Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. Hello, and welcome to the Daily Show Ears edition. This is Ashton Walmack. I am a writer for the Daily Show, and we are back in the podcast studio with none other than Charlemagne and the guy. Welcome as brother a chilling, chilling. I want to talk to you about this piece we've been working on. Biden, fuck him up.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, Let's do it.
Speaker 1: This piece is very fun. I'm always interested in the ideas that you come in to bring. Last time we talked about DEI. This time we're talking about your in my opinion piece about the Democrats messaging to voters.
Speaker 2: Before Democrats even worry about explaining their side of an issue, they need to learn something more basic, how to talk like real people. Yeah, and I'm sure that possible. Yeah, and I'm sure that possible, because you know who's good at it talking not ask Republicans. The Biden administration shucks said communists, they're Marxists, they're radical left Democrats.
Speaker 1: The sick people. There were riots burning down the country over George Floyd. And I'm really sick and tired of the bullshit annex I have to deal with constantly.
Speaker 2: You see that you see that Congress could pay off the whole deficit by giving Marjorie Taylor Green. That's where jar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to tell me, what was the inspiration for the peace What about their communication is not getting to Charlottage.
Speaker 2: The inspiration for the piece was the fact that Democrats suck in messaging, the fact that they don't talk like normal people talk. And it's not about dumbing down like I saw somebody say that. Somebody say that. They was like, why do they have to dumb down? It's not about dumbing down. You could be the smartest person in the world, the most intellectual person in the world, if you don't know how to message what you know, what's the point of having all that intelligence. Part of being intelligent is being a great communicator and saying what it is that you know in a way that people can understand.
Speaker 1: Make the message palpable to the people so we can actually agree.
Speaker 2: With That's right. And I think for the past year what we've really been seeing when you have a person like a Donald Trump, you know, with all of the criminal charges, with the four years we saw him in the White House, we saw him leading an attempt to cool his country. He says things that he wanted to terminate the constitution to overthrow resultment election. We've seen him do all of this wild stuff, but yet he still could possibly win in November. That means that President Biden in his administration, whatever they're doing, they're not messaging to the people in a way that the people can understand and know. Okay, this is who we should absolutely ride with in November. Trump's more sincere about his lives and Democrats are about the truth. And I can tell you, I can tell you simple ways of why they're messaging is better. You know, they can say the boarder is fucked up, we got to close the border. People are coming into this country under documented things aren't safe, right, and people will hear that, like the people in communities will hear that, but more more and more importantly ask they'll feel it. I tell people got mad at me back in January because I was doing an interviewing somebody, U dude for Fox News. Joseph asked me. The Fox News digital guy asked me, do I think the border is gonna be a problem come November? And I said yes. And the reason I said yes, it's because I'm talking to people and people are telling me, like whether it's activists in Chicago and they're like, you know, we hate that these migrants are coming over here and getting resources that you know, homeless people here have never gotten. Are poor people on the South Side have never gotten. I'm talking to people here in New York and they're telling me about how, you know, their neighborhoods are unsafe because they're being over run by gangs that are coming in, you know, from from from from the border, and like, I'm like, wow, are when Mayor Eric Adams closed the school down for a day and made all the kids do remote learning while he housed the migrants fortnight, ul like that pisses people off, Like you know how many people who were calling the radio station mad about that. And I'm telling you real conversations that I had with people, not just on the radio, but people telling me in my eyes, looking me in my eyes in tears, wanting me to say something about what's going on in their neighborhoods. Are listening to these activists in Chicago when they're telling me what's going on. So when I repeat that, the left, MSNBC says, I'm spreading maga messaging. You know what I mean? Meanwhile, I'm just talking about them. I'm just saying what the people are saying. But guess what, you know who had been saying that Republicans.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when Republicans were doing things like putting you know, the migrants on the buses and on the planes and sending them to the sanctuary cities, and then now you got people in these sanctuary cities like the mayor Caatas, and they're like, Yo, no more, we can't do it, send them back, YadA.
Speaker 1: YadA, YadA.
