Speaker 1: I saw Victoria's Secret for the first time, and I remember thinking they never had seen anything like that in Australia. There was nothing remotely like that. And to think fast forward, how many years ahead there I would be up there.
Speaker 2: Mirandika is a globally renowned model, a wellness advocate, a mother of four, and the founder of Cora Organics. In this conversation, we speak about the experiences that shaped her, the spiritual practices that keep her grounded, and how she built a business with purpose.
Speaker 1: And I think as women let ourselves feel whatever we feel. For so many of us, even sometimes that anger might come up and we're like, no, I'm not an angry person, like I said, but I think it's important to actually embrace it and feel it and be like, I'm actually feeling angry right now and I need a moment and that's okay. Through that challenging time, there will be more growth and that it won't be this painful forever.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a Really Good Cry podcast. A Really Good Cry is here to help you understand your body, feel confident in your skin, manage your emotions, and take back control of your health. Because growth doesn't always start with answers. Sometimes it starts with a really good cry. Miranda, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful. You know, we were talking about this earlier, but I've known a Miranda for years and years through a mutual friend, and all I've heard is how kind, generous, loving, and how deep your heart is. And so I'm just excited to be able to sit down with you and explore one get to know you your life, but also talk about all the things that you're doing now too. So thank you again for being here, Thanks for having me. I wanted to start off by just asking you, well, let's stop in the beginning, because I feel like there's going to be a great way for me to understand everything about you. So I want to start off by with your childhood, like where did you grow up, how did you grow up? Do you remember yourself as a child, and what were you like?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I have oh such fun I was so excited. I have such fond memories of you know, being a child and growing up in Australia. I grew up in a little country town about ten thousand people, and it's actually the Koala, capital of Australia called Gannada. And the funny thing is they now have a sign when you enter the town with me holding a koala. So I think that's pretty cute.
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was actually right outside of my grandparents' property. So my grandma was very proud. So I grew up there and I was you know, I grew up riding motorbikes. My grandparents had a farm. I learned how to drive a stick shift when I was literally maybe seven, like I could just see over the wheel, and I just loved the freedom that that kind of gave me. That I could go and have picnics with my cousins and have our you know, time out in the fields and just kind of it's amazing the sense of freedom that I got as a child that now being a parent myself, I'm like, wait a minute, my parents let me do that, or my grandparents let me do that. We also had motorbikes and horses and yeah, I just as I said, I had a lot of time outdoors in nature and my favorite thing was like climbing a willow tree. And so you know, there was a willow tree in my grandparents' house and There was also a willow tree at my cousin's house, and the one of my cousin's house was a little bit taller, and one day I climbed up so far that my cousin like, I couldn't get down, so I climbed. I just loved climbing, climbing, climbing, and then I was like, oh, I'm stuck. So my dad had to come with the ladder and get me down. But that only happened one time. Then I decided I don't want to climb that high. It was very humble beginnings, and I feel like it really shaped and gave me a lot of confidence in who I am as a person, because I know, no matter what, like if you have like a loving family, that's just the most important thing, and you know kind people around you.
Speaker 2: It's such a rare thing to have grown up with grandparents like now I think I talk to my friends who My grandma actually passed last year. She was ninety two, and she was she had an incredible life. But to have grown up with grandparents so close, it's a different type of perspective that you get in life from just having your parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my parents had me when my mom was really young. They're still together and very much in love, and it just really shows you that it's so important in a relationship to just have that commitment to each other, and that your relationship grows through so many stages and then you can my parents can look back and say like, oh, my goodness, remember when we did this and my mom that's like my mom's only boyfriend she ever had was my dad. That's so sack. And they're so sweet together and they're so in love, and what do.
Speaker 2: You feel like, So, how many years have they been married? For now?
Speaker 1: So I'm forty three. So they got married when she was pregnant with me seventeen. So yeah, wow, neither of us like to do the math. No, But the reason I'm asking it's a long time. Yeah, it's a long time. And I would say that they're like more in love now than they've ever been.
Speaker 2: What do you feel like you've learnt from watching them? And have they given you any advice when you've gone into relationships that's really stuck with you.
Speaker 1: I feel like they really communicate a lot with each other, and for so long, maybe my mom wasn't as communicative and she just like expected my dad to do things, and as she got older, she became like a better communicator, and then he was like, oh sure, no worries, Like my dad is very chill, and my mom's so much more of like ambitious and more driven. And I think that's where I got my work ethic from. Like, they obviously both have a really good work ethic, and they actually had they both had their own businesses, and so I learned a lot watching them about that. But I also was raised by my grandma, who was a homemaker and taught me the importance of routine and consistency, and she had something called generosity of spirit that I just feel like it was just so she was so welcoming to everyone that came into her home, and the door was always open, and she never put a lock on the door ever, and people would just call in and have a cup of tea and some cakes. So she'd always be baking. She taught me how to cook, and so she also was the one who introduced me to NONI.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I know, I want to get onto that. I'm so excited to talk about NONI because I feel there were so many beautiful ingredients out there in the world that people have no idea about hubs and things that need to provide that we don't realize how much it can do for us. And I know that that's something you've been into, Cora, which you're going to definitely get onto. But you know, you've done so many things in your life.
