Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: So are you're not cheating on Dan with us? Well, uh, we're like your goomah.
Speaker 3: I'll be your Jennie ROSSI. That's fine. I'll be your Guman. I'll be your side piece. Steve Covino and Rich Davis. Covino and Rich live the Mercedes Benz Studios. And the less your business spends, the more margin you keep. NetSuite bi Oracle brings accounting, finance, inventory and HR into one proven platform, helping you reduce costs everywhere. Now through April fifteenth, Netsuitet is offering a one of a kind, like you rich, one of a kind financing program. Head to NetSuite dot com slash Patrick.
Speaker 4: Right now, Damn Pildrick.
Speaker 3: We got Danny g on the phones at eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox at Covino and Rich, let's get involved.
Speaker 4: We got Joel on the xylophones.
Speaker 3: Joel on the ones and two is always great to see Joel, and of course Kevin Wyer hanging out with us. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Now, before we get into tonight's game and the Solar eclips that everybody's buzzing about and all the other nonsense going on in sports. Hope all your team's won. This weekend, Rich is talking WrestleMania forty and the observations he made. Can't deny the production value from when we were kids to now, there's no question, But is it a timestamp though? Forty Wow, you remember watching the first one? I told you they were there from the inception of this it must have been the start of wrestling. But as far as WrestleManias, there's only a few things we could say that we were part of. Yeah, and watched it. Drow this way, it must be a UFC comes to mind.
Speaker 2: I tell you how our parents must feel about the Super Bowl. If your parents are sixty seventy years old, they must have that memory of like.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, when I was a kid, there was a Super Bowl one like I wonder if this will catch on.
Speaker 2: When we were kids, it was it was gonna be called like something like the Great American Dussle, and then Vince mcsman, Vince mcmang god convinced like, how about WrestleMania, and uh hey, forty years later, it's the old timestamp makes you feel old as hell. But it was a great weekend. You had some great hoops, you had some great wrestling.
Speaker 3: Watching it from my adult eyes, and if you don't know Covino and Rich, I take a weird pride in being very immature. For some reason, even I can't suspend my belief and pretend that.
Speaker 4: I can't say that I'm entertained because I'm watching.
Speaker 2: Like really that's I'm watching, And I'm just amazed that people care that much, because I'm feeling like, do they even try to sell these moves anymore?
Speaker 3: It looks so fake to my eyes. Obviously it's fake. That's not my point. I'm just saying I feel like they're not even trying to make it look to and he's not like a buzz call.
Speaker 4: I thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed every month. My wife and I have to agree with you, But my wife and I watched were like, Wow, this is as trying to take the fun out of.
Speaker 2: Your looks face Sunday. Yeah, but it's like they're not even trying to make it. I think it looks more real than ever it's a joke. I sit there, I'm like, I can't believe people love it in this way you expect me to care. I can't get you to care about Canelo fighting Mugia on sinking to my own weekend now fights, and you expect me to care about these big glose plane pretend But my point is I can't get you to come to Vegas for free now Fox Sports Radio's dime on a real fight that matters, And you expect me to care about Roman reigns and the bloodline, the Final Boss.
Speaker 4: Give me a break entertainment.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's not I'm saying I'm an adult and I can't really get into it the way I did.
Speaker 2: When I was twelve. I'm glad you brought up baseball cards. I still like them, but I can't get into it the same way. If you have kids, I get that, because you see through their their eyes. You'll like what they like no matter what.
Speaker 3: You'll like their weak ass music that they like you like they're weak ass cartoons that they like because they're your kids, and you're caught in the moment.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 2: You brought up baseball cards, you brought up video games. Guess what I have fond memories. No one played Nintendo more than I did. Fond memory, but I can't get into it the way I once did. That's how I feel about wrestling. I feel like I can't.
Speaker 4: Do it well.
Speaker 2: And I'm the most immature, forty something year old guy you'll ever meet. And that's not to knock you. If you like it the collective, you you listening, and you enjoy it, by all means, man.
Speaker 4: That's what life to be. Honest.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just surprised because I haven't watched wrestling in a long time. I watched it from like fresh new eyes. I'm like, huh, as entertaining as I remember it. What a great weekend for WrestleMania.
Speaker 4: I tried.
Speaker 3: I tried the opposite. Yeah, and that doesn't make like I said, you right me wrong. If anything, you're more right, because look how many people are tuning in. I just can't believe it. I'm like, there's real fights. There was a UFC Fight Night on Saturday night, and a lot of you didn't care. There's big boxing matches, you don't care.
Speaker 2: People want entertainment that I don't think anyone like I like. I prefer that, you know, I don't like it. I tuned in. I see the excitement, the entertainment value for me is like, I just can't.
Speaker 3: Believe that much hype is behind this. Well, but there's a new champion. The rock was back, lots of cameos. Jason Kelsey came out for a minute. Another undertaker came out. That was cool, yeah, John Cena. Another observation that Rich made off the air. Rich does his best show off the air, and then he comes on the air and forgets all his awesome points. Thanks you said that. For you, the great indicator that you hadn't tuned in in a long time was that people know when to chant and know when to sing along.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's like, uh, you know during everyone's theme song, there's like a point where everyone's like whoa and you're like.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And there's this move that Roman Reigns has and everyone chances when he does it.
Speaker 4: He sits in the corner, how he puts his hands up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, it's like when you go to church around the holidays and you realize you hadn't been there in a long time because they say and also with your spirit, and you're like, oh that's.
Speaker 4: A new one.
Speaker 3: Wait, peace be with you no no longer. And also with you get out of here. It's and also with your spirit. Yes, that's been a thing for a long time.
Speaker 2: Peace be with you, but also with you when everyone at church chimes in and you look around like, yeah, I guess it's been a while.
Speaker 3: That's how you felt watching some wrestling. If you haven't watched in a minute, Peace be with you. And I'm not trying to dump on anyone's fun. Believe you me. If that's what brings you joy, man, lean into it if you have kids especially, But I tried. I gave it a valiant effort, and I was like, yeah, that's why I don't tune in.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 2: I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad you did WrestleMania over the weekend. We'll take a couple of quick phone calls and then we'll talk about tonight as march Man, this culminates with your national championship. Uh, let's go to Mike in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: What's Mike, what's up?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 6: Saying hey, hey man, I agree that it's trash man. I grew up with a wrestling because I'm from North Carolina and they.
Speaker 4: Were like Rick Flair and Dusty Rhodes and all those right.
Speaker 6: And if you want to really hear about the state of wrestling, Jim Cornett has an incredible podcast because you know, he was the manager of Midnight Express and he just tells it like it is. It's garbage, dude.
Speaker 4: I mean that's how I watched. You know, how is his opinion any less than yours?
Speaker 2: Well, he's gonna like it well, and it doesn't matter because there's plenty of people that.
Speaker 4: Do like it, So who cares what you can say. It's like the NBA, Oh it's not what it was. Well, I guess what. The ratings are bigger than ever, you know, like it's with ratings.
Speaker 2: Well, I think our expectations have gone down as a society. How many times do you come in here talking about some new show. I tuned into that show and it stinks to the high heavens, bro, you know, because your ex because your expectations have been But you also glorify the past because there's so much trash that's not true. You watched you know what it would be like watching WrestleMania forty compared to something we watch as a kid. You're like, oh, it's trash now, then you realize, oh, what we watch his Kids was even worse. It's like watching a sitcom from the eighties. What I tried to forty year old dude? Know what I tried to watch? Do you have any expectations? Know what I tried to watch? Maybe a year ago? I turned on an episode of a show I loved as a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're a kid. You have no perspective. You're a dummy. What's your excuse now?
Speaker 2: As an adult? Do you not have adult perspective? I thought it was great. I thought wrestleming was okays. But you can't say when we were kids. When we were kids, we were stupid. Aren't you a little smarter now? When I was a kid, I thought the dumbest kid ever. I see you know what I I'm not going all I'm not gonna argue you don't.
Speaker 4: Like anything as a kid, is my point.
Speaker 2: I thought Balki was the funniest dude on television exactly.
Speaker 4: But but what I'm saying is perfect Strangers sucked? It did? Would you watch as an adult? So tell me that stuff's good now?
Speaker 2: But when a guy like Mike calls up and he's like, oh, it's trash now, it used to be better. Everyone thinks it used to be better, and the reality is most of the time it wasn't better.
Speaker 4: It just wasn't. Hey. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: When I see some of the stuff that Logan Paul does, or these acrobatic guys and the choreography, when I see that, I'm highly impressed. When I see these lumbering jabebronis like the mean event Saturday Night, There is nothing fun about that.
Speaker 4: Nothing nothing. Hey, did you enjoy? Who cares? Anthony in LA? What's up.
Speaker 7: With the Women's league coming up? They're definitely gonna have to hype these women up, and I'm gonna I think they're gonna have to reach into their pockets and they're gonna have to advertise and have to make commercials. They're gonna have to make it fun, you know. I want to I want to see this him versus.
Speaker 8: Her kind of thing like they did in the All Star Game, you know, with the shooting skills, And I think if they make it like that and they kind of team them up with a couple of guys in the NBA and try to make it a dual thing, I think you can really catch the eyes of a lot of fans.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: I think, Uh, Anthony backtrack. At the last hour we talked about the true test is will you care about Caitlyn Clark beyond now?
Speaker 4: And I think there's no shame if you care about the bloodline, and that's more exciting. I don't care what you said.
Speaker 2: I enjoy care about Uh, Dusty Rhodes's son.
Speaker 4: Then I think you can care at least for one game and then the rest is on them.
Speaker 2: I think there's there's no shame in using the men's game as a as an assist right like to me, no way to me. The only way it catches on is if there is some big push. And if there is some well, let's say there was a two on two Steph Curry and Katelyn Clark against so and so and Angel Reese or something. If they did gimmicky stuff, I think he got a shot. I think just presenting the w NBA as it's been presented, but throwing like Caitlyn Clark and Angel Rees in the mix, I think your ratings go up a little bit.
Speaker 3: It back to WrestleMania forty storylines matter. You said, gimmicks, lean into them.
Speaker 4: It works. That stuff works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you may, you may storylines, leaning into these gimmicks. You may be the most you know, Cavino, sound like the most mature guy in the world. But yeah, that's what's odd about it. But because you know what, I'm the most immature guy. But if I can't get into wrestling, Listen, some things are just certain people. But rich, if I had whole that had little boy or little girl that cared. Yeah, just like you talk about blue all the time, you're a grown ass man.
Speaker 3: You like that because your kids love it. I'm sure it's quality. It's not my point. My point is you like it because they like it. I'm not saying never.
Speaker 2: If I have a little kid and he into wrestling, you don't think all of a sudden, I'm gonna be into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure I'll find the joy in it, and I'll be able to put my maturity at the door. I guess leave it there stage again, give me something else.
Speaker 2: You could tie the weekend altogether. You could tie Caitlyn Clark and WrestleMania together.
Speaker 7: In that.
Speaker 4: Storylines and drama well.
Speaker 2: And gimmicks will get eyeballs, whether it's women's basketball, whether it's.
Speaker 4: Kaitlin Clark needs a cool manager. Mister Food.
Speaker 2: She needs, she needs Paul Hayman, she needs you know, she needs, she needs someone hyping her up. But the point is, whether it is wrestling or women's basketball, storylines always win.
Speaker 4: Why Why Why does the NFL rule the world of sports?
Speaker 2: Because every day there's a storyline about some player and his team and someone's unhappy, someone's under delivering. Is this quarterback getting paid too much? Is this There's always a story. The NFL has countless storylines and gimmicks and things going on.
Speaker 4: WNBA.
Speaker 2: I think they need to not make it, Yeah, make adjustments. I think they need to figure out what do we do now? For the first time ever, we have a graduating class that's going to enter this WNBA league that for the most part, people don't care much about. How do you get people to care the way they've never cared before? Gimmicks, drama, promotion, social media really sell these personalities, Yes, rivalries like you gotta do something because as of right now, I don't know one person.
Speaker 4: And you got to market to younger people future of the league.
Speaker 2: Danny g you know a ton of people right that watch the women's NCAA tournament. Yeah, do you know anyone that regularly watches the WNBA NAA.
Speaker 4: So with that said, that's the proof in the pudding.
Speaker 2: I don't know what pudding, but the point is no one that I know regularly watches or follows the w.
Speaker 4: N b A.
Speaker 2: A lot of people I know were very emotionally and visually interested in what was going on with the Women's NCAA tournament.
Speaker 4: How do you translate that?
Speaker 2: Break out the marketing directors, break out the promotional people. Figure it out. Because you have an opportunity that will not last for ever. Because if Katelee.
Speaker 3: Clark I would say, if you've got ideas keeping yourself, you're not getting paid for it.
Speaker 2: INDI ena Indiana fever in the NFL. I guarantee if you asked one hundred grown ups, what's the Indian scene for that? The Indiana fever? No, I'm anti VAXX with the INDIANAFA. Now, if you would have asked one hundred people Steve Harvey style family feud. We asked one hundred people, what is the name of the the Indiana WNBA team.
Speaker 4: I bet you're fifteen out of one hundred people would have known.
Speaker 5: This morning you called them the Sparks.
Speaker 4: I go one to the Indiana No, I wait, that's an LA team.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: People don't know. They know now they step one.
Speaker 3: It takes that that again, that one person sometimes to get you to care.
Speaker 9: You're right about the marketing though. Look at what's going on with the Las Vegas aces. They've sold out their tickets. We were just in Vegas recently. You see billboards and marketing all over the place. They've created a scene there in the arena for those games. It starts right there.
Speaker 4: Danny g.
Speaker 3: Anytime someone brings up Bruno San Martino or some old school wrestling guy, Rich couldn't give a Diddley squad about it. It took Hogan and to tie it together. Is Caitlin Clark that person? It took Hogan and Andre the giant. Is Caitlin Clark and someone in the WNBA already or Angel Reese?
Speaker 4: Is that matchup still intriguing? Is that what it takes? It took Magic and Larry Bird.
Speaker 2: People, It took Magic Johnson Larry Bird to take the NBA to the next level. The NBA, as people love to point out, the NBA was on tape delay. Who was games? Games weren't always live. The Gracie brothers. If you watched Danny G. You you grew up out here in LA. You know we're around the same major. You're a couple of years old Big Dan Severn in the UFC. Was it the Ken Shamrocks of the world. I'm not sure who it was, to be honest, maybe I chuck with Dell. Maybe you know who was it that put the organization on their shoulders and made it something you had to tune into. Is Caitlin Clark that person? She was for college basketball? Why wouldn't she be in the w NBA?
Speaker 4: Just that all right?
Speaker 2: Because the same way Zion was must watch TV when his shoe was ripping a duke and everyone loved them.
Speaker 4: M he fizzled in the NBA.
Speaker 2: You'll you'll watch a Zion better competition game now. But competitions better, it's not, you know, the domination isn't there Again, we discussed that first hour.
Speaker 3: Is the competition that strong in the WNBA where it shuts down Caitlin Clark? The way the NBA could shut down a Zion that's yet.
Speaker 4: To be seen. But let me ask you, I Danny G who grew up out here in LA.
Speaker 2: Now I know winning time on HBO was an exaggerated docu series not based on all true events, but it was about the Lakers.
Speaker 4: We loved it got canceled, but great show. We all watch it.
Speaker 2: Correct that sentiment, Danny that out here in La NBA games are on tape delay. No one cared as much as they wanted them to. Jerry Buss was almost losing money like they were troubled times. And then Magic Johnson and Larry Bird did they really I mean we were little kids, but is the sentiment that they really did change the.
Speaker 4: Game that much?
Speaker 9: The two of them changed the game, and then quickly after that, Michael Jordan was the second tier of that.
Speaker 3: Dude, It just takes the right people, I think they have. It's how they market it. Hey, hip hop existed before run DMC. It just took them to put it into the stratosphere, to make it mainstream, to take it next level, you know. So it takes those right people at the right time. Takes one person and will be tuning in.
Speaker 2: The thing is we will be tuning in to the Indiana Fever for how long that's on them and on them give us reason.
Speaker 4: So it's like, uh, you know, the world of sneakers, right.
Speaker 2: Sneakers, people, right people to to wear your favorite pair.
Speaker 4: People are wearing.
Speaker 2: Uh, people were in Chuck Taylor's playing basketball and all of a sudden, Michael Jordan, Uh you know again. Yeah, they just say he decides to sign with some running shoe company no one really cared for.
Speaker 4: And now we saw that. You saw that chart. You ever see those moving graphs on social media? I love I love moving graphs.
Speaker 2: And it was the market share of sneakers and like watching Nike come from like nothing to like well by far like ridiculous. So hey, we'll see what happens. Caitlin Clark, she's got the juice. Will you care about the Indiana fever?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 3: By speaking of things that people care about. I know you went to a hockey game. I did, and I want to know if you care after going, because people always say if you don't like hockey, it's because you haven't gone to a game. So I can't wait to hear about your weekend. Plus the eclipse, plus the game tonight. Plus we're giving away prizes today on the DP show. Stick around for some MLB trivia later today. Perfect we got more Cavino and Rich next in for Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing. We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 2: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you blubber list me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years. Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised. Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out Over Promised. And also uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 3: There you go, over Promising, and remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Covino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Joel on the ones and two.
Speaker 3: We got Danny g on the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox with live from Mercedes Benz Studios, Cavino and Rich and for Dan Patrick and the fully Electric EQS. The Dan for Mercedes Benz is innovation on a magnificent scale. I couldn't say magnificent.
Speaker 2: I noticed available with the epic fifty six inch touch sensitive hyper screen. The vehicle is all electric, the feeling is all Mercedes. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash EQS. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash EQE.
Speaker 3: Hope everybody had a magnificent weekend. I hope you enjoyed your wrestled mainiaes. By the way, a lot of people hit me.
Speaker 4: Up, wrestling's better than boxing. Guess what, that's my opinion.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad at you. That you don't like boxing. You can't be mad at me that I don't like fake wrestling. I tried, I watched It's entertaining. Don't if anyone likes real wrestling.
Speaker 2: When you said fake wrestling, do you think people like wrappling collegiate or yeah, I don't think anyone likes No, I love it anyway. Hope you enjoyed all your college basketball. I hope all your baseball teams winning. I hope you're pumped about the eclipse today. We talk about that just for a second, eclipse people, I mean just for a second. That's like a whole discussion. What's your rush? My thought is that there are people that they are going out of their way today, like I saw some.
Speaker 3: I don't know how about our best but spot makes a big event out of it. I mean, it's a phenomenon and it's it's a cool thing to witness. I'm not downplaying it, but to call out of work and make a big deal about it, it's on to me.
Speaker 4: There's people that are headed towards the path of totality. The path of totality, I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I mean listen, people that are interested would say you sound like an idiot, and then people that don't.
Speaker 3: Care, like if you care about the Final Boss, you care about the bloodline between Roman Reigns and the Rock he's caring about the Eclipse.
Speaker 4: Everyone's got different into.
Speaker 3: Everybody has their thing, and Spot would be making fun of you if he was here, our producer of our Patreon and the guy that does all of our videos at Covino and rich Spot. I mean, he had some personal stuff to handle today, but believe you me, he's driving thirteen hours out of the way to be in the path of totality today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and on Friday afternoon he was already wearing his Eclipse sunglasses. He looked like he was going to be in Back to the Future for so.
Speaker 4: He got the Biff Tennants.
Speaker 2: Everybody has their thing, man, listen, God bless you if you're doing it. But again, it just shows we're all different, right What sports you like, what shows you're like, what you're into, that's it. I mean, we just talked about it this past weekend. We all love and hate different things. I do find it interesting, I'll be kind. I find it interesting that there's so many people that are driving hours and hours and hours out of their way to be in the path of totality for an eclipse that you know.
Speaker 4: I found interesting where you are. This is a true thing.
Speaker 2: The eclipse last four minutes and twenty eight seconds. And do you know this song?
Speaker 4: You outlast the eclipse? Is the question?
Speaker 2: No, the song total Eclipse of the Heart is actually four minutes and thirty seconds, so.
Speaker 3: I don't really have that. Wow, that's great. That's a fun fact that you didn't know. You're welcome. I think you should be on a mission. Can you outlast the eclipse in the bedroom today? That's a good one. That's a mission. Chances are probably not, so shout out to jim Eagle. He really loves the show. Hey, Jimmy Eagle, I'm glad you love us. Appreciate you. Thanks for all the feedback at Covino and Rich. Twisty, Jimmy two hats, Jason.
Speaker 2: Stiff, Jimmy two hats sounds like a guy you owe one hundred bucks, because I might because you bet on Caitlin Clark, Yester Villain, Ryan Rep.
Speaker 3: A lot of people hitting us up at Covino and Rich on social media. So I said that Bieber might be someone you secretly f with, right we came back with Justin Bieber. If you're listening to the podcast in the future, you might not hear it.
Speaker 4: There was a meme that went viral over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Danny g super produced and sent it to me and he's like, YO, check this out.
Speaker 5: First of all, I don't sound anything.
Speaker 3: Like that pistachio fan I think started it.
Speaker 4: Not sure who that is? A guy that likes I guess.
Speaker 3: So he says, every sports fan got one player on a rival team they secretly f with. So we figured we'd open it up, give you a chance to confess. This is your confession usher style.
Speaker 2: He's a y'all confession secret lovers.
Speaker 3: If you have a secret love, I don't want to hear about it? And why do we all have them? Is this mean true? It went viral for a reason because a lot of people had an answer. Is there someone you secretly love? And then people look at you little twisted when you do? We were talking fights before, Rich Right, I'm a fight fan. I like baseball. I like the four major sports. You're a fight fan. Wait, you like fights of baseball? US seventy year old white guys.
Speaker 2: I'm a seventy five year old white man deep down in my heart, trapped at a forty year old Latino guys, body, you like fights in basement, you do realize that a lot of Latinos do like boxing, right of course.
Speaker 4: Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Anytime, especially in boxing, the thing with like soccer and boxing, there's a lot of cultural pride involved, yeah, right, a lot of people representing where they come from. You're seeing that more and more in baseball, right, Dominican fans getting behind their Dominican players, Japanese fans supporting their Japanese players, and so forth. When it comes to boxing, a lot of times it's hard to root against your people because they're fighting for your country, for their people. And for years, dude, it was hard for me to get behind Canelo Alvarez because I was such a triple G guy. Now I only bring him up because today's birthday.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Triple Ja nay galofkin Hey Mexican style drama show. I used to love that guy, and I would feel bad if I was going into the barber shop and there was a bunch of vaptos there, right he Oh, you got Canelo this weekend. Sometimes I would feel little bad saying nah, Triple gyah because secretly that's what I rolled with.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: You know, they looked at me, and they assumed they looked at me. They assumed he must be rooting for Canelo, and I'm like, yo, sorry, dude, I was a Triple G guy. I bring him up, like I said, because it's his birthday, But I secretly aft with that dude over any Mexican fighter.
Speaker 4: He was just my guy.
Speaker 2: It just is what it is. So rival players, rival teams.
Speaker 4: Let's hear it. Yeah, who do you have secret love for? Danny G?
Speaker 2: You got you're a hardcore Lakers Dodgers guy. Is there a dude in the past that you're like, yeah, I know, it's like sacriligious place.
Speaker 4: I forgot his number one love the Raiders.
Speaker 5: Raiders right, I was going to go to the AFC West right now.
Speaker 4: Let's hear it, man, this is all confessional.
Speaker 9: I don't thankfully, I don't have to worry about him being in the Raiders' division any longer. But I loved it when Tyreek Hill would catch the ball and cross, you know, all the defenders up and walk into the end zone and of course all the theatrics as he crossed the goal line. And when he moved out of the division, I was like, thank God because I could root for him on the Dolphins.
Speaker 5: He was a receiver. I wished was wearing silver and black.
Speaker 3: You know what, man, and I think there's no crime or shame in that game, Like you're loyal to your team. You're not wearing Tyreek killed jerseys. I think you're out to root for players, though I do obviously can't let the roof for heavy the hell you want? Yeah, yeah, but I'm saying, who do you see? Other times? Yeah, you don't want to admit that because you're so hardcore and loyal to who it is or whatever it is you root for. Who comes to mind for me seven seven ninety nine on Fox.
Speaker 2: As a Dieharden Mets fan in the world of baseball, I gotta tell you played for two teams in the same division now, but I can't deny that when he was a National and now a Philly as a Mets fan, secret, I really enjoy Bryce Harper.
Speaker 4: How could you not, man? No, just could you not?
Speaker 2: I don't know when he's in when he's in a division that, uh, you know, on two teams that were rivals here supposed to hate him.
Speaker 4: But you just can't.
Speaker 2: You're a Yankees fan. You're telling me you don't. There's not a party of the things Big Poppies fun.
Speaker 3: There was a part of me that couldn't deny his greatness. I never really aft with Big Poppy in that way. You never thought Pedro in his prime was like yeah, no, I mean I had to acknowledge and respect their dominance. I didn't like Pedro's Jerry Curle, and I didn't like Big Poppies antics. I just wasn't a fan of them. I couldn't deny him, though I'd be silly to say they sucked. Never, I would never say something like that. I'm trying to think of a guy that I really do mess with though, that that's a rival to the Yankees, Like, yo, man, he's a rival, But I really liked that guy. Any young player on the Orioles maybe, No, there's somebody, you know. When I was talking to Danny g I had one. I was like, yeah, and then I forgot it, So I'll think of it. But is there someone else that you roll with that you're not supposed to roll with?
Speaker 4: You know? I got another one?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 9: I remember you told me you had a Dustin Pedroia posters.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a red sock. I don't think it's a red sock. But there is somebody in MLB. I'm like, you know what, I'm not supposed to roll with that guy, and I do. And it's funny because it's just laundry. Because if they end up on your team, you're gonna love him anyway, of.
Speaker 2: Course, But when they're on the team that just continues to just you know, let your team down.
Speaker 4: There is something frustrating about that.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh, there's another fight coming up on April twentieth, so we're twelve days away. And I used to roll with Ryan Garcia. I'm not saying I don't because I'm rooting for him to win, but more and more as the weeks go on and I see the discipline and dedication from Devin Haney, man, I'm starting to root for that kid personally, Like I'm starting to almost switch teams.
Speaker 2: See, boxing is an odd one to do because because loyalty who we mean to I'm saying, like, if you're a Yankees fan, like I said, I just said out his cultural like pride involved, so you're just even more invested follow guy because he's a Mexican fighter. A lot of times you're rooting for that guy. You know, I'm not saying that it's the be all, end all reason, but you don't think that has something to do with it. We just came back from a fight, we do you think all those Australian guys were there for to watch your Australian guy fight.
Speaker 4: That's just how it is.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I mean, as a guy who rooted for Ryan Garcia, I'm telling you I think I might be pulling for Devin Haney a little harder in this fight.
Speaker 2: Who is the athlete that is on a team you should hate and do hate, but you got like a like a secret admiration for them, a player that everyone that roots for your team hates, but deep down inside you're like, man, I was on.
Speaker 4: My teams like that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Based on this meme, every sports fan got one player on a rival team they secretly f width.
Speaker 4: Here the weekend, let's hear, let's hear your secret.
Speaker 2: Lovers in for the great Dan Patrick, Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Wapp Welcome back to Covino and rich In for Dan Patrick. Day one of the Dan Patrick Hatrick, which means we're here tomorrow and Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Whether you like it or not. Yep.
Speaker 2: If you don't, sorry, yell at Dan Patrick. We got to a bunch already so far. On the show, we talked about the True Test. Caitlin Clark, will you care after yesterday? Are you watching the WNBA next year? Are you now an Indiana Fever supporter?
Speaker 3: By the way, that doesn't come from a place of rooting against anybody or hating. There was a big storyline yesterday of how much hate she was getting unnecessarily.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not where we were coming from, not at all. And it was a wrestle Mania weekend.
Speaker 2: There's people that are trying to see the eclipse today, so a lot of rando stuff.
Speaker 4: Are you more likely to watch the eclipse or Purdue versus Yukon?
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna go Purdue Yukon. She's just saying me too. So right now we're in the middle of your secret lovers, see secretly lovers. There was a viral meme over the weekend Danny g sent it to us. Every sports fan got one player on a rival team the secretly f with, and before I told you, I had somebody on the tip of my tongue, lost them came right back. You know who I secretly f with, Rich I'm a Yankees fan. By the way, eight and two. Congratulations, good start.
Speaker 3: Sean Carlo hit a Grand Slam last night. Did you see that one? Hit a bomb? John Carlo is the bomb. Some good games over the weekend. But you know who I secretly f with, and he's a Yankee killer. Dude, Randy of Rosarina.
Speaker 4: Dude, he's great.
Speaker 2: If you watch that guy, you watch him, You're like, I'm supposed to hate him.
Speaker 4: But he's so good. I would love him if he was on my team.
Speaker 3: I started to f with him when he played on Team Mexico in the WBC. That's when I really zoned in on the guy, and I'm like, this guy so fun to root for.
Speaker 4: He always strikes me as a person.
Speaker 2: Between the playoffs and the World Baseball Classic, He's one of those guys that plays in big moments.
Speaker 4: Plays in big moments.
Speaker 2: He's he's a clutch player that I just think because he plays for the Rays.
Speaker 4: The clutch moments aren't his grandioso. He doesn't have as many clutch moments.
Speaker 2: But if he was on a team that made the postseason year of the year of the year, he'd be a postseason legend type of guy.
Speaker 3: You know who's that type of guy? With Dolas Garcia seemed to be anyway with the Rangers, right stepping up huge when it mattered the most. And by the way, have you seen how jack that dude got Did he get big or jacked?
Speaker 4: Jacked?
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like suspect at this point. It's like, yo, bro trying to bring awareness, like like when Barry Bonds, Like when Barry Bonds came back dudon Jack.
Speaker 3: Yo, he got so big, by the way, So anyway, guys you secretly f with their rivals, but you like him. It was also Mookie Betts for me for a while, again as a Yankees fan, how could you not like the way that dude plays?
Speaker 2: But you also liked eat bowls and these other things too, Like he's just an athlete and just like like a likable guy.
Speaker 3: How could you not like the guy? So those are two that came to mind for me. I mentioned a few boxers. And now we go to your phone calls at the seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. Let's say what's up to Tony and Kentucky? What's up Tony.
Speaker 10: Lovers?
Speaker 6: As a Celtics fan, it was Kobe.
Speaker 10: The loyalty and greatness that he had was just unstoppable. And then also, I'm a Red Sox fan, so to go back on what you said, Derek Jeters heats was the best sore stop in the history of baseball. And I'm not afraid to admit that now that he is.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's awesome a Red Sox fan saying they love Jeter that I respect that, man. I appreciate that as a guy that watched his career and loved every second of it.
Speaker 3: You know some players he mentioned Kobe Jeter. You know when you think of the Jordans of the world, like they transcend all of that, they really just do. It's like because you got to respect greatness and you just gotta love what they do regardless.
Speaker 4: So thank you, man. Go to Kevin in Texas. What's up, keV?
Speaker 11: Hey, what's going on with fellas man? Homeboy right there? Took it for me, dude, I'm a lifetime first man, but every Western seem like every year, but you just you couldn't deny the the you know, the the workhorse that Kobe was man, and it was one of those like I hated it, but hey, man, it was just watching greatness, that's all it was.
Speaker 10: Brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that usually comes down to your watching greatness. You hate it because it's a detriment to your team. But how can you not admire what they're bringing.
Speaker 4: Right, You can't. You can't not admire it. So you know, no what I'll.
Speaker 2: Give you, I'll give you this one. I want to hate him, but I can't. Who has crushed my dreams? Danny more than anyone else in the NFL. Not so much a rival, but a guy that has crushed me two times in the last five years.
Speaker 5: Jimmy g Not making that throw in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Ye, that did crush me. Patrick Mahomes, Yeah, twice.
Speaker 2: Now I'm a forty nine Ers fan and I've seen my team winning in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl two times in the last five years, and that son of a he gets it done. And I want I should hate him.
Speaker 4: How could you not like to the to the core?
Speaker 3: But I'm like, he's one of those that transcends everything because of his greatness.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, and he's a friend of our show.
Speaker 9: You if you don't listen yet in the afternoon time, he comes on our show during the football season, which is awesome.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: As a Niners fan, there have been guys that have stifled my team that I don't care for. Never like Bread when the Packers were beating the Niners. Never really cared for the Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, EMMITTT Smith Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I just like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but those guys are not They don't have the likable factor that of Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the guy that beat my team in the Super Bowl two times in the last five years, I'm like, yeah, I mean, other than cramping me and old Niners fans.
Speaker 4: How do you hate Mahomes? You can't.
Speaker 3: He's hard to he's hard to not appreciate, you know, everything about him is likable.
Speaker 2: I felt that way, and I'm sure, well maybe not a lot of people. I was admired. Brady never got in my way. I'm you know, I'm an NFC guy, But I'm sure there's people that are like, yeah, damn Tombray.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's people now that he's done could look back at, say.
Speaker 9: Well, once he left the Patriots, when he was on Tampa and his personality really came out.
Speaker 5: He became way more likable.
Speaker 3: Hey, rich has a little hule Ca maniac growing up. You ever loved like the Ultimate Warriors? That guy just couldn't admit it. Brandon and Flarida.
Speaker 4: What's up? Brandon? Can you know rich In for dpe.
Speaker 5: Story? Cardinals fan?
Speaker 6: I went to DC whenever Bryce.
Speaker 5: Harper was playing there.
Speaker 8: We got the heckling h him out in the outfield and Cardinals won.
Speaker 5: Anyways, but Bryce Harper man, I love that guy.
Speaker 9: I don't know what it is about him.
Speaker 5: A swagger man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm a Mets fan. I should hate this dude. He's been on the Nationals and the Phillies two teams, and how he embraced Philadelphia. Yeah, but everything about it I think I think remember back in the day he's like, that's a clown question. And how he handles the media, how he handles the fans, how you know, he.
Speaker 4: Puts everything into it.
Speaker 2: That's the one thing, like, even if you hated Jeter, you knew that Jeter put his heart and soul into every game. Bryce Harper feels like every at bat, everything he does, he's out there balling.
Speaker 3: I'm with you on that. There's something about him that makes you respect him, Like even if you don't root for.
Speaker 4: The Phillies, you're like, yo, but that dude he balls.
Speaker 2: It could be a guy that It could be a guy that you didn't necessarily love, like, oh my god, I love this player, but I really love watching him in the nineties, even when he would beat up on my team the Mets, watching Greg Maddox locate his pitches, and there were games I always thought it was great how Greg Maddox could pitch a game under two hours sometimes like he.
Speaker 3: Was just so as a kid surgeon, you had all your Mets starting lineups and one Greg Maddox.
Speaker 2: No, but I really did admire everything that guy did. Rich had, Darryl Strawberry, Gary Carter, Gary.
Speaker 4: Carter, Dway Goodin, and Greg Maddocks. It's my dude right there.
Speaker 2: Uh, we'll take the rest of your feedback and phone calls next, and we are going to get to tonight's March Madness Culmination National Championship One shining moment, and I have a thought about montages and a bunch more. We're going to get to all that coming up right here on the Dan Patrick Show, Covin and Rich filling in is anything you need, anything you want to say at Covin and Rich Life, Mercedes Benz Studio.
Speaker 4: It's Fox Sports Radio