Speaker 1: Welcome to Zero.
Speaker 2: I'm Oscar Boyd and I'm Christine Driscol.
Speaker 1: We're the producers on zero and we are joined as always by our eminent host at Sha Rati. Actually, welcome back to London. You've been in Singapore, Australia and India visiting and interviewing all sorts of interesting people working in climate. How were your travels?
Speaker 3: Oh, really good, energizing, exhausting, surprising, all the things that good travel is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: What was the best thing you saw?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's an easy one, because I went to the Great Barrier Reef. It's very hard to beat a world wonder, which I'd been looking forward to see. The other wonder is Singapore. It's a man made wonder and that was crazy fun too. I mean, it's the most densely populated country in the world, one hundred percent urban, and yet it's also a really good place to visit. Everything works, cooling is on all the time. We went down and saw some cooling projects, including a district cauling project which was very interesting. Workers in the basement that had huge vats of ice cool using renewable electricity when it's available. But yeah, do wonders of the world.
Speaker 2: That's great. So a couple of months ago we introduced a new format on Zero, which is our numbers based climate guessing game. Because of its wild popularity last time, today the game is getting a second outing, and so just to quickly recap if this is your first time or you've been wowed by Singapore and everything's left your mind. There are a lot of climate numbers out there and they don't make it onto a full episode of Zero, but they do paint a good picture of where we're going, and it is a shame to ignore them. So the purpose of this game is to highlight our.
Speaker 1: Favorites exactly and to recap. The rules as well. They're very simple. Each one of us will present a number and then the other two have to figure out what that number represents. Each person can ask three questions, You can ask for clues if you get stuck, and then you have to guess.
Speaker 2: Akshat Do you remember how to play?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's easy enough.
Speaker 3: As always, I play games only if I have a chance to win a prize, and I was a little disappointed last time around because you guys gave me a carbon credit. Not interested in one of those So what's the prize this time?
Speaker 1: Hey, what's wrong with the carbon credit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should go back and listen to the episode of Mark Trexler to understand why carbon credits don't work.
Speaker 1: But yes, cool, So this time the prize is much more special, much more real in many ways, and the prize you'll be delighted to know, actually is a copy of a new book being published on October the twelfth, called Climate Capitalism. Actually, would you like to explain the price of it?
Speaker 3: Well, I would like to lose it, so one if you get who wins it, then the pressure's on.
Speaker 1: So I mean i'll give a brief into but actually you should use this opportunity to promote your new book as well. It's called Climate Capitalism. It's out October twelve. I've read most of the first few chapters. I haven't finished it yet, but it's great. It's brilliant. It's a really really fun read, and I would recommend anyone who is listening to go out and pre order the book. Actually, do you want to give it a brief plug as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a book about climate solutions, So anybody listening to Zero the podcast about climate solutions will not be surprised by it, but I would hope the surprising stories in it will interest you. Some of them, or at least some of the people behind those stories have featured on this podcast, But there is a lot more in there. Writing a book is very different from any other kind of journalism I've done so far, and it also gave me an opportunity to sort of lay out a case for where we are and correct some of the misperceptions around whether we are doing enough on reducing emissions. So I'm really excited for what people think about it. Really nice reviews are coming through, so I feel less nervous now because some people have read it and they've said, it's all.
Speaker 2: Right, great review for our prize.
Speaker 1: It's all right, it's all right.
Speaker 2: Okay. So to sum that up, akshot, you are ready to compete for your own book?
Speaker 1: Correct? Shall we play? Whose number is it? Anyway? Christine? Would you like to go first this time?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am ready. My number is fifty fifty.
Speaker 3: That's a small number.
Speaker 2: Is it a small number?
Speaker 3: Well again, if you're doing it like last time, if it's going to be a percentage, I guess we need the unit.
Speaker 2: You have a really good memory. It is a percentage, and I'll throw it in a little extra hint. It's a percentage reduction.
Speaker 3: So it cannot be the twenty thirty target, because that twenty thirty target is forty three percent reduction over twenty nineteen levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not it. Now, I haven't said what we're reducing, but you are on the correct path.
Speaker 1: Can I try and define the geographic area little bit? Is it a reduction that's happened in the USA?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Does it have anything to do with electricity generation? No?
Speaker 2: Not directly.
Speaker 1: Actually, you look like you're bubbling with questions slash deep in thought.
