Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Mike Armstrong, Mark's twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kill martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Up Broadway opened then Downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area at thirty eight years later. Call eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway, dot com com Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: It's our listeners, a great morning. Actually, Drew Franklin here, mchaus Bar and Grill. I'll be here from ten to noon. It's a busy, busy, busy busy morning. Today's show we're brought to you by TJ Smith, personal injury lawyer called TJ. He'll make a pay. We want to hear from you on the Clark's Pumping Show Pump. I can't talk Clark's Pumping Shop. Foon line eight five nine eight oh two two eight seven. We'll get the whiskey thief call of the day. We'll get the a vision autoglass text of the day if you send it to Amsterdam. I don't have that. But Matt's in Amsterdam with all the guys on. I'm here hosting the show. I have Jack Pilgrim, Steven Peak with me, and we're a little flustered because right as the show started we had some breaking news hit the button. Rick, Ladies and gentlemen of the Big Blue Nation. As of about five minutes ago, Jaden Quainton's, a projected top ten pick in the twenty twenty six NBA draft, has committed to your University of Kentucky Wildcats boys. How about that, Jack, You're smiling, just what everyone knows. Jack was working the phones as I was doing that intro. That's why I was a little flustered. Uh, making sure everything's good. Maybe even try to get him on the show later. But it is a this is a busy scene here at Ksbar right away, Jack Pilgrim, But we're starting off with huge news throw away the NCAA Championship. We'll get to that later. One shouting moment. We'll get to that later. Mark Pope added another player at the final second before we started the show, and he's a big one, a former commit under John Caliperry at Kentucky even considered sticking around after cal left, but he ended up at Arizona State last season for his freshman year. Suffered a torn a cl in February, but he's expected to still be back maybe on time, maybe a little bit late next season. Whatever happens with that, I think it is still an amazing get. I'm so flustered right now. Yeah, you were on the phone as I was doing my intro. That's why I was fumbling over my words.
Speaker 3: I had to hang up because I heard the intro music and was like, oh, craft were I don't want to get hot mic right now. But Mark Pope Lands's biggest fish yet, like we so much about, Like you know, he needs to can he land a high, high profile, blue chip, top five true recruit and you know some misses along the way, and you know some striking out on some high profile transfer targets, and you know that's always just kind of been lingering in the back of BBN's mind of you know, can he close on a true, legitimate talent. And Jayden Quaintans is that guy he wanted to be here the first cycle. In fact, it was funny now that I can kind of tell the story exactly one year ago today, I was the one that had to call Jayde's dad and at eleven forty five at night and say, hey, is John Cali Perry leaving for Arkansas? And he said, what are you talking about? I haven't heard anything to suggest that. So funny. Here we are exactly one year ago to the day. As we were waking up this time last year wondering what our future looked like and if Jayden was going to be a part of that. Now we know he's going to be a part of that, and it's pretty darn good.
Speaker 2: Incredible addition, let me set us back up. That was Jack. A lot of you know Jack from sources say he's hosted this show many times. It feels like a good time to have you on. I almost want to say, I knew this was gonna happen. That's what I picked you to do today. We'll get to that. Had another commitment yesterday. Of course, the college basketball season ended last night. But we also have Steven Peak here. Steven is ksr's videographer. He does some on camera stuff on ksr's YouTube channel, but a lot of time he's behind the camera when Jack and I are doing our rapid reactions. He does travel videos with Jack, goes to all the interviews, pretty much anything you've seen on ksr's YouTube channel. Steven's the one that made it happen. Steven, how's it feel to be on the radio show for the first time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, first time? Pretty special. I've been listening to this show since twenty eleven. So, I mean, this is a pretty big day for me. I'm not gonna lie. I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: Pretty unique circumstances, getting that commitment right away, right out of the gate. I mean, I think we need to have me on more often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, both, at least schedule it because yeah, certainly we're atty big days, pretty big day for Kentucky basketball.
Speaker 2: So Jack, what does this? What does this mean? All Right? So I mentioned that he had the ACL injury, suffered that in February. But you know, I'm not a doctor, but the Internet and WebMD tells me acls aren't what they were twenty years ago. You can bounce back from those a little quicker, recover a little better. I see some fans already trying to throw it aside, you know, complaining that this is a guy that coming off an injury. I mean, this is a top ten lottery pick. Come on, people, but what are we doing. We can't be happy, We just can't. Please, will you please give everyone some comfort at home that is worried about him coming off that injury and just what he can put essentially be when he gets back to full speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doctors are very optimistic that, you know. I don't think anyone is making a promise that he will be ready for day one of the college basketball season. That's the goal, that's the hope, that's the plan. But I think they just kind of acknowledge that, Hey, it's you know, ACL surgery mid March. Turnaround on that is pretty quick. But I think people are kind of losing sight of the fact that, you know, this is a big man coming off a torn ACL. Yes, he is a projected top five pick, but he also has to prove that he is a top five pick. And I think everybody around that this kid wants him to be able to prove that he is at because I think there will be NBA teams that have doubts about that. So yeah, I think there is a lot of optimism about him. Let's just let's just pen pencilhim in the early stages of the next of the next college basketball season that he will be playing for Kentucky.
