see this conflict as clearly as he is. And let me go ahead and play a little bit of what he had to say.
Speaker 6: They were apartheid is is exactly accurate. You know, this is an area that's occupied by two powers. They're not completely separated. The Palestinians can even ride on the same roads that the Israels have created or built in Palestinian territory. The israel Is never see a Palestinian except there Israeli soldiers. The Palestinian has never seen is Ready except in the distance, except he is Ready soldiers. So within Palestinian territory they're absolutely and totally separated, much worse than they were in South Africa, by the way. And the other thing is the other definition of a part, that is, one side dominates the other, and he is ready to completely dominate the life of the Palestinian people.
Speaker 3: Why don't Americans know what you have seen?
Speaker 6: Americans don't want to know, and the Israelis don't want to know what is going on inside Palestine. It's a terrible human rights persecution that is far transcends what any outsider would imagine. And they're powerful political forces in America that prevents any objective analysis of the problem in the Holy Land. I think it's accurate to say that not a single member of Congress with which I'm with whom I'm familiar would possibly speak out and call for Israel to withdraw to their legal boundaries, or to publicize the plight of the Palestinians, or even to call publicly and repeatedly for good faith peace talks. There had been a day of peace talks now in more than seven years, So this is a taboo subject. And I would say that if any member of Congress did speak out as I've just described, they would probably not be back into Congress the next term.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 2: And I do think part of why he was able and felt free to speak out such as this, to go visit any world leader that effectively asked him to, even you know, people like Castro, who obviously most you know, living American presidents would not be going and visiting, was because he was not bought off by anyone. He truly was his own man until the end. And I think you know that aspect of his legacy to me is very is extremely admirable.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's a really good point. There's this sense of, you know, I hate when politicians say I've served in Congress or I've served the constituents of my district for a decade. It's not service to people anymore. That ethic is completely scrubbed from Washington. But Jimmy Carter is sort of old enough that you know, in a lot of ways he represented how elites used to see politics. I'm not saying it's like better or worse, but there's like this no bless oblige about the privilege of power, and that it would it would sort of be shameful and embarrassing to be so brazen as the Obamas are or Another great example is actually, as the Bidens were in Biden's host vice presidency, the brazenness with which they exploited their power would have been really shameful in other eras of American history. And Jimmy Carter somebody for him that is like very obvious, and we look at him as different now because he has handled it differently in the last year compared to how our presidents have in the last couple of decades. But the only thing I wanted to mention on that crystal is he's also old enough as a Democrat that he was friends with Billy Graham and the sort of evangelical wave in the moral majority people in the seventies and the eighties. And to have him talking about the Middle East in the way that he's talked about the Middle East since is incredibly noteworthy. Really rankles conservatives. Obviously, nobody needs me to say that, but it's clear that he really was informed by his faith throughout his tenure, also true and afterwards, and in a way that again is seen as crazy now it's seen as exceptional and different before a Southern Democrat in the nineteen seventies, you know, it really wasn't well.
Speaker 2: And the contrast with Trump is also quite remarkable because Trump didn't wait till his post presidency to cash in. You know, famously, if you wanted to get in with him, you would stay at his hotel and make sure you ran up a big bill. Now he has his own crypto coin. He's selling sneakers selling it gus. You reference before selling a cologne. Jimmy Carter sold his peanut farm before he entered the White House, just to make it clear that he had no potential conflict of interest. That's how dramatically different, you know, his view of the responsibilities of the presidency were versus Trump and the Trump family. I mean Trump cashing in with live golf, Jared Kushner getting two billion dollars from the Saudist. The list goes on and on. And you had David Seroa pointing out that another area where Carter was very clearly outspoken in a way that you just don't see from any of the other living American presidents is on money in politics. And he says he was the one ex president of the modern air to openly admit and lament the truth about what America has become in the post Citizens United era National Press Corp. Probably won't mention this, but it was really something. Jimmy Carter said, US is an oligarchy with unlimited political bribery, and you know, and really sounded off against the Citizens United ruling, which was one of a number of Supreme Court rulings that really opened the floodgates of huge money and politics, the likes of which were not possible in the past and which have reached, you know, unbelievable new dystopian heights, with Elon Musk in particular, putting in a court more than a quarter of a billion dollars into this last presidential campaign and basically expecting to run the government and achieve whatever policies that he wants to achieve, not the guy that just got elected, but that he wants to achieve. And so, you know, it's that's been a long time coming, and obviously both parties have decided to fully embrace big money in politics. But it's also noteworthy that, you know, as Jimmy Carter officially exits the scene, you know, we've reached a new, i think undeniable peak of American oligarchy that is quite disturbing, and you know, has clearly now not just disturbing lefties like me, but plenty of people within the MAGA coalition who are saying, you know what, this is actually really a problem.
Speaker 3: Totally, and it's for Jimmy Carter so and again, who was born in the nineteen twenties. We sort of had this voice from the past, and he was a relic of a different era, and I think that's kind of what's disturbing reflecting on his life is that, you know, there were many, many, deep, deep imperfections in the United States of America throughout his life, some of which have gotten dramatic better. But the political system. You know that he's kind of a voice of moral clarity I think from the past, and a lot of conservatives would tell me that's crazy. But from this sort of like populist perspective about the American political system, he was able to see it a little bit more clearly from his vantage point. And it's it's a sorry contrast with where things are today. As you mentioned, like the Trump organization, Eric Trump right now just broker to deal in Saudi Arabia for like a giant tower, I mean, like a completely different level at this point. Yeah, So the Obamas are out making Netflix documentaries and cashing it that don't make any money, but are you know, worth millions to Netflix because well it's the Obamas.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Carter was also apparently the last Democrat to win a majority of counties in the presidential election. Usually Democrats in the modern era, they sort of run up the score in the cities. But you're we're all used to seeing the map where many of the rural areas are Republican. Now all of the rural areas are Republican, and so you know, it's a very different Democratic coalition at that point. I would say that some of the neoliberal policies that he helps to usher in, the trucking deregulation, the airline deregulation, ultimately the attacks on unions, all of that shift away from the New Deal era is a big part of the story of why Democrats lose so much of the country, lose so many of these you know, rural areas and rural states. And he really, you know, starts the trend in that direction, and the door on that era has been you know, officially, I guess slam shut here with with Trump retaking the White House. So in any place in any case, rest in peace, Jimmy Carter, and we can go ahead and move on to what's going on with Elon Musk and Donald Trump and Laura Lumer and all these characters.
Speaker 3: Well, Crystal, it's a great day for Sager to be gone, because not only do we have a significant moment in presidential history, but we also have this roiling skirmish and MAGA world over h one B Visus, and we know that Sager has so little to say about both of these topics.
Speaker 2: As Indian Americans and they're placed in the country. Very few thoughts on any of these topics.
Speaker 3: Yes, and about American culture and Silicon Valley, so nothing to worry about. We will do our best to channel Sager's energy, if not his ideology. We do have a little bit of Sager's thoughts to share with everyone because he made some excellent points which will surprise nobody. But right now, Magaworld is, as we just alluded to, absolutely riven. And this is not a media narrative. This is a significant division just to be meta for a moment. We're not in any way you making this sound worse than it is. This is a very significant division in sort of Trump World and we've seen that just on Elon Musk's X feed itself over the last couple of days. So we're going to start with kind of the basics here. I'm going to share a little tear sheet so that you can see what some of the coverage has looked like over the last couple of days. Actually, really this has been going on for a while, but this all started when Donald Trump announced the appointment of somebody who is supportive of H one B visas to his new administration shortly before Christmas. And if you've been following this, if you're on Twitter, what you saw was immediately a major divide open up between people who support H one B visas and people who don't. And this sounds like maybe a minor wonky set of differences among Donald Trump's circle, but what it was actually doing was pitting Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami and people like David Sachs, another person who has been actually formally appointed to a post in the incoming Trump administration, against the quote unquote like America First World, the Stephen Miller camp of people who thought, listen, this was going to be the administration that is serious about actually cracking down on the sort of foreign labor competing with domestic labor. And so Donald Trump a couple of days into this, you can see the dateline on this is December twenty eighth, comes out and says I have many h one B visas on my properties, which, Crystal, is probably the funniest way for Donald Trump to wait into this debate, to be honest, But people were with baited breath. You had Elon Musk tweeting ceaselessly for a couple of days. Again, going into Christmas, Laura Lumer jumped in on this and we're going to basically break this all down. We have Rocanna, Congressman Rocanna, who's been roped into this as well because this is an issue that he's worked on and was invoked by Laura Lumer at one point, going to join the show and break some of this down for us as well. But this opened up a massive fight in Maga world essentially, and Elon Musk and Donald Trump are on the same side of it now. So Crystal, this is a big chunk that's been happening.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Again, this pre dates Christmas by a couple of days, but it is still raging. This is. It seems like it's about to carry into the new year and into the new administration, which is now some serious baggage to deal with. Tell me, as somebody on the left who's watching this play out over the last couple of weeks, what your reaction has been to it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it doesn't surprise me that it sparked such a war, because it really does get at like a foundational question of how you see the world, and the campaign kind of glossed over some of these differences. But I think you and I and Sager and Ryan have been talking about some of the very clear ideological differences, especially between Elon Musk, David Sachs, veg Ramaswami, the sort of new tech bro coalition, and the Trumpest view of the world as it's been presented to the electorate. Now careful about how I say that, because obviously Donald Trump is decided with the globalist here. So what is trump Ism is always a little bit up for debate, But effectively, you know, the Trump narrative of the world is that you are struggling and you are getting screwed because of immigrants and quote unquote cultural leads, basically trans people, gender ideology like things coming out of Hollywood that you don't like and you don't think are the right values or direction for your family. But immigrants are a big, big part of that story of why Trump is telling you that you're struggling and you're screwed. That is a break from the traditional Republican message of if you're struggling, it's because you or in this instance, your culture is failed, failing, flawed in some way, So pull yourself up by your bootstraps, get it together, and effectively what you have in this proxy war over the H one B visas is a clash between these two worldviews. You know, Trump is, like I said, his ideology can be sort of hard to pin down at times because the truth of the matter is when he governed last time, he basically governed as like a Paul Ryan Republican with some exceptions, you know, tariff policy certainly being an exception there. But his biggest accomplishment is this giant tax cut for the rich, very traditional standard Heritage Foundation type of Republican.
