Speaker 1: The majority of us. Our flex was like coming in with McDonald's. You were working on McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, we bring.
Speaker 1: A happy meal, we like. Hold on now he on my TV?
Speaker 2: Yeah one?
Speaker 1: If y'all at your boy Kevin on stage, or we'll welcome you to Not My Best Moment, a podcast where I talk to my friends artists, athletes, and entertainers about their failures and what they learned from them. My guest today is a dear friend and a immensely talented gentleman. You may know him from Disney's Holes, from a Roll Balance or Friday After Next, any number of TV shows, Scream Tour. More recently, you know him from gaming anime Four Controllers. You may know him from a myriad of things, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Cleo, Thomas, what's up, Ken? How you feeling? Brother?
Speaker 1: I feel good, Cleo. It's good to have you on here. While I got you, I might as well tell you. I've told you this in private, but I will tell you this in public. I admire you tremendously. You are a person who's taken not only their career into their own hands, You've taken it personally into your own hands. A lot of times. You know, celebrities people have been on for a long time. They truly, truly, truly struggle to transtransition into any other form of medium, and you are so successful. People are finding out that you were in movies after knowing you from gaming. Yeah, it's almost come full circle now that Hey, you're the guy from homes. Now it's wait, you're in homes So.
Speaker 2: We've slightly eclipsed the resume just to bit.
Speaker 1: One thousand percent. So welcome to the show. Cleio Thomas, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm amazing man, Thanks for having me man. I appreciate those kind words. Kevin Yees like you mentioned you have told me that face with being able to you know, for you to reiterate it to me, Man, it really does mean a lot because in the same respect that you have for me, I have the utmost respect for you what you built, knowing that I met you just years ago from all death right yeah, and knowing with the system what the system was there and compared to what you built today. Man, Just believing, keeping your faith in God, keeping wife you by your side, making sure you're a great stand up not only a husband but father. Like all of that is inspiring man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. So yeah, let's go back to All Death. I met you. I want to say, excuse me, I'm a little under the weather. Twenty sixteen or seventeen, maybe maybe a little early, but it was around it was around peak All Death times. I think we just moved to the downtown office, and I remember you came. You came and did great taste, and Pat was like over the moon to have you. He was like, yo, y'all got to meet this dude, Cleo. He's so funny. He was in all these movies and stuff. So I was expecting a pompous a hole. I did not get that. Got somebody who was very nice. I mean, immediately disarmed. And that's not say anything about you. It's just like a lot of times the people that I met there the stars, they looked down upon what we were doing at All Death. They you know, it was kind of like beneath them. So I was like, Okay, here'll come this other curly headed guy, handsome, light skin. He's gonna think he's better than us. And you, you didn't come in like that. And then I remember I hit you with a joke and you hit me with a joke back so much harder that I was like, oh, yeah, this okay, he's gonna he's gonna fit in just fine here. Yeah, man, something about my hairline follicles. You could hear my hairline follicles, if I'm not mistaken, was a joke. Yeah, but that was part of your Well where where were you in your journey at that time?
Speaker 2: Great question, man, during the rebuilding phase. Really, during the rebuilding phase I had, I was I was a really early adopter to the Internet, right. I saw I saw actors uh starting to waiver and not be able to keep a level of consistency when it came to their job, no matter if there were child actors or actors were way older at me. Right. But then the Internet starts taking off. We're seeing YouTube break, all these brand new start like like like personalities, and I was like, interesting, So do you remember you stream back in the day. Yeah, okay. I was one of the first people to have a U stream deal because I was like, wow, I can just go live, I can just do a talk show like right here. So I was just going for it, man. So little things like that were kind of like the building blocks to what I was able to build uh in the online space. So when the opportunity came up to come to All Death, I was immediately in. I had met Pat at like nine thirty at night at a at a store and I was buying a Nintendo switch and he was buying a Nintental switch, and I told him I would love to come in one day and.
Speaker 3: At first switch yo, sh sh ship yo, you guys cute, You're like past pass, not gonna let you get that one off.
Speaker 2: Bro, PA's gonna come come back to you for that one man. So yeah, man. I had told him that I'm a huge fan of him and all Deaf and I would love to work one day. And about two weeks later he reached out to me. He gave me a call time, told me to come through, and I knew I was walking into a very different arena. Because yes, it's one thing for me to be the actor, it's one thing for me to have been on set with comedians, but All Death was different, and I wanted to I wanted to be able to be a part of it. I wanted to be able to keep up because I did. I did feel if you come in there and you and you can't swim you're gonna get destroyed.
Speaker 1: And that that happened to a lot of people. I'm so sorry. Not that we can do.
Speaker 2: So. It was that, brother, it was at the it was at the right time, man, and I got to give you guys credit for this. keV, I have to credit all of you for giving me a sense of humor. Dog really, yes, sir, yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: At that you you didn't have a sense of humor at that time.
Speaker 2: I had a sense of humor.
Speaker 1: Kevin weren't to use it.
Speaker 2: Both both I had a sense of humor, but was never able to use it because you know, my roles and everything I was booking. I'm not a comedy guy. I'm not the actor to have the comedic timing in the moments. I have to credit you guys for giving me a sense of humor. And at the same time, it was at a space where I was maybe maybe very jaded, you feel me, So I was taking myself very I think I was taking myself too seriously, Like I couldn't take a joke without immediately getting defensive because I'm like, or you to throw a shot at me, like I ain't did this, this, this, this, and this.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and then all of a sudden, those credits don't matter right now during Great Taste, none of that matters.
Speaker 2: Nope. And at that time, the squad was like on that channel, the squad was the dream Team, the All Star.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was like you could have had a legit celebrity to be like, yeah, keep them out of here, bro, they're messing up the vibes of the like people who work there. So I could see how that could be intimidating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it was. It was you know, maybe a year or two years before that where I started feeling that about myself, like being like, why am I so immediately like defensive when people get to talking to me and you know, maybe it's just a joke. Is that Are they being serious? Why am I taking it personally? And then the moment I've got into the All Death Arena immediately gave me a better understanding of like, it ain't a personal thing, it's not at all, bro, Like, this is this is all love.
Speaker 1: We could go from laughing at lunch, go and roast each other for for two hours and then come right back to laughing. Yeah, and we don't remember half the things we said at that time yeah, I want to understand. Okay, you said you were rebuilding, right, so you know, I know a lot of us know your story, but there's listeners to this podcast who are learning about you for the first time, and I want to be you know, fair to them. Take us back prior to all death. Take us back through your journey. I feel like every time I talk to you, I learned something else that you did. But take so people can understand how how hard that rebuild was. Take us back through you know you were, you were a child star, You're you're considered a child star, so you know, give us kind of a brief rundown of your history up until that point. And how old were you when you came to Allay?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you remember you said it was like twenty seventeen, so we're yeah, ten years ago, so you know, twenty twenty six, twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, So take us back to your early the early part of your Hollywood career.
Speaker 2: Man, I told my mom I wanted to be an actor when we were five years old. We were living in Barstow, we had just got my dad, just got out of the military, and she asked me something that I still want to pursue. I said, yeah, and we just figured it out. We were just running a race trying to figure this out, going to auditions, doing commercial auditions. The first thing ever booked was like a McDonald's commercial. Right, we go and do that. And then after that I ended up booking a show called Family Law. Then after that, I ended up booking a CBS kid show. I hosted the cartoons for CBS every Saturday.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right, it was really cool. So like second or third grade, like I'm writing, like, you know, you see you asking you what do you want to be? It's like I want to be an actor. And as I'm doing these things in school, like my classmates are watching me every Saturday get turned into a cartoon and hosts their favorite shows. Like that was like the early early stuff.
Speaker 1: So the majority of us our flex was like coming in with McDonald's and you were working on McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we bring.
Speaker 1: A hoppy meal. We like hold on now he yeah on my TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I got a chance to be a part of the you know, McDonald's would do the two commercials. They would show the regular one and then like the kids meal one every time. That used to be their promo and I was a part of the Kid's meal run for the Little Mermaid re release or something like that, and it was it was sick man. So years later we book a film called Holes, right, and I had done no Disney work prior to that. I did Friday After Next right before that. So I went from being on a set with Mike Epp and Mike Epps and Kat Williams and ice Cube to being on the set of Holes, which was a Disney production. And now I'm working with Sigourney Weaver, who I was a huge fan of because I'm a sci fi guy love Aliens. Right. Yeah. After that, then we get Walking Tall with the Rock, then we get roll Bounce. Then we do to these TV shows like like CSI, which I think I've told you about this as far as the episode that I'm met with CSI, it's called Popping Tags, cav I'll tell you about this. Mmm mmm.
Speaker 1: I knew I was gonna learn some more stuff about you today, But go ahead.
Speaker 2: I need to tell you who's the guest stars on this episode because you you run production now, so you tell me how much did this episode costs? You? Ready?
Speaker 1: I'm ready?
Speaker 2: Method man? Oh snap, We'll start with him Akon, Oh my god, Obi Trice really, Travis Barker all in the same episode, Rick Gonzalez who's from Roll Bounce as well, and Biker Boys, myself, Michael B. Jordan, all of ya are in one episode, in one episode. And there's a few names I'm not that, I'm not that I'm blanking out at the moment, but there's even more credible names. Katerina Graham, Page Kennedy's in there as well. It's insane, it's insane. So we go on to do that. Man, So just just running the race, running the race, you know. And I look back at that time, and the one thing that I look back and I know that we didn't do a great job at We didn't run the pr game of Hollywood. That's the one thing I did not do. My jobs came from if you asked me for you know what was what was my ways of landing roles? It was because I was going into these auditions and doing my work. I came, I came prepared. I was making the adjustments in the room if they asked me to do them. But that's so, yeah, we were able to work, work, work, but we didn't run the pr game to elevate the brand of who Cleo Thomas is for anyone to care. You throw in the fact that during that era, you think of the young child stars, everyone had to have the good girl, gone bad or bad boy. I didn't run that race. So once Cleo's name is out of headlines, who cares?
Speaker 1: You don't have no black leather caught smoking, peeing and drunk here, which does give you some life. A lot of stars have that, and I'm not saying they do it on purpose, but it does keep your name on people's minds.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, yeah, it's it's a It is a play. If we're playing sports, it is a play to run, is all I can say about it. Yeah, man, Yeah, So we go from that, man, and then you know, as every child actor gets to a space, you know, around I want to say around the eighteen or nineteen era is where I saw things kind of shift for me where there weren't a lot of black producers, directors, writers in charge at that time. Yeah, it wasn't like that. So if I'm walking into a room and I have the resume and I've worked with already on this project, in this project, they're like, hey, yeah, he's black. Yeah, let's run it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was that.
Speaker 2: Now look at where we are when I say around the you know, eighteen or nineteen era, there started being a little like a lot more people in charge, and they want to tell black stories. So when they say black actors, you look at me. I am not what is the depiction of what a black actor looks like? Especially because you don't like traditional mac and cheese? You bring this up? Have I not put this to rest with you already? You will never put it to rest with me, sir. Just this past Christmas shout out to my good friend Tiffany followed the Yellow Brick road Girl, huge Wizard of Oz fan. She heard about my craft mac and cheese thing, and she said, I refuse to be friends with you until you eat my mac and cheese. She brought me her homemade mac and cheese, and keV I can say, I have been converted, sir.
Speaker 1: You've seen the light.
Speaker 2: I'm here. I'm here, baby. Every year I want it, I want it. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all my years.
Speaker 1: I can tell you this is why it took so long to get you on this episode. And every time they were like Kleaw was like.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know, y'all.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, that whole mac and cheese thing just roughly the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I could admit my faults and I could tell you now give me the whole plate. I'm on the sun, man, I'm on that time now, man. So it's that as well. I look at that that era, man, and we're seeing so many more when I when I saw the ship, the transition of our industry be able to let more black creators, writers, director's producers make that decision of who's going to be in these roles. I did see the pair of the whole pendulum shift to where it's like, hey, we want to tell black stories and the depiction of a light skinned black guy don't really look like you. You know, my mom's Moroccan. You feel me?
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that my mom's.
Speaker 2: Moroccan, dad's black. So it's like, I want everyone who's watching this episode right now, like I want I want to give people listening, and I want to give people an example. I want you all to go watch I show speeds live stream in Morocco because he did a whole eye show speed around African thing. I want you to go see I show speed around a whole bunch of Moroccans, and that will immediately give you the understanding of, like, visually, why I see such a big I don't want to call it a roadblock, but it's like when you think of a black actor. If you go sit me right next a Moroccan guy right next to is show speed, They're not going to look at the Moroccan guy and be like, that's a black guy.
Speaker 1: For sure, Yeah, for sure, that makes a lot of sense. I noticed you said you say we when you're referring to the roles you booked. Why do you use the term we?
Speaker 2: Nay, that is a great question, Doug. You know why I say that, man, and my mom gives me credit for it because I say it in conversation with her all the time. I say we because it's my mom and dad believed in me at a very early age. It took a risk. I'm their oldest son. There was no way this was you know, supposed to work out, and then it did. So when I say we, it's literally everything that has come with me, my mom, my dad, my brother's, my sister. I do consider it us as a UNI. Right, So that's why I say we. No one's ever asked me that. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people have been saying I'm a great interviewer. I've been getting better and better, And I agree with them, because if you're a child star, especially starting in Barstow, it takes a tremendous amount of time to audition, even if you lived in Hollywood. And because this is back before zoom, so your audition, you know, you your audition is maybe two o'clock, right, That means you have to leaven enough time to be there by one thirty. Then you're waiting. You know, two o'clock doesn't always mean right at two. It could mean two, two thirty three, three forty five. And then the audition is five minutes, and then you drive all the way back. Somebody's got to take you and pick you up all those times exactly. And then when you book a movie, they are taking time off fmla going without like it does take a village, you know. And then your other siblings also have to sacrifice because of what you are accomplishing. That takes your parents away from from them. So I agree with you. It is a wee thing more than just cleo did it by himself, especially if you're under age. You know, you can't drive yourself to those auditions.
Speaker 2: Nah, man, And I heard a thousand no's before I ever heard my first. Yes, you know, I remember my mark.
Speaker 1: That really a thousand no's, like literally a thousand but like you really didn't have success immediately.
Speaker 2: Oh no, absolutely not, absolutely nothing. There was a there was so many auditions, so as far as commercial auditions, there were so many films and television shows like, uh, I think the Little Rascals. I got that close. I got to the very end and they were like nope. And I remember crying on the right in the back of my mom's camera on that one, the original Little Rascal, the one that, of course not the black and white joint, but yeah, the one that no.
Speaker 1: No, the one with alfalfa, alfalfa and dark. So that was with ninety four now.
Speaker 2: Somewhere around that era. Yep. Wow, yeah, man, I remember crying about that. But I remember my mom driving my mom and dad driving me to these auditions, man, and going into these rooms and it's full, it's just you know, a cattle call. It's not just the parents, it's the kids. And then around the corner. They're having a commercial audition for something else. It's grown folks there. It's it was chaos, you know. Yeah, so to have made it through it, man, it's it's it's really you know, it's a testament to where we are today in Hollywood and entertainment, which is very different. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So before we get to your current I want to go to the screen tour. Hey, taking a quick break here and support the show by supporting this concert. How did you end up as bow?
Speaker 2: Right? Man?
Speaker 1: It might be my favorite fun fact about you man.
Speaker 2: So here's how it goes down. Coming off of Holes. I had wrote the theme song for the film right, So music had always been something.
Speaker 4: Wait, look theme song for Holes? Yeah you wrote that? Yes, I didn't know that. Yeah, it's me. Dougie Fresh was in the studio with us, and yeah the rest of the cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow yeah, bro Okay, continue, I told you I was gonna learn some more stuff about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Brother, So I wrote the theme song for the film Holes, So music I was always drawn to, Uh, we're getting ready to do roll Bounds. Bows geared enough to do his next you know, album, drop and next tour, and we just became friends playing video games. We played Madden NBA Live every single day on set, and that's how we became friends. And then he, Uh, one day and I gotta tell this story, keV. Check this out. You remember a couple of years ago, Bao got caught like on the Instagram catfish and stuff like he was on a private but wasn't. And it's a photo of him. keV. The only time I personally have ever been on a private jet was with Bow. It's it's the second month of filming Roll Bounds. He's got a dip from set to go do a show like in Florida. He's like, Yo, you want to come? You off set? You want to come? I was like sure, I'm thinking I didn't know what was going to happen. We put up to a private airport. Private jet flies us to Florida, flies us right back. So like I I've been in that experience with him. And then he go and do that dumb thing. I'm like, damn it. So uh we have that moment and Bow just asked me man. We had wrapped the set and he's like, Yo, do you want to call on screen? So you're gonna be my hype man. And I didn't really know what he meant. I didn't know what he needed me to do. The new album's coming out, it's rehearsals. Maybe a week before tour, he sends me the CD, and I know, looking back on it, there was some doubt from his team because by this time, this is bow Wow, three albums in three screen, tour level arenas. Yeah, so anyone just brand new stepping into that space, and like I know, they were distant. They were like, oh, this ain't gonna be it, right, risky, yeah, a risk, A risk for sure. I showed up to rehearsals with every bow Wow lyric memorized, including the new stuff. Day one. Day one of rehearsals, Bow's not even there. It's just me and the DJ, and I wrapped every single song.
Speaker 1: Front to bath.
Speaker 2: I knew the records. All I needed to know is how we were gonna do. Just tell me how we're setting the records up.
Speaker 1: So would you say that the actor part of you was like, come prepared and then you can be directed once you're prepared.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, one hundred percent. There was no way I was showing up down there just thinking like oh, I'm the guy, Like oh, like no, no, no, no, no, no, I need to know what lyrics and which songs were dropping. Wow, you probably.
Speaker 1: Put so many people's minds at ease that first day. Oh bro, I'm sure I didn't. I'm sure I did.
Speaker 2: Shout out to his manasmin team shout out to his mom, shout out to the label, like I get I do understand it. I get it. Yeah, it's like, yo, he did. You're bringing a kid. You did a movie with that kid from holes like the Disney Kid, which I've always thought was funny as far as the label is Disney Kid, because it's like I was talking to a few of the other people who come from that you know that machine, and I'm like, I'm technically not a Disney.
Speaker 1: Kid, right, not the way like Mighty Cyrus.
Speaker 2: Is not even close. I didn't come through the machine. I didn't come through that machine.
Speaker 1: That machine is like you are the sidekick on one show three seasons. You might be the side kid more high Up three seasons. Then you get your show, you know, present day it was on something that Kick It In or something issues on Casey Undercover. Then they got the music, Like it could be a ten year process if you're really part of the machine.
Speaker 2: But you just did a Disney movie. I did one Disney film which was technically just Disney distributed, and it just happens to live forever because it's an incredible story. Yeah, incredible book, cult classic, great film. I'm the black Harry Potter. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I want to ask you, and then we're gonna move to your career. A lot of people who are known a lot for one thing tend to be angry about that and they want to be so much more. You are so much more. But you you never seem to be frustrated that people know you from holes. Whenever I've seen you in aront I remember when we did the podcast, Mecca and Jamila were like, oh my god, it's Kleil Thomas. You're always very open and speak positively about that experience. Is it because you have so many other things going on? Or have you always been like that? Was there any moment where you were like, I'm so much more than this one movie, you.
Speaker 2: Know, kep great question, and I know from other people's experiences that that does exist. It is hard for some folks. It's hard. They don't want to be just known for everything right, for sure, for sure, But then I have to look at it from other perspective of how many actors have been working for years and never had something on that resume to stand the test of time. It's one of those things from him my dream came true at thirteen for me to be here years later, and that role still gets talked about, it still resonates, if I have to look at it, that's at any given moment, right, that's that check can get cashed in from something in the world. I'm grateful for that aspect of it, man. And yeah, I've never ran from it because even if that character was not portrayed by me, I would have been a fan of that movie. I would have most likely loved that character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true. I get that, all right. So let's let's so catch.
Speaker 2: Me up to now.
Speaker 1: You you are active in gaming and anime, you're still acting. When did you when would you say like, when would you say it started turning around? Because I remember when we first were talking, you were like like you like you guys took your own your life into your heads, You got your own channels. You work at this job, but you all have your own channels like I see the value in that and that as a traditional Hollywood actor, especially from the time you came up early nineties, Like, not only did that not exist in the way it does now, it didn't exist at all, Like there was no you have your career, your own personal career. You only have what you book, your IMDb, what you've done, what you're doing, and what's what's coming. So at what point were you like, even though I'm gonna have to start all over, I'm gonna have to do this, Like what made you decide that I'm you have to begin again?
Speaker 2: I got listen, man, I don't like sitting still, I don't like being bored, and I was hungry. Period. I had already lived a life up to that point and accomplished so much in compared to my friends, my peers, and other people in the industry. But the mo that phone don't ring, you don't eat. I'm the oldest of my siblings. My dream came true at thirteen years old with this film that now the rest of the world knows. But just because I'm famous does not mean that there's a check coming in guaranteed. So me waiting on the industry to do what it said it would do. When it's like, hey, you're you're gonna go here, we're gonna do this, We're gonna do this and this, and none of those things go exactly according to plan. And now I've watched eight months of my life go by with no phone ringing nah nah, We're gonna absolutely not. So the battery got put in my back just out of a sense of like maybe maybe anger, maybe like a lot of anger, being vindictive against the industry for not just doing it. I'm not the only one with that story, you feel me sure? I know that. I think of the actors who were before me generationally, who were child actors who didn't have an opportunity to monetize themselves at all once they were offset, you know what I mean. Like, that's the other aspect of it. When I think of those late those are those nineties actors on this sitcom or this show bro. Once it was done, it was done, and that's when you saw the stuff wild out, That's when you saw the headlines because they couldn't get a.
Speaker 1: Job, right. Yeah, and you're also seen as this young thing. You're just that guy from that thing. Yeah, you know, So now you get nominated for an NAACP Image Award. Yeah, much to my surprise. You make a video saying this is your first time being nominated for anything. What was it like to get nominated for something that you were doing currently when your career has already been twenty plus years in the game.
Speaker 2: Validating for sure? And let me know that you know, I'm I'm I guess I had always walked a different path in this business. You know. I tell the story about how I thought I had to book a role in which that character that I play would become an action figure. All I ever wanted was to be a to I wanted to be able to hold myself as an action figure. Yeah. And then the fact that I sharpened my skills during the pandemic as a gamer and a host when I launched my Twitch channel to the point where Hasbro said, hey, we weren't cleared host Hasbro Postcon and we're rolling out the selfie series and Hasbro gives me all these action figures with my face on it. Wow. Yeah, you know I.
Speaker 1: Love that because I've talked, I've talked and linked about your dream coming true in the different package than you thought, right, Like I've been able to work with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and growing up watching them, the only way you would have ever thought you could work with them is you book a TV show that they're on or a movie. Yep, that cause you're but being able to do a sketch with them that I wrote and directed to promote their movie was like, I'm working with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence right now. Yeah, and I'm not even an actor in this movie. What was it like for you to achieve your dream even though it wasn't in the exact package you thought as far as coming directly from a movie, But it is the exact thing you dreamt about.
Speaker 2: Humbling, and just more proof to me. It's like, Yo, you're doing this the right way, whatever it is is and guiding you and leading you in that direction. Run run that way, keep going in that direction. And it's hard, keV. It's hard, man. It's hard to have experienced all these things that I've experienced up to this point and not get a little, as I mentioned earlier, jaded, or you start second guessing because it's like, well, I did all this, how come this doesn't cross over to here? And that still happens. I'm telling you this story right now, as far as as this this action figure and my face on end has bro having me do it. And even after that, there's moments where I'm like, am I Like, am I should I just call it? Really? Just because keV, I've been doing this since I was five. Yeah, you feel me. I've been doing it since I was five. I've seen and done a lot of things in my life. But I but I know the journey's not over. But I am. I will make sure to put that in stamping in a stone. It's like, Yo, there are days where I'm like, do I just called it? Because I'm like, what else? I don't know if I'm doing this the right way. We're not doing it, like I'm not elevating. People are asking me when are you gonna be in the next film? How come You're not? Like? People ask me, how come I'm not doing that? And I'm like, I'm literally doing everything else I've ever dreamed of. Right. I don't have that answer, my gee, but I can take inspiration from guys like Kevin on stage, who said, you know what, I knew? This is all I ever wanted to do. I'm gonna figure out how to get it done, and I can. I you are my blueprint. Your my blueprint. Come on, man, keV, I'm not joking, brother, you are my blueprint. This industry changed overnight, it really did. And my experience, I was a part of that last little era of golden Hollywood where we played by old school rules. You were only famous if you are in movies, you're a singer, you were on TV. And there were some of the little characters that just continue to pop in and out.
Speaker 1: Maybe you were the Snapple Lady.
Speaker 4: Other than that, that's that you were the Verizon.
Speaker 2: Can you hear me now, guy? You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's what you add exactly.
Speaker 2: And look at where we are today. It shifted. Everyone has the power of themsel. You don't have to wait on someone to record you. You can record yourself. You can edit it. There was no device in my household when I told my mom I wanted to be an actor that I can record, edit, put the music to it and put out there to the world. I can do that every day. Every day I get a chance to add another title to my resume. And kef you work, bro, you work hard. And if you think I'm not sitting on the sideline like yup, go, because that's the formula to do it, and we do it ourselves. No, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think it's so interesting that in just the thirteen years, thirteen years since I moved to LA, being an influencer or having a channel was like it was, it was a knock on you if you wanted to be seen as an actor. You know, there's an actor that I know, and I won't put this out his name out publicly, but he's said he was a big time influencer and in order to be considered a real actor, he had to stop social media. His agent and team was like, they won't take you seriously. So he did book, book, book, book book, and now people are like when they book him, they're like, well, what where's your followers at? And he was like, I did y'all told me not to, and the ground shifted underneath you. And then it's hard to get that back, you know what I mean, It's not so easy. And also I was thinking, you know, the same way people probably grew up watching you on homes and watching that movie over and over. If they're like the way my kids are fans of people, they're much more fans of people who are on the Internet and they spend much more time with them, so that celebrity feels infinitely stronger. Like when we would be on you know, we've been like say the Spider Man premiere, and they'd be like legit celebrities. But if ARTC World is there, they're like, oh my god, oh my god. And it could be an NBA player, you know, Marvel actor, but ARTC World they're like, but that's ARTYC World, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's Mark and Leland and Ben and yeah, that's a whole different space. Man.
Speaker 1: It's like and that's you now as well.
Speaker 2: It feels great to be able to have adapted my whole thing life like was adapter parish keV when you ask me as far as like what you know what when I said I was hungry, I had to adapter. We were gonna perish keV. There was no other option here. They weren't calling even with the resume. You just did this, did this? Did this come up? And there's no six seven months go by? Nah, brother, can't have this.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, taking a quick commercial break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: So now, how does it feel to have so much more control over your career? Is it, is it validating or do you still long for that, you know, traditional actor's life.
Speaker 2: Oh crav that is a great question. You were asking at an amazing time because it is Tomorrow was my very first day on my own production. Oh go, Tomorrow's the first day of my pilot episode that I'm shooting. Really, yes, sir, Yes, sir, Tomorrow's my very your project, my project written and co written by me, produced by me, happening tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So when I say that you are the blueprint and you're the example, I am not blowing smoke up you. But bro, I'm dead serious about that. I appreciate it. I'm dead serious about it. Man. So there's but I will answer this honestly. Right. This is the one thing on my board in the last three months that I am not taking a lot of time to think. I am just going full speed ahead whatever it is. However this is supposed to work out, I refuse to get in my own head mentally and start doing the thing where I'm like okay, and then I get ultra. I'm an aquarius, you can throw that in there. I'm trying to plot anything and everything to go wrong. I saw a clipper. You saying production is chaos anyway, Okay, lot of stuff, but I'll be listening.
Speaker 1: It is chaos anyway.
Speaker 2: I'll be listening.
Speaker 1: Whether you have a million dollar one hundred million dollar budget, it's chaos and there will be the best thing that ever happened to me is seeing that Game of Thrones episode where that Starbucks cup made it into the final edit. Yeah, because there are you've been on set. You know how many people's job it is, both on physical production and in editing to make sure that doesn't happen. And the fact that it got through on a show that the episode probably costs fifteen million dollars to make, and they had plenty of time. They might have shot a page or two that day. Come on, okay, and that mistake happens, and if they with all those people, all the graphics, they could have keeped that out for whatever reason that made it. How do you think I'm gonna not make it? And I got seventeen thousand dollars? You think I'm not gonna make them with?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Ain't think there's not gonna be a boom shadow. It was in a shot man. Watch every movie. I used to spend so much time when I worked at Boeing going through my favorite movies and going to the continuity mistakes section of them just to be like, man, and it doesn't impact what I think about the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're still good.
Speaker 1: And it stops people so many times from even trying, Like what if I make a mistake.
Speaker 2: You will embrace that. You will now what?
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gonna make a mistake, now what? Yeah, I was talking about that we just shot at the airport. My producer head of TV and film, Rich was like, I just feel like we're gonna make mistakes. Yes, Yeah, somebody's gonna come late, something's gonna work, the camera's gonna fall, We're not gonna get a shot.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 1: The audience doesn't know what didn't make it. They only know what made it, keV.
Speaker 2: That curtain has been pulled back so far. The magic of Hollywood that's gone. When you're seeing guys at south By Southwest or any of the film festivals and they're up there talking about their film, and then that's so what inspired you? What made you do it? At the moment I realized that absolutely no one knows everything, and no one knows everything that I was supposed to go.
Speaker 1: Watching. Ryan Coogler has been I've watched a lot of him over the Centers thing, and he was talking so much about his first his time shooting Black Panther. He he was like, I did so poorly with that. I was so in my head that I didn't appreciate the moment. I just thought I was gonna get fired the whole time. And I was like, man, I can see how that level of job is both a blessing but also like a tremendous burden. And he I'm thinking he's having the time of his life. He was like, it was terrible, man, it was absolutely terrible. And I think that's so key to what you said. Let's get back to your new production. Yes, sir, what made you decide that, all right, I got the experience, I got the financing, or I can get the financing. I'm now taking my traditional job in my own hand. Because like this new job streaming YouTube gaming, this was a new thing. But you're taking your old job into your own hands. What was that thought process?
Speaker 2: Like? There was a girl who I've known for the last two years, and she kept saying, I'm gonna write something for you. I'm gonna She would just drop it over the last two years, and then I would always say the same thing, if you write it, I will make sure it's filmed. Hm. We go into the holiday break at twenty twenty five. She comes back first week of twenty twenty six. She's like, I wrote something. Can I show it to you? I said, sure, I read it, and keV, it is nothing I would have ever written for myself. And that is why I did. That's why I was like, Okay, let's go, because I would have never written something like this. Let me just like, let me give you at least the context of what people would expect from someone like me for sure. For sure the anime, the action, the fighting, like people people fan cast me in comments every time they announce something new. They're like, Clear needs to be in that movie. Clear needs to be that superhero, he needs to be in the X Men. Like people do all that already, right, So yeah, that that lets me know that even for consumer people want to see me there. Yeah, and I would have written that myself. I have called gee, we did u a La Part fifteen and just ran that race. She brought me something, keV, that is I would It's weird. It's the best way I can put it. It's weird. It is a Cleo Thomas satire. I do play a child star, a former child star.
Speaker 1: Oh this is greatt oh, I can see it clear as day.
Speaker 2: Who is dealing with the changing landscape of entertainment and here we go. Just shut up. I give it to her.
Speaker 1: The best compliment I can give another writer or comedian is I am jealous that I did not think of that.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean you were.
Speaker 1: Right there in my life and I looked you in the face, and that I did never popped into my head.
Speaker 2: Oh you can kill that role, yeah man.
Speaker 1: Because people might not have seen you in Vigilante. I saw you in the short film with What's Good called Vigilante, and you're acting. Chops are really there, thank you, They are really there. And I could see you playing jaded. Oh oh that's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah man. She she came with something really different and it won't be the How can I? How can I? I could just say sattire. It's the best word I could put on. It is a sat tire thing. And there are some elements in here that I laughed at. I said I would never write or say anything like this, but I get how it can exist in the world that she perceived me from. So let's go. Yeah, so I'm just keeping my words. Oh that's so.
Speaker 1: I mean that makes me so happy because one it's brilliant. Two I think you can kill Three it doesn't exist, and there's not much that doesn't exist today now.
Speaker 3: M M.
Speaker 1: I was that hasn't been done.
Speaker 2: I was just having a conversation where you mentioned Wes and Wes just got through filming his first directorial feature length film, Man and to hear what was on it.
Speaker 1: For three weeks, I watched all their content West, I watched his rails about him prepping for the month ahead of time. I mean, it might as well have been me there. I was so happy, so happy. This is what he wanted and he got it. He's been working for this for a long time. Yes, I'm so glad he got there.
Speaker 2: We were he was here at my crib just not too long ago, and we were talking about h He had brought up some of the projects had worked on, and then he mentioned this film a day called Going to the Mat and it's about a blind collegiate wrestler in high school and he was like wait, wait, wait, wait wait. So the film is about a blind kid who joins the wrestling team, and I'm like yeah, He's like, how is that possible? I was like, it's a true story.
Speaker 1: Right, See these I've seen people like this, wrestling, football, all kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was his thing as far as like what what hasn't been made or what can't be done? So that's why even this connection with the writer Laana, like this is this is gonna be something. It's gonna be fun days one tomorrow. And like I told you, I'm just going full steam ahead.
Speaker 1: So do you even have a plan on what you want to do with it or you just want to make it right now?
Speaker 2: I would love I would love to talk with you once it's made. I want to talk with you about all right, I have it done. Here's one of my next steps. And here's what I'm thinking. Very good?
Speaker 1: All right, before we let you go, Kleio, is there anything else that you are excited about, want to chat about, or want to tell people about before you do the end of things you do at the end of podcasts.
Speaker 2: Man, just continue to look out for everything that's being built. Man, I got it once again. Give my phrase to Kevin on stage for being a blue friend. Boy. Man, I see the lands. I saw the landscape shift, and I saw the landscape shift again like even like very quickly. When we think of streaming, right, we're all in the pandemic gaming and that. But then what happened when the when the world opened up, all the IRL streaming took off. Now we're seeing every big streamer. They're all their own walking episodes of jackass. You feel me. Their controduction value is crazy.
Speaker 1: They spend a lot of money to make you feel like they're not spending a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Oh bro.
Speaker 1: I went to three Yeah, it's production. I met with producers who produced that and who have produced TV and movies and said, that's easily the hardest thing they've ever produced because it works like live TV, yep, which is hard. Live television is very hard. Everything is hard, but on the scale of hard, live is harder. And you got celebrity bookings twenty four hours a day, like it's insane. These people are legit like paving a whole new path for what entertainment is.
Speaker 2: And are you asking all these questions? I have a question to ask you. Then return if we're talking about them specifically as far as these IRL streaming and it's can it sustained? And is there a crossover because when I look at some of the ones who were who are the pillars of it? Yeah, I'm like, they're gonna run out of gas eventually. Yeah, these antics are only gonna go so far. You've got I show speed now. In WrestleMania, he has a match with Logan Paul and Austin Theory going up against the USOS in l a Night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm gonna be there too.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to be there, but I gotta go do my pilot.
Speaker 1: You're making the right choice, trust me, you're making the right choice. No, I think the path is always there. The format can change, you know. I think about like Peutie Pie, who was on top of YouTube for years playing games. He totally changed his whole thing up, and Logan Paul, for example, vine snapchat, YouTube, daily vlogs. He was the first person that I remember, maybe not first, but that I remember who hired an editor on the other side of the world and sent him the footage or him or hear the footage at the end of the night LA time and when they were waking up.
Speaker 2: In London.
Speaker 1: They're editing while he sleeps, so it can be up at eight am in the morning. But and then he completely shifted and went to wrestling. KSI and Simon they you know, they're on Netflix, mister Beast is doing his show. Like if you have that sort of star power, I think the medium can change. But you you are who you are as long as you don't get you know, addicted to drugs or in jail like you can you can. Speed could take up reading and do a book club and read books out loud, and he probably would have a New York Times bestseller. Like some people just got it. So I think that I don't think. I do think there's a certain level that you know, once you've done everything, you've done everything, but there's always new things to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely at the success and market Player is the one that got me for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh I can't know how many times I have used that as an example. Yeah, that Iron Lung I believe it's called and then Hollywood basically being like, actually that movie ain't there no more?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: It was number two, him making I think seventeen or nineteen million dollars opening weekend off of something he paid for himself. That was all I needed to hear.
Speaker 2: keV.
Speaker 1: I said, hey, I've I've been doubted myself. I said, I don't think I could go get people to go in movies and buy a ticket to see me. And I'm I was talking to a friend of mine. He was like, people buy a ticket to see you every year. Why wouldn't they go into a movie theater, cav you sell tickets every year all over the United States, London. You don't do that well in Paris, in Berlin, but you.
Speaker 2: Know you speak of the bone speak. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't say this. You don't do the begin I don't do I do the begett. I just say it in English. But that Marketplier story was like, Okay, this is a new thing. And I had not I hadn't heard of him, and I didn't need to because his people really showed up for him. So my hope for you is that your people show up for you. And I'm your people too, So congratulations on that. I love I love that. I can't wait to support that. However, you need me to tell people about it wherever it comes out. I'm very excited, but before we let you go, tell people where they can find you and all that and all that.
Speaker 2: Jazz Man. Make sure you guys follow at Cleo Thomas across all social media platforms at Clio Thomas, look at to the four controllers. That's four controllers, but a k by the way, on all social media platforms as well, and continue to see us build something special. Man. I can't wait to continue to work with keV and raise some amazing stuff to life.
Speaker 1: My dog let John Cleo Thomas. Not my Best Moment, God bless you guys, will.
Speaker 2: See you again.
Speaker 1: This has been a Unanimous Media original. Not My Best Mama was produced by iHeart Podcast and Unanimate Media. It was hosted by Me Kevin Fredericks. The executive produced by Stephen Curry, Eric Payton and Charlotte Sumter Rigette Co executive producer Klena Maria Cutney. The executive producers of the iHeart Podcast are Sean ty Tone and Jason English. This series was produced by Peter Calter and Jabari Davis, Co producer Kurt Redmond. Special thanks to Stephen Curry and Will Pearson. Not My Best Moment as a production of Unanimous Media and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.