Speaker 2: But the positives before he got hurt last year at Arizona State ten points a game, eight rebounds, two point six blocks. When he committed to Kentucky, you know, he seemed to really love Lexington. He was even introduced at Rupparina for a game. They brought him out at halftime, he gave us a big wave. Then, of course the coaching change happens, he reopens his recruitment and ends up at Arizona State. I think he did well for himself making that commitment there, heading out that direction. I think they paid him pretty well. But now heading back to be a cat in the word around him and you've been talking to the family. He seems to really like Pope's system and he might even gotten him at a discount just because he really likes the fit here and wants to be a part of Big Blue Nation again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that was a big part of it, is just watching what Amari Williams did this this past season and just knowing like, hey, if this kid from Drexel can come in and do what he did, and just elevate his you know, pro stock. Whether he's drafted or not, he has carved out a legitimate pro career because of how he played in Mark Pope's system. And they saw that and just like, man, imagine a legitimate pro playing in that system, in that same role, bringing the ball up the floor, making decisions, you know, having just the flexibility to kind of be the straw that stirs a drink in a you know, the biggest brand in college basketball that was really really a peeling. I think they understand that. They I think they realize what they were missing going to Arizona State, kind of being out of side, out of out of mind, where the highlights are unbelievable, the numbers were unbelievable, blocks, rebound, steals. I mean, he's kind of one of just those do it all threats, but he's kind of, you know, lost the national spotlight. I think they they loved what that was as a recruit, and I think they wanted to get that back. And what is absolutely his final season of college basketball.
Speaker 2: So city critics, you know, saying Pope can't get a big time talent. I mean, let's say this goes best case scenario. He has a good year ESPN dot Com right now hasn't projected fifth overall to the Rafters, Rafters, Raptors. Maybe we'll put him in the raptord. Let's do both Rafters and Raptors. But that's one thing another box. Pope needed to check that he can go out and get a lottery pick. You know, Caleb Wilson, you're in the conversation, missed that not looking good for Nate. Amen to the guys that are kind of projected in that in that uh that area, But I mean, what could this be for Pope if it really pans out that way. It's the it's the the proof of product.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a it's an ability to say, hey, we know he can do it with you know, good college basketball players. He can do it with portal talent, But what can he do with a legitimate superstar. What does it look like when Mark Pope can you know, get especially a superstar. It's kind of just a piece of clay that he can kind of mold and turn into this. I mean, he's a he's seventeen years old and already put up historic numbers, especially on the defensive end. As an all defensive team. Remember in his debut season, it airs on a state, so it's it's one of those deals where if this works out, this is a you know, high risk, high reward, but absolutely lucrative.
Speaker 2: Long term award from Art Pope on the recruiting drip.
Speaker 4: I think that's why it's like having the season they had this year was massive because it allows you to get a guy like jayde I mean, just to win the games that they're able to win.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 4: You saw Mariy Williams growth throughout the season, and I mean, I'm excited to see what Pope's gonna be able to do with Jane Quinn's because the raw talent is there.
Speaker 2: Heck yeah. And then Jack, you were kind of reporting, not kind of you were reporting this was ahead last night on kas board. Another reason to get on KS board KSR plus, but you were following it very closely. And is Auburn the official second place finisher? It sounded like he was down in Kentucky Auburn, which as someone who's petty, that just feels good to be too. Given Bruce Pearl and el Bruce is getting pretty desperate down there at Auburn. I worried he might overpay and we'd have to see quaintans in the conference. That would have been the worst him having a big, huge season and doing it for Auburn. But it sounds like, you know, Pope got one over on Bruce here and when in this recruitment, it.
Speaker 3: Really does feel like his first high school recruitment where Kentucky kind of solidified itself as the favorite, you know, the likely landing spot down the stretch. Then Missouri kind of came in last second, just kind of made them just think one extra second about it. And I think that was where Auburn was where I was told that he was actually ready to commit two nights ago. And like those early conversations went really really well with Mark Pope. They kind of had a not a great relationship after, you know, when Mark Pope first got the job. I think there was some you know, Mark Pope not wanting to get some of Col's leftovers and kind of wanting to just start fresh with his own players. And I think they kind of gave him grief for that to start the process and being like, hey, you didn't want us last time, but now, oh now you want us, And where the you know, we were one of your most important recruits. So I think that relationship kind of started off. They had some history together and they were able to very quickly fix that and they I think it was one of those deals where Bruce Pearl made the phone call and was just trying to see where things stood with Kentucky as the heavy favorite, kind of even things up, and then Mark Pope jumped back up and ended in a masterful job closing this one.
Speaker 2: So edit, Bruce put that in your barbecue Edit Kentucky naysayer's huge get for the Cats. How does this fit with the you know, Brandon Garrison Marino. You know, we thought they'd go shooter in this next commitment, not really a shooter, but a generational talent you're not turning down. But how would that kind of shake up with the pieces they already had there.
Speaker 3: It's now the ball is in Brandon's court to decide, Hey, do you want to still be a part of this. There's a fit they still want him. It's definitely not like a sign that you know we're gonna get some type of portal announcement from Garrison. I think it's one of those deals where you know he has to decide Mark Pope. It's in his best interest to build the most talented national title contending roster that he can. And I think, you know, if whatever the remaining Dominoes that fall after that, so be it.