Speaker 2: When you got Vice President Kamalahara saying, Yo, don't come over here no more. You got President Biden saying don't come over here. So when stuff like that happens, it makes it seem Likeservatives had it right the whole time. That's just good messaging.
Speaker 1: No, no, now, I hear you on that. I want to say, I hear you say, Democrats they're ignoring the crisis. Conservatives they say that, but they also add the racism part in it. That's like, how can you take the Republicans message at its whole value. Yes, they're talking about a problem like the border crisis, but they're also dragging in what feels like racism into it. How do you separate that?
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, But you don't, And I'll tell you why you don't, Because everybody gets what they want from whatever message you're delivering. All they're saying is something needs to be done at the border. That's it. So everybody will have their own different reasons as to why they think something should be done at the border. Yes, there's a lot of you know, Republicans who are just rooted in racism when it comes to it. But most people that I know, I'm not even talking about this Conservatives'. People that I know that are feeling the brunt of what's happening at the border right now are people who you know, feel like migrants are getting more resources that they've never gotten and because they feel like their communities are unsafe. So people forget what you did, they'll forget what you said, Ashton, They'll never forget how you made them feel. So it's just a feeling. So when you can tap into, you know, the language that reflects someone's feelings, you got them. You got them, and Democrats just haven't learned how to get them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just that simple, I feel you. It's the sanitize language they use. It's just talking in circles. They just do word salads to us, and it feels like we get nothing from them. Meanwhile, Republicans can come out and be like these Mexicans, am I right, and they'll be like, yeahs, I totally feel.
Speaker 2: It, and as wild right, everybody wants border security. It's not like Democrats don't want security. Everybody wants border security. They just want it. They want documented immigrants, right, Like it's really that simple. They want it. They want to be able to know who's coming in this country, why they're here, where they're at. All of that. We know that both parties, you know, say that's what they want, but one party, the Republicans, will say build the wall, right, and the Democrats are like, no, don't build the wall. But it's like, why are you saying that. You know that there needs to be some type of border security, whether it's a wall, whether it's a fence, whatever it is, you know it needs to be some type of border security. You just want it to be in a humane way, and you want to be able to treat these you know, individuals coming across the border like people. But it's like yo, they lose they lose. They lose the fight, and I want to and they both do this to each other. I'm not even going to say it's just Democrats. They both lose the fight because they're too busy warring about who's going to get the credit for closing the border or not closing but getting the border under control as opposed you know, they're worried about getting getting the credit as opposed to just you know, doing something for the people.
Speaker 1: Well, and I mean, I have not no listening. I'm not no Biden caper, no nothing. I'm just a black man in America. But what was it? What just happened? Trump basically told the Republicans, Yeah, Biden is about to do some immigration reform at the border.
Speaker 2: Don't do it.
Speaker 1: Don't do it, absolut wait until I do it. So even you know, And maybe that's a better messaging from Biden being him being like, hey, I've tried to bring some more control at the border. But Trump is telling his own people to stop me. He could be absolutely better on letting people know I try to do.
Speaker 2: A Biden should have said, what I thought you wanted to build the wall, I'm trying to help you finish building the wall. Let's build the wall.
Speaker 1: Biden starts saying, build the wall.
Speaker 2: I'm serious, I'm trying to help you build the wall. Listen, Let's build the wall, because all build a wall is is symbolism for we need to get the border under control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then we got to watch it because you know then be like also Kids in Cages, which is just a metaphor for.
Speaker 2: The kids in cages was around since President Obama. So it's like everybody needs to stop trying to politicize things and actually try to get things done for the American people. And the things you are getting done, you just got to know how to message correctly the folks absolutely, or even the things you want to get done, you got to know how to message correctly to folks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, that's optics and messaging is literally ninety nine point nine percent of battle. But speaking of we were talking about Trump and the GOP, but I want to talk about Trump appealing to black voters and his messaging to black voters. In the piece, we talk about how some black voters lean towards Trump because they appreciate when someone sounds authentic, even when they're lying. Do you think Trump's authenticity or bravado. Is that more appealing to people than actual policy.
