Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, we looked at some key inflation data in the US and how they could affect FED policy. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington.
Speaker 3: I'm Carolyn Hepke Harid London, where we're getting ready for the buzz of London Tech Week.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Chrisner looking at how higher energy prices will impact Chinese inflation.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three YEO New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Sirius XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Good day to you. I'm Nathan Hager. We begin today's program with some key economic data in the US, with a big focus on inflation. The May Consumer Price index comes out Wednesday, followed by the index for producers the following day, and for more on what to expect We're joined by Edward Harrison, senior strategist at Bloomberg News and author of the Everything Risk newsletter. Always great to speak with you, Ed, And I think it's no secret that just about everything is more expensive these days. So what are you expecting to stand out when it comes to the data this week.
Speaker 5: Hey, Nathan, I'm expecting to see the numbers be relatively elevated across the board PPI more than CPI. And what we're looking for is we're looking for anything that's demonstray below three percent on any of the figures that we see, because the lowest expected number is two point nine percent for core CPI. If we can get something in the order of year and year increases more two point six two point seven, that would be a very positive signal for the Federal Reserve, which is meeting later in the month.
Speaker 2: Why are you expecting producer prices to be higher this time around, Well.
Speaker 5: Just because of expectations. In terms of the Bloomberg average expectations, the average economist expectations for final demand is six point four percent for the month of May, and we also have five point four percent expected if you take out food and energy and those numbers are higher than you know, a four point two percent number that's expected for CPI.
Speaker 2: What are you expecting that it's going to be driving all this? Of course, you know, you drive by a gas station these days and prices are still much higher than many of us would like to be spending. Is that really what's continuing to drive the inflation picture right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: And you know, so that's why I think that the number that I'm looking for in particular is the core number for a CPI, that number which is at currently it's at two point eight percent, it's expected to go up to two point nine percent. That's the number that says, here's what the economy looks like if you take out these vital food and energy items over the last year, here's the rise that we've seen. And if that number is decent, you know, moving more towards the FEDS two percent target, it changes the whole picture. Because last week on Friday, what we saw is we saw a job's number that was very large. If you look at the last three months of job gains, it's the best that we've seen since the beginning of twenty twenty four. And so the market priced in a rate hike is soon as the end of this year. On the back of that, anything that we can see in terms of inflation that is more towards two percent would therefore dial back those expectations and cause yields to go down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Coming off the back of those jobs numbers, we actually spoke with White House National Economic Council Director Kevin Hasseid. He was saying that the FED should be able to look past an oil driven supply shock. Can it?
Speaker 5: No, it can't, because those numbers are the best that we've seen for the jobs in almost a three years or two and a half years, i should say. And the reality is is that with what we're seeing in the Gulf, in addition to core numbers that are that have reaccelerated. If you looked at PC, which is the Fed's preferred gauge, we have bottomed fourteen months ago in April twenty twenty five two point six percent. The most recent reading was three point three percent, So we've seen an acceleration in the core. This is taking out food and energy. So there's no way that the FED can look over that because we're looking at a trend that's been going on for more than a year. And we've seen an acceleration in the rate of inflation.
Speaker 2: So what do you see potentially snapping that trend? Is there anything that the FED can do at this point?
Speaker 5: No, the Fed can just sit and wait. And the reality again is that the Gulf only adds more problems there. The interesting bit is is that, you know, when this war began in the Middle East, people were expecting it to have a very negative impact on consumer spending. But it hasn't had a negative impact. It hasn't had a negative impact on a job formation. So you know, the steady state of the United States economy is very high, and that means that the ability of the FED to try to counteract the inflationary impulses is much greater, which means that we should expect the FED to hike before we expect them to lower rates.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate this d as always. That's Bloomberg News Senior strategist Edward Harrison definitely check out adds the Everything Risk newsletter. You can find it at Bloomberg dot com, slash newsletters or by typing ni every Risk Go on the Bloomberg terminal. Let's take a look now at some stocks making news in the week Ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg Cross Asset reporter of Adana Hirich. But Dana, we've got more tech earnings to look forward to this week, including Oracle after the close. Of course, this has been a company that's been a pretty big beneficiary of the AI buildout. So should we be looking for a blowout from Oracle?
Speaker 6: First?
Speaker 7: I want to say that every week we're looking forward to some sort of tech earnings, right, so.
Speaker 2: It seems like it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, every week there's something of interest happening. So for Oracle, that's ticker oh RCL on Wednesday, June tenth. The company was once best known for its namesake database software, but it's really found some success in providing the type of chips filled data centers and other equipment that's necessary for training and deploying AI models. And the reason I mentioned that is just so that we get a sense of what kind of read through it's giving us on a specific sector of the economy. Shares of Oracle are up some eighteen percent roughly eighteen percent year to date. Its last quarterly report was very strong in terms of what analysts had been expecting and what the company ended up delivering Its last report was in March, and shares actually soared after it posted results. It said that it's closely watched infrastructure business had jumped eighty four percent to four point nine billion dollars. The company also at the time said that revenue reach ninety billion in the fiscal year beginning in June. Also at the time, it handily beat analyst projections on a number of other measures. So the takeaway was that we were sort of seeing we were getting this through line on AI spending. It gave investors a really good look at how demand for AI centers was going. There had been in the past some concern that maybe that a specific corner of the market was maybe slowing down, but then Oracle gave us those results. Looking ahead, of course, we don't exactly know what the company is going to be telling us, but we do have some analyst projections, and we do have a report from Bloomberg Intelligence where the analysts there say oracles physical four qre results will likely reflect another quarter of robust AI infrastructure demand.
Speaker 2: Also this week, after the close on Thursday, we're going to hear from Adobe. Now, you got to think this company's got a lot to show for with all the fears around SaaS apocalypse or whatever we're calling it now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly. And I love when a company can tell us a specific story, you know, one of especially with like Bellweather companies that can tell us something that's happening within a certain sector of the economy or the market, like we were just saying with Oracle. So for Adobe ticker ADB, reporting on June eleventh, after the market close, shares are not doing so great this year. They're down some twenty five percent so far this year. When we think of Adobe, we think of its software, it's creative tools, it's digital marketing offerings, and also of course PDFs, which I can never figure out how to edit or save or print seriously, But a lot of Adobe's revenue is generated via those subscriptions. Analysts will be paying attention to that. But Adobe actually has a very interesting theme and the story going on right now, which is that there are talks about who it's next CEO will be. Bloomberg just reported that the company is eyeing to internal leaders for its quest for a new chief executive officer, and Adobe has hired a well known search firm to look at some external candidates who could be suited to running the company in our ai era. And so there are two contenders of two of its main business units who are sort of like the leading in house candidates, and then you know whoever else that they're looking at from the outside. So analysts really are thinking about, you know what, will we get some clarity around the CEO transition. It's sure to be a key focus on the earnings call yea.
Speaker 2: So maybe more than just numbers in this sorting.
Speaker 7: St exactly exactly. It might even supersede some of the financial metrics themselves, which is really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it certainly is not just tech. Later on this week as well, we're going to hear from Lenar reporting their earnings. It's been pretty tough for the homebuilders in this rate and price environment.
Speaker 7: Fildana exactly another great example of a company that's giving us a look at, in this case the housing market. The home building market ticker LN shares are also lower so far this year. The company is reporting after the close on Thursday, June eleventh. This is one of the largest US homebuilders by revenue, and again another great read on home builder sentiments. So just in terms of some of the data that we've seen for new home sales. For instance, in April they had fallen month over month some six percent to around six hundred and twenty two thousand. US homebuilder sentiment had rebound London in May, but in general it sort of remains pretty low, given affordability concerns weighing on a lot of consumers and also weighing on the spring selling season, and so it's important to keep those things in mind in terms of what the housing market looks like and whether or not people think we're going to potentially continue to see a lackluster housing market persists, you know, in future quarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're going to learn more about the AI build out and the housing build out this week. Thank you, Vildona. That's Vildona Hirich, Cross asset reporter for Bloomberg News, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we'll discuss what to expect from London's tech week. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for invests in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. Up later in the program, we'll look to some key inflation data in China. But first London Tech Week starts Monday. Executives from AI labs like Anthropic Perplexity and Open Ai are headed to Britain, which, after the US and China, sees the highest AI investment globally. Let's get more from Bloomberg day Break Europe banker Caroline Hepger in.
Speaker 3: London, Nathan Summer conference season has arrived in London. CEOs, politicians and innovators are rubbing shoulders the likes of south By Southwest Founders Forum and London Tech Week, but the regular gatherings mask a moment of deep uncertainty about the future. Artificial intelligence promises to reshape the business world, but for UBS's chief economists to ar captain, the new technology isn't yet even close to delivering on its promises.
Speaker 8: I think there are certainly a lot of corpors benefiting from this spending boom and top twenty percent spending, but there's also I think a very large part of the population and businesses that is not benefiting from that, and so I think we're in this sort of still relatively fragile equilibrium.
Speaker 3: Okay, you mentioned productivity gains. Where are you seeing them in Europe from AI.
Speaker 8: Oh I'm not seeing here anyway yet, so I think it's way too early, right, So there's a we're in the Capex phase what I call the figuring it out phase, right, So we are diffusing AI into organizations, and the implementation model is to go to people like me, give them some AI programs and go figure it out. Right, that's not a good implementation model. And if you look at the implementation rate, so we do an enterprise adoption survey, it's still very very low, less than twenty percent of all the firms claim to be implementing at skill. So it just cannot be the case that anything is happening yet because no one's changed hiring behavior and no one's really figured it out yet. Now, the reason it shows up in the US in productivity data is because if you create a lot of output with capex, you don't hire anybody. It looks like per employee you're generating more output. But that's not AI productivity the way I think about it, right, that's just a shift from producing with libra to producing with capital. In Europe, of course, you don't even have that.
Speaker 3: AAR captain there speaking to me and James Wilcock on Bloomberg Radio for Britain. Add to that, a somewhat more frosty relationship with the US may be growing wariness of Silicon Valley and a ship of state which seems to lack a rudder. So does Britain's pitch to be an AI leader increasingly look a little thin. Bloomberg TV anchor Tom McKenzie joins me, Now you get the lucky job of going down to London Tech Week to take the temperature rub shoulders with all of these big CEOs, what are you trying to find out?
Speaker 9: Look? I think this is an incredible moment obviously for the world of technology when we think about what's happening in the US with the upcoming listings and IPOs of SpaceX and likely of course Anthropic and Open AII as well. So that intense focus on the innovation and the buildout of these companies. And so the key question really is where does the UK play in all of this? And this is a really key annual gathering that pulls together the great and the good ministers as well senior government figures with leading CEOs across the UK tech ecosystem. So my key questions and what I'm really trying to find out is where does the UK play in the AI story? Do we have some advantages that other nations don't, What kind of companies do we building, what kind of support is the government giving to those companies? And can this be sustainable? Is this something that's going to have a broader macroeconomic impact as well? That will really be the key focus as I talked to CEOs executives and government ministers as well next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it comes after the UK government launched this five hundred million pounds for AI in the UK that was in April. It doesn't sound like very much money, does it when you think about the billions in the AI space. But it is intent, isn't it. What do you think about the UK and whether we can really claim to be a tech leader? How much does it show about impetus to be in that leadership role in the UK?
Speaker 9: I think there's a couple of metrics that you could point to that show that there is a really healthy momentum right now in the UK and the UK really can claim to be playing a role. Not sure if it's leading, but certainly a role, a significant role in terms of the build out of AI and innovation. You do have that fund from the UK government, the UK Sovereign Wealth Fund, which yes, you say, in comparison the numbers we see in the US is is minimal. But what they would tell you James Wise is the chair formerly and also at Balderton which is eventually capital firm. What James would say is that look, not only do we invest, but we also open the doors to government for you. That credential that you get, that stamp of UK government approval actually is meaningful. In fact, I was speaking to Isomorphic Labs, a drug discovery company that sits under alphabet is a unit there, and speaking to their president he said it is meaningful. They've also had investment from the UK Sovereign Fund, so that is an important part we have. You know, three of the top ten universities in the world are in the UK, Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial. We have that talent, that deep research talent. We do have the cap of the City of London, and we do have access of course in those connections to Europe as well, so on all those fronts there is some supportive kind of muscle tissue there. What you're also seeing in terms of fun flows. I'll just give you a few statistics then that's come out of a recent technician report. The UK tech sector has a combined market value now of about one point six trillion US dollars, and AI's total UK tech market value is in fact more than doubled in the last five years. You have companies like eleven Labs, like Synthesia, like Wave AI raising billions of dollars, and.
Speaker 3: So in terms of adoption and the next steps, how far are we seeing the latest advances in AI filtering through into how startups are doing business, but also into how other businesses are adopting this technology and turning it into productivity gains.
Speaker 9: And I think that is a question that remains partly answered. And you go around the UK's tech ecosystem and you speak to people working in those organizations, they are leaning in. They're using these platforms, They're using these AI solutions. No doubt you and I are using forms of AI probably on a daily basis as well. We maybe as individuals be able to point to productivity gains. The harder question to answer is at the corporate level, to your point, at the enterprise level, are we yet seeing that filtering through to earnings to the bottom line. I think the jury is still out on that, but it is relatively early days in terms of adoption, and smaller companies and smaller enterprises may be adopting more quickly. Bigger enterprises, particularly those that are regulator heavy regulator for example in the financial services space, may take a little longer.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 9: There are examples of banks that are leaning in too AI adoption, and we've seen evidence of that in terms of their commitments and their spending. So I think we still need to see that evidence come through. And that is a really key point because that comes down to the return on investment. Are we getting our bank for our bus As companies spend increasingly large amounts on AI solutions, on so called tokens, is that paying off?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely. As sort of thinking about adoption also skills, What sort of skills do people need to be able to use AI? That's one of the issues that's been brought up a lot, hasn't it in the UK? And you're right, how much does it cost a company actually to have AI tools that all of their workers can use those sort of token costs. Look, there's another sort of slightly darker issue, which is sort of the uncertainty around the labor government. And I mean I was speaking to the AI Minister only a few weeks ago about that software well funded. I know you speak to a lot of players and policy makers. The future of the current Prime Minister is very uncertain. Andy Burnham, who seems at the moment like the front runner maybe to replace him, sounds a bit tough on regulation in the AI industry, in the tech industry. Is that going to seep into issue use if there's a kind of tougher view around technology in Britain.
Speaker 9: I think that is an important question. Clearly, it's a question that we're putting to company executives around political uncertainty in the UK and what that means for their investment plans and their hiring plans. So I think that's a valid question for those working and operating in the tech ecosystem as well. I think it's fair to say that the AI Minister kenesian Arian is pretty well received within the tech ecosystem. I hear pretty solid responses off record and on record to what that government minister is doing Kanishka alongside the AI Sovereign Fund, and that is something that clearly AI leaders and entrepreneurs in the UK. They want to see that kind of commitment continuing, and there has been some evidence that the UK is and the UK government is trying to be on the front foot in terms of aligning the regulation with innovation with adoption. You've got one example of coming up at the end of this year, which is Weimo is very likely to be testing and actually rolling out its cars for the public. They're testing now rolling out its cars for the public by the end of this year. I speaking to them. That's still currently the plan, and that is because the UK has put in place a regulatory framework that allows them to do that for the first time out of the United States. So that is one example. It's not to say that there aren't others who say we need to have checks and balances around this technology. Yeah, so I think it's an important question. Will that stability or question marks about the future government post some kind of headwind is something that I will be addressing and bringing up with founders and CEOs next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's going to be fascinating, isn't it watching Weimo for the first time outside a US city, you know, trying to kind of weave their way through the ancient streets of London's going to be a big test of the company. It's going to be really interesting to see how people in the UK react to that. In terms of the other major tension, you have to also bring up the worries maybe around dependency, around sovereignty. These are lots of countries thinking about this, how dependent to be on Silicon Valley on big US companies palente I can point to as the most recent worry MPs of flag that as a worry Palent's involvement, for example, with the NHS, the National Health Service. How important are those tensions?
Speaker 9: Well, I think those tensions are real and I think one response to that, and we've heard this from some would be well, it's fine, we can rip out and replace Palenteer with what So we need to have an alternative. Palenteer, the argument goes, is the best at what they do, and if we want to be able to align all the data across the NHS and make things like booking appointments and collecting all of that evidence that can help in terms of outcomes and have better healthc outcomes, then we need this kind of technology. Of course, it is a controversial company and hence the scrutiny that is it is facing. As yet, we do not have a company that can do what Palentteer does. Maybe in the future we will, But I think the broader question about sovereignty is real. Do we need more data centers? Do we need more infrastructure? How much of that needs to be on a supply chain that the UK has greater control over all We speaking to the likes of Brookfield's head of AI infrastructure about that point, we are a long way from getting the kind of investment commitments around data centers and infrastructure that the US is getting. Can we rely on the hyperscalers? Can we and are we relaxed about running our systems on ammazaws or on Azure or on other parts of the Google Cloud system, or do we need to have our own sovereign capabilities. The European Union is coming up with their response to that, and we're seeing that working through the system right now, so that is also a valid question. And then if we think about infrastructure, we have to think about energy. Our energy costs are about three times that of the United States, about two times out of China. Do we have the Greek capacity? Are we building the energy that we need to support this kind of infrastructure. What is the solution on that front. Tony Blair has his views around the North Sea oil story. Others will have opposing views, so that is also part of the question that the UK is going to have to wrestle with. And certainly entrepreneurs and executives they want to see cheaper, cleaner, more accessible energy and that is a really key part of how we position going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be a very interesting week and we look forward to all of your coverage from London Tech Week. That is Bloomberg TV anchor Tom McKenzie. Thank you. I'm Caroline hepget here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg Daybreak here at beginning at six am in London. That's one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Caroline. Then coming up by Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, we'll look ahead to inflation data from the world's second largest economy. I'm Nathan Hagger and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Haiger in Washington. One of those stories is going to be inflation in China. We get the main readings on price pressures this week. For a preview, let's get to Doug Krisner, host of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia podcast.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nathan. For years, authorities in China have been battling a problem with deflation, and the price declines were showing up at both the wholesale and retail levels. But the energy shock as a result of the conflict in the Middle East has changed the narrative somewhat. The latest reading on PPI is likely to show factory gate prices rose in the month of May. Even so, consumer prices are still struggling to break out of their deflationary trap. For a closer look, let's bring in Bloomberg's Alan Wong. Allen is team leader for the China Economy and Government team. He joins us from our studios in Hong Kong. Thank you for being here. I want to begin with looking at the PPI story and wondering if the expected pickup that we're going to see, perhaps in factory gate prices is due to forces beyond higher energy. Is it spilling out beyond the energy complex?
Speaker 10: We are seeing limiteds spill over in terms of price hikes, which means that even if the producer prices are going up, this is not quite the China inflation story just yet. But just back through the producer prize a little bit, we're seeing forecasts for a three point nine percent jump year over year, and that would be the biggest search we've seen since July twenty twenty two. So it is still very much about the global energy crisis. It's still very much about the shockwaves from the conflict in the Middle East affecting China's factory flows. And if we look at the breakdown in price data from the previous month's release, the month of April, we've seen the cost of things like crude extraction, petroleum, natural gas, they all shot up, but then for out of categories we see mild effect in terms of rising prices, and so so far it's been pretty much contained.
Speaker 4: So let's look at the consumer level now. And my memory is that this is really a story about weak demand. Has that changed or is that still very much the same case.
Speaker 10: The numbers actually tell the story here pretty well. I mentioned that PBI is going to jump three point nine percent for CPI for the month of May, it's going to be a one point three percent increase, So that's just slightly higher than the April figure which was one point two percent. So this means that we actually, you know, on one hand, you're seeing some healthy inflation compared to the previous deflation story after the COVID. One point two isn't that much globally speaking, But then it's a much higher pace compared to the near zero level in the two years after COVID. But then another way to look at this is the gap between the rise in PBI and CPI. If the gap is large, it just means that factories and companies they are stomaching this higher input costs and without passing that on to customers. It means that to preserve their market shared they rather eat that cost themselves. And for those companies, obviously it would be terrible for them because they are suffering thinner profit margins. But then even if consumers are happy that the price tax are only modestly got bigger, their wages might suffer too because the companies can't afford to raise prices and they might have to, you know, they face pressure in terms of how much they can pay their workers. So all of these feeds back into the weak consumption story in China, where consumers just don't feel secure enough about the economic outlook to spend.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to imagine alan that part of the weak domestic demand story still traces back to the weakness in the housing market. Is that still the case.
Speaker 10: That's still very much the case, But you know, there are signs that in some part it's of the Chinese economy, housing is seeing some bottom. It's very controversial because you know, you don't want to be the one to call the bottom in the housing market, but we're seeing more voices from among economists who I'm considering that like a slower pace of decline in home prices. By some measures, we're seeing that new home prices have actually risen months over month. But when they will continue is another question because we have seen something like that over the last couple of years, but there have been false down so nobody is sticking their neck out to call bottom just yet. And in terms of the weak consumption story, housing is still a big factor. But then the uncertainty in terms of geopolitical outlook is also weighing on consumers' mind for sure, and the fact that higher oil prices, and higher PPI may limit how much the PBOC can do in terms of easing. Will also mean that policymakers have less room to stimulate domestic demand using direct measures. And one important the development we've seen in terms of the macro economy, it's just how people are paying down their debts more than they borrow. So that's just another way to gauge just how weak the sentiment is.
Speaker 4: To what extent is the trade story a part of the narrative when it comes to inflation, And I'm thinking of the tariff story where the US is involved.
Speaker 10: So yes, the US, it's trying to rebuild his tariff wall. So even after they, you know, US President An Trump met with she and kind of cooled down the tensions that the two countries previously faced, and they agreed on strategic stability framework that China came up with. So broadly speaking, that relationship is looking steady and better than previously. But then Trump did try to attempt to raise tariffs on China and among a countries again, and China is not happy with it, for sure, but it doesn't seem like it would threaten the Dayton between the two countries and the truth is that China's export to the US have fallen by a lot already since the Trump returned to office, So any marginal increase in the tariff ray on Chinese exports are not going to hurt that part of export that much. But then one potential surprise is coming from the EU, which has been floating measures to curb China's imports and and otherwise address China's over capacity issue. So China has protested that in threatened countermeasures. We're seeing a new trade war on horizon. That's to be determined, but if trade frictions rise between those two economies, that could be a source of headwinds for China's economy.
Speaker 4: That's a great point. Alan, thank you so very much for helping us look ahead to the Chinese inflation data in the week ahead. Bloomberg's Alan Wong Allen is team leader for the China Economy and Government team. Joining from our studios in Hong Kong, we go to Taiwan next, where Computechs took place in the last week. This is Asia's largest tech showcase, and the event brought together CEOs from the world's leading tech companies to discuss the outlook for things like AI robotics and semiconductors, and that's where we had the chance to speak with Albert Liu. Albert is founder and CEO of AI chip firm Neuron. He spoke with Bloomberg Steven Engel.
Speaker 11: It's interesting. I'll just read you designed and manufactured chips and hardware and software for EDGAI. So that's more local solutions rather than uploading to the cloud. And there's all kinds of and downloading from the cloud, so there's all kinds of applications for that. But you are promoting NPUs neural processing units. How does that compare? What is put it into context for US NPUs versus cp USE and GPUs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the technology trend migration from CPU to GPU to MP for AI computation. Computation power is a really bit like a VHS to DVD to MB three. So nb threo is quite tiny, right one tango so they can revert BUND to DVD a bunch of vhs. So you can sing in this way today using the GPU or CPU to power GBD label AI is power hungry. Some company even comes seeking to build a nuclear help print to support that AI chain, which is kind of ridiculous and nonsustainable right. Also the privacy and also operation speed quich ai if down to the earth or enable the device and the close to diva industry which you will remote efficient and also low costs.
Speaker 11: So how does this promote your technology? How does it promote an edge AI? How does it promote you know what we're seeing in China and around the world as well, and that is the open claw movement and agentic AI essentially and the creation of agents. And even in China you're having one person companies. So you need that privacy local, you need solutions local, low latency.
Speaker 6: I think I would say not only local, also privacy, but also controllable control. I mean, uh mp, you can make it become possible is you can sing this way, you can put the GVD label AI into a small bux uh. Then the recent open clowd criticize is because first they probably will spend the token fee like unexpected right one night, you might spend like few hundred dollars. And second they probably will leak your combinational information. There's a couple of issues happen, like they even leak your conversation with your your your your lofer and or even your secret key or of your bank account to everywhere. So the open claus is really open. Yeah, yeah, yeah, open your privacy data everywhere. So if you can bring the UH cloud label AI down to the earth, which is what they're wrong, provide we are only selling the MPU, but we also sell a system like a media doing the H one hundred h two hundred there and then we put the open crowd in the small box and all the token is free and and also your privacy data got control in local.
Speaker 11: So where are we in the evolution? Right then you talked about this is the age of inference now as they still build out. Of course, UH the infrastructure for the big data centers and training is happening from the large language models. But how does your technology really fuel the age and the era of inference?
Speaker 6: I will say AI train first step definitely is the training, right Clowd training, So the Clowd training definitely, GVU has the greatest advantage because they're cool that Ecosys is so strong. But once everyone's training or AI up to a certain level become saturated or become more mature, then the second one will be the cloud inference. Then the third one will be like make them out of smaller and applied to everywhere, which would be AHI. So I think cloud AI or training AI. The GPU or the hardware is super expensive and also power consumption is heavy and also command doese emission is huge. Then once you move to the inference, using these heavy hardware is kind of luxury. So inference AI definitely is the right. Now the reason AI s over n media acquire the lp U, right, it's also facing the challenge of the inference that GPU is two sevensy. Then move to the third one, which will be HI. So I will say MP has a great adventure in inference and HI. Because we are the hardware dedications design for AI purpose.
Speaker 11: How are you specifically and where are you impacted by key components? The shortage and key components and memory is the most acute for a lot of the big data centers. But what's the most important and most acute shortage of components for you?
Speaker 6: You can see like what I said, MP street dongo there taking on us Joe Mahy different as a TVD and also VHS right the same thing MPU oxnicture is much smaller and much low costs versus the GPU or CPU GPU is any human history for Morning Street tak and that was original designed for gaming or graphic for purse, right, so they need they require HPN HIPing wish memory. Yeah so, but MPU always is TV off.
Speaker 4: That is Albert lu, founder and CEO of the AI chip firm Neuron, speaking with Bloomberg Stephen Engel on the sidelines of computext. I'm Doug Prisoner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Doug, And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets, overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Nathan Hager. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.