Speaker 2: But it's my my.
Speaker 3: Read on it is that it is joining the joining forces with the guys they have the all five of the guys they plan on bringing back right now, that it's an addition, not a replacement.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned Domino's falling. I thought we'd be talking about a different Domino because he wasn't the only commitment we've added since last time I was here talking to you on KSR. Also took Mohammed du Bate from Alabama yesterday, another forward, similar in how he brings defense and some rebounding, but a little bit shorter than quaintance. How will he fit into this equation if.
Speaker 3: You can't beat him, take him. I think that was Mark Pope's a he was tired of. We saw this actually funny. We bring up Brandon Garrison, like Brandon Garrison torched BYU and in Mark Pope's first year in the Big twelve, and he said, I'm not having any of that. I'm going to have him be a part of what we're doing. A very similar situation where three times three laws us and he always always kind of the thorn in Kentucky side. And all three of those losses, the second one, even though he only scored four points, held Otega away to one for nine, shooting his first game in single figures as a Wildcat. So just to do it all defensive threat, a guy that you just kind of plug in and say, hey, we need a big stop, we need a you know, big finishing transition, We need somebody to come, you know, pull down a tough rebound. He's just kind of how how many times this past season did we say where's the physicality?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: Why is nobody there for the offensive rebound? Like we're missing something, who's diving for the loose balls? That is modiabatte. That's exactly what this program needed. And yeah, he feels a very clear need for for Mark Pope that that was very clearly missing from last ye's roster.
Speaker 2: And we have a lot more to say about him. You know, he was gonna be the headliner. So acquaintance drops at the last second before we started the show. We'll take a break and talk more about that in the roster breakdown. Also, we're gonna be joined by Kentucky women's basketball's Tianni Key. She's gonna drop in before she heads to class. We've been talking a lot about the men's team, but we know ever really closed the book on the women's season. It's nice to her to stop by. She had a great breakout year with the Cats and she'll be back next year, so we'll talk to her about what's going on over there and her excitement for next season. Phoenix Stevens is here. He'll also jump in on the women's basketball discussion. But we got the dia Bonte, the Quainton's commitments, Kentucky's roster's shaking out, more portal targets. There was an NCAA champion last night. Kentucky was on one shining moment. It's a busy, busy morning here on KSR. Andrew Franklin filling in for Matt Jones, filling in for Ryan Lemon, filling in for Shannon the Dude, filling in for Mario Maitland. Everybody's gone, but I'm happy to have Jack Pilgrim and Steven Peak here. They made the trip to join me at KAOS Bar and We're gonna talk a lot of basketball today, a whole lot of basketball. We want to hear from you if you have any questions again on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line. That's eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. We'd love to hear from you. I left a lot of people on hold yesterday as Corey Price was dropping knowledge. But we'll run through the phone lines today. Is there's some there's some excitement as the roster is really shaking up, and there's even been some those way too early rankings that look good for Kentucky if you trust those opinions. But for right now, we'll take a quick break and we'll be right back. Welcome back to KSR. Drew Franklin here with Jack Pilgrim, Steven Peak. We are living the office meme where he's what is he? Oh my god, it's happening. We're just running around with our hands in the air as this place is on fire with news and excitement as Jaden and Quaintan's made the commitment. Uh, we're still efforting, getting Jayden on the phone later. We're hopeful, but it wasn't affirm Yes, Jack, you you you spoke to to his dad. I guess is it We're looking decent there top of the hour, on top of the hour, Well, just you know, pencil it in understandably. So he's a busy man this morning, even even even probably as good for you.
Speaker 3: He's going to be a rehab in an hour for fans that are fans that are wanting to know how how is he doing it?
Speaker 2: On schedule?
Speaker 3: Within a word, in an hour from now, he will be at the doctor getting get a check up.
Speaker 2: So and the last thing we want to do is in an interrupt rehab because the KSR haters will say we're trying to hurt Kentucky basketball by keeping him from fixing his knee.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Still a great commit, but we got to keep giving. Do you bought to his Flowers six foot seven, two hundred and fifteen pounds forward from Alabama with two years left. Big defense guy, big rebounding guy, big toughness guy, a lot of what UK lacked. Unfortunately, we remember him well for shutting down otega Oway, which at the time we hated. That game in Tuscaloosa. He helped hold O Way to two points the first game of the season when Oway didn't have double digits. Wasn't a big fan of him then, but Jack now it's a piece, just another good piece that Pope needed and more excitement around the roster.
Speaker 3: Like I remember just this time last year talking about Lamont Butler when everybody's like, oh, well, look at his stats. He only averaged nine points a game and he shot sixty percent from the free throw line.
Speaker 2: Of how is that a guy? It's like, he just wins.
Speaker 3: Like we don't need to get into the you know, counting stats and looking at box scores and going, oh, well, he only had this. He wins games. He's He's a tough, gritty, hard nosed, physical guy that every team in college basketball needs. There's a reason why Alabama fans are heartbroken to see him leave like that. That was a fan favorite, a guy that they really kind of, you know, wanted to be a long term piece, a core piece under Natodes. He wanted an expanded role. He wanted to be a part of something bigger, and you'd be a greater part of that. So I think it's a great fit for Kentucky. And you know, I always gauge the opposing fan base if they're celebrating his departure, you go, I don't know if I love that their heartbroken that he's a Kentucky wild Cat, and for that I'm very happy.
