Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where every general manager starts to look.
Speaker 2: The same after a little while.
Speaker 1: I'm Greg Rosenthal here in the Indianapolis Convention Center alongside my friend fresh off the road, fresh after off of hugging half of these general managers because you're friends with all of them, Jordan Rodrigue of the Athletic.
Speaker 3: That was so nice, you know what. I did appreciate, Greg, and it's great to be here with you. One general manager that we will get to in a moment actually had as good of a jacket game as you did.
Speaker 1: Well, you're talking about James glads let's talk about it. I was able to meet this young man. You knew him already. He's going to be on the show. Young man, I mean, he is a young man to me. He's much younger than me, and he looks young even for his age.
Speaker 2: How did we describe him?
Speaker 1: Kind of like a beachy vibe, but with a little Patrick Bateman, you know, mixed in there.
Speaker 3: It's a compliment in a good way, because I think that a lot of people are starting to learn about James.
Speaker 4: He's a bit of a killer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So James Gladstone is the new general manager of the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: He's joining the show today.
Speaker 1: John Spytek, the new general manager of the Raiders, talked about the quarterback situation there, talked about how my friend, my personal trainer, wants it fixed. And so those are two interviews we're going to get to later in the show. We tape some other interviews as well that we're going to be playing throughout the week. I'm really excited for everyone to listen to that. But I want to work backwards here. We actually started today's show, and this is the day. Just to set the scene, Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine now has evolved into the day where most general managers and coaches speak. Yes, there's still a couple stragglers who are going up late even as we're taping, but we got to do a show. About forty five of them spoke on Tuesday day. A handful we'll speak on Wednesday as well. So this show is partly going to be about what we learned from all the press conferences. And I decided before the day even started. I just wrote a number. The show is going to be called forty seven things we learned from these press conferences, and then worked backwards from there. So we just tried to learn forty seven things and then we stopped learning.
Speaker 3: Thirteen more digits than James Gladstone has years.
Speaker 1: There you go, uh and it worked, blows. It was kind of amazing. We almost naturally right got it down to forty seven. I had to make some editing choics we.
Speaker 4: The Google docs.
Speaker 2: It was basically right there. And I love this week.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 1: I got to see one of the greatest of all time, Nicola Jokic, have his career high and assist second most ever for a center last night at the Pacers game.
Speaker 2: You just walk like three blocks away.
Speaker 1: There there's great NBA basketball for shockingly cheap prices. And then on my way home, Drew Rosenhaus, the super agent, just stops me and I got both earbuds in and my head down and a hat.
Speaker 3: Was it your famous hat? No, Greg has a hat that makes him look really famous, I.
Speaker 1: Know, and he was Greg Greg and he and he's like, hey, great job with your your one oh one. You keep keep at it like you really know your stuff. I was like, Wow, thank you, Drew Rosenhouse, super agent.
Speaker 3: Did you say thank you super Drew Rosenhouse, Comma super Agent.
Speaker 2: I wish I had.
Speaker 4: I wish you would have. I think he would have loved that.
Speaker 1: I was so taken aback and was in the middle of like my Celtics podcast that I'm listening to that I was like, oh, thank you, thank you, and then I wish you know you think of what you should have said after the fact. I would have liked to hear among his climents, who did I think who did he think was too low? Because usually they're complaining about, oh you didn't have him too high, too low.
Speaker 2: I would have liked to hear his opinion.
Speaker 3: But you know, I got to tell you though, he was clearly it was a drive by compliment, which means he was certainly not looking to engage in a deep conversation. Great, so I actually think it went perfectly because you really could have kept him lingering there, like way long longer than he planned, and then he'd be like, I'm not gonna compliment that guy next time. He's just gonna talk to me all day.
Speaker 1: Come on, maybe he wanted to talk. Yeah, that was whild I shouldn't have been surprised or ran into someone. It was outside of Saint Elmos, the famous steakhouse. I mean if you've been to Indianapolis for the Combined Ones, you've heard these stories before, and there is something pleasingly familiar about it all, including all these press conferences.
Speaker 2: Let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Number one on our list, Yes, forty seven things we learned. I do think it was ultimately the most significant news of the day. Travis Kelcey is expected to return to the Kansas City Chiefs for the twenty twenty five season. Brett Veatch first broke the news at the podium, surprising, you don't usually get big news at the podium. He then later was on NFL Network, Let's take a list, and this is him with Tom Pellisera.
Speaker 6: It seems like we're gonna get good news on Travis Kelsey. Can we turn off the Twitter alerts? Can we put it the bad as he definitely playing in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 7: I think so. I mean there's been a a lot of the you know, timeline and deadlines, and you know that's something that we as an organization haven't discussed, and we anticipate Travis being back, and if something changes, I'm sure NFL Network will be the first to break it, right, but.
Speaker 3: I would hope. So, yeah, you can help with that if you want.
Speaker 7: No, I think you know, we're excited to have Travis back, and that's how we're operating this offseason and kind of go from there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm surprised I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't think we were going to get to watch Travis Kelsey play football again. It's interesting, I think from a breadth beach perspective, because that's seventeen million dollars lesson cap space you have to work with. They obviously want Travis Kelcey back, but there would have been positives and negatives to both sides.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, I feel like he's made them a lot of money actually recently, So I feel like, in a roundabout way, he has helped make them a lot of money recently. So I feel like that's that's a small potatoes thing to for the GM to be worried about. They can manage it. They'll be fine. The thing that's interesting you talk to players about this near the end of their career, and then those to ponder potential retirement or even taking a break or taking a longer runway to think about things.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: It was a quick decision because there was a deadline on it. But it also is interesting he didn't go out. If he went out this year, it would have been I think a sour taste in his mouth because of the way he finished the season, because of the way the Chiefs finished the season. You rarely get the shiny fairy tale ending, but I kind of think this man does believe in fairy tales. I mean, look at his life.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely true. This is a man who just expects great things to.
Speaker 4: Happen, manifests and incredible.
Speaker 1: He's made it all happen. Yeah, sometimes it's not a fairy tale ending. We'll have more on another tight end in just the little bit. Number two on our list, we gotta got. Terry Fonteau is at the podium and quickly and aggressively said that their plan remains the same. Michael Pennox is their starting quarterback, Kirk Cousins is their backup quarterback, and Kirk Cousins is going to remain with the Falcons for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: Do you buy it?
Speaker 3: I buy it. I'm not surprised. I was texting with someone over there the other day about Michael Pennix and just the glowy nature of the conversation and the way that he throws the ball, the way that they see him throw the ball in the reps that we don't see on the outside in practice. He obviously popped. I'm not surprised when when he did get playing time, I am not surprised.
Speaker 2: But do you buy that kirk Cousins is going to be on the team. I don't.
Speaker 3: Oh that part, no, I don't buy. I don't buy that. But the Penix thing is that's real love right there. But the rest of it, I mean, I don't know. I think that's what you say when you're trying to drive up a trade price.
Speaker 1: I agree, this is lying season in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Really, I would never lie to you again, it's.
Speaker 1: Regular season, but the draft in general, especially pre pre free agency, is uh, you know, line season. Fat Noah also said he was totally surprised that kirk Cousins had an injury. The first they learned of it, he indicated, was when kirk Cousins talked to the media. So it does feel like they're covering themselves.
Speaker 3: I do love that. It's like it's a way of saying, no, there's no way, because of course I would know about this, so there's no way that was anything other than hedging.
Speaker 1: If anything, that's kind of making his guy, Kirk Cousins, looks bad. I still believe strongly that he will be traded. And I think what that statement is to the rest of the league, we are not cutting him.
Speaker 2: You have to give us something.
Speaker 1: And if the best we can do for kirk Cousins is that we're gonna pay part of his salary and get a fifth round pick, then that's that's better than nothing, and that's what we're aiming for. Maybe he's aiming for hire. We'll see. I don't I do not buy that one. All right, Points three through six. We're from Omar Khan, the Steelers GM. He has said ownership said it, and now he said it. They were happy with russ Anfields and they specifically say they've talked to both representatives and they want either one to come back.
Speaker 2: Very unique. I I don't.
Speaker 1: Remember a free agency quarterback situation quite like that where they're openly saying we don't want both of them back, we do want one of them back.
Speaker 2: And he's almost pressed, you know, leveraging the agent.
Speaker 4: You guys pick, That's basically what it is.
Speaker 2: It's like you guys pick about who's gonna take less.
Speaker 3: Money, pick who's gonna yeah, who's who's taking this job? And I just it's fascinating too.
Speaker 2: You must have a favorite, though they have to.
Speaker 4: It is lying season.
Speaker 1: They did play Russell Wilson most of the year, so that you would think that would be him, But long term Fields makes more sense.
Speaker 3: It is interesting. It's it to me very overtway to drive the ultimate price down. But I do think it's funny where he's basically like, decide.
Speaker 4: Amongst yourself, I know, and they it's like so funny to me.
Speaker 1: He also, like a lot of the gms that spoke today, said look, they want multiple ways to attack the position. I think they'll draft someone to whether whether it's early or not, we'll see, I said points three through six.
Speaker 2: He said a few things. They want to get a deal done with TJ. Watt.
Speaker 1: He's not going to be a guy that's on the trade blocket. He was pretty strong saying we want Pickens. We want George Pickens to be great. We want him to be great here. Yeah, we expect him to be here. My friend Bill Barnwell threw him out as a potential trade candidate. I actually do kind of believe con here because I don't think the market would be worth getting rid of a guy that's that talented. And then he also used the term fake news in an answer to a question about Matthew Stafford. We could have a little bit of your Stafford intel at this point, why not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those front offices, both of them have a great relationship and they are in near constant communication throughout the course of the year. And obviously you can't be right now, but during the season they were on the phone with the Steelers talking about what it would look like for a Cooper Cup situation in true so I have to imagine other people came up at that time as well. But it is interesting, like I just think Matthew statt Or he's a bullet point. So we're not going to get to it quite yet, but he's gonna come up on a few teams.
Speaker 2: That you have listened to give it to me now.
