Speaker 1: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston bringing you stories of capitalism. This week, we go to the waters off of Mexico to see the role private equity is playing in getting you that high end blue fin tuna for your favorite sashimi. And we hear from Anna Botina Santander about prospects for growth in the US and Europe and how the crisis in Ukraine may serve as a wake up call for the EU to make the financial reforms it has needed for years. But we start with the big story for global Wall Street this week, the tale of Trump tariffs and what they may do to the US economy. For his views on tariffs and the economy, we welcome back our very special contributor, Larry Summers of Harvard.
Speaker 2: We will charge them approximately half of what they are and happened to, so the tariffs will be not a full reciprocal I could have done that, yes, but it would have been tough for a lot of countries who didn't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Will these increased costs be passed along the consumer? I know you've taken a position on that. The Secuar and Treasury current Secuary and Treasury Scott Besson has questioned exactly why they would be passed on.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to get in a back and forth with Professor Summers, And you know, maybe Professor Summers should let the world know who his client lift is and why he's talking about things like this, because he does have professional clients away from Harvard. But you know, I would also add that I have seven years of empirical data and which showed that the China terrifts were not passed on to the American people.
Speaker 1: What's your response.
Speaker 4: He's tried to call me out like I've got some kind of importer clients who's paying me.
Speaker 5: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Maybe we ought to pay some attention to the various financial affiliations of all the people in the Trump administration involved with Crypto.
Speaker 5: On the marriage, we've got a clear test.
Speaker 4: They put a tariff on steel, and the price of stealing the United States is up thirty percent since inauguration day. We got many economists at the Peterson Institute. There's a different study in the American Economic Review that looked at the effects of President Trump's tariffs in his first administration.
Speaker 5: Those are much smaller.
Speaker 4: Tariffs than are being discussed and put in place today. But the evidence looks like it's pretty close to dollar for dollar in terms of increased prices that consumers face. And the economic logic is, if you put a dime tax on a hot drug, the guys selling the hot rug's going to sell it for ten cents more. If he could have squeezed to suppliers, he would have already squeezed his suppliers. Putting that ten cents on doesn't make it any easier. So I don't understand the argument, and I'm not alone among serious economists in not being able to understand the argument that this will be absorbed.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of anticipation built up to this so called Liberation Day this week, But by all accounts, this is not the end of the process. This is in the middle of the beginning of the precess, which will lead to a lot more negotiation, bilateral negotiation. What about the cost of uncertainty itself in this process of President Trump trying to use tariffs to extract things out of country.
Speaker 5: I see two things about that. First, the White House can't have it both ways.
Speaker 4: Either of these taxes are a crowbar, These taffs are a crowbar.
Speaker 5: Or they're a source of revenue, but you.
Speaker 4: Can't say they are a source of revenue, so we don't need to worry about the deficit and then say we're they're a crowbar because we're going to get rid of them when other countries.
Speaker 5: Reduce their tariffs. That's just contradicting yourself.
Speaker 4: Look, all of us making decisions don't want to make them when there are a whole bunch of cards that are going to be turned over before too long. Whether it's buying a washing machine, buying a car, buying a house, or a business buying a factory. You want the situation to settle down, and you want to have some sense of.
Speaker 5: Certainty before you act.
Speaker 4: How could anybody act with confidence when you don't know what the price of steal's going to be, when you don't know what the situation of your competitors is going to be. So the traditional approach of policymakers is to try to provide as predictable an environment as possible so as to increase business confidence. And this new approach of trying to maintain maximum flexibility probably is good for raising the ratings of a TV show because you never know what's going to happen next, but it's hard to believe that it inspires the confidence that will be a basis for investment.
Speaker 1: We talk about systemic risk when it comes to the banking system. What about systemic risk the overall global economic system? I mean, apart from the individual tariffs and what consequences immediate might happen, how big at risk is there to the system? And I will say, in the past, we've had some shakeups. I mean, Margaret thatcher Ronald Reagan shook up a lot of economics. Is this that sort of a transformation or could it be more profound?
Speaker 4: I think a lot of, not everything, but a lot of what Margaret thatcher Ron reign did was a necessary corrective to various kinds of accesses. You know, we had twenty percent interest rates in the United States. They had piles of garbage twelve feet high on every street in London. So I don't think that's the right example for thinking about this at all. I think a better example is the smooth Hawley tariffs that we saw. Now, the lore exaggerates, but I think it's fair to say that the smooth Holy tariffs contributed to making the depression great.
Speaker 1: Even the issue of smooth Holly raises the larger issue where are we on the likelihood or probability of recession or stagflation. Obviously we don't know where we are yet, but where is that headed.
Speaker 4: I think the odds are on one side or the other of fifty percent that we'll have a recession within the next year. The indicators of sentiment, the psychological indicators, are mostly running really very negative. The hard indicators on what's actually happening are less negative, but they've had less time to adjust and are more backward looking and are less forward looking. So I think the odds of a recession are probably fifty to fifty. And part of the reason I think they're as limited as that is because I think there's some prospect that, particularly if things turned downwards, they'll be a reversal in course.
Speaker 1: What does this do for some of our economic rivals? I mean, during the first administration of Donald Trump, he really focused on China, not exclusively, but really predominantly. This time, maybe it's not quite so sure. But if you're sitting in Beijing right now, if your president g how do you react to these tariffs?
Speaker 5: What does it do to your situation? You know?
Speaker 4: I think it goes beyond the tariffs, David. In China, the signal event in the lives of people your age and my age in China was the cultural revolution, when the government turned against all the traditional leading institutions of society. And what I hear and see is that the Chinese see that we are having a kind of cultural revolution. They also see it as a huge opportunity because they know better than anyone else how much damage a cultural revolution can do to a society. And they see us alienating all our traditional friends, and they see us increasingly internally divided, and they see us focused on domestic vengeance rather than global challenges, and they have to see that as a very big opportunity and perhaps even as a strategic gift.
Speaker 1: Larry, you always admonish me and us not to overreact, not to over predict what's happening. So I wander careful not to do that. But what you're talking about really goes to the rule of law, which sounds like it's a really nice concept, but maybe we don't always remember how that undercurds are capital markets the entire economy. Now, as you say, we're not at the cultural revolution, but even shaking it a bit in that direction. When do we start to see that in barring costs the cost of capital.
Speaker 4: One of the things people have talked about is American exceptionalism, and one aspect of American exceptionalism is that multiples the ratio of prices to earnings are higher here.
Speaker 5: And that's for many reasons.
Speaker 4: But one of those reasons is that if you have earnings today here, it's more secure than you're going to have earnings tomorrow because you can count on your property rights, you can count on being able to enforce contracts. And if we start attenuating the rule of law, that starts to go away, and that can take a turn two turns, three turns off of price earnings ratios, and that's a loss of trillions of dollars of investment. And so we take for granted that we make investments with partners, and we have lawyers who write contracts, and then we know that contracts.
Speaker 5: Will be enforced.
Speaker 4: You know, one of the things I used to not understand, and I think I understand better today is why it is that in so many parts of the world you have these family clan businesses that are in twenty different industries, and we have so little of that in the United States, And the answer is that if you don't have contracts, then what you have is blood, and so you get these clan businesses because you can't trust people outside of your clan, and so you choose your cousin rather than the best person. That's a price those societies pay economically, and because we've been so good at the rule of law, it's not a price that we've paid in the last century.
Speaker 5: But we may be moving back a bit in that direction.
Speaker 1: Coming up, as the US comes to terms with Trump tariffs, Europe does an about face on defense spending. We talk with Anna Botine of Santander about what it could mean for her bank and potential reform of capital markets. This is a story about two economies in transition. In the United States, as President Trump shakes the foundations through tariffs.
Speaker 2: Foreign nations will finally be asked to pay for the privilege of access to our market, the biggest market in the world, where right now the biggest market in the world. We had a great country four years ago in terms of the economics. We were doubling up when China we were doing so well, nobody was going to catch us.
Speaker 1: And in Europe suddenly facing the need for massive defense spending it never really expected.
Speaker 6: The era of the peace dividend is long gone.
Speaker 7: The security architecture that we relied on.
Speaker 6: Can no longer be taken for granted.
Speaker 3: The age of spheres of influence.
Speaker 8: And power.
Speaker 6: Competition is well and truly back.
Speaker 1: While the new administration in the US slashes regulations and the size of the government to keep the country competitive, the EU is dealing with a stalling economy that is falling behind its western piers.
Speaker 7: So the US has something really important, which is what I call a growth mindset. So whatever government is in place, it has always been more pro growth.
Speaker 1: Anne Boutine is the executive chair of Santander Group, the fourteenth largest banking institution in the world, with operations in Europe and the Americas North and South. Thirty eight percent of its net revenue comes from Europe and South America comes in second, contributing thirty two percent.
Speaker 7: You can see that in the growth of the last decade than Europe. So it's early, but I believe that that is a very positive sign. And as I like to say, Europe is awakening and the alarm clock has been President Trump because what I have never seen is the President of the Commission saying that we're in extraordinary times and we need to take extortly measures. So it's not just good for the US, it's good for Europe. What's happening is good for growth. It's good for citizens and society, because I believe that is. I mean, there are the factors that are not as positive, but this is a very positive signal that businesses will be able to do more, invest more and create more growth.
Speaker 1: Are we seeing action yet and how much of it is being triggered frankly by what's going in Ukraine and European countries deciding they really have to step up and spend more on defense.
Speaker 7: It's a combination, I think geopolitics and what's going on in Ukraine, but also the economic, let's say, policies of the US administration. So I think both of those drivers for what I see, as you know, the German awakening, the lifting of the breaks on debt, Germany lifting the brakes on debt. It's harder except when Europe isn't a crisis. Feeling now in Europe is we are in a crisis or we could get into a crisis, and unless we do something fast, and so there is a sense of urgency I have not seen before and this is good also for companies and banks. I mean, we do business in Europe. You know, one of our biggest markets is Spain. Spain is going to grow at those two and a half even three percent depends on who you ask. So yes, I think what's going on is both structural but also due to the pressure that we're feeling on both the war and the economy.
Speaker 1: It wasn't always a positive picture for Spain. During the European debt crisis of the late two thousands, Spain was among the five EU member states that were struggling to repay their debt. Now it's economic growth outpaces Germany, France and the United Kingdom. Part of the problem is a European wide monetary policy coupled with fiscal policy run by the member states, often in different directions. What about capital markets in Europe, because it's been thought that part of the driver of growth in the United States has been the robust capital markets. So people want to raise capital to invest in, for example, startups and tech companies. Can you move in that direction to have more robust capital markets?
Speaker 7: This is one of the big goals we've had for years. Again, what's happened. The awakening that I can see in Europe, led by Germany and possibly France, means that Germany will invest one trillion euros one trillion dollars over the next decade in defense and the way they're going to finance that is through a common eurobond. So that effectively is one of the potential drivers for this Common Capital Markets Union, which we call it in Europe, which again is good for banks.
Speaker 1: What is the role of regulation in all of this? I mean, when it comes to the United States. You famously asked President Trump about deregulation at Davos earlier this year. What are the regulations that can help or hinder what you want to do? At Santadre.
Speaker 7: So, regulations matter, That's why I asked the question. I've been very vocal about this. It's about regulation, but it's also about supervision, how the agencies interpret the regulation, and this is one of the quick wins. That's why I asked the question. So I see governments as enablers for business. Businesses create wealth, you know, create companies and jobs. That's where you know, we pay taxes. Government can deliver other services. So just by getting the balance right on regulation. And at the end, regulation is there to protect consumers, but if you overprotect them, you don't grow.
Speaker 1: The European Commission turned to former ECB President Mario Draghi to study the effects of the single market and competitiveness in the EU. In the report, published in September twenty twenty four, Dragi says regulation should be designed to facilitate market entry, not become a bear to Europe's goals.
Speaker 9: A little over a decade ago, the US and European GDPs were They weren't exactly on top of each other, but they were pretty close sixteen versus fifteen roughly. And now the European GDP is fifteen or sixteen trillion, I think, and the US GDP is about thirty trillion over the course of a little more than a decade. And that is a function. Again, that's a function of a lot of things, but it's a function of a lack of investment in productivity and an over regulation of the European economy. And just as I think that we could have a significant effect on American growth by streamlining our regulation, I think you could have an even more dramatic effect on European growth if they were willing to undertake that deregulatory project, some of which has been suggested recently by Mario Draghi. In his report delivered to the European Commission.
Speaker 1: During his tenure as Vice Chair of the Federal Reserve, Randy Korrels dealt with policy recommendations for regulating financial institutions. He agrees with drog these concerns that regulations have played a part in holding Europe back.
Speaker 9: They really haven't created a European wide financial regulatory system, and that fragmentation contributes to a great deal of cost. Where there are not conceptually dramatic, but material and important differences from one jurisdiction to another within Europe with respect to financial regulation that continue to increase cost. And so from my point of view, the most important thing that Europe could do would be to accelerate in advance its europe wide framework for financial regulation, even more than some of the important particular changes that they could make. If Europe could refine its relation of capital provision. The venture capital ecosystem in Europe, for example, is very underdeveloped, and the provision of financing really of any sort to startup companies is not terribly robust, certainly compared to America. The reason that we have such an advanced tech sector is that for decades we have had nurtured, tried to develop a capital financing system that supports the provision of capital to these risky startup enterprises. And Europe has not done that. Were they to make changes to the governance of capital provision that supported particularly that sort of financing, I think you could, in a relatively short period of time, call it a decade, make a big dent in that when you consider how much the technological landscape has changed in the United States, how different the technologies that are being deployed now in the US are from what they were ten or fifteen years ago, all of which supported by our financing system. If Europe had had a financing system that was as well geared as ours to supporting that kind of innovation, they would have participated in that to a much greater degree than they have.
Speaker 1: Unifying capital markets is not a new concept to Europe, but the idea has never really gotten off the ground, and Quarrels thinks that the Trump effect might be what Europe needs to start moving towards making the changes it needs.
Speaker 9: I think it's true, nonetheless, that Europe has had a wake up call and it's been very unpleasant. But I have talked to a number of European policy makers over the course of the last month that really hasn't been much more than a month. That seems like it's been much longer than that. Certainly seems like that to the Europeans, and there is a intensity and practicality to what they are now saying they would be prepared to do in the way of accelerating regulatory change, accelerating investment in defense that really never was there before. And again, well, it has been unpleasant medicine, I think it could have a very good result for Europe.
Speaker 1: In a global economy, the race to grow is not a solo sport.
Speaker 9: Economics and economic growth is not a zero sum game. When you have a vibrant Europe, that is you know, that's better for us. There are many many win win opportunities when you have two dynamic economies that are interacting, competing, partnering with each other, and you know, we would be much better off if Europe were economically healthier than it is currently.
Speaker 1: And Anna Boutein believes that opportunity for growth and scale and diversification is the path forward for Santander as well.
Speaker 7: Going back to the key competitive advantages of Santander Global and in market scale one hundred and seventy three million customers, one of the largest consumer basis in the world. The second key strength is diversification. We do better when things get difficult because we have geographies and businesses that tend to compensate each other. Now, having said that, we obviously factor geopolitical risk into our risk analysis, and this is where being a bank that has been around for one hundred and sixty eight years helps, right, So we've gone through many crises, We've gone through Industrial revolution. You know, we're going through another change in an era right now with AI, and so we factor that into our processes and that's one of the things that we do, I believe better than others.
Speaker 1: Coming up the story of how all that delicious tuna you enjoy at high end restaurants makes it from the sea to the table with a little help from private equity. That's next on Wall Street Week. This is a story about investing in fish. Those giant bluefin tuna favored by the best sushi restaurants in New York and all around the world. Our colleague Danny Berger went to the waters off of Mexico to see where it comes from and how private equity is helping to make sure we can all enjoy it even as demand grows.
Speaker 10: You can thank private equity for this tuna farm. In November twenty twenty three, a group of investors purchased a majority steak in Baja Aqua Farms, a producer of high quality sashimi grave bluefin tuna in the Pacific Ocean off of Baja California, Mexico.
Speaker 8: This is the only farm in the world that is being fed by a centralized figure. So there is no other feeding vessel like this one in the world. So this was designed by us in integration with Mexicanca Company and a Chillian company that was working on the engineering behind this. It's always looking for efficiencies. This vessel what basically does It receives the sardines from the fishing vessel that is pumps on the fishholds. Then we grabbed that sardines, we put it in a big fishhold that we have here on the main deck, and then with those the sardines two different cages.
Speaker 10: Baja story began in nineteen ninety nine with just a few pens and when growing consumer demand was pushing the industry to the brink.
Speaker 11: If you look at this story of all these familiar business which baff was not really a family business, but it was really shape as a family business.
Speaker 10: Manuel Vanscez, a veteran of Nastli and other food companies around the globe, arrived at Baja Aqua Farms in March of twenty twenty three as the company CEO this fishery.
Speaker 11: For a long time, it was seen with very bad eyes. I'm going back to twenty ten, okay, and at that time the fishery was over fish. There were some indicators that were saying that in general, all the countries that are fishing these which is all the way from Japan to America and Mexico, they were abusing a little bit on the way that they were taking fish out of the water. Hence it wasn't danger. We are not fishing small fish, so we are giving the time for the fish to reproduce several times before it gets caught. Right and by definition, if you have an eighty five kilog fish, you're talking about fish that is more than ten years old, that has passed that process several times, and then you can be one hundred percent sure that going forward then there will be more. And this is really a cycle that is virtuous and is reproducing, going on and on and on.
Speaker 10: According to Noah, US, commercial fishers harvested three hundred and sixty eight metric tons of Pacific blue in tuna in twenty twenty two, grossing more than two zero point two million dollars on the dock revenue, which accounts for ten percent of total Pacific bluefin tuna landings that year. Baja is in the right place for the business. Japanese and Mexican vessels harvest the majority of the annual catch. It starts with the actual fishing. There are two commonly used methods in the Pacific commercial and recreational fissures either use hook and line or persains. Baja ops to use per sins, which are massive nets used to capture the fish but not lift them out of the water.
Speaker 8: We are now working with the fine tunings, so we have to improve this vessel. We have to bring another vessel to the rest of the cages because we are capable to fit twenty four here, but we have forty. We're going to have fifty in the next July. So we got to move fast because if we want to keep all the benefits that we've been gaining with this investment in the other cages, then we got to replicate this. So the next thing is to come with another grid, and then we have to bring another feeding vessel like this one, and that requires money.
Speaker 10: How much could you theoretically grow by double the size of what you have here?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, we can go with double ba.
Speaker 10: Aqua Farms hunts by air for schools of wild bluefin tuna in the Pacific corrolse them and towes them to their farm pens off the coast of Ensenada, Mexico. There they feed and tend to the fish's environment until they reach the ideal size for market, harvest them and bring them to their processing facility on land. The fish are graded for quality and either cut or packed hole for shipment to customers enter private equity.
Speaker 12: These are one hundred and seventy five to two hundred pounds a piece, and most restaurants in the country didn't actually need that much tune at one time. So what restricted actually who the company could sell to.
Speaker 10: Equity Group is the private equity investment arm of the Zell family, founded by billionaire investor Sam Zell, who passed away in twenty twenty three. It still invests cell family assets target and not specific industries, but certain features.
Speaker 12: Run companies, and I used to work at Coca Cola, and I ran budget, ran a car, and I ran a software company, which I think is a little a typical for somebody as a president of an investment firm. I think it's relevant because what's going on in private equity right now. You know, there's lots of capital, and there's lots of firms and a lot of competition. We cut across a lot of industries. So we're in healthcare, we're in agriculture, oil and gas, real estate. We have a company that sells software to the NSA, so you name it. We cut across a lot of industries. We're usually looking for something about the industry and something about the company where there's a barrier or some type of structural advantage. So what that makes us do is actually look across different sizes and in particular different industries.
Speaker 10: In early twenty twenty three, rather unusually, a number of investors heard about the promise of tune A Fie fishing and Baja Aqua farms at the same time.
Speaker 12: There's a lot of strong growth in the bluefin tuna market, so inherently it's been growing for decades. And then on the supply side in the industry, it's a regulated global market, so there are quotas internationally. You can't just go out and fish as much as you want. In each country. There are concessions, so you have to have the right and a concession to actually grow the tuna. And then there's actually licenses that you need for the fishing boats and the captains. So the demand's growing and the supplies got some controls around it. So that's what we liked about the industry. The company has got a few structural advantages that we really appreciated, and they revolve around its proximity. It's based in Mexico, and this industry, you can imagine a tuna is heavy, right, two hundred pounds, and so shipping a tuna, especially air freight, is very very expensive, so are competitions in Japan and the Mediterranean. Mexico, so the proximity to the US is a huge advantage for this company to ship fish from Mexico into the US, so that's one. The second one is the labor cost in Mexico is cheaper, so there's an advantage there. And then the third component is just the cost of feeding the tuna. So you feed them anchovies, you feed them sardines, and structurally it's been really a positive that where we fish for the tuna off the coast of Mexico is very close to where we fish for the sardines, so that lowers the feed cost.
Speaker 10: Conti, Cultiba Equity Group and Cassel Harlan purchased a majority stake, leaving dry Powder in their arsenal for ongoing support. They've also each sent an executive to Bajas board. The goal is essentially the same as any other private equity investment, grow the customer base, expand to new markets, and invest in new technology, equipment and staff.
Speaker 6: We have the best brothers them as we tried who Growwindo Martin and as we have more supply now.
Speaker 1: Because the colt that has increased. Now the real challenge is to build those markets.
Speaker 13: We are waiting the fish older, so after we grade it, then they're cutting the tail and those guys over there, they are going to win the fish.
Speaker 6: So they are going to put again this camp with the exact wave of the product before putting it into the bus. So if it is going to Japan, and we'll go to one side, Brazil, Colombia, Lubai, the state's interial east coast, west coast and.
Speaker 10: Make this incredibly huge logistics operation. It is it is fresh, Well, yeah, it's fresh. It's so many different sizes. You're shipping it literally all over the world and you have to, I guess calibrate as each one comes in which client it's going.
Speaker 11: To, Yes, indeed, and then we are tracking over there and obviously the distance from one point to the end point, so there's airports connections. Even the barcoo that you.
Speaker 2: See over there in the mouth of the y it's also ours.
Speaker 13: It's just just a software that illustrated inside. There is also a thermometer that is coming into the fish and is tracking the temperature of the fish from that boy until you up in the bus.
Speaker 11: We will need to expand and that's a challenge too, So it's a bit of testinal the promises. As you can see, there's no machine but.
Speaker 6: That can actually replace these labor because of these specifications that we have in the product and what you have on the value proposition through our consumer. But at the end of the day, yeah, we will need to expand and get more people and more production lines in order to bring all this volume.
Speaker 10: Into the company.
Speaker 1: And that's where we turn next to how a private equity firm founded by Sam Zell stepped up to provide the capital and the expertise Baha needed to grow its business. EGI joined with others to provide the capital Baja Aqua Farms needed. How is that capital being deployed and how is it changing the way Baja does its business. Dannie Burger continues the story.
Speaker 10: After nearly a year and a half with private equity on board, Baja is putting its new capital to work.
Speaker 8: We got an investment plan of around five millions per year which is going entirely to fishing assets, to farming assets. Yeah, so you keep things running right, so you have maintenance kpex and then growing kepex. We have a plan for eight millions this year which is a new vessel that's going to be incorporated to the fishing fleet, and then we have some growth kapex that's going to be here at the farm. You see around mooring grates right, So there's a big bound of cages there, thank cages there, tank cages there all together in a solitary mooring system. And also we have some solitary systems which is holding one cage. So this year we're investing another million in putting another grid. So we're putting gauges together like this one to facilitate the feeding.
Speaker 10: Equity group, along with the rest of the investor consortium, owns a majority stake in Baja. The goals of private equity in any investment are the same, grow the company and get a return on the investment. But egi's timelines are different from what you would expect when you think of private equity. So you mentioned it takes some time you have to capital into this business to get the returns you want. What does an exit look like for something like Baja Aqua Farms.
Speaker 12: We don't put a time horizon on our investments. It's actually something that's a little different, I think from most pe firms. Most of them comes from Sam Zell and his family, so we're a principal investor and we sell when we've extracted as much value as we think we can. We really haven't even begun to penetrate the United States. There's new products that we can develop, and we're even going to explore maybe potentially other geographies to ficient. So there's a lot of growth potential here. We've held companies for five years, we've held companies for fifteen. It's all just a function of how much more growth we think is out there.
Speaker 10: Recently, private equity exits have taken longer and longer to execute. According to a twenty twenty five Mackenzie outlook for global private markets, average buyout whole times remain above the long term average at six point seven years. That compares to the average of five point seven years over the past twenty years. Is there a way to get returns out of the company? Do you look for ways to get dividends of sorts and the lead up to the exit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, for sure. That is actually a really core part of what we do. Part of it is MEYBI in an operation is very focused on that. We do expect our companies to generate cash and it's just kind of mandatory for us. Some of that is the investment thesis understanding the type of business that we invest in. But absolutely we're not going to hold something for ten years and not take money out of the company. You know, maybe the first year or two the company net isn't generating cash because we're investing. We're putting in new technology, new people, all the things I've talked about. But absolutely there's an expectation that we're diving ending money out and as the EBADAG grows, as the profits grow, will also every few years recap the business and take money out. That way, you know, our expectation is four or five years in if things are tracking, we've got all our money out of the investment that we've put in.
Speaker 10: Equity Group's patient capital and holding times may be different from their pepers, but one thing is the same. Private equity ownership means big changes for the companies that they own.
Speaker 12: The company was selling in the US, but they were using one distributor, mostly in southern California. So we've helped them roll out that we have now I think eight distributors across the entire US. We're also not just using distributors, we're actually building a salesforce going into the markets and selling the restaurants directly. So there's things like that that we help the company put in place, and that's going to create growth in and of itself. Just at one point, we've gone from three countries when we bought the company. We're up to nine right now, and so we're expanding in these other geographies. They've got their own consumer demand, they've got their own regulatory environments, so there's a lot of different issues you have to work through as you roll into new countries. Another aspect, which is enormous is when we bought the company and they sold tuna, they would actually sell the entire tuna. So if you're a restaurant and you wanted fresh bluefin tuna, you would have to buy the entire fish. These are one hundred and seventy five to two hundred pounds a piece, and most restaurants in the country didn't actually need that much tuna at one time, so it restricted actually who the company could sell to. So we're working on a project right now where we're going to sell loines, which is just basically selling part of the tuna, and that's going to open up probably tenfold as many restaurants as we're selling to right now.
Speaker 10: Jeffs Franklin Becker and Robbie Cook of coral Omakasse in Point Seven in New York source tuna from Japan and the East Coast of the US. Their merchants used similar practices to Baja, no catching tuna and nuts, no antibiotics, no hormones, native and national feed traceability and ECOGIMA. You're a veteran in this industry. You've worked with lots of different kinds of meat, different types of fish. Can you just talk about working with bluefin tuna? About how special and different that is?
Speaker 14: Bluefin tuna. It's so unique because because it's just got the right amount of fat and the right amount of marbling throughout the structure the fish is is it's just a beautiful fish at the end of the day, robust in flavor, beautiful color. When you get down into the chewturo and the o touro, which is the medium fatty tuna, and the fatty tuna just melts in your mouth.
Speaker 10: What do you make about this, this current moment of the popularity of the fish itself.
Speaker 14: You know, for a while it was overfished, and for a while people were kind of avoiding it, including myself, and thankfully the populations come back in a big way. They also do a process called ikagema, which is basically they stick a rod into its head, into its spinal cord and they bleed it out that way, and that prevents all the fish from basically atrophying the wrong way and the meat becoming tough, so that kind of keeps it really nice.
Speaker 10: Point seven and coral omacasse are also examples of demands for cuts of fish, not the entire bluefin.
Speaker 14: If you're buying the whole fish, you're buying it because a you have the storage space to handle it, which is a huge commitment all on its own, you're going to be able to turn it over. You have multiple restaurants in my case, with a twelve seat o macasse, it does not make sense.
Speaker 10: Beyond the quality of fish. Fuel and growth at Baja Aqua Farms meant new boats, more sophisticated and scalable IT systems, net cleaning and other maintenance systems, a larger sales staff, and crucially a new CEO.
Speaker 12: We start with trust and transparency. I mean, if we can't work together, that's going to be just a non starter. We look for alignment. It doesn't mean we always agree, But can we all see true north?
Speaker 4: Can we all.
Speaker 12: Agree that the direction we're going in makes sense? So that's got to be there. And then look, you know, leaders have to inspire. They have to hire good management themselves. Have they built a good organization? Have they built a good structure? Have they hired talented people to people like working there?
Speaker 10: New management comes with the territory. When private equity comes to the scene with a one of a kind feeding system, efficiencies, new products and markets. It's up to the CEO to manage and execute growth. His goal is to add one thousand more metric tons of tuna sales every year from four and twenty twenty four to five thousand this year and six the next. What do you think are some of the biggest changes that have been put in place since you and the investors have come in.
Speaker 11: In order to have the same product with the same quality, always right, with the same timeline, with the same freshness, with the same everything, you need to have a process. And in order to scale a business, you need to have those processes all around the company, even from the way that we fish, the way that we grow the fish, to the way that we go and do the logistics to the final restaurant that we have grow, grow, Grow growth. Last year there was a significant change also because of all these things that I'm telling you and the way that we're fishing. So they increase fifty percent the quota. That means that this year, for the first time.
Speaker 3: On the last.
Speaker 11: I would say, fifteen years, we are allowed to go and finish more fifty percent more of what this stack or this gap was allowing ones to get. As a result of that, if you are bringing that supply into the market, you need to grow the market very responsibly. And for that we created three different segments now which is ready to God, ready to serve, ready to eat, to have an investor group that believes in that vision and that is not only endorsing it, but it's facilitating the way to go there much more fast.
Speaker 10: What has been the biggest difference or surprise or change for you to work with a company that's private equity.
Speaker 11: Backed that is always the smarter people in the room than me. Yeah, it's always challenging. Yes, And when I am with this diverse group of people and I hear all these ideas, there will always be things that I have not seen or comments that I have not heard or even ideas that I never thought of. But that is actually very exciting. On the downside, I told you what it was. On the good part of it is that it's always keeping me at the edge and with all this adrenaline and trying obviously to improve as a person and also to try to grave all these knowledge that is there out. We don't take a fish out of the water unless it's already solved, which is very very important for us.
Speaker 10: What markets do you want to expand into?
Speaker 11: South America? Very interesting and we are moving forward very rapidly there. Middle East looks very interesting and we want to also check that market, and specifically the East coast of the United States is also very important to us. We are very strong on the West, but if you move east, then we start seeing some white spots. So now we change that strategy. We actually got the country in five different regions.
Speaker 10: Almost exactly a year after the Investor Group acquired at Stake, a new presidential administration won the White House promising tariffs specifically aimed at products from Mexico. How do you think about those costs and who they go towards? Do you push that forward to the consumer? Do you push it forward to someone else.
Speaker 12: We're in a lot of industries that we hold companies for a while and we see the environment change, sometimes positively, sometimes negatively. So it could be the consumer. Could we own a hospital chain and we owned it and managed it through COVID, so we dealt with that, that's a disruption. We own a warehouse company on the East coast ports and we dealt with the Baltimore Bridge collapse. So you know, and we're in cyclical industries. We're in oil and gas, we're in real estate, we're in agriculture, so we see most of our companies actually have a lot of ups and downs. Tariffs are just, in my mind, another type of headwind that a company potentially is going to face for some period of time in terms of if there are tariffs and how we'll manage it. Look, I think the answer is going to be it's the cost is going to get spread. We'll probably end up absorbing some, some will get passed along to the consumer. If you remember the value chain here, there's the consumer, there's the restaurant, there's the distributor, there's ourselves. So there's a series of different ownership groups all along the value chain. And I guess is every part of the value chain absorbs or part of that.
Speaker 10: Cost tariffs aside, everyone along the food chain recognizes what matters to consumers in the marketplace.
Speaker 14: You can have a bad fish coming out of Japan the same way you can have a bad fish coming out of California or Spain or North Carolina. It all comes back to the beginning. How is that fish caught, how is it killed, how is it preserved? What did they do? How long was it on the boat? All of these things matter. It comes down to authenticity. It also comes down to the fat content, and it just melts in your mouth and it becomes this experience that's almost religious.
Speaker 11: I mean, that's it.
Speaker 1: That does it for us here at Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston. This is Bloomberg. See you next week for more stories of capitalism.