Speaker 1: In our clubhouse, there's a saying right above the hallway to the girls locker room. It says person and bold all caps letters and then align and then athlete. So person first, athlete second, and the sooner they realize that it is the god honest truth that they're more important to me as a person than an athlete. That's when the magic happens.
Speaker 2: This is the Reform Sports Project, a podcast about restoring healthy balance and perspective in all areas of sports through education and advocacy. Hi, this is Nick Bonacor from the Reform Sports Podcast. My guest today is Patrick Murphy, head softball coach at the University of Alabama. Coach Murphy has helped build the Crimson Tide program from the very beginning, leading the team to a national championship victory, twenty four straight NCAA appearances, and seventeen Super regionals. Entering his twenty eighth year on the university's coaching staff, Patrick and I discuss why the best teams experienced vis curious, joy and other people's success, reminding his players that they are people first and athlete second, and why he has to saying in his program, can you handle thirty seconds? Of embarrassment for a lifetime of learning. Man, I got another awesome guest super up to have him head softball coach University of Alabama coach Pat Murphy, Coach, thanks so much for hopping on man.
Speaker 3: Nick, Thanks lot, coach, I got it.
Speaker 2: Mean congratulations Alabama Hall of Fame, Sports Hall of Fame. Last year, I think thirteen trips to the college. You know, the softball College World Series Women's College World Series national title in twenty twelve. Congrats, Like just an absolute dynamite program. A lot of coaches, a lot of sports parents, a lot of student athletes will listen to this, and coach, I got to ask, with all that success that you've had, like, how the hell do you start it? Like, I know you've been with the program since the mid nineties, is an assistant at Alabama, but like, how do you get the sustained success that seems to be the secret of the secret sauce that everyone's finding wanting to find?
Speaker 4: I should say, exactly, you know, this is starting year twelve at the University of Alabama for me, and I spent my probably first hour and a half of the morning texting anybody that has been with me for that long.
Speaker 1: Every boss so I've had at Alabama my current boss, doctor Karen Lee greg Burn, the athletic director at Alabama now. But it's just been a labor of love for sure, from day one, and it's been really really cool to be able to start a Division one program from scratch. And like you said, I was an assistant for the first two years and then I took over in July of ninety eight as the head coach.
Speaker 3: And been here ever since.
Speaker 1: But I think one of thet things is my associate head coach, Alison Habits. She's been here for twenty five years. She's been with me since I've been as head coach. So the consistency in our program, our string coach Michelle Dilts, she'sy to go on on year eighteen or nineteen with us. So that consistency and the staff, the people, I think that means a lot to the young ladies that come here because you know, once you get used to our system, we're pretty much going to be around, you know, for your entire career. And you know, I remember the first time we won the SEC And one of the coolest traditions at Alabama is you get a ring at halftime of a football game that next fall after you win a conference championship.
Speaker 3: So here we are out of.
Speaker 1: The fifty yard line, the athletic director and the president at the time are handing out rings to everybody on the team, the staff, and then as we're walking off, Malmore, the ad at the time, kind of puts his arm around me.
Speaker 3: And he was a backup quarterback when Joe Naman played.
Speaker 1: At Alabama and he's been around Alabama athletics for a long long time, and he kind of looked at me, and I know it wasn't a negative thing, it just was matter of factly he said, yeah, it's pretty cool, you know, first SEC championship, but it takes a really, really good program and a really good coach to win another one. And you know, I kind of looked up at him and I said, yes, sir, and then I thought, you know what, I'm going to win another one, and just year and year out. I look for the same type of kid when we recruit. We want kids who want to be here, because when they want to be here, they're not going to look over their shoulder and think, what if.
Speaker 3: They're going to be better academically, They're.
Speaker 1: Going to be better socially and they're certainly going to be better athletically.
Speaker 3: So we kind of stuck with the same formula from day one.
