Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Kotsubue is a community of about three thousand people in northwest Alaska. It sits roughly thirty miles north of the Arctic Circle.
Speaker 1: It's pretty remote. There's no roads that connect to the community or any of the communities in the region. We primarily travel by plane, boat, or in the wintertime, we use snowmobiles to kind of travel along the ice.
Speaker 2: Desiree Hagen lives there. She's the news director of the local public radio station KOTZ In Kotsubu.
Speaker 1: I'm the only news person. I'm the only reporter, and it's a region the size of Indiana.
Speaker 2: Most of Kottsubu's residents are in newpiac, a group indigenous to northwestern Alaska. Their families have been there for generations. It's a community big on nature.
Speaker 1: We have a major dog race. It's like the last dog race of the season, dog machine race. It's in April. I've always wanted to do it. I've always thought like, maybe one day I.
Speaker 3: Could do this race.
Speaker 2: Many residents are also shareholders or employees of NANA. It's a for profit corporation established by Congress in the nineteen seventies as a settlement over land claims by indigenous tribes and to prop up Alaska's native economies. Twice a year, Nana shareholders get a dividend payout of the company's profits.
Speaker 1: Everybody looks forward to Nana dividends to dividend time.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty five, the average payout for the year per shareholder will be about three three hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: They'll hold off doing things until they get their dividend, Like once I get my dividend, I'm going to get a new four wheeler, or you know, hey, can I borrow some money. I'll pay you back when dividends get here.
Speaker 2: Historically that money came from Nana work in local industries like oil and mining. In fact, Nana leases the mining rights to one of the largest lead and zinc mines in the world. But in recent years, the overwhelming majority of Nana's revenue, the money that's fueling those dividend payments, it's come from a subsidiary of the company, and a chunk of that money comes from a corner of Nana's business that some shareholders say they weren't aware of, ice detention facilities.
Speaker 4: There were folks who were surprised to learn that the company was involved in this work.
Speaker 2: Potly Mason's is an investigative reporter at Bloomberg. She visited Kotzebu to report with Desiree on Nana's growing relationship with ICE, and Poty says that as news of those government contracts has come to light, it's caused deep concern among some in the community.
Speaker 4: The shareholders who I spoke with, they all sort of had the same refrain that they were, you know, they totally understood that these might be profitable contracts, but they were concerned that, however profitable they might be, that they did not uphold the values of their community, and that they were zerned about human rights conditions and how people might be treated in these facilities.
Speaker 2: I'm David Gera, and this is the Big Take from Bloomberg News Today. On the show, a collaboration between Bloomberg News, Kotz and Alaska Public Media, How an Alaska Native Corporation became an ICE detention giant, and why some of its shareholders are now speaking out. Alaska Native Corporations were established through the Alaska Native Claim Settlement Act in nineteen seventy one. In exchange for dropping their claims to vast areas of the state, Alaska natives received roughly forty five million acres of land and nearly one billion dollars in a settlement payment. The act helped clear the way for the trans Alaska Pipeline system and came after a push from Alaska Native leaders to create an alternative to the reservation system of the lower forty eight states. So divided Alaska into twelve regions and established a private, for profit regional corporation for each of them. NANA is one of those corporations. The regional corporations got mineral and oil rights for those lands, and nana's over fifteen thousand shareholders are eligible for a cut of those profits. Here's Kotz's Desiree Hagen.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons that this was created was some of the people that were sort of the architects of this system. They wanted people to be independent so that they could do activities like subsistence hunting and fishing and would have a sort of passive income.
Speaker 2: Desiree and Bloomberg's Polymoscins have been reporting on NANA, the Alaska Native corporation that got spun up in Consubu and its surrounding area after President Nixon signed that legislation into law. Polly says, at first, NANA invested in industries that were close to home in.
Speaker 4: Their business, sort of in the seventies and early eighties, a lot of what they're focused on is natural resources. They're focused on oil, on mining, on supporting the Trans Alaska pipeline system, and they start to struggle a little bit. They're having a little bit of trouble, and Congress sees a way out, they see a solution, and they decide to extend what's called the eight A Program.
Speaker 2: The eight A Program is essentially a carve out. It's meant to help socially and economically disadvantaged groups compete for government contracts, and it requires the federal government to reserve a certain percentage of contracts to bidders from those backgrounds.