Speaker 3: Policy, literal Paul Ryan tax plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was actually literally crafted by Paul Ryan. However, you know, in having this different narrative and story that he's selling that was a break from the way that Republicans had traditionally talked about economic issues. Elon is much more actually ideological. He's a fan of Javier Malay. He has been talking about how he wants to slash two trillion dollars from the budget. He believes that there needs to be this level of quote unquote pain among the public. Obviously, cutting two trillion dollars from the budget is going to necessitate significant cuts to Social Security and Medicare programs that Trump has always pledged that he wouldn't touch. He also went out and you know, was praising Javier Malay for rolling back tariffs. Trump always obviously is in love with tariffs, and his embraced tariffs more than ever before, at least in terms of his rhetoric. So, you know, ideologically, there's always been this huge divide between Musk and his pretty clear like kind of anarcho capitalist ideology and the way that trump Ism has been sold to the magabase. So that's where this really comes to a head, because what Musk and Vivek Ramaswami and all of them are saying is effectively.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, we've got a problem.
Speaker 2: With illegal immigrants. But actually we love legal immigrants. We want more immigrants in the country, and specifically for Elon Musk, he wants more workers that he can pay lower wages and that who are completely beholden to him, because that's you know, as a lefty, who does you know want more immigration in this country. I think we should have more legal immigrants. I believe that it's good for everyone. Is certainly good for those immigrants themselves. I have issues with the H one B program because it is so exploitative of those workers, and it is damaging to the American tech workers as well, because if you look at the numbers people who are brought in these quote unquote high skilled workers who are brought in on H one B visas, number one, they're paid less and number two, if you don't play ball with your employer and they fire you, you get deported. So I agree with the cultures and the Steve Bannons of the world when they say this is effectively a program of indentured servitude. But you know, as the world's richest man and a huge capitalist who also, by the way, gets massive government subsidies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all of those goodies.
Speaker 3: Well, H one B kind of is a government subsidi.
Speaker 4: That's one hundred percent true. That is one hundred percent true.
Speaker 2: He is looking out for him his own capitalist interest and this is a huge issue among the tech not just the tech right, just among the tech sector tech capitalist period. Which is why when Trump went on the All In podcast, which is like the Tech Broke podcast back several months ago during the campaign, Yosager took a mediate note of the fact that Trump offered up in that interview. Hey, I think if you graduate from any college in this country, you should have a green cart a stapled to your degree. That was clearly something he was, you know, knew he needed to give to that community in order to take in the hundreds of millions of dollars and the political support that he ultimately got from them. So you know, he chose his side quite a while ago. So it doesn't surprise me here that in the end he decides to side with Elon Musk because look that two hundred and fifty million dollars plus that Elon threw unto the campaign, Like that wasn't for free. This is a key issue for him. He's going to get what he wants because he effectively bought his way into this government.
Speaker 3: Well, what's funny is what you said earlier about this also being a key issue for Donald Trump. The rhetoric that Donald Trump used repeatedly in his twenty sixteen campaign and his twenty twenty campaign, throughout his presidency and since about immigration has actually captured a sentiment that is is not false. It's not rooted in some false narrative. It is absolutely true. I mean that you can look at all of the Cato Institute studies, et cetera, et cetera, but you could also listen to people like Orange Cass who make the plan, or Bernie Sanders Sanders circa like nineteen ninety nine, who make the point play in this day that when you are creating so much unfair competition for American workers, meaning people who can be paid less, you're going to naturally depress the wages. Now, whether or not that is made up in different sectors of the economy is a different question. But when you are bringing H one B visa people into the country to do sort of mid range coding, whatever it is, Elon Musk has been tweeting again sort of relentlessly about how this is not work that Americans want to do. It's sort of the work that allows us to attract foreign labor like a magnet. It's great for tech, and then these people sort of stay and bring their talents into the United States. And obviously there's room for some of that, but it is also disincentivizing the creation of or it's disincentivizing Americans from going into the middle of those ladders too. And what really the middle I'm talking about, like the ladder of career work. Now this let's put this. I'm about to share this Laura Lumer tweet since we mentioned her because she was sort of instrumental in making this a viral debate, because not surprisingly, it's got very personal right away, obviously we mentioned Sharam Krishnan, who was appointed as the Senior Policy Advisor for Artificial Intelligence at the White House, and well, I think in an AI position, it's natural that you have some oversight actually over the administration's policies on things like H one B. So Lumer tweets deeply disturbing to see thet his appointment as senior policy advisor. It's alarming to see the number of career leftists who are now being appointed to serving Trump's admin When they share views that are in direct opposition to Trump's America First agenda. So that just absolutely kicks it off because she's quoting krishan on saying anything to remove country caps for green card slash unlocked skilled immigration would be huge in response to an Elon Musk tweet about Doge. So then I am now going to share vi vik Ramaswami.
Speaker 4: Who I mean, it's just where really get interesting.
Speaker 3: This is the gasoline on the fire. So it's already a significant sort of internecine battle in Maga world. But then vivike Ramaswami comes in with this very interesting and very long post on X. If you're watching this you can see that I'm just scrolling through it. I would estimate off the top of my head it's like two hundred and fifty words. This is the day after Christmas. Laura Lumer was like going after Rocanna whatever, like literally on Christmas, which we'll talk about. But the key part of this viviaq Ramaswami tweet is where he says it's all goes back to the quote Seaword Crystal, did you say that? He said that? It's a key part of it comes down to the sea word culture, So this is OK. That seaword. Yeah, I don't know what you were thinking of, Crystal, But he says, tough questions demand tough answers, and if we're really serious about fixing the problem, we have to confront the capital t truth. Our American culture has venerated mediocrity over excellence for way too long. He then goes on to say a culture that venerates Corey for Boy Meets World, there's Zack and Slater over Screech and saved by the Bell, he will not produce the best engineers. He's also talking about Rkle and family matters. He goes on to talk about Friends. He says, more movies like Whiplash, fewer reruns of Friends, which is incredibly offensive to me but probably other people too, but mostly me. Then he said, more books, less TV, more creating, less quote unquote chilling, more extracurriculars less quote unquote hanging out at the mall. He sounds like a parent in like a nineteen ninety five. He sounds like the dad in uh clueless. Actually, CHRISTI I was gonna say, like think of it.
Speaker 4: I it was better.
Speaker 2: This is one of I have many things to say about this, But one of the things that really triggered me here is, like I have a teenager.
Speaker 4: They don't hang out at the mall.
Speaker 2: It was better when we had the nineties mall culture because at least kids were like together, irl and had some sort of something community. I mean, yes, it's based on this like you know, gross consumerism, but at least there was some sort of community. Actually, now the smartphone culture is, which is I guess, you know, sort of closer to what Vague wants here of being you know, constantly on your device and being you know, buried in buried in tech world is way worse than when they were watching these sitcoms, which had lots of like family and sort of like basic morality community values associated with them. When they're watching those sitcoms and hanging out at the mall. That's one of many issues I take with us anyway, Percy Emily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know we're going to get in all of Mexican We have a soccer tweet, but it is it echoes something that you actually heard from JD Vance and hillbiliology that he's since kind of recanted, this critique of American culture, critique of the sort of white working class. It echoes a lot of the rhetoric that Donald Trump again was pretty instrumental in shifting the way Republicans at least talked, if not thought, about those issues. So let's share. This is Elon Musk. He says, the reason I'm in America this is on December twenty seventh, along with so many critical people who built SpaceX, Tesla and hundreds of other companies that made America strug is because of h one B. Take a big step back and fuck yourself in the face. I will go to war on this issue, the likes of which you cannot possibly comprehend. He's channeling Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder there, as a lot of people have pointed out. But take a big step back.
Speaker 2: He also he also agreed with a post that called the mega people who were disagreeing with him retards and said that these people, I mean, it's very Hillary Clinton deplorables like taken to the umpteenth level. And you know, to go back to the vags tweet, which I think is really important to unpack for a variety of reasons. Not only does it echo so it echoes Mitt Romney forty seven percent, Yes, it echoes makers and takers, it echoes Hillary Clinton deplorables. That's the language you're talking about, which has been a shared view among Republican Democratic elites, especially with regards to the white working class in particular. And so you know, to go out again. This is like, this is to me the core battle to say no. If you're having a problem, like if you're struggling, it's your fault. It's because you watch too many sitcomps, because you indulged in sleepovers and having friends when you should have been doing math tutoring. And by the way, you're screwing up your kids too because you don't have them in the like math Olympics every weekend. And your values, this is the core part. Your values are the wrong values. The only values that you should care about is having your kids in this extremely high stress rat race from birth where if every moment isn't spent developing their capabilities so that they can deliver shareholder value for the elon Musks of the world, then you're failing. So it's not only an attack on American culture, and I think specifically on white working class culture, which is extraordinary given you just had this massive like education realignment and non college educated voters overwhelmingly going for Republicans. It's not only attack on that culture, it's an attack on any value that's not just about delivering market share in a aggressive capitalist system. And that, to me is what was extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I mean for me, I like I have issues with the H one B program as constructed. I obviously disagree with both of these sides because I think all of this, whether you're blaming people and their culture or whether you're blaming immigrants, I think the real problem is point up at the Elon musk veig Ramaswami and Donald Trump's of the world, the billionaire oligarchs who have rigged the system to screw you and to benefit themselves. I think that's where the bulk of the blame needs to go. But the reason this was so extraordinary is because it really was a direct attack on especially white, non college educated voters, and frankly, a lot many many people pointed out that it's also the type of cultural critique that has been consistently leveled from Republicans at Black Americans. Basically like, oh, you're struggling not because of historic racism, but because you're too lazy and pull up your pants, et cetera. And now it's being trained at white Americans, and that also precipitated quite you know, quite a backlash and quite a lot of sentiment around this whole conversation.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it did listened, I think some genuine racism, because you get this this sense from some people who are out there defending Donald Trump that like, who are you the vague to critique white culture? Like only only whites can be mad about friends? Like how dare you as an outsider? But I think, on an even more serious note, so you just said something so important about how there's this idea of like so looking down maternalistically on the white working class, on the white middle class, even people who are going to college, who saying, I mean, that's what's so insane about this is critiquing the American culture while actually asking to import all of this foreign labor to compete with people who are going into that grind. As they're demanding you to stop watching friends start doing stem as though you can't do both, but like basically say more less sleepovers, more you know, like homework, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And think about that, I mean, how much of you thought about like, look, at team like depression and suicyber like. If anything, teenagers need to be hanging out more with friends and doing like the things that he is deriding here.