Speaker 2: You know, as you're talking, it got me thinking about, Like I mentioned to you before, I was fortunate enough to play for Mike Fox and Scott Forbes and Charlie Long and such at North Carolina Wesley and before coach Fox took the job at University of North Carolina, and we you know, it was Division three, but I mean, we were in the World Series every year and we were fortunately win a national title in nineteen ninety nine. But I remember when I was a sophomore, one of our freshmen at the time, we were about to win the conference championship. You know, we're sitting there on the edge of the dugout or whatever, and you know, you're getting ready to, you know, go celebrate with your teammates, and one of the freshmen looks at one of the upper class was actually the ace of our staff and says, so, what are we gonna do? You know, we're going to dog pile and all that, and and the upper classman, Sean Fleming shout out says to him, dude, we win the conference championship. Here we dogpile for regional and national championships.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: You know, we just expect we're gonna go out there, we're gonna shake hands, we're going to stop. But we don't dog pile for that. And I've never forgotten that story because you know, that was just the culture that was created. It was an expectation to go back to what you know, what you were describing, but that took time for the coaching staff to build. What I have found from my experience having played at a school that where that was the expectation is that wasn't an expectation put out by the coaching staff. That was an expectation that the players understood, and really it was led by the upper classmen, you know, getting the underclassmen in line. How do you create that? Is that when you have something really cooking, when when the players themselves or the athletes themselves are kind of leading that mentality.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I think you said it perfectly.
Speaker 1: When a team's player led, I think it's going to be a really really good team. And this was example this year where we had a really good senior class, including you know, Montana Fountain, you know, one of the best pitchers in the country and Ali Shipman dashing praying Faith Hensley, and you just kind of like, you know, I think one of the best things we do at Alabama, and we've done it for probably twenty years at least. I don't even remember the last time we didn't do it. But we do something called class dinners, And I used to have the entire team come over to my house the first week of school and I cooked dinner, and you know, there'd be thirty thirty five people there. The staff was invited and every time though, the new freshmen would be sitting in a corner by themselves, like the shyest kids at the junior high dance, scared of everything and wouldn't say a peep, and you know, it was like, oh my gosh, we got to do something different. So the next year I did class dinners, where one class at a time would come. So the seniors come to my house first, I cooked, the juniors go to my associate head coach's house, she cooked dinner. Sophomores go to my pitching coach's house. They cook dinner, and then the freshmen come to my house as well. And I read one time in a book, and it was an educational administration book, and I don't remember the name of it, but there was a stat in there that just blew me away, and it was if a freshman at any college steps foot in a house within that community where the college is, they're like eighty eight percent more likely to return to that school the next year just by feeling at home one time. You know, that doesn't matter if it was a professor, a coach, whatever. And so I want the freshmen to feel at home immediately. And it's the first week of school. Some of them might already be feeling homesick, but I want them to be able to come to a house, you know, feel at home. I usually cook one of their favorite meals and we get going that way. But the seniors when they come over, as the dinners get older, the biggest team throughout it all is leadership. And basically the entire senior class dinner, all we talk about is leadership and how we're going to do it this year and how they're going to do it. And I asked specific questions of what do you think is holding you back right now as a really good leader, And every senior has to say it out loud and we take notes. It's very open. It's sometimes it gets vulnerable with their answers, but we want to hear that, so that consistency.
Speaker 3: Year after year after year.
Speaker 1: They started as a freshman at my house, we talk a little bit about leadership. Then we go to the sophomore class, talk about leadership there, junior, even more senior. All it is about leadership, and I think it's helped us year after year after year. And you know, we'll do tweaks in the itinerary, but I've handled those out and coaches clinics, and I think a lot of people have found that they're very valuable for their team as well.
Speaker 2: So it just seems to use the word vulnerable, you know, being vulnerable, or it sounds like you're trying to create a safe space. So I make it comfortable. I know what it's like to be a freshman, and you know, it's very it's just new, right, it's new. It's it could be overwhelming. There's a competitive piece in there. You're nervous, you're trying to feel it out. You're no longer the big fish in a small pond. Now you're just a You're just a fish. Women with a usually just a little fishwoman with a bunch of sharks trying to figure it out and could be very intimidating. Do you let some of it happen organically? Like do you do you really try to coach your upper classmen how to handle the underclassmen or is that something that evolves over time? I mean, and I guess the next step of that question is how much effort goes into on a day to day basis really trying to build as much of a relationship you can with those freshmen as they're onboarding into the fall.