Speaker 1: Like I told you, I'm going to take my shoes off, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like you've done so much in your life. You've done modeling, You've had so much success in your life. You're an entrepreneur, and I'm sure that each phase brought you so much. But when when you've got to this point in your life, now, what is it that's driving you and what's exciting you in your life at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, as you know, I'm a mother of four boys, so every day is exciting and a new adventure, and they're all in different stages. So I have a two year old who is just absolutely loving life. He is the angel of the family that everyone adores, and there was never any like jealousy of him coming along. They were always so supportive. His little brother, that's you know, that's next, was six years old, and he when I was pregnant, would kiss my tummy every day and talk to the baby. And the day that he he woke up and he said, Mommy, I had a dream that the baby was coming today. And I was like, no, no, honey, he's not due for another three weeks. And I went into labor that day and I had him that day. And that's how connected they are. And then I have an eight little eight year old and they're only fifteen months apart, the six and the eight year old. So the six almost seven, they were six seven and then used to always be like six seven, and then he had his birthday and anyway, so now they're six and eight, and the eight year old is so sweet and gentle, and the six year old is a little like they're all they're all loving and gentle and kind. But then they all have their own little individual personalities. Like the baby for sure, knows exactly what he wants, and he's very comfortable in his own skin, and he he's very cheeky, and he's obsessed with like cars and like diggers and all the very like boys thing boys stuff. His other brother, Miles, the one that I said would kiss him every night, he's like such like he can do any puzzle, Like he's like a little puzzle master. But he's also very like he'll be the one that will like tackle his big brother and like rough house with his fifteen year old brother. And I'm like, whoa, well, take it easy. And he's mischievous. We call him like mischievous Miles. And then there's as I said, HATI, who's more cerebral and very thoughtful, and he's like he like for the longest time, he would just like wake up and get his clothes on and get himself ready for school, and they'd be like, okay, Mom, come on, you're gonna be late to school. I'm like, buddy, we've got half an hour. He's like, can't be late. Can't be late. I'm like okay. Whereas his brother's like, Mom, it's fine. He's like, it's fine. We can have another cup of tea. Like he likes having tea parties. The six year old loves having tea parties, and so does the baby. We do have tea parties. Actually, I baked a cake today with the two year old. He was so excited. I should have bought some for you. Oh sorry, next time. And my eight year old is amazing with lego, like he just did the fee for World Cup Lego when he's eight, and he just like, in two days this World Cup Lego, which is kind of intricate, really intense. And then and he loves math, like math is his favorite subject. And then my teenager who's fifteen, is a true artist. And we're actually working on a children's book together. But I told him no pressure, because I want him to feel it, you know, not feel the pressure of that. But I am excited about writing a book with him and him doing the illustrations. And he was very specific about what he wanted the book to be about. And yeah, how do you feel like you've changed from your first child to now your fourth child. Do you feel like you did a lot of different things with each child or did you maintain the same practices and the way that you treated your body during each pregnancy. Well, with my first pregnancy, I had a lot more time, obviously, so I was able to do I was doing yoga every day. I was like, you know, making one thing that's being consistent throughout all my pregnancy is my meditation practice. So that's like a non negotiable for me. In the morning, at least I can do that when the kids are asleep. Still I don't normally get time to do my second practice, but sometimes I do if I'm lucky. That's like a bonus. So with the other boys, I didn't have the luxury of doing like yoga every day to the extent that I did with Flynn. And then with Flynn, I remember my grandma saying like, routine is the most important thing that you can have with your children, and getting them in that routine, the sleep schedule and all of that, and I was like, oh, it's fine. I'm a willow tree. I'm much more flexible and I like to go with the flow, and I love the willow tree, so I do use that like I love that philosophy of being like a willow and not being rigid like an oak. But I have learned the value now that I have four in the safety that routine brings. And so I'm much more routined with my two year old than I was with my first child. Yeah. You learn so much as you go through each child. Yeah, and you, I guess. But actually with each pregnancy. With the first pregnancy, I was very relaxed because I was naive. Then the last pregnancy, I was more on my toes because the more you learn, the more you become a little more concerned. But then I'm the opposite, like with the children. So like with my first child, there was much more like oh okay, like we need to do this and this, And now with my fourth child, I'm more relaxed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm like my sister was the same. She was so conscious of every little thing of just don't go there and don't go here. Her little girl now she's like a little wild one. She'll just climb up trees or run around. And yeah, my sister won't say anything, but it's true. You end up kind of easing into the it's like anything. I imagine. I haven't got to that stage in my life yet, but I can imagine you just with practice comes ease, and hey, you kind of have to let loose a little bit, let loose on the grips.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially with four boys running wide and then the little baby comes like after them and he tries to keep up with them, and I'm like, hey, take it easy, he's too he's too he can't keep up with you.
Speaker 2: Guys. You mentioned your meditation practice. Yeah, and I know that you've had this practice for quite a long time. Now, how many years have you been practicing meditation?