Speaker 3: It's just it's been so fluid. So I reported earlier this week that you know, the Rams gave his agent, Jimmy Sexton, permission to talk to other teams about his contract terms. Obviously that serves a lot of purposes that is a fact check. Is his market really what he thinks it is and the agent thinks it is.
Speaker 4: Or is it more aligned to what the rams think it is.
Speaker 3: By which is lower because there is a discrepancy between the two numbers. It's this multiple truth situation that something has to give where they I fully believe that both sides want to get a deal done.
Speaker 4: I don't know that it will get done right.
Speaker 1: We talked with Tom Pelisarah really at length about this on Monday show Losing Track of the Days that happens in Indianapolis, and he talked about there's only a couple of places that really are fits and what I picked up from Omar Khan the way he said fake news that really was an answer to me, and what Tom, who's connected sitting. I don't know if the Steelers are a fit for Matthew staffort to me, that's a team I'm not going to cross off, but I would be very surprised.
Speaker 3: I do think, especially with Pickens to the conversation about Pickens and wanting to develop and mature a little bit, I do think Cooper cup might be in the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that could make sense.
Speaker 1: They are a team that makes a lot of sense, and con did say they need to improve their wide receiver position. He also said he would do the Mike Williams and Preston Smith trades.
Speaker 2: Again he doesn't regret them. Well you should?
Speaker 3: Is that fake news? Maybe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would call.
Speaker 1: Mike Williams, you want to He won a game and he was worth a shot, and actually for the right price, maybe you might even return there, get.
Speaker 4: Them one more game than the other.
Speaker 1: Other words, if you literally just cut and you gave up, you didn't give up much form. So I guess maybe he was saying it was worth a shot. Didn't work out all right. Points seven through ten are all by our guy, Joe Shane Shane. He needs a quarterback in both the draft and free agency. He pointed out multiple times, our only quarterback is Tommy DeVito. We need to attack this in multiple ways, and he deferred to the Rams when asked specifically about Matthew Stafford. But in the side session with you know beat reporters they're reporting from that was he mentioned multiple times like we are going to be aggressive, yes, and again we're back to our guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, and my god, here we are back again, just like the Rams and Matthew Stafford as they were last year. Yeah, I do think that there are a couple of teams that will emerge as possible fits. And I think that the Giants are going to be one of them. And I also think that the Raiders are.
Speaker 2: Potentially Those are the two loones that make the most sense, and.
Speaker 3: They the thing with Dable and Shane right now, For me, my this is just conjecture for me, just educated like looking at things. I think he wants a chance to show his work. I think he wants a chance to really show this is the kind of coach I am capable of, This is the kind of schemer that I'm capable of being. This is what I can really do when you have a quarterback of that caliber and your job is in danger. It's not just about winning games and trying to go make an aggressive move to a save both jobs and b try to really go for it. But also I think he wants to show his work. I think that there's a lot of conversations about sort of a backslide with Brian Dable with and I think he's a good coach and I think he's a smart offensive coach for sure.
Speaker 4: I think he wants to show it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Stafford would give him that chance in the same way that he did for McVeigh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A few years ago, Joe Shane was asked though what matters most to him in a quarterback mentioned how his son is playing quarterback right now, and he said, I'll tell you the same thing that I tell my son. The two things that matter the most completely and wins.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, we're getting We're moving backwards as a as a community.
Speaker 4: If he thinks wins are a quarterback.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get it, he's looking in a team that it doesn't mean anything. But he said completions and wins. And the more that you hear from Joe Shane, the more he just seems like the guy that you saw on Hard Knocks. Here is Joe Shane being asked by your colleague kayln Kaylor.
Speaker 4: Oh, the King of the car.
Speaker 1: It's an audio medium, so that didn't work. Your little stop by. Also, I was just throwing to sound, so you're kind of yeah, it'll it'll be on air.
Speaker 3: I'd like to continue to pretend that we're not on air. It makes him feel safer.
Speaker 2: My point is, no one could hear you if you're not near.
Speaker 3: I'd be honored.
Speaker 1: No, uh Ian rappaport off into the night. Let's listen to Joe Shane. He was asked about his experience on Hard Knocks if anyone from other teams have asked him, you know how it was.
Speaker 8: If any general manager called you to ask about what you're seeing, experience was like last year.
Speaker 2: And what they still what have you told them?
Speaker 5: No, I haven't gotten any calls. I think I know what that would do.
Speaker 1: And you know, I like that Joe Shane can laugh about it. I think he knows that that program did not reflect well at him. Neither does his record.
Speaker 3: Frankly, you know what, it was a topic of conversation among executives across the league when it came out, Like I got a couple text being like, what did you think? Honest opinion from people around the league who were wondering because they're going to be the ones deciding whether or not they're going.
Speaker 4: To be in this dang show and oh man, like they were critical.
Speaker 1: They were like, there's no there there with that Yeah, with that front office, and that's got to be hard to hear even third hand. So Joe Shane and I, Yeah, I don't think the hard knocks thing is happening for any other teams out there. Let's go to those were you know, points seven through eleven if you were really we're actually making a pretty good time. I think Liam Cohen, I just want to mentione he's back and he is swaying just as much.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you clocked this at the podium.
Speaker 5: The duval.
Speaker 1: I didn't do that, but he was moving side to side the whole time, but seemed much more relaxed. So sometimes that first press conference is one thing, but then you see him he's filling in who he is as a coach, and I like it a little different vibe. And I do like that he said that their passing game will go through Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 3: Smart, very smart, just good coaching right there, good thinking, good plan. Brian Thomas Junior rocks. He's a guy who rules.
Speaker 2: A guy who.
Speaker 1: Was that good as a rookie, could have been Rookie of the Year. Yes, it was a different year and is only going to get better. I think it was kind of raw coming in in terms of his route running things, so I think he's going to improve. I love how strong he was. Of course, they also really spoke highly. He spoke Higlie of Trevor Lawrence in all the ways that they're gonna improve. We talked to James Gladstone a little bit coming up, so you'll you'll hear that that's the new Jaguars general manager. We also spoke with Dave Canalis. We're gonna hold that interview because I maybe you guys could tell me differently.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like shotgunting, like five straight interviews is what the listeners need. So we're gonna We're gonna spread out the good stuff. And I really liked getting a feel of who Canalis was as a person. But our thirteenth point here is just some factual stuff on their wide receivers.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: Xavier Loget, their first round pick, undergoing foot surgery. They're expecting he'll be back for training camp, maybe even some of the offseason. And he seemed in to me. I tried to ask him if they're bringing Adam Theling back. That was maybe, of course he would want Adam Thielen back. He almost seemed like it was Adam up to Adam thelen Willer he wants to return. Because I was curious if they would bring back that same wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Could Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think they need to continue to add there in the via the draft specifically, And I don't know. To me, it sounded almost like bring another case of Okay, we've been talking about this with Dan Morgan the GM ownership. Okay, bring the price down a little bit, bring the price down a little bit, and maybe he's back.
Speaker 2: I hope he's back. He's a great player.
Speaker 1: And I loved what Canal has said about that wide receiver room and just competition in general, that he wants to throw more talent in that mix that is in create some chaos and creation.
Speaker 3: You know what. Okay, So he's very buttoned up, right, like he's very polished and all that, like lots of media training and all of that. He almost cursed on our show, and in the best way, like he said, he almost said f some up. And I think that that was I was like, Okay, that is that is the real, Like we were asking him what his meetings are like and all of that.
Speaker 1: That's the real. That was the real one right there. And it's a great point and looking forward to hearing him later. But my takeaway from that too with the wide receiver group reading between the line, it's like they have three threes right now. Yeah, and so they need to get more talented there, even though defense is probably their main focus. All right, number fourteen, And look, that's like original reporting we're doing here. This isn't all just aggregating. That was our interview that we're crediting, but fourteen is aggregating. This is a report I couldn't believe when I saw today.
Speaker 4: I thought you were lying to me when you said it.
Speaker 1: I saught Sears, a lammy who used to be at football. Guys been around a long time, really respect him. He had some sources and some reporting that Rob Gronkowski is training with the plan to return to play football in twenty twenty five. I would guess that's not something where a signing is going to come early in the offseason.
Speaker 5: Bud.
Speaker 1: He did mention, and it's a Broncos reporter mentioning is that you know, Gronk and Sean Payton got to know each other a little bit on the Fox set, and that that might be a fit. I could I could kind of see that, and so we might have to restart that Canton clock for Rob Gnkowski.
Speaker 3: I could just picture how that conversation went there like in the green room, like having a coffee together or something like that, and he's like, yeah, bro, I could totally still go. I could totally still go watch I'll train and I'll show you watch. I could totally Sean Payton going all right, bet like, let's see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sean Payton, we'll get a work out. At least who finds a brighter hoodie to wear each and every year? I love that man. Had a great joke today. He's not in the show, but he had a great joke. You know, he was thanking Pete Carroll for keeping him the youngest coach in the AFC West, or making him the youngest coach in the AFC West. And you know what's kind of sneaky about Rob Gronkowski not that old. His body took a lot of beatings, but he will be turning thirty six in May.
Speaker 3: How's the liver?
Speaker 1: That's a question that needs to be asked. But he's much younger than Mercedes Lewis.
Speaker 4: Who is you know, still going?
Speaker 1: Still going? Yes, that was a surprising report. All right, change your gears. We'll get serious here for a second. Let's listen to Eric Tacosta, the general manager of the Baltimore Ravens. Now, the Ravens had released a few statements about the allegations against Justin Tucker and the multiple many many women now over ten that have alled sexual assault misconduct, and the Ravens hadn't addressed it publicly until Tuesday. Let's listen to Eric DaCosta, their general manager, at the podium.
Speaker 9: Well, I think a lot goes into that. First of all, good question, appreciate the question. The allegations are serious, concerning the amount of allegations are serious and concerning. I think we're fortunate that the league is doing an investigation. We'll wait as patiently as we can for as much information as we can. It will make a decisions based on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the tone that DaCosta brought there and then later that John Harbaugh also brought, made me think this is just a matter of time. The allegations and investigating all that is much more important than like his status with the Ravens or what happens next with Justin Tucker. But John Harbaugh also said Kicker would have been a position we would have been looking at heavily. Anyways, Even putting this aside, so we are looking heavily at that position. And just from a football perspective, my takeaway was, I'd be stunned if Justin Tucker is ever you know, in a Ravens uniform again or an NFL uniform. Yeah, And the NFL is investigating that and and we'll see if he gets an official suspension. They also did speak much more about just like football matters, and so this is zero points fifteen through seventeen.