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I don't believe that, you know, black people are leaning towards Donald Trump. I think all those poll numbers are overstated. I think what you might be getting right now is just a natural, you know, frustration that a lot of black people feel around this time of year. And by the way, I don't even know nobody who's been polled. You have been pulled.
Speaker 1: No, I've never been polled. I've never no one's asked me a single question on my pology. Not even get polled here when I got hired, Like.
Speaker 2: You's what I'm saying, So, who are these black people that they talking to? I don't see. I think the last number I saw was like twenty two percent of black people.
Speaker 1: That is always, that is always whenever you see Republican numbers for black people, just know it is ascwed. It's a right way to saying, take is not it is fake. Black people support Democrats and over we're the most consistent voting block for Democrats, and it's like, hands down every single year. So it's almost it's almost, uh, it's really patronized when people to act like black people are. We're becoming the reason why Trump or any Republicans are going to win when it's white women and white men.
Speaker 2: That's right. I don't even know why they keep trying to push Trump on us. It's like, nah, bro, that's you all, nigga, don't do that like that, Like Donald Trump is the Frankenstein monster of white supremacy, Like that's y'all. Like they ain't got nothing to do with us, okay, Like everything that y'all are experiencing with Donald Trump is what happens when privilege goals unchecked. Like, I ain't got nothing to do with us. I don't know why even try to keep pushing Trump Trump Trump on black people today? No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Well speaking, I think that goes directly to point out a question I was going to ask, how does black Republicans messaging to black people work for you? Because I'm gonna say I know what the piece is about, like how Republicans messaging is a little bit better, but personally, I think Black Republicans messaging is god awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's different, right, because I think one thing that people are making a distinction with is you know what a conservative is and what this new Maga shit is and there's a difference. And you know the Republicans who are just allowing MAGA to take over their party and they're allowing you know, MAGA to become what the Republican Party is. It's like, man, y'all are losing a lot of you know, real conservative values for this extreme you know, right wing shit. And it's and then you know, Republicans on the flip side will say, all the Democrats lost us because they got people that are too far left. So I think what you need right now is for people to just come back in the center, like you need more moderates on both parties because when I hear I've heard black conservatives talk throughout the years. I know plenty of black conservatives. I know mad black conservatives before this Maga stuff. They didn't sound as ridiculous, you know, back then as they do now because most of them just do that because of the economy. It's all financial. Literally, Republicans, most Republicans I know period.
Speaker 1: I'm one hundred percent with you all. My my uncles who are being Republican, they just they money. They just like money that they like Trump Trump said, Trump stand on business. I'm like half of his businesses are bankrupt. He ain't standing on not too many. But that's my uncles. They they are attracted to literally what you do money. That's it's a conservative thing.
Speaker 2: By the way. Uh, everybody is attracted. I don't want to say it's not even about being attracted to Trump once again. People will they'll forget what you said, they'll forget what you did. They just remember how you made them feel. People felt like there was more money in their pockets when Trump was in office, because it's what people forget. It was a pandemic here. It was motherfucking COVID. It took millions of people to die for you to get that stimulus check. And that's what it took. It took. It took millions of people to die in an economy to shut down for you to get those PPP loans and whatever other small business loans you was getting. But nobody cares to what we were just talking about about the racism with the border. Nobody cares because they only care about how they personally feel. So they got that check that said, oh, Donald Trump on it, and it was some extra money, and they got that twice. These pp P loans I'm from Monst Corner, South Carolina. You know how many people I know who got PPP loans, who got trailers now, who were able to get some renovations done on.
Speaker 1: Their house, not even there's no everybody I know, everybody I know, millennials, gen Z struggling there. It is no John Mark is terrible. Everybody I know. They got those little checks. It was the first time I've ever seen in my friend's life, like a light in their eyes. Yea freedom like they were like, I've never been happier than the moments I was getting those checks. And I didn't have to. You know, people were saying it was free, like they were just giving out free money, you didn't have to.
Speaker 2: But people died for that money. Yeah. And by the way, that's the only way that's going to happen for you again, is if there's another pandemic and we don't want that. And I'm gonna tell you something else. Democrats have a very elitist attitude when it comes to those stimulus checks. I've talked to so many you know, left leaning liberals, Democrats who are in media, and I'm not gonna say any of the these, but they've said things to me like, if you can be moved by a fifteen hundred dollars check or twelve hundred dollars check, whatever it was, then I don't want to fucking talk to you no way. And I remember telling that person you are out of touch with what's going on in the hood, My brother, you are out of touch with what's going on in our communities. Man. These people are strug gull leging it. And you've been rich too long. Yeah, if you hit fifteen hundred dollars, ain't gonna change somebody's.
Speaker 1: Dating, life changing money, life changing. Y. Somebody to give somebody two hundred dollars right now?
Speaker 2: The light?
Speaker 1: Just watch the joy fifteen hundred right and.
Speaker 2: And guess what you know? How uh, you know how ridiculous you have to be to ignore what you're seeing in front of your eyes. And what I mean by that is you're saying that that those stimulus checks couldn't be that effective. But people still talking about him four years later.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: You know who knew how? You know who knew how impactful they were going to be? Donald Trump? That's why he put his name on him. That's why he put his name on him.
Speaker 1: And I know that I know that's facts because when I was thirteen, I think I was thirteen eleven, George Bush dropped, he dropped some check, but Bushbucks br I remember that only coming I didn't get a single down for my mama. My mama went so happy.
Speaker 2: Ash I knew nothing. By the way, I knew nothing about politics. I wasn't even concerned about politics. But I remember in the hood when everybody was getting Bushbucks for the same reason you just said, because everybody, my daddy, my aunt's uncle, everybody was like, yo, we just got I think it was like eleven hundred, twelve dollars somebody, I don't think it was. That might be like seven hundred.
Speaker 1: That is so, I thought it was like three hundred. I thought.
Speaker 2: I don't even know. I don't even know if it was in the thousands. I just remember everybody was so excited that they was getting them bush Bucks.
Speaker 1: I remember Mama fixed the alternator on her Mustang, and I ignored all the ship that all the races was talking about. You know what I'm saying, just completely. I was like, yeah, y'all right, no, no, I'm able to ride to school now. I gotta ride to school now. Y'all gonna say whatever.
Speaker 2: The fuck y'all want. I had a whole because of bush Bucks. I said that President Biden needed to hold like a big town hall, and he needs to have, of course his vice president with him, but he should have all his like all the sarrogates that people actually appreciate, right, like the Governor Shapiro's, right, the Wes Moors. I would even have Congress women like Jasmine Crockett and AOC that would make it a big spectacle. And I would say, look, man, I know, I know that the American people are hurting right now. I want to give you all a little something for your gas and your groceries. So we're about to go to Congress and ask to pass this bill to get all of y'all another stemmy, another stimulus check twelve out, whatever it is. Make it a big, big, big, big spectacle, because you know they're gonna turn it down. So when they turn it down, you make big noise about it. We tried to give y'all more money, but the Republicans in Congress won't vote for it. But we want to give y'all more.
Speaker 1: Next time Biden come up there to say you ain't black. You gotta drop that, you gotta drop that into it. But that's that's messaging. No, that's marketing. And Biden, you know, we got an old ass president. I feel like old people like to give away money. That should be every time I go to my grandma house, I'm bad. I'm getting money.
Speaker 2: So like with them, with the Weathers, with the Worthers originals, exactly, she pepples.
Speaker 1: She pulling the twenty out of titty, and she's making me get some. Right. See, we're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back. We're back with Charlottage and the God right now. Your voice is an important voice, specifically for black people. Democrats Republicans, they like to use you, as I think, like a I don't want to say a litmus test for what black people are thinking, but they they use you to go for where when they want to hear what black people are thinking. And I noticed that whenever you criticize Democrats, Republicans love to pick it up and frame it in a way that makes it seems like you're pro Trump. How do you feel about trying about trying to navigate this current landscape while criticizing the Democrats without being used as a mouthpiece for the Republican Party. It's however they want to frame it on their end.
Speaker 2: How do you feel. I talk about that in the book Get Out as a die line, But I mean, what you said is absolutely true. But it's honestly nothing you can do about that, because I don't even get mad at the right for doing what the right does. I know the right has a narrative, and their narrative right now is that black people are supporting Trump, like you know people are. The black people are leaving the Democratic Party to support Donald Trump, which I which I believe is very overstated. So anything that pushes that narrative they're gonna run with. So if I go on a TV program, whether it's The View, whether it's This Week ABC, and I can say Donald Trump is a democracy, I can say Donald Trump let an attempt to cool his country. I can say, you know, Donald Trump wanted to determinate the constitutional the results of an election. I say this everywhere I go. There's no place I go where I don't say that vert batim.
Speaker 1: I saw you say it on Gutfield or one of them.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm gonna get to that. But I can say that and then somebody will say, well, what about Biden, Well, Biden's uninspiring candidate with no main character energy. Fox News is gonna take that and run that over and over. And when I was here on the Daily Show and I said Joe Biden need to step down, I didn't say nothing that David Axelrod didn't say. I didn't say nothing that you know, millions of other Democrats haven't at least thought about, are said out loud things.
Speaker 1: Everybody is thinking absolut that's right.
Speaker 2: If he if they're not a winnable ticket, which we don't know if they are this time around, but if we don't think they're a winnable ticket, the stakes are too high to play, so maybe he should step down. I said that here. Fox News will take that run with it one hundred miles pour. Then what the left does, instead of actually going to watch everything I said in this totality and taking what they need to push their narrative, they respond to Fox News narrative. And then all these freaking digital dickheads on social media start attacking me because of the headlines that Fox News is putting out there. But I'm saying everything you need about Trump as well, and I'm posing questions that we should at least have a discussion about, saying, then should at least have a discussion is the Biden Harris a winnable ticket? Is Biden the best bet you know for November? And by the way, the only reason I even bought that up was because Joe Biden himself said he thinks it's about fifty other people who can beat Donald Trump in the Democratic Party. So if that's the case, where they at?
Speaker 1: Where does that where they at?
Speaker 2: So there's there's really nothing you can do about it. The only thing I would encourage, you know, left media to do is push the narratives that you need to push out, because all you're doing is amplifying propaganda. You're taking what Fox News is saying, amplifying, you know, amplifying it. And now everybody's like Charlamagne supports Donald Trump. I never said that. I went on the View and Sonny said to me, you know, this is not the time to sit out. I never said I was sitting out of an election. I never said that. I just said I'm not telling people who to vote for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like if you criticize the Democratic Party that automatically makes you pro Trump, which is like the basic like third gradest politics. But you have a unique ability that seems you seem to unbothered.
Speaker 2: I don't give a fuck that got hip hop.
Speaker 1: It feels like it just goes straight.
Speaker 2: I've had way worse things said about me. Please, anything I care about.
Speaker 1: That fucking birdman came up cool exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, I know the truth, and it's not like the truth is not out there. That's why the public be confused, because the public is like what Charlamagne ain't never said the supporting nor Trump like you go look in my comments, equal opportunity hate from both bots. I got Republican bots telling me to get democratic dick out of my mouth, and I got Democrat bots telling me a Democrat bots saying this is the type of rhetoric that's gonna get Donald Trump elected. That yo, and by the way, let me tell how let me tell how scoop it. The Democrat bots are at least the Republican bots if I post something about Trump, like the other day I posted about Project two thousand and twenty five, which is something else I always talk about. Right, all the Republican bots democratic shill you work for Joe Biden. How does it fit? Get off your knees, over and over and over and over. The Democrats I can post about, I can post, I can post that I love Rhapsodies new album, and it'll be Democrat bots in there. This is the type of rhetoric that's gonna get Donald Trump elected. They're not even they don't even know how to they don't even know to use their box, right. That's how bad. It's just, that's how bad their messaging is. They don't even know how to use their box.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But to your point about what you said about Gutfeld earlier, I went on Fox News and said the same exact things that I've been saying about Donald Trump everywhere else, and that's when it goes viral. It was fun. That's when finally the left media is like Wow. I watched one YouTube video because I love YouTube reaction videos. I love when people like react to things. I watched this one person on YouTube say, I guess we're gonna have to start callings Charlamagne, charlamage and a broken clock. He's the broken clock is right twice a day because he because he went on gut Failed and I don't know, I don't know what's changing his tune. I don't know if his if his Cistangela Rye because they so close, or I don't know if it's because of the backlash he gets on Twitter. But he went on. Nan said Trump is a threat to democrasis. I'm like, I've always said that, you idiots.
Speaker 1: Just what's the rest of my other segment?
Speaker 2: That's it. You can't pull up one in of you one conversation where I have not said that.
Speaker 1: Well, we live in headline age. We live in the age of you know, I'm scrolling. I'm not about to watch this whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's a chapter in my book as well. What chapter is headlines? Headlines is chapter twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now we talked about this piece. I mentioned earlier in the podcast that it was based off of a chapter in your book chapter I believe it was chapter seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Language of Politics, Dad, chapter seven.
Speaker 1: So the book obviously go get it everywhere we're gonna get honest or diye line. There was a chapter in it that really stuck out to me, and really, I see how we're very much similar. You're a fan of Aaron McGruder.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's my guy, and a great friend.
Speaker 1: That I found that out by reading the chapter in the book about is a chapter I don't want to spoil too much called Aaron McGruder lends his pen to your book for a while, and it's very pointant. You know, you miss Aaron mcgruder's perspective on just everything and how was that relationship?
Speaker 2: Like how is how is how coole?
Speaker 1: Is that to have Aaron McGruder.
Speaker 2: I think that Aaron for a lot of black men. It's kind of like what jay Z is to a lot of black men if you're a certain age, like what Dave Chappelle is, you know, because there's certain people that speak for us at any given moment and really hit on that head what we're feeling, what we're thinking, the things that we're saying. And when we see these things in you know, you know mainstream America, you're like, WHOA, And I think Aaron is that when it comes when it comes with the Boone Docks. You know, The Bone Docks is a great comic script that he used to write. You know, he has graphic novels, but you know a lot of people know it because of the cartoon that was on Adult Sweat first three seasons that Aaron did fantastic fourth season garbage because Aaron has nothing to do with it. But yeah, me and him connected years ago just because I had a friend named April Bombay and April knew him, and I was like, nobody knows him. He's a recluser. You don't even know. He might not even be real, right like, so she was like, no, I know. So she gave me his email. She asked if I asked him if I could get the email. I don't even think he knew I was, but she was like, yeah, he cool, You're cool, and so I sent him an email. This was literally eighteen years ago, bro, literally like this had to be like oh seven. And I just told him I was a fan, like I'm a big fan. I got all the graphic novels, you know, I like the Boondocks cartoon, the scripts. I just appreciate your POV and stuff. And he hit me back and was just like thank you.
Speaker 1: The fuck people answer emails, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: This was oh seven, that's all we had. And so you know I said about I met him. I met him once and then we kept in touch. But then like about six seven years ago, I don't even know if it was that long, maybe five I got to look and see. But he reached out to me because he was getting the Boondocks. He wanted get the boone Docks restarted, and so he gave me. He had these comic scripts that he was writing. He was back writing the actual scripts, and he was like, how do I get these out? And so I was like, yo, let me just put them on Instagram. And that's literally what I did. I just put I put his scripts on Instagram went crazy viral. Then another thing we did, we had Gary who does the voice of Uncle Rugas. We had Gary, I interviewed Uncle Ruckus on Breakfast Club as Uncle Yeah, and so it was trending. It was literally trending.
Speaker 1: Everything looked like Uncle rutgis in the makeup when he put the.
Speaker 2: Oh, we didn't even do that. We just didn't over the phone.
Speaker 1: I've seen him. I've seen him when he puts the full makeup on. He looks exactly. He was gonna make a movie, Uncle Us, Uncle.
Speaker 2: Rug the movie. We just did it over the phone, and it was trending and everything and a little did I know Aaron was doing that because he was shopping the Boondocks again and they were about to reboot it, and they did with HBO Max and Aaron made me a consultant producer on it. He didn't have to do that, you know. He made me a consultant producer on it. And the new season was phenomenal. I mean, the fact that HBO or whoever couldn't get that right is insane to me. But a lot of things happened, like John Willisbuon passed away. Who who does the voice of Grandpa? Yeah, but it was when I said, was incredible. No, no, no, no. Because here's the thing about Aaron, and that's why I wanted to include him in the book. He's one of the most brilliant political minds that we have on this planet. But it's something about and I've asked him this question. It's something about people who do satire where they're able to see the future. They have a level of clara voyance. When I tell you every single thing that we've seen in politics since two thousand and sixteen, I'm talking about everything from the insurrection, you know, to what Trump's doing with the Supreme Court. Aaron told me all of that was gonna happen. I'm talking about literally I remember when the insurrection happened that day, he was like, are you seeing this shit? I told you he literally called it. So if he had the cartoon, you would have saw that. And that's what the new season was about.
Speaker 1: The Alabama Boat bra There's so many moments that was.
Speaker 2: Uncle Ruckus was a fascist, was a fascist leader who became mayor of Woodcrest, and it was a Trump disciple. Yes, no, y'all have no idea. You have no idea because it was supposed to be a movie. It was supposed to be HBO was supposed to do a movie, and then the series was supposed to come after the movie, and you know, for whatever reason, things just you know, couldn't get on the same page. But I just wanted, you know, Aaron's voice in the book because you know, me and him talk all the time and these are things that, uh, you know, we talk about, and I was just like, man, yo, forget me talking about what we talk about. Just you know, won't you get in like like like sit down and let's map this out for the book. And you know, that's that's what we ended up doing. And I'll say this though, that's you're gonna hear a lot from Aaron mcgru you know, like if if it's if it's one thing that I'm going to make sure of is that you know, you know, Aaron mar you know, POV gets out there and in a lot of different ways. You know, I had him as an executive producer my My My talk show here on Comedy Central, and yeah, he's just he's just like I said, he's one of the most brilliant political minds that you know, we've we've got on this planet, you know, right now. And they're not just political minds, just a just a just very in tune about society and and human nature.
Speaker 1: That's what That's one of the book is great and the one thing that left me finishing reading Aaron's words. I don't know if why every time I feel I watch something of Aaron McGruder, but I always walk away being like, I gotta keep my eye, I gotta keep a herder around white people.
Speaker 2: Every time. That's real. That's real. He's brilliant man. And the listen, I'm gonna tell you something else about Aaron. The ideas that.
Speaker 1: He has.
Speaker 2: For TV shows, for movies would change cinema.
Speaker 1: Dude, the Uncle Ruckus idea alone. I just that was that's exactly what you do for right now. I feel like he's our south Park.
Speaker 2: He's I love south Park, but I love Boondocks even more. To Ja Crocker was on the show, she referenced Uncle Ruckus. I just think, like that's what like cultural cultural forever. Think about all the things that have happened over the last few years, and everybody goes back to Boondock's episodes. I'm telling you, man, Aaron, we throw that word around a lot. Genius. Aaron mcgruda is a genius archetypes.
Speaker 1: Growing up, when I was reading common strips, I saw I was like, I'm Hughey and Riley and just growing you got about season?
Speaker 2: People forget about season because he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot what about season? But but like I said, it's not the last you go to hear Aaron. He's he's brilliant, man like and and like there's nothing. I get the privilege of being able to talk to him a lot. So I know his POV on a lot of things. You know what I'm saying that is a I know his POV on a lot of things, And there's a lot of things that you know, we talk about that. I'm like, oh, man, that you know. Yeah, he's gonna be easy. You'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be It's not gonna be long either.
Speaker 1: You walk into a fan fan, I'm like, hey, like you just telling me the premise of that. Literally, my cheeks are smiling just you know, when you just hear something like damn, I can't stop smiling. That's so funny. That's but yeah, no, Well, thank you for giving Aaron that platform. In the book Get Honest or Dielined by Charlemagne to God, y'all please please please go check it out.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure, always a pleasure with you man, you can.
Speaker 1: That's That's been it. Thank you for listening to The Daily Show Ears edition. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts