Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, I'm Kitty Kirk, and this is next question.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Katie Kirk, Award winning journalist and co founder of Katie Kirk Media.
Speaker 1: I rewatched your concession speech to prepare for this interview, and in it you said, our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power, and we don't just respect that, we cherish that. I'm sure that was the hardest speech you have ever had to give in your political career. But do you think we'll ever see those kinds of gracious and graceful concession speeches again, like John McCain's, for example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Katie, I really think if we if we do what we should do and we defeat Donald Trump, I think we can get back to what I would consider much more normal politics again, and hopefully new leaders would emerge on the Republican side who would not just give lip service to the constitution and the peaceful transfer of power and everything that goes, you know, with a democracy, but would again model it. And you know, I am optimistic. Like my late wonderful friend Madeline Albright used to say, she was an optimist who worries a lot, and so that kind of describes me. I am optimist stake. I'm optimistic about our country and its future.
Speaker 4: But it's really up to us. You know. It's Trump is one person.
Speaker 3: And we are many, many millions with different you know, views and backgrounds, and we want to.
Speaker 4: See the peaceful transfer of power.
Speaker 3: We want to see leaders who are in it for us, not for themselves. Everything that is really at the root of this campaign. And when I gave that concession speech, clearly, you know, I was hoping for the best and.
Speaker 4: It just was not to be. And the people that.
Speaker 3: Really staffed the first Trump White House and the first Trump government, they were people who had some experience. Again, I might have disagreed with them, but I've thought of them as being you know, sensible, you know, people, people who respected the constitution.
Speaker 4: They are all gone now.
Speaker 3: They are all supporting, you know, Kamala Harris because they saw firsthand what Trump was like. And the people he will bring in are people who are true believers, who are fanatics, who want to be dictators themselves. And that's what people have to understand. It's not just him, it's that whole project twenty twenty five crowd that literally wants to impose their political, partisan and religious views.
Speaker 4: On all the rest of us. And you know, I was.
Speaker 3: Raised to cherish, you know, the separation of church and state. These folks want to demolish it and basically tell us who we are supposed to worship and how and everything else. I mean, this is dangerous, dangerous stuff. And I'm glad that, you know, Project twenty twenty five has sort of pierced the you know, consciousness of the voting public, because take a look at it. I mean, why would anybody advocate for getting rid of the National Weather Service.
Speaker 1: Or the Department of Education, or all the civil servants.
Speaker 3: Or getting rid of all the civil servants and populating government with you know, partisans.
Speaker 1: Having a litmus test right absolutely, And you know this is he's tried to distance himself from that well unsuccessfully.
Speaker 3: And I mean just just you know, in the last day or two a video popped up where he was praising he was at some Heritage Foundation event praising you know, their work and all the rest of it. You know, I am the one who said there's a vast right wing conspiracy in.
Speaker 4: Nineteen and.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of people laughed at me or you know, said, oh my gosh, that's absolutely crazy. Well, no, it's absolutely true, and you could see it playing out. And now it's not really a conspiracy. It's all out in public. We're going to tell you what we're going to do to you. We're going to tell you, you know, what we expect from you. And in the book, I write about waking up the day after a Trump victory and just seeing what's going on in the country and leading with you know, military troops in our streets, you know, breaking into businesses and homes to round up people they think are here illegally in order to deport them. And can you imagine, I mean, the kind of chaos and terrible outcomes that would be a result of that kind of military occupation of American cities. And so people need to take it seriously and look at this project twenty twenty five. And not only that, just listen to Trump because he says it. He says it all the time.
Speaker 1: I want to run through some really important issues, not exactly a lightning round, but we have a fair amount to cover. First, reproductive rights, you warned on the Senate floor during Justice Alito's confirmation hearings in two thousand and six. This, this nomination could well be the tipping point against constitutionally based freedoms and protections we cherish as individuals and as a nation. I fear that Judge Alito will roll back decades of progress.
Speaker 2: Roe v.
Speaker 1: Wade is at risk. The privacy of Americans is at risk. Environmental safeguards, laws that protect workers from abuse or negligence, laws even that keep machine guns off the street. All these and many others are in peril. You take no joy out of being prescient, do you no?
Speaker 3: You know, as a Senator, I got to vote on both John Roberts and Samuel Alito, and as part of that process, I interviewed them both, which is, you know, the way senators get their own, you know, ideas about who these candidates are that the President has nominated. And I found both of them to be, you know, really on agenda's basically, and you know, Roberts was much more gracious and affable. If you read the long story in the New York Times in the last day or so, you know, clearly on an agenda that you know he is now driving, including this incredibly dangerous immunity decision with Alito, there was no hiding it.
Speaker 4: He was clearly a results.
Speaker 3: Oriented jurist who was going to use the Supreme Court to reverse a lot of what many of us believed has been progress over the last fifty years, some of which you know, I mentioned on the floor of the Senate and I was I was very worried about him because of that. Again, he is driven by cultural and religious beliefs about how society should be structured based on his own opinion, not the law.
Speaker 4: His opinion, like the opinion in the Dobbs decision.
Speaker 3: As a recovering lawyer and law professor, I found it, you know, absolutely weak and totally results oriented. I want to get to this and I don't care what the precedent is. I don't care what the you know, the law basically says. I want you to pay attention to what Justice Elena Kagan said at NYU this week, because what she said echoes what Justice Thomas and Alito have certainly hinted, and that is left to their own devices. Other landmark decisions, whether it's the Loving decision on interracial marriage, the gay marriage decision, the contraception decision. I'm not saying this I am referencing Justice Kagan. Those are all on the agenda for this court to reverse. So they will say, if you look at the logic in the Dobbs case, and I have a whole chapter on Dobbs and democracy in the book, if you look at that decision, they basically say, well, you know, none of this was in the original intent of the Constitution.
Speaker 4: That is their.
Speaker 3: Rationale, made up rationale. This whole theory of originalism is made up to get to the results that they want to further their political, cultural, religious, and financial interests. And so they are gunning for other rights that have been expanded. And if they throw those rights back to the states so that gay marriage, contraception IVF, interracial marriage all of a sudden becomes a state issue, then man, we are in for a terrible, terrible reversal of people's basic freedoms.
Speaker 4: And we can't let that happen.
Speaker 3: And they could still try to do cases like that even with a president Harris, but we would have a president and hopefully a democratic House and Senate to prevent the worst of this court from coming into effect.
Speaker 1: If you want to get smarter every morning with a breakdown of the news and fascinating takes on health and wellness and pop culture. Sign up for our daily newsletter, Wake Up Call by going to Katiecuric dot com. You know you write in your book the Republicans Plan in terms of overturning Roe v. Wade, the Republicans Plan seems to have backfired and turned their long sought holy grail into a poison chalice.
Speaker 4: You know, what.
Speaker 1: Impact do you think this is going to have on the election. It already seems to have galvanized women. The gender gap is huge. How do you think it will What will the ramifications become November?
Speaker 4: Well, I hope.
Speaker 3: They are going to be that, you know, women and the men who understand the importance of this issue turn out and vote overwhelmingly for Democrats, not just Kamala and Tim, but Senate and House Democrats. Because I will predict you sitting here on this stage, pay no attention to what Trump says about a national abortion ban, because if he has a Republican Congress, if he's in the White House, they will pass a national abortion ban and he will sign it. And they will also pass laws that criminalize women from leaving state, you know, states to get medical care. They will pass laws like Louisiana pass criminalizing not criminalizing, but putting on Schedule one with very dangerous drugs, the you know, abortion medication.
Speaker 4: They will do all of that.
Speaker 3: Even though they don't represent a majority by any means of the people in our country. And you can see they don't even represent a majority in most states from nearly all states. So in the book, when I write about Dobbs and democracy, there's a line in Alito's decision which is, well, women are not without political power. Basically, let's just go out and show us that you know, you don't like our decision. Well, starting in Kansas after that decision, people turned out and showed that they were not going to give in to that kind of political intimidation. And in every state, every state, the reddest states like Ohio and Montana and Kentucky, when abortion has been on the ballot, it has passed because people do not want the government and they sure don't want jd Vance.
Speaker 4: Telling you what kind of medical care you can have.
Speaker 1: Having said that, Hillary, how realistic is a federal law gearing a woman's right to an abortion?
Speaker 4: Could that actually happen? Yes?
Speaker 3: And you know it could happen for several reasons. Those of you who are lawyers, you know, there's the supremacy clause. I mean, federal legislation is given, you know, pre eminence over state law. So, for example, there is a law in our country that the Biden administration is attempting to enforce which says that people who show up at emergency rooms must be taken in and given the health care that they deserve. Now, it's a kind of relic, if you will, of the you know, times of segregation, and so people you know who are black or brown or other minorities showing up in emergency rooms and being sent away. So the federal government stepped in and said, you know, you have to do this. So there are big fights going on and one is on the way to this Supreme Court because basically Texas said, no, we don't buy that. You know, we have our own laws. We're going to enforce our own laws, and we're not going to abide by this national law about requiring emergency care. Now. I don't know if you just saw that the first verified death of a woman seeking pregnancy care that required an abortion to save her life because she was in sepsis in Georgia.
Speaker 4: She died.
Speaker 3: We've had women lose their fertility, We've had women being you know, very physically and emotionally damaged because they were denied medical care. But we now have at least one and maybe two verifiable cases because physicians are afraid of going to jail. And so when a woman comes in with a pregnancy in crisis, and there are many reasons why that can happen, the doctors are reluctant to care for her if, depending upon the state, there is still a heartbeat, there could be no brain, the baby can be dying and poisoning the mother, and they still won't intervene, often until it's too late.
Speaker 4: You know, my daughter and I have a.
Speaker 3: Production company called Hidden Light, and we produced a film called Zorowski Versus Texas, which is about three really brave women in.
Speaker 4: Texas who sued the.
Speaker 3: Government of Texas because they were denied the care they needed. One woman was literally, you know, bleeding out, another woman was forced to carry a dead baby to term, and another woman had to leave the state.
Speaker 4: These are not hypotheticals. Thousands and thousands and thousands.
Speaker 3: Of women in these states are experiencing these kinds of medical crises. So you can have national laws that then have to be enforced. Obviously, the states try to find, you know, federal judges that mostly Trump put on the bend who will agree with them. But eventually you could get to codifying Roe v. Wade, bringing Roe v. Wade back by a national law, and trying to save women's lives, and trying to give doctors and nurses permission to actually help women and not be afraid that they'll end up in jail.
Speaker 1: I think those personal stories have to be told more. And the so called abortion after birth that Donald Trump keeps talking about, I'm like, that's called homicide. And finally he was corrected during the ABC debate. So thank you Lindsey Davis for that. I could talk to you for like eight hours, you know, But I feel like, since we're approaching the anniversary, we need to talk about October seventh. I know you've joined the faculty at Columbia, you were teaching last year when the attacks happened. How frustrating is it that we're approaching the one year mark. Twelve hundred Israelis killed, more than two hundred taken hostage, and by some estimates, forty thousand Palestinians killed Now some people say that's too low, some people say that's too high. But one thing is certain, there doesn't seem to be a resolution in sight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Katie, I think is certainly enormous effort being exercised as we speak, because I do speak with people in our government and occasionally people in other governments, about trying to get to a cease fire, trying to get the hostages back, trying to come up with a plan that would free Gaza of a moss have a different Palestinian government there, provide financial help to rebuild Gaza, have security perhaps from Arab nations that would come to make sure that you know, the people there could be free from intimidation.
Speaker 4: That all has to happen.
Speaker 3: And I know that even this week there is a huge effort underway that not just the United States governments involved, but the governments of Egypt and Cutter and European governments all trying to.
Speaker 4: Get to this ceasefire.
Speaker 3: Now I have the experience of having negotiated a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in November of twenty twelve, and it was while I was Secretary of State and Hamas was firing rockets and killing Israelis, and Yahoo was the Prime minister then just as now, and was planning a ground invasion of Gaza. And so I was actually with President Obama in Cambodia at a different meeting of Asian countries, and so he and I talked about it, and I flew from Cambodia to Israel and negotiated with the Israeli government, went to Ramala to negotiated with the Palestinian authority. And there was a new government in Egypt which was headed by a president from the Muslim Brotherhood, and people didn't know him well and they hadn't really tested him. And I went to Cairo and negotiated with him, and he did the right thing of you know, working with and putting pressure on Hamas for a ceasefire.
Speaker 4: So we got a ceasefire.
Speaker 3: But it was intense effort and it wasn't anything like the horrors of October seventh. So I know how hard this is and how difficult, you know, the underlying issues are. But I've got every hope that maybe we can get to a ceasefire, and if we do, I think it's possible that we could see some you know, really positive uh commitments from Arab countries in the Gulf primarily uh to be good partners in trying to help the Palestinians. So that that's, you know, that base, that's based on conversations I had as late as yesterday, and you know, let's hope that they can get that done.
Speaker 1: I'm going to spend the last ten minutes or so, I told your team I may go over a little. Rachel Maddow can wait right. I wanted to focus on a few more personal aspects hillary of your book. You know, one of the things that has helped you throughout your life the ups and downs, is a circle of female friends, many of whom you've had over a lifetime, your sister friends, as Mia Angelou would say. Talk about why they've been so important to you. I know you recently took a trip to Vegas to see Adele.
Speaker 4: I want to hear all about that trip.
Speaker 1: Or is this a case of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?
Speaker 4: Was it like the female version of the hangover? Oh what stays in Vegas?
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, I have been blessed with a circle of friends, as you say, Katie. In the book, I write about some of my friends literally going back to kindergarten and elementary and high school, and then so many other friends over the course of my life, and and literally I cannot imagine having lived the life I've lived without having the friends that I've had. They have lifted me up, they have kept me going, They have given me advice.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I didn't want to hear it, but I did.
Speaker 3: And I have to say I was listening to Lyssa when she came out. You know, I hired Lyssa to work for me in the White House and she's been a friend and a colleague ever since. And it's almost impossible for me to think about taking on all of these challenges that I've tried to address without my friends. And my friends are you know, so important to me. They show up for me. They you know, like the like the Adele story. You know, one of you know, three of my friends called me up shortly before my birthday last year and basically started the conversation by saying, you are really going to be old. I said, boy, I could have gone all day without hearing that. And after ribbing me some more because I'm older than they are, they said, hey, you know I think girls trip. Yeah, we're going to Vegas, we bought the tickets, We've done everything, and you know, it's that kind and I try to do it for them too. It's that kind of you know, support and love that has just made you know, made my life so rich and wonderful.
Speaker 1: But you know, one of the trade offs being open and vulnerable and close to people is you know, we're starting to lose some of those people. And I know you lost your lifelong best friend Betsy, who died of breast cancer in twenty nineteen. It was just a little over a month after you lost your brother Tony. And this is something we all have to deal with. As you know, I lost my husband when he was forty two and my sister in the span of five years. And I just have to mention I so remember, we'll always remember how kind you were.
Speaker 4: Hillary.
Speaker 1: Not only did you host an important event about coaling cancer at the White House shortly after Jay died, but you invited my sister Emily and me to have tea with you at the White House when she was battling pancreatic cancer and she had to drop out of the race for Lieutenant governor. She was running with Mark Warner in the state of Virginia. A lot of people thought Emily would be the first female governor of Virginia. So I'm curious, you know, the lessons you've learned. How you know, I've learned a lot, but how you've been able to cope with these tremendous losses that unfortunately we all experience and experience more of as we get older.
Speaker 3: You know, Katie, I think about you losing your husband and losing your sister, and uh, she was so dynamic, and you too, were just incredible together.
Speaker 4: She was the real star of our family. Well you both, you.
Speaker 3: Both had you know, just so much personality and intelligence and just fun and and you know that's something lost, something gained. You know, I really think a lot about all the people in my life that I've lost. And you know, my my late brother Tony. You know, my sister in law's here and one of his children as here, and you know, it was just way too soon. And I think about him all the time. I think about you know, his you know, funny expressions and you know the kind of jokes he used to tell, and growing up with him, even though I was older, and I and I, as you say, I mean, in a space of three months, I lost a really close friend, Ellen Tausher, former congresswoman from California, who also worked for me in the state Department. Then I lost Tony, that I lost Betsy, and it truly does just it just you know, it just strikes your heart that you know, these are people that were so much a part of your life and they're gone, and I think about them all the time. I write about my mother and my father. I mean they've been you know, gone a while too, my dad longer. And it's just part of life. And part of the way that I think about it is showing up for other people when they lose somebody because you just sharing that experience, sharing the you know, the the grief that comes with saying goodbye to somebody, telling stories that make you laugh because you know there's always something to remember about someone, you know, it just helps ease the pain. And I think, you know, you went on to be so focused on colon cancer and it was a way of you know, taking your grief and putting it to work to try to help other people. And so I feel very much the same way. I mean, how do we try to you know, ease each other's lives rather than being you know, so negative. How do we try to find the joy in life? And how do we try to help each other?
Speaker 1: I remember when my mom died, my minister called me. This always makes me sound like I go to church all the time, but I really don't, but I do sometimes. And he called and he said, those who love love deeply grief deeply. And it kind of switched turned to switch in me and made me go from feeling feelings so over was sorrow and it made me feel so much gratitude that I was able to love and be loved so intensely that the loss affected me so profoundly.
Speaker 4: If that makes sense, it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: And you know, there's a wonderful quote from Thornton Wilder in the Bridge of San Luis, Rey where he said, you know, there's the land of the living and the land of the dead, but the bridge is love. I mean, just because somebody's gone, you don't stop loving that person. You don't stop thinking about that person, you don't stop remembering special moments with that person. And I think that you know, your minister, who's probably had to say that to a lot of people, understood exactly what needed to be said, so that you could feel that the grief was part of the fact that you had loved Jay so much. I mean, you know, I I really write about my faith in this book too, because it's gotten me through a lot. My friends and my faith have been incredible support systems for me. And when you go through hard times with people, you know, you need, whether you're religious or not, you need to kind of fill your mind and your heart with the wisdom of other people so that you have something to fall back on and you're not just taking that journey by yourself.
Speaker 1: You write a lot about Bill, who's now writing his own book. You talk about your relationship, which is really interesting, which I think has been more scrutinized, the most scrutinized relationship in history. Thanks after a little teaser, we're almost out of time, but I spy a little friendship bracelet on that left wrist.
Speaker 3: Yes, a young woman in the crowd gave these to me, and I love I love having them because you know what, I love Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Seem somebody tweeted the opposite today, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Or yesterday, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Do you think her endorsement will have an impact on the election? I mean hundreds of thousands of people visited that website to at least consider registering to vote. Right, we don't know if they actually did.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Look, I think you know I am you know, I am somebody who believes there are many, many, many different doors that can open to bring somebody to voting and voting for a particular candidate, And.
Speaker 4: And celebrities can do that.
Speaker 3: You know, somebody who may may not think much about voting, you know, it's just not you know, they're young, or they're busy, or whatever the reason might be. You know, that can break through and they can stop and think, wow. You know what Taylor Swift said in her endorsement is she did her research and you know, talked about why she made that decision. So you know, somebody who admires her, who's a fan of hers, reading that say, oh well, maybe that, you know, can influence me to think about it. So yeah, I think all of that makes a difference. It's these elections are so close, they're all on the margins, and anything that can inspire somebody to actually vote and hopefully vote, you know, for their own future, which means voting for you know, the vice president.
Speaker 4: To me, that's good. That's all to the good.
Speaker 1: And if if Kamala Harris is elected, can you envision a role for yourself in a Harris administration?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, but what I what I canon vision is to be as helpful as possible. You know, her, her sister's a friend of mine, she worked for me in my twenty sixteen campaign. Her husband as friends with my husband and my son in law and my daughter. I mean we really feel, you know, very connected to her and her family.
Speaker 1: So you hosted a number of dinners for her at your house when.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I hosted a dinner and she was vice president at the beginning. Yeah, and you know Doug has been over to our house.
Speaker 3: I mean yes, we really, we really think these you know, are too remarkable and wonderful people. And so yeah, I will do everything I can to help and every way.
Speaker 1: So well, Hillary Clinton, such a pleasure, such an honor.
Speaker 4: The book is something lost, something Gang. Thank you so so much. I hope you enjoyed the book.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Everyone. If you have a question for me, a subject you want us to cover, or you want to share your thoughts about how you navigate this crazy world, reach out You can leave a short message at six h nine five P one two five five five, or you can send me a DM on Instagram.
Speaker 4: I would love to hear from you.
Speaker 1: Next Question is a production of iHeartMedia and Katie Couric Media. The executive producers are Me, Katie Kuric, and Courtney Ltz. Our supervising producer is Ryan Martz, and our producers are Adriana Fazzio and Meredith Barnes. Julian Weller composed our theme music. For more information about today's episode, or to sign up for my newsletter, wake Up Call, go to the description in the podcast app, or visit us at Katiecuric dot com. You can also find me on Instagram and all my social media channel. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.