Speaker 2: By the way, that was fifteen.
Speaker 1: I was surprised how optimistic Tacosta was about getting a deal done with Ronnie Stanley. He said it in a way that I've been to enough of these that I don't think it was just GM's speak. It actually sounded like, oh, we've made some real progress, and I think.
Speaker 2: This is going to happen.
Speaker 3: Well. Ronnie Stanley has been very open about the fact that he wants to be a Baltimore raven for life, and he said that on numerous occasions this season. So I really do think that this is one of those where we can take what was said at the podium and actually clock it in a serious way. Because Ronnie Stanley's been asked about this a few times and has said each time he would like to be a Raven for life. I also think there's something to his tenure with that strength and conditioning and medical department. They really, I mean amazing to come back from everything, all the things that he came back from and have a healthy season and making that progress in the same building I think is probably important too.
Speaker 1: It really shows what a good organization can and do and get as an advantage. I think that lesser organizations cannot because they asked this man to take a pay cut last year. This is a guy who has been an all he did. He was forced essentially to take a pay cut and stay. Usually that guy like Josh Sweat, for instance, this year with the Eagles, He's not gonna stay with the Eagles. He's gonna take the biggest contract. Usually that guy goes the next year. And he's my number three free agent left tackle with the Baltimore Ravens. A very up and down career, but the highs are really high. A lot of injuries, but it really sounds like the number three guy on my list will not make it a free agency.
Speaker 3: We will see lest that Drew Rosenhaus complimented to Rosenhouse, super agent.
Speaker 1: The top one to one get a lot of pop. By the way, DaCosta thought a lot of good guards. He was very specific about what he thought the Ravens need in this draft. So I always think that's interesting when teams are out front with that. And he said, we're gonna be able to find some guards that can play for us in this draft, and it is known as a pretty deep guard class. And then he thought their biggest needs were actually edge and outside linebacker. Kid say, I disagree, but just interesting. If you think about that roster, they want someone next to Rokwan Smith. They really need difference making edge more depth there. So just I thought that was interesting. Points eighteen through twenty and then we're going to take a quick break. Joe Hortis, the Los Angeles Chargers general manager, was asked about Khalil Mack. He said, and this was news to me that Khalil Mack is not retiring.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that was I was gonna say, I did not actually know that that was in consideration because I just assumed Khalil Mack was just going to keep chugging along.
Speaker 2: Joe knew that. Joe Hortiz and I think he has reached the point of his career.
Speaker 1: He being Khalil Mack that it was not a guarantee that he was going to play football against I could be wrong. Maybe someone's reported this before. I've never seen that, so I think Joe kind of broke that news. And he also said that they are negotiating a and he sounded hopeful about bringing Khalil Mack back. We'll see if that happens or not. I think that that's up in the air, but I think they'll they'll give it a good shot. He mentioned Zion Johnson, who's a first round pick from a few years ago who's frankly struggled at guard, will be tried at center. They need a new center this season. That might be like a salvation. Just give it a shot, and they're going to bring in another center. But that was interesting. And then I thought he was more optimistic on Mac than he necessarily was on Joey Bosa. Joey Bosa is under contract, he is not a free agent. I think if you look at his contract, it makes sense for Joey Bosa to be released. When asked about Joey Bosa, Cortiz said he wants to retire a charger I'd love for him to retire a Charger. I love Joey the teammate and competitor. Sneaky non answer there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a subtle way of publicly asking a player to take a pay cut really just to stay.
Speaker 2: He just took one though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know. And you know it's interesting the local reporters out there covering the Chargers, they do believe that he's going to be released.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was from Chris rim is his name with with ESPN dot com, so I should credit Obviously. Some of these are coming at the podium, which is free to all, and some like this one is at a little side session.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have to admit I tried to go back into reporter mode. It's it's been a minute.
Speaker 4: I know we were lurking. We were lurking in the scrounds over here.
Speaker 1: So I went great. I went to Horties. He was one of the first guys up, but I was over at Shane for the first ten minutes. And you know you're checking on Twitter, man, did anyone ask about about Joey Bosa.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to know that his answer to that question.
Speaker 1: Did anyone, Well, it's not on Twitter and then you ask someone because you don't want to double ask the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 1: And then by the time I'm like Joe, Joe, they're like times up and he's he was like off and I didn't get it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm proud of you for trying. But here's a little behind the curtain beat writer etiquette. So the reason that wasn't asked at the podium is because the beat. Let me tell the last I know, you're the best like ally to beat rights on the planet, seriously, like it is for like years and years and years around the NFL and now NFL Daily like you. You are the person that recognizes the beat writers. I'm serious about that. But for the listener, the etiquette is when you are in these scrums. The really annoying thing is when somebody helicopter's in that's not on the beat. Because the beat understands that they will get a side session in which the newsworthy questions that they do not want aggregated and basically their work going to someone else's aggregation before they can write it up themselves. So that's why they don't ask it publicly in front of the entire podium.
Speaker 4: They wait for the side session. Now, I'm glad it was asked, but you are in danger of being that guy. So I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I'm glad he didn't work out.
Speaker 4: That's what where you meet me, beat writers.
Speaker 2: You make your judgment call.
Speaker 1: There are certain like unspoken rules that a lot of the people here don't even aren't aware.
Speaker 4: Of necessarily, but you are greg because you you can this.
Speaker 1: This would be a case where I don't care, like, don't be so precious, oh, beat writers, that you got the exact same information on the side session. It's gonna get aggregated anyways. This this is it's just a very basic offseason question.
Speaker 4: Feel personally attacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it to me that one. I think there are there are subtleties. This is like you gotta are you confident Joey Boses back with the.
Speaker 3: Team or not?
Speaker 2: Like, calm down, Beat writers, everyone can hear that chance.
Speaker 1: I don't know every single situation. Sometimes some coaches don't do side sessions. They are and the question hadn't been asked.
Speaker 3: But they are. The beat writers are aware. We're not gonna go we're being pedantic now, but the beat writers are aware that that will happen.
Speaker 1: Sure, But then like, you know, Mike Rabel, he's not doing any side stuff and like just a lot of stuff doesn't get asked.
Speaker 2: Who do you really care about?
Speaker 1: The other beat writers or the listeners, the audience, the fans of the Chargers. Let's take a quick break. We're gonna be back. We're gonna have twenty seven more takeaways, and we're also gonna hear from a couple of general managers right after this.
Speaker 2: Back on NFL Daily.
Speaker 1: All Right, we've had twenty of the forty seven things that we learned here Tuesday at the combine.
Speaker 3: We're making good time.
Speaker 1: Twenty one Aaron Glenn, this was good football guy through and through.
Speaker 2: Number one. He was either sweaty or had spilled stuff on his shirt one or the other. Either way.
Speaker 3: Football guy, football guy, total football guy. I will say in the Google doc bullet point twenty one says Aaron Glenn, colon football guy m Dash was either sweaty or wet.
Speaker 2: Just he's a He's such a football guy.
Speaker 3: Without the context. When I opened the doc, I was like, Okay, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: He's just like we are here to win now.
Speaker 1: He talks and you definitely get Dan Campbell vibes, and Aaron Glenn was a fully formed personality as a player and a coach before he ever worked for Dan Campbell. I just think some of their strengths happened to be similar, as like guys you would want to run through a wall for Let's listen to him talking about just something that made.
Speaker 2: Him a little mad.
Speaker 6: I'm confident that you can find a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: We're confident. We're trying to win games, so that may be. It is what it is, so and that's it.
Speaker 10: And the thing is, I don't want to disrespect any other the players we have in my team, and they kind of pisses me off and some of the other players that that's what we all talk about. You have Quinn Williams, you have Quinson william you have avt now you have Joe Tibman. All those guys need to be respected as far as winning games.
Speaker 1: Also, I like the fire there from I love that Aaron Glenn and a little context partly in reference to a tweets out by Quinn Williams where he had a thumbs down emoji for them getting rid of Aaron Rodgers. So when Aaron Glenn is saying that he's pissing off some people, he's not just talking about fansy, I guess he's talking about Quinn Williams.
Speaker 2: And I just love how straightforward he is.
Speaker 3: I know, what you see is what you get with him, and I love it. I was over listening to Dan Campbell late in the late in the afternoon at his podium and he was, of course the Jets beat was in full over there, and they were asking about Aaron Glenn and he was just talking about how Aaron Glenn was the he said the words the CEO of our defense and would be key and critical as a figure, and an insight in their strategy meetings and their situational meetings, those types of things. I think that was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So a lot of what the combine is press conference wise is confirming things or more evidence that something you think is going to happen is probably going to happen. That was the case with questiadofa Mensa speaking on Tuesday saying about Sam Donald, we have options, and so you know the options would be tag and trade, just let him walk with a compensatory pick, long term deal.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be one of the first two.
Speaker 1: But he also said, we're so proud of what Sam did for us, and it does feel like he's talking in the past tense, and he said, we don't want to overweight what he did the fifteen game first fifteen games of the season and underweight last two games of the season, or vice versa, like it is a really tricky mental exercise to assign the proper weight to everything that happens. But what he finished with is what he left me with, which is like, we also don't want to overlook those two games.
Speaker 2: Yes, why they happened.
Speaker 3: I thought that was an I thought that was an extraordinariarrowly honest answer. Really it was because those two games were the floor with Sam Donald that the Vikings themselves had not scene, and so they have data on it now. And I will say, you know, that continued to be the question throughout the year over there is what is this guy's floor. We're seeing a ceiling at this point, we're seeing what we think felt he was capable of and the potential that he's reaching, So they didn't quite know the floor. Whenever you're making a decision about the quarterback, you have to ascertain how high or how low that floor is.
Speaker 2: This week is the week.
Speaker 1: I believe they'll determine if they have a trade market strong enough to tag and trade him, and we'll find out. March fourth is the day that they have to tag him by or else he will be a free agent.