Speaker 3: Well, I think first thing.
Speaker 1: One of the things we do at the junior class outing is we do this role playing game and there's I think there's five scenarios that we have come up with that have actually happened in the history of our program.
Speaker 3: And some of it's not so good. You know. Some of it's typical of a team where somebody.
Speaker 1: Is complaining in the dugout that they don't get to play or they don't get to hit or something. And you know the people that hear that the most are the kids, the teammates.
Speaker 3: They're usually not complaining in front of the coach.
Speaker 1: Right, So how do we equip the young ladies to kind of deal with that? How do they respond to somebody that says, you know, why aren't I playing? You know, I hit really good in practice the other day and it's happened. They're all like true stories. So the junior class, we do this little game in front of my assistant coaches fireplace.
Speaker 3: It's like the stage and two of the coaches are the actors. We grab a junior. She goes up on stage.
Speaker 1: The two coaches talk about whatever the situation is, and then they start to engage the junior and she has to come up with what she would say to her teammate in this situation. And it takes about five to ten minutes each each little scenario, and then the others clap for her and they sit down and we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, how do you think she handled it?
Speaker 1: Does anybody have something maybe that they would do differently or say differently? How would you do it? And then the coaching staff gives their opinions. Man, Nick, you handled that perfectly. What you said at that time, that's money right there. That was a perfect response.
Speaker 3: And then we go from there.
Speaker 1: So that is definitely something we do and it's usually first week of September, so.
Speaker 3: They kind of have a little practice under their belt with that.
Speaker 1: I forget the second part of your question, but we do a lot of We have a team retreat in the fall. We do a ton of team building. I have a classroom actually in our building. Everybody's assigned a chair at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 2: So that includes a freshman as well, like do you go out of your way with freshmen in particularly just keep it all together?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We also do like separate things for just a freshman, and I'll pick like or four words that really mean a lot to our program, like grit, legacy, Moodida, servant leadership, and just the freshman will come to the classroom. I literally set a timer on my phone and I'll say, Hey, this is going to be twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: And if I'm still talking and my phone goes off, you're free to go. We're done. And I usually have a little story, I have a video.
Speaker 1: We'll maybe have an alum call in and have her say what grit meant to her, what servant leadership meant to her, what Medida means to her, and modida is having vicarious joy in someone else's success, So the opposite would be jealousy or envy, and we don't want any of that in our clubhouse and our sport because I think that's where teams die, when somebody becomes jealous and then they become detached from the program and the team, and it's.
Speaker 3: Just not a good thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure you realize that, but we really try to teach the culture to the freshman right away.
Speaker 3: So then smooth sailing for the next three years?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Modida Moudita named you.
Speaker 1: D I t a.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that before, and I got to tell you, you know, because I've seen it in my professional life, and it's like it doesn't matter whether it's a professional life or whether it's in a locker room. And I never understood this. I never took pleasure in seeing someone else struggle, like I want to see someone succeed because that reassures me that I can too. I just need to do what they do. It's like I just got to do what this person is doing. But there are people out there, particularly in sports, people will pull for someone to struggle, you know what, I mean, to get their shop that I don't believe. I don't know of anyone that ever succeeded as a result of that. But that is something I'm so glad you brought that, something that is real, and it goes on. How do you balance that because, let's face it, in order to have a really successful program, even for me in my last couple of years, when I was the number one catcher and I knew I was going to start, But you know, coach with Tom, hey, we're bringing this other kid in. It's almost like you want to keep some one on the edge of their seat a little bit right, keep a little sense of urgency so there's no complacency. But how do you juggle that competition because you're recruiting new players and everyone wants to start. But keep them where they can balance the team aspect that and put aside their ego if they just didn't win the job.
Speaker 1: Yes, so number one, we have to teach them what the bigger picture is. You always have to have the bigger picture of mind, and that's getting degree from the University of Alabama, being a successful business person for forty fifty years after you graduates.
Speaker 3: That's number one. You see the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: Way too many kids and parents only see what's ten feet in front of them, and that is just so upsetting me when that happens and they don't realize the bigger picture is what really truly matters, So we try to hammer that home from the very beginning. The second thing is, and sometimes this is more for parents than kids, but we try to get our young laby. He needs to understand they do not have to be on the field to help us win. They do not have to be playing in a game to help us win. I'm gonna love you no matter if.
Speaker 3: You go zero for four, four for four, or are.
Speaker 1: The pinch runner in the sixth inning room. We need to run, okay. And you know, in our clubhouse, there's a saying right above the hallway to the girls locker room, and it says person in bold all caps letters and then align and then athlete. So person first, athlete second, and it's in gold letters, and it's the only thing in our entire clubhouse that's written in gold. Okay, because it's not important to us, And the sooner they realize that it is the god honest truth that they're more important to me as a person than an athlete, that's when the magic happens. The sky's the limit with the team, the young lady, but I have to do things. I have to say things, the team to say things.
Speaker 3: We're really really.
Speaker 1: Big in affirmation, and it just it kind of has snowballed over the years. But this fall or last ball, when we started, it was team twenty seven, which is the twenty seven to year valve by the Softball At the very first team meeting, I remember saying I want affirmation to be just as easily talked about as accountability. So we do something called prompts and own its at the end of every practice.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to give Nick.
Speaker 1: A prompt and then you say what you loved about Nick, okay, And then when everybody's done with the props, I'll say, Okay, somebody have an own it. And that means they're going to take accountability for maybe a mistake that day, or maybe they didn't go so hard for a ground ball or a fly ball, or they didn't die for a ball or whatever it is. So the props are really quite easy and they flow, and it's awesome to see and they're really good at it.
Speaker 3: You know. I was really proud of this team.
Speaker 1: But then when you come to the own it's it's not as many, and usually it's maybe one, and then maybe the third day there's two, and then maybe the two weeks into it, there's like four people, and then you know, I really believe that if I can affirm the behavior I love in you, Nick, I should be able to turn around and say, Nick, you got to be better, dude. We need you to win because I just affirm something that truly truly love in you. And another thing that we always say is you can't be fake about it. You have to be genuine with either your praise or you know, let's.
Speaker 3: Get your head out of your butt.
Speaker 1: So if they realize that they're coming from a good place, and when they affirm you, it should be the same exact thing when they hold you accountable for something. I think it's really really hard for kids nowadays to be able to accept the criticism.
Speaker 3: They can take the praise right, but to be able to take the accountability and.
Speaker 1: The criticism as easily as the affirmation. It just does wonders for a team, and this team this past year for us was probably one of the best I've ever had with those two words.
Speaker 2: When we come back Coach Murphy and I discuss self esteem and how parent egos can negatively impact their child's success. Before we head to break, I have a question for you. Are you tired of your current sports management platform? Is it just not getting the job done? While our partner and industry leader, Team Snap is making it easier than ever to switch to their Team Snap for Business platform and unlock fifteen hundred dollars in savings with their exclusive Seamless Transition promotion. The offer includes white glove transition services to their all in one sports management platform with registration, communication, scheduling, and more, all designed to improve experiences for parents, athletes, and administrators. You can be up and running on their platform in three weeks or less if you sign up for the Seamless Transition promotion by November fifteenth. Visit teamsnap dot com today to register. Offer valid only for new Team Snap customers with mid to large size organizations. Where we left off, Patrick and I were about to talk about why he values the intangibles that potential recruits bring to the team and the importance of athletes taking eight weeks off throughout the year. You're kind of you're getting me fired up, because I mean, I love when I hear, especially folks at your level who are so successful, say things that it's like God, you know, I believe in it, you know, and I've lived it, and it's what I try to be. And you're not perfect at it. But you know, as a parent and as someone I have six kids, a lot of the audience knows that anywhere from my oldest is eighteen, youngest is going to be five here soon. It's like, you love your kids. Now, I'm a little bit different. I don't like to see them struggle, but I look at struggle as a gift, you know. I look at struggle as a learning opportunity. I look at struggle as this is an opportunity to get better and no matter what it is. But it is very different, especially in the youth. And I hear a lot of nightmare stories in the travel softball realm where everyone's chasing that thing and and that scholarship piece or whatever, and you know, and that god that chase starts a day nine ten years old. With parents, and you know, it's hard as a parent of times to not look at your kid as if they can't do any wrong right, the world revolves around them. How important isn't though, for parents to allow coaches to coach their kid and to allow them to struggle. And have you had experiences where you've had kids come on campus where they've had very little, if any adversity, and they've been told they're great their whole life, and they get there in the first sign of struggle that they fold. And the opposite, how many kids have you seen really really struggle, had to really work their tail off, and then they click on all cylinders when they get on campus because this isn't a new struggle for them.
Speaker 3: Both of those.
Speaker 1: But the thing that I still like would bring to the forefront with all this is the parent has to realize that, you know, the coach.
Speaker 3: Is going to love their kid no matter what she does.
Speaker 1: So it's okay if she's hitting two fifty because the coach is okay. I think way too many times, self esteem, ego, you name, it is all wrapped up in batting average or eer and I've heard it, I've seen it. You know, I've seen a young lady give up a home run and a travel ball Toronto and the dad literally punches a tree that's next to him.
Speaker 3: That's just not good.
Speaker 1: Or the young lady goes oh for four and on the ride back to the hotel, not a word is said in a car, So all she's thinking to herself is my dad only loves me.
Speaker 3: If I go four for four or gets a hit.
Speaker 1: That's just not a good, good path to go down as a parent. You know, one of the books that I recommend to any gentleman that has daughters. And our equipment manager just told me yesterday that he's having a daughter. I said, okay, dude, I got a book for you. And it's called Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters, as by a doctor Meg Meeker, and it's m E E K E R. And I've read it probably ten times, and it seems like and I don't know how many girls you have or what's the ratio of the kids, but.
Speaker 2: I got five boys, one girl, a lot of testosterone in my house.
Speaker 1: Usually my baseball buddies, that's the opposite. They have three girls, four girls, five girls, one boy or no boys. So that's why I always recommend this book. But if the parent is okay with the kid being a role player, the kid will be okay with it.
Speaker 3: It's very, very.
Speaker 1: Difficult to get a kid to buy in to be a member of the team, to be a part of something bigger than what she is if the parent is not okay with it, and that is just unfortunately, because usually the kids are okay. The kids are fine, we don't have to worry about the young lady. It's it's unfortunately some parents that the ego gets in the way and kind of ruins a good situation for the young lady.
Speaker 2: The pushback on that would be coach, you know, my kids on a great team, and they need exposure because they're not going to let the coach. Murphy's not gonna see my daughter if they're not getting the same amount of playtime. And I'm also paying big bucks, you know for this, and it's just not fair and YadA, YadA, YadA, YadA YadA, because let's face it, the exposure piece is what I mean. I'm sorry, it seems like that is exactly what drives a lot of this. The whole entire travel, youth sports tourism industry that's you know, growing by leaps and bounds, and it's a thirty billion dollar roughly industry. It's projected by twenty twenty nine to be upwards of an eighty billion dollar industry. So it's like, you're spending all this money I want to return on my investment. How do you coach to the life lessons when it's like, because not for nothing, A lot of these parents are being pitched the idea that hey play for me and I got an in with coach Murphy or I'm just using it as an example, but that happens all the time. So a lot of times parents are are being manipulated in some ways. You know, not in all cases, but how do you navigate that?
Speaker 1: You know? And when we have camps and clinics, I always say, if you want to play.
Speaker 3: At the next level, there's this for everybody.