Speaker 2: And he kind of split his time at the three and four there they were crowded there at forward. Grant Nelson was a big GIF for them. He had a big year. How do you see him fitting into the rotation at Kentucky now, especially d Quaintance who'll also be playing a little four and five.
Speaker 3: He's just kind of a plug and play, do it all kind of guy. If you need him at the three, you know, spot minutes of the three, if you need him at the four, you know, he's kind of a you know, plays bigger than his body, and I you know, could do some small ball five stuff and just throw him in and just see what happens. I did envision him playing, you know, twenty three twenty and I think that's the beauty of Mark Pope's system, where whether he's starting or coming off the bench, he's gonna play twenty to twenty five minutes a game and in a pretty expanded role. So I don't know if we want to pencil him in for any specific starting role, but you know, probably starting at the four. But I don't think that's necessarily locked him, but more so, the role that he's gonna plays is pretty.
Speaker 2: It's the toughness they needed. There are many times last season where there'd be a loose ball and we're yelling someone jump on that or a rebound, go get that. He's that type of guy. And Steven he's another lefty. Here we go. I mean, we're up to four lefties. We are loaded with lefties on this team. You know.
Speaker 4: I love talking with with our Brandon Ramsey, another KSR guy, who says that that that's worth like a couple of points because the defender will typically just jump the right hand because that's how they're used to. Everybody else is right handed, so that sounds like we're getting a lot of points.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, it has to be the most left handed team in Kentucky basketball history.
Speaker 3: We talked about it in on our Rapid Reaction. I think the only team that compares is the one with James Young, Julius Randall, that Jared Poulsen, Jared Beard Polson, and who was the one with Sam alone? I think Sam left throwing him in the max yet. But that's the only team that has been comparable to this lefty business.
Speaker 4: You know, you look at the roster right now, it looks really good. I think there's there's like one maybe one piece, like a good or like a coach, because somebody to replace Kobe Brea Jack. How do you feel about Yates and where things stand with that?
Speaker 3: I have I have heard the Washington noise. I know that that's kind of looming in the back of BBN's mind. But like I, for the last twenty four hours or so, there's a lot of private Kentucky buzz that has me feeling really good.
Speaker 2: I it's it's all about relationships.
Speaker 3: It's all about you know, years back, you know, talk conversations and being able to as Hey, remember when I first recruited you out of high school. That's where Alvin Brooks comes in. That's where Michael MacLean comes into, local Texas guys that are doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that one that. Yes, I know that there's some you know, public intrigue with the whole Quincy pondexter assistant coach. You know, is he going to go back to Washington and would Wesley Yates follow through all of that very public noise. There's a lot of private momentum for the Kentucky Wildcats, and that would wrap up, in my opinion, a national championship contending roster.
Speaker 2: Wow. That man. We'll spend a lot of the show breaking down the roster further and Jack's national championship pick. But our special guest Tianni Key just walked in. She has to get to class in a little bit, So I'm gonna bring on Phoenix Stevens, who covers Kentucky women's basketball for the rest of this covers Kentucky basketball, and I'm bringing on for the rest of the segment before we interview Tianni and let her get to class. I know it's weird to just move from this big excitement of the roster over to the women's sport, but they had a big year too, Steven, and you're right in the middle of it as our beat reporter. How did it fill to cover a team that you know, took over a twelve and twenty program and goes and wins twenty three games and has the year that they did well.
Speaker 6: I gotta say, Steven here of viw Oogford does a great job. But my name is Phoenix Fear. I think that every time Phoenix Steven Stevens R.
Speaker 2: Think if y'all can't tell him a little flustered by all the chaos that's been going on, Phoenix Stevens, Where'd I say, Stephen? Phoenix just said Steve.
Speaker 6: But you never know when the dominoes are gonna fall, so off call I was ready to tell of the Phoenix, but uh, yeah, it's been. It was a great year for Kentucky women's basketball, and you know, obviously a lot of things happened, you know, throughout the season. Yeah, you had some injuries before the season. You know, you never know really how things are gonna go for the team, especially with two great players like that being hurt. You know, how are they gonna make the make the mold fit. But they had a great year and so far, Transford Portal's doing really good. Got a really good commitment from Joseph Gilvin, a nice player there. But things are looking good, looking positive, should be on the upper trend.
