Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What a great week this has been capped off yesterday. Great news on Brent Musburger going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Earlier in the week, we found out were nominated for another Sports Emmy. And it's a Meet Friday. By the way, case you're wondering, Firecracker shrimp, Texas style chili, Cowboy rib eyes, barbecue, Blacken swordfish, Azalea cocktails.
Speaker 3: No way, wo how's it better than we do?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: By the way, Dylan, we brought Dylan in. He's lending his expertise in the kitchen. He'd like to be referred to as Chef Dylan. I said, let's try cook Dylan first and see how you fare. But he was in here late last night, long after everybody was at home. I came back all of a sudden, and I go, who left the stove on? Dylan is cooking the Texas style chili. That's the dedication, chef, really, that's the dedication that I love. Commitment to excellence. So that's our Meet Friday menu today. I think that's actually written on his business card. It says Dylan commitment to excellence. Oh no, No, that's not true.
Speaker 3: Are you sure? Yeah? Maybe that's the name of his podcast.
Speaker 2: If you listen to the Gambling Podcast, there's no excellence there at all. Everything's on sale. Go to Danpatrick dot com fifty percent off. We're clearing everything out. This first hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert in the DP Show. Go to tyrac dot com slanges dand try the Tire Decision Guide. Full lineup of Yokohama tires, special offers, free roadhazard protection, mobile tire installation available tyrac dot com. The way tire bind should be. As always stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards to the DP Show. Thank you for the reaction to our visit to Lambeau. We'll be up there for the draft three days at the bar on Homegrown Way. Please come in and visit us. We will have a studio audience all three days, but it's first come, first serve eight seven seven to three. DP Show Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app.
Speaker 3: We will talk to Brent Musberger.
Speaker 2: A little bit later on this morning, Brandal Shambley will join us from Augusta after what we saw yesterday. But let me start with Brent, because every generation has a voice that defines how we remember a game, and for millions of fans, that voice was Brent Musburger, and he's finally getting his due now. The award is called the Pete Roselle Radio and TV Award. Pete Roselle former NFL commissioner, and Brent has been a voice for generation for fifty years. When you think about a Saturday or Sunday, a Monday, and when he would say you are looking live, it was just it sounded like something bigger was going to happen. The Rose Bowl, the final four NFL Sunday is a BCS title game. He had a voice that when you heard it, you knew that something was a little more important, a little more special. The Pete Roselle Award is not just honoring a broadcaster. It celebrates really the soundtrack of a lot of our lives. And Brent gave us moments, he gave us memories. This is long overdue. There are some people at the Pro Football Hall of Fame who reached out yesterday, gave me a heads up before it was officially announced and said, you guys did it. So a round of applause for us, because I just kept thinking, Brent deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, just like John Facenda. Years ago, I realized John Facenda, the voice of NFL Films, was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I reached out to a friend who I've known for thirty five years who works there, and I said, this is an injustice, and she said, I'll put you in touch with David Baker, who ran the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and David said, write a letter. So I go to McLevin and I said, let's put together a letter and send it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Maybe they can give it to the voters and remind them that John Facenda, the voice of the NFL.
Speaker 3: Was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: And then David Baker called the show and said, John Facenda is going in posthumously. I didn't want that to happen with Brent, and every time I would have him on, we saw him in Las Vegas, he came by. He's eighty five years of age, and I said, damn it, we're going to get you in the Hall of Fame. Whatever role we played, and maybe it's a small role, but all I wanted to do is use the platform to remind people that he was not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And when you think about this certain memory you have, the people you remember, the shows you remember, and the impact that they had on you. The CBS pregame show with Brent, I mean, that's the first time I go I can do that. I that's what I want to do. I can have a goal where I'm hosting a show like that. And I never would have thought that. I didn't have direction. I knew I wanted to be in sports, but I saw Brent and I thought, that's what I want to do. But when you think about starting your football Sunday, you started your football Sunday with Brent saying you are looking live. And you know, even now, I never get tired of that, you are looking live. So I'm glad he's going in well deserved. He'll join us a little bit later on. And you know, I tried to get Jim Nantz involved in it, and I think Jim was echoing the sentiments to try to get Brent in as well. So there's a few other people who certainly picked up the baton and use their platform to help Brent or remind people that Brent wasn't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So thank you all the people involved, Patty, Yeah, Appaulinge.
