Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Leftstetch Podcast. My guest today is Mark Warton, Lamb of God. He's got a new memoir, Desolation. Mark. Why the memoir? Why? Now?
Speaker 2: I wish I had a snappy answer for that. It was really kind of, honestly, a dare from a friend of mine who wound up being my co writer. He didn't really write on the book. He more cleaned up my stuff. But I guess that's the closest thing we could name it as a co writer. But we were friends before this, and we talked a fair amount, and we were at the beach. He has a place down in the Outer Banks, and my family and I go down there quite a bit to that area, and we were hanging out drinking coffee, and I was telling the story and he was like, man, I think you really got a book in you, and we just kind of with a laugh, agreed to write a sample chapter. And that sample chapter got us a book deal. So then I reached this crossroads of like, okay, well you know that was a fun chapter, right, and now I have this deal offer, Am I really going to write a book? And? I guess I don't guess the answer was, in fact, yes, Bob.
Speaker 1: So how long ago did you write that sample chapter?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I don't know it was several years ago, it because it took me about two years to write the book, and I would say that was probably six months before.
Speaker 1: So you say that you literally wrote the book, the guy essentially just edit it. You sat down there at either of you wrote it.
Speaker 2: I wrote every single word.
Speaker 1: A lot of people find it difficult to write. How did you find it?
Speaker 2: I found it. I found it all the things, So it was it was difficult. Some of the stuff, I will say was a little bit difficult to write about. Some of the book was a joy to write about. And I found myself chuckling out loud as I was writing stuff because it just brings back, you know, it's a memoir, so it's things that have happened in my life, and it brings back this flood of a lot of really really fond memories, a lot of funny stuff. There's a lot of you know, there's tragedy, and there's a lot of dark stuff in my story as well, and I covered a lot of that pretty in depth. So some of that was challenging to write. About There were a few chapters, a couple chapters, but specifically when I was writing them, I was in a bad mood for those few days. One kind of funny and unexpected, although only unexpected because I didn't think about it. Challenge is that I don't type very well at all. I just simply, on a very practical level, can't type. So that made for a real challenging write because you have to type. I'm the one writing everything, so it really would. My wife would make fun of me. I would go up to my studio and say, I'm just gonna write five hundred thousand words to day, and I'd be up there for a couple of hours. Or what is what are you doing up there? Like hint, pecking away at this book?
Speaker 1: Well, by the time you were done, were you a better typist?
Speaker 2: I think I must have been. Yeah, I must have been. I don't think I'm a very I'm still a very conventional typist, but I can. I can bang out some words, okay.
Speaker 1: In the sample, a lot of the book has to do with drug addiction. Was the sample heavy on the drug addiction and Hashet, which is a very major publisher, wanted to buy it because of that story or was it more that they were good buy it because you were and liamb of.
Speaker 2: God, Well, I never really asked them, Bob. I would imagine from what I've learned in this process is that in the modern day book world, much like I think in the modern day music world, I think whoever is making these decisions is quantifying someone's social media presence, quantifying whatever their marketing value is in their given field. And I'm sure they have algorithms or formulas that help them predict how successful something is going to be commercially. I can't imagine that they didn't plug in those types of things for me, with music and social media and that kind of thing, and come up with the fact that they could probably market some books. No one told me that. I'm just guessing that, And then hopefully they thought that it was a good sample chapter and that it was intriguing. The gentleman that that signed me to the book deal was certainly very entertained by the chapter that the chapter that I turned in as a sample was. If you've read the book, it's a chapter about me being on tour in Europe and being in this beautiful alpine setting on a day off and instead of doing the things that any noise normal person would do in that setting and taking in the sites and enjoying the environment, I was focused on some real hair brained idea on how I was going to create a high for myself that day. And it really it's parts of that story are kind of funny, and then parts of it are really very sad because it represents the way that addiction just completely takes over your mindset and very much possesses you to the point where you can't really see reality as it is because you're just chasing this solution to a problem that you keep creating for yourself.
Speaker 1: So, now that the book has been out, what has been your.
Speaker 2: Experience, Well, my experience with the book and the feedback I've gotten has been a lot of people have come to me and say that the book really touched them. And I think, Bob, this story is not just about alcoholism and drug addiction, and that's certainly a component of it. There's a several stories going on in the book. And I didn't have an intention for this when I sat down to write it. I honestly didn't know exactly what I was going to write. And I'm like that with music as well. A lot of times I'll sit down and I won't necessarily have a plan. I'll just kind of start poking around and see if something starts taking shape and coming into form. And I wrote each of these chapters very much the same way, although of course I had the guide of time of sequence of timelines to help guide me. So, you know, a lot of people talk to me about the alcoholism and the addiction and the recovery component of the book, and that is certainly one of the storylines in there. There's also the storyline about navigating and grieving the loss of my infant daughter, which was a part of the book that was real difficult to get through for me to write. Although it's my story and I live with them, I'm very familiar with it, writing about it in detail was challenging, and I think I was pretty authentic and honest through that. And there are people that share that unfortunate experience that have come to me and talk to me about what that meant to them to read my telling of my experience with that. And then there's the story of the really very very unlikely success of a basement metal band that should have, you know, on paper, probably never even made it out of our hometown, but was able to a lot of times, in spite of ourselves, create a really exciting and really thriving career in heavy metal music worldwide. And it's a real unlikely story and one that we still collectively get a kick out of ourselves. And I think it's a fun read that part of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, one thing that's me in the book. Because you're grown up in Williamsburg and you're gonna go to college, you're a reluctant to go to college. You go to Richmond, you feel sort of out of place, you make a friend, whatever, But not only you finish college, you end up going to graduate school in Chicago. Okay, you've been around. I've been around. That is not the common route of a heavy metal musician, of any successful musician.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a few of us out there that were sort of simultaneously pursuing education. I think when when you're playing music, particularly any kind of underground punk rock or heavy metal music, but probably just music in general. I think when you're playing music, you're always met with this voice or voices that are telling you you'll never make it. It's one in a million. Think of how many people would love to make it in music, be a rock star however you want to, you know, can't characterize that it's like hitting the lottery. And the truth is a lot of that is true, you know, So the whole time you're pursuing music, I think for me, and I think for a lot of people, because I've heard this from a lot of people too, that psychologically you're you're constantly battling this notion that you were trying to achieve the possible, or you're wasting your time, or you're deprioritizing things that you should be prioritizing. You're supposed to go get a career for yourself, so you're supposed to, you know, find some stable job and do the thing that we're all told and socialized that we need to do. And that was true for me, So I think I was always kind of spinning plates, pursuing this music thing that I'd love so dearly and as it turns out, really couldn't have ever not done, but also trying to cobble together some version of a backup plan for myself so that I could feel like I wasn't going to wind up, you know, sleeping in a car somewhere for very long anyway, and so there's a story in there as well, even during college where I or after college after I think it was after Yeah, after I dropped out of grad school, I came back home and I'm doing music, and I'm applying to the fire department because I'm just of this notion that I'm getting too old to be running around making all this noise with this band I'm doing, and I need to get a real job, and so I'm going to cut all my hair off and go get a job as a firefighter. And you know, I got sort of on the way to doing that and had this self realization of just I'm just never going to be a normal nine to five or kind of guy. And if I am, it's I'm not. I'm going to make sure it's not. Because I didn't pursue this all the way to the even though I didn't know what pursuing this meant, because for us, for Lamb of God, every step of the way seems so unlikely and so unrealistic because our music was just so extreme that it never seemed like the kind of thing to any of us that would land us on tour buses and arenas and opening from Metallica and doing all these amazing things that we've gotten to and continue to get to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're growing to graduate school when you're looking to sell out. Why a firefighter as opposed to any other career.
Speaker 2: Well, I my brother was a firefighter. He was a career firefighter, and so I was very familiar with fire service, and I thought it was a very very and I still think it is a very, very worthwhile noble cause. And everyone likes who doesn't like a firefighter?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: They're heroes, right, They run into burning buildings when everybody else is running out of them. That's the kind of guy a lot of us want to be. And I wanted to be that kind of guy too. With grad school. I was really good at school, particularly at college and grad school. I was very good at being a student, and I was pursuing political science and international relations. And it's I think that for me, And this is not a knock to people that do that. I'm sure that there are people that do go on to do very worthwhile things with that. A lot of lawyers start there and that kind of thing, and not that teaching isn't worthwhile. It's very worthwhile. But it's also one of those tracks where it's sort of it creates, it's it's it's it's self fulfilling. Right. You go through college, you go through grad school, and then you just stay in academia and you just become a professor and become a teacher. And that was sort of my thinking as well, I'm pretty good at school, so if I just keep doing school, well, eventually I'll just become school, you know. And so that was one of my backup plans. Wasn't a bad.
Speaker 1: One, Okay, not only with your degree in your post graduate work and the book, but talking to you right now, you're articulate, you're intelligent, you're educated. Generally speaking, it's a dumb business. So what's it like with a smart guy like you going on the road with all these people.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a dumb business at all, Bob. I think some of the practices within the business and some of the business model is dumb. But I find that and maybe I'm lucky. Well I'm certainly lucky. But I think one of the reasons that Lamb of God has had the success we've had is because we are all very deliberate and very intentional, even at times when we were you know, all the cliches of the drinking and the drugging. And I won't speak for anyone but myself, but I certainly, as you would know from the book, have gone off the rails on all that stuff. But even in the cloud of that stuff, there were always when when there was decisions being made, when there were business choices and pursuits that we were focused on. We really have always been very thoughtful and intentful and in large part engaged and intentional about how we are conducting this group that we have. And I don't think that's unique to us. I think at a certain level, you got to believe that, you know, somebody behind making these things successful is doing some thinking.