Speaker 1: And you know an AIA schools win national championships, there's JUCO national championships. Every level has a national championship, so there's places for everybody. But you have to be honest with yourself in terms of where is the spot where I need to be?
Speaker 3: Okay, we have a.
Speaker 1: Saying in our program, can you handle thirty seconds of embarrassment for a lifetime of learning? Because what I'm about to tell you, Nick, you might be a little embarrassed about it, but it's probably going to help you for a lifetime, So I'll say that probably the first week of school I'll use that saying, and then maybe in the fall there's a time where I need to say, you're a little short on this whatever the whatever the situation might be. And then I'll say, do you remember what I said about thirty seconds of embarrassment because it could happen right now, But do you want a lifetime of learning? And you know what the answer always is, yes, sir, let me hear it. So you know, and we always say you have to be truly honest to your teammates in order to be a really good friend. You know, you cannot beat around the bush. You have to be able to be one hundred percent honest with your teammates to help them out. That's that's what they want to hear. They want to hear the honest truth. And I think it was was it Joe Madden that had the quote where it said, you know, if I lie to my players, they're going to hate me for life. If I tell them the truth, they might dislike me for two weeks. Sure, you know, just got to tell them the truth all the time, all right.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you this as a legend in coaching, but obviously in the sport of softball. Set the record straight for softball parents, like, does it matter if a kid is a multi sport athlete or does it matter if the kid's been playing softball year round since they're eight? Do you have a preference? Do you think there is any correlation to being a multi sport athlete or a kid that specialized and plays a softball year around that they're better or worse or is it all an individual case by case? Like where do you stand and is there a right or wrong?
Speaker 1: I absolutely love multi sport kids. Boy girl, I feel like once you're done with your softball, baseball, basketball, whatever it is that you play that you're like primary. I think it gives your entire body, your mental outlook, everything, a chance to be able to just take a deep breath.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Let's say you play baseball in the summer in the fall and then you want to play basketball, Go for it.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 1: It's different muscles, and you know, one of the coolest things about it is you might not start in basketball. You're probably the top dog in baseball or softball, but when it comes to basketball, you love it. But you're like the six seventh to eight person. You know how many life lessons you're going to learn there. But you know, one of the questions we always ask every recruit is have you always been in the starting lineup? And if not, how did you handle that?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And almost every single time, obviously they start it in softball, but.
Speaker 1: Then the young lady will say, well, you know, I did play basketball, and shoot, I really got on the court. And then I said, well, how did you handle that? She said, I loved it, I loved the team. We were really good. So you know, you try to ask all these leading questions because what I'm getting at is, if you come here and you don't play, what is it going to be like? Because best case scenario, Nick, you're going to start every gamut catcher. Yeah, case scenario, you're not going to play. How do you handle it? And I don't think a lot of people think about it.
Speaker 2: When you you mentioned the recruiting piece of it, like how much of an impact for you are the parents like? Did an impact? Negatively? If dad is punching the tree, are you like, dude, I don't want that guy? That's that that could be a problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, Unfortunately, that's not something that we would recruit. That's not somebody we would recruit for sure. I like to see they go over four and they strike out three times. I'm usually trying to go as close to the dugout as we possibly can to see how she's handling that.
Speaker 3: Does she go to the end of the dugout out and throw her stuff or does she put her stuff, you.
Speaker 1: Know, in the helmet rack, put her bat down, take her batting gloves off, and then get in the front of the dug out and start cheering for the next kid.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think you tell a lot by watching a kid when they fail versus you know, the starters shoot, they love and everything. Right, that's easy to be a starter. The hardest thing is to not be a starter and still pull for the team, you know, and can you do that?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: And you know, the role player to me is the reason why we win championships and why we're successful because they have good vibe about them and they cheer for the person in front of them. Now, they don't give up, and they don't settle. Like you said at the very beginning of this, I don't want anybody settling because then it's kind of a waste of a spot on the roster.
Speaker 3: I want you to push the starter.
Speaker 1: Of the time and make her better because if you both get better, the team is going to get better.