Speaker 2: Number six on my list.
Speaker 1: Maybe too high, but quarterbacks get a huge position bump up, and he's the top one out there for now.
Speaker 4: The list endorsed by Drew Rosenhaus Superior.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, now, I just feel like you're being condescending.
Speaker 3: I'm really happy for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you a great it's a great little surprise twenty three and twenty fours from Demiico Ryans. I liked how much he wanted to improve so many things on his roster. He's some guys will just be like, we want to improve everything. He's like the offensive line is a main point of VENTA.
Speaker 4: He's like, yeah, we need we need help.
Speaker 1: He's like, wide receiver is a big area of emphasis. We need wide receivers. They said they have ongoing talks with Stefan Diggs. They liked having him in the building. He's coming off an injury. I think that uh, marriage makes sense for both sides to continue. But he also admitted he doesn't know when or if I think is unsaid Tank Dell is going to be back this season, and so you know you can't count on those two guys. So he said that's a big main area emphasis. But then he kept going and he was like, you know, the more I looked at it, actually we need more defensive linemen and so the defensive tackle is another main area of emphasis or him. So those are your Texans needs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean it's that's again that was a point of honesty during lying season. I would agree, And I think anytime you have a dynamic defensive coach like Demiko Ryans, You're obviously always gonna look, Okay, where can we like improve and where can we just add little little pieces in different places all along the roster, even if the offensive needs are the most glaring. And I honestly I like this team now as problem solvers, especially with the energy they have in the building with Demiko, with Nick Kyley, the new offensive point here that they brought out. I was talking with someone with the Texans to the side of when Demiko was on the NFL Network set and they were talking about how just like they believe that they have answers to problems, you know, like it's something that and he said it in a striking way where it's like, this is good momentum, this is new for us. This is great to have to feel like you actually can go out and problem solve in a way that is functional.
Speaker 1: I think Debigo Ryans is an incredible defensive problem solver. I will give Nick Cassario his flowers. I like how they've yeah built this team up from the front office. The offensive planning was kind of where it was lacking, and so that's the hope with Nick Kyley. Certainly twenty five through twenty seven.
Speaker 4: We got a new contract one of our favorite players to watch this year.
Speaker 1: Shout out Khalil Shakir four year extension quote unquote up to so who knows what that means sixty million, so that that would be max value. The key number is thirty two million dollars guaranteed. You would assume that's mostly, if not all, in the first two years of the contract, so that if I had to guess, it'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of like two for thirty two or some of that guarantees into the thirty year, but it's roughly fifteen sixteen million dollars probably in the first two years of his contract, which is the rare case. And this is no slight to Shakira or his agent. There are reasons that this happened, but it's a it's a deal. The second it's signed, it's like, that's a good value, you know, like that's a good deal of business for both sides. And he's a late round pick who's still a year away from free agency, so of course you take thirty million dollars guarantees, that's who I would be.
Speaker 3: Doing it early is ultimately like, like you said that, doing it early like that is ultimately going to be good. He and I want to be clear on this. He is a Volume one and they obviously went in the draft and looked around for another player who could be dynamic for them Kean Coleman, and I think they're gonna do it again. I think they're gonna keep drafting and sort of overhauling, especially while they have a vault, like specifically a Volume one under contract.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting because the contract's not for a one. So that's what I think they love so that he's almost got the contract of a one. They have a first round pick.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I think they add to that position.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's going to be Amari Cooper was interesting, by the way, this is not one of the points. I'm just adding one for free because we just love forty eight.
Speaker 2: We just love our listeners.
Speaker 1: Sean McDermott was the only coach to speak on Monday Weird, and he was like, yeah, Kean Coleman, it was pretty up and down. It was he was, he said, essentially after his injury. It was a little rough more or less. I'm paraphrasing a couple more bills points quickly. Brandon Bean, he said, we'll see on Razila Douglas who's a free agent. That's code for he gone. And he was asked about James Cook, a story I didn't make yet on the show, James Cook being out front saying he wants specifically fifteen million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: I believe I'm worth that money. I want that money now.
Speaker 1: And he also called James Cook a beautiful man, and like I think he would have rathered maybe James kept. I think he meant like he's beautiful that he just speaks his mind. But he Yeah, he's an attractive guy too.
Speaker 3: I think it's there's at least one wholesome moment per press conference between the two of them, whether it's Sean or Brandon Bean. Brandon Bean loves the circuit. He's like on all the he does. So I think that's why Sean went early. He's like, yeah, the people are here for Brandon Bean, so let's let's so.
Speaker 1: I'm being a little rude when I said to start the show, all the gms are starting to look like each other, because just to paint the picture, we're at a table, we're at a set. I don't one hundred and fifty feet away. One hundred feet away. I'm not good at approximated fee. And so you see the podiums, and they all they've all got like the pullover.
Speaker 4: The quarters up convention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they all there's like a group of them.
Speaker 1: Goody was is on my floor in my hotel, and so I've seen him in the elevator and there's like a mix of like Goody Brandon Bean. I don't know, like maybe you throw Veach in there. You can kind of tell who what Beach looks like. Borganzi, the New Titans guy where they all kind of just look like, like create a GM on.
Speaker 3: Madden Sim's characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just sort of look like GM, and I just like I look like, you know, average small podcaster like they.
Speaker 3: I thought you and James Gladstone really hit it off in terms of like similar appearances.
Speaker 2: Good, good tease. We both like our shackets. He's on your shackets and your hair sweel he's on later. That's true. We gotta get we got to get there. Okay.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight through thirties, the Eagles section of the show, Howie Roseman, I just like that. He said I can't stop thinking about offensive lineman and the lineman and that he would consider it unhealthy, so he's got to keep adding there. He wouldn't get an answer on Miles Garrett. And I bring that up because there was an ESPN report that, like league sources think that the Eagles might be pushing in on Miles Garrett.
Speaker 4: I would love that fit and I don't care getting better.
Speaker 2: I love it that goes along with.
Speaker 1: That he can't stop thinking about offensive lineman and defensive lineman.
Speaker 11: You know, it is a.
Speaker 3: Very well executed, performative football show that he puts on every off season, where every little tidbit and every little appearance and every everything is I think a mathematical equation towards what this team is going to be and its identity, And honestly, I kind of love.
Speaker 1: That that would be amazing if they went big. He spoke about where they were in their process. Not to pat myself on the back again, but we talked on the NFC East preview that they're at an interesting place in their cycle as a team. And I was saying this that they have a lot of their young twenty eight, twenty six, twenty seven year olds sign long term, and what he was kind of saying was like, this is kind of an off season to push for us because we actually don't have a lot. We have a lot of young guys under contract. We can be a little riskier this offseason. So I'm gonna move the points around and point forty two is actually coming up here. It's a point thirty. It's making a big move because the Andrew Berry news he literally moved it in the document.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 4: That is how committed to the show. Greg Rosenthal is.
Speaker 1: Okay, Andrew Barry is the Browns general manager. He talked about Miles Garrett. We should talk about these two things together. Yes, of course, very strong, saying it's irrelevant how many people have called because we aren't interested in trading him, and when as strong as possible that they are not interested.
Speaker 2: At first, I wasn't buying from the Browns. Are you buying now?
Speaker 3: I could go either way, honestly, I could be tucked into either way, because I do believe that they understand that trading a player of that caliper is it could backfire on you.
Speaker 2: He said he didn't see how it would help them, you know fair Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean if you got a crapload of compensation, I could see how it would help you. But that's the thing is some of this is also posturing driving the price up publicly. Now. I don't actually think they're getting into this looking too specifically trade him like that, it's already a foregone conclusion. I do think that it's really helpful to drive the price up this way, and that they could trade him if they had the right price.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think that's well said, thanks Greg. They by saying this, it's sort of making the point. You're right that they're not looking to trade him, and it's gonna take that. They're ready to keep him. They're probably expecting to keep him unless they get a true mother load. And we'll see. We'll see if they get a true motherload. I would love to see it. I still think it could happen. I guess I'm not totally buying it.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 1: I think he's expecting the motherload offer to come. Now it's point thirty one. You got to back it all up. Nick Sirianni of the Eagles had some interesting comments we mentioned on Monday Show with Tom how at least one team packers.
Speaker 2: You know, they're trying to get rid of the touch push. Nick isn't happy about it. Let's listen.
Speaker 6: You know, I almost feel a little insulted because we work so hard at that play, the fact that it's an automatic thing, that like, we work really really hard, and our guys are talented at this play, and so it's a little insulting to say it's just just you know, we're good at it, so it's automatic. We work really hard at it. There wasn't a lot of injuries there. I think that's I think it's a little made up, to be honest. Now, the numbers will will tell the truth. But I don't think there was many injuries with it this year. I can't remember one injury we had on that play, and we bran it more than everybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the point that he made about there's actually no data for extra injuries on this great point because it's true.
Speaker 3: I know that. I know he came with his note cards, I'm sure, and his little talk, his little rebuttal points too, because that's a very good point.
Speaker 1: There's it seems like you're putting your your offensive linemen and the defensive line two at a bigger risk. But there's so few plays, there's so little data, and there there isn't proof of the I don't think that's spush just staying that.
Speaker 2: I've I've come along.
Speaker 4: To like there's we're going to do this every off season, and it's something else comes.
Speaker 2: From I promise not to actually I promise not.
Speaker 4: I'm saying we the collective zeitgeist.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't happen this season, I'm not going to talk about it again. It's not going anywhere. The Eagles are awesome. Our next point and this is it's been a long day and I'm like what does that even mean. It's Brad Holmes of the Lions, and this is straight from our friend Kevin Patra who is out banging out great articles check them out on NFL dot com.
Speaker 3: From where we're sitting right now, he's been hard at work on this copy for like the last couple hours.
Speaker 2: He mentioned.
Speaker 1: Brad Holmes of his hometown Lions, admitted there's probably not room with the way their build is and their roster for another big pass rusher splash. I'm surprised, but that would seem to indicate they would not be in the Garrett business for ye.
Speaker 3: Yes. A similarly related tidbit. The videos of Aiden Hutchinson running that circulated across social media. You know, as he continues to make his return or make his way toward returning, obviously you're going to see where he's at and I think build around him.
Speaker 2: That just put it together for me.
Speaker 1: He's up for another contract, not that it would be this offseason, but they know they're going to pay ad In Hutchinson top tier money. So can you bring a Miles Garrett aboard when you know Hutchinson's getting that deal either this August or next February or whenever it's going to be.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, Jordan.
Speaker 3: This must be how you felt when Drew Rosenhaus come, a superagent, approached you on the street to complement your top one hundred.
Speaker 1: Top one o one one free agent and try to take away that one for me. Pff, I see what you're doing going one oh one now too.
Speaker 2: It's up with that.
Speaker 1: Ryan Poles was one of the gentlemen that we got to speak with today, and we're going to run his interview. Like I said, later in the week, they're all not going to be today. But I think he had a little newsy nugget, which is I positioned that they haven't really spent money in free agency on the offensive line. They obviously have needs there, and he indicated that that's an opportunity they're looking to spend on the interior line specifically, so that that's something you could expect them to do now.
Speaker 3: I thought that, plus his re emphasis, which I know it's been a couple of years that he has said things like this, but the re emphasis and sort of emphatic way he talked about needing to run the book and needing to shore up and better basically identify better talent and figure out what combination works the best, you know, figure out what center works the best. With Caleb Williams, he went over a couple of possibilities of traits in that regard, So yeah, I thought that was a little bit newsy, little tidbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 1: And he also said the left tackle position will be open for competition, so Braxton Jones is not locked in there, which really says like four of their spots are pretty wide open, which it's tough. He talked about the juice that Ben Johnson has points thirty four through thirty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of dip on that chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm surprised Ben Johnson sneaky amount of swag, sneak amount of like he can lead a room, leadership presence, and sneaky tall, all of that with Ben Johnson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had quite a day of discovery.
Speaker 2: I think I thought he profiles as like a shorter guy, but he's not. And he also is surprisingly yes, swaggy.
Speaker 1: And Ryan Poles said the same thing that like, don't he doesn't know why people think that of Ben Johnson.
Speaker 2: He absolutely is kind of careful.
Speaker 3: Because they think of him as like the Boston college nerd. Like, that's really what But that's the thing. He has a presence. It's points thirty four and thirty five.
Speaker 1: We're great examples. Look, you can be nerdy and still have all sorts of confidence.
Speaker 4: Nerd rage is a powerful thing.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I also like, he said, I didn't hire my friends. I purposefully went outside my circle to hire coaches, including Declan Doyle, his offensive coordinator, who I think it was Sean Payton who said he's like a young Ben Johnson, and Ben Johnson was like, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: So he's he didn't hire friends, but he did try to hire his own clones. Okay, weird.
Speaker 3: Can we take a minute to recognize the amount of subtle shots Ben Johnson has taken at other people in the league, like and not so subtle. We talked about this with Polls. Well, you'll hear it later in the week, like the Matt Lafleur shot that he took. It is true opening press conference. The fact that he said he didn't get there get to where he is because he had a famous last name or a family.
Speaker 4: Member in the business. And now he's saying this, I kind of love it.
Speaker 1: This dude has the juice and he's just having fun. Here's another word for taking shots, being honest.
Speaker 2: The NFL.
Speaker 1: This is how they all talk. Actually, I shouldn't say they're all like. I don't think Todd Bowles necessarily like. There are just guys that operate from a position of kindness and nicest and any any thoughts that they have there they're keeping it to themselves more than that. But four out of five of them are talking mad, you know, trash to each other and amongst themselves about each other.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, it is is like a little bit of honesty.
Speaker 3: Yes, I like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thirty six through thirty eight the Titans first press conference for.
Speaker 4: Cope season for the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 1: Everybody for Mike Organzi. I keep wanting to call him Nate Bargazzi.
Speaker 3: Who you did on accident today?
Speaker 1: By the way, I clocked it, and uh, he said they've received calls on the number one pick.
Speaker 2: That's zero point thirty six.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you're keeping truck, he wants as many one hundred top one hundred picks as possible, So me too.
Speaker 2: That was that was interesting. I'm kind of combining those two.
Speaker 1: He was asked the most important trait from a quarterback, I think by the same guy who's just like writing an article and had a much better answer than Joe Shane processing.
Speaker 4: I like, ooh, good buzzword. Good buzzword.
Speaker 2: I think that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I would say pocket, movement or processing.
Speaker 2: If I had to choose like one thing.
Speaker 4: I'd love a combination of both.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Say my question is like.
Speaker 4: As as we're talking about wantson knees.
Speaker 1: Those those would be my two. I mean it's great to be like six' five and.
Speaker 3: Fast oh do you know from, EXPERIENCE i just.
Speaker 2: Think that really.
Speaker 1: Matters like physical traits are also. Important you, know he's got a lot of physical Traits Will. Levis he says they don't want to Trade Will.
Speaker 2: Levis. Okay he also said they want to add through the draft and have a veteran. There so.
Speaker 1: That's Will levis plus those other two. GUYS i, think you, know if there's no market probably For Will, levis we'll. See he also was asked about like competing for the division and, said, well we'll manage. EXPECTATIONS i kind of like A gm that's actually not even talking up your Chances.
Speaker 3: I'm fine with that answer BECAUSE i think everybody on the planet can see what a rebuild this is going to continue to.
Speaker 1: Be and sometimes you get a pleasant surprise like seven win season out of the, gate and then you then it's a pleasant surprise if you.
Speaker 3: Set the bar, Low, yes it's going to be that much better when you win like four games when you expected.
Speaker 1: To you, know it's such an obvious cliche that you first, hear at LEAST i did maybe in your young twenties under sell and over. Deliver but as cliches, go it's one of the most important AND i think one of the. Best JUST i think if you live your life under selling and over, delivering everyone like set expectations very.
Speaker 4: Low was this in like dating or how when did you?
Speaker 2: Man, NO i think more ABOUT i don't know when it. Came it came of in some career.
Speaker 1: Setting, okay got it all, Right i'm talking job, specifically right in, general like not like in a job, interview you don't want to undersell yourself too, much.
Speaker 2: BUT i think in production in, general like sneak up on them a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, YEAH i think that's exactly what he's trying to do to do with, this, yeah you, know and they're, like, oh how do you do? That and you, know mid season we're, like oh my, god how fun are The?
Speaker 4: Titans? Now we did not see this.
Speaker 1: Coming you know who kind of snuck up on The Cognizanti Jason light of The Tampa Bay. BUCCANEERS i used to do the top GM's. RANKINGS i GUESS i don't do them anymore because it's been a couple of.
Speaker 3: Years well because they're not fully supported and endorsed By Drew Rosenhaus Comma.
Speaker 1: Superagent oh, man THE. Gms do you imagine they hate? These it was the only time anyone ever cared about. Anything just guys who would be ranked too low would be very. Upset but If i'm doing it again this, year maybe we'll bring it. Back this as like an. Episode Jason light's got to be top five and we talked to. Him you'll hear that conversation later in the. Week the most newsworthy THING i think he said to, us and he said similar versions of it to other media, Today but the way he said it to US i liked, best which was he, Said Chris godwin in the end is going to be on The Mount. Rushmore, yes Of Tampa Bay. Buccaneers that does not sound like a guy he is ready to let leave the.
Speaker 3: Building one of the things THAT i like about doing these in person sessions, too is you can see the way someone's face changes when they talk about. People for, example you're going to hear it in a little bit on this, EPISODE i throughout the Name Matthew stafford To john Spy tech and he kept his face extremely. Frozen Radio you're not giving anything? Away, Yeah and then but in this, Case Jason light was just he. MELTED i mean, really and how could you. Not Chris godwin's. Amazing he totally melted talking about. Him, obviously they have some things he mentioned this, Too they have some things to figure out in terms of like how back fully can he, be and extending that deadline really helps them get a little bit better data set on where he's actually at right, now as well as gives them some time to figure out what the contract would look.
Speaker 1: Like unfortunately for, them it also Gives Chris godwin's agent a little time to set the. Market and that Is i'm not Saying i'm like Buzz central, here but that is one item of buzz THAT i Think Chris, godwin despite the, injury has a real, market not a.
Speaker 2: Surprise he's the best wide receiver on the.
Speaker 1: Market it's either him or A Marii, cooper AND i think there are a lot of people that view him as a great combination of he's gonna change our locker room, potentially and as he gets healthier on a two or three year, contract he's gonna get better and be a really plus. Player SO i think he's gonna get a good, Contract but ULTIMATELY i think it's going to be from The bucks points forty and forty. One mike McDaniel revealed That Tyreek hill had surgery to repair ligament damage in his. Wrist there was not a break, there there was ligament, damage but that's. Noteworthy so he'll be recovering from. That we'll see if he's a potential trade target for teams this. Offseason no real clue on. That he also said That dolphins are operating as if they won't Have Toron, armstead indicating that he's more likely to retire than. Not that they are kind of assuming that unless they are told. Otherwise so they have a, man they have a lot of work to. Do The dolphins are sneaky going to be main characters this offseason BECAUSE i just think they have so many needs and so many players going, elsewhere and just like a lot's going on with The dolphins right.
Speaker 3: NOW i like that they kept some continuity on their. Staff you, Know Anthony weaver who was ON Nfl daily with us back in the regular. Season you, know he had some. Interviews BUT i like that they are actually able to keep their building. Intact. NOW i know that there's some heat locally On Chris greer and how are you building this? Roster there's some heat locally On mike McDaniel, frankly and SO i think and he just got the, extension but, still AND i think that this is a big, season of pivotal season about what do you guys really want to be made? Of what is your? Identity besides it was? Speed what is it going to be when the speed gets?
Speaker 2: Old they seem committed To Chris.
Speaker 1: GREER i talked With Tom, pelisarah how you, know when you guys are out there, reporting you've got to be very careful with how you say. THINGS i feel like as long as you preface it with, like here's some irresponsible speculation out of nowhere like if ever there was going to be a post draft, surprise IF i had to make one team to do it in THE nfl this, season and we've seen it over the years every once in a while with front offices that flip post. Draft it just hit me as you were, talking it's unlikely to. HAPPEN i haven't heard, anything but Like Chris, greer kind of fits the mold of guys that have suddenly lost their jobs after the draft. Before that's just me, spitballing and in the like two percent chance That i'm, RIGHT i will definitely honk about.
Speaker 4: It, yeah we have to cut and file this entire clip just in. Case we'll put it in The greg.
Speaker 2: File number forty three on the.
Speaker 1: List Andrew, barry who we talked about earlier in terms Of Miles, garrett also talked About Travis, hunter the Dynamic colorado prospect who could play cornerback or wide receiver at the next. Level interesting to me that a team right at the top of the draft The browns say they are Viewing Travis hunter as a wide receiver. First, Now borganzi said he thinks he could do. Both barry wasn't saying he couldn't do, both but he said spotting him yeah, first which is counter to conventional wisdom and at least how much of the media believes teams will View Travis hunter very it's.
Speaker 2: Fat, listen first time it's ever. Happened AND i.
Speaker 3: Wonder if there's a little smoke, there BECAUSE i would think that you would draft a number one corner a little bit.
Speaker 2: Higher AND i don't.
Speaker 4: KNOW i just think it's.
Speaker 3: INTERESTING i wonder if he's trying to maybe drop him a little bit.
Speaker 2: Down, well he's had, two he could always trade.
Speaker 4: Down, CERTAINLY i did trying to get him to.
Speaker 2: Do now here's some dot.
Speaker 1: Connecting Daniel jeremiah is the only one in the media who is evaluating the players and saying the exact same thing That barry.
Speaker 2: Said what Does Daniel jeremiah?
Speaker 3: Know it's not even that You're, wendymia that's beside the.
Speaker 1: Point but If Daniel jeremiah sees a player a certain, way doesn't mean all THE nfl teams are even a majority, are but it means that some, are and The browns are apparently one of. Them and the argument that he made makes a lot of sense to. ME a actually wide receivers do make more, money so from A Travis hunter perspective and from AN nfl front office, perspective they value true one. Receivers and the thing that really stuck with me on DJ's evaluation is there's just not a lot of cornerbacks that are like elite players that are under one hundred and eighty, pounds whereas wide receivers there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot there's.
Speaker 1: Plenty Denzel ward would be an, exception But Denzel ward's a guy who hasn't been healthy at. All and can a guy Like Travis hunter hold up having to make those tackles on the edge and. Stuff it's a fascinating question we'll talk about as the draft gets.
Speaker 2: Closer let's do some.
Speaker 1: News rap sheet broke the news that there's already been some trade talks between The commanders with other teams About Jonathan, allen their Former All Pro Pro bowl defensive. Tackle shout out to the twenty three candidate's trade candidates. Show we Threw Jonathan allen out there just as like a, guest and that one sounds like it could.
Speaker 3: Happen, yeah that was actually some early news today, too which is kind of interesting that it hit the circuit before everyone else showed.
Speaker 4: Up so Rap sheets always hustle in.
Speaker 1: That that's, like, well he Arrived monday afternoon. EVENING i BELIEVE i know his. Schedule and so you think you think Rap sheets staying in the hotel like, me AFTER i saw That nuggets, games like, NO i went. Home it's a great it's a great feeling to be, like, WAIT i don't have to stay.
Speaker 2: Out super late in like some cigar filled room till like two in the. MORNING i could just go home IF i.
Speaker 3: Want this is.
Speaker 2: GREAT i don't know why it took me so long to realize.
Speaker 3: This that's.
Speaker 1: Maturity and, yeah So i'm sure Rap sheet was already starting and a lot of times during this, week and we'll be updating the news all. Week, yeah the conversations that happen in these bars at, night they turn into tweets by our.
Speaker 3: Insiders and of course the commander is also kind of a favorite in the discussion for any possible Bul Miles Garrett trade kind of one of the favorites as.
Speaker 2: Well Brian, gutakanz WHO i, mentioned looks like a few other.
Speaker 4: And is your hotel, neighbor, Right i'm.
Speaker 2: Not trying to blow up a, spot BUT i guess no one knows where it, is will he.
Speaker 1: Said he said ON JayR alexander will see we'll see his combine code for he. Gone SO i don't think they're going to Bring alexander. Back i'll have to think about where to put him on the one oh one if they do cut him and don't find a trade for, him which is WHAT i think will. Happen and he was one of many of the general managers to say we need to be able to rush with.
Speaker 3: Four how we do that remains to be. Seen again, subtle not so. Subtle, yeah reference to some of the players available in free agency and some of these, dynamic especially interior guys in the draft, class they're fiddling over their combination number forty.
Speaker 1: SIX i was, like we got to Get monty acid forour into the. Show it's the off, Season, monty and it's not really catching on. Yet i'm pushing this. One it's a Big It's monty comes to center. STAGE i feel like The cardinals are just ignored and he's gonna need to have more juicy stuff to talk about at the podium to really.
Speaker 2: Get people.
Speaker 1: Excited he did say he wanted to add to the quarterback room that that was a. PRIORITY i think he means the backup, position but just. UPGRADE i think the backup position is going to be important to.
Speaker 3: Him you're gonna get some really good backups in like the, fourth, fifth, sixth seventh rounds of this.
Speaker 1: Class really and it's a really deep backup quarterback free agency.
Speaker 4: Class bridge guys.
Speaker 1: Abound it's really weird how cheap guys Like jamis And Mason. Rudolph to, me they have a lot of, value and yet there's there's actually so many of them that they don't have that much.
Speaker 2: VALUE i.
Speaker 1: Guess he also, Said Joana, williams this is just little, housekeeping BUT i like tracking all. This If Joanah, williams Former bengals tackle who was paid a lot of money by The cardinals to help them at the tackle position but had a major, injury there was some question whether they might cut. Him he made it, Clear Joana, williams we'll be. Back so just little. Housekeeping he will remain on The. Cardinals and we wrap up our forty seven. Points we made up the number to start the, show and then we backfilled forty. Seven we got to leave it to our guy D Orlando ledbetter and one of our favorite traditions of the.
Speaker 2: Year, explain explain it and throw it to. D, yeah so.
Speaker 3: Every everyone knows that The university Of georgia always had like especially in recent, years has just sent a ton of players to the draft and d led he always stands front and center To Terry fonteau's press conference and a couple of other guys as, well and he asks them to talk about The and he's AN i by the, way he's one of the all time beat writer greats in our business in icon and he always wears a very unique bow tie and like he's he's an awesome. Dude and he stands at the very front and he asked THE gm to talk about the x number Of georgia players coming down in the, draft and then he lists.
Speaker 2: Them let's listen in just give us. This it's kind of like one for. Us it just amuses. Us just love, It De. Orlando we're gonna listen to his. Question then we're gonna take a.
Speaker 1: Break on the other side of the, break you will hear our interviews with the New raiders general Manager john Spy. Tech he makes it clear he's just not a friend Of tom fot he's his own. Guy he gave me the business a little.
Speaker 2: Bit was a fun.
Speaker 1: Conversation and then you'll hear immediately after that our conversation with the new kid on The. Block looks like he could be in The New kids on The. Block james Glatz, on the general manager of The. Jaguars we will close out the show on the other side of. That but, first, yeah De, orlando take it away.
Speaker 11: Here we didn't ask you about the fourteen players from The university Of georgia who are at the combine at two From Georgia tech the past you talk about putting up peaches on the, board got another twenty five players from high schools In. Georgia what is that like for you, know having a fertile local ground for your logo day and kids just scout and the maybe hill bought the team THAT.
Speaker 1: I here With John, spytech the general manager of The Las Vegas. Raiders welcome to your first combine running a.
Speaker 12: Team my gotta even know what is my twenty, third twenty four combines first and a share like, this so, yeah great to BE i was just joking my.
Speaker 5: Kids almost half of a year spent In india in my. Life that.
Speaker 4: Is, yeah when you do the, math it's. Concerning, YEAH i, KNOW i like AND i like.
Speaker 1: IT i like that it's here, Too BUT i also, think, like of all the places That i've spent a week in once a, year you, KNOW i could mix it. Up everyone is so fixated On. Indianapolis but let's let's get to, You. John we all have A raiders fan in our. Life, YEAH i love. That mine happens to be my personal, trainer which is embarrassing BECAUSE i have the body of like a thirteen year.
Speaker 5: Old it's kind of a humble breag.
Speaker 1: There, yeah it's like And i'm, LIKE i, said, Well i'm GONNA i told HIM i was gonna talk to, you and he's just, like just tell him we need a.
Speaker 2: Quarterback bring up the.
Speaker 1: QUARTERBACKS i am ready to give up on The raiders if he does not get us.
Speaker 2: Quarterback so what are you gonna do to make him happy and get a?
Speaker 12: Quarterback this autum sounds like we better find a quarterback that, listen what's his, Name?
Speaker 5: Steven. Steven we gotta Make steven.
Speaker 12: Happy we don't make our leaders trans to a HAPPY i, Listen we're gonna the way That i've, been the Way i've learned is you look, on you look, everywhere and you stay open, minded and then you end up In tampa like With Tom. Brady give me whoever would have Thought Tom brady would have come To. Tampa we were the losing his team and the four major sports in The american history at the, time and then the grace of all time shows up and then we found our way To baker. Two SO i, Listen we're gonna take this day at a. Time we're still working With pete And chip and the offensive staff about what's what's most, important what are the non, negotiables and you, know we're gonna keep swinging until we until we find that.
Speaker 3: Guy how aggressive are you prepared to? Be you guys have a lot of capital available to. You there's a lot of names floating, Around Matthew stafford being one of.
Speaker 4: Them but how aggressive are you guys thinking you're willing to?
Speaker 3: Be knowing that you, know you And pete sat up in your intro pressors and talked about wanting to be com very.
Speaker 4: Competitive, Immediately, YEAH.
Speaker 5: I think we'd.
Speaker 12: Be we're going to be intelligently aggressive and we're mindful of the money that we have and not just not just lighted on fire just to say, like, yeah we got three quarterbacks in a room, now and maybe one.
Speaker 5: Of them can be.
Speaker 2: It you, KNOW i Make steven happy, Though, YEAH i mean.
Speaker 12: It's going to be we go on the top of my. Board Make stephen, happy which should make all Of raaiter nation. Happy we play in a great, division and it's it's no. Secret if we don't we don't build a good, team and we don't we don't have a quarterback and support that, quarterback, like we're going to have a hard time in our. Division so you, know, Listen i've never been one to run from a. CHALLENGE i Know pete isn't one to run from a. Challenge and we're acutely aware of the quality of, coach quarterback roster and our division and we got.
Speaker 5: To put something together to compete with those.
Speaker 1: Times, honestly it's hard to folk just knowing how much Pop steven is getting in this interview and how happy he's gonna, be and how HAPPY i am that you, said, OH i know you before you interviewed. Me it's, like, OH i know you, Said Now I'm i'm just melting.
Speaker 4: You it is about, You, Greg it's all about and a personal.
Speaker 5: Trainer that's.
Speaker 1: It you, know you mentioned How Tom brady came To. Tampa maybe you were part of that reason because you obviously have a relationship with. Him you, were though a freshman on The michigan team when he was a. Senior what was The was there much of an interaction like then between you.
Speaker 12: TWO i MEAN i was on the scout team as a recher. FRESHMAN i MEAN i had much more daily interactions With Steve hutchinson And Jeff, bacchus who were who were beat me to death on the. Field but, YEAH i Mean tom was a great teammate. THEN i, remember you, know he would spend time with the freshman and eat dinner or eat meals with, us and you know he had that way about him back then, too you, know even before The Orange, bowl which he'd play that Great Orange bowl Against alabama where he led us back two different times from a fourteen point deficit and kind of like that was his you know swan song into THE. Nf, well that's just who he, is you, know it was who he was, then it is who he is. Now you, KNOW i WOULD i would Challenge tom to honestly answer that if he walked up to me In tampa without knowing WHO i, was that he could tell you WHO i was after those twenty years have. Passed i'm sure he would tell you that he did KNOW i WOULD i would be suspected that to say the.
Speaker 5: Least But i'm glad.
Speaker 12: That we've kind of reconnected our time In tampa and now In, vegas and you, know he's he's become a good friend but also a great resource for. Me and then, Listen i'm not sitting in the seat Because i'm friends With Tom. Brady it's not what he's. About to his, Core he's about football and winning football and being. Competitive and if you, know if you, don't if you're going to be on a team that he's a part of and you don't embody those, things you got no.
Speaker 4: Chance AND i love how that baries with your.
Speaker 3: Philosophy we've talked about it, Before, john and then also With pete's philosophy as.
Speaker 4: Well one thing we know About pete is he's going to want to run the.
Speaker 3: Ball he's going to want to be, Physical he's gonna want To you guys as a collective are going to want to kick some teeth in really former.
Speaker 4: LINEBACK i, mean my.
Speaker 3: Goodness so this run, game this offensive line in, combination you, know you guys have a lot of questions to, answer a lot of a lot of things to figure out with this front and with that run, game revitalizing, it bringing some juice back into. It what's your assessment of where you guys are at some young offensive linemen we kind of.
Speaker 12: Popped, yeah, YEAH i think that when you started going through the, roster when we first got to To, Vegas you're, like, oh we've got some we got some good young pieces here that we can really build upon and in a place where it's really critical and my belief and my success is really in this in this league to have, that and you, know we're going to keep churning through that till we have the right group, together because it's about having talented, guys but it's about the cohesion in the. Groups the best. Ones i've been a part of that group In tampa last. Year they just they kind of walk lockstep. Together they're kind of about the same, things they hang out. TOGETHER i mean that that is kind of one of those position groups where it really, matters and so you, know but we got a great foundation, there and we got a great foundation on THE d line too with With max And christian and you, Know Malcolm coons has done some good things and so you, know it's a great place to. Start but we do have a big challenge in front of, us so it's one that we're excited.
Speaker 1: About you Mentioned Malcolm, koon so that reminds me of there's a lot of free, agents especially on the defensive side of, all a lot of good PLAYERS i. GOT i put out a list of free agents that came, out AND i got a lot of people, saying, oh you should Have Dron morig even.
Speaker 2: Higher he is that good of a.
Speaker 1: Player, like what are your thoughts of him And kuon's especially kind of as you enter this free agent period knowing they might have interest.
Speaker 5: Elsewhere, YEAH i mean, It they're both are good young.
Speaker 12: Players you, Know kuon's obviously had the unfortunate injury last year that kind of that will cost him his entire season and just as he was starting to, Play so you know that'll be a factor and how we figure this. Out but certainly MORE i think it's taken took a big step forward last year with his play and And Patrick graham coming, Back it's going to be a familiar defense in a lot of. Ways Now pete's going to have some influence on it as. Well So i'm excited to see how it kind of manifests, itself and you, know how we fit our players in. There but, YEAH i, mean they're both good young, players and we just we don't want to be in the habit of letting good young players leave leave the buildague.
Speaker 3: SKIS i, mean have you Watched pete And patrick collaborate, together BECAUSE i, Mean pete ran an iconic defense, OBVIOUSLY i Think Patrick gram's one of the best defensive, coordinators is one of the best coaches in THE. Nfl these schemes and these philosophies mirroring, TOGETHER i, MEAN i know you're dorking out over this internally every.
Speaker 12: Day, YEAH i unfortunately have so much to. DO i don't get to be in those meetings that. Much But peter to come up and just be, like, oh we had a great. Meeting oh there's so many good ideas up. There you go down to the whiteboard and it's things written, everywhere And i'm with. YOU i, Mean Pete's pete's resume and you know the defenses he built basically everywhere he's. Been but obviously everybody thinks Of. Seattle they speak for, themselves and you, Know patrick's done a great job. TOO i mean that was a really hard defense to. Crack last year we played him In tampa and they gave you everything you wanted and WITHOUT i, Mean max actually got injured in that game and finished the. Game and you know they're missing coons and they had some other injuries. Too So i'm excited to what becomes of. IT i hope that we can kind of like get through the draft AND i can be a part of those meetings a little bit. More BUT i hear all the great things AND i just haven't got to witness some first a little, bit little. Folmos i'm a little bit of a fumbo person.
Speaker 1: Too so that press conference That pete and you, had you, WERE i wouldn't have known that you guys had just got a met because it was like a buddy comedy.
Speaker 2: Deal like a lot of.
Speaker 1: Juice in that room Between Pete carroll and the defensive, coordinator a lot of jews on the field With Max. Crosby, obviously throughout the, year See long said he always wanted to be A, raider kind of backed off of that a little bit late last, season wanted to see what was happening with the. Organization are you Confident Max crosby is going to be part of this?
Speaker 12: Team, WELL i mean he's he's one of the great players in the. League and you, know he And i've had some really good conversations just getting to know each, other and you, KNOW i shared the vision of Where pete AND i really want to take this. Thing and you, know he wants to be a. CHAMPION i MEAN i respect that immensely about. Him and you know there's people that say, that and there's people that do that and live that, life and he's living it right. NOW i, MEAN i don't have anything to do With my family's still In, tampa saw anything to. Do so WHENEVER i wake, UP i just go in and there's always a really nice car parked in the, spot and he's, there and he's there late, too and so you, know, listen he, said you want to be a. Champion we want to make him a, champion and you know we're going to start from, there and that's a good place to.
Speaker 1: Start appreciate all the time, Today John spytech general. Manager second. Podcast he's ever done with this. Group he already Did playmakers With jordan Rod.
Speaker 4: Rigg your notice he got all his plugs, correct but missed the name of. Mine do you want to?
Speaker 5: Do want you to?
Speaker 2: Do the play? Call the play?
Speaker 1: Call there's been a lot Of playmakers conversation about the OLD espn show, lately so had that in my. Head which podcast was better, though Like jordan's or this? One that's your final.
Speaker 5: Question. Jordan's oh it was more in, depth in. Depth it's.
Speaker 2: True we only had ten minutes. Here appreciate the.
Speaker 1: Time, thanks thanks for having us all right here With James, gladstone the general manager of The Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Jaguar holy. Cow how about?
Speaker 1: That like On friday they actually sent out a schedule of the combine and it said eleven thirty, Am JAGUARS Gmtbd and now here you, are just twenty four hours after meeting the local.
Speaker 8: Media welcome and what has this last week like been for? YOU i appreciate the op to sit down with you. Guys i'm a little disappointed THAT i didn't get how we do it?
Speaker 1: Right my?
Speaker 3: God the second podcast, Plug oh that's so. Cool James oh my.
Speaker 8: GOD a little, Disappointed but nonetheless it's been a great experience so. Far really getting to know our scouting and coaching staff over this stretch is going to be Something i'm really looking forward. To, obviously we haven't spent a ton of time, together and this is basically an off site for.
Speaker 5: Us we're already beginning the dialogue around.
Speaker 8: Our roster pro free, agency and you know through that a lot of connective tissue just comes to.
Speaker 1: Life, yeah you're part Of jordan's graduating class from from the Play, Callers john spytech guy who joined us.
Speaker 2: On the show and then.
Speaker 4: Lended personnel Die.
Speaker 3: Hard, yeah AND i love.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 3: James first of, all it's this must be crazy right for, you and you Know less's right hand director scouting for so many. Years overhauling that program In Los angeles goes back to back draft. CLASSES i was fortunate enough For james to be my tour guide of sorts through the scouting department last year and the processes THAT i know you would like to implement over time In. JACKSONVILLE i know you have big goals and big, dreams but where the heck do you?
Speaker 8: START i think it starts by calibrating to the current mode of operation In. Jacksonville all, Right so these guys have already teed it, up so to, speak And i'll calibrate to the way that they're operating as opposed to asking them to do that on a wider. Scale AND i think that'll allow us to just get in rhythm. Quicker it's going to be easier for one person to be agile than a larger.
Speaker 5: Group and then over time.
Speaker 8: We'll work in some specific efficiencies that will help us down the stretch here throughout the spring before ever doing more large scale.
Speaker 1: Shifts, yeah it's really interesting because you're coming into it a little late and later in the process than most general, manager even if even if it was like a month. Ago like, look you're right here at the combine when you think about tackling this. Roster obviously you must have spoken about a lot in your. Interviews where do you see the priorities on the roster of areas you want to work?
Speaker 2: On you know, WHAT i think we.
Speaker 8: Want to do our best job at every position to make it better and, better and so we're not going to look at any one position at this stage as needy more than the. Other SO i think we're going to keep an open mind in these conversations that we have this. Week see some of that surface just, organically AND i look forward to.
Speaker 3: THAT i liked what you said about it's easier for one person to be, agile and you said it in a voice That i'm very used to hearing in my. Ear that was a less, SISM i think a little. Bit but it's easier for one person to be agile than the. Collective AND i think that that's also a fact finding mission about the people you.
Speaker 4: Have, right how are you?
Speaker 3: BALANCING i, MEAN i know you have a bunch of data already from your own analysis of scouting of this last college, Class, right but how do you balance all of that data with the processes already in place and get to know people along the? Way like how do you connect with?
Speaker 4: People?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, okay so there's layers to, that, right, sure is. RIGHT i Think i'll go to your first, question and now i'll go to your second. QUESTION i think WHAT i tend to do IS i start from a place of, humility AND i think that by doing so and leveling with, people it garners you, know a mutual level.
Speaker 5: Of respect and. Trust by. DEFAULT i think.
Speaker 8: Beyond, that you, Know i'm only familiar with the way that we at THE rams had done, it and So i'm really really excited to just see a different way of moving about the. Process AND i am certain there are going to be cool things that surface throughout that THAT i had never thought of and want to carry. Forward so that's something That i'm really looking forward. To AND i just can't wait to get to know the staff on a deeper. Level AND i think a lot of these conversations that are happening right now are going to bring that into.
Speaker 2: Focus for our listeners who are are curious about your.
Speaker 1: BACKGROUND i didn't know until this this last week that you, were you, know coaching high school team In Saint.
Speaker 2: Louis that's how you first Met Les, snead that his son was on that.
Speaker 1: TEAM i happened to see his wife had a comment On, twitter uh just last, night AND i wanted to ask you about.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 1: Uh she said that you described yourself as an offensive lineman in a wide receiver's.
Speaker 2: Body can you can you just unpack that for? Us what does that mean?
Speaker 5: Mean you know? What that's that's? Interesting all?
Speaker 4: Right so she kind of blew up your spottle WAS i was, like what does that?
Speaker 2: Mean oh, Wait i'm going to talk to him.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow SO i think through, that, RIGHT i.
Speaker 8: Was my dad was a second generation high school teacher and football, coach and, so, UH i grew up in the halls of what would you, know eventually become my my high school and the first place out of college THAT i would. WORK i grew up in those locker rooms on the. Sidelines my dad raised me through the sport of football through his likeness and that was an offensive lineman and really the idea of collective effort and being bigger than any one. Individual that's where football captured my. Heart and so that's WHAT i, mean, right the idea of it's not about you as much as.
Speaker 1: It is the.
Speaker 8: Whole and so that's WHY i, say you, know more rooted in the service, oriented don't need the credit offensive line, mindset whereas you, know wide receivers are a little bit more forward.
Speaker 5: Facing they put the ball across the goal line and that's.
Speaker 3: Important you, Know, James you're gonna hate this Because i'm going to give you a. Compliment but the teaching mentality in the background as an, educator as an explainer of. THINGS i know it was a long long time, ago but those fundamentals and those core principles you carried that with you into the reshaping and the progressive evolution of the ramzone draft. Process what are those fundamentals to you leaning to a, collective what the goal, is how to achieve that goal and bring people with you in that.
Speaker 8: Explanation, yeah you, KNOW i think football is a complex system with a lot of moving.
Speaker 5: Parts so we're going to focus on some fundamental elements and execute those exceptionally. Well AND i think that helps you. Know IF i dove in a little bit just to, storytell.
Speaker 2: Yeah this is.
Speaker 4: Therapy no one's.
Speaker 3: Listening.
Speaker 2: Science, yes very in depth.
Speaker 3: QUESTIONS i used to tease, You, james Because i'd be, like you just, wait once you get the big, Job i'm finally going to get to talk to you in.
Speaker 8: PUBLISHED i appreciate you trying, to you, know turn on the, light so to. Speak but, nonetheless WHEN i was a, TEACHER i knew from a young age that that's WHAT i wanted to. Pursue i'd see my grandfather do, It i'd see my dad do.
Speaker 5: It they had.
Speaker 8: Success SO i had a road map for success and then putting my own spin on. It and so WHEN i decided to pivot only three years into that, profession after having from a young age the idea THAT i was going to embark on that for my life's, journey it was a little bit of a. Shock AND i went from being a, teacher somebody who identifies strengths and weaknesses and an individual and then.
Speaker 5: Helps that individual address those and.
Speaker 8: Grow WHEN i got into then the lens of, scouting you're still addressing or, highlighting identifying those strengths.
Speaker 5: And, weaknesses but you're not a part of the.
Speaker 8: Growth and so initially that was a void THAT i had not filled after making a, transition and over TIME i started to shape the idea of scouting around, well here's strengths and weaknesses within a, profile here's strengths and weaknesses within another, profile or within a larger collective group or a side of the ball or a, team and pairing those together is WHERE i filled that. Void so that's my way of helping others that are playing for us grow by being paired with those who highlight them.
Speaker 5: In the most you, know complementary.
Speaker 1: Way AND i LOVE i love, that AND i love the the offensive lineman mindset as, well and yet we do know some some players are more. Important then There's Trevor lawrence is obviously front and center of this for this. Organization what how do you look at like your role in trying to help him out kind of be be the Best Trevor lawrence that that we've seen so.
Speaker 8: Far, YEAH i don't think we've seen the best Of, trevor AND i really look forward to seeing him within the scheme That liam brings to. Life AND i think that the multiplicity that he offers within the, scheme the variety of really the run game and the screen, game it's going to give this team a notable edge And trevor's gonna feel the benefits of. That, now beyond, that in terms of, PERSONNEL i think interior offensive line is something that helps a quarterback out. Significantly being able to step into your throws is gonna just bring success and and really bring. Confidence and SO i think beyond, that obviously you're always going to want to give him some weapons and continue to keep that that. Deep but, yeah we look forward here down the stretch to address some of these.
Speaker 3: Things what did you guys say about the line when you were looking. For As Taylor morton would, say it sometimes too, big strong and.
Speaker 8: Tough, YEAH i would say one of the things THAT i probably carry with, me and this is at every. POSITION i probably have some version of a, slogan but it's getting the, way stay in the.
Speaker 1: Way if you can do, that you're built to be A. Jaguar it is an exciting off. Season jaguars fans deserve. It some of the most loyal fans in the entire. Business AND i think it's going to be a, fun additive off. Season the Ad Lion, cohen they add yourself and not a lot of key free agents and so and draft. Picks, yeah a lot of draft. Picks so look for The jaguars team to be a lot. Different what do you want to say there about for now you're gonna add or some Tra i'll tell.
Speaker 2: You i'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Less sneed said said that every year he'd walk off the lectern and go this many picks and they need go for? Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah if you do take anything From lestie and we can expect some, trades some wheeling and.
Speaker 2: Dealing really appreciate the, Time, James thank you guys very.
Speaker 5: Much it was a.
Speaker 1: Joy, congratulations appreciate. It really enjoyed both those. INTERVIEWS i had.
Speaker 3: The best time talking with those guys with. YOU I, okay later this, week you're gonna hear A john Spy tech story From Jason. Light that dude's kind of a. BADASS i, mean it's there's some there's some fire There Pete carroll and. HIM i think you're gonna make a pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Team vibes, Wise raiders Win. Tuesday, yeah If i'm ranking the combination OF Gm vibe With Coach vibe just in terms of kind of cool and just, like, OH I i'd like to hang out with those, guys but also Like i'm glad they're running my favorite team and they're kind of an odd, couple but they make sense.
Speaker 2: Together, yeah Spy tech and Care i'll sign me up for.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 1: SIcom i'm excited for this generation in this era Of raiders, football AND i am excited about what's new In. Jacksonville it's definitely, yeah very much feels like just a brand new era and they're attacking things a little differently and hopefully just are kind of getting a feel of what these guys are actually. Like and it's very cool that you know between you know the Play callers series and then you, Know james there was a fan of your your old The Loven PERSONNEL rams. Podcast it's just Like jordan Just s has like all these guys all around the. League they're coming up.
Speaker 3: This this totally disarmed, Me, GREG i MEAN i really was. THROUGH i almost fell out of the chair when he said he brought up the old intro to my very beloved little little, show A Loven personnel podcast that covered The rams and that he did the drop the intro drop to, it AND i almost fell out of the. CHAIR i was, like you, know how PREPARED i am for this? Stuff And aunt, Like i'm just AND i was like, TOTALLY i didn't even remember WHAT i was gonna ask. Him it was very, Nice it was. Awesome it's a nice. Thing AND i love talking to those two. Guys and as you've mentioned a million, times, yeah you'll hear some more interviews throughout the. Week so that was forty seven things we learned at The Scouting combine On. Tuesday, now not nearly as many people are speaking On. Wednesday it's in the single. Digits so what should we what should we?
Speaker 2: Guess for the?
Speaker 1: Number some news will come, out Though i'm gonna say it at. Seventeen things will learn, tomorrow how about.
Speaker 3: That So i'm gonna hit the over on that BECAUSE i know.
Speaker 1: You, okay we'll. See it'll be around seventeen to twenty. Three we'll hear some from some. Interviews we're not done here at the Scouting. Combine but it was a Great. TUESDAY i gotta, say, Man i'm gonna have to ask for a judgment calledgue football is it? Back because it kind of felt like the twenty five, Season like we're talking the season.
Speaker 2: Is almost. Here do we think it's?
Speaker 3: Back football is so pricking?
Speaker 2: Bad oh my, god it's. Over gregular. SEASON i guess is. Over football is. Back we will see If wednesday m
Speaker 11: Hm