Speaker 1: Well, usually the business guy is the drummer, although when you're being you replace the drummer. Who's the business guy? In Lamb of God?
Speaker 2: Is the business guy? Usually the drummer that's funny, Almost always really yeah, Well, you know, they say, you know, what do you call that? A guy that hangs out with three or four other musicians drummer? Who's the business guy? I don't know. I'm one of them. I think we do everything very collectively, but sometimes there's a point man, and often on certain things I tend to be that point man, not always.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about growing up in Williamsburg. Many people on the East Coast, including myself, have been there. I've been to the Maze in Williamsburg.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, that's cool.
Speaker 1: You know, the first famous musician I think of Williamsburg is Bruce Warnsby. That is not the same kind of music you play, but in nineteen eighty six you become very successful, proving that it can be done. You're living in Williamsburg. Is there any consciousness if this guy from your area is successful?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Absolutely. When Bruce hit, it was such a pop sensation, and you know he hit from La but as a very just getting started with music that was very much on my radar. I was in seventh eighth grade. I want to say when that stuff really started hitting for him? And I don't know a lot about Bruce Hornsby's sort of trajectory to get to the point where he had a major label deal and had a hit, but I know he had hit right off of that first record. I got to see him play with the Dead. I'm a big Dead fan, and I saw the Dead in the nineties and Bruce was playing playing keyboards with him at Hampton Coliseum. So that was a real thrill for me, especially knowing too that Bruce was from He's from Williamsburg. But yeah, that did register with me. I mean by that when when Bruce was hitting, I was more of like a punk rock kind of thrash metal, just get just starting to figure out that, Wow, maybe I can play music. But that was that definitely hit on my radar for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, your father is overseas, he meets your mother who's from Germany, They get married, they grow there's a point in the book where you're talking about things are not really that good between him home life is not that good, and you're reading the book and go, oh, they're going to get divorced. But they don't get divorced. They never did, so you know, it's tough for anybody when they're one of the parents born overseas. Can he tell us more about the relationship between the two of them and what it was like growing up with one parent who was non American?
Speaker 2: Oh cool, what a fun question. Yeah. I love that you point out that they never got divorced, because that's just such a small little detail, but it's so important to me, you know, because that's my mom and my dad, and they went through really hard times and I don't think that's that's certainly not unheard of. And you stay married long enough, you're going to go through some stuff. And my mom and dad suck it out. And when my dad passed away, I think they'd been married for fifty two years, and I'm glad they stuck it out, you know, even maybe sometimes they weren't always glad, but that's just that in that how it goes, right. What was it like growing up with a mom from another country, Well, it was great. So, you know, my dad worked in a beer can factory most of his adult life. My mom worked as a bank teller, and they both worked really hard and we were very, you know, middle class family. But what was really important to them as a couple was that my mom be able to go back to Germany periodically, pretty frequently to maintain visits and touch with her family over there. She had a big family over there, and when I came along, she would take me. So some of my very earliest memories as a toddler are in Germany, and I remember the sound being just a little kid on the playground playing with kids who I didn't speak the language, really, and it didn't matter. And it's funny how kids that don't even speak the language can manage to play together for hours. It just doesn't matter. And I remember the sound of the you know, police cars and ambulances and stuff. In Germany. There's a different kind of siren over there, and I remember the sound of that. I remember the sets, the smell of my my grandfather's cigars and his car and that, and you know, those are things that anyone remembers or their earliest memories, but mine were in Germany. And other than that, I think there wasn't probably that much difference. Really. We grew up in a really kind of a small town in Southeast Virginia, and the things that I experienced culturally were very small town Southeast Virginia. But there always was this component that I knew that we were also German, and that I would hear German around the house my mom all. You know, the few German ladies that were in this town, and there were more than you would expect, they all found each other and they would get together and socialize, and so you would walk in on a Sunday afternoon to our house and see some German ladies sitting around smoking cigarettes, talking German.
Speaker 1: You know, well, as a little kid, you want to fit in the fact that your mother was German and probably had an accent. Did you think about that bringing kids to the house or when she would go to some function. Was that an issue?
Speaker 2: It was not an issue. But it's funny that you mentioned that, because I didn't know my mother had an accent until kids would point it out, or I would even after I had heard it before. I would forget and someone would say something about my mother's accent, because to me, that's just what my mom sounded like. It didn't sound like a German accent. To me, it sounded like my mother.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about your parents going through ups and downs. My parents certainly screamed and went through up and downs, but stayed together. Do you think it was just that it was your appearance or did they really go through tough times? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, they went through tough times for sure, and I don't want to air out any of their stuff, but they certainly went through some tough times.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess what I'm asking is we're the tough times that they came from different countries.
Speaker 2: Right, I never thought of it that way. I think the tough times maybe had to do with they came from different backgrounds, and I think they could have come from those different backgrounds and been from the same country, but they weren't. But they came from different backgrounds, and they had different expectations about what family meant and what their roles were in there, I think, and you know, you can see where those would be some sort of very foundational challenges, and I think and there was a lot of change, and I talk about that in the book. You know, there was my dad was getting promotions and I think they fell and you know, you'll remember from the eighties there was very much this less so I think now then, you know, there was very much this implied pressure to succeed and to get ahead, and very capitalists, very like, you know, get make more money and move into the nicer neighborhood and drive the nicer car. And I think to a degree, I don't I wouldn't characterize either of my parents have ever having been materialistic, but I think to a degree that was the culture that we were all living in at the time, and I think that there was some pressure there and I think some of those you know, I was just a little boy, but from looking back on it and sort of surveying the situation from memory, I would imagine that some of that pressure and some of that drive to like push forward and get ahead probably got in the way of what might have otherwise been some more serene times.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hammer this, but your mother's from Germany, your father's from America. Is that the difference you're talking about a more socioacono one is of a higher status than the other.
Speaker 2: No, I think they were both. They both came from relatively poorer families. It was my mom was a refugee in post World War two and my dad just grew up in the woods to very, very poor, poor parents. I think what they had in common, honestly, is that they both were running as far away as they could, as quick as fast as they could from the environments that they were in. And I think that early in is what they shared in common. But I think I just think over time they probably had different expectations from each other. But again, at the end of it all, they found a way and had a very very long, thriving marriage.
Speaker 1: Okay, you go to college. Most of the people that you grew up with stay and go to a local college. What drove you? Was there parental pressure or were they completely checked out? You were doing whatever you wanted.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: What drove me to go to Virginia Conwell University in Richmond, which was an hour from where I grew up, was that I knew that VCU in particular, and Richmond in general, I had a very very fruitful, very very energized art and music scene, and so by the time I was getting out of high school, I had already been playing in bands. In fact that I already been playing in clubs with the bands that I had put together. So what really drew me to Richmond was less. It wasn't as much anything specific about the university. It was more about where it was, and it was relatively close to home, but far enough away where I could be pretty immersed into what was going on in Richmond. It felt different, and it felt very exciting, and I wanted to be a part of that. And that would be a theme because later when I went to Chicago to go to grad school in ninety five inte ninety five, in Chicago. Chicago had this really really cool underground scene Touch and Go Records, and the Jesus Lizard was from there, and Shellac and Tortoise was just getting big, and so it was this really cool underground scene there that was happening, and for me, I just wanted to be near it because I thought being in the proximity of something that was cool and happening would increase my chances of being becoming a part of something that was cool and that was happening. So I was trying to put myself close to the epicenter of something that I thought might be you know, that I might be able to get absorbed by.
Speaker 1: But your father said he wasn't going to pay if you were studying music.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go to music school, and Vcus has a good music school, and so for me, I want to play music, I want to be enrich, and I want to go to music school. And my dad's deal was my dad had a deal for me, and he dropped out of high school. In fact, as far as I know, and I think I say this in book, I'm pretty sure I'm the first person in either side of my family to ever graduate college. And my dad's deal for me was I will pay for your school. You get a full ride from me for college because you got your you got the grades to get in, and I believe in giving you this opportunity. So I'm going to pay for you. But there are there's one rule. You will take no breaks. You will take no semesters off, you will take no years off. There's no gap year. I don't think people even use that. Turn back. Then you will start and you will go until the end and finish. If you stop, I stopped paying. I'm sorry. That's the deal. That's the deal. I want to go to VC music School and he's like, that's the other rule. I'm not paying for music school. So I went for mass communications. That's where I started. I started as a mass communications major because again that was to me, the closest thing to music. If you're studying mass colm, you might be in radio, you might be in TV. It's something to do with music. I was just my mind was just trying to connect dots.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about your father being more successful and moving and you had to go to a different school. There were opportunities there, but you'd also talk about it being traumatic to what degree. Was that a big deal for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think, you know, to say it was traumatic U is probably uh, you know, it's hard to say. Oh, the trauma of moving from the lower barely middle class neighborhood to the upper class neighborhood with the tennis courts in the swimming pool. Oh the trauma. You know, it wasn't traumatic. It was you know, there was a component of it to me, to us that felt a little bit Beverly Hillbillies a little It felt a bit like we were this family that moved from the edge of the woods with our you know, our dirt bikes and our old cars and stuff, and we moved into the nicer neighborhood and there was a little bit like these kids were like who are you? Like, what are you doing here? Kind of thing that that was traumatic. I think it was more of a learning curve for me. But I think really more than that, I think I was just kind of a shy and an awkward kid, and that combined with being put into a new neighborhood. These are sort of universal things. You take any shy, awkward kid and you move them, you know, down the road to a different school and a different neighborhood and it's it's gonna be tough, just kind of life being doing what life does. But I took those things real hard because of just who I was and my inability to really have tough skin at the time. And all of that stuff wound up feeding into why music and why playing guitar was so important to me so vital, because it gave me something. Once that guitar got in my hand, it gave me a way to make none of that stuff matter. I happened to be really good at guitar really quick, and I could recognize that, and it also made me feel complete in a way that nothing else had. I had tried skateboarding with the neighborhood kids, I had tried, you know, joining the sports teams. I wasn't good at any of that stuff. But as soon as a guitar fell into my hand, like that made sense to me, and I was really able to navigate that and make sense of it very quickly, and it made me feel a part of something, and I just didn't want to let it go. So I think all of that anxiety and all that social awkwardness set the scene for me to really be relieved and be completed if you will by music.
Speaker 1: It's in the book, But tell my audience how you end up playing the guitar.
Speaker 2: I ended up playing guitar because my dad wouldn't let me get a drum set. We had. I talked about it in the book. So this is the early eighties, the early into the mid eighties where MTVS had been around for a minute, but it didn't make it to us right away. So it made it to it made it to you know, Southeast Virginia, and like every other kid in America, I was glued to MTV. Latchkey, kid, come home from school. You're not gonna see your parents for three hours, and you're just sitting there watching MTV, which was great. And so I'm watching all this music in a way that I'd never seen it before. And I wanted to play drums. And you know, my parents, I described it in the book. They were always very, very supportive of me and things I wanted to do. I really had a great childhood, and I wanted to play music and asked for a drum set, and my dad, very wisely, I'm not getting a drum set was too loud. He knew enough about music to know you can't turn a drum set down. So my second choice was guitar, so we got the back. Then they had this thing called the Trading Post, which was a newspaper full of you know, ads of people selling secondhand stuff, and we found a guitar in there about a half hour away for fifteen dollars and that was my very first guitar.
Speaker 1: I can tell us about your brother buying or you a left pool.
Speaker 2: Junior, my brother did. My brother was very supportive of music as well. I think he's he such a music fan. He was excited to see me getting involved. And again, I was just pretty naturally good at guitar, so it was pretty clear early on that I was making sense of it pretty quickly, and I think that excited him and he bought me my first less Paul. He used to take me to music stores in a couple of towns over where they had malls and they had shopping districts, and there would be music stores and we would just go on a Friday night just to hang out there, and I would just walk the walls and stare at these incredible guitars, which at the time looked to me like otherworldly. Just to be in the presence of a Gibson left Paul. Was such a thrill for me at twelve and thirteen years old, just to be in the room with one. I haven't even put it that way until I'm talking to you, but it's really how it was to be in the room with the Gibson less Paul let alone get one in my hands. And after we start going there for a while, we got to know the guys that were running the shop, and they heard me play and they realized that this kid can kind of play, you know, so they started handing me really cool stuff. So I got to play less Paul's and I got to play real strats, and I got to play Charvel's, which were like super cool modern guitars of the day, and I could play them. So I would be this little kid, and I looked even younger than I was at the time, so I would just eyes closed playing Randy Rhodes rifts, and I would, you know, look over my shoulder, and there were three, four or five people standing around watching me play because I was pretty good, and I looked I was thirteen, looked eleven, and they're like, wow, look at this could go, you know, So my brother was really supportive about that, and I think he enjoyed those trips and I really did. And on the way to and from, you know, those hour long drives, we would listen to music. And my brother had really, really good taste in music, and he was significantly older than me. So that was a real advantage for me because I was hearing toys in the attic. I'm twelve years old, thirteen years old. I wasn't the only twelve thirteen year old hearing that, but I was. I don't know that I would have otherwise, you know. So I was hearing these cool like Leonard Scanner's CCR. All this cool stuff that he was into was just absorbing into my brain. And those were those were really really great memories and really great trips, and I got to play some really cool guitars at an early age.
Speaker 1: Do you still have that Leshpool Junior?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, so that's really how we got to this. So a Christmas or two and after that, he, unbeknownst to me, had put a deposit down on a les Paul Junior. I absolutely still have that less Paul Junior.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not getting rid of that.
Speaker 1: Are you a gear guy? Use somebody with one hundred guitars twenty am so youse someone that's not your thing as only as you have one.
Speaker 2: So I think I'm a little bit in the middle. I have a pretty cool vintage guitar collection these days. I have some cool old stuff, not a ton of it. I have also, Bob, you know, we tour a lot. Lad with God tours a lot, so I have a touring gear. We play in three different tunings and need a backup, so I pretty much need six guitars to do a show without fear of, you know, a hiccup. So there's the touring gear. So I probably have twenty thirty guitars that we use between the europe rig and the US rig and the fly rig, and those are all very very nice guitars, and I love them all, and I curate that collection of live guitars right. But then I have the guitars I have here at home, which are a couple that would make it into that pile. But I have also a vintage collection of I don't know six eight guitars that are old and very collectible but super great examples of what they are, and those are those I'm really fond of those, and they're very inspirational when I play this. So I'm not a crazy like need a need a separate, need to rent a warehouse for all my gear kind of guy. But I do have some cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're taking lessons to what degree? Can you read music? Or could read music? Back then?
Speaker 2: Very little and maybe better than than I do now, because then I was closer to having teachers. You know. I took some lessons and they would try to teach me some just basic site reading, and you know, for a minute, I could do that stuff, but I really found it for what I wanted to do on the instrument to be all not all that important. It's funny. I recently did a session with with Tim Leffay who play Tadashi Trucks, and he played based on Bowie's Blackstar record. He's all over that record and I did a session with him and he comes in with these charts he charted out the teens were doing and he handed me a chart. I was like, I don't know what to do with this. I was like, I just had to listen to the tunes and know them, you know what I mean. And we had a chuckle about that. But so yeah, I don't read music very well at all. In fact, I frankly don't read music at all. But I have a really good year, and I think that there's no unless you want to be just a higher on session player, which is great. That's the world needs those, and there's some amazing ones those guys need to read. But I've been fortunate enough where most of the stuff I do is just writing, or most of it's doing my own stuff anyway. So a couple of times I've had guys chart out stuff because they're doing sessions with me, but I'll have to take word for that that's what the chart is, because I can't call them out and tell them it's wrong.
Speaker 1: One of the themes in the book is you're weep, talk about sit in front of the TV eating junk food, talk about ultimately losing the weight, but always thinking about the weight.
Speaker 2: Tell us about that, Yeah, you know, it's a chubby kid, and just felt really self conscious about that always. And I think, like most chubby kids, I got teased a little bit for being chubby kid. And that's no fun for any chubby kid. Other kids get teased for other things. It's it's not this unthinkable, unimaginable trauma again. But for me, it just stuck. For whatever reason, I just didn't want to be the fat kid. And I've at some point I think I just hit a little gross burt and I just decided not to eat very much and I got skinny, and you know, became the thin kid with the Les Paul and the Rockberry rock and roll, and that worked for a long time. But it's still all my life. I just always still have what I call that fat kid mentality. And you know, as I've gotten older, you know, I still struggle to not have extra weight on. But it's always, uh, it's always it always takes me back to that mentality, that fat kid mentality, that feeling like, you know, the the ashamed of oneself and one's and having this sort of I guess over can I don't know, it's over concerned, but just sort of being a self obsessed with weight and with my body image and that kind of thing. I think I think that's pretty normal stuff. I don't think a lot of men talk about that, but it was part of the story, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, you start off playing classic rock, how do you end up getting into metal? And then the kind of metal Limb of God plays well.
Speaker 2: I started out playing whatever I could play, and it was a blend of classic rock and there was some sex pistols and ramones kind of thing going on in there. And you know, the beauty of punk rock is that it has a great energy and it's often not very difficult to play, not always, but often, so that's a great place for a young guitar player to start. And then the same thing can be said for ac DC. I mean that is some of the most classic hard rock that exists, and it stands the test of time. But a lot of take the you know, the solos out, a lot of like Malcolm's parts, you know Angus' stuff. He's a shredder to a kind of a blues like he's very very fluent blues player. But Malcolm's parts are pretty simple to play. It's just great songwriting. So there's there's all these examples of great bands and great kind of timeless hard rock music that's really relatively simple to play. The Cult is the same way. I think I think I mentioned that in the book. The Cult Electric is like one of the first records I could play, you know, from song one all the way to the end and just play along to it. So I just started playing along to what I could play, and then as my tastes evolved, I got more and my skill set evolved. I got into meggot Eth and Metallica because I was an eighth ninth tenth grade kid, and that's what eighth nineteenth grade kids listened to, you know. And but for me, my ability was growing and in a way that I could start to match that playing as well. So it was just all kind of fueling each other. As I became able to be more fluent on the instrument and was getting into music that was more technical, those two things kind of it created the synergy which really carried me to thrash metal, which it can be very technically proficient, technically demanding music, but also has this cool kind of dark and high energy, powerful thing that was really vital for me as a teenage guitar player. Teenage kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have a long story about a battle of the bands, which is certainly more serious than the battles of the band that I grew up with that you had to basically qualify. Then there was a different school. You won once, then you were with a different band. You thought they were better and you didn't win, but you still knew you were best. What was that experience like? And what music were you playing? In the battles of the band?