Speaker 3: Coach.
Speaker 2: As we wrap up here, you got the mic right, You're a set in the stage, You're on the podium. You're speaking to a room full of five hundred at student athletes and their parents in there. You know, there anywhere from eighth grade to a junior in high school. These are all kids that want to come play at Alabama. They want to play softball for you, or they just want to get to the next level. What do they have to do to get on your radar? What are the things that you're looking for to be a part of your program.
Speaker 3: Well, I think number one is.
Speaker 1: And it's probably the most boring thing in the world, but be good at the fundamentals of anything in whatever sports you're playing. So when a coach sees you, they secret things and everything you know, and softball and baseball season for me, throw run hit field, you know, like, oh my gosh. And you should be able to walk past a field and say, shure, that's an athlete. Wow, look at her. I'll give you a little background on that too. Is one of the questions we ask everybody is if you come to Alabama, what type of intangible would you bring to the program? And then I always say, do you know what an intangible is? And sometimes they don't, sometimes they do. Tangible is something you can't see, touch or feel, and it's something inside you. A tangible thing is when I walk across the field and I look over my shoulder, I see, wow, she can throw, she can hit, she can feel as an athlete, she can run. But that's easy. Anybody can see that. You know, my mom could walk across the field and say, wow, she's a good athlete. But what I want to know is what's inside you, which is the bigger picture. What would you bring to the program if you came to us that I don't know yet, Like what's inside your heart?
Speaker 3: What type of kid are you? What type of person are you?
Speaker 1: What type of leadership trade could you bring that I don't know about you? And when I asked that question, the parents are just they know everything about the young lady and they want to talk for her, and sometimes they even like sit on their hands.
Speaker 3: Because they're about to talk.
Speaker 1: And I realize that the young lady needs to answer the question. And some of the answers and Nick had just been would just blow you out of the water. It's just unbelievable. And those are the kids I want in the program. But see the bigger picture. Work hard on the fundamental obviously, kind to have the grades, you know, to get any school, be a well rounded kid, because there's way too many injuries nowadays, you know, after done in high school, in summer ball, it's just way, way too many.
Speaker 3: It's overused.
Speaker 1: You know, the best orthopedic in the world was doctor Andrews and Birmingham and yeah, he had come over to Alabama one time. They talk to all the string coaches out like trainers and coaches because there was this rash of shoulder injuries. And I'll never forget if he said, you know, every athlete needs to take eight weeks off of their activity in a year. Eight weeks, so put down the football, put down the baseball, put down the bat, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: And he didn't. He didn't mean he had to.
Speaker 1: Do it consecutively, like two months off, but just sit it down and stay in shape.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: And when I say that at coaches clinics, almost every single time I get a coach who's usually a dad that comes up and says, did you say eight.
Speaker 3: Days or eight weeks? And I spent eight weeks.
Speaker 1: Just take some time off, And it just it drives me nuts when I see the tweets that say hashtag no days off. Yes, there needs to be days off, and a lot of them.
Speaker 2: I freaking love it. Doctor Andrews, that's the goat in this space, and I've read his research and seen his works. It's mine about Coach. I can't thank you enough for coming on and sharing. You sound a lot. You and coach I have Coach Tim Corbin on episode one, and you guys have a lot in common. He talks a lot about the classroom and you know, with his coaching, philosophy and teaching, you remind me a lot of Coach Corps. So guys are both stud So I can't thank you enough for coming on to Sharon. This has been freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, and that's a great comparison. I respect the heck out of Coach Corbyn.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish you the best of luck, and you know, I'm sure you're gonna have another hell of a year. But I can't thank you enough.
Speaker 3: Coach, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: That's Patrick Murphy, head softball coach at the University of Alabama. Thanks for listening to the Reform Sports Podcast. If you've enjoyed this episode, we would appreciate it if you took a moment to rate and review our podcast. As we work to grow our community of supporters and advocates for more reform sports content, please subscribe to our newsletter and blog at Reformsports Project dot com. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.