Speaker 1: Today's episode contains spoilers for Dune Prophecy episode four twice born. Watch that before you listen today. Hi everyone, I'm a Boo and welcome to X Ray Visions Extras and Extra Vision series, where we dive deep into even more of your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Every superhero team needs side quests, and our rotating bandele of producers and guest hosts will be suiting up to help Jason and Rosie cover all of the amazing nerd content out there. In fact, today I'm joined by the Tehran rfl himself, Jason CONCEPTI own.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Emperor, who must I burn with my mind?
Speaker 1: Okay, Jason, we are here to of course talk about Dune Prophecy episode.
Speaker 3: Four of six.
Speaker 1: We're going to run through the summary of the episode together, share our thoughts, and then at the end, I'll have some Lord tidbits to share, which folks in the Discord have been appreciating. Which is always fun because I get to do some Dune research every time I.
Speaker 4: Watch these episodes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's jump right in. Episode four of Dune Prophecy opens on Wallach nine, which is a buzz after all of the acolytes have experienced a terrifying and possibly prophetic dream vision. In fact, Sister Emmeline is standing over that pool where Dorotea had died and nearly stabs herself. She's in some sort of trance, but luckily Sister Jen runs in and is able to stop her before the knife falls. Now after the title credits, we return with Tula, who is in a meeting with Sister Emmeline and Sister Jen and is doing her best to try and understand the who, what, when where of this dream? What's happening here? She's quite shocked, but she can't quite figure out what's happening. I got the sense she's also nervous that the Dora Tea murder might leak somehow through these visions.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is definitely the sense you get.
Speaker 1: And I also thought it was interesting that Sister Emmeline uses truth sense on mother Tula. I think maybe the first time we've watched an acolyte do that on one of the teachers here at the school. A breach of trust, which we'll see Emmeline kind of becomes a bit rebellious later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a lot of trust to be found at the Sisterhood right now, which I think is really fun. Do you get a sense of what the ranks are currently in the sisterhood? How many levels are there between Mother Superior and everything else up from acolte.
Speaker 1: I think in this show it is quite linear. It's just Vollya Mother Superior up top, and then her sort of inner circle of reverend mothers, who I think is basically Sister Avila and Tula sort of the right.
Speaker 4: And left hands. We don't get a sense of any.
Speaker 1: Tenured professor teachers that are kind of around, but presumably there are other teachers teaching these accolades. It's not just the three women at the top that we see. But I think as far as this show is concerned, that's it for now. And actually, speaking of Sister Avilla, after this little parent teacher conference, she turns to Tula and she's like, leave this alone. Don't mess with the dream thing. It'll go away, it'll work itself out. It's better not to tamper with this, which is precisely what Tula will not do this episode.
Speaker 2: Sisterravilla exists primarily in this show to say Tula, don't do that, yes, and for Tula to just blow through absolutely do it anyway, Like Avilla's entire contribution is like, now you shouldn't do this, let me take care of it, and then Tula will just be like, no.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your opinion, Nevila. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We then come back to Volya, who is as your recall from the of the last episode, back home at the hearken In household, and she has a bit of a confrontational meeting slash Thanksgiving dinner with her uncle and nephew where they throw some barbs back and forth, which I thought was cute and on brand. But she does have a mission here. She proposes that it is perhaps finally time for House Hearkenin to have its very own truth sayer, and not just any truth sayer, go right to the top. But me, Mother Superior, what do you.
Speaker 2: Think about that?
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good sales pitch And Harrow's like, okay, tell me more now listen.
Speaker 2: Is it in a pinch? Have I just recently lost my job? Are we as an organization in a lot of trouble? And that's what's driven me this? Uh huh, yes, but don't ignore the headline. House Hearkenin gets Mother Superior as Truthsayer's.
Speaker 1: Right, full stop, top of the fold. Incredible stuff. Yeah, House hearken In really not doing their due diligence here. You've got a background check anyone you hire, like, it doesn't matter what credentials they claim to walk in with his sisters. Theodosia at the dinner table, by the way, does use truth sense on Harrow. Hearkenent just so we can get a bit of character motivation for this guy who we are just now introduced to in this episode, and we learned that Harrow's deepest, darkest desire is for respect. He wants to earn the respect of his peers in the Lancerad and in the governing body. And Valia is basically promising him that. Wally is saying, I will be your truth sayer and I will help you gain a respected seat on the High Council of the Lancerad, and Harrow agrees. Meanwhile, we cut to another tense I believe breakfast this time this seems like a morning situation. Yea, yeah, yeah, the juice looked really delicious. There was a lot of good food in the background of this episode, or maybe I was just hungry when I was watching the Karnos are having also quite the confrontational breakfast at that beautiful waterfall terrace thing in the palace when Princess storms in and basically just calls Desmond out as a killer. She says, uh, there are rumors swirling in the palace that prueit Richesy was murdered and I think you did it. And Desmond just cops to it. He's like, yeah, yeah, I did you.