Speaker 1: So I first learned meditation when I was seventeen, and that was more of like Kundolini yoga meditation, and then I learned vada meditation about thirteen years ago. Obviously people see it more relate to it more as like TM, but originally it's dating meditation where you have a mantra and then you practice your mantra twenty minutes. And I've also I also have always enjoyed yoga nidra. Just a guided yoga nidra practice feels really good to me. Sometimes it doesn't know what yoga nitra is, would you explain it or the practice involves, Well, basically it's a guided practice where I lay down and listen to a guided kind of relaxation technique through the whole body and let go, and then you can go through each of the chakras depending on who's leading the But I have a really good thirty minute yoga nindra that is like a little reset button for me. So I just I really do like different types of meditations. I've also experienced some great benefits with Joe Dispenser's meditations, which a lot of my friends were saying you need to try. But I think what comes it comes back to is having that core practice of the Vedic meditation twenty minutes every morning. That really helps me feel like I'm watering my soul. And that to me is something that even my boys have a mantra. So except for the baby, my fifteen year old does. He had a group of friends that also have learned, you know, the meditation technique, and so I think it's really valuable to give them that so that then they have that in their pocket and they can rely on that. And also at night. Since my fifteen year old was young, I used to tell him this kind of guided meditation. I would say about like going to a waterfall and like you know, like having the water like cleanse away any worries and things like that. And so when I was at the Joe Despenser retreat, I met this woman, Meylan, and she is a singer and she sings with him, and so I was like, oh, I'd love to like kind of have you come and do some meditation with me? Would you be up for that? And she came over and when we were doing one of the meditations, she was like, you know, I feel like it's really important for you to channel a meditation now, And I was like, what do you mean, I don't know how to channel a meditation? And so I did, and we're actually probably going to release it. So I recorded one specifically like for myself, but then after I listened to it, I was like and she was like, wow, I got a lot from that. This would be amazing if we could share it with people, and I was like, okay, I was so like it just it just came through obviously, like it was meant a message that was meant to come through me. And it's so beautiful because her voice is so angelic. Anyway, so I said to her the next day, do you mind if I record one for the children? And so I recorded a meditation for my children and every night they listened to it when they go to sleep, the six and seven year old and well six and eight year old, they share a room so that we put the meditation on they fall asleep, and it's like a guided meditation where they can cleanse away any worries and they feel guided and protected and safe and it is and it's really comforting for them to have that. And my two year old is like, put mummy's mummy's voice on now mummy's voice on. I'm like, Okay, it's so wonderful to be sharing those you know, we share so much with our friends, our family about the tools and techniques that we've created when it comes to work or finances or you know, there's so much that you get taught from a young age. But to have tools like meditation, or to have tools like sharing a mantra, which at first someone may be like, okay, whatever, it's just some words, but those words carry so much energy and so much power that they can I think only when you do something are you able to really experience it. You can hear about it, people will talk about it, but when you actually sit for ten thirteen years, every single day consistently to lean into this practice, to deepen a practice, then can you really understand how the weight of it and how it can actually impact you. And so I guess for someone who's had that experience for thirteen years, how would you say meditation has changed your life? Or what did you notice in yourself changing as you were kind of deepening your practice. So it's meditation for me, and obviously prayer. So my grandmother introduced me to prayer when as long as I can remember, she would sit and talk with me and read to me and talk with me about God and read verses out the Bible and the power of prayer, And so for me doing the daily meditation and then the prayer of gratitude for my life and the prayer of also like forgiveness, because being human is, you know, making mistakes and understanding that every day kind of forgiving ourselves and forgiving others is such an important ritual to bring into our life because no one's perfect. And I say, like, I forgive myself, and I forgive everyone who has said something intentionally or unintentionally to upset me intentionally or unintentionally, and if I've done the same to them, Please help us forgive and release each other and be at peace with each other and be at peace with ourselves, because it's ultimately it's almost like just cleansing your spirit so it can have an opportunity to thrive and grow and evolve. Because if we haven't had that opportunity to cleanse ourself and sit deeply with ourself and listen to that guidance within, then we're sort of living on autopilot. Like how can we really grow to the extent that we're meant to if we don't have that in a guidance. So it's almost like tending to your soul and creating that time and that space in the world that's so fast paced right now.
Speaker 2: I used to think it's a self practice, like it's something that I'm doing for myself, and now I've realized it's actually part of not an obligation, but almost like a commitment that you're also making to the people around you in society, because you are choosing every single day, whatever meditation you do, whatever practice you have, it's a commitment to being a better person or creating a better ripple effect into the world. So how I interact with you every single day could depend on the practice that I've had with myself, And how beautiful that you are committing to being better. And if everybody chose to commit to be better, just incrementally every single day, then imagine how different art interaction can be. Imagine how different your interaction with a stranger on the street is, or someone comes with aggression and you're able to handle it calmly and be collected and help to pacify them because maybe they haven't done this.
Speaker 1: And have compassion for them because they don't know any other way exactly.
Speaker 2: I know you mentioned it helped you to kind of tune into you in a voice. Has there ever been a point where you've heard or like felt your intuition say something that felt really different to the way your life was going, Like did you have you ever had a moment of calling or a moment of connection where we're like, oh my god, this means I have to change my whole life, and I don't know whether I'm ready for this.
Speaker 1: I've kind of like really followed my intuition and it's kind of like felt right like in that Like even though so I've done many things like oh, I was like, Okay, I want to write a book, and then I've written a book for young girls Treasure Yourself, Empower Yourself, and I'm supposed to be working on the next book, but the time is something that I would love more fair time.
Speaker 2: I mean, you do have four children and you also have an incredible skinkilling. Yeah, You've got a lot going on.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I love I designed jewelry too, So I designed this. This is it's called like you from my heart to yours. So it's with an Australian company, Michael and these little earrings, which is which is funny because I can actually.
Speaker 2: In them, like and I sleep in all my ear rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're really comfortable. So I was like, you know this is I never take these.
Speaker 2: Off and really beautiful? Are they? Are they stones or are they.
Speaker 1: It's the lab grown diamonds.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, perfect, it's really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you feel like you're making more trying to make more space for in your life? And you mentioned the book, but is there anything that you're trying to create more space for.
Speaker 1: I really try to give quality time to each of my children every day because I really see the importance of that for the whole family, like having that one on one time with them, being present, checking in with them, like how are you doing? And I always ask them how can I be a better mom? Is there anything I could do that you wish I would do that I'm not doing?
Speaker 2: That's so sweet?
Speaker 1: And I ask them because sometimes they're like, yeah, I'd like to have more tea parties or something. It's like sometimes it's like can you just stay with me until I fall asleep? Which I end up doing every night, Like, oh, my poor husband has to wait for me. It's just important to listen because I think children are our future, and I really want my children to just grow up feeling I'll like get tiary, but I want them to feel like loved and nurtured and like you know, accepted, and like I feel like I love them unconditionally. So I think about them and I tear up so my children, I guess in my whole world and my family.
Speaker 2: I love that you said you asked them, how can I be a better mother?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I say the same thing to my husband too. I'm like, is there anything I could be doing to be a better partner to you? Because sometimes we think that we're giving our partner or our children what they need, but maybe we're just speaking through our love language. We're not speaking through theirs. Like my love language is physical touch, and two of my boys for sure a physical touch as well. But my husband is acts of service, So you know, I have to that like doesn't come naturally to me, So I like have to like check in with him, like everything you'd like me to do more of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was never in the practice of that, but my husband did that from when we I think when we first got married, and always used to be like, oh, wow, he's actually asking me, And sometimes I wouldn't even know how to respond because I wasn't even expecting him to ask me that question. To I had to become more aware of what I actually wanted or why you were I wasn't even wick that. Yeah, And so it's such a powerful question to ask, whether it's friends or family or partner or children, to just know, how can I show up for you better? And I think it's something that I'm trying to implement. So I love that you've reiterated. It's reminded me of that that need to deepen relationships. It's like, how can I just need to ask a question? How can I be better for you? Yeah? And it can make such a difference, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because we can think that we're like I can be sharing my husband with all this affection. Yeah, but it's not it's not landing as much as if I'm like, you know, doing doing more acts of service, do you know what I mean? Like, obviously he loves the affection too, but he's the way that he feels loved different to the way I feel loved. So a lot of times in relationships, we give to the person the way that we want to be loved instead of what is it that really makes them feel loved. I was thinking about Obviously, we talked about your childhood and then I know that you went into modeling at quite a young age. Yeah, I think about it now, and I'm like, my son is fifteen, and I started modeling at thirteen thirteen, and my mom was with me on all my photo shoots up until I was seventeen and traveled to Japan alone.
Speaker 2: I was like, I seventeen.
Speaker 1: Seventeen and at the time there were no mobile phones. I had to call from a calling card. And yeah, how.
Speaker 2: Did you start modeling? Was it something that you seeked out or was it something that found you.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine entered myself and herself into a modeling competition and it was called Dolly Magazine, and it was just like a young girl's magazine. And I actually won that magazine like to cover girl, oh wow competition, And it was really that that started the introduction to modeling. But I never let it interfere with school, so I made sure I graduated grade twelve, and then I went on to travel to Japan and then Paris and Milan and then New York and all these places.
Speaker 2: How was that industry for you? Was the what was the moment where you felt like, Wow, this is I've actually really made it and I can't believe this is my life? And then what was the moment where you thought maybe this isn't Was there ever a moment where you thought maybe this isn't what I want to do? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were plenty of times when I was like I would call my dad. Remember calling my dad once when I was living in Paris, and I was like, Dad, I don't know, Like I really don't know if this is what I meant to be doing because I want to make a difference. I always knew I wanted to make a difference to people's life. And I was like, how am I making a difference to people's life? Like by modeling? Like what am I actually doing? And He's like, Miranda, every day you're making a difference by being you. You're showing up to set, You're talking to these girls, You're teaching them about health and wellness. And my mum had a pillow from when I was young and would say, let your little light shine. And so he's like you're shining your light and doesn't matter what you're doing, you're shining your light. And I was like, Okay, I'll take this opportunity. I kept thinking, I'll save my money, take the opportunity make I would make Hey while the sun shines and create my own business afterwards. And that's what I've done, and modeling gave me the opportunity to do that, and it actually lasted a lot longer than I ever expected it to. And I never expected that I would ever be in the position that I was in as a victoria Secret Angel, and to be the first Victoria's Secret Angel Australian Victoria's Secret Angel. I remember I went on a student exchange program with a couple of my friends, Alison and Lauren, and we went on a student exchange program from our town to Virginia. And it was so funny because we were like fourteen, yeah, and we were living in Virginia for three months on this exchange program and my host parents took us to so many fun places, like we went to Dollywood and then I saw Victoria's Secret for the first time, and I remember thinking they never had seen anything like that in Australia. There was nothing remotely like that. So that was just like whoa, And to think fast forward, how many years ahead there I would be up there like it. That's just like mind blowing to think because I would have never put myself in that category. And so it was pretty surreal that whole experience with Victoria's Secret and walking the runway. But the funny thing about me is I'm kind of like, I don't know if it's because I'm Australian. I'm like, don't take myself too seriously. So I'm like, Okay, let's just have fun with this and you know, enjoy it. So I'm running, I'm walking down the runway and I'm like hey, and like being cheeky and doing the week at the end that everyone's like, oh, that's your signature thing. I was like, that's just something that's part of my nature. It's a little bit like Miles mischievous, cheeky. Yeah, we do say cheeky all the time. And yeah, to be honest, my grandma was a bit cheeky too, so I probably got it from some family runs in the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously modeling can be a very incredible but I'm sure difficult, oh too. What would you say, were some of the hardest moments during that that time of your life.
Speaker 1: There's so much rejection. There's so much like so many no's. So you walk around and you meet ample people and no matter which city you're in, and you go to multiple castings today and then you might get like one callback after you've been to like thirty castings and the rest are all knows. So there's a lot of like rejection. But I always knew that it was a little bit of like I'm going to just enjoy this opportunity and see what comes from it. And lucky I had that kind of strength from my upbringing that it was never about what was on the outside, it was more about what was on the inside. So I was like, I'm just going to see where this takes me and if this can like if I can continue to save money, i might as well, because this is a short term career and and then I just enjoy it while I can and save money and see the world and experience different cultures, like I remember first going to Japan and I just absolutely love the culture. And how like when you live somewhere your shoes are pointing in but then when you're just a visitor. They're pointing out, like there's these different normal traditions that I learned along the way, and.
Speaker 2: I don't know it.
Speaker 1: It's been a fun ride. It's also been one that taught me a lot of resilience. Like there I had to obviously miss a lot of my friends' weddings and special events, because when you have a contract, you can't just be like, oh, I'm out of here, like I've got to go to a friend's wedding. No, you have to be there and you show up. But I don't think. I don't remember ever canceling like being sick and canceling a modeling job.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, is such a commitment that you have to make.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Would you say that you have always been a confident person. I would say I was kind of like a bit of both, Like I can be a little shy, which is weird, but then I also have this side of me that's like like whoo hi, so and then when you look at my astrology chat, it has that so it has like a cancer moon bit of Leo rising. So I love being home and a homebody and I can be like the little crab, but then the Leo comes out and I'm like, there's no business like show like in New York, just you know, having fun. Yeah. But and so would you say being in the modeling industry help to actually uncover and maintain your confidence or if there were moments where you felt insecure, how is how would you deal with that and how did you kind of make it through?
Speaker 1: I think modeling is the worst thing for your confidence because you're constantly compared to other people, and then you rejected for your appearance, right, And there was so much rejection and for so long I was also put into a category of the catalog model, like and then eventually you get a breakthrough. I had a breakthrough where I turned into fashion because Steven Mazell believed in me, and another photographer, Willie vander Pier, and then obviously Nicholas Gesquier, you know, who was at Balenciaga at the time. So those people believed in me and they switched me from like it was very it wasn't very common for a catalog model to go into fashion, you know, and so that was quite a big deal. So and then it was fun being in fashion because it's much more creative and it's much more about like you learn a lot about but both were good. I mean, I mean the catalog was was hard work as well, like the long hours.
Speaker 2: In the industry where obviously so much just focused on your external appearance and beauty on the outside. Has your idea of beauty changed over time and as you've gotten older, how has you know? How have you want obviously coming out of the industry, been able to disconnect necessarily from focusing so much on that, and has it affected you as you've gotten older.
Speaker 1: One funny thing happened to me when I was shooting. It was like a Razor commercial or something in South Africa, and the producer, the woman, she had so much confidence and she had so much self love and it just oozed out of her and she was way more attractive than the really on paper picture you know girls that I was working with for this commercial shoot, because she genuinely had an appreciation for her soul. And that was to me. I was like, wow, It's like it must have been eighteen nineteen at the time, and I was like, that's really what this is all about, because it's really not pretty when you are not in touch with your soul. And she was really in touch with her soul. And she was not what you would typically say on paper that someone would say, is you know.
Speaker 2: What you would expect?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then but her soul was so alluring, and I realized we're all energetic beings, and we're all so different. It's amazing to think that, you know, we each have eyes and ears and mouth and a nose, and we're all so uniquely different. Like imagine that, like and we all have something uniquely different inside of us that we need to bring to this world. And we're also interconnected with each other definitely. You think about when someone walks into a room. I always noticed this exactly what you said about the leader you worked with. Where someone walks into a room, and depending on how how they're carrying themselves, how they're walking, the words that come out of their mouth, the energy that they're carrying, it can completely transform someone's physical appearance. Oh, just by how they're interacting with you, just what you said, things that who's out of a person. So it's not what you can see most of the time, it's actually just how they make you feel, the energy that they're bringing towards you, what you're saying about the connectedness. It's like we are constantly exchanging and enuy each other. Yes, and so eventually someone can be so beautiful and then they open their mouth or you experience energy and you're like, oh interesting, Yeah, and the same the other way around. And so I think it's you know, I always I love this quote that says, the least interesting thing about you should be the way that you look. Yes, And I was like, I couldn't agree.
Speaker 2: It's so true. I mean, obviously, there are some incredibly beautiful people in the world, and that's so wonderful to appreciate that too, but at the same time, being able to constantly remember that no one's going to think about that when I'm on my deathbed then just thinking about that.
Speaker 1: No one's thinking about that. They're thinking about the moments that you share together. They're thinking about you know, how you felt like I, yeah, that goes into a whole thing. But I believe that we will eventually feel the way we've made other people feel.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 1: So it's really important to be conscious of like the way we treat every single person that we ever come into contact with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree. And you obviously went from modeling to now becoming an entrepreneur Yeah, obviously still linked to beauty because you're in skincare, but a completely different angle. Could you share a little bit about core organics and tell me how you went into it and what brought you to creating these products.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I started Korra because when I was a teenager, my mum was diagnosed with tumors in a spleen.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So as a family, we had to look at everything that we were obviously ingesting and also what we were putting on our skin and what products we were using and you know, every what packaged goods we were had in our home, and so we went through a whole overhaul, and through that process, we realized that what you put on your skin syncs in and the skin is the largest organ So it was really important for us to be using products that were natural. But I also wanted products that were effective and results driven. So I was like talking to a friend of mine and I said, do you really do you think it's possible to create like certified organic? Because I know that an organic ingredient has up to sixty percent more antioxidants right than a non organic ingredient. Not only does it not get sprayed with the unnecessary pesticides, but it also has that abundance more antioxidants, which is why weird organic food. So I was like, how amazing would it be to create products that were truly certified organic? And this was back in two thousand and six. Oh wow, that's twenty years ago. Yeah, I wonder, I'm tired.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I'm like, you were thinking about it before it became before trendy.
Speaker 1: Before clean beauty was the thing. So now you know, there is a lot to be said, and I think it's great that the conversation is happening and that people are educating themselves and there's great places where people can search, like EWG. But from day one, I wanted to have a product that was certified organic. So we're certified organic through the World Certification Cosmos ECOST, which really is a very strict certification that you can have. So you don't have to take my word for it. You know that they're the one. They're the ones that have done the research and they ordered everything that we do, from our manufacturers to everything that's written on the packaging, to obviously our ingredients sourcing to Yeah, I mean it's a very hard process, which is why I think we're still one of the very few people like, well, it's fully organic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me about Cora. What does Kora mean?
Speaker 1: It's about like your mind, body and spirit. That was the intention, like your core self. But then we did Korra with a K because my last name was k and it just it just felt right, and it was one of those things when we were playing around with names and I was like, oh, core Cora, Cora with a C, I Cora with a K, and ill you remember as well, Oh, this feels right. Really resonated with me, and I wanted to make sure organics was on there just because it really does set it apart and it's what I was personally looking for. And from day one, the products have been filtered through rose quartz crystals. So every product is filtered through rose quartz crystals in the manufacturing process because I really believe in the energy and it's not for the efficacious benefits. It's just as an an addition for me to give my love, like put my love into the products. I mean, that's an extra step that I'm sure isn't necessary. Yeah, but it's what I wanted because I wanted it to nourish your mind. Your body and your skin when you're use in it. And so we use essential oils in our no fragrance obviously for their therapeutic benefits, but also their skin benefits. So this one, as I was saying, the chimric cleanser, we sell one every nine minute. People are obsessed with it because it has the peppermint essential oil in there, and it has Palo Santo in there, and then it obviously has the chimeric for the brightening effects. But when you use it in the morning, it's such a beautiful, invigorating, spar like experience. So you're cleansing your face with the Palo santo, you're cleansing your energy as well.
Speaker 2: Smells make such a difference. My favorite thing about skincare routine is the smells and the experience that you get at the beginning of the day and at the end of the night. Skincare is one of my favorite things to do.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's the best way to feel like you're giving yourself a little bit of luxury in your day. And this also, this one has also in there. This is a minti mist, so it has the So I do love peppermint, and I've heard you love peppermint and palo sander, so it clears your.
Speaker 1: Energy and oh so nice. Thanks, I need some much Sometimes I spray that all my kids when they get home. I'm like, okay, let's just do a little reset.
Speaker 2: Oh that smells amazing active algae, minty miss or I love peppermintman everywhere. Same on my stomach, yeah, in my head when I've got a headache, Oh, I do the same.
Speaker 1: And then on the back of the bottle there's a positive word. So on the back of the Nony glow face, well is bliss. So it's just like a little reminder because every word is every word that we think is so powerful. Every it's a vibration, and so I wanted to bless them with not only crystals, but also with the positive words. So, yeah, you mentioned nony Nony. Oh so actually niney is a key ingredient across the whole range. So every product contains ninny, which is a superfood superfruit.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure most people will not have heard of nony, So share a little bit about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm the only skincare range that has nonetfit. It has over one hundred vitamins and minerals.
Speaker 2: Wow, where does it originate from?
Speaker 1: Tahiti? But there it is grown in parts of Australia as well. And actually on my honeymoon with my husband, we had nony like fresh nony, and it doesn't it's not that delicous fruits. It's a fruit. Yeah, they call it the cheese fruit. It's been been used in Polynesia for so long just as like a wonderful way to kind of boost your immune system, and it has so many benefits, and it's something my grandmother introduced me to and I would have a little shot of noni and now I still have a little shot of nony and my kids go on and off it. The baby actually likes it right now, so that's good. He's like nony non In the morning, I have my nony and I have my coffee.
Speaker 2: And one are the benefits for your skin.
Speaker 1: So it's really great for your skin because it is basically very anti inflammatory, anti my microubial. And so I used to put nony directly on my skin like if I have had a pimple or if I had a son burn, and it would really help me with my skin. And so when I started Korra, I said, I want, no need to be the key ingredient. And when we first made the samples, it smelt terrible because of the nony, the way the nony smelt. But then obviously we found a way to freeze dry it and get the benefits without the smell. What is thenony?
Speaker 2: That's incredible? What what would you say is one of the things while you've been going through this process of creating Quorra that was the most surprising about the skincare industry that you feel people don't really know about.
Speaker 1: I think so many people just assume that products that are on this cell the shelf is safe, and that's what we assumed. And then when we read the fine print and I had this little book called the Chemical Maze, that's when we realized that there's so many unnecessary ingredients that are in these products that we're exposed to and using every day, And there is so much that we can't control, like the pollution outside, But there are so many things we can control. And that's why when we're regnant, we're told I'll be aware of what you put on your skin, But why shouldn't we be aware all the time of what we're putting on our skin? And choose products that can give you results that you need but are also healthy for you. And so our products we test as well for the you know, to make sure that there are results driven and so for instance, with our plant stem cell retinal alternative products, we tested die hard retinal fans and eighty five percent said they got better results using my plant stem cell retinal alternative, better and more powerful results than traditional retinal without the dryness, without the irritation. And they can use it morning and night, and it helps support the skin cellular turnover. It helps plump the skin. It helps with fine lines and wrinkles. It helps with the you should see the necks, the neck picture before and after on the fine lines and wrinkles.
Speaker 2: It's pretty wild. What's your morning skin care routine? And then you eating skin care routine.
Speaker 1: Take a while morning cleansed in the shower with the Chimeric foaming cleans that it's like a breath of fresh air is so invigorating. It's like it just like wakes you up, and it's like something that I would really miss, Like I just I really look forward to it. And then I'll use the Chimmerike scrub. If you haven't used that that is, Like, my husband uses that every day because he has drys skin. I use it every other day because it's like a microdermabrasion scrub that you can really dictate how aggressive you want to go with it or how gentle you want to go with it. And it's got these little rose hip seeds in there that gently sloth away the dead skin cells and has turmeric in there. So I believe in ingredients that are like superfoods that will put the nutrients back into your skin. And that's kind of why I love incorporating those ingredients like the chimrik in the noni and then the Kakadoo plum which is an ingredient that high in vitamin C from Australia and my mum used to give me the Kackadoo plum powder as a kid. Anyway, So after I cleanse my skin and do all that, I missed it and then I'll put a serum on. So I'll put on the vitamin C serum. Sometimes I'll you know, put on we have a turmeric nice cinamide as well, which is really amazing. So I'll do those two and then I'll do my trimric in the morning. Chimeric moisturizer, which is actually Katie Perry's favorite moisturizer, and then she keeps it with her everywhere, and the Nonyglow face oil, and then I'll do the Vitamin C I cream and then the eye oil. So that's the morning routine. And then at night we have an active algae calming cleansing bomb, which is so like it's so like it reminds me. It kind of ties into like this milky cleansing bomb that I feel like Cleopatra when I'm wiping washing off my makeup. It's like really beautiful. And then I'll double cleans using that cleanser again because I'm addicted. And then I will well, I have a body wash as well. Body wash, and then I get out of the shower and I'll do body lotion and body oil. My body oil is like a dream come true. It is the most luxurious body oil that I've ever come across. You would love it.
Speaker 2: I love body oil. I do.
Speaker 1: I have and I put it everywhere in between my toes and all my joints and so good everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorite reds. He's doing a body oil after I read it calls it up younger, and just this process of coming out of the shower, Yes, when your skin is ready to absorb all the nutrients. That's why it's so important what you've said about. You know, we think about pesticides and all these things when it comes to what we're feeding ourselves, but actually you put onto your skin is exactly the same. And so as I come out the shower, I usually do exactly that. I have this like women's energy oil that I use at the moment, and I just lather it on me. It's such a wonderful ritual. It's I love. It's so what you said about physical touch, even doing that for yourself, So it's such a lovely process of remind of on coming back into touch with your physical body after having such a long day or when you're feeling hectic and busy. I find going into a hot shower water is so cleansing. That's why the meditation that you said you do with your side, there is something about water falling on you that helps to release so much mass, energy, tension, same and then coming out and reminding yourself you are physically here by just putting a little bit of oil on your body yes, it can completely change your energy in your mood. If I've had a really heavy day, doing that process, just those two things can completely shift out feed. Oh it does. It sounds so small, but when you end up doing it, you're like, wow, God that I realized.
Speaker 1: This just makes such a difference. And I love it that they have a younger. You're in all the joints. And I do it to my baby too, and he loves it. A little baby massage. Oh, massage his legs.
Speaker 2: He's a little feet and he's like he's ten and he's still like, can I have a little massage. I'm like, of course, you can. Growing pain.
Speaker 1: My other boy are not as much, not as much into it, but they were when they were little. So I've used that oil on them from birth when they were little. And my two year old still loves it. And then he when we like because I often take a bath with him and then we get out and I'll like put the oil on him, and then he's like mummy and he'll like start putting on me, and I'm like, yes, Mummy's down now.
Speaker 2: It's just a nice practice to do together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there anything right now that you are working on or are really excited about bringing out, whether it's with Cora or in other parts of your life.
Speaker 1: I have quite a few things, so I make teacups as well. So how I have the teacups and jewelry that I that I make, I'm just the you know, the designer for those and the teacups or the Australiana Collection. Actually bought you a teacup, which I'll show you.
Speaker 2: I love tea so much as you tell yes.
Speaker 1: With Cora, it's just I'm at this stage where I'm trying to get it out there more because for so many years during Cora's life, I've been pregnant, and so I'm trying to now make people aware that there's something out there that you can get incredible results from and look online at the before and after see the results and you don't have to compromise your health. And I think that people deserve that. Like it's been my passion project, Cora Organics, It's not it hasn't been like a business minded project. It's really been a labor of love that I want to give and share with people. I haven't taken a cent out of the company. I've just reinvested it so that I can create, you know, a better team and better products and more testing, more, you know, so that we can really show people that they can get the benefits they need in a way that's not detrimental to their health. So it's really about getting that out more for me right now, and then obviously working on the book with my son, and then you know, maybe getting these meditations out that I just recorded and maybe doing more of that, because I find that something that really lights me up is kind of meditating and sharing with especially with children.
Speaker 2: There's something so special about as soon as you find something that really helps you, whether it is your skin care, whether it is your meditation practice, there's a natural desire to want to share with other people, to create that for themselves. Like you want other people to feel the happiness that you get from something. You want someone to experience what you feel when you come out the shower and put a body or on such simple things. But the desire to share something that's made you happy with other people, and it's such such a beautiful thing to be able to do it, to be able to give in the platform to do it, to be able to have the resources to actually share it with other people. I think it's so special in whichever way is a tea cup, to have a delicious cup of tea exactly to enjoy that moment exactly. So it's so wonderful that you're choosing to take all the things that have made you happy in your life and actually share it with other people. I think it's a really wonderful quality and something that we have the desire to but sometimes don't know how to.
Speaker 1: And I was so fun that I was able to create a r like from my Heart to Yours with the little Heart collection, Like I was like, Oh, I really want to create these like hearts that like when people feel like it connects them to that part of themselves. And yeah, and you know, I think being connected with your heart is such a powerful a powerful place for everyone. And some people might be like, oh, there's too much pain there, but actually it's when you sit with that and you can there's so much growth in that. Yeah, you know, I want I'm through the challenging times definitely. And on that note, have you had any experiences in your life We've gone through difficult times. And for any women that are listening to this that are struggling in their life, is there any advice that you have for them. I feel like so many women look up to you and admire you, and so is are there any words of wisdom or something that's helped you get through a difficult moment in your life. There's so much power in the present that we don't necessarily fully appreciate, and so it's like being in the present with those that really that you feel that you resonate with and you know, and being connected with people and being connected with nature, being connected with yourself, coming back to like putting your feet in the grass, like watching the sunrise, and and being grateful for those moments and really just having that kind of that reverence for creation and all that is. And the fact that, like I don't know, having that attitude of gratitude is something that I feel is helpful even in the hard moments, because you know that through that challenging time there will be more growth and that it won't be this painful forever. And so like, yeah, having perspective and understanding like I'm going to feel whatever I'm feeling and not push it away or push it down, like let and I think as women as well, let ourselves feel whatever we feel. For so many of us. Even sometimes that anger might come up and we're like, no, I'm not an angry person, like that's it. Yeah, and like no, I'm like happy. But I think it's important to actually embrace it and feel it and be like I'm actually feeling angry right now and I need a moment, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: I think if you don't, then it will just builds up and then suddenly it seeps into areas of your life that you don't even want it to. Yeah, you don't even realize.
Speaker 1: And it causes blockages in our energy centers. And we don't want that. We want to feel like here, I am putting my shoes back on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have these a little fill in the blanks. Okay, it can be one word, it can be a sentence, whatever comes to your mind. So it's lately I've been craving.
Speaker 1: The morning sunshine.
Speaker 2: We've had a lot of that lately. It's so nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really love it. Like I get excited about waking up see the sun and just being under it for like five minutes in the more exactly. Yeah, I think that's really important. Lately, I've been reading, so I'm reading two books, The Field by Lynn mctarget and it talks about how we're all interconnected and I'm really loving that. And also I'm reading a book by Yogan under the Journey to Self Realization, and I just feel like on every page there's just like just a little seed of wisdom and something to just kind of sit with. And so I'm I like reading a couple of different books at a time. I'm the same, yeah, and I just feel like they're kind of a little interconnected, but they're different in their own way. She's more science based and he obviously is science too and spirituality. So I'm really enjoying both of its amazing. And then also David Hawkins. If you haven't read Power Verse Force, they're just any of David Hawkins. The Hawkins h A W K I N S.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I'm going to add them to my list.
Speaker 1: I love like that not Hawkins Hawkins powervers Force or Transcending the Levels of Consciousness really great book.
Speaker 2: Okay, added to my list. Yeah, I'm currently I'm unlearning.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I'm unlearning. I'm trying to like like not have because I do everything on my phone, so and I work from home and I use my phone as my computer. So I'm kind of unlearning like the like automatic pick up, yeah, scrolling. Yeah, I'm like, I don't really need to check my emails right now. I can just be in this moment. So I'm kind of wanting to unlearn having to do and just actually have a moment to just like, Okay, I'm gonna just have a moment. If the baby's asleep, I'm gonna have a moment and just put my feet outside in the grass and like look at the light shining through the trees and just like be in this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's something I'm really working on, is not covering up noise with noise. Yeah, and your mind is like noisy. I think the tendencies put the music louder, or distract yourself or do all those things that actually, when your minds screaming at you, that's when you're supposed to stop and listen rather than trying to cover up with everything. And so that's that that resonated with me for sure. Yeah, right now I need more quiet moments. Yeah, and time time to have quiet moments. FATA. My skin can't live without hmm.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the chimmering foaming cleanser but also the non Anglo body.
Speaker 2: A really good cry feels like, oh.
Speaker 1: Such a good release. It just feels like cleansing.
Speaker 2: Definitely, the most used app on my phone is obviously Snapchat. That's what I communicate with, you know, my friends and family, my husband Althoy were sending little snaps, but also the Aura ring app. I'm a little bit addicted to checking like that or my stairs. When I need advice, I call.
Speaker 1: I call my husband, I call my mom. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I feel low, I.
Speaker 1: Go out in nature, just put my feet in the grass, try and get all the sunshine.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Thank you so much, thank you. This has been so wonderful. It's just so nice hearing your story and so much and hearing about everything that you're doing with such an inspiration to so many people, and I'm sure they're going to get so much from hearing about your life but also all the things that you've learned along the way.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks for having me.