Speaker 1: Cutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's the clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere.
Speaker 4: The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio and a Happy Friday to you. It is the sixth day of June and we are gonna have somebody on here in a moment. You probably already know because it's a podcast, and you can see who's gonna be on here, which I'm excited to talk to. I haven't talked to this guy in a minute. And we also love dope holidays. Today is National Donut Day, and as you know, my favorite donut the apple fritter with the cinnamon roll a close number two. And we have a fun fact about donuts. The earliest account known of the what has now known as the modern donut eighteen oh nine. Eighteen oh nine, that's one of the earliest accounts of donuts. It was attributed to a Dutch settler who brought them over to the States, to New York. So we in America eighteen oh nine, eighteen oh nine. The Salvation Army in nineteen eighteen set up canteens in the front lines of World War One and they provided care for the soldiers who were mangled in World War One, and they provided donuts.
Speaker 3: And can you imagine today if they did that. Who're just not healthy. You can't you can't do that. What's right? You know that whole thing.
Speaker 4: But they did in nineteen eighteen, over one hundred years ago. They're like, listen, these people are all messed up. These soldiers got God love them, got messed up in war. We need to make them better. We'll give them donuts. And they gave them donuts. And knock yourself out.
Speaker 3: It's also National yo Yo Day today.
Speaker 1: Yo Yo?
Speaker 3: Does anyone still use the yo yo? When I was a kid, people fusched around with the yo yo? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yo yo goes all the way back to five hundred BC five. It was made out of wood, metal and painted disc the first yo yos and it's the second oldest toy, by the way, second oldest toy.
Speaker 3: The yo yo considered the second oldest toy ever.
Speaker 4: It was patented in eighteen sixty six, so I guess before that they only had one other toy, which was like a ball, a ball or something like that. And then the modern yo yo. Because I know you're all about the yo yo. The modern yo yo was in nineteen twenty, so one hundred and twenty, one hundred and five years ago. Modern yoyo in the United States have they the string looped only around the axle, only around the axle, And yes, yo yo have been in space in outer space.
Speaker 3: In nineteen eighty five, it became the first toy to go to outer space.
Speaker 4: So I'm out of fun facts, and that means we must get to the meat of the matter. So big news yesterday and borrowing some kind of last minute snaffu.
Speaker 3: Today, we're doing this here early in the morning.
Speaker 4: Aaron Rogers is going to sign the docu sign he is going to go to the Pittsburgh Steelers. And what better way to welcome Aaron Rodgers to Pittsburgh than bring in the top Pittsburgh Steelers celebrity fan that I know and a longtime friend of mine. I worked the sports talk radio battlefield with this man for many many years, the late night war of talk radio. And he joins, now we're talking about Eddie Garcia King Eddie making his way in their steamboat. Willie on the podcast, I see is all decked out. He's got his high stuff on.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And we'll get to that in a minute. But we're gonna start with the football Eddie. And I'll make it very simple. Thumbs up or thumbs down on Aaron Rogers joining your Pittsburgh Steel was give me the inside, skinny, Eddie.
Speaker 1: I guess I have to give it a thumbs up considering what the alternatives were, which were a bunch of crap on the roster now or like going and getting Matt Ryan or something. I mean, the options, the option, I mean, seriously, what were they gonna Are they really gonna go into the season with the crap they had at quarterback before this news came down?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I mean, am I happy about it? No? Am I excited about it? Not really? But is it? Is it under the circumstances, you know, a better option than what they were gonna have? Apparently?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it does count.
Speaker 4: It counts as an upgrade, is what you're saying, because Mason Rudolph, the Red Noose quarterback was no. It is a sad Rogers looked pretty cooked right with the Jets. Yes, yes, I agree, like they didn't have a lot left and just the whole, the whole shebang and all that. But the way I look at it, and you, obviously, Eddie, you have skin in the game because you have terrible.
Speaker 3: Dowels and you have how many Steeler jerseys do you own?
Speaker 1: Eddie? Oh gosh, probably about ten?
Speaker 4: Ten?
Speaker 5: Ten?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought maybe it was like three or four. I didn't realize it was ten. Now it's like it's like ten ten, Now do you have? Like I mean, oh boy, let see, we should do a game. Can we name how many?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do that game.
Speaker 4: But before we get we'll try I'll try to guess how many legendary Steeler jerseys Eddie has just off the top there.
Speaker 1: But it might be more than ten now that I think about it. But we'll play the game.
Speaker 3: We'll play the game.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so I look at it like this, uh, and this is as you know, I'm very objective, Eddie.
Speaker 3: I never just you raw emotion.
Speaker 4: But you had, if you're Pittsburgh, you had the third ranked quarterback in the division prior to this, right, because you had Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow are ahead of everyone else, and so they're there. And then thank God for the Browns. I think you could Eddie for the Steelers and.
Speaker 1: You would still be better.
Speaker 3: Off than with the Browns.
Speaker 4: Aff So, so you had, you still have the third ranked quarterback.
Speaker 3: And think of it, Eddie.
Speaker 4: For those of us, you know, you're you're a big podcaster, muckety muck, you know, and those that do this kind of stuff, think of the great conversations that Aaron Rodgers will inspire. Either he'll be amazing, he'll have there's two ways this goes. Right, he has a career renaissance and this is the the classic.
Speaker 3: You know how in.
Speaker 4: Hollywood you have the high, the low, and then the redemption story. It's that or he just doesn't give a crap and he picks up the nickname Alleghany Aaron from you know, having tea parties out in the woods around Pittsburgh with Mike Tomlin and the players.
Speaker 3: And there's like, I don't think there's a middle ground here. I don't think there's just like middle ground. And either way, the Steelers are gonna win.
Speaker 4: What are you think with nine or ten games something like that, no matter what, right, they always win around that number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they'll make the playoffs and they'll lose the first round.
Speaker 3: So you got it all man.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's kind of funny because I used to like Russell Wilson. I used to like watching him play. I thought he was a pretty fun player to watch. Thought he was pretty good when he was with Seattle in the heyday, and then I don't know if it was social media or what, he kind of turned into a very unlikable douche. And then he started bouncing around on different teams, and when he came to the Steelers, I was not excited about it at all. I didn't think he was going to do much. He actually played a little bit better than I thought they would early on, but then he ended up being the guy I thought it was gonna be, which is not very good. And now he's gone the same thing with Aaron Rodgers. There was nobody in the NFL that I enjoyed watching throw the football more than Aaron Rodgers. I loved how he threw the ball. It made it look so effortless, and he was fun to watch. And then he started doing interviews and he was on shows, and then you kind of realized what a douche she was and it became more about him as a personality than what he was doing on the field. And now he's coming to my team again, and I feel the exact same way that I did on Russell Wilson joint. I'm not really excited about it. I don't think he's gonna do much and we'll see what happens. I'll hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Speaker 4: Well, Russell Wilson, at first, he thought, well he was I thought he was doing cosplay in Seattle. When he was, he sounded just like Pete Carroll. It was very bizarre, like he'd do news conferences. He sounded just like Pete Carroll. And then the moment where I knew it was all over for us when he did that thing that video when he walked around his house, mister mister unlimited, Oh my god, that was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And now he's had a lot of weird He had a lot of weird videos and clips and sound bite, says.
Speaker 4: Oh he did, he did, And then the stories that came out, like even when it was with the Broncos and he was high stepping down the trains continental flight over the Atlantic.
Speaker 3: Ocean, You're like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: We're now going to play again here on the Fifth Hour podcast. Can we guess the Steeler jerseys.
Speaker 3: That Eddie has? And we'll go yay or nay on this Eddie.
Speaker 4: I will throw out some names and uh, all right, I'm gonna set a timer here. I have you have some jerseys. Honestly, my my futzing around here. So you said you have ten Steeler jersey how many do you think I can name? I'm going to set the clock at I don't want to do this too long because no one will listen.
Speaker 3: How about two minutes? Two minutes as good?
Speaker 1: Right? Okay, sure that's fair enough.
Speaker 3: Just agree with me.
Speaker 1: Now, is it three strikes in you're out? Or what?
Speaker 4: You're setting new rules here? As many names in? Two minutes? Too minutes?
Speaker 3: All right, you got to do a minute. I'll do a minute.
Speaker 1: No, I'll know two minutes. We'll do two minutes, and I will I will keep score on how many you get, right, okay, all right, and does how does it count? Does it count if I have more than one jersey of a player, because I do have more than I have multiple jerseys. Really, you have the home in the road, you have the black and the white, and if you a couple of guys I do, yes, Okay.
Speaker 4: All right, I should get two points. If you have black in the in the white, I should get too.
Speaker 3: I think that's all right.
Speaker 4: Brian, here we go, uh sending the clock two minute, two minute, and we're on our way. Uh go, all right, I'm gonna go legends. How about Jerome Bettis the bus Jerome Bettis, Yes.
Speaker 1: I have I think I have at least one. I know I have at least one, maybe two, maybe two.
Speaker 4: So that's at least one point. How about Roethlisberger, Ben Roethlisberger.
Speaker 1: I have one, Ben Roethlisberger. It was it was a gift from the Great Samba Teesh back in the day.
Speaker 4: Oh I remember Sam. He was a big producer at Fox Sports Radio back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got it from me from the Super Bowl in Detroit when he went and he got he didn't pay for it. But anyway, I'm doing I'm still happy about it.
Speaker 3: You'd admit I'm doing well. I'm two for two.
Speaker 4: How about I hope you have this jersey because this is one of the greats of all time and it was starting one of the all time wonderful commercials me and Joe Green.
Speaker 1: That is, I do not It is a major omission in my spot. Eddie h is the number one omission. Yeah, okay, Mike tom Zach, all right, that is a negative. I was for comedic person.
Speaker 4: Let's see, I'm trying to think other great, Well, you were like a bigger guy, so maybe you just no brad Shaw.
Speaker 3: About Terry Bradshaw all time great Terry Bradshaw.
Speaker 1: You now no Bradshaw?
Speaker 3: Oh man?
Speaker 4: All right, what else do we have? Trying to think Steelers? I don't think you're not going to get Antonio Brown. You're not going to get like leve On Bell. So I'm not going to include.
Speaker 1: I actually did have an Antonio Brown jersey at one time when he before he went crazy and uh I yeah, and then I got rid of it.
Speaker 3: How about this Cam Hayward.
Speaker 1: No, that's a pretty good guest, But no, I don't have a Cam Hayward.
Speaker 3: He's too new.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, Troy Paulamalu plamlu, I have two different Jersey's two points I got?
Speaker 3: I got fifteen seconds? Alan Fannik That the offensive lineman, Alan Fannick.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good guess. But no, no, no.
Speaker 4: Trying to think more. Who is the big defensive god Harrison Harrison? What's the James Harrison?
Speaker 1: I don't have a James Harrison. That's a good game.
Speaker 3: Two minutes? Damn it? All right? How many did they get?
Speaker 1: Did you? You got Bettis? You got Roethlisberger, you got Paula Malu, that's it? How about the how about the biggest star on the team right now?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: What Cray?
Speaker 3: Yes? Oh my god? How did I screw that up?
Speaker 1: I've got I've got home end road of T. J. Watt.
Speaker 4: I always thought, though, going into my mindset, was well, you probably got a lot of these, like fifteen years ago or something like that, right, And I thought, well, of these, That's why I went like Bettis, Roethlisberger, names like that.
Speaker 3: What about like frank O'harris? Do you have a frank O Harris?
Speaker 1: I do not have a Franco Harris. You want the rest of them? Off the top of my head, that I can think of.
Speaker 3: Was that lips guy. I like that was a fun name on a.
Speaker 1: Louis Lipps. Yes, the old wide receiver back in the really bad days of Migulas.
Speaker 4: In between the eighties and the in between the seventies, and then they became good again in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is a wide receiver that I have two of that you have not mentioned. And it's not stalwarth or Swan. Oh, it's got to be the guy that was the hero in the Super Bowl. But is it heinz Ward? Is that w That is correct? I got it right, but it's late though. I don't get credit for that. D my all time favorite Steeler. Yeah, told me that before. I think you've told me that.
Speaker 3: Uh no, offensive lineman, I thought, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I do. I have a Dermonty Dawson. And the reason I got it was we went to the Hall of Fame and I saw the list of people that were going to be signing and he was one of them. So I went online I bought a Dermanti Dawson jersey so he could sign it for me, and he did. He was a super nice guy.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: I didn't know And so that's your your alignement. And what other U I think some we'll just name them. Oh, Carnell remember Carnell Lake. He was good, but that was a long time ago. You probably don't have.
Speaker 1: No, I don't have him. One that you might not have gotten, and I only got it for kind of sentimental reasons was Ryan Shazier, the Steeler linebacker who's career ended when he was paralyzed, although he did regain a lot of his movement. And yes, I think, yeah, that was that was a sentimental one that I that I got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big heart, Eddie. People say you're just cold, but you have a big heart.
Speaker 1: Look at that giant heart.
Speaker 3: Giant, massive, huge heart.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: All right, Well that ends the Steeler jersey game. So the main reason I was gonna have you on original I reached out to you, Eddie. I said, you know, I think I actually attempted the other night this is Friday, but the other night on Wednesday, actually did a hockey monologue on the Stanley Cup final. And and of course you're the hockey guy, but you know I'm not, and so I but I watched the game and I did used to cover hockey many years ago. I covered the Kings and whatnot. So I know hockey, I just don't talking about much. But I wanted to get your You're the big Hockey podcast, Eddie. How many how many hockey podcasts do you do?
Speaker 3: Two? Three, four, five, six, three three?
Speaker 1: Not one, not one, not two, but three three?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's a lot. That's a lot.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're all over the NHL. So the Florida pants Now, I picked Edmonton to win this series.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 4: I like stars. I'm all about the stars. Connor McDavid is the big star. But the Florida Panthers in that game, they only played well for one really one period in my analysis, and in the in the third period in particular, Yeah, look like they were I don't know what they were. They were skating in sand or something. Can you explain, Eddie how that happened? I mean, I I was like, again, I picked Edmonton. So I'm happy Edmonton won and all that, but I could not believe how poorly Florida looked in the in that late part of the game, like they worn out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Apparently they tried to take a page from the La Kings postseason playbook and just crapped themselves in the third period of games against the Oilers. Now, two shots on goal in the third period is pathetic after seventeen shots on goal in the second period. I mean, talk about a complete flip of the script. But and I look, I hate the Edmondson Oilers with a passion, and I am rooting very hard for the Florida Panthers. But Edmonton had to win that game. When it's in overtime and they get a power play because dumb dumb threw it off the playing service and end of the crowd Toomas, no sick for Florida, Like you're like, they have to win this game. They've been the better team. They've got home ice this year. They didn't have it last year. The stars have showed up for him. McDavid and dry Title are already playing well and here they are in overtime at home against the defending Stanley Cup champs. They have to win this game. I thought if they were to blow that game, it would have been a gigantic defeat. But they get the power play. McDavid sets up dry see I'll drive home safely and all all is happy north of the border. But a very solid performance for Edmonton. I picked him to win the series because my picks have been so bad that I'm trying to do the reverse voodoo on them. Yeah. Yeah, I picked against them in every round, including against my kings, and they've won every round. So now I'm like, okay, enough, I'm going to try it the other way and see how it goes. But no, that was I thought that was a hell of a game. One goes over time, you have the lead change, you have some controversy with the goalie interference thing, and then you know, it ends up going in overtime and the stars, you know, like I said, McDavid and dry Settle show up. So a terrific start to the Stanley Cup Finals for the NHL.
Speaker 3: And my day ed the broadcast on tn T.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, friend the great Kenny Albert, who I know, you know because he's he used to listen to the occasional Malor Overnight listener and he's, uh, you know, I love that and you know sports with Coleman pal And and Eddie Oldchuk when I you remember by briefly did that crap at the studio show at NBC years ago, and he was at one of the copy and one time I've told I used to tell this, Sory Eddie, you got to kick out of this because I at one time the guy that was supposed to be on set to talk about hockey wasn't there, so I had to talk hockey and and he just busted my balls.
Speaker 3: He just thought that was funny.
Speaker 4: I'm like this, meetthead football fan and I had to like breakdown, breakdown hockey.
Speaker 3: It was really funny.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The other thing, as you know that the number.
Speaker 4: One cliche in the playoffs that he's a series does not start until the home team loses.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's usually an NBA thing though, isn't it, But it works in hockey.
Speaker 3: Two. I think it works in hockey too.
Speaker 1: Because the road teams win so often in hockey.
Speaker 4: I believe it still works though I'm going fine, Shay, So it hasn't really started until the home team loses and then the things. The other thing is everything I read as I did my copious amounts of research was that we're Stuart Skinner blows but he's playing well good and then but it was a bold strategy by Florida to not even really test Stuart Skinner from.
Speaker 3: Most of the game. Like if you if you have a weak link, don't you.
Speaker 4: Isn't sports one oh one or just any You just attack the weak link. And Florida did not put any pressure, did not make Stuart Skinner make saves late in the game.
Speaker 3: They just know how many shots they had.
Speaker 4: It's like, if that's the week you have, you're supposedly have the better goaltender.
Speaker 3: Although you did blow a three.
Speaker 4: To one lead, so I don't don't know how good Browsky was blowing that lead.
Speaker 3: But Stuart Skinner ady, who your Kings?
Speaker 4: How many goals did they score against him before they finally choked, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the third period of those games?
Speaker 1: But my god, well he got he got benched after the first two games the Kings won, and he didn't get back in until someone got hurt. That's the only reason he's playing is because the backup Calvin Picker, who's six and oh in the playoffs, but he can't get his job back now because Skinner has come back and now they're winning with him. But he is definitely the week league CA and you're a hundred center right. They have to wait, they have to put more pressure on him. That third period was shocking that they would I think it was the what was it the first time in thirty something games they blew a three third period lead under their head coach Paul Maurice.
Speaker 4: There was something like, oh yeah, yeah when they had to lead at the end of the first and second period.
Speaker 1: I saw they were thirty one to zer going into the third period with the lead in playoff games under Paul Maurice. So bye bye to that. But they only have themselves to play them, obviously, But it also didn't they look they can't. The Oilers had to had to win that game. They take advantage that dumb play where the where you know, the delay a game puck off the ice. I mean, they had to come through on that one. And they did, and and Florida let the door open for him, and and they orders took advantage.
Speaker 3: All well, I've been told by one of my guys in Boston, I gotta get any thought. The Bruins hired a new coach. Idiot. I don't even know if you know this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I know him very very well usually.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, Marco st Strom is Storm Storm Marco sterm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know who this is.
Speaker 4: But he is the thirtieth head coach of the Boston Bruins.
Speaker 3: As you know, Eddie, we have a lot of listeners there in Boston.
Speaker 4: They love you and they love hockey and they I wish Eddie was here to bring Okay. So Eddie, you're here, Bruh, you're on the fifth hour. So good Hire bad higher. I've never heard of the guy.
Speaker 1: Well, he was the La Kings HL head coach, which is if you're if you don't know what that means, basically their Triple A team, if you know, if you're more a baseball guy, he was. He was the head coach of their farm team that's here in Ontario, California, and he'd been there for many years. He had played briefly with the Kings. He played for the Bruins and had ties to that organization. Those guys over there know him, and uh, he was being groomed as being the next King's head coach at some point, but it never like that was the thinking of it for for years and it just kind of wasn't happening, and they kept because the Kings felt like they were close. They didn't think it was a good idea to hand over a team that was, in their eyes, a Stanley Cup contender to a guy who never coached in the NHL before, so they hired Todd McClellan. Uh, and then they fire him and they promote the interim coach, and they I don't know if they thought that was gonna work out. But then this guy leads them to you know, the the tied for the most wins and points in a regular season ever. But then he vomits in the playoffs. So I just think, you know, he had Marco Sturm had been groomed to be a head coach. The Kings thought highly of him. He had coached professionally in Europe for a little while. So we'll see. He's taken over a team that's not very good. He's got one good player and David Pasternak, and we'll see what else they have. But there, they don't like to talk about rebuilding in Boston because that's just not the culture of sports there. As you know, I think, though, they're they're gonna have to do a little bit of a rebuild there.
Speaker 3: So we'll see. He's he's unproven.
Speaker 4: He's a fly good, but they don't I mean not a not a Philadelphia flyer, but he's he's a you know, a guy just taking a shot I got you all right, very.
Speaker 3: Good and uh, you know, we did the whole hockey thing. Have you ever been to Vancouver, by the way, have you ever been?
Speaker 1: I have? I thought it was beautiful. How did you guys like it?
Speaker 3: I loved it. I had no expectations at all.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And our buddy Nico, who's a fan of yours by the way as well, is a big p one there in Vancouver.
Speaker 3: He's very kind.
Speaker 1: He rolled out the red carpet for us, and he offered to uh to fly me up there, by the way. I don't know if you do that or not. Yeah, you should have. Yeah, I had had to work. I had to do my little podcasting things, so but I appreciate that. That was incredibly generous. And I looked like, you guys had a great time.
Speaker 3: We did it. We did have a fun time, had a good turnout. And it's you know, you never know who's listening, right Eddie.
Speaker 4: We've been on and off the the Overnight Show has been on and off in Vancouver over the years, and and we had you know, guys coming from all over Vancouver and people from all over you know, different parts of Canada that showed up there and Vancouver was just great. And the thing that I wandered around. I didn't go to any games because we're supposed to go to a soccer game, but the team the game, the white Caps, moved the game to Mexico, so we obviously we didn't go to that, but.
Speaker 3: Yes, couldn't make it there.
Speaker 4: But wandering around Vancouver was like, it's so beautiful that I love the skyline. And then at the city, you know, on one side, but you got the this Stanley Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know who Lord Stanley is. You know, he's been you know, long dead before I came around. But I would say Stanley Park more impressive than the Stanley Cup.
Speaker 3: Eddy, what an amazing place that is.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that, Listen. I think Stanley Park's wonderful. We went to Stanley Park. When we went there, absolutely awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Stanley Park is this massive. It's bigger than Central Park and awesome. You've got the skyline on one side, huge trees, water surrounded by water.
Speaker 1: It's just seaplanes, like, I mean, it's I loved it. I thought it was gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Oh, it was so sweet. I did not expect that. I had no expectations the other thing that I thought really put Vancouver on the map. Do you know what's right across the street from the Canuckserena, Eddie, do you know what's right? There's a one street you cross over. There's a lot of traffic, so you gotta be careful. And do you know what's right across the street do you remember?
Speaker 1: Well, well, we were all around there, but I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: That would be a Costco food court literally across the street from the Canucks Arena.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're laughing, Eddie, but I am.
Speaker 1: Did you go? I mean, it's a stupid question, but it could they sell poutine?
Speaker 4: Yes, Costco putin Yes, I had Costco poutine. They have chicken fingers, Eddie, and the Costco they have sushi. So my guy, our friend Eddie, not you, I mean Nico, Eddie, Nico who's lives there in Vancouvers and fan of your work and my work, and so Nico he's telling me, like they go. When people go to games in Vancouver, whether it's the CFL team, the Canadian Football League team there or the hockey team, they load up. There's a huge line at Costco because it's so cheap. You can tailgate and get the food and it's hot, you know, because they got all the normal pizza and hot dogs.
Speaker 5: That is wild right across the street, all this amazing dirt cheap, I mean advantage Vancouver massive.
Speaker 1: You're applying for your visa now you're moving moving to Vancouver. Was it was quite expensive? What I hear? But it is beautiful?
Speaker 4: Well, it is expensive, but remember because of the US currency versus the Canadian currency, it's like a twenty seven percent discount.
Speaker 1: And who am I to say it's expensive. I live in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: I know the price of gas is obscene here. Everything is just absolutely crazy, crazy.
Speaker 4: Town all the way around. Now the football season. I did some math on this. The NFL season eighty is like ninety something, maybe less.
Speaker 3: Than that, I think remember less than ninety days away from the NFL.
Speaker 4: And you and your wife always going some road trips. Have you planned anything this year? You are you eyeing something? NFL road trip twenty twenty five? There is there something you're looking at here. I'm guessing you're gonna do Chargers, not Steelers, because you know.
Speaker 1: You're well, the Steelers are once again coming to LA to places right away.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna have to try to go to that game. When is that game?
Speaker 1: I'll have to try to go to that, gay, I'll be a That is going to be Sunday night, so that might not work out for you. That is on November the ninth.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's somewhat that's like this, Well, I guess it's not early in the season. That'd be a third month of the year, right September. Okay, so it's been October Neber, so yeah, okay, that'd be decent, you know, not bad. So you don't have to go Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Right any we are not going to Brazil, which is the Chargers opener in Plo, Brazil.
Speaker 4: Get the banana hammock out there, Come on, man, No, missus.
Speaker 1: Garcia had no interest in going to South America. She she was very upset that Europe was not on the schedule there for the Chargers. Although the the you know, if something, look, I'll be you know this is going on with me. They're her, my wife, God bless her her. She's got family members, her mom and her sister, who are going through very difficult health issues right now. So there are no plans for anything right now. You know what I mean, We can't plan on anything. However, you know, there the Steelers are playing in in Ireland this year and that would be kind of a dream trip because she wants to go to Ireland and seeing the Steelers in Ireland would be pretty awesome. So it's if if anything in you know, along, if if it aligns right, maybe there's a chance that could happen. Uh, they're playing the Packers. What a legacy kind of game that is. That would be amazing, But it probably won't happen, to be honest with you, but that would be a hell of a trip. But we don't. We don't unfortunately right now. Think everything's on hold. Everything is on hold right now.
Speaker 4: So yeah, one thing that's not on hold is your podcasting.
Speaker 3: As you are there the.
Speaker 4: Joe Rogan of Hockey podcasts here dominating that world and people I run up before I forget I did. I did harass you at the meet and greet in Vancouver because your name kept coming up, and so I finally was like, listen, I just want to call Eddie. I just I said I because people kept asking about you, and not that I don't love talking about you, but I was like well, I have his number, I'll just call him. So I called you up randomly. You actually answered the phone, and then I passed the phone around a little bit, and and you made people very happy. The guys that were there and their friend, the mail man, some of they were very happy. So I'm glad that you were able to do that.
Speaker 3: How can people find these podcasts?
Speaker 1: The way?
Speaker 3: How can people find you? Three podcasts? I know you do the Kings one, I know that.
Speaker 1: So there's there's the Puck podcast, which is you're gonna hope you down for this, right, we're going into our twentieth year. Wow, doing the Puck podcast.
Speaker 4: That was even they had Puck. They didn't have podcasts when you started.
Speaker 1: Well, not not the way we know them now. No, it was it was a very novel thing back when we started. And there's a rumor it could be the final season. What of the podcast?
Speaker 3: Would you know?
Speaker 1: No, so we'll see, we'll see, really, but coming up on the twenty year, there you just if you want to find that, you know Apple podcast, all the places you look, Puck podcast. Uh, then you've got the Locked on l a Kings podcast, which is five days a week sometimes six I'm feeling feeling good even in the off season every day. I know, I know it, Edie.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed. No, it's impressive and holy crap. All right.
Speaker 1: At the end of the year, they hired me to do a nightly NHL recap show called Locked on NHL Game Night, which will be out there this weekend for you guys to hear. And there's even a rumor they're going to try and maybe keep it around in the off season, although I don't know how that's gonna work, but I'm not gonna complain with it if it happens, because that's money for me. But again, all these shows, Puck podcasts, Locked on LA Kings, Locked on NHL Game Night, wherever are you looking for your podcasts? And also on YouTube, we have YouTube shows as well. Just search any of those shows titles and you will you will see those. You'll see my face and we may not want to see in my face because I've face made for radio, but it's there for you to enjoy in the audio form and the video form. And I thank you all for your support.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at that very nice. Well, you're earning your money, Eddie, and you're learning.
Speaker 4: And I like that, as I've always said, Eddie, right, this is like this, we're in June now, and this is the time of the year that separates those that can do talk radio and those that new podcasting. It's easy to do these jobs when there's a lot going on, right, you come in there, there's like seventeen different things you're ready to run and yap about.
Speaker 3: But the real art of audio.
Speaker 4: Is coming in when there's not anything really juicy, and you can make it compelling and have people want to listen like That's that's what separates people.
Speaker 1: So well, my shows are only thirty minutes to an hour. You're you're your four hours, You're you're the You're in the Hall of Fame. I'm still you know, I'm the miners here.
Speaker 4: Oh no, that's great. And at some point, probably sooner than later, I'll be just like you. I'll just be doing some podcasts. That's it, and that's that's how it's gonna go. And I'm fine with that. I'm thirty minutes, I can rant I can probably do that blindfold.
Speaker 1: At thirty I think you could, to be honest with there at.
Speaker 4: This point after all these years. Uh oh, and one more thing, I know I'm taking.
Speaker 3: Much of your time.
Speaker 4: I want you to again remind people, Eddie, because this, this has become a it's become a real issue the last couple of months here, actually last couple of years. You worked in the stat world, right, you were in that world, and I keep seeing these random stats pop up or this it's the first time ever that this has happened. And they add like seven variables. To explain, Eddie again, why this is ridiculous, Because what they do is theyre when you were doing it. They demand that you find a unique stat.
Speaker 3: Right, isn't that how that work? Can you explain how that works?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And we even had the assistance of computer programmers at the time where we could go to them and they could access some ridiculous database and they would find the last time, you know, something ridiculous happened. But yeah, we would. You know, back when I worked in the TV side of things, they would have some extraoc doing something. Let's just say back in the day it was Steve Sachs was the Baseball Insider exactly, and he and he would say, you know, hey, I need something that shows that the White Sox bullpen is one of the best bullpins in all of Major League Baseball, and then they'd spin out some stat that he could throw out there and you'd completely ignore some other stat that says that's complete crap, but it it's just you could find any stat to justify just about any other opinion. So that's that's how it used to work, which is why I raised an eyebrow and a lot of different stats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I'm right there with you, because they they'll they'll throw in that like triples or some weird like in baseball, they're throwing some weird stat.
Speaker 3: Anyway, all right, we'll get out.
Speaker 4: I remember at all those podcasts type in Puck podcast could be the iconic final season of the Puck Podcast. And you've got you've got all your your your deals over there with the Locked On podcast group.
Speaker 3: So you've got that. Is our friend Tom Lee still there, the great Tom Lee.
Speaker 1: He certainly is. Yeah, he was a part of me getting that latest job on Locked on NHL Game Night, so I had to talk to him and set hello to him.
Speaker 4: And yes, my best Tom Lee was the original boss of Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Tom Lee hired me and I guess you too, right Eddie of me.
Speaker 4: Both of us were here, yes, both of us at Fox Sports, right, and I'm internally grateful to Tom Lee, one of the great broadcast minds out there.
Speaker 3: So anyway, all right, thanks Eddie, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you Ben, and thank you all of the people out there in Benn mallor Land. I don't care. I'm leaving. Goodbye.
Speaker 3: Gotta murder, I gotta go.