Speaker 3: Yep. And then and then after you do all of that, after you forsake all of the sleepovers and the hangouts whatever, you're going to be compete with foreign labor that is going to be paid less. So you're in an unfair competition. And that has been happening for decades, and you and I have seen it. People who get outside of the Beltway have seen it. That has depressed, psychologically depressed the American working class because it feels like it is all for nothing when you are competing with people who came here and claimed asylum. And you and I may disagree on this, but it is like it's a real thing. And are being paid cash under the table for this landscaping job, and you're a landscaper and you cost them more money, and it's unfair competition.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's why I think we need more legal immigration because when you do have undocumented workers, then yeah, employers are going to skirt labor law. They're gonna pay them under the table cash not have to pay the additional benefits and protections, and yes, that creates unfair competition. That's why, you know, like for example, with the just to stick on H one B example, it's not that I'm opposed to bringing in high skilled workers or immigrants. I'm not opposed to that at all. But you can't set up a program guest worker. Programs are inherently exploitative, like if you are tied to your employer and if you get fired, then you're deported. Like of course they can abuse you in any myriad of ways and pay you less and you know, screw you over, and that yes, depresses wages across the board. So it's exploitative all the way around in that instance. So you know, that's why most of the studies show is even in when you had like the Maurial boat lift and they had this huge influx of Cuban migrants into Florida, it actually didn't significantly impact the wages of the native born workforce. The problem is when you have programs that are set up such that they are inherently exploitative, and when you have so few legal pathways for people to come into the country that they're coming in in undocumented fashion and then yeah, getting paid under the table and you know themselves getting screwed and undercutting the local workforce as well.
Speaker 3: Let's roll this clip of Steve Bannon, because it just for a sense of where the battle lines have been drawn. And I think how significant again this actually is. This is this is not like, this is not the media trying to create problems where there aren't problems. And you can take it from Steve Bannon himself, who weighed in on all this again, like it's not surprising. These battle lines are not surprising, by the way. What is surprising to me is how surprised Elon Muskin, like the sort of David Sacks people were by this. So let's listen to.
Speaker 8: Bannon then nastier tweets he put up last night about MAGA being racist, which is the last refuge of a scoundrel in modern politics, to to quote Andrew Breitbart via Johnson right this last night we put up on the screen. I appreciate it. This is Elon Musk. The reason I'm in America, along with so many critical people who built SpaceX, Tesla and hundreds of other companies that made America strong is because of h one b take a big step back in. F yourself all caps in the face. F yourself in the face. I will go to war on this issue, the likes of which you cannot possibly comprehend. Oh yeah, tough guy, that you're going to go to war on the likes of which you cannot possibly comprehend. You're you're a manchild. I hate to make it personal, but what you have done is try to trash individuals punching down. Remember the first rule a gladiator school, bro, don't punch down. Be the punch a peer, a punch up, I responded last night, someone please notify notify Child Protective Services need to do a wellness check on this toddler. I hate to be snarky, but I think the moment called for it. When people come uph you got to take the temperature. No, we're not going to take the temperature down. We're not going to take the temperature down. Oh no, oh no, oh no, we do not. It's no backing down. It's doubling down. It's no retreat. It's fixed by NEETs in its advance, and it's not surrender. It's victory. We're going to win this. Let me repeat. The H one B VISA program is a total incomplete scam concocted by the lords of easy money on Wall Street, in the Ola Garks in Silicon Valley to both initially to just increase profit margins, but there's a darker element to it today, a contempt of America and American citizens, and we're not going to tolerate it.
Speaker 3: Crystal. Again, that's like a sample of what's been happening, and imagine what's been happening behind closed doors over the last few days. But this is a hugely, hugely significant divide. He invoked the term oligarchs. It was always going to be tense to have the oligarchs allegedly fixing the problem of oligarchy that Steve Bannon has his fixed banets on and has sort of rallied the Mega Coalition to take on. In Elon Musk's ex bio right now, it says, you know, the people voted for significant government reform. Yes, they voted actually for significant government reform so that we no longer function as an oligarchy. But the oligarchs, who understand that the public wants significant government reform, are much less comfortable with significantly reforming what functions as an oligarchy. When it serves them because for some reasons that are sinister and some that are just natural, they don't see themselves necessarily as oligarchs in a pejorative sense. They see themselves a lot away. A lot of the leftist oligarchs see themselves as the sort of benevolent overlords who know what's best for the people out there watching friends and you know, eating bond bonds or whatever it is. And it makes it really difficult, makes it very difficult to sort of actually go full maga when you are an oligarch. And again that has always been clear. We have been very clear about that on this show in our coverage. But again behind closed doors, these tensions have simmered, but never I think bubbled over in the way we've seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I don't really know why people thought they were voting against oligarchy when you have the most like this is by far the number of billionaires in Trump's administration now it's over a dozen. You knew coming in that Elon Musk was basically bankrolling, you know, a large chunk of the entire campaign in a way that is truly of an order of magnitude different than we've ever seen from either party ever in the in the past, you know, you probably have to go back to like like you Morgan to uh to really see this level of just oligarch control over the country and over the administration to see anything that is even approaches a parallel with Elon Musk. And it's not like this was hidden. This was clear, His ideology was clear, his influence, his whole of government mandate through Doge, all of this was really spelled out. And so you know, now you've got Trump like, yeah, I'm with Elon. I'm with Elon. I made that, I made the the deal was made months ago, and he's going to get what he wants. So since that has happened, since Trump has said, yeah, I'm on the side of the oligarchs. These are my guys, and they're going to get their way. Do I see a hue and cry from the you know, the MAGA base. No, not really, because it's never Trump's fault. It's always you know, oh he was manipulated, Oh this or that, lots of there's lots of cope in the timeh maybe he didn't really mean it the way that the media portrayed it. The other cope from the David Sacks, the world is like, oh, well, you know, we're really not that far apart, and this is all just like a left wing sigh up to drive a wedge between us, because you know, in some ways, I think this cake is already baked, and I think Elon is going to get his way on anything that Elon really significantly wants, because that is the deal that was made here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and since Crystal mentioned David Sacks, so you can look at this post he put on ax Elon I said that H one B should be overhauled, that it should focus on exceptional talent and high value areas, and that the scamson low paid jobs should end. This is not to say there aren't still differences, but less than it first appeared. Time to move forward as one team. Definitely cope, Crystal, because basically the Bannon position is still I think mutually exclusive with that position, and this question becomes what a level priority it is. So let's go back to Sagur here, because as promised, we want to bring him in. And this is sort of again it's a hobby horse of his. He says, I will split the difference with the fig the reason that Indians and other successful minorities in the US succeed is by blending the culture of hard work and familia dedication with the American spirit of dynamism born from the founders and the frontier spirit pure Asian culture encourages wrote memorization, conformity, et cetera, et cetera. He says, the culture I want to venerate is the American culture which beat the Axis powers in World War two, peak Sager, it had important institutional checks against hedonism, et cetera, et cetera. And he says the best way to recreate that culture is an immigration moratorium, as we did in the early nineteen hundred and nineteen hundreds. And then he goes on to say, I'll end with the plea to Americans of Indian descent reject the growing calls for Indian identity politics or DEI slash wokeness by another name. So, Chrystal, I think there's a lot we could do two hours a two hour segment basically on all of this drama, and Sager might still force you to at some point, but it is genuinely fascinating because it's this it's just this critique of the culture and immigration at the same time as like a lot of it's coming very top down, and the sort of down up part is being stifled by the down up. Candidate President elective should say, well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to go see hard On soccer when he's not here. He and I can fight this out when he gets back. But I think a lot of this cultural talk is like mumbo jumbo, like invented mumbo jumbo, and policy like to me, culture is largely downstream of policy, and usually when politicians are talking about culture, it's a way for them to escape accountability for their own policy decisions and their own corrupt dealings, which are the more proximate and certainly more controllable source of so much pain in the public. So, you know, when you have Hillary Clinton to use someone that everyone watching the show will find to be villainous when she's talking about deplorables, it's like, screw you, lady, Like your husband's the one who didn't have to and shift the jobs overseas. You're the ones that's supporting supported you know, PNTR and supports the Transpecific Trade Partnership. You were happy to sell out the entire industrial Midwest in order to you know, boost the profits of giant multinational corporations. So how dare you look down your nose and say we're failing because of some like inherent character flaw or cultural flaw. Screw you like you are the ones who crafted these policies that screwed the country, vast loss of the country over in favor of American oligarchs. And Elon Musk is well, he's not even I mean, he's from South Africa, but he is one of those oligarchs. This is he has one of He is one of the largest Pentagon contractors. There may be no one in history who has gotten richer off the American taxpayer than South African born Elon Musk, who now has been put in charge of the very government that is the only thing that could check his abuses, exploitation and ambitions. So you know, I obviously have been I've been trying to talk about this for months now. I've been trying to sound the alarm about Listen, even if you like Elon Musk, imagine it's Jeff Bezos, Imagine it's Mark Zuckerberg, Imagine it's Bill Gates.
Speaker 4: Like, as a.
Speaker 2: Matter of principle, we have to reject oligarchs having full and complete control of government, and that's basically where we are now. And I think you know Trump on this issue, he had already flipped on this issue, right, He already signaled this during the campaign. He flipped on carried interest, he flipped on crypto, he flipped on TikTok tik, which we're about to get into, which I actually support the new position. All of these things were not out of principle. It's because that's where the money was, so that's where he went. He has already thrown his lot in with this direction of American oligarchy for the country. And I think I don't care left right center. To me, it's not a partisan or ideological issue. I think that is deeply dystopian and disturbing and pretends really a very dark direction for American democracy.
Speaker 3: And I'll just finally split the difference with Sager, splitting the difference, which is that I think the public does have agency, and this is where jd. Vance sort of flipped himself, and that he was sort of pointing the finger at the white working class and saying this is a sort of it's similar to what the critique Republicans have made for a long time of the inner city black working classes that you just aren't pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and you can. And again, like I just think people do have agency. But I also think that the problems in our culture have been stirred from the top down. So if you want to start saying that there's a problem with American culture, you should actually look at how the oligarchs. I you would talk about this in terms of a lot of different things like marriage is an example, or childry. Like we don't have to get into all of it, but like, let's not pretend that these TV shows aren't bankrolled, by the way, by people like Steve Bannon who bankrolled Seinfeld. Maybe that's what this one is actually all about, Crystal. He is very personally offended that they can invoked sitcom culture in America, But I mean, in all seriousness, like the culture is very It's gotten a little bit more democratic because of things like TikTok, but it was very much dictated by like all the Garks. So on that note, Crystal, we have Congressman Rocanna here to help us break some of this down as well, because he was evoked, as we mentioned earlier, by Laura Lumer and has been waiting into the debate. Let's get to that, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: So we are very fortunate to be joined this morning by Congressman Rocanna, who actually represents Silicon Valley and was also catching quite a number of stories in this whole elon musk Laura Lumer Maga versus the tech tech bro. Great to have you, congresson, Great to be on.
Speaker 9: Happy holidays to everyone watching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same to you. Let me go and put this up on the screen.
Speaker 2: This is from your friend Laura Lumer, who had some choice words about you and this individual that Trump has named as his I guess quote unquote ai Zar. So she says, Democrat congress and Rocanna from the leftist Silicon Valley and migrant dominated hellhole known as California, wants to gaslight anyone in everyone who poses h one b visas and tech bros who are infiltrating the Trump admin. Rowe, why aren't you disclosing the fact that Surium Krishnan is one of your donors? That's the new incoming, ais are You're a Democrat with big tech donors who love mass migration. He gave your Democrat congressional campaign a donation of thirty three hundred dollars and twenty three thirty three hundred dollars in twenty four, less than one month before the presidential election. Of course, you're defending the big tech bros who serve as your sugar daddies. You are corrupt. Here are the receipts, Congressman. Your response to this attack, well.
Speaker 5: Laura Lumer had attacked Indian Americans when Kamala Harris was running, saying that we can't put an Indian American in the White House. I had suggested that she come to the White House when Kamala Harris would win and have Masala Chai with me. Unfortunately, Harris didn't win, or I would have left to have had Masala Chai with Laura Lumer. But you know, she attacked me for having contributions from Shrram and I replied saying, yes, he contributed to my campaign. And he has an extraordinary story. I mean, he's an immigrant who came to this country in two thousand and seven. He's become a citizen, he's contributed, he started companies, and we should be proud of the fact that people from around the world, the best and brightest, want to come to the United States.
Speaker 3: And when that comes to the H one BBS's, which obviously were the sort of policy niche that kicked off this huge internescing conflict that's royal mag world over the last couple of weeks, Congressman. The allegation is that they depress American wages because you're able to pay people on the H one b visas less than you would pay Americans, and it becomes almost a system of indentured servitude. But this is something that a lot of people in your circles feel very strongly about. Elon Musk himself obviously came out and came out swinging and said he will defend these programs to his dying breath because he feels so strongly that they are examples of sort of what you were just talking about, the way this country is a magnet for talent from around the world and people who are then sort of become part of the American melting pot, et cetera. So where do You've talked about this a lot, But where do you fall on the H one bvs is amidst all of those allegations swirling in Trump.
Speaker 5: World, Well, I think that there has been abuse of the H one B visas. There's no doubt that there has been abuse where people are paid below market wages and that undercuts Americans and you basically have no freedom.
Speaker 9: If you're here on an H one B visa and.
Speaker 5: You leave your employer, then you also are going to lose your status in this country. And there have been several companies, particularly IT outsourcing firms that have abused it significantly and they're getting a large chunk of the lotteries. The other thing is that while it's capped at eighty five thousand, a lot of exemptions are granted, and so you really have three hundred four hundred thousand being granted. And so I have said that we need reform, and I'm actually when I first got to Congress my first year in Congress twenty seventeen, god on Bill Press Grello unfortunately has passed away bipartisan reform bill with Grassley and Durbin and Paul Gossar. Let's make sure that you're not underpaying H one B visa folks, you're not manipulating things so that entry level positions are being granted H one b's. It's really supposed to be for exceptional talent and that's not the case, but that doesn't mean that we're not for immigrants coming to the United States, and really immigrants are contributing, should be given a green card process of expediting green cards so that you don't have this situation of leverage.
Speaker 2: What did you make, Congressman of the vak Ramaswami's long post about American cultural mediocrity and how we need to have fewer sleepovers, more math tutoring, less hanging out at the mall, less Boy meets World, more math, Olympics, less TV, more books, etcetera, etcetera. Do you think that Americans have and I think this was aimed in particular at the American white working class, do you think that they embrace a culture of mediocrity?
Speaker 9: Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: I'd love to talk to him about his upbreaking I'll tell you about mine in Council Rocket High School at Pennsylvania because I was one of those nerds on the math mathletes, and I happened to be a valedictoria by local school.
Speaker 9: But I also played Little League.
Speaker 5: And I was terrible at the plate, and every people said watch the bunt when I went up, but people said, everyone plays, you know, I mean that was the spirit. And I had friends who played football for Council Rock and friends who went into acting in music and what it would have been such a boring experience if everyone in my school was interested in becoming a math lete. That's that's part of the problem. So the school age in Silicon Valley now where it's like everyone's parents work at Google and everyone wants to go and do well at STEM. And I think what makes America extraordinary is that, yes, we have people who are doing interested in math, but we have people who are interested in music and the arts and the humanities and writing and sports, and that creates this vie culture and that should be celebrated. Then the results speak for themselves. I mean, look at all the Nobel laureates that we have in physics, in medicine and chemistry. Look at all the innovation. I mean, if I guess, my question for Vivik would be, if there was something so fundamentally flawed with American culture, how is it that we are continuing to produce incredible innovation.
Speaker 9: So it just seemed a little glib.
Speaker 5: It's something I disagree with, and I'm quite fond of my upbringing, and I don't think there was too much emphasis on sports or music. I probably should have paid more attention to some of the music or to help me in politics work.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny you say that because when I was reading the vague description of what he thought, like the ideal childhood is, which is this, like you know, from the moment they're born, they got to get in the right preschool, and they got to be you know, trained in math and ready to take on their stem career and deliver shareholder value for whether it's Elon Musk or someone else. Actually, the people that I've seen raise their kids most like that was when I lived in Manhattan, and like wealthy Manhattan nights, who would be the type of people who are you know, engaged in like the Varsity Blues scandal, are so obsessed with First it's they got to be in the right play group, and then they got to be in the right preschool, and we got to have Latin tutoring, and they need to take up fencing because that's the place where you're most likely to get you know, a scholarship or get an edge in an Ivy League institution. And I've found it, frankly, kind of terrible, Like not because that there's any problem with wanting to create a lot of enrichment for your children, but it just seemed like the whole value of First of all, it's sort of erased any sort of just delight of childhood, right. And second of all, it really erased any values outside of what you can achieve as a market participant, right, friends, family, you know, like enjoying pop culture, contributing to your community. Those pieces were secondary to just like winning this high stakes rat race. And you know, I think I think part of what has been appealing about Trump to many people who you know, obviously I disagree with his view of the world and certainly his attacks on immigrants I find to totally miss the point of what the real problems are in America. But I think part of some of the language there has been about, you know, there's more to life and there's more to a society than just GDP growth. And the Vig's post to me was sort of a direct attack on, you know, on the idea that you could value something other than what your market value was and what you can contribute to overall GDP growth.
Speaker 9: That's very well put, Chris.
Speaker 5: I like, you know, a lot of my political sense to the extent I have any sense, I think about what were the kids growing up on my stream in Amsterdam Avenue, Bucks County think and there were kids who were kids of an electrician, of a nurse, if a teacher, of an HVAC technician, the guy who at the pool it was the sort of big vice president at some company. But we all were on the same street, and we all celebrated different holidays.
Speaker 9: We engaged and.
Speaker 5: You played together. And I think that what would very mystic is this, it's a community. I mean, the kids of the HVAC technician at Electrician were no less fulfilled or happy or contributing than the kids today or kids of Google executives. And if anything, there was probably more happiness on the street where I was I was growing up.
Speaker 9: But so if his point is that.
Speaker 5: America should make sure that we have a rigorous education and and and we should encourage education, of course, no one is going to deny that he.
Speaker 4: Wants to get rid of the Department of Education.
Speaker 3: But that's.
Speaker 9: But that's not what he's saying.
Speaker 5: And it looked it's musicians often and artists where the ones are going to question income inequality or it questions.
Speaker 9: Their social excesses.
Speaker 5: It's often athletes athletics where we have people regardless of class.
Speaker 9: It's one of the few things regardless.
Speaker 5: Of class, where oh, you're a forty nine Ers fan, it doesn't really matter whether you're the kid if a billionaire or the kid if a janitor. Your team is going to win. I mean, there's so few experiences in America that are class list. I guess even sports now you get whether you're in the suites or whether you go and actually watch a game from the stands, there's class introduced to it, but it's not like, you know, you flying has become totally about class, and you can live your life where you go to school, your friends are totally with a certain group of folks and economic class and sports cuts through that. So I think Vivik's not looking at all of the incredible things that sports and music bring to American society.
Speaker 3: I think we can all agree there are good faith defenses of the H and B program that people make them in perfectly good faith, especially people with personal experience. But what the Steve Bannons of the world right now are saying is that the people in Silicon Valley, probably people in your district, Congressman who defend HM and bbs is so vigorously are coming to this with the perspective that is utterly cynical and self interested, and it really is about profit. It is about undercutting American labor. It's about sort of their bottom lines. So again, as somebody who sort of familiar with the people who are defending HEB so vigorously, is there something to what Steve Bannon is saying that this is something that is cynical and is about profit over the country itself.
Speaker 5: Steve Bannon had some valid criticisms of the program. You know, I probably maybe the headline of this, but you know, he's right that there are companies who are underpaying people coming from overseas, and that's not good, by the way, for the people they're bringing over because they're often trapped in these jobs being underpaid, and it's undermining American wages. And the other point I saw Steve make, which is true with some of these universities prioritize foreign students because they want to get the full pay for their tuition and we're not providing the same free public college to American students, and so you know, they're getting paid. Often these students are coming, they're either having the foreign governments pay a full freight, or they may have parents who are scrounging up and paying the full money, and then American students are not are being denied the opportunity in those universities.
Speaker 9: That's happening in California. So I think that anyone who's.
Speaker 5: Being fair about this should be calling for major reform on the H one B program. You could be pro immigrant and against exploitation, right, I mean, there's an issue about do we believe that we should attract immigrants to America? Of course, do we believe that we should exploit them to hurt American workers and labors now? And you can also be for education for all Americans and make understand that when you have wealthy foreign students coming and paying full freight, that that's not fair sometimes for American students.
Speaker 2: My last question for you, Congressman, is you've been sort of I don't want to mischaracterize. You can you can clarify if this isn't correct, But you've been open to certainly working with Elon Musk on Dode. You've been I would say friendlier towards him than I have been. You know, one of the things that came out of this conversation too, is just the level of influence he's been able to buy with the Trumpet ministries. You know, Trump has now reversed his position on H one B's and obviously this was an issue that was really important to Elan. Elon's been given this entire hole of government mandate. He is one of the government's largest contractors. He has massive conflicts of interest. You know, what are your thoughts about rising oligarchy in America viz a vi Elon Musk?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I don't like it that billionaires can pay the kind of money they can and spend the kind of money they can to influence elections. But Chrystal, We've got to be honest, it was both sides. I mean, we had one hundred and fifty billionaires on our side. We had more billionaires on our side than their side, So you know, it's billion is agree.
Speaker 2: I agree with that Roe, but I will say that there's a fundamental, like qualitative difference when you're talking about a quarter of a billion dollars, which is something we haven't seen before, and the whole of government mandate that he's been granted. So there's no doubt that both sides have completely embraced big money in politics. Kama had plenty of billionaires backing her. That is certainly the case. I do think that the Elon Musk influence the richest man on the planet is of a character that we haven't seen before.
Speaker 5: That's fair and I you know, I mean we had probably people giving fifty billion or one hundred billion, and not two hundred and fifty billion at billion. And I have a post all of it. I don't have a super pack. I don't take a die a pack and lobby's money. I have said we need to as a democratic party say no super pac body in democratic primaries, and we should be doing what Maine did is regulating, at the very least the amount a person can contribute to a super pack, just like they get regulated what they can contribute to an individual. They can only give me thirty three hundred dollars. Why should Elon must be able to give two hundred and fifty million to a super pak. You should be able to give thirty three hundred dollars to it. Before you overturn Citizens United, Let's at least regulate these super PACs. May it passed by seventy percent. The DNC chair should be saying we're going to run that initiative in every state in this country. By the way, I'll just float. Jonathan Jackson is being talked about in Congress that we want him to get in the race for DNC chair. So I'm hoping he will do that, and I'm hoping he'll make some news in the next a couple of weeks.
Speaker 9: But You're also right.
Speaker 5: About the conflicts of interest, and I've said that there needs to be regulations on conflicts of interest. With both the VACAN and an Elon, they shouldn't be able to avoid these conflicts of interest.
Speaker 9: But you know why Trump.
Speaker 5: Hangs on to Elon because Trump is fundamentally eighties wealth. Right, His whole stick is nineteen eighties Hulk Hogan. I mean I told you mentioned him. I hadn't thought of that guy since I was in high school. Right, It's all about make America great again, Ronald Reagan. And where did Trump make his quote unquote money to the send he did? It was all the nineteen eighties. And he knows that Americans are always about the future, and so he's trying to glob On to Elon, because Elon's about the future in terms of the technology, and I think what the.
Speaker 9: Craits have to say is we get the future.
Speaker 5: We understand what future economic prosperity and stability looks like. It's not just giving tax cuts and deregulation where the wealth's going to pile up in Silicon Valley. We've got to actually make this technology economy work for small towns, for de industrialized com unities, for the working class that's been left out. We've got to have a tax on billionaires. We've got to tax the uber wealthy to provide healthcare and education, and that's how we're going to go into the future.
Speaker 9: But my view.
Speaker 5: Is that instead of just reflexively criticizing everything about these tech guys, what we need to say is we're the party of the future, and we want technology to work for everyone, not just for these billionaires.
Speaker 2: Well, Commerce, and thank you so much for taking all the time out of your holidays schedule and letting us in your home there where your adorable kids are. And we're always grateful for your time and your insights, especially on those issues.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much, appreciate you.
Speaker 4: It's our good pleasure. Have you a year?
Speaker 10: Ye?
Speaker 9: Happy? Here?
Speaker 3: Donald Trump has actually asked the Supreme Court to delay the TikTok sale deadline. I'm going to share a tear sheet so everyone can just see a little bit more about what's going on here. This is very significant. We've covered obviously Donald Trump and TikTok a lot on the show because there's a lot going on with it. Meaning Donald Trump seems to have been persuaded by one of his biggest donors, Jeffery Yass, who has a significant steak in TikTok. I believe he has a majority steak in TikTok to sort of change the hawkish anti China position that a lot of Republicans, if not most Republicans took on TikTok, And now Donald Trump has actually they're set to hear arguments on January tenth. The band was set to go in place on January nineteenth, still is set to go into place on January nineteenth, but has actually the Trump Trump's Dominie to b Solicitor General essentially filed an amikus brief that asked for a stay that would delay the deadline so that Donald Trump could come in and quote work out a negotiated resolution, as you can see in the ABC News article there. So again it's not a huge surprise, Crystal, but another significant, a significant I would say, obstacle potentially being removed with the help of Donald Trump for TikTok. TikTok is desperate for this not to happen. They badly do not want to sell Byte Dance. Obviously, the Beijing based parent company of TikTok does not want to sell the company, even though it seems like there would be monetarily a deal that would work out pretty well for Byte Dance, given you know that isn't to say TikTok is a huge property obviously, I don't need to explain that to everybody. But in terms of like investment and future value, I can understand why Bye Dance would want to sell cultural questions of control aside. So this is again Donald Trump putting his finger on the scale of it, Crystal, which sets up an interesting realignment question because if we share this next tab, you now also have the TikTok Gaza discourse that has been going on. But this is THEO Vaughn waiting into that. I mean, he's talked about this before. Actually as well. But here's THEO vonn talking about that.
Speaker 10: They don't want people sharing the truth about the genocide in Palestine, and that's why that they're doing it. I believe that that's what it is. And TikTok is one of those places where people can still do that and they want to own it. They want to own it, dude. Suppressing, Yes, suppressing, Thank you so much? Yes, And I think, uh yeah, I mean, and people say thank you, and and people say like, well, we don't want China have our information.
Speaker 4: All these every they all have.
Speaker 3: What are they I don't.
Speaker 10: Understand and know what what that means? You know, like, what do you have my information? I have like six pieces of information. There's no way you don't have them.
Speaker 3: So, uh, Crystal, what he's getting at is something. So that is important to understand about Donald Trump. And we'll get to ultimately what may happen to TikTok. This the New York Times article how Donald Trump went from backing a TikTok ban to backing off. Well, one of the reasons a lot of people in Trump's circles still want a TikTok ban, in fact, is as theovon I think was just getting it. They've seen the surveys of TikTok content and the breakdowns of it being much more pro Gaza sentiment than pro Israel sentiment, and there's this sense that control is being lost or that you know, China is manipulating young people rather than hey, there are some organic sentiments in this direction. Is actually the same thing with the Osama bin Laden letter when that it didn't actually go viral on tiktokh and yes, Charlie had a decent breakdown and the Washington Post had a great report on how it didn't actually go out. But the point remains that there are sort of organic there is a deeply organic pessimism out American imperialism and American power. It's a doctor's place where people hash that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's that's really true.
Speaker 2: I think the point that Ryan has been making is the correct one, which is like Israel has gotten away with it, like we're going to cover that they just destroyed the last hospital in Gaza. Donald Trump has won the election. You know, one of the other oligarchs who backed him massively is Maria Maddison, the widow of Sheldon Maddilson. To the tune of some one hundred million dollars plus, she's basically bought the foreign policy. Israel's going to get whatever they want, whether people on TikTok are upset or not, so that risk has sort of faded. Meanwhile, Donald Trump himself personally has gotten very popular on TikTok, and you know, with him, it's all about his ego and like he feels like this platform is nice to him now, so that also changes his view. And then you coupled to that the jeff Yass, the amount of money that jeff Yass gave into his campaign, and it's very clear where Donald Trump has decided that his lie. Now I happen to agree with them. I think it'd be preposterous to ban TikTok. I think it'd be incredibly you know, damaging to many creators who you know, created an entire careers off of the platform, the many young people who love TikTok and get a lot out of it and find it to be a fantastic creative outlet. And to me, the arguments were always kind of silly because it's like number one, are you're, oh, we're worried about the data. I mean, theovonn talked about this too. It's like, what you think Mark Zuckerbarrock and all these other tech oligars don't already have your data, like everything that China would want to know about you. If they want to find it out, they already can. So that was always a little bit silly to me. And now the you know, the self interest has lined up in a very different direction for Trump, So I doubt that the TikTok pan is going to go into effect. They in the in the brief, they didn't actually weigh in on the core of the legal challenge, which you're on the First Amendment. They just said, like, Donald Trump's a fantastic negotiator and he's going to work this out when he gets into office, so just don't you worry about it.
Speaker 4: Just push this off a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I think that's also reasonable to say, you know, he was democratically elected and he's got a view on the issue, and he's going to have control of both the House and the Senate, and so it seems reasonable to imagine that he could potentially work out a deal here and not have to go through the Supreme Court process. But you know, curious for your thoughts on this, going back to the conversation we were having previously about Elon is like kind of buried in the whole pre holiday fuss over the government funding bill that Elon ultimately tanks and then they you know, strike this new deal, et cetera. One of the things that got pulled from the original deal with some restrictions on tech investment in China, which was a major priority for Elon because he wants to do this like Ai Tesla investment, you know, Chinese investment thing, and so this was important for him. Lo and behold that gets pulled out, and when that gets pulled out of the deal, suddenly.
Speaker 4: He's aokay with it.
Speaker 2: You also have Trump's previous hawkishness towards China is what led him to be in favor of a TikTok ban. Obviously he's changed his mind there. And you know, for Elon, much of his fortune is tied up in China, I mean, his investments in China. So the fact that he has so much influence in this administration leads me to believe you probably are going to get a very different orientation visa of e China in this Trump administration that you did in the last Trump administration. There's also a possibility with Trump, like he's old, you know, he's old, he's tired, he wants to play golf, that he's kind of happy to just hand off a lot of the heavy lifting and policy making decisions to his like band of oligarchs that funded his election. He gets to stay on in prison, he gets out of his legal jeopardy, he gets to have the pub the circumstance of being in the White House and you know, do the things that he wants to do. But also he gets to just kind of, you know whatever, pieces he doesn't really care about anymore, and not having to run for reelection, he can just handoff to his team of oligarchs.
Speaker 3: This is another one of those fascinating topics because it brings together so many of the different threads of the Trump era in that you have again Trump's own oligarchs like being pitted against one another. So the Miriam Adelson versus the Jeff Yeah. So you have the China hawks versus the sort of new right foreign policy, which is actually often very hawkish on China. But in a weird way, this could be good if it sort of is a counterbalance to some hawks in the incoming Trump administration, somebody, for example, like Secretary of State, incoming Secretary of State nominee Marco Rubio, who is extremely hawkish on China in a weird way. If you have like Elon who wants to be more protective of his own business interests, Tesla is a good example in China as a counterballance to like be hawkish and enough that we end up in a war because of escalator rhetoric or whatever. Maybe that's a good thing, remains to be seen, but it's just it's very hard to know what Trump policy will look like because we've seen on things like TikTok, for example, him just be so open. The most charitable way to put it is like open minded to and open to different arguments. But I think what happened with Yas was openly transactional in an unusually brazen sense. To get back to what we were kind of talking about earlier Crystal with Jimmy Carter. So let's listen to Donald Trump the way that he's talked about TikTok more recently, which is very different than how he had obviously talked about it before. This is Trump actually before the election talking about how if you want to save TikTok, you have to vote Donald Trump for.
Speaker 11: All of those that want to save TikTok in America.
Speaker 9: Talk closing it up.
Speaker 11: But I'm now a big star onok. You have TikTok jack and we're setting records. You're not to want anything with TikTok. The other side's going to close it up. So if you like TikTok, go out and vote for Trump. If you don't care about TikTok and other things like safety, security and prosperity, then you can vote for a Marxist who's going to destroy our country.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: That's the pitch.
Speaker 3: It's pretty clear. It's pretty clear. It's so funny on so many different levels there. But you can see crystal that as soon as he realized that he could have some control over the platform, it's not just about Jeff. Yes, it's about people liking Donald Trump on the platform. Yeah, Donald Trump's campaign itself being able to find success on the platform. I've actually always disagreed on this. I've always been in favor of a TikTok ban, and I think that it's different. I don't support this ban. I think this is the way that all of the legislation at band TikTok was written is insane, not surprising, but insane in not a narrow way. Obviously sort of power grab. They were all written to be power grabs rather than actually I deal with the problem. So that was always suspect. But in a sense then Donald Trump coming in and saying, hey, I'm doing great on TikTok, let's save it.
Speaker 4: It kind of worked. He did well with young people. It might have I don't know with young people.
Speaker 3: I don't know that the brief is going to be successful that they filed because we're talking about a piece of legislation that was democratically, that was that was passed through our system to the extent that it is a democratic it was passed through Congress, lamed by the president. So I don't know that they'll they'll have much room here with the Supreme Court. But even how the Supreme Court this or Trump era Supreme Court is going to decide on this is an interesting question because you have sort of more libertarian leaners like a Neil Gorsich or anymy Cony Barrett, and then you have people like Clarence Thomas, and oh, I would say potentially Sam Alito, who will go probably in a different direction, but we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, to me, it's reasonable to say, hey, I'm just coming into office, like just delay thinking about this, delay weighing this decision, and let me see if I can work something out. I could see them being amenable to that ultimately. And I've been dug deeply or at least not for a while into what the legal case is. But I think it's effectively TikTok is saying that the bill is a is a violation of free speech rights. Yeah, and that's that's the case that they're making. Which yeah, I would think that the more libertarian oriented part of parts of the court may be amenable too, and also the more like pro corporate sides of the court. But I personally I can't imagine TikTok actually being banned at this point. Like, no, it is hard for me to imagine. So, whether you know one way or another, I feel like it's kind of likely the Supreme Court is going to say, all right, we'll just delay it and let you work it out, and then Trump will figure something out because this is an important priority for one of his donors.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: Well, and also, Trump friendly holigarchs have been lining up to buy TikTok and like have been lining up investors obviously to make a deal that's sort of too good for Byte Dance to turn down if it ends up that they are not successful at the Supreme Court. So whether you still have the sort of Beijing based algorithmic magic that they feel they have with TikTok right now if it is sold is a totally open question. I think Byte Dance doesn't do itself many favors by saying, you know, on the one hand, we absolutely need to be owned by TikTok needs to be owned by byte Dance in order to be as good as it is, which means like, Okay, I guess I'm curious what you're doing with all of that data over there. But on the other hand, you know, what does that look like in terms of significant disruptions to the platform that everybody knows. I kind of doubt it would be as as significant as the people who want to maintain control of TikTok with by Dance say that it will be again because it's a very successful product and it's it's I mean, if you if you buy TikTok you're going to have a huge interest in keeping it successful, making it more successful, making it more addictive, is what it means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's that's that's the truth of the matter. To bring it back to vivecant Elon in that whole fight is we need. What we really need is less TikTok and more sleep overs and more hanging out.
Speaker 3: Less x less social media. I mean, it's just such an insane argument from the people who literally own the social media platforms.
Speaker 4: But very true, very true.
Speaker 2: So we didn't want to lose sight of the latest in terms of the idf onslaught in Gaza, they have now officially rated and evacuated and detained many patients from the last functioning hospital in northern Gazas called Kamal Adwan. Reports are some two hundred and forty Palestinians, including dozens of medical staff, were detained from the hospital, and that's to include the director of the hospital, doctor Hassam Abu Safia, who some have said are being held and tortured by the idea of his family. Is deeply concerned and this comes as you know, they've they've instituted this plan where they've effectively sealed off northern Gaza and are just you know, starving and obliterating everything in sight. And we have some images we can share with you here just to give you a sense of the level of devastation. This is that hospital director, doctor Assam Abu Safia, who you know, exited the hospital and is approaching these tanks, and I believe this the last that that he had been seeing. You can see just the incredible amount of rubble and also incredible amount of courage. People are commenting on him walking through this landscape and approaching these tanks outside of the hospital. I can show you a little bit of the imagery of the patients being expelled from the hospital here. This is doctors and patients. You can see on the screen. Many of the men were ultimately forced to strip down. The weather is you know, quite chilly now. In fact, we've had reports of a number of infants who have died at this point because of hypothermia and the freezing temperatures, who are already born, likely malnourished because their mothers are unable to get sufficient caloric intake while they're pregnant, and then they're unable to breastfeed, you know, sufficiently if at all because of the lack of lack of nutrition, and the situation is the most dire in northern Gaza. This is an image of that hospital on fire. And again this was really the last functioning hospital in Northern Gaza. I saw that these patients were moved to another hospital, but that hospital has been condemned because it also had been so severely damaged. So no telling where they're going to head to next. And then let me just show you this next one. These are a number of additional photos from the people who were removed and many of them detained. You can see them exiting the hospital. Also just I mean, just look at this landscape, like there is just just nothing left. You can see them here crowded together and forced. This is the men forced to strip down to their underwear and their hands bound and here you see them kneeling and blindfolded on the ground. So you know, just really horrific images and horrific situation that is coming out there, and you know, it's easy to forget Emily that just over a year ago, when the attack, plans were being made for Al Shifa to raid Al Shifa Hospital. There was a whole propaganda effort to convince the world that this was legitimate. That you know, they said there was this Tamas layer underground, and they created this whole three D imagery around what they would find there. Of course, they didn't find any of that there. They claimed to find some tunnels, and I think there was some alleged cache of weapons that they found but or claimed to find, but nothing close to what they had purported to say existed underneath of this hospital complex. Now here we are more than a year later, and this barely gets a mention in the news. The entire healthcare system has basically been destroyed in northern Gaza. The entire healthcare system has been destroyed, and I feel like there's kind of no going back, not just with regard to Israel, but with regard to the world. When you watch all of this unfold and it's just allowed to happen, I think, is this these atrocities and this you know what the worldwide consensus has basically arrived at that this is a genocide. This is unfolded in front of all of our eyes. No power with the ability to intervene has decided to intervene, and so it kind of, you know, opens up a new era of brutality and might makes right that you know, maybe you say that's always been the law, but there was at least some semblance of we have these international rules and countries are going to be somewhat constrained.
Speaker 4: I think all the shackles are off.
Speaker 2: I think that there's going to be sort of unchecked barbarism in the future based on what Israel has been able to get away with here with very little repercussions.
Speaker 3: And I imagine you read the New York Times report just what was this was right before Christmas? Wasn't it like the day before Christmas? About how this was based on conversations with internal IDF sources about how the standards were consciously lowered about civilian casualties, like basically the ratio of likely civilian casualties to combatant casualties, and how this was a conscious decision that was made internally formally by particular military leaders at different times that changed what we have sort of been told over and over again were the very high standards and previous conflicts that the IDF, as their defenders say, held to and so crystal. I think that does raise an interesting question of precedent about this, or of justification, because I was curious when I was reading that article about how it would be defended by the people who have said over and over again that the other ratios were the defensible ratios and were the sort of best in the world. And so I mean, it's also if Donald Trump comes in, and if right now what is happening with Netsan Yahou and Biden, is that you know, there's we don't have a president with the mental faculties to even be negotiating something like a ceasefire, given that we are the backer of this conflict, of the primary backer of this conflict, that as Israel said that this conflict couldn't be waged without American military support. So if that is the case and we're in this interim period between Netahuo maybe hoping to have a ceasefire deal with the back of Donald Trump, that looks differently than it would under Biden. It also sheds light on how those delays have enormous human costs. Right. It's it's if you're delaying it for the sake of politics, what happens in the interim is real, and people die and it ends people's lives. And that's so that I've been thinking about as I've seen these images coming as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, there's no doubt about it. And you know, the it has rendered human life so cheap too, you know, the number of people killed and just the amount of pain and suffering and destructure of every sort of civilian infrastructure like it just it has rendered human life really cheap. And that has implications that you know, go far beyond Gaza and you know, spillover effects that will impact, you know, the way the level of barbarism that people tolerate, that people think is normal, that nations think that they can get away with. And you know, at this point, previously there was some possibility that because most of the upset over is the Israeli genocide and Gaza was coming from the left, which is part of the Democratic Coalition, that there could be enough political pressure brought to bear on the Biden Harris administration to force some sort of change in policy. Like that was an ongoing question. You saw at times, you know, he would sort of bend to pressure with Hell's withhold this weapons shipment, Kamala. Harris would make some comments that seem to at least value Palestinian life, et cetera. So it was like an ongoing possibility. And you know, with Kamala losing and with Trump being totally like committed to whatever Miriam Medlicine and Israel wants him to do based on his first German office and based on also how he's positioned himself this time around, that's over. Like Trump doesn't care what left he's on TikTok have to say about any of this. Trump doesn't care what students camp down on a college campus have to say about any of this. So, you know, I hate to be hate to be so pessimistic, but when you look at that landscape of just nothing but rubble, death and destruction, it's like it's over. Like Israel gets to do what Israel wants to do. No one is going to check them. Their story is coming out that the dogs in Gaza, which at one point we're starving to death, are now fat and bloated from the number of corpses, human corpses that they've been feasting on. Like that's where we are, and we all watched as it happened, and our government actively was like, yes, we support.
Speaker 4: This, We're going to ship bombs for it.
Speaker 2: Both parties effectively agreed with very few dissenters to your point about the New York Times article, Emily, so that reporting that the New York Times now finally has gotten around to doing nine seven to two magazine, which is Israeli publication. It was probably right about a year ago broke.
Speaker 4: Down their report that revealed all of.
Speaker 2: These things, from the AI targeting system to the fact that you know, they decided, oh, we can target low level HAMAS operatives even when they're at home with their families, which is something that you know, most like no other Western developed society would be willing to do. Like imagine, if you know, imagine if a foreign power was targeting our like low level soldiers when they're just like at home with their kids, and think about how that would be received, or think about how be received if Hamas was attacking you know, not that they would be morally above this, but if they attacked IDF soldiers when they were at home just with their kids and their wife, how that would be viewed. And they made that official policy in it right, Yeah, And that's that's true. And in addition to increasing the number of acceptable civilian debts and even that number they would push up to like well, actually it's Okay, if two hundred civilians are killed in this attack for someone that we particularly want, all of this reporting had been done already. It's just that the mainstream press didn't find it like convenient at the moment to admit it. And actually, and I can can show you this. One of the authors, one of the journalists who was on this byline, had previously gotten asked about that nine seven to two reporting, and Ryan shared this, So he says, Bergmann is on the byline confirming that reporting on the idf using AI to target entire families. Yet here he is when it mattered, dismissing the reporting as mere fantasy. The New York Times international embarrassment. So this is the journalist who's you know, is on the byline now confirming this reporting that at one point he mocked and compared it to a Netflix show. Just take a listen to this.
Speaker 7: You know, sometimes people come to be you know, for sources and stories, and I think about the stories that they are too bad to be true. They sound go like Netflix episode, And something.
