Speaker 1: Right justin middle of a field for fifteen bring Russ in front of a leading Lions in his way. I am Jeff Joni hitsus on dot up. What was like playing for Coachy Boddom.
Speaker 2: I don't want to answer any questions like that.
Speaker 1: Sixty one yards? What's Sunday stroll for? Justin field? Ye Bears et Cetera with the voices of the Chicago Bears Jeff Joniac Day two of Bears training camp in the summer heat, fans and sponsors enjoying after a Wednesday indoor practice the outdoors and boy it was hot. Talked to a couple of players cleaning. TJ. Edwards say he lost six or seven pounds in this heat. And my partner on Bears et Cetera today, episode two, mister Tomtare, knows all about that. If you were practicing in that heat today, and I know you and I watched practice from upstairs. We had other commitments, but we watched indoor, so we weren't sweating it out today. How many pounds would you lose in a given day at you know, in a.
Speaker 3: NOPAD practice, I would probably lose ten to twelve. I if I was in a fully padded, full goal practice, I would probably lose closer to eighteen or nineteen pounds, no weight.
Speaker 2: The same weight I lost, it would be gained.
Speaker 3: It would be gained back by the time we want to practice through just to continuously put fluids in your body and the food you get to eat.
Speaker 2: But love.
Speaker 3: You know, well, when the coach talks about developing a callousness of a team, this is how you do it. It's not making it easier on them. It's making it harder on everybody because everybody that goes in that locker room they got something to complain about. But you're all complaining together. It's not a negative complaint. It's a positive team building complaint because it's so freaking hot.
Speaker 1: I got to go back to that though, So you're telling me your weight could fluctuate nineteen or twenty pounds a given practice.
Speaker 3: Seriously, you you could go back into the analogs of the Chicago Bears, because we weighed in and out of every single practice, every single day, and they kind of monitored that, and it would be kind of a not a contest, only a contest with yourself because you go, okay, I weigh to eighty three when I went out to practice. Now, after practice, I weigh two seventy one, but then you weigh in the next morning before practice and you're two eighty three. You know, it's it's it is the fluctuation of the water that escapes your body and then there's no time in your life that's more fun to eat. Yeah, all right, where you can just eat as much as you possibly can.
Speaker 1: Well, and they still do that. They they test their weight and make sure what it is in and out because they're very mindful of it. And that's been a big, big part of the sports science in this building and throughout the National Football League. So it was just something interesting to me that seems such a large number. My gosh, I wish I was so fortunate time.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you a funny story at the end of my career. So as a as a player.
Speaker 2: We have a thing that we wear and it's called a girdle, and.
Speaker 3: It's a piece of equipment that you pull on that you used to put pads in, and it's kind of it's a girdle, that's what it is. So when I went down to Miami, I had such a hard time holding my weight because it was one hundred degrees every day, and I was losing weight. And so every Thursday, every Friday we had away in day where they had this guy that stood right next to you and chartered your weight. And so when I went down to Miami, I would wear a girdle and then I would stick a ten pound plate in my girdle and I would go in there, and I.
Speaker 2: Remember the guy saying, go. He goes, Damn, you're a thick guy for skinny you look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know that was set off alarms, right, you know, yeah, I might have to put somebody else in there a little sturdier, right, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's and that's again at the end of the season in Miami, in those circumstances. Now, these guys have a couple of days really to fight through. But I think it's a really important part of the team building.
