Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sarah Hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun, from figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life. Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura. This episode is airing at the beginning of October of twenty twenty four. It's going to be a bit of a Hodgepodge episode. We're going to do a quick rundown of our new school year routines and what's working for us and anything we're thinking of changing up. We're also going to do a brief discussion of whining. Has been a hot topic for us for our Patreon community forums. It happens. I'm not saying my children ever whine, and I'm sure nobody listening to this has children who ever whine, but theoretically it could happen, and if so, we want to share some thoughts about it and ways to deal with it and hopefully come out of it with our own mental health intact. And then finally, in the question, we're going to do a slightly deeper dive into a question about a childcare and early childhood education and how those things fit together. But first of all, Sarah, you guys are like six weeks into the new school year by the time this is airing, right, you've been doing this for a while.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are. I know you said new school year and I'm like newish at this point. I don't know what percentage we are the way through, but it's not tiny anymore. But we have had some changes, and I feel like the time of this episode is good because it's taken us a little while to settle into some of those changes. And I'm not sure I would be as calm if we had done this episode just a week or two in, because there were just some things I feel like we had to practice. But to summarize, the biggest changes have been that we have two different schools, which mean an earlier time to leave the house to drop off the kids. This is not something our nanny generally does for us, because she stays late so we are my husband and I the ones kind of in charge of drop off, and so beginning that process more like seven twenty five versus the seven forty five seven fifty we were used to actually kind of made a difference.
Speaker 1: So I'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: We've also had a lot later activities and more late night activities. I think there's a kid with something until eight forty five basically every night at the week, except for Monday, when it's the latest is seven. So I mean that's really different from what we'd experienced when the kids were younger. And then we've also, I think just had to kind of relate it to that deal with a bit of a later bedtime. So just going through each of those the earlier leaving has been okay in that Actually, I would say the themes that there's been more dividing and conquering than there ever was before. My husband and I realized that actually if we each did one drop off instead of one person being like a bus and doing both, then that means we could leave closer to the more previous typical time of around seven forty five. And so we've created a schedule where some days I take everyone, some days he takes everyone, and then most of the other days we actually split them up, and this has provided enough variety that it's kind of nice because like then you get the one on one time and some of the car rides with different groups of kids, and then sometimes you're totally off, like I'm totally off on Thursdays and he's totally off on Tuesdays, and I just feel like we've gotten a nice balance there. So it took some configuring and experimentation, but that's been good. The late night activities has been very much helped by carpools, which are kind of new to us. But I was aggressive in seeking out carpool constituents for soccer in particular because it does go quite late, and we were so lucky to find two other families who live very close by and conveniently. Soccer is three nights per week, so we each now own a night, which means that's two nights we don't own. Our nanny often helps with us, so I mean selfishly, I actually don't do a lot of soccer driving at all during the week at all. I'm happy to watch games, but super excited not to really be involved in the driving for practices and it's been great. And then finally, my fear was that with kids getting finished with stuff at eight forty five, that we'd be going to bed at like ten thirty because there'd be this protracted wine down. But we've kind of gotten it, like, Okay, if Josh is picking up from gymnastics, I'm heating up her dinner like while he's driving, so that the second she gets home, I'm placing it in front of her. She knows to just go ahead and shower and we will just go to bed. And we've gotten to the point where I think there was one night that we did the driving like our nanny had gone and we were all in bed by nine thirty despite an eight forty five pickup, my husband and my so included. So yeah, I feel like that took some practice, but it is working better than I thought. I've talked a lot, but yeah, I thought I would have to alter my morning running routine more than I have, but it's actually been okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the days are long, but you've crammed it all in so for now. I like that the transition is so fast from like eight forty five pickup to nine thirty bed That is very impressive. Yeah, I don't know that I would wind down quite that fast, but I guess I don't wake up quite as early in the morning, although I did this morning. For unknown reasons, I've been popping up randomly some mornings at like five am, which is a whole different can of worms. But I do have productive mornings on those days when I am up at five am. So yeah, we've shifted some things to as longtime listeners know, our school district decided to adopt new start times this year in response to plenty of research finding that adolescence just don't do well in early mornings, and so you can have better at ten and then it's better behavior, better graduation rates, all this stuff if you start high school later. So our high school now starts at eight thirty versus seven thirty, and so that's been a pretty major change because we have two children in high school. To accommodate that. Of course, the middle school moved fifteen minutes earlier, which