Speaker 2: Happened more like a Netflix episode than something that happens in reality. That's what he was saying about the nine seven and two reporting. That he has now confirmed. And Ryan's point that you know, it doesn't really matter anymore at this point, like it's over, it's done, is a really important one. So now in your times, feels comfortable reporting the reality of the situation when there's no possibility of any pressure changing and when so many lives and so much destruction has already been wrought.
Speaker 3: You know, we're true of every conflict, but we're going to keep learning more and more about what's transpired over the course of the last year in Gaza for years to come. And to your point, it's there are tiktoks, like there's organic evidence of a lot of this that it doesn't quite get picked up, and so that's where there's kind of a disconnect between media and the public.
Speaker 2: So I want to be fair here to the Israeli side. You know, of course they can claim this was some sort of a Humas stronghold, and this is the you know, cash of quote unquote weapons that they claim they found in kamal Od one, the hospital that they just attacked. We've got two pistols, a monocular, a compass, a dagger, some money, and a fanny pack. So that's what they even by their own by their own statements. That's what they're using to justify this. So there you go. Reaction and response continues to roll in in the wake of the murder of Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson, and the latest to offer a take is Tim Dillon, who, as part of a Netflix roast, actually dressed up as the ghost of Brian Thompson and had quite a quite a bit that he leaned into. Here, let me go ahead and show you a little bit of what he had to say.
Speaker 10: Is this what you want?
Speaker 5: Laughing?
Speaker 9: Here's a free medicine. Here you go, that's fed at all, not as much as you want.
Speaker 12: It's fed at all, laced with more fan at all. I'm Brian Thompson. I'm going to hell for this. You might as well laugh.
Speaker 2: I go in to hell for this, you might as well laugh. Here were some other of the things that he said, Emily, I just pull up the New York Post. Comedian Tim Dillon appeared as the ghost of slain United Healthcare's THEEO, Brian Thompson in Netflix's Torching twenty twenty four, a roast of the year, on Friday, less than a month after the executive was gunned down. They talk about how he was dressed, similar to the way that Thompson was don ghoulish gray makeup. Was met with a mixture of nervous laughter and cheers. He introduced himself and had a sign that read United Hellcare CEO. Addressed the elephant in the room, saying, as Thompson that he's been in hell, reading the tweets that a lot of people are happy he's dead. Quote, your reaction to my murder makes me sick, and not the type of sick I would immediately deny for not having the proper paperwork, the comedian said, taking a job at United Healthcare's track record of denying its policies members, So there you go. Tim Dillon weigh in with his take, Emily, did you see a lot of pearl clutching over this or people will just sort of like accept it At this point, No, I.
Speaker 3: Actually looked because as we were prepping the show, I was assumed that this would have elicited some of the pearl clutching that we saw earlier. And I'm not saying all that is unreasonable, but there really wasn't any. I don't know if it was because it was the holiday break, but or if it's actually because of the poll that we're going to talk about, and this was sort of increasingly clear that to the Tim Dillons of the world sort of do of their fingers more firmly on the pulse.
Speaker 2: That probably is that there was an effort to make it seem like this reaction to Brian Thompson's murder was just some like far left, you know, ghoulish reaction, but poles like this tell you that was pretty widespread. Sixty nine percent of Americans say that health insurance claimed denials had a great deal or a moderate amount of responsibility for the killing of CEO Brian Thompson, according to a new poll. If you go down the list here too, you've got sixty seven percent saying that profits made by health insurance companies had a great deal or a moderate amount to do with it wealth or income in general. You have a majority of view. And then this was kind of crazy to me if you look at this bottom number. So they say, okay, but how about the dude who actually killed him, And obviously seventy eight percent of people are like, yeah, I mean that probably had something to do with it. Like this actual man who was a murderer. But it was astonishing to me that you had twenty eighty percent of people who said that the literal guy who killed him had only a little or nothing at all to do with the murder. Like that part is actually that is actually crazy to me.
Speaker 3: Granted, you can get twenty percent of Americans to say just about anything, but only sixty three percent when we were looking at that, said that he is like bearing the full responsibility, which means people have very mixed opinions. Like that sixty three percent number to me is even more significant, Like it's a majority, yes, but it's it's not like a commanding majority. It's like people are pretty have pretty mixed emotions about what happened. And so I think Chris might be right that the immediate freak out over sort of the dirt bag left, right, Like, this is just the dirt bag Left, and they're they're just such dirt bags, they're such losers, and they're just they're trolling, and we're going to have this moral panic over how awful is that they're trolling. Really, I think has become clear was missing the boat was not the right argument to be making. Is like, if you want to actually convince people or persuade people to have a different approach to what happened to Brian Thompson. If you want to actually say, you know this was you can't be like ironically worshiping Luigi with the prayer candles and the memes. Probably there's a different argument line of argument that you want to be making. Then you're all disgusting idiots because it's a lot of people. It's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: No, that's exactly right, And you know, just to like a lot of these polls, it depends a lot on how you ask the question blah blah blah. And to say that the claim denial rate had something to do with the murder is different than saying, like, the murder was good and I'm glad that he was murdered, right, that's Those are two wildly different things, and I think there's been an effort to conflate those two things and basically say, if you want to even use this as an opportunity to talk about the cruelty, sickness, death, bankruptcy that results from our healthcare system, then you're basically celebrating murder. I think there's been a real effort to complate those two sentiments of like, yeah, this is a disgusting system. This was a person who was, you know, at the head of one of the most notoriously like evil healthcare companies, and we think that that is wrong. In addition to thinking that murdering someone you know, uh, on the street in New York is wrong. That is the piece that has been sort of willfully ignored. And Ken Clipenstein has been doing a really fantastic.
Speaker 4: Job reporting speaking of the dirt bag left see yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Ken just is he has the biggest balls of anyone I think I've ever seen. Like I'm sure the local FBI agent where he is in him are on like a first name basis. But in any case, Ken's done really good reporting too on what's going on internally at United Health Group. He's been doing great report about the security state's response to this murder. And there's a lot of very troubling indications that they're going to use things like, you know, maybe people posting the Saint Luigi Candle memes to label them as extremists, domestic extremists who should be you know, tracked and surveilled, et cetera, et CETERA very similar trajectory to you know, we saw after nine to eleven the use of our deep states, like security state agencies against American citizens, against people who were here legally, attempts to entrap them, et cetera. We've seen that targeting right wing extremists in the Trump era, you know, the Gretchen Whitmer plot, et cetera. And it is very plausible to me that this would be another excuse for further security state expansion to go against quote unquote anti capital extremists or anti capitalism extremists who may have expressed so like untoward sentiments about this murder and about Luigi Mangiote as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see how if like cash Battel is confirmed as director of the FBI, the incoming Trump administration handles this question as the Luigi stuff really isn't going away. It's it's going to obviously there's going to be a trial and it'll be in the news. So I'll be watching that closely for sure. Given all of the sort of realignment on Intel world, you know, conservatives now being more critical of Intel overreach.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm skeptical of this because I think they I don't think they care about intel overreach. I think they don't want their political side targeted. All right, So we've got some incredible Joe Biden news here. Emily Apparently he thinks he would have beat Donald Trump. So the Biden delusions have never stopped. This is amazing. So this I think was from a Washington Post profile of The Guardian wrote it up and reportedly, regrets ending his reelection campaign, says he would have defeated Trump. This is according to White House sources. They say they that he still thinks he would have won, even though there were negative pull indications. He also reportedly said he made a mistake in choosing me Garland as Attorney General because Garland was so slow to prosecute Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: That part is actually kind of true.
Speaker 2: But you know, we had talked about Jon Favreau revealed that Biden's own polsters had him losing four hundred Electoral College votes to Donald Trump, and yet he still thinks he would have been able to pull it off. Like I just I don't even know what to say to that. That is an incredible level of delusion that I cannot even wrap my head around.
Speaker 3: Although not surprising because he clung to the he clung to the nomination for weeks after he said we beat Medicare in a debate, among other gaffes that were just beyond embarrassing over the course of that night. So I have an unpopular opinion on this, which is that I think there's there's something to this. I think he's ultimately wrong. But what I do think is true, and this is one of the things I ended up getting wrong in the election of Row. But one of the things I do think is true is that the polarization is such that you can run generic R, generic D, even if they are literally the host of Celebrity Apprentice or like completely completely just out of their like out of their mind at this point, Joe Biden not in control of his own mental faculties, and you can still have a close election. So I don't think he could have won, but I think it would be closer than people realize. And but one of the things I got wrong in the election was I expected that we were we would still be like very polarized over the question of Trump, and we are to be fair like it was a it was a close election, but I do think some of the Trump stigma was gone and that's I agree, kind of pushed them over the edge. And that's what it's like hilarious that Biden is still like, hey, we could have had it if it weren't for Kamala, We just we could have We could have had it. So I think it's two things. Like one, I think it actually would have been surprisingly close, even with Biden on the ticket, and even with him thinking that he beat Medicare in some.
Speaker 4: Way disagree, disagree.
Speaker 2: I think the people were like, you cannot, you cannot be president for another four years, like you cannot be just on a human level, because to be honest with you, my lesson has been somewhat the opposite over the past decade of politics, eight years of politics, which is that you know, people do change their minds, Like these collitions have shifted a lot totally over the past number of years, and they're not just like the you know, partisan automatons that sometimes the pundits kind of paint the mass. So you know, when you see young people shifting, you see Latinos shifting, and you see college educated pooples shifting, and the Democrats whatever, you know, people are evaluating the situation.
Speaker 4: As it exists.
Speaker 2: And I think there were quite a lot who would have looked at because it wouldn't have been it wouldn't have stopped with the debate, and you know, we beat Medicare, Like there would have been eighteen more Joe Biden's brain is melting out of his ear moments during the campaign, and I think many more people would have just been like, we just we just can't do that. So we were seeing those polls that were like, oh, New Jersey's in play. Oh, New Mexico's in play. Oh, like Virginia. I think I think Trump would have probably won Virginia if it was Joe Biden still on the ticket. Not to mention that even though obviously Kama Harris was part of the Biden Harris administration, like it was really Joe Biden who was the face of supporting the Israeli genocide. And so I think you would have seen even more erosion among young voters because of their just horror at you know, what he had actively the policy he had actively pursued.
