Speaker 1: Welcome to No Dunks. I'm tas Melie here with the Fellows, Skeets, Trey Lee and j D. And we were very excited to have in studio Washington Wizards, beat writer for The Athletic and host of Wizards After Dark, a Wizard's postgame podcast. He used to cover the Thunder. He loves a good pun. Fred Katz is in the building. Fred, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing to be with the guys to do the pun gun. That's just an incredible experience for me.
Speaker 1: We will get to that later. First, we got to start with the sad news, the most important news that rock the NBA on Sunday, and you were down at the Hawks and the Wizards, touching stuff happening all over the place with the violation, the twenty four second violation, eight second violation to start the game, Tray Young wearing the number eight for those two violations and then sharing a stories postgame. Just give us the feeling of what it was like to be in that building.
Speaker 2: It it was so weird because like and I was, I was talking about this with people last night. You when you go through tragedy, you kind of want to turn to things as distractions, whatever those distractions might be in your life, and for a lot of us, it's just sports. And it was weird going to the sporting event, but having that be the opposite of the distraction, having that be the memorial, you kind of didn't know where to turn. And it's weird because everybody you talked to either knew Kobe or knew someone who knew him, knew his family.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was such a just just dark and horrible experience. I think for just everybody involved, it felt like nobody really wanted to be there and how how could you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: After going through it, though, do you think looking back that they should have played the games? Was it therapeutic for people? Was it good for players to just get thrown into the fire to be able to instead of be sitting at home and grieving, to be able to be with their colleagues who were sharing the same experience as them.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've thought about it a lot. I kind of understand both perspectives. Like for Isaiah Thomas, No, like Isaiah Thomas, he was super close with Kobe, and he said after the game that he thought the games should have been canceled, and that's a perfectly legit way to feel. I think everybody kind of grieves in their own way. I'm sure there were players like I think it was Kawhi right who said last night that Kobe would have wanted them to play. So I think everybody just kind of grieves in their own way. Kyrie Irving, you know, missed last night's game for personal reasons, reasons, like everybody just kind of needs to handle it in their own way. I don't know what the league could have done, because it must have been I imagine, just so difficult that Rockets game was about to tip off when when the news came out, and it must have just been so difficult from a logistical perspective to to figure out what to do in such a short time frame. So I don't think it's worth like making any sort of criticism of the league because I don't I can't imagine a way that you could handle that well, you know, so I don't know. I imagine it's different for everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, you've you've already written about the game, your experience there. Do you mind sharing with us here the Player's Tribune story about Kobe that you shared in your article today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love that story.
Speaker 2: So I was I was chatting with with with someone who worked at the Players Tribune like years ago, and I had this conversation with this person like must have been it was. It was years ago for sure, not too long after Kobe wrote to your Basketball. This person told me that, you know, during Players Tribune, it's like the players aren't aren't writing a lot of That's what unbelievable, just hacking away at the computers. It's it's unbelievable that like Kevin Duran is not Walt Whitman.
Speaker 1: I believed Chris Humphrey's swimming stories though I believe I believe he.
Speaker 3: Probably did.
Speaker 2: He probably did Chris Humphreys being a being a legitimate, amazing swimmer and beating Michael Phelps. It is one of the most incredible niche NBA things. But yeah, so the players don't really read that. So they'll do an interview and and a ghost writer will will pennant first, you know, first person, or or maybe they'll write something and they'll get heavily edited and they'll go in and that makes perfect sense because it's all the stuff on there is really well written. So so it makes perfect sense. And uh, this person told me that the the only piece that they ever received, and the person was like, you have to run this. This is perfect, don't edit it. It's beautiful. Was when Kobe sent in to your basketball Wow, and they were like, this is really good. It's Kobe, Like what are we going to do? I guess we just we run it. They ran it and then he turns it into an aimute short and it wins an oscar and it's like this this, and I just think it's so you know, I didn't know Kobe, but I just think it's so from everything that you hear about him, read about him, the way he talked about the mom of mentality is a lifestyle and not a basketball persona. I just I always thought that story was incredible, and so I hit up this person yesterday and I was like, you have to let me tell this story. It is it is such a great way to kind of remember his character, I thought, And so I wrote that yesterday.
Speaker 1: That was phenomenal. It was great in clue that there are stories coming out of that Hawk's Wizard's game as well, just showing how as you said, the mom mentality dedicated to what he did dedicated also now to his in the past few years since his retirement, to his children, and Trey Jung talked about postgame how Gigi Giana, his late daughter now was loving the way Trey Young was playing basketball. So Kobe reached out to Trey Young's trainer and made that connection for Gigi to be able to train with that trainer because he wanted to see that connection. He wanted that for his child. And I thought that was a great story, and that's how their sort of relationship, Kobe and Trey Young's relationship sort of blossomed, and it was great. I don't know how a lot of these guys stood on the podium post game and verbally eloquently were able to tell their stories, but Trey was, and you know, I think it was all in all. I think it was therapeutic and it was very very difficult for people, but I think it was sort of it was a good thing in the end. But we can move on now to a little wizard's talk. What we what we booked you in here for everyone's favorite thing a while ago.
Speaker 3: Wizard stop, Well, I.
Speaker 4: Love, honestly in all honesty that we had because we came in late last night to do the podcast talking about Kobe and trying to wrap our heads around our fields. And like I think, like most people I'm sure listening to this today or whenever they're listening to it, are still like in a funk, sad, obviously grieving. I know I am, But I will say I love seeing Fred Katz's face in this studio. He's got a great He's just a lovable looking guy, smiley guy. So I'm happy that you know, by no means what we're moving on already or stuff like that, but it is a little bit back to business, that MoMA mentality. And I'm happy that you are here today, even around these weird, unfortunate circumstances.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm very excited to be here.
Speaker 2: I think you guys, you guys provide a wonderful experience, which is that you make people laugh when they need to try.
Speaker 4: So we tried to. We got a great Kobe story from le last night asking about the World Cup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm trying. I'm trying to dig it up if I can. If I can, You've got the clip. I've got the clip. I just it's on a drive. I'm trying to see if I can access the drives.
Speaker 3: Oh JD.
Speaker 4: Sorry, you're gonna be.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk. Let's talk some Wizards like Yeah, because it's not as depressing as it seemed to be coming into the season, I think, yeah, fred Zog, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's that's that's that's.
Speaker 1: True because I think there are some likable characters. It has. It has been a positive viewing experience for the casual NBA fan too. They look, they watch some of these games and they say, WHOA, I like these guys. You know, Mura very likable guy. You mentioned the new Isaiah Thomas. There's stories like Davis Burton's, Garrison Matthews. Garrison Matthews. In general, has covering the Wizard's been fun this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it actually has. It has. The defenses is wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred and fifty two On Sunday they gave up to the Atlanta Hawks.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm pretty sure that the Hawks and Wizards have been involved in every one hundred and fifty point games so far this year, so that one of them would score one fifty two against the other is pretty perfect.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's it's wild.
Speaker 2: I mean John Collins had about seven hundred sixty eight dunks in the first three minutes of that game, and I had no reaction to them.
Speaker 3: It's just like, this is what it's supposed to look like.
Speaker 2: But they what's weird about it, and it kind of tells like a tale of expectations and how they affect the way we watch things is that this year's team is pacing to win fewer games than last year's team, which won thirty two. This year they're fifteen and thirty. And yet the vibe could not be more different this year than it was last year. I mean, last year was a really depressing locker room. They kind of had strife at the beginning of the year, and then I thought it just kind of turned very apathetic and going through the motions. By the end of the year, everyone you could tell, was very excited for the season to end. Like everybody, not just the players, just everybody. I think the coaching staff, Scott Brooks, everybody was just like, let's move on to next year and make this happen.
Speaker 3: They tore it down, brought in all new people.
Speaker 2: They have a good locker room now, they get along really well. Look, they don't play defense, but like this is the classic case of just not having defensive ability. They play hard, they try really hard. It's not like last year they didn't play defense because they just wouldn't rotate. Jeff Green had like an eleven game stretch where he didn't have an offensive rebound. He was playing the four for the entire time.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 2: It was demagio, like it was amazing, and like that was the vibe last year, but this year, like, yeah, they're giving up one forty, but they're they're scoring, you know, one twenty five and Jordan McCrae is randomly going for twenty four off the bench, And it's likable personalities and it's just a different sort of feeling, you know.
Speaker 4: Do they talk about their defensive struggles like is just a known thing within the locker room even.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, we're just yeah, yeah, Like I think one of them could be listening to this podcast and hearing everything I just said. Instead of coming up to me tomorrow and being like, what are you doing talking about us like that, they would just be non long be like yeah, right. They're very they're very self aware. I think they've given up enough points that I haven't checked where their defensive efficiency is after last night, But they had the second worst since the NBA started tracking per possession data in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: Going to last night, and.
Speaker 2: I guess after giving up one fifty two, it might have gone out well.
Speaker 1: When David Aldridge, the Great Hall of Famer David Aldridge on the Athletic is using the acronym DFL dead fucking last to explain the wizard's efficiency on defense. That is something. I mean that he used that in a story and I was like that. I said that out loud yesterday while I was reading it. I was like, what, there's something going on, but you said that STREI free and that's what they've been making headlines for the last few years. That's those are the headlines. There's something going on, marching Gortets get into it, John Walllet, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. That must be nice that that's what happened.
Speaker 2: I see people like to read about the drama. I hate covering the drama like I would. It's so much more fun to just be around people who like each other. You know, from a personal perspective, it's more fun to cover positive things, you know, even though they lose, Like Garrison Matthews that was a fun story.
Speaker 3: Yan maheeme hit threes.
Speaker 2: Hitting threes is outraged no one in the world. Okay, So Kevin Arnovitz sat on a podcast not long ago that the most exciting second in basketball is when John Morant's in the air and you don't know what he's gonna do. And I think it's when Yan Mahimi is raising.
Speaker 3: And you know who agrees with me.
Speaker 6: So he's loving it. He's just loving He's like, I got the green light. I'm yan MAHEMI I can shoot any three I want. Is that actually the philosophy? They're like, anybody can shoot, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well he he legit worked really hard on shooting threes for like years and just finally implemented it.
Speaker 3: But he is so proud. He's so proud because he worked so hard.
Speaker 2: At it, and he's so proud, and he gets so giddy whenever he makes a three, and Yan is like beloved as a teammate, and so everyone else is really everyone else gets so excited because they have the same reaction that we do whenever Yon rises for a three, and like he hits you watch him in practice and open gym, and he's just draining him over and over again. This is like a dude who would never step out four years ago, and it's uh, it's it's hilarious, it's great. When he hit his first career three last year, I vividly remember him walking out of the locker room.
Speaker 3: He's got three daughters.
Speaker 2: Him walking out of the locker room with like his young daughter, maybe three years old or so, and he's holding her and I see them from afar and I just see him go, hold up his fingers and go No.
Speaker 3: One, two three. It was one of the most adorable moments I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: How long have you been covering the Wizards now year and a half, year and a half and before that you're covering the Thunder?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: For how long in total for them?
Speaker 3: A little over two years?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you had a little break there where you covered the Celtics.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh, clf taste just to day. I covered the Celtics for.
Speaker 2: As long as one possibly can without covering a Celtics game. I went in the week after they lost in the conference finals and left the day before media day.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was tremendous, But how I guess, like, especially with the Thunder and Westbrook being on that team. Yeah, it is. It completely different, the vibe of the of the locker room, the organization, Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean Westbrook locker room is just totally different from any other kind of locker room, you know where, especially when the media is in there. I'm sure it's different when when the media lea is but when the media is in there, you you almost feel like you have to whisper, you know, you can't distract anything. You have to be as unseen as you possibly can.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 2: I would very rarely pregame even go you know, I had a good relationship with Steven Adams, and I would very rarely even go to Steven Adams's locker pregame, just to ask him how he was doing, to have a conversation with him, because his locker was on the side of the locker room that Russ's was on, and we like, just you don't broach that territory unless you absolutely had to.
Speaker 3: Almost so I would end up pregame.
Speaker 2: If I ever had to talk to anybody, I would go talk to Jeremy Grant or Alexabrinez just because because of the just because of geography. Wow, yeah, it was just a very It was a very different vibe, and that's from a media perspective obviously, but it was, you know, this locker room.
Speaker 3: Is like like loud.
Speaker 2: The Wizard's one is loud and boisterous and much younger, right, and you know they're like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not walking on eggshells.
Speaker 3: No, not in the least.
Speaker 2: Like you can you know, you can, you can have you know, conversations with guys, and just because to me, the the best part of the game is of the job is not like walking up to.
Speaker 3: People and interviewing them.
Speaker 2: It's it's being able to go up to John Wall and being like, you see Zion's debut, how how crazy was that seventeen point stretch? And then John's like it was amazing? And then you're just talking basketball with people who have this unbelievable basketball knowledge, Like how cool is that?
Speaker 3: You know? And so being able to do that is so much fun for me.
Speaker 5: That must have been crazy though, with Westbrook and Steven Adams, because Steven Adams seems the opposite that he'll talk about anything, and he's loose and he's care free. So when you got him there and you got Russell Westbrook there, you still wanted to stay away from from Steven Andrew didn't sort of want to go in and.
Speaker 3: See what pregame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pregame for sure because it just wasn't it wasn't worth making my life more difficult. Usually I could talk to him at another time and that would kind of be it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, it was just it's difficult to.
Speaker 2: Cover a Westbrook team. You kind of have to figure out ways to like, yeah, like you can, you can try to win the battle, but like probably gonna lose the war.
Speaker 5: Do you feel though that Westbrook respected you?
Speaker 3: No, not at all. No, No, very few people respect me, even my mother.
Speaker 2: Wizards.
Speaker 3: I don't blame him for that.
Speaker 5: What was it that Steven just to say at the end of.
Speaker 2: A scrum fairy well, golden horses.
Speaker 3: I asked him once, what say it all the time? I asked him once?
Speaker 4: So good?
Speaker 3: I asked him once what that meant?
Speaker 2: And he said, I don't know, May just trying English.
Speaker 1: Uh, it must be a little bit different, a little different.
Speaker 2: Stephen's a gem now. He is genuinely one of the funniest people I've ever met.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you crossed path with him since you've been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did a story on him like a month and a half ago or so about how he walks around bear for.
Speaker 3: Ye Yeah, yeah, he's he's a character.
Speaker 4: I love that. That could be a story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Stephen Adams.
Speaker 2: That can be because because my story, well, the the story was like it started two and a half years ago because I saw him wearing sandals and shorts in Utah and I was like, what are you doing it? It was in like December or January, and I was like, what are you doing wearing sandals in shorts in Utah? And I was like, I wear sandals and shorts ever everywhere. Sometimes I don't wear sandals at all. I just walk around barefoot. And He's just like sometimes just he just shows up to work sometimes just literally not wearing shoes.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And so it started there and then I just hit up the Thunder and I was like, I really want.
Speaker 3: To do this story.
Speaker 2: All it is is just a showcase of Steven's personality. Like I'm just let's just put a microphone in his face. If I started asking him about feet, he's gonna say some weird stuff. Yeah, So let's just let's just showcase Stephen's personality, and we'll use the barefoot thing as a vehicle to let Stephen be really funny. And the appeal of the story is just going to be look at all of these hilarious quotes from Steven Adams and then nailed it.
Speaker 1: And that's why it was a story. When Chris Paul bought all of his ok See teammates suits and Steven Adams actually wore he actually wore pants. Yes, that was the story because he wore pants. Incredible. All right, let's get back to the Wizards. Just for a brief moment here. He said, everybody is joevial. There is one guy who is frustrated. Bradley Beal, the best player. He's frustrated with the play in general. He did sign a quote unquote contract extension this season. I say quote unquote because it's a year plus a player option. I saw that and I said, okay, he's giving the team sometime to turn things around. But really it's just a one year extension. In all actual he's gonna be there for a while through twenty twenty two, player option for twenty two to twenty three, but he can be traded next year. I just bring that up because he's frustrated. How long can he stay frustrated for? Can this go on forever? Like he's obviously dedicating himself. He talked to Chris Handes this week. He compared himself to Damian Lillard. Does a one team type of guy ideally, but will it boil over it? At some point? Do you think it.
Speaker 2: Will boil over if they start to win? When John Wall comes back next year, that's that's when he's fine. I think he's frustrated because they lost fifty last year and they're gonna lose fifty plus again this year, and he doesn't like to lose. And I don't agree. You know, when Brad said that stuff about being frustrated with the culture, and you know, then he was asked about the culture, you know, hows the culture have to change? And he said, start winning games. I don't agree with the people who compare that to Kevin Love in Cleveland. I think it's okay to sign an extension knowing that the team is not going to be good and then still be frustrated when the team's not good. I don't think that's the same thing as putting on public displays of being pissed off and showing it on the court and letting it affect your play and your leadership. It's different when you just like kind of have a moment when you say it in a postgame interview and doing that on the court. You know, I think you're allowed to be upset when you lose, no matter whether you extended or whether you desperately won out. I think for Brad, his number one choice is like he wants to win in Washington, and he's said it many times. Like I think he's he's big on the on the Dirk thing. Like I think that Dirk title really really affected him in that he's a big believer, Like that one title that Dirk got after being there for what was it thirteen years at the time, Right after being there for thirteen years and they had all those playoff failures and all those struggles, and they go through it and Dirk carries him to a title, like he wants that.
Speaker 4: It's that idea that one title can oddly mean more than win in five or something like that. Yeah, one special.
Speaker 1: Way this week, Yeah, yeah, exactly that.
Speaker 2: So they opened up in Dallas this year and I was talking to him, and I was talking to him just about like the concept of loyalty, and we're there in Dallas, and I was what is what is loyalty to you? And I think he got a little frustrated. He I know, he got a little frustrated with me because I think he thought that I was like questioning whether or not he was being honest and and he said to me, like, no, loyalty is that And he pointed to the Dirk silhouette on the court in Dallas.
Speaker 3: He's like, that's what I want. I want that.
Speaker 2: And I think he's being genuine in that. So I think I think he would like to win the most in Washington. That being said, if they don't get their stuff together and they don't start to win at some point, I don't think and you know this is just me just talking. I don't know if like it's a thing where it's like I'll stay here for twenty years even if we lose fifty games for sixteen of them. I don't think that's gonna be the case. So the Wizards say they want to try to win next year. John Wallace coming back and they're gonna have another high pick and their young guys is you know, the rehatch meurs of the world to get a little bit older, and I think they will be better. We'll see what they do this summer. But but you know, the I would not say the clock is ticking at all with brad Like it's three years. It's it's too early for this. But his his heart is for sure in DC.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's the way he carries himself too. I always forget Bradley Beal's only twenty six. He seems like a more he's a vest right, But in my head, I'm like, oh, yeah, you gotta start thinking about like trying to get that ring. Like he's not in any rush, but he's still very very young.
Speaker 2: He's at the very beginning of his prime. Yeah, he's just a very polished person.
Speaker 3: So he comes off as as older, you know, Lizer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm four years older than him, and I don't I don't feel like like I'm way yet. No.
Speaker 3: I spend like way too much time in my underpants.
Speaker 4: Steven Adams about.
Speaker 1: It, Well, I think the point about just the way he carries himself is important because he also it's important as far as basketball goes, too, because he also doesn't go out there on social media. He's not a talker out there, and so he feels I've heard him talk about his lack of exposure sort of hurts his rep around the league and potentially his All Star appearance. He talked about him not being, you know, pretty low in the fan vote. I think he was ninth overall in guards even though he's a two time All Star and balling out this year again because he's a great player. Do you think that lack of exposure sort of hurts his rep around the league or is it just sort of with fans And I guess you can go into whether or not you think he'll be named a reserve on Thursday when TNT announces the All Star reserves.
Speaker 3: I do think he'll be named a reserve.
Speaker 2: I think the coaches tend to reward the guys who have been.
Speaker 1: There, so I ranked they you know, the players ranked him extremely high. The fans obviously did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I think I don't know. It's hard to say if it hurts his rep around the league because he did finish second the player vote, But at the same time last year, he was the last pick in the All.
Speaker 3: Star Draft, and so it's a weird.
Speaker 1: DC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it mean, I mean, look, DC, it's weird because DC is a great high school basketball market, and yet the Wizards fan base is not too large and is not that passionate, and so you know, the Wizards have to be really good to get a lot of national TV games and that kind of stuff. I don't know how much that affects players. I feel like players tend to a big difference between players and fans. As players, I think more so tend to prioritize the guy who can just square.
Speaker 3: You up and get a bucket against you.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And Bradley Beal can definitely hex averaging twenty eight a game, and he's running an offense that we all thought didn't have very much talent coming into the year and is in the top half of the league in efficiency now yeah, and can doubled every single game. And yeah, so I think the players, I would say, the players do respect him because of the way the coaches game plan against him, because the way the players guard him. Because he was second in the player vote, I mean that's probably the best example.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but not being famous has to hurt him in the fan vote. Yeah, I mean, just I mean, you know, not being famous comparatively obviously, but he also, like I I think I don't think it bothers him that much because he doesn't go out of his way to do this stuff. Like he he doesn't really care that much about going and doing national commercials and and being really famous and trying for He.
Speaker 3: Really likes memes. He does. He does enjoy being memes. He enjoys.
Speaker 4: So he must have loved the whole interaction you have with the fan right shot and gave classic look.
Speaker 2: He he recreated it with the Wizard's Twitter account right and yeah, yeah, he he enjoys being memed. I don't think he'll ever say it out loud. No one becomes memes that often and doesn't doesn't, you know, isn't in on the joke. So he definitely enjoys that. But other than that, like he's he's not trying for for massive national deals like he just he's not very attention seeking, which makes him that's I think that contributes that you know, polished personality and stuff and makes him kind of a not very celebrity type personality and certainly makes him more relatable. But you know, also it's not going to make him as famous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did see him. He was pissed about the fan vote. But yeah, you're right. I mean, I guess he's not into but he's just not into the whole. Hey, I'm on Instagram.
Speaker 2: No, he's just like a He just wants to hang out with his family, hang out with his kids, hang out with his fiance.
Speaker 3: A good wholesome fun.
Speaker 1: Speaking of his fiance, he had a baby a couple of years ago. I think he's got two under two now, and he said he gained a lot of sympathy weight. You gained You actually joined the Wizards right when he had that child, so did you. He said he gained twenty pounds of pizza and ice cream. That's what he said. It was just late night pizza and ice cream. Did you see that in in the Panda? In the Big Panda.
Speaker 2: You're gonna ask me if I gained sympathy for a second. I've been I've been gaining unintentional sympathy weight.
Speaker 3: For years, sympathy for everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're ready.
Speaker 3: So much bad stuff in the world, guys, I need ice cream? Did did I know?
Speaker 2: I did not notice the the sympathy waight?
Speaker 3: I wish I wish I had what a question would that be? In a scrum postgam follow up?
Speaker 1: The defense.
Speaker 3: Is that Ben and Jerry's Brad. We've we've seen recently.
Speaker 4: You know John Wall pre game he's working out. You know you see the clip. Well John Wall still looks amazing. What what is the latest on on him coming back from the jury. Where what do we know or what do you know? As the Wizard's Peede.
Speaker 2: Reporter, I I still don't expect him to come back this year. I think when he comes back, he wants to be like back and there's no rush. It's not like they're pushing for the playoffs. And I think one thing that we have to remember, and it's really important, is that when people watch him and he's going against player development staff or whatever it is, and it's it's fun. It's really cool to watch that kind of stuff and be able to sit there and like watch John Wall when we have our you know, our camera phones up, watch John Wall dunk and then stare us down because he just kind of misses performing as a basketball player. You know, like that's always a fun experience. But when you watch that stuff, you have to remember it's it's not just about the achilles healing, they have to work on everything else. Like DeMarcus Cousins is the saddest example of this, right where he comes back from an achilles and then has a compensatory injury. And so it's not just about like healing the achilles. You're subconsciously doing so much other stuff with your body. You need to get into you know, premiere shape, and on top of that, you need to it's not just like having a six packs. It's it's realizing that you're actually subconsciously putting fifty three percent of your body weight on one side when you used to put fifty and that makes you more likely to an injury on the other side. You know, there are all these things that you have to sort out. And I don't think anybody, John Wall included, really wants to have him rush back and then have another bad thing happened to him. So I don't think. I don't think John is. I don't get the impression that John is pushing them. I have to come back. I have to come back, and I don't get the impression that they're they're pushing him. I think everybody involved, you know, from the doctors to the team to John himself wants to be as as cautious as possible. That's why, even though I think it's possible, we get to a point at the end of the year where like in March, it's like John Wall can technically play basketball. I don't predict that he's gonna play.
Speaker 4: So you think at the start of next season is.
Speaker 3: What I think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, his rehab from everything I hear and everything I see is right on track. There don't seem to be any It seems the timeline seems to be pretty pretty much what they expected. So yeah, I would everything I hear it seems like he'll be back for next year.
Speaker 6: They're planning on winning. You said next year. They hope to win at least next year. They got y Meheemei shooting threes this year, No big deal. What's the team gonna be like then when Wall comes back, because he'll be somewhat diminished as a player missing a season and a half. In that same time, Beal has become an All Star. He'll probably make the All Star Game twice. Since John Wall has been out. There were rumors of those guys not getting along in the past. You know, there was the big blow up at practice with Beal when he was upset. Then Beal seems like he should be the number one guy when John Wall gets back. But Wall also doesn't seem like a guy that's just gonna be chilling in the corner waiting for somebody to kick him the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how's that gonna work.
Speaker 2: I also think people always talk about it from personality perspective. There's just the style, like just the stylistic one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean John Wall and Bradley Beal had stylistic contrasts the last time that John Wall was healthy, right, And we talked about just from a basketball fit, not a personality fit. And I actually do think I've only been on the beat for a year and a half and it's plausible their relationship ship has has progressed and improved during this time.
Speaker 3: But from I.
Speaker 2: See them together a lot, and they seem to get along really well. And I personally have not witnessed the relationship stuff that was put out about them before, but it's always possible, like when when guys stopped playing together, they just treat each other as people and not basketball players, And that's still just getting older for sure, and that that stylistic contrasts in the court just doesn't come into play in the relationship one bit, you know, And and I think they both like each other as people a lot on the court, though stylistically, the last time Brad, John and Brad played together when John was healthy, and like I don't consider last year John being healthy because he played through the bone, spurs and everything. Brad was a different player, Like he wasn't he wasn't running as much pick and roll. He wasn't the guy who was getting doubled off the dribble, He wasn't getting to the rim all the time. He was much more of the catch and shoot guy that he was when he came into the league. And so it's not even that John Wall and Bradley Beal have to kind of get back to playing together how they did before. John almost has to relearn who Brad is because he's a different player than he was two or three years ago. He just has a different skill set and plays a different style and is best when you use him a different way. So I think it's possible, especially in twenty twenty, like we've seen, the more ball handlers, the better, Like that is the way you optimize your offense. You won as many ball handlers and creators on the floor. So I believe, like as a basketball person, that the more ball handlers you can add, the better. But you need you need a coach who's going to be able to sort that out. Well, you need players who are willing to figure out how to contribute in other ways. And that means you know, John Wall figuring out how to be effective off the ball. You know, cut better and maybe improve his jump shop, but specifically cut better. People don't realize and I didn't realize this started covering John. John is a basketball It is crazy talking about basketball with him.
Speaker 3: So I think he has for.
Speaker 4: Sure in a sense one of just like he knows every playing.
Speaker 3: It's the Lebron stuff and how Lebron like tracks back.
Speaker 4: Plays eight games ago or yeah, eight years ago, and in the fifth game of the season, we did this, and then they counter.
Speaker 2: With that, yeah, yeah, I can tell you what all ten players did on the floor, can tell you why they did it. It's it's almost like it's almost like, you know, when like a great lawyer can argue either side of any case. That's kind of John. You watch him make this kind of like reckless turnover and he will give you an extraordinarily in depth ex's nose answer why he made that turnover, and you're like, yeah, but it's still your turnover. But he had such an intelligent reason for doing it, and he knows so much more than I do.
Speaker 3: So I don't really know what to think of this.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of an amazing experience covering him in that way, and so I think John for sure has the intellectual capacity to figure out how to be better at moving off the ball and that stuff. I mean, we'll see how it meshes when they're back. I don't know, but I do think there's a world in which they figure out how.
Speaker 3: To make it work.
Speaker 1: It is one of the more fascinating relationships in the NBA because the casual fans will say, oh, they don't like each other, but Bradley Beiald signs on and he must believe that it can work to some degree. And he did mention it, as Skeet's mentioned there, that the maturity will help them point blank, and maybe maybe he mentioned that this week to Chris Hanes because they have been off the court and been buddy buddy, but they've won playoff rounds together but they haven't gone to a conference finals, and it seems like watching it, you know, us watching it. These two guys, they're just so good and as you said, every team is running multiple ball handlers right now, like they should be great and it's going to be I guess on coach Scott Brooks to make it happen. And let's talk about Scott Brooks. Is his job secure for how long?
Speaker 3: Is it secure for it?
Speaker 1: Do you think because of this year? It's gotta be.
Speaker 2: Yes, It's fine now. I have no worries about him right now. Whenever there's a GM change in the GM and the coach stays, there's always the question of, like does he want to hire his own coach. I do know Tommy Shepherd, who they hired last summer, and Scott Brooks have a very good relationship, and Tommy Shepherd was the assistant GM when Scott Brooks was hired. The two of them have known each other for a really long time. So I don't anticipate anything happening soon. I don't know, Like I just I couldn't tell you. People ask me, like people ask me that question all the time, what about this summer? It's like I don't know that would entail predicting the future, and I just have no idea. I can tell you for now, Scott Brooks is fine and that he's got another year on his contract after this one, and I don't anticipate anything happening this season, and then this summer will well, you know, just like any coach entering the last year on his contract. We'll see what happens. But you know, you talk to people around the league and people inside the Wizards, and I think people are pretty happy with the job that Scott's stune with this team. They play, they play really hard, and they've somehow him and assistant coach Robert pak who runs the offense, they've they've crafted this this offense with yan Maheeme bombing, bombing threes, yan Mehimi bombs yeah ma three and me he has he has four times.
Speaker 3: As many threes in his career as Ben Simmons right now.
Speaker 5: Well, but it's been more than just jan it's playing that the.
Speaker 2: I mean, but that's like props to their coaching staff, right for real life. They they use Berton's totally. The Spurs would park him in the corner if he took some of the shots he's taking on the Spurs, Pop would have him parked at the end of the bench. He'd never see daylight ever again. Right, So, Like, I think it's those sorts of things they've got to They had an offense that was top five in the league until they had all those injuries. So I think I think people have been really impressed with the way they're running offense and that kind of stuff, and Scott Scott Brooks gets some of the credit for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's also had to just because of the injuries, had to have some of the craziest lineups. Like I mean, I like caught myself seeing it the other day, Like, all right, is Isaiah Thomas, Gary Payton the second then Beale Bonga. He Like, what a weird lineup that is, just to say here in twenty twenty. Yes, but he's been forced to do it. Gotta get a little creative. Obviously, he's got the long leash because of this sort of year is a bit of a quote unquote, you know, sort of a wasted year with the John wall injury. But you know, we were talking about some of these guys, your Burton's and you know, Hachamura and stuff like that. For the injury. Has there been one in particular to impress you the most? It is it Jordan McCrae is as somebody else that's like maybe just shocked you, and you're like, wow, I didn't know this guy could play this.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: I mean, does Burton's count Yeah, yeah, I mean if if Berton's counts, then it's then it's Burton's.
Speaker 3: Because I didn't.
Speaker 2: Realize he was Everyone knew he was a great shooter, yeah, and there was that like niche movement in San Antonio that he should have been part of the three point Contest last year, But I don't think anybody knew that he was just gonna be like bombing from the logo all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also didn't know that he's the most confident man in the world.
Speaker 3: Really, Oh my god, Yeah, it is wild.
Speaker 2: I asked him he hit one from the logo one night, and I asked him after the game, how far out for you?
Speaker 3: Is too far out? And he said, I haven't found out ye.
Speaker 5: Perspective.
Speaker 1: So is he going to be there in Chicago at the three point Contest?
Speaker 3: Do you think I'd be surprised? I can't imagine they wouldn't have him like he.
Speaker 4: He and he would do it in a in a second.
Speaker 2: It sounds like I feel comfortable speaking on behalf of him. He will accept that so quickly and answer that thing so confidently.
Speaker 5: And quicker than anyone else has ever done it before. He'll get get through his recks and.
Speaker 3: You think his release is so quick.
Speaker 2: I'll have some story on his shooting at his confidence at some point soon.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's really.
Speaker 2: Funny because he's a super nice guy and it comes off as very It's never like some people are are confident in the great others and he just is so confident in the shooting. But it makes sense, like how unreasonably confident? How unreasonable is it to start practicing shots from the logo right as if as if they're game shots?
Speaker 3: Who would say, who would spot up.
Speaker 2: From forty feet and be like, you know what, I feel like there's a reasonable chance I'll be able to do this in a game one day.
Speaker 3: Let's get it's not like, yeah, it's not like one day he just received the ball in a game at the logo. I It's like I'm gonna shoot it. Oh, I made it.
Speaker 2: I guess I'll shoot these now he practiced those forever. Like who the the unreasonable amount of confidence that you have to have in order to just start practicing those is beyond me.
Speaker 6: Did the team know that Burton's was going to be like this or did he come into training camp and they're like, this guy's crazy, because I'm like, you're saying, people knew in the Spurs he could shoot, but he's not like coming around screens thirty feet out and pulling from there, pulling on the brake, that sort of thing. Was it like in training camp They're like, well, we gotta we gotta find here on our hands.
Speaker 2: I think it was a little bit of a mix because he kind of played this way in Europe and they have a major, major European scouting staff now. Tommy Shepherd, who's their new GM, has a lot of experienced scouting in Europe and really loves European players, And they just hired a new head of pro personnel, Johnny Rodgers, who is one of the most respected international scouts in the league. Used to live in Barcelona and.
Speaker 3: Actually played college basketball with Scott Brooks.
Speaker 2: And I think part of their reason for liking him, I mean they got him basically for free. So you can get a good player for free, you get him for free. But I think part of the reason for liking him was because of how he played when he was in Europe. He'd run off screens more and kind of play this style a little bit more. But I don't know if anybody realized, like, oh man, this guy is gonna have one of the two or three best shooting seasons in the NBA and like one of the ten best shooting seasons in the history of the league as soon as we get them. I don't know if that was.
Speaker 4: But you think and they're like, because of the way he played in Europe, they're probably in their minds like he's just in the Spur system. You know, they got boxed up a little bit. We can unleash him. Maybe, Yeah, I think they're probably hoping for that.
Speaker 2: I think there was some of that because he did play that way in Europe, So I think they and they knew that they saw that, But I don't know if they were like, yeah, let's let's have him take nine threes. Yeah, and and he's gonna make four of them, and and he's just gonna be pulling up from thirty five. I watch him in practice and he just does catch and shoot drills from thirty five feet and he hits all of them, and it's crazy, like you can see the range in a open gym, but.
Speaker 3: It's just wild.
Speaker 5: Against the Hornets, he hit like I he was eight for right, wasn't he? And he was just like the ball was just cut crossing halfway and he was just letting go of it, you know, I mean, like to get that hot. You know, not a lot of guys can get quite that hot where they're just like as soon as I get the ball, I'm letting it fly. But I guess in the system with Washington as well, he's got that opportunity this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that in that Hornets game, Yeah, hit eight threes. And then that Hornets gam they started after his fifth one or so because he get he gets when he hits them, he hits him in bunches and and so they started picking him up like behind half court. And there was a play where he's I think it was his A three of the game, where he just crosses half court and the Wizard just passed it to him and there's a guy right in his face and he's a few feet in front of the half court line on I guess it's technically the wing if I had to choose an area of the court, but it's like off the wing, and and he just puts it up in the hand of his face with nineteen seconds left on the shop clock. No, no, no reasonably minded human being would ever try this.
Speaker 1: Ever, he's shooting almost nine threes. Game is as he said, it's always good to remind yourself. The guy is on fire out there.
Speaker 3: And he's a big dude, huge yeah, like sixteen. Yeah, he's like six ten.
Speaker 4: Because in your head, like a shooter, you're like, oh, okay, he's like six six six seven. It's that tip, you know. I don't know, that's where my mind goes.
Speaker 6: You're like, no, this guy's or if you're a six' ten, shooter you're Like Steve novak and you're just. Waiting you're just waiting for somebody to take you the. Ball you're not moving all around the court and. CHUCKING i, mean he's on a tiny deal seven million this year and it. Expires he's been in trade rumors enough that it's like you're just looking at a team that's not doing very well in The, wizards and he's playing, well maybe we can try to get. Him but it also seems Like burton's is the exact kind of player that you would want to keep Around John wall And Bradley. Beal so what's their thinking coming into the trade deadline? Here are they going to look to Move burton's because that seems a little silly to.
Speaker 2: Me, NAH i they they insist that they do not want to move, him And i'm inclined to believe them BECAUSE i THINK i think when a team doesn't want to move, somebody even when it's, genuine you, know they start to leak out like we don't want to we don't want to move this. Guy you, know sources say The wizards really want to Keep Davis, burton's Except Tommy shepard just came out in an interview and put his name on. It it was, like, no we don't want to trade. Him we intend to keep. Him it's all just working out the numbers from. Here so when YOUR gm just comes out and says that in an, interview that just kind of puts an end to it all of a. Sudden now he has to like not just go back on his. Word it's not like he told him that, personally he has to go back on his word. PUBLICLY I i'm going to put it within the realm of possibilities they trade him because there are only so many players that you just can't, get you just you, know that are totally, untradable that there is not a fair offer out there for you to. Get if somebody calls them up and offers Them Karl Anthony towns For Davis, berton's they might consider breaking their. Word but BUT i don't think, REALISTICALLY i think there's a very small chance they want to pay. Him like they want to pay him so.
Speaker 4: They see him probably a part of the.
Speaker 2: Future, yes they they like What trey, Said like they are gushing over the possibility of him playing With john, right they are. EVERYONE i, Mean Scott brooks is, dying Sciating Bradley. Beal Bradley beal said he's the best shooter he's ever. Seen Bradley beal is dying to see him play next to you, know play with him And john at the same. Time he, Is he's a he's a perfect think all the Shooters John wall's gotten Paid, yeah, yeah, Right Jared dudley And Martell webster And Trevor reza and all these, Guys and think about how much better of a shooter and an off ball Mover Davias burton's is than than all those.
Speaker 3: Guys Jarreed.
Speaker 4: Temple, yeah so he's gonna get.
Speaker 3: Paid he is gonna get. Paid he's gonna get paid Before John.
Speaker 2: Wall BUT i, COULD i could see them being really good, together even If John wall is you, know eighty five percent of what he. WAS i.
Speaker 3: COULD i could just See John.
Speaker 2: Wall Like Kirk goldsberry tweeted out something the other day That John wall since like twenty fourteen or twenty, fifteen is still fifth in THE nba over that time of creating corner threes and he's missed like one hundred and fifty games during that.
Speaker 1: Span so people would want to play With John wall the. Player people would want to play With Bradley beal the. Player it would seem like an attractive. Situation you've been on the beat for a year and a. Half, there you've been to okayc you had a couple coffee with The. Celtics would you do you think.
Speaker 3: Is it's like a Mellow atlanta.
Speaker 1: Situation it's it's a huge, city but it's not looked at as a desirable. Destination do you think it is for free?
Speaker 3: Agents probably, not because nobody's. GONE i love. IT i really like D c a lot to, do good food. SCENE i don't.
Speaker 2: Know i've never heard AN nba player say, like, yeah you, KNOW i signed here BECAUSE i went to The air And Space museum and it was just. Beautiful Amelia earhart exhibit was unbelievable AND i just had to.
Speaker 3: Go i've never heard.
Speaker 1: That SO.
Speaker 3: I i love D.
Speaker 4: C But Steven adams ever signs In Washington hills something like.
Speaker 6: That they got to get a history buff or something like.
Speaker 3: Museums, yeah that's.
Speaker 2: True Bradley beal likes it a lot. There, yeah obviously wouldn't. Stay And i've heard guys who were there Like burton's loves, It burton's family loves. It Like i've heard guys who are there talk about how once they get, there they're, like this is such a great. CITY i don't really want to. Go but you know how MANY nba cities are really ones that guys sign.
Speaker 3: With for the. City it's very. Few it's Like New, York, La.
Speaker 2: MIAMI i, mean we talked About boston in this way, forever and then they Signed Gordon. Hayward Now, horford now we don't talk about it this. Way it's, LIKE I i feel Like boston AND dc are kind of aligned as similar types of, cities but they're really only like three cities that we consider destinations Unless i'm, forgetting Like chicago doesn't get, anybody and That's, chicago you.
Speaker 1: Know, YEAH i Guess i'm including sort of the, backcourt like those dudes as a bit of a magnet for free. Agents, YEAH i, WOULD i would think they.
Speaker 2: Are maybe this comes back to the to The Bradley beal attracting players type of, thing, Right like maybe this is all part of the, same the same. Conversation LIKE i don't know if If brad is, UH i don't know If brad. Recruits he's made jokes about wanting to recruit guys to D c. Before they also just haven't had the cap. Situation yeah, Yeah like when was the last time they they had legitimate cap? Space and if they want to Resign, Bertons i'm not going to have it this year. Either they've just kind of been capped out for a. While they've had big, contracts say they haven't really had the situation to make those big signings. Either they tried to get Al horford h he ended up opting to go To, boston tried to Get, durant tried tried To durant ended up getting Those mahimi threes.
Speaker 3: Instead get one way or.
Speaker 2: Another but, yeah like twenty, sixteen that was the last time that they really had any, space you, Know, yeah and it did not work.
Speaker 1: Out. YEAH i wonder if that changes With Bradley beal signing an, extension whether or not he's going to. Recruit but it also depends on the cap. Room that's a good. Point you're we're talking geography a little. Bit let's get to uh Some japanese geography Because Scott brooks is very popular In. Japan, WHY i don't, KNOW i guess Because ruymura is on the. Team have you have you talked To Scotty brooks about his his, fame His japanese.
Speaker 3: Fame, yes YES i. Have it's it's a really weird, thing.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah it's BECAUSE i, asked, uh the guy who who runs like The japanese social team for The, wizards who the second most like Behind, ruey who's the guy everybody really likes In.
Speaker 2: JAPAN i was certain he was gonna Say Bradley, bealeah, certain and it was Like Scott, brooks they love. Him and he said they think of him as a great father. Figure, wow fans think of him as a great father.
Speaker 3: Figure AND i was, like all, right, sure seems like a kind.
Speaker 2: GUY i think he's a he's a very kind. Guy like he thinks they think it's a great mentor To.
Speaker 4: Ruy, YEAH i guess that's what they're Gonna, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And AND i was.
Speaker 2: Certain it's like it's Like Ruy hachmar at the top and Then Scott brooks and it's like nobody.
Speaker 5: Else matters in the line there, though BECAUSE I Nick, fredell who used to cover The, bulls he went To australia one time Where, chicago The Chicago, bulls because of The jordan, era are the most popular, team and he said when he got To, australia people were fascinated With Nick, Fridel SO i.
Speaker 4: Mean fascinated with his.
Speaker 5: Voice, yeah well that's. True but there's a whole lot of untapped market for Fred katz In.
Speaker 3: Japan there might.
Speaker 2: Be there might be you have to find, out but there might.
Speaker 3: Be it's.
Speaker 4: Plausible what's what's really been like covering him in his first year.
Speaker 2: Here, uh he already comports himself like a.
Speaker 3: Veteran, yeah he.
Speaker 2: Is he's very, quiet very, quiet really keeps to himself a. Lot he's very, bright but he's kind of hard to get to, know to be, honest because, like there's some guys you cover who are just like these big Personalities jordan, McCrae who will come up to anybody and start making jokes at anybody in the. World and then there's the opposite end of the spectrum Where rui's just this very quiet kid who kind of just keeps to himself and wants to come in and play basketball and work hard and treats everybody. Well he's just kind of, quiet and you can walk up to him say, really how you do, it and he'll, Say i'm, good how are? You and and he kind of just moves on with his day from.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: Uh and it's it's funny to be around him because BEFORE i had met, HIM i hit up a bunch of PEOPLE i knew who knew, him you, know with The wizards or a couple People, gonzaga and so many people compare him To. Kauhi like there were People chauncey compared him To kauhi the, player BUT i mean like compared his personality and work ethic and that kind of. Stuff AND i don't Know, kuhi but From kauhi's, reputation LIKE i, SEE i see that he's he's very, quiet and he's very reserved and he just kind of wants to work hard and play basketball and do a good job and be a pro and and just kind of leave, it leave all the other stuff out of. It and SO i very very much see that from a personality, standpoint.
Speaker 4: And off to a great, START i mean before the. Injury, unfortunately he's, Talented, YEAH i mean it was putting up decent numbers For he's.
Speaker 2: Really interesting in twenty twenty because he. Is he might just be one of those dudes who breaks the numbers from mid, range where like he takes a lot of mid range, shots but maybe they're just good shots for. Him he's shooting a ridiculous percentage on mid range pull, ups which like rookies just don't. Do, yeah and he's got to get better at a lot of, things passing and scoring around the rim and shooting threes and, defense all that kind of. Stuff but he's he's very fluid and for sure really. TALENTED i think it's going to be a really interesting.
Speaker 1: Player there's a couple of small guards on this. Team you Mentioned Isaiah thomas And Ish smith as. Well is it neat being sort of eye level with a couple of basketball. Players i'd imagine it is just to have a couple guys around that or you, know sort of your.
Speaker 2: Height it's, uh it's it's it's good for my, neck good for the good old. Neck looking up all the, time like there's a great story to be written ABOUT nba writers and.
Speaker 3: Their struggles with.
Speaker 2: Whiplash were just constantly looking up and scrums all the.
Speaker 4: Time and then they only respect taller guys Like Trey kirby more the players. Do i'm convinced they got no time for us, five, ten eleven of the. World they want to see the six four to six, Fives, like, yeah, okay this guy's. TALL i respect this, guy gets.
Speaker 2: It but it's, funny is like the big guys consider themselves almost like normal height and then in a figurative, sense look down on everybody like like they would Consider trey, short Like Steven, adams would Call trey short and genuinely think of him as, short not not comprehend that he is the large one in the. World you, Know, hey WHEN i was WHEN i was in college At, SYRACUSE i was ABOUT i was a manager on the basketball, team AND i was about half an inch or an inch taller Than Johnny. Flynn, wow great, Dude Johnny, flynton very upset that he he had the career that he. Had qu awesome, dude amazing. Leader AND i was rebounding pregame And johnny was walking by and a ball like ricocheted to, us AND i kind of grabbed it with not realizing he was, there and just kind of handed it over to, him and he kind of gave, me gave me like a like a joking intense look from me still in the rebound from, him AND i made a joke about being taller than. Him johnny such a nice, GUY i, mean like unbelievably nice, Guy like would go out of his way to lead that entire, Program like the way people talk about Like Damian lillard was kind of HOW i viewed him as like a leader in that locker.
Speaker 3: Room it was.
Speaker 2: Incredible he was like an incredible guy to. Watch it was a year old in me and it was. Amazing but he had this wild competitive. Streak SO i made a joke about his height and he looks at me and, SAYS i will give you a trampoline and still dunk on.
Speaker 4: You are you still playing it?
Speaker 3: On oh my, God i'm, terrible but. Terrible, yeah, yeah, terrible.
Speaker 4: But you're.
Speaker 3: PLAYING i.
Speaker 4: Try, okay good for.
Speaker 3: YOU i attempt.
Speaker 5: To just before the other guy's turned up this, morning we're talking off off the mic BECAUSE i assumed you were AN la guy because you started there at The Clipper. Blog but you told me From New york AND i was, like how does A New york kid become a work for The clipper? Blog BECAUSE i thought it was a funny. Story SO i tell you guys how that all, Started.
Speaker 3: How it became A clipper.
Speaker 2: Friend, Yeah Eric, Paikowski, Yes Eric paikowski In Kobe BRYANT nba Court side ninety, Eight killer shooting for, him just dran and.
Speaker 3: Stuff.
Speaker 4: Form it was.
Speaker 3: Great great digital.
Speaker 4: Form it.
Speaker 3: Was it was. Awesome it was.
Speaker 2: Killer and SO i was eight years. Old it's, LIKE i Guess i'm a fan of this Awesome clippers team nine and forty one in the, lockout yere got to got to root for a team run by an old racist. Owner, yeah it was one of my best life.
Speaker 4: Decisions yeah so you STILL i mean.
Speaker 3: NO i, agree, no not.
Speaker 2: Anymore you lose it when you cover the. League BUT i grew up A clippers. Fan it stopped being A clippers fan just, in just in time to make it all not worth.
Speaker 1: It we hear. You we came here just as The raptors got, good and you dropped a Yan ma three mece pun a little. Earlier we know you love a good. Pun Jesse smith sent this in On. Twitter what's more satisfying writing a good story or coming up with just the right? PUN i and if you, can if you want to recall one of your great punts from this, season because you've been dropping some some hot, ones.
Speaker 4: Very pun friendly.
Speaker 3: Here what a what a ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Question it's it's so funny, that, LIKE i work for A hall Of Famer David, aldridge and yet that's the, question the level the respect levels between my boss and. Me it's just unbelievably. Disparity uh, yeah probably the. Pun, sadly, sadly when you know you got a good one on top of the. World, yeah you let it fire, off likely with a banana. Peel you just that's what he's.
Speaker 4: Doing did you ever hold on to a great pun to make it into the article or you're fired it On?
Speaker 3: Twitter, NO i don't really put puns in my. Articles.
Speaker 2: YEAH i FIND i find them grading and, writing AND i don't enjoy them and makes it seem like you're trying too. Hard they're good in, headlines, yeah same with the. Headlines click every once in a, while you can have a play on words in, Writing BUT i don't really like them in, writing SO i very very rarely use them in writing unless the situation really really calls for. It So twitter is like my perfect doubt to get out of my. System SO i can have like everybody hate, me and THEN i can send out my story and people be, Like I'M i want to read this is just gonna be, puns and then only to find there aren't even any.
Speaker 3: Puns, yeah it's really a horrible marketing. Strategy it's the only WAY i know how to do it.
Speaker 1: Well one of the THINGS i enjoy about your writing is that you insert the accents on the a's And Davis. Burton's was there important accents on those? A's do you do that or does the editor do? That and do you, like do you enjoy?
Speaker 2: That you have no idea how good this question, is BECAUSE i hit up my editor the other day and was, like who's been putting all the accents on all the a's And Davis Burton's BECAUSE i have literally never done, That, like we need to make a stylistic choice on whether we're gonna go WITH i guess like it would be read As Davis burton's without the, accents or if we're going to actually Say Davis. Burton's and we had the very nerdy accent or no accent conversation and decided on. Accents But i'm so.
Speaker 3: Lazy THAT i. HAVE I i don't even know how to use that.
Speaker 2: ACCENT i only know how to use the like command e accent. Exactly it's the only one THAT i know how to, use and and it would take far too long for me to google. It so you let let you let them do, It SO I i let my my. Editors quite, HONESTLY i have forgotten while writing it every single. Time but props to my amazing editors for literally never letting one.
Speaker 3: Slip i'm sure he has no. Idea, no he doesn't even know who you.
Speaker 6: Are he's better off speaking of people not knowing who you, are you, Said Russell. Westbrook that's how you knew he knew who you were was by him acting like he didn't know who you. Are that's gotta be a weird thing to when you get, dissed you're, Like i've made, It you've done it.
Speaker 3: Well he he had, SAID i wrote in that STORY i can curse on, here. Right. Yeah Uh, NO i had.
Speaker 2: KNOWN i really knew because because he said don't be a, Dickhead, fred.
Speaker 3: That Was that was HOW i really.
Speaker 2: Knew and and and as As Brett, dawson who covers The lakers FOR, us uh and was we were covering the thunder at the same. Time it always points out he didn't.
Speaker 3: Call you a, dickhead, Right he just advised you not to be.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was just general life.
Speaker 2: Advice and he also, said don't be an, Asshole fred Or, fred don't be an. Asshole it was on different, occasions it was it was, great it's good, advice don't be don't be a.
Speaker 5: Dickhead was that after you asked yourself a question of the press.
Speaker 2: Company, no he actually seemed to enjoy that. One he actually seemed to enjoy that. ONE i think that might be. Proof then he knows my name, too because because that was the.
Speaker 3: Playoffs, yeah that was in the. Playoffs that was like my first week on the.
Speaker 4: Beat describe that for for someone in the listener doesn't know what we're talking.
Speaker 2: About THAT i prefaced a question Into Kevin durant And Russell westbrook by addressing them As. Fred, then after an awkward, silence corrected myself and, SAID i don't know Why i'm asking.
Speaker 3: Myself and it was on LIVE. Tv my phone blue.
Speaker 2: UP i picked up like two Thousand twitter followers that night BECAUSE i HAD i had like three thousand at the, time AND i picked Up it was my first week ON NBA b AND i picked up like two. THOUSAND i had like a hundred because it was live ON tnt after a spurse THUNDER playff. GAME i had texts from my friends just being, like oh my, GOD.
Speaker 5: I haven't done it. Again then if it was so, profitable Question, Fred Fred, fred.
Speaker 2: Every question that would go over. Great that Was burdownso know WHY i was that.
Speaker 1: Well speaking Of. FRED i don't know if this This twitter user has inside, information But Caleb slinkerd wrote in and, asked what's your real?
Speaker 2: Name oh well that's uh it's my former.
Speaker 3: Editor so he, does he. Does, uh my real name Is. Matthew What, yeah middle Named?
Speaker 1: Fred oh my.
Speaker 4: Goodness oh, yeah you're blowing my. Mind.
Speaker 2: Uh fred is a nickname that everybody has called me since about third.
Speaker 3: Grade. Wow, yeah, yeah this is.
Speaker 4: Wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah people normally have this. Reaction why the?
Speaker 4: Nickname Why?
Speaker 2: Fred my third grade teacher nicknamed Me, fred AND i don't quite remember why.
Speaker 3: It WASN'T i don't think it was that Like Fred, flint, Seminole Freddy. Krueger BUT i don't think he would do that with a nine year. OLD i don't think you do that with a nine year.
Speaker 2: Old i'd be a little messed. Up Uh, no IT'S i don't think it was that seminal of a moment for. ME i definitely pushed it BECAUSE i was just a weird nine year old, kid and then it was just like everyone was calling Me, fred AND i was, LIKE i guess this is my?
Speaker 1: Name.
Speaker 2: Wow AND i definitely contributed to. It tall it and my my parents were thrilled as you can. Imagine and uh, yeah and just FOR i guess twenty some odd years, now everyone is just amazing called Me. Fred, yeah no one calls Me, matthew.
Speaker 3: Nobody like your. Parents my mom calls Me.
Speaker 2: Matthew my dad calls me Matt my brother AND i refer to each other exclusively as brother or brother for. Short, okay and uh that those the only two people that's pretty much.
Speaker 4: Yet, wow, Wow i'm sure right?
Speaker 1: Now and, uh is it is your last? Name dogs or?
Speaker 3: Dogs?
Speaker 1: Well thanks To caleb for sending me, amazing amazing stuff.
Speaker 7: That's.
Speaker 1: Wild THEN i guess our final question is do you like? CATS?
Speaker 3: I i? HATE i do? IT i hate? Cats?
Speaker 5: Awful Is Russell westbrook a catt or a? Dog?
Speaker 1: Oh we asked him.
Speaker 2: That I've i've listened this debate many times And i've thought about, it and to, me the difficult, PART i Think russell's personality is a, cat but his basketball style is a.
Speaker 4: Dog that is exactly Because it's why it's such a difficult.
Speaker 3: QUESTION i, know.
Speaker 2: Because Because Russell russell reacts to a loose ball the same way like a golden retriever does when you.
Speaker 3: Throw a tennis.
Speaker 2: Ball he's, LIKE i am going to get that before, anybody and then he, does and then he will run back in the other direction when he gets in so excited that.
Speaker 5: He got the.
Speaker 2: Ball but the, personality but the personality is very cat. Like BUT i think the personality contributes to more of his, life like he, is he is being a.
Speaker 3: Person for longer than he is playing.
Speaker 4: Basketball so if you had to pick one or the, other.
Speaker 2: You're, saying SO i have to say cat because that is the more predominant thing because like he's a person all the, time but.
Speaker 3: He's a basketball.
Speaker 1: Player Some, Yeah and we asked him. That we asked all The All stars that there as many as we could at An All star, weekend IF i do, recall we asked that directly To Russell Westbrook and AS i asked the, question he had his back turned to. Me he just he was sitting on a, chair but for some, reason his mood was telling him to turn his back to. Me and it was very, catlike there's no way around. It and he was being a person that he wasn't being a basketball. Player so you're right, On Matthew doggs now freight. CATS i thank, You fred for coming and this was a lot of. Fun it's. Great you can Catch fred's work On The athletic and as a host Of wizards After, dark a postgame, podcast and we will be back with our daily show On. Tuesday thanks, everybody be every.
Speaker 3: Minute it's been so long that you're the Fun i've waiting.
Speaker 7: For it's happened.
Speaker 1: Already it's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Grivy