Speaker 4: That basically means that instead of competing in this huge, huge, huwed wide world of government contracting, you're competing in a different program that's a little bit smaller and geared towards these smaller, perhaps disadvantage groups.
Speaker 2: NANA has been doing work for the federal government as far back as nineteen ninety five when it got a contract to provide services to the US Military Academy at West Point.
Speaker 4: They're doing variety of work in all corners of the federal government. There is technical work, there's tech support, there's DoD contracting. You know, it's not like they are just in one teeny tiny sliver of the federal government. There are no shortage of contracts that they are going to take on.
Speaker 2: And in twenty twelve, Nana organized all of its federal contracting under one subsidiary called Akama. The next year, Akama hired a former assistant ICE Field Office director. His LinkedIn page lists his role at the company that year as director of Operations. By twenty fourteen, Okama won its first contract to run an ice detention facility, the Chrome North Service Processing Center in Miami.
Speaker 4: You might have heard of Chrome more recently this year because it was one of the centers that was over capacity in the early Trump administration earlier this year. That is their first foray into ice work. From there, they take on the Batavia Detention Center, which is in New York State, And now they've got about a half dozen places that they're operating.
Speaker 2: Among those half dozen other places is Guantanamo Bay. Through its subsidiary NANA, runs the Trump administration's migrant detention facility there.
Speaker 4: That's a really big one. I think that that is a facility that has not actually held a ton of people, but gotten a lot of attention because of its location.
Speaker 2: What do we know broadly speaking about the conditions inside these ICE facilities that are run by Akama.
Speaker 4: So I'll start off by speaking about Chrome. Chrome during the second Trump administration in its early days, you know, it was being cited for just overflow issues. And you know the other thing that we start hearing about Chrome that people feel unsafe there, they feel overcrowded.
Speaker 2: Since the start of the year, four men in ICE custody have died after being detained at Chrome. At another Akama managed detention center near Buffalo, New York, government inspectors repeatedly found that guards used inappropriate force. In a lawsuit, those detained there have alleged they were subject to forced labor. Acama has denied the forced labor allegations, and the case hasn't yet gone to trial. Ice did not respond to requests for comment, and US Customs and Border Protection and the Department of Homeland Security have not responded to claims by detained immigrants Bloomberg spoke with. Nana also did not reply to a detailed list of questions from Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: However, in April, after a Facebook poll was conducted by some shareholders who were concerned about this line of work, the company did note that they felt like this work did uphold their values of their community, and the company noted that they were not able to disclose some of the nature of the contract and speak publicly extensively at the time.
Speaker 2: But through the years, Nana's contract work through Akama and the eight AA program has only grown. Polly says, it's a noteworthy example of a diversity and inclusion initiative that survived under an administration trying to get rid of them. NANA subsidiaries have secured contracts worth nearly one point two billion dollars to work with ICE over the past decade. That's according to government contracting data compiled by Bloomberg Government. So what does all this mean for NANA shareholders in Kotzebue. Polly spoke with Roswell Schaeffer Senior, a man who's had many lives in the city growing up.
Speaker 5: Everybody had to help in the household to survive. So we picked berries. We picked greens where we hunt constantly, and.
Speaker 4: I picked salmon berry's yesterday.
Speaker 3: Oh you did that all cool.
Speaker 2: He's been a commercial fisherman, a subsistence hunter, and an artist. He's been a mayor, a councilman, and a judge. And from nineteen ninety to nineteen ninety two he was also the president and chief executive officer of Nana. He told Polly, the Nana of today is a far cry from the corporation he oversaw.
Speaker 4: So what kind of business was Nana doing at the time that you were president.
Speaker 5: Well, there they had a construction company, we had a fishing business, oil oil services, electrical services up on the Norse Smoke. We had all kinds of jobs light that.
Speaker 2: Now with the ice contracts, Shaffer says, the corporation has lost its way.
Speaker 5: That's that the contract really goes contrary to our values. Absolutely, the attention facilities like that are against our principles.
Speaker 2: A lot of Nana's ice business is run thousands of miles away from Kotzebue. So who's in charge and how are shareholders making their concerns known? That's after the break over the last decade. NANA, the Alaska Native corporation based in the city of Kotzebue, has one contracts worth more than one billion dollars to run and support ice detention facilities, and residents of the community who get a dividend of the corporation's profits, are starting to raise concerns that this business doesn't align with the community's values, but Bloomberg's Polymosin says that a lot of that business happens far away. Kotspew doesn't have ice attention facilities in town, and the subsidiary that handles nana's federal contracting, ACAMA, is headquartered thousands of miles away from the Arctic Circle.
Speaker 4: So they are run really kind of like a traditional classic government contractor. It's exactly where you expect them to be an office park in Virginia. You know, the folks who are running it have a lot of career experience in the federal government, and some folks who they're hiring that's really what they've always done, just in this case they're doing it for an Alaska Native corporation.
Speaker 2: Crucial to all that business is Akima's CEO and president, Bill Monet. He's a Virginia executive who's worked in government contracting for decades.
Speaker 4: Money is certainly well compensated. If we look at his compensation over the last six years, it's almost forty million dollars.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four, Money received seven point nine million dollars according to a proxy statement filed by the company. That's roughly two million dollars more than the total compensation that year of the former CEO of Geogroup, the biggest private prison operator in the country.
Speaker 4: I do think that that is notable. You know, that's certainly not all of Bill Monet's job. They do a whole lot of other contracting. Dood work is a huge part of their business, like it is with most federal contracting. But I do you think it's important to know what his compensation looks like.
Speaker 2: Over that time, you mentioned that word began to spread about these ice contracts that NANA had. How would you describe that reaction among people in the community as they learned about that, The reaction among shareholders to that news.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people were shocked. They had not heard of it.
Speaker 2: Kotz's desire Hagen says that as news of Nana's ice contracts traveled through the community. Some shareholders found it troubling.
Speaker 1: One thing that comes up a lot is that it goes against their value system. So there are different values. It's in youpac illucusate, which is like, actually, I have them right here a list. I think it's about let's say, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven. I think it's about seventeen is when I'm counting, you know, and their like respect for elders, respect for tribe, respect for nature, you know, cooperation, hard work, humility, humor. You know, they go on. But one of the things that I heard a few people say is like, why are we doing this to other brown people? You know, why are we, as Indupac people doing this to another marginalized group.
Speaker 2: Polly says some shareholders are starting to speak out. There was that Facebook poll in March. The true response is from one hundred shareholders, and a majority of respondents said they disapproved of the work. A NANA shareholder emailed the corporation's board expressing her disapproval of Nana's contracts with ICE.
Speaker 4: A few months after she sent that letter, the shareholder received a response from the board chair and the board chair in a one page letter basically said we are comfortable with these contracts. The board has conducted site visits and that's that.
Speaker 2: And in late July, the issue resurfaced at a community meeting for NANA shareholders in the village of Deering.
Speaker 3: My English name is ru Ramos. I'm calling from the Lower forty eight, but I care deeply about what happened to our community, to our people, and how NANA leads.
Speaker 2: The meeting was intended to cover general business matters, but several shareholders pressed Nana's board on why Akama continues to work with ICE.
Speaker 3: So I'm asking and hoping for leadership from Nana to really assess whether those relationships are worth the financial woodfall that's clearly coming our way. So I really encourage us all to really think about being displaced from our lands. As a Lower forty eight Innuit, I feel really strongly that being displaced is the place in which our hearts and our spirits go to die. So I really hope that you all see the pain that where people are causing problems. So I'm asking for sharing. You often known we have RESK for connection.
Speaker 2: Nana's president said he thought their comments were heartfelt, but noted that connectivity issues made it difficult for some people on the call to hear them. Meanwhile, Akama's business with ice is continuing to grow. The value of Nana's ice contracts this year is approaching three hundred million dollars, a figure that Polly says is rising sharply.
Speaker 4: That is an increase of one hundred million dollars since last year. And while those are both plenty large numbers, we also need to be looking ahead at the forty five billion with a B dollars that are going to be dedicated to this line of work in the future. Now, I do think that as more people find out, perhaps that those careers are going to be more frequent, perhaps there'll be more shareholders asking these questions. But among the shareholders who have posed the question so far, they have not found a super robust plan from the board being presented. They haven't released any information about moving away from these contracts or anything like that, just that their impressions thus far is that they will be continue with this line of work and they do believe that their values are being upheld in how they handle this line of work.
Speaker 2: This is the big take from Bloomberg News. I'm David Gurra to get more from The Big Take and unlimited access to all of bloomberg dot Com. Subscribe today at Bloomberg dot com slash podcast offer. If you'd like this episode, make sure to follow and review The Big Take wherever you listen to podcasts. It helps people find the show. Thanks for listening. We'll be back tomorrow