Speaker 2: It might be awkward because she's sitting right in front of us, but I noticed yesterday you wrote a story about her, Tianni Key, not even knowing that she was gonna be on the guest on the show. Today, So it just kind of summarized that and then we'll of course get to talk to her in just a minute minute, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, Like you said, I had no idea this was all happening today. But yeah, Tianni, Uh you know I wrote that yesterday. I wrote yesterday she had a really good junior year and to me, you know, maybe she'll maybe she'll say otherwise. I thought it was kind of refreshing to watch because her first two years North Carolina, you know, there's injury, just things going on. And finally, you know, in a fresh start at Kentucky was able to really get going, had this really great junior year. But I think next year, her senior year, Drew it could be a really big jump for her, you know, time for her to take the next step, maybe be an all SEC type player.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kentucky can take a big next step too. I mean, you lose George A. Moore and Dja Lawrence, two special players at guard, but still some returning pieces and that you witness at all, you were in all the games. That excitement was higher around Memorial Historic Memorial this season, right, historic Memorial call it seems what they want to call it now. But yeah, the excitement is great, and of course you have to you have to replace Georgia or it's hard to even say replace Georgia. I mean, two time All American did the you know, absolutely incredible here in your lone season at Kentucky. But yeah, you try to replace Georgia Amore and Dejah Lawrence and some of the players that hit the portal. But you know, you know, Josie Gilvin's a good start.
Speaker 6: You have a lot of more more commitments, you know, potentially lining up some really good players that they've contacted. You know, it's kind of like the men's side, you don't know to like they contact how strong are they actually in the mix there, But a lot of positive steam for the women's program and things should be moving forward.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Phoenix, I'm gonna stop calling you. Steven Sitting next to Steven is gonna mess with me all day. But I like your McLean County hat, right, Yeah, Western can shout out to mc clane County. Well, we're gonna take a break here, bring Tianni in so we can talk to her for a few minutes before she heads to class. You know, they're student athletes. They got to get to class and then we're gonna get right back to the excitement of the men's basketball roster. Still more portal movement, still shopping around. Jack still thinks we're gonna win the national championships. So uh, Drew here with Jack, Steven, Phoenix, and soon to be tianni Key as we fill in for the KSR guys. They're all on vacation. Matt's gone, Ryan's gone, Shannon's gone, Mario's gone, but we're still having a lot of fun here on KSR. We'll get to the phone lines as well, the Clark's pomp Chop phone line two eight to oh two two eight seven. Right now, we'll take a quick break and we'll be right back with tianni Key. I am not Matt Jones. I am Drew Franklin filling in for Matt Jones with my good friend Jack Pilgrim, Steven Peak, and Phoenix Stevens and we are now happy to be joined by our special guests. She is one of the breakout stars of Kentucky women's basketball's breakout season. She averaged eleven point four points, eight point three rebounds, and one point seven blocks per game. She is tianni Key and she is joining us now. Tiani, welcome to KSR.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You know, I know the goal was still to be playing basketball last season, but you still had a great first year at Kentucky and Kenny Brooks first season. How did it feel to be a part of that big turnaround in Lexington that brought so much excitement to Historic Memorial?
Speaker 5: It was surreal, like it was huge just because what we were able to accomplish was such a quick turnaround. Knowing each other for less than a year. It was a super special year for us. I think it was a great foundation for what's going to keep building here in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Your career got off to a little bit slower start. You had the ACL injury before your freshman year at North Carolina, had a couple of years coming back, but from a distance, it felt like a big breakout year for you with twelve double doubles. Did you feel like you really found your confidence at Kentucky and really turned things on this last season? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. It was obviously the best year yet. I think especially off the court too, Everything was just great. Just being able to be given the opportunity to get out there and just showcase my abilities and be with the coaching staff and help everyone on the team, and then also with the coaching staff, like with the developmental piece.
Speaker 7: That was it was huge this summer. This past summer as well.
Speaker 2: Kentucky lacked some height for many years till brook Scott here. But then you know you. Clara strac Amelia called you the triplets, said you are like interchangeable inside on where you rebound block shots, even said you all had a special bond. Was there a special bond between you all that kind of added to some competitiveness and practice. What was it like playing that role?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it was, No, it was huge, It was huge.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It made everything a lot more fun, especially like in practice, like you said, going at each other just you know, iron sharp as iron, so just learning from each other and and then going at each other was it was huge. Even off the court, it was really special too. We all got along pretty.
Speaker 6: Well to any I thought it was fitting you came on today because, like Drew said about that article busy yesterday, and I was just curious because you know, after, you know, after the season. I know, coaches a lot of times like the half converse sessons of players. You know, you know what I want to see from you next year. Has there been that conversation with coach Books yet? And if so, you know, what are the kind of things he wants to save from me in your senior season.
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, We've had that conversation the day after the game our last game. Basically it was just you know, just focusing on sharpening everything that. Yeah, there was a growth this year.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a good season, but there's so much more that we need to work on, so much more they need to get better. So I think just focusing on like sharpening them all around skill set on the court, and then just strength purposes, getting a little put it in a little pounds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, one of my favorite status is as a team, you all led the country in blocks, but you and Clara Strack average four point one blocks just between the two of you per game, and that was more than three hundred Division one basketball teams. Do you get into rhythm, blocking shots and win? Our opponents gonna stop bringing this week stuff inside Listen.
Speaker 7: I don't think they'll stop.
Speaker 5: They obviously haven't learned, but I think it was huge just because, like you said earlier, we're all interchangeable, so like if one of us is out on the perimeter or something like that, you know, when somebody's got your back, you know, it just allows us to play more connected, more together, and be more aggressive defensively.
Speaker 7: So I think it was it was huge. It was a big part of us and.
Speaker 2: You were ranked seventh in the SEC eight point one rebounds per game with rebound? Is that more effort technique? You know, walk us through the strategy of how you're able to rebound so well with that prows.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit of both. I'm telling you, they you gotta you gotta work for them for sure. That nothing comes easy. Obviously there's a lot of good rebounders in the secs. So I think it's just it's a lot of positioning and then mostly effort, really like just going to get it and put it, get in your hands on it and being strong with it because there's a lot of big battling down there for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what feels better blocking a shot or getting an offensive rebound to keep the possession alive?
Speaker 7: Oh that's a good question. That's a tough one. I'd say.
Speaker 5: There's there's nothing like a block and a shot, though, you know, it really gets everybody going, the whole team really.
Speaker 6: Now, Towny Drew and I we're both big Tennessee haters, you know big. Oh yes, we're massive, massive Tennessee haters. Now, I want to preface this by saying, your sister to Mari played at Tennessee. I just want to ask when you all beat them by a million earlier this season? You know, was there was there any friendly banter between the two of you or you know what, you know, what's her sulking and the sadness good enough for you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: I was pretty humble about it. I was. I was pretty nice, but no, it was. It was.
Speaker 5: It was fun seeing seeing her reaction though, just I mean that game was fun too.
Speaker 7: Just it was.
Speaker 5: It was funny because we were the week before trying to decide, Like we were kept talking to her like what are you wearing? Where are you sitting? And she didn't know, and I was like, girl, just put on blue, like come on it. She had a hat that was blue and orange. So a little bit but still the wind was the wind was good enough for me for sure.
Speaker 2: Tianni.
Speaker 3: We're talking about rivals, just the Louisville rivalry means so much to this area being a part of that, and you know just how exciting that one was. What was that experience like for you?
Speaker 7: Oh, it was huge. It was really fun.
Speaker 5: I think that was like our first big, big matchup really, so just seeing all of us come together in like a hard fog game like that, it was. It was a huge push her momentum for our season.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 7: It was amazing. The rivalry is pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was one of your best games of the season. Seventeen points, non rebounds. When you have a big game like that, how much better does it feel knowing it's against a rival team.
Speaker 7: No, it was huge.
Speaker 5: It was definitely a good start to the rival me and I'm excited for the next one.
Speaker 6: Now Drew's actually you know, Drew met. They've had Georgia Aymore on this show multiple times. Just curious what's it like playing with her, you know, in her one season, Lexington, I'm in great talent, obviously great on the show. What was it like being around Georgia Aymore?
Speaker 5: She's unreal, like one of a kind, truly, like a generational talent person.
Speaker 7: She's amazing.
Speaker 5: So it was honestly so grateful, such a blessing, to be around her, just even off the court, learning from her on the court, her work ethic, like, she's a phenomenal person.
Speaker 7: So it was it was super.
Speaker 2: The two times we had here, sitting up here with us, she was really funny, Like I think she was gonna take all of our jobs. I know she's obviously very serious and competitive to get to where she is, But what is she like behind the scenes? Is she is she cutting up a little bit?
Speaker 5: Oh? Absolutely, George is always cracking jokes. She's the funniest people I've ever met. She's it's got like a like a slick little banter tour. So it's it's fun. She's hilarious.
Speaker 2: What's one of your favorite off the court memories with your teammates this this season, whether just be out having fun or Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when we when we first got here, like in the summer, there wasn't much to do, so we all decided to go to karaoke. This was like the one, the one big thing we'd done together.
Speaker 7: It was it was hilarious. We everybody was laughing.
Speaker 5: It was a great time, and we are horrible singers, so it was it made it even better to a karaoke song. Oh, I think I did. Me and a Milia we did one together. We it was a sexy red song.
Speaker 2: So you didn't do solo performances. You got up there with your with your teammates.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and it made it so much better because we were like going off each other.
Speaker 2: Was great. Phoenix mentioned your sister Tennessee Ball, which we'll live with that. But what kind of impact did she have on your career and getting you to this point being a little bit older than you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, she was huge, Like you know, she really paved the way, just like just showing me like what it takes to get there and like you know, be successful at such a high level.
Speaker 7: It was. She was a huge piece.
Speaker 6: Now, Tiana, we spend a lot of time talking about coach Brooks, and you know, rightfully, so he's done a great job here, But I think the assistants deserve a little bit of love to coach Josh Peterson. I know he works with you directly. What's it been like working with him kind of day in and day out?
Speaker 7: Amazing?
Speaker 5: He brings such a like a refreshing energy and just always reminding reminding me that like you know, be like have gratitude and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 7: So he's he's a great, great person.
Speaker 5: It's been such a great year working with him and learning from him, and just every day has been really really good.
Speaker 2: We mentioned Georgia her and Djel Lawrence. You're losing two great leaders there and you were a big role, had a big role last year, but you see yourself stepping into more of a leadership role to kind of help fill those shoes.
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely, just being like now, like you said in my senior year, I think it'll be a huge piece just being able to lead and you know, gott having a year under my belt under the coaching staff, I think it'll be huge for all the people that we bring in freshmen included.
Speaker 2: What's something you want to check off your your bucket list before your college career? In still got some time left, but what's what's the main goal?
Speaker 7: I want to get a ring?
Speaker 5: For sure, it would be SEC national title both. I think that that'll be a huge piece. That's definitely a goal.