Speaker 1: Game day snacking calls for good foods. Chunky guacamole made with has avocados, tomatoes, onions, cilancho, and a squeeze lime juice. It's the perfect snack to watch, well the Bears win, score some today at your local grocery store. Game day is guak Day, and Day two had a lot of excitement that brought with it. You know, we'll recap the first two practices. Actually first one was indoors because of the weather and the air quality problem, so fans were not able to come on the first day. But you know, one thing stuck out to me outside of the obvious, and that's Dj Moore in the connection with justin fields and the deep ball and their connection. But the attitude of the defense. Tom fiery. They it didn't take much to get him excited indoors, and it was you know, that's a closed quarter so you really feel them, and it's it's across the board, the young guys getting into it and break up a pass, Bam, They're getting they're getting excited. Loose ball in the field, they're scooping and trying to score, getting excited. Same thing happening at practice again today. That defense is coming in hot right now in terms of their attitude and how they approach things. I'm really impressed with that aspect of But then of course the QB one and and Dj Moore wearing number two in your Bears jersey, that's getting a lot of ink right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we I think about the defense, the defensive football players how they're running around, they're kind of an extension of the coaches that they have because this is a high energy group of defensive coaches that have that expectations of whatever segment they're coaching. So it's nice to see a reflection of the coaches on the practice field and you get those results of knocking down passes, creating some fumbles and trying to do what you're supposed to do as a defense. And then on the offensive side of the ball, Yeah, it's this team is all about growth, recognition, familiarity, making sure the different segments that are growing together become familiar with each other. So when you do hit this thing running at the start of the regular season, everybody's on the same page.
Speaker 1: And certainly there's we're getting and you mentioned it today. We're going to talk every single day about justin fields and every day can't be a referendum on whether or not he's going to be a superstar or a great starting quarterback or not in the National Football League. And I know it's important for you to evaluate every single pass, including you know why it was or wasn't completed, and that can also bear fruit if it doesn't work right, So you know, you go back to the drawing board, you adjust, and you get in the same page with your receiver. Because there were some drop passes, there were some off target throws, and they're always going to have that. But everybody's trying to chart every single step in the process that comes naturally with the quarterback position.
Speaker 3: You know, it seems like every single play runner pass, we always look at timing and tempo of the play and then the result of the play. But when you're watching a quarterback as much as we watch Justin and how much we pay attention to every one of his reps, I'm not gonna I'm not going to be critical of an incompletion, just like sometimes yeah, you make an easy completion and that's the way the play is drawn up. But I like the fact sometimes there's an incompletion as a result of Justin moving his eyes, changing his sightline, having trust in his arm, having faith in the receiver can catch a late notification of a pass.
Speaker 2: So it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 3: And listen, man, this is day two, you know, when we're talking in day fourteen fifteen, when we're doing this podcast, when they're practicing it against Indianapolis. There's going to be a whole different narrative to how we talk about him day by day.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we met the fine folks from panc Bank and some of their clients today in the viewing suite over the practice field. Those are always fun for us. We could tell stories, take questions and you know there is a lot of questions about you know, where is Justin's development? Where is he at? And a comparison comes up every single time, and you know how I feel about it. You know, they want to make a comparison to the Jalen Hurts all the time. Year two was big for Jalen Hurts, but year three was bigger. Justin fields. Year two was big, became a big name because of his legs and some of the big throws he made. But dynamic run and we know he's got that in his hip pocket to get him out of any kind of trouble or if he sees an instinctual time to take off and go, go and make a big play. But everything can't be a comparison to what happened just recently. I know it's easy to do. People like to bring that up because he did have a takeoff here, and he had aj Brown coming aboard, just like the Bears now have DJ mooreboard. How do you frame that and how do you look at that discussion and those improvements towards somebody like a Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 2: Well, you look at the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 3: They spent quite a bit of time building up this roster underneath Jalen to make sure when he got to where they think he can get to, he's going to have a dynamic.
Speaker 2: Supporting cast to work with. That's number one.