Speaker 3: I'm actually confused because I don't know what it is. If it's not electricity, The closest we come to it is the US goal, which Joe Edden said for a fifty percent reduction in emissions by.
Speaker 1: I've got an idea. Is it something that is to do with land use change? No? Okay, that's my idea.
Speaker 2: Gone, Okay, I have another hint. I want you to fill in the blank. If I say Microsoft, what's the first word that comes to mind?
Speaker 1: Windows XP dang.
Speaker 2: I was going to say office because it's about working in an office and the effect that that has on your emissions.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I think I know roughly what this is. It's how much your emissions reduced by or how much emissions have been reduced by people working from home.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I'm going to I want to give this point to Oscar.
Speaker 1: I'm one step closer to finishing at chat sport.
Speaker 2: So basically, there's a big headline recently about a study of office workers and remote workers, and the ultimate finding was if you work from home, the emissions savings could be as much as fifty percent. And that's like the big headline because everyone's like, who, let's keep working from home. I looked at the study. There's a lot of really great details in it. I encourage other people to look at the study. But there are a lot of neat things that are not in the headline, and I want to talk about that. So this was a study of Microsoft office workers in the US. I could not get the researcher to tell me exactly how many people that was, but it's at least twenty thousand. So Microsoft has one hundred and twenty thousand people working in the US. Anyway, This professor of energy systems engineering at Cornell doctor Fon Sheiu and other colleagues did the study tracking Microsoft workers in the US, and the thing that's not in the headline that I think is so interesting is that you have to be working from home more than one day a week in order to get this benefit. If you just work from home one day a week, it doesn't really do very much.
Speaker 1: Why is that It has to do with.
Speaker 2: The amount of trips that a person who is working from home does on their one day that they're working from home, So it's like they're driving more essentially, And that goes back to like the source of emissions if you're working in the office is commuting and the energy use of the building. And I work from home, so sometimes I feel guilty about it, like, oh, I'm sitting here with the electricity on and like the computer and the router, and there's all these empty office buildings that are just running really great air conditioning and I'm not there. And it turns out that because I'm working from home more than one day a week, I actually am kind of in the clear. I'm doing something marginally good.
Speaker 1: Do Microsoft employees are the one study? Are they largely driving to work? Because I'd be interested know whether it's the same effect in say London, where it's very easy to cycle or take the bus or take the tube or whatever kind of form of public transport you want to get to work and you're not driving so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of driving. And in the study too, they make the point that you could further reduce your emissions as a worker if you drive an EV But then also only really if you're in the Pacific Northwest, where there's a lot more renewable energy. If you're in the South or of the mid Atlantic there's so much coal generation that it's negligible. There's not a lot of great examples of Americans commuting by train or bike, so it's really a car centric study.
Speaker 3: So all the carbon intensive countries really should be working from home. You know, if you're living in Saudi Arabia, don't.
Speaker 1: Go to Wick.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Basically, yeah, work from home two days a week at least. And if you really want your employees to come back to the office, make sure that you're building is super energy efficient, and then you'll have a really strong case that it's better on a lot of levels. But everyone who's working from home should not feel guilty about it. Great, Akshat, you talked about district cooling. I do you want to learn more about that because the cooling is such a big part of people's energy use, whether you're in the offices or at home. I think that you should go next.
Speaker 3: Okay. My number is two hundred and one million.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think this is the number of electric vehicles that have been sold in a certain timescale.
Speaker 3: All right, you guys know me it is electric vehicles. But well, don Christine, timescale is forever.
Speaker 1: It's time scills forever.
Speaker 3: As in from the beginning of time till now.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay. Is it something to do with the batteries inside the electric vehicles?
Speaker 3: I know it is about the vehicles themselves.
Speaker 2: It's not the number of miles that have been traveled.
Speaker 1: No, you've not done something annoying like times dip by the number of tires that electric vehicles have.
Speaker 2: No, the vehicles themselves. Two hundred and one million.
Speaker 1: Is it global or is it one specific country? For example, China? One country? Is it China? Yes? Good?
Speaker 3: All right, time to guess I.
Speaker 2: Think Oscars pursing his lips with a question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it something to do with the number of people who have ridden in an electric vehicle in China in all time.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, my final guess is I don't think this is the right scale for China, but I will guess it's the number of electric vehicles sold in China to date.
Speaker 3: You're closed, but still wrong. It is the number of two wheeler electric vehicles.
Speaker 1: That I told it was something I'm annoying to do with wheels, I said it, No.