Speaker 2: What do you think you and maybe the team will need to do to kind of take that next step. You already took a huge step for the program in your first year here with Kenny Brooks first year, but what do you think needs to happen to go next, Maybe something you're working on in particularly, or any pieces you need to add.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think definitely just firing on all cylinders. Just being more consistent, I think is something that I'm definitely focusing on, just you know, all the little things. I think some of those games we lost, the little things are what separated them and us. So I think that'll be a huge focus this year, especially as we bring in a lot of new faces.
Speaker 2: What class are we keeping you from right now? I noticed you said we could take our time.
Speaker 5: It's a sponsorships class. A sales and sponsorhip class. Yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Maybe we've learned a few and I al things.
Speaker 7: Is there right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, we appreciate you joining us today. It's been great to talk to you. It's fun watching you last season. Love having you as a cat, got you out of North Carolina where you need to be here, kept you away from Tennessee, where your sister went. It's been a pleasure watching you through one year at Kentucky and can't wait to see what you have next. And we appreciate you being on with us today. Thanks a lot. All right, guys, we'll take a quick break here or no, we got do we need a break? We got a call Rick, what's going on? We've got all we can take a break. Let's go and take a quick break. We got to reset. I think Jack has locked in maybe more acquaintance news, so he's working the phone here. We'll keep Phoenix on for a few more minutes. But thanks again. It's to Yanni Key. We'll be right back after this quick break. Welcome back to a chaotic edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Drew Franklin here filling in for the whole crew. Just had Tianni Key on the show. We're gonna get back to the men's team's roster, updates, portal shopping. We still haven't even mentioned the National Championship game last night. I thought i'd lead with that, but we've had a lot going on before we keep going. Let me tell you about UK Federal Credit Union the segments brought to you by them. UKFCU want you to reach your savings goals twenty twenty five, Open a high yield savings account, earn as high as four percent apy on your savings. Upgrade your piggy bank in twenty twenty five by earning almost ten times the national average savings rate. Net yourself bigger savings this basketball season and earn up to four percent from the Official Credit Union of the University of Kentucky. Visit UKFCU dot org or visit one of your seven local branches to open a high Yield savings account. To date, apy annual percentage yield minimum one thousand. To open a high Yield savings account, membership eligibility required federally insured by NCUA. Before we get Phoenix out of here, what'd you think of that Tiani Key interview? Like I said, you wrote a story about her yesterday and then who you are talking to her on the show?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tiani's always She's always been great on the mic in front of the camera. I remember we didn't like kind of I think it was when trying to thank heading into the Liberty Game, the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: We did like locker room interviews with them. She was great.
Speaker 6: She was awesome, So no surprise having te on on the radio. She does a great job with the interview there. Really like how she you know, was like tomorrow you're wearing blue gushdarn it. You know, I don't care if he went to Tennessee, were in blue.
Speaker 2: I like that. It's got to be a fun rivalry for those two. I'm glad she she uh picked the right side in that Leah. Of course, our hills we don't really like them either. But you no North Carolina native. She was all American in high school. I was a big get. Kentucky got her and then she followed through last season, had a great year and I think there's still a lot more ahead. It was fun to hear from her. Jack, where are we were still efforting the phone lines on our on our boy Jayden Uh eleven am? Is it confirmed? Jadan Quaints will be on at the top of the hour. Look at look at us just getting it done. You know, Matt Ryan Shannon. They're gonna come back and not have a job. I'm worried about it. That's a goal. I mean the moment we took over the mics, the portal, we started getting some movement with the roster. Last week it was all speculation and the sky's falling. Now it's all coming together. We'll way up to twelve eleven today. Twelve pieces, like I mean all pieces. Think of where we were last week and the panic and just the oh my sky is falling. Mark Pope can't close.
Speaker 3: Like the roster's done, like you add one more piece and it's like, okay, let's roll the balls out. Now we have months to kill with talking points. Now we're like okay, well now now what.
Speaker 4: So expectations now have have risen dramatically. I mean, I feel like this year there was a lot of he had only a few weeks to put together a team. There's a lot of uh, there's injuries or stuff like that. And this year, for like, expectations are going right back to where Kentucky's got to get a one seed.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: We haven't had a one seatsin is twenty fifteen. We have to get one of those top four seeds.
Speaker 2: It has to happen.
Speaker 4: If it doesn't happen next year, like, it's got to happen soon because that's that's the longest drought in school history by like four years.
Speaker 2: I gotta bring the mood down.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, like this, this team has to we have to get back to that. You look at who wins national championships. It's since like twenty ten, it's been all one seeds or Yukon or Villanova won the buzzer. So you if you're gonna the goal at Kentucky is to win the national title. That is the goal, right, I mean it's not like the expectation every year, but it is the goal.
Speaker 2: This is a good year to prove that one seeds can make it far with all of them in the final four.
Speaker 4: Right, right, And that's happened with one another well twice two thousand and eight, I think. But yeah, but if you are a one seed, you are there's a like forty percent chance of getting to the final four, the highest and of all the other seeds obviously, but this is the kind of roster jack when you say that that could absolutely do that.