Speaker 3: Although if you are Joe Biden, you look at the exit polls and see her underperforming him with all of these, like in almost every demographic except for with the wealthy and so I see where he's coming from that like he's I don't know if this is actually where he's coming from, because I don't know how much he's able to actually significcess analyze all this. Yeah, exactly, But there also would have been kind of a weird kind of factual. There also would have been like media overdrive trying to again like take down Trump and whatever. But one of the things that I want to agree with in your point is, I think it's it's more polarization. It's not R and D polarization so much as it is like, I don't care if this man is the host of Celebrity Apprentice. I am not. I do not want Hillary Clinton to be president, and so I will vote for this guy who's out there like saying the create like telling Robert Patten said to break up with Christian Stewart on Twitter because I don't want Hillary Clinton to be president. And what I underestimated or what I overestimated, was the extent to there was still that level of polarization against Donald Trump. And so it's still there. Obviously a lot of people who are like I'll vote for anybody but Donald Trump, but it's not as significant as it was in twenty sixteen or whatever, and I think that's one of the things that media is grappling with right now. And what we learned from that big Wall Street Journal profile of Joe Biden that came out right before Christmas also is that he is being coddled from any negative media, that his aides are not passing any negative media onto him, which you know, there has been some. There has been as much as there should, but there has been some. And it probably speaks to this as well, Crystal, that you know, he's looking at where Kamala Harris underperformed her level of popularity and her talents as a politician, and it all seems so obvious now. Is one of the things that Ryan said before the election that has stuck with me. He said it like on election night. I don't know if you remember. This was like, as we were looking at everything, he was like, we're going to back on this and it was going to be one of those elections where it seems so obvious once we know it. Actually, Yeah, I feel like there's probably some of that in dem circles right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, very very true.
Speaker 2: It's also so that Wall Street Journal piece, which really was the first attempt to detail the cover up, which has to be one of the gravest political scandals of our time, just of Joe Biden's clear decline. You know, they have anecdotes there from the spring of twenty twenty one, so like this man had just been elected, and they're like, well, he has good days and bad days, and today's a bad days. So we can't have the meeting, Like what this is the president of the United States. I'm sorry, you're on twenty four to seven. That's what the job is. And from the very beginning, his aids knew he was not up to the job, and that decline only accelerated over the course of his administration. And you know, if you're someone who wanted, like me, wanted to defeat Donald Trump, the fact that the people around him covered all this up allowed for there to be, you know, the cancelation of the Democratic primary, no ability for Democratic voters to get to weigh in on my ctis just arrived to get to weigh in on who they would like to see and who they thought would be the strongest contender. And you know, for them to have a chance too, to separate themselves from someone who ended up being a very unpopular president like was a This was a devastating decision that they made. And look, there are no guarantees whoever would have come out of that process would have had a tough battle on their hands against Donald Trump, but would have had a much better shot than just last minute putting in Kamala Harris, who was not a good politician and who you know, hadn't had to earn the votes to secure that nomination and so didn't have like a bought in established base, all of those things. It really is extraordinary. And then you know, so this was kind of interesting. Wanted to play this for everybody. There's a little bit of reflection of this happening in the news media where you have a journalist who says, you know, the biggest mistake, the most undercovered story was Joe Biden's decline, and the media really failed in not pushing on that. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 8: One of the things we also do in the year end Correspondence round Table is dig into what was undercovered or under reported.
Speaker 13: Jan undercovered underreported that would be to me, Joe Biden's obvious cognitive decline that became undeniable in.
Speaker 3: The televised at the presidential debate.
Speaker 13: With unquestioned and you know, it's starting to emerge now that his advisors kind of managed his limitations and reported in the Wall Street Journal for four years and yet he insisted that he could still run for president. We should have much more forcefully questioned whether he was fit for office for another four years, which could have led to a primary for the Democrats. It could have changed the scope of the entire election. Yet still, incredibly we read the Washington Post that his advisors are saying that he regrets that he dropped out of the race. You know that he thinks he could have beaten Trump.
Speaker 3: And I think that is either delusional or their gas laing.
Speaker 14: President Biden has said repeatedly he was sick during the debate June twenty seventh, Atlanta, and he's always been fine, and he leaves fine. That is his position, the position of many of his top ages as well.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bob, and I love the coming in of well he was second the debate, Like, I don't know if he was just saying that to give their side of the story. He was actually trying to uncover for them, but it didn't come off well. But you know again another instance of now that it's too late to matter. The media is like, oh gee, maybe we should have actually covered this. But they read all of the questions about Biden's age and decline. They read this as just like an unfair right wing smear until it was at that debate, completely undeniable, completely undeniable. And you know, people like me and Zagger and I'm sure you and Ryan, like all of us, even going back to the twenty twenty primary twenty nineteen, Yeah, like, look at him now versus look at him in the past. This is an old man, like he is declining. He is not the same person he used to be. And that conversation was not allowed at all at the point.
Speaker 4: Oh he had a stutter.
Speaker 2: It's just his stutteries, just recovering from this, don't be ables, et cetera, et cetera. And now here we are now that it doesn't matter, They're like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that was true. I guess we should have looked into that a little bit. What's what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: I think this played a critical role in the reckoning that changed what we were talking about in terms of polarization against Donald Trump in the last couple of years, like just like the way that we talk about cancel culture and wokeness, like there's this weird thing happening in the culture. And I think what the Biden cover up became a really big part of this because there were obvious signs of sinility going back to twenty nineteen. Yeah, and a lot of people still said I am voting for Joe Biden because I cannot deal with Donald Trump, Like this is not a vote for Joe Biden so much as it's a vote against Donald Trump. And then by the time twenty twenty four rolls around, there's this, you know, the trusted media goes back to the record low that had hit in twenty seventeen according to Gallup's polling. And I think a huge part of that is because cover up implies the media allowed something to be covered up. Right, the people who are supposed to prevent something from being covered up are journalists. And that is necessarily, even though she doesn't frame it this way, necessarily a concession of complicity, of saying that we were a part of this, and what we're not seeing in media is grappling with that. We're saying, oh, the Biden administration was so cynical and dastardly, and they told us he was fine. It's like you knew he wasn't. I know, you knew he wasn't because you saw all of the same videos and you actually had more access than the average American who knew that he wasn't. So what shattered public trust? This may have been like the straw that broke the camel's back. There are many things that shattered public trust, but this was a huge part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think this is part of the story of why I think liberals have now broken a lot of trust with like they are also not trusting the mainstream press as much as they used to. I mean, that's what allowed Biden to be able to succeed, to succeed in that twenty twenty primary was because the media was like, this is the guy. You have no choice but to vote for him. He's the only one that could be Trump. And liberals were like, Okay, I guess he's the only one it could be Trump. I'm not gonna ask questions. I'm just going to pull the lever for Joe Biden. And it is what it is. And you know, Obviously that strategy was ultimately a failure. Donald Trump is headed back to the White House. The resistant strategy offered by the media was ultimately a failure. Many of the media figures that were kind of lionized in the resistance, Sarah, Joe and Mika being the most you know, visible totems of this, have now basically been like, well, Trump's here, I'm sure it'll be okay, we'll go make nice with him. After having such incredibly you know, heated rhetoric around who he was and what he was going to do and what it meant, what the stakes were, etcetera. And so it really has exposed them as being frauds, as as not really meaning the things that they were saying, and also as being failures in terms of the political program that they offered in order to try to defeat trump Ism. So I mean, that's ultimately what it comes down to is like you said this was the way to succeed, and it didn't succeed. Here we are with Donald Trump coming back into the White House, and you don't even seem all that upset about it. So how what are we supposed to make of that? But but yeah, it's an extraordinary. You can't even just call it a media failure because I think you're right, Emily, I think there's too much complicity. It's not like they were hoodwinked, right.
Speaker 3: Right, some of them were. Some of them were. They're really dumby, but some of them are truly stupid people.
Speaker 2: But all some of them videos that we were watching, you were also seeing and you were buying into what was the term that Korean John cheer fakes cheap fakes. Oh, it's taken out of context.
Speaker 3: And as soon as Karan, Jean Pierre and the White House started dropping that term cheap fakes, the media and legacy media major institutions like The New York Times took it like a press release and reported it back, regurgitated it like they were literally taking the Biden administration's press release. It was disgusting. And if you go back and look at some of the covers from May June, middle of June, the June teenth freeze up, the Obama fundraiser, I mean, it's despicable in retrospect. So it's most of them aren't that dumb. Some of them are, And I think it's always fun to make note of that. Some of them are just like truly stupid individuals.
Speaker 4: But easily manipulated.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's that low IQ individuals.
Speaker 2: Well, Emily, thank you so much for hosting with me today. We are going to do in light of the New Year's holiday, we are going to not do show tomorrow, but we will do a show on Thursday and it will be me and Emily back again. So, Emily, do you are you a New Year's resolution person? You got anything you're planning for in the New Year's or excited about in the New Year's anything you want to share?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, Crystal. I don't believe in resolutions and I don't believe in optimism. So I'm expecting another mediocre year. What about you?
Speaker 2: Mediocre is probably the height of my ambitions for the year. That's generous of the world in the country. So I was telling you, I've decided I need to learn more about AI because.
Speaker 3: You should ask AI.
Speaker 2: Well, I have been in part what do I need to know about should I be scared chat GPD?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I do.
Speaker 2: I want to have a more textured understanding of if I should be as scared as I think I'm should be. And this is you know, we talked a lot about Elon and the H and B workers and whatever, and that's sort of a side show to the main event, which is the real reason he would put so much money in and David Sax and all these people will get involved. Is they really want a freehand to be able to do whatever they want in terms of AI development. And you know that has the potential to be I mean some would say world ending, right like species ending potentially, like in the most dystopian scenarios, but even in the least dystopian scenarios, you could have massive disruptions of the labor force and you know, changes to the way we all think about each other, think about work, think about society, et cetera. And so one of my goals in the new year is to try to like have a more textured understanding of that, to know if this is just like hyperbole and if there's you know, everything will be fine, They've got it and it's okay, or if there are you know, some deeper things to really be concerned about, because I think that's going to be probably the most important fight that we watch unfold throughout the coming years.
Speaker 3: It actually splits Trump world in a similar way to the H one b visus as well. So the incoming administration I think is and it does the same thing in democrats, but it's a pretty there's not a clear like populist position, and there's not a clear tech position, like there's a lot of big tech that's trying to control AI, and there's a lot of big tech that's trying to like the mark and treasons that are trying to democratize AI. So much to be.
Speaker 2: Said, yes indeed, Well, in any case, happy new year to you, Emily, and happy new year to all of you guys out there. I am not mentally prepared for it to be twenty twenty five personally, so I'll be spending the next few days wrap my head around that. And if you aren't a subscriber, if you can become a premium subscriber, obviously that's going to help us a lot in the new year to be able to cover these stories in the way that we want to and provide you guys with the best possible content. If you're not able to become a premium subscriber, totally cool. If you can help us out by liking and sharing on YouTube, leaving comments like leaving a review on the podcast also helps out a lot, so in any case, so grateful for you guys sticking with us this year. We've seen a lot. I guess I'll just say that we've seen seen a lot. It's been a wild ride and looking forward to covering all of the wild events of twenty twenty five with you all. Soon see you on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Keep Keep