Speaker 2: Know why? Because he's got fucking thinking machines. He had that thinking machine toy. Yep, what did we fight the war for? Is that not a crime?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Did not?
Speaker 2: Your father the emperor proclaiming her crime? Come on, why are we getting mad at me right now?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, while he's stuffing his face with rolls like.
Speaker 2: So hungry. Also, is Travis Fimmel like purposely making faces where his eyes go cross eyed? Throughout this episode He's making some of the most insane faces while giving line readings and spoiler burning people with his mind and eating that I've ever like he is fully wild in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that might be intentional because of the whole eye thing. Shai Halud gave me an eye. I lost my eye in the attack so maybe he is doing some eye acting there, which is impressive. I could not do that while trying to deliver lines. Now, while this dinner is taking place, we also get a quick couple of shots of the wider city at large, the spaceport where we see ships arriving. The great houses of the Lancetrate are all coming to Solusis secundus, folks, there's a big meeting that's.
Speaker 4: Happening, so everyone is arriving.
Speaker 1: We then cut to our boy Desmond Hart, who is presumably like in his office or whatever, and he's just casually burning one of Kasha's old Sisterhood books that she had left behind, like daring pages out and burning them understand one by one.
Speaker 2: Well, this is clearly he is on the tracks for a confrontation with the Sisterhood. Writ large that said, this is a little bit over the top. No, like we need this stuff, don't we, Emperor, don't we need these books?
Speaker 1: I feel like there's got to be some thing important in there. The Emperor did not seem to mind. But the Emperor doesn't really have the most solid spine as we know, so it's tough. I mean, it's also just like mad disrespect to books. You know, I think both books are precious, and like this may be more than the Pruitt thing, perhaps his greatest crime. The Emperor and Desmond chat here. It's just two dudes having a heart to heart growing out, Havoco sits down and he admits to Desmond that he's feeling insecure in his position. He's unable to live up to these legendary Carino ancestors. As we had talked about in episode one. They're war heroes, they're great politicians. I'm a nobody. Nobody respects me in the imperium. Desmond tries to be like, well, maybe you should have a spine, Maybe you should be more of a hard ass. Maybe you should rule with an iron fist. And if people don't respect you, you got me. Tell me who to burn. Point me in a direction, I'll kill it.
Speaker 4: But for what it's worth.
Speaker 1: Havoc is like, no, not right now. Let's just keep you as back up for now, you're still benched. We then cut to out of the city, where in a nondescript alley, we join Kiaran, a tradees and his rebel friend that we met a few episodes ago, who are meeting up with an Ixian tech smuggler, the first time we have seen an Xian on screen from the Dean universe, at least in the modern adaptations, and this smuggler, in exchange for many many Solaris gives the Rebels this drone bomb hunter seeker looking thing, which is obviously a thinking machine and obviously very illegal.
Speaker 2: Can I ten thousand years later they will have this tech. Obviously, we will see it in the first Dune movie, and it's there in the first Dune book, but of course piloted by a Hearken and I guess yes, So this is just flat out illegal because there's no pilot.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Autonomous is the key, right, It has its own quote unquote brain, and so it's very illegal, as we will see later in the episode. We then cut back to Vollia, who is in her room at the Harken end State. She is, in fact, recording one of those long eye message voice messages that people love to record. It's quite vulnerable, it's quite heartfelt. We get a sense of a softer side to Vali here, but she doesn't hit send. I think we've all been here with an X or two. She deletes it instead. And then she stabs the cartridge, the game Boy cartridge in two sisters. Theodosia enters and reports that the rebels have got this drone. They're gonna use it during the lamps Ride meeting. They're gonna kill the emperor.
Speaker 4: And Bali is like, perfect, that's.
Speaker 1: Exactly what we need to happen, because I'm gonna be there, I'm gonna swoop in, I'm gonna save the emperor. I'm gonna get back in as good graces.
Speaker 2: Why not just immediately drop the dime, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why not just right now go to the emperor and say, guess what, Your sword master's currently in the palace right now and fucking your daughter like all the time, is plotting to kill you. I go through this, add this extra wrinkle where also you have to save his life in front of the assembled lands red right, this seems like a bad idea from somebody who's supposed to be in a position of that requires wisdom and intellect.