Speaker 3: They they a lot of the flaws that last year's team did, like a lot they were masked, masked with good coaching and you know, shot making and kind of just raw skill allowed for the you know, the floor to be a lot higher than maybe it probably should have been. But with the pieces they have added, you can say truly that the ceiling has been elevated as well. Where Like you, obviously we're Kentucky fans, we wanted a dream big and say this is you know, Kentucky goes to the Final four every single year and all that. But when Pope built last year's roster, you went into it saying, hey, a Sweet sixteen would be a really awesome year for this just to get the monkey off our back with the first weekend and all that stuff. There's a lot that just kind of went into just getting some of the old demons out more than anything. But if you look at this roster, assuming you can added somebody like Wesley Yates to fill that you know, sharpshooting role, replacing Kobe Brea, like, you can look at this roster saying there's no reason why this team can't go to a Final four, And I think that's what Kentucky fans need.
Speaker 2: Rick, we better get to some phone calls. I've left them on hold for a while, which I promised I wouldn't do, but it's been very noosy and we had Tianni key. So let's go to the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line. Who's up first? Okay, got Rusty up first? Rusty, thanks for waiting.
Speaker 8: What's up, hey, Drew, Jack Stephen? Hey got a question? So last year, you know, we kind of had the same situation without Jaden obviously where we're all very positive, but what ended up being is the hard games were won by defense. Gonzaga do things like that. So Jack, I guess this is for you. What is our main focus with the current roster? If nobody changes, we don't get anybody else, like who is our defensive guy? Who's our Lamont Butler on this team? So I'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: Thanks, we appreciate the call. It's a great question.
Speaker 3: Jaden Quaint's had one of the best block rates, a historic block rate for his age. It's seventeen years old, playing rookie college basketball, younger than you know, who's the youngest player in college basketball this past season and put up historic block rates. So, you know, we talked a lot about, you know, Amari Williams being the three time CAA Defensive Player of the Year, but still kind of wondered why he wasn't the shot blocking presence he necessarily could have been with the tools, what his tools suggested he could have been. That's what Jadan Quaints is, so you look for him to anchor that obviously modi bat that's exactly what he brings to the table. I mean, if you you're wondering where the defense comes from. Let's go to the guy that stopped you know, one of the all time streaks for Kentucky basketball with double digit scoring in Otega oh Way, he was the guy that ended that.
Speaker 2: So those two just the.
Speaker 3: Last forty eight hours for Kentucky basketball, I'd say that those uh, that's where that's where you look for defense.
Speaker 2: And obviously some of the other guys have tools.
Speaker 3: Otaga is a good defender and if you can get him back, So yeah, there's definitely a lot of defensive upside with the.
Speaker 2: Right Mormon mamba. Oh Mormon Williams too, I mean Mormon mamba. Colin Chandler showed some defense even before he really broke out offensively earlier in the season. He had he was pretty hands. He had a lot of steals. Uh, played a big role in the hate Stanate out loud. The Arkansas game didn't go well, but in that second half he should helped shut down John L. Davis.
Speaker 4: That's the one player I'm really looking forward to. I think we are kind of sleeping on what he's going to be able to bring next year. You saw him kind of get a little more comfortable with his game there late in the season and started to have some confidence that. I mean, you know, we don't have a whole lot of high it's from that Tennessee game, but that was a big three hit at the at the end of the half, and he hit some big shots against Missouri also. I mean, like he's somebody that I really think is going to contribute a lot next year. He's gonna be a twenty two year old sophomore, twenty one year old sophomore, whatever, whatever.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be. I mean, he'll be married, he'll be married. I mean he's settling down, you know, twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: Rick. Let's get one more in before the break. Okay, we have Adrian up next. Adrian, thanks for calling in. What's up, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 9: How are you all doing.
Speaker 2: We are excellent. Thanks for asking.
Speaker 9: I guess the question is you can all chip in, But I guess this question is more for Jack. Are we still in the running for Native Mint? And what about the kid from Robert Morris that's from Spain that we were kind of looking at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, great questions. I would I would probably put, you know, put that on hold. I do not think that, you know, I think Nata ment. I think that ship has sailed and I think this is this Jaden Quainton's edition is kind of the writing on the wall there.
Speaker 2: But you know, we'll see.
Speaker 3: With Olivarro, obviously, I think him kind of putting his recruitment on hold. And you know, if if you were to get a surprise decommitment or enter the transfer portal with a Brandon Garrison or something, I think that's something they would reevaluate. But until then, I think the guys they have right now in the front court of the guys, they're very comfortable with going into next season.
Speaker 2: I was pretty excited about the Big Spaniards. He still in Spain.
Speaker 3: Did he come back if we heard? If he's not, I have not, I have not heard. I think they thought he was coming back and did not come back yesterday. But you know, I we're pretty excited.
Speaker 2: Board. We got to introduce him at reparating again. I love that moment when he when he popped in and gave everybody a big wave. Let's run him back next season, but we'll be running it back in the second hour. Drew Franklin, Jack Pilgrim, Steven Peak, Thanks to Phoenix Stevens and tianni Key for joining us talk a little women's basketball in the middle of all this. We also want to hear from you on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line eight five nine two eight zero two two eight seven. We're having lots of fun on a Newsy Day. We'll talk about the championship when we get back. This is ks R.