Speaker 3: It's not a number of wheels. It's still number of wheels. So it's the number of electric two wheelers that are in the fleet in China as of twenty to twenty two.
Speaker 2: So it's four hundred and twenty million wheels.
Speaker 1: Four hundred and two million wheels.
Speaker 2: Sorry fortune, two million wheels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, electric two wheelers include bicycles, motorbikes. It's still a motorbike if.
Speaker 3: It's I guess it is, yes, And most of it is actually more peds rather than electric bikes. And it's a number that was just super shocking to me. You know, I went to China in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen, and I just saw electric two wheelers everywhere. But you know, the scale of China is so huge that even when you see them everywhere, You're still not like sure how many they might be. And so when I first came across the number, I was shocked, and it is shocking, especially when you compare it to other countries. So the next country in the rank that has electric two wheelers is India, no surprises, but another guess how much lower is that number? I'm going to say tenth, so twenty million?
Speaker 2: Wait, but I want to know does India manufacture? Yes, it does, is electric? Okay, I'm going to stick with my theme of today and just do its fifty percent lower.
Speaker 3: The number of electric two wheelers in India were one point five million last year in twenty twenty two. The entire fleet, it's one one hundred, one one hundred, So China is like way ahead on this game.
Speaker 1: Has that actually displaced the need for fossil fuel set?
Speaker 3: So that's the other surprising thing because of the sheer number of electric two wheelers. It's electric two wheelers and three wheelers combined that displace four times as much oil demand as all electric passenger cars sold globally. Wow, so your two and three wheeler electric vehicles are displacing about a million barrels of oil demand per day, whereas passenger cars in total are just placing about quarter of a million barrels of oil demand per day, and for contacts, we consume about one hundred million barrels of oil every day.
Speaker 1: Wow, So electric two and three wheelers have displaced one percent of global oil demand.
Speaker 2: Indeed, that's that's pretty good for two wheels. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that just because they're mostly being used in highly dense, highly urban settings and getting rid of that last short distance travel that people would maybe use cars for.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But it's also that countries like India and China and Southeast Asia, two wheelers are the way to get around because they're cheaper to buy. They are much more efficient than a passenger car because you don't have to carry all that weight along just to sit in it, and so they make for the mode of transport of choice because it's cheap and you can get around it and you know, to be fair to India, yes, it's one hundred right now, but the rate of growth in India that bloomergeni f predicts is massive. So it's one point five million last year, it'll be two point five million this year, it'll be three point five million next year. And that way it just goes up because the economic case for electric two wheelers also has set in in India, and on my trip this time around, I saw so many of them.
Speaker 1: The thing that I think would also be really interesting with that is how much it changes air pollution. Yeah, you do notice it when you're going around Delhi, the fact there are so many polluting vehicles on the streets, and if you can change them all for evs, which have very little pollution, then that's going to have a huge effectually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. It's not uncommon for petrol power two wheelers to have this huge amount of smoke coming out. Yes, they are more fuel efficient relative to a car, but they do produce higher air pollution just because their engines are small and they can't put in all the things that a car can do to be able to put out fewer particulate matter pollution.
Speaker 1: That's another great number. Does anyone win a point? Oh?
Speaker 3: I think Christine gets half a point because she's very very good.
Speaker 2: Half a point. I was so close.
Speaker 1: Hey, I got that thing about the wheels though.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick break while you ponder the existence of two wheeled vehicles. And when we get back more numbers. Okay, Oscar, it is your turn to share a number.
Speaker 1: My number is two thousand and twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well that sounds like the year. But if it's not the year, then I mean it'll be too obvious if it's.
Speaker 2: The year, So just a year that would be so I want.
Speaker 1: To say, I think, am I getting number shaded? It's very it's this is the thing we do when I share.
Speaker 2: I don't know, choosing a year it feels it's a little bit punk. I guess it's a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. It is a year.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of things that happened next year. India goes to election next year.
Speaker 1: It's not that.
Speaker 2: Is this a year that something is going to be achieved?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh damn, I should ask that differently.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, something I think they will very likely be achieved.
Speaker 2: Can I rephrase that? I want to know if something is starting to be built in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: No, nothing is starting to be built.
Speaker 3: Is it to do with protection of a certain thing like a forest or an ocean or a you know, like a terrestrial thing or animals?
Speaker 1: Or it is not?
Speaker 2: Is it? The bike lanes from your last episode are finally being built.
Speaker 1: No, it has nothing to do with bicycles, which is one of my big clues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, geographical proximity.
Speaker 1: Give us a hint. It is global. Oh my god, is.
Speaker 3: There a climate gold that may be achieved next year? A global one.
Speaker 2: I'm really stumped.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you another hint that it's to do with our favorite energy association.
Speaker 2: IA predict something will happen in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Very good. Now what's the thing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got it, but I think I'm wrong, But maybe I'm correct, which is all fossil fuel demand, oil gas, and coal will peak in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: You're along the right lines, but think less fossil fuel, more renewable final gases.
Speaker 2: Please, yeah, seriously, just bear in.
Speaker 1: Mind, Christine. If you get this, then you get the book.
Speaker 2: I know I'm going to guess that this has something to do with the like, let's just say renewables will have become present in every country on Earth's electricity generation of at least two percent.
Speaker 1: Nice guess, but no, okay, is it a good No more hints, no more, henty. It will be a record, but it's not being framed in terms of records.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going with the wild guest because I don't know the answer, which is that renewable electricity, specifically solar, will be the cheapest form of electricity everywhere in the world.
Speaker 1: That might also be true. I'm not going to deny it, but it's not the figure I'm talking about. So twenty twenty four is the year that the International Energy Agency predicts that renewables could overtake coal as the world's largest source of electricity.
Speaker 2: Whoa is shaking his fist.
Speaker 3: I think I knew that, it just didn't hit me.
Speaker 2: Hey that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool. And as a follow up from that, so the figure I just gave is for all renewables, which includes hydro which is the currently the largest solar wind both on you or not sure, but by twenty twenty seven, they think solar alone will be bigger than coal.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And why I really liked this figure is that it builds upon their own predictions and so all the way back in December of twenty twenty two, about nine ten months ago, the IA released its Renewabals twenty twenty two report, which estimated that globally, renewables might overtake coal maybe in early twenty twenty five, but the latest report, which came out in July, says that it could be as early as twenty twenty four. It's caveatd with as long as weather conditions are favorable, that renewables as a whole should overtake coal.
Speaker 3: And that answers one question, which is this is about generation of renewable electricity and not just the capacity. I should also correct myself, which is yes, the IEA did say something about peaking of oil, coal and gas demand, but it said all of those will peak before twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: I mean that's also huge. What's crazy is when you look at these figures. So in twenty fourteen, all renewable energy put together made about five thousand terrible hours in a year, and at that point so twenty fourteen, coal was about ten thousand terrible hours globally, and coal has remained relatively insistent. It's kind of fluctuated a little bit, but renewables in that ten yure period have doubled from five thousand terrible hours to almost ten thousand terrible hours. And yeah, I mean it's exciting because, as I said, it builds upon the IA. It's own forecasts, and basically they've just taken in all the new data from governments like China, the EU, the US, India who are just pumping more and more money and changing their policies to basically make it easier to introduce renewables and make it less favorable for new fossil fuels to come into place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it does feel surprising, even though we just had Jenny Chase explained to us the solar revolution that is just mind boggling. But it's it is that mind boggling that even after you slice andize these numbers different radio like Wow.
Speaker 1: The other last thing I'd like to mention by the IA report is that they've now made this claim that fossil fuels are seeing structural decline. Normally, in the past when fossil fuels have declined, it's been in the wake of big recessions, financial crashes, the OPEC oil crisis in the nineteen seventies. They're saying now because of how quickly renewables are rising, in particular Solo, that fossil fuels are starting to go into a terminal structural decline. That even though electricity demand is still growing, all that new capacity that's needed is being taken up by renewables, and renewables are now making a real dent into fossil fuel infrastructure as well. I don't know who got that, did either of you get that? I'm going to give it to Christine so she gets the copy of Actual's.
Speaker 2: Book sign version in the mail.
Speaker 3: There will be one.
Speaker 1: I think that wraps up our time. Thank you guys for playing Whose number is it? Anyway? This was fun.
Speaker 2: Great, Thanks so much for listening to Zero. Let us know what you thought of this format at zero pod at Bloomberg dot net.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed it, please give us a rating or review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Please do say nice things only.
Speaker 2: Zero's producer is Oscar Boyd and senior producer is me Christine driscoll.
Speaker 1: Our theme music is by Wonderly Special thanks as always to Kira Bndrum and we'll be back later this week