Speaker 3: But when you look at the comparisons between Justin and Jalen, first of all, it's the template of each other. They look very similar, They're both great athletes. They both have tremendous arm strength. To me, I still think Justin probably has the upper hand and just natural long ball accuracy. That's the one element of his game I wish and I hope that he can thrive on more with the receivers as they're developing. And then because of Luke Getzi here two years in a row. Same terminology, and I keep talking about that because this is not terminology that you want to memorize, it's terminology that you want to know, like your second language. And that's where Justin has to be able to improve in the knowledge of the system to how it best fits the play called.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a conversation with Darnell Mooney yesterday and we got into a little bit about his rehab and how he's coming along and what that journey was like. We're going to get into that a little bit later here on the program, but you know, on what the goals are and he said, well win, but you know, bombs away. They want to put the ball in the air, and he goes, we are not messing around. That was the quote that stuck with me about Darnell. We are not messing around that wide receiver room and that relationship with Justin fields and the work that's already been put in, and the work that Justin expects his receivers to put in even after practice with him. It's important he needs that and they need him in that regard, and that is something that Justin and Mooney started last year the year before working together after practice. Last two guys off the field.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, every quarterback receiver could probably echo those same words that we want to go deep, and we want to go deep offen But what's happening on your line of scrimmage. Are you getting the projection that you need in order for the receivers to get in a winning pace versus the defensive back they're facing. Are you running the ball successfully enough with enough influence that you can have play action pass that gets defenses totally off balance where you can take a take a shot at a guy that's peaking in the backfield. So you know what, you look at those receivers out there, and from IQ Saint Brown to Claypool to Darnell to DJ and all the other guys. I'm going to leave guys out because there's so many guys out there.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of speed out there.
Speaker 3: So if you can develop everything that you need on the line of scrimmage to help you be that attacking downfield football team, Listen, man, you got the quarterback that has the arm and he's willing to throw it.
Speaker 1: Now they get a combination of a basket ball team and a track team, and you got to put Tyler Scott in there, because when the ball's in his hands and I saw him return a couple of punts, he can hit the guests. The rookie out of Cincinnati he's got some speed. So all that together there's a mix and match as we bring You the Bears, Etc. Podcast Episode number two with Tom Thayer, Jeff Joniac United Airlines Official Airlines of the Chicago Bears. All right, I was in the cafeteria to today Tom ran into a surprise. I get next to somebody that we both know and respect, and I say, can I buy you a cup of coffee? It's Cole Comet and he got a big smile on his face. So fifty games into his NFL career, he's got a fifty million dollar contract. The numbers look great for him for a job well done over the course of growing in his first three plus years. Now in the National Football League, this is year four and they still see a high ceiling for this guy. But you know what really struck him, and he is a humble guy. He is. We've got to know him. We've done many events with him outside of the building, and he's just classy, mature, and you know, he reminds me a lot of you, honestly, as a guy that just respects playing in that uniform for the Chicago Bears growing up here. But you know what struck him, and I want to ask you more about this. From your perspective, is that what he wasn't really mentally ready for was the reaction he got in the locker room. Guys just genuinely happy for him, his position, Coach Jim dre emotionally happy for him. And when the guys as they say that you know the kids today, they say, the players today, they get the bag, the money bag. Right, Well, he got the bag and everybody's happy for him. And I think it sends a larger message because there haven't been many guys in the last five six years that have earned a second contract. Eddie Jackson was the previous one in twenty seventeen after a great season, but it has not happened very often. Cole Comet is the next guy since that time, more guys are going to be looking. And that is a mission for Ryan Polse. He met the media briefly today Tommy up here and echoed that again. He said that when he got the job, he'd like to reward his own and this is the first one for him. Your reaction to all of that and what it means as a former player, saw guys get contract extensions every other year during your time with the Bears.
Speaker 3: Listen, our time with the Bears was a different collective bargaining agreement.
Speaker 2: It was more of a struggle of negotiation.
Speaker 3: There was never that generational wealth player that got rewarded for his lifetime and lifetime of his kids, and so it was kind of a different battle back then. But I super envy these guys that have the opportunity to get rewarded for all the effort they've put in since they've been playing pee wee football or pee wee baseball or any sport that you played growing up in just the development of your athleticism or was it going to lead you to And so I'm excited for Cole. I'm excited for his family. He comes from a football family with his dad and his uncle and everybody else a board, and hey, it just I think it's significant message inside that locker room, if you pay attention to the details, you put in the effort that's expected of you, that you're going to have a chance to be rewarded handsomely for your investment in yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah well yeah, people say it energizes the locker room, and it is because you know, if you don't back it up, if you don't back up. It's just lip service, right, So you got to back it up. As a general manager, Ryan Poles is following through on everything he said he's going to do and what he wants to do. And that's a great first step. Everybody notices.
Speaker 3: And what I like about it is is inside the locker room. When I was playing with some really really close people to me that I developed more than a football French ship with, I saw them go through real struggles in their negotiation and you know that's kind of a difficult message to bring down to the locker room. Then some other guys are concerned about it. So when you talk about you know, Cole for what he's been able to earn and how it lights up the locker room, it does. It sends a great bright message to like I said, everybody about their work habits and what they're you know, how they're going to be rewarded if they do it right.
Speaker 1: All right, A bit of a quiz for you. So you're head coach and Hall of Fame Chicago bear Mike Ditka of course, helped revolutionize that position. Carson looked to guys like John McKee and and some great tight ends over the history of the National Football in the early days. But I believe Ditko was the first to go to the Hall of Fame at the tight end position. And thank god he didn't follow his other pursuit. He wanted to be a dentist, as you might remember, at the University of Pittburgh. I just find that hard to believe. Pulling teeth. He guys made you pull your own teeth. However, name the only the tight end to make the Pro Bowl since that time in the nineteen sixties from the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 4: Wow Parsons, Bob Parsers now as a Potter, Yeah, yeah, No, mart Martellus Bennett.
Speaker 2: He made it.
Speaker 1: He made the Pro Bowl in twenty fourteen, and that was a free agent signing, of course. But then a year later he was no longer a Chicago Bear. But that that is something that you know, alternate or did he make it? He made the Pro Bowl? Yes, he made the Pro Bowl in twenty fourteen. However, there's something about like you and I both love the running game. We're always going to love the running game. We love we love the play in the trenches with the offensive line. And I've always loved safeties and I love tight ends, and it's been a long time. I believe Cole has Pro Bowl potential. And I believe that not because of the money that's attached to his name. Now I just see him stair climbing. He's still only twenty four years old. It'll be November, I believe, or March. Pardon me, then will he'll turn twenty five. So he's still a young player that's going to be in a system now for a second straight year, And like Justin Fields and the rest of them, I believe he has that potential. Now how that works? You know, this league with Travis Kelce is the gold standard obviously of the type of tight end. George Kittle, the type of tight end is going to garner a lot of attention, a lot of yards and a lot of touchdowns. But I'm not putting anything passcal now.
Speaker 3: You know, I think this tight end room has the beginnings of a really positive atmosphere in kind of a young building tight end room that's gaining experience, and that it has some experience from Robert Tunyn and stuff from other successful organizations. So and I think that what they can contribute to the line of scrimmage, whether they're spread out wide or in a blocking position, from h back to fullback to tight end or backside. They have the qualifications to do everything, and Cole, uniquely enough is qualified to do every one of those jobs.
Speaker 2: All those other guys they're.
Speaker 3: Good at something, but Cole is good at everything that's asked out of a tight end.
Speaker 1: Score huge savings on an impressive lineup of items with jewel oscoll for you. This handy app features hot digital deals on everything from premium produce and savery snacks too, butcher fresh meat and more. Get additional details at jewelosco dot com. Jeff Joniac, Tom Fare welcoming you to version two of the Bears Etc. Podcast. Had a couple of folks already enjoy it big time. They love your sense of humor, they love your storytelling, and so you know, we'll continue on that regard because you know, the funny thing is, and I was on Wattle and Sylvie yesterday on ESPN one thousand, our new flagship home for the Chicago Bears, and Watto asked where you were, and I said, well, that one's my fault. I told them to turn around and go back home because practice was going to be indoors with no pads, storms were brewing on. I knew it wasn't a good idea for you to come up here. And that's not your bag, right, Like you love watching practice, but you know it's just not your thing. But the big wait, the big reasons. Wait, the big reasons. Wait, wait, the big The big reason was the air quality. And you were scoffing at that, right, because back in the day, do you think you had days in Platteville, Wisconsin when the temperature spiked that you had practice wiped out because of poor air quality? No?
Speaker 2: No, So you know it's kind of funny.
Speaker 3: Back in the day of transition transistor radios, so we want we had a transistor radio plugged into the back where everybody.
Speaker 2: Used to line up to get their ankles taped.
Speaker 3: And they always had a six thirty am Farm and Agricultural report, and so they would say, okay, this is the temperature, this is how you should treat your livestock.
Speaker 2: So once we had.
Speaker 3: A week it was about one hundred and five hundred and one for the whole week. And they have these live stock warnings out in the farm country to somehow cool your cattle down, keep them covered and try to get cold blankets over your horses and stuff, and so we kind of used to listen to that and chuckle and man as we are out there, we are out there stretching. You would have the guys that could yell with confidence, Hey, did get they were even letting the cows out of the bar today, What the hell are we doing out here?
Speaker 2: And you can know that it's guys like bing and Half and stuff like.
Speaker 1: That that can get it done well and be in the sweater that you are. Hey, you know, that was the first year I started covering sports in Chicago. I graduated in eighty December of eighty four. I caught a Michael Jordan game in his rookie year, and then one of my first assignments go cover the Bears at training camp. And what I remember all those years after was the sprints after practice. You guys were taking your stuff off before practice, but ended getting rid of the pads so you could make sure you could do those those guts or whatever you call them back then, and that had to be torture after a double day.
Speaker 3: So you had thirty thirty two seconds to complete the one hundred and ten yard run from the end zone to the back of the end zone and then you had a lightly jogg it back to make sure you could get back before you started your next one.
Speaker 2: And it was brutal. It was brutal, and it was something as soon as the whistle.
Speaker 3: Blew and we knew we were gonna have a half second talk to before we started running. It was a contest to see how quickly you could get your pads out of your pants, your hand pads off.
Speaker 2: You know. It was it was a real uh, it was a factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean practice is one thing, going up against guys like Ming and Hall of Famer in Dan Hampton and Hall of Famer Mike Singletary every day, and that defensive line, that defense in general. The sprints probably were a bit intimidating at that point when you're wiped out. How many did you have to do for practice?
Speaker 2: Ten minimum? Ten ten one tens?
Speaker 1: We see ten one tens in seconds? Did you ever? Did you ever fail the task?
Speaker 3: Never had a boy, never, But I did go back to my dorm room and cramp up so bad that the doctors had to run up in IVB until I was full of liquid again.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've I've been ivied once and we all know what it was. Do you remember the time and place?
Speaker 2: Yes, he got a cold in Denver.
Speaker 1: No, I was, I had I had the flu or something. You know. The altitude got me and uh, former Bears trainer Bobby Slater looked me up to an IV and made it through, did the TV show and still called the game, my friend.
Speaker 5: It was three degrees above zero. No, it was, it was, it was. It was three degrees above zero. And we are doing a live TV show. Yes, three above zero, that's what the temperature was. And then we are doing the live TV show.
Speaker 3: I'll outside and you know you are the same color as the new fallen.
Speaker 1: Snow exactly right. All right, let's get some more from practice here. In the first two days, obviously, they're just ramping up some of the injured guys, ramping up Darnell Mooney for one, Jack Sanborn for the other. Yeah yeah, and Mooney Mooney on the side doing sprints in between some of his reps as well, getting some seven on sevens. Dante Pettis on pup. That's essentially at everybody else at full tendance. Everybody's getting their work in. What else caught your eye, you.
Speaker 3: Know, what's catching my eye is athleticism on their feet of the front seven, and they have different combined packages with the defensive line that they brought in the free agents, the guys they have with experience in the right position, and then you kind of look at the linebackers and how they're flowing accordingly, when you look at the defense right now on their feet and you look at the job require requirements of shifting from one gap to the next of the snap of the ball, maybe running a sophisticated lin stunt, trying to get the offensive lineman off balance. And so what little I've seen, and listen, man, I'm holding off any strong opinions till next Wednesday when they start in full pads, and then a couple days after to see how they are playing in full pads when they're fatigued a little bit. However, the athleticism of the front seven, starting with the defensive line, is something that's caught my eye as much as any segment or element on the field.
Speaker 1: All Right, how about Darnell right five eight. Can't miss him. He is big, and he is light on his feet, and he is in great shape. You know, there's been a couple of plays where somebody's beating him across his face. But I'll tell you, he gets right back in there and jams those big hands into the chest of the defender immediately and stuns him back. I'm excited to see what that's going to look like in pads.
Speaker 3: You know a couple of things that I've taken from the offensive line. First of all, that dude is a monster. Yeah, he is a big man. When you look at him from the end zone, shot from behind the offense, you can see who's the widest guy on the line, and then you look at it from the defensive perspective. From looking at him, he dwarfs whatever defensive end, defensive lineman he's playing against at the time, and what he's doing, how creative his feed are his like I keep saying, his bendability, his hands, strike is all good again.
Speaker 2: For let's wait till the first team. This is my takeaway from that, though, Jeff.
Speaker 3: If you look at the offensive tackle Braxton Jones and Darnell, you've got really two bookends that can be there forever. However, this year in development of the offensive line, I think the two most important positions are going to be the offensive guards and you have Nate Davis taking a rookie in his hip pocket and kind of teach him him the little the intricacies of getting ready for seventeen games, how you play.
Speaker 2: The position, what you can do to an opponent to.
Speaker 3: Maybe get him off balance on a specific type of play. And then you look at Tevin Jenkins what he can ultimately develop into.
Speaker 2: It the offensive guard position. He could be really powerful now.
Speaker 3: If he can become that guy that's set in place now for the next six or seven years. And you talk about he and Braxton, how they can grow together. That's why I said he the offensive guard position right now going into the season is as important as any position on this team.
Speaker 1: Well, interesting, we're going on the interior because they're talking about the same way on the defensive front, because the defensive tackles. You know, we talked to your good friend and former teammate Leslie Frasier on our Bears Weekly show on ESPN one thousand a couple of weeks ago after his Hall of Fame induction into the Black College Hall of Fame, and he said, hey, you know, I think it was you. You asked him, Hey, if you're starting a defensive scratch where do you start? He said, the interior defensive line, defensive tackles to collapse that pocket, push it. And that's what we've heard from Matt Eberflus. Get that quarterback flush to the to the edge guys, so they have a shorter path to the quarterback. En So, are we going to be looking at the defense the same way as you're logging at the interior guards.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you know, the movement athleticism of defensive line is always more confusing to an offensive line who knows they have a stationary target right in front of them. You know, if I get my hands on them, I'm going to create a stalemate or win the battle. If you can get a defensive line, like I said, is very athletic on their feet, you're gonna get offensive line and they're going to be reaching for them, getting themselves out of position, getting their head too far in front of their feet, and the defense will create some openings for themselves. And when you look at what an offensive line is going to do, it's you know, I think we're going to see some just.
Speaker 2: Some great battles up there.
Speaker 3: But if you think of the Bears, when we were talking to Leslie in nineteen eighty four, they go to the FC Championship game, get beat. And then who's the first person they draft in eighty five? It's William Perry, so you got you got Steve McMichael and Dan Hampton. That are you know to all pros? You know, not Pro Bowl or they're all pros. And then you bring in Fridge so you can never have a Bears, etc.
Speaker 1: Podcast is brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears Jeff Joniak Tom There a few more moments to break down the first couple of days of practice and look ahead, I want to talk about that secondary buzzing around. I spoke today about this seeing number nine out there on the practice field with no pads and he still looks like a beast. And that is Jakwan Brisker. When you throw in Kyler Gordon. Now just going to focus solely on that nickel spot and able to move and get in the way and be that irritant in one of the most important positions obviously in the nickel the veteran Jalen Johnson, who's playing for something bigger as well, and not only as a winning team here, but his own contract situation down the road and then Tyreek Stevenson. It's not too big for this rookie. He is in there and he's got some big pause and he's got his gutsy player. I could tell he's confident. But great Stroman, a veteran, has had two quick, great days of practice. Five eleven and eighty pounder intercepted Nathan Peterman yesterday, broke up another pass. Had I think he had another breakup today. Played the final couple of games for the Bears last season against that Viking team. He had eight tackles and a pick. I remember that, but a late addition last season as he was recovering from injury. That secondary has some layers to it, and what do you think?
Speaker 3: And these layers because they have to contribute on special teams if.
Speaker 2: They're a part of the layers.
Speaker 3: However, when you look at two guys Brisker and Gordon, if you have Gordon playing one position and mastering one position, and then you have Brisker that can play at near the line of scrimmage and even deep, then you're talking about playing multiple defenses, being able to be confident in a lot of different fronts upfront because you're certain about your talent behind you.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm keenly interested in the punt return game. Now we both know, and you've said it. You pointed it out before anybody that Dante Petis is the cleanest hands in the punt game that you can possibly find. He's smooth as can be, outstanding at it. But you gotta give a longer look at Vayalis Jones his ability to break it big. We saw what he does when he gets the ball in his hands and he has a space to run, He's gonna run away from you. So he had two muff punts and his five punt returns last season. It came in you know, close proximity in the weeks that he did do that and that, and that yanked him from that. I think he worked extremely hard in this offseason. I'm told he had hundreds and hundreds of punts that he was fielding in that off period between the end of Veteran Mini camp and the start of training camp. Are you open to a second chance here for Vayalis Jones to try and win that job not only as a kick returner, but as a punt returners.
Speaker 3: Because I don't have to teach him courage. He has all that you need. He's seeing it take big hits. It's about ball security, making sure that when you're in a position where you're going to catch it, that you have that good, confident, comfortable catching position. That's first and foremost. Anything else beyond that is going to fail because if you don't catch it, you're not going to be able to return it. So I have all the faith in the world that Veilist that he has that high level of desire and he understands the competitiveness of this football team and how it's growing. This is where he wants to be. This is why he was drafted here. But just make sure secure the catch and everything else will work out.
Speaker 1: Right now, I want to ask you about his offensive ability, because everybody keeps saying, well, he's going to be a good gadget guy, and he did show that on occasion with the fly sweep. He did have a big play offensively last year on a forty four yard reception. But if you're only going to use him as a gadget, everybody knows that when he's out there, then do you see room in this receiving cord. Now with all the new additions and the developments, that we have seen here in the early stages of the twenty twenty three Bears. Because you only have so many guys in this league with game breaking speed that can really turn a short catch into a big play.
Speaker 3: The first thing I would challenge, and I would ask them to be above and beyond the call of duty is an outside blocker. If he could go down there and give the attitude of a Dennis McKinnon, and Dennis McKinnon put the fear of God in defensive backfields because he was such a vicious blocker. If Veylas could go out there and kind of put one or two of those on display in the preseason or early in the regular season, now they're going to be thinking about his blocking instead of his gadgetry. So show out. Let him go out there, Let him have a couple immediate blocks and bubble screens and stuff, and I think you'll start getting, you know, a different feeling for what he's capable of doing.
Speaker 1: Our Bears, etc. Podcast is brought to you by United Airlines, Airlines of the Chicago Bears and Miller Lite, the official beer of the Chicago Bears. Tastes like Miller Time Tom Chicago. Any final thoughts before we ramp up version two. We're going to do this twice a week during training camp and throughout the season, so we'll have a lot more discussion. But any final thoughts from what you've seen here in the first couple of days and what your hopes are for the remaining practices this week.
Speaker 3: You know, like I said, I'm here to get to next Wednesday, and I'm going to talk about the no padded practices and it does give you an opportunity to look at some of the new players they brought aboard. But my football is kind of on hold until next Wednesday, so I hope you can.
Speaker 2: Can you do any impressions or anything. No, I'm not good at that.
Speaker 1: I'm not good at that, so no, can't. I can't say I can't dance and I can't do impressions, but I can talk football and we've enjoyed it so far and we'll continue to roll on. Thanks for joining us, everybody. We'll talk to you next week. For Tom there, I'm Jeff Jonah. This has been Bears, etcetera. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: M