Speaker 2: That battle of the band, we asked what the experience is like? It was the pinnacle for me and my vision of where we existed in this small town world of music. To play and to win Stockwood it was called you didn't get much better in Williamsburg, Virginia if you were a rock band. You know, that was that was the heights. So it was a big deal. I couldn't wait to do that every year, and we did it for a number of years. What kind of music we were playing? We were playing both. You know, you talk about two different bands, and they weren't all that dissimilar. One was but a little better than the other one. But we were playing a blend of sort of older heavy metal Black Sabbath and we played the first band. We played Hand of Doune by Black Sabbath, and we played Crazy Train and I think we did some like the Motley Crue version of smoking in the Boys Room and that kind of stuff. I think we did an our main song. And then the second band, which was sort of a spin off of the first one was doing similar stuff but a little more, a little more thrashboid and I think Megadeth and Metallica and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know you're in your first band, guys, graduate, they moved way before we go to college. There's another incarnation of one of these bands, and ultimately you're left out. Okay, the band is formed. You know that could be heartbreaking. You sort of pass over it there. Well, there really wasn't a place for me. What was he experienced like when it actually happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was devastated. You're you're talking about this now I'm in college and in the book, I sort of, as you're doing, I string together this this story of these different bands that I was, you know, bouncing from one and forming another and doing this, and one of them turned into this very kind of noise. By now we're in the nineties and the metal thing, the head bangers ball era kind of metal thing is falling out of favor, and now it's all about underground and grunge and punk, and so there was this and I followed right along through all that stuff, and it was really interesting for me to look back on because I knew I did I didn't know, but I sort of intuitively unlearned a lot of what I had learned. You know, you and I were just talking about the technical aspect of metal and that's where I came from. But by the time I got to Richmond and the culture around rock music was changing, and you know, with grunge and Nirvana and the success of bands like Fugazi and Sonic Youth and that kind of stuff that was it was very noisy and not frankly as technical or often as musical, but it had this passion and this energy that was just really attractive about it. So for me as a player, I almost unlearned a lot of what I had learned how to do in that metal stuff. So here we find ourselves now in the early nineties, and me and my friends are putting this band together and it's this very feedback e noise, scapy, sonic youth y kind of thing. And despite my efforts to unlearn my uh you know, technical goal approach to as a player, I'm not the most technical player, but in that room, I was the most technical player, and it, uh, you know, it just didn't work out. I think I was making it sound a little too clean, So I was left out. And they went on to do some and these are every one of those guys are still a really good friend of mine. But they went on to do some really cool stuff in that time and did some touring and did some made a lot of noise literally and figuratively in that scene, and I was left out. And that was That was tough for me to take because even outside of music, I had to learn a life lesson, which was you have to root for your friends, even when they're doing what you wish you were doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot of ignorance in the North about the South, not as much as there used to be. People, you know, think of the South. They think in Nashville. Richmond the way you painted in the book, it was like an epicenter of punk music. Tell us about Richmond at that time. In Richmond today, I'm.
Speaker 2: Happy to I have so much love for this city. I'm still here a little ways outside, I'm back in the woods, but I'm still I'm still a stones throat from Richmond, and I intend to stay that way. I love I love our city, I love our music scene. As I told you, earlier there because VCU has such a strong art school, it attracts people from the region creative minds, and you know, it attracts artists, it attracts musicians, sculptors, theater people all sort of flock to Richmond because of VCU, And you know, I was a part of that during that time. So Richmond had this interesting thing in the nineties where you know, and in the nineties it wasn't unique just to Richmond, but in the nineties, different cities had different sounds. So and back then, and you'll remember this Bob. Back then, you could say a band sounded like they were from Minneapolis, or they sounded like they were from Austin, or they sounded like they were from New York, or they sounded like they were from Chicago. And you would almost ask, as a music fan, or as someone that was into particularly underground music, you would hey, have you heard so and so? No, where are they from? And that I still do that. I'll be like, where are they from? And it sort of matters less now, but it's just kind of intuitive question because where they're from could give you an idea what they might be doing. You know, So Richmond's personality in that sense was pretty unique in that there was a real angular kind of off time approached, a lot of just odd time signatures, a lot of instrumental bands, a lot of like influence from bands like Wire, you know, the UK band, this real sort of brittle, abrasive kind of thing that wasn't quite punk rock, but it was real raw and real stripped down. And Richmond would blend that with sort of this sort of pseudo psychedelic component and it was just a real artsy and real abrasive version of underground punk and hard rock, and that in time sort of evolved and blended with some metal bands, so it created bands like Breadwinner, who is a sort of underground legendary instrumental band from Richmond, put out a record on Merge Records, and that was just absolutely, like so important to me. Everything on that record there wouldn't have There was barely a vocal on the record in it. I would just listen to it like like like someone who listened to their favor pop song that would just listen to it over and over, and the grooves the way there were grooves, but that weren't straight grooves. It would sound like you know, it sort of to me sonically, like if you rolled an egg down a hill, it had just like this this like very it was had this very loping quality, but it was consistent, consistently stretched out and consistently off. Or if you did the same thing and just and like pushed a box, it would like it rolls and then it stops, and then it rolls and it stops, and it's very you know, predictable. But at the same time, off time, there's another band called slang Lous that did the same thing but then blended that approach with this sort of dark, kind of theatrical vocal element that wasn't really metal, but it was really dark and really kind of obscure but strangely intellectual lyrics, sort of poetry dark poetry lyrics. And these were just local bands, and these were the bands that me and my friends wanted to be. Like we loved the Melvins, we loved Slayer, but we really wanted to be like slang Laws, who were just down the street and probably playing a party on Friday night or at the small bar on Saturday night. And you know, so it became this very It was insular in the sense is that all the bands influenced each other more than outside bands influenced us. And Lamb of God started as a band called burn the Priest and we were an instrumental band when we were Burned the Priest, and then we added a singer and then eventually changed the name the Lamb of God. But what Burned the Priest started out as was trying to be a little more extreme version of Breadwinner or slang laws.
Speaker 1: What was the dream you know in the area you're talking about before they run DGC and Nirvana was independent You mentioned Merge, etc. In the nineties, even though on MTV goes more hip hop, there's a whole burgeoning independent rock scene. So did everybody say we're just doing what we're doing, or they say, I want to go to LA, I want to get a major label deal, I want to conquer the world. What was the mindset well for us.
Speaker 2: Burn the Preeze and not only.
Speaker 1: You, but the other rack you talk about, Red Winter. There's a whole scene in Richmond. Was everybody happy where they were or did people have a desire to be nationwide?
Speaker 2: I think in that time from what I could tell in the circles that I was in in the circles I was playing in. The dream was to get in a van and to go play shows to thirty forty people in a basement or maybe in a bar, and then do that for a month, and if you came home with a couple hundred bucks, that was you were a rock star. You know. I think the dream in a lot of those scenes was just it was this beautiful, mindful approach to creating music that was just to do it because it felt urgent, and it felt authentic, and it felt natural to do that. There's I'm sure still people that that. I mean, that's what art is, right. I really think any form of art is really that at its core, if it's really art, And and so I think that still happens all the time, you know. And I don't know that we're going to get into this structured position of what the music world is like now versus what it was like in the mid nineties, but that that was the dream for us for sure.
Speaker 1: So how hard was it to leave Richmond in your music advance there and go to.
Speaker 2: Chicago, Well, it was it was difficult. That the timeframes in terms of what you and I are talking about are darting around a little bit. When I left Richmond to go to Chicago, Burn the Priest had started, but we weren't really doing a whole lot, and I could tell it was really cool, but I just had bigger sights on wanting to get into a bigger city and have a bigger kind of pool of people to pick from to play with. When I went up there. For a couple of years, I've never really got much going on up there, and Burn the Priest was still kind of bubbling here and starting to drop people and starting to go up to Philly and play shows, and I really wanted to be a part of it, so I came back. But leaving Richmond it was a weird thing because it was it was a lesson for me in terms of, like, you don't really know what you got until it's gone. Because I while I can sit here and talk about how essential and awesome Richmond was and it was all these things, I knew it was great to me. If I went somewhere bigger and somewhere more I don't know, big city, more more happening, then it was gonna be even better. And what I learned was bigger isn't necessarily better, And maybe what we had going on here was cooler.
Speaker 1: I think it was, Okay, when you leave Chicago to go back to Richmond, how much of it is you've burned out on Chicago, burned out on graduate school, and how much of it is I gotta go back and play with burn the Priests.
Speaker 2: It was one hundred percent of one and one hundred percent of other of the other. I think I would have gone back to Richmond if Burned the Priests weren't even there. I was just ready to come back to Richmond and go home. But I was also just dying to get back with those guys, because I just I the whole time I was in Chicago, I was kind of mourning leaving that because it felt so fulfilling, the only be with a group of guys that I just could felt like I could do no wrong with. And just as soon as that came together, I had already had plans to split, and so I was just following through with what I had been planning on doing. Anyway, So I think I think there was no angle that had me staying in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Okay, you say you go back to Richmond, the band welcomes you with open arms. My experience in life is usually not that way you leave, they continue without you, if they lay you back at all, there are a number of hurdles, So tell me about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it speaks to just how natural it was and how correct my part of that equation fit. There was a new guitar player that had come in, and so that was a little bit of a hurdle because he's like, wait, who's this guy that I don't really even know coming back to reach this band that I've never been in a band with him with? But we hung out for a day or two and it had a completely had a great understanding, and he's he's still a friend. I've talked to him recently, and they had had They had had Randy, our singer, join and Randy and I knew of each other. We weren't really friends, but Randy, Randy and I talk about this. I talk about this in the book too. Randy had this. He was a punk rocker. He didn't have anything to do with the metal at all. He was a punk rocker in a metal band, and he had this understanding of all right, well, if you're in our band now, then you're in our band, and it's right or die, And that was just the way he worked. I think he might have been like that with anybody. It certainly given him that chance, but it was just he was of the mindset of like, okay, well then then then we're part of the same tribe. Let's go, let's I'm all in okay for years.
Speaker 1: You go back to Richmond, he dropped out of graduate school. But you're working as a roofer, your work in construction, while you're playing music, and you're getting older. Is there any part of you that says, shit, you know, I should have a career, I should have something more serious than this.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is, And you know you and I were touching on this earlier. There's all the while this component. Now I'm in my mid twenties, approaching the later twenties, people I know are starting to have kids and get married, and I'm riding around in a vand playing just kind of screamy heavy metal, punk rock hybrid, playing warehouses in Philly. So there is this voice in the back of my head saying, you know, you need to get serious about something. You need to you need to get your ack together, you need to grow up. And again, you know I talked about the firefighter situation, that's there's a cut all my hair off and when applied with the fire department. But pretty quickly into that process, just came to this conclusion, this this self knowledge of It's just I'm never gonna be happy unless I'm just playing guitar. So I guess I'm just gonna be the broke guitar player guy forever. And I found acceptance around that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the band is offered a deal from these guys who work for Middle Blade with a new label. You know, conventionally people say, oh I'm signed, We're on the way, We're on the road. What was going through your head? And the band said when that came.
Speaker 2: Together, oh well yeah. So the deal with Prosthetic Records was such a small deal. It wasn't like the movie deal where you know, we got it, we finally made it, we got a big record deal. It wasn't that at all. These These were guys that were gonna give us a couple thousand bucks made to go put together a recording. And then they then they had the resources and the connections and the inroads with which to release that recording and hire a publicist for it. And so they were completely honest and realistic about their presentation with that, which is, you know, no one's quitting a job. We're just going to get this record in reviewed in magazines and it's going to get in some stores, and it's going to get it's you know, we're going to help you get noticed. And that's what they did and it was a great relationship, and then we went on to do a second record with them as the Palaces burned, and based on the reaction that the first record got, we had a little bit more money to work with, and we had, you know, more resources available to us, and we made some videos that were a couple of them. Want in particular was really cool, and it just all lined up with the way MTV was promoting heavy metal at the time and the platform they had re established with Headbanger. All of these things sort of syncd up for us time wise, and we made the right video for the right song at the right time, and got it on the right platform and had the right people behind it. That really got us noticed, and that ultimately is what sort of blew the band up to the point where we started getting looked at by major labels.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about going to Massachusetts to cut this record first record. In the second record too, there's a lot of talk about the travel, the bands, etc. I read that and I say, it's so fucking dangerous. People aren't wearing seatbelts, things aren't maintained, You got ball tires. Were you thinking about that at all? And were there any bad experiences?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I don't think we were thinking about that much at all. I think we knew that if, you know, somebody fell asleep driving and this thing flipped over, that was gonna be the end of it, you know. But I just don't think we worried about that kind of thing. I think there was a real, just a real kind of caution to the wind kind of thing. And what was the second party? Oh? Were there any instance? Yeah, there was little stuff. One time the steering went out while we were going off an exit ramp fortunately there because we were slowing down and the van didn't turn and went straight. We had to get that fixed. And one time we were leaving for a trip up north somewhere, and for whatever reason, there were only two or three lug nuts on the rear wheel of our van, and I remember noticing that and tightening up and they were loose, and I remember thinking a three is probably just as good as five. And on that trip on the way home, the wheel came off the van that was that was a scary one, you know, but fortunately it didn't flip over or anything like that. So yeah, there was little stuff. I think we just got really lucky and honestly, a lot of the time, I mean, there was a lot of drinking going on, and we didn't exactly pay much attention to designated drivers. I don't say that proudly. I think it's just how it was.
Speaker 1: Okay. In the book, you're surprised if the acceptance of the music once you make recordings. Why do you think people embraced it?
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a number of reasons why the music reacted like it did. I think so much of all of this story is timing. I think maybe if someone had made similar records to the records we made five years earlier or five years later, they may not have mattered the same way that those records mattered to our experience. I think there was just a moment where this thing that we were a part of accidentally was connecting with different scenes and different groups of of hardcore kids and metal kids and punk rock kids. It was all sort of connecting at that point in time. And as I said earlier, I think there were platforms popping up that were supporting that. There's a thing called Much Music at the time that was like a video platform, and there was MTV Two was MTV's rebrand where they were instead of where MTV was playing all this reality show stuff on their big corporate channel they had, they had a second channel that was more music oriented, and they were really giving a lot of attension to underground bands. And so there was this whole just connection going on between the independent scenes and the bands that were starting to pop up, and the platforms that were made available to us, and it all synced up. And I think it's the kind of thing like if we were out in the water on our board when the wave came, if we had been on the beach complaining that there aren't any waves, we wouldn't have caught the wave, if you know what I mean. If we came the next day with our board and there were no waves, we wouldn't. It was just the right time and it was there and we were doing the right thing, and we that was the luck part and it's still luck. In my mind, it's still good fortune. But the thing about us is we have always been very, very genuine. We weren't doing something trying to catch a trend. We were just being ourselves. And there is something about this group of guys that is some often to a fault, just so genuine, warts and all, and we were just being We were there. This band has always been very real, and we were very real back then, and I think that was pretty undeniable that anyone that might happen to pay attention, And I think that was intriguing jumping all the way forward.
Speaker 1: There is no MTV of any note at this point in time. There are a million different outlets. To what degree is your career's lamb of God hurt by the fact that we live in this modern world where there are a million options and hard to flow to the top of the pile. In areas where people were unaware of you might become aware of you today.
Speaker 2: You mean, yeah, yeah, I don't think it's hurt at all. I think I think it would be really really challenging from my mind to navigate today's landscape escape as a new young, emerging artist, a new ambitious band trying to figure out how to get hurd or how to get seen, or how to make the right noise in a world full of all these options. I wouldn't know how to do that today. But I think because Lamb of God came from the time that we came from and we are, we built this into what we are now. The band's bigger now than it's ever been, and so I don't know that any of it hurts us. I mean, we play huge shows, we get these great festival opportunities, and we play you know, small sheds on our own and arenas and that, and so I don't know. Again, it's sort of that theme. I can never imagine it getting any bigger than it is, and I felt that way the whole time through so you know, here at you know, and I turned fifty two yesterday and the band, thank you, and the band's still going strong. So I don't I can't really say we're hurt by anything. I'm just ecstatic and thrilled and grateful that people still care to listen because we sure we still have a great time making this music. For sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, you make a couple of independent records, Epic comes calling a did you have any trepidation signing with Epic, or you say we're in the big League's b you say in the book, you're just doing your usual thing, and Epic is pushing and pushing for a record, and your normal process is to collect riffs and other ideas over a year and then this time you have to do it in shorter. I thought you were setting it up for like, well, it wouldn't be successful. It's a classic second album syndrome, But in this case it was so tell me about signing with the major label men making that record.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's coming off the experience of that second record called As the Palace Has Burned that we did with the Prosthetic Records. We made the right video for the right song, We got the right attention, and it caught people's eyes at the next level, at the major label level, and they signed us. And they told us when they signed us, Kaz, the legendary A and R guy Caz came down and with Scott Greer, who is you know, working in conjunction with him at the time, and they came down and said, listen, we don't want to change anything about who you guys are. That's why we're signing you think you guys are the best example of this scene that's blowing up right now, that we just want to be part of it and we want you to be our engagement with that world. And they have proven true to that word because we're still on Epic records, and that was twenty years ago, more than twenty years ago. So but for me at the time, and I think for us collectively, we felt like a major label us, Okay, sure, let's do it. Let's make sure we do the right one, because there were several that came or that were sniffing around, and as I recall, Epic wasn't the they didn't have the biggest offer financially. As I recall, I remember there being another option that was for more money. But they didn't have that conversation that I just told you about. They didn't they didn't say we don't want to change anything. We think you guys are great, We just want to we just want to be a part of it. And that resonated with us, and again talking about sort of intention and deliberate things, and some of it's luck, but we believe that, and I think us paying attention and kind of tuning into that part of their presentation wind up being really a good move because we're still here, We're still on Epic Records. So but for us at the time, we were like, Okay, cool, we'll sign with your label, and that means we probably don't have to have a job for at least a year and a half two years until we get dropped. And that was the way we thought about it. We were just sure we were going to make a record for him and get dropped. But for me, meant I probably wouldn't have to be on a roof for at least a year, and that sounded like a great deal to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, couldn't Eventionally, BAM's complained the label is telling us what to do, and there's pressure. What's your experience bit.
Speaker 2: I don't remember ever hearing pressure to change anything about anything musically at all. I just remember, and I don't tell this story in the book, and I won't say the gentleman's name, but there was a record executive that came down early in and we were going to play him some new material and he was all jazzed up about, you know, we're gonna do this, and we've got this number for a budget for your first video, and we played him a couple songs and then on his way out, that sounds great, guys, we're gonna get right going. Don't forget we've got this number for your next video. And it was half that he had cut the budget between the time he'd walked in the room at the time he walked out. But I understood, you know, this is a hard sell. You know, this was really really extreme music for the time, especially We're we're you know, we're not so extreme anymore because things just continue to get heavier and heavier and more abrasive. But at the time for a major label band, we were we were really really heavy, really you know, verging on you know, to conventional ears unlistenable, right, So I understood that. I thought it was really funny. But to that point, no one ever ever said, hey, you guys, think maybe you want to sing a little more on this thing, or maybe we can we can shine this up a little bit. They really didn't. They really didn't. They let us be us and they and they still do. And I think that I hear all the horror stories and the complaints about major labels, and I don't discount any of them It's just not been my experience with Epic. We've just had such a great relationship with that label and had such a good run with them that fortunately for us, we've always always been really happy with our situation.
Speaker 1: Any pressure to be the deadline.
Speaker 2: Oh none. That I recall only that first record, only that first record, because and that was pressure just by nature of the situation. We had very recently released the as the Palaces Burn record, and then Epic signed us kind of right off the heels of that because it was it was popping. So when Epic signs you, when a major label signs you from from an independent label, they don't really care about you cycling out that record you just put put out and you going on tour for a year and a half to promote a record that is not theirs. You know, to hell with that record. We want our record. Now you're with us, Now, let's let's hear some music, you know. So in that sense, I felt a lot of pressure just to kind of catch up with the situation that we had just entered into the relationship we had just entered into creatively, I had to catch up and be ready to give the music. And I had really just kind of squeezed myself out musically, me and the guys I'm write with, we felt kind of purged, and then all of a sudden, You've got to make the most important record of your life at the time, and frankly, probably still was the most important record in my life, although I don't think of it that way until now, but you know, it was a very very pivotal record in your career. And certainly at the time it wasn't lost on me that I was like, well, I gotta make a hell of a record. This is my first major label record, and I don't have anything. I don't have anything, So in that sense that there was pressure, but it wasn't someone saying, hey, guys, you're late. It wasn't that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay. Throughout the book there's a theme of addiction. Hey you're a middle class guy, be your intelligence. See you're educated. D It's a cliche. Wasn't there part of you saying, wait a second, what am I doing here?
Speaker 2: The thing about addiction and alcoholism, Bob, if it was a matter of intelligence, or if it was a matter of morality, it would be it would be eradicated. Some of the most intelligent thoughtful, kindest, most creative, most exceptional people I know have been drug addicts and alcoholics, and I think it can sometimes be mischaracterized as a lapse in judgment, or elapse in planning, or ellapse in consideration. And in my personal experience and the vast experience I've had with other addicts and alcoholics, none of those things are factors.
Speaker 1: Well, looking back at your not brief period with drugs and alcohol, what flip the switch? Let me just give a couple of concepts. I mean, for me, if you you're in a band, and you're a successful band, you go and you play the thousands, they go home, you're on the bus, It's impossible to calm down, it's impossible to sleep. You got to get up and do again. What were the driving forces of your addiction?
Speaker 2: I believe that I would have been an addict alcoholic if I had been a roofer, if I had been a political science professor, or if I had been a rock star, if you will, I believe that drugs and alcohol react with my chemistry and my emotional and psychological makeup in a way that has a very very soothing and calming effect, in a way that is different than how it might react with you physiologically, which in my opinion, hijacks my reward system or my sense of wellness. And I'm not a doctor. I'm not an addictionologist, if that's actually a thing, or I'm not a therapist. I'm not any of those things. But I am an addict in recovery, and so I have lived a life before drugs and alcohol. I have lived a life extensively ruled by drugs and alcohol, and I have a life now that doesn't include them. And based on that experience, it's my understanding and my belief that the relief and the sense of security that the addict feels when they're exposed to their drug of choice is something that is so compelling and so necessary for their kind of mental state that uh, it can't be out intellectualized.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's to the degree you can. Can you separate your addiction from alcohol to your addiction primarily to opiates. Were they two separate things? Was essentially the same thing? Did one lead to another? What can you.
Speaker 2: Tell us as it's as far as I believe, the only difference between an addiction to alcohol and an addiction to opiates is it's the same as you like Thai food and I like Indian food. It's addiction is addiction and alcohol is a drug. There is a difference in the sense that one is legal and the other is not, except under specific circumstances. But I don't think the legal status of a particular substance and really governs many people's attraction to one versus the other. I don't think that is a very guiding premise when it comes to one's engagement with alcohol or drugs. For me personally, as you asked, I think I drank alcoholically for a very long time, and I think I was what we sort of colloquially refer to as a high functioning alcoholic. I drank every day, and I drank heavily, but it did not impact my daily routines and my relationships to the degree that my opiate use eventually did. It certainly impacted those things, but not to the degree and not with the same dire and consequences with the same expedients that my opiate.
Speaker 1: Eustd Okay, you a couple of times in the book you say you talk about the drugs and addiction being equal, but you really do not enjoy cocaine.
Speaker 2: For a guy that hates it, I sure did enough of it.
Speaker 1: Well, that didn't come across of the book, and the book it sounded like you did it rarely. So what was your problem with cocaine?
Speaker 2: I just don't really like the buzz man. It turns it's instant asshole powder. I've never met anyone that was more fun to be around when they're doing cocaine, unless I was doing it and they had some.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you're taking opiates, you're kind of checking out and you're kind of removed alcohol. You know, it can make you more of a party person, make you more verbal, make you more of a fighter. But did you find the the effects of opiates? What was it like being the person taking the opiates?
Speaker 2: For me, it would early in. I mean, there's there is a so there's a curve to this stuff. You know, at first it works, and then for a while it works, and then it stops working, and you wonder why it's not working the same anymore. So you do more, or you do different versions of it, or you administer it in different ways, trying to find a reason why it's not doing what it used to do. As it turns out, that's just how addiction works. But when you're in it, you don't realize that, so you're chasing it. The question is how did opiates make me feel? And I think what you're getting at is why in particular was I drawn to that type of drug. For me, it created early on a sense of well being and it's a cure for anxiety that I tend to carry with me through my day to day life. And you know I've said before and this is by new means trying to promote or glamorize anything, but to me, for me, at least not to me, but for me, ope, it's were the best anxiety medicine I'd ever come across, far better than alcohol or anything else. So when I became exposed to that in a recreational sense, I realized that, without really getting too detailed in my analysis of it, I just knew that that made me feel very, very okay, and I liked that feeling. I wasn't worried about much of anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, anxiety, I would assume. You know, if you're clean now, anxiety is popping up all the time. When do you encounter anxiety? How do you cope with it without drugs?
Speaker 2: Well? I still certainly experience anxiety. I think I don't really know how to answer that, Bob, except to say, you.
Speaker 1: Know, let me ask a different way.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you take Xanax.
Speaker 1: Or out of van or any other anti anxiety medications?
Speaker 2: No? I don't take any mood or mine altering drugs. Oh, okay, don't. I don't take niqlo when I have the flu.
Speaker 1: Okay. So let's just assume I say, hey, Mark, tomorrow, we're gonna go to the airport, not private, we're flying commercial, and then we got to be here by this time. Is your anxiety starting to rise?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is? It is it? Actually it is. But don't you think these are life on life's terms kind of things? I mean that this is, you know, I think I have been able, through a process of recovery to put myself in a state of kind of mindfulness and acceptance of the terms of my life on any given day, which is a very good life, by the way. And more than anything, I have learned that at whatever anxiety I might be feeling or confronted with at any given time, or whatever self doubt or self loathing, or all of these things that were for a time treated successfully by drugs and alcohol and then later treated entirely unsuccessfully by them. What I have learned is that whatever I'm experiencing is temporary and is never worth going back to the way I was living, because I live under the assumption that if I use drugs or alcohol at all of any kind, then I will in short time be where I was at the end of my run, and that is a place I never care to be again.
Speaker 1: So your philosophy is it self created or is that a result of therapy? You're a twelve step program.
Speaker 2: I certainly work a recovery program, and I've also have a good therapist, and I've also done a lot of thinking about this myself and have a lot of experience in it.
Speaker 1: Okay, a lot of times, you know, you're talking about things, especially guys, they don't talk about it. But a lot of people with anxiety issues deal with this via avoidance. Okay, But in your case, you can say, hey, it's gonna upset me, it's gonna make me buzz, but I can go forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think knowing the depth that I have dug to in my life trying to hide and escape and make myself disappear, you know, you just wind up in a room by yourself, angry, doing drugs alone. I don't want to live like that anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, you detail that you have a girlfriend in New York working in the music business. Ultimately you marry someone in Richmond. You have the unfortunate experience of the first child not continuing to live, but you have the second child, and then the woman you're married to moves out. There's not a lot of discussion about that. Later in the book, you say, well, she wasn't the right one. Was she not the right one and you didn't marry the right one? Or was it drugs? What was going on in that first relationship.
Speaker 2: I don't really think it's fair too tell other people's part of this story that aren't necessarily involved in the storytelling. So there's some components of along the way that I left out or that I glossed over, and that was deliberate.
Speaker 1: Okay, you ultimately meet another woman. She's a bartender and she's a big drinker. This isn't a red flag.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you're asking a guy that's throwing red flags everywhere he walks to have a red flag.
Speaker 2: Right at that point in time, I was a red flag. I was a blinking red neon sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the way the book is written, which of course written words and emotions are two different things. You know, you kind of say that this person was testing the limits, and okay, you're overseas and she starts to recover. To what degree was her decision to recover impactful on you? Would you have recovered at that point in time if you were not involved with her and she had not start did recovery?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a great question, all of that question. I think when I met that person, the fact that she didn't do hard drugs was you know, you characterize her heavy drinking as a red flag. To me, the fact that she didn't do hard drugs, which is contrary to my philosophy that I that I pointed out to you earlier, which is true. What I truly believe that alcohol is a drug like any other. But at the time I was engaging in this sort of cultural you know, mischaracterization as alcohol as being the lesser of evils, right, So I was I was subscribing to that notion, and to me, the fact that she didn't do hard drugs was a win. So I certainly liked her quite a bit and had a lot of feelings for anyway, But I was able to convince myself that she is this is great because all she does is drink, and that's going to help me. Is because I'm gonna be with her, you know, obviously we spend a lot of time together. That's gonna help me stay away from hard drugs. Turned out not to be true. And I used to tell her all the time, I'm postponing the inevitable. I really really need to get clean. I just you know, I just haven't seen it. And you know, I had already been to treatment and that didn't work, and so I was, you know, I was starting at by this point in the book, and by this point, my story is starting to bounce back and forth between these attempts to at the time what I thought would be able to control my addiction, and it turns out that I can't control it.
Speaker 1: Okay, getting off opiates, just like Pete Townsend said, getting off heroin was nothing compared to getting off out of man getting off opiates. Even if you know, I just know, if I have an operation, whatever I'm taking opiates, there's gonna be one night where I just cannot fall asleep at when I'm stopping them. Okay, so you talk about going cold Turkey a number of times just because drugs aren't even available. Never at that time do you say that was such a painful process. I'm going to think twice before I start again.
Speaker 2: You are again applying this notion that logic and intellect plays a factor. And I understand why one might feel compelled to do that, but for me, it was never. You know, I think you know, I considered myself all along to be a relatively intelligent guy. It wasn't a matter of don't touch the stove because last time you touched it, it burned you. You know, the addict's brain tells you, h, well, it's not going to burn you this time, and you really should touch it.
Speaker 1: And what did your parents say about your addiction?
Speaker 2: Well, they were well. My father passed away while I was in treatment. The first time I ever went to treatment, which I talk about in the book, was really a godsend because the hospital he was in dying in was just down the street from the treatment center I was in, so I was able to go see him, and I was able to go see him during a forty five day window that I was not strung out on drugs. So my dad and I were very, very very close, and he knew I had a problem, and for the most part, I managed to still engage with my dad in a way that didn't directly confront him with my addiction. But for those last couple weeks I was clean. And then he passed away, and that was such a gift for me. Gosh, it's such a gift for me to know that I had that clarity and that pure time with my father while he was dying. Such a gift. Of course, didn't keep me clean, but I did have that window, and that's so valuable to me. It's priceless. And your mother, my mother was you know, she was probably the only effort. There were times when she was probably the only person in the world that believed it, that was left that believed in me. She as she tells me to this day, my mom's still here and she's an incredible woman, and she tells me this today. She said, I always knew you were going to make it. It was tearing me apart to see what you were going through, but I always knew you were going to make it.
Speaker 1: Okay, stopping the way in the book, it seems like it's a personal decision in twelve step program. Is that accurate.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to talk too much about program, because you know the program.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just trying to say I don't need to know the specifics. What I'm trying to say is some people go to rehab, some people have medical intervention. The way the book read, it seemed like the program, along with a desire, was all it took to quit permanently. Is that true?
Speaker 2: Well, I never say permanently. Good point, I never say permanently. I do it a day at a time, and it's been five years and eleven months a day to time. So I think for me it took this well, as we call it, this gift of desperation. I was so just dead inside. I was so there was nothing was working. I couldn't the relief I was chasing through drugs and alcohol was no longer available from drugs and alcohol. And after beating my head against that wall so many times and not getting in, I finally began to concede that this just wasn't working anymore. And it just seemed to consistently be not working. So if it wasn't working then, I don't know what to do. So what I did was I started putting myself around people that had been through that as well and just started taking their advice and hanging out with them and doing the things that they did. And over time, very sort of I was angry about it. I was resentful about it. It felt like breaking up with a girlfriend that was madly in love with. But over time I started collecting a little bit of sobriety time and my life started to get better. And coincidentally, the woman that I was in a relationship with was doing that across the Atlantic at the same time as me, and we, you know, we're she's down the hall. We're married today, we have we have a child together, and we you know, reflect on that time and say, you know, we didn't get sober together. We got sober at the same time.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about Randy the lead singer, being clean when you're addicted. The members of the band listen to most bands drink, you know, they party whatever were you were addicted. Was there anybody else in the band who was addicted?
Speaker 2: I don't I wouldn't answer that if there was, or if there wasn't. You know, that's not the kind of thing you say.
Speaker 1: That I don't need to know names. I'm asking a different question. Are you the lone outsider or is this the nature of the act?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think everyone in our band at some point has had their own relationship with alcohol and or drugs. You know, Randy is vocally and publicly sober, and I am as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the state of metal music today?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great question. The state of metal music today. It's exciting, it's really exciting. There's a lot of young bands that I see popping up that are referencing bands that I remember when we were coming up, and so it's it's I'm old enough where I can see things to come back around and see like a lot of the Scandinavian influence and a lot of like the symphonic Norwegian influence of metal is kind of popping and sort of being reformulated and popping up into very hip young bands now and seeing that stuff react. A lot of the hardcore stuff, the more traditional kind of Northeast hardcore sound is getting repurposed and coming up in these young, exciting bands, and it's really a thrill to see I don't personally spend a lot of time in young heavy metal scenes. I'm fifty two years old, I have a family, I have, and I also and this is out of no disrespect or no disconnection from the music. But I will say that, like I always use this example, if you make your living running a pizza shop, when you have Sunday off, you probably don't order pizza, you know what I mean. So I am so connected to metal via the band and the music that we make that I don't rely pursue a lot of stuff. But I do listen from a distance, and I see a lot of exciting a lot of exciting metal bands happening.
Speaker 1: Let me put it a different way. I remember when led Zeppelin was considered heavy metal and Black Sabbath was too far out. Today, if you listen to the format active rock, most of the bands I'm generalizing here derivative of Metallica, And although Metallica had its moment with the Black Album nineteen ninety one with Enter Sandman, et cetera, where it matched the mainstream, generally speaking, most of what the bands in the bands in that framework, thrash metal, et cetera has a wide but does not reach everybody. It's sort of its own ghetto. Do you perceive it that way?
Speaker 2: Do I perceive thrash metal as being a heavy mate.
Speaker 1: I don't want to make a valet metal different things. What I mean, the way I put it is, to listen today's medical music, you need a handbook. You have to go through the history to get all where it is. And if you haven't followed the scene or you're not natural the scene, people aren't going to hear a song, Oh I like that metal song, It's like they're playing it in another universe.
Speaker 2: Well, Bob, I think for guys like me and you to to really sort of try and unpack today's metal. I don't think we're the target audience, right.
Speaker 1: I don't want to make it that. What I really want to say is how large is the metal market in general? Old bands, new bands, they go on the road. Is it growing? Is it decreasing? What's your perception?
Speaker 2: I think it's really healthy, you know. Would I say, has heavy metal ever been bigger? Probably so? But I think, you know, I just finished the tour Lamb of God finished a tour with Macedon. We had very very well attended shows at the LA Forum at Red Rocks in Colorado. I within the last year year and a half, I played Madison Square Garden, Pantera, and Lamb of God. These are huge historic venues, you know, and the fans are still coming out. Slip Knot is doing huge numbers and they're as heavy as it gets. Really still, metallica is otherworldly. I mean, there's you know, as big as you two. So yeah, I think it's super healthy, man. I think I think it is. I think it's probably easy to miss because I don't think that you hear the same about these events that you might hear about I don't know Morgan Walland, for example, the biggest country star in the world right now, or you know any you know, any of these sort of crossover pop acts or whatever, or they get maybe they get more visible attention. But I think there's huge things going on in metal, and I think that that the fans are there and they're they're showing up.
Speaker 1: Well, can you tell us about the fans of metal?
Speaker 2: The fans of metal are lifers. Is it's a lifestyle music. It's it's something that a real metal head was a metal head when they were fifteen, and they're a metal head when they're fifty. We do a thing called Headbanger's Boat. We do it every year. It's a it's a cruise ship and we pack it full of like twenty bands and Lamb of God's the headliner. It sells out every year. We were on our what are we You're I think Herefore we just announced and it's almost sold out, and uh, you know it's it's families. It's I see people in their fifties bringing their teenage kids and making it a vacation, and it's just you realize, I'm reminded in I'm bringing this up because we just did it recently, and I'm just reminded at what a lifestyle this is, and the same way that you know, I told you earlier I'm a dead head, grateful dead is the lifestyle, right, it's not. It is the music, but it's also there's kind of a culture around it, and heavy metal is that way. It's that way the fans recognize each other and there's a familial kind of relationship between metal heads and metal fans, and and you know it's not specific to that. Punk Rocket is very much the same way, but it's just one of those music, one of those genres of music, where certainly there are lots of subgenres, but metal fans feel a kinship to one another.
Speaker 1: Okay, without mentioning names. Although I know these people historically over decades, they have been Republicans, they have been right wingers. They may not have been advertised. Again, okay, do you find the metal audience more right than left?
Speaker 2: I don't find it to be well, it probably. I think it depends where you go. Honestly, I think it depends what part of the world you're in, what part of the country you're in. I think more than anything, Bob, I think again, based on our last point, I think metal transcends that. I think for an hour and a half at a Lamb of God show, nobody in that audience that's got their hands in the air gives a hoot about who the guy next to them voted for. I think they're hoping that the band plays their favorite song.
Speaker 1: Traditionally, heavy metal has been the sound of the alienated. Do you find that, oh?
Speaker 2: I think that there are I think so. I think it's a bit counter in the sense that it's never been fully popular music. Maybe some versions of it were in the eighties. I think there's an underground spirit to heavy metal, and I think the imagery and the fashion associated with it, I think it all feels a little there's a thread to it that people feel a little counter, a little outside of the mainstream, and that's probably well, that's probably earned.
Speaker 1: Is inherently there a mode between metal and other formats or if we lived in the days of MTV too, never mind regular MTV when they played videos. Do you believe there are certain metal materials, certain metal songs, that if people just heard them, they would embrace them?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, that's a great question. Do I believe that a certain metal songs that if people just heard then they would embrace me at all? Uh? Yeah, yeah, man, I mean Inner Sandman. Have you seen that footage of the Virginia Tech football team coming out to Inner Sandman?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah. Well, I'm trying to say that happens in a different era in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: The song did, but the phenomenon around the song is modern contemporary.
Speaker 1: I guess. Let me be very clear, bands that started post mass exposure this century, are there songs equal to innersian Man that if they got the same exposure as Inner sand Man, they would have the same adoption.
Speaker 2: Well, inner Sandman is a high as a high benchmark.
Speaker 1: That that's a very high bar. Doesn't have to that's a.
Speaker 2: Very high bar, man. I think that might be up you talk about I mean, I'm getting off off the monoail here, but we talk about inner sam Man. You're talking about you're talking about paranoid, you're talking about breaking the law, You're talking about you know what I'm saying. That is one of the you're talking about. Smoke on the Water your Dad is like one a classic, classic, legendary zeitgeist capturing song. I wonder, man, I would love to know if those guys felt that lightning the first time they heard back a mix of that or the basic tracks of that come up, because it's just it's not even my favorite Metallica song, frankly, but you cannot deny and if this is what you're talking about, you can't deny that the universal connection and power to that song, right, I don't know. Is there another song? Are you asking me? Is there a song like that? Sense?
Speaker 1: Is there a song out there played by metal acts today that if they were exposed they would have the same level of acceptance or is the music so self rent, rential and different than really that's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Oh, it'll happen again. It'll happen again.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on to what degree? To what degree are you on social media and to what degree do you interact and know your fans.
Speaker 2: I am on well, I used to be on Twitter some years ago. I was on there quite a bit, and I just, man, it just really was. It was a strange addiction because I would catch myself on there arguing with people. So I'm not on that platform it's called X Now, I'm not on that platform here as much. I'm not on Facebook hardly at all. I do post pretty regularly on Instagram, and most of my Instagram has to do with vintage guitars and gear. I'm kind of a gear nerd, and we also do a little bit of homesteading and kind of farm chicken kind of stuff around here. So my Instagram is largely just scenes from my home and and then kind of gear nerding. But I'm on it quite a bit. My platform is it's I'd say it's reason reasonably known. It's I think my Instagram accounts about a hundred thousand people.
Speaker 1: So you know, bands have arcs, they tend not to have the same level of success consistently. To what degree are you concerned with maintaining audience and what is the status of Lamb of God today.
Speaker 2: I'm not concerned with maintaining audience. I'm grateful that we do. I think we have flirted at times over the course of our career, flirted with just dipped our toe in the water of like starting to make decisions based on what we think our fans might want to hear, or what they might or maybe sometimes even doing something that we think they expect. One thing, so let's do this and and and that starts feeling really unnatural, and we really try to avoid that, so I don't we don't make choices in the band with the fans in mind. That sounds off putting, but it's I think it's really in an effort to stay pure and stay generine, stay genuine. But I do. Uh. I'm astounded again. I talked about this story we just did. I see I see parents bringing their children, and I see fourteen year old kids with Lamba gotchers On singing songs that we recorded, you know, when they were two years old, and I'm just nothing. It's just the greatest, you know, besides like my children and my family. It's the greatest joy in my life to see fathers making connections with their kids on the front barricade of a LAMB show and just the joy in their eyes when the lights come up, and seeing them scream the songs together. And I'm just astounded at that. I get to be a part of that small little system, that circle that happens there, and so I know that we're creating new fans, or that new fans are being created, and I know that it's so much bigger than me or even the five of us, or even that song or whatever. It's just such a it's such as really I'm kind of hippy man, but it really is just sort of the supernatural, kind of spiritual phenomenon that music has that connection between people. And so I get to see that, I get to witness it, I get to be a part of it, and I'm just thrilled by it.
Speaker 1: Okay, in the book, you talk about yourself and another band member not going on certain tours for certain reasons, usually good reasons. Frequently that ends a band. How does everybody feel when you say, well, you know, I'm gonna sit this one out, or we gotta sit that person down, or they're gonna come back.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why it should end a band, or it should end someone's participation in a band. But maybe I take it for granted that the level of support and the level of brotherhood that we feel amongst ourselves is that sometimes your life is more important than your life as a member of Lamb of God, and sometimes you have something going on that you need to be available for that prohibits you from taking your seat in whatever this thing we have is going on, and we find ways around that, We find ways to love and support each other.
Speaker 1: At this point in time, have you been financially successful enough with the Lamb of God that if you wanted to call it a day today, that you have enough money to get to the end.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think I would probably have to adjust some things about my lifestyle, but I could probably figure that out if I had to.
Speaker 1: Okay, a lot of bands, as time goes on, they work less. In the book you're talking about when the band is really starting to break, as Lamb of God as supposed to burn the priest. You're work in morning, noon, and night, what's the philosophy today in terms of how much you work hiatus, solo albums, solo tours.
Speaker 2: So with with Lamb of God, it's a collective and it's it's you know, everyone has a voice, and we talk about as tour opportunities get presented to us, we talk about how long we've been on a cycle or how many times we've played in that you know, that continent or that territory, and is it do we want to go back again? And do we want to take a break, how we're feeling creatively, do we feel like we have material piling up? Is it time for us to start thinking about compiling new material and getting a record together. So those are all things we could just consider. And tours are usually these days, you know, discussed and starting to get planning a year out. So I always know almost at any given time with LAMB what my next eighteen months is going to look like. And that's a conversation we have internally. We have great management, we have a great booking agent, great team around all that stuff. So those are things conversations that are always happening about you know, you know, I have discussions today about what we might be doing or may or may not be doing in twenty twenty six, right, So we kind of are always ahead of ourselves and that look forward thinking that way, and the decisions are made collectively as time goes on. Yeah, I am interested in you know, there were in those early days. I wanted to be on the road when we first got one, and I wanted to be on the road all the time, just because my mindset was different. And that was twenty years ago and I was a much younger man, and my responsibilities and my whole lifestyle was completely different. And these days it's it's you know, it's different. I have children, I have a young daughter, I have a teenage daughter, I have a wife, I have a home, I have all these relationships and all these things that are that are high priority to me. The band is as well, So it's about fine. I think, you know, home life, homework balance is something that everyone probably struggles with most people, and that's no different for us with solo stuff. As you brought up. That is something that I just went on this complete tear, and I think some of it has to do with sobriety. I wrote the book and I've worked on a bunch of solo music recently, and it's just kind of like just purging all this creative energy out and it's been super productive and super fun, and I'm ready to let all that stuff get out into the world and happen, and you know, just enjoy the fact that I was able to be a part and be in some of those rooms.
Speaker 1: In a man that's on the road so much. What's the key to maintaining your relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, to be available and to stay engaged. And for me, the key to all of it is to have an identity and maintain an identity and maintain a life that exists outside of the band, both you know, in real terms and practical terms and also mentally. I love my role in Lamb of God. I love Lamb of God. I love everything that we get to do, and I exist wholly and completely outside of it as well. And for me, with my kids and my wife and my home life, Lamb of God doesn't necessarily come up all the time, you know.
Speaker 1: So you've had incredible success. You've gone on the record that you didn't anticipate that this music would have as wide of acceptance as it does. To the degree you look forward, what's the dream going forward.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate that question, and I think for me the dream is to just continue creating music that I enjoy making and to be able to help maybe help other people write songs. I've had the chance to work with other artists and putting their thing together, younger artists and people kind of up and coming trying to create their own career, and I really really love being a part of that stuff. And I love being, you know, the elder experienced guy in the room. That's a lot of fun. And I love creating, writing and producing with artists. When it's not my thing that I'm going to perform, that's really exciting to me. And when I get a chance to do that stuff, I always find it very fulfilling and it's something I would love to continue doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mark, I think we've covered it for now. For those of you who want more detailed, much more detail, you can get Mark's book, Desolation really holds no punches. I want to thank you for taking this time with my audience.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, Bob, thanks for the opportunity. I really invite before.
Speaker 1: Until next time. This is Bob left Stets