Speaker 4: You know, Jason, that is an amazing point.
Speaker 3: And I think if you were Mother Superior, that's what you would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's not what Balia does, and in fact, what they decide to do with the sisters decide to do is they're going to take advantage of these rumors about pruet riches that have been swirling in the palace, and they're instead going to convince these two particular members of the Lanstrade Council to use Haro Harken and give him that open spot that house Rachese left open, and use Harrow to accuse the Emperor basically of murdering open an investigation into the Rachese boy's death and accuse the emperor investment being involved. We see this sort of manipulation montage take place, the sisters whispering to their particular dukes and lords to convince them, and then we also see Harrow meet with these council members and basically accept the job. He's a little nervous about it, but he accepts. Okay, Jason, let's take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to check back in with Tula and the accolytes who are having nightmares.
Speaker 4: All right, We're back over on Wallach nine.
Speaker 1: Tula gathers all of the acolytes for a class group spice trip art therapy session, but things quickly go south when all of the sisters are once again stuck in a trance and can't seem to get out of it. I thought this was actually a really great scene. A lot of good horror elements here. But the sisters are stuck in this trance. They're all scribbling on their parchment. They're all basically scribbling the same thing. It all kind of converges into the same images of sand and shy Hallou to the worm, and then ultimately this pair of eyes, that pair of blue eyes that this show has been teasing all season long. Sister Emmeline says something interesting. She, in fact, once she's out of this trance, says, quote, God is watching us, judging us. The reckoning is here end quote, which is very interesting. Makes my ears perk up as somebody who has read all of Frey Kerbert's student books, because that seems to be a pretty overt nod to a huge character later in the books. And I'm a little hesitant to say more than that.
Speaker 2: Oh really, now, when you say yes, I think I know where you're going. When they say here, they don't mean like in the present timeline though, right, because that seems like unless they're going to add something, there's a different character. It seems like they're talking about something that will not happen for several thousand years.
Speaker 1: Yes, they do seem to be hinting at a thing that happened happened for several thousand years. I don't think they mean here literally, but if you'll recall a little show called Game of Thrones season eight, in particular, a thing that brand Stark could do with his powers, that is perhaps what they're hinting at here too. But I'm I'm skeptical. There's a lot of theory online that this could be a certain character from book four of Frank's stories who's just time traveling and manipulating things ten thousand years in the past. I don't agree with that theory, okay, but I just wanted to call it out for folks who might be thinking it too.
Speaker 2: You know, it was cool about the art therapy lesson other than again, we just had like a night scenario with everybody having a bad dream. I think, let's like, let's punt on the spice for a little bit, but that's nearly heard all there. I did like the art class because this was like a technique that was used in real life and the CIA is like remote viewing, oh mk ultra like project in which the CIA and other defense acies tried to see if people could develop like claravoidance, and that one of the ways they would do it is this kind of like light scribbling. You have someone miles away or in the other room focusing on something and oh, the person who's to receive the image sits there and just scribbles and lets their mind go loose and sees if they can receive the image and then draw it.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll try sending you an image telepathically next time you recorders.
Speaker 4: Do that.
Speaker 1: Returning to the Palace, Empress Natalia meets with Desmond in a little one on one in his office and reveals to him.
Speaker 4: I love it that.
Speaker 1: Uh it was me, Yeah, it was me all along. I've been spreading the rumors about Pruitt. We're chasing myself to so chaos, And she in fact gives Desmond these recordings is like Imperial surveillance data about suspected machine dealers who are dealing illegal technology, like our extceine friend from earlier, for example, and she tells Desmond that it's time it's time to clamp down on this it's no longer a time for leniency against these machines. Do what you do best, Desmond, burn him, and so he does that exactly. This guy has just been promoted so quickly, so fast. He's apparently in charge of the guards, and he tells them he gives them this data, and he says, go find these sympathizers, bring them to me. We then return to the Beloved Club where Kira to Traadees is smoking with his friend Yeah, and Yinez arrives and they talk. She admits to Kieran that she's conflicted right now. She doesn't know what to do about this whole Desmond thing. She doesn't know how to confront her father about it.
Speaker 2: What is she to do?
Speaker 1: Kieran, being thetreates that he is, tries to convince her to do the right thing, do the thing that is best for the imperium and brings justice to a murderer, even if that means disobeying your father and moving against your family. Specifically, he says, quote sometimes you have to burn it thing down before you can save it end quote, and so Ynes takes this to heart. She then goes to her half brother Constantine and asks him to help her move against Desmond to help her betray father. He is understandably nervous. He likes his head where it is, but she, you know, works some angles.