Speaker 5: I go back to two three years ago, we were talking about the award, the Pete Roselle Award, and I think it was Fred Goadelli, the great producer director from ABC, and we looked up and we didn't see Brent's name on the list. We saw like Tom Jackson and Andrea Kramer and Joe Buck and Jim Nance, and it almost looked like this must be a typo. Brent Musburger's name is not on the list of the Roselle Award for contributions to the game as a media member. We actually double checked because we thought we had it wrong, and then we brought it up on air, and every time you said it on air, people would react like how can this be? It's almost like what must have been so obvious that Brent should be in? No one discussed him being in. I can't think of any other reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I don't want to ask Brent why he wasn't in or you know, any of that. We should be looking moving forward with that. But a lot of people got involved in this behind the scenes, and great greatly appreciate that. So we have a poll question today, Play of the Day, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. Your phone calls are welcome. It's a Friday. Everybody's in a great mood. Got to meet Friday. Brent's news, you know, nominated for Sports Emmy, all great stuff.
Speaker 3: So uh seton, what are you gonna go with? And it's such a great time of the year.
Speaker 2: You got golf, the home stretch of the NBA, you got baseball, you got hockey home stretch. You know, we've got the draft, you know, coming up in a couple of weeks. So it's it's really a great time of the year to do this for a living or just be a fan. Seaton, What are we going to go with? First hour?
Speaker 6: Marvin sent went actually based on the Brent Musburger getting into the Hall of Fame. Who should Dan get into the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 3: Next?
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this because my brother, my brother, who is a big music guy, he goes, Okay, you it's your platform to help Foreigner get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because I thought that was an injustice as well, and even met with their lead singer and I'm like, I'm I'm going on my show and I'm going to talk about Foreigner needs to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And then we had John Facenda. Now, Brent, I'm tired. I got to let somebody else do this. Yes, PAULI I got a couple. If you crank it up, man, I don't know. If I have the energy, I'll throw it too.
Speaker 5: For the Pete Roselle Radio and Television Award, these two gentlemen.
Speaker 3: I can't nominate myself, Paul, that's silly.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 5: Oh, if the reward is contributions to growing the game of football, how about Mel Kiper? Yes, again, that's it's not even a question.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we brought this up last year, and we brought this up last year about Mel.
Speaker 5: And Peter King the writer. Sure, yeah, do you want to do one at a time?
Speaker 3: You want to do Mel Piper?
Speaker 2: Absolutely positively, yes, And Peter, you know these are people who are there. You know, it's their lives. It's year round. You know, we get to enjoy football in football season. But with Mel, this is year round. This all Mel does. And then with Peter and now he just retired. But yeah, you're right, those are two great, great examples of people who should be nominated. But definitely Mel Kuiper. He was doing it when people weren't doing this. He changed the draft. Like if you think about what Mel was doing when he was doing it, how he was doing it, and he'd be in his little laboratory and he'd come out with player profiles and he'd say, you know, this guy from this college and this is where he should go.
Speaker 3: And I mean he had his mock drafts. I mean, he did all of this. He had created an entire industry.
Speaker 2: A cottage industry that is now now metastasized into you know, its own sports world. You got a festival at the draft. I go back to first draft I went to was nineteen eighty four, not a bad draft. Eighty three. I was there, but I wasn't working. But you know, you start to think about what it was. They had those helmet phones. No one was really there, you know, players weren't there. Then all of a sudden it just became bigger. Hey, let's televise this.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Now, all of a sudden it becomes Coachella. It's football Coachella. And Meil helped start that. And I invaluable, invaluable resource at the Mothership throughout all those in my eighteen years there, you could always rely on Mil. He would come on and he was always prepared. He always you know, he had direction with everything that he was talking about. He didn't give you sort of half assed answers, like he had done his homework, and his homework was going to stand up to gms who didn't like him, or coaches or players. But he did his homework. So that's a great. Yes, let's get started on Mel. Get started on Mel, and if I have enough energy, then we can work on Peter King anybody else that needs to be I think that's good for now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 6: Are you going to expand out of just the Pete Roselle Award because there's lots of other suggestions here else.
Speaker 3: Sonny Vacaro is a great one.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well I even brought that up to Sonny and I even said it on the show, Michael Jordan, Mike, write a letter Basketball Hall of Fame, Sonny should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Contributions to the game, Sonny Vacaro changed the game.
Speaker 3: And Mike said, actually, I made Sonny so.
Speaker 2: Well, if even if he says that, still write a letter, you know, that would that would carry a whole lot of weight. If Mike says Sonny should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Sonny should be writing a letter for me.
Speaker 2: Really, But but you know, to get it so we're not doing this posthumously. And that's the key, you know, with Brent being eighty five and Sonny is in his eighties as well. What he did for the shoe industry, for coaches, I mean really this was he was doing nil, you know for these coaches before there was a nil anybody else seating that I can help.
Speaker 6: Off of Marvin's list, here we got Dale Murphy. Can you get him into the Baseball Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: I can't why. I love Murph. I think if he had two more home runs then he might get in the What do he ended up with?
Speaker 3: Three ninety eight, we had two MVPs. I love Murph.
Speaker 2: He's one of my favorite people I've ever met in my life, not just athlete. But I don't think that's going to happen. I think he had to have four hundred home runs where they go all right, because then you could kind of put him in there with Fred McGriff and you could say, all right, you know, who else do you have? Because you know Murph was a catcher and probably not a very good catcher. They put him in center field and he became a really good center fielder.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paulie Dan, you know how much round numbers bother me?
Speaker 5: That's the Dale Murphy is the peak of round numbers bother three ninety eight, four hundred. He went back to back MVPs. There was a time when he was the most feared man in baseball and the window was six years five six years. But he had some injuries, he didn't win, They didn't play in big games.
Speaker 2: But man, I love the team, Ralph gar Bob Horner, Braves were fun. Get to go watch them play all the time when I was living in Atlanta. Who else do we have their Seaton Ken Anderson and get him into football.
Speaker 3: That's yes.
Speaker 2: If he if he won that one Super Bowl in Detroit against Joe Montana. He's in the Hall of Fame. I think Annie Anderson was the most accurate quarterback back when I don't think we gave a whole lot of credit to being accurate. I think he had one game where he competed completed twenty one consecutive passes and back then you were throwing deep balls, Isaac Curtis. But yeah, Kenny Anderson, I think is a Hall of Fame quarterback. I do anybody else they're seating, you know, we could start populating more of that listing. Okay, yeah, yeah, the audience may have some suggestions. But man, when I got that news and my friend at the Pro Football Hall of Fame and she said, you did it, And I was like, I saw the press release and I immediately said to the dan Nets and I said, we did it.
Speaker 3: What else eton?
Speaker 6: Actually, speaking of audience contributions, somebody tweeted at us a crazy thought that maybe we'll get to in the next segment.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can take a break. Fun, Yeah, just getting started.
Speaker 2: Man, got emotional about this, But that's your childhood, Like you're seeing somebody who impact acted you greatly, and that's why I think it.
Speaker 3: Uh you know, I was proud to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: All right, Stop crying, Dan, It's a Friday, okay, I will I wasn't crying. It's just kind of emoting a little bit.
Speaker 3: By the way.
Speaker 2: The starting lineup is here, Fritzie playing hurt. We'll get into that coming up. Seaton's here, Marv Paully backroom guys as well. Let's take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right, So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 3: As they say, I'd.
Speaker 9: Say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Got carried away there to start the show talking about Brent going into the Hall of Fame. Then we start talking about other people who should be in the Hall of Fame. I blew right by the headline. So let me reverse course.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: You got Justin Rose leading the show at the Masters, and Scottie Scheffler is still the overwhelming favorite to win at all. Randal Shambilie will join us coming up next hour. The Cleveland Browns have a new quarter back. It's an old quarterback. It's a new old quarterback. Let's say hell low to Joe Flacco again. Yeah, ay, Joseph, Yeah, he led him to the playoffs. Oh, they got Joe Flacco. I don't know what they're doing at number two, but may I don't know if this is there. Well, they're definitely not going to take a quarterback. I have no idea. I still maintain that I hold out hope that maybe Kirk Cousins ends up with the Browns. But they have the second pick in the draft and they've brought back Joe Flacco. How old is Joe Flacco? He's like thirty seven.
Speaker 5: Are we playing the Joe Flacco age game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'm going thirty seven.
Speaker 3: He also like he was thirty six for about four years.
Speaker 5: I got him as thirty nine or thirty one.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: If you're a remember Joe Flacco's a media family, do you say, Dad, what are we doing this summer? Well, We're going to Yellowstone or I'm going to play professional football. It's a coin flip year to year with this guy.
Speaker 2: Well, he was on the couch and then all of a sudden he rescued the Cleveland Browns. Tonight you have Bucks, Pistons, Cabs, Nicks, Rockets, Lakers, Grizzlies and the Nuggets as we get ready to close out the regular season. Still don't know if this TJ watch situation is an actual, actual situation where he gave a peace sign on his Instagram, I believe, and then it was cryptic. He's in the last year of his contract. He's probably looking around and saying, that guy's making more than me, and that guy's making more than me, and that guy's making more than me. Hey, I'm the best defensive player in the game. Well, Miles Garrett Max Crosby got new deals, and he might look around and say, and Michael Parson is going to be making more than he is. I don't know if there's there's anything there. I haven't heard anything one way or another. It just feels like there might be something there. But if you're the Pittsburgh Steelers, first of all, get a quarterback. Second of all, as you move on, do you want to spend thirty five close to forty million dollars on TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt?
Speaker 2: You got the best of his career. It's like Albert Poohols with the Cardinals. You've got the best of he got those ten years and then it was like when the Angels were pooning up the money. The Cardinals, you know, did kind of a well, you know, we'll kind of put out an offer there.
Speaker 3: They didn't want to bring him back. But TJ. Watt, do you want to spend that kind of money? If you're.
Speaker 2: A championship caliber Super Bowl contending team, would you bring in TJ.
Speaker 3: Want?
Speaker 2: If you're the Buffalo Bills, would you bring in TJ Want? Spend that money on him? The answer is yes, But what's he going to cost you there? But I wonder if Pittsburgh says, hey, go out and find something. We don't want to spend that kind of money on you, or they might say we're gonna give you a two year extension, which is what I would do, because he's what thirty. Okay, he was banged up I think last year, but you know, he's got what twenty two and a half sacks in a single season, probably should have another Defensive Player of the Year award on his resume. But you know, this is this is the last time you get a chance to trade him, and maybe there's nothing there. Until I hear otherwise, I'll kind of go with the notion that maybe there is something there, like Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 3: It feels like there's always something there.
Speaker 2: Always he's always got a cryptic, you know, message that he's sending out.
Speaker 3: I think he's going through a divorce.
Speaker 2: Now. I don't think he's going to last in Miami. The question is do you really want him? And at what price? Remember when thirty million dollars he got that deal and we're like, dang, that's a lot of money, and you know, then Kansas City goes we can win without him.
Speaker 3: You're like goll Lee.
Speaker 2: Now that's the beauty of the Chiefs is they kind of reconfigured who they were, their identity, became a running team, pass control team, and a defensive team, defensive team first, and still able to win Super Bowls. Pretty amazing. So that's sort of the football news right now. Not much else going on, but it'll start to heat up. I did reach out to my Cleveland Browns source again and I said, hey, going into the weekend, got anything, And then he says, I can't share anything right now?
Speaker 3: Got to you know, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have anything, and I want to be careful, and so I said, okay, I respect that if we get something that somebody can help me with. Great I'll pass it on to you, all righty, A couple of phone calls in here Buddha in San Francisco. Hi, Buddha, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: No money, Dan, I am attacking this call with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Baby. I just wanted to call in and say congratulations for the Emmy nomination Dan, to the entire team DP show. And I am one hundred per team Seedon. Before I was like Emmy Schmemmi, who cares? But now Dan, I'm lik an Emmy would mean everything for this show. I mean, going up against the behemoths that you guys, all the other entities you guys go up against. I mean it would really cement like the amazing job.
Speaker 7: That you've done and give credit to.
Speaker 10: The trail that you've laid for all the other shows.
Speaker 7: That have followed you guys, and the strengths Dan.
Speaker 10: That I love about this show, and simply how authentic you guys are. I mean, that's that's really it.
Speaker 3: Like you guys.
Speaker 10: It's not scripted, you don't have writers, and I know that's definitely a huge part of why DP Nation has followed you guys for so long, and that's huge. I mean you Seed and Polly Marvin, I mean, even you, Fritzy. They are well we think you are.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, Buddha. Yeah, let us talk to yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, we had a little mishap yesterday, Dan Nets we're out. I guess this was a like a spring training for pickleball because we have the rematch coming up in Green Bay, and all of a sudden and they didn't have their pickleball shoes on. Uh, well, one person didn't have his pickleball shoes on. Okay, we have these unbelievable pickleball shoes. They're made by tyrol t y ro L and they're really about, you know, help to stabilize your feet when you're playing.
Speaker 11: You guys could have reminded me to put them on instead of watching me like destroy my heels.
Speaker 2: Toddy, they gave you these shoes. They're free. You didn't buy them, It's true. And so all of a sudden, Tod and Todd was playing great, Paulie playing great. This was spirited back and forth. I'm going, I'm proud of these athletes. And then all of a sudden, Todd went for the ball and then I could just see him where he came up limping.
Speaker 11: There was like a little drop shot and I was trying to get to it before it downs the second time, and then something went very awry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Todd is limping today? Is is it the planner fascia?
Speaker 11: Yeah, both heels have it, but the left heel is worse. So I'm like kind of limping. I can't put any pressure on my left heel right now. I mean need a short dose of pregnantz.
Speaker 3: Own or something. I don't know.
Speaker 11: I it's something from one's urgentcary yesterday.
Speaker 12: Shocking.
Speaker 11: I know you're with like, why would I go run to an emergency room or something? Yeah, at like seven o'clock last night, I was an urgent care. They took X rays. They told me to ice it and through certain stretches because my calves are very tight, not in a muscular way, just in a you never stretch any way.
Speaker 3: Years old, these things time. You've had two injuries.
Speaker 2: You got injured playing wiffleball and whiffleball, and you got injured playing pickleball practicing pickleball, Yes.
Speaker 11: Elbow injury, whiffleball planter fasciitis playing pickleball.
Speaker 2: That's pretty sad, Okay, are you going to be ready for the rematch at Lambeau.
Speaker 3: I have to be.
Speaker 11: It's not up for to date. It's not a question if I got to play on three toes on one foot, I got to bounce.
Speaker 2: Okay, this effects the bedding line right now, they're they've taken it off the board.
Speaker 3: It's off the board.
Speaker 2: It is because I don't know, I don't know how healthy I saw you. You were in incredible pain. I could see you, know your your facial expressions. It was really heartbreaking but heartwarming that you still wanted to out there and play a few minutes before that.
Speaker 11: I'm slamming shots left and right. I think I hit seating up pretty hard accidentally, like in the foot, and all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: But it's like when when Kobe blew out his achilles and he said, no, I want to go back and shoot the free throws.
Speaker 3: This is almost exactly like that. I'd say, more like a Willis Reed moment.
Speaker 5: But that's okay.
Speaker 2: So no, no, no, like you were Kurt Gibson without the home run.
Speaker 3: Yes, I got it. I got a question.
Speaker 5: Emergency room. If there's an emergency room physician out there is a hurt foot not a torn up foot like it's blown off, but a hurt foot emergency room worthy.
Speaker 2: Well, it is very painful, well, to be fair to Todd, emergencyful.
Speaker 3: And it was urgent care, which is a step a lot. So it's not an emergency room. That's just an after hours kind of place to go. Urgent care.
Speaker 2: That's that's sort of the triple A version of the emergent ero. You're going into urgent care. A couple of phone calls in here, Let's see, how about David in Cincinnati?
Speaker 3: Hi, David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey bo, I'm.
Speaker 7: Going I'm so good. I guess the main question I got it, and I got still on a lot of people's mind is do you feel like Pete will ever make it even though he's passed on County, but we want to do him any good.
Speaker 3: Well, Pete's not getting in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: No, no, not anytime soon, not with this commissioner. And I don't want this to be the topic today, Okay, I don't. We've spent way too much time on it. I've given you my opinion. My opinion hasn't changed. Baseball's embraced gambling. I know all of that we've gone down this road. This is not about Pete Rose today in the Hall of Fame. So you can keep that opinion until a day when maybe there is some kind of movement on this. Let's see Rich in uh, Atlanta, I believe Athens.
Speaker 3: Yes, outside of Atlanta, Hey.
Speaker 13: Rich, Yeah, let's see. So Wilfred Bill Winkenbox. I think he should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is the creator of fantasy football back in the sixties. So you got to think of the generations of people who are watching football strictly because of their fantasy team. And it also created new revenue streams for the NFL with advertising and sponsorship dollars. I just want to know what ch'all thought about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's an interesting suggestion. But there are a couple of people who have laid claim and credit for creating fantasy football. You have to really go back to Rotisserie baseball. Those are the guys who created this. In my mind that they created this fantasy world. But look, I'm I'm all about more. I'm about inclusion. You want to have more people and celebrate more people. That's why I hate when the Baseball Hall of fame will have like one person. And now I don't want to just put somebody in fast track somebody in. But I do love when we celebrate. Had the opportunity to celebrate more people. Gus in Los Angeles, Hi, Gus, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Good morning, mister Patrick. Hope you're the boys having a good day. It's actually Gus in New Jersey today. I got a wedding that I'm attending today. My cousin, like my big brother here, he decided to get married for some reason. Don't know why, but it's this big day today and there's nobody else that I thought than you, mister Patrick, along with the boys. If any of you guys want to give some pearls of wisdom to the man that's going to take the plunge.
Speaker 2: Today, well some of my advice would have probably prevented this so he wouldn't be getting married. But Gus, I think you should be the announcer at the reception. You should introduce the wedding party.
Speaker 4: I mean, he is known as the Mexican Barry White.
Speaker 2: With that equal the Mexican Verry White. Okay, and Gus, what's your friends name?
Speaker 4: Frankie?
Speaker 3: All Right?
Speaker 2: All right, Frankie, it's her day, it's your mother in law's day, and don't complain about anything.
Speaker 3: Everything is great.
Speaker 2: Really, limit your alcohol intake, be present, be in the moment. Go from table to table, say hello to everybody. This isn't your day when you get married. It's not about you. Nobody cares, nobody wants to hear from you. Have fun, engage people. Make sure that the best man's speech is brief to the point. Don't let him get liquored up. But stay in the moment, okay, because it's about her. Everything is about her and your mother in law because they spend all of this time trying to prepare for this. So good luck there, Frankie. Okay, And I've talked so many times about the best man's speeches. One was about fourteen minutes come on, and he just kept telling stories and people were getting up getting drink like they just after a while, it became almost laughable. And that's where you have to play music. You have to play them off the stage, you know, after.
Speaker 3: You really you're over.
Speaker 2: Under should be five minutes at the most, and even then five minutes is a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 6: Important to remember too, that for anyone giving a speech in these moments, you're not as funny as you think you are. And there is this movement over the last thirty years or so, maybe forty years that these speeches at weddings are supposed to be a roast.
Speaker 2: They're not because you're not that funny boy. But the more you drink, the funnier you think you are. I think I'm just gonna go for it. I'm just gonna go don't do that.
Speaker 3: Have you prepared a speech? No, I'm going to go off the cuff. No no no.
Speaker 2: No no no no no no no no speaking of humor, yes, Todd, you haven't.
Speaker 5: I don't drink at all.
Speaker 11: And I think I'm kind of hilarious times I've had like maybe two be years in my life for whatever.
Speaker 3: That's what okay?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you could give a good speech. I think your speech would be too long.
Speaker 11: It would be too long, and I would rhyme it when not everyone loves that. Not everything has to be a poem with rhyme.
Speaker 3: You could do a limerick, could do it. I mean, I'm okay with that. I can't do a fourteen minute no, A bunch of liris No, you can't.
Speaker 2: And I think you have that sensibility to be kind courteous, uh sweet, but your speeches would go way too.
Speaker 11: Long, people rolling their eyes and pretending to yawn or maybe actually on it.
Speaker 5: Yes, wife strife, it just works itself up. Oh, we could do a little rhyme time what rhymes.
Speaker 3: With a null time? Divorce? Main course?
Speaker 11: There you go, before you guys get divorced. Please enjoy your main course.
Speaker 5: We could do that.
Speaker 3: Pre n up. What's up?
Speaker 14: There?
Speaker 3: You go? It rights itself, doesn't make you time.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's take a break here, Okay, take a break. Play the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 5: Oh my God.
Speaker 14: Play the Day Butter looks I got it.
Speaker 2: Play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 14: Check this out to one to Ozuna swung on and crushed deep left field Kapler going back. Here comes some late night dynamite here at Druis bark Oh walk up hold run by Marcello Zuna and the Braves won the game in the series.
Speaker 2: I like that late night Dynamite Braves Radio Network, The Braves Improved two, three and nine.
Speaker 3: Play of the Day brought to you by the great folks.
Speaker 2: Miller like Drafts at the Draft, and we're taking the show there broadcasting live and join us Herd to see bar our friends at Miller like for fi fifty years. Miller like the top pick for beer lovers since nineteen seventy five, the original liked beer.
Speaker 3: Let's see Dino in New York. Hi Dino, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan?
Speaker 7: How you doing good? Shir five nine six? Got a few things. Number One, I'm retired. I'd never tell a guy not to retire, but man, I'm going to miss you when you're gone, When you start talking about those three or four years you got left. I mean, I hope the Dan Net's keep the show going. And maybe the only thing I can think of is Ross Tucker could possibly come close to filling your shoes. But your show is just so much better than all the other sports talk shows, and I don't think we'll see anything like you. And I thank you for how much enjoyment I get out of your show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dono. I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: My pleasure as a kid growing up in the seventies, Being ten years old in nineteen seventy five, having privilege to listen to Brent Musburger was you know, spoiled me for everyone. The guy is just phenomenal back in the day. The NFL today was perfect, you know, a great buttoned up show. You know, it was just special and it made you feel great and not really spurred on my love of football. And as a draft lover, I've seen every single televised draft since ESPN put it on back in the early eighties or late seventies, back when it was on Tuesday mornings. Mel Kiper is definitely deserving of being in the hall. And you know, every year i'd buy his his draft report. Yeah, and you'd call up the number and Mel was doing it out of his kitchen. Sometimes Mel would answer the phone and you'd get to talk to Mel for a couple of minutes, and it was just great. And I'm glad you brought him up. I really think he's he's the next big one that deserves to get in there. And one thing, if you want to mention a player that deserves it, I think the only guy I believe from the all eighties decade. Team that's not in is Lester Hayes.
Speaker 2: Well, for some reason, I thought Lester Hayes was in. I don't have any I'm going to say power or authority or any sway with the voters. Pro football voters are pretty locked in now. They do their homework. It's a really tough job, really tough job because you're arguing for and against players. But when it comes for the Pete Rosel with the TV and the Radio award, then yes, I'm going to get involved in that. And mel Kiper would qualify for that, and mel Kiper would be great as a Hall of Famer and worthy of that, and Peter King as well. So any other suggestions while I have this platform, if I can use it, great, I'll be more than happy to eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, twitter handle a DP show. I saw this story about the Chiefs wanting to be the official Christmas Day team of the NFL. They reached out to the NFL reportedly reached out and said, we want to be the team that plays every Christmas Day. You know, the Lions on Thanksgiving, the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, and then you'll just have another game that's uses on NBC at night. But the Chiefs said, hey, we want to be there every single Christmas Day. Well, the NFL said no. Mike North, the vice president of broadcast Planning for the NFL, talking about the Chiefs on Christmas Day.
Speaker 15: For a team like the Chiefs to volunteer for Christmas while they're busy winning every other super Bowl or whatever it is, and you know, their tight end iss dating the biggest pop star on the planet. Like, sure, the league office would love for the Chiefs the hosts on Christmas every year. Thanks volunteering, boys, But you know, I'm not sure that's become a tradition quite the way Thanksgiving is. I mean, think about what it took for that tradition, right, the Lion since the thirties, the Cowboys since the sixties.
Speaker 2: The league doesn't want see this would be like, yeah, we're gonna let the Chiefs be our official Christmas Day football team. And then you would have people probably criticizing the NFL like why are you letting the Chiefs be Now a lot of these guys don't want to play on Christmas Day. Yeah, Lebron has been playing on Christmas Day for nineteen out of twenty two years, I don't think that he's been in favor of playing on Christmas Day. You get a big audience, big platform there. But here are the Chiefs and maybe the NFL saying we can't let them have what they want. Now, if the NFL came to them and said we want to put you on Christmas Day, then it would be different. But here's once again, Mike North. He sets up the schedule with Howard Katz at the NFL, and he was on the It's Always Game Day in Buffalo podcast about committee to the Chiefs.
Speaker 15: Both from the fans standpoint. You know, I know the Chiefs are raising their hands supposedly, but you know that's a lot to ask your fans come out every year on Christmas. Certainly while you're good and you're winning AFC West titles and fighting for Super Bowls. Yeah, it's easy give You know, if five years from now, after Patrick Mahomes retires and you know they're not the you know, perennial division champion and in every AFC Championship game, I'm not sure we'd want to be, you know, married to a site.
Speaker 2: And I get that, but for the time being, you could unofficially officially lock in the Kansas City Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes. I feel pretty confident over the next five years they'd still be Musty TV and be a very competitive team.
Speaker 3: It's such a great organization that does Andy Reid coach for five more years?
Speaker 2: Probably not. Kelsey's not going to be there. Mahomes will be there. As long as you have Rett Beach as your g you're probably going to have a competitive team. Chris Jones isn't going to be there. I mean, if you really start to look at it, if you have Mahomes, is that enough from US SEETV? But the fact that they wanted to do it at the NFL the NFL, you have to wait for us to tell you that we'll let you do that.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, do.
Speaker 12: You think this is a concerted effort by the Chiefs to try to make themselves even bigger so they can become the Cowboys in twenty years where they have fans everywhere, almost like the Steelers in the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Well, you're seeing these teams who want designated areas in the world, like We're going to be the team in Brazil, We're going to be the team in Germany, We're going to be the team in Ireland. That's how you expand your brand. But if you look back on the Cowboys were always there every Thanksgiving. That's how you become America's team. You were good playing on Thanksgiving. The Lions started out being good back in the thirties, and then all of a sudden, we just accepted that the Lions were going to be playing. They'd be playing the early game where like, oh it's cute, Lions get a nationally televised game. The Cowboys, they became America's team partly due to being there on Thanksgiving seeing them all the time. Seaton, could you update the poll results from the first hour?
Speaker 3: I can I feel badly about it.
Speaker 6: Why worst tot injury pickleball heel or whiffleball elbow? Right now, wiffleball elbow running away with sixty two percent of that vote, but it's trending upward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was kind of sad, and he was playing great. He was dominating wiffleball, and his career may be over. Two more hours on this beat Friday,