Speaker 1: What do you call two guys that were there when this happened?
Speaker 2: Back to return at Spurlock. Michael Spurlock of the Chimok.
Speaker 3: He's still the twenty.
Speaker 1: He's of the twenty five. Parlo thirty to the forty yard line.
Speaker 3: We could see history fifty forty come a thirty yard light.
Speaker 2: Now Michael run, Michael Luck.
Speaker 3: Michael run, touchdown, Tampa Bay. There you go in that shot gun sends wee receivers left. Here's the staff of the glitzer has picked up. Brady Unity caught ball eups.
Speaker 2: He has the record at the eleven yard line.
Speaker 3: Mike Evins becomes the first NFL player in lead history to record them a thousand yards of more of this first seventh season.
Speaker 1: That you want to throw by Brady.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Mike Evens, who can forget looking gas?
Speaker 2: Close up the hats the other side.
Speaker 1: Derek Bucks thirty touchdown.
Speaker 2: Tampa Bay. Derek Books the.
Speaker 3: Most valuable player in the National Football League. There it is Dot Daggers in where are you gonna win the Super Bowl? Here's the snap.
Speaker 2: Mahomes running to his right. Lookout he may run Mahome director Now.
Speaker 3: Battle intercevent picked off with the INDs on Fox.
Speaker 1: I gotta beat the Chief.
Speaker 3: Where the chapters of the world and we still have I'm in a thirty three ago. Damn it, White, what a great second season. That's it for Casey Box. All the Super Bowl champs, they can't stop the plot.
Speaker 1: We call them the Salty Dogs. Welcome everybody to the Salty Dogs Podcast. I am Scott Smith and.
Speaker 2: I am Jeff Ryan.
Speaker 1: Where are the Salty Ducks? Yep, yep, yep, and uh, we're just off the top. You may have noticed we again this week don't have a player guest. We've had a different reason each time. You know, there was the hurricane, and there was the short week. Yeah, this time is because I'm sick. You are and uh.
Speaker 2: And I'm far far away.
Speaker 1: Here's you're distancing yourself as much as possible. I didn't want to stand near a player and risk getting somebody on the rooster sick.
Speaker 2: I th you didn't even sit down for lunch. You took your food and went upstairs, and you've been hiding in your office.
Speaker 1: I didn't go to open locker room. I just would hate to be somebody who is the reason that one of our players couldn't play.
Speaker 2: Maybe that guy.
Speaker 1: I'm still so I'm staying wait till I feel better.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we hope you do feel better.
Speaker 1: But we will have fan questions at the end. Buccaneer fans listeners to this show, and if you want to get in on that, which is a real fun part of the show.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, you now think it's a fun part.
Speaker 1: I have always thought so.
Speaker 2: Even though we're getting massive ones coming in, we don't have.
Speaker 1: His quite as many this week, so I won't be doing any complaining part. You can email us at Salty Dogs at Buccaneers dot NFL dot com. Don't forget the dot NFL in the middle. It's kind of weird, but you got.
Speaker 2: To do it right.
Speaker 1: I'm really gonna need this golf button.
Speaker 2: Today, Joe, I know you're a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, so send us questions or comments or complaints for Jeff probably yeah, more most likely uh corrections. If Jeff mess something.
Speaker 2: Up, you know it's going to happen. You just got to find it. We could almost have like a contest if you can discover where I do it?
Speaker 1: Uh? Is my voice? My voice is more interesting?
Speaker 2: Do you actually sound more manly?
Speaker 1: Yes? More manly? Well, what is that supposed to be and then my voice breaks.
Speaker 2: I know this is not going self explanatory. Okay, right, what do you got?
Speaker 1: Uh, well, you know, obviously we're gonna be talking about a game that did not go the Buccaneers' way in many many ways. It's either losing, uh in pretty convincing fashion to the Ravens, or losing Mike Evans injury, or losing Chris Godwin to injury would have been a very bad night.
Speaker 2: You could have won that game and it would have been a bad night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the fact that all three of those things happened means it was. It was the worst weekend of the year so far for the Buccaneers. Chris Godwin unfortunately is out for the season. Coach bowls led A left a very small window of the possibility he could return, Uh if we made a deep playoff run.
Speaker 2: When we go in deep into the playoffs, Yeah, kind.
Speaker 1: Of like Vita vah in the Super Bowl year.
Speaker 2: So uh, it's I get confused because they changed the rules all the time. So I'm gonna go take a step back. I are you can I are someone, But that doesn't mean they're out for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can designate them for a return, and then they have to miss a minimum of four games.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how many times? How many players a year can you that?
Speaker 1: I wish, I wish, I'm that I think it might be eight. Okay, So it's more than it's always more than enough.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So and one guy can't do it twice, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So Jamel Dean went on I R but he's on the four week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, minimally hopefully hopefully before with him.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then I mean you technically could do it with Chris too, but we already know he's not going to make it back.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He had a badly dissocated ankle which caused some other damage that they discover when they did surgery. Did you see the footage of him being carted off and talking to Johnny y? Yeah, I see what he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said, back to work, back to work, John, And and I spoke with John Tuesday Tuesday morning and brought that up that, you know, Mike saying that, I said, here you are, rather Chris saying it that here you are probably the worst feeling ever, and already you're talking about back to work. Chris. That's exactly what John said. John said, that is a type of individual Chris is. He can take it and go, Okay, I have an injury, what is my next step. He's already moved on from oh my gosh, I have an injury to back to work. We're going to rehab it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure there's emotions there, but he's able to do.
Speaker 2: Both and he has a great support system.
Speaker 1: And he's been through it so then kind of knows what it's going to take. And it's just a shame. I mean, this happens. It's not like Chris is the first guy that's something like this has happened to. But when it's closer to you, it just hit so hard because he came back from that knee injury.
Speaker 2: And he's been having a great year.
Speaker 1: He was good in his blood like two in the next two years, but this year he's back to like peak Chris Godwin twenty nineteen for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he would have stayed on pace, I think we did the math and it was over. Can we have over fifteen hundred yards? I think you're talking about that.
Speaker 1: They could have broken the team record, and he's got he probably almost certainly would have broken the team record for receptions because he has fifty, which leads the NFL through seven games.
Speaker 2: So he's and he was back playing the position that he had all of his success was a slot receiver, so it was.
Speaker 1: Just working so well. It was he was leading the league in yak yards after the catch, And that's why when they say things like next man up, and we have confidence in these young receivers who will be talking about it here in a little bit, Uh huh, it's all true, very but it's also true. Two things can be true. That it's there are certain players that give you something that there's nobody else on the roster can give you.
Speaker 2: That's true, So you're basically playing a different game.
Speaker 1: I mean like when Graham Barton missed a game, we had Robert Hainsey who had two years of starting experience.
Speaker 2: At that position and did very well in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: If Tyke Smith misses this week's game because he has a concussion in which he probably will in a short week.
Speaker 2: He was on the sideline during the walk through but not practicing, but not practicing.
Speaker 1: If he can't play, then he's that's our slot corner, but our slock corner from all of last year. Christian is is right there, So in some places you have a good one for one replacement. You know, if Antoin Winfield can't play, Christian iision did a nice job. Well, Winfield's out, but that's not the same kind of player, correct, But why if Vitavea couldn't play, we don't have another guy like that.
Speaker 2: But Christian had the opportunity to play last year to get up the speed. And I think that's what Trey Palmer example, last year, got to get in and play some when he was a rookie.
Speaker 1: Zi McCollum and look how well.
Speaker 2: Zion's playing now. So there's a downside, but there's also an upside.
Speaker 1: My point being, Chris Godwin and Mike Evans are knocked out, and yes, we have some other talented receivers and hopefully Liam Cohen and Baker Mayfield can make it work with those guys, but you don't have another Chris Godwin. No.
Speaker 2: And what gets taken away in my mind is like with Mike, you don't have the alley ball, right, You're not gonna You're not gonna just throw it and say Mike's gonna get it, because that's basically what you would do, so you don't have that particular play.
Speaker 1: And with Chris, but at least Mike's gonna be back right probably after the week eleve them by.
Speaker 2: And with Chris, if you needed the third down, he was there, he was getting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, is it is it? Is it Kate Otten who came in and played very well at the end of the first hundred yard game last last Sunday or Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, I mean Mike was already out of that game, and so Baker needed somebody else.
Speaker 2: To throw to, and and and man Kate took some shots. Yes, yes, yeah, I'm looking for the fines this this week. I'm just curious who gets fine for what since you made it common about well.
Speaker 1: From what I read, it seems quite possible that Rokwan Smith will be fine because there are people online showing that clip and saying this is a the textbook example of the now banned hip drop tackle.
Speaker 2: I will say this in real time, as we watched it and did the broadcast, we thought it was did you, Yeah, because if part of it is you, you know, you understand what what that play is. Now in real time, it's hard to really see. I mean, the officials aren't going to call something like the analysts there. It's it's just so so obvious. But just because there's not a flag on it doesn't mean oh, it didn't happen and you can't get fined.
Speaker 1: There has not been a single hip drop flag thrown yet this.
Speaker 2: Season, and I guess they're afraid to throw it. I know, I'm not sure why.
Speaker 1: The conjecture that I read and hear is that because there are like there's like four separate things that you have to see. You know, it has to be you have to do this, you have to unwait yourself, you have to land on the back, was like, right, and all all of those elements have to be in there for it to be a flag, and it's just really hard for the rest to see it. So they're not sure. It's like, I'm not sure he unweighted himself. For me, did he really land on his on the back? Was like, so they're not calling it. But when these things are reviewed, there have been something like twenty two Before this week, there was something like twenty two plays that were reviewed to see if they were hiptot tackles, and I think eight of nine of them were and so those players got fined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think this one's gonna go that way. That's my opinion.
Speaker 1: Just I mean, it doesn't help anything. No, it doesn't bring Chris back.
Speaker 2: No, I was I was saying, if you get caught, I mean what maybe this is where ironic comes in.
Speaker 1: Oh, you better be careful because I'm.
Speaker 2: I okay, so I know, but you're not feeling well, so I might sneak.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, but you set me up. Who prepared me for it?
Speaker 2: When the NFL sent out what a hip tackle is. When they sent it out, they sent video out to educate people in the media of what it looks like and what to watch for. And the Ravens were part of that example of what that looks like. They used raven players. Yeah, real, irony, that's not what is that?
Speaker 1: Okay? For the million times irony irony deals, it is not about coincidence.
Speaker 2: It's about oh that's a coincidence. Quiet, It's a state.
Speaker 1: Irony is a state of affairs that is the reverse of what was to be expected. So the fact that they used a Ravens example of a hip drop tackle.
Speaker 2: Look, can't talk tackle drop tackle.
Speaker 1: And then a raven did. It is not unexpected. You have ever told you a great George Carlin explanation about it again. If a diabetic on his way to buy insulin is killed by a runaway truck, he is the victim of an accident.
Speaker 2: If it's a sugar wait, if the truck.
Speaker 1: Was delivering sugar, he is a victim of an oddly poet a coincidence, because sugar already was going is a problem for that guy, Okay, get it. So that's not ironic because sugar already is a problem. But if the truck was delivering insulin, ah of irony because you would expect the delivery of insulin to his pharmacy to help him, and it's dead. It kills him.
Speaker 2: That's good. I like it, Okay. But anyways, they are an example of that type of tackle, So that is illegal in the NFL.
Speaker 1: To get back to Chris Godwin, he was on pace for one hundred and twenty one catches this year. Our team record is one hundred and six and Chris got close already once in his career at one hundred and four in twenty twenty two, and probably would have got it. But remember that was the game. We were eight and eight and it we didn't need to beat Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Right, so we pulled all our starts at the end of the game.
Speaker 1: Or not at the end of the game. Well, like most of them didn't play in the second half, so he didn't play in the second half. He needed three more catches to break Keisha on Johnson.
Speaker 2: Sure, I hope he didn't have a clause.
Speaker 1: Clause Yeah, uh, probably not something as specific as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he would.
Speaker 1: Have blown it out of the water. Probably this year. Do you remember that Keisha on you when he caught one hundred and six passes.
Speaker 2: I do, But he only had like one touchdown, that's correct. Yeah, I remember that, and.
Speaker 1: He was kind of he was kind of touchy about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was, well, he.
Speaker 1: Was salty about that. It is just saying he had eight touchdowns the year before and five the next.
Speaker 2: It was really fluky. But yeah, yeah, I got a lot of catches but only one touchdown. Don't think you get paid on that. Yeah, I think it's more important to have touchdowns. But that's just that's just me. What do I know.
Speaker 1: Well, one could say that his twelve hundred and sixty six receiving yards, probably set up other people for touchdowns.
Speaker 2: So that what would it would be the math of he had one hundred and six catches and one touchdown, So.
Speaker 1: That's one touchdown an every one hundred and six catches.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that would just be that. It wouldn't be any like, you can't do any other fancy math to it.
Speaker 1: You want to know what the percentage is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I wanted, was the percentage? Thank you? You know, just out of curiosity.
Speaker 1: Point nine zero point nine percent of his.
Speaker 2: Case almost the same as mine.
Speaker 1: You're also under one. Yeah, just like Keishan. There you go in touchdowns, there you go. Let's see in whatever year that was two thousand and one, that was the first year that we had Simeon Rice. And the reason I'm saying is now, and of course getting off in a tangent, is did you see the news today?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: So every year they start in like September with a preliminary group of candidates for the next Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what's funny about that? I just it's there, it is on my screen. I didn't I didn't open it.
Speaker 1: So this year there were more than usual because they've started. They they formed a new Modern era player Screening Committee, and I think it's so guys don't fall through the cracks, because we've talked before. Somebody has to nominate you to get you on that list. And we discovered some years ago We're like, why is Simeon never on that list?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: And then we as somebody called the Hall and said, well, nobody ever nominates him. So we nominated him and we did some you know, we did a push you through the media to try to get him, and we did get him to the semifinals one time, but then he slid back off. But that to me, him making it getting nominated and making it to the fifty, which was also voted by this new screening committee, is a really good sign. I'm not saying Simon has got a great chance to be in the Hall of Fame, but at least he's getting considered right. And to me, one of the things that tells you what a great player is is if he dominates the league in some category for a long stretch of time. And from nineteen ninety eight through two thousand and five, Simeon Rice had one hundred and one point five sacks, which was the most in the NFL, more than Michael Strahan, more than Jason Taylor. Both were in the Hall of Fame more than Kevin Carter, well a lot more so. Only Strayhan and Taylor were kind of close. One hundred one point five sacks in an eight game stretch. He finished with one hundred and twenty two in his career. So I don't know. We'll we'll if he gets we'll probably dig up the stuff we used to use and put it out there again if he makes it to the next level, which would be twenty five next month.
Speaker 2: Ruben Brown played for US.
Speaker 1: Didn't know Lomas Brown.
Speaker 2: Lomas Brown, okay.
Speaker 1: Lomas Brown, and Logan Makings, who were briefly with US, are also on the list.
Speaker 2: Logan Makings, there.
Speaker 1: Was no work done. There was no Mike hal style.
Speaker 2: And because of Ronde, not because of Ron Day. I'm mentioning this because of Ron Day. Tiki. Tiki's on on the on there for running backs, not not because.
Speaker 1: Randy very much believes Tiki should be in the all.
Speaker 2: Of Oh no, yes, but he's got some good argument right. Not just being a twin, yes, wow, that would really be something special. Not only twins.
Speaker 1: I gotta believe that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only being brothers in the Hall of Fame twins.
Speaker 1: There's got to be no other set of twins in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I feel comfortable saying, well, I'm gonna find out.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's another green sports car and it's not the same one. What is that all the green sports That car is black?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: The one directly that's facing us, parked in backwards?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's uh, that looks like a charger, or rather a Challenger. That looks like a new Challenger with big tires. It does very large tires. We're overlooking the player parking lot, not the employee park.
Speaker 1: And that's not the same green car because Heavier's car is a lot brighter than that one's like neon green is all the green.
Speaker 2: That green's more like a forest green.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you might see. It's not camouflage, but like you might see mixed in the camouflage. I have I have something to say about people who always back into parking spots. I do you always back in?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why, it's just easier to just slide in back out. I do it because the way the sun goes and so it's not beating on my front windshield on my truck so much.
Speaker 1: Just get one of those screens.
Speaker 2: I have one.
Speaker 1: Well, then you don't need to do.
Speaker 2: But the majority of the sun is behind my truck in the parking lot that I sit in.
Speaker 1: So here's my argument here. There are times when backing in makes sense, Like maybe you're in a really crowded concert and you know that there's going to be a lot of traffic just trying to get out of your parking spot, so you'll be at advantage if you can pull straight out, or if you have a truck that overhangs the back of the you know, the curb, so if you weren't parked that way, you would stick out a lot farther. That kind of thing. But parking backing into your parking spot every single time doesn't make sense. You're gonna one way or another or the other. You're gonna have to pull in. You have to pull in straight or once and back out once. If I pull in straight, then I'm gonna have to back out. If you back in now, you're backing in and then you can pull out straight either way, you're backing in once. You're backing in or out once and pulling in or out once I understand it's harder when you're backing into a parking spot. You're trying to get in between those two lines right there. When you're backing out of a parking spot, you got all time. Oh that green cars leaving, You've got all kinds of time to move, I mean all kinds of room to back out into it. It's a lot harder to back into the parking spot than to back out of it. Okay, so there's no reason for you to back in every time.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of us and I look out in this parking lot that back in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they haven't thought it through. Wow, all right, email us if you have an opinion on this, like I my I don't use my turn signal. Opinion was not very popular.
Speaker 2: Well know it wouldn't be. And I don't think whether you back in or not back in, it's not gonna be very popular.
Speaker 1: You don't think so, no, somebody else. If you agree with me, please email us if.
Speaker 2: You if if it takes you forever to try to back in, then I say, hey, you know what, Oh so you're just really good at it. You're just I'm very good at it. I drive better backwards than I do forward.
Speaker 1: That's not a good thing. And I can parallel park. I'm a great parallel I can parallel.
Speaker 2: Park left if if I'm in a one way on the left hand side, I can do it that way or right. Yes, I can too. I'm very good at that, me too. One try put it in everything.
Speaker 1: You don't have to go back and forth. You just slide it in and you're there.
Speaker 2: Back up until you're even with the rear of that other car. Have your wheel cocked all the way and as you go, slide it back and boom you're there.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Don't overthink it, all right.
Speaker 1: So I had a very unenjoyable experience in my car on Monday night, which you are aware of.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you spent quality time.
Speaker 1: Who knows here? Who listening knows? The layout of where are where? The advent Hell Training Center is our facility that we're in right.
Speaker 2: Now, Raymond James Stow.
Speaker 1: It's like a mile away.
Speaker 2: I don't even think it's a.
Speaker 1: Mile there, and it's just crossing some parking lots. I have to. So I was supposed to be on the radio for Jeff at six o'clock and I left here right here at five to ten yep, and I had to sprint through the press box just to make it with like a minute to spare. And we didn't actually go at six. It was more like six oh three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had text them and said keep talking until I tell what I tell you when Scott gets there.
Speaker 1: So that's incredible. It took me fifty minutes to drive less than a mile.
Speaker 2: However, I will say this guy, it's Monday night football traffic is That's why.
Speaker 1: I thought leaving it five. I wouldn't. I would normally left it five.
Speaker 2: There have you ever left here at five o'clock on a I don't ever leave here at four o'clock at five o'clock. Look out your window and watch how backed.
Speaker 1: Up the rest reason I don't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why on Bunday when you did it, it's even worse because we have a Monday night game.
Speaker 1: I still thought fifty minutes was enough time. I couldn't believe it. Part of the problem was I got stuck. The Ravens buses were being escorted by the police, so.
Speaker 2: We missed several When the team does that.
Speaker 1: We missed several cycles and there are long, long cycles at that intersection. It's turned to the stadium.
Speaker 2: It's not fun when you're getting held up because team buses go unless you're on the team bus.
Speaker 1: Even then it's not fun. Well, I think the bus rides are the worst part of travel. I've felt that way since ninety two.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: I wish you could get rid of that. And we have a little bit remember we used to well, of course remember if you don't know out there. For many years we parked here whatever reacting, and then buses took us to the airport. Now we park at the private airport yep, right on the tarm right on the tar, so when we get home, you don't have to ride the bus.
Speaker 2: And it's very I think we should have a a video of departure out of the off the tarmac after a game. It's very exciting how many cars are trying to inch their way in and out because you're stacked up against each other. So all right, so what else you get about this Monday game? Well, you know I started good, It started really fourteen.
Speaker 1: And fourteen and nothing what happened? What did we not succeed on?
Speaker 2: We got a holding penalty on a guy that holds all the time, that would be Tristan.
Speaker 1: Did you see that replay? We can't criticize officials, No, but that was If you're at home and you saw the replay, you're probably saying a few choice words.
Speaker 2: I think the last holding call was like seventeen hundred snaps ago in twenty twenty two was his last holding call.
Speaker 1: I'm not a referee, so I'm probably wrong, but it didn't look like old. So that erased to Chris Godwin touchdown. And then uh, then we didn't. Then we had to pick in the end zone where you probably would have scored at least three points.
Speaker 2: On that well heard, Yeah, we heard about that as you well, did you lose your train?
Speaker 1: Thought?
Speaker 2: Well, I was trying to remember it. The one we had to pick in the end zone, uh, where we were on the three yard line then, and Baker had all the time in the world. It was a scrambler and he was waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, and he decided to throw And even Baker said after the game on Bucks radio that he should have he should have thrown it away. He needs to know. And as Dave Dave Moore put it, he said you got to know when the journey's over with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean he always owns up to when he thinks it's an interception is a bad play.
Speaker 2: And not only did you lose the seven, but you also lost the three. There are potential three so that but.
Speaker 1: It started so good. We for the fourth game in a row.
Speaker 2: Yes, scored, scored a touchdown, touchdown on the first possession, I know. And what I love about it is that the Ravens won the toss and gave us the first possession, and we just marched right down. So that's always good.
Speaker 1: I thought we won the toss.
Speaker 2: No, they did check.
Speaker 1: You know how you like to say you were just saying a little bit while ago. You know, you can probably pinpoint the part where I was wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, you check, you check and look up on the sheet and you'll see we lost the toss.
Speaker 1: Allow me to do a little light reading from the play by play. Okay, first quarter, very first entry, Tampa Bay wins toss. Oh darn alecs to receive and Baltimore alects to defend the north. So there you have it. Folks, didn't wait that long. It was it the other game was it was the other game. Oh okay, yeah, that other game. Yeah, no, we've We've had both situations happen because we have decided we want the ball first this year, so when the other team, I think the majority of teams still do the defer thing. Yeah, so I think we're going to have the ball to start the game.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that anyway, we.
Speaker 1: Had gone twenty straight games without scoring a touchdown on our first drive.
Speaker 2: And they have now done it four games in a row, which is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: Thank you for finishing that thought for me. I was.
Speaker 2: Dying over there in my throat. Take a deep breath. Just relax, don't do anything crazy, you know, I don't want to lose you in my office?
Speaker 1: Is okay?
Speaker 2: You feel better?
Speaker 1: Not really?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I feel you know who? I feel bad for, Jeff. I think I just gave it away. I feel bad for my wife. And this is not a brag. It's it's a it's a thing I'm happy about. I'm lucky. I'm just lucky. I virtually never get sick. Yeah, and Giselle and my son Alex gets sick the normal amount of times, so I him never of any help when they're sick because I don't know what to do, and when I get sick, I'm not very good at it. Other than COVID. I don't think I've been had a cold in like seven eight years. So I feel bad for her that she has to deal with me.
Speaker 2: I wholeheartedly agree with you on that. I could not agree with you more. She is a saint. She had that on that aspect.
Speaker 1: She's a saint in a lot of aspects.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. I like to hear that. So what else you got?
Speaker 1: So so the game starts, we get a gift, we get the first great first drive, right, Mike Evans scores is one hundred touchdown. How excited to become the eleventh player in NFL history to do that. He's also now just the tenth guy with over twelve thousand yards receiving yards and one hundred touchdown catches. Everybody else is in the Hall of Fame. Essentially he should be too. Oh he will be, there's no question anymore. But I do wonder if this absence is going to cause him to miss his thousand.
Speaker 2: Yards unless some big games. If he yeah, if he comes back, let's say, fortunately, the best case you could hope for is after the bye week, he has eight games he would have to do. No, he would have seven games left after the buye, so he would have to do at least what one hundred and some he's got.
Speaker 1: He's got three d and thirty five.
Speaker 2: So yeah, close to one hundred per game, which is not not likely. Yeah, it's not likely. It's not undoable.
Speaker 1: You know, he has to be a couple of big ones.
Speaker 2: He got to hit. Yeah, he's got to hit a couple of yacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's always that game or two here there where the other team decides, well, we're just not gonna let Mike Evins beat us, and Baker has to go elsewhere with the Paul right. So unfortunately that streak is is a very big jeopardy because of this injury. Of course, well you know what the mic and the players care about is winning. Of course, not that, but it would have been nice to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not over with yet, so we keep pressed.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll be rooting for him, and then and then and then they get the ball and we get him off the field quickly. And Samar Jackson had been sex seven times in the first six games, and then we got him two plays in a row on the first drive, and I wrote that down at the time, thinking this is great. Yeah, but then we never got any more. No, that guy is just so hard to catch, even when you get a good.
Speaker 2: Ruk get it, even if he's in your gasp before he's.
Speaker 1: Near you, Right, you got a free run at him, and then where do you go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then unfortunately, from that point on it was not pleasant.
Speaker 1: Now there was a lot of yeah, yeah, we had a difficult unstopping them, much as we did against Atlanta.
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken, and if I am, you'll correct me. They went twenty seven straight unanswered points, so they did, I believe so, so that got a little scary.
Speaker 1: Well, actually it may have been thirty four unanswered points, was it? I remember to be in twenty seven?
Speaker 2: Well, at one point I didn't even want to look at it because it became very, very frustrating that the opportunities were there. Also, the big runs that Baltimore had, it was just so close on a tackle. It's like if you if you know, but that's the difference. They are a phenomenal running team. However, you thought the way the game started that Okay, this is going to be good the defense is there, and then it wasn't there. And Todd talked about that today too, about what the defense needs to do to shore things up.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about it before the game. Baltimore came into that game with a ridiculous fifty eight yards. They gave up a game fifty nine. They had a ridiculous rushing advantage of one hundred and forty six point three yards per game because they were averaging like two hundred and five, damn.
Speaker 2: It, and we stopped them. I can tell you that right now.
Speaker 1: And in the things seem to be going well in the first half. In fact, at the end of the first half, we had an eighty five sixty nine advantage in rushing yards, which seemed like an awfully great thing.
Speaker 2: Right, And we also had time of possession. We were at eighteen minutes and twenty four seconds and they were at eleven thirty six.
Speaker 1: Well, we did end up with a real good by the end of the game time of possession. But that has something to do with it. I scoring quickly.
Speaker 2: You know, if only football was like three quarters and it went one, three four, we.
Speaker 1: Would be really really good. Second quarter.
Speaker 2: The second quarter is killing us. I don't understand why.
Speaker 1: But if we did that, then everybody would know that the third quarter is really the second quarter.
Speaker 2: Well is that like the fourteenth floor is really the thirteenth floor?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: They just checking?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean we were doing a good job, but that's you know it, when they get eighty one and thirty nine yard runs, that's going to change the stats.
Speaker 2: In our Yah, we scored ten in the first, they score seventeen in the second. We score zero in the second, which, yeah, we were.
Speaker 1: Up ten to zero at one point and we were down thirty four ten. So they did score thirty four straight points and then we kind of got back into it a little bit. Yeah, why and that and that? Okay, So that leads to the big probably the biggest discussion we have.
Speaker 2: All Right, all right, I have to I have to take a deep breath.
Speaker 1: You know where I'm going with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's why I have to take a deep breath so I don't say something that's really gonna upset a lot of people. So I'm just.
Speaker 1: Gonna take a deep breath. You know what. I've seen message boards, and we've been doing press conferences. I've seen tweets, Twitter, conversations. There's a lot of people. There's a lot of people who are on the side that you and I are going to come down on here on the stasion. I bet most of the people listening know exactly what I'm about to talk about. Chris Godwin got hurt on the last drive of the game, and at the time, there was what like a minute and a half left something like that, and the Buccaneers were down by ten. Yeah, there was, let's see, there was. There was one minute left when that play started. The Bucks were down by ten. And immediately at the press conference afterward, and then there's some other venues, Todd Bowles took some heat by people who thought that Chris Godwin shouldn't have been in the game, which is an awfully nice bit of hindsight. Right then, there was a lot of backlash to that concept from a lot of local media like Dan Patrick or his show, people like that.
Speaker 2: The national media went, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: This is the same coach who last year in the Detroit playoff game was ripped by our media for not calling the third time out after Baker's interception when the Lions are kneeling it out, we only have one time out left, and they were already in field goal range because the interception was deep in our endo the field. So the best case scenario, if you use that time out, as they still have two other plays to run off most of the clock, you might get the ball back with ten seconds left and you're probably down by ten points. But he should have kept trying because you never know, right then, why is he getting ripped for still trying down ten points with a minute left? We had already successfully covered an on side kick if you can score quickly, like, let's say we get a nice let's say instead of being tackled, perhaps illegally, Chris Godwin breaks that one out and gets down to like the thirty five. Yeah, we could just go ahead and kick the field goal.
Speaker 2: Right, then right, and then try it.
Speaker 1: And then down by seven, then try an onside kick and if you get it, yeah, at the least he'll have a hell merry or two. Right, It's it's almost certainly not gonna happen. No, just like nothing was going to happen if Todd calls that last time out in Detroit.
Speaker 2: And you didn't think anything was going to happen on the on sidekick when you tell everybody, hey, we're going to do an on side kick, and there he goes, Hey, here's the on side kick, and then we get the ball back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm just saying, if you know, in that situation, you play that game one hundred times, you probably don't win any of them.
Speaker 2: Maybe one I can I understand that fodder. The one one that got me was the question of basically, don't you have an obligation to protect your players? That I thought was out of line. And and why I say that is unfortunately, in the NFL you can get hurt on the first play of the game or the last play of the game. And to phrase it that way, I don't understand the thought processes rather than hey look at me.
Speaker 1: The Buccaneers and other teams in the NFL know that football is a rough sport.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It leads to a lot of injuries, and they do their best in many ways to try to protect their players. You know, we have all kinds of training staff and strength staff. We have equipment people. They're always trying to NFL is always trying to come up with new ways to make the equipment, make things safer, like guardian caps. If you choose to wear one, right, but you can't you protect them. It's like when you send your kid off to college. You can give them all the advice in the world and hope he fouls it. When you're hoping for the package, you can make one mistake.
Speaker 2: And the thing is is that if it was a game time eyeing drive and you get hurt, the person is still hurt, right, And and that's where I'm you know, the person is still hurt, doesn't matter what the score was, and you can say, wow, you shouldn't be in there. Well that's the problem. It's not the problem, but that's the NFL. Every player knows when they go out. But if you play scared, you're gonna get hurt, as they always say. But I I don't if it's so frustrating me. I got so much more I want to say, but I'm not going to it. So I'm gonna I'm gonna contain myself. I promise myself that I don't. I just think it was an I personally don't believe it was a legitimate question. I think it was a hey, look at me question.
Speaker 1: Well, the first question was fine because it is a it's a legitimate thing that people are thinking about, yeah we should you right, great player gets hurt in a in a situation where you were you were probably weren't going to win, but maybe but probably not. It's fine to ask the coach did you think about pulling christ Godwin? And then you let him say his piece, explain why he did not, and there you go, whatever it is, you have your story.
Speaker 2: I thought that I'm one hundred nothing wrong with.
Speaker 1: Asking that question. No, but but I disagree with the premise that it was wrong, and you disagree with some of the way the phallops were worded.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm just the obligation of aren't you supposed to protect your players? I just that to me, was you know you could have you could have got the same result by as you just said, and did you think about pulling your starters at that point in the game.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much how the first question was it was perfectly fine?
Speaker 2: Or why didn't you?
Speaker 1: Todd gave his reason, right, I mean, you're trying to win the game. Don't we want to win? Don't we want our coaches trying to win the game until it can't be won.
Speaker 2: It's an unfortunate it's whenever a player gets hurt, it's it sucks, it's and.
Speaker 1: Especially once the guy that's having such a great year has already been through this once doesn't deserve this. Clearly hurts your team a lot. And he's such a great dude, right right, So you hate you hate to see I mean, there's not a lot of guys on this team that aren't great guys. Well.
Speaker 2: And the other side of the coin too, is that you know when they were talking about you know, I saw things about with Mike, you know, while they rushed him back. Which what people don't really fully understand is a player has a say in whether they can go or not. You know, the training staff worries about whether a guy could go or not.
Speaker 1: My understanding is it may not may not have been a your usual hamstring.
Speaker 2: And always upward strain, yes, correct, it.
Speaker 1: Was more like a contusion or something. So he wasn't by playing on the injury.
Speaker 2: He wasn't He wasn't furthering damage.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, obviously it could be aggravated because he did, but it wasn't like you brought back from a hamstring injury a week too soon. It really wasn't that type of hamstring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is confusing. I understand that, sure, but at the end of the day, it was sad to lose Chris, and I think that's what hurt the most, is that. But I just don't like, you know, the organization in all football is designed, as you said, to protect the.
Speaker 1: Players as much as you can, right right, right.
Speaker 2: So first play, last play.
Speaker 1: It's just like you're trying to I don't like to make war knowledgies when it comes to foot.
Speaker 2: No, I don't either.
Speaker 1: But if you're if you're going into battle, you try to give your soldiers whatever it helps to protect them, correct, But you know what could happen.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, and all of that that is that is.
Speaker 1: We don't normally we're doing this on Wednesday, Yeah, because of the weird schedule after a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're doing the same thing I am. I just saw the injury, right, well, I have to tweet it out.
Speaker 1: Oh, normally I wouldn't be doing that.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't even say what it is. Yeah, go ahead, pain durham or tight end. He did not practice. My Evans hamstring did not practice. William Goldston knee limited, Bucky Irving toe did not That's the one that's going to catch ye. Rakeeem Jarrett wide receiver knee. He full practice, which is good news. Ty Key Smith concussion, did not practice.
Speaker 1: Now, the Buccaneers actually held a walk through today, which is a common thing to do on a short week. And but so those are estimations. Had the Bucks full speed practice, it'd be different. These guys would not have practiced.
Speaker 2: So but it is Wednesday, it's early. They did play a Monday night game, so they're only two days removed. So that's also the other aspect of of injuries. You can't really you have to kind of. I think Friday is the big day that I look at.
Speaker 1: That's well, of course that's one where you get the out and all that, right.
Speaker 2: So that is all coming together. And for Atlanta, tell me who didn't practice again, who did not practice? Pain Durham did not practice, Mike Evans did not practice, Bucky Irving did not practice, and Tyger Keith Smith did not practice. There you go, tweet scent, look at you double dirt, Yeah asking here, yeah, getting it done, making it great. So but I also thought it was interesting that the national media jumped on it of saying, what are you guys talking about? Which was which usually with the national media, they take the the I don't want to say the lead, but they kind of follow what the local media saying because the local media is here, what yeah, and so they kind of look at it that way. But on Monday on the Dan Patrick Show, he jumped all over that, and on Sirius XM on the NFL channel, they were jumping all over it.
Speaker 1: You know, I know you didn't like the way a couple of those questions were worded, But in terms of the issue in general, it's perfectly fine for yes, there to be disagreeing minds here. I'm just sharing my opinion that it was reasonable for them to still be trying to win the game even though it was a very small percentage that it would happen.
Speaker 2: I think it's the protection, don't you have?
Speaker 1: And yeah, that was also Mike Evans is already out of the game. I'm sure there was some times we were running four wides there we only had four wives. We just didn't have a lot of.
Speaker 2: Receivers left right right because.
Speaker 1: Cam Johnson was one I are, so we only had five receivers to start the game, and then one of them went down in the first half. So you don't have a lot of options at that point.
Speaker 2: Right, I just I just think that with I guess after a game, maybe maybe maybe my irritation is this. I don't like it when it becomes personal. I don't like you know, when the I can question was did you ever think think about pulling him out? Like you said those type of things. I'm not I'm not making it personal. But when you say do you have an obligation to protect your players or something like that, that's now a personal thing.
Speaker 1: Well, to play Devil's Advocate, A person could say, I don't think that was a personal question. It was just a follow up, straightforward question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know you would disagree with that, and I don't know how I feel.
Speaker 2: But right.
Speaker 1: In any case, but that's it's perfectly fine for us to disagree. Yes, And that's what my opinion is. As I have just said, it was perfectly reasonable for Crystill to be in the game, and it would have been fine if he'd pulled him out too. I would have been whatever the coach thinks is best in that situation. I get it.
Speaker 2: So and here's and here's the good part. We have had a discussion and we are not yelling at each other. So look at that, look at us. We're making improvements and maybe the way things are done that you can have a discussion and you don't have to yell and scream and you can say, wow, this is my view of it, and this is mine.
Speaker 1: And that's we're getting to see who that's what cars.
Speaker 2: Because later, yeah, who's that at the back well all the way away? Yeah? Oh yeah he's that's a that's an older jeep suv.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's definitely an offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think it is. I think it is Graham.
Speaker 1: So he didn't go out and sports and then buy an As far as car, No, he's a Midwestern guy.
Speaker 2: He's you know, is he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where's he from?
Speaker 2: I think he's from Michigan.
Speaker 1: Because Duke is not exactly Midwestern.
Speaker 2: No, he's either from Michigan or Wisconsin. But he did go to Duke. But I want to say it looks like a Wisconsin guy. Yeah, but I think it's I want I don't know why. I think it's watch. It'll probably be Iowa, you know, something like that. But no, Midwest Tennessee, Tennessee. Oh, that's right, he's from now he Nashville outside of Brentwood, outside of Nashville. That's right there, you go that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he picked Duke over Michigan State.
Speaker 2: That's because he mind. Yeah, it's because what I think he because he just felt like he was going to be able to play more there. I think that was him. Yeah, and that's him.
Speaker 1: How about that is that it was very modest vehicle for a NFL player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, considering I own one of those. Yeah, for you, it's it's luxury, luxury, yes.
Speaker 1: But how about that the Zion McCollum fumble recovery where it looked like it was a touchdown. Oh wow, I understand the ruling, like he got somebody touched him briefly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his he almost got up in time, but he didn't.
Speaker 1: But you know, you've seen the plays where there's a big mass people in the he's not going down and they managed to push him into the inen zone. But this one was like from thirty yards. Yeah, that that big scrum of people was pushed like thirty yards. Right, Well, it didn't count, but it was pretty cool. Well you said it was pushed like.
Speaker 2: Casey was talking to Todd Bowles during his radio show and she was talking about how how strong. The zion was, you know, motoring down and coach said, I think it was those guys pushing behind him that was moving there. It was quite a bit, which is which is pretty good. But at least he had presence of mind to jump back up and go.
Speaker 1: So been a heat touchdown, I wish you would have stood. I don't think it really would have changed. I think we scored on that drave we did, so we did. Wouldn't really have changed the complexion of the game probably, but still pretty cool. But you know, I have a hot take here.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So we were home on Sunday, we were able to watch games were and there was the game in Munich and they did the whole was.
Speaker 2: Much well, I don't know where it was. Was it London maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was London because we were talking about the next week because it was the Jacks. Yeah, and they did the country roads thing. I think at the end of the third quarter. It's a tradition. H just cool. It was neat when we were there. I'm over it, bro, I'm so over it. Not the fact that they do it. I mean, if you have a cool tradition and the fans love it, you know.
Speaker 2: Great, they sing that song at soccer games over.
Speaker 1: There, But it's the announcers. Every time it happens, they lose their minds like it's something We've seen it now for years. We get it. They sing country roads. It's a cool tradition. You don't have to act like this is some incredible thing you've never witnessed before.
Speaker 2: Well if you haven't, then you it is an incredible Is that a cyber truck where?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my god, I don't even want to know who.
Speaker 2: I can tell you who it is?
Speaker 1: Who should we is it?
Speaker 2: Is it fair to say who's not? Yeah, you can tell me later, okay, but I do know who it is because we're giving them a hard time on the bus.
Speaker 1: Good. Yes, those things sort of the dumbest looking vehicles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we were we made a comment that we sure hope saltwater doesn't get in that. He did not find it funny. He did not know, no, but he took it. Well. See, that's called a tease. Will make people. I'll go I'll go see him tomorrow and ask him if it's okay. Yeah, if we can say that, yeah, I think that's the that's the way to do it. Yeah, I'm trying not to get in trouble today, I'm doing it. I don't know if I'm doing well. I think you're trying not to get in trouble.
Speaker 1: I was on Twitter randomly during that game. I saw the clip, that classic clip of Scott Brandley just absolutely demolishing Eric Hipple. Oh yeah, yeah, Bucks fans out there, that is if you've ever heard of this or seen it, just go to YouTube and see if it's just if I do. Scott Branley and Eric Kipple, I bet you.
Speaker 2: And that is that that was when you could really compile somebody. I mean he laid him out.
Speaker 1: Scott Brantley hit on Eric Hipple. Yeah, so just start typing Scott Branley and it'll finish out. It was in a game in Detroit in nineteen eighty five, and that actually.
Speaker 2: Looks like it's in Tampa. Is Yeah, there's Stills.
Speaker 1: Hippole fakes a couple handoffs and then starts rolling left and he decides to scramble and he's near the sideline. He kind of dips around on his teammates so he does not see Scott Branley coming at all, miss and Brantley hits him like a missile and it's like Eric Hipples just exploded, like there were there were parts of his uniform going in like six different directions, and oh boy, he stayed down for a long time after.
Speaker 2: Now you can't do a hit like that now because anytime a quarterback gets to the side, gets to a sideline, you have to let up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna see. I'm looking at this, and I think that's a legal hit even today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had shoulder and shoulder and he's still in.
Speaker 1: And he's still barely in. He's not trying to get out of bounds because he doesn't realize Brantley's coming. Honestly, I think this is a legal hit.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's It'd be like if you were, you know, turn your head to look one way and then stepped off the curve and got caught on the other way.
Speaker 1: He had no idea it was coming, and he was sure there was a there was a body on the ground. I think it was a buccaneer defender and he's basically trying to fall over him for extra yards, so he wasn't trying to go out of bounce. And I don't blame the guy. I feel sorry for him. I'm sure he's recovered by now, but one would hold, one would hope, but yeah, google that and it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Scott Brandley was a hitter. He's still Yeah, he's a good dude. He lives up in Okalla. He's you know, not doing as well as as we have.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So go ahead and what else? Yet?
Speaker 1: I don't have a lot more. We kind of skipped over when we were talking about our injuries. I wanted to bring up the forty nine ers just to show that we're not.
Speaker 2: Do you know? Someone put a meme out there of the forty nine ers and and I don't know if I should say what it was. Well, it was interesting because of all their injuries, and it was a no, I'm not going to say. Okay there, I know. I changed my mind.
Speaker 1: You want to call John Lynch this week and asked me, well, okay, they just started the game without Chritian McCaffrey and without Juwan Jennings's not one of their bigger names, but is a good receiver. And then, uh, Devils, you got sick before the game? Uh flew ended up not playing much in right, and went to the hospital and it was pneumonia and then like Chris Comes, Brandon Ayuk suffered a season ending I think his is an ACL and NCL.
Speaker 2: Came back and they did not look like they did.
Speaker 1: At some point they're out of weapons, and that made it a lot harder on Brock Purdy, who had been having a great season.
Speaker 2: Right when you when you look at that and say you're going to get Patrick Mahomes to throw two I N t's and you know less than two hundred yards passing, you're going to win that game. And no, that wasn't the case. But I will say Kansas City's defense is pretty stout right now.
Speaker 1: Kansas City's defense was equally important to their their Super Bowl championship last year, if not more so. Kind of the way when we won after the twenty twenty season, Tom Brady and the offense rightfully got most of the credit for that incredible run to the last couple of months of the season, but in the playoffs, our defense was probably the more dominant. Union lots and lots of turnovers held the Chiefs to nine points. You gotta have different ways to win, Jeff, the Chiefs and Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are good at finding different ways to win.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good. You know, We've always said this, Good teams figure out a way to win. They're just not one dimensional, right, And that's.
Speaker 1: Now we're gonna have to find is that where you were.
Speaker 2: Going, guys, where it's going.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, We're gonna have to find two things here. We're gonna have to find in a different way to succeed on offense because, like we said, we don't have another Chris Gowan now or another Mike Evans now. There's a lot of trust and belief in our coaching staff, starting from Todd Bowles and guys like Jalen McMillan and Trey Palmer. And I'm particularly excited to see what Jalen can do an expanded role because when he was playing he hasn't had a ton of production yet, but he's basically been playing the third receiver role with Mike and Chris. Now he's going to be one of your starters. Presumably probably have McMillan and I don't know this for sure, but probably have McMillan Palmer on the outside and Stirling Shepherd in the slot.
Speaker 2: And they brought up Millers.
Speaker 1: And we could activate with Kim Jarrett this week. So now you're in a more prominent role. Now you're a guy that Baker's gonna be looking to a lot, because he hasked to I'm really excited to see what he might do. And that's why Todd Bowles put his eyes. He said, you never know what you can do until you know who you don't have, and he says attribute. He attributed that to Bill Parcells. So yeah, you didn't have to find out what you got in Jalen Mill until everybody else is hurt. And then now he has to be the guy. So and then also, it would be nice if the defense found some improvement in this stretch.
Speaker 2: I think it's crucial because.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they've given him more than five hundred yards in two of the last three games.
Speaker 2: Even if they only give up three hundred yards.
Speaker 1: Again, we lost two of those games where we scored thirty or more points. You like to think that if you can get thirty, you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Win, you would think, But but yeah, we need.
Speaker 1: To figure out some things on defense.
Speaker 2: And I always get a little confused, but I begin, I mean, I always hear it's communication. Someone's not hearing the call. And I heard that Todd's defense is complicated, but once you understand it, you can play really fast. And I keep I think we as fans forget that there's some really young guys still playing. And what a difference having Elijah Kntsi in there and with Vida Veya. Yeah, yeah, had a really good game. Got pressures in there.
Speaker 1: He's been getting a lot of pressure without getting sacks, which is he's got a very good pressure rate.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes that's just as good.
Speaker 1: No, well, you'd like to see a higher percentage of pressures turned into sacks. Yeah, because, yes, getting pressure a lot on the quarterback is very good, but getting a sack is even better. Right, Most drives don't survive a.
Speaker 2: Sack, you guys, yes, get well, Yes, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what the numbers are, but I bet it's a pretty high percentage of drives that into failure if there's even one sack on them.
Speaker 2: Even ten yard penalties have a tendency to hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, holding penalties are tough over coat. I did not like. I think it was near the end of the first half when we managed I think I think as the penalties we managed to get them in a very long like third and thirty and on their side of the field, and they threw a little screen and it got like twenty five yards and you're like, well we stopped them. Yeah, but they got into field goal range. And I don't know what we did wrong there, whether it's a philosophical thing or somebody messed up, but you got to get you gotta keep them out of field goal range there. So I think, you know, maybe more aggressive.
Speaker 2: When someone is wide open. It's usually because someone didn't understand where to go.
Speaker 1: Well, when it's a running back, you know, swung out to the right and you have the scrimmage, it's not really that surprising because we're probably playing pretty far back on third and thirty and then you come up and tackle. But there wasn't anybody close enough to tackle him before they got back in the field goal range and they made a fifty five yarder. I think, yeah, so you only needed to stop him probably five shorter.
Speaker 2: Which is unfortunate because we did miss the fifty five yard or fifty two. Okay, well we missed a long field goal, which if we had hit that then yeah.
Speaker 1: But let's not get greedy. This was the first time he missed all year.
Speaker 2: I know, from fifteen and the wind was blowing in his face. So you will say that, oh yeah, well yeah, it's got to do the pirate ship. Yeah, yeah, that's why our Kischoffs couldn't get to the end zone. Right when we talked about that, when they were going for we were talking about is this where you go if you, you know, don't punt go for fourth down? You know, or do you or do you kick a field goal? And they elected to kick a field goal.
Speaker 1: Well you can understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now if you make that field goal, you go, that was a great call. If you missed that field goal, you go, oh, you should have just tried fourth down. You're giving them the ball the same place or a little even more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: That's kind of though. But you know, when you have games like that, that's where you end up going back and forth and saying this that. Well, yeah, hey, the Ravens are a good team, no question about that.
Speaker 1: I might call them Super Bowl favorites right now.
Speaker 2: You do, they're right up there? Yeah, well, they they just don't seem to be able to get through the playoffs. That that always seems to knock them out. Three years ago, I think it was the Titans and then they got knocked out.
Speaker 1: Last year, they Buffalos and the championship and lost again. If A Flowers hadn't fumbled at the goal line, they might have won that game.
Speaker 2: Ifs, ifs, ifs, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now they that Baltimore team is very very good, no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Very well coached, been around a long time.
Speaker 1: Now we get to face Kirk Cousins again, which this idea that he's some kind of buck slayer is a little overblown.
Speaker 2: It's funny you were saying that someone was talking to me about that.
Speaker 1: It's based on It's based mostly on the game from like what twenty fifteen in Washington. Yeah, you like that game? And then god and then this last game.
Speaker 2: No, I don't like that game.
Speaker 1: This last game he threw for five hundred yards. But that's two of the four times that we've played against him, and we beat him the other two times. So he's two and two against us. It's just that the wins have been extremely memorable.
Speaker 2: At least that you got that one, right, which is.
Speaker 1: You like that? I mean, I hate that you like that?
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 1: But he wanted to know if you like that. That was his question that he repeated on several occasions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we don't like that.
Speaker 1: And you want to do you want to do emails?
Speaker 2: Do you? Are you done?
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about that game anymore.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about the upcoming game with Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny. They they really got beat pretty badly by Seattle.
Speaker 2: At home, surprisingly because they were the favorites.
Speaker 1: They're also favored in this game. Did you know that? No, two and a half point favorites on the road. But that's got to be because because injuries. But they lost three four fourteen.
Speaker 2: And Seattle I think it was like on a three game losing streak. But they're a good team Seattle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Geno Smith's a good quarterback.
Speaker 2: Well, I think this is this is uh yeah. A lot of people were kind of down on the mouth around here, you know, feeling bad. And my my thinking, you know, I'm looking at the bright side is you know if we were talking a training camp and said in week eight we're going to be fighting for first place, would you be excited? And that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: You like to use this argument like every week, and sometimes it's more relevant than others.
Speaker 2: This one's big.
Speaker 1: We're four and three.
Speaker 2: Okay, I understand, but you can be five and three if you win this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could also be four and four.
Speaker 2: Well that's why you have to win this game.
Speaker 1: You win this Yeah, I don't know. If you told me before that have seven games would be four and three, I'd be all that excited. That's one game over five hundred. I probably would have figured. We lost at Detroit, at New Orleans and Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Who did you think?
Speaker 1: So I don't don't. Don't try to get me on record saying I thought we would live.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm looking. I'm looking at this and I'm going I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do it that way. You're going to say what those teams are and who we should have.
Speaker 2: Some people didn't think we were going to get six wins, so you know, I mean, right now, we're I know, I mean.
Speaker 1: But we did. We didn't agree with those perceptions. I think we should be five and two because I think we should have won the Atlanta game.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: How we can't really argue with the losses to Denver and Baltimore. They beat us pretty badly. I think we you know, but then the Lions would probably argue they should have won their game. Sure they had sat opportunities again, whereas we don't feel that way about it.
Speaker 2: But see, the Falcons can say they won that game because they made more plays than we did. We needed to make a play and it didn't happen like.
Speaker 1: That one play where they grabbed the face mask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or or we get we get a holding call, right.
Speaker 1: There was one flag on that play. One. Or or.
Speaker 2: You get a first down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were trying to, but it's hard.
Speaker 2: When you get a holding call or you make a stop.
Speaker 1: I understand, Jack. I'm just saying that they take this one game against Atlanta and change one thing, that being the face mask getting called, and I'm pretty sure we win that game.
Speaker 2: That's why I feel so confident that we're going to win this game.
Speaker 1: That's not where I'm going with this. My point is I'm not that excited by about four and three. I'm glad we four and three and tied for first and not two and five, but I really feel like we should be five and two right now, and I would feel a lot better at five and two, especially with a chance to then go two games up in the division this week. So we gotta win this one because they would have the sledgehammer of a tiebreaker with that sweep against US, which means you can't get into a tiebreaker with them at the end. You have to be at least one clear.
Speaker 2: But I'm not gonna spend all week licking my wounds. I'm going for the ray of sunshine.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I'm just I just think you use that if I told you we were here at the beginning of the sun it is.
Speaker 2: It's if you do it every week, I understand, but sometimes it's more relevant than others enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Like when we were two and one after losing a Denver and you say, yeah, that was a bad game against Denver. But if I told you we were two and one after the first three games, right, we included a game at Detroit. I get that point. Yes, if you told me before the season that we'd be two and one after the end of the after three weeks, I'd be cool. That sounds great.
Speaker 2: But I think, I think.
Speaker 1: But this is not where it's It doesn't apply here.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll let you have it.
Speaker 1: If at least if you're going to use that line, like it'd be like a you know, a flea flicker. Only do it like once every five games. Okay, fine, anyway, this you.
Speaker 2: Can you can you can feel miserable at four and three, I feel.
Speaker 1: Saying I feel miserable. I'm saying, don't use the same line every single time.
Speaker 2: You're just being you're just being salty.
Speaker 1: That song, that's fine, I mean it does kind of. It's right there in the title. So this Seattle Atlanta game, they lost pretty handily, despite the fact that they really got great production out of all those top ten picks. Yeah, p John Robinson ran for one hundred and three yards in a touchdown and also caught three passes for forty yards. Kyle Pitts had seven catches for sixty five yards. Drake London had six catches for sixty three yards in a touchdown. That's how it's That's what they were, that's what they're going for with all these picks, and that all happened, and yet they still only scored fourteen points. Crazy part because Cousins two interceptions.
Speaker 2: Hopefully that's in the mix.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, you want to get some question?
Speaker 2: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 1: Are you mad at me for yelling at you? No?
Speaker 2: I just can't wait till next week when we're five and three and say, hey, if we were in the pre IF preseason and I said we'd be five and three after eight games, would you be happy? That's all.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between happy and excited.
Speaker 2: All right, are you excited if we're five and three? You can't answer that question until next week.
Speaker 1: No, now good, I'm happy, but not excited.
Speaker 2: Okay, go to the questions. What do you got? Computer froze?
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I'm just trying to figure out the first email. I think it's this one, Kent Denny.
Speaker 2: That's fine. You don't have to go in order.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying the first ones. All the ones above it are new and not ones we read last week.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see you saved them. You don't delete them.
Speaker 1: I don't make a point of deleting them. Okay, just ck Jeff and Scott first. I hope both of you fared okay during Milton and everything is back to normal. I think we both were fine. Still need to replace my fence, same.
Speaker 2: Still getting dropped up, but it needs to I totally replaced them, and they.
Speaker 1: Still haven't picked up the lawn debris. Neighborhood. A couple of people started trying to take care of themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, they came, they came by and they picked up the stuff that was in like bags. But but I think it's because they're going to bring the Mulchi machine down the street.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Again that way, it doesn't take it. But as much landfill, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I don't think my email will get to you before you record this week's podcast. That was last week.
Speaker 2: That was Oh, he was right, so you'll have to use.
Speaker 1: The wayback machine to remember my question about concussion protocol. I noticed Luke Getticky was wearing the Guardian helmet during the Saints game and he also, by the way, he also did it against Baltimore and would like to know how it protects the players. Thanks for doing the show, and as always, we want merchin from Tampa. I can well, I mean it's just extra patting, right, So there's an extra layer of that you don't see you see it if you see like practice footage, but they cover it with that thing and you know, so you have the Buccaneers logo style. But it's just an extra layer of padding. I mean, I don't think there's anything more complicated than that.
Speaker 2: It takes because it's like an egg. You're you're it's a cushion thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even that's not infallible because I mean, if you get hard enough, the problem is your brain bouncing around inside your skull. That's how you get concussions. So it makes it that less likely to happen because there's more absorption. Yeah, okay, well there's not anything.
Speaker 2: Really, Uh nothing earth show.
Speaker 1: I sent an email to this address one night because I thought it was a topic and I wanted to remember to discuss. But I don't really remember what I wanted to discuss about it now. It just says smelling salts. Oh, because uh, I guess I saw footage of Baker walking down a couple other guys, guys walking down smelling salts.
Speaker 2: They're like ammonia solon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like opens up your pathway.
Speaker 2: Yes, it just goes and you just go woa, ready to go.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not performance enhancing.
Speaker 2: Because no, it's not performing enhancing. All right, this is just kind of clear your sinuses. It gives you a little jolt. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ian McDermott from Galway, Ireland. By the way, if I'm pronouncing that, yes, Galloway, Hey, Scott and Jeff watching the Ravens game. Third quarter has just ended unbelievably frustrating. I feel like they haven't been even played that badly. Everything just seems to be going wrong after such a good start. Anyways, in a more cheerful matter, our greatest treasure Jeane Deckerff as an avid radio listener. I think he's the best in the business. I may have written to you before about this, but is there any chance he would be considered for the Ring of Honor? And before I looked at the the signature at the bottom, I knew this was somebody from Europe because he spelled honor with a you holy hell a turnover, so I guess that must have been happened. Wow, he was writing this. Glad to hear you all well after the Hurricanes. Thanks for all the podcasts. Go Bucks. This is Ian from Ireland. We've had this discussion every now and then we talk about who's still should be in like I think Simeon Risen Hardy Nickerson person should be in h and we've brought up gene Ye it would be I wonder if any other team has ever done that. Did the Dodgers put.
Speaker 2: The Skulley Scully. Yeah, he's there.
Speaker 1: He would be the number one.
Speaker 2: And then they renamed the entire thing Vin Scully. Now it is Jeene Deckerhoff Radio Booth. It is there at Raymond James Stadium.
Speaker 1: Is this is the press book still called the tomicquan presbects.
Speaker 2: I don't know that. I believe when they did renovations the signs all went away, so I don't know. But yeah, the Dodgers have been Scully up there. I think a number of clubs have done that.
Speaker 1: You could make an argument, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it would be one of those things if and when Jean really retires that maybe that would be the time to do it.
Speaker 1: I don't really know if it's gonna happen or not.
Speaker 2: I don't either.
Speaker 1: I would be a very happy for him if it did.
Speaker 2: No pun intended, it's not at all.
Speaker 1: I'd be so happy for him if that, And just the fact that we're seriously thinking about the possibility is pretty impressive. Yes, So we'll see. We'll see, if you know, whenever he retires, and then some years after that, it'll be interesting something to keep an eye on. Ian. Good Questionion, good question. Alexander, our friend from Brazil, holy salty ones. Hope this funds you both well. So we have a team that does not play their best ball under the lights, just like a Bucks team in the beginning of the twenty twenty season. That was a great team we were facing and early mistakes in Handtring's kind of put it it the game away. How fitting will it be for the Creamsicle game. We will need our defense to step up and win the game for us, A crucial game. By the way, since you did, thanks for reading Alexander nessamente from so Paul Brazil and just to put some film reference, Mike Evans will return. Sure, I know what he means by that, but I think what Alexander's point here is that the he said the defense winning games for us is like a throwback to the old days, although most of that great defense was played after well, no, that one too. Yeah that's true. But the greatest defense in Buck history is the one that led us to the twenty two and it was good from like ninety seven through five, I mean really good, and that was all actually not in Creamsicle. Ninety six was the last yet Creamsicle and we did already have Brooks. Won't sap in lyunch at that point. But they hadn't really coalesced into the great defense and.
Speaker 2: They will be. And Rondi wasn't even ran day then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rondie wasn't unday until ninety eight.
Speaker 2: And then in ninety eight ronde wasn't run day.
Speaker 1: No, he was pretty good in ninety eight. It was ninety seven. He only played one his rookie season. He was replacing it. And he'll gladly tell you he was not good that Here. This is from our official Idaho Buccaneers Ambassador Phipps. Dear Jeff and Jeff. Only some people like Scott might not care about audio quality or random noise in the background. I am always wondering what that noise is, and come to find out it's Scott banging on his desk. Well, first of all, I was banging on your chair, not my desk, but close enough, and banging is a little strong.
Speaker 2: I was going like this, you were tapping. He was tapping, I know. But if you're listening in it's very ear.
Speaker 1: It clearly bothers Colton. Anyway, this is only for you, Okay, I'm listening. I know of the Newman you eight seven mic because we use one here in the studio for vocals and voiceovers.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's how we.
Speaker 1: Get that full range and the Sindheiser's processing EQ you have set up sounds really good. I don't remember that because I know I tuned out when you were talking about all that stuff, so I don't remember what you said. I could only tell that's me talking about him. I could only tell the difference when you were on the road. So keep up the good work. So when we zum, yeah, because we didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't use the I didn't use the road mixture.
Speaker 1: Justin FAYI. The last episode was not on Spotify.
Speaker 2: I got a check in chick into that I had to use.
Speaker 1: The Buccaneers app to listen for the first time. It was and it was over overall and enjoyable experience.
Speaker 2: Oh good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody should know. You can get the podcasts on the bucks app.
Speaker 2: Well, you can get the you can get the podcast on the you can get the podcast wherever you get your podcast, like Apple. Yeah, but you also can get your podcast if you have serious XM app and all you do is type in Buccaneers and it'll pop up all the audio.
Speaker 1: Of okay, and you can pick and choose.
Speaker 2: You can pick it from press conferences to from Monday to from Monday nothing but Bucks with TJ Coaches, show players, show press conferences on Wednesday with head coach with Baker, Thursday with defensive Coordinator Liam Cohen, Offensive coordinator. Any interviews in the locker room, and then after the game, all those interviews. If you don't catch them, you can get it all there.
Speaker 1: I have the Serious Exim app on my phone so I can do that.
Speaker 2: You type it. It's really very cool. I typed it in and looked at it and to see, you know, make sure it's all working.
Speaker 1: I tend to use it mostly to play the nineties Hip Hop channel nineties and music nineties is the best stake at for your music in the history of human kind.
Speaker 2: It is, huh yep.
Speaker 1: But I particularly like nineties hip hop. Come on, you don't like yacht rock radio, It's fine, that's great. You know friend Tony, You know Tony, Yes, he loves rock.
Speaker 2: I do too. I do because you know why, it's soothing. Okay, got a nice little mix. It's a you know, some fast, some slow, some.
Speaker 1: I like music with a good beat that has words.
Speaker 2: It's easy to dance. Too.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, Okay, okay, anyway to continue, thank you.
Speaker 2: He's in a studio, so is he. I wonder if he's an engineer or what kind of studio.
Speaker 1: I'm fearful that he's already told us when we discussed it.
Speaker 2: I don't believe he has. I don't believe he has because I would have remembered that.
Speaker 1: Well. Colton's on a little bit of a run here of writing in every week for like four weeks in a row, so he'll probably answer these questions.
Speaker 2: Good because if he was in a studio. It's interesting.
Speaker 1: Although I do prefer Spotify so you can download and listen without internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I like Spotify. Okay, there's a lot on there. PS. Still so sad about Chris Godwin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everyone's going to be that way.
Speaker 1: When they cut back from commercial and showed him on the cart, his expression on his face was so sad that I wanted to shed a tear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of did.
Speaker 1: And then Colton says, all right, go ahead. That's his motto, based on you, Colton Phipps Official Idaho Buccaneers and great all right, and this is our last one is from a friend of ours in California, Phillips Squadron, Hey S Dogs. I just watched the video of all of Mike evans one hundred touchdown catches.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 1: It was a nice trip down memory lane, and I feel like I remember every one of them. Well, that's pretty good. The thing I noticed about a lot of those catches is his hands are so big. He looks like he's catching a tennis ball instead of a football. Just the greatest receiver of the decade. Losing Godwin sucks. I won't begin to predict predict how the rest of the season will play out, but once we get past San Francisco, the schedule looks pretty good for us, regardless of who's catching the ball.
Speaker 2: I like how he's thinking, hopefully Mike's.
Speaker 1: One of them. I'm not losing hope just yet. Well, no, don't lose hope. Phil Schadron, Woodland Hills, California. I mean, if we hopefully beat the Falcons this weekend, we're in first place.
Speaker 2: Yep, I know I brought that up. Yeah, I'm with you. It's a week to week. It's the emotional highs and lows week to week.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, sure has been that way this week and.
Speaker 2: Every team, you know, a team scores fifty some points on somebody, and the next week it's crazy. And then I mean that's across the league. Someone does really well when look at look at the Saints, ninety some points in two weeks and they have a one a game since the second week of the season. Not that it breaks my.
Speaker 1: Heart, but you know, there's some background noise for you.
Speaker 2: But you know what I'm saying, It's just I don't know. I I just can't get too high or too low anymore. I just get it done onto the next chapter, making it great. You got anything else?
Speaker 1: Halloween's coming, Jeff, not my favorite.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: I can't Helloween.
Speaker 2: I'm not a fan of it.
Speaker 1: I love when we're on the road on like the night before Hell. I'm with you because I'm like, I don't have to. I'm just going to hide in the house anyway, just almost say out on the line with the chair and some candy.
Speaker 2: No, make it great, get Pitt pitted.
Speaker 1: By the Stevens. Anyway.
Speaker 2: That's all I got, Jeff, That's it all right. All. I was just gonna say, I think you should immediately go home now.
Speaker 1: And I got one thing. I gotta finishers.
Speaker 2: What oh you do have to push before?
Speaker 1: You probably take her about half out?
Speaker 2: All right, Well then I'm gonna let you go. And since you did, thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: H m hm