Speaker 4: She flatters him.
Speaker 1: She tells him how brave she is, how she wouldn't have made it this far without his love and support, and so he seemingly reluctantly agrees. Meanwhile, back at the Hearkenans, sister Theodosia confronts Balia about why the hell she's been here for two episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and honestly, like, I'm asking the same question.
Speaker 3: Good question, thank god somebody asked.
Speaker 2: Sister.
Speaker 1: Theodosia was like, yeah, it's fine, I'll keep cashing in my day rate. But it turns out Theodosia has been brought here because she has some sort of secret talent that she has sworn off of ever using again. Okay, but Valia says, we may need it as a last resort if things really go south. We're up against an enemy we don't know how to defeat.
Speaker 4: I might need your abilities.
Speaker 1: Theodosia is upset about this, obviously, but Walia is like, look, sister, head first, if we got to use it, we.
Speaker 4: Gotta use it.
Speaker 1: And we'll see what that power is shortly at the end of the episode. Okay, Jason, it's Lance Ride meeting time. Everybody gathers, all the great houses are here. Harrow, Harkin and sitting right up front in that respected seat on the Lance rad proud of my guy. Yeah, want it come up good for him? And this is obviously where all of the schemes and plotting that we've watched all episode culminates. This convergence point. Harrow stands up, does his thing. He accuses or he wants to open an investigation into the for Jazy Boy's death.
Speaker 2: Yes, I formally request, that's right, an investigation into the practices of this man here, Desmond, who we know nothing about. Under the audicle, he quotes, it's like an art, like some kind of ancient right that these houses have, which I liked. Yes, and people like, oh my god, this has not been used in quite a while.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: He refers to Conley, which I will talk more about in my lore segment at the end of time.
Speaker 2: That's right, Conley.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll talk more about that in a bit. But in fact, before he can actually name the Corinos and the Emperor specifically as the people he's really pointing at. Ynez comes in and does it for him. She boldly accuses her own family of being complicit in this murder. Things quickly stroll into chaos, but then Desmond takes control of the room. He parades in those captured tech smugglers that his guards had gone out into the city to grab. He once again, this time to the whole lancetrat body, boldly admits to murder. He says, yeah, I guild the murder chasing boy. I did do it, but it's not murder. This was a justified execution. Really playing with semantics here, but this was a justified execution against a machine sympathizer, the very same machine, Jason, and with the dramatics flow or if she brings out the drone, the very same machine that would have blown all of your asses up. Everybody in this room and obviously everyone just gasping. This is blowing everyone's minds. He's definitely got a dramatic flare here. Must have been incredible on his high school theater stage. And Desmond declares that from now on, a hard line will be declared against thinking machines. Zero tolerance for machines, zero tolerance and in fact, we're gonna start today. Zero tolerance policy starts right now. He activates his powers and burns in a pretty horrific scene. He burns all of the rebels and even one of the counselors who had a thinking thinking machine.
Speaker 2: Earlier, and he just like gets everybody, and everybody's just like gonna watch nobody's gonna like go.
Speaker 3: At this guy, like we're just gonna watch this outen. That was yes, that was my question as well.
Speaker 4: Nobody's even like screaming and running out of the room.
Speaker 3: You know, it's giving kind of the boys the head.
Speaker 4: Scene and the boys a little bit him scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I have a question, Yes, Kiaran a trades flees the room, how does he not get Kiaren? That's how is he unaware of him?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And how does he not? Is it just simply the plot armor?
Speaker 4: But it must be.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's got to be some other explanation.
Speaker 1: I don't have an explanation from the books or from a lower standpoint for that. To me, it feels like plot armor. Because we got Karen's friend, yes, his buddy, that he was smoking, openly smoking within the bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had several meetings with this gentleman. If you got that guy, he's gotta get Karen. And we got the ixcey and also, you know, we really got everybody around him. Gosh, we're going to triangulate like we got we got this guy rock solid. No, Kieren gets away, presumably because of plot armor. Okay, We then return to Wallach nine for a little bit. We are now under a cone of silence. This felt like a misplaced scene came out of left field to me. I agree, But we're under a cone of silence, and Sister Emmeline, if you'll recall her from earlier, is now reading from what I believe is the oc Bible, which is a text within the Dune universe, could be something else, but is reciting from this book and keeping Dorotea's teachings alive.