is causes issues because middle schoolers are adolescents as well, so that's not a huge win. But the bigger issue is that in order to have the same number of buses running, because we didn't magically get more buses or bus drivers. In the course of this timing change, the middle school bus has actually come quite early in order to get the kids dropped off by about seven forty five seven fifty so they can then start the high school run. And so Ruth's time was pretty early. She has taken the bus once and it's the same driver in the morning in the afternoon, so she can give him a heads up if she will be taking it in the morning, so he knows to look for her and stop. Mornings we've been driving her, and with driving, we usually don't have to leave till seven thirty seven thirty five, and so she can wake up at seven, which means nobody really needs to be up before seven am in the morning, which is great. Like I said, I'm off and up before then, but that gives me a little quiet time in the morning. I've been working, I've been running whatever else. So she gets up, the high school boys get up around seven thirty. They drive together most mornings, and then the little boys start school at nine and nine ten, respectively, although the nine to ten gets dropped off before the nine because the nine ten is the elementary school and they push back on tartis in a way that the preschool does not, so it's it is a clear ranking of the hierarchy of who it matters if you are late, So we definitely drop the elementary school kit off first. With all this, I did not want my work mornings to start at nine thirty, which is what they would need to start at if I were responsible every morning for getting the little kids to the elementary school in preschool. So we actually have our nanny coming even earlier now, so she comes three mornings a week at seven thirty. I basically say hello, say goodbye to Ruth, say goodbye to the boys who can get themselves out the door, the big boys, and then I go to my office and I am to be working by seven forty. And it's great, Like I love all I can accomplish. When I have started at seven p forty, I wind up doing the little kid getting ready two of the mornings a week. One morning I tend not to be the one driving, and then one morning I am driving, So I still, you know, I get the mix of all of it. But three mornings a week, I'm starting early, unless something goes wrong like it did this morning when the high school buses were running late, and Jasper has a free period every fourth day his first hour, so he doesn't get up to drive Sam. So Sam was taking the bus, and then the buses were late, so our nanny wind up driving Sam, and so I was getting the little kids ready this morning. But when things are going as they should, I.
Speaker 2: Kind of impressed that you don't have to go to your free period, like you could just roll in later, that senior privilege.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, well, if it's first or last of the day, obviously, you know, if it's like the third period, you're not allowed to just like leave for an hour in the middle of the day. I guess the rule is, but if it's the first or the last, then you can leave or come late as needed.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's the mornings. The other big shift. We shifted the evenings too. I decided in Room No Devices time is eight thirty. It is no longer nine, even though people don't have to get up as early. I just it was always running late when we started at nine. People need that time for reading, for homework, for all sorts of things. If we're bathing the little boys, like, they wouldn't want to go up before nine, because like they could have had their devices till nine and you know, so it's like by starting at eight thirty at least that can happen before endlessly late amounts of time.
Speaker 2: And you have an exception for homework correct.
Speaker 1: Oh for device, well, they can keep their school laptops. Yeah, so if they're doing homework, that's fine. And I gotta say I am not militant with the seventeen year old, partly because he's kind of responsible for his own stuff, but it makes me gives it to me usually.
Speaker 2: But I mean, he's going to be on his own next year, so having some kind of like gradation actually makes sense versus it being like mom is like entirely in charge of you and then free for all. So I think, yeah, it's probably more strategic than you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I mean they use it as their homework time, right and a lot of their stuff is on their laptops now, so you know they need to be on schoology so that that tends to be when those happened. That was another reason to move it earlier, as I wanted to make sure I could protect enough times for the older boys when they sort of knew this was the time that they needed to be focusing on work. So yeah, it's what's happening now? Love it all? Right, Well, let's take a quick ad break and then we'll be back talking about whining. Well, we are back. We opened with a discussion of new school year routines, what times things are happening, how we have shifted things around. So fortunately, there actually hasn't been that much whining about our new routines. I worried there might be a little bit about the earlier in your room time, but there hasn't been that much, which has been good. I'm glad to hear it. But you know, whining in general does happen, and we've had some discussions with listeners and you know, peopeople who talk about how it can kind of ruin something that would otherwise be reasonably fun and generally why people whine. And adults do this too, by the way, I mean, there's definitely the sort of complaining tone that adults go into. It's when you are unhappy about something but don't feel you have the power to change it on your own, so you tend to whine, which is more of a submissive voice to the person that you believe could change it, so it is understandable. It is a very rational way of reacting to a situation. It is, of course, also incredibly annoying. Is also annoying if it is something the person has agreed to, let's say, but in the moment feels like they do not wish to do it and you are haranguing them to get out the door. I'm sure this never happens in your family, Sarah, Never.
Speaker 2: No. I feel like everyone in my family has a different style of whining, including myself. And you know, I was just thinking, whinning is kind of like a little bit passive aggressive sometimes, especially if you know the situation is not going to change. But it's like, well, but I can make it annoying for everyone so they can hear all about it and it will feel like a little bit good maybe, and yet accomplish nothing.
Speaker 1: So whining is rough.
Speaker 2: And yet there's like little kid whining. There's like the tired whining. There's just like the incessant I'm not listening to your no kind of a whining.
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like we're all whining professionals around here, and I have to say I definitely whine sometimes when I make a concerted effort not to whine. I'm usually pleasantly surprised that the lack of whining tends to improve things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's we all do it, But yeah, it doesn't necessarily strike the person who is in charge in the situation or who has the veto power or whatever that they might wish to amate the whining. So I guess it would just must be a reflex sort of thing to do, because yeah, kids do it sort of automatically. It's not like they learned to whine.
Speaker 2: Well, especially maybe if it works a little bit.
Speaker 1: Works intermittently, it's like the hamster hitting Yeah. Yeah, So I mean, I think it's important to acknowledge that some whining is inevitable, and that doesn't necessarily mean that anything has to change. You can sort of decide that, okay, into a little life, into life, a little whining must inevitably fall, and with that as the mindset, that can help to kind of stay grounded about the whole thing. Like, it doesn't mean you should never do anything ever. Again, that said, very few things are fun for the whole family for the whole time. So you can be out at an amusement park, which presumably you were doing for your own edification, like you are there for your children. Except at some point in this amazing day of going to this amusement park, they're gonna be hot, they're gonna be tired, they're gonna be waiting in line for a ride that their sister wanted to go on but was not in their top three. And that's when the whinning happens. And so you can just get so mad that people are whining about this expensive, time consuming trip to the amusement park that you would not have been doing on your own, or you can sort of say, well, there will be whining today, but it's still going to overall be a good day. We are aiming for a few enjoyable moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like not catastrophizing it because it's not Instagram reel every second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody's life is Instagram reel every second, including people who post much of their lives on Instagram. They edit out the parts that are not Instagram were they? So Yeah, if you're just with any te any activity any day, really you're aiming for a few enjoyable moments. And if you keep that as your goal, then you can let it roll off your back a little bit more than you might. That said, obviously, if you can involve people in decisions, that might be helpful, so asking kids what they would like to do. Obviously, there's not going to be universal consensus and people can't get everything they want, but when you give people some degree of choice, it can be helpful. I also generally let children who are old enough to stay home by themselves opt out of things if it is not an important family value, as in, yes, if we've decided to go visit relatives, you need to do that, or yes, if we've decided to go to church, let's say you're going to need to do that, but you don't have to go apple picking like that has I think it might be fun, but in general you don't have to do it, not universally. We had some major whining before a rafting trip because my older two boys had opted out. Desper did not want to go. Sam had a cross country meet so he had a reason. So then Jasper volunteered to go pick him up. You know, okay, clever, yeah, clever. But then that meant I could go on the trip, which is fine. I was happy to go, but then you know, we're on a raft we need four people to row, and I couldn't have Henry row. Ruth didn't want to go, so she was sort of unhappy about it, but I couldn't not let her go because then we're gonna have to pick somebody up off the street to row for us.
Speaker 2: Henry is pretty strong. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our four year olds row in the boat through rapids. That would have been a maybe maybe he could have I don't know. He kind of held his he wanted or but he kind of held it the side where it kept hitting Michael's or helpful.
Speaker 2: I feel like the corollary of like leaving an older kid home is also bringing a friend for them, because I have it's like kind of magical that like two twelve year olds actually wine half as much as one twelve year old. I don't know that math is like backwards, but yeah, I've seen it in action.
Speaker 1: If I'd thought about that, I have no time that would have been because then we would have had even an extra war ar you know, if I had somebody else who could have rowed that stupid boat through the rapids. But yeah, yeah, that would have been a smart thing to do. But you got to choose your battles. I am certainly not above bribery, you know, like, Okay, we're doing this, and I know we'll be getting home close to time, let's say on Sunday night, when you would have to put your screens way, so maybe you get them for an extra thirty minutes, or we do a wah wah stop on the way home. Definitely, we stop at Starbucks after church every week, which is not a great broad because my kids seem to get Starbucks a lot, but there was a period of time in my life where we were not even allowed to go to any commercial establishment on Sunday. So this seems like a big give on my part. Not in my family, my family of origin. But yeah, it's yeah, you know, you bribe where you can.
Speaker 2: I will say I frequent Starbucks a lot, and I don't really get tired of that as a bribe to myself, so I can see why it would still work with your children.
Speaker 1: Do you have any bribes of this variety? I don't know what the Florida equivalent of we have rita is up here, so that's somewhere where wah wah.
Speaker 2: I mean we yeah, ice cream always work, dairy queen, etc. But I have to say like for hiking, just having really good snacks, like snacks outside of what we would normally have, like yes, this is a time for that bag of candy, or like whatever your dreams are made of that you're gonna stop and eat after a mile or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, No, I think the snack thing is important for long plane rides too. See people dole out a new snack every ninety minutes on a plane. If it's exciting enough, that can get you through quite a while, although again inevitably whining. I believe the phrase from a kJ deal Antonia, who has been on this podcast before. She wrote a book called How to Be a Happier Parent. I'm probably quoting this wrong because I didn't look it up before I did these notes, but was that you don't have to go down there, so that if your kids are in a negative emotional state, you don't actually have to match them. You are allowed to enjoy yourself even if the people around you do not seem to be actively enjoying themselves and are letting you know about that. That your emotional state is within your purview and you do not have to give that over to someone else.
Speaker 2: So interestingly, I had a very similar free well you reminded me of it. But Erica Ladd from Girl next Door podcast once said, my energy is my own. That was where like tagline for like the phase of parenting she was in, and that was exactly it, like not to get wrapped up in her kids' stuff. And I just love that. So, yeah, you don't have to go down there. And my energy is my own.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that. And then one thing I do to talk myself into stuff sometimes that I'm not terribly excited about doing in the moment, I thought might have been cool in the past when I thought about it, and then in the moment it's like, oh am I going to do this. It's like if you thought it would be enjoyable, or people generally do this thing because it's fun. Pretty soon you're going to be on the other side of it, and if it's something that is generally fun, you probably will be happy that you did it. So you know, in this particular rafting trip, we did tell the kids in the morning, like, Okay, we're going to be on the other side of this in a couple hours, Like eventually it's going to be Saturday night and we will have been on the rafting trip, or we will have not. But most of the time people go on the rafting trip because it's fun, right, Like that's why people raft down rivers. It's not because they're trying to get from point A to point B, which there are much quicker ways to get from point A to point B in Jones that people think it's a fun activity, and it was. It was a lot of fun, even though it rained on us, even though it was kind of chilly, it was like sixty five degrees and rainy, and yet we still had a good time. And I could, you know, say that at the end of lie like I'm not saying we have to do this again tomorrow, but we did enjoy ourselves and like we were like proud of our family for rowing that four miles down the river and getting off the river at the right spot even with the rapids and all that. So you know, I'm not saying you have to say I told you so afterwards or anything like that, but you might narrate that things are generally fun, are like, oh, look, we're enjoying ourselves that Oh yeah, we weren't sure we wanted to do this, but oh look how good it was, or yes, this might not be your favorite ride in the universe, but in three minutes it will be over, because all rides are over within three minutes, and then you can go about your life. Love it, love it all. Right, Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then we will be back with a little bit of a longer Q and a thinking about childcare and early education options and how these fit together. Well, we are back. We have been talking our new school year routines, about the mornings and the evenings. We did a bit of a deep dive into whining, and now we have a question, Sarah, did you want to read this or you want me to?
Speaker 2: Or sure? I feel like you're gonna get on your soapbox. So okay, okay, I know a lot of times we abridge our stuff, but I'll read most of this because I think it's a great.
Speaker 1: I bridged it slightly in the version.
Speaker 2: I will it's already so concise and clear.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, you can read my notes, Sarah.
Speaker 2: I'm curious you're experience sending your kids to preschool for the first time. Thoughts on sending them at three verses, four half days, full days, or both. My daughter I just turned three, and my husband and I aren't sure if we should consider preschool sooner rather than later or not. She loves her current daycare and they seem to have a good preschool program, but with her going to the local public school for kindergarten, are there pros of going to the public school preschool program at three or four? How do we make this decision? Are there things we should consider? From your experience, there seem to be so many options, but not a lot of information about why we would choose one over another. Also curious if there were some things you did to prepare them when they do start preschool that ease the transition, as her daycare is all she knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when I read this question, it set me off on a little tangent, which is a little bit of a soapbox here, because sometimes people think there is a difference between daycare and preschool, And so the thing is, a high quality daycare center is preschool right like they do early childhood education activities, only you get the extra wrap around care too. So I can assure you that when I sent Jasper to daycare for the first four years of his life, by the time they were about eighteen months, they were doing early childhood education curricula. They were working on holding a pencil. Eventually, by the time they were about three or so, they were learning you know, letters and numbers and colors and days of the week and months of the year or whatever else you're supposed to be doing. They were practicing making letters. By the time they could hold a pencil, they were doing early math curriculum. They were working on early literacy. Once they were you know, three and four years old, so it was preschool. The only difference was you could drop them off at eight and pick them up after five, right like, which a lot of preschools do not offer that that are only preschools. So high quality daycare is preschool with wrap around care. Now, the reason this matters is because I feel like in our cultural conversation daycare is often seen as bad. So, like, literally, there was this viral tweet a few months ago. I don't know, I was off Twitter for a while and then I got back on, and then I was sad that I got on because I see's still like this. But some young childless dude had seen like a daycare near his house, and I guess some kid on the playground looks playground looks sad, and so he thought he tweeted out daycare should be banned, okay, and some people were like liking this or whatever. I mean, it's just so stupid, right, So it's like daycare is bad, where's preschool? Like preschool is good? Like maybe a kid cries on the playground there, but well, it's pre school learning. It's learning, Like if they fall on the preschool playground, it's fine. I don't know, so I struggled to get my head around this, because again, remember, high quality, center based daycare is preschool with wrap around care. But as far as I can tell, the issue is that working moms use something that is called daycare, and working moms are bad, and airgo daycare is bad, but stay at home moms use preschool, and stay at home moms are good, and therefore preschool is good. And this is literally the depth of the reasoning in this conversation.
Speaker 2: I think you're I was reflecting on this. I think you're very right, And interestingly, I feel like there's been a shift in all demographics in calling daycare preschool, even if it's absolutely a classic daycare, like we even have these daycares in the area that are awesome because they're for like medically complex kids and they're subsidized, but they also offer like medical services. And I'll hear parents calling it preschool. I'm like, great, okay, it makes them feel better. But then if you actually think about, like, well, why does that make them feel better? It's exactly what you said, because daycare is bad because it's for the parents. They're caring for the kid while you get to do your own stuff, versus preschool for the child, it's only for their Enrichmond, who cares what mom is doing? And this is like what we've talked about so many times, which is like we can't too, and maybe it can be for both of us. Maybe there could be a best of both worlds in here where my kid is actually getting engaged and taught and learning, and I'm getting to go to work, build my business, do whatever I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and especially I mean just as you know, yeah, because like and I would even I mean, we do what we need to do during the days. And you know, if some people obviously work as a financial necessity, So I feel really bad that people are making somebody who really truly does need to go to work for full time, Like feel bad about that that they're using childcare which is preschool, like whereas you know if it was a preschool, it'd be different. But anyway, so off the soapbox. Now to our listener, if your kid is happy at daycare, there is zero reason to switch, Okay, like zero. You are not missing something by not sending her to something that is specifically labeled as a preschool. She is getting all of that at her daycare, which you've pointed out has a preschool program, so there is nothing different that they are going to do, Like you're gonna learn the same months of the year. They don't learn different ones at preschool, Like you're gonna learn the same numbers, You're gonna certain the same fine motor grip so you can hold a pencil, Like this is all the same stuff that they are going to learn. So you do not have to switch, because again daycare is preschool with wrap around care. Now, in this listener scenario, the reasons that she could switch partly if it is a public preschool option, it might be free, Like I presume it is free as a public school option, so she would have to run the numbers on that.
Speaker 2: Eh, yes, and no, like we have in Florida, there's a lot of public PreK programs that are actually not free. They're oh okay, they're not as expensive, maybe private, but I don't know. They're sort of incorporated into the public school. But they're extra cost. Yeah they are extra cost. Yeah, well so then obviously that changes it too.
Speaker 1: Like then again, there's not really a whole lot of reason to pull her out to send her to that, because the problem is you would have to then recreate the wrap around care that you are currently getting if you put her in a preschool program. Now, maybe the numbers would work, Like if it is a free program, maybe it would be significantly cheaper to hire somebody, But again, it's hard to get somebody to work a part time job, like a part time nanny who wants to come in the morning and then come again in the afternoon. Like it doesn't there's not that many people who would want to do that. So probably you and your partner would be covering one of those, right, Like you would either bring your child to preschool at nine o'clock and need to flex your work hours to start after that, or else one of you would need to end by three o'clock or whatever the time is for daycare, if you had help in the morning in order to get the same wrap around care. Now again, possibly if it is a public preschool option that maybe you have enlightened legislators in your area who have created wrap around care for the preschool, in which case great, then maybe you could approximate the hours you're getting in the daycare. And if you wanted to switch in order to have that same social group of kids who would be going to that elementary school over the next few years, then that might make sense. But you need to make sure that you're getting the hours that you need to to work, and a preschool might not automatically do that. They'd get you somewhat of the way there, but they wouldn't get you all of the way there, and so if you don't have a whole lot of flexibility, you would need to figure that out.
Speaker 2: No, that makes sense. Yeah, I wonder if part of it was the social peace. And then she did ask about tips for adjusting to the new environment, and I mean, it's probably if they're used to going to daycare, my guess is that they're gonna be able to adjust. Okay, Obviously, any new situation is going to be tough for any new kid, but probably easier for a kid who's already been in daycare versus someone who's been home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, for what it's worth. I mean, we've had a full time nanny the whole time, So we wound up doing preschool starting at about age three for the other kids, you know, after we left New York, and we're no longer using a daycare option. Henry, for instance, went three days from nine to twelve his first year of preschool, then the next year he went five days nine to twelve, and now he is doing five days nine to three as he is four point seventy five. He'll be turning five in a few months, so you know, that's sort of the ramp up that we did with it. But obviously three hours, five mornings a week is not going to cover your work hours, so you'd need other care beyond that if you're going to use that option. All right, love the week. Well, so mine is opening the window. I have one window in my office that has this roll screen thing. It's kind of cool, like you open the window and the screen automatically appears, but you don't see the screen. When you're just looking out the window, it's like in the well of the sill, so you push it up and then there's a screen. And so it's nice because I can open it. At this time of year September October, usually during the day the weather is quite nice. Autumn breeze here, the trees here, the birds makes me feel like I'm bringing the outside in. So that's a benefit. And I don't do it obviously in July because it's too hot, and I don't do it in January because it's too cold. But there are some months of the year where it makes sense to do so I need to remind myself to do it well.
Speaker 2: I will also go weather related, although we are not opening our windows just yet.
Speaker 1: Maybe ever. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Just noticing tiny incremental improvements in the weather is making me happy right now. Maybe in the month of October, which is just beginning today as this airs, maybe we'll get our first morning under seventy. Probably not, honestly, I think that's more of a November thing. But even if we start to approach the low seventies on a regular basis at six am, I will be thrilled. So going in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yay, yay, heading into the good time of year in Florida, the time that everybody else then wants to go to Florida. So there's a reason people are heading there every winter. All right, Well, this has been best of both worlds. It's been a mix of an episode. We discussed our new morning and evening routines with the school year. We talked about whining. We went into the difference or more importantly, the lack thereof, between daycare and preschool except in terms of total hours offered. Which daycare attends to have the advantage on that one. But anyway, a lot of different topics. As always, we love to hear from you guys. If you have ideas for future episodes, things you'd like to us to talk about, questions you might have, let us know. You can always reach me at lo Ura at Laura vandercam dot com. We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram, and you.
Speaker 1: Can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.