Speaker 1: I guess this was confusing to me. I'm not sure where this cropped up for Emmeline all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But we also then check in with Tula, who is sitting next to the Spice Bakta tank where Lilah is recuperating, and in fact, Tula is getting real sleepy. She has a nightmare slash vision of sister Emmeline confronting her about Dorotea's death. She brutally in this vision kills sister Emmeline, only to wake and find that Lila has left the tank and she tells the AI to turn all the smart home lights on, and we then see a gray and or blue eyed It's a little unclear in the lighting what color her eyes are, but we see Lila walking around seemingly very confused because the only words she says are where am I? I have some theories on where that might go, but we can talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please Okay?
Speaker 1: To wrap up the episode after all this Landstride chaos, we are back at the hearken In household and Valia tells Theodosia that she has acquired a sample of Desmond's blood. She has this bloody rag from the event and they basically got to send it to twenty three and meet right to figure out what part Mongolian this guy is, but also who is what his backstory is? She then has I really loved this final scene?
Speaker 4: Actually?
Speaker 1: She has this very intense and emotional standoff with her uncle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mark Addy pulling down the old thunder again.
Speaker 1: A Valia lets her uncle die in this moment, doesn't give him his inhaler and then looks over and we see none other than Griffin Harkin hasn't aged a day.
Speaker 2: I was like, what the fuck is happening? Hold on it? I thought it was like I think just thinking of the penguin. I was like, is this a like what right is happening right now?
Speaker 1: Certainly, and I think it was played off as a vision for a few beats intentionally, Yeah, But then she walks up and literally hugs Griffin and they exchanged some words back and forth. But then she says thank you THEO specifically, and then Griffin walks away and as we cut to the credits here, our final shot is a shot of sister Theodosia shape shifting back into herself.
Speaker 4: This was crazy from Griffin harkinin.
Speaker 2: So that is the adojent's special talent is she can shape shift fully her entire form quite painfully.
Speaker 4: It seems it looked very painful into the mirror.
Speaker 2: Image of whoever she is studying. I guess off of like they would show her holograms and then she would mold it somehow.
Speaker 4: But that was a that was like a wow, what Yeah, that was a big wow. What moment. I think for many reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for folks who have read the Dude novels, you immediately think face answer question mark, Yeah, face dancer.
Speaker 4: But even in the Brian.
Speaker 1: Herbert prequel books, the timeline of that doesn't quite line up because face dancers haven't been invented by this point. So this seems to be a show only decision. Okay, and maybe we'll get an explanation for it in the next episode. I'm curious before we dive into our big picture thoughts. I'm wondering what you read was on why Theodosia turned into Griffin exactly in this last scene.
Speaker 2: My only thought is that she must have been pretending to be some sort of ghostly specter for reasons that we have not yet. Yeah understood, That's what I was thinking, Like she was trying to trick Uncle Harkinen into revealing something. Doing something maybe is the reason that he h under Dress in an extreme emotional stress, then passed away this yeah, do to quote unquote natural causes. I'm not sure, right, But that's the part I've just been trying to figure out, because I'm like, what did she do? What was now this does fall? I'm sure they will reveal what it was, but this does fall into the general plot pattern of this series, which is to show you the thing and then later yes, show you the significance of the thing. We can debate whether that's a wise plot choice or not, but I'm utterly confused as to what the reason for doing this could be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so am I. I'm in the same boat.
Speaker 1: I do think we will perhaps learn something because Valia says, have I pushed you too far? Seemingly they had some conversation before and she asked her specifically to do something as Griffin, So maybe there will be a reveal next episode. Okay, that's doing Prophecy episode four. That's our recap of this episode. Let's take another quick breather, Jason. Let's collect our thoughts when we come back. Let's talk a big picture what we think of doing Prophecy so far, and then touch on some lower Easter eggs from this episode. Okay, we're back, all right, Jason. I'm curious, where's your heart at with this show right now?
Speaker 4: Four episodes in.
Speaker 2: I'm a little I'm saddened because I was wanting this to be better. I think what is frustrating about this episode in particular is this is what I've wanted, was for us to go back to the present timeline, the main timeline with all the plotting around Emperor Carrino, the plots that surround him, Desmond Heart and what Desmond Heart might be up to, and the general fallout from the Cheesy Boy death. And we have done that, and it was just kind of a mess. We talked about the kind of end reveal that, you know, I don't know that it is great story wise to have a kind of diosx makin a superpower appear in the final moments of like a pivotal episode, like out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: And here's this thing.
Speaker 2: I think compounding the confusion surrounding a diosx machin of superpower appearing in the final moments of a pivotal episode is when you don't tell us what it was used to do. So I'm like, what is happening? I like the lands rad stuff, I like the general politics. I did like the kind of even though it did feel like it came out of left field, the suggestions that there are splinter groups within the Sisterhood, people who don't agree with the general direction and are like, wait, what is it we were doing, like we don't agree with this, we adhere to Do'rtea's line of thinking. All that stuff. I like, I just find and that there's a lot of characters that feel very much to be passengers in their own arcs. Yeah, great way to put Emperor Karno, for instance. I think we thought Mark strong, great actor, You're going to see more from him. He's really just caught up in the backwash of Desmond Heart's plotline, which is only beginning to take shape now. Same with the Empress, who I think is a very strong and wonderful character. Same with Princess Yanez, same with Kieran. So it's like, I keep coming back to the central thing, which is like, who's the main character. I think we know now that it's Desmond Heart versus Valia is essentially like the confrontation that we've been stumbling towards. I just wish that had been set up a little earlier, if we had ten episodes or more, I think I would feel like we can get there. We can still get there, and there's still enough good stuff here where I like the bones of the thing with s Now. I'm truly a little scared that we're not going to see a good show or hints of a good show this season, and that could this be it for doing prophecy, like we get a pick up?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Based on this four episodes in a six episode season, I'm not sure. Where are you with it?
Speaker 1: You practically voiced all of my opinions. I feel exactly the same way. I think you put it beautifully. The characters, many of the characters do feel like passengers in their own storylines, and it's a lot of plot things happen, like Domino's falling to make the next Domino fall. Yeah, seemingly. The Lancerod stuff I thought was not quite as intriguing as it could have been because we the viewer are a fly on the wall and we know everyone's schemes, right, and so we're coming into that lance Rod like we don't know what's going to go down in the Lancerod, and that's the primary tension. I did quite like that, But we do practically know what everyone is here trying to do, and I think if we're going to do intrigue, I the viewer, I also want to be participating in some of the intrigue. I want to be out of the loop on some things as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going in that's a great point because I agree with you, and I think it makes the things that we are out of the loop on stand out in a in a way that feels a little jarring, such as this sudden appearance of the potential face dancer. Yes, in that particular plotline, You're like, wait what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, the things I did like were actually whenever we cut back to Wallach nine, I'm quite intrigued with what's going on with the visions, what's going on with the Acolytes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think I've said this in our previous conversations, but I almost would have preferred a show that was like Les lancetrad Emperor Palace intrigue and more sisterhood, Like more time on Wallock nine, more time with the Accolytes. If we're going to do sort of like a kids at School and a TV show sort of thing with the Accolades, focus on Volley and Tula instead as our main characters, maybe I think that's a show that I would have been really invested in. But we're juggling a lot. We're juggling, yeah, a lot of storylines and a lot of character arcs that I just as you stated that, I'm getting very nervous we won't be able to close the loop on in a satisfying way in two more episodes with such a short season.
Speaker 2: Where do you think we're going? What do you think we end up as at the end of episode six.
Speaker 1: Well, I looked at the HBO always says the next episode preview thing. There seems to be a lot of action next episode. So I think we're getting some like knife fights. Maybe we're getting some confrontations. Finally, maybe Kieran and the rebels are just going to be like, no more hiding, let's go, or our plot got foiled, so we got to do something. I think where we're headed is a showdown between Vollia and Desmond to win the Emperor's favor, which again you kind of like take the teeth out of that bite, because we know that the Sisterhood is going to win this and be on the Emperor's side. So I guess the thing that would subvert our expectations is for Desmond to temporarily win and for Valyatt to sort of lose this bout of the match. In this first season, I'm not sure. I think either of those things could happen. I think with Lylah in particular, we're headed towards some sort of abomination. I think she's possessed by Dorotea right now, which is why she's asking, like where am I She's Dorotea has never seen this room before. I guess Lila hasn't either technically, but I think we're gonna see some possession come up.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I want to throw the question back to you, though, maybe in a different sense, like not where you think we're going, but where would you need this show to land the plane in the next two episodes for you to walk away and be like, Okay, I'm along for the ride. I'll be around for season two whenever that comes up.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'll tell you what I think will happen, and I'll tell you the version of it that I think would be cool. I think what will happen is you get this bakeoff between Desmond and Volia to uproot the rest of these machine rebels, including kieran A traadees. I think you see kieran A treats. I think we're introduced to the rest of House of trades, and maybe the next episode we get hints of what the actual governing members of that house are up to. Presumably they would have been at this meeting and would be shocked at what they've seen. I think we find that Kieran is acting like off the reservation, but I think we see under pressure, Volia and Kuran team up somehow to maybe like get Desmond Heart out of the paint, and I think that allows Kieran to continue as a character in this story. I think that would actually be pretty cool. This alliance of people who don't want to be allied together and in fact strongly disagree with each other and in fact are both illegally fucking around with Ai shit. I think that's fun, right because they have a lot of obviously skin in the game. Desmond wants probably both of them dead, and so they need to get him out of there. I think that's cool. That makes a lot of sense, and I think we end up in a place where we get some more suggestions about what Desmond is and how he became this way. Now, what do I think would be cool? I think would be what would be cool is more like agency from everybody who is not Valua and Desmond Heart. I would love to see the Emperor being like, do I trust any of these people? Okay? How do I protect myself? How do I proceed with the Empress at my side? How do we put enough insulation between us and Desmond Heart and all the rest of these people in case it goes a different way. Let's say we have to cut Desmond loose? How do we do that safely? Like, here's a guy who can burn people with his mind, and yes, he's your attack dog now, but what if he's not tomorrow. I would like to see more characters thinking that way about their current situation. You know, do I trust my truth sayer?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I wish we were seeing more I start having conversations with other people about like what do I do about this person who's at my side and I don't now know if I can trust them. That's what I would like to see as we head down the downslope of the season towards the end, is more characters acting like they have a say in their own life and wondering if all the people around them are true allies or true threats or some shade of in between, and then taking measures accordingly. I think that would be cool.
Speaker 4: What about you?
Speaker 2: What would you need to see to make you feel like, Okay, I'm in for a season two.
Speaker 1: I would need to see a lot more exactly what you're saying. I would need to see a lot more Dune level scheming and planning from the Sisterhood. I think what we've seen of the Sisterhood so far in this show is not tantalizing enough, because I admit I know a lot about Dune, so maybe none of this is like new or mind blowing stuff to me. But I wanted to come into the show to be like, oh my gosh, I'm learning so much about the Sisterhood and their inner workings. And that is a wild plan that ex Sister and Dorotea came up with. So I think I would like for this Sisterhood plotline to take us somewhere that's new and exciting and mysterious for the Dean universe. I think if we are hinting at something like a like a Latout character, or if we're going to connect it back to even Paula Trades, it feels like we're chained a little bit too much to the movies. I guess I would like for this show to take its own identity and to recognize the fact, as we've discussed, that we're ten thousand years away from so much of this stuff, like really mattering that.
Speaker 2: Much is an immense amount of time.
Speaker 3: It's such a long time.
Speaker 1: It's enough time for like wild shit like the Sisterhood to be eradicated and then come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great, great point. Let's go to the you know what now that we've said that, I want to I have a lot of questions for you, but I feel like they fall under lore. So let's jump to lore so super quickly.
Speaker 1: I'm going to blast through some lower things. I feel free to jump in with questions as well. OK, I want to shout out House Vernius. We had a lot of house names dropped in this episode because of the lands ride meeting. One of them was House Vernius, who is a particularly important house in the Brian Herbert prequel stories. House Vernius actually calls none other than Planet IX their home, and in fact they are the stewards of Planet X for thousands of years, although in this show it's not clear if House.
Speaker 4: Vernius is the same thing as X.
Speaker 1: Right now, they do take it over after this timeline, so timeline stuff is still very fuzzy right now, but certainly by the time we get close to Paula Trades once we're in the you know, eight thousands, nine thousands, close and down on that ten thousand mark. House Vernius has been ruling X for a long long time, and in fact, there's a whole plotline in the prequel books where House Vernius interacts with Duke leto tradees and ultimately meets their demise due to tragic events. Speaking of the Excians, I wanted to shout that out as well, because we met an Nix Senes smuggler in today's episode with the whole thermal bomb drone thing. And for folks who may not know, Planet X is basically just the Silicon Valley of the Dune universe, there are a bunch of techies. They are constantly pushing the bounds of the Balerian prohibitions against thinking machines, even in Paula Tredy's time, so they don't learn their lesson ever, basically over the next ten thousand years. Some fun facts, they are actually responsible in the lore for creating those cones of silence that we've seen a couple of times in this show, and they are responsible for creating the Hunter Seeker, the bomb that we saw in today's episode, and the little needle bug thing that attacks Timothy shallow May in the Dune movie. I also wanted to shout out that we got some Dune terminology here. We got Padishaw Javaco's full title Patashaw Emperor of the Known Universe, Havico Karino the First, and Patashaw is actually a Persian word. I really appreciated getting this in the show because, as we know, Dune borrows a lot from Arabic push though Persian, Hebrew traditions and languages, many of them you know, sourced from the Middle East. Frank Herbert did a lot of research on those things and borrowed a lot of ideas for his stories, and it was nice to get that as well. Notably because the show and the Villaina films in fact, were criticized for not calling the wars a gihad. In this it's the Butler and Jihad. In the future, it's Paul's gihad, which I think is fair. You just can't say the word gihad on American television in twenty twenty four, so it's fair, you know, I think that is pointlessing to get up in arms about machine wars.
Speaker 4: Totally fine.
Speaker 1: And the last thing we mentioned this earlier Conley. Harold harkinin declares Conley in this episode. And this is super interesting because Conley is defined in the Dune books as quote a formal feud or vendetta under the rules of the Great Convention, carried on according to the strictest limitations. And that's especially interesting because warfare in the Dune universe is not the traditional warfare that we know today. It's not the warfare of large armies clashing. It's not the warfare of say, like a like a Star Trek or a star wars with ships shooting lasers at each other. It is very much about assassins and vendettas and underhanded tactics and poisonings and backstabbings. And one way in which this government is controlling the bloodshed is when you want to quote unquote declare war against another house or arrival, you have to declare Conley officially, and hilariously, in the Dune Encyclopedia it actually explains you have to fill out paperwork. It's like doing your taxes. You have to declare conly and then within a limited capacity under strict rules of war, you are allowed to try to assassinate each other and stuff. And so that's practically what Harrol harkinin declared here, which is why it's a big deal that he said that at the Lawndride meeting.
Speaker 4: Did you have other lord questions for me?
Speaker 2: Jason? I do, so, what is going on with Desmond Heart? And are there any lore roots for the kind of powers that he has?
Speaker 1: I don't have an answer for what's going on with Desmond Heart, which is a totally show invention. One thing I can theorize, and perhaps the only connection that I can make, is that in the Brian Herbert prequel books, there are straight up like basically sorceresses on a planet called Rossick, And it's these sorceresses that actually help found are connected loosely to founding the Sisterhood. Actually, these sorceresses do have the ability to like telepathically mind blast people. It's not the same as telepathically burning someone to a crisp, but they do have these abilities. Is Desmond connected to a sorceress of Rossick from that planet? Was his mother like a rogue sister who left the Order and that's why he has a vendetta against them.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's still up in the air.
Speaker 2: The proto face answer power that we see sister Theodosia display here. You're right in that what we see is face answer ish, but definitely not as you know, maybe in ten thousand years they've honed the power and it's just a lot easier and it's not what we see here. Yeah, that said, do you think that's where they're going with it, that this is kind of a proto face answer power? And follow up, how do these where do these powers spring from? The voice the face answer power? Where do we think that they come from? Because it appears that people are just born with it and then develop it to the point that they're able to teach other people how to do it. Yeah, where do they come from?
Speaker 1: So as far as the proto face answer things thing goes in the like post episode discussion thing with the show creators, they did refer to it as a proto face answer So that seemingly is the direction they're going with it, that this will have some sort of connection to the face answers of the far future that we know from the books. As far as where the powers come from the voice. In this show, we discussed this in the last couple episodes. Did actually start with Volua, and it's quite accurate to how it was in the books as well. It's a power that she discovered and developed over time, and as you said, honed it into something that could be teachable to her fellow sisters. The face dancers, on the other hand, are actually more of like a biological weapon. They were created by a group called the Benny Playlax, and the Benny Playlax are super gross, but they're very into like biological modifications and genetic modifications, and so they create these mules, these face dancers, through these modifications, through biological and genetic tampering, so that they can have like assassins and spies within the imperium. It's a political tool for them, and so for it to just naturally appear is a little confounding. Also famously, the Benny Jeserit in the future, the Benny Jesuit Order and the Benny Sleaylax are like bitter rivals. They don't like each other. So the fact that this power is appearing within the Sisterhood with the sister it's certainly throwing me off my game. It's nothing that I know about.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Thank you for the lowd doownload. Those fast and of course.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure of Jason, and that wraps it up for our coverage of Dooing Prophecy episode four. Coming up on the next few episodes of x ray Vision, you and Rosie are continuing your coverage of the excellent Skeleton Crew on Disney Plus, and Carmen and Joelle will continue their journey through Robert Egger's filmography with an episode about the Northmen coming up as they work their way up to No.
Speaker 4: S Faratu on Christmas.
Speaker 3: That's different today's episode.
Speaker 4: Thank you all so much for listening by.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Nsumsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Lawn and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez. Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator